[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 759
Thread images: 188

File: when you make.gif (17KB, 295x322px) Image search: [Google]
when you make.gif
17KB, 295x322px
cancerous memes edition
Previous thread >>164603458

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
File: Cudal.png (72KB, 172x222px) Image search: [Google]
Cudal.png
72KB, 172x222px
cudal
>>
1st for elfs
>>
Whats the goal of this game? Or your goal
>>
>>164964878
Make the most epic fortress ever..
And try not to restart it every 5 minutes
>>
>>164964878
!!FUN!!
>>
>>164964878
my goal with dwarf fortress is that some day I'll become so good at it that Toady "the lazy frog" 1 will notice, visit and congratulate me
>>
>>164964878
>>164958424

>>164965078
the closest to that in normal circumstances is being active on the forums
Toady has thanked me many times and has answered my questions
He even laughed at a joke in one of the questions
>>
>>164964034
Can I start learning how to play with the basic game and nothing more?
>>
>>164967159
Yes, but i recommend that you have the wiki open in a tab, so you can look up things you don't understand during play.
>>
>>164967159
And the wiki probably or just ask dumb questions here
>>
>>164967369
>>164967375
Okay, before starting, what's the different between the basic game and the starter pac in the OP?
>>
>>164967505
I believe the starter pack gives you access to some tilesets a bit easier and probably includes other utilities when they're up to date, I just play the base game
>>
>>164967505
Starter pack includes a UI for changing some settings that you have to change by editing a txt otherwise. Apart from that, it comes packaged with some other third party utilities that you can easily get elsewhere.

Basically, the starter pack offers a crutch that will prove counterproductive in the long run. It adds no functionality to the game, since all the settings can be changed elsewhere, and since all third party utilities can be downloaded separately. It does, however, make a lot of players unable to play without it, meaning that they often have to stick to obsolete versions, even when newer ones are available.

Now is a great time for you to learn playing the vanilla game. You can try the starter pack out afterwards if you like, but it's best to learn the base game first, since that will give you a better understanding of the game.
>>
>>164964034
oh sweet lord, DFHack alpha for the latest version and it includes a dwarf therapist
the game just became a lot more accessible.
>>
>>164967505
this>>164968196

it's better if you avoid therapist and dwarfhack at first, otherwise you might turn into one of those faggots who are completely unable to play without it
>>
File: GreetingMockup.png (103KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GreetingMockup.png
103KB, 1920x1080px
>>164964878
Make crazy shit happen, see crazy shit happen, tell others about crazy shit that happened (in game and on here), explore, create, dig, die, start again.
>>
>>164968196
This 100%. The starter pack doesn't do anything you can't do yourself, I learned to play on the starter pack and was surprised how little it actually did once I switched to vanilla.
>>
>>164968196
>>164968540
>dwarf fortress purists actually exist

No, the base game is not worth playing over the starter pack. The starter pack includes DFhack, which is absolutely vital for those rare cases when an underground spider or a kea man get stuck in a tree and make the fortress you've been working on unplayable because you get 2 fps. There's also a therapist-style job enabling/disabling UI included in the pack that is ingame, allowing you to bypass mostly what therapist offers so you don't need to tab out every time you want to manage mass jobs. The only thing you need therapist for is to see which units make the best soldiers. Armok Vision is another great utility as it allows you to see your above ground fort in all its three dimensional glory.

>but it's best to learn the base game first, since that will give you a better understanding of the game.

This is just horseshit, there's nothing in the pack that removes elements or makes them more obscure. If anything, the utilities in the pack will allow you a deeper understanding of the game. I had no idea dwarves had their own strength/toughness/agility/endurance till I used therapist, and there's absolutely nothing in the game that would tell you this information either.
>>
>>164970616
>and there's absolutely nothing in the game that would tell you this information either

Let me correct this, there's absolutely nothing in the game that would tell you this either if you don't enjoy reading your 100 dwarf's descriptions and manually writing down and keeping track of which dwarves have the best soldiering stats. And even then, unless they're exceptionally bad or good in one of these stats, the character description screen won't make note of it.
>>
>>164970616
>If anything, the utilities in the pack will allow you a deeper understanding of the game
Did you even read my post? I wrote that the utilities are easy to get elsewhere. I am NOT an anti-utility purist, I just don't want to rely on a useless middle man to use them.

All of the other shit you described is part of DFHack, which can also be easily installed without Starter pack.

Your argument boils down to
>Starter pack is necessaty because it has DFHack
My question is: why not just install DFHack, then?
>>
>>164970616
>I had no idea dwarves had their own strength/toughness/agility/endurance till I used therapist, and there's absolutely nothing in the game that would tell you this information either.
This is also total BS. Their attributes are described in their thought screens. If you missed that, that's a shortcoming on your side.
>>
>>164970616
Most of your issues are not issues at all. I play without dwarf hack just fine.

Managing jobs efficiently is also part of the game.
>>
File: 1466843301704.jpg (193KB, 1024x692px) Image search: [Google]
1466843301704.jpg
193KB, 1024x692px
>>164970616
dfhack isn't even stable yet and about the only thing I like it for is remembering menu position
>>
File: VectorCurses+1.png (43KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
VectorCurses+1.png
43KB, 384x576px
>>164970616
See this: >>164971261

I get the "muh vanilla purity" stuff, but there are things that I like doing and having access to and like more than the way vanilla does them. Similarly I build my own dfhack off the dev branch and swap in my own version of numerous scripts/keybinds/etc.

The starter pack value is in the little interface window to make a lot of stuff easier for people who don't default to working through a terminal on another screen.

It's the same reason I keep a link to the kde file browser, I can locate and open and edit files through the konsole window I always have open, but some things are easier to drag/drop/click/identify visually than it is to mv/rm/ls/tab completion at times.
>>
Having some trouble,

I have dwarves with wood hauling and wood cutting turned on, and I have trees set to be cut down, but all my dwarves just sit there and idle.

I have a wood stockpile and I don't have any orders to not carry wood

I have crafted several iron axes
>>
>>164972905
With the LNP and whatnot you get the little window that lets you click a button and swap tilesets, launch with dfhack, change basic settings, etc, all without having to pull up a text editor and know the right tags and whatnot for all the shit in the folders.

(same with not just using command line all the time, mostly because dolphin has the little preview icons for my df screens and pr0n, the screens I can TellByFilenameUsually, but I've got too many 720p_1454593.mp4 type vids to keep track of without seeing the thumbnail/previews)

>>164973273
They aren't set in military squads or in burrows are they?
>>
>>164973450
Nope, haven't messed with either of those yet.
>>
>>164973273
Are your iron axes properly stored? Sometimes if your goods are still in the workshop that made them and not in a stockpile your dwarves won't use them. I believe this happens when you have a stockpile that is inaccessible. Your dwarves queue up the job to take the finished product to the stockpile, but since they can't get there they never finish the job. Since the job never gets finished, other jobs requiring that tool never get started. So my real question is do you have an inaccessible weapons stockpile somewhere? If you don't have a weapons stockpile at all, you should make one.
>>
>>164973450
>>164974068

Actually, something weird is going on

I put some axes into the blacksmith , but they aren't getting made, and the queue clears, no message or anything.

Same with the woodcrafter, nothing gets made but it was working earlier.

I do have a weapons stock.

I notice nobody walks over to the smith shop, but I have the labor enabled on everyone
>>
>>164974384
You've got the bars and fuel or magma right?
>>
>>164974540
...fug

OK, don't have those, but I can't even make a training axe, it disappears from the queue without being made as well. What am I missing there?
>>
>>164974693
logs, presumably
but training axes don't work for cutting down trees as of 43.03+
do [z], go to stocks, see what weapons you have. The standard embark includes 2 picks and 2 axes.
>>
About to embark on my first game. I'm following the wiki's Quickstart Guide and it says it is quite important that I look for a place that has no Aquifer. Why is this? I've found a place that matches with everything the guide wants (even the optional stuff) but has an aquifer.
>>
>>164974956
Copper picks and 2 crossbows.

I am, however, running version 40
>>
>>164974693
hey man, that shit happens.
>>
>>164975061
Mostly because the quickstart guide is written for cowards. It's just somewhat tricky to get below an aquifer for the first time, but you should learn how to do it.
>>
>>164975061
The easy-mode way to find out: they flood your fort

The fun way to find out: just try it and find out
>>
>>164975061
My first time punching through an aquifer took me over 3 hours, and I felt I was already an experienced DF player. It's nice if you want a challenge, but if you're just starting out I imagine it will be a horrible experience. Also, an aquifer is a layer of stone that infinitely produces water on the tiles next to it. If you embark right on top of an aquifer, you probably won't have access to any metal ores if you can't punch through it.
>>
>>164975076
>version 40
...that shouldn't happen though, 40.24 was all promise, 43.05 is the start of that promise being realized.

40.19 gave us activated worlds, and 43.05 means you get soldiers that will train and become weapon lords living in goblin and elf sites and they'll show up properly armored (no more helmet+body armor only) now, and you can use a force of recruited mercenaries to slaughter the siege after it gets done clearing the bards and scholars out of your tavern!
>>
>>164975718
That's great and all but I still need logs.
>>
aquifers will become the most efficient defense once toady adds enemies that can dig/break walls and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
My possessed dwarf made a crossbow from someone's pet cat.
Should I keep it as a weapon, decoration, or sell it to the happy merchants(I've just embarked)?
>>
>>164976036
What happened to the axe that you embarked with?
>>
>>164976589
I don't think I embarked with one.

I guess I'll update to version 43 and start over
>>
>>164976589
>>164976036
Oh wait, I see that you embarked with no axes. If you can find a lair of bitumous coal then you can get fuel for your furnace, otherwise you might be fugged.
>>
>>164976036
check the 06/20/2016 entry
>>
>>164976469
Don't think you can sell artifacts, can you?
>>
Am I a cheating scumbag if I use DFhack to spawn 1 tile of 7/7 lava to use as a garbage dumb to save fps?
>>
>>164977764
Not if you do it in middle of your tavern and accept the results no matter what.
>>
Why do my dorfs refuse to make charcoal at furnace?
>>
>>164979617
Got any dwarves with woodburning labor enabled?
>>
>>164979962
I thought it was furnace operating.
>>
File: 1430779832524.png (21KB, 242x229px) Image search: [Google]
1430779832524.png
21KB, 242x229px
>>
>>164974068
There are no issues with dwarves taking items straight out of the workshop. They don't need to be put into a stockpile at all to be used.

>>164975718
World activation was .40.01, it was the whole reason it took so long between .34.11 and .40.01.

>>164976469
Use it. You can't sell artifacts anyway.
>>
>>164968540
I can play without dfhack but dwarf therapist is just so necessary, manually changes dwarves' jobs is such a pain in the ass.
>>
>>164976772
The 06/20/2016 entry of what?
>>
>>164983062
the dev log, of course
>>
>>164973273
Are you only designating the bottom of the trees to be cut down? If you are designating on several z-levels it tends to prioritize the middle or top of the tree which usually isn't routable.
>>
If you mod in more than one race that trades during a certain season, do you get more trade caravans that season, or does it randomly choose between one of the two?
>>
File: 1466266821674.jpg (20KB, 319x374px) Image search: [Google]
1466266821674.jpg
20KB, 319x374px
>>164970616
>I had no idea dwarves had their own strength/toughness/agility/endurance till I used therapist, and there's absolutely nothing in the game that would tell you this information either.
Fucking retard
And you claim it ain't a crutch...
>>
>>164970876
>reading your 100 dwarf's descriptions
It's always in the same spot and is color-coded.
>>
>>164982472
I was thinking about the fixes for world-gen battles and off-site battles where they were first having people stuck asleep, then having attackers autowin, plus the emotion rewrite.
>>
>>164983768
3 caravans come a year, Player Entity caravans, Elven caravans (because of [TREE_CAP_DIPLOMACY]) and a civilization without [TREE_CAP_DIPLOMACY] (unmodded, this would be humans). Seasons aren't the deciding factor and Dwarf Fortress even has compatibility for multiple caravans in one trade depot.
>>
File: Attributes.png (157KB, 1674x980px) Image search: [Google]
Attributes.png
157KB, 1674x980px
>>164984396
And is extremely vague and only shows up if the attribute in question is significantly above or below average.
If an attribute isn't even listed, it could be anywhere between 30% percentile to 70% percentile and you have absolutely no way of knowing.
>>
alright purist fags, tell me how I check dwarf or animal size without hack or the rapist, and also sexual orientation

checkmate
>>
>>164985117
no one has argued against DFHack. we're only saying that you don't need Starter pack to use hack.
>>
>>164985542
You don't need the starter pack for perfect world, therapist or legends viewer either, and you don't need it to adjust things like population cap, visitor cap, invader cap, autosaves, tileset, the presence of aquifers, etc.
>>
File: Accelerator10.jpg (99KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Accelerator10.jpg
99KB, 1000x1000px
How do I make my dwarves pick up fruit from the roof of my surface buildings?
I already made a fruit gathering zone and the roof is accessible to dwarves.
>>
>>164986229
You're absolutely right. Most of those things you can adjust are in the init.txt except for tilesets (kind of) and aquifers (which are in raws/objects/ in organic_stone_layer.txt, organic_stone_mineral.txt and organic_stone_soil.txt then all you need to do is remove [AQUIFER] from them)
>>
>>164987559
>organic_stone_layer.txt, organic_stone_mineral.txt and organic_stone_soil.txt
kek
inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt and inorganic_stone_soil.txt
>>
>>164984859
Neither of those things happened in 40.19 either.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146043.0
Also neither of them are world activation. And the sleeping armies bug still hasn't been fixed.
>>
>>164985117
>>164985109
Why do you feel privy to this info anyway? I just always have my perfectly competent military trained somewhat, armed with what I can get.

