[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New aquarium Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 39

File: IMG_1010.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1010.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
The other one is dying and people hate it

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Care Guides:
>http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/fresh.htm
>http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/salt.htm
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
I want a pipefish so bad XD. my LFS has one in their reef display tank. beautiful things
>>
File: nakama10.jpg (45KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
nakama10.jpg
45KB, 640x456px
>>2330609
>XD
>>
>>2330611
do want
>>
File: image.jpg (695KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
695KB, 2048x2048px
NO SALTWATER OR GIRLS ALLOWED EDITION
>>
>>2330616
>>>/r9k/
>>
How does one procure a Pipefish with no LFS selling them?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-07-13-57-53.png (111KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-07-13-57-53.png
111KB, 480x800px
>fite me
>>
>>2330621
Cyanide into reef
>>
>>2330629
>>2330616

DON'T START THIS SHIT AGAIN ROOO
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>2330641
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
If I were to breed shrimp, certain fish, and plants and sell them exclusively to /an/ at good prices would anyone be interested?
>>
I want to start saltwater tanks for seahorses and pipefish. How hard is it?
>>
>>2330621
Maybe see if they can order one for you? Otherwise, your own choice is to order online,
>>
>>2330679
REEEEEE LEAVE ELITIST
>>
>>2330684
Seahorses are elitist? Why? Are they hard as fuck to keep?
>>
>>2330683
>only choice
>>
>>2330689
Seahorses just need specialized care. It isn't hard but it's best to have them species only tank. Pipefish would be fine as I believe they have the same care.
>>
>>2330679
I've heard the hardest part of keeping them is feeding. They need smaller live(and maybe frozen?) foods and seahorses suck at swimming, so they have trouble competing with other fish.
>>
>>2330703
>>2330704

Thanks. Species only is fine by me- almost all the fish and aquatic animals I've taken an interest in are either too aggressive or too delicate to be housed with others.

And I guess I can start a brine shrimp tank.

>Pipefish would be fine as I believe they have the same care

I remember seeing them housed together at the Ocean Rider farm, so it should be okay.
>>
Would it be practical to cycle a aquarium with daphnia or scuds?
>>
>>2330675
Define "good prices" and "fish". I would say no if you're selling exclusively to /an/, since it's extremely shady to buy fish off of an anonymous person with no record that we can look back at and decide that it's a good idea to give you money.
>>
I'd get an octopus if i had the time or money or knowledge. but i don't so, fuck it
>>
gonna make a 200 gallon tank to propagate frags and sell them, anything I should know before I start? also any fish recommendations? would be nice to sell those too.
>>
If you give a common goldfish enough room, it can reach nearly 2 feet long

People who keep their gold fish in fish bowls should be executed by law
>>
>>2330815
They're indeterminate growers, so they actually don't stop growing until they die under ideal conditions.
>>
>>2330818
Messy little bastards too.

I'd love a 100 gallon tank to hold a few of them.
>>
>>2330621
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+267
>>
>>2330818
My girlfriends dad has a comet goldfish in his 10 and they think it's old. It's 5 months old with really small fins, blind, and can barely keep itself upright. They also have a skirt tetra and serpae and thought they only lived 2 months.
>>
So on aqadvisor, there's like three or four choices for corry cats. Which one would I pick for a community tank with betta, neons, and cherry shrimps?
>>
Redpill me on goldfish, are they even nice fish to actually keep?

Barring the large tank size (people who go 55g and above might not have problems with managing large aquariums) and the amount of shit connotations they have of being "babby's first expendable fish", they don't seem that bad as a fish.
>>
>>2330854
Single tailed goldfish are a bitch and you really just shouldn't unless you have a pond. "Fancy" goldfish are easier and lots of them can live happy lives in 30-50g tanks. Never kept any though, so I can't tell you. I think common goldfish are cool looking as hell, though. I'd like to have a pond one day dedicated to them.
>>
>>2330854
>>2330854
They need a LOT of filtration going on, and they like to eat plants, so if you want to keep them and have them thrive, you gotta research filtration and what plants grow fast or that they don't like. And of course be ready to put them in a pond when they out grow the tank.
>>
>>2330849
Which Cory do you want? Tank size?
>>
>>2330848
God, I hear this shit all the time and I hate it. Not just with fish, either.
>I had a goldfish once that lived for 2 years once! Hard to believe, I know.
>My betta lived all the way to his first birthday once.
>My rabbit was pretty old, he was like 4 when he died!
>>
>>2330849
Gonna preface this with fuck aquadvisor and kill yourself if you're trying to fit all this in a 10g tank or some shit.
Neons should be kept in cooler waters than bettas ideally, but there's not
much you can do if you already have them. How about sterbai cories?
>>
>>2330859
55 Gallon

I want to get it and start cycling at the end of the month, and I was looking for suggestions with a betta, and someone said cory cat. I don't know what kinds there are.

The tank I want to get is from walmart and will come with two whisper 30 filters and a heater. I also want to get some plants going in there as well before adding fish.
>>
>>2330861
Fucking normiEEEEEEEEEEES! There's no helping the gold fish so I gave him plants I was throwing out and a gravel vac and told him what to do. He seems to enjoy it.
>>
>>2330865
What? Everything says they like temps in the mid 70s F (same as a betta, and no it's not a ten gallon. Chill out.
>>
>>2330867
Any Cory will work with that. Box pet stores usually have albino, emerald, and false sterbai. Emeralds look nice on pool filter or play sand. I can suggest plants and lighting if wanted.
>>
>>2330872
Yes please, and what is better as ar as sand/gravel for them? Since they are bottom feeders
>>
>>2330718
Pipefish are good tankmates. If you buy from oceanrider, both species should be trained to take frozen mysis from a dish. Adult brine usually isn't the best unless it's enriched, so you might want to opt out of that. Having a copepod population in the tank or sump is a much better option. Opae Ula are also sold somewhat overpriced by ocean rider, but unless you have a huge population, they won't reproduce quickly enough to replace what the seahorses eat. They're good nutrition though and worth a tank of their own. I would also like to mention that you might want to keep your tank temperatures at the lower end of reef temps, 76 or lower, for seahorses. It's possible that they might get vibrio infections above this temp, but I'm sure this is mostly for wild seahorses, not captive breed ones. Just mentioning the last bit for safeties sake.
>>2330812
Lots of tangs/ surgeonfish and a well trained racoon butterflyfish or copperband for aiptasia. Anything else is reef safe or by preference.
>>
>>2330876
Sand. You can just go to Home Depot or something and pick up some pool filter sand.

But gravel really doesn't lend well to their whiskers.
>>
>>2330876
Sand is best. Also a bit better for plants. For 55 I would suggest some kind of LED lighting. I can suggest if you have a budget for lighting. Plants that are idiot proof are usually Cryptocorynes, jungle vals, many types of Java ferns, Anubias, Amazon swords, Ludwiga repens just to name a few
>>
File: babbyfish.jpg (40KB, 536x953px) Image search: [Google]
babbyfish.jpg
40KB, 536x953px
hey what's this little guy? in freshwater creek in the state georgia
>>
>>2330809
I'm actually a little offended
>>
>>2330912
Mosquitofish?
>>
>>2330912
Looks like gambusia sp. Mosquitofish. Drop it in some water and give us a photo
>>
File: fishh.jpg (215KB, 1694x953px) Image search: [Google]
fishh.jpg
215KB, 1694x953px
>>2330926
I only got a pic from above when it was in the water.
>>
>>2330932
Side would be better, but I think mosquitofish.
>>
>>2330905
Cool. This is the tank I was looking at (because we don't have any kind of Petco near me), but I might be able to find some of the plants and fish in the tractor supply store in the town over.

