[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it that makes specifically Americans so bad at dubbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 37

File: LAND OF THE FREE.png (30KB, 1235x650px) Image search: [Google]
LAND OF THE FREE.png
30KB, 1235x650px
What is it that makes specifically Americans so bad at dubbing anime?

>french dub
Okay, the characters sound approximately like they should.
>spanish dub
Perfect, would watch it instead of the Japanese if I was fluent in Spanish.
>english dub
All the characters sound completely different, tone is completely changed, the meaning is changed wildly for no particular reason, everything is overtranslated

Is it cultural ignorance? A small dubbing industry? Incompetence?
>>
>>160038814
americans are born stupid by default
>>
France and Mexico are weeb countries, especially France. They even get some manga releases before the US.
>>
>>160038814
What is it that makes non-Americans think it's ok to make dub threads? Fuck off.
>>
What is it that specifically constitutes a bait thread?

Is it the facetious filename? A U.S flag? /int/?
>>
>>160038814
Superior Romance languages > Filthy Germanic English
>>
>>160038814
Because they unionized.
>>
Anglos are born dumb because they where inbreeding for thousands of years.
>>
>>160038939
I'm not a native speaker of French or Spanish either though.
>>160038962
I didn't find any other suitable images in my image folder.
>>
>>160038814

>Dubs
>Good

>>>/co/
>>
>>160038814
>french dub
>Okay, the characters sound approximately like they should.

french dubs are the worst by a huge marging. american dubs dont even compete with how shit they are. never seen one with actual effort put into it, all the characters sound the same plus horrendous broken accent whenever they have to use a foreign word or name.

but to answer your question its because they are cheap bastards who want maximum profits so they do botchjobs with a lot of dubs and a lot of americans dont care how bad it gets as long as it's american.

>>160038888
>France and Mexico are weeb countries, especially France.
which makes it even sadder how terrible their dubs are

>>160038969
nobody gives a shit about the actual language, what matters is the quality of the acting. well except americans, they really like throwing around the "you only like the japanese version better because you dont understand huurrr" when really its more about them not wanting to accept anything thats not american. i really liked the english dub of xenoblade chronicles and the last story, but that wasnt american and behold, americans kept shitting on them because of "ew the accents are shit lol".
>>
>>160039123
Why are you making dub threads on /a/?
What part of FUCK OFF do you not understand?
>>
File: do.jpg (487KB, 760x1080px) Image search: [Google]
do.jpg
487KB, 760x1080px
English dubs need to stop being done with US voice actors, and switch to UK instead. Great Britain has the highest standard of voice acting in the world, and Americans turned dubbing into a lazy joke. There would not be any drawbacks from this.
>>
>>160039206
>>160039307
>>>/v/
>>
>>160039307
I wish British English returned to being the standard instead of shitty Burger English. Fuck Hollywood.
>>
>>160038814

>Perfect, would watch it instead of the Japanese if I was fluent in Spanish.
lol
>>
>>160038814
You obviously haven't ever encountered the Russian dub.
>>
>>160039307
>>160039369

Anglofetishism is one of the great diseases of white people.
>>
File: 1477359076197.png (232KB, 429x667px) Image search: [Google]
1477359076197.png
232KB, 429x667px
>>160039307
>Great Britain has the highest standard of voice acting in the world
>>
>>160039403
That's nothing. You should listen to the Chinese dubs. The chink languages are the worst fucking sounding languages on the planet and this is coming from a chink.
>>
>>160039307
Okay, Big Green.
>>
>>160038814
You can understand English and point out it's problems more easily then Japanese which takes years to become proficient in, it's why so many weebs give them shit.
Not saying they're aren't bad dubs, but the idea that our mother tongue is somehow a cancer on Anime is an ancient meme that will never ever die.
>>
>>160038814
My theory, national wealth and large population means there's a large native entertainment media. So no need to get good at dubbing somebody else's. it might be related to the disdain for subtitles and foreign movies. A place like LatAm on the other hand, has to have good dubs, because it's not just abut anime, but a whole bunch of other media, because people want something more than to watch crap telenovelas.
>>
>>160039558
see
>>160039206
>they really like throwing around the "you only like the japanese version better because you dont understand huurrr"
>>
>>160039307
>There would not be any drawbacks from this.
That would not be very MAGA of you.
>>
>>160039422
No white person likes anglos. And before you make the obvious retort, think about what you will be told in return.
>>
>>160039707
>"you only like the japanese version better because you dont understand huurrr"
But it is true.
>>
>>160039780
Only if you're a fucking moron.
>>
File: Vampires.png (603KB, 800x436px) Image search: [Google]
Vampires.png
603KB, 800x436px
>>160039307
Bring back glorious UK dubbing
>>
File: IMG_7122.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7122.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>160039184
Worth noting

Although the exception isn't the rule
>>
File: 1479435373071.png (211KB, 517x614px) Image search: [Google]
1479435373071.png
211KB, 517x614px
>>160038814
Shitty monotone English. No fucking accent, which makes the dub insufferable. Also, they're terrible making girly voice for the girls. They tend to sound horrible.
>>
fuck all of you guys. English dubs are good. I have seen a little over a hundred dubs and most of them are really good, some are great and about 20% are mediocre/bad (The early 2000 ones).
>>
>>160039707
How can you objectively grade the quality of both works if you can only get the "essence" of what a Jap says versus the whole Language in English?
IMO you cannot, and simply saying it will always be better is a cop out since that's not actually grading the voices in any sense.
>>
Didn't go to voice acting schools and cold read scripts
>>
>>160040029
>No fucking accent
>Implying nips can do anything close to an accent.
>>
>>160040135
I can understand the difference in American, English and German and a bit of French Accents, still can't really tell any difference in Jap dialects.

Do they just not have extreme variance, like an audible drawl or strictness?
>>
>>160038814
The Jew nose. Every fucking woman in voice acting these days seems to have very congested sinuses. Like a guy effecting a falsetto, they speak from the back of their throats, rather than naturally carrying their voice through the entirety of the esophagus. Might also be because they can't reach the same pitch as tiny Asian seiyuus.
>>
>>160040106
One of them is one of the biggest parts of the market where you are required to go to special schools and almost train like and idol.
The other are literal tumbr-tier cosplayers and the same 3 people that wong get a real career.
And just because you are retarded does not mean that people can not grade voice acting, even if you were to assume that they do not understand the meaning.
>>
>>160040295
I actually like they don't reach that ear bleeding squee seiyuus get. Only the most deep voiced of female seiyuus make me think "adult woman", a lot of them sound like they're aiming for "high pitched 7 year old".
>>
>>160038814
screw that french dubs are the worst it make it sounds like you are watching a kid show
>>
>>160040106
I speak 4 languages including nip and English. English dubs do in fact sound worse. Happy now?
>>
>>160040295
>naturally carrying their voice through the entirety of the esophagus
lewd
>>
>>160040323
This assumes only those that get anime voice acting roles do not have any sort of training which is wrong. Just because in Japan it's a rat race to get a voice acting role does not mean that a classically trained English VA is somehow worse.
Also retarded has nothing to do with the fact that you can not objectively grade two different voices if you can only understand the language of one of them. You're basing the other off of presentation and delivery alone, not what is being said.
>>
>>160040335
But that's just it though. The English voice actors somehow believe that they must effect a really high-pitched voice to make the character believable, or acceptable to those watching the series. I'm also not a fan of women dubbing teen boys' voices. Unless your voice went full Louie Armstrong/Marlboro Man during puberty, most men should still be able to effect something 99% resembling their teenaged voices.
>>
Simply put, options and competition.
There's like 5 fucking voice actors in the US so they do shit work.
>>
>>160038814
Perhaps other languages sound better because you can't understand it
>>
>>160038814
In America voice actors who have talent are voicing American cartoons.
>>
>>160040135
>>160040199
>Do they just not have extreme variance, like an audible drawl or strictness?
Your powerlevel is just low as fuck
>>
>>160038814
>spanish dub
>Perfect
It's just ok most of the times.
>>
>>160038814
american dubs are just fucking awful

