[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon Fanfiction General and Writethread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 70

File: 1482702166063.png (157KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
1482702166063.png
157KB, 500x414px
/vpwt/: Have a comfy New Year edition

>Post your finds and ideas for prompts.
>Share your work and request critique.
>Discuss the struggle as a reader or writer.
IRC channel at [ #vpwritethread on irc.rizon.net ]

Previous: >>30997417

Fic catalogue:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing

Authors and/or anons looking for things to write can look through the ideabin here for something good.
Feel free to request ideas be put here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X072SSWulcC6RJRrPA6v9XtyohRybvMBl6Fh49wHsRw

FAQ:
>Posting fics?
Link to Pastebin, FFN, AO3, or G-Docs, etc. Don't write stories to the thread itself.

>NSFW fics?
Links are permitted. Do label as such.

>Add my fic to the catalogue?
You're free to do so. Please use the submission form found inside the catalogue

>What's with the tripfags?
Authors are encouraged to put on a trip while posting or discussing their content, as it makes discussing their works easier.

Topic Of The Thread: You all know what New Years Day means: Resolutions! Got any you want to share?
>>
>>31107706
Last fics are below:

Raichu and Charmander, NSFW
http://pastebin.com/434i8bGm

Last chapter of Ribombee story, SFW
http://pastebin.com/nBY8aZ7C

Small christmas bit between a trainer and Braixen, SFW
http://pastebin.com/CDWu36tP

I count 45 Fledglings, SFW
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11084689/45/Fledglings

Buzzswole and UBs dungeon raiding PMD, Warcraft style, SFW
http://pastebin.com/isWgMJJD
>>
>>31107706
>resolutions
Get my first original writing project off the ground, hell or high water.

More thread-specific, I think several of my stories are converging on some point after their assorted endings and I want to know what, when, and where. Once I know, maybe I'll write it.
>>
>ToTT
Finish MoM
Get job

That's it, really. Anything else good I do is proxy of myself, not any goals I set at the beginning of the year.
>>
>>31107856
Hey my trip fell off
>>
File: Chuckster.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Chuckster.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>Puke?
>"Who the fuck are you?"
>CHAMP!
>"I'm a chuckster!"
>Muke...
>"Oh for fuck's sake"
>>
File: IMG_5259.jpg (169KB, 804x994px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5259.jpg
169KB, 804x994px
>try looking up Lusamine fanfiction
>none of them feature her in her monster form
>all of them try to portray her in a positive or tragic light instead of as a batshit insane villain
Is it hard to write someone's descent into madness, or do people just like happy endings better? Would one of you guys like to give the topic a spin?
>>
File: 1354393756885.png (455KB, 797x1127px) Image search: [Google]
1354393756885.png
455KB, 797x1127px
>working on chapters from a fic I havent updated in 3 years
>spiraling into a descent of wondering why I'm even working on this, and who is even going to care if I update it
>>
>>31108423
There's somebody out there for you, still waiting for Anon to deliver.
>>
New thread, best time to post this then.

I've posted here before a few times, but now I'm going to be around a bit more often.

I'm reposting my works on Ao3 from AFF, with weekly updates to hopefully garner a healthy following.

Here's my Ao3 Profile: http://archiveofourown.org/users/Manifest_Destiny/profile

And for this week, we have Chapter 1 of The Dark Type: http://archiveofourown.org/works/9113758/chapters/20714710

Any regular updates on my works and such will be on my new tumblr, should any of you care to follow there. Here i'll just be posting chapters and responding to any comments.
>>
>>31108423
Someone's always waiting.
>>
>>31108357
I think the only fics that paint Lusamine in a negative light are the ones where she's bullying Guzma.
>>
Remember that we still don't have enough nsfw.
>>
Alright, at this point, I think I've finally figured out that I'm a bidaily writer as opposed to daily. Been sitting here for a while and nothing's come to me.Bidaily it is for me. Kinda sucks, because this means that I won't be able to finish the first chapter up by the end of the year.

Oh, well. New year, new story, I guess. That, and continuing another story that I haven't touched since August, and finishing up ANOTHER story that I haven't touched in over two years. 2017's gonna be... fun.
>>
>>31112049
Bi-daily sounds comfy as fuck. I wish I could write enough in a single session to actually warrant alternating days and still having a good pace, but I'm already exhausted just churning out nearly half of what I could a few months ago.
>>
>>31112049
As someone who really only gets a good writing grove once a week, if time allows, bi-daily isn't anything to be disappointed about.

Write at your own pace and enjoy it.
>>
>>31112106
If you can spit out more then 1,000 words, then you're still better then me, considering that's what I average in each writing session. Take note as well that my chapter is around 9,000 words, and still needs about four more scenes and some minor additions before even thinking about editing (Although, I don't really edit, and I regret that every time I go back to my older words and see Saw VII for Saw 8)

>>31112144
It's just something I've noticed recently. I'm not sure if I've upgraded or downgraded from how often I wrote earlier this year. Although, this time I'm going to try and not take a break in between writing chapters, because that's more often then not when I get out of the groove and have to push myself back in.
>>
>>31112290
I write an average of 3000 words a day on the second draft, but if the chapter is exciting enough to write, I can chug twice that on the rough.

I'm more concerned with the fact that most of making something worthwhile isn't fun rather than isn't fast.
>>
>>31112290
>>31112445
Usually if I can get 1000 words down during a writing session, I count that as a good day

Any progress, even if it's just doing an outline, cleaning up notes, or whatever, is good progress in my book.

Then again, here I am also putting out hardly any chapters in a timely fashion.
>>
>>31112445
Well, you're making more progress in a single writing session then I am, so you've got that going for you.

>>31112555
Any progress is good progress if it's just something you're passionate about. You don't have to worry about things like deadlines if the only person holding yourself back is you.
>>
>>31107828
A reminder for folks that made stuff for the thread to submit it to the catalog as well, the more stuff submitted the better
>>
Up
>>
File: 1481942942111.png (338KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
1481942942111.png
338KB, 600x558px
>>
>>31107706
ToTT: Finish OV and ACPC, but other than that I'm not sure what else. Maybe do more worldbuilding and see what kind of story crops up while I do so.
>>
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6161819/724/Pokedex

My pokedex series updates with Decidueye's entry.
>>
File: Blaziken.gif (31KB, 178x237px) Image search: [Google]
Blaziken.gif
31KB, 178x237px
>>
File: 1419851005565.png (514KB, 590x544px) Image search: [Google]
1419851005565.png
514KB, 590x544px
New chapter is up.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10121590/17/

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year, /vpwt/.
>>
File: snug as a bug.jpg (17KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
snug as a bug.jpg
17KB, 600x480px
>>31107706
Man, Joltik is adorable.

Anyway, as for the TOTT: My main resolution related to writing is to get a lot more serious about this whole fanfiction thing. Sort of generic and vague, I know, but I really feel like I need to push myself more from now on. I only started writing fiction in earnest a few months ago, so I still have a lot to improve upon. I'm decent enough at nonfiction, like reports and essays and stuff, but I also want to be a good fiction writer--that's the main reason I joined the writethread, really.

With that in mind, I resolve to actually do some research into the English language in general and all the terminology related to it, as well as researching how to write stories, both of which are topics I still haven't looked into very much.
In addition, I really need to get better at time management. I've always been inept at that even before I began writing fanfiction here, and it's really hurting me. I'll see how I can improve that along with my writing in general, and hopefully I will also become more productive in this upcoming year.
>>
>>31120524
>research into the English language in general and all the terminology related to it, as well as researching how to write stories
The best way to pick this up isn't through how-to's or style guides or collected tips and pointers. It's through reading other fiction. Just remember that.
>>
I'm so close to finishing this first draft. Just a scene and a half to go.
>tfw writing so slowly
I want to complete it tonight, damnit.
>>
>Topic Of The Thread
There are some great resolutions here in the thread made by writefriends, many of which I share as an aspiring author. For that reason I'll keep my NYR simple, I'd like to finish my Pokemon series of fanfic. I've given it an extended lifespan - always coming back to it despite my other projects. For the sake of any anons waiting, I'll conclude >>31119013 with these next few chapters. Have thought about what I'll write next and whether it will be set in a similar universe or something different, but making that call will require me to be done working on what has been keeping my mind occupied.

>>31108423
You're not the only one. I have also returned after a long hiatus. Anons waiting for an update will read your work even after time passes, but you might find additional motivation by looking within yourself and manifesting the vision you have for your work. You might find that helpful if your latest update isn't followed by reader feedback right away.

>>31108750
Glad to see Ao3 is still a hosting platform being used by people in this general. Its functionality as an archive has grown on me despite being unironically attached to FFN's community.

>>31112445
I miss the days when I could write that much on the fly. Now I have to pull all-nighters to accomplish word counts of that caliber. And yeah, second drafts really do bring out higher word counts for me as well.

>>31112049
Sometimes the creative mind needs to recharge a bit. Nothing wrong with taking breaks as long as you come back.

>>31117446
Gotta get ready for World Building Month!

>>31120524
>I'm decent enough at nonfiction, like reports and essays and stuff, but I also want to be a good fiction writer--that's the main reason I joined the writethread, really.
That's a fine reason to be writing fanfic. As you practice your writing, you'll improve twofold by having that non-fic background. Somewhat similar to exercising different muscle groups.

>>31121585
Keep at it!
>>
File: kkkkk.png (180KB, 579x800px) Image search: [Google]
kkkkk.png
180KB, 579x800px
I've emerged from my frozen-over hole in the ground to update.
First Contact: Chapter Three: http://pastebin.com/vTwUjm1c

I know not much happens in this chapter, and I was going to release the Chirstmas/New Year's special as well which is actually pretty much finished, but that involves a lot of things plot-wise from the next chapter which is not quite finished yet. Cheers all. See you next year (I can actually say that non-ironically now).
>>
>>31122239
They give higher word counts, sure, but the thrill of writing a chapter for the first time is entirely gone when you start making drafts. With the more vague framework I actually use to put my chapters together, shit happens that surprises me more than anything else, and thus pushes me along at a quicker pace. This is how I fast. Without that, I'm just staring at tiny sentences seeing how I could make them bigger, or trying to retcon in the little internal dialogues and events I need to make things better than they are. Rough drafts are free and floaty, they are where the story actually takes place before my eyes and averts my own expectations.
>>
>>31107706
>ToTT
Actually finish a story for once.
>>
So, any good, at least decent length, complete fics that are romantic between a human and a trainer? Like, not just boning the living daylights out of each other, but actually introducing romance and such.
>>
>>31124483
Human x trainer? L-lewd.
>>
>>31125500
Actually, I'd prefer something non-lewd, but if it has a good story with some lewdness, I'm fine with that, too.
>>
>>31125575
Stray is in-progress and focuses on a human-mon pair. It's on ff.
>>
>>31125777
Link? I want to make sure it's the right one.
>>
>>31125777
Trips can't be denied.
* ceege checks the comments
>it's all people voting if Clay should be a bottom or top, and hoping that they soon fuck to break up the boring.