You can make a perfectly functional fort without knowing exactly how many good boy points each dwarf has. The fuck you need to know precise size for? What function does that serve? (Inb4 some autistic reply. You know an elephant is bigger than a pig fuck off. )

In short any "problems" run into with the lack of knowing these things just give me more FUN, so, whatever. Bring on the gay giraffes.
>>
File: 1483804463734.jpg (146KB, 400x808px) Image search: [Google]
1483804463734.jpg
146KB, 400x808px
>>164985109
LNP users everyone
>>
>>164989212
>The fuck you need to know precise size for
Because it directly affects butchering returns and combat effectiveness.
A small dwarf will be much weaker than a large dwarf when at equal skill level and equipment.
Almost every animal in the game reaches adulthood at 1 year, but doesn't reach full size until 2 years, and you'll be wasting tons of meat by butchering them as soon as they hit adulthood.

Attributes are also extremely important. Yes, they are trained up over time, but they have caps based on what the dwarf started with, and every single one of them is absolutely critical to everything you do, with the sole exceptions of musicality, disease resist and recuperation.
It's important to know which dwarves have good attributes and which don't, so you know who to assign to what jobs. Your military should be reserved for people who have outstanding attributes since that guy with 34% strength and 22% agility is going to be totally useless and die the moment he gets in combat with anything that matters.
>>
>>164989519
>I'm too stupid to understand how attributes work, so anyone who does and realizes how important they are is bad
??????
>>
>>164990317
You really don't need to min/max like that.
>>
>>164989212
>>164990457
>DUDE just turn off ur brain lmao
>who cares if ur militia is shit just start a new fort lol
>>
>>164990508
I wasn't saying that at all, but here's your (You) anyway.
>>
>>164990457
Sure you don't need to, but really you don't need to do anything except embark next to a river and have a farmer assigned to a 3x3 plump helmet farm.
Anything past that is minmaxing.
>>
>>164990317
>A small dwarf will be much weaker than a large dwarf
Not much weaker, there's not a very large range by default.
And you can see dwarves' attributes on the thoughts and prefs screen. Anything that deviates from the median is listed there.
>>
File: disdain.jpg (48KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
48KB, 400x462px
>mfw Purist McScrub tries to tell me not to minmax in my autism simulator
>>
>>164990317
You still haven't told us why you would need LNP for this.

DFHack should be enough.
>>
>>164990683
>Anything past that is minmaxing
Holy shit you are a dumb.
>>
File: worried.jpg (2MB, 2859x2638px) Image search: [Google]
worried.jpg
2MB, 2859x2638px
>>164945013
Thanks!
>>164946934
Just some chum from London
>>
>>164991017
>Anything that deviates from the median is listed there.
False. It needs to be below the 29th percentile or above the 71st percentile to get listed. That's a HUGE deviation from the norm that gets totally ignored. Dwarf A can be literally twice as strong as Dwarf B and neither of them gets a mention of how strong they are.
>>
>>164991128
Considering you're the one who doesn't know what minmaxing means, I think you should probably stop posting.
>>
File: 1450161926624.png (256KB, 538x426px) Image search: [Google]
1450161926624.png
256KB, 538x426px
>>164990449
>>I'm too stupid to understand how attributes work
I know dude, that's what I was responding to.
>>
>>164991085
Because DFHack doesn't tell you unit size or attributes as well as Therapist does?
You don't need LNP for it, it's just the best tool for the job.
It gives you everything you could possibly need, everything could possibly want, and a little bit more, and does it better than any of the alternatives(AKA vanilla since LNP includes pretty much every 3rd party program under the sun) and the only argument against it is some purist appeal to masochism "but you don't NEED it!".
>>
Can we not shit up the thread arguing about shit that doesn't matter? Can we argue about tilesets instead? Or how wide stairways should be?
>>
>>164992179
x3 of course
>>
>>164992179
>stairways
Only fags use stairways.
Ramp only master race.
>>
>>164992310
You take that back you son of a bitch.
>>
>>164992046
Except LNP tends to have all that shit outdated so you would be better of downloading everything yourself.
>>
Anyone up for a migration to discord?
>>
>>164992401
4chan discords are autistic
>>
>>164992310
You are completely right.
>>
File: 1463889648402.png (60KB, 5000x2813px) Image search: [Google]
1463889648402.png
60KB, 5000x2813px
so. can i get a thumbs up from the drawfags that theyll do these months

Drew - Autumn: limestone sandstone timber
Dots - Winter: moonstone opal obsidian
Frown - Spring: granite slate felsite
Honest - Summer: hematite malachite galena

also should it be in the order of granite = january (to better reflect the game) or opal = january (to better reflect real life)?

and on the subject of holidays. which ones should be on the calendar from real life and in game? im already going to be doing nationally recognised and widely accepted ones such as valentines day, new years, christmas, halloween and a few others. as well as ill be doing werebeast transformation days from the wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Calendar)

how far into 2018 should it go? just a small 6 month? full blown pages through march? none at all?

and the color scheme, should i use default DF color pallette or a modified one or just any one i want?

thats all the questions i have for right now. but if you could do this poll it would be awesome so i can get an idea of how likely it will be for this to go through.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12064038
http://www.strawpoll.me/12064046

wallpaper so you all tolerate my autism and are more likely to read my post
>>
File: catfishing.png (1KB, 1680x21px) Image search: [Google]
catfishing.png
1KB, 1680x21px
>>164992382
Never. I bet you even embark on sedimentary stone layers you pansy.
>>
>>164964034
When was the last time anyone ever got a fell mood? Has the new emotions system influenced how often they show up, if at all? Am I just unlucky?
>>
>>164987112
did you manage the labor?
>>
>>164991416
>It needs to be below the 29th percentile or above the 71st percentile to get listed
If a dwarf's attribute falls between the median and the first raw increment above or below it, then it isn't listed. They're in the median range. Their strength isn't significantly higher or lower than median for a dwarf. If you were to comb your population for dwarves you MIGHT find a pair with the maximum possible difference of 749 points within the median, but that's an outlier case and you know it. DF may not have a stellar UI, but designing a UI around outliers like that is absurd. And if by some chance you were to recruit those dwarves with 751 and 1499 strength into your military you would never notice a difference in their performance once they started training, skill gain would totally eclipse the difference in their attributes in short order. The only way you would ever know the difference is by checking their attributes with a 3rd party utility.
>>
>>164970450
Where is this screenshot from?
>>
>>164992968
I think it's just much rarer to have pissed dwarves now with alcohol being so OP, I haven't seen any in a while.
>>
>>164992883
It sounds pretty fun desu.

t. frownanon.

It was a long time ago I last saw honestanon, though. He disappeared soon after the discord incident. He posted a lot of OC the next day, but I haven't seen him since then.
>>
>>164993501
I assume it's a mockup of how one of the Anons sees the the new alias system working.
>>
>>164992968
Fell and macabre moods are currently impossible since they were part of the old thought system which no longer exists. (That's also why possession is so much more common now, since happy thoughts used to increase the chances of a fey mood)
Being unfocused is not the same as being unhappy, so dwarves are effectively incapable of emotion ever since the update.
As far as I know, tantrums are also currently impossible, and insanity is only triggered by failed moods now.

All my projects to attempt to trigger tantrums, insanity and unhappy strange moods have failed.
You can amontillado your entire fortress into a single tile and force them to spend years sustained only by dirty water and scavenged vermin, crushed beneath the weight of the corpses of their friends and family, and the worst you'll get is that little yellow "Distracted" arrow.
>>
So /dfg/, I just got out of rehab and moved into an SLE and won't have my computer for a couple of months. If I don't get my DF fix asap I'm gonna kill myself. Any Android games in the same vein as DF that don't suck to help me get my fix in the mean time?
>>
File: 1482377638416.png (86KB, 1056x869px) Image search: [Google]
1482377638416.png
86KB, 1056x869px
>>164992401
Anon no
Don't
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23KB, 480x472px
>>164991579
>>
>>164993487
>skill gain would totally eclipse the difference in their attributes in short order
Right up until they hit the cap and Urist Mc1499 is still way stronger than Urist Mc751.
attribute_cap = starting_value + max {starting_value, median}

Also you act like this is rare, but if you were using therapist to check attributes you would realize that it's actually the norm and attributes close to the median are the lucky outlier case.
>>
>>164993824
Happiness has never had any effect on fey moods. Fey, secretive, and possession have always had equal likelihoods for dwarves who weren't very unhappy. You're right about fell/macabre moods, though. They should still be technically possible, but I don't know how one would stress a dwarf badly enough to trigger them, as dwarves are very emotionally stable these days.
>>
File: 1465369473577.png (39KB, 1440x876px) Image search: [Google]
1465369473577.png
39KB, 1440x876px
>an image of trillion cut gems
Goddamn, nigga really likes gems
>>
>>164993824
Damn, that's a shame. I hope Toady plans on addressing that sometime soon. It gets kind of disappointing when he half-overhauls a system and doesn't adapt the rest of the game to it
>>
>>164994570
Really?
I guess I was just really lucky. I used to always try and keep my dwarves at max possible happiness, and nearly all my moods were fey moods.
Then the update rolled around and for a few months I got exclusively possession. It took three months before I finally got a secretive mood. I figured it had something to do with the thought system, but I guess it was just a crazy run of luck.
>>
>>164991271
>tfw more accurate then BF1
>>
>>164994447
You misunderstand me. I'm saying that the greatest possible difference in strength that two median dwarves can have is insignificant because their skill is much more important. If they were both, e.g., legendary +2 spearmasters, their performance in combat is going to be so similar that the fact that one caps out at mighty and the other at strong is meaningless. They're both fit for service, and you know that by looking at their thought and prefs screen and not seeing any red text indicating their strength. And tending toward the median is how the attribute entries in the raws work, they're not going to tend to the extreme edges of the median range. If they did, the a larger proportion of dwarves would land in red or green text ranges than they do, and the median wouldn't be the median. You're just making shit up because you want to appear right now.
>>
>>164995481
That's not how it works though. The median is not as median as you think it is.
It picks one of the ranges defined, tending towards the median range, and then chooses a completely and entirely random number within the selected range.
The ranges don't even need to be in numerical order or make any sense at all
[5000:0:5000:0:5000:0:5000] is a totally valid attribute range.
>>
>>164993962
Yeah there's on coming out no earlier than MARCH
When do you get your PC back?
As long as it's not before M
A
R
C
H
>>
>>164992401
fucking kill yourself
>>
>>164995956
Even if you're right about how attributes are selected (I'd like to see a source on that), the median is still the median. In a random distribribution of numbers within a defined range, any single data point is more likely to be nearer to the median of that range than either of the extremes. If it were truly random, only half of the numbers would be closer to the either extreme than the center, and only a quarter closer to any one extreme.
>>
>>164964878
My goal is to document and draw the faces of the people I encounter based solely on their descriptions.
>>
>>164997495
Post them please.
>>
>>164997597
Im deviantart tier at best, Im not a good drawfag.
>>
>>164997765
post them please.
>>
File: il_570xN.710489485_q28e.jpg (31KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.710489485_q28e.jpg
31KB, 570x570px
>>164994614
Hate to break it to you but this is what trillion cut gems look like.
>>
>>164993962
What were you in rehab for?
>>
>>164998771
Fuking ur mom
>>
>>164964878
mint coins and put them in the royal bank
>>
>>164999042
I wish they had rehab for being rood.
>>
>>164998187
I will post this next one I guess.
>>
>>164999640
They do though, it's called anger management classes.
>>
File: 1482517639393.jpg (23KB, 506x437px) Image search: [Google]
1482517639393.jpg
23KB, 506x437px
>>164964034
whats wrong with dwarf the rapist? those it NOT WORK at all or is there just some new job thats not showing up?
>>
>>164999918
does*
>>
>>164999918
The currently download doesn't have the correct memory layouts (it can be got off the github page though) and it doesn't work for 64 bit DF.
>>
File: neet.png (67KB, 578x547px) Image search: [Google]
neet.png
67KB, 578x547px
>obok
>kills a bunch of dudes
>has orphans fight to death
>just another day in DF

>"rapes" one of the goblin orphans
>OH NO THIS IS THE MOST TWISTED THING IN THE HISTORY OF DF

I don't get it. Is the idea of having sex with a goblin that horrifying?
>>
File: arrow.jpg (729KB, 1920x1004px) Image search: [Google]
arrow.jpg
729KB, 1920x1004px
I got siege, and had 40 barely trained (dabbling/novice) speardwarves hold off 17 goblins.
Lost 14 dwarves, rest were all injuried, they all healed. But theres this guy here who has an arrow and bolt stuck in his, his wounds were sutured but he didnt take these arrows out...

