[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 62

File: dropthebass.jpg (25KB, 506x322px) Image search: [Google]
dropthebass.jpg
25KB, 506x322px
Bass Edition
old thread:
>>2457049 → (Cross-thread)

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.
Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:

-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
Discord:
>http://discord.gg/NkUApvw
>>
>>2461486
>>2461503

Someone help me
>>
I'm still gay
>>
>>2461541
Adding anything that will stay in the water column will raise the TDS. Compare the TDS of your aquarium and tap water.
>>
File: Gay-fish.jpg (82KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Gay-fish.jpg
82KB, 600x450px
>>2461542
>>
>>2461541
prime neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals but it doesn't magically remove them from the water column

TDS are irrelevant anyway stop testing your water
>>
>>2461552
>TDS are irrelevant anyway stop testing your water
this.

TDS is only useful for checking your RO/DI water before it goes in the tank.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNUnBb2Fgms

I just got these guys. They are the best looking hillstream loaches I've seen. I think they are Pseudogastromyzon cheni.
>>
How many fish in the trade are wild-caught? Does it hurt their natural populations?
>>
>>2461574
in freshwater about 1%
in saltwater about 95%

no, it usually has no effect on wild populations. There are a few exceptions, mostly in saltwater.
>>
>>2461579
Are marine species generally harder to breed or just not as established as freshwater yet? Seems pretty crazy if the vast majority of them are imports.
>>
>>2461590
they usually have more specific spawning needs that require all sorts of special conditions which makes it harder
>>
>>2461542
Shut up fag
>>
>>2461564
I went to pick up some Albino Cory's and impulse bought two of these guys. Where I was told they were Butterfly Loaches at my local Petco.
Though mine are missing the yellow coloration that yours have have on the dorsal fin, red's there though.

They don't seem to enjoy being out in the open like yours, hoping adding another power head makes them come out more instead of being by the filter always. Probably will pick up another fellow too, the woman who helped me said they would be fine solo, so I grabbed two. Why I listened to her is beyond me.

On another note I'm pretty sure one of my otocinclus is going to die in my other tank. It's always resting and I've never see it eating, and the stomach never looks full. Now there even looks like detritus is building up on top. What do you guys try to do when they don't take to eating? Its been about a week since adding them. I've tried algae wafers, boiled zucchini, and romaine lettuce.
>>
File: otorip5.jpg (162KB, 1731x974px) Image search: [Google]
otorip5.jpg
162KB, 1731x974px
>>2461639
forgot the pic, not that you can see anything really
>>
File: IMG_20170821_184201.jpg (484KB, 1609x1894px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170821_184201.jpg
484KB, 1609x1894px
What's this plant? Got it from Petmeme a while ago and lost the packaging.
>>
>>2461649
Rotala rotundifolia that was not grown completely submersed in water.

The new growth will be more pointed leaves as you are growing them completely underwater.

With the right conditions, they can also turn a nice shade of copper.
>>
>>2461564
Cool video with the loaches. Always thought they were a little creepy but nice seeing them friendly like that. Didn't know they burrowed either. Pretty neat.
>>
>>2461661
Cool, thanks for the info!
>>
File: succ.jpg (154KB, 877x658px) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
154KB, 877x658px
>>
I'm going away for the weekend, and I have no one to feed my little crayfish. Do you think he'll survive 3 days without food? If not, what should I do
>>
>>2461709
Just get a auto feeder
>>
File: neon.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
neon.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
I'm happy to say that my first tank is now housing fish. Thank you /aq/ for all your advice. Feels damn great.

It's 10g and for now it's stocked with 6 neons. I was planning on adding a female dwarf gourami later on, but now I'm not too sure. Generally people seem to agree that one d. gourami and a small school of tetras is fine for 10g, but the guy in my LFS told me a gourami would be too much, so I'm kinda rethinking it
Any alternatives? I was thinking of just going all-neons, adding 2-3 more, and maybe an invertebrate or two, llike a snail or a few shrimps. Would RCS be okay in a non-planted tank?
>>
File: datbass.jpg (25KB, 600x333px) Image search: [Google]
datbass.jpg
25KB, 600x333px
In theory, how big of a tank would you need to house a small or largemouth bass?
>>
>>2461709
Most aquatic life can easily go 7+ days without food. It'll be fine.
>>
>>2461755
probably about 120 unless you're a wizard with filtration, flow, and oxygenation.
>>
So I'm still in the middle of cycling my 10g, but I've been thinking about what i want to put in it and Im starting to lean towards a single community fish instead of trying to spread it out

what are some cool shoaling or schooling fish I can fit at least 8 of in my 10g
as well as getting along with cherry shrimp
>>
>>2461709
I didn't feed my tetras for 2 weeks and 2 out of 7 survived. I'm pretty sure they resorted to cannibalism but that's beside the point
>>
>>2461709
If you have plants in the tank he'll probably eat those while you're gone, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>2461763
neon tetras my dude
>>
>Golden Apple snails are adorable
>they get gigantic af
wish i could get something as pretty, but i only got a 10g
>>
>>2461763
will sparkling gouramis pick on or otherwise eat cherry shrimp if I have them in the same tank?
also based on what I've been reading it says to keep them in pairs or small groups
what exactly is a small group

>>2461769
now I don't really have anything against neons, but I don't know I guess I just want to be a fish hipster. Definitely and easy fallback though
>>
>>2461775
My favorite schooling/shoaling fish are barbs. Lots of variety to chose from and they're quite active.
>>
>>2461775
How about lemon tetras. Ten gallons might be a little small for a school of 8, but 5 or 6 should be okay.
>>
How can I tell if my fish are gasping for air or just expecting food?

They're swimming near the surface with their mouths open but I'm wondering if they're just confusing the co2 bubbles with food.

Whenever I move to the tank they stop swimming near the surface.
>>
How do you pet a fish???
>>
>>2462028
A bit more information, they only go up there periodically then go back to the bottom of the tank.
Also they seem to be following each other when they go to the bottom or top of the tank
>>
>>2462038
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge-gC31FK9Q
>>
>>2462050
Don't wanna be that guy but that tank is small innit
>>
>>2462058
needs a 1000 gallon tank any less is abuse
>>
>>2461709
Feed him something a little more substantial leading up to the trip then do a water change, he should be just fine if he's had a few days of good eating before hand.

If you're really worried about him throw some cheap plants in there with him and he'll probably eat those when he gets hungry.
>>
I have a 56 US gallon tank that I currently have the following stocked in it:

>4 black ruby barb (2 male 2 female)
>1 clown pleco

I want to add another 4 black ruby barbs and 8 dwarf neon rainbows, how over/under stocked would my tank be?
>>
File: 20170822_132454-01.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_132454-01.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
How long until I can propogate these Java ferns? They're about 15 mm root to tip at the moment.
>>
File: 20170822_161647.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_161647.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
First time showing him on here, my Betta Revan!

Prepping a much larger tank for him at the moment, but do not want to move him before the cycling is complete!

Clover is being a shit, putting the picture sideways. Sorry about that if it is posted as such.
>>
>>2462106
http://aqadvisor.com
Dunno why it's not in the OP. In the end how stocked your aquarium is isn't all that important. It depends on how often you're willing to do maintenance on it.
>>
>>2461590

just specific

More and more are being bred now, virtually all clowns are captive for example
>>
>>2462120
Go ahead and pull it off. Sometimes a gentle tug will get the baby off, but if you leave it on, the parent leaf will sometimes die. Java fern is a tough as fuck plant, you're not going to hurt it no matter what.
>>
File: Resized_20170821_161920.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20170821_161920.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Does my betta fish need an aquarium light?

It's in my kitchen area so receives ample light during the day which obviously lessens into night.