Sure sounds like the dog's bollocks.
>>
File: 1482097823082.png (246KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482097823082.png
246KB, 500x500px
coil bump
>>
File: PRECHOOLER PISTONS ON.gif (1MB, 442x731px) Image search: [Google]
PRECHOOLER PISTONS ON.gif
1MB, 442x731px
xth for characters assuming betrayals that you would already know wouldn't happen if you played the respective game.
>>
>>31128387
He's got three heads! He must be evil!
>>
File: 1481101582595.png (173KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481101582595.png
173KB, 800x800px
I adjusted Haunted a bit (thanks cge) so I hope the whole work is a bit more cohesive. Dorian is now less hostile and more interested and confused, and Melia has been made a bit more textured and tragic. There's also proper lead in now so hopefully the reader doesn't feel thrust into the middle of things confused.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12267292/1/Haunted

I've never edited a work on a large scale post-publishing before (except for spell-checks and spot edits) so here's hoping it went well.
>>
>Planned on writing
>Spent the whole day wondertrading gibles
Least i got a HA rockruff with thunder and fire fangs.
Pic unrelated
>>
>>31126372
>basing your opinion of something on the fans
Why do you like pokémon again?
>>
>>31125862
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12223183/1/Stray
>>
File: 1326860754692.png (346KB, 640x555px) Image search: [Google]
1326860754692.png
346KB, 640x555px
>>31129310
That was a good read.

The cryptic message ended up coming together quite nicely, if a bit sad.

>>31107706
If I were to name any sort of resolution, it would be to hopefully not let my works sit idle for months and weeks at a time like I have in the past. Distractions are many and frequent, and drive to work can be hard to come by.

Here's to a good, new year for everyone.
>>
File: le N face.png (67KB, 205x173px) Image search: [Google]
le N face.png
67KB, 205x173px
>proofreading something so much that you have no idea what the quality of it is any more and you become unable to look at it critically
>>
>>31131558
>proofreading a dozen times
>still a few errors slip through
>>
I threw this together a couple mins ago. Thoughts?

It's lewd, so...just a heads up, I guess.

http://pastebin.com/fvbj30iQ
>>
>>31131709
>Big ass mistank
Good taste in pokemon. Smut was pretty good too, though I do love teasing the sleepy.

You got a couple of typos around though like missing words in line 5. Particularly I think you have too many unnecessary commas around. Look at them again and determine whether to remove them or reword them.
>>
>>31132111
I very rarely go back and edit old stories, mostly because I do it for free, whenever the inspiration strikes. But I'll keep it in mind for the future.
>>
>>31132163
>I very rarely go back and edit old stories, mostly because I do it for free
You're holding the quality of your writing for ransom?
>>
>>31132360
Ha. That's a very poetic way of putting it. But I can't imagine people caring that much.
>>
Disaster is here to strike again!!
Finally after all that illness n shit, I was able to work on another greentext nsfw lewd thing
Let's hope you guys enjoy it, I've just been lurking here for a while during that whole time, love ya pokewriters
NSFW
http://pastebin.com/3kUkMxra NSFW with waifumons and a salazzle, more of a comedic take, but still lewd
>>
File: Drives me to Drink.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Drives me to Drink.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Okay, today has just been a really shitty day, loaded with family drama, plans getting rearranged, nearly every minor thing that can go wrong has, and prom is tomorrow. Combined with how mentally dead I am...

I.... am not writing tonight.

I just want a Pepsi
>>
>>31134836
>Prom is tomorrow
What are you, some kinda pussy that actually goes to social events and hangs out with people?

Regardless, don't force yourself to write, and don't force yourself to feel bad about not writing. You don't see sprinters jogging in the mornings after hurting their ankles, do you?
>>
>>31134871
I'm just feeling bad in general, and not writing is adding a little to my mood. Bad day, sad song, something something, turn around there's a guy trying to anally rape you. Or however that song goes.
>>
File: 1482523563396.jpg (1MB, 1435x1422px) Image search: [Google]
1482523563396.jpg
1MB, 1435x1422px
>>
>>31134654
Well, at least your fic contains salazzle to make up for the common harem mons. Can't unsee glaceon joining the group, or replacing braixen because of that one meowth fantasy
>>
What songs do you guys listen to when writing?
>Played V-I-S-I-T-O-R-S while catching ultra beasts
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qQB2Sd1YWwQ
>>
>>31107706
>ToTT
>resolutions
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHA

Somewhat more wishfulthinkingly, I want to complete a couple of stories including a much needed rewrite of an older one.
Also I want to somehow acquire a couple buckets of money so I can travel to the US to visit a friend.
Also, woman.

>>31108357
It is hard to portray the evolution of madness, yes. Even some of the best directors have had issues with the result in movies on the subject. Madness in general is hard to work with, I guess.

I'm not sure I would say people like happy endings the better, not even close. Human psychology is just like that when it comes to suffering.

>>31108423
>Who is even going to care
Someone out there is going to notice you do care about your work, all of it. In my limited experience, people always somehow notice your oldest works and are somehow ready to give you word about it. Heck, I just got a request to work something in a very old story of mine, and I am seriously considering despite the ~5 years of almost complete abandonment.

>Ao3
Someone get me in there, I'll pay them in the souls and of their enemies now defeated, and their blood now forged into a sword using their meat as fuel.

>>31120607
This. Just as there is "you are what you eat" we can somehow say "you write what you read".

>>31131558
>proofreading alone
>several times
You are not doing this, are you?
>>
>>31136685
Just got into parappa the rapper 2's instrumentals recently. BIG is pretty good for me
>>
>>31134836
I'll let you in on a secret: prom is boring as fug. Unless you're a gril who can at least flounce around in a pretty dress and get your hair did, I highly recommend staying home and playing vidya like I know you actually want to.
>>
>>31122882
At least you're still alive
>>
>>31137010
>proofreading alone
>several times
>You are not doing this, are you?

I love dying and being dead. Besides I have no one who wants to muck through my 10k-20k word chapters with me lol
>>
>>31136685
while writing the Blaziken thing? A couple anime soundtracks. I listened to a lot of film soundtracks when I made BSTF.
>>
File: even guzma is afraid.png (27KB, 180x450px) Image search: [Google]
even guzma is afraid.png
27KB, 180x450px
>>31134836
ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI, JUST ONE PEPSI
AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME
JUST ONE PEPSI
>>
>>31135828
where's the hot gas percentage?
>>
File: 123125312412351234.jpg (986KB, 1769x1382px) Image search: [Google]
123125312412351234.jpg
986KB, 1769x1382px
>>
>>31140751
That's one cool phox.
>>
File: 58536884_p11.jpg (113KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
58536884_p11.jpg
113KB, 700x560px
http://pastebin.com/sbFVZUn6 (SFW)

I was going to post this a thread or two ago, but surprise surgery came up and the recovery period pushed it out of my mind. Regardless, any feedback is appreciated.
>>
File: 58910397_p11.jpg (370KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
58910397_p11.jpg
370KB, 800x600px
>>
>>31141296
Hope you feel better Seasons.
>>
File: IMG_0261.png (17KB, 527x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0261.png
17KB, 527x550px
>>31124483
There's a MC x Skull Grunt (Female) one.
>http://pastebin.com/qAdPm3Ys
>http://pastebin.com/SaYNdFy6
>>
File: 56759623_p8.jpg (42KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
56759623_p8.jpg
42KB, 600x563px
>>31142616
Thanks. It's been a week, so I'm getting to the point where I don't need painkillers anymore.

Hoping to start fleshing out an idea I had before break involving Heart Swap sometime hopefully soon.
>>
>>31141296
>>31142484
>>31142784
Absol a cute. CUTE!

Bump for
>Car broke down in the parking lot of a repair shop
This holiday season has just been a fucking weird mix of really good luck and really bad luck
[/blog]
>>
>>31139012
his made me laugh more then I should have. Thank you.
>>
Holy shit the board is moving fast today. Nobody has anything better to do on New Year's Eve?

>>31141296
Okay, now reading through everything, since you wanted feedback;

>At several points the narrative will either show or tell his thoughts immediately before or after his thoughts themselves are stated.
>A related point; some narrative details aren't super relevant, e.g. @25 mentioning he remembered to pack berries before he left. He's eating them, hikers usually provision, this needn't be explicitly stated.
>Minor ordering complaints, like some paragraphs could be merged/broken up or flow might be helped by rearranging the sentences within them.

I liked the story! It feels like it's geared up to be a lot more, just from its structure and the way certain things are handled; are you planning more? The Absol seems very intelligent and I'd like to read some stories about the more outdoors-types, for all the roaming trainers do it seem there aren't a lot that are in nature just to be there.

Also, it's funny, this story sorta like the opposite of THAT THING I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED FUCK

I hope you feel better soon! Glad you don't need pain meds anymore, those can be dangerous. How long's your expected recovery period?
>>
>>31144820
>Nobody has anything better to do on New Year's Eve?
It seemed that nobody had anything better to do on Christmas Day either.
>>
>>31144820
>Nobody has anything better to do on New Year's Eve?
What's to do?
>>
File: 58910397_p9.jpg (434KB, 1024x715px) Image search: [Google]
58910397_p9.jpg
434KB, 1024x715px
>ToTT
Haven't really planned on any specific resolutions, though I do want to procrastinate a lot less.

>>31144820
>True, though said thoughts also help elaborate on a few things, like the Ursaring's absence or the missing bag.
>I didn't want to accidentally pull a minor berry-ex-machina before and after the oran berries were introduced, though I can see your reasoning.
>That's a problem that someone mentioned with my first story, though hopefully the ordering is better than before.

After going through the effort of doing more world building (or what I hope amounts to world building) than my first story, I'll probably revisit it sometime if I get another idea for these two.

Thanks, though I'm not too sure how long the recovery period is supposed to be. I know it'll be officially over once everything heals over, so I just have to hope that it isn't too much longer.
>>
File: 58910397_p6.jpg (758KB, 1280x981px) Image search: [Google]
58910397_p6.jpg
758KB, 1280x981px
>>
File: every fucking day'.jpg (50KB, 477x359px) Image search: [Google]
every fucking day'.jpg
50KB, 477x359px
early merry happy new year i guess.
>>
>>31148400
Merry new year, Mist.
>>
First draft completed! After revisions thanks to a couple eyes on it beforehand, you all can get it, maybe on the 1st or 2nd. I'm surprised I managed to get as much work done away from home as I have.
>>
>identify major obstacle for the first chapter of a story
>it requires significant work on the character's part, aka character development
>because that's the very first conflict of the story if has to be stuffed into the first chapter
>worry that, while skimming over the character's struggles to overcome that one conflict, I'm not illustrating the most important parts, and am thus making it all seem inconsequential instead of monumental
>worry further that chapter 1 will be a behemoth due to this major conflict needing to be introduced and solved all in one, and the rest of the chapters will be noticeably shorter

>>31150097
H Y P E
>>
>>31150308
Why does it need to be resolved in the first chapter? If it's so big maybe it's not a conflict for Chapter 1, but Act 1?
>Hype
I hope you like 1k of smut buried in 16k of story
>>
>>31150308
Usually in a story the first part sets everything up. We should know and understand the main players going forward. Character development should be saved for the third act in a four act structure.
>>
File: what am i reading.jpg (24KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
what am i reading.jpg
24KB, 500x285px
>>31150661
>Character development should be saved for the third act in a four act structure.
I can't imagine being this much of a tight-ass about "structure" in literature. You want that every story oughta be structured exactly the same way? Where the fuck do you even come up with such a definite rule for something like that?