Any way for them to get removed?
Do leg fractures and broken bones heal and how long do they take? What about nerve/motor senses damage?
>>
>>165000515
the whole thing is fake to begin with. sure, modding the game that way IS possible, but the way it was written made it obvious that the author didn't know how the RAWs work.
>>
>>165000515
I'm pretty sure it was an elf he raped.
>>
>>165001291
It was.
>>
>>165000817
removing arrows from the lower back usually cripples a dwarf for life anyway and they dont do anything if they are jus tleft in forever (unless some one pulls them out in a fight)

fun tip: never pull out an arrow from your lower back in adventure mode

nerve/motor senses damage never goes away but it doesn't really effect anything and broken bones heal if you put a brace on them
>>
>>165001291
>>165001458
Is there a difference?
>>
>>165001583
It's not rape if it's an elf.
>>
>>165000515
Serously, mermaid bone farms and dwarven child care are worse.
>>
>>165002086
Violence is fine, sex is ick and wrong. Don't you know anything anon?
>>
>>165000515
The story isn't well known because it's bad, it's because it turns people on.
>>
>>165002086
Well, Toady did actually make mermaid bones worth considerably less after that thread

>>165002392
I mean, it wasn't just "sex". It was child rape in the Obok story. Not really just prudishness in that situation.
>>
>>165000515
Isn't sex with miners a normal part of dwarven civilization?
>>
File: 4485069-3925296684-13869.png (103KB, 311x300px) Image search: [Google]
4485069-3925296684-13869.png
103KB, 311x300px
>>165003003
ayyyyyyy
>>
>>165002876
It wasn't enough to cause Toady to delete the post though.
>>
>>165002876
It was still lesser than the other things Obok already did, unless you believe the "rape is worse than murder" meme.
>>
>>165003252
It's to prevent setting a precedent for thousands of thread detailing raping your elven little girl companions.
>>
File: NeverEver.gif (171KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
NeverEver.gif
171KB, 375x375px
>>165003003
nice

>>165003193
>>165002876
because one was actually amazing the other was just editing the raws, im sure if some dude made two 100 z level statues of 2 dwarfs sucking each other off with a system that shoots magma out of one dwarfs dick onto the face of the other it would be just as good
>>
>>165002876
So child rape is oh my god what the fuck, but child mutilation, child murder and child torture are totally ok to joke about?
>>
>>165002876
>Well, Toady did actually make mermaid bones worth considerably less after that thread
Because they weren't supposed to be high value in the first place. He forgot to change the template.
The thread was basically a bug report.
>>
>>165003697
Yep!
It's the American Way!
"Blood, gore, and violence are all okay, but show even a nipple and everyone flips out!"
>>
>>165003393
The reaction of calling it a particularly morally abhorrent story has nothing to do with that though, it's an emotional response rather than a logical one.
>>
>>165003697
Most of the violence in Dwarf Fortress is absurdly over the top. Both shit like Dwarven childcare and the mermaid farms are cartoonishly violent.
>>165003908
Again you seem to be equating Americans being weirdly uncomfortable with full frontal nudity with child rape.

I don't even care about the obok meatgod thread, I can just understand why most people don't want that sort of things on the forums
>>
File: 1482547409156.gif (885KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1482547409156.gif
885KB, 250x189px
>>165003908
>>165003697
>>165003962
>>165004330

the key here is "intent" if some one made a huge post about mutilating children in DF for a sexual thrill it would be deleted as well

if some one made a huge post about breeding dwarves with elves in rapes caves to create some kind of hybrid that can mine faster and eat less, provding a spread sheet about how its time efficient over 40 years the thread wouldn't get deleted

>>165003908
>>165003697
if you guys cant see the difference youre retarded / autistic / 16 year olds
>>
>>165004330
>implying western (including european) stigma surrounding sexual content is limited to nudity
Nice intellectual dishonesty.
>>
>>165004521
You literally just said
>"Blood, gore, and violence are all okay, but show even a nipple and everyone flips out!"
Don't act like such a failed abortion
>>
did you guys ever notice that pissing, shitting, and fucking all happen within a 2-inch radius?

obviously toady has issues with genitalia
>>
File: costanza.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>165004517
Nice job assuming the intent of the Obok poster.
>make a long post about mutilating children for the sadistic thrill
>just another day in Dwarf Fortress
>one of the characters do something sexual in the process
>SHUT IT DOWN

You're a prude, dude.
>>
>>165004330
>>165004517
I'm not trying to say that child rape is ok or should be allowed on the forums or was a good inclusion in the dude's shitty story.
I'm just saying that it's stupid that child rape is where the line was drawn and not child mutilation and murder.

>>165004865
You would too if you had to deal with the kind of suggestions toady gets.
>>
All you have to do to know the motive behind this shit stirring post is look at the pic he chose
>>165000515
He's obviously just a weeb who wants to make DF a breeding ground for his lame ass loli rape fantasies, pay him no mind
>>
>>165004669
>show even a nipple
>limited to
Learn English, you fucking moron.
>>
>>165004517
Yeah, you're right even though the intent of Obok Meatgod was purely to shock people and not because he had a sexual desire to do so, you can tell easily by the way he speaks about his adventurer but keeps playing him even though what he does is super boring in-game.
>>
>>165005320
>putting that much effort into justifying an adhom
All these flavors, salty, etc.
>>
>>165005243
Why specify child rape? Are you of the opinion that regular rape should be on the forums?
>>
File: 1374645639663.png (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1374645639663.png
178KB, 500x500px
I have the queen in my fortress, she inherited the title because the previous king died.
Now, I also have the liaison offering me to establish my colony as an official land, if I recommend the queen do she become a baron or is just update my fortress?
>>
>>165005934
Because that's what the discussion was about?
Rape in general should fuck right off because it's not in the game and never will be.
Obok and similar stories should also fuck right off because they're shitty shock value trash that really have nothing to do with the game, and in the case of Obok, weren't even rooted in actual gameplay, not even abstractly.
>>
>>165006146
think she becomes both or stays as the queen, you can have your mayer also be the trader for example
>>
>>165006146
I think it'll just pick someone else. Even the fortress that's home to the monarch needs a baron/count/duke.
>>
>>165006146
>demoting your queen

rude
>>
>>165006146
She will become a baron but she will still be a queen because that title is higher.
>>
>>165006326
Except the discussion was about sexual content in general.

>rape should fuck right off because it's not in the game
So do you think those chained-up mermaids were bred voluntarily?
>>
>>165006610
Those chained up mermaids weren't bred at all because at the time the post was made, underwater creatures were bugged and could not reproduce.
The entire topic was theoretical anyway. Nobody actually did it because it was so extremely impractical, and by the time you could actually get the system up and running(assuming you were lucky enough to even get mermaids at all) their bones weren't even that big a deal anymore.
>>
>>165007092
Which is a damn shame. I hate the meme that only farm animals are ever worth keeping as cattle.
>>
>>165007381
It's not a meme if it's true.
>>
>>165007381
Trolls would be worth keeping as cattle if you could tame them.
>>
File: GoddamnKidsWhatDidTheyDoToYou.png (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GoddamnKidsWhatDidTheyDoToYou.png
214KB, 1920x1080px
>>164988651
Yar, one was 40.14, one was 40.16, and 40.19 stuck out since we could de-dick elves.

>>164993501
Used gm-editor to insert an example of how things like that worked.

>>165003697
Kids mutilate and torture each other in game whether you're there or not.
>>
>>165007540
People value random shit like elephant tusks extremely highly. Why wouldn't there be similar cases involving sentient mythological species like mermaids?
>>
File: KupektheMaceman.png (760KB, 1360x738px) Image search: [Google]
KupektheMaceman.png
760KB, 1360x738px
>>164998187
>>164999660
Like I said, deviantart tier.
>>
>>165008712
to what end anon?
>>
>>165003003
My sides have sailed off in an arc.
>>
File: Capture.png (2KB, 850x29px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2KB, 850x29px
Now that can't be normal.
>>
File: 182017907.png (1MB, 1048x646px) Image search: [Google]
182017907.png
1MB, 1048x646px
>>165009480
I like to draw. I'm horrible at it though. Used to do it a lot when I was younger and just started again. I wanted to draw people and characters but, I'm still quite a novice. I use DF as a way to get facial feature ideas so that they all don't look the same. Here have one a landscape instead, its one of the few things I'm semi-proud of.
>>
>>165008712
df will be a good place for inspo but you should really draw from reference until you have it down at least a bit. or at least start with a hyper generic baseline sketch youve made and modify it to fit each dorf you draw. it will come.
https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/human-anatomy-fundamentals-basics-of-the-face--cms-20417
>>
>>165010561
That's actually pretty cozy
>>
>>165010561
i wish you nothing but the best m8, art is a thankless hobby that has no purpose but self improvement. make sure its something you really want to do before spending more time on it, i find a musical instrument is some times just as good when you want to express yourself
>>
>>165010561
I agree with: >>165011389 on the cozy level there.
>>
File: Porcelain.png (8KB, 1654x134px) Image search: [Google]
Porcelain.png
8KB, 1654x134px
Man this game really wants me to make some fucking pottery
>Soil layers are clay loam, clay, sandy clay and fire clay
>Immediately goes into three levels of kaolinite and lignite
>>
>>165011983
Do it.
>>
>>165012197
I was already planning on it actually.
Goal with this fort is to hit magma ASAP, pump it up to the first cavern layer(where my fort will be) and use it for metal and pottery. The lignite will be useful to help make the pump stack.
>>
>>165011983
Make a terracotta army.
>>
>>165011983
>You have struck kaolinite!
>>
please do my calendar poll.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12064038
http://www.strawpoll.me/12064046
>>
>>164994145
always good, glad I saved it
>>
>>165015102
did it
>>165011983
>pottery
>>165010561
>drawing

Man, I thought /ksg/ motivated people to do stuff, but you guys are awesome
>>
File: 1483849913251.jpg (1MB, 2255x1743px) Image search: [Google]
1483849913251.jpg
1MB, 2255x1743px
>>165015102
voted.

>>165010561
good.
>>
>>165015102
I answered the second poll, but not the first because "none of the above, I can print it myself" wasn't an option.
>>
>>165011983
I thought you said poetry at first.
>>
>>165018089
>>>/tv/
>>
>>165015102
>>165017257
Yeah, it's a noble idea, but you'd have just as much of a positive impact compiling the images, laying out the calendar format, and then just sharing a PDF here.
>>
>>164992310
enjoy wasting space
>>
>>165018921
>Not having a master water slide down the center of your fort for mass transit

Its like you dont even belive in fun anon.
>>
>>165018782
>just as much of a positive impact
i disagree because having a novelty sent to you is way better than making your own novelty. especially if you dont have easy access to quality print shops and end up doing a color print job on your home printer.
>>
>>165017257
>none of the above, I can print it myself
>what is 'pay the manufacturing costs'
>>
>>165019463
>what is printing it at work because I'm not a NEET and enjoy stealing from my corporate overlords
>>
>>165018673
For some reason I thought that meme came from /4xg/
>>
>>164974540
I accidentally read this as "You've got bears as fuel for magma right?"
>>
just one mistake. just ONE misplaced dig designation, and everything's ruined. Either I try and forget about that level entirely and start over on another z level, or I incorporate it into the design somehow. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>165018921
That's not wasting space. That's using space. All of those thousands of unrevealed subterranean tiles in high-efficiency forts are wasted space.
>>
File: WellArentYouMetalAsFuck.png (91KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellArentYouMetalAsFuck.png
91KB, 1920x1080px
>>165020183
>metal
>>
Would I get banned if I posted this in the FoFT?
>>
>toady dies
>brother releases the df source code
>it's a single cpp file
>>
>>165024017
>that filename and pic
Jesus, thats fucking savage man
I would definitely ban you
A better name would be ''Toady_And_Threetoe_In_Heaven_After_Toady_OD'd
>>
>>165024194
Go download the oldest linux release and take a look at g_src. As best I can tell, g_src was created by ripping 15,000 LOC out of the main game and stuffing them into a .so. It's not all one file, but it's plenty disturbing in other ways. My favorite part is Toady's Fortran-tier commenting style:
//ALL COMMENTS ARE FORMATTED LIKE THIS
>>
File: 1483629082371.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1483629082371.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
>>165024017
>>165024327

i don get the joek explain pls
>>
>>165026043
Toady once said in an interview , when explaining the bad experience he had as a mathematician, that he once did meth, and he thought his brother was dead
It was a pretty scary experience for him, and he got the fuck away from drugs
The webcomic comically makes a reference to mathematicians doing meth in order to publish theorems, as its a very energy and attention consuming task
In the case that that pic was posted in the FoFT, where Toady would see it, the anon that posted the pic asumes that the casually reference to a very traumatic event in Toady's life would make him angry enough to ban him from the forums

