[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

scary parts in otherwise non-horror games posting my personal favorite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 67

File: Ocean_house_hotel.jpg (45KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
Ocean_house_hotel.jpg
45KB, 800x640px
scary parts in otherwise non-horror games
posting my personal favorite
>>
That serial killer guy from GTA IV.

And the dead girl/altar from Hitman: Contracts.
>>
i just watcched that video last night, weird.
>>
>>15970967
>watched
>video
Play the fucking game nigga, it's great
One of my favorite games of all time
>>
>>15970944

>That serial killer guy from GTA IV

Is that a real thing? I thought that was a spoopyspaghetti

I've also heard the same about GTA SA but never encountered either.

Anyway my favorite horror settings are probably Condemend 1 and like 80% of Condemned 2.

On the subject of VTMB I actually thought the werewolf section was the coolest. Also I don't see how you're calling it a "non horror game" considering you're playing as a vampire who fights other vampires, werewolves, ghosts, fleshmancers, etc even if the game wasn't omg2spookzy all the time doesn't mean it's not horror.
>>
>>15971054
I wouldn't consider it horror because the point of the game isn't to scare you
It's more of a horror-themed rpg
>>
>>15971054
>Is that a real thing? I thought that was a spoopyspaghetti

Yeah. He's in a couple "Strangers" missions.

He drops off a suitcase with (apparently) body parts in it in the ocean.

>I've also heard the same about GTA SA but never encountered either.

I think he's near the desert or LV. Carries a knife. There's vids of both on YT.

Another weird encounter in SA is the suicidal photographer. The developers put a lot of strange things in SA.
>>
Max Payne. The first one,

There are some downright terrifying levels, but even just the ones with the super gritty, dirty urban setting full of druggies and homeless people are downright scary and disturbing, in and of themselves.
>>
>>15971079

>horror-themed rpg

That's called horror
>>
>>15971086

You need to play Condemned if you haven't already.
>>
>>15971086
I loved the atmosphere of the first one. Remember those fucking nightmare levels?
>>
The Oddworld games for PS1.

Not sure what it is, I just get these awful feelings of dread and anxiety when I play them. Maybe its just too weird for me? Kind of like a David Lynch film I guess.
>>
>>15971090
Actually I have not. Ill be sure to check it out. I have heard good things the few times ive heard it discussed. Thanks for the reccomendation.

>>15971092
Goddamn, those levels were ground breaking as far as gaming goes. Who wouldve thought a game with a guido cop dressed in a leopered skin vest wouldve been one of the freakiest and disturbing games ever made?

The part that (unintentionally?) freaked me out the most was when you bust into that dudes run down, dark, crummy apartment, shoot him with a blood curdling scream and then the TV plays with the "Pink Flamingo".

>"The... Flesh... Of... Fallen... Angels"
>"I have no idea what that means"
>"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Like wtf? Who comes up with this shit?

Max Payne 3 was good compared to all the other garbage these days, but jesus, the atmosphere of the first just cannot be compared.
>>
>>15971103
>The part that (unintentionally?) freaked me out the most was when you bust into that dudes run down, dark, crummy apartment, shoot him with a blood curdling scream and then the TV plays with the "Pink Flamingo".

Was that in the first or 2nd game? I don't really remember that part.

But both are still excellent. Those long hallways with the echoing screams and trying to balance on those blood lines like a maze. Shit was crazy.

Also. The theme from the first is simply one of the best ever made (in my opinion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0y0On8ZGQ

And the end song from 2 ("Late Goodbye") really got me into the band Poets Of The Fall.

Never played 3. Looked like shit.
>>
>>15971083
>Another weird encounter in SA is the suicidal photographer. The developers put a lot of strange things in SA.
Things like this were the reason I loved SA as a kid. A lot of stories about that game are just made-up myths and bullshit, but there are some actual mysterious things in that game and that always made exploring new places the tits. Loved the rural areas and creepy backwoods.
>>
>>15971118
I remember for the longest fucking time I was looking for the rumored "Bigfoot" in SA.

They even put Bigfoot in GTA V because of the SA rumors.

The rural areas and backwoods were so creepy. I think the desert area was even more creepy. Like those 3 body bags behind that rock.
>>
>>15971103
Condemned was one of the first 360 games I ever got because it was discount at the time. Anticipated shit but it turned out to be one of the best horror titles in that generation of consoles in my opinion. Come to think, it got stolen before I ever beat it. Considering downloading the PC version but not having controller support makes me hesitate...
>>
>>15970893
Stalker all the way. I don't consider it a horror game. It's just a game that manages to evoke in a very unique way a depressing yet dynamic world.

Also, Morrowind had a lot of creepy places, like the Vivec sewers, the Ghostgate and ultimately Red Mountain. I also remember the ancestral tombs and the whole mazes of Daedric temples full with fucked up angles and sounds (aside from the ass-raping cultists and monsters)
>>
>>15971123
>Come to think, it got stolen before I ever beat it

The last level was/is nightmare fuel.
>>
>>15971123
The keyboard and mice controls were decent from what I remember
>>
>>15971127
oh fuck I remember that.
I remember blazing through it as fast as I could, saying FUCK YOU to anything that popped out.
10/10 condemned is a damn good title, highly recommended to anyone.

>What does /x/ think of Doom 3 / Doom 3 BFG Edition?
>>
Condemned is my favorite scary game of all time; bought it at launch and replayed it over and over.

As for spooky parts in not-spooky games, that asylum in the third Thief game freaked me out a bit. The ending bit to the serial killer section of LA Noire also had me stressed.
>>
>>15971136

Doom 3 is fine

I mean it's Doom, not much else to say.
>>
>>15971136
Never played any modern Doom games. I think I played one of the extremely old ones on PC back in 2001 but I was more interested in Halo and Goldeneye (on N64).

This thread is slowly going from "scary moments in non horror games" to "scary moments in horror games".
>>
File: Capture.png (13KB, 1085x495px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13KB, 1085x495px
>>15971127
>>15971128
>>15971136
Convinced me, gotta play this shit again

>>15971141
this, BFG is basically just console port edition though. Just go with the original Doom 3 + HD gfx mods and it will look as good if not better than BFG edition without you losing the ability to mod your game.
>>
>>15971148

If you're going to play Doom 3 on PC then make sure you install the original Trent Reznor sound pack.
>>
When I was a kid I played Morrowind and let me tell you nigga, those daedric ruins gave me some serious heebie-jeebies
>>
Rockstar definitely knows how to make a great atmosphere. The empty places, minimalist synth soundtracks and overall feeling of Manhunt was intense. Especially in the few levels where you hunt the Satanist gangs or the mental patients.

The loading screens in The Warriors made me a bit uneasy due to the synth soundtrack as well.
>>
>>15971148
For some reason the levels that really stood out for me in Condemned were the subway one and the basketball court. No idea why.

Also. F.E.A.R was pretty great.
>>
>>15971156
Manhunt was fantastic. The fat guys in doll masks were so fucking creepy. Especially their (child rape) dialogue.