Fuck you, you made me angry just by posting your bullshit. Get outta here.
>>
>>31150661
This is if you're approaching your work as a very short piece. Establish, test, adjust, grow - how a person's character responds to pressing circumstances and/or plot. But if your work is long, your acts become longer as well, and s such it's less a matter of following this 1234, and more writing organic characters that change as the plot demands. Or resist change if that's their shtick.
>>
>>31150719
Seems like a reasonable point for development to take place. Do it too soon and you're changing a character who readers don't know well enough to appreciate the character growth.
Act 1: Introduce character
Act 2: Get to know character
Act 3: Develop character
Act 4: Showcase development and conclude story
>>
>>31150906
There shouldn't be any one point where "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HAPPENS HERE," though. Maybe there's a -focus- on it in a particular part - like Mass Effect's loyalty missions, for instance - but development overall should be a continuous process.
>>
>>31150661
>>31150493
Fug. I'm just afraid that my first chapter will seem aimless, like all the MC does is fret over something that won't be resolved for (what is actually for them) ages. I don't want to screw up the most basic form of pacing. Maybe I can split up the conflict somehow.
>>
>>31151248
>I'm just afraid that my first chapter will seem aimless
Does it have an aim?
>>
>>31151248
Perhaps it would be wise to read up on story structure, and maybe look at how some of your favorite movies or books pace themselves.

>>31150719
You can't exactly escape the need to introduce concepts and then flesh them out. All stories having them same structure can hardly be a sleight against them. However, the real depth in a story comes from how this is achieved. "The devil's in the details", as they say.
>>
>>31151248
I had the same problem. My first chapter isn't my initial idea for my story nor is it particularly interesting. But I felt it was necessary for character introduction and world building.
>>
Welp, a new year, new stories to tell.

Probably not gonna immediately post my story until after I get a few chapters of it done. Kinda thinking about doing that with certain "Sagas" and I use the term loosely. Basically, they're probably going to spend a few chapters in each region they go to, and it probably would just be for the best if I wrote the entire region in one go and split it up into various chapters along the way. Like, Johto, which is probably he most filler heavy out of them all, will probably be three, but I don't want to cut myself short, and it ends up being, like 8 (I really hope it doesn't end up like this)

The real problem I'm probably going to run into is that I have two stories I want to finish this year. One only has one chapter to go, and the other one has a chapter before one more arc. Both of those should come more naturally to me, thanks to Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 being a thing. Both of those stories are partially Sonic stories. Focusing on two stories is going to be hard for me, especially because they have nothing to do with each other, but I should be okay if I wait to post Ore and Lore (Fucking love that name. I forget ho suggested it, but I have you in my notes and will thank you when I actually post the story)
>>
File: image_1.png (305KB, 829x1123px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.png
305KB, 829x1123px
Well it's been new year in California for half an hour and whoops. Happy New Year /vpwt/
>>
Happy new year, all!!
Have a Disasterous year!
Disasters are blessings in my eyes [/spoilers]
>>
File: 1478358092768.jpg (80KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1478358092768.jpg
80KB, 1024x576px
>>
Happy new year bump
>>
File: florges is not a grass type.png (372KB, 900x736px) Image search: [Google]
florges is not a grass type.png
372KB, 900x736px
>>
>>31107706
One resolution: survive
>>
>>31154009
CHERISH KITTY
>>
File: 58910397_p7.jpg (682KB, 927x1280px) Image search: [Google]
58910397_p7.jpg
682KB, 927x1280px
>>
>>31155287
Maybe not, but Fennekin still resists your STAB.
>>
>>31153061
Next poll for your stuff when?
>>
>>31159459
When I finish the bird fic
>>
File: 58910397_p8.jpg (756KB, 939x1280px) Image search: [Google]
58910397_p8.jpg
756KB, 939x1280px
>>
>>31160394
What a qt.
>>
File: 1482548154510-trash.jpg (100KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482548154510-trash.jpg
100KB, 1000x1000px
>>31159472
Aw man, what happened to your Lurantis fic? I was looking forward to this one the most.
>>
>>31161306
It's noted in my ideapad, havn't put it up for a vote yet, I have 50+ ideas that havn't even been seen on the strawpolls, because I keep it to 5 ideas/voting at random
>>
>>31161328
That s a lot of ideas stored in. Seems like it will be a while to get all of them done. Good luck man
>>
>>31161722
It's why I don't promise anything for anons who request, some will make it, some will not make it, and for ones that do make it, it may take a good while, right now I'm trying to get myself semi-organized after the whole holiday sickness n whatnot, somethin like, bi-daily writing, each time I write get a fic done? I'm not entirely sure myself
>>
>>31161765
I hear you keep your ideas stored in a notepad. Think you can make a pastebin to make the idea list public? Who knows, maybe there are other anons here who can help relieve some stress from the liste
>>
>>31161915
I'm not stressed with having all these ideas though, having so many ideas/requests makes me more motivated to write, and ideas that I have, I want to write myself, to make sure the idea went through how I want it, requests, well, there are already plenty of requests in the ideabin here, so not really any reason for me to post my list of ideas, unless people actually wanted to see what I have listed down, but all in all, I'd prefer to write these myself
>>
Well it looks like my local cell tower has been blocked by 4chan. So this means my updates will be much more spradic.

Gues I have more time to go outside and freeze my dick off.

Curiosity chapter 5 is going along pretty good do far. Just need to get the second half finished and do some proofreading.
>>
>>31162029
Hyyype
>>
Prime beta-reader is going over firebird story now, it'll be up tonight if he decides no major revisions are necessary.

>>31162029
Happened to me too, it's bizarre. Do you have only brief windows elsewhere?

>>31162006
>commas
>>
>>31162384
[spoilers] only need to use good grammar in the fics, don't bother anywhere else [/spoilers]
>>
>>31162404
I'm too tired to do the spoiler command now, great
>>
>>31162417
literally just ctrl+s my guy
>>
>>31162384
Yeah I'm at a resturant siphoning a connection off of them.

That will be the only way I can say anything on 4chan until I move elsewhere.
>>
>>31162517
Aw, shit. Good luck with the writing at least.
>>
>>31162632
Yeah I got some good stuff to come.
>>
File: 1304571495129.jpg (178KB, 800x674px) Image search: [Google]
1304571495129.jpg
178KB, 800x674px
Question for all the writers:
How much non fanfiction related material do you guys read? I hear that a big part of getting gud at writing is reading, so I'm kind of curious, especially since I barely read anymore.
>>
>>31163776
If you haven't read it already, try reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Good shit right there.
>>
>>31163776
I read a lot. Mostly fiction but I'll read anything that catches my interest. Right now I'm working on 1001 Nights
>>
>>31163776
I haven't read anything nonfanfiction related in a long time. I think the last thing I read was Making Money. I should probably read the rest of Terry Pratchett's works, I really enjoyed Making Money.
>>
>>31163776
I try to read several novels a year (and I beat myself up over the fact I haven't read more last year).

You shouldn't think it's limited to books, though. Comics, television or anime series, movies, even some vidya all have their own conventions but are all still concerned with telling stories. Reading is essential but not exclusive.
>>
>>31163776
I've read quite a bit, but I could stand to read more. Got burnt out reading in uni, and in the three years since I haven't fully recovered. Been making my way through the start of Dragonlance recently and started reading some of ol' William's works that I didn't read for study.

If you're looking for a book to read I recommend Danielewski's House of Leaves. Easily a favorite of mine, and does a magnificent job being an experience. Shame that Only Revolutions wasn't as interesting.

Reading is important - it helps you identify things you like, things you don't like, and produces a reference for your own work if you're doing something in the same genre. You grow as a reader and writer and learn how to think about your own prose in new ways, as well as how to write prose in new ways.
>>
>>31163776
I used to read all the time as a kid, involving series such as: Wolf Brother series, Hunger Games series, Maze Runner series, Inheritance Cycle (Eragon series), Inkheart series, and a few other books, including my favorite, Hatchet by Gary Paulsen all the books that had movies made for them in this group, I read YEARS before the movies were even announced, which is rather funny imo
>>
>>31163776
When I find myself with time to sink into a book, I usually pick up a cheap romance novel from the library, hoping I can get through it as quickly as possible. The most recent thing I've read that isn't a retread of something I already read years ago is an English translation of a foreign internet novel.

tl;dr I'm an illiterate faggot
>>
>>31163776
I was a pretty prolific reader when I was younger, but nowadays I usually don't read for fun. Not because I dislike it, but rather because I have to read a lot for college and that's made me get tired of it. That said, I always read a little bit of some non-assigned book before going to bed. Recently it was Sherlock Holmes, now it's The Hobbit. But overall, I don't read very much anymore besides the books I'm required to read for my classes.
>>
>>31164156
>Gary Paulsen
Not trying to shit on your favorite author but his tone is dryer than Arizona. Middle school made me really sick of unemotional male narrators.
>>
>>31164575
He's not my favorite author, that book is just my favorite book i've ever read

Favorite author would have to go to either Suzanne Collins, James Dashner, or Cornelia Funke, although, havn't read much of their other stuff than just the book series I listed above
>>
>>31163776
I don't read as much as I used to but I still like to pick up fantasy/sci fi books from Barnes and Noble from time to time. If the books weren't so obnoxiously expensive or if I had a library anywhere near where I live I would probably pick some out more often.

What I have read has confirmed my belief that professional authors aren't magically better than fanfic authors (the good ones anyways), they just have better editors.
>>
>All this reading and books and important stuff
>The only thing I've read in the past few years was an original story equivalent of shitty teenage fanfiction
>I hate picking up books at all because then I spend time reading them
>>
>>31165905

I still don't get your aversion to reading other people's work. I believe that if you took the initiative to try some good ones there would be at least a few you'd find enjoyable.
>>
>>31166236
No, you don't understand. I don't dislike reading other people's work, it's not about that. It's taking the time to actually read something when I could be using it to do something else. I know that it's objectively beneficial to my writing, but I just hate the activity itself.
>>
File: Le Judge Face.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Le Judge Face.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>I still don't get your aversion to reading other people's work.
>>31166398
>No, you don't understand.
Yeah, that's sort of what he said
>>
>>31166654
So he did. It was a misplaced assumption, anyway.
>>
>>31163835
LOL
>>
>>31166398

I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of opportunity cost. However you could use your argument for literally ANY unpleasant activity that's ultimately beneficial. No, I don't like washing my laundry or going to the dentist because it's not an enjoyable experience, but I do it anyways because the long term benefit ultimately is worth the short term discomfort. In addition, reading can very easily be enjoyable in the short term AND vastly improve your writing and reading skills if you actually properly attempted it, so the argument that it's simply a waste of time is doubly not true.