I'd prefer the more natural approach to light but I'm not sure if he needs more or not?
>>
>>2462242
Don't keep your tank in direct sunlight. It will cause temperature fluctuations that will stress your fish out, and probably also an algae bloom.
Move it out of the sunlight, and get a cheap light if you're using plastic plants, or a decent one if you're using live plants.
>>
>>2462266

It isn't in direct sunlight.
>>
>>2462028
>>2462046
Gasping for air generally is a full-time activity.

>>2462242
>>2462273
In general, aquariums tend to are lit too long.

At the equator, average daylight is around 12 hours, 11 minutes (the Earth isn't perfectly round), yet in an indoor setting, you could be lighting up your tank 16 hours or more, because in your kitchen, it'll start to get light as soon as sunrise while you're asleep, and will continue to get light well past sunset because you'll be home doing random shit. For instance sunrise for me tomorrow is 6:29am, and I go to sleep at midnight. if i had natural light + my indoor light on my tank, that'd be a period of 16.5 hours.

For plants it's not that bad because the intensity of indoor lights is in general WAY less, so in the end the PAR they're receiving over the day can be balanced out.

However your fish likely don't give too much of a shit about intensity to a reasonable amount, they just care about whether they're sleeping enough.
>>
>>2462106
Way understocked.
>>
File: 20170822_195600.jpg (2MB, 1878x1726px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_195600.jpg
2MB, 1878x1726px
So this stand has been holding a full 20 gallon for like 5 months. Today i cleaned it all since it was a turtle tank and moved him since he got too big for it. The stand supports all 4 corners but as you can probably see its just a few centimeters short. Should i say eff it and make it a planted tank since its been full for 5 months or make another stand
>>
>>2462314
Nevermind guys ive decided to build a stand instead i dont want to risk it
>>
>>2461671
thanks for the succ my friend
>>
>>2462214
Awesome I'm going to take those guys off and tie them to something! Thanks
>>
>>2462242
Unless you have plants the majority of aquarium lights are only for you. They brighten everything up and make it look nicer. But if left on too long will cause algae just like direct sunlight of any amount.
>>
Do corys school or shoal?
>>
File: fuckingmouthbreathers.png (770KB, 480x920px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingmouthbreathers.png
770KB, 480x920px
Betta vs Gourami round 2

Who is the superior labyrinth fish
>>
>>2462408
probably shoal
>>
>>
>>2461671
>Big succ teaching little succ how to succ properly
>>
Wtf is going on with my new aquarium?

I'm barely injecting any co2 and yet my fish are still swimming at the top gasping.

I moved the fish from a smaller tank that had a canister filter running on it. No need to cycle the new tank as I moved the same canister filter over to the new, bigger tank. Then I added 5 more fish.

And I've just come come to see them gasping for air, plus an Ammano shrimp dead... an Amanno shrimp that has been living in an unfiltered tank I never changed the water in for a year.

Wtf is going on?
>>
>>2462742
Water tests? drop checker?
>>
>>2462749
Not got any in the house because I stopped needing either a long time ago.
>>
File: 20170823_121444~2.jpg (2MB, 4190x2358px) Image search: [Google]
20170823_121444~2.jpg
2MB, 4190x2358px
How can i get this water clearer. I'm trying for Blackwater so the tint is perfect, i just hate the murkiness.
Its a newly cycled tank
>>
>>2462761
Water changes. Blackwater isn't a steady thing, it'll gradually increase in murkiness until each water change. What I'd do is start with only a few leaves, and then add more until the average murkiness is perfect.
>>
>>2462753
I managed to find an old test kit in the garage. Somehow I have 0.25ppm of ammonia, DESPITE this filter being fully cycled.
>>
>>2462764
I'm just using coconut fiber mixed with sand as bedding to get the effect
I honestly think it might be the sand clouding it up
>>
>>2462769
What kind of filter are you using? Try adding some filter wool to get rid of any sand that might be floating around. If that doesn't help, you can run active carbon to get rid of some tannin.
>>
>>2462770
I'm running a few tetra whisper filters. Ones for a 10 gallon and the other is a 20
Ill pick up some wool and carbon
>>
>>2462761
Why are you keeping a betta in blackwater?
>>
>>2462778
>betta in blackwater
But why. Blackwater looks great with more mean-looking or predator-looking fish, such as oscars, but bettas look best when brightly lit in clear water.
>>
>>2462778
>>2462780
His 10 gallon started leaking and this was already cycled but empty. I figured he'd be a steady source of ammonia too, so it works
>>
>>2462787
What else are you going to put in there?

I do think the cloudiness is from the substrate, especially if the substrate is new.
>>
>>2462790
Some cories, a bristlenose pleco and black neons.
I don't think he'll have any problems
>>
>>2462766
Are you sure your filter can support this tank? Maybe it's too big for it and water circulation is not that good?
Did you allow your filter to cycle the tank at all before adding the fish, or did you do it immediately? If you did it immediately, you are a dumdass. Your filter might have a bacterial colony, but the water doesn't. It takes time, depending on the water volume. You should have waited like 2 or 3 days.
Did you add anything else from the previous tank to the new one? Gravel, rocks, plants, wood etc also carry beneficial bacteria. If you got any, add them.
Did you add water conditioner? Dechlorinator? If not, all your fish will die by tomorrow.
Also, you shouldn't have added all the animals at once. You should have moved just one guy to monitor his progress before moving the rest.
Moreover, you will always need to do water tests, at least every couple of months. Go buy some.
>>
>>2462780
>>2462778
I'm gonna add that this betta is fine. He's eating, active and been making bubbles like any healthy betta should
>>
>>2462801
I'm not saying he's unhappy, just that bettas aren't the kind of fish that look good in blackwater.
>>
>>2462810
I actually really like it. He looks like a moving shadow.
He's not a particularly colorful betta anyways. Mostly dark blue with a bit of red at the tips.
>>
>>2462798
Didn't add anything from old tank as didn't want to introduce any algae.
>>
>>2462814
Your tank will get algae with or without the old stuff if you give it the conditions for algae growth
>>
>>2462816
if I only use invitro plants and cover the tank no algae will be able to get in there.
>>
>>2462818
Did you start a new filter and use fish from a sterile environment?
>>
>>2462819
algae doesn't frow in filters and on fish.
>>
File: 1502965504546.png (564KB, 532x518px) Image search: [Google]
1502965504546.png
564KB, 532x518px
Planning on putting a group of tiger barbs, a couple of gold honey gourami and a pleco in a 50 gal, any suggestions for a larger sort of "centrepiece" tankmate? I was thinking of a redtail shark but I'm afraid it would be aggressive and apparently they live forever.

Also I'm just starting out and only really want to stock cheaper, hardier fish to begin with in case I fuck up royally and kill them all.
>>
Why is the market for low flow, small external filters so tiny?
>>
>>2462821
Algae spores are carried by them.
>>
File: af2.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
af2.png
29KB, 741x568px
Is a 150L per hour external filter ok for a 45L aquarium?

