[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate Gen 5 that much? There must be some legit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 8

File: unova.jpg (102KB, 769x498px) Image search: [Google]
unova.jpg
102KB, 769x498px
Why do people hate Gen 5 that much? There must be some legit flaws, but most of the time it seems senseless. What is it so bad about it? It feels like the last gen in which Game Freak really tried.

Hard mode: no trash or ice cream.
>>
>>32575320
It's the first generation not to be on a new console, which means it was limited in the new features it could bring. Hence the terrible pixel-heavy graphics. Also most people agree that the designs are generally significantly worse than previous gens, along with many straight copies (like bouffalant). And there are many more reasons: team preview, not being able to use gen 1-4 mons before the elite, disappointing post-game, underwhelming soundtrack, most 90's kids were not kids anymore when it came out, terrible anime, and so on
>>
>>32575357
>underwhelming soundtrack
>>
>>32575360
don't get me wrong it had some great tracks, but it did not have a general musical theme, like hoenn trumpets or sinnoh pianno. Also the fact that during the same battle you could hear 3 different themes was really off-putting
>>
>>32575357
>terrible pixel-heavy graphics
The graphics are better than Gen 4's, just like Gen 4's were better than Gen 3's and so on. They were ALL pixel-heavy. This is a bullshit argument.

>disappointing post-game
BW only

>underwhelming soundtrack
But the majority loves the soundtrack? The fuck?

>not being able to use gen 1-4 mons before the elite
Oh nooooo, whatever will the normies do without their Pikachus, Eevees and Arcanines?

>most people agree that the designs are generally significantly worse than previous gens
Yeah, because the dex was based on Gen 1's, which also has god-awful Pokémon. But genwunners will keep protecting their sweet little babies and throw mud at the Gen 5 Pokémon that are literally copies of the Gen 1 mons they're protecting.
>>
>>32575384

> Gen 5 Pokémon that are literally copies of the Gen 1 mons
> why do people hate gen 5

And about that pixel thing, I can't put words on it because my english isn't that good, but you know damn well what I am talking about. This engine looks worse than gen 4's.

"damn genwunners" has always been the one and only argument of unovabortions.

(and it makes no sense given that many genwunners like gen 6 / gen 7)
>>
File: IMG_6172.png (47KB, 2400x259px)
IMG_6172.png
47KB, 2400x259px
>>32575357
> Also most people agree that the designs are generally significantly worse than previous gens
>>
>>32575357

Oh no, what will I do without the usual pokedex filler bat or boulder with arms
>>
>>32575395
>(and it makes no sense given that many genwunners like gen 6 / gen 7)

Because they're filled to the brim with Kanto pandering. Duh.
>>
>>32575458
Use the copypaste filler bat mon and bolder with arms. The problem with gens 5 dex is that alot of it is full of copypastes of old mons or is padded out with unnecessary middle evolutions. People wouldn't mind so much if there were more original mons like Hyrdreigon and Volcarona, but a good chunk of Unova's dex rips off previous ones.
>>
>>32575357
>first generation not to be on a new console
Gen 2 would like a word with (you)
>>
>>32575360
This.

Gen V has its problems, but music ain't one of 'em.
>>
>>32575395
>genwunners
>liking or even acknowledging any game after Yellow
Pick one. That's the literal definition of genwunner, someone who only likes genwun.
>>
>>32575320
>Why do people hate Gen 5 that much?
For the same reason people here hate Gen VI so much: shit taste.
>>
>>32575532
Those people don't play the games anymore and are certainly not on vp. Playing a game you dislike for 15 years is too autistic even for vp
>>
>>32575559
Yeah there are no genwunners on /vp/. Plenty of them in plebbook or similar places.
>>
>>32575522
Game Boy and Game Boy Color. There is a difference.
>>
>>32575485
Bullshit, you have plenty of youtubers who grew up with gen 1-2 and still use the new mons, same goes for many of my friends. Even if they are many atrocious designs in gen 6 and gen 7, at least they tried to create some actual new designs (and it worked to an extent) not pure plagiarism.
>>
>>32575572
Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi. There is a difference.
>>
>>32575320
It did almost nothing to improve the formula except unfuck the mistakes of gen 4. While most of the blame can be laid at the feet of gen 4 for being objectively awful, and gen 5 should be commended for running that back to "pretty good," nothing about the gen 5 games particularly stands out, so it's easy to shit on.
>>
For people to complain about Garbadour because it's trash, grimer and muk are sewage sludge. They're literally shit water.Some of the designs aren't great in gen 5, but there are designs in every gen that aren't the greatest. Gen 5 did also have some nice designs, some of my favourite pokemon are in it.

I think if you compare each gen:

Gen 1 was the original 151 - the designs, the region, music, gym leaders, the enemy gang we're all really well done.

