[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird animal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

Jesus Christ /x/

I'm out walking my dog and he suddenly started pulling me like he does when he catches the scent of another animal (he's a beagle/Vizsla mix so he can't really help it, it's his nature to hunt) and we reach the street. I can see what looks to be a pretty big cat or raccoon or something about 30 yards up the sidewalk... But then it moved. It hobbled/hopped like a rabbit with the rear legs looking very much like a rabbit, but it had a really long tail. It didn't lift the tail like a cat would and it sort of dragged behind it almost like a rat. My dog was going nuts at this point and practically dragged me after the thing. I reached to my belt for my phone to snap a picture and to have a flashlight to get a better look at the thing, but I had left it inside charging. So I reach for my knife - better safe than sorry - and I had left it behind as well. Meanwhile this animal heard us coming and starts to cross the street faster and it hopped faster and darted across the street. Right as I reached the spot where it had been, I realize that I have a small clip on LED light on the bill of my ballcap so I reach up and turn it on just in time to catch a glimpse of this thing darting into a sewer drain. On my street there's a few of them, where it's basically a big hole cut in the road next to the side walk on either side of the street with a metal grate. Think Stephen King's "It".

I can hear a sort of growling-mew, similar to the sound a cat makes before attacking another animal to try warding off the other animal. My dog is going fucking nuts at this point and I can actually hear the sound getting louder as i realize this thing is crossing under the street via the sewer to get to my side again.

Dragging my dog back toward home, I can hear this fucking thing following us because each drain that I pass I can hear the almost-doppler effect of its growl getting closer (then passing under) the drain until I'm at the parking lot for my building (cont)
>>
>>19111528
Cats have rabbit-like legs. Sounds like you saw a cat, probably with rabies or feral given it followed you. Cats living in the wild aren't all going to look and act like the well groomed and domesticated Fluffy.
>>
>>19111528
(Cont)
I pick my 60lbs dog up who is now growling at the drain like there's an imminent threat and head to my building, but I can hear this thing growling right back from behind me. I realize I'm too far from the drain to hear that... So this fucking thing is following me above ground now, but my dog is squirming so much in my arms that I can't even look back over my shoulder. I reach my building and fumble with the keypad to get through the front door with my dog under one arm struggling to get free... But this is America... I'm not letting this thing give my dog rabies or something. Fuck that. I finally get the door open and turn around once I'm inside, but I don't see the animal anywhere. My dog is still going crazy, baying and growling so I run down the stairs to my condo to get him inside so he doesn't wake all my neighbors. As soon as we enter the condo, he runs straight for the patio door and starts barking like there's something out there. I turn on my porch flood lights just in time to see the rabbit-like hind legs and spindly little rat tail disappear into the trees behind my condo.

Now my dog won't leave the back door, but I haven't seen the animal come back. I keep catching glimpses of gleaming blue and green of light reflecting from eyes of animals in the woods, but I see that every night.

Anyway... What the fuck was that thing? It was like a giant rat mixed with a cat and rabbit!
>>
>>19111545
No... This was not a feral cat or a stray. I live in the most city-fied part of a very rural area. I know a cat when I see one. This thing was not a cat, and cat legs are not the same as rabbit legs. Their joints are different. I've skinned enough rabbits in my time to know the difference.
>>
It was an opossum.
/thread
>>
>>19111528
Sounds like a kangaroo honestly.
>>
>>19111613
>>19111636
Both viable options.
>>
>>19111528
It would help if you told us what vicinity in America you fucking live in.
>>
>>19111528
>>>/an/
>>
>>19111528
Sounds like a nutria, are you in the south?
>>
>>19111613
Nope. Definitely wasn't. Not with those legs. I used to have two pet opossum.
>>
>>19112154
I'm in Maryland, the northernmost southern state. The northern state line is the Mason-Dixon, but I'm very near this spot where Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia all touch so it's a little more "southern" than the rest of my state.

Living in the mountains, we often poke fun at people that aren't used to rural folk, with stories of the "mountain Hoosier" ("watch out going into the woods, mountain Hoosiers are out tonight and they get real aggressive in the spring. It's their mating season"), and the purple tree snipe, because out here you get to see a lot more wildlife than most people ever get to see, so with all the rustling and growls and howls and gleaming of eyes when you point your flashlight at a noise...

But I didn't expect to ever actually SEE something I've never seen before. The way it moved, the way it looked... It was no cat, dog, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, or anything else I've seen before.
>>
>>19112196
I looked and the range is almost the entire US, it sounds like a nutria to me...especially the gait and being in a sewer. I found a small batfish once as a kid, nobody believed me and I only identified it definitively about as year ago..it was disconcerting because no one believed me and it was a creepy looking animal. Look up pictures of nutrias anon, might give you peace of mind
>>
>>19112196
I love that your joke monster is also just the name for people from indiana
>>
>>19112196
>Maryland
>Southern State

yeah, keep dreaming
>>
>>19113874
A nutria is more likely to be confused with a beaver, and doesn't have a long ratlike tail tho
>>
>>19116948
Well, I wouldn't call the tail ratlike at least.
>>
>>19116948
they do sometimes have scabby ratlike tails, it was probably a nutria
>>
>>19116881

Yeah, cos people WANT to be one of the southern states.
>keep dreaming
>>
>>19112196
>>19116948
It was either a nutira, muskrat or otter. From the size you describe I'd say otter
>>
>>19111528
Raccoons at my university travel across campus through the drains
Shit is absolutely amazing and blew my mind when I saw it for the first time
I was with my buddies telling them I didn't get a pic and my one friend pulled out his phone and showed a picture he took when he was high and it blew his mind even more so
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.