[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/x/ Comics General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: The Filth.gif (423KB, 950x739px) Image search: [Google]
The Filth.gif
423KB, 950x739px
Let's talk /x/phile comics. I've seen quite a few references to some of the better paranormal comics around here lately and, being a fan, think it deserves it's own thread.

Guess I'll kick it off with a question about Mike Mignola's Hellboy. In a now archived thread, someone was talking about how they stumbled upon this ancient religion that's either been covered up or almost entirely forgotten. They claimed that there were seven gods total, among a lot of other things. What piqued my interest was that they mentioned something along the lines of:
>Seven gods. Seven demons. Seven to heaven and seven to earth
I'm paraphrasing but it reminded me of one of the lines in the series opener:
>Seven gods of might and seven demons of oppression. Seven in heaven and seven on earth

Mike Mignola is well known for keeping his scripts honest to the legends and tales he borrows material from and being keen on literary research. I guess my question is this; does anybody know more about this supposed religion? And do you think it's actually something that can be studied or was anon just a Hellboy fan taking things a little further than they had to go(kinda like what people often do with Lovecraft)?

Posting some things I'm currently reading/have read in the post below
>>
File: Sky Doll L01 38.jpg (577KB, 1280x1993px) Image search: [Google]
Sky Doll L01 38.jpg
577KB, 1280x1993px
>>19138728
Currently reading

>The Filth: up to 04

>Berserk: End of Golden age arc + various random chapters posted on /b/

>Skydoll: up to the end of volume 3

Favorites I've finished in no particular order

>Sandman

>The Doom that came to Gotham

>Irredeemable

>Nameless

>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

>Cthulhu Tales

Very much open to suggestions for both paranormal relevant and not-so-relevant material.
>>
>>19138728
The religion you are talking about are the elder beings, it's a distorted re-imagining of the Lovercraftian elders, there was an anon that compiled it chronologically for /co/ once.
>>
File: Delerium-------Dream.png (639KB, 1290x402px) Image search: [Google]
Delerium-------Dream.png
639KB, 1290x402px
>>19138775
Ahh. A little disappointed that mystery was resolved so quickly.

You got a link to the thread you could drop?
>>
File: elmirador.jpg (75KB, 595x425px) Image search: [Google]
elmirador.jpg
75KB, 595x425px
>>19138799
https://4archive.org/board/co/1825
>>
>>19138728
I'm reading The Invisibles now, apparently Grant Morrison had the idea for it after he was in Kathmandu and was 'abducted by aliens'
>>
>>19139232
I have the series sitting in a box in my closet rn. Not getting into it until I finish up with The Filth, but I'm pretty excited about it. Grant's work is for sure up there with the greats.

You got details on this abduction story?

>>19138960
Appreciate it, anon.
>>
Anything by Morrison has to do with the occult. He's a massive supporter of Hypercrisis. Apart from that, there are the usuals like Ellis and Moore. More sci-fi/comic book-y but an equally good writer is Hickman. Then you can start going into anthologies and old books and whatnot. I'm also a fan of the old Phantom Stranger & Question books. Anything by Vertigo is also a must.
>>
>>19140027
The bit about Morrison is absolutely true. I want to say the same about Gaiman, but from what I've seen, he's only ever hinted at his beliefs on magic(which are pretty friggin interesting for a lot of reasons).

The op in this sigil thread >>19130518 posted a link to a piece Morrison did on his beliefs in magic. Pretty entertaining and informative read.
http://disinfo.com/2014/10/pop-magic-grant-morrison/

Also, Ellis who? What've they worked on? Vertigo is full of solid reads. I've been really enjoying reading through BOOM!'s catalog as well.
>>
>>19140077
Warren Ellis. Dunno about any magic stuff, but he's a very solid writer, and most of his stuff are about occult/conspiracies.
>>
Where do you read this stuff? I can't afford 80 bucks for a comic
>>
Sandman is a great read, at least in my opinion. I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of horror or comics in general.
>>
>>19140830
Well, first off you can download them. I have ~600GB worth of pirated books. Go to WorldWideTorrents, or PirateBay. Apart from that, there are sites where you can read them directly, like ReadComicsOnline.
>>
>>19140935
i read the entire run of Sandman and barely remember any of it
well written and interesting, but none of it really sticks
>>
>>19138772
>>19139232
>>19140007
Came in here to mention Nameless and The Invisibles

His abduction story is in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-cxBuRU09w
>>
>>19141174
Yeah I'd agree with that
>>
>>19140077

Warren Ellis has done a bunch of fun stuff but Doktor Sleepless is very nearly "/x/ the comic". Tulpas, eldritch horrors, transhumanism. also there's enough confusion about conspiracies and hallucinations that it's almost impossible to figure out what's really going on and what's just insane bullshit. good times.
>>
>>19141174
Just started reading through it again. I's extremely well written. Gaiman totally carried over a lot of his ideas on how gods come to be in American Gods and I'm really dang glad the show is at least 3/4's as good as the book. Kinda going in a different direction in some ways, but it doesn't feel like they're fucking with the structure of the story in any way that's gonna ruin the finale/big reveal.

