[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CRT/ Thread - Fat Aliens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 100

File: IMG_20170422_222613.jpg (4MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170422_222613.jpg
4MB, 4096x3072px
>>4072351
This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+ Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP) : http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x (embed)
An Anon's Guide to CRT Hunting : http://pastebin.com/H9H9L2LQ (embed)
An Anon's Guide to differentiating Video Monitors : http://pastebin.com/pQX4N6gZ (embed)
General Purpose CRT Adjustment Guide : http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/guide_setup_adjust_arcade_monitors_v1.2.0.pdf
S-Video Pasta : http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W (embed)
BKM-10R Protocol Information : http://pastebin.com/aTUWf33J (embed)

/crt/ Discord Server : https://discord.gg/EFWPCYE

Thread Survey : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1HF1jPaNTZDupCn_GGtFuB3DxW5WFFd3yT4znmLA_cuU5oA/viewform
Collaborative Consumer CRT Project Survey : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3_OraDPRRN_OzQ4r_-CqoNPR9J0r2KtFrpV6iuXdxM3DDJg/viewform
>>
File: kvtv.jpg (130KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
kvtv.jpg
130KB, 1200x900px
>>4093218
I posted this in the last thread... Sony 20-inch KV model fs in my area. 50$. Mind you, I wasn't going to pay that... was looking to pay more like 25$. Would that be fair? And the anon who called me a summer kid can kindly fuck off.
>>
>>4093227
Free or leave it for the scrapyard.
>>
>>4093227
Also a PVM-14N5U for 80. Again, don;t know if that's worth it. Just looking for a smaller-ish tube to put in front of my bed for vidya fun.
>>
>>4093227
Ignore the trolls. $25 is still too much to be paying for a no-component set from 1991. Offer him 5 or 10 and see what he says, but that's only if you really really want that set. If I were you I would hold out for a more modern set that's going to have less hours and possibly component.

As for the PVM, it's an N5 which isn't going to give you the PVM experience. It's got composite and S-Video as well as a crappy mono speaker. Again, if you really want it and you can get it for $10 or less go for it but I would hold out.
>>
>>4093240
Ok. I'll lowball both. Thanks anon.
>>
>>4093248
Though the ads been up for 5 days for the pvm, so I doubt hes gonna go anywhere near 10 bucks.
>>
File: IMG_20170701_112305668_HDR.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_112305668_HDR.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
Got this toshiba today, couldn't find a model number but it has s video and a bunch of inputs
>>
>>4093257
Is that a dirty sock on top of your wii? Nasty
>>
>>4093280
Wii U, to block the leds at night
>>
File: $_271.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
$_271.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
Sorry, posted in another thread. How's the Sony 32" - Model KV-32HSR10?
>>
>>4093335
Rule of thumb is fishbowls with a black frame generally aren't that great.
>>
>>4093336
lolwut.
It's not even a fishbowl
>>
>>4093343
You posted the wrong pic then.
>>
>>4093347
That's a flat trinitron, but not an FD trinitron, so it's vertically flat but not entirely flat. It's not a fishbowl, those aren't flat in any dimension. The layman name is barrel tubes or something similar.
>>
>>4093350
The point is it's curved...
>>
>>4093351
curved is good
>>
>>4093351
Yes, but you called it a fishbowl which it is not.
>>
>>4093352
Not when looking at consumer TV sets.
>>4093353
Yes it's literately not a fishbowl. You got me me cpt. autism.
>>
>>4093354
on the contrary.
Flat TVs suffer more from geometry. Flat comp monitors are usualy ok
>>
>>4093360
Thanks cpt. wiki. The benefits of a newer flat crt out weight it.
>>
>>4093367
>benifits
>heavier
>geometry
>HD/100hz most of the time

you trollin out of ignorance (ツ)
>>
>>4093369
Weight is good. You're talking about palshit with the rest.
>>
>4093370
you're just trolling matey
>>
>>4093240
Would it be worth 30?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-14N5U-14-Color-CRT-Monitor-2-CH-SEE-DESCRIPTION-/201968027462?hash=item2f063b8746:g:0xcAAOSwZKBZNca~
>>
>>4093378
Is it a 14" display that takes composite and S-Video while only being at about consumer level worth $30 to you? I cannot answer that question for you, but to me it certainly isn't. Like I said, the N5 line is low end, barely above or at consumer level.
>>
>>4093373
Nothing to troll about. You had no point and your argument fell apart. Now you're just doing dumb shit.
>>
Is there something about a Olympus OEV203 (rebranded pvm 20) that doesn't work with light guns? I tried using my Super Scope and Lethal Enforcers gun in a dark room with the brightness all the way up and both zappers didn't work properly.
>>
>>4093380
Probably not. The lady went to ten bucks on the KV set, so I'm going with that. I don't need anything super fancy, just something that looks halfway decent. Thanks for your help anon.
>>
>>4093352
depends; varies from set to set and manufacture to manufacture
>>4093354
wat

I have both a curved and 2 flat CRTs with Component from the early 90's. The curved is slot mask, while the flat ones are aperture grill. They both have their own pros and cons, for me personally. I won't get into a comparison of mask vs grill because that's subjective anyway.

>pros of curved
>way better geometry despite being moved around far more often
>natural magnetic fields including earth's polarity less influential overall

>cons of curved
>typically really limited service menu because these tend to be earlier or more basic consumer CRTs

>pros of flat
>usually far greater range of options regarding geometry corrections in the service menu

>cons of flat
>you will need all of those options and more
>every flat I have owned needed to be opened and have something adjusted manually, be it focus, yoke, etc. to get it halfway decent, and then could be finished up in the service menu
>changing even which corner of the same room it sits in makes a large difference in geometry and necessitates another adjustment
>>
>>4093516
>trump

Is it possible to keep the politics restrained to /pol/ for even five goddamn seconds?
>>
>>4093503
I disagree. The benefits are large. When you're dealing with flat CRTs you're often talking 10 years or even 20 years newer than curved. At least when talking about Sony mid to high end range. They have way better controls as you said but also way better documentation. And the image quality is superior if you ask me.
>>
>>4093536
That's not even to talk about power-on hours. Between a 90's trinny and a mid 2000's trinny you're going to see a huge difference in how long the set has been on and thus you're going to be with it much longer if you take care of it.

When it comes to flat tubes though it's not as simple as "flat vs fishbowl" because there's many different types of flat tubes. An FD Trinitron is really just a trinitron with a flat exterior but it still has the vertically flat but curved horizontal interior. Pic related shows what I mean, but it's from an ad by LG so take it with a grain of salt because they obviously want to talk up their flatrons (which are fantastic btw, I have on and it's amazing.)

At the end of the day some people are going to prefer a curved or fishbowl tube while some will prefer a flat tube, just like some people prefer slot masks or shadow masks and other prefer an aperture grille.
>>
>>4093546
Nintendo probably didn't really care what people played their games on as they used LCDs exclusively during the development of all their games.
>>
>>4093541
do you have a not-for-ants image.
>>
>>4093574
I'm afraid not. The image is cut from a page I found in Google's archives of magazines. Here's the full page and a link to where I found it.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=ciWvvXK5WiMC&q=flatron#v=snippet&q=flatron&f=false
>>
LCD tvs are the only way to play the way the developers intended. All CRT's have randomly distorted geometry. This is especially bad for side scrollers. This is even less accurate than emulation
>>
File: jaosidn2.jpg (62KB, 1420x799px) Image search: [Google]
jaosidn2.jpg
62KB, 1420x799px
so this is my room. I'm getting a 25 foot cable to run from my switch to my tv in front of my bed. I want to know where I should put my stereo receiver. I just purchased it and am trying to figure out where would be most optimal. It's a simple receiver nothing too fancy no multiroom options or 7.1 surround. I'm mainly worried that not having it hooked up to my power conditioners will hurt it for some reason, and since this is my first receiver i want to care for it well.

The problem is if I hook it up to the power conditioner I'll have to run an extra couple of ugly cables for the speakers to be right in front of my bed. Whereas if i hook up the receiver right in front of my bed the wiring won't be as much of an issue but then it won't be protected by my power conditioner.

Open to suggestions on my setup
>>
>>4093640
>better make sure these sprites look good without any blur, just in case somebody decides to mod their NES for RGB
>>
File: 1313111111111.jpg (168KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1313111111111.jpg
168KB, 625x469px
Hooked up a sound bar, bought some component cables for my Wii and found a crt that does support component. All i'm missing now is a Wii classic controller. Pic related is the model i'm getting, not a exact photo of the TV though. Hope it looks nice.
>>
Currently have a wii hooked up to my trinitron via svideo and it looks good. Will component be a noticable improvement, if im primarily playing VC games?
>>
>>4093751
Aw yaww you're in for some fun brotha! I've got my soundbar hooked up to my extron so I can play with where my audio comes from. Really brings the sound effects to a whole entire new level! You won't regret going the component path either as Wii component is the best you're going to get for GCN titles at least.

>>4093762
Probably?

I have the chance to pick up some component cables for the GCN for 210 should I buy?
>>
>>4093773
Thanks man, I missed out on a lot of games while growing up since I needed to buy everything myself so i'm pretty excited. I'm hoping the image on snes and nes games will be a lot clearer since it's pretty blurry with what i'm using right now.
>>
File: $_27.jpg (45KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
45KB, 640x360px
What fucking TV is this? I really want it, but i'd like to know the model for the specs
>>
File: C7t7U7eU8AEzAk9.png (1MB, 1042x1262px) Image search: [Google]
C7t7U7eU8AEzAk9.png
1MB, 1042x1262px
>>4092535
why wouldnt you use glass cleaner? its a glass bulb thats like an inch thick on the front. It's literally just glass, you could even spit on it and use your shirt to wipe it off and it would clean it just fine.

Seriously whats so special about it? Super mega special retro glass??
>>
>>4094193
If it has a protective film, a cleaner with ammonia such as Glass Plus will eat away at it over time.

I like microfiber cloths myself. If there is a tough spot, a dab of water will usually do just fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
How should I improve on this anons? Is there a way to fix the transitioning from on area to another because that shit is noticeably annoying
>>
Lol, tranny janny just deleted a bunch of posts complaining about him. Insecure much?
>>
Picking up a KV-24FS120 tomorrow! It's going to be my first decent CRT ever. I've been using this shitty one with composite for a bit. Anyone know anything about the model?
>>
File: N8Md4Kv.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
N8Md4Kv.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Trinitron KV-32FS120 and HD Retrovision cables.
Feels good, man!
>>
>>4093257
Okay so it turns out it's a CF27H50, if anyone has anything to say about that (I already assume middle of the road whatever, didn't want a flat screen and had S video). 23 pounds over what I should be putting on this rack, gonna assume that if it hasn't shattered yet that it won't. First CRT since they were relevant, haven't fucked with the colors too much I assume there is no real "correct" settings.

Genesis and snes are at the bottom of the rack which is all I'm using on it til I get a saturn and famicom. The dreamcast is going to stay VGA to HDMI.
>>
>>4093360
For whatever reason flat CRT tv's weren't very popular here in australia, everyone pretty much transitioned from 16:9 CRT's to plasma overnight.

However I do remember using a prosumer sony back in the day to play xbawks 360 games at a friends house, it was hooked up via component and the clarity, resolution and geometry were perfect, it was better than any LCD or plasma of the day. I specifically remember the loading screens and menus fitting incredibly well.

I'll try to find the model but my point is saying the geometry on flat CRTs was ever bad is just a disservice to people ITT looking for a quality set.
>>
>>4094436
Toshibas have their fans, though I am a Panny/Sony guy myself. I have passed on some nice ones because I just don't have anymore room.

That stand ought to be fine as long as there is no way you will bump into it from the side. It looks like it would fold if any lateral/horizontal force was applied.

Regarding your sock... I prefer to use a bit of blue masking tape. Usually two layers is enough to still detect light without it illuminating anything nearby. I've been using it to limit the light coming from my red LED alarm clock for years because I cannot sleep if the room isn't pitch black. I can still read the time in the dark though.
>>
File: 4b915650cbe4befa0b575399cc2fd64b.jpg (408KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
4b915650cbe4befa0b575399cc2fd64b.jpg
408KB, 1280x960px
Odd question. I'm bedridden for the next month due to health. Can I put a crt on its side without causing any problems? I can only lie on my side.
>>
>>4094339
Use your monitor settings to stretch that picture
>>
File: 1.jpg (104KB, 580x634px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
104KB, 580x634px
>>4094482
>>
>>4094482
yes you can if your tv is well built. Just power it off for a good 30 min while rotating it.
>>
File: Lovely-Image-Of-Get-Well-Soon.gif (331KB, 487x491px) Image search: [Google]
Lovely-Image-Of-Get-Well-Soon.gif
331KB, 487x491px
>>4094482
It should be fine, if it's only for a month, but it might cause heating issues. I personally kept one of my TVs on its side for a few weeks when I was on an Ikaruga kick back in the day, and nothing bad happened.