There you go
>>
>>165027364
>that he once did meth, and he thought his brother was dead
Sounds like typical amphetamines. Even adderall is enough for life-ruining horror. I can't even imagine why people would willingly do it in larger doses.
>>
>>165003003
I don't get it
>>
File: comfy_caravan.webm (1MB, 756x572px) Image search: [Google]
comfy_caravan.webm
1MB, 756x572px
>>
File: 1483939955886.jpg (53KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483939955886.jpg
53KB, 1000x800px
>>165027364
>>
File: Kobold_Swordsman_Zombie_Seige.gif (1MB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold_Swordsman_Zombie_Seige.gif
1MB, 333x333px
post your forts!
>>
File: Capture.png (13KB, 562x213px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13KB, 562x213px
How do I make it stop?
>>
>>164992883
>winter
ok
>>
File: 1471003847525.jpg (142KB, 393x553px) Image search: [Google]
1471003847525.jpg
142KB, 393x553px
>>165001762
>>
File: untitled.png (24KB, 994x322px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
24KB, 994x322px
In the ammunition section on the military screen is the amount of ammo for each individual dwarf or for the entire squad?
>>
>>165032252
entire squad which is why it I believe it defaults to 250?
>>
>>165031354
What am I seeing here? is this a screengrab from Kobold Camp in which they somehow repelled a zombie siege?
>>
>>165031374
Close off/fully explore/d b f your caverns. Or delete your refuse stockpiles.
>>
>>165029446
sick. thats actually way fucking cool to see a functioning fort in webm form. if anyone has more please post
>>
>>164993962
Try Liberal Crime Squad if you must have a toady game. It's no DF, not even remotely the same genre, but it's definitely easy to get lost in.
>>
File: Emeraldmirrors.webm (697KB, 698x648px) Image search: [Google]
Emeraldmirrors.webm
697KB, 698x648px
>>165034357
I made this a while ago while trying to figure out webmcam. I wasn't going to post it since I wasn't too happy with it, but the fort has since died of FPS death when I tried to attract the monarch, so it's the best I'm getting out of Emeraldmirrors.
>>
>>165024017
You should be banned for reading that STEM-fag webcomic in the first place.
>>
File: September.jpg (3MB, 3582x1908px) Image search: [Google]
September.jpg
3MB, 3582x1908px
>>164992883
yea or nay?
>>
>>165039807
>September.jpg
Don't you mean
>Limestone.jpg
?

Note: Limestone is from about September 21 to about October 21. I've been working on a mockup of how the two calendars should be combined for the past couple hours (I am slow) so I should have that finished and posted soon(ish).

Also note: I am not the anon who started this. I just think that if it's going to be done, it should be done right, and I have a strong opinion on what constitutes "right" in this context, which I shall elaborate upon once I have finished my mockup.

As for your picture: looks good to me.
>>
File: Timber.jpg (281KB, 1550x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Timber.jpg
281KB, 1550x1205px
>>165040242
My bad, I meant limestone.
Timber underway.
>>
Is there a way to find out what civilization your fortress will be before you embark?
>>
>>165041645
Never mind. Just noticed you can select it in one of the embark screen modes.
>>
File: Granite.png (1MB, 1665x1218px) Image search: [Google]
Granite.png
1MB, 1665x1218px
>>164992883
Will this do for Granite?

I'm not very good at judging the quality of my own stuff.
>>
File: over3hoursinmspaint.png (29KB, 1461x853px) Image search: [Google]
over3hoursinmspaint.png
29KB, 1461x853px
>>164992883
>>165039807
>>165040242
>>165041484
>>165043830
Ok, here's my mockup.

It took a lot longer to make this than I thought it would, though I don't feel so bad about thinking maybe I should put it off until tomorrow now that I know how long it actually would wind up taking me.

Since it's 6:30 AM now I'm just going to hope this is clear enough for now and explain anything that isn't later if anyone wants.
>>
>>165044130
Good job bro.
>>
File: Sandstone chilly morn.jpg (189KB, 1418x949px) Image search: [Google]
Sandstone chilly morn.jpg
189KB, 1418x949px
>>165044130
Got it.

>>165043830
Nice as normal.
(baby snatcher in the brush?)
>>
>>165044525
>(baby snatcher in the brush?)
Yeah. Thanks.
>>
>>165044130
>tfw the community has become so special snowflakey that it needs its own time count and calendar
I like it.

Apart from the printed calendar, someone should also make an app or something that keeps track of time using the same calendar. The latter could be used as a meaure for eventual future printed calendars.
>>
>>165045191
>meaure
measure*
>>
>>165044130
I should probably add this while I'm eating:
I think it would make the most sense to have it be a 1st Granite-28th Obsidian calendar for DF year 12, which works out to late March 2017-late March 2018.

Also, I just noticed that I skipped a day in November in my mockup. Oh well.
>>
>>165044130
i just figued it would be simpler, an much less autistic, to label the months with their df counterparts and otherwise not do much to align it to the game.
so

>Opal = January and has 31 days
>Obsidian = ferbruary and has 28 days
etc
>>
>>165043830
it looks really nice! but if you could color it a bit it would work much better.

>>165039807
>>165041484
lookin very good!
>>
>>165050134
>it looks really nice! but if you could color it a bit it would work much better.
Yeah, probably. I haven't done any colouring before, though, but I'll give it a try.
>>
>>165050050
I second this. If I'm going to actually use the calendar I'd want the days to line up, otherwise it would become far less intuitive to glance at to check events.
Not that I don't appreciate the work put into that mockup, I would just find it awkward to use.
>>
File: Granite colour.png (3MB, 1716x1212px) Image search: [Google]
Granite colour.png
3MB, 1716x1212px
>>165050134
>>164992883
Here's a coloured version of my granite entry.

I also finished up my Slate entry.
>>
File: Slate colour.png (3MB, 1701x1194px) Image search: [Google]
Slate colour.png
3MB, 1701x1194px
>>165054114
Here's the slate one.

It's an indianon style map of a human hamlet, mostly inspired by early modern tow maps.
>>
>>165054114
>>165054254
very comf thank you very much
>>
There is LITERALLY (literally) no reason to not use the starter pack if it was updated.
>>
>>165057181
>if it was updated
That's a rather big 'if', considering that it's out of date 99% of the time.

Just installing the individual utilities as they become available is generally more flexible.

Also, I know you hope to keep the thread alive by stirring up a shitstorm.
>>
>>164993214
What do you mean?
Some months ago I just set the zone and deleted it after they picked the fruit up. Now it doesnt work.
I believe it falls under plant gathering,
>>
>>165057906
not that anon, but seems like I'm stumped too.

troubleshooting list:
-food stockpile has leaves enabled (fruits are leaves, not plants) and has enough room.
-dwarves have labor enabled (90% sure it's plant gathering)
-the zone is set to the right type of zone, and is set to active
-roof is accessible, if there's a ramp involved
-*optional maybe dwarves are OCD and will only pick up plants on the floot if they have a stepladder available anyway?

if that doesn't work , set the fruits to dump, and make sure the standing orders are to pick up garbage from the outside. Dump them into a single square, then set that square to a stockpile, use 'give to another stockpile' to transfer it to main food stock.

If you're going OCD because the fallen leaves/seed pods are coloring your roofs, you can use a dfhack command to clean leaves/blood/vomit.
>>
File: Aina.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Aina.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
>a group of peaceful squirrel men comes to visit my fortress
>my dwarves massacre them on sight
Huh?
>>
>pic related comes to my fort
>PC crashes
>save corrupted
>>
FUCKING HELL HOW DO I CLEAN LEAVES OFF THE GROUND REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>165061581
dumb frogposter
>>
My secretive dwarf wants a shining bar of metal. Which one is it?
>>
>>165062865
what about it is it that you don't understand? from my experience, any metal should do, regardless of his preferences.
>>
>>164964878
Try to live only on wood while keeping a better moral system than those pesky elves.
>>
File: Kea.png (289KB, 314x436px) Image search: [Google]
Kea.png
289KB, 314x436px
*deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: varg.jpg (40KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
varg.jpg
40KB, 350x350px
>>165065509
Stop hating keas.
>>
>>165065865
They are tiny thieving shits. If Toady made them even more realistic and made them attack certain livestock I would hate them even more.
>>
File: Komaeda11.png (76KB, 240x208px) Image search: [Google]
Komaeda11.png
76KB, 240x208px
>>165065509
>kea cleans silver bolts from the forests around your fortress
>>
>>165068087
>forests
>around fortress
>>
File: 1474752929048.png (189KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1474752929048.png
189KB, 500x281px
>>165065509
>new embark
>a Kea made off with your iron anvil!
>>
Is a dented neck supposed to prevent dwarves from doing their jobs? I have a guy who went full NEET after getting his neck slightly dented in a fight with a troglodyte. It's actually really pissing me off, he's just an asshole leeching off all my shit. He's a fucking manchild. Is a dented neck a much bigger deal than I thought or is my dwarf just a lazy shit?
>>
File: Troll.png (5KB, 219x162px) Image search: [Google]
Troll.png
5KB, 219x162px
How the hell did he get in here, the caverns are closed off. better yet why isn't he slaughtering everyone?
>>
>>165070291
I wish I had a dented neck so I wouldn't have to work.
>>
>>165070442
He's a master troll.
>>
>>165034016
Late but thanks man, it worked
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 123x117px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 123x117px
>>165070442
I tried to wall him in and he just toppled them and went back to standing in the middle of the room. I don't know what he's planning but he's making me nervous. Trolls aren't trapavoid are they?
>>
>>165070291
A dent is basically just a bruise.

If he's not doing any work, it's probably because you haven't assigned him the labour required for whatever you want him to do.
>>
>>165071325
He's preparing to bash down the other door. When he's done that, he'll go somewhere else and repeat. Kill him while you still have furniture left.
>>
>>165071325
>wall

just kill it
>>
File: faget.png (2KB, 116x91px) Image search: [Google]
faget.png
2KB, 116x91px
>>165071472
>>165071627
I expected a lot more from him, he ran into my sweatshop and got murdered by a couple of masons.
>>
Dragonfire can't melt steel bridges.

But masons can deconstruct anything.
>>
>>165034357
thanks anon, I'll post more tonight
>>
File: 1411258185578.jpg (104KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1411258185578.jpg
104KB, 720x720px
>>165060558
Dwarves can get weirdly aggressive at times. I lost two of my spear dwarves in one of my squads, and tried to recruit new ones. The second they walked into the barracks the original dwarves challenged them in a spar and killed them instantly. Admittedly, maybe I shouldn't let them spar with steel equipment. They also attacked some of the dogs and cats that wandered into the barracks, but that was only tackling.

Also, I added [TRAINABLE_WAR] to hyenas and dingoes. do i have to make a new world to see the result of that? I thought editing creature raws worked even in the same save. They're not showing up as war trainable.
>>
>>165074430
Dude, sparring accidents haven't been a thing for years. When did this happen to you?
>>
>>165074549
Today. Every time I drafted someone, it'd go fine for a few minutes, then say "Recruit has been found dead" with their corpses right in the barracks
>>
>>165075232
Does it actually say in the combat logs that they were cut down?

This never happens to me.
>>
>>165075232
I don't know what's happening to your recruits, but it isn't from sparring. Anon is right, sparring accidents aren't a thing for many many versions. You could have dwarves sparring buck naked with adamantine weapons and they'll be "lightly tapped" by every attack and never receive even a scratch.
Besides that, recruits don't spar anyway. For a creature's profession to be "recruit" they can't have any offensive combat skills past dabbling. They won't (can't) spar before they've gotten some combat skill at least into the proficient neighborhood.
You should read your combat reports and/or build some slabs to figure out what's actually happening.
>>
>game crashes and you lose 6 months of work
So is this a feature or what?
>>
>>165078062
>[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
>>
>>165078062
Yup. It teaches you that many of your efforts will be destroyed by powers you cannot control, thus preparing you for the harsh reality of life.
>>
>>165077296
>>165075736
It hasn't happened again, and it's been so long it's impossible to locate.

Another question, is clothing made of fire imp leather fire resistant?
>>
>>165078902
Yeah, objects retain the properties of the mats they're made from. Fire imp leather is fire immune, not just resistant. Mind, it still gets hot and melt a non fire immune occupant, probably moreso than the fire alone would have since the clothing will take time to cool off after the fire/magma is no longer an issue. The clothing itself won't catch on fire, though. Unless a dragon breathes it.
>>
File: ComfyHamletIsComfy.png (83KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ComfyHamletIsComfy.png
83KB, 1920x1080px
>>165078618
Phwoah.

>>165054254
Love it.
>>
>>165065509
>>
SCALEBOUND WAS CANCELLED
>>
>>165082052
>The dragon has been struck down.

Anyway, not /dfg/. Take it to /v/.
>>
>>165082052
whatever. I always had that No Man's Sky feeling about it.
>>
>>165082052
I saw it at E3 and it looked shitty.