If you were working 80 hours a week or not spending such an ungodly amount of time writing fanfiction and posting online, I could maybe accept this excuse that you have something better to do with your time. As I see it its only your own unwillingness to try something different that is holding you back.
>>
>>31167789
I'm not sure "try something different" is the right phrase to use there, but you're right anyway. I have no worthwhile argument against it other than the chore of starting.
>>
>>31167861

don't you see there's something fundamentally wrong with trying to write quality fanfiction without having firsthand experience with what quality fanfiction actually looks like? how do you have any ability to judge whether your own writing is as polished or readable as it could possibly be?
>>
File: shift mode.jpg (105KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
shift mode.jpg
105KB, 600x480px
>>31169475
Show me your quality fanfiction, bigshot
>>
>>31169529
>that old non-argument

>>>/deviantart/
>>
File: Vryheid_loves_to_recommend_fics.png (510KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Vryheid_loves_to_recommend_fics.png
510KB, 1024x768px
>>31169529
>filename related
>>
>>31169475
>How do you have any ability to judge whether your own writing is as polished or readable as it could possibly be?

It's not as if I've never read a fanfiction or book before. I sorta thought the point is that I'm never able to determine when my writing is as pristine as it could possibly be, though. I mean, I could go through several more drafts than I already do and fix and change it up every single time, but how am I supposed to actually complete anything without settling on something I am convinced is readable? And if /tg/ is a reliable source, I've technically been reading fanfiction this whole time.
>>
>>31169529

there's two ways of interpreting that request, either examples of what I consider to be quality fanfiction or examples of stuff I've personally written

if you're looking for the former (most people usually are) well I've already recommended a whole lot of quality fics on here, as examples of good writing I usually start with stories like Power Trip (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10483318/1/Pok%C3%A9mon-Mystery-Dungeon-Power-Trip), Game of Champions (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7354757/1/The-Game-of-Champions) and No Antidote (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4390479/1/No-Antidote) but I have upwards of 100 stories on my personal favorites list on ffnet (https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3920619/Vryheid), most of them pokemon related all of which I'd suggest trying out

as for what I write well there are some tidbits on there I've written in the past as well but these days I tend to stick to google docs because I've come to realize that I do much better trying to finish a story in its entirety before publishing than doing the typical weekly chapter format
>>
I finished that thing I was writing, about the bird and the girl and all that.

Wrapped in a Mystery [NSFW]
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9162976
Two girls out hiking come across an injured Blaziken, and while nursing him to health, they discover some quirks about him.

Feedback's always appreciated!
>>
File: Ledian.png (44KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ledian.png
44KB, 250x250px
>>
File: 1482480168342.png (13KB, 252x219px) Image search: [Google]
1482480168342.png
13KB, 252x219px
I'll give ch11 around 3 days minimum
>>
>>31171347
That was an interesting read. I enjoyed the character interactions and the mystery about Blaziken, and I'm looking forward to the story that this one is setting up.
The NSFW pairing wasn't my cup of tea; I don't have any strong opinions on it one way or another.

Since this is a poképhilia story that wants to be more than just porn, I can't help but read between the lines. From the information given in the story (and BSTF, considering it's apparently set in the same instance), we're working with the standard setup of Pokémon being property. That fundamentally changes the tone of the story; suddenly, the idea of the Blaziken becoming a trained Pokémon isn't a nice and fluffy extension of the sex scene anymore. The human party being seemingly unaware and unlikely to exploit her status due to her personality does not change that. I'm getting the usual vibe of the author not being aware of the implications. I appreciate that the story ended the way it did, as that at least delays the problem for now instead of leaving the implications hanging over the characters' heads.

What I'd like to see in the follow-up is more about how your world instance functions, and how Sierra's character develops. Given the timeframe stated, she's probably a lot wiser the next time we see her.
>>
Goombario's finishing that Hapu and Mudsdale thing soon, or so he says. I don't know if he posted it recently or not.

I saw some mentions in a previous thread along with some links, does duran STILL think he's sending him asks? G's tumblr doesn't even exist anymore.
>>
>>31175558
a couple of threads ago someone asked for goombario's tumblr, but some guy replied with a tumblr to someone else completely different.
>>
>>31174359
>and the mystery about Blaziken
I'm sure this will be less of a mystery to some readers than others, thanks to liberal application of a couple dogwhistles. If these stories are going where I think they are (but they might not!) then it'll get revealed anyway.

>we're working with the standard setup of Pokémon being property.
Two things here. One; I'm trying to stay close to canon, just with a bunch of extra little things thrown in. A lot of conventions there will be carried over. Two; I've been deliberately avoiding the legal aspects so far, but I doubt it's so simple as to call them 'property'.

I know that's not quite what you were getting at here, though. There's a lot of ethical questions that arise as well. BSTF touched on this juuust a little bit just by following a pokemon who didn't want to be caught. BSTF2 was supposed to go into it further, but I'm not sure what BSTF2 is actually going to be anymore, just that it will most likely exist. The story that all of these are converging on will be an excellent vehicle to explore it at great lengths, if I get there.

>>31174359
>delays the problem for now
The fact they carried pokeballs at all was actually a last-minute edition based on beta reader feedback, at first they didn't. I think this changed the story a little, and made its reception a little more unpredictable. My hope was the last scene hammered home a bit of Laide's take on pokemon versus Sierra's, but I can't be sure it came across well.

>What I'd like to see in the follow-up is more about how your world instance functions
If BSTF2 doesn't do this for you, I'm positive the project at the end of these converging roads will. It's a fun concept I've been thinking about for awhile on and off. The Blaziken here is the key to setting that story up. The next time we see Sierra is actually three or four years after the epilogue scene there.

Thank you for all the feedback! I hope my future stories can satisfy some of your itches further.
>>
>>31175665
>I'm trying to stay close to canon

Canon sees no issues with treating Pokémon as pets yet throwing in implications of sapience. (Bad writers see nothing wrong with that either.)

>I've been deliberately avoiding the legal aspects so far, but I doubt it's so simple as to call them 'property'.

Going off what canon portrays, that's exactly what it is. If your instance is different, I'm interested in how you handle things.
BSTF implies bad things for Pokémon who are too smart for their own good.

>The story that all of these are converging on will be an excellent vehicle to explore it at great lengths, if I get there.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. Good luck.

>The fact they carried pokeballs at all was actually a last-minute edition based on beta reader feedback, at first they didn't. I think this changed the story a little, and made its reception a little more unpredictable. My hope was the last scene hammered home a bit of Laide's take on pokemon versus Sierra's, but I can't be sure it came across well.

In the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant if Sierra is the "good owner", because the law and societal response trump individual feelings when it comes to the fate of lessers. Insisting that '[this trainer] wouldn't abuse their status because they're a Good Person, therefore the setup is perfectly fine' is the typical bullshit every lazy hack presents as a "solution" to the problem.

>>and the mystery about Blaziken
>I'm sure this will be less of a mystery to some readers than others

If the implication is mainverse/PMD canon-fusion, it better deal with the questions that arise. It's worldbuilding dynamite, but something great could come out of it.
>>
>>31175977
>In the grand scheme of things
If/when I explore it further, it will be by following the niches and exceptions as they interact with the norm. We already have one exception; BSTF gave us Alata. My next story will give us a second, by way of falling between the cracks.

Then again, my next story is going to probably make a lot of people mad. Some might even say I'm going back on my pseudo-canon stance, because it deals with a spot of armed conflict. I guess we'll see what happens.
>>
File: 524045.jpg (78KB, 364x516px) Image search: [Google]
524045.jpg
78KB, 364x516px
>>
File: 1473596000952.gif (202KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
1473596000952.gif
202KB, 500x404px
>>31171347
I quite enjoyed the read. Laide's character is a bit uninteresting, but that's more a product of her playing second fiddle to Sierra and fire chicken and more driving motion forward, and I suppose the plot as a result. Nothing immediately offensive sticks out, everything is presented well and mechanically sound save a few odd sentences here and there that have odd word choice or somewhat awkward structuring. I should have noted it down but they were few and fleeting so it doesn't really matter.

I won't grill you on the world, that other anon's done so and really it doesn't bother me much since it's probably not really in the scope of your vision of the world, and if it is, it'll show up in due time. If that little memento is hinting at what I think it is though, you've got quite a bit of work ahead of you.

Mild spoilers follow:
The six-year time gap was a neat little eye-opener and the lead-in you have for what's next was well crafted. You also did a great job creating sentimentality that wasn't sappy and bottled a small whiff of the old scent nostalgia, which is now going to sit next to me with a smug grin and leave a weird funk in the air until it finally dissipates. Put me down as interested as to what happens to Sierra, Echo, and unnamed spicy chicken.
>>
>>31171347

I've been eagerly awaiting this story since you first mentioned it, and boy howdy did you deliver. I really enjoyed it, but noticed a few immersion-breaking errors, in order as follows:

>She marveled at the rapid healing he displayed as he stood up with him in her arms, exiting the tarp shelter and setting off towards the water nearby with only a little limp in his step.

This should probably be "her in his arms"

>Laide almost felt like she was floating, until he looked away from her.

This should be Sierra instead of Laide

>After consulting her map and compass, Laude started walking back down the shoreline.

Laide is misspelled

Kudos on the names. They're very pretty without coming off as snowflakey. I also like how spicy chicken got mad when Laide saved them from the crawdaunt because he wanted to show off for Sierra/felt an instinctive urge to be The Protector to his mate and his mate's annoying friend. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it. Overall, great read. Really made my afternoon.

>>31175977
>Insisting that '[this trainer] wouldn't abuse their status because they're a Good Person, therefore the setup is perfectly fine' is the typical bullshit every lazy hack presents as a "solution" to the problem.

In the face of the law, what else is there to be done? I probably sound like a retard, but I've been battling for a solution to this dilemma, and I'm not sure if I've come up with a sound one in either scenario that focuses on it.
>>
>>31180445
>Laide
She was in a weird place triangulated between several factors I don't think I balanced too well, so I'm not surprised she came across as flat. Sorry about that.

>nothing immediately offensive sticks out
I guess my in-progress spot-checking on chapter-by-chapter releases is still not good enough that it can't be improved on but eyes on it beforehand.

ON THAT NOTE:

>>31181530
>a few immersion-breaking errors
Holy crap how did I miss those first two? Thanks a ton, time to patch that up right away.

>Names
Thank you, but I can't really take credit for coming up with them. They're actually two IRL names; 'Sierra' I didn't have to alter, and Laide is just the final syllable of 'Adelaide'.

>interpretation
Mostly accurate, but there's a further driving factor in his backstory which wouldn't be immediately apparent anyway so good enough!

Thank you both so much for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
>>
>>31163776
>I read:
>non fanfiction
>I thought it said:
>nonfiction

Like... what exactly? 1970's history books? Medical case reports? Technical treatises on the upcoming overshadowing of graphene by glorious borpohene? Today's newspapers?

Wow that would make a less interesting topic.

Back to the subject at hand, I haven't read long stories in a while. Have usually read tales, short novels, anthologies piecewise. But not things in the scale of El Mío Cid, not in a long while.

I do have my eyes on the Temeraire franchise among others, if for research rather than for love / retraining of reading.

>>31165905
>the argument up to
>>31169765
Mimiga, if starting reading a long work has fixed cost, what about getting into Let's Reads or Abridged stories? They may not be at the level of the originals, most of the time, but they will do reduce greatly your opportunity cost when deciding later if to read the "full" of some of the "short" you tried.