The next step up in size is 400L per hour and it's supposed to be for a 100L tank
>>
>>2462830
Algae spores are present in any water that's been exposed to both light and air. Even your tapwater carries algae spores.
>>
>>2462820
can any of you help me?
>>
>>2462837
Yes, it will be fine. I got an internal 175L/h for my 40L tank.
>>
File: 1502359589347.jpg (36KB, 600x571px) Image search: [Google]
1502359589347.jpg
36KB, 600x571px
can i get a quick rundown on this fish?
>>
>>2462844
Ugly poop factory that people mutated by selective breeding to make it look "pretty" that needs over 1000 gallons to live.
>>
File: 14COhR2.png (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
14COhR2.png
24KB, 512x512px
>High nitrites
>Replace 90% of the water
>Nitrites still high
>>
>>2462844
>Fish stores bow to the Goldanoffs
>in contact with aliens
>rumoured to possess psychic abilities
>control the aquarium with an iron fist
>own castles and plastic treasure chests all over the world
>direct descendants of the ancient royal blood line
>will bankroll the first aquariums on Mars (Goldangrad will be be the first)
>own basically every DNA editing research facility on Earth
>first designer fish were Goldanoff fry
>said to have 200+ IQ
>ancient Indian scriptures tell of two angels who will descend upon the Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
>They own Nanobot R&D labs around the world
>You likely have Goldabots inside you right now
>The Goldanoffs are in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church
>They learned fluent French in under a week
Nation states entrust their gold reserves with the fish. There's no gold in Ft. Knox, only Ft. Goldanoff
>The fish is 67 years old, from the space-time reference point of the base human.
In reality, it is a timeless being existing in all points of time and space from the Gold bang to the end of the universe
>The Goldanoffs will guide fishkind into a new age of wisdom, peace and love
>>
>>2462850
Remove any rotting food you may have dropped in the tank to cycle it, wait a few days, do another big water change and re-test. Test again the next day.
>>
>>2462852
thanks friendo
>>
>he's thinking of putting the other Arowana in the 4000g
Oh boy, I wonder what's gonna happen.
>>
>>2462896
The same thing that happened to the last one
>>
>>2462850
Test your tap water
>>
>>2462899
Noob here, how the fuck do arowana even survive in the wild if having a small log poking out of the water is enough to kill them? Do these fish just jump on sharp stuff for kicks?
>>
My tetras are freaking out whenever I shut the tank light.
They break formation and dart around frantically for a few seconds. They are fine afterwards; they calm down and go to sleep soon enough, but still I'm worried they might hurt themselves or jump out of the water and hit the lid and get damaged or have a heart attack or something.
I've tried putting my hand under the light (I'm just sing a desk lamp) to provide some shadow before I completely black them out, but it doesn't seem to help much.
The room light is still on when I turn off the tank light (the tank's in my bedroom and the light stays on for at least 2-4 hours after theirs).

I got them a few days ago and I suppose they will just get used to it, but I'm worried. Anything I can do?
>>
>>2462905
They're exposed to things and conditioned to not be spooked by plants and freak out.
They're open water fish too
>>
>>2462905
>Do these fish just jump on sharp stuff for kicks?
No, they land on them by accident if something startles them enough to jump. I don't know shit about arowanas either, but I'd imagine they survive either by swimming in more "open" waters or by being less stupid than their in-captivity counterparts.
>>
>>2462905
how do birds even survive in the wild when they fly against windows lol haha xD

retard
>>
File: LOceanografic.jpg (3MB, 4032x2687px) Image search: [Google]
LOceanografic.jpg
3MB, 4032x2687px
So I've been researching tank 'cleaning fish', and I've come across a few that I might be interested in, but I wanted your guys opinion.

I want something that will definitely keep the algae off the glass-even when it reaches maturity. I can supplement it's diet with protein based food to make sure it leaves the other fish alone, and I have a four foot long tank, but will probably only be keeping about 20-30 gallons in it. I am considering building a sump for it, or something else to deal with a larger bio-load than 20 gallons might normally entail.

I'm also looking into keeping guppies, a small school of cories (though I'm not set on those, they seem to produce quite a bit of waste), and maybe some harlequin rasbora.

I don't really want snails for fear of them escaping, and I'm hesitant on shrimp, both because they are difficult to find near where I live, and I don't want them to just get eaten if I decide to have a bigger or more aggressive fish in the tank later down the road.
>>
>>2462915
Sorry to dash your hopes and dreams, but nothing will keep algae off the glass 100%.
>>
>>2462912
The difference is that logs are naturally occurring, whereas windows are artificial. Birds dont encounter window-like objects in the wild

retard
>>
>>2462924
how about some VERY thin iceberg?

retard
>>
>>2462919
Well I know I'll be doing some maintenance, but I don't want the plants and such getting too covered in algae.
>>
>Rays died
>Arowana died

Why is this guy so bad with fish?
>>
>>2462928
turns out that just throwing around money isn't enough to keep advanced species
>>
>>2462928
>Rays died
No they didn't. Or are you talking about those that died years ago?
>>
That's what you get for having a stock worth more than $30. Fish die, they're pathetic creatures that can't deal with anything.
>>
File: lg_rd_970380_13585.jpg (68KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
lg_rd_970380_13585.jpg
68KB, 576x576px
>>2462915
For clean glass.
I have a 3 or 4 inch pleco in my 55g but he doesn't do shit for the glass. There is a bunch of snails also but they don't seem to do much either.
>>
>>2462915
Cories are adorable enough to make up for it. Plus they do help keep the plants clean when they rummage through them.
But I mean theres otocinclus, chinese algae eaters, bristle nose plecos... just as the generic recommendation. But you'll still have algae problems if that's all you want to do about it. You won't be able to get a fish that keeps it clean with no effort on your part.

>>2462931
Assuming he is.
>>
>Human gets stressed
>Becomes stronger, faster, more powerful

>Fish gets stressed
>Literally gives up and dies

Why?
>>
>>2462940
>reddit spacing
Why?
>>
>>2462940
When a fish gets stressed, what we mean isn't that he can't sleep because work and the wife and the three kids are keeping him up, it's that the fish isn't in a healthy environment. Keep a person stuck in the same tiny room feeding him the exact same meal every day for years, and he'll also get sickly.
>>2462941
>if your post is readable then you're from reddit
>>
>>2462943
I don't mean that kind of stress I mean the kind of stress people are under during war. And disasters.
>>
>>2462945
I have an odessa barb that got blinded in both eyes over the span of a year, suffered internal injuries from repeated fights, looked dead and was tossed from a heavily alkaline tank to a 10gal blackwater to be fertilizer.
Several months later, he's still kicking.
>>
>>2462945
Stress doesn't really make people stronger, faster, and more powerful. Its bad for our health too. We just happen to be 6 feet tall monkeys not fucking little bitch ass fish.
>inb4 muh good stress
>>
File: snails.jpg (42KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
snails.jpg
42KB, 720x540px
What are these snails doing? Are they mating?
>>
>>2462965
got dam that water is green

that's what snail mating usually looks like but I would be surprised if the smaller one were mature
>>
>>2462925
lmao
>>
>>2462970
It's my authentic pond tank.
>>
>>2462960
This. Warm blood makes us a hell of a lot better at handling imperfect conditions than puny cold-blooded creatures.
>>
>>2462972
green water is cool

I try really hard to cloud my river tank for maximum REEL but it's actually more difficult than having crystal water
>>
Hey, I just received some RCS in the mail. They're in a mesh breeder box in my 40 gallon, next to my filter output, and for some reason a bunch of them are climbing up the mesh(somewhat out of the water) to be in the water stream. Any ideas why? Do they just like flowing water? I don't think they're trying to escape, they're only climbing the part where water is flowing.
>>
>>2463014
Mine actually turned green by accident. The water is pretty clear now because I added willow branches and did some water changes. That pic was taken on August 9th. I was kinda bummed for a while because I couldn't see any of my fish!
>>
Is it possible to have too much filtration?
>>
>>2463056
bacteria will die off when there is not enough waste product to sustain them, so you will either have insufficient filtration or just the right amount

why did you make this post
>>
>>2463016
Yeah, they like the flow.
>>
>>2463067
ur mom likes the flow L M A O
>>
My osmocote came in the mail today but im suddenly realizing ive never heard anyone talking about it outside of forums

