[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: historical revisionism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

post things that people who were born after the fact say

pic somewhat related
>>
In what way? I haven't been keeping up on /v/ autism.
>>
>>4208245
What about metal sonic? I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>4208251
>>4208252
>>4208245
>pic somewhat related
he's waving his finger, you know, like "that's wrong"?
>>
>>4208245
I don't think "revisionism" is the right word. It's more just underage and hipsters that are parroting an eceleb. It's lost on a lot of people that few people were playing games in the 80s/90s compared to the 00s/10s. Even fewer people that actually had consoles, played on PC, and arcades.

The basics are basically gone these days. You can see it on /vr/ frequently.
>>
>Anything after Monkey Island 2 is illegitimate and non-canon
>Baby Mario makes Yoshi's Island unplayable
>Nobody called it PSX
>>
>>4208260
The "nobody called it PSX" thing drives me crazy.
Yes, we did. We even had a PSX magazine.

You think we called it "PS1" when there wasn't a 2?
>>
>classic sonic games didn't have a story
>pc gaming didn't catch on till 90's
>>
>>4208291
i called it play but my mother language is spanish
>>
>>4208292
Shareware DID make PC gaming a lot more prominent, though.
>>
>>4208305
>i called it play
same, but I guess saying something like "wanna play the play" sounds stupid in english
I also bought the psx magazines, but saying "play" or even "playstation" sounded better than "pe es iks" to me
>>
>>4208291
>Been gaming since the early 90s
>Still can't remember how I abbreviated the PS1 before the PS2 came out
>>
>>4208319
I can admit that much, but, particularly in europe, pc gaming had been a standard thing for far longer.
>>
>>4208260

>Anything after Monkey Island 2 is illegitimate and non-canon

Hate this shit. Curse is a brilliant game and remembered as a classic of the genre by almost everyone, what ideas Ron Gilbert had or didn't have for 3 really doesn't matter because he left the series. It's hardly 'non-canon' when he handed them the fucking keys. Though Escape I can definitely ignore and Tales is whatever.
>>
>>4208245
People who are born after something have a much more reliable input because they weren't brainwashed by nostalgia and popular fads from back then. Sonic CD is shit and me being born in February of 1999 doesn't make that "revisionism" it makes it an unbiased fact.
>>
File: ssc.png (172KB, 550x297px) Image search: [Google]
ssc.png
172KB, 550x297px
>>4208360
>>
>>4208260
>>4208291
>nobody called it PSX
How many people actually verbally called it that though? I wasn't big on forums or chat rooms before the PS2 was announced so I only knew of the PSX abbreviation from magazines and everyone I talked to whether it was kids at school, older teen/adult gamers, shop owners, etc just called it the "PlayStation", with some people throwing in "Sony" if they feel like emphasizing the brand since Sony was quality shit at the time. Even PSX magazine could be written off by people out of the loop as your standard "add X for XTREME" bullshit that was popular then.
>>4208331
The only used PS in the same way I used 64 even though PSX and N64 was more common in publications and technically correct.
>>
>>4208291
>You think we called it "PS1" when there wasn't a 2?

The PS2 was listed as PSX2 by many magazines, until it came out with huge "PS2" on the side.
>>
>>4208389
>The only used
Meant "I only used", don't want people mistaking that for an intended "they" otherwise it changes the tone of my statement.
>>
File: 1475409502612.jpg (254KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475409502612.jpg
254KB, 1440x1080px
>>4208360
>>4208392
This isn't irony is it...
>>
>>4208245
In AVGN's biased review of Sega Genesis vs Super Nintendo, he added the "Supa 8" in the argument for backwards compatibility, even though it was never an official device from Nintendo. He knew Sega was going to win, so he just threw that ugly thing in there.
>>
>>4208291
no, we just called it playstation, it didn't need any suffix at all
>>
>>4208291
I never heard anyone say PSX until semi-recently. It was called Playstation until the PS2 came out, at which point people started calling it the PS1.
>>
File: ok emoji cat.jpg (98KB, 743x800px) Image search: [Google]
ok emoji cat.jpg
98KB, 743x800px
>>4208360
>>4208392
An excellent series of posts, sir!
>>
>>4208516
I live in the part of the world who calls soda "pop". Therefore, no one ever called it soda.
>>
File: bunghole.jpg (328KB, 1426x674px) Image search: [Google]
bunghole.jpg
328KB, 1426x674px
>>4208516
No one ever said PSX during conversation however it was abbreviated that in text at the time so if you weren't paying attention to any video game magazines back then I don't blame you for never seeing it until recently.
>>
>>4208614
No one called it PSX except maybe seldomly online. If you were alive when it was popular you would know this.
>>
>>4208630
Exactly. People talking about it called it Playstation and the gaming mags were trying to force an XTREME meme. It was never used outside the internet and even then seldomly. Your pic is a perfect example.
>>
>>4208643
>and the gaming mags were trying to force an XTREME meme
No they just stuck with the codename Sony gave it because it looked nicer to have it abbreviated with three letters to keep it consistent with the other consoles out during that time. But yeah you'd have to be a total weirdo to say "PSX" out loud during conversation rather than "Playstation".
>>
File: IMG_1213.jpg (59KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1213.jpg
59KB, 500x378px
>>4208291
Calling it psx is dumb for a few reasons:
1: nobody still refers to any other console by its prototype name. Nobody still calls the GC the dolphin, or the Switch the NX, or the DC the katana.
2: there's now an actual PSX (that TiVo/PS2 system)
3: magazines called it that, so it must be right?

