[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you jokers like Spyro?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 39

File: spyro-the-dragon-usa.jpg (163KB, 600x589px) Image search: [Google]
spyro-the-dragon-usa.jpg
163KB, 600x589px
Do you jokers like Spyro?
>>
>>3510909
Fuck yeah
>>
>>3510930

What's your favorite game/level/music track my man?

I start threads on /v/ all the time but 8 outta 10 times it goes to page 10 very quickly
>>
>>3510909
Best collectathons I've ever played 2bh
>>
>>3510909
fuck yeah, I've been meaning to try the ones after Spyro 3. Is it worth or not? What am I in for if I do?
>>
>>3510909
>jokers

Are you trying to be RedSilverJ now?

Yes I love Spyro and I think it's the best platformer of the era. Even better than Mario 64.
>>
>>3510909
Why is it fun getting all the gems in this game but with donkey kong 64 it feels like a chore?
>>
Was my favourite series when i was a kid. Too bad they have never bothered reviving the series properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kc2gGycBXc
>>
>>3511010
The GBA spyro games are surprisingly good.
>>
File: 1411778616671.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1411778616671.png
6KB, 300x300px
>>3510938
>/v/

Well there's your problem. Don't worry about it though, you're among friends now.
>>
>>3511113

Ah thank goodness. Maybe we can keep this going then.

>>3511010

Uh, I heard Eternal Night for the GBA is good. also heard surprisingly good things about Hero's Tail.

>>3511075

Superior controls and atmosphere make the simplicity of looking for shit fun.
>>
The cool thing about their soundtracks is that each one feels different. I'm starting to like 3 more than the others though.
>>
>>3511105
Maybe if the Crash remaster does well, Spyro will get his chance?
>>
>>3511105

I wish that was longer and I wish there was more of it. Copeland is amazing.
>>
>>3511306

No offense but I always thought Croc controlled so terribly. Spyro was so tight and precise.

I've never played MediEvil so I can't speak there
>>
>>3510938
My favorite track is The Amanda Show theme song
>>
Dearest and most lovely
>>3511306,

Nice bait. You have good self esteem and you are well regarded in your social circles. May glory and long life come to you.

Your friend,
Anon
>>
>>3511337
Camera is pretty bad but it's a decent 3d platformer. all 3d platformers suck though
>>
>>3510909
3>1>2

All three are GOAT though.
>>
How do I go back to the previous worlds in this game?
I need to go back to the first one to beat that secret stage.
>>
>>3511010
Unfortunately that's where the decline starts, but anything before the dark and edgy one is at least alright.

Like Crash, the 2D/isometric versions on the GBA have effort put into them and are actually pretty fun. Except for the final ones, those sucked.

>>3511578
1: Talk to the balloonist.
2: There are points in each of the hubs that have teleports to all the others.
3: Where you entered the world.
>>
>>3511575

That is literally my opposite preference. 2>1>3

But like you said, they're all GOAT
>>
>>3511583
I thought the balloonist only took you to the next world?
>>
>>3511620
He also takes you to the other hubs if you don't prompt him into that. and just realized Spyro turned legal on the 10th
>>
>>3511625
Hm I saw that just now. Thanks anon.
>>
you have 5 seconds to explain why you don't tower glide at autumn plains at least once a year and take in the comfiest spectacle in all of video games
>>
still play it.
spyro 1 - 3 are pretty good all the way through.

enter the dragonfly had a coupling theme about it that was weird more than cute.
and skylanders is a giant shit pit like raving rabids.
>>
File: 1470102922290.png (2MB, 1518x780px) Image search: [Google]
1470102922290.png
2MB, 1518x780px
>>3511694
ahh my nigga.
>mfw hearing the wind roaring as you slowly ascend to the top over seeing the hub
>>
File: comf.png (513KB, 1078x381px) Image search: [Google]
comf.png
513KB, 1078x381px
>>3511712

mannnn it is really my favorite dick around thing to do in any video game. Looking out into the skybox and hearing that wind roar as you prep for your glide. I always loved to glide down and land in the pool below

Jesus I might replay 2 this weekend
>>
>>3511625
inb4 BD comes out with a certain tribute
>>
>>3511017
>Even better than Mario 64.
I play up Mario 64 in front of people because normies think it's god's gift but yeah, I gotta agree with this.

Mario 64 will always be "best," Spyro will always be best.
>>
>>3511956

I'm not even trying to be contrarian, but I always thought SM64 was so slippery. I sound like a complete fanboy over Spyro at all times but it just controls so much better than any other platformer of that era I played.
>>
>>3511956
>>3512290
The thing about Spyro is that the love for the game is mostly retrospective. That leads me to believe that it's largely fueled by nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it's there.

While Super Mario 64 was immediately recognized as a landmark and excellent game and remains so to this day. I think that's a fairly clear sign that it's a better game.
>>
>>3512568
Yeah, that sounds about right.