Anyone here use it in their tanks? Any problems? I currently have a shitton of Dwarf Sag, some Pearlweed, an Amazon Sword variant and its offspring, a golden Anubia and a single Jungle Vallisneria that got mixed in with my Guppy Grass
>>
>>2462915
>I don't really want snails for fear of them escaping
I've never had nerite snails leave my aquariums before, or any other snails for that matter. Apple snails will leave the water to lay their eggs, but if your only filling the tank partway that won't be an issue.
>>
>>2463093
nerites are the best algae eating snails.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_165830.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_165830.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
Can anyone ID this pleco?
>>
>>2463098
Facebookitus Filenamius
>>
>>2463103
Actually it's Amazonius Kindletus.
>>
>>2463098
looks like a Pleco to me
>>
>>2463098
If it's dorsal fin connects to that second little fin, I'm guessing Baryancistrus.
If not, post a pic of the mouth to see if it's Hypancistrus. Teeth will be a sharp V if so.
I haven't the faintest clue what its L number might be, can't tell plecs apart worth crap.
>>
>>2463098
I didn't know Plecos came from Australia!
>>
>>2462841
please can someoene respond?
>>
>>2463061
I'm being given a large filter for free and I'm a complete beginner
>>
>>2463126
You can take the decoration out and scrub it, or hope somebody eats them. Though, even if they rot, it won't impact your water quality much.
>>
>>2461734
i have 6 neon tetras and a betta in a 20 gallon tank. newb here too. i wouldn't put a betta in with your tetras in a 10 gallon tank. i had 8 to start but the betta killed two right off the bat. since then they have been cool. maybe he was just trying to show them who was boss. btw isn't it cool how neons light goes out when they're sleeping? same thing happens when they die, but then they turn even more white.
>>
>>2463129
you can't really have too much filtration capacity but you can have too much flow/current
>>
>>2463135
That's what I thought, I was just being safe
>>
My angelfish chases the laser pointer :3
>>
>>2463162
Yeah, my goldfish go crazy for it.
>>
my substrate is only like an inch deep, 1.5 in some places but I don't feel like spending more more on expensive substrates in tiny bags. Would I see any adverse effect from capping what I have with 2-3 inches of pool filter sand? I don't want to kill my plants
>>
what's considered the ideal tank size for the average enthusiast who is going to have the aquarium set up as a room piece, 50 gallons? i mean, assuming you don't own a mansion and could have a dream tank.
>>
>>2463194
wash/rinse it really well and it should be ok, that is, assuming it's not actual used pool filter sand. in that case don't use it duh.
>>
>>2463202
5, 40, or large cube

5 is nice for allowing you to concentrate your budget on higher quality equipment and learn a lot with less risk of accidental neglect. you will be less motivated to keep your tank clean when you have to reach 4 feet back and 18 inches down like I do with my 4x4

40b is a good footprint to grow into, good stocking potential and it will take a new fishkeeper a good amount of effort to keep up with. If you get something like a 20L or a 30 you will just wish you had gotten the 40b

at this point it depends on what your stocking goals are. I say when you go to 75 and above if you want to keep relatively large fish then get a square/cube tank. for the gallonage you will start to think about the bigger fish you can keep. but long narrow tanks are super fuckin gay for fish that aren't more vertically oriented like angels and discus. people think a fish that is a foot long should be cool in a 4-6' tank and they can be, but they forget that the depth is only maybe 15-18 inches sometimes and fish don't just want to do a down & back relay with tight turns at the end every second of their entire lives. get a square tank and at the same gallonage they will have less lateral distance to move but also not have to make tight turns
>>
>>2461552
Is it? I use a TDS meter to monitor nutrient uptake when starting a new tank. Getting a baseline of your TDS level before dosing ferts and with clean water, allows you to determine a more effective dosing schedule.
>>
>>2462126
>ornamental bettas

Why do people still buy these? Are betta shows still a thing?
>>
File: 4dacc0ba980a2.jpg (31KB, 426x309px) Image search: [Google]
4dacc0ba980a2.jpg
31KB, 426x309px
>>2462445
This one right here, fag.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_203406.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_203406.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>2462761
That's not blackwater friend... that's green water algae. Might want to look into a UV sterilizer.

This is blackwater.
>>
>>2463227
>>
>>2463230
Paradise fish are the father of all anabantoids in this hobby. Show some respeck ya cunt.
>>
>>2461709
I once went a month without feeding or changing the water of two of my tanks, and they were okay. Granted, the tanks were heavily planted and none of them had a crayfish.
So take it with a grain of salt
>>
>>2463093
Really? I keep reading about people losing them do to them escaping, but if that's not going to be a problem, then that will probably be my go to then.
>>
>>2463229
It's a lot clearer now, and it's definitely stained by tannins since half the substrate is releasing them. The other half of the substrate is sand which was added a few days ago so it and the strong UVB light are the issue.
However, that's pretty damn close to what I'm aiming for. What kind of branch is that?
>>
>>2463227
how do paradise fish fair with other fishes?
my manager is generally pretty knowledgeable about fish stuff, but he swears that they're the most peaceful gourami he's ever had.
are they a betta kind of thing, where they vary pretty widely in personality?

also, would a 10g be good enough for one? should they be in pairs?
>>
>>2463130
very well thanks friend
i feel sorry for katy should i get her a friend? maybe she is lonely
>>
>>2463260
might be helpful if you included some information like what type of fish your commie ass has
>>
>>2463273
she is carassius auratus
maybe too much big fish will make the tank get cramped and small, but if i give her a small friend she might hurt them?
i was thinking about a loricariidae of some sorts
>>
>>2462928
Didnt his rays die because a heater exploded in the middle of the night or something? And that was a few years ago iirc.
The arowana is his fault though because it was obviously going to happen sooner or later and could have been circumvented by just having the top of the wood a couple of inches lower than the water level
>>
>>2463282
>a goldfish
uhhuh and what size is your tank exactly?
>>
>>2463132
It's alright, I decided to just raise their population to 8. While I'd love to have some variety, I'm too afraid that something might go bad if I add something bigger, so I'll go with the safe route.

>btw isn't it cool how neons light goes out when they're sleeping?
I knew already that their colors die out when they are sleeping, but the other night one of the tetras went to a pale, gray-pink-ish color like a minute after I turned off the light and the fucker scared me. I didn't know they lose their color that fast. Of course, he was fine the next morning. Gave me a scare, but yeah it's pretty cool.
>>
>>2463132
>>2463362
By the way, can you help me with this? >>2462908
>>
I'm want to do a 5 gal tank for a betta and would like to do a sponge filter in it. Any recommendations on air pumps?
I'm also new to aquariums in general so any additional advise or comments are appreciated.

yes I did read the op
>>
>>2463404
The Fusion 200 has a good value for a tank that size. It doesn't have the strength to run anything more than that one sponge filter, but it's only $6 and is decently quiet. If you pad the feet a little more it is nearly silent.
>>
>>2462928
He really isn't though. The rays that died before was because of a real freak accident of a heater exploding.
The arowana however is his fault as he basically was too overconfident in the larger space of the new tank that he just assumed nothing would happen even though he knew arowanas are jumping, fast darting fish who can ram themselves into decor. (Honestly if he had his hardscape nowhere even near the surface where the arowana swims and less of it, it probably would have been fine)

Beyond that, I don't really recall him losing any other fish besides rehoming others he didn't want anymore.
>>
>>2463254
Maple trimmings.

Not ideal, was just using what was readily available.
>>
>>2463306
Oh boy.. here we go.
>>
>>2463257
They do alright as long as you give them plenty of space and try not to house them with other gourami types.

Best to keep them in trio, as in a pair sometimes the male can bully the female to death. If you're aiming for personality, get a betta.