Gen 2 introduced new pokemon, the gym leaders we're good, the music was good and it introduced alot of new features. Gen 2 was more like an expansion of gen 1, going back to kanto and fighting the gym leaders from gen 1. Gen 2 was generally hype. And you got to fight a 'broken' team rocket who weren't the same gang they were before after giovanni leaving. It added on alot to gen 1 which made it overall a really good gen.

Gen 3 introduced all new pokemon, you were able to catch new pokemon, and gen 3 brought in a lot of really good designs. It had a really good soundtrack, the conflict between team aqua/team magma made for a neat story.

Gen 4 had good designs, but they had bad ones too. The soundtrack, team galactic made it a really good gen. gen 4 was really polished and was the first game on the NDS.

Gen 5 came out and there wasnt really anything to make it stand out. I remember when it came out and I honestly had no idea that there was even a new pokemon game out. I bought B/W and thought it was alright, it just didn't have anything special to really make it stand out. while it does have some really good designs alot of them were just average. B2/W2 started introducing older pokemon, and it made it alot better and was a much bigger improvement of B/W.

Gen 6/7 followed B2/W2 and implemented older gen pokemon with the newer gen pokemon which made them overall enjoyable games.

however i genuinely enjoyed all the games in the series.
>>
>>32575500
>padded out with unnecessary middle evolutions
Hilarious in hindsight though, since now people complain about too many single-stage or two-stage mons.
>>
>>32575582
This whole plagiarised dex is overblown. Every gen takes a few archetypes from gen 1. The only reason gen 5's stands out is because they dared to replace Zubat, Geodude and Machop.
>>
>>32575640
That, and make the regional dex only containing the new Pokemon, locking the other regional Pokemon to post-game.

Gen 5 was the last time GF actually put in any effort into a main series game. After the backlash, they've practically given up and just pump out mediocrity.
>>
>>32575649
Looking back at gen 5 I'm impressed with how well thought out some routes were.

I mean all have a straightforward path that leads to the next area, it's convenient but for many that loved Hoenn it is boring, however there is almost always more than meets the eye.

Almost all of gen5 routes have optional paths that can be revisited with HM usage, I mean they manage to be a bit more than just convenient walk paths.

Also as of the inclusion of dark grass and how rustling grass worked we got some decent layout for training Pokémon.

Also all routes had good distribution, most even had a game breaker mon as an inclusion to their areas or a secret bonus mon to catch there, B2W2 went overboard with Magnemite, Arcanine and Lucario being available so fucking early.
>>
>>32575592
>all those features that only worked properly/at all on DSi

Gen V remains my favorite game(s), but god damn did it have some gimmicky internet bullshit.
>>
>>32575320
It has the best writing of the main series.
And some people miss the point of having a new generation.
Those are the two main reasons I always see.

>>32575357
>most people agree that the designs are generally significantly worse than previous gens
so shit taste

>>32575395
>genwunners
>liking anything after Gen 2
>>
>>32575532
Some allow up to gen 2.

>>32575566
/vp/ has plenty of them and even worse, people white knghting them.
>>
>>32575774
Black and white had good writing ? I'm guessing you've never read a book nor seen a movie because literally any story is less retarted than gen 5's.
>>
Two reasons.

First: the HORRIBLE zoomed in backsprites and generally the camera angles that make places like that Skyarrow bridge look horrible. Compared to gen4 it just looks terrible, but not because of the tile set (which was better than dpp), but because of the camera angles at some places.

Second: The region itself. I dont know if its just me, but the just arent any interesting places in this region compared to the previous gens.

I really hate finding a cave with just some random trainers and items. I want lore, puzzles, unique Pokemon and a legendary at the end of a cave.

And the fact that most of the Region is a circle, the subway isnt used to travel to every city and that the water and northern part of the Region is so underdeveloped really bothered me.
BW2 saved it a bit, but not enough to give me that feeling of adventure and exploring myths and shit.
>>
Mostly because it's different. It did a lot of admittedly stupid and questionable things but at least it tried something new instead of what XY did (now the blandest of the main series games).
The Pokemon style was different. I can see why people don't like the dex, but I refuse to believe of 155 Pokemon, everyone doesn't like at least 10 of them. This was the largest new dex to date and the last time we'll ever get that dex size again, and yeah I agree there's a lot of filler Pokemon, but I still enjoy them. Lots of unique designs that obviously not everyone will like, but just a higher concentration of them. Most dexes play it safe and only introduce a few ""questionable" Pokemon, but a lot of the gen 5 dex is wacky. They didn't hold back, and while I do dislike a lot of the Pokemon from this dex, I love a whole lot more.
People bitched about only using gen 5 Pokemon for BW1, but that's something I loved about the games. It was like really stepping into a new region. There's always SOMETHING to use around, so multiple playthroughs are a lot of fun. You don't like a Pokemon or how it's playing? Just replace it with the countless others.
Obviously this leads to the insane evolution levels of later game Pokemon, which makes it a chore to evolve these Pokemon in later games. There's also the insane amount of legendaries, more than any other generation I think? That's a valid complaint. Gen 5 also introduced shiny locking didn't it? And I hate that.
I liked BW1's story. They didn't think it through entirely, and it had a weak lesson, but it's the first MAIN series Pokemon game that really got me engaged. It has its flaws, clearly they didn't want to make it too complex for the kids which is a shame.
I understand the hate for the starters, even though Servine is one of my favorites. Fire/fighting a third time in a row was unfortunate, and stupid. I like Samurott but it could have been better.
>>
>>32575845
I don't get it, you're like one of the only people I've met on this website with a well-thought post (even though I don't agree with every thing) yet you still say you liked BW's story. I don't see what "got you engaged", Ghetis is obviously evil, and N's logic doesn't make any sense. Oh and the other characters are nonexistent. I am genuinely curious about what you liked in this story, especially given that you acknowledge its glaring flaws.
>>
>>32575845
DP introduced more legendaries.