And Piggsy.

>The Warriors

Straight up one of the best games ever made (in my opinion).
>>
>>15971124
I don't want to spoil anything but some of the shit that happens in the large underground area about halfway through is genuinely unsettling as fuck. In general the underground in Stalker areas are pretty freaky
>>
>>15971165
Yeah Piggsy. The touch of genuine horror that the game was just itching for.

I remember while searching around levels and there were bathrooms or places with nothing there. I'd swear I'd hear something, be it in my own head or just a little ambient sound in the game. What made it more scary is the perfect setup for a jumpscare that never came. It was exhausting at times being on edge like that.

Also there was the random rabbit suit dude that turned the surrealism up for a bit.
>>
It's obviously horror based but one indie game I thought was really good because of the atmosphere is One Late Night.
>>
>>15971182
>What made it more scary is the perfect setup for a jumpscare that never came.

Yeah. Always keeps you on edge. Hate that shit but love it at the same time.
>>
>>15971124
>Stalker all the way.
Absolutely. It's intriguing, immersive and bleak at the same time. Also the underground labs.
>>
Postal 1.

So SO different from the funny, light hearted Postal 2 and Postal 3. Postal 1 is downright dark and disturbing and has some of the most uneasy ambient music ive ever heard in any video game or movie. Postal Dude is basically some guy possesed by demons, and all you do is go around.just killing everybody for no rhyme or reason while dark, foreboding minimalist ambient noise plays in the background. Such a strange game.
>>
Halo when you fight the Flood.

Nobody likes to admit it, but yeah it was freaky as fuck and you all know it.
>>
>>15971175
>>15971209
Yea, the X labs were incredible moments, unlike anything I've played before.

I'm currently fighting my way through Prypiat (ShoC) and it's amazing.

By the way, if you guys don't know, I heartly recommend looking up the Autumn Aurora 2.1 Overhaul Mod for ShoC. It's absolutely amazing, it enhances the vanilla experience in an extraordinary way.
>>
>>15970893
stalker and fear, easy choice, fear for build up and anticipation and stalker for the immense sense of dread from the atmosphere
>>
>>15971223
Actually, here's the link. If at least one person gets into this and enjoys it a quarter of how much I'm enjoying it right now, I'd be happy.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod
>>
>>15971223
Get complete for CS and COP.
>>
>>15971221
You were all like I'm just gonna shoot this fat flood gu--oh my gosh it exploded and little spider flood babies are coming to get me. I agree with you.
>>
>>15971112
Sorry for the late reply. Its from the first one. Heres the scene I was talking about in particular...

http://youtu.be/RAZ8ohoIcx4

So much wtf...

I loved the soundtrack too. Fucking so epic.

>>15971123
Just watched a clip on Youtube, will definitely be picking up this game. Thanks!
>>
File: 524324695.jpg (33KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
524324695.jpg
33KB, 640x360px
First encounter of the Hive in Destiny.
>>
>>15971238
Oh yeah. If you look closely at the screen with the red curtain and candles, I think that's taken from Lupino's ritual room. Near the stairs in the back that leads up to the larger area with the boss battle.
>>
>>15971255
Yep. Sure is!

That level scared the living shit out of me as a kid. Literally stopped playing the game for like 6 months before I picked it up again and pushed forward. Fuck Ragnarok nightclub. Fuck it with an AIDS dick.
>>
>>15971263
>BLOOD TO YOU AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL

But nah. I wasn't scared. I was more like "it'd be cool to have all that space."
>>
>>15971273
Lol I was like 11 at the time, I hadnt even played a Silent Hill game yet when that game came out. Im dying to replay it though.
>>
>>15971277
I honestly haven't played many Silent Hill games although I still have SH4. I was always more of a Resident Evil guy.
>>
>>15970893
It is great, but non horror games? Surely you don't mean bloodlines, the game about a vampire war brewing, flesh crafting beings, zombies, and a giant werewolf? I get that since you are a vamp too it isn't as scary as it could be, but I'd say it's still a gothic horror setting.
>>
I was genuinely creeped out by MGS. Certain parts of the game creeped me out.

> mfw kojima put ghosts in it
> only can be caught with the camera
> mfw i was somehow sensing where the ghosts were

Somehow Duke Nukem had its moments. The lady screaming from time to time in L.A., the satanic altar in the prison and butthead's voice at the burger place.
>>
Anyone remember the Thief series? Now those were scary where they had no reason to be
>>
>>15971156
Manhunt is by far my favorite game. I've only a PS2 so that's what I play.

There's one level (forget which but could be the mall level) where the music fucked me up. I'm a full sensory schizophrenic and i could feel the music climbing and hear the words "kill, kill, kill" but idk if it's just me.

-------

Anyone remember Katamari Damacy? It wasn't really creepy, but the animations of the people were off putting.
>>
>>15970893
jesus fuck. this place.
>>
>>15971308
>I'm a full sensory schizophrenic

On /x/? Nah. Don't be ridiculous.
>>
>>15971182
>>15971165
>>15971156
>>15971308

Never played either Manhunt but I always thought it looked interesting (and brutal) as fuck when I watched YouTube vids of it as a kid. Think it would still be worth playing on PC today? Also was Manhunt 2 capable of being run in 1080p?
>>
File: Johnson.gif (27KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
Johnson.gif
27KB, 300x230px
>>15971308
>but the animations of the people were off putting
Probably because the were modeled like those retro 8-bit games to save hardware usage. Calling anything in Katamari creepy is just plainly stupid.
>>
>>15971308
I can see that happening. The music did get intense at times.

>>15971312
Kek

>>15971313
I think Manhunt was released on PSN fairly recently (not sure if the graphics are redone or not). So possibly Manhunt 2 is in the works or out now. Post PS2 I have always been an Xbot, so I don't know.

Is anybody familiar with the original xbox supposedly playing weird music or saying your name while in 'stand by' mode? I heard something like that recently.
>>
>>15971313
Yes.

Its graphics aren't far off from The Warriors and that still holds up well.
>>
>>15971313
>I always thought it looked interesting (and brutal) as fuck when I watched YouTube vids of it as a kid.

YouTube wasn't even around when I was a kid. Ha.

But yeah. It was so brutal that it almost got banned in the US. I think they had to censor bits of it. But the one I played still had all the gory executions.

>Think it would still be worth playing on PC today?

Fuck yeah. The atmosphere was great. Loved Carcer City.
>>
File: 21212212122222.jpg (20KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
21212212122222.jpg
20KB, 400x267px
metroid prime on game cube

>the reflection of samus's face in the helmet glass scared the livin' shit out of me lol
>>
File: 212222222222222.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
212222222222222.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
>>15971348
pic
>>
>>15971333
I think the executions were never tampered with in part 1 and 2. They just had to get creative with the zoom and fuzzy VHS tape filter. Not sure about the sound effects though. But who's to say that squishy crunch sound, turning to empty hollow skull effect with the crowbar, isn't how it would sound IRL?