bad voice direction bad quality overall they're voice acting because they're bad if they were good they wouldn't be doing that job

british voice actors are better they actually had good schools and experience in threater and better voice directors
>>
File: USA32.jpg (243KB, 850x1318px) Image search: [Google]
USA32.jpg
243KB, 850x1318px
>>160038814
America has a larger entertainment industry in general. Very few 1st or 2nd tier movie or tv actors do anime dubbing on the side. Also, there is little mixing between the talent pools for American cartoon dubbing (Disney, Fox, Nick, CN, etc.) and Japanese anime dubbing. So the American anime actors are people you've never heard of, and typically do only anime or some local live theater. Occasionally there's someone who was a minor character on a TV show or had a bit movie role.
TLDR; >>160039671 = right
>>
>>160040532
dbz dub is absolutley perfect
>>
>>160040502
The only accents you get are the gaijin thing they do like Karen, but they are a ton of dialects.
>>
>Watching any media in any language besides the native one
Literally shit
>>
>>160040567
Just admit that you are mexican, not it's not.
>>
I want at least one anime being done in australian dub and no toning down, with all australian expressions intact.
>>
>>160038814
If you want a truly hilariously terrible dub, listen to some of Manga Entertainment's 90s releases. Nothing more hilarious than Britbongs trying to do "American" accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
>>
>>160040551
>there is little mixing between the talent pools for American cartoon dubbing (Disney, Fox, Nick, CN, etc.) and Japanese anime dubbing.
This right here. There are plenty of excellent American voice actors (the entire cast of The Simpsons, for instance), they just don't do anime.
>>
French dubs are not good. Spanish ones usually are though, and it's weird how that works.
>>
>>160040199
Try listening to Kansaiben vs regular Tokyo Nihongo vs whatever the heck Fukui accent(Arata from Chihayafuru is the one that mostly comes to mind) is supposed to be. That last one sounds almost like Korean.
>>
>>160040806
Man, you're mad.
>>
the main problem with dubs (aside from them not translating japanese text on screen) is that you loose the subtle nuance of hearing their stupid japanese words or when they try to speak english. makes a funny anime even funnier, and by watching subs, your parents cant hear whats going on, but its harder to watch anime drunk unless you watch dubs
>>
>>160040826
Let me guess, people with that accent are made fun of since Japs hate Koreans right?

Don't the Japanese find any accent outside of the Kanto plains to be exotic when seen on tv? I heard that somewhere.
>>
File: 1484258977167.png (129KB, 355x380px) Image search: [Google]
1484258977167.png
129KB, 355x380px
>>160040806
>First: America is the number 1 country in the world.
>>
>>160040858
I have no idea, I honestly can't remember if he got made fun of in school for that. It's just that the way he stresses certain syllables, and specific pauses in the sentence, remind me of what you might typically hear in ads for Korean dramas. Don't ask me to differentiate Korean regional accents though, I don't watch kimchee, though if I did, I'd probably be able to tell you accent A is from Seoul, B is from not-Seoul, and C is from Pyongyang.
>>
>>160040597
The rest of latin amerrica exists anon, and everyone got the mexican dub. And even hating mexicans as much as we do, everyone appreciates the masterwork known as the dbz spanish dub
>>
>>160040806

that's the Philippines, you nig
>>
>>160040806
>First: America is the number 1
Pretty sure that's Afghanistan.
>>
>>160041023
Is it? Cool lets all talk about how much we hate the Phililppines now.

Seriously, what is it about filipinos that makes them so incapable of making a good anime dub? Every other country can do, so why not them? Is it cultural ignorance? A small dubbing industry? Incompetence?
>>
>>160041116
Well, most of all those Southern Asian Countries are filled with wild untamed jungles, not every person on those islands may be :civilized" and infrastructure is kinda crap outside major cities.

Hell, Guinea only became important after WW2 because we found oil deep in the jungles.
>>
>>160038814
Youre biased, thats all
>>
>>160040806
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs
>>
I like how you equate english dubs to america

Anyway animu characters speaking a subhuman language like spanish is a gigantic turn off famalam
>>
File: mariachinoctis.jpg (97KB, 500x441px) Image search: [Google]
mariachinoctis.jpg
97KB, 500x441px
>>160041116
>what's a joke

I don't know about their dubbing industry. But I'll go with Mexican dub anytime. It's good, and has been since the beginning.

even thought, voice actors get shit pay, and really nothing from it, they still do it
>>
>>160040646
I grew up watching dubs like this. I generally like dubs nowadays. I'm halfway though Tsuki ga Kirei and it sounds pretty great.
>>
>>160040477
ding ding ding

American voice actors tradtionally have to have a shit ton of range because back in the day they had monsters like Mel Blanc who could do a gorillion distinct funny voices. Nowadays they have a handful of guys who are expected to be able to do like 15 different distinct voices for iconic cartoon characters and they usually don't mess around with niche shit like anime dubbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmJALXh_sI

Also, as others have pointed out, the REALLY good actors are doing Hollywood-type shit, which dwarfs pathetic Nip media. That being said, I fucking love shit like the 4kids dubs.
>>
>>160039206
At least for NGE, it seemed like they managed to get the characters somewhat right, unlike the American where Asuka sounds like a 40-something year old and Misato like a 20-something year old.
>>160039558
But it's apparent the tone is entirely different, compared to any of the foreign dubs.
>>160040532
OK = perfect in the sense that it's an accurate reproduction
>>
THe worst english dubs i heard never even came from america
>>
>>160040199
>an't really tell any difference in Jap dialects.
>>160040578
>but they are a ton of dialects.
Implying anyone gives a fuck aboot japanese dialects.
>>
File: IMG_0946.png (98KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0946.png
98KB, 565x600px
>>160040806
This is pasta, right?
>>
>>160040806
>When Rome all but ruled the world guess what everyone thought of the Romans? "Fucking romans bunch of stupid idiots they don't have any unique or interesting culture my country is better. Oh hey neighboring country, do you hate Rome too? Yeah totally, our countries are WAY better than fucking rome, rome sucks at everything."
That's not what happened.

