[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't the Pokemon anime be as good as Digimon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 16

File: 1479446373240.jpg (29KB, 773x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479446373240.jpg
29KB, 773x720px
Why can't the Pokemon anime be as good as Digimon?
>>
File: offmon.gif (2MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
offmon.gif
2MB, 500x282px
Lack of Offmon
>>
>>32466877
I don't get why the Pokémon anime sucks at all. They have had 20 years to produce something decent and it has always been so mind-numbingly shit and unbearable to watch. Maybe 10% of the movies could be rated decent, but so much of it is shit.
>>
File: futari_wa_pretty_cure_logo.png (343KB, 1280x761px) Image search: [Google]
futari_wa_pretty_cure_logo.png
343KB, 1280x761px
>>32466877
Even PreCure has a way better plot and character depth, and the show is intended to little girls, this goes to say how shitty and effortless the Pokemon anime is.
>>
>>32466877
Cause it already successfully.
>>
>>32466877
Because its made with the doraemon approach but pretends its not.

And the only reason to change would be if people didnt like it. Thing is two kind of people watch it. The first is kids who didnt watch the older seasons so arent savvy, and when they realize the show wont go anywhere they have stopped caring already. It really sucks because it forces you to stop caring instead of making a good experience.
The other kind of people are adult fans who, as you see here, arent the smartest of people and will like anything with the pokemon brand in it.

Also, for many people around the world it was their first contact with the franchise so if you dont really like pokemon it'll be all you know about it.

So yeah, its a lose lose.
>>
>>32466877
>digimon
>good

only the first season and tamers
>>
>>32467029
>muh serious business!

Even 02 is better than the pokemon anime by virtue of not being the worst product of the entertainment.industry.
>>
>>32467029
>Renamonfag
>>>/out/
>>
>>32467013
Don't adults just want Pokemon to grow up with them and have Ash win a league?
>>
>>32467104
If that were true then there wouldnt be an adult fanbase for the anime and yet there is as you see here.
>>
>>32466877
The Mangas have shown you can tell great stories with Pokemon. I wish they went this route.
>>
>>32467157
If they did, people in Japan will dislike it just like with Origin and Generations.
>>
>>32466877
Digimon was given the freedom to do whatever they wanted. Pokemon was a marketing tool and nothing more.
>>
>>32467224
I find it hard to believe that Japan likes the Sun and moon anime
>>
File: Dorulumon.jpg (98KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dorulumon.jpg
98KB, 800x600px
Is Dorulumon a canine or a feline?
>>
>>32466877
Digimon is not that good, for example i prefer Os to Adventure. A good season of Digimon was Tamers but that's it, aside of this season i only see in Digimom edgyness with drama epic music and tits, all the things which the most inmature audience, the teens, want. Also Pokémon has the issue to be a long runner anime.
>>
>>32467224
Where does this "Japan dislikes Generations" meme come from? People on Niconico and 2ch went crazy for it in the same way /vp/ did, and were pissed that there was no Japanese dub at first.

At least with Origins I know people shitpost that Japan disliked it it's because it had slightly worst ratings than recent anime episodes, but there's like that to judge Generations with.
>>
>>32467291
>Digimon is not that good
It's not a matter if Digimon is a masterpiece or not, but as a anime featuring monsters, it's way better.

>i prefer Os to Adventure
Shit taste, while OS is probably the most decent season of Pokemon, Adventure still is miles better in every way, also, if I wanted comedy anime then I would watch a comedy anime, is only natural for a shounen to be edgy or dramatic sometimes (though I admit that ALL the time like naruto is total garbo), it's not that Digimon is really edgy, it's just Pokemon that's too safe.
The character development and the scope of the adventure is much better in Digimon, in Pokemon only in movies that things gets interesting sometimes, but even so they're not canon anyway.
>>
>>32467280

What's supposed to be feline about it?

>>32467291
(You)
>>
>>32467273
They change to slice of life and comedy may have to do with other cartoon shows in Japan like Shin Chan to compete.

>>32467387
I believe that Japan sees Pokemon as a fun and comedic with a bit of seriousness in it. Despite us in the West disliking BW, Japan loves it; and when XY/XY&Z came out, it hardly got into the top 10 shows that aired on said date. Japanese probably dislike the change of pokemon being a shouen in that season.
>>
>>32466877
They're made with two different story goals in mind. Both are made to promote the video games, cards and toys, sure. But how they go about it is radically different.