I mean when it's something that isn't Mario it's obviously mostly fueled by nostalgia. Mario on the other hand is critically acclaimed and hasn't aged poorly at all, no nostalgia there. Makes sense.
>>
>>3511381
My nostalgic neurons are firing up...
>>
File: crashmario.jpg (342KB, 1000x802px) Image search: [Google]
crashmario.jpg
342KB, 1000x802px
>>3512571
You're just being obtuse. The phenomenon is quite obvious. For example, I don't recall anybody speaking fondly of Crash Bandicoot on 4chan before 2010. Then suddenly, bam you have lots of people with nostalgia for Crash (and also for Spyro). It just leads me to believe that the 90s kids grew up and started posting. While Mario 64 was always loved on here.
>>
>>3510938
New anon to the thread. Dark hollow for all the above. A lot of the tracks are kinda sandy but Dark Hollow is just so damn good. I also just love the vally nighttime setting and the quirky things like the lanterns you could make sway, the fires you could light, and the little toads with teeth. Not to mention I just love the standard tiny gnorcs with the army helmets so that's another reason why.

Basically it's just the most comfy level in the game and no other level is really comparable.
>>
>>3512568
>love for the game is mostly retrospective
What a load of shit. I remember everyone loving it when it first came out.
>>
>>3512626
>sandy
>samey

Autocorrect
>>
>>3512628
>I remember everyone loving it when it first came out.

Yeah all of the kids in elementary school loved it for a little while and then forgot about it. Mario 64 on the other hand has to be one of the most emulated games ever though.
>>
>>3512613
See, you grew up with Mario 64 so you pay attention to the praise for it. Nobody pays attention to praise for things they don't care about. So when people say "Yeah I loved Spyro" you tune out.

It wasn't until people started saying "hey, you know what? I actually preferred this game to Mario" that you started paying attention. Now there's a comparison and you have to defend your childhood. We all do it though, so no biggie.
>>
>>3512635
>See, you grew up with Mario 64 so you pay attention to the praise for it.

I had both anon.
>>
File: sports.png (195KB, 922x1390px) Image search: [Google]
sports.png
195KB, 922x1390px
>>3512637
You don't hide your childhood bias very well, my man.

>>3512635
I mean look, you're doing it right now; >>3512634

There's this comparison again and you have to defend it because it's not in your "team's" favor. Like I said, we all do it and it's no big deal because it's just human nature.
>>
>>3512640
Didn't mean to quote myself. But anyway, my point is simply there's a lot of nostalgia fueling Mario 64 too. To say otherwise is a bit ignorant, is all.
>>
>>3512640
Nope. You're not exactly free from bias either y'know.

But I'll give another example of this phenomenon: Halo.

Everybody knows that before 2010 it was virtually impossible to have a Halo thread on /v/ because almost everybody was unanimous in opinion that the Halo series was shit. Then suddenly you have people appearing that considered Halo 1 a classic.

Crash and Spyro players grew up a few years and played Halo and they also thought it was the best thing ever. It's literally the same generation of 90s kids that suddenly appeared on 4chan around 2010.
>>
>>3512645
Mario 64 and Halo have incredible similarities, . Both critically acclaimed, high selling launch titles bundled with the console.

The difference? Age of audience. There is nostalgia for Mario 64 which ties into /v/'s age bracket (having grown up with the N64 which was more popular in the US, age of /v/ is late teens to mid 20s). There has always been praise for Crash and Spyro but like I said, you tune out that which doesn't interest you (and why wouldn't you? I do it too).

However, when a comparison between the two comes up you have to defend it because it taps into that primal "defense of territory" thing, or in this case; defense of opinion. Example; every thread where someone dares to say something might have been even a little better than Mario, some guy pops up to "correct" them and writes the praise off as pure nostalgia.

To say there's no nostalgia around Mario, nothing but "just great game, man" is ignorant. Simple as that.
>>
>>3512649
The difference is that Mario 64 had virtually 100% love from every demographic at launch AND for every year after that until now.

You've got famous developers like Warren Spector, Gabe Newell, Dan Houser, etc openly saying that Mario 64 is one of their favorite games and an inspiration for their work.

Halo didn't have that, even though it obviously inspired a new generation of console shooters. The real similarity between Mario 64 and Halo is that both series continued to have good games made until the present day. While Crash and Spyro became zombies after their original developers abandoned them in the early 00s.

But here's another thing. Everybody knows that Sonic has a massively long running fanbase (even though large sections of the fanbase are pretty degenerate) but it's indisputable that it's been a large long-running fanbase. Where was Crash and Spyro's fanbase in the intervening years? How many large scale and popular fan websites devoted to them?

All virtually non-existent.
>>
>>3512649
And to elaborate; yes, the Halo players grew up and are now the dominant audience of /v/. Few years back, Mario 64 players were the dominant audience as that was the popular system in the US, hence the seemingly "lack" of praise for Crash/Spyro.

I'm too tired to keep going with the back and forth, my opinion vs yours shtick, so I'll just leave it at that.
>>
>>3512653
Yeeah, no you're right. I agree. You've opened my eyes, Mario 64 is legendary. I'll throw my PS1 out tomorrow. Time for sleep, methinks.
>>
>>3512656
>Mario 64 players were the dominant audience as that was the popular system in the US, hence the seemingly "lack" of praise for Crash/Spyro.

While it's true the N64 did proportionally very well against the PS1 in the USA, it was still less popular, so I don't see how that's an argument.

I also can't see how Mario 64, Crash and Spyro would have different demographics. But I believe that Mario 64 definitely appealed to a much wider, older audience as well due to its groundbreaking presentation and gameplay.

Crash and Spyro were just seen as second rate pretenders, and so exclusively for kids.
>>
>>3512668
EarthBound is a game that sold poorly and poor critical reception but now has a strong audience with lots of praise. It's not outside the realms of reality. People can go back and play things and then prefer them to other things.

