[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that of the many, MANY retro consoles out there, the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: N64-3.jpg (40KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
N64-3.jpg
40KB, 570x428px
Why is it that of the many, MANY retro consoles out there, the only ones that have managed to remain popular and command ridiculous prices (given how widespread they were) are the NES, SNES, N64 and gamecube? Most of the other retro consoles, and even most of Nintendo's other shit has kept a pretty low profile, even the shit that e-celebs talk about all the time like the Virtual boy. So why are those 3 4 so popular with normalfags?
>>
>normalfags
>>>/r9k/

Also, you clearly haven't checked prices for stuff like Sega Saturn, Neo Geo, Turbografx-16, etc.
>>
>>4109971
anon, none of those things were as widespread as nintendo's flagship consoles. can't you read?
>>
>>4109969
They look better on the shelf and offer nerd cred.
>>
>>4109969
cause dude best games of all time lmao
>>
>>4109980
So basically by "the many, MANY retro consoles out there...that were as widespread as Nintendo's flagship consoles" you mean the Atari 2600? Or Mega Drive / Genesis? Or are you talking about more modern consoles?

Nintendo has the mainstream appeal plus the fact that they were always the "kids console" probably leads to them having stronger nostalgia appeal for most people.

Personally, I've managed to have relatively high happiness levels at every point in my life that I can bang out a nostalgia trip on about anything.
>>
>>4110072
the point is that Nintendo's consoles are pretty much the only ones that have managed to stay relevant and popular with kids/hipsters (see the NES mini) NOT that they were the only popular consoles of all time.
>>
>>4110092
Except how you discounted consoles that were not as widespread as the most widespread consoles, so practically everything retro other than VCS and (arguably) MD. Now you're moving the goalposts on popularity to only be about popularity with kids and hipsters. I don't really care that much about what's popular with kids and hipsters but if you want to talk about ridiculous prices those are certainly not limited to Nintendo platforms. In fact, the value of rarer items is more likely to remain constant than that of more popular but also more common stuff which always gives advance warning the bottom falling out.
>>
>>4110116
it's not hard: "why is it that of all the consoles that have been popular, Nintendo consoles are the only ones that have managed to remain popular (typically with kids and hipsters)?"

NOT

"why are retro consoles so expensive"
"why are retro consoles that were popular so expensive"
"why are nintendo consoles the only consoles that are expensive"
"why are nintendo consoles the only popular consoles ever"
>>
>>4109969
Because whatever an underage frogfag believes is true?

>>4109980
>can't you read?
Irony: The Post
>>
>>4110216
>underage frogfag
Projecting: The Post
>>
I'm mostly interested in Sega Master System since I grew up with one, and I'm kinda happy most of the games and consoles are cheap.

I played the SNES at my friends, but I'm not going to buy them because they're so fucking expensive.
>>
>>4110136
Well I think I answered it. Nintendo has had the longest run as "the name in video games" plus on top of that, Nintendo has always been the console for kids to play which generally results in stronger nostalgia
>>
>Irony II: The Quest for (You)s
>>
>>4110092
Make your mind already shitposter.
Is your boogeymen kids/hipsters or normalfags?
>>
>>4110313
same thing
>>
The feeling I get from old Nintendo stuff is that:

SNES is big with nostalgia types and hipsters, as is N64

NES has some of this too, but seems to pull in more of the collector and investor types than the SNES or N64

Is this assessment wrong?
>>
>>4110317
No, a normalfag wouldn't waste time with older video games, or with video games at all.
A hipster (like you) would spend time bitching about ebay prices and getting angry at Nintendo for being popular.

So, make your mind, what's the boogeymen, normalfags, or hipsters like you?

Kids don't really manipulate money, so they're out of the question. They're kept busy watching minecraft on youtube, like you did a few years ago.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.