[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turn-Based Strategies were GOAT.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14

File: gfs_26757_2_8.jpg (88KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_26757_2_8.jpg
88KB, 1024x896px
Turn-Based Strategies were GOAT.
>>
>>3462081
>rock-paper-scissors: the game
>goat
>>
>>3462081
They're my favorite genre by far. That's for sure.
>>
File: Glorious.jpg (14KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Glorious.jpg
14KB, 320x200px
>>3462081

I agree, turn based strategy games are the bee's knees.
>>
>>3462081
Front Mission is a TRPG. Turn based strategy refers to games like civilization.

I'm a big fan of TRPGs. My favourites include the Front Mission series, Fire Emblem 5, Tactics Ogre, the Langrisser series and (non-/vr/) Growlanser and SMT Devil Survivor games.
>>
>>3462081
>playing poor-man's chess simulators instead of actually learning how to git gud at chess in real life

lol, kill yourself
>>
I couldn't get into this game. Story intro was hella cliche and I didn't feel like the game teached me well enough to devise the best way to beat up everyone else. Felt slow as shit as well
>>
>>3462292
>poor-man's chess
Poor man's chess is actually chess.
>>
>>3462292
>feeling this inadequate you post this kind of shit on a cantonese drawing board when you don't even play chess either
>>
>>3462081
Pic Unrelated
>>
>all these faggots
Way to ruin a perfectly good thread /vr/
>>
Spot the Fire Emblem fag
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 266x190px
>tfw you're the only person on this god forsaken planet who's played the goat TBS.
>dat soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYRx1Q9ltk
>>
>>3462610
kek
>>
>>3463045
Looks about as much fun as watching paint dry.
>brown, ugly, dirt aesthetics everywhere
Fucking shocked that it's western trash.
>>
What happened to this place?
>>
>>3464338
/b/ spillover + summer
>>
>>3462610
This is spot on
>>
File: 225px-Stallman3.png (63KB, 225x239px)
225px-Stallman3.png
63KB, 225x239px
>>3462283
>Turn based strategy refers to games like civilization.
if i may interject...

an RTS game without city and resources is called tactical, but ofc there is also the argument that R.T.S. is a misnomer, and C&C AoE broodwars are RTT.

but board games are called simply Turn Based Strategy nonetheless.

So, shining force (and tactics ogre?) having characters with stats is an RPG + TBS, so you can call it TRPG, but if it didnt, it would be correct to call it TBS.

but TBS is a broad macro genre anyways, you should refer to civilization as city-building TBS, and to "tactics ogres without RPG" as TBT (Turn-based tactics)

...................but i guess from OP picture this thread is about TBS with tactical control, with or without RPG elements, so its a thread about TBT and TRPG
>>
>>3464338
>>3464340
I blame /v/. It's become difficult to have good discussion on non-new games. The Sega 3D Classics thread here has discussion, last night's on /v/ archived after 2 or 3 posts.

The shitposting/e-celeb stuff has led me to come here the last few months, mostly lurking. I don't think others are lurking.
>>
File: ufo-5.jpg (55KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
ufo-5.jpg
55KB, 640x400px
huge fan of the genre, also it's a crime that no one's mentioned x-com yet.
>>
>>3464338
We got bored discussing the same shit for three fucking years and three and a half million posts.
>>
>>3465578
/v/ has far better retro discussions than /vr/ though
While your thread might be buried quick depending on the time you post, if it catches you'll get a decent discussion while one dedicated autist on /vr/ can shitpost and derail every thread. Just look at all these Amiga shitpost threads and tell me it's a /v/ poster with a straight face.
>>
File: 1457464495064.png (446KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1457464495064.png
446KB, 640x360px
>>3465596
>>
>>3465596
It's good when it catches on at /v/ but I've seen a general higher post quality here. Ex: technical Posts in a thread about the NES breaking down how graphics on the system worked. I don't think you have to have that kind of knowledge to post, but if it's there that is more substantive than just general chat on game.

Agree with you on less traffic meaning shitposters have more of an effect though.
>>
>>3465596
This guy is right actually. Things archive faster on /v/ because it's a much faster board. But there's actually less shitposting on average and threads about /vr/ content tend to be really friendly. >>>/v/350288396

It sounds counter intuitive but the niche subject matter and lower board population actually attracts trolls here.
>>
I started Chroma Squad yesterday. Anybody here have a hot take on it for me?
>>
>>3465631
I see what you mean. There is some shitposting there (numale/thicc) but on the whole that is a good PSX thread. I wonder if I've just been lucky for the vr threads I've viewed.
>>
>>3465672
In /vr/ it depends a lot on the specific threads. Final Fantasy, Castlevania, fighters, shmups pretty much always get heavy trolling and are usually posted for that reason. Hardware collector/emulation and /CRT/new screen threads always have shit posters from the opposite side stirring shit up. And any youtube/eceleb thread derails quickly.

Aside from those, the other "normal" threads are usually more often decent than not.
>>
>holds breath
>>
File: Colonial Conquest 2.png (33KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
Colonial Conquest 2.png
33KB, 320x256px
>>3462081
They're comfy.
>>
>>3462610
Nah, it's checkers.
>>
>>3462292
NOT RETRO
>>
>>3462610
it's chess a bad game?
>>
Quick /vr/... give me a list of 5 games that plays similar to xcom (playable on win 7)
>>
File: Bill_GarlandMM.jpg (9KB, 246x158px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_GarlandMM.jpg
9KB, 246x158px
I liked metal marines a lot.
>>
>>3466252
No, checkers is chess for retards
>>
>>3466131

Agreed, looking at all your soldiers
>>
>>3468390
for the tactical part of xcom, there's a cool flash game called "mission in space", not too complex, but very entertaining nonetheless if you play to get gold medals, since just playing to complete the missions is childs play with, because with cumulative characters stats you can just retry easier mission and amount XP, but thats "cheating".

still with all updates done, its still quite the challenge to get gold medals on hard mode, quite the tbs brain teaser, but most ppl arent even reading this because there is flash written on the first phrase.
>>
>>3462081
Advance Wars and anything by KOEI are the best.
>>
>>3466131
I'm suddenly having flashbacks of the Machiavelli: The Prince game.
>>
File: hammer_of_the_gods.png (25KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
hammer_of_the_gods.png
25KB, 640x400px
>>3469937
I really liked most all the Quantum Quality/Several Dudes/Holistic Design stuff.
>>
File: Vandal_Hearts_Coverart[1].png (112KB, 256x242px) Image search: [Google]
Vandal_Hearts_Coverart[1].png
112KB, 256x242px
>>
>>3471383
This game would've been so much better if the engine didn't cycle through enemies that were going to do literally nothing and was a bit faster.

It's a great game but it moves at a snail's pace
>>
File: bgbrdemo.png (1MB, 1924x1056px) Image search: [Google]
bgbrdemo.png
1MB, 1924x1056px
I have many fond memories of the various Talonsoft games.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.