[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite /vr/ belt-sander?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 19

File: 39216-Streets_of_Rage_2_(USA)-1.jpg (56KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
39216-Streets_of_Rage_2_(USA)-1.jpg
56KB, 640x448px
What is your favorite /vr/ belt-sander?
>>
>>3803056
Sorry, my belt-sander was made after the year 2000. It's pretty good though.

If you meant Beat 'em up games, the one you posted is pretty rad.
>>
>>3803056

My favorite beat 'em up is Aliens vs Predator by Capcom.
>>
>Some anon used the term "belt-scroller" on his OP. This angers me! Instead of sulking up to this and contributing to his thread, let's filled this already slow board with passive aggressive shitposting by making a pointless new thread.
>>
>>3803274
You idiot, this thread is about belt-sander games, not belt-scroller games.
>>
I don't want to talk about Ribbon Panners

this is now a thread about Kino Ledgeclimbers

my favorite is Flashback. what are yours?
>>
Cadillac and Dinosaurs is my favorite wickity wack side smack walker.
>>
>>3803278
It's pretty obvious you or someone else created this thread as a reaction to this thread (>>3803030). But hey, let me not get in the way of your """funposting""". It's not like you faggots bringing down the overall quality of /vr/ or anything.
>>
>>3803056
It really depends on the job. I wouldn't want to sand the floor with a benchtop sander or send a post with a floor sander.
>>
File: 118124213964.png (18KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
118124213964.png
18KB, 304x224px
Mutation Nation had some cool levels and enemies
>>
>>3803294

I suspect you're new.
>>
File: super-ghouls-n-ghosts-01.png (173KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
super-ghouls-n-ghosts-01.png
173KB, 640x480px
>>3803056
>>
>>3803056
You just posted my favorite roony toony beat up goonies game.
>>
File: 1a1a1PoweredSandersTT04.jpg (38KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
1a1a1PoweredSandersTT04.jpg
38KB, 300x199px
>>3803056
Most of my co-workers swear by the DeWalt Sanders but I've had nothing but good luck with Milwaukee's so that's what I run.
>>
>>3803573
One of the few worthwhile walking beaters on the Geo.
>>
>>3804142
>Milwaukee
Yeah buddy!

My favorite Jab n Jog is Final Fight.
>>
>>3804228
>Jab n Jog
>not Jabberwalky
Missed opportunity m8.
>>
>/vr/ is too dumb to get a conveyor belt metaphor
rly makes u think
>>
>>3804151
None of them are worthwhile. Not even Sengoku 3.
>>
File: ignorant_babby_award.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
ignorant_babby_award.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3804271
>I'm too dumb to realize that referring to an entire genre by a movement mechanic ubiquitous across virtually all of gaming is vague and moronic
>>
File: mr-t.gif (858KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
mr-t.gif
858KB, 1280x960px
>>3804268
That's a pretty good one
>>
>>3803284
best in thread
>>
>>3804305
That's like saying it's dumb to differentiate between 2D and 3D, dumb penguinposter.
>>
>>3804305
It's not like other genre's aren't defined by their movement.
Platformer: a game where you jump on platforms.
Sidescroller: a game where the object is to get to the other side of the map, hence the screen scrolls sideways.
>>
>>3804346
The problem is that 'belt scroll' or side scroll actually only fits the shitty beat em ups that are flat in design. The ones that matter have platforming and vertical exploration included. It's a term used by Japanese, AKA people who don't really have any mastery on English language. You'd be a weeaboo to insist that term. Now, fuck off and lurk the fuck more, or go hang out with /jp/ where your vomit inducing wapanese circlejerk is the norm.
>>
File: IMG_1696.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1696.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>3804409

This is an impressive, almost /vp/ level of autism. I'm proud of you, son.
>>
File: turbo_ignorance_award.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
turbo_ignorance_award.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3804327
>>3804346
>SpyHunter is a belt stroller, because belts can also scroll vertically
>Super Mario Bros is a belt scroller, because the screen scrolls as you move
>Tecmo Bowl is a belt scroller, because the field scrolls as your yardage changes
>Zaxxon is an early example of devs using diagonal belts
>>
>>3803294
That's a thread for belt-scrollers, this is a thread for belt-sanders, moron.
>>
>>3804428
You're a belt scroller because you have to scroll a 48" belt around your midriff to keep your pants up.
>>
>>3803056
SoR3 is my favorite Me Against the Neighborhood
>>
>>3804428
Way to prove you don't understand what belt scrolling means.