DP had:
Azelf Uxie Mesprit Dialga/Palkia Giratina Heatran Cresselia, then Regigigas if you transfer the old Regis, 4 Event Pokemon and Phione.

BW only had
Cobalion Virizion Terrakion Reshiram/Zekrom Kyurem, then a version exclusive genie, the third genie if you trade over the other and 4 event legendaries again, from which only one is catchable ingame.
>>
>>32575881

My standards are just low for main series game plots I think. I like it, but I fully acknowledge that if a PMD game or any nonpokemon game tried the exact same story I would hate it. It's definitely not a good story, but what I think I like about it is, at the time, it was new for me.
Because of that, if someone says "BW's story sucked and was heavyhanded/stupid/etc" I can completely understand. Because it's not a GOOD story, it just had potential. And potential is what I think really drew me to it and got me engaged, even if the execution wasn't all that great.
>>
>>32575637
I don't mind the actual length of the gen V mons' lines, but the level they evolved at were beyond retarded.
>>
>>32575913
Gen V had 13 legendaries and gen IV had 13 legendaries, or 14 with Phione.
Anyway, both generations introduced way too many legendaries.
>>
>>32575364
I disagree, I actually really liked the fact that the music could actually change during battle, like getting a Gym Leader down to their best Pokemon. I really wish that idea was kept, it actually made the battles feel more dynamic.
>>
>>32575941
I get it, thanks for answering

>>32576024

I 100% agree with you. The problem was that 30 seconds in the music would change to the "not much hp left" music, which would ruin the rythm.
>>
>>32575320
The region was super linear. That's my main gripe with it. I always like a bit of backtracking, but you had no reason to come back to a city after you'd been there once in Unova.

BW2 was a lot better for that.
>>
>>32576079
The low HP music was pretty bad though, yeah. It would be so cool if all the battle music was more dynamic with extra instruments kicking in, like if you're at low health, or the trainer had one Pokemon left, or if YOU had one Pokemon left, etc. Instead of just changing songs. I'm actually surprised Pokemon doesn't have something like this.
>>
>>32575776
That's not a genwunner tho that's just an older nostalgiafag
>>
>>32575977

>but the level they evolved at were beyond retarded.

and the worst part is it applies to 2 stage mons too
>>
>>32575320
It's the most satisfying game for me.
>>
>>32576107
PLOT TWIST: Every Pokémon Game is like that, only that it's more obvious with Pokémon BW
>>
>>32575320
>linear as all hell
>too many cutscenes
>graphics were a definite downgrade from gen 4 and were eye rape tier
>UI felt like it was from an edgy rom hack
>forced you to use the shitty new 'mons(not just trash and ice cream) and didn't allow you to use your old bros
>most character designs were garbage
>as were their personalities
>began the trend of retardedly easy, dopey rivals
>tried copying gen 1 and failed terribly
>Hilbert is literally just a red recolor
Did I miss anything?
>>
>>32576278
No. Most of the other games have you revisit other parts of the region at later points. In BW Unova every area aside from Castelia was a one-stop location.
>>
>>32575320

>Forced multiculturalism.
>Retarded rivals.
>Retarded plot, seriously I preffer ecoterrorism like the hoenn teams
>E4 just use 4 pokemon
>No pokemon from other gens but a lot of references to them like the Charizard bridge and that pika in the park, if they wanted do a game w/o pokemon of other gens they shouldnt do that.
>No pokemon from other gens but a lot of Copy/pasted concepts, some of them even worst than originals.
>Some mons need reach a too high level to evolve, even 2 staged mons
>Lineal as fuck
>A lot of potential wasted, the center of the region and the east side could have something better than just towns and bridges w/o nothing to give, ok, B2W2 did it better still
>Retarded powercreep
>Ashnimu became completly retarded, worst season ever.
There are good points in 5 gen like soundtrack but since that gen I dont see the franchise as before.
>>
File: IMG_0154.jpg (45KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0154.jpg
45KB, 250x272px
>>32576291
>fororced you to use the shitty new 'mons(not just trash and ice cream) and didn't allow you to use your old bros
>>
>>32575810
>Black and white had good writing ? I'm guessing you've never read a book nor seen a movie because literally any story is less retarted than gen 5's.

