[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that are virtually impossible without a walkthrough. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

Games that are virtually impossible without a walkthrough. I dont want anyone coming in here just to brag about "I beat that game when I was 5 blindfolded" you can go start your own thread.

This is for games that are so cryptic help is needed.
>>
I managed as a kid to make it to the alien world through years of sheer trial and error but I could never get further than the screen with the falling cherry bombs. Even if I outran them to the next screen they would still blow up and I'd drop dead. I guess you have to shoot them but I could never get it in time.

I wish I hadn't given the game away since I did play it a lot but it really needed a map system or something. All I remember now is something about buying vitamins but I have no idea what each one was for.
>>
File: BAHB.jpg (86KB, 736x694px) Image search: [Google]
BAHB.jpg
86KB, 736x694px
I mostly played it when I was 8, and used the Nintendo Power issue as help, but if I had been older and had more presence of mind, I think I would have tried to graph out an accurate map of the underground, with treasure ranked as easy, medium and difficult to obtain (that one in the spikes underwater is fucking impossible).

The Blobonia section is a completely different kind of game that you're not even trained to play after the underground labyrinth.
>>
I don't think anyone managed to beat A boy and his Blob without help. How would people know about the switches they need to hit to avoid the death traps? Or getting to the final area? The game is more or less fair up until you go to Blobolonia, then it just stops trying to be fun.

Dragon Warrior/Quest 2 is guilty. Finding the crests without searching every fucking tile? Better have a walkthrough. Don't get me started on the Cave to Rhone.

Wizardry 4 is a contender. You need to have BEATEN previous games to be able to solve some of the puzzles in the game in order to win. Level 4 was the result of Sir-Tech saying "Just how fucked up of a level can we have?" Pic related:
>>3439289
Oh, and you have a limited number of steps you can take to beat the game. Because fuck first time players.

Pretty much any text adventure game.

Return to Ringworld has a really fucked up puzzle early in the game. The clue is buried in the encyclopedia in the game, which has pages and pages and pages worth of material just for lore reasons. It appears no different than the lore material. You could read through the entire encyclopedia and still not understand the answer, or know that the little bit of info WAS an answer to anything. Another puzzle involves traveling either north or south on the rim of the Ringworld. One way has an exit where you are supposed to go. The other way is endless road. There is no indication which is which. The game seems to keep track of how far you've traveled. You can travel at top speed for 30 minutes the wrong direction, and have to spend 30 minutes traveling back to check the other way, if you didn't know in advance that the exit is only 30-50 seconds travel away from the start point. I like the game but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
>>
>>3445991
Is that really only as big as it is? I call bullshit, it felt 10x bigger.
>>
File: BAHB Cover Art.jpg (74KB, 369x529px) Image search: [Google]
BAHB Cover Art.jpg
74KB, 369x529px
>>3446057

That's the Earth map, you also have the Blobolonia section, but that's it.

I could clear all but that one treasure. Got really good at using the trampoline, even had a spot marked with scotch tape at the bottom of my screen so I knew where to line up the Blob-Trampoline.
>>
File: zelda.jpg (32KB, 377x226px) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
32KB, 377x226px
>>3445963
>>
>>3446036
On the topic of DW2, I don't even think there were in-game clues for several of those crests.
>>
>>3446036
>Return to Ringworld
Sounds like the developers were sadists
>>
>>3446064
I had a buddy who used tracing paper to mark several of the spots
>>
File: 1471688238054.jpg (31KB, 316x340px) Image search: [Google]
1471688238054.jpg
31KB, 316x340px
>>3446068
The game comes a map.
>>
Played it as a kid a bunch, loved it, but like >>3445967 shit on the alien world got real and I died too much to ever make it to the last screen.
As an adult, however, I've beaten the game.

Anyway, what's so difficult about it isn't that it's cryptic (it isn't), it's that enemies are everywhere on the alien planet and they fucks you up hard, n'yamean?
>>
>>3446101
>sadists
Buddy, you have no idea. Have fun with the 3-D maze where you have to clear EVERY SINGLE ENEMY to complete it. Followed by the 4X4 button grid puzzle. Of course, this all comes after the part where you half to walk really slowly around a giant fucking platform and gather every single part needed to get off the platform. Miss one part? Gonna have to walk there and back, which will take ages.

At least the game had passable voice acting.
>>
>>3445963

I beat it for the first time in a few hours last year. it's really not cryptic at all.
>>
>>3446114
but it's incomplete
>>
File: 1389717707480.png (88KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1389717707480.png
88KB, 5000x5000px
>>3446195
>>
>>3445963
>use all the jelly beans in humorous ways
>laugh at blob guy
>???
>go do something else
did anyone NOT do this
>>
>>3446351

Of course, it's a perfect screw around with your friend's NES kind of game.
>>
File: 250px-Driller_inlay.png (167KB, 250x326px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Driller_inlay.png
167KB, 250x326px
You have four hours to plant 18 drills in various sectors around a moon, lest it blow up. These drills can only be planted in specific locations and orientations, and outside of one the game does not tell you where these are. If you screw up, you waste fuel. If you run out of fuel, you die. You have to enter & exit some sectors through falling off the game void; do this in the wrong place and you die.

Also, this is a fully 3D game, and so computers like the C64 and Spectrum easily go below 0.5fps. Every frame has a loading bar.
>>
>>3446351
I liked making him into a coconut and just throwing him off cliffs
>>
>>3446068
>Games that are virtually impossible without a walkthrough

Is the remake on Steam better in that regard?
>>
>>3446036
>I don't think anyone managed to beat A boy and his Blob without help.

TMR beat it completely blind in 4.5 hours. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-gWZFa1JE
>>
>>3447060
I'm assuming you meant Boy and His Blob, not Zelda, but judging from the reviews it's retardedly simplistic and easy to the point of boredom. I have it but haven't bothered to play it yet. Keep it mind it was originally for Wii so that tells you a lot about who it's target audience was.
>>
File: 1368099288091.gif (954KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
1368099288091.gif
954KB, 375x211px
>>3446513
>>
No game is impossible without a walkthrough. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>3447963
The Impossible Game
The Impossible Quiz
Mission Impossible
Kim Possible
>>
File: 1460135121969.png (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1460135121969.png
78KB, 600x600px
Not a game but this whole side quest.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.