Way glad they decided to show Mr. World early on. I never thought I'd feel legitimately scared because of Crispin Glover, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Got off topic in that tangent, hahah. My bad.

The way Gaiman refers to gods as essentially cultural tulpas has always intrigued me. Like, how it takes the combination of a genuine "god"(Dream, the endless) AND the imagination and wants of humans is really cool. Always wondered what the deal with YHWY was in that canon. I mean, Lucifer plays a pretty big role in the later series, so that implies that he was cast out by something. It wasn't Dream himself, though the implication kinda seems to be that Lucifer and demons are on offspring of Dream+humans like most other magical beings. But at the same time, it could be that the endless were made by YHWY and are their own faction altogether. Same goes for the fae.

This is already tldr, I know. But, the way they depicted the fairy court in that little ode to Midsummer Night's Dream was fucking superb. I liked the reality bending vibe of Puck getting loose into the "real" world. Rad stuff.
>>
>>19141177
Thanks dude. Checking this out later tonight.

nameless id a classic and should be essential reading for anyone into lovecraft/paranormal/psyche horror.
>>
>>19141228
I think this comic is my new fetish. Definitely checking out Doktor Sleepless when I have the funds for it. Thanks, anon
>>
File: 1472959880808.jpg (291KB, 1115x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472959880808.jpg
291KB, 1115x800px
>>19141174
I know you said you don't remember much, but I kinda want to talk about some of the implications of the series.

So, in the dreaming there's that desert where different time periods and different parts of Earth meet and intermingle. I only remember this vaguely, but I think it's supposed to all be tied to the Silk Road, which used to be a traders hub for nearly the entire known world.

Dream's son, Morhpeus, parallels his real world equivalent in quite a few uncanny ways. That got me wondering. What if, because of the way the Silk Road works in this canon and how it ties itself to an endless(lol) number of times and places both in and out of the dreaming, it's possible that the stories of ancient gods were actually taught to the ancients by people from our future. I think the implication is supposed to be that Morpheus IS one and the same with the greek deity. it's jsut that his story was brought back by one of the monks/families that ended up tending to him in the 90's/modern world. If anyone would have a tie to the Dreaming, it'd be those living in close quarters with Dream's own son.

So in this canon there is Morhpeus, who is half endless and half human and there is the Morpheus born because of the stories about the original. The greek god Morpheus only exists because it's "grandfather" allowed there to be a place where the future and past can mix and share. That Gaiman had the forethought to plot this among every other thing in that series, is pretty fucking awesome. Characters and stories can only ever e as intelligent as the people writing them, and Gaiman is, in his own way, a complete genius.
>>
File: Morpheus.png (108KB, 438x254px) Image search: [Google]
Morpheus.png
108KB, 438x254px
>>19138772
>Sandman
Oh fuck, yes. Does anyone else get the feeling that Neil Gaiman's fiction is heavily based in reality?
>>
>>19142655
does that mean I can bang the hot version of Other Mom from Coraline?
>>
>>19142655
fuq. Forgot that Dream was Morpheus and his son Orpheus. I guess, what I said still stands, jsut in a slightly different light.

And yeah, dude. I'm pretty sure Gaiman uses magic in making his work much like Grant Morrison and Open Mike Eagle(musician, but he still practices through his art) do. Maybe not literally true, but Destiny, Death, Destruction, Dream, Desire, Despair, Delight and Delirium are all pretty much the driving forces of humanity. He just gave faces to the very real archetypes that pull the strings, behind the scenes, imo.

What about it do you think is borrowed from reality?
>>
>>19142528
If you've read the most recent sandman book overture you should know that the endless have 'parents' (whatever that means) and they are [spoiler]Time and Darkness/Nothingness?[/spoiler]. It's weird as hell and I'm not sure what it's implications are other than fuelling some amazing fucking art (seriously read this if you haven't). 'God' exists in the sandman universe (remember the angels?) but he just seems to be a manifestation of the Christian god in parallel to the Christian Satan.
>>
>>19142700
woah. wtf are you talking about? Wish thtat spoiler worked btw lol

Link me to some info, m8? Deeply interested party here
>>
>>19142700
And yeah, I remember the angels. But I thought they might be a rogue product of Dream like so many of the other paranormal and religious phenomenon.

My assumption was that Dream provided the catalyst to make new life and while he normally would just go and make what he wanted, he could also just let it sit in the human realm and allow us to give form to new things, albeit mostly unintentionally. The angels/demons in this scenario were made directly because of dream, but because of the itnet of millions, even billions of humans, it kinda got larger than Dream could contain and eventually became it's own dynasty separate from the endless.

If there're new materials implying something else, I definitely want to get a crack at em, though.
>>
>>19142682
>What about it do you think is borrowed from reality?

