[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colosseum Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: bike.jpg (57KB, 616x480px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
57KB, 616x480px
>Fight through dozens of Miror B's minions, barely defeat the big man himself
>Notice I missed an Ein File before Duking drags me out by my feet
>Run all the way through the cave again
>See some clown standing in Miror B.'s spot, ignore him and grab the file
>Decide to see who he is before I leave
>Almost immediately get swept by Level 40 Pokemon early on in the game
Fuck Duking, let's get a Colosseum thread going here. Gale of Darkness discussion is also welcome.
>>
>>31562831
>XD
>>>/out/
>>
>>31562860
I specifically avoided saying that though.
>>
>>31562860
You have to go back.
>>
File: buba peep.jpg (31KB, 321x321px) Image search: [Google]
buba peep.jpg
31KB, 321x321px
>>31562860
>>31562870
tfw you can never discuss your favorite game on /vp/ cuz its a living meme
>>
>>31563077
Normally just saying Gale prevents you from getting memed on, but today was an exception.
>>
>>31562831
Is it true that pokemon from Colosseum and GoD can't be transferred into gen 7? I wanted to go through the games again but if I can't transfer them then I don't want to spend the time trying to optimize the mons.
>>
>>31562831
>TFW I've never enjoyed a Pokemon story more than in Colosseum
>TFW I'd pay piles of money for a 3DS port
It fucking hurts bros. Why can't GS make another game?

>>31563151
Correct. It's unknown if it's intentional, but I doubt it. GF probably just forgot the Orre games existed for a sec.
>>
>>31563151
>>31563202
No, they can. You'll just need a Gamecube/GameBoy link cable and a game from every generation. I had a whole bunch of Gale Pokemon in my Bank and they're all in Moon now.
>>
>>31563214
Then why isn't it letting my Tri Attack Togekiss through? Not calling you a liar, just suspecting there's another problem at work here.
>>
>>31562831
Feels like a bastardized romhack

Leveling sucks

Story is feeble

The puzzles are incoherent

Pokemon selection aybsmal

Granted, it is paying for Ruby and Sapphire's sins. Most of the Pokemon available are really shitty Johto shitmon, which they clearly did to make up for the fact that so many Johtomon were lost in the transition from Gen 2-3, so good on them, except the Johtomons are pretty much trash, which is expounded by the fact that this game has overleveled opponents with legitimately threatening Pokemon
>>
File: 1482267618192.png (120KB, 800x768px) Image search: [Google]
1482267618192.png
120KB, 800x768px
>>31563324
>>
>>31563265
Hm don't know. I haven't attempted to transfer my Body Slam Eevee that I had from FireRed yet. It's currently sitting in my bank.
>>
>>31563324
So you're saying it's too hard for you? That's a shame. There's always Sun and Moon I guess
>>
>>31563324
>Story is feeble
Have you fucking played any game prior to gen 4?
>>
>>31563324
The Pokemon selection is what made the game unique, it made you use Pokemon you normally wouldn't use.
>>
File: Rule Two.gif (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rule Two.gif
22KB, 400x300px
>>31563357
>Anon gives valid criticism
>Faggot cries 2hard4you
>>
>>31563324
>Feels like a bastardized romhack
Opinion
>Leveling sucks
Git gud
>Story is feeble
Most early Pokemon games didn't even HAVE a story, just subplots. Look at fucking RBY and GSC.
>The puzzles are incoherent
If you want complicated puzzles you will never find them in a Pokemon game.
>Pokemon selection aybsmal
This is your only strong point that I agree with.
>the fact that this game has overleveled opponents with legitimately threatening Pokemon
Are you ACTUALLY BITCHING about DIFFICULTY in a fucking Pokemon game? People have been bitching that the main series games are too easy for years. Holy shit, why?

tl;dr, you hate them for almost no reason
>>
>>31563265
Is there something else it might have that's illegal? What's its other moves or stats?
>>
>>31563357
Yanma and Qwilfish don't do you any favors against the Mayor's Dragon Dancing Salamence, especially since they're guaranteed to be underleveled if you only fight the ingame opponents.

If you want to grind via Mt. Battle, you have to go through 30 floors before you even reach opponents who can give you enough exp to get a single level up.

I agree I like the challenge compared to other games, but it definitely shows poor game design.