>Kit Includes:

>55 gallon glass aquarium
>Energy efficient LED lighting
>Natural daylight shimmer
>Digital thermometer
>200 Watt UL aquarium heater
>Fish net
>Two Whisper® 10-30 Internal Power Filters with Tetra Large filter cartridges
>Integrated cutouts for easy filter cartridge changes and feeding without removing the hood
>Contains samples of Tetra food, water conditioner sample, and enrollment in TetraCare

It's only about $40 more than the full 20 gallon kit, and I have plenty of room for it.
>>
>>2330905
Also, out of those plants, how many should I get and which one's grow just moderately fast? Like I don't want to be pruning constantly, but I also don't want them to take a long time to fill up a bit of space in the tank and provide some coverage for the shrimp and fish.

Or should I just get some large pieces to start and prune back if I need to?
>>
>>2330675
Actually yes, but whereabouts do you live, shipping live is expensive famalam
>>
Anyone know anything about fresh water sponges? I remember a long time ago some science site sold them for like 15-20$ a piece. I understand youd need good current an cant let it contact air. Has anyone ever triedthem?
>>
>>2331072
Vals, Ludwiga, and amazon swords. Crypts are great but slow. The light on that tetra model may not be able to grow some of the stuff that require a bit more light. Though low light tanks are less work and require less maintence. If you ever did upgrade after getting more into plants I use to use two work lights with 2 5000k LED bulbs but before that would use two 15 watt 6500k CFL bulbs. One more bit of advice. Do not change the filter pads. Tetra wants you to keep buying them. You will never complete a cycle doing so. Sorry if you knew that already.

>>2331084
I thought about doing this. My crypts are constantly throwing out runners. $1 crypt days.
>>
>>2331109
Vals you can buy a whole box for like $20 on eBay with free shipping, Ludwiga get a few stems. They grow tall and you can prune them at certain parts and have a whole new plants. I don't have a lot of experience with Amazon swords but I get a new leaf every few days with medium light and ferts. Once they get big and bushy though they're great for hiding equipment. Crypts are just great. Get some cheap eBay root tabs and you'll have some beatiful big crypts in no time. Forgot to mention aponogetons. You can buy them in bulb form. Grow very fast and look great. You can let them flower or cut the flower as you notice it so they don't die back. Forgot to mention elodea and hornwort and good.
>>
>>2330913
Offended that people won't want to pay money for products of dubious quality from somebody of dubious merit?
>>
>>2330871
Bettas do better with 78+, not mid 70s. A lot of people won't even keep them below 80. Pretty much everyone who keeps them on forums will tell you they do better and live longer at lower temps. The area they're native to generally stays at temps below 74 most of the year.
>>
>>2331164
>doubting my high quality fish and shrimp I already sell on Aquabid
>>
So they waited to ship my expensive shrimp I ordered March second today. The last few days have been in the 50s and 60s and now when they arrive highs will be 28. Fahrenheit of course.
>>
>Give up on the planted tank
>Completely rescape my tank to riverbed biotope, mostly sand and stoned, sticks and 1 or 2 val plants
>Stop using ferts, co2 and take away my powerful lighting and use the shit lighting the tank came in
>Fish seem much more happy and active

Is planted tank a meme?
>>
>>2331219
No. You're using less light which makes fish happy. Also if you're using a power head or pump the of course they seem more active.
>>
>>2331219
What kind of biotope? What part of the world? Are all fish from the same area as the biotope you're talking about? If no it isn't a biotope.
>>
>>2331226
I still have the fish in there from my planted tank which is harlequin rasboras and SAEs

But I'm thinking of doing a white cloud mountain biotope.
>>
https://youtu.be/zMrwimiDT4M
is this type of behavior normal for head and tail light tetras?
haven't had them for long and I'm comparing them to danios I just got and they just fucking sit there
>>
>>2331196
Ah, yes, sorry I didn't recognize you. It's obvious exactly who you are by your posts.
>>
>>2331258
Name starts with B ends with z
>>
>>2331272
BadAzz
>>
>>2331274
Yes sir. 5 star rating on Aquabid
>>
>>2331166
Alright, I didn't want to be an ass and just brush off what you were saying, so I've been looking through stuff all morning and what I found is that it's really mixed. Even a lot of the forums I found say that neons like 76, and bettas like 74-86

So I don't know anon. I'm going to start looking for alternative community fish, but I'm also tempted to just try with keeping the water stable at 75/76 and see how it goes
>>
>>2331109
Yea I read about just rinsing the filter in the aquarium water, though I don't knowabout this charcoal stuff. Is that necessary?

And thanks for info
>>2331111
Cool thanks
>>
>>2331334
The carbon isn't necessary. If you don't replace it over time it will start leaking things back into the water which is no good. Carbon is good for removing medicine from the water though.
>>
>>2331070
Those internal power filters may leave you wanting more in the long run but will be fine to get running with. I always prefer canisters on anything more than a 40 but that's just me
>>
>>2331350
Good to know, I'll take it out then.
>>2331356
Ah I see. If the fish in the tank don't have a huge bio-load, would water changes and the plants make up for it?

I'm still looking at alternatives for the neons too, but goddamn. Everytime I think I might have found something, they turn out to be fin nippers or get bigger.
>>
DAY 3 since seller has created the shipping label and hasn't shipped my crayfish and shrimp. I ordered them March 2nd.
>>
File: AquStockImage.png (18KB, 550x110px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage.png
18KB, 550x110px
tank will be planted.
>>
>>2330815
>it can reach nearly 2 feet long
>>2330818
>They're indeterminate growers

>[citation needed]
>>
File: octopus.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
octopus.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
What kind of octopus(or any cephalopod for that matter) is best suited for an aquarium, an what are the pros and cons of owning one?(cost of which aside)
>>
Yo /an/ help me, i was researching to find something to keep but forgot to save it. Its vaguely related to brine shrimp but looks more like a horseshoe crab. They were small, like 1 inch and grow in large numbers that i was thinking of having a colonly
>>
>>2331661
none, octopuses to terribly in tanks and are shit pets because you cant mentally stimulate them long enough

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBmF1EcSPVI

search the archives for blue octopus and youll find some thread on it
>>
Ok.

55 gallon, one male betta, cory cats, rasboras (maybe, tell me if they are fin nippers or not, but haven't been able to find otherwise), kuhli loaches, and cherry shrimp.

Wanted one other schooling fish that was a little colorful, but I really can't find shit to go with a betta that doesn't have a chance to fight with it or eat it's fins.
>>
Are there any shrimps that are too big for a betta to eat?
>>
File: 20170308187.jpg (541KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170308187.jpg
541KB, 2048x1536px
Any idea who is this guy? It hitchhiked with some plants I bought. Mostly worried if it's one of those that multiply like crazy and eat everything, but knowing the species would be nice. So far it seems to only be eating algae though.
>>
>>2331646
More shrimp !
>>
>>2331678
Triopes ?
>>
>>2331697
Pond snail and kill it while you have the chance otherwise you will end up with a billion of the little peasants
>>
>>2331703
triops, thats the one thanks.

Got to look into keeping them though, i wonder how well they can reproduce in captivity
>>
>>2331708
I love watching my shrimp, but those fuckers just creep me out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73vLOyYD7wA
>>
>>2331708
>i wonder how well they can reproduce in captivity
most triops species reproduce parthenogenetically, so it's super easy to breed them for generations
>>
>>2331661
Biggest con for me would be their lifespan, even the giant pacific octopus wont live longer than 5 years. They're cool af, but it's rarely worth the effort imo.
>>
>>2331661
>?(cost of which aside)
>$750+ for the tank
>$39 for the animal
the cost is the main deterrent.

if you're going to spend that kind of money for a large saltwater tank there's so many way cooler things you could put in it.
>>
>>2331743
Plus, don't you have to completely seal the tank so they can't escape?
>>
>>2331733
>most triops species reproduce parthenogenetically, so it's super easy to breed them for generations
oh shit thats cool. so in theory i could start with just one? not that i would because that would be stupid.