Digimon's story is about personal growth and bonding. Each lead character gets one Digimon, and by the end of the season, they're made significant personal growth and are moving on to the next chapter in their lives. And like its sister franchise Tamagotchi, it's also better at dealing with themes of personal loss; Digimon partners have died, some temporarily, some permanently. But it shows how people learn, mature, and grow from these tragedies. That's the message Digimon promotes with its brand: strength through personal growth.

Meanwhile, Pokemon is about promoting the franchise...and that's it. Ash is not allowed to have personal growth and advancement because if he grows or shows any sign of maturing, then he's outgrowing the target audience. That's why he always loses the tournaments and then fucks off to another region. That's why the show only takes bits and pieces of the games' stories instead of doing a unique retelling. They may make some episodes move emotionally driven or meaningful, sure, but that's only confined to the episode. It likely won't have significant impact later on. Go to a new place, have some adventures, shill some mons, and then fuck off somewhere else. That's it. It's empty. It's a salty bag of chips you just kinda casually eat but never really satisfies.
>>
>>32466877
So do you want Ash to fuck his mom?
>>
>>32467455
>They may make some episodes move emotionally driven or meaningful, sure, but that's only confined to the episode. It likely won't have significant impact later on. Go to a new place, have some adventures, shill some mons, and then fuck off somewhere else. That's it. It's empty.
Pretty much this. Plus, a person can skip any parts or seasons of the anime and wouldn't miss a thing besides new companions and new pokemons Ash caught.
>>
>>32466877
The digimon anime doesn't think its audience is made up of strictly children, and even then it doesn't act like they are idiots.
>>
>>32467457
>Ash to fuck his mom?
But Mime is the father.
>>
>>32467516
The problem when people makes things "for children" is underestimating that exact audience and just shoveling shallow shit at them. Kids like following a story that makes them think, kids love being scared, kids love characters they can identify with overcome huge obstacles and succeed. Huge cool fights and explosions and shit are all well and good, but everything leading up to that is what makes it worthwhile. And if everything leading up to that is just empty shallow horseshit, the audience is just rolling their eyes and saying "okay, get to the good part already".
>>
>>32467548
Partially this, but I think the problem is bigger than that.

Thing is, how many gens does a kid watch the anime? Probably 2. 3 at best(lets say 8 years which is already a lot) in them, you(as in "the audience") get involved with ash, his team, his companions but wait for all of it to have a payoff. But it doesn't. And its acceptable one gen maybe but not more that. Then the show forces you to stop watching at some point without getting any closure. In those 8 years a kid could watch 8 sentai/power rangers seasons and have closure for them. Yougrow out of those but you still got something.

Pokemon doesnt deliver. Its a show that literally expects you to say "fuck this shit i'm done" which is even worse than just being a shit show.
>>
>>32467583
Exactly. Digimon changes protagonists with each new season, but at least they get some form of closure by the end. We're sad to say goodbye but glad their story has a happy ending. Pokemon just drags you along until you get tired and let go.
>>
>>32467453
But they don't. Best Wishes is considered the shittiest series by adult Pokemon fans on Japanese site like it is on English sites. From everything I've seen Japanese anime threads are basically the exact same shit as /padt/ here, just they like Team Rocket more.

The reason XY's ratings were low is because every Pokemon anime's ratings are lower than the series before it. AG's ratings were lower than OS, DP was lower than AG, BW was lower than DP, and XY was lower than BW. Last I checked, SM's overall ratings are roughly at what XY&Z's overall ratings were.
>>
Digimon actually has a story.
>>
>>32467626
>The reason XY's ratings were low is because every Pokemon anime's ratings are lower than the series before it.
If that's the case, then why didn't people bring it up in the Pokemon Community here in the West? Plus, I'm surprised that there even japanese website threads to discuss about the show that no one bother to brought up.
>>
>>32467626
>The reason XY's ratings were low is because every Pokemon anime's ratings are lower than the series before it. AG's ratings were lower than OS, DP was lower than AG, BW was lower than DP, and XY was lower than BW. Last I checked, SM's overall ratings are roughly at what XY&Z's overall ratings were.
But they still manage to get in Top 10 of most watched of the week, isn't?
I pray that someday the ratings gets so abysmal that they will be forced to put some real effort.
>>
>>32466877
lack of incest
>>
SM is far better than Universe for me, tastes i think.
I still thinking that the people forgot that Digimon has more time to prepare the story and the concept an isn't a long runner series like pokémon.
>>
File: 250px-177Natu.png (51KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-177Natu.png
51KB, 250x250px
>>32467659
>I pray that someday the ratings gets so abysmal that they will be forced to put some real effort.
Dude. It's Pokemon. It's one of the most well-recognized franchises in the world. It doesn't HAVE to try.
>>
>>32467659
That should be now. SM's ratings are the lowest the anime has ever been, most episodes get in the 3.5-3.9 range ratings wise. XY's ratings for it's first year were much higher around the 5-6's.

