[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is macabre, somber, thought horror being rooted out by jump scares,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

File: twoautists.png (172KB, 567x285px) Image search: [Google]
twoautists.png
172KB, 567x285px
Is macabre, somber, thought horror being rooted out by jump scares, or am I just being autistic?
>>
jump scares and shock horror are ruining horror
>>
File: mfw_05.jpg (136KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_05.jpg
136KB, 700x714px
>>16938343
yet, OP is still, quite obviously, autistic

>and a faggot
>>
lovecraft sucked ass
>>
>>16938343
It's usually the first post that is
>/thread.

Horror is about fear, suspense, and anticipation w/no gradification. Unnerving. The actual "horror" comes from the reveal - when the proverbial shit hits the fan.

Not "Woogity boogity!" all the time.

I blame the lack of good, dedicated writers. Poe and Lovecraft were pioneers - we need more of the like.
>>
>>16937991
Jump scares are easy to write and the pleb general audience don't get bored. People won't sit through anything slow anymore unless it's heavily advertised Oscar bait. It used to work because cinema was novel and people were genuinely excited by it and didnt get to $enjoy" it on demand but that's not the case anymore.
>>
>>16937991
You're right, but you're still autistic.
>>
>>16937991
Poe and Lovecraft never wrote movies. It's impossible to put jump scares into textual fiction, so you have no idea how heavily either of them would have employed the technique in screenwriting had they the chance.
>>
You're definitely right OP.

A movie that I think really got the macabre, somber, moody shit right is the american remake of The Ring. It wasn't terrifying by any means, but it was beautiful, mysterious, creepy, and gave you a general...feeling. Somber and chilling.

I get sick to death of jump scares and all the other cheap shit that's thrown in horror movies today.
>>
>>16938816
Not really the best example. The remake tries too hard and the kid is obnoxious as fuck. The original is better.
>>
False scares done well are there to create insecurity. They make the viewer less certain as to when they can feel safe. Classic slasher movies tend to get the balance right.
>>
>>16938818
Really? I feel like the remake took what the original had and did it ten times better. Trust me, I'm usually a huge obnoxious hipster about remakes, but this is probably the only one I really liked. I think the cinematography was gorgeous, the color grading, the use of atmosphere...it really just took me into that world.

The original set the groundwork for the story but it didn't have any of those great little extras that the remake had. It wasn't really going for artful, whereas the remake was trying to recreate paintings.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlYFdzsXUb0
>>
>>16938861
I watched the remake first, and while I didn't mind it initially, it felt like it was trying too hard to make the things in the cursed video "come to life" instead of focusing on the symbolism, make Samara pure evil, and just generally be a "scary movie", whereas the original had a story to tell (though they omitted a lot from the original novel which I found interesting and should have kept), although I can see why it might feel more bland to American audiences.
>>
I wonder how hard it would be to do a general analysis of whether or not all movies are getting dumber. This sort of stuff is measurable, the reading grade level of the scripts would be a good place to start.

There's really no question sci-fi isn't what it used to be. There've always been dumb gorefiend horror movies though so idk how it would shake out
>>
>>16938706
>lovecraft sucked ass

You suck ass.
>>
>>16937991

lovecraft is shock horror though. just what was shocking to 19th century racist
>>
>>16938887
It would be hard to quantify. Silent movies had little dialogue, then when sound kicked in there was a period when they were overexcited about its potential. After that, we slowly receded back to an understanding that film is a very visual medium in which speech should gild what is being filmed. Is any of that any more valid than the rest?

Consider also that we understand a movie's auteur to be the director. The screenwriter merely provides the base material for the director to build on. Given this, the reading grade of the script itself might not be the best starting point.
>>
Babadook is the only recent movie that keeps the true tradition of horror alive.

The fact of the matter is it's cheap to make these crappy found footage films that have virtually no special effects and are all filmed in the same house. Low Investment, high yield. I can't even keep track of all the shit that comes out anymore.
>>
both
>>
>>16937991
It only dies out if you let it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQBYJpJUq0
>>
>>16937991
if you think that you're being autistic probably -if not certainly- you are being autistic.
>>
>>16939081
That movie sucked ass just like you
>>
>>16938801
>Poe and Lovecraft never wrote movies. It's impossible to put jump scares into textual fiction,

BOO!

>so you have no idea how heavily either of them would have employed the technique in screenwriting had they the chance.