Also psx sounds really cheesy 90s kid edgy. I'll stick with PS1 thanks.
>>
>>4208661
>Also psx sounds really cheesy 90s kid edgy.
You're acting as if that's a bad thing.
>>
>>4208661
It's real simple actually.

>PSX
The original Playstation

>PS1
The smaller redesigned one

This alone is enough for the "PSX" to still have relevance even today.
>>
>>4208661
Nothing wrong with being edgy. Better than being some lonely nerdy basement dwelling virgin or a bearded hipster tool.
>>
>>4208770
No the smaller redesigned one is called psONE.
>>
>>4208479

Always loved how he showed SOR1 and called it clunky, and then went on to say Final Fight was better and showed the entire trilogy, but never SOR2 and SOR3. It was so biased lol.
>>
>>4208661
>1: nobody still refers to any other console by its prototype name
Yeah so? You gonna call the Console Naming Police or something? People call it whatever people want to call it.
>2: there's now an actual PSX (that TiVo/PS2 system)
That fucking nobody ever has a reason for talking about and nobody knew existed until some faggot ran into the wikipedia article while looking for shitposting ammunition.
>3: magazines called it that, so it must be right?
Magazines, gaming websites, forums. Just go look at the emulators: ePSXe, psxfin, psX, PCSX, notice something there?
>>
>>4208806 #
So what do you do during a verbal conversation?
>>
>>4208810
Yup. That's Nintendo fanboys for ya, they're so close minded and only look at one side of the fence.
>>
>>4208630
wow, meme arrows are older than i thought
>>
Too many instances to list, but people who got all their knowledge about how old computers worked from wikipedia and then get assblasted when you point out some quirk that would have broken whatever fantasy they're having at the time.
>>
>>4208389
I called it PSX because that's what the magazines said it was called. I assume everyone that actually read game magazines did they same.
>>
>>4208342
No, we had home computers. IBM PCs weren't popular.
>>
>>4208661
TiVo had nothing to do with that PSX.
>>
>>4208661
NES: A Nintendo
SNES: A Nintendo
N64: A Nintendo
SMS: A Nintendo
Genesis: A Nintendo
Saturn: A Nintendo
TG16: A Nintendo
Playstation: A Nintendo
The fucking AVS: A Nintendo
>>
>>4208876
NES: Nintendo
SNES: Super Nintendo
N64: Nintendo 64
SMS: You just made that up
Genesis: Sega
Saturn: The what now?
TG16: What?
Playstation: Playstation.

That's what people called them in actual conversations
>>
>the gaming market crashed and Nintendo saved it
>everyone used RF or composite
>nobody ever modified their systems
>Sega wasn't popular before the Genesis
>>
>>4208881
A buddy of mine had a SMS and have to convince a lot of people at school that Sega made a Sega before the Sega.
>>
>sonic was ever good
Biggest revisionist lie ever told.
>>
File: 1492694348720.jpg (3MB, 1400x4525px) Image search: [Google]
1492694348720.jpg
3MB, 1400x4525px
>duhuhuh psx isn't a real thing nobody said that xDDDD
>>
>>4208895
Not saying no one ever said that, nor am I even doubting it, but my friends and I all used to just say "playstation"
>>
>>4208892
Little did he know they made a computer and a console before the MS.
>>
>>4208895
Perhaps the PSX in itself is a Mandela Effect.
>>
>>4208926
I am from the psx timeline. We also often said playstation but would write put psx
>>
>>4208291
>You think we called it "PS1" when there wasn't a 2?
We called it a "playstation"

then we called the playstation 2 either a "playstation 2" or "PS1"

we never called the PS1 a PS1, and certainly never called either a PSX.