We've gotten far off track now, I prefer Spyro now after growing up with Mario 64, that's my opinion and neither of us will change the other's. Literally my last post on this.
>>
>>3512680
Earthbound's fanbase is literally a hipster offshoot of the SSB fanbase though. Most of the people in it never even heard of Ness before SSB.
>>
>>3510909
Only the first one.
>>
>>3510909
Riptos Rage is the best. I wonder if they'll remake these like they will be doing with the Crash series?
>>
>>3511113
>vr
>friends
My friends don't berate me for not liking crpgs
>>
>>3512772

I personally think 2 is the best myself, because it added lots of different gameplay elements aside from just collecting and you remained in control of Spyro. I felt like the extra characters of 3 kinda bogged it down a bit, but it was still a good experience.

If 2 had one more hub world it would be absolutely flawless
>>
File: My future is bright, baby.jpg (79KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
My future is bright, baby.jpg
79KB, 400x403px
>>3511075
In Donkey Kong 64, everything was incredibly sluggish on top of the game already having framerate problems. Not to mention the worlds were gigantic and full of a whole lot of nothing most of the times. The puzzles were also aggravating and repetitive. Finally, five different characters, each with their own unique abilities, meant you'd be backtracking through worlds AT LEAST five times each (since said abilities need to be unlocked in the first place).

Compared to Spyro, you only have one character who functions quickly and properly on a basic level. The stages can range from incredibly small (for real, go look at Dark Hollow again) to decently sized and never overstay their welcome. There were a few times where collecting things was incredibly satisfying (looking at you, Tree Tops), and the artstyle and music kept the entire experience from becoming a snorefest all the way through.

So when you really think about it, it's the pacing through and between each level that makes Spyro more enjoyable, though the ambience provided by the music and art certainly helped.

DK64 had way better bosses though. The bosses in Spyro 1 sucked.
>>
>>3513995
I forgot to mention level design. The levels in Spyro were designed for Spyro. The levels in DK64 were designed for five different characters who played in various ways, which is an incredibly challenge from a developer's perspective.
>>
>>3513995
Spyro is always a snorefest though. DK64 at least gives you the occasional high.
>>
File: dark_hollow.png (797KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dark_hollow.png
797KB, 1280x720px
>>3512626
Dark Hollow is the comfiest video game level ever made.

Ice Cavern is pretty good also.
>>
>>3514038
Spyro 1 and 2 are definitely more fun than DK64. No dumb minigames and way less overt collectables
>>
>>3514872
The reason Spyro is boring is because you can play it with your mind on autopilot. The levels are basically a linear circuit, there are only two ways to defeat enemies, and collecting jewels is fairly tedious.

DK64 had its shitty moments, but the worlds are huge and non-linar and it feels good when you explore and find something good. It's got lows and highs and so less boring.
>>
>>3513995

Pretty much all this.

Spyro's simplicity is what makes it work so well. I don't need enormous worlds and umpteen dozen mini-games to enjoy myself in a platformer. Spyro is short, sweet, and to the point.
>>
Spooky Swamp is GOAT. Haiku motherfuckers make my day anytime.
>>
I enjoyed the gba game however the camera in these games made me dizzy.
>>
>>3514869

Dark Hollow is an automatic memory but I forgot about Ice Cavern. Bless you
>>
>>3515043
>>3514869
>>3512626
Mah niggas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LkB4j5hYiw
>>
File: 52c2a5fba1e0a.png (231KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
52c2a5fba1e0a.png
231KB, 512x512px
NYAHNYAHNYANYAHNYAH HEHEHEH
>>
>>3518552
You're easy peasy for me blackberry wrapped in blue bed sheets.
>>
>>3518552
Didn't ever realise how sinister he looks underneath the hood
>>
>>3518552

I actually never had a problem with these guys, even when I was younger

What did you guys have trouble with in these games though? There was a gem in Sheila's swamp level in YOTD that I couldn't find for years (it was behind a wall you had to kick in from the other side of the map). Kept me from the real ending for my entire childhood. Other than that, nothing stands out.
>>
File: 1396073974273.png (927KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1396073974273.png
927KB, 1280x720px
>>3518997
Fuck this level and all it stands for
>>
>>3519025

I actually loved figuring out tree tops and wish we got more levels that were similar
>>
IM A FAWN YOU DORK

SPYRO 2 BEST GAME

THIS IS BEST SONG

https://youtu.be/Xt2D2nm3Sfk
>>
File: 1425900068203.jpg (11KB, 235x236px) Image search: [Google]
1425900068203.jpg
11KB, 235x236px
>>3519032
>more than one tree tops level
>>
>>3516475
>>3516475

goddamn. It's all coming back. This one is amazing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdB5cykpYXYv=ED6_awLRD6s
>>
>>3519053