>>2331731
this is very usual behaivour but to me they always look stressed out when they burrow at an enclosures edge. why do they do it? stress?
>>
>>2331752
>so in theory i could start with just one?
Yes. You can't buy live triops, only eggs, so you'll probably end up with more anyway.

>why do they do it? stress?
completely normal, they search for food and drop a few eggs here and there
>>
>>2331753
you cant buy live ones? is their a specific reason? they dont adjust well? also since its usual behaivour is their like some seawork or something (not a bobit worm lol) that i can get for food for them? i like to simulate an actual ecosystem and ideally id like to have a nearly self sufficient tank
>>
>>2331756
Probably because it's about a million times easier to ship an envelope of dehydrated eggs than trying to keep them alive thru the mail.

Just like fairy shrimp/sea monkeys, they'll hatch once you get the eggs wet.
>>
>>2331756
>is their a specific reason?
Very short lifespans of like 60-90 days average and they would probably have a really high mortality rate when shipped. Meanwhile the dry eggs can survive decades without trouble.

Food isn't a problem, they also skim the surface and eat just about anything.

>i like to simulate an actual ecosystem and ideally id like to have a nearly self sufficient tank
Triops aren't a good choice for that. The eggs need to undergo a dry period, only rarely they hatch without interruption. A self-sufficient tank also couldn't provide them with enough carnal diet, so they'd probably resort to cannibalism. Fairy/brine shrimp would be a better choice for that kinda tank, as they only filter tiny particles out of the water and are able to birth live young when their living space isn't in danger of drying out.
>>
>>2331756
I'm guessing not so much that they don't do well as adults it's more that the eggs are so readily available as a novelty "grow your own pet" that it's just easier to find the eggs. Plus they have very short lifespans which might be why no one really sell adults when they'd live maybe about a less than a month under your care at that point.
>>
>>2331759
>>2331760
>>2331761
makes sense, i didnt realise they wre such a common thing actually. I can buy them at australian geographic... (albeit $35 with a cruddy tank).

I didnt mean fully self sufficient, but rather so im not having to feed everything individually, thats why i thought triops might be good because of their life cycle if paired with some other things.
>>
>>2331768
You can get triops eggs on ebay for dirt cheap.
>>
>>2331691
Amano Shrimp. Some people have had luck with Ghost Shrimp as well.
>>
Think i should just make my own aquarium tank? they cost like $1000 for a 6ft tank. Ir would it be a disaster in the making?
>>
So, has anyone straddled one light across two tanks before? I've been thinking of setting up two 5.5 gallon tanks, each with there own heater and filter, because I really want a dwarf puffer but I've read they don't mix well with other fish. I'm thinking of a singledwarf puffer in one tank with plenty of plants, and not sure with the other. I was considering a dwarf frog or try to make it into a tiny fiddler crab tank.
>>
on the same note as triops, what make good tank companions for them>
>>
>>2331799
Thank you anon
>>
File: IMAG0103.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0103.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
So feisty this morning!

No sir, you have had enough food.
>>
>>2331863
Shrimp and snail tank so your puff puff has a constant live food supply
>>
>>2331813
Where do you live they cost that much bro? I went into a petsmart and it was $500 for 125 tank and stand
>>
>>2331897
I planned on raising snails in a bucket but I could do this too.
I do love me some shrimps.
>>
>>2331873
not much. snails are your bet. what can be eaten will be eaten. bigger fish could nip on their legs and kill them
>>
>>2331898
Australia, 6ft x 2ft x 3ft or so is $1000 second hand. i suspect its because of the stands included but still.

the reason i ask is i want to make a 6 x 6 x 3 tank for a sting ray. well im pretty sure at this point but who knows, i might get a manta instead. joking. ive got the money either way but diy is always fun. i found a yt vid on it (diy king or something like that) but the guy seems a bit retarded and dodge with what he does.
>>
File: tumblr_ndgn1ujWUF1rxaufqo2_500.gif (2MB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndgn1ujWUF1rxaufqo2_500.gif
2MB, 500x278px
>>2330854
The main issue with goldfish is that it is very difficult to come up with a setup that won't get you criticized by someone.
As far as jsdging the fish by their own merit, they're actually fantastic. They're remarkably hardy and incredibly long-lived under good conditions.
They'll recognize individual people and interact with their main caretakers, and they can be trained to do tricks fairly easily.
On top of that, the colors and finnage are also very nice on a lot of goldfish.
>>
>>2331891
Just one thing to keep in mind if you choose the Ghost Shrimp; depending on your Betta's personality it could either end with them living peacefully together, or with a shrimp massacre. Just get a few at first to test, of you go that route.

Amano's are your safe bet.
>>
>>2331246
Most tetras in general are pretty fucking boring. Especially compared to something as active as danios. The ones in your video seem fine.
>>
>>2331646
>Aqueon Widescreen
Kek.

Also seconding more shrimp. At least six to start with.
And if you're planning on using the LEDs that kit comes with you'll be pretty limited for plant choice.

>>2331678
>colonly
They're cannibalistic, so that'd be difficult.

>>2331686
Depends on the rasbora. Scissortails are dicks, but Trigonostigma and Boraras species are chill af.
If you get a plakat or female betta you won't have to worry about its fins getting nipped. Either way, in a 55 you have a huge number of options for tankmates with a betta.
Easy options would be small tetras like neon, black neon, green neon, ember or glowlight. If you can find celestial pearl danios or emerald dwarf rasboras, those are also pretty popular combos with bettas. For something a bit more oddball you could get hatchetfish. Marbled hatchets look particularly nice.
>>
>>2331917
This. They won't eat ones the size of themselves but they will destroy any babies.
>>
>>2331917
>They're cannibalistic, so that'd be difficult.
Triops cancriformis and australiensis are pretty calm for the most part. longicaudatus works alright in big enough tanks.
>>
>>2331906
I wanted him to be able to eat some, but I don't want a full on massacre either. I'm going to have to figure out good plant cover and hiding spots that he can't get into, but he's pretty nimble.
>>
>>2331936
You could always do a mix of the Ghost Shrimp and the Amano's.
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
>>2331936
I will advise against ghost shrimp as once I had a sick betta and he would sit at the bottom and they picked at him. Half of him ended up scaleless and the died. Pic unrelated. Was a betta I raised from a batch. Only one who lived after a power outage.
>>
>>2331938
Good idea. I like watching ghost shrimp destroy amanos and cherry shrimp.
>>
>>2331943
If he gets sick he's going into a seperate tank, but thank you for the warning. Maybe I should just stick with cherries.
>>2331938
Well actually, looking at the amonos, they're not much bigger than the cherries...he might try to eat them anyway, so maybe it's not a good idea.

Maybe the better question is, how can I plant a 55 gallon well enough so the shrimp can breed before he can hunt them all down?
>>
>>2331947
Breed them in a small tank first them dump them all in.
>>
>>2331332
I would never keep a betta at 74, personally. That's pretty low -- I wouldn't go lower than 76. Neons could probably tolerate higher temps with a decreased lifespan and an increased risk of illness. I'd just get different fish if it were my tank, especially with a lot of neons being really easy to kill.
>>
>>2331863
>So, has anyone straddled one light across two tanks before?
Yeah, there's not much to it. I had some cheap fluorescents across three ten gallons with some low light plants and it worked fine.
>>
>>2331903
Tanks are cheap as shit in the US. I got a 125 that came with with glass tops, a stand, and fluorescent lights from PetSmart during their Black Friday sale, paid less than $300.