I do know that it got recalled in Australia. Rockstar has always been hard on the Aussies in its games (see GTA's radio) and their shitty ratings is why.
>>
>>15971354
>I think the executions were never tampered with in part 1 and 2.

I don't remember specifically what it was. I just remember it being in the news a lot and questions over it being censored or banned because it was too violent.
>>
>>15971351
Why did I not notice this? Is that what it also effects when you mess with the opacity settings?

Also its sort of scary imagining that greasy midget Tommy Tallarico, grinding out that awesome guitar riff in the Space Pirate songn
>>
>>15971314
Man, come on.
Those faces! When i was younger that part with the little girl was so weird.
After you create a constellation she has a cute scene. She says "I can feel it! I can feel the cosmos!" She adds some sort of praise regarding the constellation before spinning into space. While spinning her words trail and echo.

>>15971312
Nah, for real.
>>
>>15971357
you can only see it when you charge your gun and shoot it at something really close to you if i remember correctly
>>
Following the bottom right path out of Skyrim is pretty unnerving. The landscape gets all weird and at a certain point you notice that you are way below sea level. Nothing but the deep dark depths of some fantasy world's ocean to embrace you when quite possibly fall through.
>>
>>15970893
everyone who posts the ocean view either hasn't played past it or hasn't played bloodlines at all. Grouts mansion is "scarier" since there's things there that actually pose danger to you. Theres literally 0 risk of dying unless you do it to yourself in ocean view.
>>
>>15971376
There actually is damage taken from the shit that explodes in your face, but I agree. Also there is the snuff is enuff mission where you find where the tapes have been recorded...
>>
File: that fucking eel.jpg (140KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
that fucking eel.jpg
140KB, 640x480px
If we're going old school, this motherfucker right here.
>>
>>15971376

It's been years since I played it but the Tzimisce enemies (their creations I believe) in the sewers were the scariest part.

The Tzimisce themselves boarder on being creepy as hell and fucking radical.
>>
>>15971373
How about the spooky tower in Fallout 3. Ghosts are in there and they are actually summoning some sort of cthulu shit in the basement.
>>
File: cradle-012.jpg (58KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
cradle-012.jpg
58KB, 590x443px
Thief 3 wasn't the best in its series by a long shot but the Shalebridge Cradle is fucking terrifying
>>
>>15971397
Schlacta
>>
>>15971299
Of course. Fucking downright terrifying at times. Best series ever.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>15971476
Yeaaah, the ghost in the mirror and dark blue hallway with the curtains blowing. Good shit.
>>
File: latest.jpg (142KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
142KB, 800x600px
>>15970893
Not scary, but intriguing as hell. I also made a dank conspiracy theory in my head, which seems to be pretty legit.
Glunmar must have been an independent statelet, like all of the Rhodok kingdom before the lord of Culmarr Castle (one of the most important pathways to the Rhodoks) blocked the passageway which happens to be beside it. Then, King Graveth forced Glunmar into submission, but its people resisted (hence the Glaives and javelins being buried onto the ground).
After some fights, Glunmar was taken by the Rhodoks, but the Swadian weaponry leaves me totally clueless. Maybe the Glunmar-ians were so strong that a temporary Rhodok-Swadian co-operation was needed to take them down.
>>
File: unloved.gif (246KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
unloved.gif
246KB, 500x276px
Doom still scares me or at least keeps me o,n edge as I play
>tfw playing unloved
>>
I think that the depths from Dark Souls was a little scary. Perhaps not horrifying, but the claustrophobic setting and surreal creatures definitely freaked me our.
>>
File: Manhunt-PSN.jpg (242KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
Manhunt-PSN.jpg
242KB, 620x400px
I dont know about you guys, but Manhunt on the PS2 was pretty spoopy. There were alot of "cheap" scares and the villain get ups were freaky for its time. Think a remake would be bad ass? I think so.
>>
File: painkiller02.jpg (58KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
painkiller02.jpg
58KB, 1024x768px
The Asylum from painkiller
>>
Soul Reaver. All the fucking songs and ambients
>>
>>15971290
The thing is, when you're Tremere master race with a Blokk that you can unload on a nigga while blasting them with BLOOD STRIKE, the things that go bump in the night tend to get bumped off pretty quickly.
>>
>>15970893

>be playing FarCry 3
>in the middle of nowhere stalking a deer
>prone in tall grass, sneeking towards the deer with knife drawn
>"I'm gonna cut you up good bitch"
>notices a flash of orange to the left
>Graaaaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!!!!
>motherfucking tiger jumps out of nowhere and starts ripping into the deer
>nope.jpg
>i stand up and start running away like a faggot, hoping the tiger hasn't seen me
>hears noise behind me
>turns around
>Graaaaarr!!!!!!!!
>drops the controller and shits a brick
>dies a bloody tiger-related death
>>
File: lates.jpg (126KB, 474x556px) Image search: [Google]
lates.jpg
126KB, 474x556px
>>15971570
animals are shit-brick inducing videogame things. I have never reacted so monkey-brained than I have with animal attacks in games.

>Playing Dangerous Hunts on PS2.
>Shoot at bear, 200 meters out, stands up, looks at me.
>Starts running
>Is up on me in 10 seconds
>Get a couple shots off before it kills me

Jesus christ what about the antlions in HL2?

Remember the first time they flew at you?
>>
>>15971233
The flood was also this force that almost felt like it was encroaching on all life in the universe
Removing it from the franchise was an incredibly stupid mive
wouldn't be surprised if they brought them back with a bullshit excuse
>>
>>15971543
Based on Danvers State Hospital

Inspired and on-location filming there for the horror movie Session 9, which I recommend if you haven't seen it.

>>15971541
The other people mentioning Manhunt have inspired me to try it again. Back when I first played it, I was much younger (its a very old game), and I was disgusted by the premise and the killing.

I was worried about starting to play this game today , mostly worried that the graphics would be so shitty that it would ruin the fun. I've been playing for an hour now, and with a modern PC it is absolutely playable, and the atmosphere and the premise is still sickening, but I can enjoy it more. It's still bleak and brutal and filled with scumbags and makes you uncomfortable.
>>
File: Fantasma_Chozo_con_Rayos_X.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Fantasma_Chozo_con_Rayos_X.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>15971351

Fuck if we're gonna bring up Metroid Prime. Those fucking Chozo ghosts scared the shit out of me.

One of my favourite games of all time though
>>
Playing Morrowind at night with headphones used to creep me out sometimes.

Exlporing 6th cult caves and tombs in total darkness with a torch and hearing strange whispers.
>>
>>15971079
>not horror
>based on Vampire: the Masquerade - A Game of Personal Horror
>Personal Horror
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEiU6JEnD4
probably those fuckers
>>
>>15971112
Poets of the Fall rules!
>>
I remember there was some scary parts in Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. I still think this is why that ben shit really caught on a few years ago.

Fighting Baron Samedi in Goldeneye64.