Best of luck with your health!
>>
>>4094491
dont do this. your head will get crushed by broken glass.
>>
>>4094493
>>4094495
Thanks, any recommendations for good CRTs?
>>
File: IMG_0455.jpg (340KB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0455.jpg
340KB, 1500x2000px
>>4094436
>>4094458

All the japanese brands are pretty good: Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, and Mitsubishi. There are more but it really comes down to how long the tube was used and if it is a flat screen vs curved and the inputs it has.

The sony I had geometry was good but had interference from the tilt function, so I had to put it at +5 and have it slightly titled on the bottom. The model was fs100l iirc, and the reason it has diagonal interference is from the microchip that does the tilt.

The reds on it were also very orange and my adjustments wouldn't fix it. It was a tad sharper too. component jack was broken as well.

This Toshiba on the other hand has S-video and Component and looks pretty damn good, a tad less sharp than the Sony.

In any case here is my giant daisy chained spider fire of death Toshiba. Calibrated it by going into the service menu the best I can. Only thing I might do is open this up and adjust the focus pot. Going to be building a custom shelf for this crt with two shelves for consoles soon.
>>
>>4094537
I mean I can shake it from side to side, would hope that the weight doesn't crush it over time and have the metal bars in the front snap.

>>4094537
What are the silver boxes? Mine just has 3 AV inputs, whatever "color stream" is which is just blue and red, and then S video. I know the genesis can be modded to have S video but I don't know shit about soldering. I would assume that is my only option for better than composite.

snes and saturn will be S video, famicom will probably be RF since I can't solder for AV, genesis will be composite.
>>
>>4094625
>I mean I can shake it from side to side, would hope that the weight doesn't crush it over time and have the metal bars in the front snap.
was meant for >>4094461
>>
>>4093380
$30 for a 14N5 isn't a bad deal, it's the $80 in shipping that would absolutely kill it.

>>4093421
I don't remember having an issue with the zapper on it; Try bringing the brightness back down to normal and raising the contrast a bit instead.

>>4094625
>whatever "color stream" is which is just blue and red
Toshiba's name for Component; The Red and Blue are for Pb and Pr, and it should piggyback off of a nearby composite input for Y.
>>
The black thing is my S-video AV distribution Extyron MAV 88 amp which has 8 inputs and 8 outputs. I use this so I can play on a CRT and record at the same time while playing on it. The silver boxes are also S-video splitters with audio, but I use those just for switching between audio because this AV Distrubtion amp uses phoenix connectors for rca and that is a bitch to make (would need to make 8+ of them)

your Toshiba color stream is Component input (Red,Green, and Blue). The best quality you can get from systems is usually RGB. You may be wondering how to use RGB on consumer sets. You need to get a RGB Scart to Component Adapter. I recommend the SB-2840 from Shinybow if you are looking for one. It is pretty expensive at 70-80 bucks, but all the other ones kinda suck and have white balance problems. Another one available on ebay is the Fusion box, but honestly the shinybow looks better designed as it is made of metal not plastic.

Its been a while since ive used RGB, but only a few consoles are left with S-video until I mod them (PC Engine Duo/N64) and composite AV Famicom.

Here is a good guide on what RGB is and how to setup SCART etc

http://retrorgb.com/rgbguide.html

Some systems needs to be modded for RGB, but most come with it natively.
>>
>>4094489
Actually anon, I fucked up I had it on 30khz since apparently I had the horizontal also negative instead of positive, Now its fixed and its on 31khz, but the annoying wave is still apparent while playing Metal Slug
>>
>Sony KV 1882EC

Is this a good CRT for PSX, SNES and PS2?
>>
>>4094836
Not really.
>>
>crt's almost impossible to find these days
>if they end up on ebay or gumtree the seller has "sega nintendo retro gaming" in the title and wants $40+
>ones on the sidewalk are either smashed, water damaged or had the pcb and power cable taken for scrap.
>>
>>4094852
Try craigslist, champ.
>>
>>4094857
non existent in australia. nobody uses it
>>
>>4094862
>australia
>>
>>4094862
I'm only half aussie (was born and live in the UK) but gumtree over there seems to have a shitload mate.
>>
>>4094714
I don't know what you mean by wave, but maybe it's the horiz res? try 384 instead of 320 for MS.
>>
>>4094418
I've got the 27" FS120 and I really like it. I've yet to use component with it as I'm waiting for my monoprice multi system cables but I can say S-Video looks really nice on it and component is what you'd expect of it. One thing I love about it is the great sound quality you get out of it. Totally unexpected from built in TV speakers and it's not even an FV.
>>
>>4094529
What size did you have in mind? Trinitrons are great when you can find them, but some larger models get extremely heavy. A 24-27" would be a good middle ground since they have good geometry and are light enough to lift with just one person.
>>
>>4095154
Nice, i'm going to pick up some component cables and the TV soon. I've got a sound bar myself so the audio is going to sound amazing, can't wait. I'll post pics when I come back later.
>>
Guys, there's somebody selling an RCA colortrak 2000 nearby. The manual shows that on the back there is a SCART port labeled "eia multiport".
Could this be an elusive US consumer tv with rgbSCART?
>>
>>4095520
>RCA
nope
Mitsubishi had rgb out in US
>>
File: 1499020583596-572138014.jpg (672KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1499020583596-572138014.jpg
672KB, 2560x1440px
>>4093218
Muh crt
>>
>>4095520
More likely it's PALshit that made it to america. Also just because it has SCART doesn't mean it supports RGB.
>>
>>4095528
This was their flagship model, though.
>>
>>4095534
That's what I'm trying to determine
>>
File: mila jovovich sony xbr.jpg (413KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
mila jovovich sony xbr.jpg
413KB, 1024x681px
>>4095535
>eia multiport
>The EIA Multiport doesn't support RGB. The manual for a long disposed of circa 1989 RCA Colortrak 2000 states as such.
RCA is fucking retarded Burgerland brand. The first Sony XBR TV also had RGB out.
>>
File: 20170629222624.jpg (717KB, 1920x1088px) Image search: [Google]
20170629222624.jpg
717KB, 1920x1088px
>>4095530
>>
File: 20170702_140856.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_140856.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Enjoy!
http://imgur.com/a/IcRwZ
>>
File: pvmsony1.jpg (2MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
pvmsony1.jpg
2MB, 3024x5376px
Anyone know of a good stand for my 20M2MDU?

Pic Related. I dont want it to be too high or too low
>>
>>4095643
Pile your cum rags underneath it to desired height
>>
>>4095520
>>4095528
>>4095534
>>4095535
>>4095541
>>4095567

Transcript of 1986 RCA product development meeting:

>CEO: So, the Dimensia range. What have we got?
>Chief designer: Well sir, it's big. Real big. We'll have to lay on extra shifts at the simulated woodgrain to satisfy production demand...
>CEO: Great! I love big wood. Keep it up!
>Chief designer: Thank you sir. Just one issue. It's the back. I can't seem to fill it. We need bigger connectors on there. RCA jacks simply can't cut it any more.
>CEO: Hmmmm...
>CTO: I think I may have a solution. In Europe they have a connector called SCART. It's big. Real big, and can do all sorts of things.
>CEO: Tell me more.
>CTO: Well, it can carry composite video in and out simultaneously for VCRs and such. It can automatically switch on connected devices and select the appropriate input when those devices are switched on. It can also work in reverse to switch on and configure the TV when a connected device is powered on. It could be used in the future to configure the TV for different aspect ratios when fed an appropriate signal. It also has support for RGB and enough pins left over to accommodate future signal standards. I hear Matsushita is developing an enhanced VHS standard using separate luminance and chrominance signals. Rumour is it will be called Super Video and we need to future proof. This connector could make out sets the envy of the world.
>CEO: Big...okay, I like the sound of it. Does the EIA have this thing on their books yet?
>CTO: Not yet. Would you like me to speak to them?
>CEO: Most certainly! Make sure they simplify it though. Take out all that artsy fartsy stuff you talked about. We only need composite and don't want to confuse our user base. Tell them it needs to be BIG.
>CTO: Errr...
>CEO: Great seeing you guys! Pencil us in 9 months from now for the launch meeting. Now, where are my golf clubs...
>>
>>4095665
I'm angry; look at this aesthetic.
Without rgb the set can only do up to s-video, so I guess that saves me a 30 min car ride.
>>
File: 00K0K_kGI3FYuRkME_1200x900.jpg (71KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00K0K_kGI3FYuRkME_1200x900.jpg
71KB, 1200x900px
>>4095669
Forgot the pic
>>
>>4095669
You dont really need rgb mate
>>
>>4095679
The thing is I've already got a monster 32" jvc with component; this rca tv would've just been a cool novelty set to own if it had rgbSCART, and I bet it would've looked nice.
>>
Is the kv-fs320 meme true?
Best consumer crt experience there is?
>>
>>4095709
Best as far as Sony and 4:3 sets go.
>meme
Chill out summer.
>>
File: newcrt.jpg (90KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
newcrt.jpg
90KB, 720x540px
Finally got my first decent CRT with component(KV-24FS120), makes a huge fucking difference! My phone doesn't do the picture quality justice as it's quite bright. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me.
>>
>>4095567
Fuck man I love mila.
>>
>>4095709
>http://imgur.com/a/IcRwZ
No. That would be either the FV310 if you like a clean almost sterile image which comes close to a PVM or a FV300 if you enjoy bloom and want to precisely control red push instead of just turning it off entirely. FS320 is on par with every other FS model, meaning it is still a high end consumer CRT with Composite, S-Video, and Component.
>>
>>4096152
how the heck? derp.
>>
>>4093646
Bump
>>
>>4096262
How would I plug in svideo or even Composite for that matter into an extron cross point
>>
>>4096282
Oops sorry
>>
Anyway to get scratches out of a screen? Note a huge deal but I know where they are and I find myself looking at them
>>
>>4095709
>>4095714
Of course it's not the best stupid meme posters.
>>
>>4095745
Does anyone know the difference between FS100 and FS120? Is it just an aesthetic one?
>>
>>4096471
Feel free to post an example then. I didn't post any meme shit, kid.
>>
Is a free 32FV310 worth an 8 hour round trip drive?
>>
>>4097557
Not really
>>
File: P_20170703_210643.jpg (3MB, 3072x4096px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170703_210643.jpg
3MB, 3072x4096px
Great news ! The IDC DC3 50PL connector fits into the slot. No need to order or scavenge one of those Hirose PCN10A
>>
>>4097763
What the fuck are you up to?

Making ghetto RGB input cards for Panasonic broadcast monitors?
>>
File: 3-IF-C01COMG.png (30KB, 1495x2110px) Image search: [Google]
3-IF-C01COMG.png
30KB, 1495x2110px
>>4097784
yup
the IF-C01COMG is actually pretty simple.
>>
>>4097763
That's a really strange thumbnail. It looks like the look down a hallway in a modern architecture-style house.
>>
>>4097793
That's actually rather cool. Do you intend to commercialise this idea?

I don't have a Panny at the moment simply because these cards are so hard to get hold of. However, if you were to say yes I may begin taking them a little more seriously and perhaps pick some up while they're cheap.
>>
>>4098007
nah, but I'll document as much as possible.
I already have one, but I need to build one for a JVC I gave to a friend.
>>
>>4098017
Do you have any experience with PCB prototyping or are you doing it all on veroboard as your picture suggests?

Having a finalised design up on oshpark would be epic.
>>
>>4098026
doing on perfboard because due to size of the card, doing if on oshpark would be too expensive. Also no experience on CAD.

Maybe some will chime in and do it.
>>
I'm looking at a trinitron on craigslist
KV-27FS13 is the model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

from this page it has "manual 1080i enhancement"
anyone know if that will introduce input lag? Wanted to use it for smash.
>>
>>4097557
Depends on how autistic you are.

My 1st 36FV310 took me on a 14 hour journey, and the rental van cost me almost $500 US including filling it with gas twice. The second one I just paid someone else to pick up and deliver for me. Despite the fact that the 2nd one was triple the distance, I paid less because the guy had other stops along the way.

A 32" model is nice though because if you're a strong guy, you can still move it yourself. I have moved several by just scooping them sideways. But these damned 36" ones require some moving knowledge, a strap to take off or put on a stand, an appliance dolly for stairs, and a blanket to drag from one room to another. They are just too big to get my arms around.