FIFY
>>
Horror fiction does have it's equivalent to jump scares. It's called the gross out. Rather than building suspense or terror you just describe something really disgusting or grotesque. It's a cheap way out of not writing anything exceptionally unique.
>>
>>16939893
That's totally different. Different effect, different function. It's done in film too.
>>
File: Curse the groudn.jpg (53KB, 604x392px) Image search: [Google]
Curse the groudn.jpg
53KB, 604x392px
>>16937991
No. You just have to seek it to find what you want to appear before your eyes.
>>
>>16937991

You imply those are mutually exclusive...
>>
>>16937991
It's dead simple to film a jumpscare. Thought provoking horror, unexplainable dread, and inconceivable horrors are not easy to film. Since most people interested in horror only watch movies, they just go with the easier option to film.
>>
>>16939555
You'll appreciate it when you're older.
>>
>>16938729
Basically this. Also people being genuinely sickened by stuff like sinister and saw. Yeah it's not nice but you don't need to vomit in the cinema or leave in tears. Jesus. There's worse shit on the web. There's worse shit just by having a farming family.
>>
I've always been toying with the idea of a subliminal horror. I'm a sound designer/foley guy so it's something that interests me. I'd like to think it possible that we could make a horror film that on the surface is your typical jumpy bullshit but underneath (either through audio or imagery) we could
make something that creates fear on a subconscious level
>>
>>16937991
>macabre, somber, thought horror
When was that common again?
>>
>>16943348
Back when "horror" games and movies weren't a dime a dozen. Text was the only available medium from the 1800s into the early 1900s, so it was used and used well, and its writers didn't get much in the way of money from it. Then movies came around, then slasher flicks stopped being low budget camp and got big and stupid, then we got shitty horror games, and look at us now.
>slasher flicks are big budget tit and gore fests that scare no one but the normiest normies
>FNaF will spawn millions of sequels until Markplier stops losing his shit over it
>>
>>16943386
So in other words, horror belongs to the kids now.
>>
>>16943233
any links to your work? i'm very interested in foley work and sound design.
>>
>>16943233

+1

Sound design needs to be better utilized in modern horror. For me, personally, almost all my real-life spooks derive from hearing something I cannot identify.

I also think infrasonics are underused, though I suppose there's the issue that 99% of home viewers anyway don't have a system capable of reproducing them.
>>
>>16938706
that's funny coming from a LOSER who is also RETARDED and says DUMB things
>>
>>16943793
Nothing major I'm afraid. Did a little work for a game, doing some work for an app for the navy of my country and also helped out on a ff7 HD remake before I realised it was going to be remade. Writing my dissertation ATM.
Working on building a significant portfolio.
>>16944003
Infrasonics aren't just something home viewers can't experience. They're not easy at all haha.

I agree though, I think audio is the most important element. Obviously I'm biased but still. It's one of our strongest senses and something that is hard to forget. Go watch the Dagestan massacre videos. You won't get that sound out of your head for a while. It's the audio that haunts you.

What I mean though is triggering something on a subliminal level. Obviously we all know imagery is used for that but are there any examples of audio? If there are I would happily spend Sunday looking and trying to recreate some
>>
>>16944193
>>16943793
At current there's links only to my uni coursework. I should hopefully be recording live artillery in the coming weeks however
>>
honestly, yes.
horror is changing.
not all of it is shit though.
>>
>>16944193
What do you mean by audio triggering something on a subliminal level?
Like, sounds that naturally trigger a fear response?
I could think of a few sounds that startle me but the thing is, any sound that is out of place or coming from an unknown source suddenly is scary.
>>
>>16944542
Yeah. Something that gets to you. Yes I meant sounds that trigger a primal fear but most would be too obvious and wouldn't sit well depending on the film. There's research suggesting that binaural beats can cause unease and feelings of dread but that would be very difficult/impossible to apply to an audience. I would like to know any MK Ultra style audio work just without the LSD and just temporary. I looked at the US psyops work in Vietnam. Some was interesting. That's more audible torture though. Would need hours or days of exposure. I tried it on my housemate that was fat and showered so rarely he stank out the house. A constant fluctuating pair of sine waves playing just frequencies apart and a very well hidden voice suggesting/whispering that he should shower. Don't think it worked
>>
>>16946074
Haha that's awesome anon. Too bad it didn't work though.
Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge on that, I've only played video games with creepy sounds but it's hard to say if it's just the sounds alone that got to me or the atmosphere of the game in general. Those sounds would be metal/pipes groaning/clanking, whispering, certain screams.
Actually, thinking about it whispering might be creepy in like every situation because it triggers something in you to pay cautious attention.
>>
>>16937991
>or am I just being autistic?
Can't it be both?
>>
>>16939081
I hadn't even heard of Babadook until I saw the makeup tutorial pop up on pinkstylist's channel. Sure, I wanna watch it, but I feel they could have advertised it more.
>>
>>16946801
Yes metallic scrapes are one of the creepiest sounds for sure. SAS soldier Andy Mcnab said that due to torture he now associates the sound of sheet metal with being burnt. Whispering was used in Vietnam. Psyops played religious noises through the jungle. Sounds of "Vietnamese dead".