And comparing expectations about a story versus what the Abridged got out of it does make for very illuminating research on literary criticism.

>>31167789
>If you were working 80 hours a week
>16 hours a day if a legal week
>if accounting for home-work transit time, could as well be 18 hours

I know I've said it before Vryheid but the more time I spend here the less I can understand you.

>>31164553
>nowadays I usually don't read for fun […] because I have to read a lot for college and that's made me get tired of it.

That is a big factor in my situation as well, and is the reason why I no longer code or work in programming as a hobby, I already see enough computer-related crap at work.

Admittedly, it would be nice to find the "fun" again. But because we are not in a world that marvelous yet, recovering good things lost usually takes more effort than what they were worth in the first place.

Pro-tip: don't ever get a chronic illness. At least, not without selling the rights to the movie.
>>
Okay, I didn't write anything yesterday because it was my niece's birthday, and more family drama bullshit. Thankfully, I have Pepsi, now, so I can drown out my sorrows.

Jokes aside, I'm going to try and write tonight and catch up. Wish me luck.
>>
>>31182740
Type like the wind!
>>
>>31182694
>I do have my eyes on the Temeraire franchise among others, if for research rather than for love / retraining of reading.
A V O I D
>>
>>31182694
>what about getting into Let's Reads or Abridged stories?

I am also disinterested, but now I'm going to force myself to read a book I was supposed to read over a year ago soon. It only feels inviting when I treat it like an assignment to analyze the author's technique and style rather than actively trying to give a damn about the subject, though.
>>
>>31183052
>force myself to read a book I was supposed to read over a year ago
Won't you lose a letter grade for late completion of the assignment?
>>
>>31183729
Not if it's an assignment I gave myself. S+ all around 10/10 pretty good
>>
>>31183767
That could be a issue.
>>
>>31183767
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
>>
>Post LL Chapter 1 to AO3.
>Put the correct release date on it.
>Indexed on Page 344.
>Delete, repost leaving today's date on it.
The things I do for charity, attention, the lulz.
>>
>>31186174
It's not incorrect for that case. The release date is the date in which you release Don't need to feel bad.

(But do feel bad anyway)
>>
>>31181530
>In the face of the law, what else is there to be done?

Unless you're changing the setup, you simply can't frame it as romantic without it coming off as bullshit wish fulfilment. I can't think of any reasonable way that romancing/fucking your property is going to make the character come off as something other than morally repugnant or a race traitor to any discerning reader. (The opinions of readers who are just as lazy as the people writing that crap don't matter since they wouldn't criticize it in the first place.)
If you want a poképhilia story that can be taken seriously, you either break the world or you have the fact that it has these problems actually impact the story beyond idiotic cliches ("society bad because I can't dick my servants" as if that were the core issue) and cheap excuses (the standard "it's not wrong because Protagonist is magically above the law and society and nothing bad can happen; I, the author, know, because I said so").
The easy way out is to not have it be more than a porn fic; those can be mindless wish-fulfilment and it won't matter.
>>
File: image.jpg (697KB, 1050x1359px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
697KB, 1050x1359px
>Self insert
>>
>Go to the Pelago for maximum beans before starting Island 3
>Get the Egg Island and decide I want to work on 6 Eggs at once instead of just 1
>Go for Sandshrew, Passimian, and Poppolio
>The pairing is my Primarina and a Slowpoke because of Egg Moves (Curse)
>Imagine Slowpoke railing Primarina
>Want to read a breeding fic now
Please tell me there's at least one you guys know of
>>
>>31181743
>Laide is just the final syllable of 'Adelaide'.
It also means "ugly" in French, I believe.
>>
>>31187507
>character/reader

This rustles me to no end
>>
>>31182765
I typed like the wind and broke 10,000 words without even finishing a scene.

I'd say today's been a good day int terms of progress for me.
>>
>>31187232
So it's the issue that, even if the pokémon is the one making advances, the human is still the one with

1.) higher cognitive functioning to understand the benefits and repercussions of such a relationship
2.) legal ownership (NOT guardianship) of the pokémon specifically because of that higher functioning

Because it's apparent that pokémon are intelligent, but clearly not on the level of adult humans, any kind of romantic relationship under that legal ownership would be the human taking advantage of the mon?

Makes sense. I'll have to turn this over in my head.
>>
>>31190463
If Pokémon are at best on the level of human children, then you're not making it "legit" no matter how hard you try. In fact, making them objectively inferior in addition to legal inferiority only makes it worse. No one civilized will buy into that.

Even if you give Pokémon mental capabilities equal to or greater than those of adult humans (something a lot of poképhilia stories do, and something I would consider a requirement for making a serious poképhilia story work), as long as they are property (=> legally inferior to humans), the problem exists.
If you want to be realistic, it doesn't even matter how intelligent Pokémon are when it comes to legal and societal situations; it could be proven fact that they're fully sapient and the canon's system could still be in place, because people will create justifications for why the status quo is "correct" even if those justifications ignore observable reality.
>>
>>31190463
>>31190661
Or, y'know, just fucking mellow out. It's a fictional world with fictional monsters, you're sounding like Tumblr trying to figure out canon ages of Sonic characters so they can raid someone.
>>
>>31191187
>fiction doesn't have to make sense, author fiat is a good thing

Bad writing gets criticized accordingly. If you have a problem with that, go back to deviantart.

Mindless wish-fulfilment that tries to pass itself off as more than that is an example of bad writing.
>>
File: gentle persuasion.jpg (73KB, 283x350px) Image search: [Google]
gentle persuasion.jpg
73KB, 283x350px
>>31191187
>wahh stop criticizing fanfiction in the fanfiction criticism thread
Please leave
>>
>>31190463
>>31190661
The obvious solution is that Pokemon "ownership" doesn't really reflect how we treat pets in the real world. This is easily supported by various implications that Pokemon can't be caught unless they actually want to be and are fighting trainers to test their worthiness. This feeds a lot into evil teams using non-Pokeball devices to capture Pokemon, even in the games. Stealing Pokeballs and using the Pokemon presents a complication, but not an insurmountable one if it's treated as a case by case situation, rather than "all Pokemon stolen will obey the thief because Pokeballs." Trainers don't so much own Pokemon as Pokemon willing pal around with them in this situation, and being in a Pokeball isn't like keeping a pet in a cage.

But that only works if you're going to position the setting as a whole as lighter than some of the implications from the games and so on make it. ie. the problems we have with the whole "what if Pokemon are sapient thing" aren't really there because anything that might possibly be bad isn't actually working that way. Pokemon aren't captured by trainers like wild animals, they get accepted as a coach by them. Pokemon aren't always in dog fights, they're undertaking officially sanctioned and regulated competitive sports under their own volition and this is only a small portion of their total population willing to do so while others just pal around with their partners. Etc. etc. This goes for all kinds of human Pokemon interaction, not just sexual or romantic.
>>
>>31191317
If you still want/need some tension that the usual standby's of "but what about the master/servant power dynamic" or "the Arceus flavored Christians politely disagree," then you can ramp up the xenofiction and/or play with how humans and Pokemon have different perceptions of how their relationship works. I think the Wrapped in a Mystery author was vaguely going for this in how Laide & Sierra disagreed, since they brought it up. Maybe some trainers do view it as a master/servant or ownership thing and there's some abuse and denial on the part of the Pokemon like in real life (either in a romantic relationship or just plain old trainer Pokemon dynamics).

Pokemon themselves, even if they have human level sapience clearly never really have human like social dynamics. At best there's some sort of Big Man-like power structure, but mostly it never even approaches the most loosely organized kinds of human society. There's a big focus on Pokemon as agents of nature and humans as a part from both. There's some room for a narrative there. How do Pokemon view their place in human society? Do they care about their legal rights at all? Would a Pokemon just up and leave if it didn't like how things were working? On the flip side, what are the legal rights as understood by humans? Can other humans interfere if they think there's a problem? Do Pokemon have independent standing as agents in these laws? What are the expectations both parties place on each other as the baseline of social interaction? This is not to mention Pokemon's almost anarchistic levels of government on display in most media either.

It's very easy to slot stuff into Pokemon as "this stuff is happening, but over there where the games don't usually go" without really changing too much.
>>
>>31191317
>>31191329
A lot of valid points. Changing the setup to be voluntary in law and in practice is a solution, provided that the author is willing to put in the effort to make it work.

It should be noted that changing the setting to eliminate the problem is a lot more involved than it may appear at first, and the end result is almost guaranteed to violate a few main game canon aspects. (If only to shatter game convenience, e.g. there doesn't seem to be any evidence of captured Pokémon leaving trainers on their own accord anywhere in the main games.)
Canon doesn't quite settle at how the situation really is, but for all the idealistic implications, you still get neutral/friendly NPCs referring to Pokémon as possessions. (Down to crazy lines like "Without pokéballs, we couldn't be friends with Pokémon".)
Gen 5 really dropped the ball there; NPCs seem more focused on how Plasma taking away Pokémon would be bad for humans, with the Pokémon not being part of the question at all, and no one seems to consider the possibility of "liberated" Pokémon choosing to stay with their trainers anyway. Then you get Hugh, who at no point seems to perceive his 'stolen' Pokémon as anything but property, yet is framed by the game as a "good-aligned" NPC.
>>
>>31188918
I do remember reading a Dewott/whatever mienshao's evolution is called, it's on AO3 and Fanfiction.net, search Rated m ficus on ff.net or explicit on A03
>>
>>31192068
>mienshao's evolution
>>
>>31191456
>Without pokéballs, we couldn't be friends with Pokémon
I always read this as another implication that Pokeballs act as a limiter, something that allows Pokemon to not murderize people accidentally just by being around them. I think Cyrus outright says as much when explaining the Red Chain. The Pokeball has in general been discussed as emblematic of the bond between a Trainer and a Pokemon, though I've not exactly kept notes on where this comes up so perhaps it was all in my head.

One of the things that tends to come up a lot in the main games and media based off them is the lack of truly evil Pokemon. Whenever a Pokemon is doing something bad, it's because their trainer is the one giving the orders and Pokemon just go along. In the actual game, anyway. The Pokedex is full of all sorts of weird stuff that's hard to characterize that way. Even the Ultra Beasts get the excuse of "confused aliens that are too strong for our reality." Of course, in the Mystery Dungeon games none of this applies since the nature of those demands Pokemon villains.

Regardless, there's a strong theme of Pokemon being nicer and more agreeable than humans even with all the Gyarados tier stuff. Which is what I recall Gen V dealt with, though I should replay it since it's grown foggy in my mind. For a story this is fairly boring, but it can be played in a variety of ways. One is going back to the idea of differing expectations and desires. Perhaps Pokemon aren't really agreeable as a personality trait, they just don't disagree a lot when it comes to what humans want them to do. Perhaps they seek out similar people to themselves or they just want to have a human that can provide them with new experiences or knowledge, and they don't have any real care for humans in the way we consider "nice." The relationship is just personally working out for them in whatever way they need, so they don't cause a fuss otherwise.
>>
>>31191456
>there doesn't seem to be any evidence of captured Pokémon leaving trainers on their own accord anywhere in the main games
It's also worth mentioning that the Pokemon Village in Kalos is specifically described as a place for runaway abused Pokemon to find sanctuary and that they're specifically distrusting of humans unless they're shown to be good with Pokemon. Mewtwo's also hanging out there, and is the original example of a Pokemon not fucking around with Humans.

