[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: 32428.png (115KB, 746x588px) Image search: [Google]
32428.png
115KB, 746x588px
[ROM HACKING]

Notable ROM hacks: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx

Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Gen 4 - 6 Hack Tools:
http://pastebin.com/WvTzcdPR

▀▀▀
[ESSENTIALS]

Essentials Engines:
http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD

Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
http://imgur.com/a/CiudS (WIP Gen 5 tiles)

▀▀▀
[SITES FOR SHARING GAMES]
http://www.pokecommunity.com/ (better for ROM hacks)
http://reliccastle.com/forums/ (better for Essentials games)

FAQ:
>"Can someone inject this Pok-?"
>>>/vp/ekx
>"Sage-"
Sage is still under development, albeit slowly.

Before asking questions, check the links above.

Will this thread survive? Ediiton,
>>
Foist!
>>
Anyone know a good guide on making a custom world map for Fire Red?
>>
For those interested I'm doing a beta of my essentials game over here
>>28373743
>>
Hey guys. What good hacks are there for DPPt era of games?
>>
What size should my town map be for an Essentials game? I've tried rescaling it but that fucks up the colors and i really don't want to make a third map.
>>
cool!
>>
File: nlirCZM7.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
nlirCZM7.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>28373913
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT!

DOORS DOORS DOORS DOORS DOORS!
>>
File: Rom hacking fags be like.png (109KB, 224x765px) Image search: [Google]
Rom hacking fags be like.png
109KB, 224x765px
I see that there isnt anything against essentials in the op anymore
>>
>>28379181
Don't kid yourself, there's still nobody who thinks Essentials is actually good
>>
>>28379181
>>28380374
As a complete newbie to all things rom hacking, what is so bad with Essentials?
>>
>>28380688
It's easy to use. You may notice that this isn't actually a bad thing, and you would be correct. The great thing about Essentials is anybody can make a game. The problem with Essentials is EVERYBODY can make a game.
>>
>>28380688
>>28380756
Piss-poor optimization.
Can't have normal map connections without lagging.
>>
>>28380688
Sturgeon's law.
>>
>>28379181
>>28380374
>>28380892
This general has lost all value. It's more only about complaining and shit talking essentials than getting into discussions about good fan projects, or any tips on making a hack or essentials game. Sure I hate essentials too but this general gone to complete shite.
>>
I think the fact that you can import music without needing to deal with Sappy's noncompliance outweighs any issue about Essentials.
>>
>>28381376
>generals gone to shit
>only like 10 replies
>most replies in this thread are just talking about why people dislike essentials for completely valid reasons
>>
>>28381453
I'm talking about whenever this general pops up it is mostly all I see. Whether valid or not it doesn't change the fact that it's growing like fucking cancer on your ass.
>>
I asked in the previous thread but got no answer, so I'll try asking again, but does anyone know how to change the opening-closing animations of doors in Emerald to work like in Fire Red/Leaf Green?
something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPShnpnqdlg
>>
So, I take it the legends about the doorfag were real
>>
File: comfy.png (76KB, 511x410px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
76KB, 511x410px
>>28374876
kek died overnight. I'm gonna try again, since I can be a little more proactive with posting during the day.
if anyone wants to check out a 95% completed essentials fangame head on over
>>
>>28383317
How is its difficulty?
>>
>>28384453
It's not too hard, but there's some difficulty. I've been using my own personal experience, and watching friends' streams to try and find a good balance. I nerfed a lot of the Pokemon League recently and gave the player the option to get a lucky egg as well. There's a good level, but it's not perfect.
>>
>>28384598
Alright, I will try it later then (still beating another fangame)
>>
>>28381376
>shite
>>>/who/
>>
>>28383317
>Ecruteak trees
My nigga
>>
>>28379181
They removed a pro-Essentials line from the OP, though. I consider that an improvement.

Polished Crystal 2.0 is out, with a hotfix for certain bugs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24474628/polishedcrystal-a72c920.ips
>>
Just got GameMaker through Humble Bundle. If I know how to code, am I better just stealing Pokemon resources and making a ripoff in GM than trying to mess with hacks and stuff? I'm working on another game in C++ but I thought a GM game would be a nice side project
>>
I have been playing with this idea in my head for a game called "Pokemon Emerald 2". It's kind of inspired by B2W2 but for the Hoenn games rather than the Unova games, of course. I'm kinda stuck at, I don't really know how to do any of this stuff to actually bring this to life. It is going to be a GBA hack since, for the most part, the game is going to feature the same region. Is there like a good place to start?
>>
>>28387536
If you want to do the same as Black and White 2 did for the originals but for RSE you first have to really dissect the distinctions between BW and B2W2. From the very obvious changes to every detail as much as possible. Then use that knowledge that you have acquired and think of how it would fit Hoenn. But before that you also have to consider the GBA's restrictions and know your boundaries before doing any of this.

For example what I think of first when thinking of what B2W2 did was change the main leads, make the story a continuation after the originals, change the routes and add minor places in the region, and updating what was already established like how cities look. There's a lot but that was what comes at the top of my head.

Your hack doesn't need to be one for one like B2W2 though. The game doesn't need to start off in a brand new town and routes then continue into the main region if you don't want it to. You just need to understand the logic of what the creators were thinking when making B2W2.

