[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cryptids in the Chesapeake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_3210.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3210.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Some Backstory /x/. First off, I've never believed in cryptids existing. I'm trained as a biologist and I like to explain things that way. That being said, I found a skull washed up on the beach where I work on the Chesapeake Bay, that looks unlike any skull I've ever studied. I'm familiar with all of the fish and reptiles of the chesapeake, as well as birds and mammals, but I have no idea what the fuck this is. What do you think /x/? pic related
>>
File: knowitall.jpg (63KB, 453x600px) Image search: [Google]
knowitall.jpg
63KB, 453x600px
>>18275080
>I'm trained as a biologist

/x/ is his first choice as source of info for identifying a specimen
>>
>>18275104
No, I contacted several other biologists first. They were confused too
>>
looks like a kawaii dinosaur
>>
File: IMG_3211.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3211.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>18275112
It has several other ridges on its head head besides that one
>>
>>18275133
take it to a local university and have them look at it?
>>
>>18275080
Desiccated angler fish looks like. The big hinged jaw with the teeth maybe.
>>
>>18275142
Definitely not that. Not only would it be hundreds if not thousands of miles from its habitat, the skull doesnt even look like that
>>
>>18275080
Ask /sci/, also study it and write a scientific journal on your findings. This might be a bid discovery.

Make sure to give credit to 4chan, so that we know its you
>>
>>18275140
Shown to three of my former college professors and the curator of a local museum dedicated to marine life
>>
File: Frilled-Lizard.jpg (55KB, 450x398px) Image search: [Google]
Frilled-Lizard.jpg
55KB, 450x398px
You've discovered a roleplaicus lizarduass.

http://www.australiananimallearningzone.com/frilled-lizard-chlamydosaurus-kingii.htm
>>
>>18275153
I once found a pelican flopping around on the road. No idea how it got there. It was in the papers.
>>
>>18275158
>>18275160
yes, if this turns out to be true PLS name it the kawaiisaurus or kawaii fishu or something
>>
>>18275133
The size confuses me.

Too big to be a reptile if it's only the head, if it's the whole specimen it be a lot weirder.

Get some x-rays on it.

>>18275142
Doesn't seem to be, but it could be another weird fish. Maybe a Gulper eel.

>>18275140
This would be the most sensitive solution, if it's real.
>>
>>18275173
The animal, best as I can estimate would be around the size of a coyote. There was more spine with the skull when I found it, and the size of the skull is similar to that size of animal.
The only reptiles who can grow to that size in my area are sea turtles, however sea turtles have very identifiable skulls. It can't be a bird, there is no beak, plus the orbis is wrong. Mammals also dont have skulls like that
>>
>>18275185
You need to document this senpai
>>
>>18275270
I found one other picture of a similar skull online, and the person who found it thought it was a sea robin skull, which I looked into, no way possible
>>
>>18275280
Document it.
>>
Not implying anything but this looks like a fucking dragon spawn.
>>
File: 1343881396478.jpg (46KB, 520x464px) Image search: [Google]
1343881396478.jpg
46KB, 520x464px
Asks in /x/ and not >>>/an/
>>
>>18275315
Exactly. Which is why I posted in /x/
>>
I know this isnt helpful OP, but in the spirit of 4chins, you should see if your cock fits through its jaws, to know if this specimen is deepthroatable. also post pix kthnkx
>>
>>18276614
THIS
>>
>>18276633
Dubs confirm. Also did you find a whole body with this or just the piece of spine?
>>
You should definitely cross post this to /an. If it is a known species of marine life or reptile, someone might be able to identify it. If not, they might be able to help narrow down what family it belongs to.

Could you lay it out on a light colored surface and get some closer up, better lit pics? Try to get it from all sides.
>>
>>18276614
don't listen to this fag
>>
>>18276904
but dubs command it:
>>18276633
>>
>>18275080
May I ask which side of the Chesapeake you were working on when you found this skull?