>When the british empire was the biggest in the world guess who everyone hated? The british.
That's not what happened either.

People hate America, because you deserve to be hated. You don't even deserve to be told why you're hated, because you wouldn't even accept the reason.
>>
>>160040806
Looks like a pasta. I wont get mad.
>>
>>160038814
>watching dubs
Why would you watch it with anything other than the original, intended voice actors?
>>
>>160041463
Say that shit to my face bitch, Kansai dialect gets me rock hard, it's the best thing ever made.
>>
>>160038814
>spanish dub
>perfect
I can't understand how people think this. French/German is almost always pretty good regardless of media, however.
>>
File: america.png (49KB, 1360x188px) Image search: [Google]
america.png
49KB, 1360x188px
>>
>>160041493
Because the japanese voices sound boring. I don't understand japanese, so i don't care about those bland voices. Im not autistic enough to pretend that some nip-non-ching-chong bullshit is gods own language. I want to enjoy anime. I want to watch it and listen to it. That's it.
>>
>>160041478
>being buttblasted over a copypasta

Seethe , bitch
>>
French and Spanish are romance languages and have a lot of fast cadence to them. You can also conjugate verbs to imply subjects, much in the way that Japanese functions. English demands subject specificity more than Japanese, which makes the two languages already at odds.

Then you have to consider our American talent pool-- it's atrocious and unionized. The women all sounds super manly and lack the extreme degree of femininity that Japanese intonation has, and since English has less flow than many other languages, you're going to get just ugly women voices everywhere. The only good female VAs I have heard for covering the Japanese voice ranges are from Tales of Berseria-- those girls were good. But everyone else has been so patently awful. They just do not sound feminine enough. US women in voice acting are too god damn manly to pull off cutesy characters.

Women in other countries are way more feminine, but US women really suck. They are the worst in the world. Watching them imitate actual feminine ladies is painful.
>>
>>160041534
Computers and the internet are British.

Look up NPL Network, Babbage, Colossus, etc.
>>
>>160041478
>non argument
>non argument
>non argument
>"And I'm not arguing because you don't deserve it and you're too stupid to accept me superior reasoning"

Haha I totally can't wait until China takes over, they're gonna be so much nicer to everyone than the USA.
>>
File: dragon kaio.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dragon kaio.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
It is my dream to be a voice actor, but I am so hesitant with Funimation being the ones to handle things in this country. They stick to big names and write horrid dubs.

I'd be happy to just be a traditional actor, but voice work would be the dream, truly. It's a shame our best are shoved aside.

At least some gaming has hope.

Optional: Post any character and dialogue and I'll do a quick reading. Feel free to give direction.
>>
>>160041581
I don't know. The "american" """actor""" for Yuno in Mirai Nikki for example sounded excessively feminine/young for example, like an actual 14 year old was doing the voice acting.
>>
>>160040806
Stopped reading there
>>
>>160041534
>The pleasure of knowing the mere existence of your country inspires hope and pride in the down-trodden and foreign, but also wrecks destruction on the hearts of the corrupt and unjust.
>The pleasure of knowing they follow your news, politics, celebrities, business, science and general affairs religiously
>They use our inventions (computers, internet, English language, electricity (Faraday Motor)) to shitpost nonstop about how much they hate you and everything related to you.
>>
>>160039403
Russian dub is great.
https://youtu.be/YCyo4geEu-0
>>
While we're at it, let's talk about the japanese dub too.
>>>/wsg/1788287
>>
>>160038814
Changing how the voice of a character sounds is not really a bad thing if done correctly. A character may have the potential to have various voices and still fit. It all really depends if its done appropiately.
>>
>>160041900
I'm sorry who? Are you britsh or something? Nobody cares enough about britain to hate or love it. How would you even rationalize thinking the world is obsessed with you? What do you base that belief on?
>>
Bring back campy 80's and 90's dubs.

All heart, no talent.
>>
>>160041696
She's one of the rare few exceptions.

Ultimately, the problem is more that the people who can translate into English do not seem to have a grasp for the actual way things sound in English. That challenge is compounded by just how much English is fundamentally different from Japanese.

Flatly: Japanese is really cool, but in a lot of ways, it is absolutely fucking retarded. Want to confess love for someone? Too bad, even though this is something that happens all the fucking time for humans to procreate, you're stuck using vague and ambiguous words that could mean damn near anything.

Americans can have a contempt towards Japanese-- it comes from watching series where a character is dying their last breath, and then says something really vague and obnoxious. That does not fucking happen in English. Our emphasis on the subject means that damn near the first thing we will say is the name of whoever killed us. We articulate subjects and imply actions. SVO is fucking awesome for not being retarded.

Meanwhile the Japanese have SOV construction which fucking blows. They leave things undefined for so fucking long that it's absolutely disgusting. It's the shittiest language feature of all time. For example, watch Tsurezure Children Ep3. There is an extended conversation where no one knows what the other person is talking about. He's confessing to her, but she thinks he is talking about cleaning. In Japanese, that is a possible conversation. In English it is just so completely impossible. So it does not really translate.

Combine that with our horrible talent pool and you get a mess.
>>
>>160038814
> the meaning is changed wildly for no particular reason
Trump was already in office when the Kobayashi-dub was made, right? He failed us all
>>
File: 1441842270607.jpg (48KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
1441842270607.jpg
48KB, 700x990px
>French dubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWDsDVJjHZc
>>
>>160042035
to compound onto your point, the nuances of any language don't translate well into each other because they have so many cultural and social undertones that it takes actually living in a country and experiencing it for yourself to be able to understand the language itself.
>>
>>160039403
>>160041922
Russian fandubs are usually okay, but shit from a technical POV.
>>160042035
But the subtitles don't have these problems at all. If they'd just have the voice actors read the subtitles out loud instead of trying to "convey the tone" by using slang excessively, it'd be much better. And the casting is just flat out odd, it's not like there's only one VA in the entire US willing to do anime. The Russian fandubs are usually just 2 actors (1 male, 1 female) doing every character, but they still seem to be able to do it more accurately.
>>
>>160038888
Why do Americans always equate Spanish with Mexico?
>>
>>160041581
This guy gets it. English as a language is less compatible with Japanese and makes it more of a bitch to translate. Regardless of actual talent, I always feel like the English dubbers have less fun than the romance dubbers due to frustration and this comes out as a product that feels too forced.
>>
>>160042315
Because majority of their closest neighbors,mexicans speak spanish?
>>
>>160042315
Because it's their neighbor, and most latam dubs are mexican spanish.
>>
>>160040416
Presentation and delivery are the parts that make a dub good or bad you dingus
>>
>>160042315
Because those third world country shitholes never do anything to be worthy of recognition.
>>
>>160041572
Just fuck off back to /co/ already.
>>
File: 1473741949676.jpg (36KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
1473741949676.jpg
36KB, 640x432px
>>160038814
>talking shit about America on an American website
>>
>>160042584
America or Mexico?
>>
The Sailor Moon dub is vastly superior in every way and nothing will sway my opinion on this
>>
FUCK YOU AMERICA
>>
I hope Japan starts to expand it's animation out to the US market
>>
>>160038888
no wonder why France is full of cucks
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>160039307
>>160039369
>>160039854