Some game magazines may have used "PSX" after both systems had come out, but personally i didn't encounter it until about 2005 when I started fooling around with emulating playstation on the PC
>>
>>4208934
see >>4208895
>>
>>4208897
Yes, and we all said "Nintendo Sixtyfour" too. Doesn't mean "N64" wasn't a thing.
>>
>>4208936
see
>Some game magazines may have used "PSX" after both systems had come out

Personally we never used it when talking about playstations. PSX is a written thing, mostly for magazines and the internet. Its not used in actual speech except by millenials
>>
>>4208934
>after
>>
>>4208331
I'm pretty sure we just called it PlayStation or Pee-Ess hombre
>>
>>4208934
Yeah, and game magazines were the only ones that called the Mega Drive "Mega Drive" instead of "Sega" too. Same thing.
>>
>>4208894
Same thing with Mario.
>>
>>4208305
>"Mami dejame jugar play"
Me after getting my "plastachon" taken away for whatever dumb shit I did kek. But to add to the discussion, I called it PSX when referring to the gray one, idk where I picked the name up from. Maybe from the manual? I honestly can't remember. But I stopped calling it PSX after trying to Google the og console back in 07 and only getting the Japanese PSX. I call it "they big gray one" when I'm talking to casuals.
>>
>>4208895
Thank you, I called it PSX because of the fucking gameshark
>>
File: GamePro_Issue085_August_1996-019.jpg (984KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
GamePro_Issue085_August_1996-019.jpg
984KB, 1280x1707px
>>4208940
Nobody said NES or SNES either. Those are just text based things made up by millennials too.
>>
>>4208305
Me and my friends too, with portuguese language.
>>
>>4209046
Disgusting monkey.
>>
>>4209071
imagine being so stupid that you criticize someone for being bilingual
>>
>>4209076
You are insufferable annoying double digit IQ retards who constantly feel the need to ramble about your country's culture and history which only exists in your imaginary fantasy worlds fabricated by your monkey brains. You are the worst shitposters of /int/ second only to Canadians. I have been to Rio in the Olympics, visit the so called white South Brazil and Sao Paulo, both are terrible. Brazilians can't talk, they yell. They throw garbage in the streets. Their showers are dangerous and you can't throw toilet paper in the toilet. Objectively speaking the second most repugnant nationality in the world, after India.
>>
>>4209080
so this is a /pol/ argument, huh
>>
>>4209083
forced meme~

>>>/int/
>>>/pol/
>>
>>4208291
we called it a playstation

also every nintendo console was just a nintendo (except gameboys which were gameboys)
>>
>>4208881
This, except the SNES and N64 were also just nintendos
>>
>>4208834
I whisper "ps" and then shout "ONE!".
>>
>>4208770
I can't tell if you're moving goalposts or splitting hairs.
>>
>>4208834
How often does this come up in verbal conversation lmfao. 100% of people will differentiate them by saying "the smaller one"
>>
>>4209184
>(except gameboys which were gameboys)
Why did they call it NDS instead of GameBoy DS?
I don't understand why would anyone drop the brand that was synonymous with handheld gaming.
>>
>>4208669
>>4208804
>there are people who actually like being edgy
I know this is 4chan, but geez...
>>
>>4208804
kek
I'm both.
>>
>>4209402
90s edge is hilarious how can you not love it?
>>
>SMB2 is not a real Mario game
>>
>>4209483
DID YOU KNOW it was Doki Doki Panic in Japan. Holy shit.
>>
>>4209401
It's such a terrible brand name too "DS"... What the fuck does it even mean?
>>
>>4209401
Because if the DS failed, they could just keep supporting the GBA, release a new Gameboy and write of the double screen touch screen thing as a failed experiment.
>>
>>4209401
Why the fuck is Gamecube "GCN" that shit is stupid
>>
>>4208934
>then we called the playstation 2 either a "playstation 2" or "PS1"
Nigga what. You're just making things up