As for the Hugh stuff, I never read it that way, but more as trying to find the Pokemon that got stolen years ago for his sister, since, one assumes, they would've been close. It is interesting that Pokemon are often described as "stolen" and not "kidnapped." I'm not disagreeing that the series has repeatedly thrown up things that make it complicated to try and consider exactly how life works. This whole discuss comes from the fact that series often tries to play things both ways, though more so in the other media than the Gamefreak controlled games. Pokemon are animal like and often described in ways that indicate they're essentially pets of some sort in the games. N's whole shtick is played more like a mythical ability to speak to animals than being able to communicate with an equal species. But many specific examples or species are undeniably sapient in all canons. Then there's the food eating problems.

So, ultimately, you need to choose what to go with in these stories. Either you cut out the more objectionable implications to make things sit better. Or you don't, and end up being constrained into a very narrow range of story where Pokemon are both sapient and owned. Which itself doesn't fit with the way the games try to play the setting as a whole and directly clashes with some other bits of the canon when it comes to how Pokemon act.
>>
>>31192752
>I always read this as another implication that Pokeballs act as a limiter, something that allows Pokemon to not murderize people accidentally just by being around them. I think Cyrus outright says as much when explaining the Red Chain.

That's another bit of flavor text not reflected in the mechanics at all. Wild Pokémon are never extraordinarily stronger than trained ones.

I'm not a fan of that concept. Adapting it in a story runs the risk of trivializing Pokémon, potentially leading to crap like the "Pokémon battles are kiddie shit, real problems are solved with GUNS" anti-pattern.

>lack of truly evil Pokemon
>there's a strong theme of Pokemon being nicer and more agreeable than humans

Yeah, and that can easily become a problem. Making Pokémon too "nice" risks pushing a story into boring, cowardly wish-fulfilment territory; add sapience and you get a world more handholdy than the games; add poképhilia and you know it'll go nowhere worthwhile.
Asserting that Pokémon can't be evil is downright stupid, as it limits possible characters too much and shifts the tone towards the idiotic "nature good, humans bad" cliche.

>>31192842
>So, ultimately, you need to choose what to go with in these stories. Either you cut out the more objectionable implications to make things sit better. Or you don't, and end up being constrained into a very narrow range of story where Pokemon are both sapient and owned. Which itself doesn't fit with the way the games try to play the setting as a whole and directly clashes with some other bits of the canon when it comes to how Pokemon act.

I'd say that's a good summary of the central message of this discussion.
>>
>>31192068
>Mienshao's evolution

>>31192842
>[discussion] comes from the fact that series often tries to play things both ways.
>>31192962
>That's another bit of flavor text not reflected in the mechanics at all.
>>31192842
>Or you don't, and end up being constrained into a very narrow range of story[...]

I'm sometimes amused, in a certain way, by people finding issues with how to portray the messages of the franchise "because the games". The games are merely, and canonically, a limited interface to a view of the world, there's a lot of things there from levels to tiles to overworld sizes to even the language used, that one as a worldbuilder inherently has to overwrite with an assumedly "reasonable" version.

Much of the theme of "evil Pokémon" I'd say is not that there's not any of them, but that we do not *find* them evil. Most of the questionable or unpalatable actions Pokémon can perform are either painted as a mere normality of nature (eg.: predation, certain 'dex entries for pseudos), yet they can easily be implied to lead to nasty places such as caste systems if you add sapience to the equation and then just leave it at that. The limited engine of the games also prevents us from finding Pokémon that *can* be evil without recourse, as we are limited to a breadcrumbed path that only specifically and *explicitly* presents us with the "better" the Pokémon world has to offer except where the plot mandates otherwise, and the plot is still subordinated to the limitations of the *battle* engine.

Down the line, you don't need to

>directly clashes with some other bits of the canon when it comes to how Pokemon act.

, unless you explicitly *choose* to by limiting yourself by the flattest interface available / possible. And if that's the case, then why do you have any sort of *functional* police / law in the first place?
>>
Wow, this is quite the discussion. I guess I'll throw my two cents in on it, since I seem to have started it.

>>31192842
>Then there's the food eating problems.
I'd like to point out that a lot of this discussion is looking at a problem of it's own making, and this highlights it.

A lot of the stuff demonstrated here is NOT something upheld by official media, it's something the audience imposes in a vacuum as they default to their norm in absence of other indicators. The mental transition from one to the other is inevitable in a mature audience.

The problem with this tendency is that a world with pokemon alongside humans for as long as history's been recorded would result in very different moral, ethical, and legal systems. For all we know, in the pokemon world, it's NOT wrong to consume the meat of other sapients, or Harkness them up. The legal system is probably arranged to account for their presence, shaped as it was by said presence since its inception. But the franchise's official media never goes into detail in these spheres, so we fill it in with IRL copies whenever possible, and that's where all of these issues like 'pokemon are property' arise thus. Two possible directions:
>This isn't true, but we've never been placed in situations where we could see the differences
>This is true, but 'property' is defined and/or treated differently in their world than ours
etc.

I don't mean to say the reader is wrong to do things. It's the writer's responsibility to make clear the exceptions to expected norms while writing, and part of writing for a more mature audience is recognizing this need. I just haven't gotten to the point I've had a good opportunity in my works yet, since I've always written about what the franchise would consider fringe cases. BSTF handled a pokemon who didn't want to be caught and a man who owned pokemon but didn't train. This story followed a trainerless pokemon, and two humans who weren't trainers. Future works will have this opportunity
>>
pokemon is difficult to agree on what a "good" setting is for a fanfic because there are so many conflicting canons

seriously if you look at any other fandom like harry potter or metroid or star trek or whatever there's a very clear media form that fans generally give precedence, not so with pokemon though. some people say the anime is right while others say the games. with people who try to analyze the lore on a deep level you get a third group who say neither media form is a sufficient interpretation of the "real" Pokemon world due to perceived logical inconsistencies, and that the "true" canon is somewhere else entirely

personally I tend towards the latter interpretation but I try not to discriminate
>>
>>31193919
"harkness them up"

the only harkness I know is the android from fallout 3 so please explain what you talking about
>>
File: 6jp4DVK.png (229KB, 1051x1393px) Image search: [Google]
6jp4DVK.png
229KB, 1051x1393px
>>31194097
Jack Harkness is a character from Doctor Who and spinoffs who is notorious for fucking anything willing with a properly-sized hole. His surname is where the name of the Harkness Test comes from. (The character could have originated the test itself, but I'm unfamiliar with the man and barely familiar with the franchise so I wouldn't be able to say)
>>
New Year, Old fic.

Its in spanish btw

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11663371/1/Johto-Gold-Silver-y-Crystal
>>
>>31189772
>character/reader
Wait... as in what, second-person meta shipping?

>>31193919
>The problem with this tendency is that a world with pokemon alongside humans for as long as history's been recorded would result in very different moral, ethical, and legal systems. […]the franchise's official media never goes into detail in these spheres, so we fill it in with IRL copies whenever possible, and that's where all of these issues like 'pokemon are property' arise thus.
This. So much this.

When you want to develop more deeply for the Pokémon world you have to remember it is simply put not our world, heck, clearly its humans aren't even our humans, and that'd be the minimum assumption that people start up with.

Up to the point where you have to "make clear the exceptions to expected norms": assuming is (more or less) right, projecting is not.

>>31194740
Bueno.
>>
Bunp
>>
>>31194943
>Wait... as in what, second-person meta shipping?

Yes. It's either in second person or third person using an alias (or literally just referring to you as Y/N). It fucks me up so bad.
>>
>>31194740
you sure like posting this fic here, don't you?
>>
>>31187507
>>31197312
>self inserts
>reader inserts
>"play this youtube link during this scene, it's what I listened to while writing it XD"
You can't even copy-paste from FFN.
>character is a singer, so make them sing and stick a big block of lyrics into the work.
I'm not sure if it's worse when they use some top 40 song or try to write their own.
>high school fics
>pokemon revolution
>find out halfway through chapter one that the characters are all actually gijinka
>legendaries are gods and hold meetings to determine the future of the world but wait it's actually high school level politics
>legendary adopts human and gives them super powers or transforms them
>pseudo novelization that adds to and changes the story - abandoned as soon it hits original content
>watch the entire world suck the main character's dick because they're such a flawless mary sue (80%+ of adventure fics)
>SYOC
>>
As a result of this discussion, I'm now trying to trace back the development of human civilization and hypothesize how pokémon would have developed alongside it--not in the sense of pokémon merely being additions to human society and nothing but dangerous brutes in the wild, but assimilar (arguably equivalent) creatures that humans would have found mutual benefit in working with from very early on. Like Man's Best Friend 2.0. Looks like I'm starting with the evolution of Homo sapiens.

Of course, we still can't anticipate how humans and pokémon would have come together over the centuries without actually knowing where we want to stand on how sapient pokémon are. This just brings us right back to where we started. Canon contradicts itself, and if your story is going to be anything serious, you have to pick a side. As a sinnohfag, I'm gonna follow the library archives and flesh out the "pokémon and humans used to marry" bit.

The only way for interspecies marriage to be an ethical practice would be for pokémon to be of equal sapience to humans. However, as discussed, pokémon are not directly equivalent to humans. Now we'd be working with the "alien mind" concept, that I believe one or more of our regulars have discussed in the past. In short, I'm choosing to portray pokémon as having the same intelligence as, but different instincts and inclinations, than humans.

Of course I could completely change my mind tomorrow. I've already done so too many times to count after joining the writethread. You people produce some excellent food for thought.
>>
>have an idea for MC x Courtney idea
>don't know how to classify Courtney or portray her outside of being a weirdo
>>
File: haw haw haw haw.gif (338KB, 538x572px) Image search: [Google]
haw haw haw haw.gif
338KB, 538x572px
>>31198836
Them's the breaks when you try and write something sensible with a brainless waifubait character.
>>
>>31198642
>You can't even copy-paste from FFN.

create a bookmark with the following as the URL, then click it to allow text selecting
>javascript:(function(){(function(){function%20allowTextSelection(){window.console&&console.log('allowTextSelection');var%20style=document.createElement('style');style.type='text/css';style.innerHTML='*,p,div{user-select:text%20!important;-moz-user-select:text%20!important;-webkit-user-select:text%20!important;}';document.head.appendChild(style);var%20elArray=document.body.getElementsByTagName('*');for(var%20i=0;i<elArray.length;i++){var%20el=elArray[i];el.onselectstart=el.ondragstart=el.ondrag=el.oncontextmenu=el.onmousedown=el.onmouseup=function(){return%20true};if(el%20instanceof%20HTMLInputElement&&el.type=='text'){el.removeAttribute('disabled');el.onkeydown=el.onkeyup=function(){return%20true};}}}allowTextSelection();})();})();
>>
>>31198642
>>31198901
Or, toggle off Javascript.
Or, use View Source.
>>
>>31198875
I don't think she's brainless

I just think she is legitimately autistic and I don't know how to write that
>>
>>31198836
well she is a weirdo by default. You could just either wing it based on her ORAS personality and imitate what she may do, or use her RSE counterpart personality instead.