Well, as >>19142613 pointed out, the concept of gods being cultural tulpas actually has some real merit to it. It's been conjectured by many cultures that a gods power is directly tied to the beliefs of their followers and the fewer that acknowledge the god the more they fade until they are simply forgotten beings of times past.

The Dream landscape from Sandman is pretty damn spot-on from my experiences in wandering the lands. I've heard rumors that the realm of Dream truly is connected directly to Hell as well.

Not to mention his depiction of Lucifer through Sandman and the Lucifer comics is fucking spot-on to my knowledge. He's simply a being that has no interest in punishing humans as the only reason we are punished in Hell is because we demand some punishment for our 'transgressions'. Lucifer isn't some foil to God, he's simply a being that went against the natural order and strives to reach full freedom from God.
>>
>>19142708
>>19142731
Sorry for spoiling you (not sure why the tag didn't work) but check out Sandman: Overture. The last issue of it came out in 2015 and it's fucking brilliant. Ties up some loose ends and explains why Dream was ever able to be captured to start with.
>>
>>19138772
That chick in front has like, the perfect body. I wanna just grab her waist and... idk maybe rest my head on her little tits. It's been a while since I've had sex.
>>
>>19142748
Holy shit. And here I thought I ended in the 90's. Sincere thanks, anon. This is probably my favorite series and I've been dying to get something new in this canon for about 15 years now. It's all good about the spoilers and thanks again, dude.

>>19142737
I can agree with this, though I don't really believe in astral projection/any religion as a whole. Not bunking it. I know what I know is real because I've experienced it. What's real for others isn't up to me, though.

And speaking of his description of Lucifer, he actually asked David Bpowie if he could base the character's image on him, and Ziggy agreed to it. Just a random fact that kinda makes me happy.

Other than that, yeah. I love his depiction of Lucifer. Not malevolent, just kinda wants to do his own thing. Refuses to bow jsut because he's told he should. I like to believe that hell was actually a gift to him and it only became such an ugly place because a lot of the people that feel they walked the path of Lucifer often have negative associations with the idea and feel they should be punished on some level. They were gifted, like Lusicfer, the chance to believe wat they want and have aplace for that, ,but because they didn't totally grasp the potential they were given, squandered it on their own petty fears. Of course ol' lucy would get tired of a place that constantly reminded him of all the negative thing humans associate with his name. Any thinking being would at some point.

Lucifer chose not to rival god, but to move away from and god gave him the farthest possible place away from itself to let him do it. This is my take on the irl religion as well as kinda what I feel about the series. Thanks for sharing, man.
>>
>>19142801
Right? That's kinda the point too. You should check out Skydoll. It's a really badass french/italian comic about capitalism, sexuality, and religion and where they all overlap. It's ongoing, unless they chose to end it on the 4th book. Haven't read it yet, so idk for sure, but it's a great read.
>>
>>19142808
I'll check it out for more perky tits. Thanks, familia.
>>
File: both covers of Good Omens.jpg (65KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
both covers of Good Omens.jpg
65KB, 500x404px
>>19142803
Oh, another really curious take on demons and angels is the novel Good Omens. Gaiman wrote it with Sir Terry Pratchett and it explores a rather humorous take on the apocalypse and the demon that wants to stop it because he really likes hanging out on Earth over working in Hell.

That same demon is also best friends with an angel and it's a really interesting take as the two are on opposite sides of the whole good/evil dichotomy yet find some common ground they can bond over.
>>
>>19142950
My gf has actually been trying to get me to read this for half a year a now. just been caught up in all the other things I'm reading/working on.

Didn't realize Terry was a knight, meng. Interesting. Makes sense too. The guy's work is seriously quality material. I'm gonna try and refrain from straying from the topic of comics now, but anyone into /lit/ and /x/ should definitely give his Discworld series a go.
>>
File: Hellblazer.jpg (42KB, 330x412px) Image search: [Google]
Hellblazer.jpg
42KB, 330x412px
>>19138728
Seven is an important number. Could be fiction all the same, a take on Lovecraftian horror, not sure. I need to get back to it all.

Been reading Swamp Thing though, purely to get myself into Hellblazer. It was great up until they introduced that stupid Sprout storyline. Any time your protagonists are having a baby, you've officially run out of ideas. It's a goddamn shame.

At least Hellblazer's been good now that I've started. Looking forward to more, and finally getting into Sandman. But fucking hell, if Swamp Thing doesn't start getting interesting again, I may have to drop it. Not enough gothic horror anymore.
>>
>>19143207
I've heard the name Hellblazer but never anything more.

If you don't mind sharing the basic premise and what you like about it, I'd enjoy giving your thoughts a read, m8.
>>
>>19140007
Nah. No details on the abduction story, just something mentioned when reading the wiki for The Invisibles
>>
>>19143207
I just automatically skipped to Hellblazer, I never finished it. I've read some of Constantine too, the New52 run, it doesn't compare.
>>
>>19144138

New 52 Constantine is a ponce. DC shot itself in the foot by toning down Vertigo and trying to fold it into the main franchises.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.