So it's alright.
>>
>>165082052
First time I've heard of it but it doesn't seem that interesting.
>>
>>165060558
I can't speak for those, but animal men are very often aggressive, even in adv mode. I've been ambushed by many a carnivore-type, not sure about herbivores.
>>
File: uganda-anit-gay-parade.jpg (43KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
uganda-anit-gay-parade.jpg
43KB, 620x350px
>mfw Elven merchants start bitching about muh wood
>>
>>165085341
laffed
>>
Wait, if you get both legs fucked up in Adventure Mode, crutches don't work?
>>
>>165085958
you can still crawl like a legless cod zombie
>>
File: !!exhilarating!!.png (9KB, 1228x147px) Image search: [Google]
!!exhilarating!!.png
9KB, 1228x147px
The joke in this pic is that the guy is standing face to face with a fire breathing FB, in the middle of a burning inferno. The ground around the guy is all on fire. Even his clothes are on fire, although he hasn't started to take damage yet. This guy deserves a special kind of monument when he dies.
>>
>>165085958
You should try getting your arms fucked up and all your teeth knocked out
>>
>>165085958
Crutches don't work in both Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode if you don't have a non-fucked leg.
>>
File: HOLY KEKELS.png (13KB, 263x280px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY KEKELS.png
13KB, 263x280px
>>165086950
Holy kek.

With his fucking clothes on fire, he kept blocking the beast's fire until they both tumbled into the cavern lake, effectively putting out the fire in his clothes.

The fucker WOULD drown, but now, the water around them condensates instantly due to the fire from the beast.

This fucker might actually have a chance.
>>
File: YESS YESS.png (10KB, 1205x147px) Image search: [Google]
YESS YESS.png
10KB, 1205x147px
>>165087462
HE KILLED THE FUCKER.

Now, if he can just get back on dry land before the upset water engulfs him.

Pls make it lil' nigga.
>>
File: crutches.jpg (29KB, 640x500px) Image search: [Google]
crutches.jpg
29KB, 640x500px
>>165085958
you need 3 crutches
>>
>>165087648
you better pamper this guy if he makes it out
>>
File: FUCK2.png (22KB, 309x364px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK2.png
22KB, 309x364px
>>165087648
>>165087736
His chances are looking grim. He's steady on his way toward dry land, but the ground is still on fire.
>>
File: AvastYeScurvyAnons.png (26KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AvastYeScurvyAnons.png
26KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw no pirate kea men with keas in their shoulders riding giant keas

>>165087915
Come on axebro, you can do eeet!
>>
>>165087049
I have fucked up hooves. I'm a goat.
>>
>>165088595
I don't know why that made me laugh so much, like you just suddenly noticed "oh fuck, guys, I think I might... I might be a goat."

I used to have a goat actually, hilarious little dude. We had a sheet of plywood we used to close off the laundry room as a little stall for him to sleep in, which was more of a suggestion, as I remember walking in to find him standing with all four hooves lined up on top of a half inch thick sheet of wood as though he had no clue how he got up there.
>>
File: on dry gound again.png (22KB, 322x346px) Image search: [Google]
on dry gound again.png
22KB, 322x346px
>>165087915
>>165088331
YESS YESS.

He had to wait in the water until the fire had gone out on the ground, and while he waited, the water slowly filled up. When the fire had finally gone out, the water level was already at 7/7 and he had begun to flounder helplessly.

In the end, however, he made it back on land.

I'm so fucking happy, /dfg/. I might make a drawing of this.

In the end, the only casualty was some random woodcutter (literally who) who escaped the fire by desperately climbing a fungiwood tree, as he slowly meted from his burning clothes.
>>
>>165089425
Eyyy
>>
File: ponderin nerd stuff.png (31KB, 407x602px) Image search: [Google]
ponderin nerd stuff.png
31KB, 407x602px
>>165087736
>you better pamper this guy if he makes it out
I made him a scholar and relieved him from his duties. When the mountainhome wants a baron, I'll recommend him.
>>
What happens during a siege when you completely wall off/drawbridge off the entrance to your fortress?

Do the besiegers ever go away, or do they just stand around waiting for you to lower your draw bridge?
>>
So I'm a werelizard, but my attributes are now shit, aren't you supposed to get a boost?
>>
>>165093195
They get bored and leave eventually.

>>165093654
Yes, IIRC becoming a werebeast doubles your physical attributes.
>>
File: recover-wounded.webm (2MB, 928x676px) Image search: [Google]
recover-wounded.webm
2MB, 928x676px
>>165034357
This fort was just heavily besieged. Here is our humble miner taking a wounded fellow citizen to the hospital. I am somewhat proud of the waterworks I dug out in this one (Not flowing right now because the river is frozen.)
>>
>>165094473
It seems random though, some are lower, some are higher. Strength and Agility are down for example.
>>
File: LongLiveTheCause.png (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LongLiveTheCause.png
99KB, 1920x1080px
>been moddan'
>got most of the bugs worked out
>conquered sites are still buggy
>s'all good tho
>accidentally made roaming squads of soldiers a regular feature of every town and hamlet
>not just guards "on a patrol"
>these are all "on an important mission"
>also sometimes they're cats

>>165094473
You do not recall correctly, if you're cursed by a god they give you no aging and werecurse, otherwise if you're bit it's just the werecurse, you heal but don't get anything else besides the time when you're beastmoded out.

>>165091964
Nerd stuff indeed.
>>
>>165034357
And here we have a different fort. A dwarf was struck by a mood just as I started recording, so I followed him down to the workshop.
>>
File: SoFuckingConfused.png (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SoFuckingConfused.png
108KB, 1920x1080px
>>165094968
(psst, forgot something)
>>
File: fey_mood.webm (1MB, 1024x704px) Image search: [Google]
fey_mood.webm
1MB, 1024x704px
>>165094968
Forgot to upload, whoops.
>>
>>165094876
The wiki says that transforming gives physical attribute boosts. It doesn't specify double, or any other particular amount.

>>165094806
Are you looking at your attributes after transforming? When you're transformed you're a different race, and your attributes are described according to racial average for a werelizard rather than whatever race you began as. So maybe you're just weak for a werelizard.
>>
>>165095139
Someone from your hometown joined the army/bandits/refugee band?
>>
>>165089425
can somebody screencap all 4 posts so I can asociate it with your future drawing?
>>
File: NIGHT_CREATURE_3.png (41KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NIGHT_CREATURE_3.png
41KB, 1920x1080px
>>165096726
They are part of a roaming squad of soldiers who know me so they're friendly (and several of them are cats, plus I think I saw a horse in the other tent?) but I don't think they're hearthpersons so it's pretty fucking weird.

>>165096690
The wiki is wrong, just checked this one, it's the werehyena transformation, if there were boosts it would say stuff like:
creature_interaction_effect_phys_att_changest like it does under the vampire interactions.
>>
>>165098070
>several of them are cats, plus I think I saw a horse in the other tent
Doesn't that make the refugee hypothesis even more likely? It seems like random domestic pets from some hamlet.

Remember that everyone turns into a soldier when they travel in groups.
>>
>>165098070
Is that while it's transformed? I interpreted the wiki as meaning that the att boost applies during transformation, not to the untransformed creature.
>>
File: 2017_01_09_17_49_40.jpg (213KB, 1036x656px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_09_17_49_40.jpg
213KB, 1036x656px
ugly.
>>
>>165099863
>not an eight legged biped
shiggy digggy
>>
File: around elves.png (213KB, 387x375px) Image search: [Google]
around elves.png
213KB, 387x375px
dorfs r gay desu
>>
>>165101757
ur a gay
>>
File: 2017_01_09_18_18_30.jpg (201KB, 863x1169px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_09_18_18_30.jpg
201KB, 863x1169px
>>165101562(Vos)
>>
>>165094473
>They get bored and leave eventually.
How long is eventually? Weeks? Months? Whole seasons?
>>
File: WhatDidIDo.png (92KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhatDidIDo.png
92KB, 1920x1080px
>>165099327
They aren't refugees though, they're roaming around during the day "on a mission" appanrelty.

>>165099335
That's the body transformation to the werebeast and the no aging flag.

The werebeast attributes are set in the race entry.
>>
>>165104690
>APPANRELTY
>>
>>165103710
Dunno, it's been years since I've tried to wait out a siege. Try it and let us know?
>>
>>165105654
Do trade caravans show up during sieges?
>>
File: damnnudists.png (13KB, 276x253px) Image search: [Google]
damnnudists.png
13KB, 276x253px
I have an entire performance troupe of nudists occupying my tavern's balcony area. I imagine everyone else thinks there's some debauchery going on up there.
>>
File: ThatEngravingIsOfMe.png (64KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatEngravingIsOfMe.png
64KB, 1920x1080px
>>165106778
Magma those fuckers.
>>
If you want to control the items used to create an artifact, do it before the dwarf begins the mysterious construction... If you forbid any item thats being used (TSK), the dwarf will not replace the item, and eventually go insane.
>>
>>165107557
That's the thing. I'm trying to have a peaceful little mountain tavern but I keep being inconvenienced by necros/goblins/nudists.
I hired some mercs to act as bouncers and I did remove the goblin performers from this plane as the idea of free-swinging gob parts troubles me, but they keep coming and my lovely sand pear wood floors are being soaked in blood...
>>
>>165099863
>it moves deliberatly
SP00K
>>
File: goblin dancing.png (29KB, 1136x388px) Image search: [Google]
goblin dancing.png
29KB, 1136x388px
>>165108487
>Goblin nudists
>>
>>165106608
No.
>>
File: 1475384066335.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1475384066335.png
226KB, 468x345px
So a child in my fortress got its ass bitten by a wereskunk. Is there a way to quarantine it before it transforms? Fucker straight up ignores the burrow he's placed in.
>>
Will visitors get caught in cage traps?
>>
>>165116096
Unfortunately no. It seems elf bards and goblin scholars are TRAPAVOID.
>>
>>165116096
Not unless they get stunned or webbed.
Get creative.
>>
>>165094791
>>165095182
Damn, that's a nice looking fort
>>
File: WaterfortDown.png (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WaterfortDown.png
108KB, 1920x1080px
>>165116590
Unless knocked out!
>>
>>165113339
You're probably not using burrows correctly, they need to be activated in the alert screen if I remember correctly.
>>
Can units(dwarves) fire UP the y axis?
>>
>>165124901
depending on the angle, yes
>>
File: 58014520.png (536KB, 1440x876px) Image search: [Google]
58014520.png
536KB, 1440x876px
>a dragon, that is also the creature with the most kills in the world, come to my fortress
>to my above, bronze only, no crossbow, no traps fortress
I'm' so fucked
>>
>>165125623
You better post the carnage, anon.
>>
>>165125623
Try and lure it into a cage trap, then train it
>>
>>165128168
>no traps
>use a trap
>>
>>165128670
I figured "no traps" meant that no traps were currently constructed, not that he was avoiding using traps entirely
>>
>>165129171
Fair enough, could also have meant no dickgirlboipussy too.
>>
File: region12-00470-01-15-world_map.png (334KB, 1560x2340px) Image search: [Google]
region12-00470-01-15-world_map.png
334KB, 1560x2340px
Well, reducing the number of beasts down to two mega/semi got me a world in the draconic age, and it's apparently living in a camp with four elves, two goblins, and a tortoise demon, so I guess I'm gonna go find that vault, then push the world into the golden age with my new tortoise demon buddy.
>>
File: 2017_01_10_01_08_43.jpg (511KB, 1769x1322px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_10_01_08_43.jpg
511KB, 1769x1322px
>>165088331
>>
>>165131957
Hahaha, fuck, well done.
>>
File: The wall.jpg (2MB, 2888x1977px) Image search: [Google]
The wall.jpg
2MB, 2888x1977px
>>165132250
Thanks!
>>
File: 221YearsAgo.png (102KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
221YearsAgo.png
102KB, 1920x1080px
>>165133705
>the engravings have an OOOOOO
>some dick adding a shitty doodle to a masterful engraving
>some ass named drew scribbled their name on it too

So I'm talking to this dude, the people told me about the ruler, and how the blood-drinker there won't allow any chattel to rise, I figure though that the dude would be a bit more careful.

"Yeah, two hundred years ago my younger brother died of old age, and my uncle died of old age almost a hundred years before then."
"I was this job for fourty years, that job for fourty years, I did this other job for sixteen years, a different one for fourty years, I dabbled in a whole other job for fourty years, and oh yeah, I wandered the wilds for nine years."

Yet he'll still act surprised and outraged if I call him out for being an immortal monster subsisting on the blood of unsuspecting victims.
>>
File: 294YearsAgo.png (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
294YearsAgo.png
99KB, 1920x1080px
>>165136337
>>
>>165111954
Disgusting.
Commanding militia to make "debauched hand gestures" at visiting poets in the moments before beheading when?

>>165129171
I think he's that anon who took challenge requests earlier.
>>165125623
Post results!
>>
>>165140134
>Commanding militia to make "debauched hand gestures" at visiting poets in the moments before beheading when?
It should be possible to mod in a "give the finger" interaction, and have NPCs use it in the same situations as spitting.
>>
>>165140348
>The gap-toothed drunk leers at the long-hair elf poet!
>The long-hair elf poet turns her nose up at the gap-toothed drunk!
>The gap-toothed drunk has become enraged!
>The gap-toothed drunk flashes the long-hair elf poet!