The anime overall though will never be as popular as it once was in the 90's or early 2000's. AG aired right after the initial fad of pokemon cooled down but still got incredibly high ratings because it aired in the early 2000's when more people were watching the anime.

It was around the 2010's the ratings of the anime started dipping tremendously, they were consistently throughout AG and DP.
>>
Reminder that ratings are fucking meaningless because they decrease every year for FUCKING EVERYTHING. And even if the ratings are "lower" than previous" years the shows still manage to top rankings which means that by current standards the ratings STILL are high.
>>
>>32467583
Funny you should say that because Power Rangers didn't have self contained arcs to begin with either. They were all one big continuity up until Space where it all ended. That is 6 seasons for those that are counting. Their cast had numerous changes within most of those seasons, although it never really affected the quality of the show until Turbo, and that was because they decided to replace the WHOLE cast save for one, and thus have to create a new dynamic in the middle of the season. I am uncertain what the reaction to this was, but I've heard of lots of different tales. The overall sense was that they were steadily declining, but it wasn't evident that production values themselves went down until Zeo I think. It was still popular, though. The choices they made during Turbo was what almost destroyed them, and that had nothing to do with anything else. It was just executive meddling. Zeo is as far as I've heard anyone speak of being a loyal fan since the beginning on PR. Though a few might've endured Turbo to be rewarded with Space, I can't be sure. That is most definitely the end of what I know loyal fans did since the beginning. After that, it gets choppy. It again had nothing to do with the plot or cast, though, but it was more that Space was created with the INTENTION of being the ultimate end to the show. It did so well that it saved the franchise and elements of what made it great persist to this day.

I can't really say if that is an accurate measure of how much anyone's willing to endure a show which does little more than follow a precise formula over and over again. Everyone has different tolerances on that, but it does eventually happen. Some are even stubborn enough to stick with it regardless of what happens.
>>
How many people watch the anime here to complain about it??? serious question, because nowadays bitching about the Pokémon anime seems to be pretty cool between the teens.
>>
>>32467702
People have ALWAYS bitched about the pokemon anime since it's existence or since the internet started.

You can literally find old posts from 1999-2000 on ancient and now dead sites with people whining about things happening in Kanto and Orange Islands. The huge bitchfest people made about Tracey replacing Brock, then the Johto fillers, etc.
>>
>>32467702
Nice try. The anime has long been the butt monkey of the fandom, at least since Johto. I'm sure it was by people who actually knew what they were talking about.
>>
>>32467716
Even when Kanto first started people always complained how different it was from the games. How Ash was a moron who released or didn't evolve his pokemon, didn't win his Gym battles fairly, etc.

People are acting like the anime didn't always have complaints even during the first season.
>>
>>32467455
Best post in the thread.
>>
>>32467729
Pardon me, I didn't even know the fandom until late 2002.
>>
>>32467736
Even then people don't stop talking about the early seasons or complaints. I came into the fandom when AG was airing, but even then you still saw people talk about Kanto or Johto and what they did or didn't like, etc.

It also has to do with the fact that a lot of people were becoming teenagers around that time and were in their, "pokemon sucks now" because they were in their edgy teenager phases. Then everyone started growing up and realizing the anime was always aimed at kids to begin with and wasn't supposed to grow up with you.
>>
>>32467742
It was always my impression that the failure of Johto was what prompted it to start with. They wouldn't have criticized Kanto to start with if that didn't happen.
>>
>>32466877
Because the pokemon cartoon is aimed for 5 or under

I don't get how an adult can watch that, thats like watching the fucking teletubbies cartoon as an adult.
>>
>>32467749
Well yeah, Johto is when the initial backlash to the pokemon anime started in full swing. But even before that there were people complaining about Orange Islands due to Tracey, or the usual Kanto saga complaints of Ash releasing
too many pokemon or not evolving them, etc.

The anime has always received a lot of dislike from game fans even from the start
>>
>>32467760
Teletubbies is an educational kids show like Barney or Sesame Street where they sing songs aimed at toddlers.

