[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atari 2600 or SNES?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

So, should I buy an Atari 2600 or an SNES?
Explanations are highly appreciated.
I, personally think I should buy an Atari atm.
If I decide to buy an Atari 2600 I'd buy the edition as in the picture.
>>
>>>/b/
>>>/v/
>>>/trash
>>
>>2865306
why should i move to /b/ or /v/ with this?
Isnt retro gaming what this board is for?
>>
>>2865304
Atari 2600 for arcades 'sit down for 5 mins and play a game' although I played HERO on the 2600 for almost 8 hours the first time I played it

Snes for jrpgs, arcade ports, and a few weird shmups but also megaman X, PILOTWINGS and more.

Snes is more expensive than the Atari overall, upto you is the depth of what you'd like to play, I own both.
>>
>>2865304
What kind of games do you like? That's the most important thing when choosing a system.
>>
>>2865524
>SNES
>arcade ports
>shmups

Yeah, and the N64 is for JRPGs
>>
Both are fantastic consoles with great game libraries. But it really depends in what kind of games you want to play.

If you like RPGs and platformers, go for SNES. But be aware that SNES games are in average far more expensive than Atari. The average SNES game that isn't terrible will run you between 10 and 20 bucks, whereas you can find most of the best games in the 2600 for under 10, sometimes under 5. If you enjoy classic arcade games from before the days of the NES, Atari has tons of them. There are loads of awesome games for it that are cheap but you really need to be someone who likes those kind of games. You don't sit down and beat an Atari game like you would with SNES, you're usually chasing a high score.

I say both are worth owning but they're difficult to compare since they're so radically different. If you wanna play on a budget, go Atari. If you have deep pockets, go SNES.
>>
Atari games are very, very simple which can put off some people. If you're into that it's a great system though. Cheap too.

Most of the best SNES games are

a - expensive
b - JRPGs

If you have money to burn and you like RPGs it's a great system and you should totally go for it.
>>
>>2865541
>Both are fantastic consoles with great game libraries

Man, have you ever actually played a 2nd gen game?
>>
>>2865535
Ms pacman? Pacman? Final fight.. And reread the shmup part "a few weird shmups" emphasis on few
>>
>>2865551
You ever play hero for the 2600?
>>
Did OP do _any_ research prior to making this thread?
>>
>>2865304
Buy a 7800. They're backward compatible. Get yourself some Genesis controllers to go with it.
>>
>>2865551
Yes. I've played quite a few. If you would like a list of good 2600 games I could easily provide one.
>>
>>2865672
>inb4 90% of the list is just Activision games
>>
>>2865304
Atari
>fun quick simple games
>need some imagination to play
>huge library of games
>graphics are very basic
>inexpensive games compared to other systems
>old, could need spare parts, need repair, soldering,etc.
>part of gaming history to a larger degree

SNES
>fun games, more in depth
>nice, cute graphics
>large game library
>has save files and a pause button
>more in game options
>games and system are much more expensive

If you grew up with a 2600 or relate to it some other way it might be a fun investment for nostalgia sake. If you're looking for a more in depth relatable system the SNES is the choice.
>>
File: atari400.jpg (38KB, 627x236px) Image search: [Google]
atari400.jpg
38KB, 627x236px
>>2865304
Atari 2600 has a few good games, but by modern standards, anything older than NES is likely not to keep your interest when playing.

If you're interested in the 2600 but wish it were slightly more playable, might I suggest the Atari 400? It has all the early 1980s arcade ports that the 2600 had, and uses the same joystick, but has graphics on par with the Atari 5200. Not as common, though. Forward-compatible with the Atari XE Game System.
>>
>>2865675
Aight family here's an Activision-free list of good 2600 games

>stargate
>towering inferno
>mega force
>Frankenstein's monster
>worm war 1
>roc n rope
>gravitar
>moon patrol
>Bermuda triangle
>encounter at L-5
>Tron deadly discs
>infiltrate
>fathom
>Solaris
>no escape
>dragonfire
>tutankham
>star trek
>moonsweeper
>frogger 1 and 2
>solar fox
>cosmic ark
>Atlantis
>wizard of wor
>dark cavern
>entombed
>adventures of Tron
>space cavern
>encounter at L5
>montezumas revenge
>lock n chase
>turmoil
>demon attack
>krull
>super cobra
>warlords
>fantastic voyage
>yars revenge

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, there's definitely more. but to dismiss one of the 2600's biggest third party devs is pretty dumb.
>>
The Atari will be be the cheaper option. A heavy sixer will be more expensive than a super nintendo but the games are cheap as fuck. You can find most of the worth while games for $5-$10 or less. Hell I've probably only spent about a quarter of the money I've put into SNES games and have more than twice as many atari games.
>>
>>2865717
Just for good measure here's a seperate list of good Activision games for Atari

>robot tank
>dolphin
>pitfall 1 and 2
>megamania
>river raid 1 and 2
>commando
>enduro
>spider fighter
>frostbite
>keystone kapers
>freeway
>chopper command
>beamrider
>hero
>seaquest
>kaboom
>laser blast
>>
>>2865709
If I'd be interested in modern standards, I wouldnt even consider buying an Atari or SNES.

