[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 67

File: triops.gif (4MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
triops.gif
4MB, 320x180px
Previous Thread >>2255238

Inverts-that-arent-shrimp Edition, Mk. III

>The tadpole shrimp (genus Triops) inhabits freshwater, ephemeral ponds in western North America through Central America and into South America. In the U.S., Triops are found in desert habitats. They live in small pools that accumulate after flash floods in the summer. Since these pools are rather short-lived, the Triops consequently have short lifespans, completing their life cycles in a mere 20-40 days!
>Fertilized Triops eggs are called "cysts" or "resting eggs," and can be dried for several years to decades before being hatching when rehydrated. In this cyst form, Triops can withstand extremes of heat and cold.
>http://www.tadpoleshrimp.info/
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDg_Px9f4NI

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://www.algone.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters - http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
What should I feed my nerite snail other than aquarium algae? Should I get more of them? I only have 1 in my 20 gallon planted tank.
>>
>>2259336
Wow those sure are neat looking. Would definitely get some if they lived longer.
>>
>>2259356
Algae wafers
>should i get more of them
Why? Then answer that yourself.
>>
>>2259356
they don't need anything else unless your tank is newly set up. you can also grow your own algae on rocks, but they really don't need much. get more if you want? they're snails, so they're not social or anything.
>>
>>2259362
>Algae wafers
Thanks mate
>Why?
I've never kept freshwater snails, other than an invasion of MTS years back. I just want to see the snail(s) a bit more because half the time, I haven't seen it. I also just don't want to over stock the tank. It's not really crowded, but I don't want to have too much biological waste going on.
>>
>>2259336
So the local limpkins leave some large snail shells lying around, anyone have experience preparing shells as aquarium deco?
>>
>>2259336
Would triops murder my cherry shrimp?
>>
>>2259356
I prefer ramshorns. Look cooler and they can right themselves in case they flip over. I can't tell you how many of my nerites have died from not being able to right themselves.
>>
File: 1827328732.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1827328732.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>mfw putting on a new background

I HURT MYSELF TODAY
>>
File: IMG_20161106_164554368.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_164554368.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
This thing is pretty cool. Do I adjust it for 1 bubble per second coming in to the glass part or going out the top?
>>
>>2259424
I just use a piece of cardboard. I ALWAYS fuck up sticking the adhesive plastic on.
>>
>>2259390
anything near the size or smaller than a triop will get eaten.
>>
>>2259428
Yeah same here, I usually just use blue poster board but i decided to get fancy and get a nice background and use the liquid adhesive...never again.
>>
what do i do with all of my mollies

i started with two

i now have 20

help
>>
>>2259508
sell them
shoot em
skin em
wear em
mount em on a wall
or give them away to a fish store
>>
>>2259508
Give the away as feeders
>>
>>2259364
snails are great since they're scavengers and eat the stuff that was just decaying in your tank. just don't feed them unless you're trying to breed them- almost everyone overfeeds their fish anyhow.

>>2259423
really? my nerites fall down all the time and they're fine.

>>2259423
>>
>2016
>not breeding Killis
What's your excuse?
>>
>>2259541
I have no room for more fish!
>>
>>2259541
I prefer schooling fish. I bred f. gardneri for a while. Neat fish, but not my thing.
>>
>>2259427
Into the glass part, but you want to adjust it so that you have roughly 30ppm co2, not for a certain bubble rate.
>>
>>2259336
Anyone try and set up a population of daphnia in a planted tank with fish?
>>
File: tumblr_ns7sniwWFL1u49g59o1_1280.jpg (254KB, 761x526px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns7sniwWFL1u49g59o1_1280.jpg
254KB, 761x526px
>>2259541
I like my Florida Killies. I mean, they're not comparable to Nothos or other African species, but I like what my special little state offers me.
>>
>>2259553
Dumb looking motherfucker.
I like it, ship me some eggs.
>>
>>2259551
How do I adjust that? I'm new to this whole co2 thing.
>>
>>2259553
Which killies would be good for a community tank with guppies, shrimp, a dwarf gourami, and peacock gudgeons? Are there any? The smaller the better.
>>
>>2259558
Almost all Killies make good community fish. They're not aggressive and they look nice.
>>
>>2259541
I have a breeding pair of F. gardneri in an 8 gallon. I'm just too lazy to separate the eggs.
>>
File: 20253_400wh.jpg (124KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
20253_400wh.jpg
124KB, 400x271px
>>2259558
Rocket killies would be perfect. They don't breed "like killifish," though. They're just egg scatterers.

>>2259559
There are 1200+ types of killifish, and a LOT of them will fuck shit up, including Florida flagfish.
>>
File: IMG_20161006_070818.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_070818.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
What would you guys consider a fair price for this tank? Its a drilled 175 gallon bowfront (72"L x 30"H x 18-24"W). It comes with the pipes for the sump, but I don't have the sump itself.
There's a stand that goes with it, but it has a lot of water damage. Previous over was using it with a 2x4 in the center to support it and that worked fine.

I plan on cleaning up the tank as much as possible (how to get corraline algae off the plastic overflow boxes?) and I could deliver it to the buyer if necessary. I'm trying to get a ballpark idea of what a good asking price would be.
>>
File: IMG_20161006_070759.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_070759.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>2259619
Here's the stand.
>>
>>2259619
$300.

Check out craigslist in your area though, used tanks don't go for much.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Do you fags think using only the big piece of wood in the front would look bad?
The wood in the back is made up of 3 different pieces but I can't make them look good.

And all the rocks I have are too large imo. I just drilled a bunch of holes in the biggest and ugliest rock and I plan on hitting it with a hammer or dropping it off my roof in the morning.
But I'm not hopeful of that resulting in anything worthwhile.
>>
>>2259646
Would look better if you made it slope up towards the back. Like more substrate at the back and less up front.
Would create some depth. What plants will you have in there? Maybe sketch up some layouts.
>>
>>2259557
You need to get a drop checker and solution to put in it. The drop checker solution will go lime green at 30ppm if you have the correct kh water in it. Then you just adjust your needle valve so you get more or less bubbles per second depending on the drop checker. Then you shouldn't really have to touch it.
>>
>>2259580
What's wrong with flagfish? Sure, they're a bit aggressive, but with other boisterous species they're fine in a planted tank.
>>
>>2259629
I'd be happy with that. My boyfriend seems to think we could get a lot more, but nobody within 100 miles of me on Craigslist is selling tanks more than half this size, so it's hard to judge.

>>2259646
Post pics of each piece separately, and maybe the rocks, too. Either here or in an album on Imgur.
>>
>>2259777
Nothing wrong with them. I actually quite like them. I'm just saying they'd fuck up guppies, a dwarf gourami, and shrimp, like the other Anon has.
>>
>>2259619
Go down to the local hardware store and ask for a jug of muriatic or pool acid. It'll take the algae right off without harming the plastic, glass, or any silicone you get it on. The same doesn't apply to yourself, however. You can use it diluted down to 1:5 or 1:10 strength if you're not comfortable working with acid.

Wear gloves, don't breathe the fumes, and keep a box of baking soda beside you incase you get some on you. If you've never worked with acids before, I suggest diluting it down. It's not inherently dangerous, but you *can* hurt yourself if you make a mistake.

What general area of the world are you, by chance? I bet an anon would buy it off you.
>>
File: IMG_20161107_140215.jpg (426KB, 1899x1399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161107_140215.jpg
426KB, 1899x1399px
Does this endler look healthy? He was really bloated about a month ago but it's gone down a bit.
>>
>>2259792
aquariums have a shitty resale value. it's maybe 1/3rd of the new cost, max. if you're not in a hurry to sell, start higher and decrease it if people aren't interested.

>>2259826
this is a great idea. maybe try diluting it in a spray bottle, and make sure you dispose of it properly!