They get up to about 3'', so a trio would be perfect for a 10 gallon species showcase. However, I would recommend a larger aquarium, as the male gets extremely territorial when spawning conditions are present in the tank, and having that extra space for them to separate themselves is best.
>>
>>2463457
I'll take a look at it
thanks for the response
>>
>>2463306
~24lts, 20 cm long, 30 heigth and 40 depth
>>
>>2463500
*inhales*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2463500
>goldfish
>6 gallon

Ya goofed.
>>
>>2463504
>>2463507
yes she needs a bigger tank but should i get her another fish if i get a bigger tank? can fishes feel loneliness?
>>
>>2463365
>>2462908
Mine do the exact same thing. I wouldn't worry. Seems to be normal. They're kind of spastic in general. I was worried one of mine would hit the glass or something else so hard it would hurt itself but so far that hasn't happened.

I do sort of the same thing...turn off tank light and leave room light on so they don't go from full light to total darkness.
>>
>>2463513
Yes. Get a 40 breeder and throw something else in there.
>>
>>2463485
I'm assuming oak would be the best?
>>
>>2463515
Okay, good to know it's not something to worry about. Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (289KB, 424x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289KB, 424x550px
>>2461538
Bass you say
>>
>>2463544
I kek'd pretty hard anon, hats off
>>
Posting an update. More sand has settled and i love how the suhstrate turned out
>>
File: 20170824_132441~2.jpg (1MB, 4190x2358px) Image search: [Google]
20170824_132441~2.jpg
1MB, 4190x2358px
Forgot the photo
>>
How do you suppress algae growth in a tank?

Algae likes all the stuff plants do.
>>
>>2463571
Have lots of plants.
>>
Best place to buy Saltwater fish online?
>>
>>2463573
Just get them for free out the sea duh
>>
>>2463575
nigga the ocean is a good 3 states away from where I live
>>
>>2463583
liveaquaria.com
>>
Are there any smaller eel or eel-like critters I could get away with in a 20 gallon?
>>
>>2463609
Loaches.
>>
File: ornate bichir.jpg (73KB, 640x301px) Image search: [Google]
ornate bichir.jpg
73KB, 640x301px
>>2463609
bichir are fun. friendly too. this little guy is only about 2 inches fully grown. he could easily be housed with a small school of 20 neon tetras or something similar.
>>
>He put another arowana in the absolute madman
>>
File: 1410369641284.jpg (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1410369641284.jpg
54KB, 625x626px
>>2463638
>bichir
>2 inches
>housing with neons
>>
File: 1499496725534.jpg (40KB, 462x485px) Image search: [Google]
1499496725534.jpg
40KB, 462x485px
My betta has popeye, but how? The water is fine with none of the parameters being crazy and I've had the betta for over a year. How did it get sick?
>>
>>2463609
Leeches.
>>
File: 1502028854565.jpg (135KB, 593x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502028854565.jpg
135KB, 593x640px
>Spend ages banking up substrate making an eyepleasing layout
>Within a few weeks it's all rolled to the front of the tank.
>>
File: 1497300491686.png (295KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497300491686.png
295KB, 600x600px
>>2463655
you just... made, like, a sand hill without anything to keep it in place?
>>
probably not the best place to ask this but i don't know where else on 4chan...

I have property up north with a cabin on it, and a ~400 acre lake. I own all the property around the lake. The lake is filled with only perch and northern pike. it's a sandy bottom lake.

would it be possible to dump enough rocks in one end of the lake to have a rocky bottom, or will they eventually all sink and be covered by the mud/sand?

my goal is to plant walleye in the lake, but I want them to be self sustaining eventually. they generally like rocky areas to spawn as far as i know? Will walleye spawn in a sandy bottom lake?
>>
File: DSC_0223.jpg (463KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0223.jpg
463KB, 1000x667px
What should I use as the backing plant for my new tank?
>>
>>2463669
I suggest you make a thread about this. There are a lot of plant enthusiasts in this board, but I'm not sure if fishkeepers ITT would be of much help.
>>
>>2463675
Playboy centerfolds.
>>
>>2463676
Walleye is a fish.
>>
>>2463683
It's not an aquarium fish
This is the aquarium thread,
>>
>>2463611
I figured that might be my only option.
>>
>>2463675
Another tank
>>
>>2463669
They might sink down eventually, how far depends on your lake. Have your rocks come all the way up to shore to help keep erosion from burying them faster.
Anyway, just sink concrete blocks, stones, and large rubble. Some boulders too, if you can, to provide structures to hang around.
>>
>get a school of 6 black neon tetras (tank is cycled, pristine water, ideal conditions for them)
>don't eat the tropical flakes first day
>okaywhatever
>tetras don't eat them the second, third, and fourth day
>fucking tetras
>buy some freeze dried blood warms
>two of them eat, rest just spit them out or just ignore them
>try both a few more times, no change
>goddamnit
>notice they have been eating what the cory catfish kick up from their shrimp pellets
>okay.jpg
>crush the pellets up to make a fine power with small pellets
>completely ignore this
>fucking TETRAS
>buy hikari micro pellets
>the tetras go for them, but all of them spit it out
>buy hikari micro wafers
>same as micro pellets
>backtothestore
>buy frozen brine shrimp
>the adults eat, but spit the shrimp out half of the time

I haven't fed them in a 5 days, my dwarf gourami now just eats all of the brine shrimp before they go after them. The question is if they are eating enough from the corys or if they are just going to starve to death. I'll find that out soon enough.
Thinking about doing some live food, I have brine shrimp eggs, wondering if they will go after them if I set up a hatchery.
>>
About how long would you say it takes for hygrophilia to start growing in?
I bought some and it came in like six little stems
substrate is just sand, but I'll be dosing with root tabs
>>
>>2463571
peroxide
>>
Would a Ranchu goldfish eat my braindead kuhlis?
>>
>>2463655
Next time use strips of hard plastic as substrate supports at the edges of your hill. You leave them in even after flooding. The point is that they will be covered by plant growth.
>>
>>2463705
You're spending more on food than what the fish are worth. Fuck those guys.

If you are REALLY intent on keeping those assholes alive, maybe try New Life Spectrum flakes. I find small fish like them better than other flakes.
>>
>>2463686
Just because you're too poor to own land doesn't mean his questions don't belong here. It's the same as people asking about pond fish, which has never gotten pushback here.

This is just on a bigger, and much cooler, scale.
>>
File: 0823171635.jpg (2MB, 4190x3143px) Image search: [Google]
0823171635.jpg
2MB, 4190x3143px
>>2463817
I paid 5 bucks for the school, hence the rant. Might as well spend another 10 bucks to find out for the sixth time they are retarded.
>>
File: 1466635429824.png (90KB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
1466635429824.png
90KB, 320x238px
> bought java moss 2 months ago
>still hasnt grown or spread

What the fuck? It's green but it doesnt spread. What do?
>>
>>2463846
http://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/java-moss-what-you-should-know
>>
>>2463844
mine will only eat from the middle of the tank. i run my pump full open and with the airstone so it all gets down to them and they eat fine, but if i turn it off they won't eat off the surface. i usually just scoop up all the food off the surface after a minute at most when i feed them. the little pieces get down to them and that's what they like.
>>
>>2463705
My tetras are eating expired spirulina flakes.
>>
>>2463824
Ask /out/ if you want good answers. The world doesn't revolve around you, ask the right people for the right info. This thread is 99% tropical fish and the other 1% is goldfish
>>
File: 1470057836842.jpg (61KB, 425x589px) Image search: [Google]
1470057836842.jpg
61KB, 425x589px
I have an extremely aggressive platy(Got him with another platy and 4 mollies when my tank was uncycled; The rest died). Should I hold on to this faggot or give him the clove dose. He doesnt leave my white clouds alone
>>
>>2463860
>cycling with fish
>>
>>2463865
lost 8 dollars, who gives a shit
>>
>>2463857
I'm not the dude with the pond, because obviously he doesn't hang around enough to know that /an/ is full of idiots and trolls.