Lastly, it is not worth the drive unless you are willing to open it up and make adjustments. You have no guarantees. On anything.
>>
>>4098104
Don't fall for the melee meme.
>>
>>4098104
it's a 480i tv, so there should be no input lag for melee
>>
Ayn thoughts on the KV-27V42?

Just got one today for $5, getting it serviced at local place since the picture is pretty misaligned.
>>
>>4098284
How much did the alignment cost?
>>
>>4098309
30 bux
>>
How hard is it to find the jvc rgb expansion cards.
I see that jvc monitors haven't quite inflated in price to the level of pvm's, so I was thinking about picking one up. Some of the cheaper ones seem to have great specs for the price, but are missing rgb inputs. If I buy one of those I'd be willing to use y/v to connect my consoles while I search for an rgb card because y/v still looks fantastic, but my question is will I ever actually find an rgb card that's not as expensive as the monitor itself?
>>
>>4098460
>How hard is it to find the jvc rgb expansion cards.
Very. Like near impossible.
But should be decently easy to replicate.
>>
>>4098465
>should be decently easy to replicate.
I haven't gotten very far with that sort of workshopping, but maybe it can be something to work up to.
Even without, the picture through s-video on production monitors is great.
>>
Any advice on picking out a good AVR to pair with my CRT? Preferably something with plenty of YPbPr and S-Video inputs.
>>
>>4098475
>the picture through s-video on production monitors is great.
Agreed, but there's also the case of DT-V line (and Panasonic equivalents BT-H). They're multiformat but have no stock input.
>>
Should I repair my old 21'' WEGA for $40 or buy a 25'' for the same price from an unknown source?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>4094992
Sorry anon I took your advice but it just made the game look hideous, I'll figure something out one day, here's some pics
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>4098938
>>
The p in pvm stands for placebo
>>
File: VG248QE-front.jpg (152KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
VG248QE-front.jpg
152KB, 1024x768px
my monitor any good for retro?
>>
>>4099440
It's TN so no.
>>
>>4099450
TN has better response times though so is better for gaming in general.

IPS is better for image editing and...I dunno, shitposting I guess.
>>
So what actually makes a CRT better? Is it just subjective or is there objective reasoning behind it? I don't really know a lot about the detailed why, and it sort of sounds more like how audiophiles talk about their weird expensive cables and stuff.
>>
>>4099472
From my limited understanding CRT are better for console games such as NES , SNES, PS1 and many more since CRT can display these consoles' native 240p resolution with no fuckery like upscaling. Modern TV's recognise 240p as 480i and start up scaling and deinterlacing and also add input lag since it has to go through the TV's often shit upscaler. E.g. 240p >>>>> 1080p is not an integer scale. Best quality someone can get from a retro console is using RGB to a crt or a PVM. Also lightguns don't work on LCD and plasma since they rely on the precise timing of the electron gun.
>>
>>4099472
User definable variable resolutions / refresh rates. With LCD / OLED / what have you, you either are stuck with the resolution the panel is, or some multiple of it, or suffer from some sort of interpolation. CRTs, due to the exact resolution being displayed being determined by the rate the cathode ray's fired across the screen, can be whatever set of resolution and framerate the user wishes, given that it's within the limits of what the hardware can handle.
For example, my monitor's usually set to 1920 x 1440 @ 60hz, but I can set it to 320 x 240 @ 120hz for emulator use, close to that but not quite resolutions like 424 x 240 @ 120hz for "retro" indie games and the like, or any resolution in between.
>>
>>4099472
It's all subjective. Even the argument for it being period correct is subjective. Very few people are using actual period correct CRTs for games. Most of using CRTs from the 2000s.
>>
>>4099539
>not playing exclusively on an american-made cabinet TV with rabbit ears and UHF/VHF knobs proudly displayed
>>
Technology's biggest mistake was switching from analog to digital
>>
>>4099865
yup
>>
>>4099865
>>4099880
I fucking love spending an hour flipping through pages in a service manual and fucking with geometry settings. Oh and spending a ton of money on cables is great too. Sure do miss that.
>>
>>4099890
You say it sarcastically but I'd say it genuinely
>>
>>4099890
With simplicity comes a lack of options, both from genuine restrictions from the hardware and manufacturer limits / "features" that can't be changed.
>>
>>4099916
I got way more features on my monitor than back in the CRT days.
>>
File: pvmset.jpg (238KB, 719x977px) Image search: [Google]
pvmset.jpg
238KB, 719x977px
>>4099928
I highly doubt you have more features than a good CRT though
>>
>>4099949
Gsync alone gives me more features.
>>
>>4099950
Let's see 'em then
>>
>>4099961
I just listed the major one.
>>
>>4099967
I think we're at cross-purposes. Show me your geometry and colour correction controls.

You know, equivalent features to the ones I listed not a single buzzword tech which rigid flat panel displays require to compete with infinitely more flexible CRTs.
>>
>>4099471
Reponse times != input
Reponse times != Refresh rate

Only advantage of TN is less ghosting/choppiness since pixels change faster.

IPS has better colors, better contrast, better viewing angles, etc.
>>
>>4100043
>Show me your geometry
Don't need em.
>and colour correction controls.
Standard stuff.
>infinitely more flexible CRTs.
Flexible?
>>
Hi, /crt/. I have a quick question about fixing this CRT I picked up off the curb.

The TV is an April 1999 Trinitron (one of the lower-end models) and works fine except that there's a weird distortion on the right side of the screen that causes lines to not be straight - it's really noticeable with games like Earthbound that don't use the entire screen.

I didn't get a remote with it so I can't enter service mode, though I did order a spare today. Is this something that can be fixed using service mode?
>>
>>4100050
Thanks for providing ample evidence of your simpleton status. I have nothing further to add to this conversation.

Adieu.
>>
>>4100050
>>4099529

Also,
>Show me your geometry
>Don't need em.
There's reason to have at the very least a zoom for when content gets letterboxed / pillarboxed when it shouldn't be.
>>
>>4100060
>>4100062
I'm talking about a PC monitor here. You guys never use a new monitor or something? Why would someone need any of that?
>>
File: Screenshot (15).png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (15).png
1MB, 1366x768px
Who else was at the My Life in Gaming panel?
>>
>>4100067
I literally have a CRT sitting right next to a ultrawide, and I use both equally for whatever games plays / looks better for each.
>Why would someone need any of that?
Choice. Not all games (mainly pixel art and/or retro games) work well at 1920x1080 / 2560x1440, and playing them at native resolution looks far superior than interpolating pixels non-uniformly.
>>
>>4100084
You're talking about two completely different applications. Also that latter bit of your post isn't a problem that CRT's are void from.

I feel like I'm talking to someone underage or 3rd world. Seem pretty ignorant about modern monitors.
>>
>>4100095
>You're talking about two completely different applications.
I'm fairly certain the only thing I've talked about is playing games on PC at whatever resolution they look the best at.
>Also that latter bit of your post isn't a problem that CRT's are void from.
It's only a problem if you're too stupid to figure out how to use the resolution utility properly, a game rendering at 800x600 displayed on a CRT monitor set to 800x600 has every individual pixel perfectly catered to by the cathode ray, as opposed to ~1.8 rendered pixels to every physical pixel of the LCD display.
>>
>>4100141
>I'm fairly certain the only thing I've talked about is playing games on PC at whatever resolution they look the best at.
That has more to do with the dev than anything. Games generally decide on the resolution they want.

You aren't going to get square pixels on a CRT either if you're trying to display something that isn't native to CRT's aspect ratio.

You just ignore that I brought up gsync. Which makes me think you're ignorant about it or don't want to mention it because it's a very significant thing CRT's lack. Solving the issue of screen tearing which is probably the most significant advancement in display tech as far as games are concerned. The other equally great thing that GSync brings is a near lagless sync method. Another thing CRT's lack. And another thing of note and to some people this is the most important thing about GSync, it gives you ULMB settings. A technology that gives you less blur than any CRT made is capable of doing. It also acts as an excellent FPS cap. Something that isn't mentioned but can be an annoying pain in the ass when the FPS becomes far greater than then what CRT is made for you get all sorts of issues. Stuttering, "frame drops". tearing, the screen often just becomes a blurry mess. These LCDs and OLEDS have static sharpness regardless the refresh rate. Excluding some monitors that have issues with strobe interference. CRTs are just bad displays for games. For anything really.
>>
>>4100079
Oh god.
>>
>>4100079
Who fucks these people
>>
>>4100175
>That has more to do with the dev than anything. Games generally decide on the resolution they want.
Pixel games, literally running in resolutions like 424x240. They might be able to render at larger resolutions, but that doesn't magically upscale the art to a higher resolution, and there aren't any LCD monitors at that resolution meant for PC use.

>You aren't going to get square pixels on a CRT either if you're trying to display something that isn't native to CRT's aspect ratio.
This is universally fixable via the menu options of any PC CRT, it even allows for stretching and warping the image on purpose if need be. (Not a common use case, but possible.)

>Gsync
I hadn't brought it up because it wasn't relevant to any problems I have. Gsync's wonderful to have, especially for weaker hardware, but is rather pointless when the hardware in question can pelt out so many frames that it doesn't matter. If CRT hadn't bombed in use after the advent of lcd panels, there's no reason to believe that they wouldn't of been made Gsync capable as well, given that they're just as capable of of variable refresh rates.

>The other equally great thing that GSync brings is a near lagless sync method.
CRT's don't have that because they don't need it, there's a reason why for a while after LCD screens were introduced they were still being used in tournaments for competitive shooters.

(1/2)
>>
>>4100216
>Something that isn't mentioned but can be an annoying pain in the ass when the FPS becomes far greater than then what CRT is made for you get all sorts of issues. Stuttering, "frame drops". tearing, the screen often just becomes a blurry mess.
That sounds like a in game settings problem, I'm fairly certain frame capping's a feature of just about every PC game that's been released, at least in the past decade or two. Plus I've ran games far above the refresh rate of the CRT and never had any problems like what you've described.

>These LCDs and OLEDS have static sharpness regardless the refresh rate.
Again, never had a problem with sharpness on the CRT with the settings properly set.

>CRTs are just bad displays for games. For anything really.
Except games that are literally designed with them in mind.

(Also I find it funny that when I searched "ULMB" the first thing that came up was "It gives you CRT-like motion clarity but reduces brightness.")

(2/2)
>>
>>4100216
>Pixel games, literally running in resolutions like 424x240.
I'm not seeing why this is an issue.
>This is universally fixable
If you put a border around the picture. Something LCDs can do also.
>I hadn't brought it up because it wasn't relevant to any problems I have. Gsync's wonderful to have, especially for weaker hardware, but is rather pointless when the hardware in question can pelt out so many frames that it doesn't matter. If CRT hadn't bombed in use after the advent of lcd panels, there's no reason to believe that they wouldn't of been made Gsync capable as well, given that they're just as capable of of variable refresh rates.
GSync isn't just useful for low frames. A tech like GSync maybe could be adapted but not GSync.
>CRT's don't have that because they don't need it
CRT's absolutely need vsync...
>That sounds like a in game settings problem
No that is very much an exclusive to CRT problem.
>I'm fairly certain frame capping's a feature of just about every PC game that's been released
No it's been lost on modern games since it's not needed for LCDs.
>Plus I've ran games far above the refresh rate of the CRT and never had any problems like what you've described.
You got a magical CRT then or there was some kind of cap.
>Again, never had a problem with sharpness on the CRT with the settings properly set.
Ya properly set. Not maxed out with 120+hz.

As for the ULMB it reduces brightness from the max brightness. 120hz ULMB is better than any 120hz CRT. Though I will admit a static FPS is a requiment for ULMB. With ULMB generally after your refresh drops below 85hz it drops out. Also there will be 240hz ULMB once OLEDs becomes mainstream. At that point there really will be no debate over which tech has superior motion quality.
>>
Picked up a sony kv-32fv16 and one of its features is a "16:9 enhanced" mode. What exactly is this, and is it something detrimental? As i hear, widescreen crts are bad for gaming.
>>
>>4098210
I've already fallen deeply for the meme.