>>2259888
looks okay to me!
>>
File: 20161010_201347.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_201347.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
20 gallon long anon here, I had a question regarding my white cloud minnows in my tank. It appears one minnow has been ostracized from the main group, there are seven in total, but one male white cloud is smaller than the rest, and whole the move about the tank, he usually sticks very close to the surface around the perimeter. Sometimes he will group with them and I don't see them attacking him, but he's always off on his own, any ideas?
>>
>>2259902
if you have room, add more. it's either sick and they don't want him in the group, or there simply aren't enough of them and so they aren't schooling properly.
>>
>>2259910
It's a 20 galling long, I guess I could get 2-3 more more, he doesn't look sick in anyway, just smaller than he rest
>>
File: 20161107_134706.jpg (888KB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161107_134706.jpg
888KB, 4128x2322px
So, I got rid of my larger, more aggressive Golden Topminnow, and my Fatlips minnow. Both aren't ideal, and were too aggressive for the favored bluefin killifish. So, I went back to this canal again, and not only did I get some bluefins, but I caught around six sawcheek darters(pic related). This fucking caught me by surprise. Knowing about darters pretty much from Peterson Field Guides led me to believe they were non-existent in Dade county, but here they are, not a few miles away from my place.
>>
Are there any temperate, shallow water corals outside of southern Australia?
>>
>use eco-complete
>use a neglected filter that was unplugged for two weeks
>"maybe it still has some bacteria in it"
>next day
>8/0/0
>ammonia fucked me both sides anyway
Did a 50% water change, my shipping of cherry shrimps is coming on Wednesday, how fucked am I?
also, any experiences with tetra safestart here? i've used it before, but i'm not sure if it'll work with 1.0+ ammonia
>>
>>2259978
>In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
food the bacteria require to live.

>If you already have fish, and are having an ammonia issue, it is best to get the ammonia levels down to below 4.0. 4.0 and higher is just as toxic to TSS as it is to fish. While 2.0 -3.5 PPM ammonia may harm some of the TSS bacteria, it should still have some effect.

took this from a FAQ
>>
>>2259978
what's the pH and temp?
>>
>>2259987
Temperature is 72-78F
Just tested now:
4.0 ammonia after WC
pH is at 7.6-8, which is odd since my other tank has 7.0...
>>
File: 5ej7cjG.jpg (729KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
5ej7cjG.jpg
729KB, 3264x2448px
>>2260001
wait no, it's not odd, the new tank hasn't cycled yet so the pH will swing until it is cycled
>>
Would a betta cube with builtin filter work for brine shrimp?
>>
File: tumblr_msud15x7DJ1rc9nx2o1_1280.png (258KB, 1000x565px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msud15x7DJ1rc9nx2o1_1280.png
258KB, 1000x565px
>>2260001
don't put your shrimp in that tank! ammonia is far, far too high.

cherry shrimp have a pretty light bioload though. I'd set up a quarantine tank- or jar, or tupperware. set it up with a air pump and sponge or many plants and keep the water clean until your other tank cycles. they don't need a heater or gravel.

for future reference- as soon as a filter dries out, all the bacteria is dead. you might want to pick up some floaters to help get the ammonia down.
>>
>>2259826
Thanks for the advice. I'm in central California. If any of you are interested, let me know.
>>
What would be better for lighting for plants in a 125 gallon (72L 18W 22H), three of https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0016BMTGU/ or one of https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LFF07EC/ ?
>>
>>2260040
If the led is adjustable and you can set the color to 6500k, then that'll be the best. The cfls are okay for smaller tanks with low light plants. Marineland and finnex make the best plant leds but they're more expensive.
>>
File: PARdataSept2016RudySloup.png (73KB, 1307x584px) Image search: [Google]
PARdataSept2016RudySloup.png
73KB, 1307x584px
>>2260040
there are better beamworks models- see the chart. higher PAR is better.

it'd be silly to spend that kind of money on CFLs- I do love them for smaller tanks though. they aren't necessarily for low light only.
>>
File: CFLVert0Refl.jpg (129KB, 705x415px) Image search: [Google]
CFLVert0Refl.jpg
129KB, 705x415px
>>2260046
The whites are fixed at 10000k (10Kk?). I'm only planning on using low and medium-light plants in the tank. I've never heard anything good about Marineland, and it'd cost about double to get 2 36" Finnex fixtures.

>>2260052
The Beamswork light I linked is the Pent 0.50W something, 10000k I guess. Is this the one your pic is referencing? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYELCLC/

The thing I like most about CFLs is how little there is that can go wrong, especially after having the ballast on my 36" T5HO hood go out twice in two years. I was hoping that having 200+ watts of CFLs would make them at least comparable to a ~60 watt LED, but I can't seem to find many people who have bothered testing PAR on CFLs. This one chart is the best I could find, but it seems a little "too good to be true."
>>
>>2260052
Other reasons I was considering the Exo Terra hoods was because I already have one and each one should fit nicely between each of the support brackets on the top of the tank.
>>
>>2260085
wow I somehow misread the title. I thought I checked. honestly I don't know shit about LEDs, all my shit is T8s and CFL. according to http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html, the beamworks would be just barely medium light so depending on what you're going for you may need more. I think that's the same thread you grabbed your chart from though, so you might have seen that already.

those values do seem too good... but they are also in an optimal setup, with a dome reflector and mounted right. Hoppy, the creator of that chart really knows what he's talking about so maybe it's right after all. I know I get great results with my lighting for low and medium light plants.
>>
>>2260088
the CFLs will be more expensive in the long run for both electricity and replacing the bulbs. since the fixtures are the same price, seems like the LEDs are a better value if that's enough lighting for the plants you want.

not to mention, PAR for horizontal bulbs vs vertical is very different: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/837592-post21.html

also dome reflectors are much better than hood types.
>>
I know that bettas are all pretty different, but are there any fish that in general can coexist with them? I'm thinking about moving my betta to a now vacant ten gallon, but would like some other fish in there too

his current roommates are two amano shrimp. who are honestly more aggressive than he is. All the betta does is beg me for food
>>
>>2260121
yep! anything peaceful, that doesn't look like a betta and isn't known to nip fins. most bettas are find for community tanks.
>>
File: rfXJYVn.jpg (424KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
rfXJYVn.jpg
424KB, 1836x3264px
>>2260131
so I figure some corys would be good, but yeah I definitely want something higher in the water column also.
How do you think mollies would work out? I think some black and white ones would be pretty neat for contrast
pic related is Cornelius, I had to distract him with my finger so he would stop staring directly at the camera
>>
What are some beginner plants to grow in an aquarium I'd keep on a shelf like pic related? I have one in my living room that isn't being used for much, so I'd like to put some small aquariums and terrariums in it.
>>
>>2260137
hm after a little looking around it seems that mollies aren't a super good choice because they like really different water qualities

I think i might shop around for rasboras instead

any opinions on wonder killies while i'm at it? Do you think they could get along
>>
>>2260137
mollies wouldn't be my first choice, I've heard they're a little nippy and they're close in size to a betta. I love corys, but you'll want to stick to the tiny ones for a 10g.

>>2260140
depends on what kind of lighting you want to use more than anything.
>>
>>2260143
dunno much about killies. most rasboras would be an excellent choice. you're more limited by what's gonna fit in a 10g than what will play nice with your betta.
>>
Since I'm checking out fish I can keep in 10 gallons right now, I know that white cloud minnows are a popular recommendation in these threads
but I notice they're pretty cold water, I assume keeping them in more betta appropriate temps would be detrimental to their health
>>
File: Household CFL PAR.png (3MB, 949x5514px) Image search: [Google]
Household CFL PAR.png
3MB, 949x5514px
>>2260095
Medium-low light I can work with. I've done some cheap, crap LEDs for very tiny tanks, but it looks like this will be the first big tank LED fixture, so we'll see how it goes. The anon after you got a good thread about idea vs non-ideal setups for CFLs, so those look much less appealing now.