But I'll humor you. Stand next to a conveyor belt and look around. Notice how the shape of the belt is similar to the level structure of a beat 'em up? The width, or verticality, is narrower than the length, or horizontality. Also, notice how stop and go beat 'em ups play. You have to clear a screen before progressing forward. Like how items on a conveyor belt are moved along, stopped to be worked on, and then moved further on down the belt. Perhaps now you'll understand why the belt scroller metaphor is used to describe these type of games. Oh, and it's ironic you're calling others ignorant when I had to explain something even a kindergartener could've easily picked up on.
>>
File: logo-large.png (3KB, 284x115px) Image search: [Google]
logo-large.png
3KB, 284x115px
>>3803274
>>3803294
>>
>retards who haven't 1cc'd a single game in the genre discussing about how it should be called
cute
>>
>>3806271
>he hasn't beaten at least 25 games in the genre without getting hit a single time
>he thinks he's allowed to post on this board
adorable
>>
>>3806271
whom are you quoting?
>>
File: brawlbrothers.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
brawlbrothers.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>3806271
I 1cc'd Double Dragon, so I say beat'em ups should be called beat'em ups

And any britbong that calls a 2D fighter a "beat'em up" gets castrated
>>
>>3806319
>I 1cc'd a crappy easy game so I should decide the name of the genre
You are giving your side a bad name
>>
>>3806286
undercover cops stage 2 boss.
>>
File: giphy.gif (388KB, 290x244px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
388KB, 290x244px
>>3806354
>>
File: 978083752.jpg (51KB, 319x512px) Image search: [Google]
978083752.jpg
51KB, 319x512px
>>3806354
>undercover cops
Irem is based
>>
>>3806363
>Irem America tells Irem Japan to make a platformer based on baseball players
>they send back Ninja Baseball Batman

B A S E D
>>
File: gfs_59031_2_10.jpg (87KB, 800x611px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_59031_2_10.jpg
87KB, 800x611px
>>3806359
>>3806286
Guardians Denjin Makai II first boss.
>>
File: animaniacs-09.png (160KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
animaniacs-09.png
160KB, 640x480px
Animaniacs
>>
>>3806224
>Notice how the shape of the belt is similar to the level structure of a beat 'em up?
Notice how scrolling isn't exclusive to beat 'em ups, leading to the criticism that the term "belt scroller" is unintuitive and inferior at describing the core gameplay?

>The width, or verticality, is narrower than the length, or horizontality.
It's funny how a belt looks different from different angles.

>notice how stop and go beat 'em ups play. You have to clear a screen before progressing forward. Like how items on a conveyor belt are moved along, stopped to be worked on, and then moved further on down the belt.
Notice that not all assembly lines are the same. Recognize that they traverse arbitrary lengths before stopping. Remember that other games with scrolling screens also stop from time to time, such as boss fights in games like Gradius or Contra. Realize that this is the same type of movement as beat 'em ups with different spans between stops. Oh, and not all conveyer belts have to stop ;^)

