[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: Systemshock2box.jpg (25KB, 250x288px) Image search: [Google]
Systemshock2box.jpg
25KB, 250x288px
Just finished playing this bad boy for the first time. Totally lived up to the hype.

It wasn't without its flaws though. The skill and weapon system was pretty unbalanced with some skills (hacking, maintenance) being almost mandatory while others like research being almost useless. The hacking part itself was also pretty bad. It was just a random chance of clicking random nodes and hope you get it right.

Still, the atmosphere and soundtrack to the game were great. I really enjoyed it.
>>
I'm surprised you managed to finish it given how awful the game got past the recreation deck.
>>
>>3455054
research is pretty good. 25% damage bonus to half of the enemies is pretty good.

ss2 was the first game that comes to my mind that even attempts anything remotely related, so unbalanced skill trees is to be expected. actually it was kind of the norm back then. actually, I think it's a mark of good game design. the sorts of choices you make should be, at the outset, somewhat comprehensible in terms of what is good lng term. bad game design is when the underwater basket weaving tree is better than the guns tree in a shooting game.

but yeah. ss2 is in my top 5. too bad the designer went full sjw
>>
>>3455054
Yeah, it's a bit obtuse. The OSA path is the best, worth more modules, but then actually getting the high level psi powers seems not worth it.
>>
>>3455068
I didn't have a problem until just before the mind of the many boss fight. There's a passageway you have to fight through to get to the room and its filled with rumblers, and those floating beam shooting fucks, and things in the ground that shoot air up throwing you everywhere. After I got through that mess I was fine.
>>
>find laser rapier
>fuck yes it is time
>nope you need to put a shitton of points into energy weapons and agility in order to beat enemies over the head with a weightless sword
>fine whatever i didn't want those cyber modules anyway
>meet the requirements and finally get to use it
>not noticeably more effective than the starting wrench
What the fuck.
>>
>>3455806
it's like exotic weapons backwards, the key reason for investing into energy weapons is the laser pistol.
>>
>>3455054
shit game with shitty gameplay, just like deus ex. all rpg is shit. stop playing shitty games op
>>
>>3456204
shitty shit shitteroni
>>
>>3456223
my shits exactly
>>
Have you played the first one? If you liked SS2, you will probably like the first one as well.
>>
>>3456973
Isn't the first one an action-packed fps dungeon crawler?
>>
>>3456204
This anon has a point. Only the first System Shock was any good.
>>
>>3457020
No that was shit too m8. Like I said all rpg is a shit.
>>
>>3457021
SS1 isn't an rpg, ya dingas. It's an FPS/Adventure like Metroid Prime.
>>
File: hackers gonna hack.jpg (18KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
hackers gonna hack.jpg
18KB, 330x330px
Why do SS threads attract so many shitposters? Is it because it suddenly got popular with steambabies and now it's cool to hate it?
>>
>>3457412
I think it's more that it was venerated for a while as one of the "best games ever" and contrarianism/revisionism is in style now. Same reason we have a "Is OoT good?" thread every week.
>>
>>3457024
i'll admit i havent played it lol

still, it was probably shit. looking at youtube its gameplay looks like total shit
>>
I'm sad that System Shock 3 will most likely be shit and rape the storyline.
>>
Am I the only one wgo thought this game was a bit too easy? By the end of the game I had 220 cyber modules and only upgraded my standard and hacking skills and I killed shodan in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>3460653
That was the whole point of the second last level. I think
>>
Do Anons know any interesting things in SS2?
Any exploits, strategies, cheap tricks that are fun to use?

Supposedly, there are weapons that dont jam. First usable shotgun that you find up and next to Dr.Watts office in Medical, and a pistol at either Operations or Recreation deck.

Laser weapons deteriorate slower than others. When using Laser Pistol at Overload fire mode normally you need to wait 2s to fire again. Switch to normal firing mode and again to Overload to manually cycle weapon and bypass the wait time, allowing to fire at quite high rate.

Beating Overworld Zero on the gamepig gives you 20 nanites. You can scum the game by quitting gamepig, saving in SS2 and getting back to gamepig to continue OWZ.