>>2260099
>http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/837592-post21.html
Man, I found that thread years ago, forgot to bookmark it, and haven't been able to find it again ever since. Thanks for linking it, here's an easy to save screen of it. I remembered that vertical vs horizontal orientation made a significant difference, but I couldn't remember *how* significant. I figure the Exo Terra hoods would give me similar PAR versus the Beamswork LED simply out of the sheer number of CFL bulbs they're able to hold, but with much higher running costs.

I don't have the tank yet, so it'll be a while before all of this starts to materialize, but I'll share the build here when I start to put everything together.
>>
File: Cornelius, RIP in peace.jpg (49KB, 635x477px) Image search: [Google]
Cornelius, RIP in peace.jpg
49KB, 635x477px
>>2260137
Mollies and bettas have both been captive bred for so long that they'll easily adjust to the same water parameters. Male mollies can be rather nippy, though, and a 10 gallon doesn't give any of the fish a lot of running room. Panda platies are black and white and generally more lax than mollies.
If you want corys AND another fish, you'll have to go with very small fish such as pygmy cories and chili rasboras.

>Cornelius
Good name, same one I gave my first betta.

>>2260143
>wonder killies
They're bitey little shits. Don't do it. If you want killies you could maybe do clown killifish, but that would depend on your betta's temperament. Some bettas are okay with Endlers, as well.
Espei rasboras would be 530x better.

>>2260159
WCMM won't live as long in tropical temps, but they're not likely to "suffer" from it.
>>
>>2260159
yeah, they aren't compatible because of that.

>>2260167
it was me both times.. I was still googling around since I'm pretty interested in plants. I've been trying to figure out if I should upgrade to LED, but I get great growth out of my $15 shop light and cheap brooder lamps.
>>
>>2260171
yeah im running stuff through this bioload calculator
and at the amount of fish I need for a comfortable school, I'll probably have to pick one schooling fish
I was just hoping to have something on the bottom and midwater

its so hard. cories are just god damn adorable
>>
>>2260177
Do you have LFS you can order uncommon fish through, or are you stuck with chain stores? The following should be fairly safe, if you pick one fish from each group.

Centerpiece
>Betta

Bottom
>6x pygmy cory, dwarf cory, habrosus cory, or Amano shrimp
>or
>3x Hara Jerdoni
>or
>10+ Neocaridina shrimp

Mid/top
>6x espei rasboras, neon tetras, CPDs, dwarf emerald rasboras, golden pencilfish, marbled hatchetfish, or marthae hatchetfish
>or
>10x chili rasboras (or other Boraras spp.)
>or
>3x platies
>>
>>2260182
>hara jerdoni
whoah those are pretty cool

I have two or maybe three LFS, but I'd have to go talk to them about custom orders
>>
>>2260182
Forgot to mention 3x otocinclus for bottom dwellers. Nerite snails are also good, and up to three could be added to any combination here.
>>
>>2260185
They're definitely very cool, but they're also pretty inactive. If you have sand substrate, some moth catfish and hatchetfish (there are also "pygmy hatchetfish," but they're not very nice looking IMO) would make neat little oddball-type of fish to go with your betta.
>>
File: IMG_8337.jpg (263KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8337.jpg
263KB, 1536x2048px
Muh shrimp
>>
>>2259432
Remembering being 6 and introducing my 5 triops to my fish tank with small fish.... It was fucking amazing, traumatized the hell out of my sister.
Fond memories...
>>
so "last" thing does anyone have recommendations for filters for a 10g?
Does it really matter?
>>
>>2260189
>shrimp
every time
>>
>>2260196
I dont get it
>>
File: $_1.jpg (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
11KB, 400x400px
>>2260195
Honestly, any filter that runs 50+ gph will do everything you need it to. Personally, I like the Aquaclear filters for versatility since they have an open media compartment, or the Marina Slim filters if you have a tight space behind your tank.
If you're on a really tight budget, search eBay for "aquarium filter 80gph" for something like pic related. They run about $7 and work great. You can replace the carbon in the little baskets with bio media if you prefer.
>>
I took a little bit of the ceramic eheim ball type media out of a cycled filter to fit in some purigen a couple of weeks ago and set it aside for a new filter
Has all the "good" bacteria on it died by now?
>>
>>2260143
Wonder killies are a bit aggressive. They'll get a bit big for a ten gallon as well. Most killies aren't good betta mates, except for lampeyes. But do go for rasboras.
>>
Maybe you guys can help me out. I'll looking for an led light fixture that has a full day cycle, like sunrise and sunset that I can use for medium-high light plants to put over a 10 gallon. Well, more like a 7 gallon, since I'm making an aio. I'm not looking to spend top bucks though. What's a good Chinese model?
>>
We've came to an agreement we wouldn't flood the OP. What happened?
>>
>>2260268
Planted 24/7
>>
>>2260277
lol no one listens
>>
>>2260265
>lampeyes
I've been told these guys get nippy in tank with long finned fish.
>>
>>2260085
Just say fuck it and buy one of the SB Reef lights planted tank LEDs. Their like 100 bucks, have an amazing plant growth spectrum, and run all the way up to 120w. It has enough power to penetrate 8 feet in water and still grow shit. and its fully adjustable
>>
>>2260277
>flood the OP
What?
>>
>>2260296
Dunno about the killies, but eyespot rasboras look similar and very peaceful.
>>
File: IMG_20161108_115600501_HDR.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161108_115600501_HDR.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
What's happening to this plant? How do i fix it?
>>
>>2260325

There was a discussion and agreement that we wouldn't add stuff that wasn't necessary that makes the OP look spammy which anon has been doing the last threads. Stars with discuss and ends with links and any other info goes into the second post like should have been done with the triops info.
>>
Any other anons work at a LFS here? It's chill during the week and can get pretty crazy on weekends, but my coworkers and bosses are cool. I'm always amazed at families coming in wanting to get 3 gallon no maintenance tanks for their kids and turn down all my advice, at least we're a private business. But luckily that's only the weekends and most regulars are really cool people.
>>
>>2260352
I've worked at two. One was full pet shop that specialized in freshwater fish and a small saltwater section. The other shop I worked at was strictly saltwater and reef stuff. The later is a really fun job. Always seeing new amazing things, getting to go out and maintain millionaires and billionaires reefs and seeing all their houses. Good connections too.
>>
>>2260250
yes, as soon as it dries out all the good stuff is dead.

>>2260195
seconding aquaclear, my 10g has the one meant for 50g tanks on it.
>>
Jesus Christ I never knew how much of a difference co2 made. All my plants are pearling like CRAZY and they've noticeably grown in just 2 days of running the co2.
>>
So update on my bluefins, since last night, they're coming out of hiding, and they've got a few parasites and torn fins. It's normal. All they need is a few water changes and the clean water will spruce them right up. Will add more, and will post pictures soon enough.
>>
>>2260432
>not taking the opportunity to catch some Pygmy sunfish from your are
Why even live?
>>
File: IMG_0107-001 (1).jpg (124KB, 1287x858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0107-001 (1).jpg
124KB, 1287x858px
>>2260435
They are north/central florida. I live in south. However, I once was able to catch a pair of Okefenokee pygmy sunfish once on a trip.
Pic related
>>
>>2260437
I love them so much.
>>
>>2260345
I remember a while ago when the OP was links piled on top of links like a heap of crap, but I wasn't there for the discussion you're talking about. I just thought it woul dbe a little more interesting with a small blurb on each thread. If I make another /aq/, I'll put any blurb-y stuff in the second post. Thanks for being civil.
>>
>>2259427
What is this? So I may Google.
>>
>>2260442
I think either way is fine. It's not like you posted that 50 link monstrosity.
>>
>>2260419
I'd only recommend the 20 or 30 if there's a plakat betta in the tank. Only complaint I have with my Aquaclear filters is that the impellers tend to stick after unplugging it and plugging it back in, or if I run it too long without a sponge over the intake.