>it's ironic you're calling others ignorant when I had to explain something even a kindergartener could've easily picked up on
It's sad that you not only fail to understand that the criticism of the term "belt scroller" is that it's not actually descriptive, you also have to come up with an explanation of the metaphor that no one else here (even other proponents of the term) has ever used--and yet you condescendingly imply that it's immediately apparent!
>>
File: dheaddy.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dheaddy.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
What did /vr/ think of the belt scrolling section in Dynamite Headdy?
>>
>>3804309
Where's the Hillary one?
>>
File: D&D_Shadow_player_select.gif (229KB, 766x442px) Image search: [Google]
D&D_Shadow_player_select.gif
229KB, 766x442px
I wish I was better at this game, I fucking loved it.
>>
Both beat 'em up and belt-scroller are flawed terms 2bh, no idea how spergs feel so strongly about one of the other.
>>
>>3806907
why is beat 'em up flawed?
>>
File: 1483857621165.gif (678KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1483857621165.gif
678KB, 480x320px
>>3806796

That stage's tune is my jam.
>>
>>3806918
Because you are putting shit like Shatterhand in the same genre as Alien vs Predator which doesn't make sense. On the other hand there are games like Ninja Warriors Again that have all the elements of the genre but can't be called a "belt-scroller" because of no belt.

both are flawed, don't be so silly fighting over one
>>
>>3806796
that's a broken belt m8
>>
>>3806931
shatterhand, any fighting game, and some others like godhand. flawed seems a bit strong, but i guess it is, so i see what you mean.

i wouldn't call the terms equally flawed, though. why use screen behavior as the primary descriptor over a core gameplay mechanic?

i don't have a dog in the hunt (rarely play the games; didn't post in this thread before that question); it's just very curious to me.

anyway, my favorite is turtles in time, jostling obvious badguys.
>>
>>3806985
>why use screen behavior as the primary descriptor over a core gameplay mechanic?
The belt is a core gameplay mechanics in most of the games from the genre. Melee combat isn't a gameplay mechanic per se, you can have melee combat in literally every genre.
>>
>>3806931
But Shatterhand is a platformer though.
>>
>>3807043
Would you say the Double Dragon NES games aren't beat 'em ups because they have platforming? The problem is that the beat 'em up term is so awfully inclusive that anything with melee combat can be a beat 'em up regardless of how the game plays.
>>
>>3803056
In Australia we call them Walkies.
>>
>>3803056
Why is Streets of Rage 3 so inferior for? Is it just the emulator or was the game like this? Golden Axe 3 is even worst. What the hell happened to these 3's? The previous games were great.
>>
>>3807161
Golden Axe 3 is great though.
>>
>>3807171
It really isn't. That shit is so fucking clunky and stiff. Golden Axe 2 is much faster pace and smoother to play.
>>
>>3807161
>Why is Streets of Rage 3 so inferior for?
Because you're a drone cunt with a tribal opinion, i'l take sor3 over clunky shit slow fest 2 which is carried 100% by its soundtrack. As a jeff mills fan i even prefer 3 in this regard to.
>>
>>3807039
The core gameplay with beat 'em ups isn't just that characters primarily use melee attacks, it's that the game is almost entirely them meandering from one point to another and beating the shit out of whoever gets in their way.

In contrast, games like Shatterhand or Strider are action-platformers, because most of the actual gameplay is about navigating physical obstacles of the level with enemies sprinkled in. Meanwhile, traditional fighting games are just two dudes pitted against each other as if it's two randos getting into a fight. The object isn't to make some douche pay for slowing you down or to jump over ledges. It's just "kick this guy's ass!"
>>
>>3807484
Oh, and I'll add that I personally like the term "brawler" over "beat 'em up", as it's more intuitively descriptive. However, I recognize "beat 'em up" as more broadly accepted.
>>
>>3803056
belt sander is way too cool of a name for a genre as lame as beat em ups
>>
>>3803056
target renegade
>>
>>3807484
Well wiki disagrees with you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatterhand

But even then, your description is still way too open, games like Altered Beast, China Warrior or Green Beret could perfectly fit that description and they play way too different to belt-scroller to be part of the same genre.
>>
>>3808026
That's because Altered Beast isn't a belt scroller. Belt scroller only applies to games you can move 3D in, but the game is all sprites. The camera is a bit angled to let you have this movement. Another camera system is top-down, used in such brawlers as Gaiapolis.
>>
>>3808123
>you can move 3D in
It's called a depth axis.
>>
>>3808123
>That's because Altered Beast isn't a belt scroller.
Which was my point.
Beat 'em up is a too generic term that can be used for games that play way too differently. Belt-scroller is more limited but at least most belt-scroller share similar gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>3808026
>wiki disagrees with you
Uh, you sure about that? The article strongly describes it as an action game. The "beat 'em up" mention under the "genre" listing is literally the only place the term is used.