>requires a mastery of game mechanics and knowledge of the level layout

I love Spyro, I felt it needed to be more difficult at times.
>>
>>3519056

*but I
omitted words can kill
>>
>>3519038
>>3519038
>hmph, you're pretty cute for a dragon

my boy-dick was diamonds
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iKrZWq8N10
>>
File: pepedara.png (40KB, 131x129px) Image search: [Google]
pepedara.png
40KB, 131x129px
>>3519064
>trouble with the trolley level
>>
File: I must return to my people.webm (2MB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
I must return to my people.webm
2MB, 450x300px
>>
The first game was the best; the second and third kinda had a different atmosphere but I still love these games because they're like all I played growing up. I don't think the gameplay would hold up now without some serious tweaks to make it less boring. People aren't amazed by big 3D romp arounds anymore. If they redid the series it'd need much more action.
>>
Better than Banjo and DK64.
>>
>>3520830
Objectively 2 > 1 > 3
>>
File: tree tops.png (933KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tree tops.png
933KB, 1280x720px
>>3520830
>>3521232
First one had the best atmosphere and music, as well as having the best level design

Second one had best gameplay

Third one had the most variety

IMO, 1 = 2 > 3
>>
>>3510909
Joke yourself.
>>
File: aaaaaaa.gif (647KB, 204x171px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaa.gif
647KB, 204x171px
>>3510909
Spyro, Banjo Kazooie and Crash were the first platformers/collectathons that I ever played which were 3d. I have enormous nostalgia for all of them, Spyro the most of all. There's never been a comfier platformer.

>>3519025
FUCK THIS FUCKING LEVEL
>>
I remember playing Ripto's Rage with my cousins but I didn't own a Spyro game til Year of the Dragon

Bianca did things to my pants
>>
Stewart Copeland played every single level before he made music for it, and it shows. He even did the music for the fourth spyro game on the gamecube which is why the music is the best part of that buggy pos.

My uncle is a Deep Spyro Nerd, so years ago he figured out a way to extract the music tracks from PS1 discs. It's not at all an easy process, but it's better quality than the analogue hole and even an average schmuck like me can do it.

If you're interested in ripping the the music out of your Spyro 1/2/3 discs yourself, or are just interested in the process and the format, I'm going to shamelessly link his blog posts.

http://momentaryfascinations.com/technology/the.spyro.soundtracks.html
http://momentaryfascinations.com/technology/spyro.soundtracks.part.2.html
>>
File: spyro theory 1.png (220KB, 1920x751px) Image search: [Google]
spyro theory 1.png
220KB, 1920x751px
>>
File: spyro theory 2.png (132KB, 1917x934px) Image search: [Google]
spyro theory 2.png
132KB, 1917x934px
>>
File: spyro theory 3.png (203KB, 1919x829px) Image search: [Google]
spyro theory 3.png
203KB, 1919x829px
>>
File: spyro theory 4.png (141KB, 1915x687px) Image search: [Google]
spyro theory 4.png
141KB, 1915x687px
>>
>>3522604
>>3522606
>>3522610
>>3522612
Pure autism.
>>
File: Spyro.jpg (110KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Spyro.jpg
110KB, 1600x1600px
>>3522604
>>3522606
>>3522610
>>3522612
Well that went off the rails by the end. Kinda fun to read though.
>>
>>3520830
When I was a kid I though YOTD was the best, since it was the biggest of the 3.

Now I prefer the others, with a preference to Spyro 1 since it is comfy as fuck and sticks mostly to platforming with no mini-games.
>>
File: 1417416555328.jpg (62KB, 360x315px) Image search: [Google]
1417416555328.jpg
62KB, 360x315px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVi6E00tyw

Copeland is a bad dude
>>
>>3521232
>>3521705
>>3522702

I agree with all these in some way or another.

I personally say 2 > 1 > 3, because I think 2 has the best mix of gameplay and variety. 1 is second to me (and arguably interchangeable with 2) just because of ATMOSPHERE and being comfy as hell. No mini-games costs it some variety, but it works for it at the same time. 3 is last place simply because I thought there was too much variety. I still love it, but it's the weakest in retrospect. I too thought it was the best when I was younger.

I stand by what I said earlier in the thread. If 2 had one more hub, it'd be undisputed GOAT.
>>
>>3510938
Has to be the second hub world theme from riptos.
>>
>>3510938
Oh, that's easy. It's the level music from Hurricos.

https://youtu.be/MO8WX13Omn0
>>
File: 1467786804312.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1467786804312.png
6KB, 400x400px
>>3522612
>>
>>3523398
You might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEFAtS8Mg1s
>>
>>3523446

hahaha what the hell
>>
>>3522715
I wish he went forward to do more music in Spyro's style after EtD.
>>
>>3516475
you all are mah niggas.

>>3518552
I used to despise these little fuckers, but after i played through the game again about 2 months ago, they are easy to kill.

>>3518997
haunted towers gave me shit when i was a kid. I remember my mom going on the computer and looked for a walkthrough on dial-up. we got into an argument as to how to get the last dragon, and then took my ps1 from me for a week >:( I never realized i was supposed to use the supercharge ramp to get to the hidden area.

>>3519025
I loved this level, the best part was the ramps.

>>3520268
that was so cool, im gonna try that now.
>>
File: 1437880136263.png (467KB, 660x752px) Image search: [Google]
1437880136263.png
467KB, 660x752px
and this is how I feel about enter the dragonfly, that game was shit.
>>
>>3525450

Ah, haunted towers too actually. I didn't 100% the first game until a couple years ago, but then again I never really tried.