>>2260437
>beautiful itty bitty cold-tolerant fish with great personalities
Waiting for the day there's a well-established CB population that can be kept on dry food.
>>
I have a large west facing window with a huge windowsill/nook that could hold a tank. Any plants a newbie should grow in there? I'm not sure about fish yet.
>>
>>2260332
What am I supposed to be looking at?

>>2260450
Glass/ceramic CO2 diffuser.
>>
>>2260456
The red plant with the hole in the middle of the leaf. Why is that hole there? What can I do to prevent the other plants from developing holes?
>>
Tested my GH levels and 25 drops in its still Orange. My tap and distilled water from the filter are much lower, so I'm wondering if something is leeching into my tank or I fucked up the testing.
>>
>>2260470
it could be from the food, substrate, or something else you add in there.

why are you worried about gH though?
>>
I think I might have accidentally flushed my scarlet badis last night after I vacuumed ;_;
>>
>>2260476
Converting my smallest tank over to a shrimp tank.
>>
>>2260487
I can't imagine it'll matter much for shrimp. I don't know how your test kit works though, what does it say your gH is?
>>
>>2260500
I'm using the API drop kit, it's giving me above 25 degrees. I didn't test any further than that.
>>
>>2259646
I don't want to copy what that fat bald nerd from green machine did with his 60p video. I just need another 50 pounds of wood and rock to choose from...
>>
>hmm, I wonder what'll happen if I pour water conditioner into a cup of concentrated bleach
Not a shining moment for me.
>>
>>2260525
...what happened?
>>
>>2260540
his dog died.
>>
>>2260237
>>2260419
is 50 gph not too strong for something that small?
thats why i hadnt considered anything bigger than a 20 gallon filter
>>
>>2260550
you can adjust the flow and there are other ways to make the current less strong. the other guy is right though, the 50gph current is too much for a betta since they like still water.

my tank is pretty densely planted and has endler fry and cherry shrimp. the filter doesn't seem to stress them out since they're breeding in there.
>>
>>2260540
Try it and find out.
>>
>>2260550
GPH is gallons per hour, which is different from the gallon rating for the filter. A Marina S10 runs at 50 gph, a Marineland Penguin 75 at 75 gph, and an AquaClear 20 at 100 gph. Those ratings are achieved without any media or prefilter, and most filters have some way of reducing the flow.
Marina filters' flow control is very good, AquaClear's is a bit more limited in usability, but still functional. That knock-off internal filter you can just swivel the spray bar to point at the wall of the tank.
Even 80 gph in a 10 gallon tank would be fairly gentle, and good hardscaping would allow for lower-flow areas the fish could rest in.
>>
File: hk.jpg (28KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
hk.jpg
28KB, 450x450px
Friend gifted me this, what would be a qt plant to put in it? Thinking about throwing my meme ball in there or something.
>>
>>2260540
The cup got very hot and I was choking for about ten minutes after.
>>
>>2260603
Is the whale a light? You could probably keep some java moss, anubias, or crypts in there as well.
>>
>>2260597
ah word, any tips on wood that doesnt leach a ton of tannins or wont take forever to get it all out?
>>
>>2260610
funny thing is the whale wasn't in the box (friend got it from a secondhand store for 4 bux with a filter), so I already kind of planned on getting a clip on LED light or something for it, or shoving it in the snail/duckweed propogation area I have set up until I can get a suitable small light to keep a plant alive

Think I might do some java moss.
>>
File: Efish flat fish tank.jpg (49KB, 511x475px) Image search: [Google]
Efish flat fish tank.jpg
49KB, 511x475px
How many fish would you guys recommend for me to have in one of these flat compact tanks?
>>
>>2260616
>>
>>2260615
marsillea spp. or pennywort, it'd look super cute!
>>
>>2260616
None.

But you could run maybe 2-3 small shrimp on a small plant. They're honestly just as aesthetically pleasing and interesting to watch.
>>
File: 1478647296614.jpg (24KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1478647296614.jpg
24KB, 500x333px
Is this big enough for a betta?
>>
>>2260635
yes
>>
>>2260635
0/10
You're missing the poop-eating pleco. You know better anon.
>>
>>2260639
wtf is a pleco
it's called an allergy eater
>>
>>2260614
Manzanita tends to be pretty light on tannins.
For mopani, I once simmered a piece on the stove for about two hours, changed the water, then let it soak for a couple days and that seemed to take care of the majority of the tannins.

>>2260632
I'm imagining it with a marimo in the center and pennywort tendrils coming up over the top of the tank and it's too much.
>>
>>2260313
$130 gets you an 16 inch fixture, which I would need three of for the full length of the tank. Either that or two 30 inch fixtures for $250+ apiece.
That's a huge price jump for power I'm not ever going to use or need.
>>
File: Corydoras_habrosus.jpg (23KB, 275x221px) Image search: [Google]
Corydoras_habrosus.jpg
23KB, 275x221px
Just got a pair of Corydoras habrosus, and am now realizing that they would probably be much happier living as a group of 6-10.
Anybody have experience with them? I got them as a bottom-dweller that wouldn't attract the attention of nippy mosquitofish, but unfortunately they regularly swim to the top of the tank to gulp air (normal as I have read) and one of my teenager females chases them on the way down. I hope this is just the mosquitofish adjusting to the new presence, but I may move them to a new tank if it continues. Will they stay on the bottom more often if I get a larger group? Do you think the mosquitofish will lose interest?
>>
>>2260652
or just pack it full of marimos! and a few of those sparkly plastic fish...

>>2260673
it has more to do with them needing the oxygen. test your water! do you have a good source of oxygen in there?

anyways, the chasing sounds like it's not a big problem. most fish will chase each other a little bit.
>>
File: image.jpg (975KB, 3208x1326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
975KB, 3208x1326px
My tanks a fucking mess. Tell me where I should put things.

Plant stock:
6 aponogeton crispus hybrids.
Dwarf Lilly
10 cryptocorne wendtii brown
1 Java fern
1 Windelov fer
1 Asian water fern (actual aquatic species)
And elodea recovering in a 1 gallon tank
>>
>>2260682
Even with the best oxygenation they will still shoot to the top every now and then. Don't shame oxygen shame him.
>>
>>2260682
Well, the article i read said that the gulping was pretty normal for this species.
>>
>>2260684
Fuck my bad grammar.
>>
>>2260682
I breathe oxygen sometimes John. It's what I do.
>>
How do I train my fish to give me kisses? I tried clicker and dominance training but they just peed in their crates.
>>
>>2260688
Cover your lips in good and lower your lips in slowly. They'll eventually associate your lips with food and will come give you some kisses.
>>
>>2260689
Food*
>>
>>2260684
>>2260685
sorry, for some reason I got it in my head that it was excessive gulping. it's never a bad idea to check the water tho.

>>2260687
???
>>
>>2260673
female mosquitofish are quite aggressive, they may adapt to their new tankmate, but for now they see them as a "threat".
>>
File: 1476716320392.jpg (2MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1476716320392.jpg
2MB, 3456x2304px
>>2260683
have a focal point
rearrange plants and bunch the same ones together instead of throwing them all over the place
make complex structures with your rocks
afford more decorations
see pic related for inspiration

>>2260687
thanks garfielf
>>
>>2260701
got any suggestions for a nice backwall like that?
>>
>>2260710
They are bretty easy to make yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (488KB, 951x2447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
488KB, 951x2447px
What does this read?
Looks like 2.0-4.0 ppm, or inbetween, I did a 50% water change and it didn't drop at all.
>>
>>2260717
Looks like 2.0 - 4.0 ppm senpai

Either way, that's pretty bad unless you're just starting to cycle
>>
>>2260721
I'm starting to cycle, I have Tetra Safe Start but I'm absolutely skeptical on the idea of adding it when there's so much ammonia.
also, it apparently expires on 11/17, so I'm fucked if I don't get it in when the ammonia drops.

really looking for a definitive answer, 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0?
>>
>>2260722
From what I can see in your image is at 4
>>
>>2260722
it looks like a pretty solid 4 to me anon
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 640x435px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 640x435px
>>2260725
>>2260729
Thanks fellas, any clue when it's going to get nitrites? It's a 10 gallon, fishless.
>>
>>2260732
If you haven't added any bacteria inoculant like the safe-start, it won't. That is how you start the cycle.
>>
>>2260632
Think I might do Marsillea, would be pretty cute. May change out the picture in the back as it's removeable. Thanks bud, was actually looking for the name of that clover looking plant. It'll be my tank mascot/good lucky charm. Maybe I'll put a piece of jade in there or a penny for the keks

>>2260616
>>2260635

are these piss takes? I only wanted to put a plant in there, fully aware that it's not suitable for animals
>>
>>2260736
Of course it will, nitrifying bacteria are everywhere. People cycled tanks just fine before bacterial additives were a thing.