Really I want to see if it's possible to cause a feeling on unease and fear through audio. Something that isn't at first apparant. Yeah if you use whispering at low levels to draw in a listener and make them listen harder and then blast a horrible sound yes. That's a bit jump scare though. That's been done before. I think it was a Kojima game. Or resident evil 1 can't remember. Sounds progressively got quieter so the gamer turns up the speakers more and more. Then a loud sound
>>
>>16946878
Yeah I think silent hill used sound that way too to draw you in then suddenly loud noise. I love scary vidya.
Your idea sounds really good though if you could figure out certain frequencies and such.
Do you know what they meant by the 'religious' noises they played? That sounds intriguing.
>>
>why am movies no scary like book am scary
>>
>>16938706
thats kafka, you fucking niggerautist
>>
>>16937991
no, this is an autist
>>16942827
>>
>>16947307
That gave me a kek in the catalog. The combination of believing in literal reptillians plus the fedora tier smugness about the implication that Argonians are the primary fictional lizard-people was just too much.
>>
>>16947154
I'm not sure. Just look up Psyops in Vietnam. Really cool stuff. Yeah I just want to look into binaural beats and see if I can find the frequencies that cause a sense of unease. That would be cool
>>
>>16947461
>>16947154
Me again. Supposedly 17hz is a frequency that can Instill fear and paranoia. Even anxiety. The issue is generating 17hz. I have gear that produces as low as 20hz but I'll have to look into generating lower. The issue is that even my friends special sub won't do 17hz unless you crank it up to the point that it cracks the walls.
>>
>>16947669
Oh wow. I looked into it a bit and it says that sounds below 20 hz aren't even heard by the ear but are felt by the body. So if we can't hear it... it still exists, and apparently can make us feel uneasy. So it's like we could be hearing super low frequency sounds and feeling uneasy but not be able to attribute the uneasiness to anything. That actually makes it creepier.
>>
>>16947669
Is this in away way related to the brown note?
>>
>>16947915
I think the brown note is 12.5hz. Not looked for a while. I remember it being around there. Either 12.5 or 7.5. Something like that. Personally I think the brown note isn't real but its effects are possible. I've heard that 11.5hz is the resonant frequency of a human eyeball which is what gives people paranormal experiences. The building a person could think is haunted could really just resonate at the right frequency to cause vibrations in the eyeball and give the impression of a paranormal event
>>
>>16947912
Yeah I know. 20hz-20Khz is the average range of human hearing. However our ears can have a midrange sensitivity. We can detect lower than 20hz but it would have to be ramped up in volume excessively. Supposedly we can identify sounds as low as 12hz. We go into this a lot as part of my degree, I'm just interested in generating these sounds. It's difficult since we hear low end frequencies less clearly and that's why turning up your sound system gives the apparant impression of "adding bass".

Might email a lecturer and see what they have they can lend me.
I'd love to generate below 20hz through our big sound systems in the studios and sit there for hours to see if it has an effect. I experienced as low as 17-18hz in a special lecture once. It makes your body pulsate. Incredible stuff. I want to go lower though
>>
What spooks me out the most are good documentaries about aliens or ghosts or even murder mysteries
>>
>>16948035
It's 18hz. My mistake. That's the frequency at which the majority of human eye balls resonate
>>
>>16948059
>good documentaries about aliens
Where the HELL do I find one of those?

If I count more than four questions five minutes in, it's shit.
>>
>>16948060
>>16948052
>>16948035
Another issue is that we need a large enough room for the wave to form. Think about it. 20hz is 20 cycles a second. So going below that we need to take the speed of sound, what frequency we are using, the distance needed to generate it. That would be f (freq) s (speed of sound) d (distance)

So Idk, I'm bad at maths but that would be...

F/S=D?

Idk. You'd need a room large enough to generate the wave though. Of course with a perfectly formed room you could reflect the sound wave and use half the space initially required and cause a standing wave in the middle of the room
>>
>>16948066
Actually yeah I wanna know too. Anyone got anything good I can watch before bed?
>>
>>16948035
>>16948060
>>16948052
>>16948085
The eye ball resonating--> paranormal experiences thing is super freaky and interesting to me. I've experienced many paranormal things in my parents house that I was convinced was haunted by something.

Also I'm really bad at math too so I'm not sure how all that set up would work. But I think it would be really cool to experience something like what you said in the special lecture where you could feel your body pulsate. Do you know how it was done then?
>>
>>16948252
>>16948252
I'm not sure what I would need in terms of speakers. However the issue of room size is that standing waves can cause phase cancellation and completely cancel out the sound so it would have no effect.
I live in an old house too, would be interesting to find out how the house moves.

In the morning I'll ask some lecturers about generating super low tones.

I mean in theory it's just speakers that can move air at the right speed. Maybe the massive speakers in the studio can do it. Maybe not. When I can a chance In there I'll give it a go. See if I can go lower and lowee
>>
>>16948288
Sounds good let me know what you find out. If this thread's gone you could even start a new one about creepy noises in particular. Maybe other anons have more info too
>>
>>16948288

I have a DIY sub that does 14-16 Hz (measured with a computer calibrated decibel meter). You don't need crazy huge drivers or a huge room.

But for the max effect, look up the cult of the infinitely baffled. They turn entire houses in subs.
>>
>>16938816
I think the same thing about The Grudge. However I just watched The Ring and it was terrible, not sure what the hype is all about
>>
>>16949237
Will do
>>16949439
Sweet thanks reading now. What do you use to generate low stuff? My oscillators only go down to 20
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.