You dont need any Research or Hacking to beat the game. Toxin A can be researched by using research implant hidden on the same deck, and there are 4 ICEPick autohacking units throu the whole game, letting you to hack both story related replicator to get the resonator and all three shields during final boss fight.
>>
>>3461058
>Switch to normal firing mode and again to Overload to manually cycle weapon and bypass the wait time, allowing to fire at quite high rate.

That is cheating. Just get two laser pistols, and switch between them to overload-fire faster.
>>
>>3461175
Where can one get laser pistol early game?
Not counting one supplemented for those that got energy weapons training, I think first laser pistol you can find is one inside the chest in cargo bay in Engineering.

Also, before you choose if you want to be an OSA, Navy or Marine, there are those training rooms that teach you basics of gameplay.
They provide you with free nanites, guns and ammo for training and all that fun stuff.
All things are removed from inventory upon leaving those training rooms.

But if youre smart enough you can rob them and provide yourself with ammo, guns and hypos for the rest of the game.

For example, you want to steal a gun.
1.grab a gun into the inventory
2.face the exit
3. open inventory
4.grab a gun from inventory like you would want to put is somewhere else
5.HOLD IT LIKE THAT!
6. walk out of the room

Gun should drop on the ground in front of the training room you just left.
It can be done with anything, including whole gigantic stacks of ammo and hypos.

REMEMBER!
If you pick those stolen things up and enter training room again, they will be removed upon exit like any other item.

To steal both gun and ammo you need to steal them separately.
Steal a gun, leave it lying on the ground, steal ammo, pick both up and move on to choose a career. You will start a game with those items.
>>
>>3460586
What makes you think this anon?

I have high expectations for SS3, Warren Spector is directing it with a load of the old Looking Glass people
>>
>>3457018
It has more combat than SS2 does, but on the whole it's a very similar game.
>>
>>3461240
It doesnt have the original art director
>>
>>3461240
night dive studios are pro-SJW

expect shodan to ramble on about feminism and misogyny
>>
>>3455069
>too bad the designer went full sjw

There's literally nothing wrong with social justice.

>>>/v/
>>>/pol/
>>>/m/
>>>/tv/
>>
>>3462345
There's literally nothing wrong with shitposting /vr/!
>>
>>3462348
Sorry child but telling a bigot off is not shitposting. You're on the wrong side of history deal with it or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3457412
Because SS fanboys take the cake every time.
>>
File: reddit-discarded.png (727KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
reddit-discarded.png
727KB, 800x800px
>>3462352
Reddit please go.
>>
>>3462345
Shut up, white boy.
>>
>>3462345
>>3462352

Reddit get out

We don't want your cancer.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ScjZGArpUs

Posting ZP
>>
>>3461240
probably the same reason why we won't see a new vtmb
>>
File: 1471210502361.png (217KB, 537x409px) Image search: [Google]
1471210502361.png
217KB, 537x409px
>>3462352
>Sorry child
There's that condescending SJW attitude. This is why no one likes you.
>telling a bigot off
You never told him off. If that's your version of "telling people off" then you should probably stop coming to 4chan.
>You're on the wrong side of history
Okay this is bait. 8/10 seemed authentic, got replies.
>>
>>3461058
Spend points in research, more than energy weapons, just use disposable pistols instead of assault rifle.

Research allows you to use the crystal shard, which wrecks spiders and hybrids. - I use it as my main weapon unless I'm up against turrets or robots. Research also lets you use the worm-blood implants, so you can heal yourself from piles of worms - very handy.
>>
>>3462937
>heal yourself from piles of worms
That makes those piles disappear forever tho, doesn't it?

Honestly, I dont really find investing in research that much profitable.
You can research all organs with an implant alone and thats nice and useful.
But what good gives you additional Research? Worm implants? Very specified use.
Worm armor? Maybe if you are psi user.