I'm just saying that just because his project is on a bigger scale doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. No one blinks an eye if someone asks pond questions yet somehow his questions do.

It'd be the same if someone asks about extremely large clams in a 1000G saltwater aquarium and all you idiots complained he's in the wrong place because 99% of /an/ is too poor even for a micro reef.
>>
File: 0816171730e.jpg (3MB, 4656x2620px) Image search: [Google]
0816171730e.jpg
3MB, 4656x2620px
>>2463852
Be it the surface, middle, or the bottom my tetras will spit out all the foods, if they decide to even go for it. I'm convinced they are almost functionally retarded. I'll change it to just functionally retarded if they arent dead in a month, since they've already made it one.
>>2463856
Maybe I should feed them rotting aqueon tropical flakes then.
>>
File: IMG_2897.jpg (889KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2897.jpg
889KB, 3024x4032px
Hello everyone

My pair of high-finned balloon-belly german gold rams just laid eggs! However, they laid them on the substrate (sand). I have a couple of extra tanks laying around in which I could raise the fry, but how would I get the eggs out without damaging them? I don't want to scoop up the sand and accidentally crush/drop some. Should I leave them in? Will neons and cories cause any issues? I have frozen baby brine at the ready if they do hatch.

Pic related is the male guarding the nest, they uprooted that plastic plant and out of all the places to lay the eggs and dig a nest they chose that corner.
>>
>>2463910
Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the tetras to another tank? The cories will leave fry alone, but even neons will go for tiny fry.

Of course, rams usually lay about 200 eggs. You might just want to leave them in there and let the parents raise them. You'll lose a few to predation, but most aquarists aren't ready to care for or sell 200 rams.
>>
>>2463919
Yeah I'm thinking of just setting up another tank for the neons within the next couple of days. Most likely I will ask my LFS if they would be willing to take some of the brood for cheaps, since they're the only shop around here that sells this particular breed of ram. Maybe they'd want to buy local instead of paying for air freight on wholesale stock, who knows.
>>
>>2463910
The tetras will probably eat the fry. You can scoop them out carefully into something like shot glass, or use a gravel vac to get them out. Just be gentle its not rocket science, its at most biology.
At least that's what I'd try.
How much space is in the tank that they could hide in.
>>
>>2463930
There are plenty of hiding spaces for the rams, and I have heard of them packing up shop and moving the eggs and fry to another part of the tank when they feel that it would be more safe.

I'm most likely going to let them do their thing and remove the tetras. They just finished up and are already getting real nasty with any neon that gets close to the nest.

Funny thing about these fish, it was almost impossible to even sex them given this particular body shape and color morph, I had almost started to think the female was really a subdominant male until she started digging (no pink patch like normal rams)
>>
>>2463869
Why do you even keep fish if you don't like fish?
>>
>>2463824
>It's the same as people asking about pond fish, which has never gotten pushback here.

Bullshit. Everytime Koi are mentioned here, people flip their shit
>>
>>2463962
Even then, koi still kinda fit since they're an ornamental fish.
Who here has an aquarium stocked with walleye?
>>
I'm gay and so are glofish enablers
>>
>>2464022
Glofish are for children, women, gays, or geneticists.
>>
>>2464022
I did some reading and there's really no issue with them besides them being ugly and unnattural.
>>
>>2464028
They're also sickly and die much faster than normal danios in the same conditions.
>>
>>2464028
those are some pretty significant issues
>>
>>2464030
They're just danios that produce a different pigment.

>>2464031
I agree entirely
>>
>>2464032
I don't know if there's formal research but I do know that I got 5 glofish and several normal danios for my tank, and 4 years later the danios are still kicking while the glofish all started displaying age-related phenotypes and dying within one year.
>>
>>2464035
They were genetically modified as eggs generations ago and crossed out. I would guess that the ones you bought were just older.
They're just a different colored danio by this point.
>>
File: phenotypo.jpg (246KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
phenotypo.jpg
246KB, 640x640px
>>2464035
>>
File: Screenshot_20170601-134752.jpg (321KB, 1045x1238px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170601-134752.jpg
321KB, 1045x1238px
>>2464040
Ok anon.
>>
>>2464042
I'd ask you what age-related phenotypes your fish displayed but you're fucking retarded so what's the point?

I'll assume it was "A spinal curvature."
>>
>>2464043
>A spinal curvature
>dorso-ventral deviation of the columna vertebralis
>>
File: CAM00122.jpg (288KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00122.jpg
288KB, 2048x1536px
Still a work in progress.

I bought 3 female betta, 5 mollies, ad six black skirt tetra. They are currently in a cycled twenty gallon that I've been growing out plants in.

The pvc piece is still drying for the sponge filter, and then I'm going to take all the plants out of the 20 gallon and move them into this.

I also have one very calm male crown tail that I want to try and add a little later and see how that goes. If shit hits the fan, I'll just move him back to his tank.
>>
>>2464067
not bad. I did something similar not too long ago. 6 females and my super chill male crowntail in a 60 gallon with a shitton of plants. Used to throw platy fry in it occasionally and they all went nuts for it
>>
>>2464070
How did they all do together? I tried to make a good handful of caves with the rocks, and the tank is 4 feet long, so I'm hoping they'll be able to stake out a little territory.
>>
>>2464074
I had some issues but they eventually settled down with some firm reinforcement. One or two females took turns being assholes to everyone so i'd time them out overnight in betta cups and moving shit around in the tank so they could re-establish territory. Then they'd all get along fine.

Caves and plenty of things to break line of sight are essential because they won't want to look at eachother when they aren't feeding so you're doing good there. They'll chill in plants and shit too. I'll suggest getting a floating log/pvc or two for the male since they're usually lazy and wont want to swim all the way up and down for air
>>
>>2464074
also, just a thought but watch your mollies and tetras too. Tetras bite when bullied and mollies like to nip fins and that could easily escalate aggression, even in a calm male. You don't want to wake up one morning to a massacre
>>
File: IMG_20170825_052936.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170825_052936.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
I've been cultivating this emersed E. Tenellus for the last 3 weeks. I am planing to take it for two more months before using in aquarium. I was just one plant in thr begining.
>>
>>2464078
True.

I've tried him with quite a few fish (cories, neons, harlequins. Gourami), and he's been pretty skittish for the most part. The neons have been the best match for him so far, he seems the least fearful around them.

I'm more worried about him getting bullied or fin nipped, so I'm definitely going to keep a good eye on everyone. I don't usually have any trouble re-homing fish.
>>
File: IMG_2372.gif (44KB, 400x204px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2372.gif
44KB, 400x204px
>tfw live in a pretty warm cunt
>tfw chiller is much more expensive than heater
Anyone know any good cheap chiller for 90 gallon tanks
>>
>>2462915
Siamese Algae Eater, good luck finding one.
>>
So I've been feeding my tetras mini wafers (protein and veggie mix, normally for bottom dwelling fish and shrimp) because it's the only thing I have right now. I'm crashing half a wafer up into dust so it can fit in their mouths. They are interested in it because they take bites, but they seem to often spit it out. However, they do poop, so does that mean they are eating? I don't want them to starve.

