[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some new insights you gained on the games you loved as a kid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: Mortal Kombat.gif (2MB, 550x565px) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Kombat.gif
2MB, 550x565px
What are some new insights you gained on the games you loved as a kid?
>>
I've gone around the twist. MK is so over the top that you just take it at face value.
>>
>>3776065
Same than OP.

Also: most 3D games from the 90s look like total rubbish man
>>
>>3776065
As a kid I never understood why there was so much blood or why everyone had to be mutilated when it was just a martial arts tournament
>>
I used to love it, but now I can't stand Mortal Kombat.
Awful games with awful character design, flash over substance in the worst sense, it gave birth to edgy games marketed as "adult" games. OK, it wasn't the first, but was the most popular.
>>
File: PSOGL2_001.jpg (949KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_001.jpg
949KB, 1920x1080px
This thread has a high chance of catching fire an burning to the ground. That being said I cringe sometimes at certain types of sexuality but it really has to be a specific blend of elements to irritate me

Kinds I like or dont mind

>Self aware bimbos with a touch of satire ala Red Alert 2
>static babes like in racing or boxing games
>Strong females with amazing bodies like laura croft or amazon women
>hookers

Kinds I dont like
>Strong female mercenaries that exist only to be interrupted during arguments and or sexually dominated later in the game by a one dimensional meat head
>Developers using their game as a platform to vent thier specific attractions to certain body traits
>Any out of place POV sex scene in an action oriented game. "Bitch get offa me I'm trying to save the world"[\spoiler]
>>
File: Mortalkombat1.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mortalkombat1.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
>>3776086
So much this. I think only people who saw MK before they were 10 or so actually thought it was edgy. I loved the series, but it's always been goofy as fuck.

>>3776108
It's like a live action cartoon.
>>
>>3776065
>gratuitously gross
What an ugly phrase.
>>
>>3776860
you could say its a gratuitously gross phrase
>>
File: 1365545287074.jpg (752KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1365545287074.jpg
752KB, 1920x1200px
It saddened me to learn how much content was cut from this game
>>
>>3776868
It saddened me to learn that artwork wasn't ever made as part of the game it was just an awesome painting they slapped their characters on and then used in all their promotions.
>>
>>3776868
Well now it's officially canon.
>Ice Goblin & Forest Imp seal of approval.
>>
Yoshi Island is a completation borefest
DKC games are so-so
Marios actually require some skill to play
Games that are good will always be good
>>
File: astorm.jpg (179KB, 492x700px) Image search: [Google]
astorm.jpg
179KB, 492x700px
The first Golden Axe is really bad. Before Streets of Rage, GAII and III, Alien Storm was the better early Genesis Beat 'Em Up.

The Genesis version of Sparkster would be better if it had the same gameplay of Rocket Knight Adventures or SNES Sparkster.

Vectorman's level design is boring as fuck.

The Genesis version of Power Rangers: The Movie isn't that good. It's just a generic Beat 'Em Up. Same thing for that Sailor Moon game on Super Famicom and Mega Drive.

Gex never was good. Never.
>>
>>3776868
Uh, what?

Secret of Mana is one of my favorite games of all time. I must have beat it 20+ times in my lifetime.

What was cut?
>>
Spin-flying, spinjumping on boos, sliding to kill big boos: SMW
>>
>>3776065
Most of them aren't fun unless you can get yourself into the mindset of the era, even then a lot of them still just aren't good games.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>3776848

It is like a cartoon mixed with a 70s/80s martial arts movie.
>>
>>3777337
Check tcrf.net's page on the game.
>>
>>3776065
>gallons of ketchup shoots out in comical fashion
>somehow this is gross

It's Looney Tunes tier absurdity. I don't know how anyone now or in the 90s could actually be disgusted by this. It's just too silly you have to laugh.
>>
>>3776113
MK didn't start to have really good designs until X tbqh. I always liked the series but if you asked me who my favorite character was I couldn't tell you because none of them were honestly that great. But when MKX came out suddenly I had like 10 vying for my favorite. The personality they pumped into the characters and the new graphics really helped a lot.
>>
>>3777423
I never understood how anyone could find blood disgusting anyways. It's just blood.
>>
>>3777423
>It's Looney Tunes tier absurdity. I don't know how anyone now or in the 90s could actually be disgusted by this. It's just too silly you have to laugh.