I toiled and struggled for that lost gem in YoTD though. That legitimately rustled me.
>>
>>3525453
I think I might have been fortunate that the only game I played past 3 was season of ice.
>>
File: ugly.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ugly.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>3525453
Yeah it's a piece of shit

It's also one of the most visually unappealing games I've ever played
>>
File: 1414989960477.png (232KB, 703x612px) Image search: [Google]
1414989960477.png
232KB, 703x612px
>>3525453
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyoao13PGU

You can beat it in 1 minute

Y'all should check out Touval's other vids if you aren't familiar with him. He's legendary in the Spyro speedrun community, and a breddy cool guy
>>
>>3526006
This looks like poser made porn.
>>
>>3525453
It's incredible how much they managed to fuck up considering it wasn't doing anything particularly ambitious compared to the PS1 games.
>>
>>3526424
the fuck is this shit
>>
>>3519025
All you had to do was follow the 1st thief
>>
>>3511575
>>3511593

1>2>3

It's that simple.
>>
I tried to get into Spyro but its way too easy ,and the collectathon shit is out of control.
>>
>>3511010
Enter the Dragonfly is Sanic06 tier garbage that's almost worth playing just to see how bad it is first hand, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hero's Tail is alright. It abandons the collect-a-thon style and is more of an adventure game. I actually find it little bit like Jak and Daxter in terms of structure, if the only collectables were precursor orbs.
It's alright but don't play it expecting Spyro 4.

The edgy reboot series is crap. The first one is playable but the rest are just suffering.

The GBA games are pretty good for what they are. The isometric games are decent enough collect-a-thons and the side scrollers are decent enough beat'em'ups
>>
>>3527504

Out of control as in too much of it? Because it was very doable in each game if you ask me. I completed most levels the first time through.
>>
>>3526424
I like that pic, do you have more?
>>
File: 1405331301977.png (99KB, 363x366px) Image search: [Google]
1405331301977.png
99KB, 363x366px
>>3532485
I have a few spyro related images. I'll continue to bump with em
>>
File: 1414996523110.png (26KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
1414996523110.png
26KB, 336x330px
Thread has run its course I think but I'll bump once more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnvLYEwSGlM
>>
File: 1412375012617.jpg (36KB, 242x286px) Image search: [Google]
1412375012617.jpg
36KB, 242x286px
I finished (but not completed) Spyro 1 last night
Such a sweet experience
>>
>>3537428
A great experience completing a kids game.
>>
I remember watching my friend's brother play Spyro until 4:30am on a weekend, but never played it myself... was fun watching, though
>>
>>3537435
all games fall under the entertainment catagory of electronics and are by definition "for kids"
>>
>>3510909
>Thread been up for nearly two weeks
>Barely 100 replies

Yeah this board is getting axed.
>>
>>3527504
It only gets retarded starting with 2.
>>
>>3537457
That's not right at all, or we wouldn't have classifications for games like we do for movies. However, Spyro is fun. Like a Miyazaki film can be watched by anyone from two years old to 90 years old, anyone can enjoy Spyro. Spyro is nothing like any Ghibli film, don't mistake me, but it's remarkably comfy.
>>
>>3537460
>quantity of posts is all that matters
kys
>>
>>3537428

Get crackin' on 2 and 3 now brah but don't play anything after that

What did you like most about it?
>>
>>3537428
but did you 100% it?
>>
File: 3 oct 16.png (165KB, 961x720px) Image search: [Google]
3 oct 16.png
165KB, 961x720px
>>3540478
>What did you like most about it?
can't say but definitevly I'll do 2 and 3, I may do the legend of spyro in a couple of years

>>3540647
120%
>>
>>3540647
As if it's hard to max out Spyro 1.
>>
>>3511337
Croc had tank controls like mad.
>>
Oh look, another Crash/Spyro thread ruined by N64 sperglords. Color me surprised.
>>
>>3540963
I hated 1 as a kid. Still do. Doesn't have the soul of 2 and 3. Feels kind of empty.

>>3510938
Buzz's Dungeon is one of my favourite songs out of 2 and 3

It's so fucking bleak. Didn't notice it as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qaoE7kdkY
>>
>>3540963
i might be one of the only people who actually like the first legend game
can't say i'd totally recommend it cuz the combat's hella repetitive & the voice acting happens throughout the game and can't be turned off
but the stages are pretty memorable and beautifully rendered, and if you don't mind the soundtrack taking itself seriously af i think it compliments the visuals quite well.
overall good atmosphere ok game but literally nothing like the first 3
>>
>>3542082
>I hated 1 as a kid. Still do. Doesn't have the soul of 2 and 3. Feels kind of empty
You mean having a better OST, no stupid fetch quests/mini games/crappy second characters and a artistic direction that feels more unique and fanatsy like than the generic saturday morning cartoon 2&3 got?

Damn, you still have as much shit taste as when you were a kid.
>>
File: polize.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
polize.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
Daily reminder that Stew Copeland is amazing. His work with the Police is GOAT level and even back when he was with Sting he could compose a good pop tune. If you like these soundtracks, you owe it to yourself to give a Police album a try.(I recommend Zenyatta or Regatta)
>>
>>3542778
What the fuck? The drummer from The Police wrote all the music for the Spyro games?
>>
>>3542829
yeah.
>>
>>3542778
If Copeland is so good why is Spyro's music over-glorified elevator tunes?
>>
>>3542849
>t. pleb with zero (0) taste
>>
>>3542082

I respect your opinion, but 1 was always my preference with atmosphere. Like >>3542586
said, no mini-games/supporting characters really helps nail the surreal and mystic atmosphere. It's a unique experience, and feels very different from the other two for this reason, but that's a good thing.
>>
I like the first Spyro the better. Nostalgia plays its small part here, I'm aware of that, but I feel like Spyro The Dragon's levels are bigger, prettier, somehow less linear and I honestly prefer the lack of NPCs. They also feel more consistent; the wide variety of settings in 2 and 3 turned me off a little bit

Is the most "basic" Spyro experience you can get, but I love it that way. No mini games, just pure collect a thon and the ocassional special levels. Also, best soundtrack, in my opinion.