He said best writing of the pokemon main series games, he didn't mention any books or films.
>>
>>32575320

Did you mean BW or gen 5 as a whole? I always see people claiming that B2W2 are their favorite games in the entire franchise and those are gen 5.
>>
>>32575320
For starters most the characters were extremely unlikeable, although this applies to mostly BW.

The soundtrack obnoxious and lacked unity in my head, one minute it was super quiete and the next it was blaring at me. That would be okay if any of it sounded good.

Most of the Pokémon had bad designs IMO. Not just trubbish or vaniluxe, I'm talking the whole batch. In fact the only one I seemed to like coming out of it was the reuniclus line.

The story of the first games were great but they ruined it in the sequels. Ideals vs truths was a great theme but it becomes weaker when it turns out that one side of the argument was being controlled by an antagonist who was arguably on the other side of the spectrum.

Shitty rivals in both games.

Shitty professor.

Horrible 3D. I know it was basically a test run for the 2d on a 3D playing field but god it was atrocious to look at. It seemed like all the settings in the game were taken from a completely different game.

Elite four were push overs and I didn't care much for The progression of iris to champion.

(Team platinum had the worst design ever also)
>>
>>32575500
This is part of my issue with gen 5 but at least the original designs look fantastic.
>>
>>32576367
BW doesn't have any better writing than the previous generations. It is just a whole lot more in your face about it and railroady.
Also in terms of core games with prominent story gen V's story is hardly any better than VII's. Not that any core game has a good story.
>>
>>32575320
I'm only going to be talking about BW. BW2 fixes most of these problems and I like them. I only dislike BW.

>staleness
Mechanically, it brought nothing new to change the gameplay up a bit. You had a new region and new Pokemon. Otherwise, there were no features that made it stand out. There was literally nothing to play for, other than the new region.

>too much shit dialogue
Dialogue is fine, I like when games have a story, no matter how text heavy they get.
But when half of it is just either retarded bullshit that doesn't make any sense, or just repeating the same fucking thing over and over again, and the other half is uninteresting shit that I cannot care about because I already hate the characters, it gets just annoying.

>only Unova Pokemon
I get what they were going for. They wanted this region to be far away from others, and be different. But it's a shit idea to make it different. XY, for example, gives me all of Kalos Pokemon, and a lot of Pokemon from before. BW gives only Unova Pokemon. That's bad.

I know some will defend this, but they're retarded. You should never be forced to use certain Pokemon. If someone wants an Eevee, let them use an Eevee. If someone wants a Gyarados, let them use a Gyarados. Forcing someone to use Pokemon he doesn't want to isn't going to make him happy.

>mostly shit Pokemon
Self explanatory. Too many fillermons, too many shit looking Pokemon. There are some God tier designs here, but the vast majority of them is shit. Going for quantity cost Unova quality.

>shit story
Too much can be said on this. It was the most dialogue heavy Pokemon game at the time and it had the worst story. It literally made no sense. As another anon described it, it wasn't just full of holes, it was fucking hole in the franchise.
The characters, except Alder and Bianca, were equally shit.

>shit postgame
Literally the worst tower clone yet. The Sage finding quest was also fucking boring.

There's more I dislike but hit the character limit.
>>
File: IMG_0875.png (1015KB, 750x1334px)
IMG_0875.png
1015KB, 750x1334px
>>32576390
>team platinum

Team plasma*
>>
>>32576390
>Elite four were push overs and I didn't care much for The progression of iris to champion.

True for BW, but BW2 had the "hardest" elite 4 and "hardest" champion of all games simply because challenge mode exists in that game.
>>
>>32576403
>I know some will defend this, but they're retarded. You should never be forced to use certain Pokemon. If someone wants an Eevee, let them use an Eevee. If someone wants a Gyarados, let them use a Gyarados. Forcing someone to use Pokemon he doesn't want to isn't going to make him happy.

I don't want to defend "only unova mons in BW", but you act like the other games don't lock you out of 75% of the pokedex too. Someone who wants to use Gardevoir can't do it in SM unless someone trades him one and the same could be done in BW.
>>
>>32576438
can you trade old mons B4 E4?
>>
>>32575810
If you think "best in the main series" means "good when compared with products that not only are part of the pokemon franchise but also not focused on kids" you havent read much books either.

>>32576133
It's the same thing. Its really not that important to differentiate the people who dont actually like pokemon and use it to be trendy between the ones that say "after Gen 1" or "after Gen 2". It's the same kind of person and the same kind of problem.
>>
>>32575320
The only real bad thing about the Gen 5 mon is the high evolution levels for most of them, Which was fine in their Gen but out of place elsewhere.