Pokemon is an action/adventure show aimed at kids around 6-12 like how superheroes are marketed in the U.S. It's pretty easy to see how pokemon entertains adults when there's still different things happening in every episode.
>>
>>32467767
>The anime has always received a lot of dislike from game fans even from the start
If the anime follows and copy the games, all the people will like it then???
I think that the idea of Shūdo was better.
>>
I enjoying SM and i will put the littens episode over any Digimon episode (and i like Digimon).
>>
>>32467691

Yeah, that's the funny part. They made Turbo a serious season out of a parody sentai, made some shitty decisions in progress and it flopped so hard it almost ended it all. And then they tried to end it with some class and apparently they tried too hard.

Even funnier part is later, when Disney was tired of Power Rangers shit so they decided to literally do what killed Turbo, make a serious season out of parody, with some plot elements blatantly copypasted from Space. Thus RPM, one of the most well received seasons, praised for a great storytelling, was born.

I'd like to see Pokemon pulling that off. And I mean it unironically.
>>
>>32467786
Heck no. Being a blatant copy never works well, as we're just seeing the same thing over again. It NEEDS to differentiate itself or there's little reason to watch it when you've already played the game. If you watch it to get into the game, then you'll still see it all before the series ends.

I can never completely support Shudo's vision. It is too mean spirited.
>>
>>32466877
>All this digimonfags
OUT, GET OUT
>>
File: 1485126962520.jpg (74KB, 637x627px) Image search: [Google]
1485126962520.jpg
74KB, 637x627px
And the winner for most intelligent post on 4chan is... >>32467455
>>
>>32467829
Go make a thread about Incineroar, or something.
>>
>>32467686
>>32467714
>>32467729
>>32467742
>>32467779
Fuck off, Scott
>>
>>32466877
All anime is shit, who cares
>>
>>32467797
That is interesting to know, especially since I know that even before then, Disney was trying to cut down production costs by making the seasons shorter. I didn't watch RPM BECAUSE it looked too ridiculous to possibly take seriously. That's honestly kinda funny in an ironic way.

TPCI would never shoot themselves in the foot like that, even if they do that of their own accord anyway. Still, it does depend on how long Disney will continue to host them, as they are the only ones that still will. From what I know, I think they are destined to meet the same fate as they did on CN, only maybe without the only one viewing in the entire week part. They'll still relegate it to a nothing time slot and shill their own productions over it.
>>
>>32467869
No
>>
>>32467902
What do you mean, that the dub will skip over episodes to make seasons shorter?

Even after 20 years, there have only been 3 episodes the dub skipped over for obvious reasons. Even all the worst filler eps of every series have always been dubbed, they never purposely skipped over an episode.
>>
>>32467904
Not him but, nowadays?, yes. The anime WAS good.
>>
>>32467913
He was saying all anime in general is shit. Meaning in any form.
>>
>>32467912
I didn't mean that. I don't even think Disney has direct involvement in Pokemon's production, they just have the rights to air it. I honestly don't even think Disney would be interested since they never get personally involved with outside productions anymore. That's only what they did for Power Rangers, and they gave it up anyway. Honestly, though, I question why Disney is even willing to entertain TCPI unless they know they can get a piece of that marketing pie. The most they get out of their arrangement is more people going over to their network. It's indirect. It will only gain prominence on Disney if they have full control over the brand. They don't, so it will be pocketed to nowhere land eventually. It's sort of a pity, though, since Disney can obviously do better a better dubbing job themselves, but TCPI isn't going to let them do it. I don't want Pokemon to be everywhere, though. I get enough of that from Star Wars, dag if I'll let that happen to Pokemon.
>>
Would anime be better off if it was closer to PokeSpe format since the beginning? Or hell, even if PokeSpe animated?
>>
>>32467994
Yeah, it's for this reason I think Sun/Moon will be the only new season Disney airs. Pokemon sagas go on for 3 years anyway, which is the normal run for kids cartoons in America, so I don't see them keeping the anime for Gen 8 or beyond.