That said, I love 'em all.
>>
>>3542829
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQq6rXdFGwE
>>
>>3544971
>I feel like Spyro The Dragon's levels are bigger, prettier, somehow less linear and I honestly prefer the lack of NPCs
Original Spyro is a game that encourages exploration/experimentation with action all around. 2&3 are just loads of bullshit padding.
>>
>le minigames are le bad XD
Seriously, who started this shit meme?
>>
>>3545007
It's not just mini-games that are trash. Games overall are trash.
>>
>>3545007
People who bought a platformer game expecting platforming.
>>
>>3512568

Explain to me how is it really nostalgia when I've beaten the first trilogy during the course of the last three or four years and enjoyed them like crack?

>inb4 we all have shit taste
>>
>>3542778
Prepare your nostalgic anus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PubFm2oPsw&list=PLvx9EQFmJk9tvY5I5z9NhSut76ySekC17
>>
>>3545115

>platform games are all about jumping, landing, repeating, there can't be any other sort of interaction

Stick to 2D games, then. There are very few genres that remained 100% loyal to their true form once they turned to 3D.
>>
>>3545341
(Follow for the full link for the album playlist)
>>
>>3512653
To be fair I don't think anyone wants another sonic fanbase, even if they would be fans of Spyro or Crash.
Could you even imagine a Crash based Chris Chan?
>>
>>3545007
They are when you rely on them too much. See: Spyro 3, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64
>>
>>3545342
Yes, 3D was the moment developers went full retard. Spyro 2 is when the developers started to fill their games with bullshit contents.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1474383855210.jpg (38KB, 462x711px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1474383855210.jpg
38KB, 462x711px
>>3519025
>hating on literally the best level in the game
I only wish there were more like it to be desu
>>
>>3542829

Here's "The Other Way of Stopping" by Copeland with The Police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ayehC1nDkk

To me, he had the kinda video game vibe going way before he composed for Spyro.
>>
>>3546679
>3D was the moment developers went full retard.
No they started going full retard once Sonic wanna-bes became all the rage during the 4th gen.
>>
>>3510938
you guys know Stewart Copeland of the Police composed the music on Spyro 1-3 right?

great music great games
far superior to Super Mario 64
>>
>>3519085
- Eyyy
>>
>>3549245
Damn, as much as I love Super Mario 64, I gotta agree with you on Spyro being superior in every way. I still prefer the Crash Bandicoot trilogy to Spyro though.
>>
The first game is better because it's a little bit difficult, making spyro seem like an action hero instead of a babby cartoon character. It also doesn't have all those minigames and extra characters
>>
>>3519025
It's fun when you understand what you are doing.
>>
File: idol2.jpg (192KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
idol2.jpg
192KB, 640x480px
>>3549416
>The first game is better because it's a little bit difficult
The first game is better because it's not trying to force you into playing through dumb shit.

FTFY
>>
>>3549392
Crash Bandicoot main games were not as good as Spyro (opinion)

however Crash Team Racing kicked the shit out of Mario Kart 64 (not opinion, objective fact Nintendo fanboys get rekt)
>>
>>3549860

I feel like 2's mini-games were fine for the most part yes even trouble with the trolley but 3 felt like an entire game of mini-games

>new character levels were mainly gimmicky
>mini-games everywhere in Spyro levels
>flight levels
>sparx levels

Damn I love them all but devs just get out of control as series go on. I'd honestly say it's probably a good thing Spyro ended when it did.
>>
File: 1474006468007.jpg (33KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1474006468007.jpg
33KB, 480x480px
>>3542778
Zenyatta > Ghost > Regatta > Outlandos > Synchronicity
>>
>>3550923
poster of>>3542778 here. I prefer Zenyatta>Reggatta>Synchronicity>Ghost>Outlandos. /mu/ almost had a discussion about them a few days ago..and we still can't find a consensus on the best.
>>
>>3551109
last time I went on /mu/ they unanimously hated the Police and called me a pleb for liking them
but yeah each album varies quite a bit and dabbles in-between subgenres which is good since they all have really solid production, although I think Synchronicity is a bit overrated for what it is.
Sting's still a cunt though.
>>
>>3551293
>last time I went on /mu/
why would you ever do that?
>>
File: stew.jpg (9KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
stew.jpg
9KB, 276x183px
>>3551293
/mu/ has a tendency to only post Grimes,Marina,K-Poop, Death Grips, Kanye, and a few other females who they're trying to pussy grab.
However, my biggest problem is that /mu/ worships Talking Heads while giving very little love to the Police who had every bit as unique a sound as Talking Heads.
Whenever, I bring the Police up they remember how good they are, though. I haven't been called a pleb for liking them.