>>4209042
I know for a fact that N.E.S. and S.N.E.S. were verbalized. PSX was written but never spoken though

In my youth we said "Sega" instead of Genesis because, in the US, what other Sega would we be talking about? No one had a damn Master System.
>>
>>4209046
Just "play"?
"Hey got that new Play game?" "I need a new Play controler."
Gotta tell ya...sounds weird. Are the words distinct for "Play" and "play"? I guess it would dbe THE Play though wouldn't it, not just Play alone. Still, seems like it would lead to confusion.
>>
>>4209490
What, for real? The general English speaking public thought it meant "dual screens" which makes perfect sense, but I heard it was originally intended to mean "developer's system".
>>
>>4208804
Being edgy doesn't help you avoid being either of the other two options, just look in a mirror and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>4208291
I remember magazine Top 10 charts calling it PSX, I thought that was the official name for it.

Everybody just called it Playstation, of course. But also knew that if you were looking for shit online, you might need to type "PSX" for short.
>>
NES was just called Nintendo by everyone.

SNES was called Super Nintendo almost all the time, at least in my part of the UK.

Pre-internet, we didn't need to shorten everything. PS1 was just called Playstation, even though it was listed PSX in databases and magazines.
>>
>>4208291
We called it the PlayStation, retard.
I didn't hear anyone in the UK where I used to live as a kid call it the PSX
>>
Never knew anyone who called N64 as just Nintendo.
>>
>>4208291
I clearly remember Nintendo Power calling it the PSX back when Megaman 64 was coming out.
>>
>>4209638
I guess you didn't read that my language is portuguese?
But yes, in this case "Play" would refer to "Playstation" and "jogar" would refer to "play".

"I need a new Play controler." would be a common sentece, "Hey got that new Play game?" not so much, but would still be used.

Saying "The Play" would usually be a reference to some specific console, like mine for instance. "The Play stoped working when I tried the second disc".
>>
>>4208929
I too am from the PSX timeline, so I remember typing PSX, as well as reading the initials PSX in magazines.

>>4208934
Not sure you would try emulating PS1 games on the PC, when many of the superior versions of their ports are found on PC like Resident Evil & Metal Gear Solid.
>>
>>4209402
I don't think you fully understand the benefits of being edgy. It actually gets me laid every single time. Women love men who look dark & mysterious.

Also if you've played Hatred on PC, you're a hypocrite. That game alone is edgy(not in a good way either).

>>4209413
So you admit to being a lonely nerdy bearded hipster tool basement dwelling virgin? Life must suck for you.

>>4209651
>Being edgy doesn't help you avoid being either of the other two options,

Except I'm neither one of those things I mentioned.

>just look in a mirror and you'll see what I mean.

When I look in the mirror, I see a real man who isn't afraid to be who he is, someone who attracts any kind of woman and has sex with them. Someone who refuses to conform to being a "normal" person.

The people I see as normal, is exactly what I said earlier. Which are either nerds who dwell in their mother's basement or they're bearded hipster tools who think it's cool to wear super tight pants, glasses and a stupid hat.

They usually hate on edgy people because these nerds or hipsters got picked on by edgy kids when they were younger. The reason why these nerds or hipsters got picked on is simple, they're tools.
>>
>>4209476
Yeah, but loving it sincerely?
>>4209804
>It actually gets me laid every single time.
Suuuuuuuuuuuure it does. Also, why the fuck would I play Hatred, when I could smear literal shit in my eyes?
>the rest of your post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1X8AyyEOG8
>>
File: PSX.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
PSX.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
>>4208291
The people who claim that started gaming with 6th gen and think they can change history by repeatedly posting the same "I didn't call it that" defense.
>>
>>4208360
You're literally younger than my niece, and she doesn't know shit about retro games. Anyone born after 1990 has no place trying to be a definitive source of information, since all they know is wikipedia and youtube.
>>
>>4210094
>one of the first games for the console, back when the working title for the first PlayStation was PSX
>THIS IS PROOF, PEOPLE
>>
>>4209627
Nintendo actually decided on that abbreviation, oddly enough.
>>
>>4210108
>I've been btfo so many times in this single thread that I have to greentext ad hominem with cruise-control
>>
>>4210123
That's weird, I didn't see you post any facts at all. Oh yeah, you greentexted a made-up quote, and now are claiming that the thing you pretended someone else said is somehow a fact that you posted. Wow.
>>
>>4208291
I wasn't born after the PlayStation but I just referred to it as that, my/the PlayStation.
>>
>>4210131
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console)#Development
>Sony's North American division, known as Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA),[24] originally planned to market the new console under the alternative branding "PSX" following the negative feedback regarding "PlayStation" in focus group studies. Early advertising prior to the console's launch in North America referenced PSX, but the term was scrapped before launch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_Racer_(video_game)
>Ridge Racer (リッジレーサー Rijji Rēsā) is a 1993 racing video game developed and published by Namco. It was initially released on the Namco System 22 arcade system board, and later ported to the PlayStation console, released in Japan in early-December 1994.
>>
>>4208389
>How many people actually verbally called it that though?