You really want anime to sound like this?

https://youtu.be/xRcxz1MSPd0
https://youtu.be/gzIxn-F1t48

https://youtu.be/thqDfH4vF6A
>>
File: 1496175472595.png (191KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1496175472595.png
191KB, 500x376px
I want anime and manga to be Japan's major export.
>>
>>160041454
>never even came from America
America confirmed for shitty sex partner.
>>
>>160040806
Stop dragging in shit you found on /pol/.
>>
>>160041584
False, the Internet was invented by a US-Canadian.
>>
>>160038814
>French dub
>Spanish dub
You are like little baby
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZHPmB9I8hw
>>
>>160041581
If by "cutesy" you mean ear bleedingly high pitched, what you call feminine i call annoying, what you call manly I call "sounds like they actually hit puberty". Also, English of course is different, we have different syntax.
But we don't have to deal with any of the polite pronouns, and we do not have to constantly denote our station in life by referring to those above us and below us with certain terms, equality baby!
>>
>>160042287
It's not a fan dub.
>>
>>160038814
Pedro stop stealing my internet connection all dubs beside Japanese are bad.
>>
I cant speak for French dubs as I never heard one, but spanish dubs are very good to superb because latin america has a long history of consuming foreing media, so, in order to make its mass distribution apalatable you have to dub as many people dont speak english.
At least on Mexico an Chile cases, that turned out in the consolidation of the dub scene composed mainly by professional actors, not ritalin saturated stuff we get from most US dubs.
IN the US they seem to try to cut corners at every step of the process so usually they get mediocre actors to do the jobs in order to stay profitable.
>>160040532
illuminate us then sempai. Give us examples so we can do an assesment on your sayings.
>>
>>160038814
Language barrier, I think. The American accent isn't really used to the comparatively simple sounds of Japanese.
>>
>>160043117
And I want another season of ATHF but we all gotta wake up every now and then even if we don't want to.
>>
>>160043228
always loved this one, I actually sing this myself from time to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1U_PdiMAko
>>
>>160038814
The italian dubbing is ok too
>>
Because maybe we want guys to be voiced by actual guys, rather than women pretending to be guys.
>>
Dubs have been getting a lot better recently, but quite often they are still garbage.
Very few American women can actually pull off cute.
Sometimes they don't even bother to try and it sounds like a 40 year old woman voicing a 16 year old anime girl.
Most of the time now they get a voice that's higher pitched and younger but it still doesn't sound genuine.
Some other anon mentioned Yuno from Mirai Nikki and that's one of the rare cases where they actually managed to get a voice that geniunely sounded like a cute 16 year girl with the right speech patterns and emotion.
>>
>>160038814
All the good voice actors work for Disney, Fox, or Warner Brothers and are expensive.
>>
Japanese voice actors and animators need to unionize and demand more for their work.
>>
>>160041287
>spanish
>subhuman
lol
>>
>>160043713
It sounded like a 16 year old girl, but everything else was horribly off.
>>
>>160043803
>Japan Unionize
That is unacceptable, now get back to working all nighters 6 days a week, sleeping overtime at the office, going on stupid company outings because the boss is going, and then killing yourself out of work stress, you worthless Japanese Peon.

Seriously, their work culture is slave drive levels sometimes.
>>
>>160039307
Let that child alone!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQ-m35Z0f4

Most genuinely cute English voice i've ever heard
>>
>>160043053
Still better than the rushed garbage Funimation puts for their simuldubbing.
>>
>>160038814
Wait, is Spanish/Mexican dubbing really that good? I used to be near fluent and wouldn't mind giving it a try
>>
Someone answer my fucking question.
>>
>>160038814
Sorry to disappoint you but french dub are dogshit as well, for the most part, still not near as bad as american dub though.
>>
>>160044254
>can listen to Japanese with subs
>better listen to dubbed shit
It's like you're fucking retarded
>>
File: revy.jpg (235KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
revy.jpg
235KB, 1920x1200px
How about shows with good dubs?
>>
>Americans have a monopoly on dubs because we're good at business
>non-Americans are the only ones who actually watch dubs and make constant threads about it
>DBZ to this day is still the only instance where dub > Jap
woahhhh
>>
>>160044664
>can listen to Japanese with subs
That would also imply having to read them.
Also, let's not pretend that knowing Spanish is a waste of time. I live about a day's drive from the border and my roommate basically became fluent just from the sheer amount of time he spends around his El Salvadorian coworkers.
>>
>>160039307
But I don't like Middle Eastern accents.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVrHX4VgSQ

I'd watch all of aria in italian if I could find it. There was a video with what I think was ep 1 of origination and you could hear all of the character voices but I think it must have been deleted. A lot of them seemed pretty decent though I'm not a fan of alice's voice.
>>
>>160044711
>>DBZ to this day is still the only instance where dub > Jap
>there are people that unironically believe this
>>
>>160044642
This, there are very few good french dub, from what I remember FMA 2003 and GTO are good, Kill la Kill is not that bad as well but everything else is terrible.
>>
>>160044503

you are gay, but for different reasons than the ones you're asking about
>>
>>160038814
>Spanish

Hope you mean latin american spanish. Spanish from spain sounds absolutely fucking ridiculous.
>>
File: 1446679541117.jpg (210KB, 553x594px) Image search: [Google]
1446679541117.jpg
210KB, 553x594px
>>160038814
I'm a total Ouiaboo, but French dubs are horrible. The fuck you on about?
>>
>>160042315
Americans don't know other countries exist.
See >>160038864
>>
>>160044692
Here we go again with dubfags trying to turn every thread into a recommendation thread. No, people don't want to hear about Reddit's top 10 dubbed anime for the 1000th time.
>>
>French dubs
>superior to anything
https://twitter.com/kmeuh/status/754759357569589248
>>
>>160038814
German dubs are pretty good too, maybe I'm biased because I always watched cartoons on german TV as a kid. They tend to make guys sound younger sometimes though.
>>
File: 1428957743610.png (249KB, 650x686px) Image search: [Google]
1428957743610.png
249KB, 650x686px
>>160045591
>Japanese try to speak French
>"RA VIE EST DRRRRRRORRRRRRE"
>It's amusing

>The French try to dub anime
>"Sheenjee-koon"
>The cringe actually hurts me

Wat?
>>
>old hag does the preteen screechy girl voice
y-yamero!
>>
>>160045697
It's like Japanese females VAs don't know about the lower notes on the staff, preferring way up high to reasonable, puberty adjusted middles sometimes.
>>
>>160045651
>german dubs
>pretty good

German dubs are, for the most part, really fucking bad because they cheap out on them. The Haruhi license was expensive, I get it, but why waste money on a dub at all? Especially one so bad? And that's the common story for most german dubs nowadays, they're just plain bad.