I am gonna go buy some proper flakes for them anyway, but I just wanted to know if them pooping means they have been eating.
>>
>>2464161
a floating frozen bottle of water
>>
>>2463640
Still gave a (You) tho
>>
File: 1491217517311.png (268KB, 898x936px) Image search: [Google]
1491217517311.png
268KB, 898x936px
Who /waterchangeweekend/ here?
>>
File: 20170825_103845.jpg (3MB, 1783x2396px) Image search: [Google]
20170825_103845.jpg
3MB, 1783x2396px
Rate this driftwood i found by a creek nearby
Cop or nah
>>
>>2464226
Not yet, but I'm expecting to collect around 20" of rainwater these next several days
>>
>>2464238
Just be aware that if you live near a big city, it'll probably be too acidic to use right away. Amending it with CaOH would be the best bet
>>
>>2464238
Rainwater is good because you don't need any dechlorinator, right?
Doesn't rainwater come with its own problems though? Like, first thing that comes to my mind is insects or insect larvae finding their way in the water as it stays outside.
>>
>>2464254
Fish love insect larvae. Except dragonflies/damselflies, but they wont show up in rainwater unless it has vegetation
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
I got fucking limpets from a moss ball, FUCK

how the fuck do I get rid of these? I'm going around mashing them with a razor blade right now and i never kill anything not even bugs it's making me feel awful
>>
>>2464042
you don't really need to throw out "phenotype" in that context though, it's clumsy and doesn't work
>>
>>2463669
No, it's not the best place to ask it. You need a surveyor/lake person, whatever they're called. They have equipment for measuring the softness and depth of the sand and can tell you down to the cubic yard how much rocks you need to do what you want to do.

protip: it's way more rocks than you can afford
>>
>>2464372
also I hear loaches eat these fucks up. Is it possible to have 1 coolie loach? I know they prefer to be in packs but I only have a 10g and this is a shrimp tank so all considerations are secondary to the shrimp.
>>
>>2464390
you need at least 5 khuli loaches
>>
Should I get some Otocinclus or Hillstream loaches Loaches for a 20g? Probably going to be with corys and tetras.
>>
>>2464226
every weekend is /waterchangeweekend/
>>
>>2463669
Is there a stream feeding into or out of the lake? Some walleyes will spawn in gravel streams, while some walleyes from the same lake/system some will spawn on rocky lake flats. It might be easier for you to create a rocky stream.
>>
>pet supplies plus is doing the 1 dollar per gallon sale
>again

it's not fair, why don't i have a huge table
>>
>>2464422
Panda cory? as long you have adequate flow & oxygen level, sure those fish stay small. also hill stream & oto need some algae growing on hard surface for food source.
>>
>>2464463
I missed buying a 40b half-off at petco to gain the option to get one EVEN CHEAPER WOOOO
>>
File: glofishtetra.jpg (135KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
glofishtetra.jpg
135KB, 1000x1000px
ive got a question for you guys, i cant find an answer online.
will glofish tetras school with black skirt tetras? what about white?
>>
Hey an,

So I just moved into a new place and apparently my filter got damaged in the move and I can't afford to buy another one right away (I know some of you will say they're cheap, but I seriously just can't afford it right now). Anyway, I have a 10 gallon tank with a bubbler, but now no filter. It's totally cleaned out and set up right now with one live plant and some driftwood. My question is how long do I have to wait to add my fish (just one betta), and how long (and how) can I reasonably maintain it? I do not plan on adding more fish, probably ever. My house also does not have AC, so I didn't bother putting in the damn heater.

Frequent water changes will not be a problem either.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2464619
no end u r self
>>
>>2464722
Not enough for even a sponge filter off ebay that are < $3 eh?
>>
>>2464731
No access to a debit card right now, no. Lost it and with the address change, I have to wait 30 days to get a new one.
>>
Hey /aq/ I got a question for you. I live rurally with a 250 gal koi pond in my front yard. I know it's small but the old homeowners knew about as much about proper fish keeping, as my fish know about rocket science. My question is, how do I keep out predators, without the pond looking like a fucking detention block? I currently have a steel grid with mesh tied on, covering the pond as so otters, herons, raccoons, etc can't get a hold of my fish. This has so far proven effective however for the majority of the time, my pond looks like an ugly-ass metal/mesh flat. What do you guys suggest as alternative that I'm admittedly to dumb to have figured out already?
>>
>>2464738
they sell sprinklers on motion sensors. Try to remember to turn them off before approaching your pond, failure to do so is very annoying.

also a bunch of plant cover will give your fish somewhere to hide while simultaneously making sure you never see them.

Probably the easiest way is to just not put fish in your pond though. The result is essentially the same.
>>
>>2464722>>>/v/388293894
that isnt a problem at all if you're actually going to stick to water changes. Betta doesnt need a bubbler and would appreciate still water

The only thing you need to worry about is ammonia buildup. A single betta in 10 gallons or water isnt going to build up much for quite awhile. Go ahead and add your betta, keep on top of removing fish shit and do a water change once a week. More if you're paranoid. It would be prudent of you to buy an ammonia test kit eventually so you get a feel for how often you need to do changes but otherwise, you're good

Also when you DO get paid, buy more shit for the tank, toys and logs and the like, bettas get bored and appreciate having shit to do
>>
>>2464766
The water changes are not a problem. In fact, I really enjoy them. And I'm definitely going to be buying them what ever they need.

Now, here's kind of a related question. I'm guilty of splurging on the $1 per gallon sale at Petco (don't judge), and I also have another 10 and 20, and a 39 someone gave me (pretty sure it's a 40, but he's convinced it's a 39- wtvr). The ''39'' I'd like to be a community tank, but also include a betta (I think I might have a betta obsession). If I stick to same-sex live barers; guppies, etc, how many would be too many, considering the betta's personal space? Can they survive in same-sex groups? Also what other fish would you recommend? What about bottom-feeders- for some clean-up?

>Please keep in mind I'm asking in advance now for when I actually can make this happen. I'm not just throwing rocks from outside into a tank and then adding fish.

I read bettas like to 'sleep' on leaves close to the surface. If I had no decor for a larger tank (again, temporarily), would it still survive? Or would it just die from being miserable? Or from lack of sleep?

Also, thank you for helping me with my fish. He's acting really adventurous and curious. Not at all lethargic or sickly. He seems happy. Still will probably monitor for the next few hours though. He's been my buddy for a while.
>>
>>2464787
jesus christ dude that is a lot of questions. UH..

You can keep a betta pretty happily in 2.5 gallons of water of it's own so I 40 gallon theorhetically could house 16 bettas. That said, males will fight to the death if put into a tank together. A male CAN be housed with a bunch of female betta but it's something to research for, approach cautiously AND have a spare tank for each betta in case things go wrong and they DONT get along. Even females can not get along and harass eachother to death. TL:DR, Males can't be housed together, Females can maybe be housed together.

For livebearers and guppies, look up aqadvisor for recommended amount per tank and then do less fish than it tells you. Bettas can't be housed with fish that have flashy fins as they'll rip them off so NO flashy male guppies.

For bottom feeders, take your pick. Cories are always cute and active, otocats, flying foxes if you can find them etc etc. Avoid Chinese algae eaters and pleco though since pleco get fucking huge and CAEs tend to start mutilating fish when they get older and start wanting meat instead of wall slime.

Betta like to sleep between things, they'll sleep in plants and between spaces in your rocks. Bettas arent strong swimmers though so they like to be near the top to get air without having to work hard to breath. Shouldn't be an issue unless the current in your tank is strong. A floating log would be appreciated though.

And no problem! Assuming your water is good, you should have no issues hopefully
>>
>>2464793
Trust me, I realize I sound like I've never seen a fish before, but I'd rather ask the questions now than post on /an/ later like ''hey so I did this stupid thing, what went wrong????????'' and have you all call me a faggot.

Anyway, I know male bettas can't be housed together. I meant if I turned the 40 gal into a community tank with only same-sex live-barers (so they don't reproduce), would the live-barers survive in same-sex-groups, or do they like literally need to fugg?

Also, my friend has a male betta and a small pleco in the same 5 gal tank- should I say something? Or will they be fine for now?

I'll see if I can ghetto-rig some kind of floating hammock for now then. Or I guess just keep the water level low.
>>
>>2464797
oh yeah the livebearers will be fine. Keep in mind though that if you get female livebearers, they're already knocked up unless you get them as fry.. which will just be eaten promptly by your betta. All males should be good but watch for bullying. Speaking of though, you wont have to worry about your live bearers reproducing. Your betta can and will hunt every fry down that's born. They fucking LOVE fry.