Body Harvest. Its a 3rd person sci-fi game where insectoid aliens are invading. And there's a bunch of cars you can get in and drive around. Being that it was on N64, the game is really desolate which coupled with the bugs, makes the whole thing creepy. The team that made this went on to make Manhunt.

LSD Dream Simulator is scary at times i think.
>>
Metro2033 can get really tense at times, especially when you see the librarians for the first time.

The design and motion of them is creepy, still stuck at that area
>>
>>15971357

In the entrance of the lava caverns there are some steam pipes, get your visor fogged and shoot a charged beam at the wall.

Almost shat a brick when I did it accidentaly the first time
>>
File: letthewholeworldburn.png (1MB, 1364x594px) Image search: [Google]
letthewholeworldburn.png
1MB, 1364x594px
>>15971702
Indeed.
>>
>>15971093
you are right, and you are not alone
>>
>>15971618
Manhunt still holds up. The kill scenes could be considered spooky.. if youre on the receiving end of it, of course.
>>
>>15971525
that's not swadian weaponry, it's rhodok weaponry
>>
>>15971175
The squeek from the rotating lights for some reason gets me going on STALKER.

It's such a small, simple thing but it gets me on edge for some reason.
>>
>>15971398
The Dunwich building. Fuck everything about that place.
>>
File: No - Ralph Pootawn.jpg (192KB, 602x493px) Image search: [Google]
No - Ralph Pootawn.jpg
192KB, 602x493px
>>15971609
>When you go to the Flood hive in Halo 3 with the rectum doors
>>
File: 08.jpg (28KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
28KB, 800x600px
>>15971476
Why did Hitman Contracts have this sinister feeling to it?

What you posted plus pic related freaked me out.

The giggles man...
>>
>>15971849
That whole upper area plus the altar room with the body are something right out of a nightmare. Only lights around were all the candles plus the lightning and rain above.
>>
Library in Metro:2033
>>
>>15971862
Yeah. Whenever I was up there I tried finishing my shit as fast as possible to gtfo back to where the guests were.
>>
>>15971230
>playing CoP with misery mod (excellent mod BTW)
>get all the way to last area in the game
>main quest bugs out so I can't complete it
I never got to finish that game ;_;
>>
>>15971376
Except the mansion wasn't scary at all
Just a bunch of insane people mumbling to themselves while loopy music plays and you listen to his weird recordings
Lol, seeing it written that way makes it sound scary but I didn't think it was, just really strange.
>>
>>15971238
FUCK THAT SHIT.

I would listen to the whole thing once in a while and then shoot the TV after the scream.
>>
>>15971849
>>15971862
>>15971882
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_7T8iD6Ek

Good times.
>>
>>15971238
>doppelgangers
>black and white zig-zag pattern with red cloth
>speaking backwards
That's such an obvious Twin Peaks reference.
>>
The burglar in the original Animal Crossing. Scared the shit out of me as a kid.
>>
File: sargesheroes2_790screen003.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sargesheroes2_790screen003.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
Please tell me I'm not the only one that remembers this.
>>
>>15972001
I remember that I'm gonna need a sweeper
>>
>all this love for Condemned

I have been banging on about Condemned being the scariest horror game ever. Today you made me proud.
>>
>>15971709
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSOyD6uG7UA

look at 1:50
>>
>>15972021
I'm gonna download it later
After everyone in this thread practically jizzing themselves over it I expect it to be good
>>
>>15971759
There is BOTH Swadian and Rhodok weaponry, look at the bascinet on the right and the various lances/pikes, like the awlpike.
>>
File: raven.jpg (169KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
raven.jpg
169KB, 1024x768px
Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet
>>
File: mb2.jpg (419KB, 1280x948px) Image search: [Google]
mb2.jpg
419KB, 1280x948px
>>15971759
>>15972052
Okay here's a better pic, now you can clearly see the awlpike and the lances at the top.
>>
The tower of latria in demon souls
Fuck those cthulhu monsters, fuck that place
>>
File: KRAKEN.jpg (277KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KRAKEN.jpg
277KB, 1920x1080px
This cunt right here.
>>
>>15971136
Pic related.Play Original Doom 3 and them play BFG for the extra missions.There are few things left in the first that are answered in BFG.
>>15971124
Mah nigga
>>
File: master race.png (33KB, 309x90px) Image search: [Google]
master race.png
33KB, 309x90px
>>15972143
forgot pic
>>
>>15971299

First series I thought of when I read the topic. The newest one had a pretty freaky asylum level
>>
>>15971348

I thought I was the only one who got creeped out by that as a kid.

And then there was the lab in Phendrana Drifts.
>>
>>15971391
This mother fucker right here.

>be kid enjoying new Mario game
>cool always loved underwater Mario levels :^)
>ohshitwtfisthat.jpg
>its coming my way NOPE NOPE NOPE

T-thanks for the thalassophobia Mario ;-;
>>
>>15971862

Not only that but you had a fetish party going on and everyone was oblivious to what was going on in the back
>>
>>15971570
>Fallout 3
>deer
>tigers
You mean Skyrim?
>>
>>15971951
Fuck you man. I didn't ask for all that nostalgia.
>>
>>15972227
Can you not read?
He said farcry 3
>>
File: 1540395-defcon_20100929_175736.png (496KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1540395-defcon_20100929_175736.png
496KB, 1440x900px
Defcon.

Dat music, dat ambience, dat futility.
>>
Conkers Bad Fur Day where you fight the zombies as they charge at you, with spoopy ambient music and little kids laughing in the background.

I cant be the only one who was spooked out by this.
>>
>>15972294
Get off my nuts, I'm retarded!
>>
File: Stalker.photo2.jpg (14KB, 244x222px) Image search: [Google]
Stalker.photo2.jpg
14KB, 244x222px
The stalker from warframe, the first few encounters always feel creepy as hell
>>
the red forest
>>
>>15972431
I could have said it myself, dad
>>
File: 70532_v1.jpg (47KB, 370x273px) Image search: [Google]
70532_v1.jpg
47KB, 370x273px
COD finest hour
>>
>>15971090
>there will never be a Condemned 3 :(
>>
The graveyard level in 40 Winks always got to me as a child.

Looking back now, it was probably like the King Ramses from Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I find it difficult to get scared nowadays. I pick up on when things are meant to be eerie and atmospheric but ehhhhh.
>>
>>15972064
that's because it's overrated and not spooky at all, even on hard difficulty and a physgun-only playthrough
>>
Suprised nobody posted this yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_a5coO6N8
>>
>>15972399
this guy knows it
>>
Towards the end of the first part of Max Payne.