The rare exception were things like the Digimon dub and whatever MTV broadcasted (outside of the whole "Let's replace the Escaflowne OP with generic shitty french house" debacle).
>>
>>160045651
I remember them being pretty good, too, but I've heard they've gotten worse over the years, which is a real shame.
>>
>>160045651
>>160045732
To further back this up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYMah032KE

This is fucking nightmare fuel, from the way they pronounce Senshadô to the fact they didn't even try to make it Panzerfahren, it's just a waste of money and opportunity
>>
>>160045531
Far from a dubsfag, that's literally the only show I've seen where I thought the dubs we're good. Everyone knows most dubs are shit, but it's refreshing when you find one that isn't.
>>
>>160045766
Why would they want to translate Senshado?
Nobody translates karate, judo, taekwando, aikido, capoeira, taichi, silat, etc.
>>
>>160045732
Germans dub mainstream music. I once watched Nothing Else Matters video but it was dubbed in german. Russians should have finished the job.
>>
>>160041630
>Funimation
>stick to big names

How to spot someone who stopped following the industry 5 years ago.
>>
>>160046058
Don't know where you found that video, but the only music they dub are anime intros. Dubbing mainstream music would have defeated the purpose of playing said music.
>>
>>160042315
Mexico is the leader in spanish media,and sadly mexico is the USA of Spanish speaking world
>>
Because our suits are, for the most part, total fucking Jews. The only things that Japan ever localizes here have a rabid buyer base in America that'll buy the product no matter WHAT the fucking voice acting sounds like.

I think Square is the only Japanese country we get good localizations from, and that's because they go all out these days and rewrite the dialogue entirely and bring in quality actors. All of the English voice actors for Final Fantasy XII were classically trained(Including Ondore. Fun fact, that accent isn't faked, and it's not Indian. That's just a native Welsh cunt).
>>
>>160046529
The British seem to produce a lot more classically trained actors than the Americans for some reason. They should just get the Brits to dub everything.
>>
>>160044779
south asians arent middle-eastern
>american education
>>
>>160038814
>french dub
>Okay, the characters sound approximately like they should.
non
>>
>>160039779
Nobody likes anglos you dumb faggot.
>>
>>160043053
>You really want anime to sound like Xenoblade?
Yes.
>>
>>160038814
The dubs are equaly bad in every language even originals are equally shitty but you don't know this because you don't speak the fucking language. The only problem us dubs have is that they are deliberately looking for worst actors possible to do the job
>>
>>160046945
>you don't know this because you don't speak the fucking language
>projecting this much
>>
Reminder that dubs are literally for children who can't read and anyone who watches them should be treated as an illiterate child and barred from consuming and discussing any foreign media.
>>
>>160046945
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRylVSfxyw
TOMODACHI DEWANAI
>>
>>160038814
>Spanish dub is perfect

Have you ever heard the little witch academia spanish dub?
>>
>>160043228
Is Reanimedia even still alive?
>>
>>160043228
Reanimedia's songs are good, but I can't say I like the dub itself. It's alright, but nothing special.
>>
>>160047075
PAVERU HAKASE, CIA DESU
>>
>>160038814
>Okay, the characters sound approximately like they should

Fuck no they don't, except for the popular anime where they use actual movie VAs instead of Ztier amateurs.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAFcox4tvy4
Jap >>> English, German > French >>> Chinese, animax
>>
>>160045679
I find it hilarious
>>
>>160038814
Italian dubs are pretty good too.
>>
>>160047451
>OLE OLE OLE
>>
>>160045225

"Ya apurate weon Makoto nos está esperando no mames we"

Vete a la mierda.
>>
File: 8_tracks_-_jiji-9168.jpg (143KB, 694x694px) Image search: [Google]
8_tracks_-_jiji-9168.jpg
143KB, 694x694px
Phil Hartman mis-cast as Jiji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klmK-Bf9GhY
>>
>>160041015
Why does the rest of latin america hate mexico?

>>160041244
Where's this from? And no I don't really watch any movies.
>>
>>160045766
This actually sounds pretty cute to me.
>>
>>160046058
This is not true at all. At best, some musicians translate a single song as some form of homage or whatever. The rest is being left as it is
>>
>>160047075
ANO MASKU HA NAN NO TAME DA?
>>
>>160042035
>Combine that with our horrible talent pool and you get a mess.
There are plenty of talented voice actors out there, I want to say even better than Japan, however they're not voicing anime but rather cartoons. And the voice actors who voice both put literally 0 effort in their anime roles. Along with everything you stated I think it also has do with the way lines are to be said, anime characters sound really artificial in the way the characters speak half the time even in more serious shows.
>>
>>160038814
That's because people with actual acting talent are using it for western animation and live-action projects rather than anime. There's always the odd dub where the English version has just as much passion as the original sub, but they are few and far between.
>>
>>160038888
>tfw Fire Punch is getting popular in France
>>
>>160038814
all dub is trash and should be eradicated
>>
>>160042315
Because Mexico has more Spanish speakers than any other country?
>>
>>160038814
Some English dubs are better than original (BnHA, FLCL, P&SwG), so I've no idea what the hrll are you talking about.
>>
>>160045591
>Chine jie coûne
>Azouka sâne
Fucking hell man
>>
suddenly Kenshin eng dub better then original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbz7Bx2y18M
>>
>>160044779
You're never going to hear them because they ban entertainment.
>>
File: 1500465337088.jpg (40KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1500465337088.jpg
40KB, 292x257px
>>160045591
>Shenjee-kune
>>
>>160038814
>Spanish dub perfect
sure thing taco
>>
>>160038814

Eng dub would sound better if they just had the Jap voice actors do it, at least for sol/moe. If they can't speak English just give them a phonetic script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzn-heiwOPQ
>>
>>160041463
>Implying anyone gives a fuck aboot japanese dialects.

Fuck you. Kansai-ben is the best thing ever.
>>
File: 1333276548836.png (284KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1333276548836.png
284KB, 800x800px
>Perfect, would watch it instead of the Japanese if I was fluent in Spanish
>>
I like the English dub of JoJo, I know it's inferior to to the sub and that's what I like about it, the accents are so overplayed that it fits for the cheesyness of the first two parts
>>
>>160049030
Spanish from Spain not Mexico
>>
>>160039307
What this bloke said.
>>
File: 1429310320232.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1429310320232.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Unions are cancer
>>
>>160049478
>Unions are cancer
Keep working overtime to pay for your bosses sportscar you dumbass Ameritard.
>>
>>160049514
I'm yurop, dumbass
>>
>>160049514
You absolute dumbass Americans are the ones with unions.
>>
>>160043650
I'm sorry anon, Japan has that too.
>>
>>160043713
>>160042329
>>160043273

Which dubs have you watched to garner your opinions?
>>
>>160038814
>download shimoneta without realizing it's dual audio
>check some episode to see if everything it's ok
>catastrophic enligh dub begins immediately
>close the video completely horrified
>I delete the torrent while my body shakes in fear

