[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need your help, /vr/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

I missed out on video games in general because of my parents. Not even pirating and emulating games prevented me from being crippled since they would just grab the PC and take it away, sometimes even going as far as getting rid of the Internet service.

Now that I have more liberty to do things, I want to play the classics, even those that I might already know.

What do you suggest?
>>
If you have a pc just download an NES emulator and some of the top games. NES is a good place to start.
>>
>>3378075
Thanks.
>>
>>3377892
I'd recommend to start from playing Super Mario Bros 1, 3, Super Mario World and Super Mario 64. The reason is, they shaped the video games as a whole and inspired millions of other stuff.

Same with Dragon Quest for Japanese RPG. Final Fantasy, etc. copy Dragon Quest almost to a T in terms of gameplay.

Now the rest depends on which games you like. Definitely play the following to have at least an idea of different genres and what people when they talk about:

NES:
—Contra (side-scrolling shooter/platformer)
—Double Dragon I/II (beat'em up)
—Megaman 2/3 (platformer with some elements of a side–scrolling shooter)
—Castlevania 1/3 (platformer)
—Gradius (side-scrolling space shooter/SHMUP)

SNES:
—Street Fighter II (2D fighting)
—Super Metroid (platformer/adventure)

Genesis:
—Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (platformer)

GameBoy Color:
—Pokemon (turn-based tactics/RPG)

Playstation:
—Tekken 3 (3D fighting)

PC:
—Doom, Quake (first-person shooters)
—Civilization (turn-based strategy)
—Diablo II (Rough-like RPG/hack'n'slash)

These are just from the top of my head. Why these exactly? Most of these particular games pretty much inspired whole genres/herds of clones. They are the originals which set the blueprints for years to come. You've played one of them—you've played the whole genre.

Or at the very least they have been immensely popular/sold gazillions of copies.
>>
>>3378437
>>3377892
Now AFTER you've played them and realized what you like/don't like, find other games in these genres.

To add to what I wrote:

First-Person Shooters (FPS): Half-Life, Counter-Strike

Racing simulators: Gran Turismo

Arcade Racing: Mario Kart 64

Adventure/Action-RPG: Zelda Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time (Americans have a huge boner for these games but they are not my cup of tea)

Real-time Strategies (RTS): Warcraft II/Starcraft

This covers a lot of genres. So as I said, play these, find which ones you liked and find more in these genres.
>>
Your parents did the right thing, don't go down this path.
>>
>>3378459
Wise words
>>
>>3378437
>>3378452
Thanks, Anon.

>>3378459
>>3378539
I don't want to get addicted but I feel like I missed out. It's particularly awkward not knowing about stuff when a lot of friends played at least the popular games as kids.
>>
>>3378459
Fuck off, OP's parents.
>>
>>3377892
so how's it going
did you play anything yet
>>
>>3377892
Stay away from RA and Retron 5 and CRTfags and you will be fine.
>>
>>3377892
OP, I'll just mention game devs and their eras, it's easier that way.

BLIZZARD - between World of warcraft and after diablo 1
Konami - NES to ps2
WESTWOOD STUDIOS - all before EA buyout
>>
>>3378452
>Racing simulators: Gran Turismo
bullshit. GT is simcade junk. If you want sims, look at anything Papyrus made.

>Arcade Racing: Mario Kart 64
also bullshit. The arcade racing genre is full of cool shit like wipEout, Screamer or Rollcage. No need to whip out a stale kart racer

>Real-time Strategies (RTS): Warcraft II/Starcraft
I am so not surprised you don't even think about Dune

>First-Person Shooters (FPS): Half-Life, Counter-Strike
Half-Life is a nu game cinematic experience bullshit, Counter-Strike is a tiny and lame subset of shooting. Doom and Serious Sam are much better options
>>
>>3377892
just one thing. Don't skip the PC. Especially the 90s, on DOS and Windows were a goldmine of gameplay creativity, because computers were not as restricted in their input mechanisms and CPU
>>
You're too old for games now. At most you can play Duck Hunt with your kids. Otherwise you should start to practice saying "Are ya winnin', son?"
>>
>>3383071
>You're too old for games now. At most you can play Duck Hunt with your kids. Otherwise you should start to practice saying "Are ya winnin', son?"

This level of b8...
>>>/b/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.