>but the guy seems a bit retarded and dodge with what he does.
How so? I saw the series he did on making a plywood tank and it seemed legit.
>>
>>2331652
Google it. It's not my job to educate you.
>>2331947
Some bettas eat shrimp and some don't -- it just depends on your fish. Just throw some ghost shrimp in to test them out. They shouldn't cost much more than a few bucks.
Most people have smaller tanks to spawn shrimp in and they just move the adults to their main tank. Doesn't have to be any bigger than 10g and lots of people use less than that. Shouldn't be super hard to maintain.
>>
im undecided on what to get, ill probs buy an 800 gallon tank but on one hand i hate the look of just boring fish, regardless of how rare they are. what several species should i go for?
>>
>>2331987
im probably over bias but for a tank that large (the 6ft x 6ft or so) a ply wood base and bottom of the tank seems like an awful idea. then for the smaller ones the lack of squaring concerns me. its not awful but youd imagine "the king" of diy making stuff on the next level.
>>
Tttt
>>
>>2332005
He's only the king because I think he's the only one with a large diy fish channel.
>>
>>2332005
Isn't he more directed towards making things for lower costs?
>>
>>2331991
freshwater rays?
>>
>>2332010
I already said that dumb ass
>>
>>2332011
brackish water ray it is then
>>
>>2332009
exactly, king of woodscrews more like it

>>2332007
i think its all he spends money on looking at his roof.
>>
>>2332011
what no i didnt

>>2332010
maybe, but then they eat everything else limiting you to just rays, and you could only keep one or two tops
>>
File: tetraodon-mbu-am-1932010-6401.jpg (106KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
tetraodon-mbu-am-1932010-6401.jpg
106KB, 1024x682px
>>2331991
Tetraodon mbu. Huge, full of personality, cute as fuck.
>>
>>2332037
oh thats cute. completely forgot about puffer fish, maybe i should just go down to the river and catch some? would love a fugu too actually
>>
>>2331991
Arowana? School of Silver Dollars? Fly River Turtle?
>>
>>2331991
Guppies and a single pike cichlid.
>>
>>2331991
A nigger. Can only keep one male as they're violent. A male and female will produce 100s of babies.
>>
>>2332043
two of those are fish, one of those is a turtle. idk how i feel about keeping turtles

>>2332047
seems like a fun combo

>>2332051
then you have to worry about him escaping
>>
>>2330577
Anyone else entering IAPLC this year? I hope to have my scape ready mid May. Going to be difficult getting into top 100 with only a 45cm tank. But I think I can do it.
>>
>>2331359
oh definitely. lots of plants will help and water changes on top of that just makes it better. as long as you keep it low to moderately stocked you should be fine.
>>
Hey /an/ quick fishless cycle question here.

3 days ago my parameters were:
amm: 3
nitrite: 1
nitrate 5

today they are:
amm: 0.5
nitrite: 5!
nitrate 10

I understand that I am supposed to have amm go down while nitrite spikes up but not to the point where amm gets this low.

I'm cycling with plants using ada amazonia soil which leaks its own ammonia so I haven't been adding in any extra ammonia. I'm worried that at the rate the bacteria is converting the ammonia to nitrites it will starve itself soon.

Should I be adding in extra ammonia to prevent them from starving or is it fine how it is? It's a 150 litre tank (40gallons) that's only been cycling for about 2.5 weeks.
>>
Am I a faggot for wanting to build a tiny fluidized filter for a 3 gallon aquarium? I've never had one, and I figured it might make for a cool project but I don't really know if it's worth it for a tiny aquarium.
>>
>>2332222
Do it. I made on for a 5 gallon some time ago just for fun.
>>
>>2332226
Yeah I'm just doing it for the fun of it really. What size pump and media did you use? Maybe one day, I'll make a much larger one. I was thinking of just using pool sand, if that's light enough.
>>
>>2332228
Just a little tetra 10 gallon air pump, small 4 ounce bottle, and some cut up drinking straw.
>>
>>2332231
Oh and a little bit of polymer stuffing my girlfriend has left over.
>>
File: 20170309_220343.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170309_220343.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
At what point should I pick the baby plants off java ferns? There are two on the left side, one has detached on its own and the other is larger but still attached. There are a whole bunch of tiny ones and I wonder if that big baby plant is taking up all the nutrients. Should I pick it off already and move it to another tank?
>>
>>2332212
>I'm worried that at the rate the bacteria is converting the ammonia to nitrites it will starve itself soon.
you can add more ammonia if you like, but at some point it's going to read 0 no matter how much you add.

without knowing how much ammonia your substrate is releasing and at what speed, it's impossible to say if you've got enough. Nitrite and nitrate that high is promising though. That stuff isn't coming from nothing.
>>
>>2332241
when the babies have a few roots growing off them is a good time. Wait too long and the leaf will die to release the babies.
>>
>>2332228
I've built fluidized beds for marine tanks before.
I just used an old ozone reactor set to reverse flow for the container.

Filled it full of sugar oolite and hooked it up to a 250gph powerhead via 1/2" flex tubing with plastic hose clamps. It floats the media fine, probably because the bottom of the container has a plate full of tiny holes like a shower head.

Keep in mind those things are nitrate factories. Also the effluent is almost entirely devoid of oxygen so it needs aerated before being dumped back in the tank.
>>
do marijuana really cope well in baren tans with no friends?
>>
So my hours got cut inhalf at work, so unfortunately going to have to wait on that 55 gallon. Right now however, I'm going to run down and get a 10 gallon.

Question though, if I set my betta up in a smaller container, would it be possible to move everything that is in his 2.5 (filter, plants, gravel, most of the water) into the 10 gallonandhave it cycled quickly? I also have the API Quick Start and Stress Coat.

Or should I cycle the tank completely on it's own?

>>2331967
>>2331988
Alright I'l try that.
>>
>>2332005
I'm pretty sure he's high 98% of the time
>>
>>2332280
Moving all that stuff from the 2.5 would speed up the process, and with the Quick Start things should he slightly faster. Only real question I have is how small of a container would the Betta be in? Would it be filtered and heated? Doing the 10 on its own may be the easier option here.
>>
>>2332301
The small container would be pretty small, but I would be doing daily water changes and our house stay at about 80 f all day (I've actually had to turn his heater off in the middle of the day cause it started getting too hot)
>>
My water test strip came out with the water being hard and alkaline. How do I fix that (do I need to fix that?) For my betta?

Regular treated tap water with a few plants
>>
>>2332343
it should be fine.

pH and hardness don't matter for most aquarium fish unless you're trying to breed them. As long as it's stable it's good. And hard water is stable.
>>
>>2332344
Alright. Everything else was perfect. Little proud of myself actually.

Buuut I don't have much as far as waste, and comparatively a lot of plants.
>>
>>2332314
To be safe you should find a large bowl instead. Easier for the fish, and easier for you. The waste won't build up as much in the bowl versus the small container. Keep up with the water changes if you go that route.
>>
>>2332357
So I moved him to a small container, but I left about a gallon of his old water in the 2.5 bowl, and turned that bowls heater back on. As soon as the duat settles and the temp is stable, I'm going to just put him back in there with another gallon of fresh water plus the stuff he's in now. He probably won't like that it's barren, but better than not being able to swim around much.
>>
>>2332359
That should be good
>>
>>2331691
>>2331799
Be very careful with Ghost Shrimp, you'll hear lots of stories on the internet about them sometimes going after betta fins
>>
What are some good plants for newfags like me?
>>
>>2332401
kelp
>>
Hey /an/ I need some stocking advice.
Basically I have a 120 gallon tank that's heavily aqua scaped with plants, rocks, etc. I but the only live stock in there is a single neon tetra.
He's been there for about 2 years but I think it's time to add some more.
Any advice?
>>
>>2332439
You're already overstocked
>>
File: image.png (100KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
100KB, 750x1334px
Gotta feeling everything's going to be dead by time it gets here REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 20170310_094724.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_094724.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So, my roomate's red collar reef snail has been crawling around with his foot like this for a couple days now. Anyone know what cpuld be wrong?
>>
Who's the retard who called it new aquarium thread instead of /aq/?
>>
>>2332459
Take it to saltwater /aq/
>>
>>2332467
Are there two different threads? I'm not a fish guy and this was the only one I found.
>>
>>2332459
Nyet. Snail is fine.
>>
>>2332401
Marimo Mossballs, Amazon Frogbit, Java Fern/Moss, Anacharis, and cryptocoryne Wendtii. These don't require Ferts or CO2, though they will grow much better with them. The Frogbit is a floating plant and it reproduces quite rapidly, so be prepared to either sell some each week or throw it in the garbage.