Despite the constant nightmares I learned a valuable lesson that day
>>
>>160038814
Probably the actors simply do not care about or consider it an undignified job.
>>
File: 1457919507486.png (93KB, 221x328px) Image search: [Google]
1457919507486.png
93KB, 221x328px
>>160049934
>Shimoneta dub
You poor soul
>>
>>160049416
How different is Mexican Spanish from Spain Spanish? Is it more different than American and British English?
>>
https://youtu.be/LTXmkkvpVxM

Good spanish (Mx) dub
>>
>>160038814
French dubs are also trash son, there are very few decent french dubs.
>>160044804
TTGL's dubs were good too, it had Evangelyne's VA playing Yoko.
>>
>>160050217
Spanish (from spain) have shitty accent
>>
>>160050354
>it had Evangelyne's VA playing Yoko
Honestly most of the time it's not really a voice problem, it's a direction problem, GTO and FMA 2003 were top tier dubs because Canal + was doing it and they didn't give a shit about censoring, everything felt so much natural.
>>
>>160038814
There is something seriously wrong with Americans in general and that goes way beyond just dubbing, they are obnoxious and petty by nature, shit like muh dubs is just extension of that.
>>
>>160050495
Yeah, I often heard that the setup and time given to recording sessions played a big role as well. Since licensers try to go as cheap as possible, the dubs suffers as a result. Wich is probably why the TTGL dub was good in the first place. BEEZ would throw that sweet Bandai money at the projects and try to sell quality shit.
Too bad no one actually cares about that and they ended up dying.
>>
>>160047451
EEPA EEPA EEPA
>>
>>160038814
People not complaining about shitty dubs.

& letting the VAs modify the text.
>>
>>160048904
>FLCL
There are several jokes/quirks in FLCL that make absolutely no sense in English
>>
>>160038939
Truth be told, Americans are usually the people who watch dubs, don't think any ESL or Brit would watch dubs if they can get subs.
>>
>>160050760
>People not complaining about shitty dubs.
Actually this might be an important point, the fat cosplaying tumblrina in Automata almost ruined the whole thing with her misrepresentation of the character and shitty "acting" in general, but I heard that they even talked about the mean things 4chen said about her work and just told her to dismiss all criticism because of the whole "negativity is bad" thing.
>>
Filipino dubs are the best, no question.
>>
>>160038814
You haven't heard bad dubs until you tried Czech and Hungarian ones
>>
>>160051290
I'll give you the Daimos dub for sheer entertainment value, but most of the shit here isn't exactly good.
>>
>>160050217
>How different is Mexican Spanish from Spain Spanish?
From what I know, all Spanish speakers pronounce the s as simply an s, except the Spaniards. They instead have some kind of lisp (every s is a 'th' to them). Some people find it sexy, others find it annoying. Personally I think Latin American Spanish sounds better because of that.

If you want to make an analogy to English, it's like how Brits randomly add Rs to the end of certain words (banana/bananer, idea/idear etc.).
>>
>>160051475
The Brits drop their "R"s off the ends of sentences though. It actually sounds more like they added a H to the end of the sentence (bananah, ideah, etc) if your talking with a really exaggerated super posh accent.
>>
>>160038814
Nearly all dubs are bad, you think the french ones are ok? Chevaliers du Zodiac or Knights of the Zodiac fully replacing Saint Seiya as the tityle of the series or the Space warriors instead of Saiyans on Dragon Ball and these are not the worse examples a small example Piccolo is called "Satan petit-coeur" that translate into something like Little heart of Satan or Satan little heart

Sure that the english dubs are atrocious but the french can butcher as bad or even worse than the muricans do.
>>
>>160052027
Wait, do Americans really pronounce words like banana and idea with 'r's on the end of them? Like bananar? Idear? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA fucking burgers are you kidding me
>>
File: 1471141004947.jpg (75KB, 730x660px) Image search: [Google]
1471141004947.jpg
75KB, 730x660px
>>160052078
Best dub in history coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4
>>
>>160041572
So does american voices sound boring especially female voices
>>
>>160050923
The main issue is that the kind of people retarded enough to watch anime dubs tend to be so used to watching dubbed anime it doesn't register as "bad" to them, just "how anime sounds".
>>
Arrogance mostly

They believe that their shit is the best in the world and that animation is kiddy shit, so they feel that their way of doing things will make it automatically superior.
>>
>>160044692
Yeah no. Revys voice is much better in japanese
>>
>>160038814
You just didn't hear russian dub.
>>
>>160050533
Yes because your country is not immune to that type of thinking. You are abve and morality superior.
>>
>>160048904
>P&SwG
But show was more funnier when japanese cursed.
>>
>>160052436
Are we talking Overlords and Cuba tier dub or Reanimedia tier?
>>
>>160047711
Beter than
"Ostia tio debeis de apurarte, Makoto nos esta esperando coño[
>>
>>160039707
Probably every time I hear the female voice acting I cringe about how they try to make suck a high pitched female voice. Dont find that problem with japanese but of course people dont talk in real life like they do in anime
>>
>>160042235
this is some kung pow tier stuff, nothing wrong with that
>>
>>160052671
you know the rules, stream it
>>
>>160038814
I hope you mean Spain's Spanish. Latin American dubs are one of the most cancerous things I have heard.
>>
>>160052664
>people dont talk in real life like they do in anime
They went in that direction in Hibike.
>>
>>160038814
Because only the lowest and laziest people watch dub, so why put in the effort?
>>
>>160038814
Culture of ignorance and glorification of ignorance.

Combine that with arrogance and self-entitlement attitudes(im a female therefore stop criticizing me or you're a rapist/misogynist).
>>
The french dubs of Excel Saga are pretty great, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MonazO8l9I8
>>
>>160038814
Cowby Bebop, Michiko to Hatchin, Ghost in the Shell ect has better Dub than Sub
>>
>>160038814
That's mostly because France has a huge dubbing market. You guys don't realize this, but they don't just have anime that needs to get dubbed. Every movie in theatre is dubbed, a lot of TV shows get dubbed too. On top of that, France has been "into anime" for much longer than the US. They used to have co-productions with japanese studios too.