I... might just mess around with this.
>>
>>165140615
Just remember that this is the interactions they do at someone who slaughtered their children in front of them. Making it seem too much like "funny banter" will ruin the immersion of the game.
>>
>>165141113
Yeah I just had a look through them and there is only NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE so there goes that idea.
>>
>>165141970
Giving the finger will still work pretty good. It also has that comfy edgy anarchronistic feeling to it, like in the medieval themed Timbuk drawing where they mention telephones.
>>
What did they mean by this?
>>
File: scuffle.png (46KB, 1334x153px) Image search: [Google]
scuffle.png
46KB, 1334x153px
>>
File: 1481631508244.png (6KB, 527x253px) Image search: [Google]
1481631508244.png
6KB, 527x253px
>things were finally getting interesting in my haunted embark
>save game after several hours
>accidentally kick my PC's power cable out
>delet the world in blind rage
>>
File: NoHitting.png (113KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NoHitting.png
113KB, 1920x1080px
>asshole recruit trying to attack my bro macegob
>fuck that shit
>take a guess and catch their hand
>it was the one they were punching with
>we 80's action hero now

>>165146808
They just wrassled a bit.
>>
What use do I have for artifact level toys?
>>
>>165149071
chilluns will have fun playing with them
>>
File: SplatGoesYourFriend.png (121KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SplatGoesYourFriend.png
121KB, 1920x1080px
>>165149130
Probably be more useful for when they decide to flip out and lodge on in the head of their friend.
>>
fuck were-creatures and fuck me for not handling them good enough
shit, a werecreature's bite should not always mean that the bitten person is gonna transform man, it could give you special passive abilities or stuff like that.
That way, werecreatures wouldnt be so dull and you'd get very interesting shit

I dunno, for example, imagine if>>165113339 's kid simply gained the ability to make farts, and deal damage and/or give syndromes with the gas, because he got bitten by a were-skunk
That would be rad, and it makes sense
>>
>>165149225
you don't have walls or doors?
>>
>>165149225
>shit, a werecreature's bite should not always mean that the bitten person is gonna transform man
It doesn't. There's a roll that determines whether they get infected or not.
>>
File: TimeForAHotFoot.png (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TimeForAHotFoot.png
132KB, 1920x1080px
>>165149461
Yup, and I think it's tied to disease resistance or some shit, I've had people that I barely nibble on turn for sure, I've had others that I ended up covering their entire body in scars (bite/travel away to see if they turn and so they don't bleed out, repeat) and still never turned.
>>
>>165149858
I must say, I really appreciate how you BTFO'd that "werebeast infection rate is not 100%" denier with some hard facts.

That's the kind of misinfo we can't afford to let spread through the community.
>>
File: WereNobles.png (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WereNobles.png
116KB, 1920x1080px
>>165150607
Well, if there's one thing I've got practice at, it's turning people into werebeasts.
>>
>>165149858
When you did the test anon below you referenced you noted, clearly, specifically, and without any equivocation, that there was no apparent link between disease resistance and whether or not the bitten turned into werebeasts.
>>
File: Akane25.gif (2MB, 320x250px) Image search: [Google]
Akane25.gif
2MB, 320x250px
>A giant Kea has stolen Kabsebir
>>
>>165152082
Well, it's the only thing I can think of that would explain it since otherwise there just end up being these flukey folks who simply won't turn for a ridiculously long time, but yeah I can't say for sure that it was ever shown that there was any sort of link.
>>
bmup
>>
Can shit stolen by keas ever be retrieved?
>>
>>165157397
Everything keas steal go to their main nest, which they call keangdom. They store it in the treasure room, right beside their monarch, the Flying Keaman.
>>
>>165157569
so you be sayin they wuz keangz n shiet?
>>
>>165157569
WE
>>
>>165157747
>>165157569
WUZ
>>
>>165157857
KEANGZ
>>
>>165157569
>>165157673
>>165157747
>>165157857
>>165158140

/dfg/
>>
>>165160080
>reddit
>>
File: KEANGZ.png (244KB, 397x402px) Image search: [Google]
KEANGZ.png
244KB, 397x402px
>>165157569
>>165157673
>>165157747
>>165157857
>>165158140
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qENemE6TrLA
>>
>>165161109
you sound clinically depressed, it's making me feel bad about trying to listen to other things.
>>
File: 1482964253850.jpg (106KB, 593x578px) Image search: [Google]
1482964253850.jpg
106KB, 593x578px
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkj7i9RNlhg
>>
>>
>>165160859
This one is pretty funny.
>>
>>165168393
thanks anon, spent whole 2 minutes on it
>>
>>165168474
>FEULCVKES
>>
File: The Meme Bunker.png (6KB, 297x257px) Image search: [Google]
The Meme Bunker.png
6KB, 297x257px
>>165169182
oh come on anon, there's no way you could read it like that
>>
>>165169313
it's a meme you dip
>>
File: 1447618120073.png (80KB, 1249x427px) Image search: [Google]
1447618120073.png
80KB, 1249x427px
>>165169394
I know, I tried to find the original pic it came from, but couldn't be assed
>>
>>165169484
>GTEAHLSEVES
>>
File: 1430618588488.png (122KB, 1920x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1430618588488.png
122KB, 1920x1046px
>>165169484
>>165169313
Hey, I made that bunker!
Shame I lost the save
>>
File: 1445718273486.png (358KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1445718273486.png
358KB, 1920x1080px
>>165170249
There are many saves in my past I hate myself for losing
>>
File: fuckelves.png (33KB, 539x828px) Image search: [Google]
fuckelves.png
33KB, 539x828px
>>165169484
>>
>>165170334
feul cvkes?

you mean foul cakes?
>>
File: oy vey.png (220KB, 1112x964px) Image search: [Google]
oy vey.png
220KB, 1112x964px
>>165170334
thank you anon
>>
File: TieredWaterfall.png (61KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TieredWaterfall.png
61KB, 1920x1080px
>>165170476
>>
File: ImwW2qX.png (334KB, 1858x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ImwW2qX.png
334KB, 1858x1080px
>>165171279
>>
File: morerocsjeez.png (6KB, 1282x83px) Image search: [Google]
morerocsjeez.png
6KB, 1282x83px
>>165171396
>>
File: ss+(2015-02-20+at+04.44.40).png (64KB, 1408x663px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-02-20+at+04.44.40).png
64KB, 1408x663px
>>165171536
>3394 Rocs
jesus fucking christ
who the fuck had time to count that shit
>>
whats /best youtube letsplay/ that has light explanitory commentary and maybe, maybe, some comedic story commentary.

im talking recent fort mode.
>>
File: cudal.png (69KB, 430x315px) Image search: [Google]
cudal.png
69KB, 430x315px
>>165172498
>youtube letsplay
>>
File: morerocsjeez1.png (7KB, 1325x83px) Image search: [Google]
morerocsjeez1.png
7KB, 1325x83px
>>165171725
Some of the fuckers in town had interesting last thoughts, thought I had another shot which was like "The SECOND Roc Rampage in Someplace. Two Thousand Seven Hundred Plus Rocs Attack!"

'...guys, did it just get dark outside?'
"Oh goddammit, not THIS shit again."
>>
>>165172790
Why do I keep seeing this pic posted here?
>>
>>165171725
>One Roc ah ah ah... Two Rocs ah ah ah... Three
>Wait, did I already count that one? Hold still dammit!
>The Roc bites Count Urist McCount, dwarven vampire, in the 3rd finger, right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
>Count Urist McCount has become enraged!
>>
>>165172790
>my computer cant run it so i will dorf through others.
>>
bamp
>>
>>165173432
One guy posts it over and over.
>>
File: SnowTreesAurora_Destribats_3000.jpg (545KB, 3000x2002px) Image search: [Google]
SnowTreesAurora_Destribats_3000.jpg
545KB, 3000x2002px
Okay /dfg/ I've been watching Games Done Quick and now I have an incredibly stupid question for you: What kind of Dwarf Fortress speedrun would you like to see? Just assume everyone's computers runs the same speed. Besides generating a certain amount of wealth or building a certain structure I couldn't come up with any interesting categories.
>>
Tiny map adventure titan hunt?
That would take hours if you start as a peasant adventurer >starting as anything else
>>
>>165178109
Becoming the mountainhome, I guess. Maybe pull the plug and get rekt by the demons.
>>
>>165178109
You could always measure in frames.
As for categories;
>die as fast as possible.
I assume this will be really fast.

>some adventure mode thing.
Like lose fortress, then reclaim it as adventurer.

Or, with a given world, kill all 10 titans.
That brings up a huge problem though. With different worlds, the frame conditions always change. So you'd need some reference world to make it competitive.
>>
>>165178890
Couldn't he use the world seeds to make a pocket world with only one civilisation and a constant number of titans?
>>
File: IAmAlreadyDead.gif (393KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IAmAlreadyDead.gif
393KB, 1920x1080px
>>165178890
>>
my computer is absolutely shit absolutely shit as in my phone is literally better in all regards other than desktop OS but i was wondering if i could maybe maybe maybe run a world on a 1x1 or 1x2 embark on a pocket world and still enjoy it enough and not really struggle too much on finding an embark location?
>>
>>165180612
only you can tell us bud
>>
>>165180612
DF can run on nearly anything. It may not run well on your antique tuber, but if you gen small, embark small, build small, popcap small you'll get a reasonable amount of playtime before your fps sinks.
>>
File: 1459687975657.jpg (268KB, 969x824px) Image search: [Google]
1459687975657.jpg
268KB, 969x824px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0
>>
File: opal.png (281KB, 1333x888px) Image search: [Google]
opal.png
281KB, 1333x888px
>>>164992883
>calenda
wîp
>>
.>>165183001
>yogscast
>>
>>165184660
regardless of whether or not you like the yogscast it's pretty dwarfy m8. the creator of the content does not determine the quality or relevance of the content itself.
>>
>>165185061
I enjoy it less solely because it involves Yogscast.
>>
>>165185061

>If I found out you had rubbed your dick on the candy I'm eating, that doesn't make it any less tasty!
>>
>>165186687
>paying attention to which asshole is which on youtube
>caring
>>
>>165188569
Well technically that's true. If it doesn't change the taste then it doesn't, and the same applies here, it's mental shit in both situations.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (136KB, 1110x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
136KB, 1110x1016px
>Dining Hall, Inn, Trade Depot, and Fighting zone all in 1 location (circle)
>Trying to on 1z level as much as possible expect for nobles because theyre too cool for that
this is worst thing ive ever done
Am I missing anything? Not sure where id put a temple or library
farms on level above
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (115KB, 1032x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
115KB, 1032x1016px
>>165188951
Woops, I meant to edit this one but I put the old one
basically just rounds corners for aesthetics
>>
Aight so is the game playable on the latest version now that dfhack hasn't been updated for it
>>
>>165183001
Disgusting
>>
>>165188951
>mechs
>the unidentified dwarven mecha just destroyed three of our units
>OH GOD
>IT'S A URISTAM

Put the temple/library beside the hospital/barracks, hospital so they can pray and watch the dying, barracks so they can slaughter the scholars when they start shit.

>>165189256
The 43.05 alpha 4 is almost completely updated, and perfectly functional for damn near everything anyone would use it for.
>>
>>165189184
I find giving each industry its own z-level and setting up a second stairwell dedicated to reaching the stockpile level works better than setting them all up on the same z-level.
>>
Does anyone have the roll image for dwarf fort? that one where u roll a number here to choose where ur fort is going to be placed and all that jazz
>>
>>165188951
>Stone at opposite end of metal industry

I'm gonna guess you have an ore pile somewhere else?
>>
>>165190259
Smiths hold economic ore and fuel, like smelters, blacksmith have the bars
>>
>>165188607
>caring about anything and not just being an edgy 13-year old that doesn't care about anyone or thing
I don't like Yogscast. I don't see the issue. Is it because it's trivial?
>>
WHERE'S THE FUCKING SEX MOD?!
>>
File: gifefe.gif (380KB, 683x382px) Image search: [Google]
gifefe.gif
380KB, 683x382px
>>165191202
it's a hoax dog
>>
File: WhoUploadedThisOne.png (603KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhoUploadedThisOne.png
603KB, 1920x1080px
>>165191182
I haven't been an edgy 13 year old since the early 90's sweetheart, and I was awful.

If it's trivial, then it isn't worth caring about, you care enough to dislike it, see the problem there?

My real point is, why the hell would you scroll the viewer window down where you could see whoever put it up, or... dear armok... the comments?

>>165191202
>fucking sex mod

>>165191389
>hoax dog

That shouldn't be amusing, why is it?
>>
>>165191720
I appreciate you treating me like a child while acting like you have never felt any feeling about anything remotely trivial since you were young.

I know it's trivial, but that doesn't make me not care. It's not like it ruins my life or some shit, but I don't like what they make because of them.
>>
>>165191720
John Darnielle is such a weird looking mother fucker man.
>>
>>165192757
Truly, but goddamn the fucker is a gift.