The plot is actually pretty good and they nailed the multiple rivals dynamic and the villain fights. Although N should have consistly kept the Zorark like

The only really weak area is that they have Plasma grunts be too evil immediately and they reveal that Ghetis himself is evil too early (Dreamyard)
>>
File: IMG_0220.jpg (21KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0220.jpg
21KB, 250x238px
>>32576403
>I get what they were going for. They wanted this region to be far away from others, and be different. But it's a shit idea to make it different. XY, for example, gives me all of Kalos Pokemon, and a lot of Pokemon from before. BW gives only Unova Pokemon. That's bad.

There's nothing with it being different. Having the game being designed like the previous ones would have been absolutely boring, and XY is proof that. There's nothing memorable about Kalos, especially since it borrows so much from Gen. 1.

>I know some will defend this, but they're retarded. You should never be forced to use certain Pokemon. If someone wants an Eevee, let them use an Eevee. If someone wants a Gyarados, let them use a Gyarados. Forcing someone to use Pokemon he doesn't want to isn't going to make him happy.

Oh, please. Pushing people out of their comfort zone ONE TIME won't kill them. And you can get your "precious bros" back after you beat the game. What's really retarded is overreacting over a temporary change in gameplay.

>Self explanatory. Too many fillermons, too many shit looking Pokemon. There are some God tier designs here, but the vast majority of them is shit. Going for quantity cost Unova quality.

Yeah, no. This topic is purely subjective. And quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>32576452
There's already people who are the same with "after gen 3" or "after gen 4". Pokemon is old now bruh.
>>
>>32576568
>falling for falseflaggers
also, try interacting with normies more often. It stops at Gen 2, it never mode on and never will.
>>
>>32576639
moved on*
>>
>>32576450
I think so, you just don't get their pokedex entries until you get the national dex.
>>
>>32576531
>There's nothing with it being different.
Yes, being different is good. It makes things fun. I criticized BW for being too "same". Bringing nothing mechanically different to change the gameplay.
But being different isn't always a nice thing. Especially when you're getting LESS by being different.

>Pushing people out of their comfort zone ONE TIME won't kill them.
And people can dislike that one time. Like they did. Like I did. It didn't kill me. That doesn't mean I liked. You can dislike something, even if it only happens once.

>And you can get your "precious bros" back after you beat the game
Wow, I can use what I want to after it fucking ends. Great shit.

>Yeah, no. This topic is purely subjective
And the majority, including myself, subjectively decided that they were shit. That's why they got so much shit.
>>
>>32576696
>And the majority

[citation needed]
>>
I actually think Gen 5 was exceptional and Gen 6 felt like a step back on many levels to me. This is mostly due to BW2 though. Gen 5 had tons of small things I really enjoyed, like each gym having a unique theme and the theme that starts playing when you reach a gym leaders last pokemon. I was disappointed that Gen 6 moved back to a single theme for all gyms.

I also loved the pokemon world tournament and even the Battle Subway was cool, because I think it didn't require the national dex and it set your pokemon to 50 even if they're below that level, meaning you could start getting BP early and buy things like a Life Orb or a Choice item before postgame.

And then there was pokestar studios. I loved that shit.
>>
>>32576696
>Wow, I can use what I want to after it fucking ends. Great shit.

This is not really valid criticism when literally every single pokemon game does this with different mons. There's always version exclusives and a ton of mons that aren't available in either version unless you trade from a differerent game or even generation.
>>
>>32576743
This. XY and S/M feel like such a chore to play. BW2 are the most complex games they have made in terms of features and cool shit.
>>
>>32576696
>Wow, I can use what I want to after it fucking ends. Great shit.
Well, that's kind of true for all games.
What makes it especially bad is that the new Pokemon that you get in return. I personally don't care about getting an Alakazam. But in return, I got a fetus in a green ball of liquid shit. Not something I was ecstatic about. That's where they fucked up. They removed good Pokemon, replaced with shit.
>>
>>32576639
There aren't normies in my peer group that are up to gen 2, that's only younger folks. Even younger I see kids who only like up to gens 3 and 4 (and shit on the originals) but as I'm not hip with those I dunno if they're normies or if they're already nerds.
>>
>>32575320
Let's turn the question around. Why should I NOT hate BW? Even XY has reasons to not be hated. It gives us 3D, Customization, Amie, Mega Evolution and so much great shit. In comparison, BW has NOTHING of value to offer.

Not that many people hate BW2. It's BW that gets the most hate. Because there's nothing that stands out about it. It's mediocre as fuck. I have no reason NOT to hate BW.
>>
>>32576927
Hating something takes energy, that's a good enough reason to not hate anything for no reason
>>
>>32575357
>It's the first generation not to be on a new console, which means it was limited in the new features it could bring.
Um. D/P/PT was developed early on. Many many new discoveries were found out for the system and was applied to B/W. Same console doesn't matter does Gen 4 and 5 really look the same to you?
> Also most people agree that the designs are generally significantly worse than previous gens, along with many straight copies (like bouffalant).
It was a subtle reboot to Pokemon set in a region based on America and not Japan this time so of course this would be the case.
That was on purpose and for good reasons like what I said already.
>underwhelming soundtrack, team preview, most 90's kids were not kids anymore when it came out, terrible anime
subjective taste and not full blown reasons.
>>
>>32576934
It doesn't. It isn't a physical act, and it doesn't mentally take any more energy than liking something. And it's not for "no reason". I stated my reasoning. It was mediocre and had nothing of value to offer.