The voice acting talent pool is much smaller in the us, especially for anime because of union restrictions. That's why you always hear the same group of people in English dub (who also happen to be the dub directors.)
>>
>>160038814
because all the englus dub is bad, no more reasons
>>
Obsessed
>>
>>160051290
No they're fucking not
>>
America has talented voice actors, but anime dubs aren't where you're going to find them. People doing anime dubs are the losers who aren't good enough for anything else or people who are going to move on from them once they start getting better work.
>>
>>160051290
>tagulag
>best
No.
>>
File: 1436763207018.jpg (117KB, 794x719px) Image search: [Google]
1436763207018.jpg
117KB, 794x719px
>>160052343
>>160052919
Are you people actually stupid? Are you being payed?
>>
Semites and Marxists are to blame, as per usual
>>
>>160052459
Nah he's right he just reminded me about when Matt Damon went to do that great wall movie on China and during an award party (can't remember if it was the Oscars or whatever) some guy that had a feud with Matt Damon started mocking him about how he went to do some chinese movie rather than being in some american movie in that award and everyone was laughting, what's most hilarious is that many in there were anti-Trump when Trump bad mouths imigration but in that time they were being even more Trum than Trump himself just because Damon went to earn some big bucks in a bad chinese movie rather than earn them in a bad hollyhood movie.
>>
>>160039307
Imagine Goku with a british accent. No thanks.
>>
>>160052154
No, Americans pronounce Rs on the end of words that actually have Rs, like "betterrr" whereas Brits drop those Rs, like "bettah"
>>
It would be a lot better if they stopped using the same shitty 5 voice actors they do for everything. The '90s and early 2000s had some good voice acting, but only for shit Cartoon Network could throw money at.
>>
>>160053655
Stop getting butthurt. You know this to be true in your heart.
>>
File: monopoly-man.jpg (92KB, 432x381px) Image search: [Google]
monopoly-man.jpg
92KB, 432x381px
>>160049478
Is this you?
>>
>>160054158
Actually, it's more like bett'h. Bettah is more like the Brooklyn/New Jersey accent.
>>
>>160053655
paid*
>>
>>160053981
This aired in the UK, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrWPG3l3l2Y
>>
>>160040029
I was just watching the dub for Steins; Gate. As always, the men actually do a pretty good job but the women are just awful. All the good American female voice actors don't work in anime.
>>
https://youtu.be/POGjl8DM4eU
>>
>>160038814
Americans have the fundamental belief that cartoons are for children, thus

-All characters are made to sound like Hanna Barbara toons with voice actors speaking through their noses or making other fake "wacky" voices

-Anything even vaguely foreign or clever has to be dumbed down for 9-year-olds
>>
>>160050835
Brit here, only dub I can stand is the DBZ dub and it's purely for nostalgia.

All other dubs are garbage.
>>
File: 267261.jpg (30KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
267261.jpg
30KB, 225x350px
>>160048904
I wouldn't say BnHA is even close to better than the original, but it's entirely serviceable. The dub doesn't rob you of the experience, which is what a dub should aim to do.

>mfw I watch all my seasonal anime subbed but whenever I go back to see something from the past I always watch the dub first. If it's decent I'll stick with that because I have nothing to prove to anyone.
>>
>>160055469
Did you watch the movies on Toonami?
>>160055276
>>
>>160055278
>As always, the men actually do a pretty good job
I actually bought the dub because the whole series was lying around for 2€ and Okabe is absolute trash as expected, while Daru is kind of funny in the commentary of episode 1, but in the series he is also shit.
>>
>>160053981
>Goku with a British accent
SUPER SAIYAN ROSÉ GOKU BLACK!
>>
>>160038864
But that's only true of minorities and a small minority of whites; if you remove them from the equation, IQ, crime statistics, and the like are all similar to that of European countries.
>>
>>160038814
Some of us don't have English as their native tongue, so they're less likely to find English dubs atrocious.

In my case, hearing any anime that was dubbed into my native tongue makes my ears bleed.
>>
>>160055469
DBZ Kai's dub is legitimately good. Unfortunately the stricter translation leaves out some of the cheekier dialogue like
>You're going to love this, trust me
I would go so far as to say Super is way more watchable in the dub. It might be the only anime I'd say that for. There's just a lot more energy in the cast still.

I guess there's also Baccano. I always remember the subs for one part where Jacuzzi is getting intimidated by some thugs. The thugs are surprised that someone so meek is some kind of crime boss, to which Jacuzzi responds with
>We are indeed villains
In the subs and
>We're serious contenders... for out weight class
In the dub. Kind of made me appreciate the dub more.
>>
>>160055752
I'm the anon you replied to and I forgot about Baccano, in my head it kind of makes more sense to watch the dub considering that everyone should be speaking English anyhow. Also the voice acting is great as far as dubs go.
>>
>>160038814
The difference is that you understand english, but you dont understand spanish, french or japanese
>>
>>160046880
>You really want anime to sound like Xenoblade?
Thats what was my first thought when I saw the thread.
The dub in Xenoblade chronicles is real nicou
>>
File: 1393712931980.jpg (100KB, 745x631px) Image search: [Google]
1393712931980.jpg
100KB, 745x631px
>>160038814
>What is it that makes specifically Americans so bad at dubbing anime?
Your expectations are what make it bad. Anime has genuinely the worst dialog and writing of any medium on earth. There is better work in the Sonic fanfic section of DeviantArt. Anime is brimming with awkward repetition and exposition that doesn't translate well to English. So English dubbers, with their English degrees in tow, rework the script for content and take out the "if if if but but but you know but if if but but you know but if if resolve stalwart resolute but but but" which sounds like SHIT directly translated to English.

Even subbers don't subtitle this asinine practice in anime.
>>
>>160055351
>facts are beliefs
>>
>>160038814

American dubbing industry is non-existent outside of anime.
>>
Russian dub > Original japanese dub > rest
>>
>>160058226
Russian Haruhi was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCyo4geEu-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZHPmB9I8hw
>>
>>160040416
>presentation and delivery alone
That is literally what the discussion at hand is about. The voice actors have nothing to do with the script that they didn't fucking write.
Do you judge singers on their lyrics? Holy fuck, you're retarded.
>>
>>160058625
hey that's some quality shit

are russkies so obsessed with anime that they voice even the songs over?
>>
>>160058625
Colour me surprised. My experience of Russian voice acting so far was comprised of random dudes in their room voicing every single character in the same monotone voice using their laptop mic.
>>
>>160038814
Then why not watch the dubs in one of those languages?
>>
>>160059340
Because then I might as well watch the japanese audio, I don't speak spanish or french well.
>>
>>160055574

It would be nice if more people understood this type of stuff, or rather were intellectually honest enough to look at the data and reality instead of just spouting buzzwords and lies that make themselves feel more virtuous.
>>
>>160042035
>It's the shittiest language feature of all time
What about VSO, or VOS, or OSV or OVS?
They're fucking rare however. Maybe because putting Subject first has some advantages over putting object or verb first.
>>
The french dub of Hokuto no Ken is legendary-tier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9tLmTacqg

For reference, it was judged too violent to be aired as-is on French TV, back in the late 80s, so the dub team offered to modify the text through improv and ad-libs during the recording sessions. The finished product is basically an abridged series and it's amazing.
>>
File: confused asian lad.jpg (47KB, 854x539px) Image search: [Google]
confused asian lad.jpg
47KB, 854x539px
>>160056657
>this is what people who don't know Japanese actually believe
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Bw0JN_PKw
no tagalog is worse
>>
File: 1313016482733.jpg (48KB, 523x474px) Image search: [Google]
1313016482733.jpg
48KB, 523x474px
>>160060016
I have a minor in Japanese fampai. Japanese anime is overwritten, highly expositional with a focus on repetition.
>>
>>160038814
>makes specifically Americans so bad at dubbing anime?
Nothing. You are just whiney and immature.
>>
>>160060154
At least the reactions fit
>>
>>160038814
I didn't read the replies but if English is your first or only fluent language that is why it may sound so bad. You may be able to find flaws in the dubs easier. Also, French seems to be "closer" to Japanese than English in overall sound to me. Though i get what you are saying. It all depends on the company/VA's that put out the dub. Russian dubs always sounded sweet to me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6NXzLN3OHg