For a fishless cycle, you're looking at several weeks without additive.

As for the safe start, it will start working at that level of ammonia. Don't pay the expiration date too much mind, it doesn't magically go bad on that date, the number of viable bacteria just starts to decrease. It'll just take a little longer to get up to speed (unless it's REALLY expired).
>>
>>2260603
good lord is that even a half gallon?
>>
>>2260738
Wouldn't 4.0 ammonia kill TSS?
>>
>>2260741
In my experience, elevated ammonia levels slow down your initial bacterial bloom and increase the time to cycle, but it'll still cycle in the end. It takes a LOT of ammonia to sterilize the water, and I'm going to -assume- he didn't just literally pour ammonia into his tank...

...although I was wrong one other time.
>>
>>2260740
Just read the box, it's a 1/2 gallon. Suggested fish: betta

"Ask store associate about proper fish and quantity for this aquarium"

???
>>
File: babytears.jpg (163KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
babytears.jpg
163KB, 1024x768px
>>2260477
oh my god, how could you not look in the bucket first?!?!?!!? >:l
>>
File: nope.jpg (24KB, 435x480px) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
24KB, 435x480px
>>2260717
>>
File: Pseudomugil-furactus-Peter-1.jpg (43KB, 750x390px) Image search: [Google]
Pseudomugil-furactus-Peter-1.jpg
43KB, 750x390px
Bought 12 of these guys online. Hopefully they don't develop tuberculosis like my other Rainbows, I've had great success with this retailer's Kuhlis in the past
>>
>>2260743
you could put a ramshorn snail or two in there and 2-5 neocaridina shrimp if you are stretching it.

That's why I hate such advertising.
>>
>>2260743
you could put a ramshorn snail or two in there and 2-5 neocaridina shrimp if you are stretching it.

That's why I hate such misleading advertising.
>>
File: tthhiiccc.jpg (100KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
tthhiiccc.jpg
100KB, 600x800px
I cleaned my sand and when I filled the tank it was medium cloudy

I waited 24 hours but it's still cloudy?

Can I run the filter with it like that and would the filter help make the water clear?

Or do I have to keep replacing the water until clear?

I really want to avoid cleaning the sand again, I wasted so much water
>>
>>2260780
I would like to say God bless trump. Run the filter and do small water changes if you feel like the filter isn't helping.
>>
Is the guy that took the cruise to the Caribbean still here? I just uploaded a video montage of a SCUBA diving trip I did during the summer in the Florida Keys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN2sAMbOBHk
>>
>>2260814
Is it okay to run the co2 in my sump/hob filter? I guess I'm really heavy handed because everytime I turn on the co2 it blows up. Or really messing up my sand bed.
>>
>>2260845
Didn't mean to quote you, I am sorry. But yeah, I'm glad God Emperor Trump won.
>>
>>2260845
Co2 is fine to run in sump.
>>
>>2260851
Should I still be running it a ceramic diffuser or should i just hook it up to my return pump?
>>
>>2260814
God bless trump. I'm getting crayfish soon, any tips? I have everything down, gonna get a 10g tank, run a cycle, hopefully it'll work out
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Should I buy this? It's what I want, but I don't know if I should based off of how the leaves are looking.
>>
>>2260882

those are emersed leaves anon, they're dying back because it's been submersed so the plant will kick out different leaves soon enough. The new (submersed) leaves should look short and rounded kind of like glossostigma,
>>
>>2260882
It'll be fine. Trim off damaged and dead leaves. Put it in an aquarium with good lighting, water, and co2.
>>
File: image.jpg (765KB, 2434x2179px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
765KB, 2434x2179px
Crypts make me diamonds
>>
>>2259508
theyre know for breeding

let them feast
>>
>>2260770
Where do you buy less common fish online?
>>
File: IMG_20161109_160615571.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161109_160615571.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I got some pygmy cories! Will pick up 3 more next week.
>>
is anyone here crazy enough to own seahorses? I gotta know
>>
File: IMG_20161109_161317944.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161109_161317944.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2260945
Also bought some Monte Carlo. Was emersed. How long before they die and grow submersed leaves?
>>
Hey guys,

Can pH actually matter enough to a fish that it could kill it?

I got 6 Pencilfish maybe 4 or 5 days ago. 1 died on the second day so I figured transportation stress - it happens. But today I got another death and the fish was alive like one hour before I found him dead. Yesterday he was sizing up with the other male. No nipping happened but the other male chased him so much that after a while it seems like he was always in a corner or behind a plant. Could this stress possible have killed him? Or could the pH of 7.3 ish have played a role? I believe 6.8 is optimal for them.
>>
File: image.jpg (975KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
975KB, 2048x2048px
Top is now and bottom is yesterday. I'm still missing things. Maybe get rid of the aponogeton and get some other background plant? Rock cave is staying where it is as my Raphael and bristle nose enjoy it
>>
>>2260957
theres no way 7.3 ph killed them, you realize thats borderline neutral water right?
>>
>>2260960
you need more hardscape
rocks or driftwood, it just looks empty
>>
>>2260968
I do need driftwood. Maybe that's what will help it look better. I will go to the creek and get some better rocks maybe slate to make a cave. The more I look at it the more I hate it.
>>
>>2260957
Had a pH swing kill some of my guppies, but that's only because they were swimming in acid. It was around 5.7 pH. There no way ph in the 7's killed your fish.
>>
>>2260780
leg anon? is that you?
>>
>>2260957
pH of 7.3 is almost perfect.
>>
Got a school of 12 Emerald Rasboras yesterday, they're shy little guys. Hopefully they get a bit more comfortable otherwise I'll never see them.
>>
>>2260968
nothing wrong with open swimming spaces
don't clutter it, simplicity is aesthetic.
>>
File: AquStockImage.png (12KB, 550x70px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage.png
12KB, 550x70px
r8 my tank stocking
>>
>>2261033
are you housing a small shark

>>2260960
I like anonkun, what's that black fish doing tho...
>>
>>2261033
and this is why aqadvisor is trash
>>
>>2261037
It's a betta that was in a 1 gallon hexagon tank before my neighbor gave it to me. He's healing pretty well. Even had popeye in both eyes.
>>
File: pzXQKQ5.jpg (934KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
pzXQKQ5.jpg
934KB, 3264x2448px
Just ordered from Dustin's Fish Tanks, this is what we have:
-Ordered 10(received 13) Cherry Shrimps at juvenile age
-a really beaten down but recoverable dwarf saggitara subulatuler or something
-mysterious """"free"""" plant, not sure if it's a floater or a rooter
water test from dustin's water:
0.50-1.0ppm ammonia
7.6+ pH

now.. 2/3 of my tanks aren't cycled, i do have a neglected tank that has beneficial bacteria in the gravel, though it's pH is around 6.7, any way i can transfer the shrimps into the not so shitty water without disturbing them?
skeptical on drop and plop.
>>
>>2261047
whelp. im retarded. im supposed to mix the old water with some of the tank water.
>>
>>2260945
Habrosus, not pygmy, but just as good.
>>
File: aesthetic.jpg (62KB, 628x471px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic.jpg
62KB, 628x471px
>>2261030
>don't clutter it, simplicity is aesthetic.
>>
how do you deal with moving if you have a tank?
I might be going away for school again and I don't want to have to wait anywhere from 2 to 4 years before I can set one up
at the very least im going to wait on it until I see if Im moving out or not
>>
>>2261010
Brevibora dorsiocellata or Celestichthys erythromicron?
>>
>>2261073
UGGHHHHHHHHH A E S T H E T I C

>>2261075
cry a lot, it's ok to let it all out
smuggle some cherry shrimps with a 5 gallon tank
>>
>>2261075
>move animals and filter media to bucket
>drain tank down to substrate
>plastic wrap top of tank to keep plants wet
>move tank very carefully
>>
>>2261075
>>2261078
Wait, I misinterpreted that, disregard.