>>4098230
Thanks friend.
>>
>>4100258
>CRT's absolutely need vsync...
so does every other display technology

>120hz ULMB is better than any 120hz CRT.
[citation needed]

>No that is very much an exclusive to CRT problem.
>No it's been lost on modern games since it's not needed for LCDs.
>You got a magical CRT then or there was some kind of cap.
>Ya properly set. Not maxed out with 120+hz.
idk what drugs you're on.
>>
>>4100364
>so does every other display technology
Yes.
>[citation needed]
Try it yourself. Read up on it.
>idk what drugs you're on.
Just facts. I'm not aware of any modern AAA games released with a FPS cap. Sometimes you edit a config file out of game but that's usually considered hacking. For example BF1 has no fps cap option.
>>
File: 0704172207_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2718x2016px) Image search: [Google]
0704172207_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2718x2016px
>bought 5 crt's from a guy off of craigslist for $5 bux each

>a Sony KV-32FS12 Trinitron with RGB and S-video
>a Sony KV-27V42 Trinitron with S-video
>A Toshiba 27a41 with RGB and S-video
>14" Panasonic with only composite
>18" Emerson piece of shit with S-Video

Other than my spine hurting I'm pretty damn happy. Haven't tried out the 32" Trinitron since it's so fucking heavy, but I really like the picture on the Toshiba.
>>
>>4100575
Get a new camera, stupid meme poster.
>>
>>4094151
A flat Sony Trinitron.
Looks like a 21" but pics can be deceiving.
Probably has multiple input jacks including component.
Don't fall for the flatscreens are shit meme. ALL CRTVs need adjustment to be good. Only CRT computer monitors and broadcast monitors are good out of the box.
Bring a 5th gen or earlier console and game to test if it has scanlines.
If there are no scanlines the set is high-scan (progressive) and is not ideal unless you focus on 6th gen.
>>
Why do CRT PC monitors often have max resolutions of 1280X1024 (5:4) when these monitors are invariably 4:3 aspect ratio?

Did they expect users to notice the increased sharpness but not notice the stretched aspect and oval circles?
>>
Anyone in the UK got advice for finding CRTs? Seems to be be hardly any nearby me.
>>
BVM owner here. I've stumbled uppon a VGA to BNC converter and would like to try hooking a RPi 3 on my CRT. Will the VGA GERT adapter will do the trick or is there a better alternative quality-wise?
>>
>>4100318
Can squish down the raster to only draw a 16:9 image rather than the tube's standard 4:3. Not detrimental at all, just allows you to view 16:9 content properly. For /vr/, it really won't have much use outside of the occasional game that supports anamorphic widescreen,
>>
>>4100713
have you not tried forcing any resolution besides that? usually they can take more than 1280x1024.
>>
>>4100713
Those max resolutions are usually bullshit. Just ignore them and look at the horizontal frequency.
>>
File: JJBA.jpg (2MB, 1919x1835px) Image search: [Google]
JJBA.jpg
2MB, 1919x1835px
Just got my first CRT just a plain old Dell monitor but it is really nice I played a bit of House of the Dead 2 on it as well.
>>
What differentiates the trinitrons with a plain logo and a trinitron with the rgb dots next to the name? It seems to be a time frame, but the quality of trinitrons with the dots seems to be higher than the next generation of black fishbowl trinitrons. Maybe Sony just made them shittier as time went on?
>>
>>4100969
Live in London or overpay on Ebay
>>
>>4100989
GERT + VGA-to-BNC cable will do the trick. There will be some video noise though.
>>
File: 20161102_1154572.jpg (3MB, 4128x1446px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_1154572.jpg
3MB, 4128x1446px
hey /CRT/ i own several CRT's and PVM's and was wondering if you guys had some knowledge on how to fix a broken HDMI port (happened during a thunderstorm while connected to a ps3 in standby and the tv was off) on a sony wega KV-34HS420.
i tried unplugging it all day and trying again. i tried my HDMI port on my computer and laptop, i've tried it on a vitaTV. im stumped. i cant find i way to calibrate it or factory reset on this model. has anyone had a similar problem?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170705-092206.png (311KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170705-092206.png
311KB, 720x1280px
I bought a Sony Trinitron with a subwoofer attached on the top and component inputs. I have pics but they show Xbox Hueg games in it so not sure if janitor will delete it.
It cost me the equivalent of $21.83 dollars. It's looks like pic related
>>
File: sleafordmods-artist.jpg (94KB, 600x929px) Image search: [Google]
sleafordmods-artist.jpg
94KB, 600x929px
>>4100969
Put a card in a shop window or supermarket notice board advertising:
>FREE BIG BACK TV REMOVAL SERVICE

You'll soon have more than you know what to do with.
>>
File: battlestation.jpg (1MB, 4272x2856px) Image search: [Google]
battlestation.jpg
1MB, 4272x2856px
>>4101269
I live in the midlands and every crt in this picture was bought on ebay in the past 12 months.

Total cost including fuel? <£150
>>
>>4101348
Nice setup anon.

What are the Extron's models you're using? Any recommandation, drawbacks or tips to share?
>>
>>4101254
I was expecting some SNES RPG or other mainstream shit like the usual pictures in this thread but instead I got Dio.
>>
>>4101382
>Nice setup anon.
Thanks anon.

>What are the Extron's models you're using?
Currently only really using the DVS 510 as a DAC and 2nd stage scaler between an OSSC and Lacie EB IV. The rest of the stack comprises:

IPL T S6 = Ethernet to serial interface. Bought this to experiment with possible ethernet control of my BVMs to replace the BKM-10. Not got round to it yet.

RAC 104 = Audio controls. Got this as part of a job lot, not found a use for it yet.

Composite and S-Video distribution amplifiers. Again got as part of job lot. May press them into use as audio-only distributors at some point.

SW4 HDMI = 4 way HDMI switcher. This is future-proofing for my plasma downstairs. Haven't quite run out of HDMI inputs on it yet though.

MMX Series = 4 way S-Video and audio switch. Again to add extra audio inputs to my HiFi when required.

VSC 500 = Downscaler for converting PC output to 15khz for consumer/broadcast CRTs. Only does 480i but can be tweaked to 240p with...

RGB 580xi = RGB interface and sync processor. First bit of Extron kit I bought.

USP 405 = Universal Signal Processor. Scales, converts and generally mucks about with just about any signal type imaginable. Bought this for the SDI output to use with my BVMs otherwise redundant inputs. Sadly shares the same 480i limitation as the VSC but again can be fixed with the RGB 580. It's a bit old and sickly but still works, just.

MLS 506 SA = 6 way Media Link Switcher. Similar to a Crosspoint but only one output (no matrix switching) and has built-in 25wpc stereo amplifier.

IR 903 = Remote. All Extron remotes are identical under the skin with contacts for all buttons across the range and sharing the same protocol and commands. Bought this to program my Logitech Harmony and control all IR-ready components centrally.

1/2
>>
>>4101596
>Any recommandation, drawbacks or tips to share?

Get a DVS and a PC CRT, they're a wicked combination, especially with a scanline generator or OSSC in front.
Look out for units with lots of Phoenix audio connectors included, they can be hard to get hold of otherwise.
Bear in mind the 480i nature of 15khz output. As mentioned this can be remedied with an RGB interface in line but is a bit of a hassle desu.

Hope this helps and doesn't bore you half to death ;-)

2/2
>>
I've got a DVD player hooked up to my 5041q via component. The switch on the back is set to component. The line/RGB button on the front is depressed. I get an image but it's completely red. I can do black a white only and it's more tolerable on the eyes but in general I want to know what's wrong.

I've hooked up Composite to the 5041q no problem but I can't figure out what's wrong with doing component. Any suggestions?
>>
Does anybody know anything about the Proton brand? Not the Sears protron.
I see this guy selling a Proton model JT-330 crt, claiming it is 1080p. I don't believe that part because it is clearly 4:3 AR, but I can't find anything online that mentions this tv.
Any help?
>>
>>4095643
make a wooden stand, it don't need to be fancy as long as it's sturdy.
>>
>>4095643
Wooden grade school desk. For some reason they're almost the exact dimension of 20inch PVM's and bvms
>>
I've got a kv-36fv300 in my grasp for free. Only problem is it's a 220 lb tv on the third floor of a house.
Any tips on getting it down? I've got 2 buddies to help me.
Wish me luck.
>>
>>4102237
>he doesn't own a two wheel dolly and some straps
pphhhhbbbb

you can rent them for cheap too
>>
>>4093218
what are the most graphically impressive games I can play on my PVM?

Any console

hit me

I can go up to 1080i RGB
>>
>>4102269
Dragon's Crown (widescreen tho and not retro but oh well)
>>
>>4102269
Probably something like burnout revenge on the Xbox or a sports game. Gran turismo 4 probably looks neat too
>>
File: 1499303717415533442809.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1499303717415533442809.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Scooped up this today for $5

Can I play nes games on it?
>>
>>4102331
Short answer is no, unless emulating
>>
>>4102432
Well... that is very disappointing
>>
>>4102432
>>4102478
Thanks for checking it out though.
>>
How good is a sony trinitron 36fv310? Some anons were saying it was the "best CRT", but I'm not so sure. Not saying I hate the TV or anything like that, but best? That's a tall order. I payed 30 for it, btw.
>>
File: 20170705_185734_Richtone(HDR).jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170705_185734_Richtone(HDR).jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>4101321
Finally I came home and now I can show you my CRT.
It's a KV-21FA310 I paid the equivalent of $21.83 dollars ($400 mexican pesos) for it, so far looks great with my Xbox hueg + original AV component adaptor and running emulators.
Did I get ripped off for that price?
>>
File: 20170705_191900.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170705_191900.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
>>4102503
They guy who sold it to me was really nice but the TV was really dirty, took me a while to clean it up but now it look almost brand-new (at least the front lol)
>>
File: 20170705_191955.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170705_191955.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
>>4102509
>>
>>4102503
>>4102509
>>4102513

I think you did good.
>>
>>4102331
dell used trinitrons???
>>
>>4093218
I have 3 CRTs, I'm going to shove one up my expanded asshole until I prolapse. Should I do the Sony, the Toshiba, or the Vizio?
>>
>>4102631
Not the Vizio, crafty trickster
>>
>>4101348
Holy shit this looks gorgeous.

What I wouldn't do for a quick play of Galaxy Force II.
>>
>>4101348
what a beautiful set up
>>
>>4102276
>>4102293
I meant retro games

anything that shines with scanlines and RGB
>>
How to correct tilt on a trinitron? What service mode settings specifically?
>>
>>4102503
What'd you clean it with?
>>
What are you guys using for av switchboxes? I've been using a cheap RCA box but it only has 4 inputs and i need more.

>>4101348
Awesome
>>
>>4102671
Thunder Force IV
Monster World IV
Mega Turrican
Glaylancer
Flink
Ecco The Tides of Time
Phantasy Star IV

Super Turrican
Axelay
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie
R-Type III (past 1st level)
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Dracula XX

Princess Crown
Radiant Silvergun
Vampire Savior

The Last Blade II
Garou Mark of the wolves
>>
File: 20170705_233236.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170705_233236.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>4102678
I sprayed it generously with multi-surface Pledge letting it rest for five minutes and then used a cheap micro fiber cloth to remove the dirt
>>
>>4102689
What about the screen? Been meaning to clean mine but dont want to mess it up
>>
>>4102712
Just your regular screen cleaner from walmart, although the bottle on the Plege cleaner says you can use it on glass too
>>
>>4102432
Why not?
>>
>>4102759
it's a 31khz screen and nes outputs 15khz. you could use it with a linedoubler, but emulating looks just as good as rgb on a pvm with a good vga monitor.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Been trying to play Pikmin for awhile now but that ghosting from 30hz is annoying the shit out of me, it also doesn't fully fit my screen even if its 4:3
>>
>>4102774
Ah, thanks. Would it be difficult to use a linedoubler? It wouldn't cause input lag or do anything else that would negatively affect the games?
>>
has anyone tried one of these ugreen hdmi to vga adaptors at 240p? they don't list anything below 480p but some people have managed to find ones that do 240p
>>
>>4102671
Then don't mention 1080i you faggot
>>
File: GREAT SUCCESS.jpg (3MB, 5066x4096px) Image search: [Google]
GREAT SUCCESS.jpg
3MB, 5066x4096px
GREAT SUCCESS
>>
File: SuccessKid.jpg (25KB, 318x212px) Image search: [Google]
SuccessKid.jpg
25KB, 318x212px
>>4102987
Brb snapping up all the dirt cheap Pannys I can get my grubby little mitts on.
>>
>>4102987
what's this DIY input card??
>>
>>4101605
Thanks anon, your feedback is much appreciated.
>>
>>4102594
Yup, Sony sometimes worked as OEM and licensed their stuff
>>
File: P_20170706_141608.jpg (2MB, 2348x2870px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170706_141608.jpg
2MB, 2348x2870px
>>4103060
Clone of JVC IF-C01COMG RGB / Component card. Also exists as Panasonic BT-YA702.
Extra rare, extra expensive. I was lucky to found a monitor with that card.
Only recently I peeked inside and to my surprise, not only it has bog standard components, but about 90% of them are useless, some components are missing at critical places.
The card only does some input protection, buffering and leveling.

