[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting 144hz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: image1.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
I own an Acer GN246HL
My computer doesnt respond to any other port besides HDMI.

So in order to get my 144hz, I bought a DVI to HDMI cord

I get pic related

Why is this cord not compatible ?
>>
File: DVI-I vs. D.jpg (74KB, 643x374px) Image search: [Google]
DVI-I vs. D.jpg
74KB, 643x374px
>>377882
>Why is this cord not compatible
Because DVI has either one or two links and HDMI only has one.

Your monitor needs two links ("dual link DVI"), and a DVI/HDMI adapter can't make a second link on your HDMI port appear.

>>377884
>>377889
There's no solution to this problem as stated, so I suggest you keep your $10 and spend it on something you like.
>>
File: 20811.jpg (121KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
20811.jpg
121KB, 1200x901px
>>377892
would a HDMI to DVI adapter work?

pic related
>>
What video card you have?
>>
File: no.png (46KB, 909x663px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
46KB, 909x663px
>>377911
No, you need a dual-link DVI cable and a dual-link DVI port.
>>
>>377915
amd RX480
>>
>>377917
Okay, I have my dual link connected but when I changed the input on my monitor, it goes back to HDMI

This is what i meant by my computer wont respond to anything but HDMI
>>
ALl right OP. I'm the guy who was helping you at first in the other thread. I don't know too much about video but does your videocard have displayport?. I'm not sure if what I'm reading says that you can get a displayport to DVD adapter. Not sure if that's possible. Researching some more.

>>377922

I'm a bit confused by you saying "your computer won't respond". Your computer sends signal out. You mean your monitor won't respond?.
>>
>>377923

*displayport to DVI
>>
>>377923
Not sure either way it goes but I plug in a
VGA= unresponsive
DVI= unresponsive
>>
>>377924
Pretty sure display port dont work either
>>
>>377926
It does, but you need a $100 active dual-link adapter, not a $10 passive one.
>>
>>377926
>>377930

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-Adapter-1920x1200/dp/B004SUO1GM

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Active-Adapter/dp/B004071ZX0

These are $30 bucks. Not sure if this is what he needs or not (to me it looks like it is). If it isn't why isn't this what he needs.
>>
>>377930
goddamit any idea why my pc just wont allow my DVI TO DVI instead of HDMI
>>
>>377935

Why don't you just use HDMI?
>>
>>377937
I do. But it doesnt give me 144hz
>>
>>377938

aaah ok I see. Yeah, looks like you'll just be better off getting a new card if you really need 144 hz.
>>
>>377933
>If it isn't why isn't this what he needs.
They're both single-link, which means they're both just an expensive way of duplicating the $5 HDMI/DVI dongle OP already has.

Why are you posting in this thread when you don't know stuff like this?

Put yourself in OP's shoes: how would you feel if you wasted $30 on a useless adapter?
>>
>>377939
ah, so its my card and not monitor?

I thought my sht was good
>>
>>377941

To help OP research and also learn for myself. If this bothers you then fuck you.
>>
>>377942

The other threads in other forums I see people with the same issue and there are others suggesting that it would make more sense to get a different card. This is obviously if you ABSOLUTELY NEED/REQUIRE 144 hz.
>>
>>377942

480 is a good card tho. That's what kills me. Even I know a 480 is pretty good. I mean it's not a 1080 but damn, when it comes to suggestions 480s are highly suggested.
>>
>>377942
The problem is that they're from different eras.

Your card can do 144Hz over displayport just fine.
Your monitor can do 144Hz over DVI just fine.

There doesn't exist an adapter to connect the two that's economical and reliable. Which is sad, but this is the case for a lot of situations like this.

>>377947
>480 is a good card tho. That's what kills me. Even I know a 480 is pretty good.
Some 480s have dual-link DVI ports and some don't. Maybe you know someone you could swap with?

>>377944
>and also learn for myself
Using OP's wallet? You're a real nice guy.
>>
>>377949
>Some 480s have dual-link DVI ports and some don't. Maybe you know someone you could swap with?

I plug my DVI into the back of my tower.
>>
>>377952
Post a pic of the back of your tower and the plug you plug into it.
>>
File: image1.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
>>377954

I spoke to the people I bought my PC from

They said that my computer would responds to HDMI and display port for some bs reason

My monitor doesn't have a display port.
Will a HDMI to display port work or am i fucked?
>>
>>377985
Those two won't work because they're on your motherboard and connected to your onboard graphics.

You need to use a port on your RX480, and from your photo, those all appear to be displayports.

There are RX480s with DVI, but yours doesn't appear to be one of those.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.