Oh, and the article timestamp says it was edited 2 months ago.
>>
>>3808173
>The "beat 'em up" mention under the "genre" listing is literally the only place the term is used.
Proof enough that anything with hand-to-hand combat is a beat 'em up for a lot of people.
>>
File: 4353534.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
4353534.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
>>3804426
Help me balance my emtions anon
>>
>>3807461
No I am not just droning here. SOR 3 sound is way off and often the sound effects won't even play. Sometimes for example when you do bare knuckle he will say it and other times he won't. The game also looks a bit more choppy as if it is running at a lower fps than SOR 2.

The controls seem nice but the fps and awful sound is definitely not good. SOR 2 and even 1 by comparison are way smoother to play. This very same thing seems to be an issue with Golden Axe 3.

I'm pretty sure it must be because they attempted to add more detail to the graphics for these games. It hurt the gameplay. Golden Axe 3 is especially awful. Jesus that game is just plain bad and blocking seems so random in the game. Clunky awful shit is what it is. TMNT Hyperstone Heist plays fine so it is definitely just the fact that those games were designed awful. Fucking Sega I swear.
>>
>>3808430
Isn't that caused by stereo sound on a monorual TV? Sonic had the same problem because it alternated speakers for ring pickups
>>
>>3804409
>playing japanese games
>using american words to describe the gameplay
>>
>>3806985
>turtles in time, jostling obvious badguys
Nice.

Overall, though, I prefer Badguy Jostlers.

Succinct. Rolls off the tongue.
>>
>>3808458
Yes. I haven't had the sound problem on a stereo TV.
>>
>>3808458
Sonic doesn't have any problem on the emulator. Even taking away the sound issue SOR3 still seems to play at a worst fps than the second game.
>>
>>3803593
This game caused my dad and I so much stress. It took us literally years to beat the 2nd to last boss on the 2nd run through. The bracelet was a shit-tier weapon. Whoever tested the game for balance must have had autism.

We did finally beat it after a while though.
>>
Men, how do we save this genre?
>>
>>3809781
Store your games in places without humidity
>>
>>3807161
Reasons why Streets of Rage 2 is garbage in comparison to the other games in the series.

Lets begin with the meat of the game
>Combat
The combat in SOR2 is incredibly slow and unresponsive, theres huge delays on everything moving and attacking is not fluid, the super attacks in the game punish the player with huge chunk of health loss and are more or less completely useless outside of committing suicide unlike the other games which limit but dont punish the player for smart use of specials.

SOR2 also has no coop/team moves, throwing the other player in the other games resulted in a powerful special attack which was both fun and rewarding, also holding the other player from the back gave them access to new moves like a long range kick that could knock down multiple enemies and vault attacks, these are COMPLETELY missing from SOR2

Another feature missing from SOR2 is the Fatguys, a staple of the series while they have a sprite in game they simply function exactly like normal enemies and can be thrown normally with no repercussions.

>Level Design
Another huge flaw in SOR2 is the level design. Levels in SOR2 are nonsensical and completely unfitting for the games setting, "a pirate ship" "an alien hive" "a baseball field" its just stuff thrown together with no rhyme or reason.
Aesthetics is only the tip of the iceberg with SOR2 however, stages in SOR or extremely short with many bosses being copy pasted and reused over and over again from previous stages giving the game an overall unfinished feel, also once again the game removes series staples such stage hazards like pits, hazardous factory machines and others, and while the game has an excuse for lift stage it is completely impossible to actually throw someone over the side making it just another generic level.