Anyone here keep African Dwarf Frogs before? I'm thinking of getting a few of them along with a Betta and a Nerite to go in a spare 5.5 gallon I have. Any info would be appreciated.
>>
>>2332473
Do snails just do that from time to time?
My roomate has anxiety problems and it's been worrying him a lot.
>>
>>2332489
It happens. It will straighten out.
>>
>>2332480
It depends on the individual animals.

Some bettas are just assholes that will pick at the frog or eat its food.

On the other hand, the frog might mistake the bettas fins for food and tear it up.
>>
>>2332471
No, he's just fuckin with ya. Someone might answer, but you can always google too
>>2332376
Yea he's circling his area this morning. Definitely doesn't seem as active/happy that his big plant is gone though.
>>2332441
kek
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x1763px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x1763px
2 out of 3 of my dwarf crayfish. I forgot their scientific name but they are the one that can be kept with shrimp.
>>
File: IMAG0105.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0105.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
I think I hurt him when I was moving him around, he's got a white spot on his head T_T
>>
I want to put a mystery snail in my betta tank, but will it eat plants? I don't want it to fuck up my smaller plants.
>>
>>2332544
OwO
>>
>>2332563
Only if the plants are dying.
>>
>>2332580
This. Most snails will eat dead or dying plants which will keep the alive plant healthy.
>>
i want to catch a puffer fish, what else can i put it its tank and i understand that they eat almost anything?

Also how do i go about removing the hook without stinging myself or hurting it
>>
>>2332607
What kind of puffer? Salt or fresh?
>>
>>2332632
from a river so salt right?
>>
>>2332634
this will teach you what you need to know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLpZE32QG5g
>>
My betta is suddenly spending all day just floating at the top. Nothings changed I'm still doing weekly 25 percent water changes with the same source of water and he still eats just not as much. But he just rarely moves and I'm really worried he's going to die.

He's about 6 months old. Any ides what it could be? Maybe he's just bored?
>>
>>2332634
Where you from dummy? There's no freshwater puffers in the USA. If all you know is that you want one then you should reconsider. Salt water puffers are pretty darn sensitive.
>>
>>2332702
Australia, was thinking of going down to the contaminated dolphin river to get one. water there is pretty brown and murky, hasnt been clear in years
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x1961px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x1961px
These guys are great.
>>
>>2332703
>Australian
Explains everything
>>
Anyone know if my mandarin dragonet will eat shrimp? My gf wants to get the ones that clean off other fish but im.not sure
>>
File: orb-spider-city-dweller.png (970KB, 900x635px) Image search: [Google]
orb-spider-city-dweller.png
970KB, 900x635px
>>2332705
you mean that i want a poisonous fish? on that note the golden web in my backyard (whos web takes up over 2 cubic meters) just had babies and im finding them all over the place
>>
>>2332706
Tell her to succ it. It's your tank.
>>
>>2332706
they don't eat shrimp. Mouth is way too small.
>>
>>2332711
Thats what i thought, thanks
>>
>>2332707
>you mean that i want a poisonous fish?
he probably means the part where you think rivers are saltwater.

or think that puffers inject venom with spikes.

or think catching aquarium fish with a hook is a good idea.

or think keeping a puffer is a good idea when you have no clue about their ecology

just a guess.
you may be almost as retarded as the cephalopod guy. You're not the cephalopod guy, are you?
>>
>>2332718
The river here salt water below the 5m mark and the puffers found there are salt water ones.

My understanding of puffers was that they can deliver venom via the smaller things on the belly

I also just planned to use a net honestly, no point in hooking

Always gotta learn. I'm not going to go out without learning first.

Cephalopods are the hard shelled things right? Not that guy
>>
>>2332730
>river here salt water below the 5m mark
this is an estuary
>they can deliver venom via the smaller things on the belly
nope
>no point in hooking
it's fine if you use a very small, unbarbed hook and then treat the fish with antibiotics. That's not easy to do.
>Always gotta learn.
try keeping a saltwater tank for a year first.
>Cephalopods are the hard shelled things right?
nope.
>>
>>2332730
>catch puffer
>put it in tank
>it dies
>realize you need a heater
>get another fish, it dies
>realize you need a chiller
>realize you need a filter
>need a bigger tank
>need UV sterilizer and QT tank
>figure out they need live or frozen shellfish
>realize you need a skimmer
>realize they need beak trimmed
>get another fish, it lives a couple years
>realize you need rocks and live prey
>get sick of that fish and go get something you like
you can save yourself all this work by learning what the animal needs and setting it up before you catch it. If you happen to have an empty 100g+ FOWLR or mixed reef already set up for over a year then congratulations, you're ready to go fishing. If not, it's a great time to start buying stuff. Or go fishing and learn as you go, it's up to you.
>>
>>2332540
Tried that, got nothing. He seems to be using his whole foot now anyway, maybe he hurt it on something.
>>
What the fuck, my tanks just exploded with tiny little ramshorn snails, should i wait till theyre bigger and pluck the little fuckers out or just go for it now. What do ??
>>
>>2332843
Not much you can do at this point besides smooth em or use a snail treatment
>>
>>2332843
You can do one of three things (or a combination of them):

>Enjoy them
> Pluck the bastards out
> Lay out traps for them.
Things like leaving a piece of lettuce floating in the tank for a few hours. Snails will gather on it and you just dispose of them afterwards.

>>2332514
Thanks.
>>
>>2332005
>im probably over bias but for a tank that large (the 6ft x 6ft or so) a ply wood base and bottom of the tank seems like an awful idea.
I built a 6'x6'x3.5' glass tank on a 2x4 and ply stand.

mine had a 3/4" thick glass base, drilled for a 3" overflow. It held about 1000 gallons of water and rock, I estimate the weight on the base at 5 tons US.

Mine broke after about 10 years of use. Ultimately the plywood sheets the glass sat on got wet and expanded, cracking the glass on the bottom. It sucked cleaning up 1000 gallons of saltwater in my basement. And as you can imagine most of my livestock died. I'm still scared to patch it up and fill it again. Stands are a bitch to build solid.
>>
File: skeleton.jpg (457KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton.jpg
457KB, 1024x768px
>>2332869
pic related, the structure of the stand before I skinned it out in plywood
>>
>>2332766
i guarantee i wasnt going to just catch one without research. but i probably implied it.

