[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good retro mecha games, where you can customize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 17

File: MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg (64KB, 400x467px) Image search: [Google]
MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg
64KB, 400x467px
What are some good retro mecha games, where you can customize your mech and make it really feel like your own machine?

The only ones that come to mind for me are the Mechwarrior and Armored Core series.
>>
>>3433164
You should visit >>>/m/, they usually got a dedicated thread for mecha videogames, both old and new.
>>
Battledrome
>>
File: 4456f2.png (567KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
4456f2.png
567KB, 640x480px
Heavy Gear
>>
The Front Mission games have some customization.
>>
File: Vehicle Cavalier.jpg (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Cavalier.jpg
171KB, 800x600px
Vehicle Cavalier
>>
Faselei!
>>
File: catapult.gif (19KB, 222x240px) Image search: [Google]
catapult.gif
19KB, 222x240px
>>3433164
Bah! Mechwarrior 2 and 3 let you customize the mechs far too much, to the point that each one was only a blank canvas of a specific size.

The only thing differentiating them was whether they were clan mechs, and whether they had arms swing and torso twist capability. That's just spitting in the face of believability, ones with big honking missile racks should be biased towards missile capability!

There WAS a mod/patch for mechwarrior 3 to bring it more in line with battletech rules, though it did not address those issues, instead IIRC it made those weird autocannons more in line with other weapons and made them more viable choices, probably also making PPCs and gauss cannons fire faster as well.

Mechawarrior 3 should have given you a Supernova early on, to actually make mech choices a meaningful part of the game.
>>
File: frame-gride-image851549.jpg (52KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
frame-gride-image851549.jpg
52KB, 480x360px
Frame Gride aka Virtual-On meets Armored Core.
>>
>>3433164
The best mech game is never not going to be Mechwarrior 2
>>
>>3433390

and MW3 doesn't run for shit on modern PC's
>>
>>3433164
Krazy Ivan.

No idea if it was any good. Only had the demo.
>>
File: Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png (138KB, 256x254px) Image search: [Google]
Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png
138KB, 256x254px
Front Mission series.

Turn and squad based, but you can customize your mechs down to the specific part paint jobs. Japanese devs but not weeb or anime-grounded. Pic related is the best but 4 is good too and 5 has an English language patch.
>>
>>3433768
dgvoodoo2 gets rid of all the rendering issues on modern hardware, even with AMD cards
Sometimes the game bugs out with random crashes or crazy physics, but rebooting my PC fixes all these problems. It's weird, but it works.
>>
I've got two questions for the mech heads.

1) Are there any mech games that are shooterish like Mech Assault or Hawken?

2) I never understood the combat or flow of Mech Warrior. It's a huge plane like >>3433862 where you have nowhere to run or hide. It feels like it's a game of who is decked out more and try to out damage each other in direct line of fire. Always confused, still is.
>>
>>3433924
Is the only MW you played the shitty mechwarrior online? What makes MW good for me is the single campaign of the older titles.
>>
>>3433936
I played Mech Warrior Online beta like once, but the combat only "worked" for me due to the dynamics of team play. Like I managed to pick off a lot of people because they were distracted in battle. In the past I've played Mech Warrior 4 (may be Mercenaries) and I couldn't understand how I was supposed to play the game. I stood from a mountain, zoomed in, and shot my stuff at the enemy as far as my heat or whatever allowed. It was just the enemy and me circle strafing and I try to aim at their chest or legs.
>>
>>3433924
Mechwarrior is largely about fighting in open areas, sure, but it's far more than just having two mechs broadside each other.

Different weapons have different ranges, fire rates, damage outputs, some use ammo, some are energy based and generate heat which must be dissipated.

A lot of the combat is about the engagement, how you position yourself, how you handle your weapon output and heat build up, trying to keep in or out of range of various weapons. Movement is very deliberate and has a lot of variables, particularly since you can rotate your torso, move vertically or strafe with jumpjets and use MASC for speed boosts.

Weapon grouping and locational damage are important variables. If a mech has missiles and lasers and you know they're close to overheating, focus fire the missile launchers. Even if you don't destroy them, in PvP you'll cause the opponent to try and put the other side in your way, which limits his combat effectiveness. Different armor for front / back is also a critical consideration, particularly when engaging multiple targets.

Buildings and hills can provide momentary barriers, but mostly you're moving and positioning yourself relative to the opponent. Engaging more than one enemy is a case of prioritising and removing and then moving.