What Im trying to say is that there are better things to invest into than Research
>>
>>3463072
>That makes those piles disappear forever tho, doesn't it?
that way you dont stand on them and get toxin-ified

They're like a free tasty medkit

You dont have to go all-research (although I did play a complete research build once - pretty fun, spent the game running around the various chemical storerooms and maxing out my knowledge.) but at least the crystal shard is excellent. saves you a lot of ammo, and really destroys hybrids and spiders.
>>
Guys, I just had awesomely retarded idea that almost make me want to learn how to mod ss2.

Shodan fell twice because she, in her infallible artificial logic, didn't acknowledged how much of a wild card human being can be.
But now, stuck in an escape pod, drifting throu the space, having loots of time and convenient potential test subject in form of Tommy, she has prime opportunity to figure out what exactly makes human psyche tick.

Mod would be basically randomly generated dungeon(not really) crawler.
Starring as Tommy involuntarily hooked to the VR device, player would have to fight his way throu randomly generated floors in order to reach the elevator.
From time to time you would encounter rooms containing either replicators(sometimes busted), hackable chests, keypad-ed doors, medical bed units, recharge stations, OS upgrade stations and all that fun stuff.
Enemies would be generated with the floor and keep respawning at the rate they do in normal game just to keep things interesting. The further you can get, the harder enemy types you encounter.
Player would be rewarded with cybermodules upon completing the floor and reaching elevator which would lead to the next level.
I guess it would keep Many as mid-game boss and SHODAN as final one, changing few things around SHODAN, like placing additional turrets or something to ramp up the difficulty.

After either winning OR loosing, the game is over, but you're still in the damned pod, so the whole cycle continues ad infinitum just so SHODAN can mine your performance for data and variables in order to prepare for next time she will have a human go against her.

All in all, it would make for SS2 themed rougelike shooter, as if there weren't enough of those already.

How retard/awesome of an idea is that?
Would you play or at least check something like that out?
What would need an improvement for it to work?
Anything you would want to add to/remove from it?
General opinion?
>>
File: back in the days.jpg (89KB, 562x631px) Image search: [Google]
back in the days.jpg
89KB, 562x631px
>>3462352
>>
New SS3 interview with Warren Spector.

http://pastebin.com/MtwdzMcG
>>
>>3463620
I feel that its going to be shit.
>>
>>3455806
They explain it in a log stating that you need the training and agiility to literally not cut yourself on that edge, friendo.
>>
>>3463660
Not to mention that it also states that its a replica.
It was made just so happy merchants could get nanites from obese fedora-wearing cyber warriors that want to imitate Hacker.
>>
>>3463620
>the next game in one of the most influential role-playing series of the past two decades
>role-playing
lol
>Arturo has been working on our version of Shodan, which is going to be interesting and different from what people expect. I expect it will infuriate some people but definitely get people talking
i hope there's no political agenda in that game
>>
>>3463352
I think if you ease off on the full rogue like and just have a few crazy random elements that could be rad as fuck!
>>
>>3463772
>just have a few crazy random elements
Could you be more specific?
What exact random elements do you have in mind?
>>
>>3463747
>I expect it will infuriate some people but definitely get people talking

Socjus confirmed.
>>
Not much interest for such good game.
>>
>>3463825
Maybe he means don't randomize health kits or something?

Diablo style random maps and enemy progression would be pretty cool.
>>
Just starting this.

Should I just reassign the keys or is the movement WZXC for a reason? I get the turning buttons because you're frequently stitching between the inventory and shooting modes. But am I really gonna need the leaning and ducking where they are? But yeah, is it something you just get used to, or is something I need to change if I don't instantly get it?
>>
>>3466642
You can get by without leaning but it can make it feel more horrory if you're scared and peeking around at some points.

You need buttons for reload change weapon mode, and change ammo type. And crouch and run and use.
>>
>>3466593
Dunno.
Checked out ShockED/DromED and it seems pretty straightforward.
Making physical levels isn't hard, just time consuming.
Placing objects, light sources and all that also quite easy.
Now, linking stuff together, like making a button open the door and shit, thats giving me a bit of a hard time.

As I am right now, I have absolutely no idea how or even if some of my ideas here >>3463352 are possible, mainly the randomly generated levels.
But im learning stuff and having fun with it, so maybe Ill get to it someday.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.