>>165191982
This is where I say "you started it!" and toss in a "neener neener neener" right?
>>
File: deathcurses.png (212KB, 1514x1103px) Image search: [Google]
deathcurses.png
212KB, 1514x1103px
Rate my current fort.
>>
File: 2017_01_10_16_45_01.jpg (1MB, 2903x1586px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_10_16_45_01.jpg
1MB, 2903x1586px
Fed goblins.
Dwarf Bootlegging.
Family feuds.
Injuns.
Square dancing.
>>
So all the repetition and clunkiness of adventure mode, part of the charm or an annoyance that needs to be fixed?
>>
>>165196069
edgy/10
>>
>>165196272
gatherQuests.lua and rumors.lua
>>
>>165191720
IT'S AMUSING BECAUSE THERE'S NO SEX MOD, WHEN THERE NEEDS TO BE ONE.
>>
>>165196069
>bookkeeper precision not at highest
2/10
>>
File: 2017_01_10_17_20_38.jpg (314KB, 1553x1069px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_10_17_20_38.jpg
314KB, 1553x1069px
>>165183608
Cozy
>>
>>165191720
>why the hell would you scroll the viewer window down where you could see whoever put it up
i started it he continued it let me finish it
i didnt look who posted it, actually i really enjoyed it throughout and even got a bit feelsy cause im having a horrible day. anyway, at the very end there is a plug for a yogscast t shirt and it put a sour taste in my mouth so i meme b8ed on a middle eastern curry tutorial fourum. i didnt mean to rustle and was actually not expecting an argument to arise cause i think highly of fort players, i just simply dont like yogscast. take posts with a grain of salt man it makes this site much more palatable.
>>
>Travelling around on my adventurer, about to go fuck up a forest titan
>Notice an asterisk right on the outskirts of a Hamlet I'm passing by, head over to investigate
>"You feel uneasy", Goblin spearman and archer hanging out on a bridge, armed but in clothes (Spearman doesn't even have a shield)
>They approach me as I head towards the bridge but don't start a fight. One of them greets me
>Greet him back, I note that I don't give him the usual bandit greeting
>Discuss the weather and so forth
>Say goodbye and turn to leave
>Suddenly they put their fists up and start shouting at me to yield
>AMIUNDERARREST.mp4
>One of them throws a punch, throw a punch back and his head just goes all over the place
>His companion instantly surrenders and runs off in fear

Asked about in the hamlet and turns out they're part of a bandit group terrorizing the residents, going to take a detour to their camp and see what's up.

It's like I got robbed by the two most inept bandits this side of the mountain of yawning.
>>
File: 1381327777132.jpg (176KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
1381327777132.jpg
176KB, 615x461px
>Invaders arrives

>about 50 goblins

>Quickly go to activate the bridge in the Fortress lever room

>forget that its over 20 levers there and i haven't played for 2 weeks

>Okey....i got this

>Pull lever one...its the flood control for the mid level defense,,,,claims the life of 4 miners

>Awww shit...invaders are now rallying and coming for the gate.

>Pull lever 2.....opens the gate to my prisoner killing pack of giant wolfs...panic ensure and the only way for the 7 dwarfs on that level is blocked by water on the middle floor... they get gnawed to death

>Now panicking.....pull lever 3-7 in panic

>Drawbridge goes up and militias assembled behind bridge

>moments later the entire militia falls into the lava pit below

Yeahh this is what despair feels like
>>
>>165200156
>cartographer dwarf scans the area, talking to locals about the place, its economy, and its crime
>meet with a group of mercinaries
>the crime here is just a bunch of pussy goblins, we spend most of our time sleeping
>urist takes notes then moves on to the next place
>mountains of yawning.
>>
are donkeys good guard dogs like irl or just good for meat?
>>
>>165200156
>start off as a mountain goat man in a town
>take about 5 fast travel steps through the town
>You feel uneasy.
>No Quarter greasy haired pikeman charging down the street towards me
>ask him to cease hostilities: Never!
>try to run
>immediately severs an artery in my free arm
>pull out spear
>stabs my other arm and I drop the spear
>start kicking him with my hooves, bruise a lung
>stabs me in both hooves and shatters them
>manage to bite his hands and neck, he starts punching me as I roll around on the ground
>start biting his head
>eventually bite him enough that I cause bleeding in his brain
>he passes out and I continue to chew on his head
>start crawling away as he bleeds to death

Well that's one way to start an adventure.
>>
>>165200028
Now, the ads I can totally appreciate as a reason to get pissed off at them. I almost broke down in a frothing rage when my "FUCK YOU ANNOTATIONS DIE EVERYWHERE AND NEVER COME BACK" script broke recently.
>>
uhhhhh help? dwarf therapist is saying i dont have df running even though i do. so i was wondering if
>i have the wrong memory layouts as my current df and how i could fix them
>dfhacks autolabor works well enough that i dont have to worry about it
>>
Stupid question, how do i get tilesets to work? Every time i try to use one it either doesn't work or comes out distorted.
>>
>>165204227
What size screen.

For 1920x1080 you want 80x45 with a 24x24, or 80x30 with a 24x36, same math for a 1366x768 but you use 16x16 or 16x24, and for a larger 2560x1440 you use a 32x32 or 32x48 set.
>>
>>165204802
Just what i needed, thanks
>>
>>165200521
I currently have 73 notes in my fort and all except one are there to remind me what a lever does. You should adopt that system.
>>
>>165201129
Depends. Do you want them to fight, or to detect hidden invaders? If the latter, they'll be very effective at that, but then again so will every other domestic animal, including the ones that don't need to graze.
>>
>>165206889
>what does the other note do
>what sort of lever needs 72 notes to explain it

>>165205507
Not a prob.
>>
>>165207118
Each note is on a different lever. The one that isn't is for a station order at my trade depot. It's very near to a map edge, which happens to also be the only portion of the map that any creatures, friend or foe, will spawn on.
>>
>>165172498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZPKVzkECc
Does art work and a fucktonne of editing. 10/10
>>
>>165200521
What i do is have my most used levers visually displayed near my meeting hall. Like i normally have four bridges leading into my fort on ground level and have them set up like this(X dirt O lever)

XOX
OXO
XOX

any more levers would be placed left or right of this main setup depending if they are higher or lower Z levels. So my pit of death drop above the fort goes to the left and the bridges quarantining the ancient abomination in the new caves below on the right

XXXXOXXXX
OXXOXOXXO
OXXXOXXXX

Takes very little memorization to pull this off, for me atleast
>>
>>165207742
Well that's much less exciting.
>>
>>165209062
How is one lever more exciting than 72 of them?
>>
>>165207742
I more confused as to why you need 72 levers
>>
>>165209569
>>165210505
not him but it seems to me that 72 levers are 72 times more exciting than a single lever
>>
I'm using 43.05, with dfhack, and I've noticed that I can't assign papermaking or bookbinding
>>
>>165210587
Crivens, one lever that needs 72 notes to explain it must be a verra 'mportant lever if ye dinna ken what ai'm talkin aboot?
>>
>>165211160
>72 notes of "dont pull if dwarves are here" "pull if there are enemies" "pull if its a noble or diplomat" and "pull if youre bored ;)"
>>
>>165215015
>last note is "pull you're life together"
>>
>>165200521
Here's the trick
>go through each level and assign a "link up bridge" job to them
>scroll through the bridges available for link
>if the bridge you want to activate is available to link, cancel the job and check the next lever
>when you find the level that cannot link to the bridge you want, pull it
>GG
>>
>>165215015
That actually makes sense, having one lever with notes based on locations. "Safe if empty" "Pull for fun"
>>
>>165210675
Not a big loss, since libraries are currently bugged.
Dwarves are given a job to read every new text that enters your library, and this job is of the absolute highest priority, higher than eating, drinking or sleeping.
If you have too many books being made, your dwarves will starve to death, and the only way to avoid it is to never make a library.
>>
>>165217143
>autistic man gives virtual dwarves life threatening OCD autism
wew toady
>>
How come dwarfhack doesnt open? I have tried normal and alpha, both versions when ran open a blank window for a split second then close, no error or nothin.
>>
>>165217713
have you got the right version?
>>
>>165210505
More than half of them are for various plumbing applications, and a lot of that plumbing is still dry/cold pending further progress of my plans. The rest is a hodgepodge of cavern entrances/exits, collapses, machine linkages and prisoner management. I've probably got nearly as many levers that haven't been linked to anything, and more yet to be built.
>>
so is it possible to order my dwarfs to kill things that are chained up? and if so, what's the weakest weapon in the game? candy hammer? feather wood shit? i want them to beat but not kill my prisoners
>>
>>165217143
That hasn't been my experience at all. The only times I've had dwarves read in my libraries is when they have nothing else to do, and they certainly haven't neglected any their vital needs to read. Even when I put dwarves on holiday they'll often elect to tell stories in the tavern or pray rather than read.
>>
>>165219028
How many books did you have in your library?
It wasn't a problem for me until I got around 250-300 books. Then it got so bad that over half my dwarves were reading at any given moment.
By around 400 books, I had someone almost die of dehydration, so I shut down the library and the tavern, mass forbid everything inside the library, and left the temple as the only meeting hall, and it fixed everything.
>>
>>165218559
Probably, and a light wooden blowgun or candy hammer.
>>
Newfag here, started playing a week ago using the Lazy Newb Pack that uses DF v. 43.03.

After reading through this thread a bit, I realized I don't have the latest DF version. So my question is; Should I go vanilla and grab the latest version without using DFHack (I honestly don't know what it's doing inside DF, I just notice it has a search option sometimes), or just stick with the LNP since it's just a release or 2 behind? Guess I should mention I also use the Bisasam 16x16 font and graphics font (which is what the LNP defaulted to when I chose ASCII in the LNP menu), but I can use the default tileset if need be, I just think it looks pretty ugly.
>>
>>165222419
Also, just.
>>
>>165222419
if you don't use therapist there's no reason why you shouldn't play latest
>>
does the 64 bit version actually run noticeably better?
>>
>>165222579
Never used therapist, but, I do have about 30 dwarfs that idle like hell after 2 immigration waves. Guess I should branch out my industries more
>>
File: BigaSquareAscii.png (107KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
BigaSquareAscii.png
107KB, 576x576px
>>165222583
On sites with higher pops, longer world gens, older forts, yes, the slowdown doesn't hit as hard and takes longer to trail off into fps death.

>>165222419
>>
>>165222763
I'd switch over to vanilla then. Changing tilesets isn't that hard either, just copy your preferred one over from whatever version you're using and edit the init. instructions here if you can't figure it out on your own.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository
>>
>>165223272
>>165223318
>>165222579
Thanks anons. Gonna start migrating shit.

Also that BigaSquareAscii looks like the Bisasam set, is it updated for the latest version?
>>
>>165222763
ive found that making fuckhuge projects early on (large meetinghall, having an active carpender, stonecrafter and mason at all times, etc) generally reduces issues
I also turn on [only farmers harvest] and set ALL non important dwarves as peasants who do pretty much all the non-skill-intensive skills (farming, soaping, plant gathering, etc)
Then all the important dwarves (mason, miners, ya'know) pretty much are set to only do their one sided job

also having miners smooth and mine is great because then they can make masterwork engravings everywhere
>>
>>165223481
Thanks for the advice.

Do you have your miners smooth while they are digging? I actually ended up turning off all other labors for my diggers since they wound up digging until a rock or whatever dropped and then they hauled that to a stockpile
>>
>>165222583
>>165223272
64 bit dwarf therapist when?
>>
>>165224094
DFhack has a built in version and the latest release is pretty stable.
>>
>>165223742
smoothing is usually after I run out of things for them to do
Ill dig out some 200 bedrooms and rooms for temples/hospital/production lines/etc
Once I feel like theres nothing I /NEED/ to dig out ill smooth the entire meeting hall, then nobles quarters (or nobles first depending on how quickly shit goes) then rooms etc. By then the dwarves have lots of smoothing experience so I make them engrave the meetinghall, then the peons bedrooms, then the nobles quarters
in between (because I usually set engrave/smooth jobs to priority 5/4) ill tell them to dig shit out like more rooms or pits to hold animals, breaching the caverns, my elaborate traproom and soforth,

If I reccomended anything to you its to find out some sort of cookie cutter design you can figure out for each time you build a fortress, because even if you lose the fortress you can always rebuild any breakthroughs in design
>>
>>165224141
What's the command?
>>
>>165223479
>is it updated for the latest version?
all tilesets work for basically all versions
>>
>>165222419
You don't need LNP to use a tileset other than the default one. I recommend updating.
>>
>>165225083
go to the units screen and press l.
>>
>>165225475
Ahh ok.

>>165225532
Yeah, just migrated over the tileset and my saves. Guess DFHack gave me the selection size when designating shit too, since DF isn't showing me the sizes anymore
>>
>>165225675
thanks, looks like hot garbage compared to dwarf therapist but i think it'll be worth playing on the 64 bit version.
>>
File: curses_24x24.png (6KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
curses_24x24.png
6KB, 384x384px
>>165223479
It's just an upscaled one I did because it was easier to rescale to that size when I was desquaring it, and I used that opportunity to restore some of the tiles to their ascii style.

There's also this which Rogue Yun made from the curses_640x300 set without the same scaling errors Toady's version (the 16x16) has.

>>165225083
[u]nits > [l]abors I think?

