[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Megaman Maker Countdown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: Fans Makes What Capcan't.jpg (273KB, 1351x659px) Image search: [Google]
Fans Makes What Capcan't.jpg
273KB, 1351x659px
somebody waiting for this?
>>
>>4121680
Can't wait to see this buggy shit fan game removed.

If you count them as real instalments, then you as well count rom hacks.
>>
I am looking forward to making lots of super fun levels that don't play like regular Mega Man levels. I feel like you have to get in on the ground floor and put something out within a couple of days or otherwise your work will get lost in a sea of levels that are full of spikes and the most unpredictable annoying enemy repeated till the sprite limit is reached.
>>
>>4121694
same.
>>
I'll download to see what this fuzz is about. It better has the Hadoken from Mega Man X in it.
>>
>>4121680
The constant spamming of this on board is very suspicious

and no, I don't care. There are level editors for every single NES MM game already, and you can actually play your stuff on real hardware with it.
So what's the point? because this mixes all the arts and enemies? Yeah, I can't wait for the fuckton of mish-mash levels that fix unfitting tiles together and have a different enemy type every step. The more freedom your level editor allows, and the more likely people will get lost in the sea of possibilities and miss the point of "Mega Man stages".
>>
also anyone serious and comitted enough about making his "MM fan game" or even just "stages" will either build his own fan game, or make his own romhack.

The only stages that are talked about from Mario Maker are the insane difficulty ones, and the ones that do anything but being a Mario stage (like that guy who created a calculator in the game)
>>
>>4121950
>So what's the point? because this mixes all the arts and enemies?
For one, the editor lets you design/test your levels on the fly, which makes level design an actually enjoyable process.

>>4121953
>also anyone serious and comitted enough about making his "MM fan game" or even just "stages" will either build his own fan game, or make his own romhack.
Yeah ok, let me spend the next 12 months of my life hacking Mega Man 4 that will ultimately be played all the way through by like ten people.

I'll make a map or two in this, spend a good twenty hours crafting each, and have my fill.
>>
>>4121968
>For one, the editor lets you design/test your levels on the fly, which makes level design an actually enjoyable process.

Testing with emulators is very fast. You can even set save state that will work even after you edited the place (you just need to leave and re enter the room to see the changes), not to mention fastforward, or editing the ram to test anything you want as well

>Yeah ok, let me spend the next 12 months of my life hacking Mega Man 4 that will ultimately be played all the way through by like ten people.

Nothing prevents you to use the romhacking level editors to make just a level or two, and release that, as long as you mention it's just a "one or two level hack". Some SMB3 hacks for instance only have 1 world.
Also Mega Man hacks download count goes from 500 to 50 000 and more, and that's on RHDN alone, not mentionning all the other places you could download them from.
If the number of players is what worries you, ultimately once the fad is over and between all the different levels this may have, it may not be played more than that.
>>
>>4122035
>Testing with emulators is very fast. You can even set save state that will work even after you edited the place (you just need to leave and re enter the room to see the changes), not to mention fastforward, or editing the ram to test anything you want as well
Mega Man must work differently than, say, Donkey Kong Country 3. When I was working on a level hack, I had to make a save before loading the stage, run all the way to the end, go back to the emulator and move an enemy one block over, save, reload, test it, run all the way to the end, repeat. It was insanely tedious.

>Nothing prevents you to use the romhacking level editors to make just a level or two, and release that, as long as you mention it's just a "one or two level hack". Some SMB3 hacks for instance only have 1 world.
True, but I would think unless the hack completely changes up the original (new assets and mechanics) people wouldn't care much about it. I can't imagine that many people would take the time to patch a rom for one level where sprites are just shuffled around.

>If the number of players is what worries you, ultimately once the fad is over and between all the different levels this may have, it may not be played more than that.
This is a great point. I'll look into Mega Man editors after this game dies off (or their servers get flooded with trash). Maybe the hacking tools have changed since the last time I've toyed around with them (early 2000).