The Potomac watershed proximal to D.C. rarely has some benthic fauna washed up ashore. The Annapolis area has some deep tides with carnivore remnants, from fossils or the Atlantic.
The Baltimore area has some invasive species, but less of an oceanic ecosystem.

Have you taken any allometric measurements of the skull?
>>
>>18275080
MD fag here, where on the Chesapeake?

also timestamp and take a better pic with light
>>
>Biologist
>Can't take a well-lit picture with a ruler to the side like any self-respecting, science minded "-gist" would.

/x/
>>
>>18277050
I do not think that the biologist anon wants his observations plagiarized.

But, we would all appreciate better lighting in the image.
>>
>>18277086
#Watermark
>>
>>18277127
I do not know what you mean.
>>
You know how pro pics always have those semi-transparent logos/symbols/names in one of the corners? One of those.
>>
>>18277209
The picture would not be subject to plagiarism, but the data would be.
>>
...so basically it would be wrong to post "good" proof of whatever, even though he's already done so? That's silly.
>>
>>18277224
Do you know how phenotypes are assessed in biology?
>>
>>18277226
Oh yea, shit, I forgot that DNA analysis is done through pictures now.
>>
>>18277232
You write like you do not understand the difference between genotyping and phenotyping.

Are you prospecting for OP's laboratory data?
>>
>>18277237
Yes. You've foiled my evil scheme.

Asking for good pictures of whatever OP has is heinous.
>>
>>18277240
I contravene you about the exact scale, because that work belongs to OP.

If you want better lighting, then you could have left it at that.
>>
>>18277242
What's wrong about having a point of reference? If OP was worried about his "research", he wouldn't have put it on /x/ lol.

Then again, I forgot we're a haven for black ops biology projects here on /x/..............
>>
>>18277248
Why does anyone need a quantitative, rather than qualitative, estimate of size?

Sure sounds like you are prospecting.
>>
>>18277265
Okay, he can use 3 broken pencils, a paperclip and a piece of bread.

Stop projecting OP ;)
>>
>>18275080
Real biologists know the truth.

Onviously you are not important enough.

You keep pretending things don't exist and stop looking into things.
>>
>>18275153
You are quite retarded for a so-called biologist.

You should know it's not impossible for creatures non-native to an area to be found there.
>>
>>18277187
He could use a watermark to prevent theft.
>>
>>18277388
Fuck watermarks. I destroy watermarks.
>>
>>18277440
Woo, round of applause
>>
>>18275170
>kawaiisaurus

fuck yeah!
>>
This is very obviously a fish skull. Preparing proof now and will post when I'm done
>>
>>18275080
Topics covered:
Davlov pass incident
Criptids
411 national park child abduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHMsvk-aNU&t=119s
>>
I've lived in Maryland literally my whole life, everyone knows the Chesapeake is a toxic radioactive cesspool. I doubt it's a cryptid (assuming op isn't just a troll), if anything it's probably just a mutated fish that survived long enough to grow a skull that big.
the Chesapeake is one of the most disgusting and polluted water mass, I don't want to know the kind of shit that's born in there
>>
File: fishskulls.jpg (573KB, 2000x1052px) Image search: [Google]
fishskulls.jpg
573KB, 2000x1052px
>>18280016
I'm an ecologist and immediately recognised the skull as that of a fish. The three 'teeth' are vertebrae spines and the growth on top of the head is just part of the cranium.

I googled 'common fish of Chesapeake Bay' as I was unfamiliar with the area. As I scrolled through the lists of fish that were given for the area, the first one I noticed that might fit the bill was cobia. However, this did not have the growth on top of the head. I continued my search and found that at least two species of drum occur in Chesapeake Bay. A quick search found that the skull from a white drum is almost identical to OP's image. I have also included a picture of a halibut skull to display the attachment of vertebrae.