This. My mom used to find the finishers hilarious in UMK3. Especially the Jax T1000 hands one.
>>
>>3777423

I think the image OP posted refers to the modern games.
>>
>>3777423
See, this is definitely true for me now, the violence is so absurd and silly looking that it doesn't even register as gross.Even as a kid it never really bothered me, the idea of violence is more scary really, the only thing in mk that ever made me anxiius was the continue screen from mk4, something about that long drop to the spikes built up a lot of tension in me.
>>
>>3776065

So you basically became a faggot over the years.
>>
File: Koholint_Island_Coordinate_Map.png (442KB, 2656x2144px) Image search: [Google]
Koholint_Island_Coordinate_Map.png
442KB, 2656x2144px
>>3776065
Today I just see the 2D Zelda games as this grid meant to test your memory and spacial awareness.
As a kid I imagined there was so much more to the world and the quests were significant and meaningful.
>>
>>3779619
I'm starting to think this is what all games are and I am wasting my damn time playing them.
>>
The first Spyro is the best Spyro. I preferred 3 when it came out
>>
>>3779628
>>3779619

That's just your generally overall hatred of the world ruining everything for you.
>>
>>3779570
>f*ggot

>>>/v/
>>>/pol/
>>>/b/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>3779619
Yeah I think that's just your own cynical view
>>
>>3781437
Did you get triggered you faggot?
>>
A lot of 8 bit games were so hard I never beat them. 16 bit made everything really easy or at least added savepoints.

It wasn't until I started playing games like Castlevania PoR on DS that I realized how soft I had gotten. You play the game on normal mode and it's just like SotN. You play it on hard mode level 1 cap and it'd be harder than Castlevania 1 if it weren't for the save points.

Took weeks to beat hard mode, had to go back to approaching games like I did when I was 6.
>>
>>3781457
You think MK is edgy don't you?
>>
>>3776065
classic RE's formula would've worked better as a point & click adventure game on the PC
>>
I used to think the Tomb Raider games were hard.
But it was just that I couldn't see anything and I had no idea what I was suppose to do or why.
>>
>>3782609
How would the action segments work then? Without those it's just a weak puzzle game.
>>
>>3782907
Waxworks and Snatcher called.
>>
>>3782927
I think Snatcher is an interesting story but a shit game so I guess we just disagree.
>>
>>3782927
Snatcher's action parts sucked dicks. Moving a cursor around a grid is nowhere comparable to fleeing hunters when you have no herbs left or dodging big ass sneks.
>>
>>3776065
I wonder what it's like to be a faggot
>>
>>3782964
What does that have to do with OP?
>>
>>3782964
well anon, it's like not being one, it just happens to have a lot more dicks involved.
>>
>>3783279
Or cigarettes if you're british.
>>
>>3776065
i HATED games as a kid
>>
>>3784882
No that's a fag, a faggot is a bundle of sticks.
>>
>>3784884
Same thing and interchangeable. Fag is short for faggot because a handful of cigarettes looks like a faggot of sticks.
>>
Whoever said the Gex games were never good can suck my little cock.
>>
>>3784968
Good? Nah, 5/10 at best. They're really average.

I wouldn't mind 2 and 3 getting a remake that polishes the visuals, framerate, and camera though.
>>
File: 1484342193123.jpg (14KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1484342193123.jpg
14KB, 251x251px
>>3784968
>A dull platformer and two Super Mario 64 wannabes starring a unfunny character that doesn't shut up
>Good
>>
>>3777481
isn't that the most recent one?
>>
>>3785528
Yeah
>>
>>3776065
MK is, to me, the game equivalent of "Big trouble in little china". It's trash for the sake of being trash, and I can have fun with it for as much time as it takes me to crave for actual quality. Kind of like the cheetos you sometimes eat that in no way compares to roasted ostrich.
>>
>>3776065
2D Zelda games are extremely boring.
(I thought they were boring as a kid too).
>>
I don't have the patience or imagination to have fun with RTS and 3D adventure games like Ocarina of Time anymore

And it's a shame
>>
>>3782964
look in the mirror and you'll find out lmao rekt bitch!
>>
>>3788040
>big trouble in little china is trash

This place is bizarre sometimes.
>>
>>3789674
I know.... Nothing like it has ever been done. Has a better plot/actors/acting than escape from new york. Jack Burton would rape him!
>>
>>3777389
>tcrf.net
So sprites were cut?
>>
>>3776108
Some millenials are born faggots and not made I guess
>>
>>3776065
1. They are closer to true games then modern games are.

2. Wanting technology to keep progressing in gaming eventually became a huge mistake.

3. Many games are even better than I remembered.

4. Very few older games gave me a lesser opinion of it after going back.

5. It seemed overall there was a lot more room for all types of games to succeed where as these days only very specific kinds of games can ever succeed.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.