And you're talking as if spending energy is a bad thing. Life is literally just a continuous cycle of spending and replenishing energy. That's life itself. If you don't want to spend energy, die.
>>
>>32576956
>hating doesn't spend emotional energy
I think the word you're looking for is apathy. And yes, wasting your emotional energy on hating something for no reason is a bad thing. And that is what you said. You hate it because you have no reason NOT to. You called it mediocre. There is a synonym for that word. It's average.
>>
>>32576934
That's the only reason you can give? Hating isn't nice? Pathetic.
And hate is always justified. Hate brings change. Without hate, nothing would change. Most thing people hated about BW, they were changed in the very next game. There is always a reason to hate.
>>
>>32577277
>Hate brings change. Without hate, nothing would change.

While you're right that his reason is pathetic. As someone working in science, your level of ignorance makes me angry.
>>
I almost quit Pokemon after playing Black and White. It was extremely disappointing. Felt like the series itself was moving in a terrible direction. Uninnovative circular region, peddling that stupid dream world shit, nd the Pokemon designs were terrible. A pidgeon? Really? And it doesn't turn into anything cool? It turns into a Pheasant? A lot of the Gen 5 Mon pissed me off at the time, but looking back I think a lot of them are interesting designs they just weren't utilized properly in the game they came out in.
None of that was the worst part though. Black and White was boring compared to Gen IV. Every Pokemon just lept into your lap on first sighting, and even cannoically "rare" pokemon like audino Popped up after 5 minutes of grinding. The difficulty curve didn't account for the new EXP Share, TM's were suddenly always reusable (good change, but it removes a certain amount of difficulty in an already WAY too easy game). I played through the storyline and expected it to give me some amazing endgame. You know, the crappy, Super easy Storyline for newbies, with an optional more difficult Post game. NOPE! Fuck you, lifelong Pokefan! That was it! The end! Nothing to do but hunt the 80 "legendaries" this clusterfuck of a Gen has.

Put me off playing Pokemon until X and Y came out. Still haven't tried Black and White 2, though I know I should, I heard they fixed a lot of the problems from the first ones.
>>
>>32576944
>It was a subtle reboot to Pokemon set in a region based on America

Are you saying America doesn't have cool animals? The Pacific Northwest alone has off the top of my head, Peregrine Falcons, Golden Eagles, Red tailed Hawks, Ospreys, Black Bears, Grizzlys, Badgers, Skunks, Bison, Moose, Wolves, Salmon, Dolphins, Orcas Bats, Owls, Spiders, Wolverines, Snakes.

But they went with Cotton Candy.
>>
It's my favorite gen desu
started with hoenn
I absolutely loved the lack of old 'mons
>>
>>32576704
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/best-pokemon-gen-poll.454236806/

https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=813907

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/poll_vote_for_your_favourite_main_series_pokemon_games_-_20th_anniversary_edition

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/g0sTk5z/which-pokemon-gen-is-best-and-worst

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=50e3307ae4b0c066f1c55a55

Gen IV appears to get a lot of hate, too, but let's not pretend.
>>
I love Gen 5, both sets of games. Gen 4 always felt slow and fairly dull to me, like it was merely going through the motions. Gen 5, while the story wasn't amazing, did at least give me characters I was slightly more invested in, and the game's general pace with the menus and more dynamic battles and visuals was such a breath of fresh air. The less focus on old Pokemon was great too, even despite a lot of similar mons.

Gen 4 also felt tedious. It was a slog, HM heavy, bland, really bad for grinding (mainly HGSS I guess), and the whole game was tedium. Like the stupid Great Marsh daily shit just to get some of Gen 4's actually cool Pokemon. Or the Honey trees, where you have to wait 6 hours regardless of what you do. That's not fun. While people complain about Gen 5 being too easy, I'd prefer something too easy than something too tedious.

Also I loved Unova and how full of life it was. I like all the different bridges, and the forests, and the variety of towns. It really was ambitious.

