[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Season 1 vs others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

>>29290910

I think there were both elements of the unconnected and episodic, and long-lasting themes and narratives.

We had the EOTW and people we would never see again.

We also see Ash grow into a more competent trainer, he and Misty grow closer, and he and his Pokemon bonding.

I think the new anime, despite the "Action" is missing some element of real world grit, like an abusive trainer leaving its weak charmander to die. They still had material needs, like Misty and her bike that she likely paid for with her summer money, and Pikachu's urgent injuries that required immediate attention. Yes, property damage was a thing that they found problematic as do we. There were street punks, war veterans, and thieves both grand and petty about. The dialogue seemed more real, more natural. The emotions seemed to follow a regular human pattern- sad, happy, angry, confused, frustrated, what have you- exaggerated a bit of course for a kid audience.

Every Gym Leader oozed with backstory and intrigue, from Surge to Erika to Sabrina.

Is anyone else with me or am I just sperging out a bit too hard?
Is liking Season 1 genwun pure nostalgia or do you think there is some merit?
/autism
>>
OP faggging it up some more

Hell, the Titantic/ Poseidon parody Adventure episodes were a fun little filler (that also led to changeups in Team Rocket's pokemon and introduced a recurring secondary character) that contained some elements I don't think appeared in later seasons
>Scheming Pokemon merchants
>Large scale organized crime Pokemon heist
>Ship sinking, everyone at risk of imminent death
>Threat is something real-world and external, not pokemon or from internal group weaknesses
>Selfish and clueless captain in the face of everyone else's lives in jeapordy
>Everyone-for-one's-self scramble to the life boats
>Police in formation saluting and playing taps for the supposed non-survivors with a flower sendoff to their watery graves
>Thoughts of actually eating Pokemon
>Pokemon abuse (James kicking Magikarp)
>Large scale pokemon revenge to the death, everyone at risk of perishing yet again in Gyarados' Dragon Rage

Some episodes had some dark shit without being overly edgy, because they were compensated with "yay teamwork! Friendship!" and a bit of humor.
>>
Debating the merits and demerits of a children's cartoon as if the seasons were the works of Shakespeare is laughable.
>>
>>29295569
They had more liberties, since it wasn't suppose to last this long and had the bases of the 90/early 2000 japanese shows, which were a lot more crazier, nowadays they have to be more careful with what they include and meet international standars of kids shows because it's gonna be aired all around the world.
Also ofcourse it had a lot more of heart put into it, it was something new and it had so much potential and kids loved it, now because there's so much control over it and has to be planed to meet deadlines for movies and new gens and stuff like that it harder for them to do what they want
>>
>>29297113
Shakesperes a faggot,
>>
>>29290910
Jesus fuck that is one retarded nostalgiafag
>>
>>29297113
I am no writing expert but i know writing for children is way harder than writing for adults, specially if its a story oriented show instead of random humor
>>
>>29295773
Literally every season has something similar to this. Even garbage like BW.

Ffs XY had onscreen heart attacks and deaths from old people
>>
>>29297618
There's just more restrictions, that's it. Now even more so
>>
>>29297618
>I am no writing expert but i know writing for children is way harder than writing for adults

Harder doesn't make it better. They simply have more restrictions.
>>
>>29295569

Season 1 is written when Pokemon was still considered truly anime. It was also written like the other anime of the late 90's when action and adventure were everything. People spent more time with each other and the story is focused on the journey itself rather than getting from one point to another. Things were dirty and life was natural. Pokemon today is written for a more global audience and has taken a different route from its anime roots. Pokemon is anime but in a soft inoffensive way. Pokemon is clean and not just in content but even the world of itself is spotless and tidy. There are no struggles, there are no big enemies to fight, there is no big goal to attain.
>>
>>29295569
The director of the time had a much darker vision for the Pokemon anime, with Ash's dad having abandoned his family and being a failed trainer, or the series finale supposedly being a Pokemon revolution led by Pikachu and Meowth being an ambassador - they pretty much had much more free reign. Years of conventions hadn't bogged down the show yet. Eventually it kind of fell into a rut where Ash was designed by committee and wasn't allowed to have the same personality as he used to, sort of like Mickey Mouse becoming a bland hero. The whole anime pretty much became like that.
>>
>>29298054
>actually thinking this
>Shudo being a good director
>being a hotheaded kid =/= a lot personality
>>
>>29297972
Why do you write this shit when you have literally no idea how it looks today? Ffs a guy tried to nuke the world 3 episodes ago and got killed for it. How the fuck is that not a big enemy?

Pure garbage you're writing.
>>
>>29298255

Well the thing is it is a character trait that is common in anime especially for the 90's. What is supposed to happen is that a hot blooded character is supposed to be ignorant and arrogant when they start the journey but as time goes on they mellow out and become competent. Pokemon is different because it never happened as planned but instead happened over time, 2 generations later.
>>
>>29297972
>There are no struggles
Except you know, a guy that wants to use infinity energy to blow up the world...
>there are no big enemies to fight
Except a huge corrupted legendary pokemon driven on an unlimited energy source...
>there is no big goal to attain.
Except being the strongest trainer in the world as it has been for the past 20 years...

Do you actually think your fancy writing could cover the fact that you have literally no idea what you're talking about and is pure bullshitting?
>>
>>29297972
Have you actually watched anything passed season 1?
>>
>>29298255
I never commented on the quality of the original ideas, I was just talking about why it seemed somewhat different.
>>
File: 1304814204869.png (12KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1304814204869.png
12KB, 500x500px
>>29298321

Compared to everything else we have seen, no. We didn't know about Giovanni until later in the series and we didn't know about his plans until the movie. The guy was out of sight out of mind until the last second. Then the writers fucked it all up in the anime, games and Origins got it right. We had Pokemon that could destroy the world with their presence like Mewtwo and the legendary birds in the 2nd movie. Other enemies have threatened to destroy the world with other means like in DP with time and space itself.
>>
>>29298518
Are you seriously bringing up the movies when we talk about the anime? And how the fuck is blowing up the whole world after a lot of episodes going into developinh it not bigger? It's bigger than Giovanni and Mewtwo by a huge margin. Actually watch it before spouting bullshit you don't know anything about.
>>
>>29297113
You seem fun.
>>29297645
Eh I sort of feared that it was a bit of my confirmation bias
>>
>>29295569
Well, I agree there was a warmth and a thirst for exploration and intrigue that's not around anymore at least.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.