>Music
While generally being praised as having good music what most people dont know is that all the music in SOR2 is entirely 100% stolen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x8xnkxUNkM
>>
>>3809892
J O G A B I L I T Y
>>
>>3809892
>what most people dont know is that all the music in SOR2 is entirely 100% stolen
Whilst i agree with your assessment in general i think you're missing the point on this bit, the achievement was yuzo getting the soundchip to do what he did in the first place via using his own programming language.
>>
Golden Axe is the greatest Everyone Hates Me.
>>
>>3809781

You can't the only one still making them is IGS and in the indie world all they ever do is wank off river city ransom.
>>
>>3810070
And Vanillaware
>>
>>3809892

this "similar to/inspired by means stolen" meme needs to die, some of these are definitely a bit more similar than others, admittedly.
>>
>>3809892
You're a massive faggot. 2 > the rest
>>
>>3810214
It's some faggot who gets his panties in a twist anytime someone mentions Yuzo. Report and ignore.
>>
>>3810226
No 2 is the worst game in the series

>Streets of Rage 1
Rough around the edges but still a great game, perfect embodiment of 80's action movie, good music, great level design, art is gritty and contrasting which fits the theme of the game perfectly.

>Streets of Rage 2
Bright and colorful looks more like a 90's Saturday morning cartoon than an 80's action movie. Rushed out the door in under a year after SoR1 blatantly unfinished, some stages are missing bosses and enemies/bosses are copy pasted multiple times, level design is poor with most stages being nonsensical with the feeling they were just thrown in with no rhyme or reason just to fill a checklist, many features are missing such as 2 player team attacks, stage hazards, pitfalls, weapons, fat enemies can be thrown like normal etc. Combat is very slow and infinites are rampant, game is horribly unbalanced and extremely easy even on "mania" the game also has many game breaking glitches and exploits such as getting infinite lives and random crashes.

>Streets of Rage 3
Return to its roots, more gritty and darker than SoR2, game-play and combat is the best it has ever been its fast fluid and has more depth than the other games, level design is also great with branching paths, multiple interactables, stage hazards. 2 player team attacks are back and fat enemies can no longer be thrown like regular enemies, most of the missing weapons from SoR2 also return. Bosses are all unique with interesting and unique mechanics making them very fun to fight against, the game has multiple hidden extra characters and bonuses and the game is very challenging. SoR3 actually pioneered a new genre of music

Only a brain damaged retard with absolutely zero taste would claim 2 was better than 1 or 3
>>
>>3810226
>Every track in the game is literally copy pasted
>"Inspired"

lol
>>
>>3811318
>SoR3 actually pioneered a new genre of music
Not this fucking bollocks AGAIN, it fucking plagiarized jeff mills brand of detroit techno that was happening since fucking 89.
>>
>>3810214

Dude come on. Most of the Sor1/2 soundtrack is straight up plagarized
>>
>>3811318
>Bar is a front for crime like drug deals. They put a stop to that and decide to check out his other industries.
>Highway is blocked off. They cross it on foot to the amusement park.
>Amusement Park was built to make Mr. X look good. They run into the serial killer Souther and kick the shit out of him.
>Stadium is used to literally cover up an illegal fighting ring. They run into Abadede and kick the shit out of him for info.
>Boat ferries supplies to Mr. X's private island. They get on the boat and kick the shit out of everyone.
>Mr. X's island, they bare knuckle their way through to deal with Mr. X
>Mr. X's factory is where his robots and cyborgs come from and probably weapon manufacturing. They head through it to reach Mr. X's actual HQ.
>Mr. X's actual HQ
>>
>>3811465
>>
>>3806359
>>3806363

Had this recommended to me in the positivity thread the other day. Don't know if you're in here bro but thanks for the recommendation. Any game where the girl character has a leaping butt attack is alright in my book.
>>
>>3813150
It's a fantastic game, i'm close to the 1cc atm using matt.
>>
>>3814369
do it without his cheezy shoulder tackle, scrub
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.