>>2865717
>>2865773
Thanks for the game list.

>>2865570
I did. Thats why I can say, that the atari is in favour atm.

>>2865709
I can't even find an Atari 400.
>>
>>2865304
I appreciate your subtle attempt at a bait thread OP. Bravo
>>
>>2865304
2600 is probably my favorite console to collect for after the NES. SNES was the one I actually grew up with but alas the fucking hipsters jacked up its costs.
>>
The video game crash happened for a reason and it wasn't because the overwhelming majority of VCS games were high quality or playable.
>>
>>2865927
Most of the games for the NES were not very good, that doesn't mean it was bad.

Any popular system will have a torrent of shit
>>
>>2865927
>implying the crash happened because none of the games on the 2600 are worth playing

Yeah nah
>>
ok, guys. I just baught myself the Atari now. Cost me like 200€ with 12 games. Pretty expensive, but it was completely renewed. Got an scart cable und a brand new power cable. Stereo sound etc. Pretty damn nice.
>>
>>2866028
Well, congratulations, have fun.
> Cost me like 200€ with 12 games.
How much would it cost without without games?
>>
>>2866029
150€ I know its pretty expensive, but as I said, completely renewed, but no changes on the case.
>>
>>2866038
Shit nigga it should be 70€ with games
>>
>>2866029
What games, mang.
>>
>>2865304
If you even have to ask, go with the Atari. To a sane person it's not even a question, SNES is the obvious choice. But you clearly have more nostalgia for the Atari.
>>
>>2866065
where are you from? i looked at ebay and some other market spaces. There were literally no working good looking atari with wood applacation, two joysticks und two paddles for less than 100€
so i decided to take a renewed one with guaranty for 150€
also game collections were expansiv af. some ppl expacted 100€ for like 15 games. So i bought 12 for 60€, which is 5€ per game. The games also are the most popular ones, such as space invaders, pac man or pac kong
>>
>>2866065
>>2866072
explanation to the question, where you're from. I was wondering if it might be cheaper outside germany
>>
>>2866070
>>what games

>Billard
>Galaxian
>Phantompanzer II (obviously translated title)
>Pac-Man
>Weltraumtunnel (obviously translated title)
>Strahlen der Teufelsvögel (obviously translated title)
>Wüstenschlacht (obviously translated title)
>Black Hole
>Space Invaders
>Pac Kong
>Robin Hood
>Vanguard
>>
>>2866076
Probably good explanation then, i'm in burgerland. I figure atari would be the same price over in europe too.
>>
>>2866115
>inb4 stupid burger
I figured atari would be the odd one out and be the same price because atari isn't too popular.
>>
>>2865304
I'm someone that grew up playing Atari 2600 in the 80's and the games are so half-ass even I have zero nostalgia for it. Yeah yeah it was the first bla bla bla (U-S-A!! etc)... but the NES was the first GOOD game console ever and the SNES improved on that formula even more so. The SNES is a million times better than anything Atari ever released. Anyone that disagrees with me I will fight you in real life! :D
>>
>>2866028

Wrong choice. Way too pricey for some half-bit shit.
>>
>>2866124
I would disagree. At the very least, the launch line up is pretty good. Indy 500, Combat, Surround, Video Olypmics are all really good, although you could argue that its mostly the forced co-op that was typical back then. Some of the later stuff like Pitfall and Adventure are also pretty fun, and some of the arcade ports are serviceable, if a bit garbage looking.
The bigger issue is mostly that if you aren't playing something co-op like Indy 500 with it's ridiculously high lap requirement, most games take a few minutes to feel like you've seen everything.
>>
>>2866149

Sorry but we're gonna have to fight IRL now.
>>
File: hilldog.jpg (6KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
hilldog.jpg
6KB, 201x251px
>>2866180
Bring it on. I'm Hillary Clinton IRL.
>>
>>2866189
DON'T DO IT ANON, SHE'S THE DARK LORD, SHE'LL EAT YOU ALIVE
>>
>>2866216

Agreed. I can't fight a reptilian. Her lizard-like reflexes would submit me in no time.
>>
>>2866125
snes with same amount of games etc would be around the same price, at least. in a compareable condition even more expensive
>>
>>2865304
you're hipster cred will do higher with a 5200 kid
>>
>>2866071
>To a sane person it's not even a question, SNES is the obvious choice
Only if the sane person is made of money, that is. SNES has been priced out of reach of many, while 2600 remains a great collector's system because games are dirt cheap and plentiful. 2600 games in shrinkwrap can be had for peanuts-try that with SNES.
>>
File: image_2197.jpg (79KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image_2197.jpg
79KB, 400x300px
>>2865524
>>
I remember all the ATARI joysticks breaking back in the 80's... I can only imagine how shitty they work now in 2015.
>>
>>2866714
They mostly work fine unless, that is, they happen to be 5200 joysticks.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.