[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey Chief, how about a CRPG thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

File: Morte-Planescape-Torment.jpg (52KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Morte-Planescape-Torment.jpg
52KB, 600x400px
Hey Chief, how about a CRPG thread?
>>
>>3748748
Then why did you post a picture of a character from a visual novel?
>>
might and magic 6 was the most fun i've had in a long time
fuck these new RPGs where you're guided the whole way through and waste a bunch of time talking to niggers to learn about boring lore
>>
You have 9999999999999999999999 eternities to name a more overrated game than Planescape Torment.
>>
Feeling pretty stoked for the Numenera game
>>
>>3748871
System Shock 2.
>>
>>3748940
>tfw backed WL2, PoE and this and haven't beaten any of them
>>
>>3748871
Any Mario game?
Pokemon RBY?
Minecraft?

Few normies have ever heard of Planescape Torment.
It isn't really discussed outside of RPG forums.
Go to your nearest gamestore where people are buying PS4s and Maddens and ask them if they've ever played PS:T.
Not even the store clerks will be familiar with it.
>>
>>3750059
>normies
can we please not
>>
No mention of Redshift Quest or Caves of Qud. For shame, /vr/...
>>
>>3750074
>projecting THIS hard
>>
>>3750059
overrated =/ popularity
>>
>>3750059
>le normie meme
>>
>>3750587
XD epic
>>
>>3748871
System Shock 2, Dude Sex, Hitman: Blood Money. I think that these are pushing it. It really is probably number 1.
>>
>>3748748
what's this from?
>>
>>3748871
Way to derail the thread.
>>
>>3752830
I think it's a pretty valid post. Planet Escape: Torrent is easily one of the most overrated games ever made.
>>
>>3748748
what is this?
>>
>>3752830
Way to be a dank memelord.
>>
File: art-019.jpg (246KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
art-019.jpg
246KB, 1280x1024px
>>3752819
Planet Escape: Tournament
>>
File: kek.png (1KB, 82x87px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
1KB, 82x87px
Betrayal at Krondor is the best CRPG ever.
You don't know that simply 'cause you haven't played it yet.
>>
So what are good crpgs to start with for someone who has mostly played jrpgs?
>>
>>3756037

I seem to have used Fallout for this. It worked well.

No need to play the second one; it's just more of the same but with more cruddy nerdy references and crap.
>>
>>3756037
Anachronox
>>
File: CRPG1.jpg (297KB, 1000x628px) Image search: [Google]
CRPG1.jpg
297KB, 1000x628px
>>3756037
RPG Codex's top 50 which is basically a highlights reel.

Currently playing Secret of the Silver Blades. Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds were great, but this one is just a slogfest. It's neverending maze after neverending maze of neverending patrols. These are the only gold box games I've played, are the rest like this one? If so I might just stop at Pools of Darkness.
>>
I'm not that devoted to playing every single CRPG ever made because I'm in love with the genre: I just want to play games that are actually enjoyable and polished.
I played through part of BG1, got bored and quit. Played through BG2 afterwards. Barely touched any of the IWD games because I heard that they have a big difficulty spike and are mainly played for combat scenarios and very little story, which is not my cup of tea.

Should I bother with NWN1, or just skip ahead to 2?
>>
>>3756037

Do you want a focus on combat systems, or a focus on story? I know JRPGs with both, but I suggest you come into CRPGs with an understanding that they generally prefer combat over story with a few exceptions.
>>
>>3748959
This. The first one was better and doesn't get nearly as much praise
>>
>>3750402
Not him, but there is a board just for you until you are mature enough to branch out.

>>>r9k
>>
>>3756986
You forgot the slashes:

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>3756990
I know. I fucked up, but not worth double posting for a pre-teen
>>
>>3756932
Only play NWN on-line, campaigns a shit.
Then with NWN2 you have to play Mask of the Betrayer then try Storm of Zehir.
>>
I know PS:T is lauded as one of the best crpg games of the BG1/BG2/Fallout era, but honestly, I was never super drawn to it.

