[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop / 2-in-1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: twonone.jpg (31KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
twonone.jpg
31KB, 500x379px
I need to pick out a 2-in-1 Laptop for my mom. She'd be using it to browse Facebook, pay bills, watch Youtube, etc.
I know that for this, she doesn't need an i7 with 16gb of RAM. But I don't know what she needs. Can Windows 10 run smoothly on 4gb of RAM? I would imagine not but I truly don't know.

I think an i3 or an i5 with 8gb of RAM would be ideal. We've gone to a nearby Best Buy and she mentioned how she liked 13.3" and 14" screens. 15.6" was okay, but 11" was a bit too small. Thoughts? Recommendations?
>>
I have a Surface Pro 4 and that thing is powerful as fuck, although it's small it's touchscreen and you can buy a cheap bluetooth keyboard for it. It's a really simple computer for normies.

It runs fucking Dark Souls, somehow.
>>
File: 1468447804269.jpg (144KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1468447804269.jpg
144KB, 1280x800px
Toshiba Encore 2 10-Inch Windows Tablet, 32GB (WT10-A32)

been using this to run win10home (32bit version tho). wish i got the encore 2 write version so i could use photoshop with a stylus (currently need to plug in a graphics pad).
>>
>>218027
Wow! Is 1GB RAM really enough?
>>
>>218032
>>218027
I thought Windows alone needed 1GB RAM?!
>>
File: 1478691938720.jpg (148KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1478691938720.jpg
148KB, 1280x800px
i mostly use it for looking at pdfs
>>
Windows 10 runs on machines with 2GB of RAM lad, it should be fine.
>>
File: 1478692240304.jpg (62KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1478692240304.jpg
62KB, 800x1280px
and its a tablet so can rotate (res is 1280x800)
>>
>>218039
"boots" is not the same as "runs".

Windows 10 with 2GB is absolutely dire.
>>
>>218055
No, no it's not. I literally have experience with it myself and manufacturers actually make devices with Windows 10 on them that come with 2GB of RAM. They've been doing this since Windows 8.
RAM won't be the issue
>>
>>218073
>>218055
Yeah, so do I.

2GB is not enough to run anything on Windows 10; it is already thrashing by the time it shows the desktop, and simply opening a web browser gets you gray windows, "X is not responding", and stuff drawing itself as you watch.

2GB. is. not. enough. memory. for. Windows. 10.
>>
>>218154
Typing. Like. This. Doesn't. Make. You. Right.

Look, if you have a shit machine, that's on your machine. The fact of the matter is, devices with 2GB RAM running Win10 are very very common on the market and actually really popular, which they simply would not be if they truly ran the way you're describing.
These machines are literally targeted for people like OP's Mum, who simply want to use it for casual use.

I really don't know why you're so intent on debating facts here, just watch a review or two on one of the huge variety of products available with limited RAM running Win10
>>
>>218281
By definition, if it has 2GB, it is a shit machine. Any machine that comes with 2GB and Windows 10 is a shit machine, because Windows 10 needs more than 2GB, and will not run acceptably with 2GB. You could put a Xeon in it, and it would still run like shit.

Just because someone sells something, that doesn't mean it's performant or useful. OEMs have spent decades selling stupid people shitty machines with hardware that's not even remotely appropriate. You might remember the "Vista Ready" PCs. You probably don't remember the 4MB Windows 95 machines.

"An OEM ships this configuration" is about as far from an endorsement of it as it is possible to get. They're in the business to make money, and if by making something that's as cheap as possible whilst still technically being a PC, they can sell to a stupid, stingy person they otherwise couldn't, then that's exactly what they'll do.

Windows 10 does not fit in 2GB. Windows 10 uses more than 2GB just to boot to the desktop, and your experience of trying to actually run a program on Windows 10 with 2GB is going to be awful. OEMs sell these machines, because they know stupid people will buy them, and not realise their experience is being ruined for want of a $10 part.
>>
>>218334
Manufacturers are out to make money, they're not going to do that making shite tier machines that can barely function and struggle to even launch a program in 2016. Nor would those products have any remote success for other manufacturers to follow suit.

The argument isn't that "they make it so it must be good!", but rather they find success so they obviously have a steady userbase. A userbase that may not know much about PC's, but will know enough to realise their product is absolute ass and not working right. They get decent reviews too, but I doubt you give a toss about that.

There's someone in this very thread who posted their machine with 1GB RAM. I myself had a Windows 8 tablet that I upgraded to Windows 10 that ran more than fine for normie use and that was a bloody intel Atom processor with a fanless design. I really don't know where you've got this notion that Windows 10 won't function on 2GB RAM from, but it seems I won't convince you otherwise since you already dispute facts

These are the minimum specs
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

But again, they're lost on you since you'll just claim it'll only boot but won't run well.

OP, if you want a second opinion, try using Google, or even >>>/g/sqt
>>
>>218358
>I myself had a Windows 8 tablet that I upgraded to Windows 10 that ran more than fine for normie use and that was a bloody intel Atom processor with a fanless design.
You're posting from one right now? What a coincidence. I just fired up a cheap shitty Windows 10 machine to see if it'd magically gotten better overnight.

It has Windows 10.
It has 2GB.
It's a "bloody intel Atom processor with a fanless design".

If you're right, it should be an acceptable computing experience, right?

But it's not.

It took (I timed it) FIVE MINUTES to get from the logon screen to a point where there was a one single functioning browser window, that could actually be interacted with, and had actually loaded a page. This was five minutes that simply wouldn't have needed to happen on a machine that was an appropriate design for Windows 10.

And when we look at Task Manager we see why: Windows 10, plus one single Chrome tab, needs more than 2GB, and the machine is thrashing.

4GB, A lousy 4GB, that retails for a mere $20 , is all you need to make Windows 10 function properly. Skimp on it at your peril.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.