Best tell your friend to remove that pleco. Even a smaller pleco like a bristlenose grow to half a foot and need a lot more space than 5 gallons(more like 20-30)
>>
>>2464802
Oh well in that case, that's some free tasty treats for him. I'm not opposed, just don't want the tank to get overrun and my betta suffer for it; overeating, space, bullying, etc.

I have no idea about plecos (their mouths freak me out), but it's literally one of the most standard ones someone would suggest at a pet store if you asked the staff.
>>
File: tumblr_mwxn0eMCzi1rp9d2go1_1280.jpg (38KB, 639x441px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwxn0eMCzi1rp9d2go1_1280.jpg
38KB, 639x441px
>>2464805
nah the fry will give him something to do, give them a place to hide and your betta will have free entertainment and the occasional snack

as for that pleco, common pleco get from 12 to 24 inches full grown. Show them this picture.
>>
I probably should have thought about this beforehand...
these fish flakes im using to cycle my tank are getting all caught up in my hogwort
any convenient sources of straight ammonia I can use to cycle my tank, just to make this a little cleaner?
I'm just worried I'm gonna go vacuum this out and pull my plants out with it
>>
>>2464830
You can get another type of fish food, like wafers or pellets. Alternatively, there are pure ammonia products for kickstarting aquariums.
Also, you can just drop piece of a dead shrimp in there and let it rot.
>>
>>2464733
go to the gas station and buy one of those preload cards.
>>
>>2464830
Pure ammonia is the way to go. It is easier to cycle with.
>>
>>2464830
You can buy pure ammonia from hardware stores
>>
Can I ask for so pics of y'all's Betta tanks? I want to make mine look nice but I need some inspiration.
>>
File: minimum size.webm (3MB, 520x360px) Image search: [Google]
minimum size.webm
3MB, 520x360px
>>2464961
>>
File: pretty_much_everywhere.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
pretty_much_everywhere.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
>>2464966
Ima need a bigger tank
Im worried about driftwood for a betta, it seem to me like its a very easy place for it to cut its fins on
>>
Hey /aq/ I'm about to buy a 52 gallon tank.

What things should I buy for it?
(filters, gravel, decorations)

I plan to have some corydoras, what other fishes could I put into it? Right now I have 4 corys in another tank, probably Im going to buy more. Which fishes could be cool to have with them on the tank?
>>
>>2464966
That tank looks painful understocked
>>
>>2464966
Legit made me chuckle

>>2464987
Discus, although some cories do better with the water temp preferred by discus than others.

I guess it depends on if you're wanting larger fish or not, and what water parameters you can have/want.
>>
>>2464987
Rainbowfish and giant danios are cool
>>
I found a piece of driftwood on the beach and it had moss on it! Will it survive in a freshwater tank? Or is there a way to condition it to make it safe for my freshwater tank?
>>
>>2465001
I don't rieally want larger fish since I like having a vivid fish tank. I think I'd have like 7 fish Max.

>>2465004
Rainbowfishes look amazing, I've never saw them In shops tho
>>
>>2465008
>Discus not vivid
u wot m8?
>>
>>2465021
By vivid I mean having a lot of fishes swimming around and shit but I don't want to overstock the tank.
>>
>>2465005
Since you will have to boil/bleach the wood to rid it of parasites/bugs/salts, no, the moss will not survive. I doubt it would even survive in and not damage your tank water anyways.
>>
>>2464232
Take another picture zoomed out so I can see the whole tank please. Could be pretty cool with moss and such.
>>
So I just got a huge canister filter from my dad for my birthday. Currently, I have 2 sponge filters and 1 HOB filter. How do I go about setting this thing up properly? I don't want to fuck anything up!
>>
File: canister.jpg (303KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
canister.jpg
303KB, 1440x1920px
>>2465110
I only asked for a 100gph, this one is rated for 528gph.
>>
File: 4bb0c95f85839.jpg (73KB, 670x449px) Image search: [Google]
4bb0c95f85839.jpg
73KB, 670x449px
Are Celestial Pearl Danios the best nano fish?
They pack so much colour into such a small fish.

Only issue I guess is since they're temperate you have to design your tank around them. I have mine in a tank with White clouds.
>>
>>2465110
>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxLUGaL4BQo
>>
>>2465121
Where do you source yours? Online? Also how does your tank design change when making it temperate?
>>
>>2465144
I got mine from my local fish store. But they were mislabelled as micro rasboras.

By tank design I just mean you can't have a tropical tank and they're very small. So you have to base all your other fish choices around them if you want to have them. You can;t have big fish and you can't have fish that need high temps than 22 degrees.
>>
File: translation required.jpg (514KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
translation required.jpg
514KB, 1920x1440px
>>2465126
Thanks.
Can I put the canister anywhere or does it have to be below the aquarium?
>>
>>2462028
if they move their operculum too fast they are lacking oxygen.
>>
>>2462638
T H I C C
>>
>>2462850
vacuum the soil
>>
>>2463675
Driftwood, always driftwood
>>
Do they only sell pure ammonia in those huge gallon jugs? because that is waaaaay too much for me to cycle a 10 gallon tank
>>
>>2465261
Urine contains ammonia.
>>
How much bowing is too much? I got a used 55g and I noticed the top is bowed out. I measured the bottom right side of it and it came to 13.25 inches on both the top and bottom. However, when I measure from the middle across the top, it measures 13.6875, a difference of 0.4375 inches. The tank has bout 40g of water in it right now.
>>
>>2465288
Does it still have the bracing that goes from the back to the front on the top in the middle?
>>
>>2465301
Yeah, but when I bought it it was broken. They guy duct taped it...
>>
just got my water tested
my nitrites AND my nitrates were high
but my ammonia was at 0.5 ppm

does this mean my cycle is almost done?
I'll go back to have it tested on monday
>>
File: 1484610881129.gif (1MB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
1484610881129.gif
1MB, 660x371px
Guys can we make the virgin vs Chad fish meme?

Chad Fish:
Leaves the aquarium when he desires
He only feeds on other fish eggs
He decides when the lights is on
He breaths nitrites

Virgin Fish
Only eats the leftovers from the ground
He is scared of air pump
He is always on the bottom
Too scared to use caudal fin
Always negative incline

Help me out bros
>>
>>2465315
You are close to be done, yes. Do a water change and test the water. Nitrites should be at zero.
>>
>>2465371
should I keep dosing fish flakes until I'm sure though?
>>
File: fTWVUGPh.jpg (150KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
fTWVUGPh.jpg
150KB, 1024x576px
Is this planted enough for a 10g?
I was thinking maybe some anacharis for the back to create a kind of wall
got rid of that hogswort, it started shedding needles and I was not having any of that
I replaced it with I admittedly don't know what that is in my back right corner
I have some mopani wood I'll probably introduce to soften the water and add some tannins for the tetras I plan to add eventually
>>
>>2465425
>Is this planted enough for a 10g?

what the hell kind of question is this?
>>
>>2465418
Nuh, you already got high nitrites, you don't need any more ammonia.
>>
So I neglected my tank for a little bit and shit is pretty dirty in there now. I want to clean off the glass really well and as well as wash out the gravel. I was thinking about removing the fish, plants, and other decor and re-doing it. How much water from the tank should I try to keep? Its a 20g
>>
>>2466137
I just moved a 20 gallon and I think that it retained maybe half of the original water at the end of the process. Nothing died!
>>
File: it's so good.png (37KB, 810x480px) Image search: [Google]
it's so good.png
37KB, 810x480px
posting here just so i can download this as a png again
>>
>>2467065
are you stupid?
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.