Falout 1 and 2 are really great. Also Morrowind, and Daggerfall before that (or Arena).
Also also - Betrayal at Krondor/Betrayal in Antara, the Might And Magic series (not heroes, obviously), or Wizardry.
>>
>>3757252
The more I play, the more I'm certain that Betrayal at Krondor is the perfect classic cRPG.
>>
>>3748748
he is saying AAAHHHHGGGGG
>>
>>3756590
>Gold Box

Try that Unlimited Adventures kit, and download some of the custom modules.

There are some big campaigns comparable to the original Pools series, but a lot of them are fun little microadventures that you can use the same characters with.
>>
>>3758926
I'll give it a shot after I play some more gold box games. I just finished Secrets of the Silver Blades and it was a massive disappointment over the first two. I loaded up Pools of Darkness and I'm feeling a bit burned out. I might go back to my unfinished World of Xeen game or start up Lands of Lore before continuing.
>>
>>3758978

The fact that you're NOT a teenager and have those opinions just makes it even more sad.
>>
>>3748748
Shut up Yakko and go back to your cart racers
>>
>>3756932
NWN1 is better than 2 to be honest. Just play the expacs then decide whether or not you want to suffer through more 3E rules and play NWN2 starting with MotB if you do.
>>
>>3758994
Holy shit the amount of fedora posting here is beautiful. I'm going to assume this is copy pasta.
>>
>>3748748
Trying to play baldurs gate and the amount of saving and resting im needing to do make me feel like im cheating. Which i hate.
>>
>>3759353
Pace yourself better and learn that crowd control and buffs are a superior form of magic than damage spells.
>>
>>3759359
But at the beginning of the game you have a shit selection of spells you can cast only once or twice. And most enemies oneshot you.

Really wanted to play this without savwscumming. Like save on rest or on area transition. But it seems impossible.
>>
File: 146035522231.jpg (88KB, 646x542px) Image search: [Google]
146035522231.jpg
88KB, 646x542px
This thread made me buy Darklands. Was that a mistake? I read through the manual and fucked around briefly with Quickstart just to get a feel for it. I'll actually try learning it tomorrow. I see a hell of a lot of potential to it despite the age.
>>
>>3759498
One of the best games of all time
>>
File: asfaf.webm (3MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
asfaf.webm
3MB, 960x720px
>create a custom party of waifus
>ctrl-8's
>rescue jaheira, shapeshift her to a dog and kick her out so she sits outside the harpers like a stray
>minsc is cool just tell him to wait in the pub
>yoshimo joins, trash his gear, dual class him to lvl 1 warrior with dual wielding 3 and slings 1, kick him out
>write custom ai and watch the show

me at the start of every bg2 run. apart from this current one, just soloing with an elf f/m/t
>>
>>3759714
>I literally advocate and practice the killing of human beings I don't like.

Congrats on being a sociopathic piece of sub human garbage then. Must be a wonderful life you're leading.
>>
>>3748871
Impossible.
>>
>>3759368
Play cleric with 18 wisdom. You get bonus spells, healing, enough hp not to get one shot. You can also recruit kagain and have him tank.
>>
File: 396 Berserkers.png (61KB, 656x438px) Image search: [Google]
396 Berserkers.png
61KB, 656x438px
Why do retro CRPGs have such ridiculous enemy quantities?
>>
>>3759876
It can either be endearing or frustrating depending on how long it takes to clear them out. Clearing out small mobs and then facing the occasional horde pumps the adrenaline; it's satisfying to blow holes in their ranks with magic. But some games are just never ending slogs of dozens to hundreds of enemies and it makes me quit them.
>>
>>3759948
Sure thing psycho boy.
>>
>>3748871
Diablo II
>>
>>3759948
Have you been tested for emotional and social disorders? What you are saying is literally sociopathic. War is an unfortunate inevitability, but no one should want to or desire to kill other people. That's straight up crazy.