This is especially important for JVC DT-V and Panasonic BT-H as they have no stock inputs, and you'll often find them fitted with SDI / HDSDI cards.
>>
File: P_20170706_141652.jpg (2MB, 2038x2598px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170706_141652.jpg
2MB, 2038x2598px
>>4103080
>>
File: P_20170706_141722.jpg (2MB, 2664x3072px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170706_141722.jpg
2MB, 2664x3072px
>>4103082
>>
Can anyone recommend a good YUV component switch? I have more component cables now than I have component inputs, swapping is getting annoying.
>>
File: IMG_20170706_083717.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170706_083717.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I posted this in another thread but I need some help. I have a Viewsonic A75F but recently it'll turn green for a second before turning yellow. Any reason why? I have it connected to a modern desktop which is connected to a 1080p monitor.
>>
>>4103080
Cool thanks. I owned a JVC monitor and I got a RGB card in it, never thought it was a rare addon. Sold the monitor along with it.

If someone made RGB cards for BVM as a DIY project s-he would be rich
>>
>>4103107
for such a thing to happen someone needs to open one and look at the guts.
Could be extra simple, could appear extra complex but be actually simple like the JVC, or could be a gordian knot of a circuit.
>>
>>4102503
Same anon here, so now I noticed a hum noise that comes from the inside of the TV, I disconnected the subwoofer and muted the speakers and the sound is persistent, not so loud but very annoying.
I can't describe the noise but it sounds like when you are alone at home and there no sound and you start hearing that buzz, sorry I'm retarded but that's the best I can do to describe it.
>>
>>4103161
All CRT's emit a buzz while in operation to varying degrees, if it bothers you that much, then you're not going to have a good time with CRT's in the future.
>>
>>4103201
>>4103201
I do remember that buzz when we still had CRTs in the house but maybe I stopped getting used to it after ten years of not using them. Still waiting for a second opinion about the matter, also I just heard it when there's no sound in the game.
>>
>>4103080
>>4103082
>>4103085
awesome, thanks for sharing
>>
>>4103201
Probably the Fly Back Transformer.
>>
>>4103226
Probably 60 cycle hum. And the 'home alone' sound you're referring to is probably the fridge kicking on, also at the same frequency.
>>
File: 00R0R_g0rgPvjviYs_1200x900.jpg (64KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00R0R_g0rgPvjviYs_1200x900.jpg
64KB, 1200x900px
>>4101995
Nobody knows of Proton?
>>
>>4103267
sexy
>>
>>4103090
Extron MLS 506
>>
>>4103107
>>4103135
Sony monitors tend to offload key functions to their cards such as NTSC/PAL encoding capability so I highly doubt they would be as easy to replicate or imitate as the Pannys. They even go as far as to have diagnostic routines built into the monitor (at least on the BVM line).

I'd dearly loved to be proved at least pessimistic or, best case, dead wrong though. Homebrew replacements would be truly epic.
>>
File: amiga1080.jpg (30KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
amiga1080.jpg
30KB, 800x600px
There is an amiga 1080 monitor for sale in my neighborhood. It has a 9 pin rgb connection along with composite on the back. Will consoles like snes, genesis and wii work on it through the rgb port or would I be stuck with composite on this thing?
>>
>>4103294
you'll probably need to wire up a cable, but buy it.
>>
>>4101348
Total cost of being a palfag?

Games butchered forever
>>
>>4103294
Some of those sorts of monitors are digital RGB only, but from a quick search it looks like that specific model can switch between digital and analog modes, so you should be OK there. In analog mode it needs a composite sync, for which you may need to build a sync stripper depending on which consoles you are trying to plug into it.
>>
File: Amiga1080_to_sega_01A[1].png (179KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Amiga1080_to_sega_01A[1].png
179KB, 1024x768px
>>4103294
Forgot pic
>>
>>4103304

Wiring up a cable is no biggie, just wanted to make sure it was 15khz compatable and not like vga crt monitors
>>
>>4103327
If it has a composite video input it's almost certainly 15khz-compatible.
>>
>>4103324

Much appreciated
>>
>>4103294
I would just like to have that for my Amiga. Probably not in PA NY or OH is it?
>>
>>4103310
All my shit is either natively multisystem or modded to be so and I play mostly 60hz titles.

Try harder next time m8.
>>
>>4103269
It is sexy but I can't find out a thing about it.
I think I'll just buy it because I'm so interested.
>>
>>4103396
outrun doesn't look 60hz tho
>>
>>4103413
It's running off NTSC-U Sega Ages Vol.1 so it damn well should be.

My OSSC and Extron DVS 510 both reported 59.94hz from the Saturn when I had it hooked up through that too.
>>
>>4103378

Nope
>>
>>4103423
your v-height is all kinds of fucked up then
>>
>>4103432
I'll be sure to look into it
>>
How much could I sell a pvm-20l5 for
>>
and recommendations for a small crt to put in a campervan?
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I recently bought a 27 inch wega trinitron and there is a minor issue with the top of the screen.

When text is displayed on the screen, it looks crisp except when its near the top, especially near the top right. Furthermore I can see colors, mostly green and blue when the text should be black. Is this a geometry issue or a gaussing issue or something? I have never configured a CRT so I don't know what to do.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>4103503
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Sony+KV-8AD10+8%22+CRT&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XSony+pvm+8%22.TRS0&_nkw=Sony+pvm+8%22&_sacat=0
>>
File: IMG_20170706_172507.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170706_172507.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>4103091
This is the desktop that I'm using. When I connect it with a laptop it works fine. Is it because the computer is too strong or possible the OS? It's Windows 10. I know this isn't meant to be a troubleshoot general but this is the closest I'll ever get help here.
>>
>>4103508
Sounds like convergence to me.

Download the service manual and get stuck in.
>>
>>4103517
IT'S TOO POWERFUL.

For real though it's probably the OS. Win 10 doesn't play with with lower analog resolutions, but there's plenty of anons here that know all the tricks. I don't have one myself so I'm going from memory.
>>
>>4103517
do you get image at boot ?
1080p might be too high for that monitor. Try to set desktop at 1024x768 and then connect.
>>
>>4103501
Around me some fuck is selling it for 1275
>>
>>4103513
damn man thats pretty pricey, guess i could splurge on it if its the best for what im looking for though
>>
>>4103568
I've got a guy selling 3 for 1200 (hopefully that means together)
>>
>>4103517
What brand is your GPU and what resolution are you trying to pump out? How are you connecting this monitor, is a DVI adapter being used at all?
>>
Just got my component cable for my Genesis in the mail.

Jesus christ, it's fucking night and day compared to composite.
>>
>>4103329
good point.
>>
>>4102498
$30 well spent, my friend. The fine details of just why it's the best are in the service menu. You can pretty much achieve color perfection that way.
>>
>>4103090
I use a Pelican System Selector Pro (PL-960), and it's worked fantastically well for everything I put into it. I've yet to find anything that has the capacity it does. (8 inputs -> 1 output).
>>
What tv-line count are are your standard consumer crt's?
>>
>>4102498
I'm not so sure either, but I'm really happy with mine. I have other CRTs, but they hardly get used anymore.
>>
>>4102498
I'ts one of the last Sony Wega SD sets made and thus has years of design behind it, it has a very well done service menu, and a built in subwoofer. This is why people say it's the best consumer set for SD content. It's mostly the subwoofer desu.
>>
>>4103517
some of the newer video cards don't output analog anymore. Maybe it's that.
>>
>>4103528
I was thinking the OS might be the reason. I'm considering switching back to 7 or 8.1 to try it out. The laptop was 7.

>>4103546
While connected to the desktop it turns on green for about a quarter of a second before turning to yellow. Even when I do set it to the monitor resolution it doesn't work. Could it involve toying around with the displays (extending, only showing on one monitor, etc.)?

>>4103748
AMD RX 480 and I have it set to the resolution of the monitor with similar results. I am connecting with the DVI adapter to the desktop.

>>4103939
So if I connected straight from the CPU might that work?
>>
>>4103921
>High Voltage Regulator pulls the electrons to the screen more intensely providing better focus and brightness.
>The High Voltage Regulator provides +30% brightness improvement, +30% reduction in beam spot size (better focus) and improved geometry (reduced distortion).
>>
>>4104008
>RX 480
There's your problem buddy, you lack a dac. You're gonna need an external dac if you wanna use a CRT.
>>
File: 20170703_140209.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170703_140209.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Got this for a $1.50 at an estate sale. Looks slick af, and has scart inputs, which I've never seen on a consumer grade CRT television in the U.S. before. Euros, what do I need to know about this tv?
>>
>>4104039
It's a Bang and Olufsen and thus it looks very pretty. That's all you need to know.
>>
>>4104039
How the hell did you find a B&O in the US?
Must've been brought over.
>>
>>4104039
>>4104040
actually it's a piece of shit due to it being a palfag 50hz set. at least you only got ripped off for a dollar
>>
>>4104041
I own a B&O beomaster receiver so I know the company shipped to the US at least somewhat
>>4104060
The mx5000 got an NTSC release
>>
>>4104063
Correct, it didn't sell very well in the U.S. for various reasons at the time. Since you're familiar with it, I need to get the remote for it as it wasn't included with the unit and based on what I'm reading, it's necessary. What should I be looking for and at what price point?
>>
>>4104036
Really? Is this because the newer graphic cards don't allow analog?
>>
>>4104060
All Beovision MXs are multisystem, chum.

>>4104073
The original remote is the Beo4. Not sure about pricing in the US as they're expensive enough over in europe despite being relatively common.

You may be better off getting a Logitech Harmony then hitting up remotecentral.com for custom codes if Logitech's database doesn't have them already.
>>
>>4104063
>>4104117
a cheap universal remote is probably the way to go
if you want proprietary stuff maybe look for the beolink 1000, I think it would work with this tv
>>
>>4104113
Also could I connect to the CRT without a graphics card or would I still need a DAC? Thank you very much for the answers
>>
Will an rgb -> ypbpr transcoder match the quality of the HD Retrovision cables (as I assume it's the same technology)?
>>
>>4104179
Yeah, the Retrovision cables have inline transcoders in them.

If it's one of the decent quality transcoders like the Audio Authority, Shinybow, or Key Digital ones, yes.

The CSY-2100 clones "AV Specialty" are a bit hit or miss, and tend to need opened and have a pot or two adjusted.

If you do decide to get a transcoder, you need to make sure that it is -just- a transcoder and not something that is doing any sort of scaling or processing outside of color space conversion.
>>
>>4104117
>>4104124
Do I need to worry about a receiver for the 5000 or is the remote enough for that model?
>>
>>4103756
Been playing around with this some more, comparing it to composite input, it's crazy how much better the image quality is. The image is sharper, the colors are brighter, and the signal is completely clean. Over composite I'd get a lot of flickering and wavering and stuff, none of that over component. Looks just as good as Wii emulation.
>>
>>4102269
Astal, Yoshi's Island, DKC Trilogy, Mischief Makers, Castlevania SotN, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2, Kirby Super Star, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Shinobi III, Metal Slug series, In The Hunt, Galaxy Force II.

Just some that come to mind for me.
>>
>>4104124
>>4104267
Universal remotes will likely not work as B&O used their own signal IR standard. You need a Beo4, Beolink 1000 to get most out of it. There are aftermarket ones, but they aren't exactly cheap either, so might as well get the fancy one.

I'm currently hunting for a Beo4 as the one that came with my MX4000 was DOA.
>>
File: IMG_1015.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1015.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>4103324
>>4103330
If you're like me and can't solder, here's a pre built RGB adapter cable with built in stereo out. All you'll need is a DB9 female to female adapter to make it plug in to the TV's male port. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-CM8833-MKII-RGB-MONITOR-TO-SCART-ADAPTER-CABLE/320754731999

Pic related, my Amiga 1080 hooked up to my Genny. Enjoy this beauty of a monitor.
>>
>>4104113
>don't allow analog?
>DAC
>Digital Analog Converter
Yes, that would be the reason, anon.
You really ought to do the basic research instead of asking to be spoonfed.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170707-111759.png (479KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170707-111759.png
479KB, 1080x1920px
so, never thought i'd find a pvm where i live, but some dude posted this, selling for $60. Is it any good? he says it was a security monitor
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (497KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
497KB, 1080x1920px
>>4105139
the back
>>
>>4104737
Well you put me in the right direction. I had no idea it was the graphics card that was making the problem. Thanks again. For anyone wondering there's also a DVi to HDMI converter you can use for newer graphics card. I'm not sure if there's any input lag with the device.
>>
>>4105139
If it was a security monitor it's probably been on for about 1 billion hours, but $60 isn't bad as long as it's 14"+. I can't really tell the size.
>>
>>4105139
>>4105142
If you would post the actual pics instead of a low resolution picture of a picture (FFS what are you even doing??), we'd be able to read the label and tell you the size, the model, how much it's worth, etc.