Jumpjets and other add ons add more depth to the combat. Load-outs pre-mission are an essential part of the process and can lose the encounter before it begins. A 25 tonne mech with jets and weak lasers could take out a 100 tonne behemoth with immense amounts of missile based ordinance just by outmanoeuvring.
>>
File: phantom2.jpg (37KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
phantom2.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
Phantom Crash and its sequel SLAI
https://youtu.be/JwNApZMTKj8?t=2m37s
>>
>>3433768
You gotta be clear about your definition of modern, I doubt it includes a VIA nano system running reactOS.
>>
File: Earthsiege_box_art.jpg (13KB, 200x256px) Image search: [Google]
Earthsiege_box_art.jpg
13KB, 200x256px
Earthsiege 1 & 2

The called theirs HERCS I think and it was fun as far as I can remember. I played it back in the 90s sometime and I saw it up on some abandoned ware websites years ago but I didn't get it.
>>
>>3434031
just saw hi-rez released them all as free ware at

www.tribesuniverse.com/
>>
>>3434031
Starsiege is surely the superior choice here?
>>
>>3434343
starsiege is not a mech game
>>
>>3433924
Earthsiege has shield power allocation, so it feels even more like a starship.
>>
>>3434410
Uh....what? It's as much a mech game as mechwarrior is.
>>
File: ac.jpg (491KB, 964x952px) Image search: [Google]
ac.jpg
491KB, 964x952px
I have two brothers who were way into Mechwarrior 2 back in the day. I always thought it looked kind of neat, but it was too complex for 12-year-old me. And, for someone who enjoys customization, it's a little disappointing that modifying your mech doesn't actually change its appearance.

I also had the demo of Armored Core, and thought that was really fun, though I never got to play the full game. In Armored Core you can personalize your mech with different paints and emblems; it even has a built-in paint program so you can draw your own emblem! Armored Core FTW.
>>
>>3433706
Fucking Lel!
Keep dreaming, cuck.
>>
>>3433164
Armored Core and Front Mission are all you need.
>>
>>3435046
my bad, I was thinking about tribes
>>
File: Armored Core MA (31).png (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Armored Core MA (31).png
223KB, 1920x1080px
My own all-american machine.
>>
>>3435515
>overweight

ok, you got me
>>
>>3435503
Tribes ;_;
>>
>>3435459
I bet you can't even get the game to work on your modern shit box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzWdwj9NvU
>>
>>3435459
And your choice of mech game is? It's not like this genre is actually good or anything. 90% of people are playing for the robots, not for the shitty gameplay found in most of these titles.
>>
File: thanks google.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thanks google.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
>>3434031
Fucking awesome game once you get used to the controls. You can give orders to your HERC bodies and salvage weapons/scrap from the enemy.

I'm currently playing Es2 and you can even fly around a little plane
>>
>>3435515
Haha
>>
I love Mechwarrior 2. I recently replayed the campaign on hard using a Firemoth for every mission... good times.

It got quite sticky towards the end. Took a few months to finish.
>>
File: cyberstorm_3.png (437KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cyberstorm_3.png
437KB, 640x480px
>>3434031
Speaking of Earthsiege, there's also Cyberstorm which takes place in the same universe.
>>
>>3433164
>How you want your boring, slow as shit, trash can with reverse leg joints combat, fàm?
>>
>>3433835
>This guy is right.
>>
>>
>>3433304
Which also happens to be the Earthsiege/Starsiege series.

Damned shame that once Starsiege tribes came out, they abandoned the entire franchise and single player gaming.
>>
>>3433706
Well...

What about Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries?
>>
File: UM_R60_L_Urbanmech.jpg (194KB, 1279x1482px) Image search: [Google]
UM_R60_L_Urbanmech.jpg
194KB, 1279x1482px
>>3437239
>trash can
Guess someone's not a fan of the Urbanmech.
>>
>>3437834
How is Battledrome btw? Does it take place between E1 and E2? Is it squad and mission oriented too?
>>
>>3438918
Totally different from the two. It's much more like Armored Core where you customise your HERC and fight people 1 on 1. Can't say I remember about the setting, probably different too.
>>
>>3433164
If you're a fan/don't mind RTS's, there's this relatively obscure game called "Metal Knight: Terminate Resistance" which was made by some Chinese company.

According to the only forum google searches brought up, the game failed to sell in the Americas. How I ended up with a copy, I have no idea.

Anyway, the neat thing about this RTS was you could build your own custom unit. That is, you'd research legs, torso, and guns, then make a blueprint for your unit in real time. It meant you had to consider speed, armor, and firepower when constructing your forces.

If anyone here is a fan of RTS's, I'd say check it out. It's pretty fun, and a shame it's so obscure.
>>
>>3437839
^
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.