I probably shouldnt even get fish honestly. Last fish i had was a betta, he lived for a year but he was beat up when i got him, his fins had holes in them and he was missing an eye.
>>
>>2332900
a year isn't terrible.

you don't need research so much as equipment.
Puffers are dirt simple to keep as far as saltwater fish go. But like any marine predator you'll need about $1000 minimum to get a decent tank running for them.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 2000x1333px
my inline co2 thing is clogged up or something
it worked great for awhile and I would see a really fine mist of co2
so I'm wondering if I broke it by brushing it with a pipe cleaner or if they just get clogged over time
the instructions specifically say not to brush or even touch the ceramic part and that's you're supposed to soak it in bleach and ideally have two in rotation
I might do that, this fucking thing worked so well for months
anyone have any experience with these?
>>
>>2332904
thanks, i actually tried to care for that fish.

do they really need a heater and cooler?
>>
>>2332907
it would be weird for it to just suddenly get clogged. I'd check CO2 line pressure and make sure the lines aren't clogged where they connect to the injector first. Then try swapping out the ceramic diffuser.
>>2332908
depends on your house temp and lighting. In hot climates most people need both. You can skip the chiller if you use low-intensity lighting and have solid AC in the house. Heater is necessary in any climate. Heater is cheap though. Chillers cost a few hundred dollars.
>>
>>2332915
oh sweet, i reckon my reverse cycle ducted air con would count for both then, i imagined it needed to be tank specific thing because of the energy required to heat and cool water compared to air, but if the house is always at an acceptable temperature then i dont see why it would make a difference past the initial temp change.

The other thing im sort of curious about is the pumps, from what ive read you need a fairly good one for pufferfish, could you not use a quick breeding snail to do part of the job? that would also take care of the puffers beak over growing as well as part of its food question.
>>
>>2332923
>The other thing im sort of curious about is the pumps,
not sure, I don't think it matters. Flow isn't a big deal with marine puffers. They can handle no flow or huge flow, either is fine.
>could you not use a quick breeding snail to do part of the job?
there aren't any saltwater snails that will breed that quick.
>>
>>2332923
>the pumps
if you're talking filter pumps, yes. Puffers are messy eaters. You need a huge filter.
>>
Anyone here keep live food cultures ? Tips, what do you keep etc.. ?
>>
>>2331988
It's not my job to validate shit you make up on the internet, jii-san.
>>
>>2332980
I have a culture of banana worms. I thought they were bigger when I got them at auction and I don't actually have much use for them, but I keep them going just because. They kind of remind me of slime molds.
Oatmeal and a sprinkling of yeast plus a toothpick tip's worth of worms to start a new culture. I got lazy at one point and let one culture go for about two months. It got pretty nasty, but as soon as I started a new one they were perfectly okay.
>>
>>2332843
By some assassin snails
>>
>tfw aquadvisor says everything I'm doing is wrong

I'm sorry, ok :(
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2268px
Snib snab >:)
>>
>got 400ish gallon tank
>got a 50ish gal and 75ish gal tank too
>really want to get back into the hobby
>don't care if it is fresh or salt
>don't really have the money to do it
>don't have the space to install the massive tanks

Fug, I want that 400gal one to be the center piece for my library. I'll have to redo all the glass in it at this rate.
>>
>>2333147
Can I have it?
>>
>>2333153
No. One day I'll have the time, space, and money.
>>
File: prettyfish.jpg (128KB, 1763x992px) Image search: [Google]
prettyfish.jpg
128KB, 1763x992px
>>2330912
same anon here. I found this gorgeous guy in shallow pool near the creek. They darted in bursts along the bottom and hid under rocks. Does anyone know what it is? I took a pic from the side this time.
>>
File: prettyfish2.jpg (49KB, 536x953px) Image search: [Google]
prettyfish2.jpg
49KB, 536x953px
>>2333167
and here out of the water to see the colors better
>>
>>2333167
>>2333168
Etheostoma luteovinctum

Some can look amazing. They are common in microfishing circles. Google "darter microfishing".
>>
>>2333174
thanks. I didn't know they made fishing poles that small. I just used my hand to get it to swim into the container
>>
How to remove your sanity

Step 1: Buy Dwarf Hairgrass
Step 2: Plant it.
Step 3: Wait.
>>
>>2333174
>>2333180
after looking in to those darters I'm thinking it is actually Etheostoma hopkinsi, a christmas darter. Etheostoma luteovinctum aren't in georgia
>>
>>2333184
>>2333174
it could be a savannah darter, too. I can't tell the difference between those and christmas darters
>>
>>2333168
>>2333167
I used to catch darters by hand. They're real pretty sometimes. Occasionally look at fiddler crab tanks in some pet stores. There was a store I used to go to that would accidentally get them in their fiddler crab tanks somehow and would give them to me for free.
>>
>>2333157
Give it to me or I'll bully you.
>>
>>2333082
he's right you drooling moron.
most fish display indeterminate growth, including goldfish.

why won't you search? stupid bot.
>>
>>2333145
So cute. Breed them and send some to me.
>>
>>2333219
>drooling moron
Try picking a different insult out of your hat every once in a while.

>why won't you search?
Why won't you?
>>
>>2333145
What is he ?
>>
>>2333084
Banana worms the same as micro worms ?
>>
>>2333229
I used the same insult, dripping idiot, so you would know it was me and not the person you're currently arguing with.

and I did search. I'm not going to attack your stupidity without first making sure you're wrong.

you're wrong. Suck-start a shotgun.
>>
One Sinbad and five Cory cats makes for a happy tank.

I'm checking the water twice a day and all is well so far. Temp is 78 f, and two ofthecories are active. There are two albinos that haven't moved from their corner yet and I'm a little worried about them, but not going to mess with them. One of the gray ones is giding and I can't see how he is doing.
>>
File: IMAG0106.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0106.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2333235
Goddamnit
>>
>>2333237
Only problem I'm having so far is the betta can see his reflection in the glass. I'm finding the same problem with other people online, but not much of a solution to it yet. I'm a little worried about it.

He's not really flaring, but he swims up and down all over the glass really fast, putting his nose it it, then lays down when he gets tired. He still follows my hand when I put it up.
>>
>>2333227
I already plan to. I have a male with big meat claws and two females.
>>2333230
Dwarf Cajun crayfish. I have them in my shrimp tank. they don't bother shrimp.
>>
>>2333232
>I used the same insult, dripping idiot, so you would know it was me and not the person you're currently arguing with.
Cool.

>you're wrong.
Prove it.
>>
File: how to google for morons.jpg (124KB, 818x783px) Image search: [Google]
how to google for morons.jpg
124KB, 818x783px
>>2333246
>>
>>2333246
Personally I think it would be cool if you got banned every time you pulled this shit, but I don't think mods should have to babbysit you.

Maybe if you do it enough people will learn that the faggot that hands out most of the advice in /aq/ doesn't know shit about keeping fish and isn't willing to learn.
>>
>>2333253
Here's my dubs... Sikes them the wrong dubs!
>>
>>2333254
fuck off
>>
>>2333247
>after one million years, babby finally passes general introductory to logic

>>2333253
>but still cries about being held accountable for anything

It was never about whether I was right or wrong, fampai. You'd have to be pretty dim to actually think that.

>I think it would be cool if you got banned every time you pulled this shit
You get really defensive and butthurt whenever someone expects you to back up anything you say. I get it.

>the faggot that hands out most of the advice in /aq/
I honestly have no idea who you're talking about.
>>
>>2333237
What species of cory ? Good choice on fish btw. You should put a bit of sand in the tank imo aswell
>>
>>2333264
>You get really defensive and butthurt whenever someone expects you to back up anything you say.
I didn't say it.

I googled it for you because you're obviously handicapped.
>>
>>2333264
>I honestly have no idea who you're talking about
you hang out in this thread all day waiting for someone to post something you don't know, then demanding proof and calling them a liar.

this happens a lot because you don't know much of anything.

and it chases decent people away. So fuck off, go away, choke on a bag of dicks, die in a fire.
>>
File: video-1489273683.webm (2MB, 576x320px) Image search: [Google]
video-1489273683.webm
2MB, 576x320px
This is my Oscar, his name is Henry and he had a big day today. This is the tank he's lived in for the past two months. It's a 20 gallon and he shared it with 3 kuhli loaches.
>>
File: Henry.jpg (71KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Henry.jpg
71KB, 960x720px
>>2333279
He's 4 inches long now and he finally has his own 60 gallon which he moved into today.
>>
File: Henry 2.jpg (57KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Henry 2.jpg
57KB, 960x720px
>>2333283
>>
>>2333283
I particularly like the twig.
are you going to do a substrate?
>>
>>2333273
If you aren't the one I'm responding to, don't respond to me.
>>I think it would be cool if you got banned every time you pulled this shit
is enough on its own to justify the comment.