>>160039215
>Trying WAY too fucking hard to fit in. Sweet good god.
>>
>>160043496
They seriously need more. That show was absolutely gold.
>>
>>160060298
People that DON'T speak English as their first language are even more likely to find English dubs bad. Most dubfags tend to be people so in love with the sound of their own language they hate everything else.
>>
>>160060298
The tone is off though. For example, in the US dub of NGE Asuka sounds like a 40-something year old and Misato like a 20-something year old.
>>
>>160040578
Touyama Nao has used best girl accent in many shows. Prime example right here, Nisekoi, OreGairu. Well you get the idea.
>>
Found this one somewhere
>Thrall says in the Legion Pre-patch that the elements no longer respond to him the same way anymore. Clearly the elements are pissed at thrall too for killing Garrosh against the orc rules too.
>>
>>160041630
>>160041630
Start fan dubbing some shit, sell yourself hard on youtube with vlog videos and raffel prizes. If you get enough followers and shit i'm sure somebody will hire you. Companies associate a ton of internet popularity with actual talent.
>>
>>160038814
English dubs omit a lot of things and take "creative liberties" on scripts, sometimes because certain meanings get lost in translation / near impossible to properly dub or translate, or some things would not be understood by the intended audience due to cultural differences. Some of these things can't be helped though.

But the worst thing I notice about English dubs is that the tone of some characters are completely off compared to the original, like they didn't even try to get the proper sounding VA to do it.

Example -
>character originally sounds like they should be in middle school
>they get someone to do a voice that sounds like they're in their 30s

Every fucking time.
>>
>>160042315
A lot of Americans are so fucking stupid some of them don't even know who their own president is. Look this shit up, it's true.
>>
I'd say young boys in English dub is horrible. Off the top of my head, I can only say Durarara!! is an anime where the boys didn't sound weird.

Have any of you heard Vietnamese dub? I remember watching Sailor Moon in Vietnamese dub. It sounded fine for most part, but when it came to transformations, or attacks it was horrible.
>>
>>160038814
Many of the people doing anime dubs nowadays were recruited from anime convention voice acting contents and amateur voice acting websites, with the goal of specifically getting into voice acting.

Most people who wind up being successful in the VA business outside of dubs typically have a more well-rounded acting resume and more professional grounds for training. On rare occasions, they might also be musicians first (see: Troy Baker).
>>
>>160060298
You don't really need to be fluent in some language to tell a bad acting just like you don't need to understand some lyrics to know a good singer.
>>
File: 1500411069673.jpg (120KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
1500411069673.jpg
120KB, 716x768px
>>160059964
>Le savoir au coteau à huitres
>La technique planche à pain
>The dialogue at the end

Too bad, most people here won't understand this gem
>>
>>160045766
>panzer in name
>the one show you would think Germans would have really killed it with the dub
>>
>>160038814
Non-meme answer: The people doing the voice acting in anime dubs are bottom of the barrel talent, they're the ones who failed voicing children cartoons or amateurs doing their first gig. Now if the Hollywood talent were the ones making the dub (actual actors or distinguished VAs like in the Disney/Pixar stuff), we'd be having a different conversation.
>>
>>160048904
P&SwG was much better in Japanese, but i watched the dub for kicks and it was alright. I enjoyed it with some beers when i didn't feel like focusing on subs.

>>160050762
I have never watched FLCL subbed but i can give up a few jokes for that quality of dubbing. I mean everyone sounded pretty fantastic. Made the show feel way different than watching it with the Japanese audio i would bet. But i like that change.

Top dubs - SamCham, Bebop, FLCL, Outlaw Star, Space Dandy, BLACK LAGOON sick ass dub and a lot of well known feature length films were also dubbed very nicely (think Princess Mononoke). You are always sacrificing some translation to an extent, but those shows i mentioned are worth the sacrifice.
>>
>>160051290
This couldn't be more false
>>
>>160045766
Eh, it's okay.
>>
File: USsalesvsFrance.png (309KB, 1144x349px) Image search: [Google]
USsalesvsFrance.png
309KB, 1144x349px
Why manga sales are so low in the US and even on the decline?
>>
>>160062078
Because reading is for nerds.
>>
>>160062078
because if people want picture books they go for american shit faggot.

american 3.99 vs nip 9.99
>>
>>160062078
>Why buy a manga if you can read it on the internetz for free?
>>
>>160060657

I am a dubfag but there's a serious problem with over-reliance on certain voice actors in some anime. Vic Mignogna's ubiquitous presence in Naruto is laughable. Especially the Obito/Nagato thing, which came very close to Vic talking to himself in extremely similar voices. Not to mention he's like 1/6 of all random ninja. Don't give a guy with a unique voice and modest range that much work.
>>
>>160062078
>14 million manga sold per year

France is really a weeb country
>>
>>160038814
Underpaid VAs plain and simple.

If everyone was paid as much as Tara Strong the VA would be fine. Then again those profit margins would also plummet and us dubbies eat that shit up anyway so who cares in the end?
>>
>>160062991
>dub
>Naruto
Go back
>>
>>160061257
>>160059964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4
>>
>>160039307
Please go back to /v/ you stupid britcuck
>>
>>160052549
Esto
>>
>>160063026
Nip otaku also listen to their samey voice actors as well.
In the end, it's just garbage on both sides.
>>
File: tumblr_m1mfj6gCO81qjj1zvo1_500.gif (326KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1mfj6gCO81qjj1zvo1_500.gif
326KB, 500x269px
Don't mind me, just stopping through
>>
>>160038814
because the only good thing mericans do is killing niggers all around the world, nowadays arab niggers
>>
>>160049934
>>160050028
Shimoneta is better dubbed. Most of the humor comes from the shock value of hearing the characters give graphic sexual descriptions which is completely lost if you don't understand the language. Reading the dialogue isn't as impactful.
>>
>>160054197
>the same shitty 5 voice actors they do for everything

I love how people are still saying this 10 years after it stopped being even remotely applicable.
>>
>>160065101
>actually watching dubs
>>
>>160063083
>watching Naruto in any language
>>
>>160038814
To answer for English dubs; I don't know about other language dubs so I won't comment on that.

A big portion of why anime English dubs being so bad it's considered a low tier job. It's a job meant for people starting out and possible of little talent. Meanwhile Japan is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

A lot of anime English lines are also recorded separately from other people. Can you imagine trying to do a conversation but nobody is there to actually talk to you? That's what happens with a lot of dubs which rob a lot of emotion out of it.
>>
>>160065399
That's what I said, yes.
>>
File: 1475719010891.jpg (16KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
1475719010891.jpg
16KB, 283x283px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHHFB8ObIE
>>
>>160055574
>But that's only true of minorities and a small minority of whites

Go Fuck Yourself
>>>/pol/
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.