Jack Lupino howling like a wolf & that creepy gothic church nightclub shat me up as a child.
>>
>>15972064
Because we don't go to ravenholm
>>
>>15972756

I think that's more upsetting than scary

I mean yes it's "scary" but no more than dudes trying to blow up a building or a meth lab.
>>
Back when I was a kid, my parents bought me a lot of bootleg and pirated games, one of those was Spyro 3 and I could never play it because I was so scared with this song (and it played at the very start of the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59_wzbG_qg

It's nostalgic as fuck, nowadays.
>>
File: gitgud.png (173KB, 512x510px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
173KB, 512x510px
>>15972756

This wasn't shit compared to the creepy cult basement with all the buried kids

That shit ruined my fucking soul and as a result, that level and game encouraged me to take up law enforcement. Currently an MA in the US Navy, in two years I will be out and then I hitting the police academy so I can promptly tell the pointman to "get out of my spot, sir"
>>
>>15972756
>>15972824
It only got creepy when you made it to the secret tunnel thinngy.
The basement with the glowing stars and ded kids really got to me. The cult apartment complex aswell
>>
>>15972708
Glad to see someone else who played that game.
The mansion level with the coffins in the basement and the re-spawning enemies.
The sunken ship level with the zombie divers.
The music in some areas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCTVs7Aql0
>>
>>15971299
>Thief
I know I'm late, but you're pretty much right. Especially thief 1 and 3, the second game had some weird areas, but none of them was scary.

There are 2 locations I love to hate: the Haunted Cathedral (Thief 1) and the orphanage (Thief 3). The former was the only mission I had to complete with a walkthrough because that place made me too scared to think straight. I was much younger back then, it probably amplified the effect. The orphanage was fucked up as well, it didn't scare me as much as the Haunted Cathedral, but I had goosebumps during that mission.

Other than that, any underground complex in Stalker. Snorks weren't scary, but the other things you could find (or just hear) there certainly were. Jesus fuck, I still remember that one place where bloodsucker rushed you out of fucking nowhere. Even after reloading I couldn't force myself to go further. I knew it was there, waiting for me. I certainly didn't want to face it again. In the end I just stood there for about 15 minutes before I got my shit together and went to kill the mutant.
>>
>>15972984
I couldn't get Thief 1 and 2 to work on my pc, but jesus, I shat some severe bricks playing through the cradle. I even quit somewhere in that level and didn't continue for a few weeks. Mind you this was when I wasn't that very experienced with horror games.

I should download them and try them again, since all my copies have disappeared.

Also true dat on the stalker labs. They've got some disurbing, mouse clenching moments. The noises the Burers made and the damn poltergeists constantly throwing shit at you.
>>
File: 1364177649488.jpg (197KB, 600x2264px) Image search: [Google]
1364177649488.jpg
197KB, 600x2264px
>>
File: 1416180594543.png (133KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1416180594543.png
133KB, 500x333px
>>15972064
I personally found the whole of half life 2 to be pretty scary. Since there was basically no BGM ever there was a lot of creepy ambient sound that played instead, especially in the city.

>those distant screams of anguish as you're entering the apartments at the beginning
>>
Anytime someone comes home in The Very Organized Thief.
>>
PADERBORN from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Way too creepy for a non-horror game. You guys MUST play it, or at least watch it on youtube, you lazy millenial fuck.
>>
>>15971570
>>15972227

>be green text guy again
>be playing Fallout 3 for the first time
>hits level 10, decides to go for a wander
>finds vault 108
>oooiwonderwhatsinthere?.jpg
>enters, all is quiet, goes into one of the first rooms
>hears.. "hahaa Haaa garryyy"
>mfw my name is gary
>turns around and gets hit in the face with a bat by some crazy guy, also called gary
>nopeholyshitwtf.jpg
>flies back up the stairs and nopes out of vault 108

>goes back 10 levels later with Dogmeat and burns place to the ground

One of the few times in a game that I've turned white through fear
>>
File: wtf.jpg (56KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
56KB, 200x200px
>>15973287
>mfw
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmc5KR8dEJE

Surprised nobody linked this yet. This got me as a kid.
>>
That Fallout 3 quest "Those..." when Doctor Lesko opens up that door in the subway tunnels and scares the shit out of you. Also, the Dunwich Building.
>>
File: Lunging.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Lunging.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
These motherfuckers.
>>
I just started playing the game Stranded Deep last night. It's a survival game where you end up on a deserted island after a plane crash in the pacific ocean. Anyway you can craft and dive to catch fish and explore wrecks and travel to abandoned seaforts and tons of cool shit, but the game is so fucking eerie
>plants blowing in the breeze in the dead of night on the deserted island sound like footsteps
>spooky as fuck music when you go diving and theres a shark nearby
>diving into pitch black deep water looking for resources
>Rusted seaforts that creak and groan a lot, making it sound like someone else is there
The feeling of isolation in the game really gets to you, especially when you're on a life raft and a tiger shark is bumping the damn thing to knock you off
>>
File: K8I3U.jpg (50KB, 1072x624px) Image search: [Google]
K8I3U.jpg
50KB, 1072x624px
I know that this game was already mentioned in this post >>15971391, but this piano right here
>>
>>15971086

plus the first of the game where the guys broke into your house.
>>
>>15972001
I wish I didn't.
>>
I found these to be kinda spoopy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKQ3AaBrCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCq72Vgi4M
>>
The only game to ever give me nightmares, to a point where I had to stop playing, was Alien Ressurection on the PS1.

It's jumpscare after jumpscare, very well done. The Aliens are scary, hard and fast, weapons are truly shit-tier and health is always scarce, making it even more terrifying.

After a few nights playing I started having nightmares where I'm running around looking for ammo/health being chased by shadows.

>Fuck that shit, I'm going back to playing ISS Pro Evo Soccer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6ucl5Q3KXUY#t=161
>>
>>15973597
Highly recommended if you want nightmares
>>
File: mouf.jpg (65KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mouf.jpg
65KB, 640x480px
When I was a kid, Nightmare Ned freaked me out, specifically the mouth level.... especially when it would chomp down on you.

Pic related
>>
File: ned.jpg (21KB, 643x464px) Image search: [Google]
ned.jpg
21KB, 643x464px
>>15973646

I remember playing this at a friends house one time when I was maybe 4 or 5, very very very young. and it froze at the exact point in the pic, but damn it was purrrrty scary up to that point, I have no idea why I can remember that so well.
>>
>>15973646

Did this come out before or after Ren & Stimpy
>>
>>15971704
>The team that made this went on to make Manhunt.
I love how you say this like we don't know who Rockstar Games is...
>>
>>15971376
I think the topic of the thread was "Scary moments" not "Lethal moments"
>>
>>15973127
Don't forget the creepy gman stalking.
>>
>>15973976
That was only in the first half life
>>
The original Heretic was creepy as fuck when I was younger.

The music on some of the (dimly light) chapel levels was mostly silent with distant church bells going off at random intervals.