The dorm won't let you have a 3-5 gallon shrimp/betta tank?
>>
>>2261072
Oh boo. Were sold to me as pygmy. Any difference in feeding or care for them? They're still cute af.
>>
>>2261080
I dont even know if I'll be living in a dorm or have to find an apartment
I have a ten gallon i wanted to do something with, but i'm currently in the planning stages of finding a medical school to go to

although i do have a 3 gallon betta tank that I'll have to take with me too
>>
>>2261073
A wise sage avoids both extremes
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>2261081
Care is identical. Pygmies stay smaller and will swim in the mid-level more frequently, but that's about it. Pic is them.
>>
>>2261083
Most apartments I've seen and dorms I've heard of allow aquariums up to 10 gallons, so there's a good chance you'll be fine.
>>
>>2261089
What's the smallest school size I should get for my Hasbros? I read between 6-10. Currently in my 20g long I have 1 dwarf gourami, 2 adult guppies, 8 guppy fry, 3 Hasbros, 2 mystery snails, 2 Amano shrimp. Don't want to overstock. Was going to give my guppies away but they went and had babies.
>>
>>2261108
Didn't you have another dwarf gourami?
I'd ditto 6 as a minimum, but if I were in your situation and still willing to get rid of the guppies, I'd get a dozen of the cories. They're just too good.
>>
File: IMG_7257.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7257.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Should I rearrange my plants or something? I feel like my tank looks funny. I got that background recently but I'm not sure if I like it. What do you guys think?

>>2261083
If you're living with other people they might not like it too much. My housemates didn't like my fish tank at first since it makes sounds
>>
>>2261108
go for a full dozen, your stocking is fine.

>>2261128
it looks funny because there's all that open space in the middle the only fish are at the top.
>>
>>2261128
You need some rocks or chunky driftwood. I've never been a fan of backgrounds except for solid colors or gradients.
>>
>>2261132
I was thinking of getting some chunky driftwood! I did have black background before but i felt like it made the tank look smaller

>>2261131
they all swim to the top when i go near the tank because they think it means food time
If I got a big chunk of driftwood for the middle, do you think that would make it look better?
>>
Anyone own serpent loaches? I found out my LFS received a shipment of them mislabeled as hill stream loaches.
>>
>>2261128
Plop a big rock right in the middle there. Would look a lot better. Or some kind of underwater castle type thing.
>>
>>2261136
definitely! I'd put a rock, driftwood, or move a sword to the middle. the background looks pretty bad, but you won't notice it after a while.
>>
>>2261136
Putting it right in the middle would make the tank look too symmetrical. Generally 2/3rds off-center is better, then adjust the plant densities appropriately.
>>
My brother was given a betta fish in a jar as a gift 2 months ago. Since the person who gifted it, nor he cares about its well being I got a 15L tank for it. But after not doing much research it went 2 months with no heater and I'm guessing 18-20c water. I've had a heater installed and slowly warmed up the water and just bought a filter. Also I would take the fish out to do a 100% water change moronically.

It's never moved much but now it seems much sicker than usual. It never comes up to feed at the surface so I poke the food pellets down to him but he still struggles to eat it. It is losing colour around its face. Is there anything more I can do?

I can't believe I've had to spend so much money on a fish that's not mine and never asked to look after it. I hate seeing it suffer.
>>
>>2261208
Did you cycle the tank? Chances are, ammonia is in your tap when filling up the tank and it's taking its toll.

Just had a near traumatic experience, woke up, checked on the temporary shrimp set-up, and I noticed that 3/12 of the shrimps were dead and the rest were almost paralyzed.
Grabbed another bucket of crayfish tank water. They went in laying down.
Thought a little bit, used some warm tap(copper in hot water is a MYTH unless you have some shitty piping), neutralized the ammonia by using Tetra Safe Start, and then plopped the rest in there. They're doing fine.
>>
File: IMG_20161109_194236.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161109_194236.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
My anubias flowered yesterday. Also, pond snails are cunts
>>
Added 4 more bluefin killies yesterday. The two I added earlier are starting to come out more. I've still got to work on their Ich. I'm adding Ich Attack every day. Hope all goes well!
>>
>>2261229
Can't you just raise the temperature up to kill ich?
>>
>>2261125
I gave one to my friend because I bought 2 males by mistake. They started fighting :(
>>
>>2261231
Do you think my Panda garra and Stiphodon Goby could take it? They're mountain stream fish.
>>
>>2261235
>what is "FUCKING GOOGLE" for 600?
>>
>>2261264
I looked it up and some people have said that their loaches were fine with salts and raised temp, so I guessing the same can be said about garras. And I'm guessing the API aquarium salt is what they refer to as the ingredient for salt. I've got a whole load of it at my place and I'll use it after a water change. I also put a bubbler in to increase oxygen, though it has lowered my water temp to 78.4 degrees last time I checked(I don't use a heater, but I still have one). So I'll try and see if my heater works and get these cum-colored fuckers out of my tank.
>>
>>2261267
I will say that using aquarium salts long term isn't good. Especially for the tards who use salt for there African cichlids who don't need it and cry when they die when they forget or run out of salt.
>>
File: 45Gul3515ed.jpg (23KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
45Gul3515ed.jpg
23KB, 600x400px
>>2261277
Oh I know, I haven't used my stuff for years. It's just been sitting in a cabinet.
(pic related)
Other than the garra, almost all animals in my tank have some correlation with salt
>pretty much all florida killis tolerate salt. Most of our species are completely saltwater
>Stiphodon gobies are part of oceanic plankton as larvae
>Nerite Snails and amano shrimp can only breed in salt
>jungle val and java fern are some of the few salt tolerant freshwater plants.
I'm pretty much set.
>>
>>2261076
Celes. They're still shy at the moment, some have made their way out but they all cluster behind my driftwood when I try and feed them.
>>
File: image.jpg (678KB, 2236x2525px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
678KB, 2236x2525px
>>2261281
Teehee
>>
>>2261226
where'd you get that rock brosky? Exact one I'd want in my eventual 10gallon for crayfish
>>
>>2261208
See if you can get the tank water tested for ammonia and nitrite. The store where he was bought might offer to check your water for free. If those check out, you could maybe get a broad spectrum antibiotic for him.
It always sucks having to learn things the hard way in this hobby, but even if he doesn't make it, you can carry this knowledge and experience with you forever, and maybe get another pet in the future with the supplies you bought.

>>2261221
Ammonia comes from fish waste and decaying organic matter (eg food). Any moderately developed country is not going to have ammonia in tap water.

Copper levels in your tap water shouldn't be affected by the temperature of the tap, but EPA regulations for copper allow levels considered toxic to shrimp, so it's possible there are people out there with "crappy pipes" whose tap water is toxic to shrimp regardless (not that this is completely relevant).
>>
>>2261235
You have to raise the temp to 87+ to kill ich. I've done it with neon tetras before, which are supposedly sensitive to heat, but something like a stiphodon, which is specifically cold water (right?), might not fare as well.
I've also had good experience with Seachem Cupramine.