Most likely TCPI will have to find someplace else to air it again.
>>
>>32466877
One of the two is still airing so... Guess it already is better.
>>
>>32467913
I don't think you're considering all the details. The core of the show has always been the same. The details that were good were just that, details. You didn't see them all the time and it would be forever until you did see it again. For XY, all of the quality was put into the Mega specials, and then it's plots melded into the main anime. I can't even say everything that happened at the end of XY was that great since the villain plot was still secondary to them. This has also always been a problem of the show. Nothing that matters, if anything, is their focus. Flare might've overruled the ending of XY, but it was still overall the same junk we've seen again and again. They're only isolated parts of the show and not the whole. Everything else is so samey that it brings the entire mess down regardless of how well something else was written.
>>
>>32467779
Pokemon's still frames and speed lines don't count as an 'action show'

I've seen more engaging action from preschooler's shows plus the dialogue's not quite as childish (and that's a stretch)
>>
>>32468040
You're joking, right? All the battles in the pokemon anime, plus the various action scenes where the human characters are jumping off cliffs or there are explosions or whatever, put Pokemon in the action/adventure category. The best battles in the anime put it above anything in preschool shows.
>>
>>32468040
Actually, I've seen anime that's worse than pokemon in terms of action, and yes, they were action shows. I didn't think it was possible, either.
>>
>>32468011

I have no knowledge about the matter but I'm an expert anyway: the post.
>>
Ratiosmon!
>>
>>32468040
>Pokemon's still frames and speed lines don't count as an 'action show'
Are you talking about XY, SM or Bw, DP, Ag and Os because ypu're missing the point that nowadays Pokémon has the best animation between all the long runner shows. Even Tri is behind the XY and SM's animation.
>>
>>32468120
Is it because Toei is shit?
>>
The Digimon anime has actual story and character arcs.

In Pokemon you know nothing matters because the conclusion is going to play out the same and it's just going to get reset in another 2 or 3 years anyway. Yu-Gi-Oh anime is better for the same reason.
>>
>>32466877
There hasn't been a good Digimon anime since Savers
>>
>>32468238
>Yu-Gi-Oh
> better
I'm crying.
>>
>>32466925
You're acting like PreCure isn't better than 80% of the shit that airs these days
>>
>>32468250
Number one rule of Digimon - don't talk about Hunters.
>>
>>32468260
Hunters or Fusion or 02 or Tri or Universe or even Savers.
The only good series of Digimon were Tamers and Adventure and the best movie was Digimon X-Evolution.
>>
>>32468258
>>32466925
Ain't that anime have so many magical girls?
>>
>>32468289

Seriously, people who say that Tamers was the only good one are the equivalent of people who claim GenIV was the only good one.

Even Frontier was kinda enjoyable to watch, even if built on a stupid premise. That said, >>32468260
>>
>>32468428
Frontier had god tier music, even in the dub.
>>
>>32467453
I meant adult fans in Japan.
>>
>>32468439

This, even though Fire was by far weakest of Wada's openings.
>>
>>32468447
I have no idea if they like it or not.
>>
>>32468258
I actually like Pretty Cure, maybe the wording was a bit misleading.

>>32468292
Yes, each season has its own sets of characters, setting, and events, that's why it has so many girls.
>>
>>32468254
The original was, yes. OG, Zexal 2, the first half of 5DS and GX were all better than any pokemon or digimon anime. We don't talk about the other series though.
>>
>>32469662
>GX
>ever good

I'll give you the rest though.
>>
>>32468037
>Everything else is so samey that it brings the entire mess down regardless of how well something else was written.
This.
>>
>>32469662
>OG, Zexal 2, the first half of 5DS and GX were all better than any pokemon or digimon anime.
Is this bait??
If not Yugifag, get out!!!
>>
>>32471169
Not him, but while the first half of GX is kinda boring, the second half is one of the pinnacles of the series, not many people endure the first half, though.
>>
>>32466877
Because Digimon, and almost every other show ever, have at least: a plot, some measure of character development, and progression - beginning, middle, end. You know, the basic things that make storytelling.

Pokemon has none of those. It's a 30 minute ad for Pokemon that does anything but trying to tell a story.
>>
>>32472989
Pokemon kind of have an end which is to end the series once Ash won the league.
>>
>>32473373
Then I ask you why does that matter to pokemon and no one else? Everything else eventually ended, albeit that mostly had to do with the matter that most of them run concurrently with a manga and just had to wait for that to end. Otherwise, even without that kind of context, most shows based on something run for a year or less and just end. If it's an ongoing franchise, they just make a new incarnation with a new cast and plot and everything and have that run for while before replacing it with another incarnation. Why is pokemon the only one so concerned with maintaining the same character?
>>
>>32473373
You know him winning a league and becoming champion of a region doesn't HAVE to be the end of the series, right?