>>31563387
In terms of atmosphere, level design, and narrative, the story is completely lackluster. I fucking dare you to try explaining the ending to me.

>>31563408
You are completely correct. One of Coliseum's merits is it allows you to use Johtomon who were basically impossible to use in Gen 2. Example: Misdreavus.
>>
>>31563438
When was the last time you played this game? There's a difference between linear, easy puzzles like the rest of the series and puzzles that make absolutely no sense. Example: When you go to Pyrite Town and find the local rat, he tells you that you need to defeat Minor B. The game's clues tell you that you have to win at the Coliseum to see Minor B. When you go to the Coliseum, you are told that the Coliseum has already started and you can't join. How do you solve this puzzle? You have to find a fucking hidden room behind a bookshelf and talk to some kids. That's not 'my opinion,' that's unintelligible level design.

It feels like a romhack/has a lackluster story because, unlike the other games, it's not based on a particular place. The region is pure fanfiction written on a cobbled post-apocalyptic Steampunk level.
>>
>>31563265
>>31563451
It's probably the moves. These game's cool idea of giving pokemon moves they otherwise wouldn't learn is backfiring.

>tfw can't have Psycho Boost Lugia in Moon

And that Lugia is one of the main reasons I want to play this again.
>>
>>31563567
I have two of them in Moon, I don't understand how everyone else is having problems.
>>
>>31563549
It's based on Arizona.
>>
>>31563324

>Leveling sucks

they give you two great ways to level up.

>The colosseums
>Mt. Battle with its smooth scailing from 20 all the way to 60.

the only time it sucks is before you can purify shadow pokemon because you're still fighting unevolved stage 1 shitmons until after Dakim.
>>
>>31563549
>The region is pure fanfiction written on a cobbled post-apocalyptic Steampunk level.
>He thinks this is objectively worse than "LOL HEY DUDE DO YOU LIKE MALASADA AND WAIFUS?!"
>>
>>31563699
I definitely also dislike the Shadow Pokemon purifying delay

Mt. Battle starts at too low of a level. It took me about 80 minutes of play time (and 1 total level in that time period for my newly-purified team) to get to a point where my team could gain levels at a reasonable rate.

Pyrite Coliseum is 20 levels higher than your party when you first gain access to it. Phenac suffers the same exact problem as Mt. Battle where the enemy mons don't give enough exp.

They definitely are options for leveling up, and they do become viable, but I'd argue it takes too much investment to make them actually worthwhile, adding to the tediousness of the game

>>31563748
At least the Malasalada is grounded in culture and an attempt at theme

Not that Sun and Moon are a shining example of level design and narrative progression

But let's not open that can of worms here, it's rare we get to actually talk about Coliseum in all its awful glory
>>
>>31563771
>awful
I'm pretty sure out of the 13 posters in this thread you're the only one that thinks this, friend-o.
>>
>>31563788
What is your argument in terms of the game's mechanics? I've made mine pretty clear

Don't get me wrong

I had a lot of fun playing with it

I just understand precisely why it's a tumorous growth off the main appendage of the series
>>
>>31563077
FUCKING THIS
>tfw when I can't talk about my favorite pokegirl because it'll lead to race baiting
>>
>>31563817
Honestly I thought the story was pretty good for what it was.

The game is a complete turn from what we had in the past, and the more "mature" theme they went for was a breath of fresh air I sorely needed. You can call it steampunk fan fiction if you want to, but I genuinely enjoyed it.

As for the game mechanics, no wild Pokemon and poor selection of Shadow Pokemon irritated me. But it gave the game a hint of "realism" I suppose, unlike something like SM where I was literally able to get a Scizor before even the second island trial.

Also, the music was boss as shit. I've yet to see anyone mention that. Colosseum had a phenomenal soundtrack.
>>
>>31563847
Iris or Olivia?
>>
Currently replaying Colosseum. As much as I like it, there are a fair amount of flaws that make playing the game tedious, especially the early game. Having only two Pokemon that can level up since you cannot purify yet, and the limited selection of Pokemon that leads to having very similiar teams when replayed. Not to mention a lot of the better Pokemon that are available are too late to use in-game.

On the other hand, it is a Pokemon game with some genuine difficulty, and I enjoy that. Gale of Darkness fixed just about every mechanic flaw from Colosseum.