If you are not trolling just to be a 4chan edgelord, you are literally sub-human. People like you are the precise reason we have jails. So we can put you in a cage with the other filth that don't know how to be decent people.

As with the inevitable need for war I could understand kill you and people like you for the greater good. But that would bring me no joy because I'm not a sociopath.

Seek help. You seriously need it.
>>
File: Fish-1-624x417.jpg (66KB, 624x417px) Image search: [Google]
Fish-1-624x417.jpg
66KB, 624x417px
>>3759980
Don't feed the trolls retard
>>
>>3759876

They might have thought it was cool to have a system capable of managing so many enemies, since that would be a pain in a pnp game. One of the few advantages of the computer format.
>>
File: Rip_and_tear.png (743KB, 600x473px) Image search: [Google]
Rip_and_tear.png
743KB, 600x473px
>>3760074
>>
>>3760074
Well you're either acting like an edgy 13 year old to feel cool or you're genuinely disturbed. Either is pretty pathetic.
>>
>>3756590

I have completed only 23 out of the 50 games from that picture.

How many should one complete before one can post in this board again?
>>
>>3750059
>Few normies have ever heard of Planescape Torment.
not true.
>>
>>3760430
Depends on how you define normies. Of the greater population? Definitely, most of them don't play video games unless it's mobile stuff. Of the gaming population? Yea, more than a few but most wouldn't have played it.
>>
I just started Wizardry 6. It's my first wizardry game and I'm feeling overwhelmed. Should I have started with a different one?
>>
>>3760318
No. I know very well what I am talking about. You are at best someone with severe emotional and social problems who is using this site as a safe place to vent.

The desire to kill people should never bring you joy, that's the mark of a truly serious problem. That you boast about it like you think it makes you cool is chilling. You need help. Real help.
>>
>>3748824
try Grimcock then?
>>
Wouldn't mind seeing all the deleted posts ITT teebh famm
>>
>>3761489
I'm not boasting. I simply stated the facts. Ignorance and denial of the truth will benefit no one.
>>
What's the best version of Wizardry IV?
>>
>>3761981
The Apple II version
>>
>>3761763
I did
great game
>>
>Playong Arcanum
>That annoyingly retarded RNG critical miss system
>Critical miss so hard fighting a Ghoul lvl 6 my character implodes

CRPGs have so many retarded systems
>>
>>3762537
Arcanum's gameplay was so fucked up. I have no idea how a seasoned industry vet like Tim Cain was involved in that shit show. I got so frustrated with the guns that I just remade a strength character who used nothing but swords.
>>
>>3762631
Who ever at Troika who had the ideia of a RNG that can male you literally sudoku yourself fighting a level 1 rat should be fucking shot.
>>
Back to Arcanum
>Finally my DX got to a point where my character stopped sucking
>Accidentaly equip hexed sword that curses DEX
>Found out that was the ONLY fucking sword that was bugged and curses your DEX FOREVER
>My two savefiles was after I equiped the goddamn thing because I only noticed my DEX was shitty wayyy later
>Can't find bug fixes and the save editor involves using shady shit to install
Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
How are the spiderweb software games? I was thinking about picking some up next time they're on sale, but they all have the same sort of look. I heard that Vogel releases the same game over and over again. Which ones are worth picking up?
>>
>>3763080
Geneforge sounds good. If you want muh graphics, go for the 3D remakes of Avernum.
>>
>>3748871
Daggerfail
>>
Wiz 6: Do you gain skulduggery experience when picking jams or when it fails? If not, how is it even possible to level? I can't find any doors that I can pick at skullduggery 4.
>>
>>3756932
unless you're quite familliar with how to build a proper character for DnD 3.5e, in which case i'd say play JUST Mask of the Betrayer, play the original campaign first before getting into Mask. It's pretty stable now so all the complaints about it running like shit is now void so, it makes it worth your while.

