[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: General DOS gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

File: 2000px-StartingMsdos2.jpg (48KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-StartingMsdos2.jpg
48KB, 2000x1125px
ITT: General DOS gaming
>>
File: 5033-bedlam-dos-front-cover.jpg (137KB, 789x921px) Image search: [Google]
5033-bedlam-dos-front-cover.jpg
137KB, 789x921px
What I wouldn't do for a GOG release of Bedlam...
>>
File: 1k01_graffiti1k2.png (69KB, 540x400px) Image search: [Google]
1k01_graffiti1k2.png
69KB, 540x400px
DOSbox and other game-focused emulators are sloppy, mediocre approximations that still don't hold a candle to actual PC hardware of the time.

Pic related.
>>
>>3417828
Well if Dosbox gives you problems, you could always try PCem which emulates the hardware itself rather than a dos command line environment.
>>
File: the-summoning_dos.png (564KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
the-summoning_dos.png
564KB, 960x600px
Were there any other games that controlled like pic related (The Summoning)? I like the isometric angle with semi-active fighting. Full active like Revenant is good too.
>>
>>3417828
Yeah, I still got me my pentium 166, I installed DOS on that. I need a suitable video card with S-video though. And controllers, the gravis gamepads I've found quite cheap are rather lacking.

I have one PCI video card with DVI and composite video, it would kind of be a waste to use it for a DOS system, I'll probably need it more for another one, it seems too modern anyway, I bet it's due to cause compatibility issues.
>>
File: 20160805181603_2.jpg (193KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160805181603_2.jpg
193KB, 1920x1080px
I recently played Dark Forces and really liked it, despite being stuck in Nar Shaddaa because of that hidden path, and despite having so many maps in which you have to backtrack to the start of them when you got to the end.

Any way good retro FPS with plenty of cool stuff, like pretty cool effects, 3D models, y-axis level design with several floors, etc half of the weapons have an alt-fire and I only realized about 3/4th into the game because I really didn't expect an FPS of the time to have alt fire.
>>
File: 1450793216447.png (117KB, 1024x749px) Image search: [Google]
1450793216447.png
117KB, 1024x749px
>>3418035
are those spurdos?
>>
>>3418418
I couldn't even find the exit on the first level
>>
This is probably a long shot but wayyy back in the days of 3.5" diskettes I played a "racing" game

Essentially you picked from a few different cars you could afford with the given money and had them In your garage, you could mod them with the money then go out and race for money, I beleive it was fairly rudimentary controls like space bar to shift gears or somthing

I have a feeling the color palette of the game was very basic as in like when you were in the garage everything was blue etc.

Long shot but hey, maybe somone remembers it
>>
>>3418418
grew up playing this shit, loved it few years ago too but man some of the mazes and backtracking sucks
>>
>>3419140
If you ask me the first level is the worst.

But the automap is your friend. That and memory.

It's true it's got some mazey parts which can get overwhelming, and like >>3419176 said as well, backtracking in a few levels is a bit annoying.

But honestly it's a game with a lot of great stuff. The devs put some love into it to create some effects which for the time were amazing, like that flying sector in the screenshot I posted for instance, and it's far from the best of it.
>>
File: Street Rod 2_1.png (9KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Street Rod 2_1.png
9KB, 320x200px
>>3419151
Muthafuckin Street Rod!? Loved that game
>>
>>3419375
I got it on Steam. So I'll give it another go. I remember going circles for 30 minutes and giving up
>>
>>3418418
I played a lot of fan maps for this and also made a few of my own. I remember some of them were modded to include a crude usable light saber and other gimmicks. The most memorable maps I played were the "bespin" map and "Lahara Hotel".

I found this link which still seems to have some stuff up for download;
http://df-21.net/downloads/
>>
>>3419378
Yes!! Haha fuck what are the odds
>>
I've always wondered what DOS itself could've been like, had Microsoft continued to develop it further. Think about it: First 32-bit and then later 64-bit addressing natively, multi-tasking, native USB support, NTFS and ExFAT support, some sort of DirectX-like (but simpler) API to make gaming and multimedia work better without all those silly bubblegum fixes, proper networking code... And of course, full backwards compatibility to support all the old 16-bit stuff.

I'm telling you, Microsoft should've kept DOS going as a budget operating system. With proper design choices they might have even been able to corner some of the markets now held by Linux.
>>
>>3419559
>multi-tasking

No.

The beauty of DOS is that it's dedicated to performing only one task at a time, using the undivided hardware resources available.

Also, I would have liked to see a post-Sound Blaster era of quality MS-DOS sound cards based on standard technology. GUS was still proprietary and General MIDI had hardly gotten off the ground by the time standalone MS-DOS had reached its end in the mid-90s.
>>
>>3419517
Yea man. Street Rod was my shit back in the day. I remember that asshole in the black Corvette. You can get the first and second off Abandonia.
>>
File: Captura.png (81KB, 643x408px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
81KB, 643x408px
The first GTA for DOS, man this game maybe looks easy but it's a real challenge
>>
>>3419559
It could still be tried, if you're really that curious! Vortex86 and Geode chips were probably too expensive, Atoms and Nanos were probably a bit excessive, but Quarks seem pretty well suited for dos!

Freedos is already out there.

And it's not like such a system would be at any risk of a shortage of software.

Not an appropriate "could've been" question, but simply a straightforward prospects question.
>>
>>3419880
>Don't have enough memory to play the game
>get a motorbike and go so fast that when it zooms out at the most the game crashes.
>>
what is a DOS game

like WoTMUD?
>>
>>3420231
Any game that ran on the DOS operating system. Dunno what WoTMUD is but like Warcraft 2 and Doom
>>
>>3420213
Wait. Are you saying something like that could run DOS off of it?
>>
>>3420231
>>>/wiki from the sticky/
>>>/out/
>>
>>3420335
Not an actual Galileo board, it doesn't have any display outputs, but raspberry pi type system with an Intel Quark chip. I don't see why such a thing couldn't be made to run freedos and reactOS.
>>
>>3420363
This makes me curious. Would be badass if possible. Build a portable DOS machine for all your retro gaming needs. Would it be possible to set pins to say a custom gamepad?
>>
>>3420564
Errr, I think I'm quite in the dark about that, I'd guess that input compatibility quirks affecting RISCOS on a raspberry pi might be roughly reflective of input hurdles for such a sort of freedos SBC.

A quark actually seems a bit weaker than a pi CPU, but there are tons of highly optimized 68000 emulation libraries out there, but then RAINE already had a dos version, so that's kind of implied anyway.

So a custom controller should only need 4 buttons, unless you were emulating a hat switch or even throttle.
>>
>>3420605
Yea I'll have to take a look into it. I don't have anything better to do
>>
I love DOS, I recently rebuild our family's old DOS computer from parts that we kept and some new ones.

Bought a nice MT-32 and SC-55 too, but whenever I run Quest for Glory 4 CD with SB fx and MT-32 music the bloody thing crashes with a granular error, anyone know what could be causing that and maybe how to fix it? (besides switching to general midi for music)

It crashes straight from the original install, and still crashes when I use the NRS patches.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.