A remake of Colosseum with updated Pokemon mechanics like the physical/special split would be great. Being able to evolve the Pokemon that gained evos in Gen IV alone would greatly increased Pokemon selection, and adding more Shadow Pokemon as well as the other shadow moves from Gale of Darkness would be great.
>>
>>31563953
olivia
>>
>>31563890
The soundtrack is incredible.

I like that you brought up the 'realism,' I hadn't thought of it like that. It's definitely a unique experience being limited to a select few Pokemon that makes it feel different from the other games. Objectively this is 'poor design,' but in practice it was challenging and a lot of fun.

The atmosphere is also unique in the same sense: it deviates from what every other game in the series does. This makes for a cobbled-together, nonsensical setting. Trainer classes exist for a reason: there's a thematic idea of what types of Pokemon each trainer is going to have. Whereas in this game, anyone could have anything. Even the trainer designs are nonsensical and rooted more in style than substance.

Coliseum is clearly a Gamefreak sideproject that shoehorns poor level design into a vague Pokemon formula. That being said, it's a radical change of pace and there's no Pokemon game like it. That's why it has the fanbase that it does. I'd like to see Gamefreak capitalize on this positive trait while dismembering the flaws that make playthroughs of it incredibly frustrating.

That being said, haven't played XD Kill Yourself yet. Pokemon selection looks way better, I'm curious to see how they handled pacing, narrative, and level design.
>>
>>31564027
>Coliseum is clearly a Gamefreak sideproject that shoehorns poor level design into a vague Pokemon formula.
Gamefreak had nothing to do with Colosseum. Genius Sonority developed it.
>>
>>31564051
Hence my point, it's a glorified romhack

>>31564004
You recommend good fixes, but those are still band-aids that don't solve the overall problem with Coliseum
>>
>>31564083
>If an actual video game developer with Gamefreak's express permission develops a Pokemon game with a completely different setting and engine, it's a romhack
I don't think you know what a "romhack" is, what makes the game a "glorified romhack" exactly? Also you know they made Battle Revolution too, right?
>>
>>31563699
I just got to Dakim, and I had to soft reset because the dumbass knocked out his own Entei and I need a good Fire-type.
>>
>>31564126
And I forgot to save, FUCK. Now I have to fight those nine jackasses all over again, and battles in Colosseum take an eternity.
>>
>>31564121
I get your literal point

Although the engine is different, it's trying to emulate Gamefreak's Pokemon mechanics

It doesn't know how to do that

It substitutes charm with some absolutely outrageous (in a good way) changes to the formula

It gets points for changing up the premise

It gets negative points for not applying these changes correctly
>>
>>31563890
>get a Scizor before even the second island trial
How?
>>
>>31564374
>Launch night
>Playing with my bro at my apartment
>Toss up my Popplio on the GTS asking for a Scyther because I didn't want a starter this time around
>Someone actually fucking bites, gives me a scyther they caught on poni island, no idea how they got there so quick but whatever
>Proceed to breed it, get a loyal scyther at level 1
>Grab my butterfree and teach it thief, proceed to slaughter Magnemite at the school for a metal coat
>Ask my bro to help me evolve it
Easy.
>B-B-BUT YOU USED THE GTS!
I couldn't have done anything remotely like this in Colosseum.
>>
>>31563077
Why cant we just use "GoD"?
>>
>>31564083
>Coliseum
>>
>>31564453
>I couldn't have done anything remotely like this in Colosseum
Good point
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaqYWvPj6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFI-7iIwaXU

I love the OST so much.

I actually hadn't played GoD because I was less enticed to the story as i was with Colosseum. Should I give it another shot?
>>
>>31564156
And now I'm on fucking Shadow Suicune, and the stupid bitch made it knock itself out so now I have to fight her a third time. God, I can't wait to get the Master Ball.
>>
>>31564487
Because it doesn't exist.
>>
File: 22-155s9q9.jpg.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
22-155s9q9.jpg.gif
4MB, 320x240px
Friendly neighborhood reminder that Dakim, when faced with someone not complying to his demands, instead of challenging them to a pokemon battle, He fucking punches them.
>>
File: 1341013200584.png (23KB, 118x126px) Image search: [Google]
1341013200584.png
23KB, 118x126px
>>31566444
More than 10 years later and Pokemon still has yet to top the battle themes from these games.
>>
File: GXXE01-6.png (430KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
GXXE01-6.png
430KB, 600x480px
You're a big guy
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.