Storm of Zehir is pretty shit even for """"oldschool CRPG"""" standards but it lets you make more than 1 character
>>
>>3763127
I liked Storm of Zehir, it's not developed at all and there's barely any story but I really liked the concept.
>>
>>3763127
I think he'd get more out of MotB after playing the original campaign first. It has some great bits hidden in all the mediocrity, and the few plot lines from the OC that are picked back up in MotB are interesting.
>>
>>3748871
dark souls
>>
>>3763431
I enjoyed the original campaign at some degree but for some reason the ending was insufferable.
>>
>>3748871
any gta games
>>
>>3761794
>. I simply stated the facts

"killing is fun" isn't a fact, it's an admission that you're psychotic.
>>
>>3759498
Late to respond but i fucking love Darklands. Not a mistake in the least.
>>
>>3763405
it can get really corny though but YMMV
>>3763431
true, i actually enjoyed some of the characters a lot more than most of the ones in MotB. some of the cliches there gets played around a lot to a point where it's charming, and the plot actually picks up especially by the second act. too bad the first act drags on way too long and the third was pants. Qara is still a shit
>>
>>3763561
>some of the cliches there gets played around a lot to a point where it's charming
Yes, this! There's a lot of deconstruction going on. I get this mental picture of a hopelessly unimaginative lead writer bumbling along with a bad story while a disgruntled assistant writer tries to subvert him at every turn in a way he won't notice.

>Qara is still a shit
All the female characters were more or less terrible (in the OC, women in MotB were great) . Ammon Jerro however was by far the coolest companion, and a rare example of an evil character done right.
>>
>>3748797
Than*

Looks like you need a visual novel.
>>
File: inquisitor_ARTWORK_COVER.png (827KB, 600x852px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitor_ARTWORK_COVER.png
827KB, 600x852px
Did anybody else here try but fail to enjoy this game? The setting and premise were cool and clearly had lots of love put into them but the combat was so painfully bad and boring that I had to quit. Early game enemies had incurable poison attacks which burn through your whole health bar twice over with each application forcing you to spam an ungodly amount of health potions. The whole game was just smashing your best ability against enemies while burning through potions. I quit when I realized I was spending more time going back to town for more potions than I was progressing through the game's first big dungeon, a stupidly large mine which just never ends.
>>
>>3763080
The controls are fucking spastic, and the systems are unintuitive, and characterization is almost non-existent but the setting, lore, and story has enough charm to make up for it. Oh and the 4th has a nest of giant friendly talking spiders, one of which that's in love with you. Kawaii is fuck.
That zero effort was put into graphics beyond making assets easily identifiable meant that maximum effort could be put in adding in more content.

If buy them and enjoy them they'll give hundreds of hours of nongrindey entertainment. If you buy them and they're not your thing you're only out like 50 cents.
>>
>>3756590
Honestly Silver Blades is probably the worst in the entire series, it wouldn't hurt to skip. After azure bonds the games never really evolve, if you're still not 100% into the combat, I'd recommend just skipping em.
>>
>>3765283
After I finished Silver Blades I got burned out on Gold Box for the time being. I tried Hillsfar which was a waste of time before moving on to Wizardry 6.
>>
>no automap

Fucking kills me.
>>
>>3763590
i still find Kaelyn the Dove insufferable despite being an all around better character than every women in the OC. She wants to help everyone, I get it, but she's so blind to her ideals that she never even considered the consequences of breaking that wall. by the end of the game, and after taking the canon route, she probably led thousands to their deaths in a Crusade never meant to succeed from the start and only made the wall stronger. I hate the wall and there's no reason to keep it since dead souls will simply wither away in the Fugue Plane and disappear completely and forgotten. Myrkul is always a faggot
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.