None that I remember, but the abbreviations people used while typing were usually different from what was spoken. e.g. S/NES vs super/ nintendo, psx vs playstation, gcn vs gamecube. Whatever was unambiguous while being quick and easy to speak tended to dominate, branding may have played a part as well, like the PSP was always officially presented as PSP and hardly ever as PlayStation Portable, ain't nobody gonna use the full version.
>>
>>4210224
I don't know about how sony or industry called it. But in north UK the game shops and people just called it the playstation. Then the Playstation 2(PS2 in casual convo) and with the 3rd one most people just used PS3 even the game shops.
>>
>>4210239
"PSX" was never the official term. They were going to call it that, but discarded because the focus group testers started pronouncing it "Pee Sex". There is an article of that in this very thread. PSX the magazine adopted the term because 1. Playstation Magazine was taken and 2. Sony gave up on the term PSX.
>>
>>4210239
Yeah, same shit happened over in the states, "PS2" has fewer syllables and is unambiguous so it caught on for conversation too, and they keep numbering the fuckin things so it's just become the norm to speak the abbreviation for sony's main console line.
>>
>>4210246
Yea i see. I personaly think it was side slang of the word. Generaly if i see someone say "PS1" and "PSX" i know what they are talking about 99% of the time.
The Jap PSX could not have been in those covos back in the day. As not many people in my area gave a rats ass about what was in japan at that time.
>>4210253
I think it was and still is a good thing. Imagine in the future if we have to say remember the Playstaion 6. It would sound quite jarring in a casual conversation so the PS6 would be a very good way to say it.
>>
>>4210262
>so the PS6 would be a very good way to say it.
The main problem with that is that you might sound like a South African saying "Pay his sex", but that might just be me worrying over nothing.
>>
>>4210275
>you might sound like a South African saying "Pay his sex"
Well i only sound like one when i am drunk m8 lulz. So i guess i have to avoid drunken online talk.
>>
>>4210072
>Sure it does.
It does. My long black hair, the boots, the leather jacket...it attracts all the women.

>why the fuck would I play Hatred
I don't know what kind of fucktard would play it, I was just making a point. The main character is a stereotype of an edgy person. People are brainwashed to believe that people like that character are mass murderers/shooters. I should have sued the studio for making that game, since the character closely resembles my likeness.

>Posting a video clip from Dragon Ball Z
Virgin confirmed.
>>
>>4208895
This picture should be a permanent sticky on the board, and calling it anything else should be a bannable offense.
>>
>>4208360
lol. My dog is older than you.
>>
File: 1497823002160.png (656KB, 720x695px) Image search: [Google]
1497823002160.png
656KB, 720x695px
>>4208360

>me being born in February of 1999

Holy shit get the fuck out. Why am I not surprised the guy making all the anti-Sonic CD threads and bringing it up out of nowhere in every thread is some snot-nosed kid?
>>
>>4208661
>Also psx sounds really cheesy 90s kid edgy
Confirmed for not being an actual 90s kid, so you're the tard OP is talking about.
>>
>>4211341

it's pretty funny.
the reason why so many oldfags hold a torch for Sonic CD was because few of us could actually play it during the day as it was on a completely unique system most of us didn't have. It was that one Sonic game that aluded us and we always dreamed of playing.

for newfags, it's the opposite. you can pick up Sonic CD on an iPhone. it's Sonic 3 & Knuckles that's the long desired Sonic game because that's not as easy to pick up and newfags are too retarded to use emulators.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.