He could explore an unknown region and discover all new Pokemon. He could enter a tournament with other league champions. He can save the world from some kind of threat. Something. There's lots of possibilities.
>>
>>32473373
Yeah, in another five decades, once the franchise goes bust and they have no longer an excuse to put up with animating a commercial ad. Don't try to pretend the Pokemon anime has a semblance of storytelling because it has none.
>>
>>32473460
The people in charge of the anime seem to literally think that if Ash wins the league, it's over. So, Ash will never win the league unless his story ends, which will happen when the anime ends, which will happen when TPC goes broke, which won't happen soon because Pokemon is too damn profitable, so enjoy another 20 years of Ash jobbing and thank you.
>>
>>32466877
Why can't Latias be as good as any other waifu?
>nb4 latiasfags try to deny this
>>
>>32467925
And it is. Fuck off back to /a/
>>
>>32466877
Why doesn't GF go back to the same levels of writing as the first three movies?

The Diancie and Volcanion movie felt like it got close.
>>
File: 1492398462518.png (1MB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492398462518.png
1MB, 1200x1000px
>>32466877
>anime is meant to sell the games
>hardly has anything to do with the games
nah, it's meant to sell this yellow motherfucker. Why else would they never replace Ash with another protagonist despite it making perfect sense if Ash is meant to be relatable for newcomers? No Ash = No Pikachu. They'd need to shoehorn Pikachu in each series if they got rid of him because TPCi refuses to support an anime without their series mascot.
>>
>>32468254
It is. I'd even take the fucking shitty series like Zexal over any of the more recent Pokemon seasons because at least there's a fucking conclusion.
>>
>>32473424
>Why is pokemon the only one so concerned with maintaining the same character?
I believe it has to do with Ash being a representation of us. If you think about it, like how people continue playing the series in each gen games; Ash is going to new regions and starting fresh.

>>32473460
Pokemon XY/XYZ, Anon. He lost the league, but still fight Team Flare. Also, if that's the case, he would've win in regions like Sinnoh, Johto, or even Unova.

>>32473508
>Don't try to pretend the Pokemon anime has a semblance of storytelling because it has none.
I'm fully aware that the series lack storytelling and use recycle plots and most characters are bland. Let's be honest, the targeted audience are kids. It has a planned ending, it's just the matter of if they want to use it once the Pokemon franchise is coming to and end or try a different character to use as their next guinea pig.
>>
File: tiger.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tiger.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>32467280
He's a tiger.

So to answer your question; Maybe.
>>
>>32474310
That was always the better anime.
>>
>>32474258
>Not thinking the possibility that Ash is also the face of the cartoon.
>>
Digimon, Yugioh and all the other shitty knockoffs are all garbage, terrible and flawed anime.

Just for different reasons than why the Pokemon anime is.

Monster Rancher is probably the best out of all of them but even that got effed up due to the ending.
>>
File: aspect raidou.jpg (219KB, 1270x635px) Image search: [Google]
aspect raidou.jpg
219KB, 1270x635px
>>32474370
>they're all garbage
>but my favorite garbage is only shit because it made mistakes
>>
>>32467280
Clearly canine
>>
>>32467029
In terms of anime, even the worst of digimon is better than most of pokemon
>>
>>32467729
>Even when Kanto first started people always complained how different it was from the games. How Ash was a moron who released or didn't evolve his pokemon, didn't win his Gym battles fairly, etc.
Funny you should say that because the anime is the reason why pokemon took off in the West
>>
>>32474573
Even if the anime never came out in the U.S., the Pokemon games would have been popular like any other Nintendo franchise.
>>
>>32474370
Yugioh is obvious. What makes Digimon so bad? Inconsistency? I don't really think so since Adventure was originally produced to only be the File Island saga. When it got popular, they continued it. That being said, File Island was pretty intense at the end. Not as intense as it would get, but it wasn't happy times like pokemon. True, thinking about it, even for the rest, it has the same underlying flaw that 02 has, and that is that the plot is only strung together by the seat of their pants. It's only more obvious in 02 because it was so bland. There is nothing really stringing any of the sagas together, just the Sorting Algorithm of Evil. Your mileage may vary, though, as plenty of things consist of smaller story arcs as opposed to having one overarching story. Tamers at least SEEMED more cohesive, but I am uncertain if it actually was produced with having everything that happened in it planned beforehand. Everything does add up, though, which is not something I can say for Adventure or 02. Frontier was clearly designed as one giant overarching story. Again, with Savers, it at least SEEMS cohesive in that everything adds up. Then again, it's kinda clunky in that they face a Big Bad, and then the rest is them cleaning up the mess that THEY started.