From the looks of it though, it seems to have all the inputs you'll want (RGB in addition to S-Video and at least two composite inputs), but it also looks to be a rather small monitor (9 inches maybe?). Like I said, get a more clear picture of the label on the back and we'll know the size for sure.
>>
>>4105139
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-14M2U-CRT-Color-Monitor-PERFECT-FOR-RETRO-GAMING-/272616693834?hash=item3f7938a04a:g:C0kAAOSwTM5Y4l8D

For reference.
>>
Whats the most time you guys have put into attempting to correct geometry? Did any of you try putting magnetic strips on the yoke, or did you stop at the service menu?
>>
>>4105221
That was the guys pic, not mine. Sorry about that, its about as clear as it gets. Asked him for a model number but he hasnt replied. So it seems decent enough?

>>4105205
Would burn in be an issue with it? Or any other negative factors due to it being used as a security monitor?
>>
File: stand-on-lego.png (193KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
stand-on-lego.png
193KB, 588x588px
>>4105406
>adjusting raster on JVC VM-R150EK
>monitor is late-80s and has induction coils with threaded inserts for performing horizontal and vertical size
>proceed to tweak with jeweller's screwdriver
>what's that smell? smells like bacon
>sharp pain in finger and thumb
>said coils have inductively heated metal screwdriver blade and handle to >9000 degrees and it is now welded to my hand

I should have known really seeing as I used to perform induction glass to metal soldering on hermetic fiber optic assemblies as part of my job.

I went out and bought myself some ceramic pot tweakers soon after...
>>
>>4105438
Burn in is certainly possible, depends on how heavily it was used and what it was showing, honestly. It's kind of weird to see color PVMs as security monitors, all the ones I run into are tiny B&W joints built for that sort of thing.
>>
File: Zelda laughing.jpg (17KB, 256x352px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda laughing.jpg
17KB, 256x352px
>>4105450
So you suffered some... burn in?
>>
>>4105438
>Asked him for a model number but he hasnt replied. So it seems decent enough?
Well if it's the same as this one: >>4105250
then it looks like it's 14 inches and that $60 would be a pretty good deal on it. Fourteen inches is pretty small IMO, but that's about the average size for the PVMs you see people with around here. They say it's fine for desktop use. Maybe you have to have better eyesight than I do for that to be viable. Certainly the larger 19 or 20+ inch models are quite a bit rarer and drastically more expensive.
>>
>>4105524
14" isn't as small as you think at desk level. $60 is reasonable for an RGB capable PVM of that size if it's healthy.
>>
>>4105454
If i get the model number, would i know for certain if its color or black&white?
>>
>>4105547
It's almost certainly color; B&W monitors don't have RGB.
>>
>>4105540
Yeah, like I said it's a pretty good deal. It would be a good "starter" set if anon's looking to spend money. But it's not such an amazing deal that I'd be thinking "buy buy buy!" if I saw it in my area. Seems like it's not being sold by someone who doesn't know what he has, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>4105575
Agreed, anon.
>>
>>4105551
I see, thanks for the info. I do have one problem though; i am going to be out of town and im probably gonna have to ask a friend to pick up the pvm for me, and well he doesnt really know much about displays. Lets say i ask him to just check if the screen is in good condition (not damaged or other obvious signs) , would it be a good 'blind' buy? Any issues such as geometry and color issues should be mostly fixable manually right? Its the only thing keeping me hesitant and i really dont want to wait till i get back from my trip.
>>
File: bulge.jpg (590KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bulge.jpg
590KB, 1024x768px
Got a question about some weird behavior my CRT is exhibiting. When I play certain games that don't take up the entire screen, the TV has some weird geometry issues, like the top-right corner in the photo. I tried using Service Mode to iron it out, but none of the settings really seem to have any effect on it. The weirdness goes away when the game goes full-screen again.

I thought it might've been bad capacitors in my Super Famicom, but then I noticed it happening on my Genesis/Sega CD combo as well.
>>
File: IMAG0362.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0362.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>>4105615

What I don't get is, why does this not happen consistently? This is the same TV on one of the full-screen parts of Earthbound, same hardware.
>>
>>4105615
>>4105623
High voltage regulation. More exactly, lack of or aging HVR
>>
>>4105626

Oh, damn. I'm guessing there's no fix for that short of full-on hardware replacement. Guess I might as well put this one up on Craigslist or something, given that I found it on the curb for free.
>>
>>4105406
Luckily I haven't needed to add any magnets or strips to fix convergence. But I have spent some time adjusting focus, tilt, and geometry physically when the service menu didn't provide what was necessary.

The first time took me about half the day because I had little idea what the fuck I was doing, and I had to keep referencing the manual. Subsequent fixes on my other CRTs went much faster once I knew what I was doing. Maybe an hour or two tops, and only that long due to agonizing over minor details because it's really annoying on the larger CRTs to have to go back in to fix that one thing you missed and can't ignore or un-see afterwards.
>>
>>4105901
What did you do to combat problems on edges of screen? do you just increase size to crop them out of image? CRT I bought has some droopiness at top left corner, right edge, and bottom left regions. I'm not very skilled, so it seemed like the best thing to do was just hide those spots. I have heard those are areas where one might use magnetic strips to fine tune. I also have heard it may be a convergence issue that might be adjustable with the magnetic rings.
>>
File: ??.jpg (1MB, 2500x3333px) Image search: [Google]
??.jpg
1MB, 2500x3333px
Would it be ok if I moved my speakers to the top shelf? Is there appropriate space between the BVM and the 10inch tall speaker? Just about 7 inches between the two.
>>
>>4106091
Depends almost entirely on what type of speakers they are, how big the pole magnets are, and whether they are shielded or not.

Why not download a free gauss meter on your smartphone and do a quick survey around the speakers? Or just move them and see how they affect the picture?
>>
Are B&O CRTs really any good?
>>
>>4106764
50/60hz ones, yes

100hz not so much, same as any other manufacturer in that regard though
>>
File: IMAG0688.jpg (491KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0688.jpg
491KB, 2560x1440px
>>4093218
>>
>>4106532
They are Bose 141 speakers. Really don't know anything else about them beyond that. And I don't want to just play with my picture by moving them around my tv. Do you have an app to recommend? I saw a few that cost money.

Thanks for the response brah
>>
>>4107120
Keuwlsoft makes a good one for Android which is what I used. No idea about iOS though.

You need to measure <80 Microteslas at the intended distance from the monitor's shell. So, if you want to put the speakers 6" from the monitor, measure at that distance from their casing. Obviously magnetic fields are not uniform and have pronounced peaks and troughs so don't just take a reading in one spot and be sure to check for any strong areas of the field which might cause issues.
>>
>>4107436
>6"
Sorry meant 7". Long day...
>>
>>4105942
I have not had much luck with the rings on the neck at the back of the yoke, and generally leave those alone. They would be of use for adjusting convergence though, if you have that issue over a relatively large portion of the screen. If it is only relegated to one or more corners, then strips or small magnets would be far preferable to cracking the rings.

Focus can be adjusted on my CRTs with a separate potentiometer, though rings can be adjusted for this too. That would be a rather dire case, as with the convergence.

Geometry which cannot be adjusted within the service menu is often easily fixed by manually manipulating the yoke directly on the neck of the CRT. The first time I did this I shat bricks the entire time. I was afraid of breaking the neck just getting the yoke loose enough to move enough to make adjustments. While it does require you to take care, you can apply reasonable amounts of pressure to straighten out bowing and make sure that everything lines up straight with the edges. Once I get the left and right perfect, I double-check for convergence issues. If all is still well, I tighten the yoke clamp. From here on, I begin to work the rubber wedges back in around the front of the yoke and the back of the CRT, taking care not to undo the left/right while also doing my best to get the top and bottom straight. This may require extra rubber wedges. I found them online, and with a quick search you will too. Use them to finish securing the yoke. I don't bother with glue or tape, but you might wish to in order to avoid having to make a future adjustment should you have to move the TV or something.

It goes without saying that you need either a console running the 240p suite or a DVD player with a calibration disc or some other way of inputting the signals required to make adjustments while you work. Also a mirror. Preferably a large one.

My method might not be the best, but it works. Good luck!
>>
>>4093227
O shit dude I actually saw this same exact post on Craigslist and I'm thinking of getting it
>>
File: 20170708_220914.jpg (280KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_220914.jpg
280KB, 768x1280px
How do I fix the geometry?
The top half of my screen is shifted to the left slightly and the image gets stretched out at the very top. The service menu hasn't helped with this.

My tv is a Toshiba 30HF85.
>>
>>4093283
Use electrical tape like a normal person. That is just nasty.
>>
>>4109507
Recap the horizontal drive circuit
>>
File: eKbkceK.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
eKbkceK.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
What can I do about this? Has an awful wave at the top left that seems to effect the lever left as well. Also can never get the sides aligned.
http://imgur.com/a/dm3yN
>>
Just got a Viewsonic e90f, looks good but after a while I noticed the picture start shaking for 5 minutes, somebody told me that it might be the flayback.
>>
>>4109735
Did you tried with the service menu?
>>
>>4109964
What refresh rate are you running? Cause if it doesn't match your power, ie 60hz in america, then you'll see this issue if your power supply is on the way out.
>>
>>4110002
There's no option to fix that in the FS120's service menu. Trust me, I've tried several times.
>>
>>4110021
I tried with 60, 75 and 85 but it does the same, I also tried to keep it far away from anything that might cause interference but it keeps doing it.
>>
>>4110212
It's either EMI or a power supply issue. It could go away if you recap it.
>>
Im new to crts and looking to getvs decent tv (or potentially a monitor).

I recently picked one up and it turned out to be an hd crt; needless to say the picture looked almost as bad as on my flatscreen lcd. I have since done a some research on them so that i know what to look for but i have a fee questions.

I looked up the definition of hd and to my understanding it is anything that displays 720i or higher resolution. How do i tell if a given tv is hd? Can i tell by looking at the resolution specifications onnthe back ofvthe tv?

Also, i know i want one with component hookups instead of strictly composite.

Is there anything else i should look for before buying another one? Age range? I was thinking 70s - mid 90s. Frequency output? Im going to want to play 3rd-5th gen on it.
>>
>>4098483
Please respond.
>>
So I wanna be a cheap piece of shit and use emulators on my CRT TV.

I found this compaq presario that only has a dead GPU which can be easily replaced (a 7300LE) with something else.

Which GPU would be recommendable for some emulation + some sort of TV output?
>>
>>4110491
Please help as im about to go on the hunt in my town
>>
>>4110491
Just pick a 4:3 tv, they all are SD.
>>
>>4110491
If you need component, look for silver flatscreen Sony WEGA sets. As >>4111302 said, 4:3 models are going to be SD. Finding non flat-screen tube consumer CRTs with component is doable, but they're much harder to come by in the wild, whereas everyone owned one of the WEGAs. I used one through college for retro and my Xbox 360 over component and it was an awesome set. They're usually 2000s era.
>>
>>4110968
Have you considered a Nintendo Wii? Much easier to get 240p out of and dirt cheap.
>>
>>4111349
Yeah, but PS1 emulation is something I also considered.
>>
File: DSC_0099[1].jpg (2MB, 3443x2243px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0099[1].jpg
2MB, 3443x2243px
Got a "new" crt today from restore. Its a 25" Phillips with component input, curved glass, and good geometry. It must have been installed on an arm because there is still a heavy metal plate attached to the bottom which should help with rotating it. I'm using it with an xp pc running groovymame/crtemudriver. Cost was $5, and they had about 10 more in the same condition. Took some decent pics, so incoming.
>>
File: DSC_0082[1].jpg (3MB, 2244x3984px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0082[1].jpg
3MB, 2244x3984px
>>4111531
>>
File: DSC_0086[1].jpg (3MB, 2244x3984px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0086[1].jpg
3MB, 2244x3984px
>>4111536
>>
File: DSC_0084[1].jpg (4MB, 4375x2992px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0084[1].jpg
4MB, 4375x2992px
>>4111540
>>
File: DSC_0092[1].jpg (1MB, 3316x1473px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0092[1].jpg
1MB, 3316x1473px
>>4111542
>>
>>4111531
nice find, looks killer.
>>
>>4100194

nobody
>>
File: 1499207642653_1.jpg (4KB, 134x134px) Image search: [Google]
1499207642653_1.jpg
4KB, 134x134px
>>4100079
>How the fuck did I end up in this room? Oh god it smells so bad.
>>
File: 00k0k_lITDbzAtic9_600x450.jpg (33KB, 490x450px) Image search: [Google]
00k0k_lITDbzAtic9_600x450.jpg
33KB, 490x450px
Hey guys would this be a decent display for nes through psx gaming? I'm currently using an hdcrt and it is pretty bad, woulf this be at least better?
>>
File: 00x0x_aCKRaNKILqN_50x50c.jpg (977B, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
00x0x_aCKRaNKILqN_50x50c.jpg
977B, 50x50px
>>4111767
Here is the back
>>
File: 00x0x_aCKRaNKILqN_600x450.jpg (25KB, 436x450px) Image search: [Google]
00x0x_aCKRaNKILqN_600x450.jpg
25KB, 436x450px
>>4111770
Well that won't do, here is hopefully a better one
>>
File: 00j0j_hE5RqXEjjAj_1200x900.jpg (90KB, 924x900px) Image search: [Google]
00j0j_hE5RqXEjjAj_1200x900.jpg
90KB, 924x900px
>>4111774
>>
>>4111767
Yeah that'll do fine.