>>2333277
I do it very rarely, you just trigger easily. I also never inply anyone is a liar until after they refuse to offer anything backing up what they have to say, which, despite your hyper-autistic aversion to it, is actually a very reasonable request in the world of mature adults.

>and it chases decent people away.
Doubt it.
>So fuck off, go away, choke on a bag of dicks, die in a fire.
You seem upset. Perhaps you'd be less upset after you took an introductory logic class online. I can Google one for you if you like.
>>
File: 1296338238675.jpg (33KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
1296338238675.jpg
33KB, 300x296px
>>2333312
>is actually a very reasonable request in the world of mature adults.
Maybe in your third-world country where search engines are illegal.

in the rest of the world you just sound like a shit-slurping mongoloid.
>>
File: 5b3.jpg (38KB, 620x390px) Image search: [Google]
5b3.jpg
38KB, 620x390px
>>2333316
Here's that logic course. Sounds like you do need it after all.
https://oli.cmu.edu/courses/free-open/logic-proofs-course-details/
>>
>>2333328
>requires every fact be proven to her
>refuses to educate herself
>pretends to be up to adult conversation
>only accepts proof based on authority, a fallacy
>thinks this is 'logic'
>doesn't understand why adults ignore or hate her
You rail on about autism, a problem you clearly have. How about instead of demanding proof you just stay out of conversations where you don't know basic facts?
>>
File: 30312-youtube_s1cxT6ukNis.jpg (206KB, 1458x729px) Image search: [Google]
30312-youtube_s1cxT6ukNis.jpg
206KB, 1458x729px
Bought 6 kuhli loach today

I had originally intended to purchase hillstream loaches but it was like 1 hillstream for £6 or 6 Kuhlis for £5

My new aquarium is sand bottomed with lots of smooth pebbles with very few plants so I wanted to include quite a few bottom feeding fish.

Since putting them in they've been hiding though. Will they come out eventually?
>>
>>2333345
I love kuhli's but in my experience they're really quite reclusive.
>>
>>2333345
>Will they come out eventually?
No.
I bought 3 kuhlis once. dropped them in the tank. After that I only saw them once a year when I tore down the tank to clean the gravel. I honestly thought they were dead most of the time. 7 years later I gave away my fish. Empty out the tank, and under a rock are those 3 damn loaches hiding like jews in an attic.
>>
Has anyone kept grass or redfin pickerel with any success?
>>
>>2333349
sounds about right; they WILL burrow into gravel, got a pleco and some kuhli's so it doesn't really make for an interesting aquarium
>>
>>2333332
>autism: the post
>wrongness: the side dish
>>
>>2333305
I'm thinking of just laying down a black cloth and doing large rocks. I had substrate in the smaller tank in the form of sand and pebbles and he would always take a lot into his mouth when eating which concerned me.
>>
>>2333365
no but seriously. You're so autistic you think every conversation is a debate that must follow the rules of formal logic.

in reality no conversation is. You're just retarded.

next time you find yourself embarrassed by not knowing something, take a second to google it. That way you don't constantly look like the retard we both know you are. Try to blend in.
>>
Just started working at Petsmart taking care of the fish and reptiles, my knowledge comes from the books we have in the store.

What should I know to take care of the fish or tell others when they want to start an aquarium?

I know the inch per gallon rule, who can't live with who, but what are things you guys have learned that you wish someone had told you right away?
>>
>>2333365
>>2333368
>Try to blend in
or put your trip back on so we can go back to filtering your retarded ass.
>>
>>2333347
Since I have a 20 gallon with only 3 kuhlis in it since the Oscar moved out, I'm thinking of getting like 20 of them and putting them in there. I've heard they become significantly less reclusive when they are in a species only tank in large groups.
>>
>>2333373
probably a good plan. I don't see them hiding as much in store tanks where there's a bunch of them.
>>
>>2333265
I'm not sure the exact species of cory, I'll try to get a close-up picture later. I also looked all over town and the next town over for pool sand, but it seems it's only seasonal and I'll have to get it or aquarium sand online.

Right now though I'm having a huge problem with the glass being to reflective, and my betta will not stop swimming around. I might have to move him back into that damn bowl before he hurts himself.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get the glass less reflective? I can't get more plants in there yet-least not for a while, but maybe I can put something else? Paper on the outside, or some large rocks on the inside? Something?
>>
>>2333277
Report him. If enough people hit the report button, it's an automatic ban whether or not the mods look at it.
>>
>>2333371
The inch per gallon rule is a lie, it's like "I before E, except after C" which is actually true less often than it is. There's too much variation. An Oscar is 9-12" but needs it's own 55+ tank. A 4 inch goldfish needs at least 20 gallons.

Bioload and where and how they utilize tank space is the answer. Every fish is different, and you have to learn about each fish. Learn the basic species and the most popular ones first and slowly read up on the less popular species. Every time something new comes in, learn what it needs and how it acts so you can give potential buyers a heads up. I got freaked out when my oscar sat on the bottom of the tank for long periods of time because all the other fish I've ever owned never did that. It turned out that that is just typical Oscar behavior. The pet store should have told me that.
>>
>>2333381
I strongly suspect he's our janitor.
>>
>>2333345
I'm planning on getting 8 of the striped ones when I get a 55 gallon. Hoping a larger school will make them brave enough to come out.
>>
>>2333371
I think something that should be basic knowledge but really isn't, is that you can't just throw them in tap water.

People might think you're shilling, so be careful how you phrase it, but emphasise that the chlorine in tap water is deadly, and that a water conditer can not only get rid of it, but also help start the cycle process faster so that they don't have to replace their whole stock.

Once they have that basic knowledge, it might make them curious about what cycling is, and if you're lucky, will look into it on their free time.
>>
>>2333383
Report him anyway, because if a janitor gets banned, then that's just more reason for the bigger mods to look into it. Or we can email 4chan directly and tell them they are ignoring a problem.

Because I've seriously thought about not posting here just because I come back and I have to scroll through so much bullshit to see the good posts.
>>
I bought 50 ghost shrimp for $10 at my LFS yesterday in the hopes of breeding them. The guy there said that his friend had done the same but they become infertile or their eggs die if they get too cold during shipping, which happens a lot this time of year.
1. Is that true?
2. Is that a shitty price?
>>
>>2333389
>50 shrimp for $10

The cheapest I can find most cherry shrimp is $2 a pop, so I would say you actually got a good deal. But then again, I haven't tried looking for bulk.
>>
>>2333389
My last sells ghost shrimp for 10 cents each and they breed easily
>>
>>2333388
I assume he's bugguy. He's impossible to get rid of. People have tried for years.
>>
>>2333394
He is permabanned and back on Reddit.
>>2333390
He said ghost shrimp. But as soon as my cherries start breeding I will be offering them for $1.50 for the culls. I believe what I have are Sakura grade as well. They're mostly red.
>>
>>2333401
>He is permabanned and back on Reddit.
He's been 'permabanned' at least 100 times in the few years I've been here. He doesn't go away. Or there's another autistic troll just like him.
>>
>>2333402
He hasn't been back after this one. He has given up.
>>
>>2333404
or the mods made him drop his trip when he got the janitor job. He wanted it and it's no coincidence he "gave up" right after a janitor application period.
>>
Here is my fresh water aquarium
>>
>>2333368
No but seriously you're so autistic that you get triggered by a simple request for evidence.