The only other criticism I see is the matter that Tamers completely switched gears from the tone of Adventure and 02. Not that they were completely happy fun times, but it plainly wasn't as serious as Tamers. Some love it for that, others feel like it ruined it. The facts? From what I know Tamers was still as popular as the previous seasons, but I'll need actual figures to be certain. Regardless, this would be what the show would run on from that point forward. If none of that matters, then what are we arguing about anyway? Then it only becomes a matter of opinion.

No, I don't think popularity is a fair measure, but I also feel that if something is great, then it should be self-evident
>>
The digimon anime is also shit save for Tamers.
>>
>>32474780
I don't think so. RPGs were still for the most part an anomaly. There were a few good ones, but most of them were shit. They had not reached the point where they were an accepted genre just yet.
>>
>>32474801
Even the shittiest of Digimon series (02, Hunters, Frontier) are easily better than most, if not all of the ashnime. Savers itself is objectively better than whatever the best series Pokemon has to offer (OS, DP or XY).
>>
>>32474824
Really? By the time Pokemon hit in 1998 RPG's had already been very popular in the SNES and Playstation 1.

Final Fantasy 7 came out in 1997 and was a huge hit and the most popular RPG in the U.S. for a long time, Pokemon came out a year later.
>>
>>32474800
If something is not popular that is good, then it either did not get the advertising it needed, it was somewhere not a lot of people could see it, or it was only really good for a certain kind of people. Digimon was the perfect answer for the people at the time who were growing too old for pokemon and had not yet discovered other venues. It was destined to be niche. It has a strong following, though, just as much as any other franchise I know. That it's not talked about as much is irrelevant.

Also, really, Monster Rancher? An anime that has a plot that has been done a zillion times in anime? Although that's only the first season. I never watched the second season because it feels like it would be just as empty as pokemon. It is a weird ending, though.
>>
>>32474871
Oh, I didn't realize FF7 had already come out. Never mind, then.
>>
>>32474370
Yes, of course they're flawed anime, but Pokemon is worse. No, seriously, Pokemon is a serious contender for the title of "worst anime ever".
>>
>>32474780
>the Pokemon games would have been popular like any other Nintendo franchise.
Not really no. Hell not a lot of Nintendo franchises pick up steam at all let alone just in the West
>>
>>32474902
I'll only say that because pokemon doesn't know what it wants to be. At least every other anime I know had a premise and stuck with it. Pokemon is trying to be two things that don't match and it doesn't work on any level.
>>
>>32474780
You mean like Fire Emblem that was recently in danger of being killed off entirely until Awakening?
What about Custom Robo and Geist?
I know Startropics, Starfy and Codename Steam.

Seriously you can count the series that made it to the west and MADE it in the West on one hand.
>>
>>32474917
Also, in this respect, I still don't know what exactly SM is. They went more for the random comedy route, but I don't truly understand if there is supposed to be an underlying plot or not. I think there is, but it's not being focused on that much. Then again, it wasn't for any of the other sagas, either. Just whenever a gym happened. For this, there isn't even anything to tell us when a trial is going to happen, other than if the ep titles or summaries say so, because no traveling is happening. That just makes me confused because if they wanted to do one thing more than the other, then why didn't they just go completely to that side and not even pretend to have the other?
>>
>>32467869
If it was a Shitty Burger cartoon you will eat it no matter how Mediocre is, Bag of Shit
>>
>>32475006
People still think TTG and SU are shit.
>>
>>32474864
Savers started out alright but dropped off quickly. As for being better than the Pokemon anime I think it's a matter of taste. They're all equally shitty in different ways to me.
>>
>>32467054
>implying you have to like Renamon for Tamers
It was directed by the creator of SE: Lain and it shows. The only real problem is the pacing.
>>
File: 24.jpg (43KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
43KB, 853x480px
>>32468254
>Implying that the first half of 5Ds doesn't top's everything
>>
>Ctrl+F "Takeshi Shudo"
>0 results