I hope this helps as a starting point and I'm sure you'll find out more things along the way.
>>
>>28387925
I have a good chunk of the story down honestly. Basically, the starting area is very much inspired by B2W2, it's an island south of the Route 132-4 area with 3 towns, 2 gyms, 2 routes, and even a ranch-like dungeon (though this is open for discussion). Then you go from the 2nd gym town to Slateport, where you first meet the new evil team, who wants to do something with Rayquaza. The journey takes a much different path, the 3rd gym will still be Mauville but the 4th will be in Rustboro, the 5th is still Petalburg, but the 6th gym is in Lavaridge. The rest of the game's path is pretty standard, you'll still be required to go to the 2 cities whose gyms are no longer open (those being Dewford and Mossdeep, again this is open for discussion) to stop the evil team from doing stuff there I'm thinking they want to do something in Granite Cave (think of how Granite Cave acted in ORAS) and the Space Center respectively. Anyways, the point is, the story is not my hurdle here. I really have no idea how to even make a hack, is the issue. I don't know how to script edit or make completely new routes connect to other routes. So, yeah. Any thoughts?
>>
>>28388083
If you want to know how to make any rom hack you should follow this guys tutorials it goes really in depth on almost every aspect that conerns rom hacking.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfI5DBI4tNyLBYGNhf1Ee8cgdmMtiilps
>>
>>28385470
That honestly might be the absolute best rom hack out right now. Maybe barring Gaia.
>>
>>28388326
It's pretty good but still needs work. I'd argue Red++ is a better "vanilla+" hack than Polished Crystal, but I also concede that Red++ has had more time put into it and Polished Crystal isn't complete yet so we'll have to see how things are in the future.
>>
File: image.jpg (458KB, 1200x746px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
458KB, 1200x746px
if this is a bad question I'm very sorry:

But I just want to be able to get my preferred team of level 1's at the start of Alpha Sapphire so I can use them throughout. I used to do this with an action replay, but I doubt my DS action replay works on a 3DS.

Is there some way to hack them onto there? Or something? Again, I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask.
>>
>>28373913
Is there an hack that don't have grinding or a hack that pushes you to have some kind of team strategy instead of just picking Pokemon by types?
>>
>>28388418
there's nobody who'll help ya here, this is for making games. ask the breeding general or find someone who'll insert them for you
>>
>>28388362
Fair point. Red++ is extremely great as well, I might've been blinded by my love of gen 2 for a bit.
>>
File: SDL_app 9_9_2016 5_44_09 PM.webm (14KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
SDL_app 9_9_2016 5_44_09 PM.webm
14KB, 640x640px
>>28385634
Think I might say fuck GM and try to make a small Pokemon game in C++ because that's what I know

Experimenting with an idea: using pixel value replacement to randomly generate colors for every Pokemon encountered from a single bitmap file. Not stupid red, black, and pink shit, but subtle variation to make each one unique. Should be doable but I think the hard part would be saving them
>>
>>28389069
Doing the same thing with SDL+OpenGL. Map editor, loading, and saving is just about the only things i've done so far.
>>
>>28389069
>Color variants

Might be neat, sort of like Spinda.
>>
File: SDL_app 9_9_2016 7_41_36 PM.webm (35KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
SDL_app 9_9_2016 7_41_36 PM.webm
35KB, 640x640px
Starting to have some success

>>28389412
Yeah, I'm using SDL too. Not OpenGl though. I have some tilemap stuff from an earlier project but that's about all I think I can use from it
>>
So, I'm the same guy that wanted to do a sequel of Emerald earlier in the thread. What's the best script editor? Also, how exactly do I go about creating completely new maps without deleting other ones? (if that's even possible)
>>
File: Make Doot Great Again.jpg (210KB, 771x645px) Image search: [Google]
Make Doot Great Again.jpg
210KB, 771x645px
How do I contact the Clover guys?
>>
>>28392385
why the fuck would you want to
>>
>>28392555
Because I want to DOOT
>>
>>28392385
#pokemonclover on rizon, iirc.
>>
File: SDL_app 9_9_2016 9_02_29 PM.webm (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
SDL_app 9_9_2016 9_02_29 PM.webm
174KB, 640x640px
Last post I promise

Experimenting with weighting different colors based on how different their hues are from the most common color on the Pokemon. That should allow for more diversity in accents, like Pikachu's cheeks, while still keeping most of the body a similar color. It's obviously not perfect, since right now you end up with a lot of two-toned cheeks due to the shading. It probably won't be as radical as green or blue cheeks in the end, either, but just a bit more variety
>>
For someone who will own gen VII but hasn't played any before, should I hack my competitive pokemon since legit breeders have a 20 year headstart?
>>
>>28392993
>>>/vp/ekx
>>
>>28385634
using gm:s, c++ with libraries or basically anything that isn't rpg maker gives you the edge of having much more control over the game feel, the essentials games feel same-ish as far as i've seen
good luck with your endeavor, anon
>>
>>28392993
What >>28393025 said, but everyone will re-breed for Gen VII if it has its version of the pentagon (something that marks it as being from the current games). I still recommend injecting if you don't want to spend dozens of hours breeding.
>>
>>28388362
>>28388326
There an ETA on Polished Crystals, well, polishing? Been waiting to try it out.
>>
>>28393480
Well V2.0 came out a couple days ago, and 2.0.1 came out after I made that post (it's mostly the hotfix I posted but I think it has a couple extra bugfixes). I haven't played 2.x yet and my experience is based on 1.1.2, but I'm going to wait until 2.1 or 2.2 come out just because the 2.0 update added some new bugs and not all of them are fixed yet (the one I keep hearing about the most is the new Nuzlocke mode will randomly toggle itself on; this just means Pokémon can't be revived until you toggle it off, since it doesn't release your Pokémon or delete your save file or anything, but I'm still going to hold out for a bit).
>>
>>28392958
I like it, anon. Maybe a bit more diversity in the primary colors would be cool, but certainly not so much that the end result looks completely different from the original.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.