So far only bully anon attempted to write about Courtney, with the guy trying to fix that weird talking thing of hers.
http://pastebin.com/YC4VCDru
>>
File: IMG_0424.jpg (189KB, 1300x974px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0424.jpg
189KB, 1300x974px
>>31199644
>Just think, the air that touched my wiener is touching her fun tunnel right now!
>>
>>31199914
No offence to the author, but there was some pretty weird things in that fic, I'm not sure if it was intentional.
>>
>TFW you've been playing too many games instead of writing, even though you should write

Welp, this is a predicament, anyone have any tips of breaking me out of this prison?
>>
>>31200739
Open notepad.exe
>>
>>31200784
It always fades away into the background of my Pc, where Overwatch sits in front ;-;
>>
>>31200839
Stop running TF3.
Right click Notepad's bar, select Always On Top.
>>
>>31200887
But it's so addictive
>>
File: 1482905552256.jpg (82KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
1482905552256.jpg
82KB, 640x428px
>>31200739
>tfw you've been writing too much instead of playing games your friends wanted you to play

The inverse doesn't feel much better. I want to like video games.
>>
>>31200908
It's such a hard balance between the two to keep
>>
>>31200906
>But
Stop.
>>
>>31199644
>well she is a weirdo by default.
Pretty much. She's like a more emotive Egon Spengler.
>>
>>31200954
I can't
>>
>>31200981
Force it.

Use a shotgun if you have to.
>>
>>31201021
Damn, now that's brutal, and if I shot my pc, I wouldn't have anything to write with
>>
>>31201038
There's always pen and paper.

In any case, you'd be using the shotgun to hold yourself hostage.
>>
>>31200981
Then clearly you don't want to write, ergo you shouldn't write.

Go frag noobs.
>>
>>31201055
My handwriting is beyond bad, I can't even read it

I'd chicken out too early with the shotgun and hold it hostage at the end of the day with the pen
>>
>>31201098
I suppose you could just uninstall Overwatch

Make sure to make a backup first.
>>
File: cross pumpkin.png (421KB, 691x681px) Image search: [Google]
cross pumpkin.png
421KB, 691x681px
>>31201098
Stop making excuses and inflating the post count. Write, or don't. It's not our responsibility to motivate you.
>>
>>31201113
Overwatch will be uninstalled when my Pc is pried from my cold dead hands
>>
>>31201135
So we're not allowed to have a bit of fun conversation? got it, way to be a Debbie Downer
>>
>>31201155
Why are you writing in this thread about not writing when you could be writing fics?

Troll less, murk loar, thanks
>>
>>31201187
Because I've been in the past couple threads for a while, lurking through em, have made several posts/fics in these threads, and thought I'd just have a little fun chat, along with askin if anyone did have any serious tips getting out of a rut, don't see any reason why we can't have fun chatting in here along with writing fics/feedback n whatnot
>>
>>31201240
It seems less fun conversation and more forced unwillingness to try and spark a one-sided conversation where you exclaim what you've been doing and how difficult it is for you to concentrate, except that it's spread out over many smaller posts rather than a few large ones. You've been given the answer to your question handily, which is to simply not indulge in the things that distract you at times you want to write. Disconnect your internet if you need to.
>>
>>31201343
I was responding to others, but I see your point, I was having fun talking with people, but I guess others don't like it, which I'll stop then, and thank you for those tips, and making them more clear, as I didn't see those at first, and thanks for the last tip

I apologize if people didn't like those more rapid responses.
>>
>>31201402
There's usually no harm done unless you never upload anything again. I mostly just self-deprecate in these threads but I'm pretty sure my steady content updates allows most to turn the other cheek instead of actually whipping me around. It's a writethread island in the middle of a shitposting ocean, we gotta do what we can.
>>
>>31198642
>>31198901
Just change

www.fanfiction.net

for

m.fanfiction.net

>>31201135
While it's not our responsibility, this is the writersthread where you are supposed to come when you have some sort of problem and need help.

>>31201402
If what you want is to talk to fellow writers, and well let's avoid the post inflation, well, there's the IRC.

Don't. Just close it. Delete the bookmark, even.

Then go back to writing.

>>31198799
>Of course, we still can't anticipate how humans and pokémon would have come together over the centuries without actually knowing where we want to stand on how sapient pokémon are.

Actually, depending on how "prehistoric"-like you want to go, you barely if ever need to worry about that part, there's basically no way of doing it wrong unless you tryhard for Farla points. The thing is, Canalave myths or not, those events must have occurred so far in the past that there have likely been several iterations of "First Contact", which eventually build up a sort of theme, allowing the subsequent generations in both sides to bootstrap the process much faster and much more precisely (assuming they must have wanted to).

You could have the first Arcanine-ancestors have approached sparse human settlements attracted by the food, and after fighting away the ever so random wild Zangoose competitors, they get food and pats in exchange. And that works just as well with mostly non-sapient Pokémon as with sapient ones, you just need to iterate and aggregate the process over X number of generations and something akin to cohabitation will emerge organically.

(cont)
>>
>>31201850

>>31198799
>interspecies marriage
>ethical aspect
>same intelligence as [...] humans
Mind (heh) to define what you mean with intelligence here? At the crux of the argument of what would make interspecies relationships ethical on a per-species view lies the fact that you need those species to not only understand the concepts of lineage and heirloom at a societal and biological level, but also be able to plan ahead around them.

For example, a species that allows their members to marry and commit to members of another species have chosen to accept that those members become dead ends to the genetic continuity of their species and maybe to some aspects of legal and social continuity as well (here property and heirloom enter the discussion).

That is, unless both sides of the relationship are willing to accept the as *equally ethical* the right of those individuals to still try to fill their genetic and social opportunities of continuity, for example via polyamorous relationships, and probably communal noncommital nursing (mothers raising the children no matter if they are theirs or not, or even not knowing which child is of what parent).

And that is even before factoring if cross-breeding is even a possibility.
>>
>>31199144
If you're going for the autistic thing, just run through some conversations while keeping things like

>doesn't understand other people might already know certain things
>doesn't pick up subtle or non-literal social cues
>doesn't understand the logic of certain irrational actions (ie. consciously avoiding doing something you need to do or avoiding certain topics)

in mind. But also remember it's best not to make her a check list of textbook autism. Courtney, in ORAS at least, has something of a malicious streak and seems pretty happy engaging people in battles for "analysis." She also doesn't come across as socially awkward as some autists and is pretty comfortable in her leadership position. I'd prioritize playing her along those lines, rather than forgoing them to stick to the usual autist story bits.
>>
>>31201958
A lot of societies don't consider the genetic lineage of their various lines on an individual basis. Obviously, to a great degree lineage is very important, but in the scale of individual lives you see a lot give and take depending on things like patrilineality/matrilineality, order of inheritance, polygamy (and the rarer polyandry), and so on.

There are frequently marriages where the potential genetic lineage of a person is essentially written off for more immediate political and social benefits. You send one your dudes off to some other people so their group and your group are now "family," with all the things that come with it. On the other hand, the people who are taking this person in very much want some sort of kid to come of this, and in the future the two groups will be working with each other based on the lineage that came from it. If you've got a spare person lying around, you're unlikely to care about their potential kids, and someone might not want them specifically for children either. This is fairly rare, though not unheard of throughout humanity.

For Pokemon, it's highly likely that any sort of human/pokemon relation would be very rare for those reasons you've stated. Any sort of kid is unlikely with anything but the "human-like" group at best. Pokemon themselves can't freely interbreed with any Pokemon, aside from Ditto. The Sinnoh legends have intermarriage, but stop short of saying anything about children. And in any case, they are ancient myths. We have such stories about humans and animals in the real world too.

So any relationships/marriages are probably restricted to very specific situations and/or extenuating circumstances much like real world instances of relationships unlikely to or that will never produce any kids (known infertility, homosexuality, etc.). There's also situations of chastity in general to point to, like various religious occupations.
>>
>Ctrl+F
>No malasada
>>
File: tumblr_oj4wgqr7ap1ug9uz6o1_1280.png (2MB, 1280x1115px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oj4wgqr7ap1ug9uz6o1_1280.png
2MB, 1280x1115px
>>31202749
I've got a malasada for you, big boy
>>
>>31202844
>I have special eyes...
>>
File: 1475931989243.png (384KB, 1024x705px) Image search: [Google]
1475931989243.png
384KB, 1024x705px
>>31198642
>legendaries are gods and hold meetings to determine the future of the world but wait it's actually high school level politics

I was actually thinking of writing something related to that but with Arceus showing the concept of mega evolution to other legendaries and being confused why everyone is horrified by it. And it'd mostly be black comedy
>>
File: 1479660168713.png (12KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1479660168713.png
12KB, 540x540px
Page 8 bump
>>
File: FUCK morgan.png (183KB, 510x643px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK morgan.png
183KB, 510x643px
>tfw you planned on trying to fix up your current story in order to post an update before the next thread but ended up playing games all day instead
>>
File: pokemon trainer arrested.jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon trainer arrested.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
>>31194186

"consent" isn't good enough, said consent also has to be informed and willing. if a pokemon doesn't realize they can say "no" without consequence or if they say "yes" without understanding the consequences of a human relationship then they're being manipulated or misinformed to some degree in order to say "yes" which isn't a-ok in my book

this is where a lot of these "poor oppressed pokephilia loving trainer" stories begin to fall apart and why these degenerate trainers need to be sent to the gulags
>>
>>31205013
>>legendaries are gods and hold meetings to determine the future of the world but wait it's actually high school level politics

variations of this concept have been done many times before and while I don't find it particularly amusing it does seem to garner a decent amount of popularity on ffnet
>>
>>31205013
>high school level politics
Can someone elaborate on this if it's possible? Does that mean silly drama things or something else entirely?
>>
>>31208499
I'm going to assume petty, shallow emotional driven conflict and drama. Lots of things people think seem like interesting dynamics but are really characters being short sighted, self absorbed assholes, possibly thinking with their genitals.
>>
>>31199983
I think it was intentional to an extent. In his Malva story he said sonewhere that he likes making male protag creepy/creeps.
>>
>>31207238
>what-the-fuck-did-i-just-read.exe
>>
File: 1479668163183.jpg (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1479668163183.jpg
114KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>31198469
Yup
>>
Human on Pokemon is my fetish
>>
File: 1309460116932.jpg (245KB, 425x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1309460116932.jpg
245KB, 425x1050px
Where does creativity strike you the most often?

I have gotten a lot of my story ideas while driving, but usually it's sometime where it's inconvenient to start writing.
>>
>>31212755
>Where does creativity strike you the most often?
Creativity doesn't strike me!

I fell down the stairs.
>>
>>31212755
Right when I'm about to fall asleep
>>
>>31212755
Seems to strike me more often when I go on walks, though this forces me to keep it in mind until I get back to my laptop. It's a shame that it's pretty chilly outside for them.
>>
>>31212755
Right in the gonads.