I had nightmares as a child of waking up in one of the rooms on that level. Also fuck those Iron Liches.
>>
File: this.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>15973676
No idea. I just know Disney made this before the TV show and that it was surprisingly disturbing.
Makes me wish I had a system that ran XP so I could play it again
>>
File: oh god.gif (227KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
oh god.gif
227KB, 240x160px
>>15971351
thats not scary, this is scary

spooky sa-x
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 256x355px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 256x355px
You fuckers member this?
>>
>>15974232

No, nobody ever heard of or played Luigi's Mansion
>>
>>15973601
>>15973597

yeah i still have it on ps1. i couldnt get past lvl 2 or 3 and it was way too scary and hard.

was pretty satisfying to kill your first alien tho, after 50 tries
>>
>>15974232
Yep, and the sequel is pretty good too.
>>
>>15974582
i was playing it again a couple weeks ago
but i got stuck at the end when all the ghosts come out of the vortex and you have to kill them all in a certain time frame... shit got annoying real fucking quick.
>>
>>15974593
Oh I know, but overall though, it was a decent game.
>>
>>15971093
Abe's Odyssey? That shit was great but I only played it at like age 6 and it was kinda weird. The monsters and levels were kinda dystopian and spoopy
>>
>>15971308
Katamari is like a psychedelics-influenced kid's game although some of the screams from people are kind of unsettling.
>>
>>15971243
This shit really spooked me, as it was fucking dark as hell, screams were coming everywhere, I was playing by myself atm because I am gud, and you didn't know what to expect.
>>
File: thesuffering.jpg (22KB, 256x329px) Image search: [Google]
thesuffering.jpg
22KB, 256x329px
no one mentioned The Suffering? this game was pretty spooky. when it flashes back to you murdering your family and shit. just wtf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHpF97iGxLc
>>
>>15974776
It's been mentioned numerous times you cunt.
>>
>>15974776
>>15974784

It's also an actual horror game
>>
>>15974776
But it's horror based.

>and yes I loved it
>>
File: cleaver.jpg (4KB, 180x300px) Image search: [Google]
cleaver.jpg
4KB, 180x300px
Shes just wandering the swamp...

Out there somewhere in the dark...

Looking for you...
>>
>>15974776
you can download tthe sequal to it for free courtesy of the united states airforce.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110710145628/http://extcamp.doublefusion.com/US_Air_Force/Game_Download_Sponsored_by_Air_Force.htm
>>
>>15971543
Those fucking arm and legless things crawling around fuck that shit
>>
>develop anxiety in late teens
>can't play spookeh shit anymore
>everything scares the shit out of me
>makes me jolt and move the mouse erratically
>always fucking die

Suffering
>>
>>15971476

Totally this.
>>
>>15974879

You sound like a qt
>>
>>15974890
No I'm just so fucking jumpy.
>TFW me and gf both walk really quietly and both jumpy as fuck
>scare the living fuck out of each other multiple times a day
>start knocking on door frames softly before we enter rooms
>knocking scares the crap out of each other
>mfw I walk past windows and the reflection in the corner of my eye scares the shit out of me

Fucking sucks. Getting all those adrenaline rushes several times a day is really fucking draining.
>>
>>15974929
I have anxiety too, and I don`t get it nearly as fucked up as you do, but I find the screamers to be more tiresome than anything, since they do fucking startle me. And I like that but I also dislike it because my symptoms flare up.

But eitherway, this got me thinking about how fun it`d be to do this with my girlfriend, just sit there together and fucking have fun jumping and trying to figure out how to outrun these fucking creepy ass fuckers.
>>
>>15974938
Films don't bother me at all but games are different. !maybe because I'm in control and it makes it seem more real I don't know.

I can't stand shit chasing me in a game.

PIC related is from wario land where a wall of lava chases you. Gets my heart racing just thinking about it.
>>
File: HP Lovecraft.jpg (729KB, 670x1141px) Image search: [Google]
HP Lovecraft.jpg
729KB, 670x1141px
That PS1 gem of a game, Heart of Darkness had some pretty freaky shit for being otherwise a kid's game.

Also, while it may be horror, any horror junkie who hasn't played Dark Corners of the Earth should do so right now.
>>
>>15974943
Shit chasing me gets me up there with falling unexpectedly, I get that primal feeling as I try to run away.

Scary films I watch all the time, love the atmoshpere, but yeah I`m generally in control since I have less control, and with games you dictate what happens so yeah, it`s way different.

It`s like getting your tooth pulled out, as opposed to watching someone else get your tooth pulled out
>>
>>15974945

Someone really needs to fix that game so it's playable
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkEVoLWQ7pw

This fucking got me.
>>
>>15974973
14mins onwards...
>>
>>15970893
>I recognise those health/mana bars, man that nostalgia...
>Open, see building
NOPE! FUCK THAT PLACE
>>
File: Bk_snacker[1].png (80KB, 440x199px) Image search: [Google]
Bk_snacker[1].png
80KB, 440x199px
>>15971391
THAT FUCKING FISH IN BIG/SMALL WORLD!
I don't know why but when he first ate me I nope'd so hard I couldn't play the game for weeks.
Speaking of old Nintendo, remember this fucker?
>>
>>15970893
so nice to meat another kindred hear
Malkavian: [to a stop sign] "No, you stop!"
>>
As said, manhunt. The atmosphere of the game alone is pretty unsettling. Ultimately manhunt is one of my favorite games I've played in my lifetime, I've replayed it multiple times already

The asylum level is pretty spoopy, the body bag scene is pretty much the epitome of nope
>>
>>15975214

>non-horror
>>
>>15971152
my nigga
>>
>>15973376
I've been wondering if this was worthwhile. I love having tricks played on my mind rather than having the creepiness shoved in my face. I might give it a try.
>>
>>15975218
Not that anonigger.

Horror is paranormal by definition. Terror is fear based on non-paranormal events. To call Manhunt horror is like calling Mario an RTS.

Manhunt is more of a psychological thriller if it was categorized correctly.

Its like when neckbeard movie buffs organize a video rental shop. Instead of just throwing every DVD under "Scary Movies".
>>
>>15971985
>a burglar
>in animal crossing gamecube
nigga what
>>
>>15972973
>>15972708
great game, loved it as a kid
>>
>>15971296
>MGS
the fucking WOLVES
>>
every chapter of sanitarium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WAA1lQ6vQ
>>
>>15973814
I meant the specific team of people that made the game also made manhunt, not just the company itself.
>>
>>15975267
Brah, I don`t think you anything about genres, or definitions, or like, the usage of literally (I`m bad with that too)
>>
> Manhunt

All the spooks with Piggsy being the most WTF moment!?

Who actually took the time to notice that Piggsy was naked and his dick was doing the old flip flop all throughout that fight?
>>
>>15975372
>tfw Pigsy hung dong!
>>
>>15975365
>>15975267
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_and_terror

To be fair, when using the video store analogy I was spot on. Thriller, suspense and horror are all usually grouped together there.

Also

>le April Fool's you just got trolled ecks dee XD
>>
>>15975372
I did. First fap of my youth actually.
>>
File: abyssdestiny.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
abyssdestiny.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>15971243

this.
and the first time you drop into the abyss in the Crota's end raid
>>
the part in Victoria 2 when UK declares war on you
>>
>>15975388
Your definition was paranormal means horror, which is wrong. And Manhunt is definitely a horror game, it's got a horror based atmosphere, horror based portrayal, it's probably the closest thing we'll get that successfully recreates a slasher atmosphere, except the normie is the killer the weirdo are all the victims he goes through in the night.