Also, fuck Sting. He's never made a record a tenth as good as with his old band.
>>
>>3551307
to see what it was like, and the memes were all true.
>>
>>3522557
thanks man, will try and see if I can do this.
>>
>>3522557
>>3551465
I tried doing this for Spyro 1 recently, before finding that post, actually. The quality of the rips depends on the condition of the disc.
Some of the tracks came out with pops and screeches because my disc is bad.
>>
>>3510938
My favorite game is probably 2 but 3 is amazing and 1 still holds up

Favorite level in 1 is Dark hollow in 2 its Fracture Hills and in 3 gotta love Spike's arena

Favorite music though is Dark Hollow, Riptos Arena and Buzz's dungeon

I think my favorite homeworlds per game were Magic Crafters, Autumn Plains (But damn my favorite skyline was Winter Tundra and the music was pretty great), and Midday Gardens
>>
>>3510938
>I start threads on /v/ all the time but 8 outta 10 times it goes to page 10 very quickly

That generally happens with any /v/ thread that isn't shitposting bait, porn or other non-vidya shit.
>>
>>3550916
>trouble with the trolley
Was by no mean the worst mini game in Spyro 2.

>>3549860 is much worse, not even a 3 years old would find this crap tolerable.
>>
File: Going_Commando_NA_cover.jpg (97KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
Going_Commando_NA_cover.jpg
97KB, 640x908px
Hey kind of an off-topic thing to ask but seeing as how Insomniac made both of these series I guess it's sort of related.

Would /vr/ be a good place to make a thread about the series in pic related? I've seen threads about it go to page 10 very quickly on /v/ so I'm kinda curious to know.
>>
>>3550916
I agree.
Spyro 3 has some of the same problems Crash 3 suffered as well, like relying too much on gimmicky levels/areas.
It feels like the devs lost a bit of the pulse when it comes to what made both series loved.
>>
>>3552086
Start with the sticky
read the greeks
>>
>>3552031

Honestly...I didn't have trouble with that one either when I replayed 2 last year. It was annoying, yeah, but not too bad imo.

Kids are just shit at games is what a lot our remembered frustrations boil down to if you ask me. Not saying some of the mini-games in 2 and 3 aren't annoying, but they're far from the awful things some people try to call them.
>>
>>3521705
While I love the first spyro with all my heart it definitely doesn't have the best music, that's shared by Spyro 2 and 3. They just incorporate more complicated compositions and actual acoustic instruments in ways that can make some tracks from Spyro 1 one really show their age and MIDI-ness
>>
3 is the worst simply for having the most shitty, unfun levels. Ever played Charmed Ridge recently, with the buggy ass mushrooms and fucking awful sgt byrd fight.
>>
>>3554058
Name one track from Spyro 2 or 3 that's better than this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrucgmML3ck

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGHXeqfOm-s

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoIgMfMfkgY

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlS778H5ldg

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxVl-VRgfY

I could go on. I mean I get your point, but a more complicated composition does not equal a better song. Besides, I find the MIDI-ness charming.
>>
Speaking of music, you guys might find these interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRM8kgP_jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHnmXCVHbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsI9_tkc0U&index=6
>>
>>3510909

Only the first one.
>>
Spyro is great cause aside from just being fun it has a wondrous sense of atmosphere that a lot of games just dont have and that makes this one rather special
>>
>>3554073
sgt byrd is the fucking worst
at least shiela sort of controls like spyro
but byrd has fucking tank controls that don't fit a ps1 game
>>
>>3550916
I agree wholeheartedly.

Spyro 1 is an adventure game where the gameplay is exploring the level and finding everything.
Spyro 2 still has you exploring the levels, but your biggest focus is now reaching the end and leaving and now there are activities to do within the level.
Spyro 3 on the other hand is mostly linear travel where all you do is pick up gems on your way to the minigame portals.

And this is coming from somehow who considers Spyro 2 one of their all time favorites and basically inhaled Spyro 3 when it came out. I never even played Spyro 1 until I got it on my VITA, there's no nostalgia for it in me and I still think it's better.

Of course though this is all subjective though, and there's really nothing wrong about enjoying spyro 3 because you liked all the minigames and such. 2 and 3 just aren't as good of an adventure game as 1.

>>3554680
Free flying with Byrd in Enchanted Towers was great at least.
All of his minigame portals should have just been to let you roam a full Spyro level as Byrd
>>
File: 1458568976422.png (231KB, 304x366px) Image search: [Google]
1458568976422.png
231KB, 304x366px
>>3554680
>tank controls that don't fit a ps1 game
>>
>>3554731
yes, tank controls are more suited towards playing with a joystick, not analog or d-pad.
>>
>>3554698

Pretty much agree with all those points myself. I'm the anon you replied to.