Gen 5 still sticks out compared to every other Pokemon generation, but I love it. It's not perfect but god damn did it do a hell of a lot to keep me interested. While BW2 are definitely the better games in every aspect but story, BW1 really had a certain feel, probably the absolute exclusion of old mons and the uncertain stakes without being overblown with stupid gods of space and time like in DPPt.
>>
>>32577656

Also Gen 5 is the biggest "acquired taste" of all the Gens compared to the rest. You either love it or hate it.
>>
>>32575320
>no trash or ice cream
but those are huge flaws
>>
>>32575500
This as well as some mons not evolving until it's in the 40-50 level range
>>
GEN 5 REMAKES WHEN??? It's been like 7 years!
>>
>>32575364
>>32576024
Holy shit, am I reading a real discussion where both opinions are valued??
>>
>>32577496
>Still haven't tried Black and White 2, though I know I should, I heard they fixed a lot of the problems from the first ones.
For the love of god, you NEED to try it. It did so much more than fix all of BW's problems, it has possibly the most postgame content of any mainline game bar Emerald, Platinum and HGSS.
>>
>>32577628
BTFO
>>32576704
>>
>>32577701
I know, and I have physical copies, I just... haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>32576944
>does Gen 4 and 5 really look the same to you?
yes, at least with gen 7 the overwolrd change a lot, while gen 5 is more or less gen 4 overworld with also rehashed moving battle sprites
>>
>>32575357
Thanks for condensing all the bullshit arguments against the best gen into one post.
And the gen that introduced shit like bug knight and electro spider can't possibly have the worst designs.
>>
Someone thought it would be a good idea to replace the Pokétch with the C-Gear and wasn't swiftly executed.
>>
>>32576927
OST and being able to challenge the previous Gym Leaders and Champions via PWT.
>>
File: 1494696914220.gif (1018KB, 193x211px) Image search: [Google]
1494696914220.gif
1018KB, 193x211px
>>32577712
Then get around to it.
>>
>>32577737
>gen 5 is more or less gen 4 overworld
niBBa what the fuck are you saying
>>
>>32577828
>OST
All Pokemon games, and I mean ALL of them, have great OST. BW's wasn't anything special in this regard.

>PWT
>BW
>>
im so sick of people talking about how bad Gen V was and it's pokemon designs like have u guys even seen the new ones come on
>>32575357
"straight copies"? let's talk about alola forms. and mega evolution.

Gen V was the last charming and unique pokemon, after the backlash it got they realized that you retards don't like anything remotely creative so they just made the next two gens as basic and bland as possible, since you'll buy anything with the pokemon name attached to it, whether it's total garbage or not
>>
File: IMG_0149.png (70KB, 365x434px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0149.png
70KB, 365x434px
>>32577628
>>32577706
>asked for citation where the "majority" agreed that the Gen. 5 Pokemon were bad
>get a bunch of little polls asking what's the best generation in general
>LMAO BTFO XD
>>
>>32577828
>being able to challenge the previous Gym Leaders and Champions via PWT
I never understood why would anyone ever care about this.

I like seeing older characters return, but only when they return as characters. For example, in GSE/HGSS, you go to Kanto and see the previous Gym Leaders. They've grown up and changed, they have their unique role of being a Gym Leader and you can meet them outside their Gyms, to see another side of them. That's nice.
But in PWT, they're none of that. They're just random trainers. Nothing distinguishes them from any other nameless trainer. They fight you, say something, and they're done. That's boring.

I liked PWT, because I liked the gameplay mods, and I liked how it was a tournament. I also liked how each tournament lasted 3 battles. So you got to change your Pokemon every 3 battles, rather than the usual 6-8 win streak from Battle Facilities. But out of all of these things, the character meant nothing to me. And I fail to understand how they could mean anything to anyone, when they're LITERALLY the same as any generic trainer.
>>
>>32577906
Wait, so we're only talking about the first one? Shit, I'll see myself out.

All of the OST are great with the exception of X/Y.
>>
>>32576927
Dark grass, type gems, scaling exp, story, hidden abilities, moving sprites, reuseable TMs.
>>
>>32577665
Acquired taste is a bad term to use. That implies that most people dislike it if they're unfamiliar with it, but that you can grow to like it if you play it a lot. Which isn't the case.

Just call gen V what it is; polarizing.
>>
>>32577867
the truth, are you blind?, is the gen that change the less
>>
>>32578073
>Dark grass
I don't really see the point in it. Different patches has always had the possibility of housing different pokémon even on the same route, and wild double battles are a drag if you want to catch anything. Zero impact on how the game has evolved further.
Shaking patches and such were good though, since they made the world feel livelier.
>type gems
Incredibly minor thing. Virtually play zero role in the single player experience since they're consumed if activated. As far as using them in shit like the Subway and such they're actually pretty shit in singles. So that leaves them as a niche that's mainly seen used in double battles in Subway/PWT. Also hasn't changed the franchise in any way and is today almost entirely replaced by Z-moves.
>scaling exp
I found it worse than in previous generations. You never had to grind to get through any of the games, the exp share makes sure you're never underleveled at all. The one time you do need to grind in previous games is if you want you're pokémon to reach lv100 or something like that, and in such cases the scaling is absolute dogshit.
>story
Really fucking hit or miss. Too much cutscenes and too linear for a lot of people. The story should have been groundbreaking if they sacrificed so much of the freedom for it, but that isn't the case. Also the start of the end in terms of story telling in pokémon games, SM takes BW's storytelling up to 11 and see how dead this place is.
>hidden abilities
Giving pokémon a third ability was a great idea. And actually one that has affected the current games in a meaningful way. But they were horribly implemented in gen V, tons of them being unlocked gradually though the DW, which you can't even access anymore.
>moving sprites
They looked like shit, come the fuck on.
>reuseable TMs
Very good for making multiplayer more accessible. Makes team building for singleplayer braindead. You never have to think about using TMs and level up moves feels rather unsatisfying.
>>
>>32577867
>niBBa
>>>/tv/itter
>>
>>32577923
Except those are completely different things. Gen 5's dex was a carbon copy of gen 1 most of the time, while trying to pass them off as new Pokemon. Alola formes and megas are still the older Pokemon and the game let's you know that multiple times.
>>
>>32578292
Oh yes, carbon copy. I remember how about 1/5th of BW's dex is Poison and another 1/5th is Water... Oh wait.
>>
>>32578174
>Makes team building for singleplayer braindead
not really, BW2 found an adequate solution for it in the form of the challenge mode