In reality that's a basic expectation of anyone with a GED or higher. You're just retarded.

Next time you find yourself embarrassed by not being able to function mentally on an adult level, just take a second to gather yourself and respond in a collected and knowledgeable manner. That way you don't look like the emotionally stunted basement dweller we both know you are. Try to act like you're an adult.

>>2333372 #
>he thinks I'm ila
I guess that explains your previous posts, but it's a pretty stupid conclusion to come to.
>>
>>2333265
>>2333378
Looks like C. aeneus.

Putting stuff on the outside isn't going to make the glass less reflective. You can get some plastic aquarium background or needlepoint mesh and put it inside the tank against the walls and floor until you're able to decorate it more fully.
>>
>>2333415
>he thinks I'm ila
kek no
ila was way more educated than you.
>>
>>2333406
He is actually gone. My application was accepted. This is where this conversation ends.
>>
>>2333420
>This is where this conversation ends.
sure it is. Claiming to be the janitor if you are would just get you removed.
>>
>>2333422
lol. Anyway what is everyone's favorite aquatic invert?
>>
>>2333425
We can report you for impersonating a janitor and find out?

you'll get banned whether you're the janitor or not. So I'll never know for sure.
>>
>>2333401
>He said ghost shrimp

Are they cheaper? The places I was looking online had them priced at the same or higher than the cherries.

>But as soon as my cherries start breeding I will be offering them for $1.50 for the culls

Let the thread know when you get going, I'll buy some from you.
>>2333413
Nice
>>2333417
>needlepoint mesh

I'll try that, thank you. Right now he's going back in his bowl though. I moved the filter from the bowl to the aquarium, should I do small daily water changes, or like every three days? Or just a big water change once a week?
>>
>>2333426
Just big time lol
>>
>>2333428
Yeah ghost shrimp are cheap shit shrimps. Usually used for feeder because of their size and cheapness.
>>
File: IMAG0107.jpg (750KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0107.jpg
750KB, 3264x1836px
Thecories are allreallyactive. I can only assume they are all alive because the third grey onemoved and I can't see him.

Here's the white one, which there are 2
>>
File: IMAG0108.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0108.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2333439
And the little grey one, which there are three.
>>
File: image.jpg (299KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299KB, 640x560px
>>2333439
>he keeps his plants in the rock wool
>>
>>2333439
jesus christ my phones space bar has horrible sensing
>>
>>2333443
Can I take that stuff off? I was afraid I would rip the roots apart lol

I have terrible luck with plants and have only ever kept a peace lilly alive, so I didn't want to go messing with them.
>>
>>2333448
Yeah. It splits in half usually. It's not hard to get off. But looks like you have no substrate so it's better than nothing. If it's alive then it's fine.
>>
>>2333452
Yea, workin on that as well.

now my betta won't stop pacing his bowl, even with the plants in there.

I really hope he stops soon, but I think I'm going to just go ahead and order some plants offline and some sand for substrate. The cories seem fine enough though, so happy about that.
>>
>>2333418
>ila was educated
Laff.

>more educated than you
Laff.

Claiming I'm bugguy now is doubly stupid, since you addressed me as female earlier and bugguy has literally never offered advice on aq.

If it really distresses you this much to throw shit then stop insistently escalating these conversations every time they come up, dipshit.
If you're going to post a citation, then post it. Conversation's over.
If you're not going to post a citation, then ignore the fucking post, and the conversation's over. Don't whore yourself out for attention so you can cry later about the big bad internet "girl" hurting your eggshell feelings.

I'm not trolling. I would much rather you just post a damn link and be over it, but you always start shit instead. Like I said, it's not my job to validate or invalidate whatever vomit dribbles onto your keyboard while you're on 4chan. I'm also not obligated to just take some neckbearded NEET's internet """ facts""" as gospel for no reason.

But since you've made it abundantly clear that you're both completely incapable of understanding some basic concepts, I'm not going to ask you to back anything up anymore. I'll try something else instead next time.
>>
>>2333464
pacing is just what fish do. They patrol a territory all day every day. It's part of the reason people keep them.
>>
>>2333468
>I'm not trolling
that's the hilarious part.
you actually think anons have some duty to educate your stupid ass about things you don't care enough about to even google.

I imagine you have everything in life handed to you no questions asked and throw a fit when mommy doesn't bring your tendies on time.

you're a caricature of autism.

I called you a girl because I think of you as one. Impotent, ineffectual, incompetent. Too fat and lazy to even type words into a search bar.
>that's not my job!
>search it for me!
>I'm telling mommy on you!
>logic says you must educate me!
>>
>>2333471
No, this is different. Like, he paced his bowl before and it did seem like he was patrolling, but now he is like...running against the glance frantically, all the way around the bowl, and really fast until he gets so exhausted he has to stop and rest. This isn't like before when he would just patrol and flare at me if I stuck my finger in.

It's really worrying me.
>>
>>2333475
fleeing behavior can be caused by really bad water.

I'd check parameters.
>>
>>2333477
I did a water test and it was fine, and I just put brand new treated water in his bowl+half a gallon of the stuff that was in the tank.
>>
>>2333479
probably just needs time to get used to it then.

fish can also get really active when things improve, so it might be good pacing.
>>
>>2333480
I hope you're right, but I really don't think it is. This isn't like before where he would pace a bit, then look around the plant and around the gravel for food, build on his bubble nest a bit and come to the top for air...

I don't know. I know I can't really do anything else to stop the reflection on the glass right now. Which I noticed their is a reflection in his bowl too.
>>
>>2333482
Update, moved his bowl back to the corner where he was and he's calmed down significantly. I looked at the bowl, and there isn't a reflection.

I don't know what changed but it worked.
>>
>>2333485
When I moved my oscar over to his larger tank today he paced in an odd way too. He would bump into the glass but about an hour later he was back to his old self. Maybe it's just going through an adjustment pahse and "testing out" it's new home?
>>
>>2333474
>that's not my job!
>prove me wrong!
>that's not what I meant!
>stop hurting my feelings!
>everyone else is stupid so I can be too!

Every single post you make makes you look even more idiotic than the one before it. You're a fucking moron and you're completely hopeless. See ya.
>>
>>2333490
I don't know. I mean, like I said before, I'm finding this same problem all over google, but no goddamn solution to it.
>>
>>2333524
I hope things work out for you. I hate how little information is actually easily accessible out here. We should start a /aq/ wiki.
>>
>>2333540
I know...I might actually have to scope the library out for this one.
>>
>>2333541
Add it to the wiki when you figure it out.
>help

http://aqfreshwater.wikia.com
>>
>>2333279
should have named him Oscar
>>
So, against my internal judgement, I put the betta back in the ten gallon and am going to leave him alone for a week. Everything I can find on the issue says they will stop after a few days and get used to it, but that some take a little longer than a few days and to try a week or two.

I'm just going to keep an eye on his this week and if he starts showing any signs of illness, then I'll do something.

>>2333559
If I can find anything, I will.
>>
>>2333495
>denying well-known facts
>have those facts shoved in your stupid face
you're the only one looking idiotic
>>
You could say "water is wet" in this thread and you'd have somebody on your ass demanding a source.
>>
>>2333758
Last thread it was Saltwater, this thread it was sources. Any bets on what next thread will degrade to?
>>
>>2333769
Anything and everything. It's impossible to guess what will spiral into a 40 post shitstorm of toddlers insulting eachother next time.
>>
>>2333769
Nigger dick
>>
/aq/ is truly /an/'s magnum opus. A city upon a hill for all other threads to look up to and emulate.
>>
>>2333573
My wife wouldn't let me.
>>
New thread >>2333966
>>2333966
>>2333966
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.