I have nostalgia for all three games, but I once considered 3 the best in my youth, now I'm more of a 1 and 2 guy. It comes down to 2 being just the right mix of what made 1 good while introducing more things to do, and 1 just being a GOAT surreal comfy collectathon. I definitely love them all, but 3 is definitely the black sheep now that I look at things a few years later.
>>
>>3552086
mods are fags and don't allow Ps2 even though some of the games are 15 years old now
but yet they allow Dreamcast fucking lame
>>
B O X T H E Y E T I

O

X

T

H

E

Y

E

T

I
>>
>Spyro 1
>at 198/200 gems in a level
>check entire level

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY

at least the later games let Sparx point you in the general direction
>>
>>3554698
couldent someone make a gameshark cheat to lets you play as other characters throught the whole level
>>
>>3555192
>the later games let Sparx point you in the general direction
really?
>>
>>3555192
>at least the later games let Sparx point you in the general direction
Lmao fucking casual.
>>
>>3555218
yeah
on Riptos Rage and Year of the Dragon you can hold L1 L2 R1 R2 all at once and Sparx will point in the direction of the nearest gem

doesn't work in Spyro 1 and it's super aggravating
>>
>>3555298
get fucked bitch
ain't nobody got time to fuck around searching for 2 measly gems
>>
>>3555304
Too shit for a children's game.
>>
>>3555336
It's fine as long as it's How The Devs' Intended Itâ„¢
>>
>>3555192
Only time I got confused was in the high caves where a gem was in a corner I didn't check properly.
>>
>>3554058
>the first spyro definitely doesn't have the best music
Retard.
>that's shared by Spyro 2 and 3
Pure autism.
>>
>>3555336
>implying missing 2 stupid gems = lack of skill
>>
>>3555409
Yeah, it literally is when it's the only challenge in the game.
>>
>>3555193
That would take some full on hacking to get to work, because they aren't actually loaded in in any way outside of the levels they appear in.

Pretty much the only character swap cheats that work are playing as Spyro in the side character levels, because he's loaded in in the intro to the level, but all you can do is walk around because no other animations are loaded for spyro and it'll crash if you try to do anything.

They were surprisingly stingy about not loading in the smallest things if they aren't being used in any way.

>>3555401
The only non-treetops course I got really stuck on was Cliff Town, I never thought you could fly behind the starting area. I remember going to the public library to use a computer and try and search where the last gems were in the level on the internet and I didn't find anything because I was like 8. I ended up asking my sister for help and she found them in like 5 minutes which I might say is probably one of my proudest video game moments if I were a liar.
>>
>>3555456
minigames are harder
collect a thons don't take skill just autism
>>
>>3555687
it's not surprising they were stingy with that kind of thing, PlayStation CDs could only hold so much data. Spyro games had pretty damn good graphical quality for the time, especially compared to other PS games.
>>
Not sure if this is me going crazy, but this Aphex Twin track sounds like it belongs in a Spyro game. The keyborads sounds are GOAT: https://youtu.be/sIXYPjIWPGY
>>
Don't be daft OP, everyone likes Spyro.
>>
>>3555715

Never heard of these guys before but they're so chill. Thanks for sharing, anon.

What is the best boss fight in Spyro?
>>
>>3559348
>aphex twin
>these guys
Holy fucking shit. Kill yourself, you tremendous fucking pleb.
>>
>>3559348
Ripto is really fun I liked the use of varied power up and it included one of the best non-plane dogfight's I have ever had
>>
>>3511956
why do you care about what normies think of your choice in video games?
>>
>>3512568
SM64 has NOT aged well

Spyro 1-3 has
>>
Riptos Rage is my least favorite due to the backtracking to reach areas with abilities like climb
>>
only Nintendo fanboys would come into a Spyro thread and shit on the games and shill Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64

insufferable fucking douchebags
>>
>>3559720
SM64 is still loved and played on Youtube to this day.

Spyro's just a curio remembered nostalgically for being a B-grade alternative to SM64 on Playstation.
>>
>>3559743
we get it you're a Nintendo fanboy
go suck Marios mushroom dick somewhere else
>>
>>3559720
>SM64 has NOT aged well
Actually it has aged quite well.
>>
>>3559354
Calm your tits, anon. There's no need to be a faggot anon.
>>
>>3559734
Thankfully due to glitches, you can bypass almost every backtracking element of the game, except for stuff you have to headbash, and still 100% the game.
>>
>>3559354
It's time to head back to your cuck board.
>>>/mu/
>>
File: 1475808044407.png (152KB, 358x432px) Image search: [Google]
1475808044407.png
152KB, 358x432px
>>3526424
>age 30 1/2

im on the floor dying
>>
>>3510938
Really? I do the occasional Spyro thread on /v/ and it usually gets to 300 replies.
That being said, I never played Spyro 1. As a kid I started with 3, went to 2, and then for whatever reason stopped there. Did the same for Crash.
>>
why do the sound effects sound more crisp on Spyro 1 than Spyro 2 and 3

almost if they used more compression for the sequels

and 2 and 3 have a very similar feel, similar levels and control nuances etc very different than 1 to the point where I sometimes forget if Im playing 2 or 3
>>
>>3537460

>less posts = less bandwidth
>could easily limit images to 640x480 and 50KiB, ban webms with little/no effect on board
>not controversial like /pol/, /b/ etc

Photography, porn, and /pol/ are way more likely to be on the chopping block due to bandwidth and JIDF respectively
>>
>>3562654
just get rid of all containment boards honestly
>>
>>3562987
fool
do you realize what you are asking for?
>>
>>3563059
uncontrollable chaos?
I'm for it.
>>
>>3562498
Vomit-inducing post.
>>
>>3562498

Last several times I've tried one, my I either got like 70 replies then it was done, or it got 4 and went straight to page 10. I dunno, time of day probably matters.

But go play Spyro 1 right now you absolute filth
>>
>>3559734
Same

I used to have the same issue with Spyro 3 and the side characters, but then I find out that it's insultingly easy to get into those side areas early anyway.
Thread posts: 237
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.