S-video is 90% the quality of RGB and brand new genuine sony PS3 cables are absurdly cheap right now.
>>
>>4111767
That's an awesome set, you won't be disappointed with S-Video for the consoles you mentioned at all.
>>
>>4111812
>>4111845
Most appreciated guys. I will post pics if i am able to get it.
>>
>>4111386
Could try an ArcadeVGA 5000. Not sure how well it emulates 3D stuff though.
>>
>>4111386
http://mame.3feetunder.com/windows-ati-crt-emudriver/

Get the latest card that you can, and a decent processor.
>>
>>4111302
>>4111347

Nah, my KV-27HS420 is 4:3 and HD. It isn't the only one by a long shot, either. All of the early XBRs were 4:3, too. A better rule of thumb is avoid anything with DVI or HDMI ports, though those early XBRs had neither... When in doubt, manualslib.com for reference.
>>
>>4111976
Do those run 1080i over component or something? Analog only HD is strange indeed.
>>
File: download_20170710_214744.jpg (257KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
download_20170710_214744.jpg
257KB, 2048x1152px
This is my current battlestation. Wii + svideo on the left, PC monitor + VGA on the right
>>
File: download_20170710_214750.jpg (583KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
download_20170710_214750.jpg
583KB, 2048x1152px
>>4112397

I like my Wii and consumer tv the best out of both of my CRT's
>>
Is nes limited to composite input? Would it look okay on a general sanyo?
>>
>>4110213
Well, this actually worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6oWhhj2Vo

Also, conecting the monitor on a diferent socket might helped too.
>>
>>4100696

>Only CRT computer monitors and broadcast monitors are good out of the box.

Spending hours adjust geometry settings and needing to adjust the yoke on a PVM....
>>
>>4113065
I envy you snagging a new-in-box PVM, anon.
>>
>>4113106
All types of CRTs age and need adjustment over time is what I mean.
>>
>>4113132
Well of course but that's not "out of the box" now, is it?
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pin-mini-din-NES-RGB-to-Extron-BNC-Phoenix-Pro-Coaxial-Multicore-/162385060412
Anyone knows part number/order code of coaxial cable and DIN plug that can fit cable of this thickness? Most DIN plugs can fit only 6-7mm outer diameter cables.
>>
>>4113383
Just buy that one.

You'd genuinely struggle to make it yourself for much less money.
>>
>>4113407
I want to build cables myself because I have most tools and skills, and my setup needs VGA male ends instead of BNC (for Extron MVX switch).
>>
>>4113425
Pretty sure she gets her cable stock custom made by fuck knows who.

Suitable cable for a DIY equivalent would be Van Damme Red Series 4 core (268-304-020) for the video plus Blue Series 2 pair (268-202-060) for audio. You'll need to strip off the outer jackets and just feed the cores into the DIN and HD15 connectors, trimming down the strain relief and using heat shrink where appropriate.

Or you could just buy that cable and an HD15 to BNC breakout adaptor and save yourself a world of pain and expense....
>>
File: DSCN1069.jpg (291KB, 1224x918px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1069.jpg
291KB, 1224x918px
>>
I got a question as a dev who uses 2D sprites in his games. I know CRT is simply a coincidence and not exactly the product of how 2D sprites choose their colors and style, but considering that everything is done on High def LCD screens these days, what consideration would someone take with making pixel art to say "up the visual qualities" of it? Obviously, the solution is just to not do low res art in the first place, which means throwing away pixel art resolutions and going for high def art that shows no square pixels. Is that the only solution? Or can things be done to say, increase the visual qualities? Maybe antialiasing? Blurring tech? Basically, is seeing each individual pixel in a game good or bad?
>>
Sorry if its not completely related to the thread, but whats the best s video cable for snes / n64 / gamecube outside of the official (and expensive) cables?
>>
>>4113779
hand made ones, a few people make some really nice ones on ebay, ill see if i can find a link.
>>
>>4113779
>>4113793
sorry, just checked and looks like there are currently none availible of the kind i was talking about so just keep looking.

you know its the right one when it has s-video and then the audio only and the cables look like they are a good 1/2 inch to an inch thick.

they cost around $20-30 but the quality is very nice.
>>
>>4113802
>you know its the right one when it has s-video and then the audio only
Sounds like every s-video cable ever
>and the cables look like they are a good 1/2 inch to an inch thick
An inch thick? Are you for real?
>>
>>4113816
yes i am for real, the first obvious part was to make sure you steer clear of those shitty multi cables that have a composite video on it since they usually just wire the s-video to be composite in a different port.
>>
File: Pq2Yra4.png (175KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pq2Yra4.png
175KB, 600x360px
>>4113770
Depends on your preferences. Some idiots (like those in this thread) hunt down professional video monitors and equipment for hundreds of dollars in order to make their pixels look razor-sharp. However, if you are striving for an authentic period-accurate look, that's pretty much besides the point, as nobody back in the day owned or even knew about those devices. An overwhelming majority of people used the RF or composite cables that came with their console on their regular Joe consumer TV.

You can achieve CRT effects by applying shaders. Google the RetroArch analog shader pack to see different examples. Other indie games have gone this way, such as Super Win The Game, see here for some reading material:
http://www.piratehearts.com/blog/2014/03/28/crt-simulation/
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KylePittman/20150420/241442/CRT_Simulation_in_Super_Win_the_Game.php
>>
File: DSCN1106.jpg (267KB, 1224x918px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1106.jpg
267KB, 1224x918px
>>4113816
>>4113831
i did exagerate on the cable thickness but they are still thick as fuck.
>>
>>4113831
Why not just say
>avoid any with a yellow plug
????

Also, the girth you recommended is massively excessive for at most 5 conductors and would actually be a red flag for me that the seller is trying some snake-oil audiophool tactics to cover a shitty cable.
>>
>>4113836
It's moreso if those crt effects are even worth it. i do have a shader to emulate it, but it might be a wasted effort including it. Then again, I can always just keep it as an option for the player to turn on. I was just wondering when it comes to modern monitors if it's even worth it continuing to do low res digital art. I was always of the opinion that the age of pixel art is gone, but retro people keep pushing it along.
>>
>>4113838
None of those cables are more than 1/4" across...
>>
>>4113852
thus why i said i exaggerated as i recall them being significantly thicker than standard cables.
>>
>>4100696
>Don't fall for the flatscreens are shit meme. ALL CRTVs need adjustment to be good.
Every curved that I've gotten (3) in the past 4 years or so doing this hobby have had perfect geometry. I've had maybe 4 flatscreens and they needed adjustment which helped a lot, but are basically impossible to get perfect. Flats do have more inputs, are newer, and usually sharper with more lines. I prefer the curved, its not like there aren't people everywhere just giving these things away.
>>
>>4113838
Yeah that dude from Sweden, right? I have some of those. Pretty good.
>>
I'm the guy who was asking about the Proton tv. I bought it, and in a few hours when I get back to it I'll post a few pictures because this TV is unbelievably good.
>>
I posted in one of these threads a week or so ago about a 5" Sony Color Watchman I found for cheap.

Is composite only alright for a screen this small? I'm not really interested in putting too much effort in if possible, my standards aren't too high as long as it's not a huge difference.
>>
>>4114460
Yeah, composite is fine. The smaller the screen the less noticeable jump in quality is from moving up to something better than composite.
>>
>>4114501
Sweet, the screen isn't here yet, but as soon as I get my hands on it I'll post pictures
>>
File: 20170711_225610.jpg (1023KB, 1922x1081px) Image search: [Google]
20170711_225610.jpg
1023KB, 1922x1081px
>>
How can I tell if a WEGA supports light gun games (with and without a serial number provided)? I know they can't be over 480i but are there any ways that I can tell this based on how the TV looks alone?
>>
>>4114797
If you can read the serial number you can damn well read the model number.
>>
File: IMG_0118.jpg (566KB, 1240x930px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0118.jpg
566KB, 1240x930px
Feel ashamed at asking this but how do I save my adjusted values on a BVM-20g1u?

Haven't used mine for 8 months and can only remember how to save my settings on random PVM's.

Btw how does it look?
>>
>>4114797
do your homework
>>
>>4115081
Press enter then back out of the menu with...menu.

>how does it look?
Interlaced
>>
>>4115091
had a sneaking suspicion that I didn't need to do anything. And yea, I know it's interlaced.
>>
PVM 2950: when I turn it on the screen goes all blue first then all red, then reverts to normal. Is it dying?
>>
>>4115158
yep change the caps.
>>
Is european sony 25b5e with fe-1 chassis any good and does it have rgb?
I have possibility to get one for free.
Tv i use now isnt curved so saturns guns dont work in it, so i need new one.
>>
>>4115363
How can you know the chassis but not whether it has RGB? Is elektrotanya down or something?

Anyhow it's a mid-range Trinitron with one RGB SCART and one S-Video/Composite SCART. Ideal for retro games (including lightgun titles) if you ask me.
>>
>>4115597
>CRT
Didn't know about that site and didn't want to download manuals from random websites with my phone.
Thanks for the info, gonna grab it home then.
>>
File: 00F0F_3UPbBJKOZM6_600x450.jpg (14KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00F0F_3UPbBJKOZM6_600x450.jpg
14KB, 600x450px
Is this TV good? All the listing says is that it's a 33" WEGA and it's free. Don't know what the model number is
>>
>>4116004
>top buttons
>bottom speakers
>WEGA
the wega line is so well documented and this is one of the more atypical models, how can you not id this thing on your own? it's obviously one of the earlier models like an FS17 or FS13, regardless of what it is it will have component so you should get it if it's free and it works.
>>
My tv has a very faint vertical line running from top to bottom, when I slap the tv it goes away for a minute and then comes back. What is it?
>>
Living inside a meme
>>
>>4116004

I have one of those, 27" model and its beautifull.

Also it has component and Svideo so perfect for retro autism
>>
Wowzers

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pho/6164076425.html
>>
>>4116326
>Ideal for retro gaming, professional broadcast, color grading.

One of these things is not like the others...
>>
File: 00b0b_1V36HbowIlY_1200x900.jpg (85KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00b0b_1V36HbowIlY_1200x900.jpg
85KB, 1200x900px
>>4116339
I haven't a clue where to plug in the video.
>>
Just got my AV all setup and wired like an autist for maximum cable efficiency and easy swapping of consoles.

This was a good purchase. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
File: 29qbgig.jpg (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
29qbgig.jpg
75KB, 800x600px
>>4116345
BNC connectors friendo
>>
File: blue-velver-hopper-mad_1.jpg (21KB, 316x317px) Image search: [Google]
blue-velver-hopper-mad_1.jpg
21KB, 316x317px
>>4116326
Good job not taking a clear picture of the inputs or listing the fitted cards and not showing the usage time.

Fucking amateurs...
>>
>>4116360
cool take pictures
>>
>>4116197
idk man, get another one
>>
File: 00d0d_kmcFc43354U_1200x900.jpg (42KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
00d0d_kmcFc43354U_1200x900.jpg
42KB, 480x640px
>>4116174
>>4116325
Alright, this one's up for free as well, which one should I go for?
>>
>>4114347
I want to see the unbelievable good tv.
>>
>>4116380
High chance of convergence or geometry issues in those middle end ones, but otherwise incredible value and everything really.
>>
>>4116380
Go for both, worst case scenario, you toss out the free one.
>>
>>4116408
This, other than people thinking you've lost your mind, and having to lug them there's really no down side.
>>
>>4116385
>>4116408
Okay well I just noticed the second one was 14 days ago anyway so he probably got rid of it by now. The first one was only 4 days ago so hopefully he still has it. Thanks guys :)
>>
>>4116385

Middle end
>>
>>4116419
>other than people thinking you've lost your mind
Man, you too?
>>
>>4116326
>https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pho/6164076425.html
fuck this guy tried contacting him so many times never got back to me
>>
The Sony kv-xbr20 (or xbr25) is the old trinitron that has rgb through a d-sub connector, right?
>>
I asked in the repair/mod thread but it might be more appropriate here;
Is it worth doing a CSync restoration on a 1chip03 snes or do you get equally good results from Sync on Luma cables?
>>
File: s-l1600 (1).jpg (152KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (1).jpg
152KB, 1600x1200px
What are some typical things to be careful of when buying a pvm?