Mega Maker releasing in 30 minutes.
>>
>>4122073
>Mega Man must work differently than, say, Donkey Kong Country 3. When I was working on a level hack, I had to make a save before loading the stage, run all the way to the end, go back to the emulator and move an enemy one block over, save, reload, test it, run all the way to the end, repeat. It was insanely tedious.

I think that depends on the emulator. When I was testing with Nestopia, I couldn't load a savestate of altering things in the editor, but with FCEUX it works.

FCEU X is GOAT for NES romhacking anyway.

>Maybe the hacking tools have changed since the last time I've toyed around with them (early 2000)

I don't even think there was a MM level editor in early 2000. Anyway look up MegaFLE X, there are things about it which may seem scary at first (like when you start dealing with the effect sprites in MM4-5 that switch palette and/or background graphics, or the stuff that changes enemy chr bank in MM4) but once you get the hang of it it's a very efficient editor.
Then, there is also a lot of documentation and other tools which can help, but not everything is on RHDN and some very useful stuff can only be found on Jap websites, which I had no trouble with using google translate.
>>
>>4122086
Anyway, sure using the romhacking editors will be harder than MM maker, but if you ask me it's much more satisfying to edit and play the original games, and see how they were made.
>>
>>4122091
The megaman engine is so simple anyway you could program a clone yourself in gamemaker with only a couple tutorials.
>>
>>4122086
Neat, thanks! MegaFLE X seems interesting, will look into it more in-depth. Same goes for FCEUX (I've been using Nestopia).
>>
>>4122098
Cool, if you have trouble with the editor, ask on romhacking general, I've used it a lot and I might be able to help >>3989831
>>
>>4121680
Nope
>>
File: mega maker.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mega maker.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>4121694
Here's a bug in the example level Aquatic Ruins.
>>
>>4122189
You got killed because you got crushed between the falling blocks and the one you were standing on.
Wild guess: maybe there is a code that checks if there is enough space to stand, and if there isn't it kills MM, for instance in case there are moving backgrounds or things that can crush you (I know for a fact that's how it works in MM3/4/5 for instance).

This being said, having those falling platforms, fall through sets of spikes AND ground, is a very ugly idea.

anyway I gave this a try, if you care about my first impressions >>>/vg/182747506
>>
Tried to make a level, after like 5 screens the game started running like absolute shit.

Also the lack of a 100-Mario Challenge equivalent is a bit lame.
>>
>>4122551
He's not using a trip though
>>
I think Mario Maker had a vitalizing effect on Mario romhacking. Maybe this does too.
>>
>>4122194
It's a fucking bug.

I just went throught to the top of a roof and got stuck. Don't those retards know you have to remove most game breaking bugs?

Or are they acclaim reborn?
>>
File: image.png (89KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
89KB, 768x672px
>>4122584
Some guy posted this and more.
>>
File: ok.png (467KB, 1284x710px)
ok.png
467KB, 1284x710px
>>4122194
>You got killed because you got crushed between the falling blocks and the one you were standing on.

Did you even watch the webm?
>>
I'm watching Toad play this on twitch right now, looks quite decent, haven't seen any major flaws as yet. Let's face it, even commercially released games have bugs. As long as they aren't happening continuously it's no biggie.

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Glitches
>>
Hope Capcom DMCAs this pile of shit.
>>
>>4123082
Doubt they will, they've done nothing about Ghosts 'n Demons. As long as the creator isn't charging money for it I think it'll be fine.

https://bonusjz.itch.io/ghostsn-demons
>>
>>4123085
Would asking for money to keep the servers alive get the creator in trouble?
>>
You guys should file bug reports, if possible. Even if they're being ignored now, you might be able to get more people to back you once it releases.
>>
>>4123135
They actually already have done that in the past.
Had a patreon for server costs.
They removed it though because a hoster contacted them and offered to host their content for free.
>>
File: disgust (1).jpg (104KB, 802x1000px) Image search: [Google]
disgust (1).jpg
104KB, 802x1000px
>Give fans tools to make levels in a classic game.
>neehehehehe i'm gonna make this level IMPOSSIBLE
>Nah bro i'ma speedrun that shit
>hey bruh i got wr
>OHHH SHIT HE GOT WR BRO DAMN HE COOL
>mfw

We could've had something cool, but it's just dick waving.
>>
>>4123195
what are you talking about
>>
I'd love to make a romhack, but I have no artistic ability and no one wants to look at vanilla assets.
>>
>>4123239
Most people who make romhacks have only autistic ability.
>>
File: Se.png (96KB, 1282x561px) Image search: [Google]
Se.png
96KB, 1282x561px
>>4123239
>I'd love to make a romhack, but I have no artistic ability and no one wants to look at vanilla assets.