>>32473822
Because the lead writer left due to an argument over the 3rd movie, then died in 2010.
>>
>>32475498
>It was directed by the creator of SE: Lain
Now, that's new to me.
>>
>>32475023
So true.
>>
>>32475581
Can't top Arc-V.
>>
File: onpupeace.jpg (58KB, 598x800px) Image search: [Google]
onpupeace.jpg
58KB, 598x800px
>>32466925
Precure is just a watered down Doremi anyways.
Weird how a show about younger girls was significantly more mature.
>>
>>32477349
Or maybe you matured enough to reach little girl shows.
proud of u
>>
>>32467013
>and when they realize the show wont go anywhere they have stopped caring already.
This. Pokemon's viewership is constantly cycling. So it doesn't matter when the new wave of kids stop watching, as long as they still play the games and shit. The anime is just the gateway to the franchise, and an effective vehicle for promotion.
>>
>>32477354
reach?
>>
>>32473822
I don't remember the second movie have particularly good story or characters. 1 and 3 were sufficiently engrossing though.
>>
>>32474800
>Adventure was originally produced to only be the File Island saga.
God, can you imagine it just being that? I'm glad they continued, because the show really did not inherit it's positive traits by that point.
>>
Why should it be? Babies and shippers will love it no matter what.
Unless it's BW, that is.
>>
File: Futari.wa.Precure.Splash.Star.jpg (872KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Futari.wa.Precure.Splash.Star.jpg
872KB, 849x1200px
>>32477349
So, Doremi is good? Maybe I'll watch it someday.
I'm still trying to watch all seasons of PreCure (it's not a easy task, but it's enjoyable so far).
>>
>>32477322
Arc-V is possibly the only YGO series that is nearly as bad as Pokemon.
>>
File: doremi0.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
doremi0.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
>>32478622
Yes. Just keep in mind that it's 200+ total episodes thanks to all it's continued seasons and don't let your guard down to it's cartoonish exterior, unless you want to fall victim to some low blows.
>>
>>32474993
XY got trounced by Yokai Watch so they adopted a similar comedic, sillier tone to try and capture the younger audience.

Since it's done poorly so far and Yokai Watch itself has nosedived in viewership, it'll probably revert back to the normal semi-serious badge quest next generation.
>>
>>32478622
Don't watch HappinessCharge Precure.

It's like the Best Wishes of Precure. Except MUCH worse. Literally the only good thing about it is Seiji, the normal childhood friend guy who knows karate.
>>
>>32478795
>Since it's done poorly so far
I thought I read the anime has been doing far better than XYZ, regardless of what caused the increased viewership.
But yeah, funny how Nintendo finally starts showing influence from the Yokai Watch fad in Japan, and now it's on it's way out.
>>
>>32466877
First, the puny cast. Ash, malefriend, girlfriend, and maybe fourthfriend will never have as dynamic of interactions of 7/8 children and an equal number of sentient communicating monsters. The best characterization we get out of a non-meowth Pokemon is probably Ash's Charizard, who almost feels like an actual sapient being with motivations and personality beyond a quirk.
Second, the status quo. Pokemon is primarilly a commercial, so nothing big can shake up the formula. Digimon? Fuck it, fight world ending balls of hands at the first season, switch over the cast, do whatever.
Third, scale. The most impressive moment of Pokemon outside of movies is either a champion battle, or maybe a single encounter with a legendary. In Digimon, the kids are fighting demigods back-to-back that shoot nuclear missiles by halfway through the season.
Fourth, relateability. In Digimon, a given character is more or less a human as we know them, maybe from a slightly more technologically advanced world, thrust into a bizarre world. In Pokemon, the world operates under an assumption that at 10 everyone backpacks around the country for a few years, fighting animals and nobody thinks this is strange in the slightest.
Fifth, care. In Pokemon, characters of the day are the shopkeep, or traveling scientist, or whatever the fuck. They do their thing, then you never see them again. In Digimon, far more characters wind up doing something. Just from the original series, Ogremon stands out here. A disposable, no-name generic villain not only came back, but followed the gang around and we got to see his story. There are rivals who have been fleshed out less than this guy that the animators didn't even bother to make his mouth close when he talked.

I think it has to do with quality of characters, honestly, coupled with the ungodly amount of filler Pokemon has.
>>
File: Demi-Fiend I CHOOSE YOU!.jpg (339KB, 1291x1177px) Image search: [Google]
Demi-Fiend I CHOOSE YOU!.jpg
339KB, 1291x1177px
>>32474511
I want a demi-kids anime
>>
>>32466877
The closest Pokemon ever came to that was the Mysterious Dungeon animated specials.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>32478961
No.
>>
>>32478944
>the puny cast is a bad thing
Stopped reading right there
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.