Also what should I know about the Sony PVM-20M4U?

There's a guy selling one right near where I live, but in the description it has a lot of "we have no way of testing everything on this."
>>
Just finished adjusting the focus and geometry of my PVM. No service menu so I had to open the fucking thing up and adjust small nobs on the circuit board with a fucking screw driver. I actually my arm down on...something in there and electrocuted myself--never fucking again.

The geometric distortion's no where near as bad as it was, at least...
>>
>>4117310
>electrocuted
highly doubtful as you somehow managed to type out that post.
>>
>>4116890
Don't even lose sleep over sync autism. I haven't been able to tell any difference between composite sync, clean sync or luma.
>>
>>4117339
Oh, yeah, I forgot I was dead.
>>
>>4117345
Thanks, I figured if I was gonna go for the 1chip03 I should then push to make it as good as possible. Can you tell a diff between the 03 and the other 1chips?
>>
>>4094458
>For whatever reason flat CRT tv's weren't very popular here in australia, everyone pretty much transitioned from 16:9 CRT's to plasma overnight.

Huh? I see flat crts everywhere in Melbourne
>>
Any metal racks I find on amazon that have a depth of 24 inches will always be stupidly tall for no reason. Does anyone have a link or know what to search if I'm looking for a rack that is roughly 50w x 24d x 30 height. Doesn't even have to be 24 it could fuckin 18 or 20 for all I care
>>
>>4117698
You mean those chromed wire ones?

You could just cut down the uprights to whatever height you need. Maybe even make two racks out of one and sell the spare if you don't have a use for it.
>>
>>4117345
>Don't even lose sleep over sync autism
When you need to run all your consoles through RGB switch, which only accepts csync, you have to lose sleep, unfortunately.
>>
>>4117702
Yea that's an idea as long as it doesn't harm the structural integrity.

I'm just pissed now since any metal shelf that is over 18 inches deep is $150+, might just say fuck it all and kms
>>
>>4117345
It depends on how well shielded the cable is for composite sync.
If you get one of these cheap RGB Scart cables from ebay for example you'll see they're all completely unshielded and they're all composite sync.
That'll result in a pretty apparent checkerboard pattern on your screen.
If you go ahead and rewire one of these cables to csync you'll then see that the picture is perfect without any pattern.
So it does seem like composite sync is more prone to interference than csync.
For actual good cables it prolly wont make a difference though.
I dunno about sync on luma though as i've never fiddled with that.
>>
>>4117708
If you're referring to Extrons I'm afraid you've fallen for an oft-repeated fallacy.

They will take any signal you like on the sync ports. Doesn't even need to be sync actually.
>>
>>4117794
Are you sure about that? Will they work with composite sync video just fine?
>Doesn't even need to be sync actually.
But manual says they boost sync signal.
>>
>>4117753
luma doesn't have a subcarrier so no checkerboard.
The advantage is luma is already in specs and readily available at many multi av outs, at worst you need to add 1 or 2 component.
>>
>>4117807
Hmmm, might be that luma or luma on sync was used less often in Europe.

Otherwise I have no idea but I almost never come into contact with anything that has luma or sync on luma wired up.
Same goes for S-Video so I guess that's a consequence of that.

I've honestly never once used S-Video in my entire life...
>>
>>4117817
>I've honestly never once used S-Video in my entire life...
My first S-Video device was PC-FX I got last year.
Before that I've only used composite or RGB.
>>
>>4117408
bump;
looking on ebay there's a good condition 1chip01 for £125 and a 1chip03 for £140. Would you opt for the 03 in that situation? I'm replacing my 2chip so am also looking for a console in cosmetically good condition
>>
>>4117817
in case someone plug the console on scart 2 or higher which most of the time doesn't support RGB, there's composite to fallback.
>>
File: maxres33333fault (7).jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
maxres33333fault (7).jpg
16KB, 355x355px
Will using one of these on an RGB monitor with no S-Video ports be fine for N64 and Gamecube?
>>
>>4118016
So long as the SCART port in question supports S-Video (quite a few don't) then sure, why not?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170713-172830_1.jpg (245KB, 986x1478px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170713-172830_1.jpg
245KB, 986x1478px
Just snagged a 10" caravan-type Roadstar TV on eBay and was pleasantly surprised by the service manual. Seems like a lot to have fun with - note in particular the de-interlace option...

1/3
>>
File: Screenshot_20170713-172941_1.jpg (231KB, 1006x1510px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170713-172941_1.jpg
231KB, 1006x1510px
>>4118190

2/3
>>
File: Screenshot_20170713-173533_1.jpg (281KB, 1000x1502px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170713-173533_1.jpg
281KB, 1000x1502px
>>4118191

3/3
>>
>>4117291
take a console with the svideo cable and try it out. Or get an rca to bnc connector and try composite. If it looks good then you're good.
>>
Do CRTs exist that don't have a high pitch noise, or at least less noise? I don't remember it being as bad as it is.

I dig our and turned on my Sanyo from years past and was struck by how noticeable it is. Now i don't recall if the noise was something i just got used to or if it's a product of the TV being old or if there's something wrong with it.
>>
>>4118287
I've never had this issue, look for a different crt, and if you still can hear it, go with a vga monitor. It will refresh higher than humans can hear.
>>
>>4118287
All CRTs do it, anons that can't hear it have simply lost that frequency, and most of us will over time. I can tune it out, but it's like a dog-whistle for my girlfriend, she can't even be in the same room when any of my CRTs are on. PVMs tend to be worse than consumer sets, based on my anecdotal evidence.
>>
>>4118364
That's what i was thinking. Damn, I don't know how I tuned it out so well back in the day, i really don't really remember it being as noticeable as it is.

I busted it out to play some rhythm games on my ps2, luckily once the music plays i can tune it out for the most part.
>>
>>4118395
I think CRTs were so ubiquitous it was just a thing we didn't notice, like refrigerator humming or fluorescent light noise. I mean my girlfriend and I both had CRTs in our apartments while we were in college (~2007-2011), and it didn't bother her then and it wasn't even something I noticed. LCDs and HDTVs have really changed the TV landscape in a remarkably short amount of time. It's certainly better when there's sound on and an image being displayed on the tube, its at its worst on a blank screen.
>>
>>4118364
>>4118395
>>4118414
i always noticed the CRT sound growing up, it just never bothered me.
>>
>>4118414
I've always noticed it and I've always hated it.
>>
>>4118467
>>4118421
Fair enough, anons.
>>
Asked this in /g/ but it got ignored. You guys would probably know.

I got an amp that does 100 watts x2, 8ohms.

It works just fine with two speakers rated at 10-80 watts per channel and 4-8 ohms.

Now I want to add two more speakers rated at the same levels.

Is the amp able to handle two more speakers? I plan on using 2 speakers at a time for the most part but occasionally I'll be using all 4 at the same time.
>>
No PVMemes in my area. Are Olympus broadcast monitors any good?
>>
>>4103080
>>4103082
>>4103085
hey, im a simpleton, can you tell me what parts you've got there and how they go together
>>
File: IMG_0225.png (629KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0225.png
629KB, 640x1136px
$50 too much?
>>
Anyone here use rf for their nes?
>>
>>4119489
Is there a reason why you do?
>>
>>4119364
its a crt hdtv, you dont want it for retro games.
>>
>>4119490
I dont have any other hookup :(
>>
>>4119491
Its looks like a 4:3 SD Tv
>>
>>4119537
it took 5 seconds to look up the model number on the list, its a hi-scan model which means 853x1080i, not 480i.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA
>>
>>4119202
soon my dood
>>
>>4118773
Literally rebranded PVMs. Just watch out for screen burn-in.
>>
I didn't know where also to ask this question so I came here. I got a CRT TV for free today, and the picture is nice enough, but the brightness on the screen changes and flickers dramatically at times, usually depending on what's on the screen. I checked the settings and there's nothing about dynamic contrast or anything like that. It's a Phillips.
>>
>>4101278
no suggestions on how to fix a broken hdmi port?
>>
>>4119541
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

Neither the FS 210 nor the FS170 are actually Hi-scan sets. In both user manuals, it clearly states that the Component inputs are 480i only. Which means that they only do 480i. I think the only reason that they got included into the Hi-Scan category is due to their WEGA branding, which other SD Trinitrons do not have.

>>4119364
That being said, yeah $50 is a bit much for what basically amounts to an flat screen SD Trinitron, unless it's either an FV300 or FV310. You will get essentially the same screen, speakers, and service menu options with a different model number containing FS or FV for any other Sony flat screen SD Trinitron from the early 2000's anyway. And many are either being given away or can be had for much less than $50. The caveat to this it that if it's the only one in your area, then go for it then.
>>
>>4120002
Thank you for the advise!

I found a KV-27V40 for $10. Is this one of the models desirable for retro gaming?
>>
>>4119762
I think most of them were used as the video display for endoscopes and have low hours. OEV203 is a good one, its the same as the Sony PVM-20M2MDU. I've got one. Check out dotmed from time to time, that's a good place to find them.
>>
I might be getting a Mitsubishi Megaview 42, anything I should know? Its refurbished. I want it to play SNES via RGB, will it work?
>>
Going to try wiring a female scart to Sony's 34 pin rgb multi out. Anybody have experience?
>>
>>4120368
I jumped on it. I want a CRT for nostalgia reasons and it seemed like a good one for a good price. Ordering an svid canle now
>>
>>4120598
Not exactly but I do have a floppy drive cable ready to go if I ever tire of using my Profeel's SCART socket.
>>
Anyone else got a 3.58 trap filter button? I can't tell a difference, so I just leave it on.
>>
>>4120598
if you're making a cable make sure to use 75 ohm coax. also treat all grounds pins as separate signals (dont tie them all together)
>>
>>4119606
thanks. i really dont want to spend £200 on one of these cards
>>
>>4121060
I use the braided sheathing of each cable as the corresponding ground, right?
>>
File: IMG_20170714_210712.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_210712.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I was trying to adjust the yoke from a Sony WEGA when I found it glued, they glued them on purpose?, how do I remove it?
>>
>>4117817
>>4117807
>>4117753
I've been reading that the PAL SNES consoles also don't have native CSync, but can do Sync on Luma.
Also sounds like from an image quality point of view, Sync on Luma is equally as good as CSync
>>
>>4121434
Its so they dont movr during shipping but some tvs use a ring that tighens down on them
>>
>>4119364
I just happened to buy one of this exact model type this past Tuesday for $20 from someone 2 miles away from my home through OfferUp. Mine's dated from March 2006 and I think it's pretty good, though I've found it gives off a slight sea-greenish hue to the picture no matter how I fiddle with the color options; still for $20 it's a step up from the 20'' RCA from 1990 I'd been using, so see if you can haggle the price.
>>
>>4121535
that said, i see these are available, which goes against what i was reading elsewhere;

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUPER-NINTENDO-SNES-PAL-RGB-SCART-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC
>>
>>4121585
To be fair anyone can fit an lm1881 in the scart head and achieve the same end result:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/composite-sync-stripper-lm1881/

Hell, you could buy RGC's own Syncblaster PCB at a fraction of the cost and semi-DIY it:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SYNC-SEPARATOR-CIRCUIT-BOARD-LM1881-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC-PCB-STRIPPER
>>
>>4121591
what would you opt for out of CSync and Luma Sync for a PAL SNES?
>>
>>4119762
>>4118773
Depends on the model 202/142 and 203/143 are both Sony; Older isn't.

>>4120563
If you mean an AM-4201r, expect a sore back for yourself and any one who helps you move it. Massive RGB CRT but not off-puttingly sharp. Will without a doubt NEED Composite Sync rather than Composite Video or Sync on Luma for RGBS.

>>4121434
A thin razorblade should be enough to separate each ring from the other; Make sure you mark the current alignment with the tube itself before you move any of them.
>>
>>4119814
Your free tv is shit, m8.
>>
Page 10

New Thread:
>>4122159
>>4122159
>>
Why the fuck is there another crt thread
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 100

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.