You'd be surprised. I for one don't like the the majority of hacks that bring "new" graphics because most of the time it's done in a tasteless and mix stuff from other games which don't belong. And I know I'm not the only one.

I released a MM5 romhack a few months ago that barely changes graphics (I built some graphics to feel different but based on the game's tiles) and it got 450 downloads in a few months on RHDN alone. If you provide interesting level design and enemy placement, call it "classic" and "savestate free", people will play it, also because not everyone likes hacks full of BS difficulty.
Sure it won't get as many downloads as the most famous hacks but does that really matter?

as for graphics you can always very easily import some from other games if that's what you want. Also, building "new" looking graphics based on ones from the original game isn't as hard as I you think, I have no "artistic ability" either and I made these
>>
File: MegaMM.png (441KB, 789x606px)
MegaMM.png
441KB, 789x606px
>>4122601
That's not what happened
>>
>>4124161
Both happened, getting crushed by the block "teleported" him on the spike
>>
File: what did he mean by this.jpg (62KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
what did he mean by this.jpg
62KB, 500x490px
>>4124165
He has transcended normal death and reached mega-death.
Oh wait.
>>
>>4123195
>Fans don't know how to design video games
The last 15+ years of romhacks should have tipped you off.
>>
Does it include a music editor? I'd love to make my own MM music along with the levels
>>
>>4124328
>fan content is bad because it doesn't conform to my tastes

Do you or were you ever in the past an employee of Nintendo? Honest question.
>>
>>4124551
No, fan content is bad because fans aren't under the responsibility of needing to sell a product. That means there's nothing preventing them from throwing garbage anywhere when designing levels.
>>
>>4125028
And game designers can't throw garbage everywhere? Have you seen what happened to the X series? You're really just stopping yourself from playing a FREE game under the stupid idea that all fan content is bad.
>>
Can someone tell me how to get the music working?
>>
>>4125552
>And game designers can't throw garbage everywhere?
If they want to be successful, they can't. Actual thought needs to be put into their level design or else their games won't sell.

>Have you seen what happened to the X series?
Case in point, a series that started out with thoughtful level design but went full retard and thus ended up killing itself.

>You're really just stopping yourself from playing a FREE game under the stupid idea that all fan content is bad.
I have yet to play any full romhack (not translations, bugfixes, or restored content patches) that makes me want to play it instead of the original game. So yes, I am positing that all fan content is bad from empirical evidence.
>>
What's the best classic Mega Man level (including 9+10) and why is it your favorite?

I've slaving away on my stage in Mega Maker for 10 hours now, in the process of trashing 2/3rds of it and rebuilding it. My take so far is that the physics in MM are not conducive to tricky platforming (more annoying than fun) and to not add any instadeath areas until the player is already committed to beating the level. Which is why I think MM9 isn't very good: It's full with timed block jumps, large pits (with sudden enemies jumping out of them), and spikes you can't avoid until you have it down in your muscle memory.
>>
>>4121694
>>4123082
Why are you guys so against this fan game? Are you guys autistic? Or are you guys triggered romhackers?
>>
File: piracy on v.png (199KB, 808x1185px) Image search: [Google]
piracy on v.png
199KB, 808x1185px
>>4126418
Falseflagging.
>>
>>4126418
>triggered romhackers?

Romhackers aren't triggered by this, for many reasons. If anything, MMM will bring more people to classic MM romhacking, like Mario Maker did.
>>
i just want a gargoyle's quest maker please
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.