>>31210744
You could have made a New Year's Resolution to migrate to better doggos. :p

>>31206964
At least you got to play games.

>>31212929
>>31212942
You do have your pen and paper with you, yes?
You should.
>>
>>31212992
Typing notes into your phone is a fine option too.
>>
>>31212755
Before I shower, without fail. I've sort of just stopped questioning it. I thought it was supposed to be while you shower, not before.
>>
>>31212992
I usually don't bring much with me on my walks, though I guess I could try to take something to write with on my next one.
>>
File: tumblr_ohzwatgwPl1u7wa8xo4_1280.png (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohzwatgwPl1u7wa8xo4_1280.png
29KB, 600x600px
WIP, critique me so far if you could

http://pastebin.com/3vu7EuGV
>>
File: tumblr 2012.jpg (27KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr 2012.jpg
27KB, 540x405px
>>31207238
>>
>>31207238
>thinking blatantly sapient creatures can't understand they can refuse something

I think 'muh poor oppressed pokephiliac' stories are stupid too, but don't be regarded
>>
>>31214387
>only the left would oppose poképhilia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rassenschande
>>
>>31214417
They said "without consequence".

With most pokephilia stories, the pokemon in question is being trained/owned by the human, so there needs to be a distinction that the romance isn't something they're obligated to participate in because they're the trainer's pokemon. At least that's what I think they meant.

Also, the 'oppressed pokephiliac' stories may have been over done (I agree, and chose to omit that kind of angle from my own work) but it's an easy train of thought to go off when writing, as it's almost too easily drawn from real-world perspectives on interspecies sex (outright taboo). I personally don't think it's too outrageous to think that pokephilia would show up in the pokemon world to the point that it may become at least mildly accepted, but not outright thought as commonplace, but that's not the point.
>>
File: smut and fluff.png (44KB, 340x750px) Image search: [Google]
smut and fluff.png
44KB, 340x750px
>>31214165
>Line 3: "really" and "she" can be joined with a semicolon. Also, try to not start sentences with conjunctions.
>Line 13: Not sure if this is the best use of "stoically" unless you specify that Feebas is being the stoic one.
>Line 31: Awkward usage of "skull" in my opinion. A simple "head" could do, maybe mentioning the elongated part of it for detail's sake.
>Line 35: I'm still working on Pokémon vocalization in my stories, but there's almost definitely a better onomatopoeia for Skarmory than "bark". >implying birds are dogs

Not bad so far, though I can't remember Dawn being so emotionless.
>>
>>31214763
In regards to Line 35, I was more going off of the usage of the word when humans speak (he barked the order out), but I'll change it anyhow.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Wanted to do something unique with the character I suppose, contrast the 'friendly' rivals that have become commonplace
>>
>>31214793
Yeah, I figured that when double checking the definitions of bark, but it still rubbed me the wrong way for whatever reason.
>>
>>31214708
In my efforts to make it something that exists in at least one part of the world (Sinnoh) I have had a deluge of questions leveled at me. I'm extremely grateful for it, because it's required me to write out a lot of explanations and come up with systems and ideas about how to respond to a variety of the issues that crop up, like ownership, sapience as it exists on a series of stratum, and, well a lot of shit. It's getting more fleshed out as more questions arise and it'll probably never be completed since infinite situations to examine exist, but God damn if I'm not trying to cover everything I can.

Incidentally, in my pursuit of how such a thing affects a region, its systems and everything else under the sun, Sinnoh has become batfuck to the outside observer. And I think that's appropriate. But something could crop up and change it all around again. Fucking hell this shit is involved.
>>
>>31214165
I enjoyed it, but the kiss was a little jarring. Friends can be touchy-feely and still not want to fug.
>>
File: delete this one.png (179KB, 720x437px) Image search: [Google]
delete this one.png
179KB, 720x437px
>>31215895
no
>>
>>31215895
>>>/anywhere-else/
>>
>>31215873
then they need some alcohol to fix that
>>
>>31215934
reminder that this is fluff we're talking about here
>>
>>31207238
>>31214387
I don't get the "lol, tumblr" on this one. Sounds like a common sense thing and Vry does in his usual style. What's ever to lose.

>>31214702
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rassenschande
I'm admittedly impressed that we managed to bring the Nazis into this.

Then again, it's Year 1 After Trump. The Nazis are already everywhere.

>>31215873
2/10, made me check link
>the invite is invalid or has expired

In other news I've already set up my 'verse wiki and it's going on smoothly, I mean, it doesn't 502 Bad Gateway anymore. So after I populate some of the meta, I'll be back to writing, I'm outlining what my Valentines fic will be like.
>>
>>31216388
You set up a wiki to catalog your universe?

Fucking hell man, that's dedication. I just have documents.
>>
>>31216415
Technically, I've set up a wiki to centralize and catalog the blog(-like thread), charts, boards, docs and chatroom talks I have about my 'verse.

After it's more definitively launched, it will become my author profile and portfolio in the Pokémon fandom too, because keeping [X amount of] author profiles in different sites, with different publications for each, is chaotic.
>>
>>31212755
The moments before I go to bed but not while actually inside covers. It's there I contemplate not new stories or ideas, but bricks I could add to TMoM to make it seem more lively or thoughtful than it really is. At times I will spring up from my bed and rush downstairs in my underwear to try and preserve an unimportant change I probably wouldn't have remembered next morning, like changing a word to something vaguely close to a synonym of it just for better accuracy.
>>
>>31217273
I get a lot of ideas in the strange realm between full alertness and true slumber, but I have a notepad app on my phone so I don't have to pull up my computer.

...If you write pen and paper first, why not just have a notepad nearby?
>>
>>31217449
I'm not the only one that uses my room, I can't turn on my lights. And I want to preserve the idea in its purest form in the final draft, anyway.
>>
>>31217536
You can get a lighted pen with an LED in the tip.
>>
>>31217608
Or you can go whole hog and just turn the PC back on. I may have dark as fuck circles under my eyes for it and being generally abusive to my sleep schedule for years now , but I'll be damned if I let a bedtime thought pass me by.
>>
>>31217873
That's what it means to be dedicated.
>>
>>31212755
Often, whenever it's inconvenient. I rarely get ideas when I'm actually focused on writing or planning. Most of the time they come to me right before bed, or at random times throughout the day and night.
>>
>>31215873
The point was kind of to end up lewd fluff, heh
>>
File: 58910397_p0.jpg (688KB, 965x1280px) Image search: [Google]
58910397_p0.jpg
688KB, 965x1280px
>>
In case any readers are here, I may be posting my weekly chapter this week.

If not, expect it tomorrow.
>>
>In case any readers are here, I may be posting my weekly chapter this week.
>weekly
>this week

Duly noted, congratulations for sticking with the program, and thanks for the tautology, I guess!

No, seriously, hearing that people manage to keep their pace and plans is always good.
>>
File: 1266725650660.png (210KB, 843x694px) Image search: [Google]
1266725650660.png
210KB, 843x694px
>>31221768
It's all a sham, actually.

I already have more than 42 chapters and such up on another site, (which, if readers are impatient about wanting to read ASAP I'd be willing to link them) but I'm posting them to Ao3 after doing some revisions to them weekly (some are very old and due for a nice tune up). I'm hoping to get some new readers interested in my stuff, since in the near 7 years on the other site, I only received 16 comments on my main story.

There'd be no way I'd be pumping out chapters on a weekly basis. I'm hardly able to keep it monthly. Though this year I'm going to work on at least writing consistently, and not worrying about releases so much.

Also holy shit I can't believe I did that "weekly weekly" slip up

It'll be posted tomorrow. We seem pretty dead at the moment.
>>
>>31221920
Once the new thread rolls over, I'll probably post my newly finished chapter to be proofed as well. Not dead, just really dormant.
>>
>>31212755
When I'm looking for porn or can't decide what to fap to.
>>
>>31221920
>I'm posting them to Ao3 after doing some revisions to them weekly
>hoping to get some new readers
Precisely the same as what I'm doing with LL.
>7 hits
Hopefully you'll enjoy better results than my experiment has so far.
>>
I threw this together about an hour ago. Lilligant getting NTR'd by Tsareena.

Critiques are appreciated.

http://pastebin.com/Ru5tYb6y
>>
Okay, so I'm about to start another writing session, but I'm feeling out of it for some reason. Hopefully I can just get through it.

>>31212755
Creativity strikes me all the time. Actually trying to USE said creativity is much harder. My routine is that I take a shower to clear my head and think of the scene that I want to write and then get that down.Sometimes I get more then I want done, other times not so much.
>>
File: 1478808422718.png (77KB, 353x322px) Image search: [Google]
1478808422718.png
77KB, 353x322px
My new years resolution was to learn to draw and I've been following through, but I just realized that if I keep up with it as a hobby I'll have even less time to write. My productivity is cutting into my productivity.

On the bright side, drawing is much easier than I expected, which makes it easier to stay motivated to practice.

Late night bump.
>>
>>31223040
one big thing: Whenever someone else talks, hit the enter key. It makes reading dialog worlds easier when it is not concentrate in one big block of a paragraph
>>
Just thought I'd gauge interest on this before I continued it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12308540/1/Training-Your-Color-Guard

Summary: Five years after the disappearance of her brother and former Nuzlocke Champion, Penelope Blue hires her own personal bodyguard, Helena Rhodes, to accompany her on the dangerous and possibly deadly path towards the same end: become the Nuzlocke Division Champion and find her brother, Anthony. (A rough draft story updating as frequently as possible).
>>
>>31223040
posting it here too just in case

It is highly recommended to separate dialogue with an enter key to keep things neat and tidy for the reader, like so
http://pastebin.com/769zn1tr

A for the story, the way she talked shit about the lilligant and how she remained in control over her and the trainer to an extent...was absolutely divine. It is rare for an NTR to get such level of attention to detail and I love every moment of it, and the whole reason for katie's cucking is pretty damn fitting for someone of that personality.

With the way you shamed her, I think you might even be up for rape stories too, but NTR is a pretty strong start. Hope you do more!
>>
>>31225709
>>31225242
I actually did know that, but I'm very lazy when it comes to writing. I almost never go back and proofread my work, or spellcheck, mostly because I take requests on the fly and want to get them done as soon as possible before the thread 404s. But reading your modified version of my story does make it much easier, so I'll try to keep the dialogue notes in mind.
>>
>>31224942
>drawing is much easier than I expected
how can this truth?
>>
>>31226618
The way I see it, you can tell a good from a bad drawing a lot easier than you can tell good from bad writing.
>>
Also get down there you dumb old thread. I need a fresh one to post this in.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyJOK4NKveFD98ryAtWZE_oeCbDDAHW5fcV7EIMz6iI/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: Day 5 - Torchic.png (237KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Day 5 - Torchic.png
237KB, 1920x1200px
>>31226618
I can't hand draw a straight line, but it was pretty easy to figure out the basics of how to draw neatly in GIMP, even with a mouse. The hardest part is figuring out when to use all the different tools. I've been doing one drawing a day since new years and some of it's starting to look decent despite not having artistic ability whatsoever before.
>>
>>31228231
New thread. Someone do the recap since I'm not gonna scan the thread to separate new stuff from updated stuff
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.