sure you have infinite TM's, but it's still fair when your opponent is using optimized movesets as well. The ol' Flamethrower, Fireblast, Quick Attack, Strength moveset aint' gonna cut it when your opponent is tossing flying gem acrobatics at your face.

The only issue with it is that challenge mode never became a permanent addition to the series, as infinite tm's actually make the singleplayer more interesting if you actually HAVE to use them.
>>
>>32575500
>>32575616

Very much this.

>>32575458
>>32575384
>>32576944

And that's actually rather the point. Gen V was meant to be a sort of soft reboot which was in and of itself simultaneously a selling point and a massive disappointment depending on whom you ask. I recall there being a "what's the appeal of gen I" thread awhile back and when it came down to it, one of the big factors for the nostalgia goggles is the experience. If you were around for the original run of Red and Blue, there's just nothing that catches that experience quite the same way. Gen V was, I think, meant to provide that experience to a new generation of players who missed the Red/Blue train by a long shot (some of them might not even have been *alive* when Red and Blue first popped up Stateside). And that's all well and good if you started in one of the later gens and don't have quite that same attachment to the earlier mons. But keep in mind that a significant number of players *did* start in Gens I and II. I agree with the sentiment that a lot of the original designs that Gen V introduced they did just fine with, and if a larger portion of the Dex had been composed of such mons then it would have gotten a much more positive reception from the older crowd as well. But as it stands, being forced to play through the game with what feel like cheap imitations of Pokemon you already liked was just immensely unsatisfying.

TL:DR: To older players a lot of the mons in Gen V felt like knockoffs but I don't really think Gen V was so much "for" those players as it was a chance to give newer players an opportunity for the "Gen 1 experience"
>>
>>32578480
>make challenge mode
>have to beat the game to unlock it
GF went full retard with it
>>
>>32575320
It's good, but
>c-gear online dream world entralink bullshit
At least they got it mostly right in the next gen
>>
>>32577981
>Being this technical about why most effective enjoyed the PWT
Pokemon may be in a decline in terms of sing player enjoyment but half of that decline has got to come from how cynical and straight faced the fanbase is acting nowadays.
>>
>>32578073
Anon, listing every minor change isn't going to help much. Every Generation makes those.
And gems, grass and hidden abilities aren't even "minor" changes. They're virtually nothing.
And the story was a huge negative. It is literally the worst type of story I can imagine, and tied with DPPt's story as being the worst among Pokemon stories. Yes, the non-existent stories of Kanto and Johto were better. At least they weren't so full of plot holes. If you think of BW's story as anything but a huge flaw, you lack a brain.
>>
Aren't most people looking back on Gen 5(and 4 for that matter) and are realizing they weren't as bad as they thought they were? So far the 3ds era has been pretty lackluster.
>>
>>32575320

because the games feels like they were part of different universe, the music is more serious, mature ect. the world is more "american" the sprites looks more "serious" gen v was amazing and along with HGSS best gen in the franchise
>>
No old gen pokemon made it feel like an non pokemon game to some and incredibly refreshing for others
>>
File: 1457602364367.png (273KB, 809x839px)
1457602364367.png
273KB, 809x839px
This thread just reminded me that we're about due for some Gen 5 remakes. I can't wait!
>>
>>32578174
Actually, dark grass was GF's first foray into the idea of the player being able to battle more than one wild Pokemon at once.
Which we saw with the following gens, the introduction of hordes in Gen 6, and SOS battles in Gen 7.
>>
>>32579159
Um, HAs did have a major impact because it provided new options for many Pokemon that were deemed otherwise useless in a competitive sense.

For example, Ninetales finally gained relevancy in the meta with Drought being its HA. Even if it was brief, it still counts for something; it changed the way players composed teams.
>>
>>32575522
Gen 2 could be played on the original Game Boy.
>>
>>32579423
Yes, it gave new Special Abilities. Every game gives some Pokemon new special abilities. Making them Hidden was actually a shit move. They did a nice thing by giving a lot of Pokemon new abilities, they did a shit thing by making them hidden.
>>
>>32579440
Awesome reading comprehension buddy
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.