I mean it's gameplay is action, but it's also puzzle solving, like Resident Evil is a horror game but it's gameplay is action, exploring, puzzle solving and whatever.

I don't know, people are on the money with Hitman's ghost easter egg, but saying Manhunt isn't a horror game is kind of reaching. And I don't knwo where people get this idea that Thrillers are like sophisticated horror films, they're just movies that focus on HOW the person is going to get through this, as opposed to mysteries which is when the person needs to find out WHY instead of knowing everything and trying to overcome.
>>
>>15975402
lol'd
>>
Ous this REAL or April fools joke??
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaDC36Ph5Q
>>
File: 0.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
Bloodmire Manor in Dark Alliance 2, homie.
Rest of the game is pretty chill.
But this level...
>>
>>15975403
Lots of this is fogged up by genre mixing, but you are right.

I guess as long as they park Silence of the Lambs next to Child's Play, it'll further muddy the waters.
>>
>>15975434
This is true, I find Silence Of The Lambs to be like a drama at it's core, with layers of both mystery and thriller elements layered on top, but for some reason a lot of people tend to think of it as a horror film because audiences back then probably didn't know how to take such a widely revered, wildly released, and yet disturbing/dark type of film that it's all they had. It's kind of been cleared up now with all those Ashley Judd Alex Cross films coming out in the late 90s setting the tone for these procedural mysteries. And to add a contrast to those type of "real world" disturbing films, we have realistic, grounded in reality but obviously still horror-based films like Wolf Creek, Hostel, and High Tension.

Yeah, the water is fucking muddy.
>>
>>15973127
Yeah, half life 2 had this weird jarring vibe to it, there's also one map that's explicitly meant to be spoopy, the ravenholm level.
>>
File: 1363975388800.jpg (19KB, 351x359px) Image search: [Google]
1363975388800.jpg
19KB, 351x359px
>>15975047
>mfw played Malk my first time through the game
>>
File: creepcall.png (299KB, 554x341px) Image search: [Google]
creepcall.png
299KB, 554x341px
Those creepy ass phone calls you'd get in The Sims. And then the music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4djJULQHnR0
>>
playing sinistar as a kid where he starts attacking you

>"DIE MORTAL!"
>>
>>15971243
>>15975391
Hearing Sepiks Prime exploding for the first time is like a fucking jumpscare
>>
File: 93f2XgY.jpg (113KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
93f2XgY.jpg
113KB, 640x480px
>>
>>15975482
>>15975482
Horror in alien movies stay in sci-fi. Add Jason and Predator turns into Friday the 13th with special forces dudes.

You never see Alien in the traditional horror genre.

It's Sci-Fi and yes fucking science!! ...then after you contemplate the universe and shit in space, then you can appreciate a monster killing people.
>>
>when you kill Three Dog and you can hear him on the radio for a while afterwards
>>
>>15973982
Second one as well if you know where to look.
>>
>>15976458
I actually was just playing it earlier for the first time in a while, and at a certain point in the airboat section I saw him walking across a catwalk into a door just as you drive by
So I take it back, I just never noticed him
Do you know of any other spots where you can see him?
>>
>>15976409
>killing Three Dog
I hope you like living with the knowledge that you're a pleb.
>>
>>15976494
In EP1 there's a part where if you go the wrong direction (from where it looks like you should be going anyway) he pops up on a small TV for a few seconds along with some weird music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1usq2s_2F2A
>>
>>15976391
You sound high.
>>
>>15975913
still feel a bit uncomfortable with this shit
>>
>>15972064
>scary parts in otherwise non-horror games
cant you fucking read
>>
>>15976953
are you implying it isn't scary?
because >opinions
and if you're suggesting HL2 is a horror game then you're objectively wrong
>>
>>15976959
of course it's a horror game, you can't just ignore the ambience and plot just to make your point valid
>>
>>15976977
it's a sci-fi fps
not horror
>>
>>15976983
It's a horror, get over it.

DICK BUTT
>>
>>15970893
YES OP. I loved that game.
I remember being so freaked out in that house.
>>
>>15977018
Not that guy but both are mainly action sci fi. It's got horror elements but that's like saying Halo is a horror game cause the flood are part of the entire second half of the game.
>>
>>15975810
wasn't it great
>>
>>15977055
yes but I wish I had saved it for my second time through
A lot of their dialogue heavily hints at spoilers and stuff you otherwise wouldn't have noticed
Luckily it's vague enough that it won't give anything away on the first time through
>>
File: 1427695055392.png (294KB, 520x437px) Image search: [Google]
1427695055392.png
294KB, 520x437px
>>15977018
>>
>>15971824
Burning the book from the dlc was creepy as fuck, you can also hear voices whispering the names of elder gods and shit if you turn up the speakers.
>>
>>15971575
Fuck those antlions,first time I played I didn't know you had to run from the big ones and ended up crouching in a tunnel wasting my ammo taking pot shots at em.
>>
tumblrweed from red dead redemption scared the everloving fuck outta me
>>
File: husk480poster.png (205KB, 480x354px) Image search: [Google]
husk480poster.png
205KB, 480x354px
I actually got creeped out by some of the aliens in Mass Effect.
>>
>>15977190
i shit myself when i encountered my first banshee in ME3
>>
>>15977203
I used to be shit scared of banshees until I noticed they had glowing nipples. Then they went from scary to kinda goofy looking.

still don't like looking at them too long, though
>>
>>15977190
>>15977203
>>15977207
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: Forest_Temple_Entrance_Hall.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Forest_Temple_Entrance_Hall.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU
>>
This thread is shit
>>
Okay so near the end of Pyschonauts is this part where you go through an abandon asylum. This shit frightened the fuck out of me when I was a kid. They did a really god job of making you unsure that you're being stalked by someone as you progressed higher and higher up.
>>
>>15971175
>sarcophagus
man that shit was like: sadness, fear, anxiety, curiosity, vanity. All that shit together, and there is no turning back once you there
>>
>>15973646
This
Holy crap this.
>>
>>15977219
fuck those wall hand niggers

used to fly through the flip room at the speed of light to avoid them
>>
>>15971213
>Postal 3
We don't say that name in this house.
>>
File: 1406706840327.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1406706840327.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>15976409
>>
>>15971124
>>15971152
Anyone got recommendations for spooksy areas from any of the elder scrolls games?
>>
>>15973597
This makes me want to play martian gothic really bad.
>>
>>15974838
That still work?
>>
The first time I entered a Sixth House shrine in Morrowind, knowing very little of lore so I had no idea what the fuck all these red candles, black banners and tentacle beasts were about.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
This severed head lying around in a corner of a quake 3 map. It was supposed to be a fun easter egg, apparently it's one of the devs or something. And I mean the game had the gibs and blood everywhere and all, but it's always just ghouls or robots or aliens you shoot, this guy and his modern day glasses gave me the fucking creeps when I first stumbled upon this.
>>
File: the library.jpg (120KB, 1600x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the library.jpg
120KB, 1600x1024px
>>15971221
>>
The first Scarecrow encounter in Batman: Arkham Asylum was pretty unsettling. Quiet whispers from the morgue, a never ending series of morgues, pretend game glitches and forced game overs, replaying the opening scene with Batman tied up in a straight jacket. All high quality spoops where I wasn't looking for them.