>>2261295
Man I love those little dudes, but the only store around here that carries them always gets them in as skeletons and wants $6/ea for them.
Try sitting in front of the tank for about ten minutes whenever you go to feed them. Eventually they should realize that you're the one associated with food and get more used to you. It's worked for me with very shy threadfin rainbows and CPDs.
>>
>>2261385
Yeah I've been feeding them at my work so I made sure that they've settled for awhile before bringing them home. We have them for $3.75 but I use my employee discount. I would have gone the CPD route but those guys have such a quick turnaround I never have a chancd to get them, I should ask my boss to order more. Or I'll pick up some more plant trimmings to give them a bit more cover.
>>
>>2261318
Got it with the tank, it's actually fake and if you were in Australia I would give it to you for free. Got some actual rock instead.
>>
>>2260717
Reads DEATH.
>>
File: danio_species.jpg (53KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
danio_species.jpg
53KB, 450x300px
>>2261386
Are you talking about getting CPDs as well? It's not generally recommended to mix Celestichthys species for fear they might be able to hybridize. More cover is always good for small, shy fish like those. Having some areas that are very densely planted and an open swimming area in the front of the tank is usually best. Giant hairgrass with leaf litter along the bottom would probably be the best way to approximate their native environment.
>>
>>2261382
they actually add ammonia some places to increase the effectiveness of chlorine. it's not strange at all to find ammonia in tap water naturally either. nitrates in my area are 2.4 ppm straight from the tap.
>>
I set up a CO2 paintball system and through my vinyl pipe I can see some kind of black liquid.

Anyone know what this shit is? Should I be worried?
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 801x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 801x600px
>>2261427
>>
When I left my power was on. I was only gone for about an hour and 30 minutes and when I walked in power was back on. Fish are all good. Should I be worried about the bacteria in the filter?
>>
>>2261439
Should have mentioned the power outage happened as soon as I left.
>>
>>2261443
It's probably fine.
>>
I've had my otos for a week now. Had one casualtie. The smallest one after I left for two days. But the others are good. How do I know if they're eating? Would they have died by now? I have lots of green spot algae on the back glass I see them just chilling on.
>>
>>2259336
I had these, theyre pretty fun
>>
>>2261430
Chloramines such as monochloramine (NH2Cl) are a "combination" of ammonia with chlorine, which will cause some tests to come pack positive for ammonia, but are easily removed by any half-decent water conditioner such as Prime. Nitrates in tap water are pretty common. I've never heard of straight ammonia (NH3) being in tap water.

>>2261435
What?
>>
File: fatoto1.jpg (22KB, 600x634px) Image search: [Google]
fatoto1.jpg
22KB, 600x634px
>>2261439
I've never seen evidence suggesting that nitrifying bacteria will die that quickly as long as it stays wet. I've also read several accounts of people successfully seeding new tanks with media that's been kept in bags for hours.
If you're still concerned, test the tank for nitrites and ammonia.

>>2261448
Otos dying off after being first introduced to a tank isn't uncommon, but you should be offering them some kind of supplemental food such as parboiled vegetables or algae wafers (Omega One is the only readily available one I'd recommend). Their bellies should be round without being bloated (as that's a sign of parasites). Pic related is a healthy oto.
A note, otos aren't usually recommended for green spot algae. It's too hard for them to scrape off with their mouths. Supposedly nerites will eat it (though mine have done little toward it), but the best way to get rid of it is with a razor. I've also been able to take it off with melamine foam sponges ("magic erasers").
>>
>>2261427
Oh no I'm not getting CPDs with this tank. Just the emeralds. My tank is currently carpeting Monte Carlo at the moment, but I can always fill it with more plants.
>>
>>2261469
if there's nitrates there's ammonia somewhere down the line. it should be pretty much 0 everywhere though.

>>2261448
most otos are wildcaught so that's pretty much to be expected. it actually takes a long time for a fish to starve to death.
>>
>>2261473
I put hikari algae wafers in every night broken in half. One for my pleco and the other side where the otos chill. But there stomachs aren't looking full but they aren't sunken either. I'll have to keep an eye out.
>>
File: 20161110_182649.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_182649.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
He is h i d d e n
>>
File: 20161110_193627.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_193627.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
My anubia grew a new leaf buts it's pale as fuck and not green at all, what am I missing from my water that my plants need? Cuttently using seachem flourish excel
>>
File: 20161110_194248.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_194248.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>2261548
Here are my white clouds, you can see them grouped at the front of the tank, and then you have the one loner minnow way I'm the back, how can I help him join the group.
>>
>>2261548
likely either iron deficiency or too much light. anbuias is a pretty low light plant and it looks like it's getting a crap ton.

I really like the algae that's grown on all the rocks, it looks pretty awesome.

don't worry about the minnow too much- if he doesn't seem sick pretty much all you can do is put in more minnows and hope that fixes it.
>>
Think I might have killed a shrimp and one of the habrosus. Left the co2 running for longer than I meant to. Lights shut off an hour before i could turn the co2 off. Although, his fins were clamped since I put him the tank, he might have just been sick. The other ones are fine. And the shrimp is a ghost shrimp so I don't know how much I should read into it dying. Anyways, I put the two dying critters in a separate tank with new treated water. Hopefully they feel better in the morning.
>>
>>2261573
Should I do a water change in the main tank?
>>
>>2261575
naw, it should have just been an oxygen problem. it'll balance out.
>>
File: Furcatus-fry.jpg (526KB, 2838x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Furcatus-fry.jpg
526KB, 2838x1680px
>>2260936
I bought mine from Bob's Tropical Plants. I literally live about 2 hours away from him, and I've had good success with his Kuhli Loaches in the past, so I wanted to give his blue-eyed rainbows a try

Speaking of which, I ordered 12 and he gave me 14. 2 of them look like they're about to die from stress and are floating around in the tank, and 1 had a really deformed spine. I'll give the floaters a chance to see if they'll recover, but I netted the hunchback and gave him a swift squishy death asap.

I expected them to be juveniles, but I didn't actually think he'd be shipping me 1cm fry... They look close to these
>>
>>2261551
Its hard to really judge, you have a lot of algae in the tank but if its a few weeks/months of buildup it could be manageable. The plants are getting completely fucked though.

If you are serious about going planted I would boil the hardscape and do a waterchange to reset the tank, then dose a complete set of fertilizers and plant heavily. Maybe toss in some amano shrimp as well to eat any algae that shows up.

Flourish excel is not enough to support plants on its own.
>>
File: gaRCOSw.jpg (135KB, 600x1101px) Image search: [Google]
gaRCOSw.jpg
135KB, 600x1101px
This is what happens when you want to fit four aquariums in three square feet of floor space.
>>
>>2261581
I got a neon with a deformed spine once.. it actually lived for a few years. I would have given it a chance.

>>2261582
you don't need to boil the hardscape to get rid of the algae, you just need to correct the imbalance.
>>
File: KbTOV9I.jpg (252KB, 723x1200px) Image search: [Google]
KbTOV9I.jpg
252KB, 723x1200px
>>2261585
>>
>>2261588
holy shit, those aren't yours are they?
>>
File: 20161110_211610.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_211610.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2261587
That's what I'm trying to find, the imbalance any ideas? Do I just need more plants and maybe additional substrate? It's eco complete
>>
I use a water conditioner that supposedly removes it. I will get it checked
>>
>>2261590
They are mine, had them for about 8 months now. I took that picture a week ago, after trimming and rearranging the top tank. It looks a little more grown in now.
>>
>>2261593
you can't tell if the issue is light or nutrients without running tests. most of your plants would do find with low light and nutrients, so I'd definitely say that getting more plants would help. floating plants do a great job at taking out nutrients and filtering light.

what's your tank size and light? it's a finnex planted plus right?
>>
>>2261595
wow, those look seriously incredible. definitely on a completely different level. how long have you been in the hobby for?
>>
>>2261601
You nailed it! And it's on a 20 gallon long, I also applied silicon along the led cover so water would not get inside. Do you think the algae is too many nutrient? I only run the light 6 hours a day
>>
>>2261603
I have about six years of planted tanks, with a ten year break in the middle.