From this I think it's safe to say that OP's skull is definitely from a fish and almost certainly from a species of drum (possibly the white drum). I also highly doubt that OP is a biologist. If he is, he was clearly having a bit of fun with this thread, or the quality of biologists over there in America is truly lacking.
>>
>>18280071
Curious to know where you are from.
>>
>>18280106
I'm from Queensland, Australia.
>>
>>18280108
You can't be serious.

FNQ?
>>
>>18280139
What makes you say that?
No, SEQ.
>>
>>18280143
Because I'm from Queensland.

Do you know how I could become a marine biologist if I've never finished school?
>>
>>18280146
Like I know it's nonexistant, but it's nice to pretend there is hope.
>>
>>18280146
>>18280154
It varies depending on the university you go to. Some will require that you complete your high school cert at TAFE, some will only need you to take an academic aptitude test and some will require both of those things.

It's not nonexistent mate, there are plenty of mature age students within the tertiary education system these days. If you give your university of choice a call I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Marine Biology itself isn't a particularly 'hard' degree, but if you want to be competitive in the job market you will need to do well in it. I'm not sure where in FNQ you are but JCU is pretty widely regarded as *the* university for marine biology in this part of the world and would be a great option.
>>
>>18280156
Townsville.

Thank you.
I'll look into it.
>>
>>18280159
No worries mate. I get asked about this sort of thing a lot and the most important bit of advice I can give you is that you'll get out of it what you put into it. If you just go through the motions and don't put much effort in, then don't expect to come out of it with a fantastic job (or any job at all).

Getting a degree is certainly rewarding and if you decide to go down this route then I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>18280167
Any biology career is what I'm looking for.

So I'll put as much as I can and more into it.

Would there be a certain sexism against females in that degree?
>>
>>18280169
Definitely not! When I did my undergrad work I'd say about 60-70% of the classes were female and my postgrad colleagues were 85% female.

If you're looking to come out of it with any sort of animal husbandry job (zoos, SeaWorld, Aquariums, wildlife rehabilitation, etc) then, as a female, you've got a much higher chance of getting it as well.
>>
>>18280071
Bumping for OP to reply to this post
>>
>>18280071
Confirmed new species of fish, OP must name it kawaiisaurus.
>>
File: 1477589391314.png (3MB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1477589391314.png
3MB, 1224x1632px
>>
>>18280169
Another bio anon here, did my degree in microbiology. American so not sure if everything will apply but I can provide general advice.

I would be certain you really enjoy research if you get into this field, and develop an understanding of how academia works. I didn't like it that much so I went to med school after doing research for a while. Field work would be a whole different beast I'm sure.

Most bio programs are going to require work in basic mathematics (through calculus), chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and statistics, so try to develop good study habits you can adapt to a variety of disciplines early on.

Khan academy is really good these days. You can get a feel for what you like pretty easily with free resources on the web.
>>
>>18281212
7/10 good effort
>>
>>18280999
Did you even read that post?
>>
>>18282081
Yes.
It has attributes of some of the fish of the Chesapeake, yet has differences between them. So it must be a new species of the same genus.
>>
>>18282116
It is almost undoubtedly a white drum. The discrepancies between them are due to size differences (and thus differences in skull structure) and degradation of the skull. I can guarantee you that it is not a yet-to-be described species.
>>
>>18282192
Okay. Thank you for explaining that.

I was just hoping OP discovered a new species so that 4chan could forever be remembered and accredited to the naming of the kawaiisaurus.

>You have to admit, that would be an awesome name.
>>
>people on /x/ are actually smart
who'd have thought it
>>
>>18283551
if I understand its history correctly. /x/ started out as people sharing paranormal phenomena and trying to figure out using real sciences whether it was of paranormal origin or not; they also tried to understand what was going on.

Lately, it seems this is a different /x/. This /x/ seems to be full of superstitious ninnies and new-agers who believe in chakras and crystal energy's and whatever, not paranormal investigators and inquirers.
>>
>>18284213
A little of this, a sparkle of that.

We just like weird shit in general.
>>
Halloween bump
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.