Also, The Sorrow's boss battle in MGS3: Snake Eater. Spooky music, spooky ghosts, spooky sounds and images, and you have to kill yourself and get a game over to continue the game.

While we're on Metal Gear, let's look at Raiden's time on Arsenal Gear in MGS2. From the point that the Colonel AI starts to wig out is the point that my arsehole puckers. That guy is deeply unsettling. Up to that point you've been playing a special ops agent battling terrorists. You've met the legend Solid Snake who has quickly changed sides and given you up to the terrorists.

Then your CO gets on the telephone and tells you it's all been a simulation, you've been playing too long and turn off the console. Your girlfriend gets in on it before they start spouting spooky gibberish. You're locked naked in a freezing cold corridor that may well be your grave and your CO is a skeleton telling you about the time he was abducted by aliens.
>>
>>15971221
>>15971233
>>15978207

>Regenerating health, floaty bouncy castle physics, colourful lego-marines and big guns in space
>Scary

Grow up xbabbys. Try playing a real horror game like Amnesia. Pssh nothing personnel kid
>>
>>15973477
YES. first time I encountered that piano when I was like 7 or so, it got me so fucking good that I would refuse to even go to big boos haunt.
after my first encounter with those surprise bombs, though, sm64 just became a paranoid nopefest for me. I wouldn't even leave the game unpaused for fear that something horrific would happen to Mario if I left him sleeping too long.
>>
fucking "core" lvl in crysis made me jizz out of my nose
>>
>>15977067
i have a feeling this aron is going to start talking to me... i should think of something smart to say first... whys he looking at me that way?... wait im talking and this isn't in my head... denial.
the dialog in this game is the best ever written
>>
I've always found that isolation in games is the scariest thing. Horror games just don't do anything for me because the scares are supposed to happen. But whenever i'm playing a game, especially one that seems to be very innocent (the Animaniacs game for ps2 is my prime example of this) when there is no one around in a fairly vast landscape or the world feels particularly empty (also seen in the forests in GTA SA) this disturbs me to no end. Am I the only one?
>>
Walk around arma3 epoch at night, the dark doesnt do its own justice.
>>
I got scared shitless escaping from Dahaka in Prince of Persia but I don't remember which one it was.
>>
>>15971118
>wandering through the countryside forest
>didn't know about the "ghost cars", which spawn beaten up and on top of a hill so they roll
>one comes right at me
>I look, no driver, no lights
>lose my shit
>>
>>15978914
Look for the suicidal photographer. He's by the ocean and takes a quick picture before walking down into the water and drowning.

Rockstar put a lot of weird shit in SA with no explanation.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 460x298px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 460x298px
I'm 35 and when I was 14/15, I used to be scared of this motherfucker here.

Fuck goro and his whole fucking family.
>>
>>15978298
but amnesia isn't scary
>>
>>15978290
I NEED SCISSORS. SIXTY ONE!
>>
i know this is probably the most autistic post in this thread but my first time playing minecraft nd night time rolled around i actually shat bricks. i thought it was a game about making shitty little huts and killing pigs. this was before there was much info on it too, like way back in the alpha
>>
>>15978290
what freaked me out was the hidden prompt to look on the river bank after the nuke goes off.
you can see sorrows dead body washed up on the shore, i fucking poo'd
>>
File: 1427868295906.jpg (105KB, 739x742px) Image search: [Google]
1427868295906.jpg
105KB, 739x742px
>>15979174
>>
>>15971213
Shame Postal 1 controls make the game almost unplayable. Tank controls in an isometric shooter, the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>15971327
>Is anybody familiar with the original xbox supposedly playing weird music or saying your name while in 'stand by' mode? I heard something like that recently.

Complete bullshit.

What people are talking about is the "speech" you hear if you leave it on the dashboard for over 10 minutes. You hear a weird robot sound after a while. It's pretty neat.

>What is it?

Microsoft going for the futuristic style: It's the voice recordings of astronauts under a heavy filter. It's entirely intentional and not at all SPOOKY.
>>
>>15978372
just lazy devs lol...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5suiSLsJSQ

Zelda has a lot of creepy bits
>>
File: 1420227593545.jpg (616KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1420227593545.jpg
616KB, 1280x800px
>>15972824
Make sure you "accidentally" flashbang your team.
>>
>>15978298
lol, calling people babies then recommending a shitty jumpscares game

Reason why the flood was so terrifying in the first halo game was because the place where you first experience them is an area that's easy as fuck to get lost in.
>>
>>15979834
See
>>15979292
>>
>>15978372
Happens to me all the time too, I think that's why Traverse Town creeped me out so much when I was younger
>>
File: 1348764844816.png (2KB, 244x226px) Image search: [Google]
1348764844816.png
2KB, 244x226px
>>15979840
>>
>>15979498
I could make a list:

First encounter with Queen Gohma.
The ReDeads.
Most part of the Shadow Temple (Dead Hand included).
The Bottom of the Well.
The original islamic chant at the Fire Temple.
The Forest Temple eerie theme.
The WallMasters.
The Floormasters.
The Skulltulla house was kinda spoopy.

Personally, I wasn't scared but most of the previous things as a child, but I remember that the Spirit Temple used to give me nightmares, and I don't know why.
>>
File: ecco the dolphin.jpg (24KB, 418x310px) Image search: [Google]
ecco the dolphin.jpg
24KB, 418x310px
>>
>>15970893
That last level thing for fable 2, where you were suck in a seeming paradise with your dead sister for what could be an eternity... Reminded me of a book, The thief of always; it tricked newcomers into staying forever in bliss until the house eventually turned dark and twisted and ...
>>
File: 555.gif (555KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
555.gif
555KB, 555x555px
>>15974232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjejTiRoOgk

Go to 1:00
>>
File: 1427758170268.jpg (106KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
1427758170268.jpg
106KB, 640x580px
Ok, so after reading this thread last night, and also hearing about Condemned from sooooo many different people I got it from Steam tonight.

Now, im not trying to be 2spoopy4u, and maybe this something that was scary back in 2005 when it was a 'first of its kind' thing, but...Im not getting any tension or spoops from this in the LEAST. I dont know if that other games have upped my ante over the years, or its the mood im in, or what...but so far its really bad game mechanics plus crackheads with 2x4's. I can go down the street and play this IRL. Do I have to just roll with it and it gets better 4 or 5 hours in? I want to like this but....shits weak' yo. Why u do dis /x/?
>>
File: o shit its a bear.jpg (27KB, 800x457px) Image search: [Google]
o shit its a bear.jpg
27KB, 800x457px
>>15981614
Second one is better imo
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.