I try to keep my tanks very low maintenance. The bookshelf has modest lighting (30-60 par), fairly light CO2 (~10ppm), and very low bioload (no fish).

There really isn't any chance of algae when all the inputs are so limited.
>>
>>2261607
naw I knew already lol, I've been helping troubleshoot your tank for like a month or two now.

I don't know what your issue is, but if you have algae you know there's either too much light or nutrients. sometimes it's a different issue, like flow, but that's definitely not what you're seeing.

I googled PAR values (which are a measure of the amount of light plants can use) and it seems that for your tank, your light is really, really strong. most of your plants are pretty low maintenance, so I think your light is overkill. or it could be nutrients since it sounds like you have several sources, or it could be both! that's why I like using floating plants- fish like them, I like them, and they do a fantastic job at outcompeting algae. you could also try not dosing fertilizers for a while if your plants don't suffer.

for reference- a PAR value of 50 is high light.
>>
>>2261610
OK I'm going to pick out some plants to order gimme a few min
>>
File: image.png (303KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
303KB, 750x1334px
I don't know if anyone cares or not but here's this.
>>
>>2261610
Let's not forget with highlight you're going to need co2.
>>
>>2261587
I'd also be concerned about it possibly spawning as well, that's why I wanted to just cull it right away
>>
>>2261635
It will be 27-28
>>
>>2261636
yep, I already knew that dude has CO2.

>>2261635
petco?
>>
>>2261643
Yes petco
>>
>>2261588
Oh my god these all look great, I'm insanely jealous. Makes me wish I got rimless tanks when i started.
>>
>>2261609
>very low bioload (no fish)
Shrimp, then?

I've got plans to do a similar setup. My hangup is with the centralized filtration. I love sumps for big tanks, but I feel paranoid about connecting multiple tanks. I know it's the best way to go, but I'll still probably end up using sponge filters. Obviously my plans don't include great looking display tanks like yours.
>>
>>2261663
Plumbing them together has some advantages.

Buying a full set of equipment for multiple small tanks is expensive and takes a bunch of space. Simple tasks like fertilizing and regular maintenance also get super annoying across four tanks.

Since they share equipment and water, I only need one heater, pump, and reactor. I can fertilize/test the entire system as one tank, and waterchanging the sump effectively does a ~20% change for all four tanks with only a few minutes of work.
>>
File: im ready.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
im ready.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
One of my crystal black shrimp is berried. I'm almost considering moving her to a separate tank so I can keep a closer eye on the babies. Last time she got berried they all seemed to disappear.
>>
>>2261573
Unfortunately my habrosus died in the night. The damn ghost shrimp survived though.
>>
>>2261643
Hey so I found s ok me plant packs online, what do you think about the section they have, I was thinking about just buying one of the packs and putting it all in the tank.

https://theaquariumplant.com/product/easy-aquarium-plant-pack-6-species/
>>
>>2261828
all the plants in that pack are really nice (except for hornwort, hornwort sucks). in my opinion you do really need floating plants- they do a different job than the other plants in that pack.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=floating+plants&_sacat=0

I'd stay away from duckweed and fairy moss though.
>>
Is liquid co2 worth it temporarily? Going to get a setup in a week or so but I think I'm killing my plants brehs
>>
>>2261836
it definitely works, the cost is pretty ridiculous though.
>>
File: Crystal-Red-Shrimp.jpg (82KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal-Red-Shrimp.jpg
82KB, 600x422px
I have a significant amount of algae in an aquarium that's about 4 months old. It has turned the water green. I introduced a UV sterilizer and have turned off the lights/CO2
It's started to work. My question is will all of this dead algae increase the bioload? I only have a handful of shrimp and it's an 80 gallon tank
>>
>>2261842
yup it will. just do a few more water changes than you usually will. I'm sure it'll be fine with such a small bioload in the tank.
>>
>>2261828
>>2261831
I really like hornwort. I've never been able to get anacharis to grow in a heated tank.

For floating plants, I strongly recommend Salvinia minima. I started out with a small $4 bunch and now it's covered my 40 breeder, a 12 inch cube, and a ten gallon. I ended up tossing about 2 pounds of it a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>2261891
hornwort is fine until it starts shedding. it was hell trying to get all the dead plant out of my tank.
>>
>>2261894
Looks like pine needles on a forest floor, and my shrimp look cute picking through it.
>>
>>2261894
It won't shed unless you plant any of the stem. Then it starts dying. I wish mine would root like it does in the wild.
>>
>>2261831
OK getting this plus 2x water hyacinth what do you think?
>>
>>2261919
looks fine to me. I think water hycanith grows pretty large though?

>>2261913
hornwort sheds on a cycle. maybe yours is just in great conditions so it doesn't shed as often though.
>>
>>2261921
Jesus they grow up to 3 feet, any way I can train it not to do so? I guess I'll go with something else, was thinking amazon frogbit
>>
>>2261924
yeah I've heard good things about frogbit, I wish I'd gotten some of that instead of what I have. red root floaters look neat as well!
>>
>>2261921
I pulled mine out of a lake.
>>
File: such deal.jpg (62KB, 1016x476px) Image search: [Google]
such deal.jpg
62KB, 1016x476px
>>2261926
ok so final decision here, found some good stuff of etsy, but switched to the salvinia minima mentioned earlier.

all that for under 40 even with shipping!
>>
During an infestation of small snails, could those snails get stuck in an angelfish's gills and kill it? If they did get stuck in its gills, would that cause extreme bloating before death?
>>
It's been only a day and I've already confirmed 4 deaths of the 14 Pseudomugil furcatus fry. I did the "plop and drop" acclimation method since even though they were only bagged for 24 hours, they were probably stressed. In fact, a few of them were already having trouble swimming when I opened the box and inspected them

All the weak individuals seemed to have died off now, but I can only count 8-9 little ones. They seemed to respond well to SF Bay Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp, glad I drove an hour to buy these. Hopefully, my colony of fry survive to become healthy spawning adults...
>>
File: DSL.jpg (70KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSL.jpg
70KB, 576x1024px
>>2262016
>Pseudomugil furcatus
Looks beautiful how big do they get? Anywhere to get them online?
>>
>>2262018
They get about 2 inches. That anon said he got them from Bob's Tropical Plants here: >>2261581 but that they were sent way too small. Check Aquabid regularly to see if someone puts some up for sale.
Also note that you need a lot of cover for them by the time they get to be adults. An LFS near me had about a dozen in a twenty gallon and every single one of them was missing at least one eye.
>>
>>2262038
why were they missing eyes? I have some floaters comming in so they would have cover
>>
>>2262040
They all bit each other's eyes out.
Other Pseudomugil species are gentler, eg mellis and gertrudae. Gertrudae is generally pretty easy to find, too.
>>
File: IMG_20161111_214025.jpg (3MB, 3874x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_214025.jpg
3MB, 3874x3006px
Hey /aq/, I got this hanging windchime decoration pretty cheaply from a thrift store and I'm wondering how to tell what kind of wood the driftwood on it is. Is it real, and can I put it in my tank? I want something small as a centerpiece for my 5g. Thanks!
>>
>>2262063
I would probably see if the wood even sinks at all, may need to soak it
>>
>>2262063
If you can dent it with your fingernail, it's too soft to use in a tank.
>>
>>2262040
>>2262052
Wait, fuck, disregard. I'm getting furcatus and signifer mixed up again.
>>
>>2262068
Aw, looks like it does. Too bad! At least it looks nice as just a decoration.
>>
New thread
>>2262109
>>2262109
>>2262109
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.