[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good quality PSU?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: nvidiaad.jpg (532KB, 1280x1687px) Image search: [Google]
nvidiaad.jpg
532KB, 1280x1687px
Any recommendations for a good PSU for old PC builds?

I've been browsing around google for last week trying to find a quality power supply with -5 so I can use it for motherboards with AT and early ATX standards. Haven't had any luck.
>>
File: intelad1998.jpg (473KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
intelad1998.jpg
473KB, 1280x1707px
Nothing?
>>
>>3981995
>>3982380
Wrong board and not retro
>>
>>3982383
kill yourself cuck
>>
>>3982383
How are AT and early ATX power supplies not retro, young one?
>>
>>3982385
>>3982386
Go to >>>/g/pcbg then you mong. They will probably help more than us
>>
>>3982394
/g/ is nothing but underage reddit these days. No help.
>>
>>3981995
What's your definition of "good" and "high quality"? None of the AT PSUs for IPCs up to your standards?
>>
>>3983092
Will these work or are they some odd ATX standard? I was unaware of them. Do you have a recommended manufacturer?

I see FSP showing up in google.
>>
ATX power supply are AT compatible. You literally just need a pigtale to go from 20pin ATX to AT.

Just by a 80plus 200-300w supply and you'll be fine.
>>
>>3983157
They're whatever they say they are. (Unless they are lying). The thing with IPCs is they're designed for systems that are supposed to last a long time. Like controllers for machinery that lasts for decades. But parts like PSUs go bad. So people still make old AT PSUs and other replacement parts.
FSP is just the new name for SPI. They've been making good PSUs for ages. I have a lot of these.
>>
>>3981995
Why are you building an old pc?
Would that work better for old pc games than a modern pc?
Also what timeframe are you shooting for?
>>
>>3983421
BS ALERT
No -5V nor -12V there anon thus not compatible
>>
File: atx-psu-pinouts.gif (9KB, 516x265px) Image search: [Google]
atx-psu-pinouts.gif
9KB, 516x265px
>>3983596
Dude, yes it does.
And I've personally ran AT boards with modern PSUs. Shit was standardized this way in the 90s to insure backwards compatibility.
>>
>>3983529
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find one in stock...
>>3983536
>Why are you building an old pc?
Fun and to have things that I couldn't afford back in the day.
>Would that work better for old pc games than a modern pc?
Guess it depends on the game.
>Also what timeframe are you shooting for?
I'm American if that's what you're asking.
>>3983608
>>3983421
Modern ATX has no -5v. You're wrong and ignorant of the standards. Specifically see the ATX 2.0 and later standards which all "normal" PSUs are.
>>
>>3983996
>Modern ATX has no -5v. You're wrong and ignorant of the standards. Specifically see the ATX 2.0 and later standards which all "normal" PSUs are.
Welp, I stand corrected. Can't say I don't feel dumb.
To try to make up for it I have been trying to find (new) PSUs that follow ATX12V 1.2 or earlier but I'm struggling as well. The fact that you can't simply search "-5v" because it acts as a regular expression does not help. Guess the times I've ever used ATX for AT power I've always had a supply with -5v by chance.
>>
>>3984194
From what I understand the -5v is only for ISA slots. So the mobo will turn on with out the -5v line just you can't use ISA slots.

And I can't find much. All these FSP power supplies are legacy or just not for sale it seems.
>>
>>3984208
This whole thing comes at a funny time that I'm waiting for a P2 PC coming in the mail right now to play dos and 90s windows games.
Picked up a SB16 CT2230 ISA card for full dos compatibility, but now I'm realizing I'll probably need to pick up a PSU as well. Fug.
>>
Finally found a newly manufactured ATX power supply that does include the -5v rail

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-Computer-Power-Supply/dp/B00005133U/ref=pd_cp_147_1

Only 230w, but that will drive most retro PCs, would be pushing it for some later ones like if you are using a P3
>>
>>3984257
Not really inspiring much confidence in the quality.
>>
>>3984280
Most PSUs back in the day only gave about 100-200w of power. This fits the bill for most retro or low end gear. Would only question it if you had a P4, or a super hungry video card like the VooDoo5
>>
>>3984310
The watts rating is fine. It's the warranty and questionable performance of it.
>>
>>3984461
Fair enough.
Unfortunately it seems to be slim pickings. I figured for niche use like powering controllers there would be a few manufactures left, and maybe there are but god damn their hard to find.
Was about to ask on Vogons what they use... Hope the answer isn't "ebay".
>>
>>3983596
>>3983996
Most 20 pin PSUs have -5

>>3984194
Search for AT power supplies. Anyone who still makes them also makes ATX with -5. And they are high quality designed for IPCs and will last for ages. I have 20+ year old AT power supplies that are still working.
Or just search FSP300-60PLN. Seems to be a readily available 20+4 with -5vcd from SPI.

>>3984208
Depending how old your board is -5vdc could be used for all sorts of things. Early DRAM used -5 so yeah, maybe you can turn it on without that but you aren't going to be doing much without RAM.
>>
>>3984626
>FSP300-60PLN
Thank you anon. This seems to be what I was looking for.

Do you have any examples of other components needing -5v? I only ask because I'm curious.
>>
>>3984812
Old floppy controllers used it. Plenty of industrial controllers did. I've seen it used on some old RS-232 boards. Maybe NICs. I believe there was an old parallel standard to provided power to devices that might have used it as well. All of this was 30+ years ago so forgive me if my memory is a bit foggy.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.