>>165225891
Jigga what? You don't gotta open up another window, no stupid sideways text, no annoying clash between the game colors and whatever the fuck therapist uses, AND you can run commands on units from the manipulator screen/view them normally/etc?
>>
File: TafferLetters+1.png (8KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
TafferLetters+1.png
8KB, 320x320px
>>165223479
Also grabbed this recently from Taffer who has a HUGE selection of variants over on their thread, but this one's got the neat ground tiles and wall shading built-in!
>>
Finally got my shit migrated. I think the biggest annoyance for me was the default color scheme. The dark blue text on black background was killing my eyes.

What's the general consensus on DFHack? What's it even do? Only reason I might grab the latest alpha is for it's ability to tell you the size of designations
>>
>>165228137
Lots of stuff
>>
>>165228137
Bugfixes, search, interface tweaks, troubleshooting options, and much more.
>>
I'm trying to do a big boss adventurer run but god damn, I can't grapple shit
>>
File: toadyone.png (1KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
toadyone.png
1KB, 32x32px
>Ha ha, this rabbit hole is pretty deep! There was a cascading split of various reputation data objects according to true, visual, historical and false identities, and lots of tracing up and down partial data to see where a new bit of information should be stored or what it implies. It is taking a while to sort it out. My brain broke a few days ago, but I feel more like we're coasting downhill on it now. Some problems we had of rumors revealing the identities of people they shouldn't have (especially as the rumors aged) have been patched up -- it can keep track of information about false identities indefinitely, and it can also keep track of independent reputations for the same person between several identities, even for old data where that distinction used to improperly collapse.

>>165228881
What's your skill, what race, how big are you, how strong/agile/focused are you?
>>
>>165228814
Went ahead and grabbed the latest alpha. Were autojobs a thing in the base game? I'm noticing my kitchen has a job with an A next to it and I know I didn't assign no kitchen bitches to do shit yet
>>
>>165229230
Kinda I think there is, I turn it off though.
>>
>>165229230
>>165229683
They render fat automatically, if that's what you mean. You might want to turn it off, since rendered fat can't be used in the paper industry.
>>
>>165229128
I tried a mantis man with super agility and high strength with autistic levels of focus and spacial awareness but I didn't put anything into fighter. I think that's where I fukt.
>>
>>165230526
They're tiny too.
>>
>>165178109
Read through Legends and compose a compelling short story about the world and its inhabitants.
>>
>>165230817
what's a good animal sneaky grappler? I'm trying brown recluse man right now
>>
>>165178109
If adventure mode, fastest time to start a peasant adventurer & kill the demon master of the goblins, then return home with his skull and retire.

Raws must be vanilla, and CPU speed would definitely be a factor.

World size/other settings up to discretion of speedrunner, but going into advanced worldgen and generating the world counts for part of your time.

Would be a really infuriating run for anyone trying to get the best time, so much RNG.
>>
File: LetsAttackTheBarbarianElephant.png (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LetsAttackTheBarbarianElephant.png
111KB, 1920x1080px
>>165231362
Well, set the weretypes to 0, bogeymen to 0, vamp to whatever, start out in or near a town, topple a statue, sprint over there through the fort, grab a quiver off a goblin en route, toss bolts at the master until they fall over, brain them, run out.

>>165231297
Polar Bear Man? If you have [GRASP] added to trunks (like it should be) then Elephant Man?
>>
>>165232468
What makes Polar bear man any better than say monitor lizard man?
>>
>>165232679
Nothing really off the top of my head, but I've never had a challenge from a monitor lizard, had a couple polar bears scare the crap out of me though, never mind the giant zombie ones!
>>
>>165231297
Going with bug-dudes is a bad play. You want big creatures for wrestling. The bigger you are the better your potential apex wrestler will be. Playing as a brown recluse spider man puts a hard cap on your potential wrestling efficacy, and pretty much guarantees you won't be able taking down anything much bigger than a kobold.
>>
>>165232943
I guess in my mind, six arms in play would be a nightmare to be grappled by. They seem to be sneaky as all fuck but it doesn't help one bit if I can't actually have my way with them
>>
>>165232679
Polar bear men are objectively more dangerous than monitor lizard men, being 4x larger. Their RAW composition I imagine is a bit more beefy too.
>>
>>165233062
Sneaky Beaky is my main priority, so having a big lumbering fuckfest of a creature seems like it's going to be a lot harder to sneak up on someone
>>
>>165232679
I think you're applying werewolf lore to these things. They're not men turned animal, but a cross between them. You have to take into consideration size and other characteristics.

or maybe I'm talking bullshit who knows what goes on that toad shit's head
>>
>>165233125
Size is mostly irrelevant in adventurer anyone because you can do cheesy shit like carrying 6 shields if you have 6 arms (spider men) or sneak up on someone and choke them out without them knowing you're there.
>>
>>165231297
Human or rhino/elephant/tiger man is your best bet. The list of large animal people is pretty small. You will want to be close to the size of a human if you want to grapple humans. Elf could do it, but it would need higher skill/strength, iirc.
>>
>>165233245
> I just want to silently wrestle bandits to the ground and tear their throats out as some kind of animal man
Is this too much to ask? I don't even give a shit about what kind of animal I am
>>
>>165233125
Isn't Big Boss like 6'2 or so?

Having a HUGE profile, like an elephant, might affect your stealth, but anything else isn't much of a big deal. You will be able to grab weapons and hands to interrupt attacks even as a flea man, but if you want to break limbs and choke people out and generally remember the basics of cqc, I would just go with a human like Big Boss
>>
File: GiantLionPrey.png (103KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GiantLionPrey.png
103KB, 1920x1080px
>>165233425
>not just adding [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] and [CANOPENDOORS] to a giant predator and [GRASP] to the small teeth in the large eyetooth body plan
>>
In my next fortress I only want to trade books but I have no idea how to make them, is there a flow chart or something?
>>
>>165233748
I'm beyond new and I have no idea what the fuck this means
>>
>>165233758
try this it looks like it has links to the relevant articles http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Book

it's not very difficult and in my experience there's no issues of availability like with something like glassmaking
>>
So I migrate my stuff to the latest version, set my dwarfs to start removing the natural walls surrounding the place and set up some proper walls because muh aesthetics, and then a werething appears.

A wereweasel I think, and a child one at that. I couldn't raise my drawbridge in time so it ended up killing a farmer and injuring a few others. I was kinda worried because I haven't found any underground water yet (still early on in this save, plus I'm a noob and probably can't do a well anyways), and one of the injured dwarfs couldn't move after the beast was killed.

I decided to put the dwarf out of it's misery by lowering the drawbridge he was conveniently under.

I didn't know that once bitten or scratched or whatever dwarfs can turn into werethings.

It was a decent fortress IMO, only my second real attempt at this game. Maybe this will get me to start making my squads earlier.
>>
>>165235463
That's the best part of seeing people start out, it's fucking wonderful going through the thought processes and trying to work back from knowing how to do all this shit to "welp, time to smash him with a drawbridge" and has me giggling over here, well done!
>>
>>165235463
>>165235692
I was trying to go back to my book but I keep bursting into laughter over this and I'm crying now, fuck, that's amazing man.
>>
>>165235797
It was quite unexpected to say the least. I thought I was gonna be fine after killing the damn thing.
Imagine my surprise when I suddenly see "<dwarf> has turned into a fucking wereweasel." and "<dwarf> has been found dead" spammed in my announcements tab.
>>
>>165235463
Please tell me you're taking screenshots regularly, you'll want them to look back on later.

I told the missus about your situation and got to "so he decided to put him out of his misery" and now she's wheezing and crying too.

Remember, I'm not laughing at you as much as remembering doing shit like that.

God, I had a few early forts where I didn't know how to farm or brew booze so I raced to get a well set up, if I failed and they dehydrated I'd reclaim and try to pick up from where I left off, dwarves running around wondering what they did to be sent to this hellhole full of rotting bodies and I'm sure random carvings of "NO WATER, ONLY BLOOD" here and there.
>>
>>165236025
Except the one you hit with a bridge, he ain't turning into no fucking wereweasel, not on your watch dammit!
>>
>>165236095
Probably gonna start taking screenshots from now on incase I ever get a good story in the makings.

> Remember, I'm not laughing at you as much as remembering doing shit like that.

It's all good. The main reason I got into this game was because of the stories people had from it. I'm actually rereading Boatmurdered right now, and that's probably the most influential one for me. Glad you got a good laugh out of this, I know I did.

"The adventures of Urist McNewbie, death by proxy child wereweasel"
>>
>>165235463
You can always start with one of your dwarves having 5 points in sword and dodge, and embark with an iron shortsword.
Make a wood shield for him early on and he'll be able to deal with anything you run into until you've got a proper fortress with metalworking and military dwarves. That is, unless you accidentally embarked on a dragon's lair or something like that.
>>
File: beforefirstlavatry.png (441KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
beforefirstlavatry.png
441KB, 1920x1080px
>>165236470
Yeah, keep those shots, I wish I had half of the early stuff I did.

I remember trying to flood everything here and learned that magma is not pressurized like water and just kinda creeps along.
>>
File: 2016_12_13_21_46_20.jpg (2MB, 3543x1385px) Image search: [Google]
2016_12_13_21_46_20.jpg
2MB, 3543x1385px
Can I draw anything for you lot?
>>
File: roasted.jpg (25KB, 1197x315px) Image search: [Google]
roasted.jpg
25KB, 1197x315px
>>165238161
some kind of ridiculous sized food item
>>
File: 41515141041040110.png (676KB, 1440x876px) Image search: [Google]
41515141041040110.png
676KB, 1440x876px
>leaves are affected by wind
Goddamn, I din't even know there's was wind in this
>>
>>165238161
A dwarf proudly displaying his newly forged adamantine mace artifact, while surrounded by seasoned smiths who are mad at him for wasting adamantine. Even the fire snake thinks he's an idiot.
>>
>>165238628
Well yeah, how else would windmills be powered?
I had no idea it affected anything except windmills and smelling things in adventure mode though.
>>
File: 1468177847786.jpg (20KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1468177847786.jpg
20KB, 320x320px
>>165238628
>claystone
>>
>>165238161
Figure out how you would represent this: >>165235463 to memorialize the fallen-err-smashed victims of the child wereweasel by proxy.
>>
>>165238812
What is wrong with claystone? It was my only building stone (in the first 5 z-level I have bauxita for furniture, jet for craft and claystone)
>>
>>165239068
It's brown like poo and iirc it's not very abundant. Dig deeper.
>>
>>165239225
>it's not very abundant
It's a layer stone, a very good one too since it's sedimentary. It's about as abundant as it gets.
>>
>>165239343
It still looks like poo.
>>
>>165239225
It's clearly gray in my tileset, you double nigga
>>
File: 1452163609836.jpg (4KB, 189x141px) Image search: [Google]
1452163609836.jpg
4KB, 189x141px
>>165239484
Didn't you like the default poo colour?
>>
>>165239549
The default color is gray too
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Claystone
>>
>>165239631
Oh nice, I was just messing with ya anyway, you could make your fortress out of orthoclase and microcline if you wanted I don't care :^)
>>
File: 1398053500530.jpg (59KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1398053500530.jpg
59KB, 480x640px
>>165239701
>you could make your fortress out of orthoclase and microcline
No.
NO.
UNACCEPTABLE.
>>
>>165239484
Don't you mean, double digga?
>>
File: 2017_01_11_03_50_33.jpg (726KB, 2067x1008px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_11_03_50_33.jpg
726KB, 2067x1008px
>>165238210
The feast will break the table.
>>
File: libertarian man.jpg (14KB, 804x446px) Image search: [Google]
libertarian man.jpg
14KB, 804x446px
>>165240638
ty bb
>>
>my brain broke
I just hope toady dies and the game can finally be developed by someone competent
>>
>trying to make a tyrannosaur megabeast
>turns out they almost certainly could not jump or run at all due to the sheer size of their bodies
>but meanwhile they were excellent swimmers
I wonder if this is how Toady feels when he's adding a new creature and finds out it wasn't anything like he thought it was.
>>
File: carp.png (63KB, 850x320px) Image search: [Google]
carp.png
63KB, 850x320px
>>165241886
>>
File: 1482341064280.png (934KB, 1001x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1482341064280.png
934KB, 1001x1400px
>>165241976
>>
File: 1464466779426.png (98KB, 1879x718px) Image search: [Google]
1464466779426.png
98KB, 1879x718px
Poor cat
>>
File: 2017_01_11_04_47_53.jpg (873KB, 2109x926px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_11_04_47_53.jpg
873KB, 2109x926px
>>165238650
I hope this is good.
>>165241178
welcome you balding single mother state hating pattybacon.

My cat went out the same way.
>>
>>165237741
I had a good laugh the first time I tried embarking on a volcano with a river nearby. I had tried digging a chamber beside it, which I could fill with magma and build some forges above, while simultaneously trying to build a waterfall in my mayors room so he'd be happy. Somehow I ended up flooding half my fortess in water, and half in magma. I remember this one dwarf in his room, trapped by water, with the magma slowly spilling down the hall until it inevitably reached his room and burned the door down.

It was one of my nicer fortress too :(
>>
>>165242517
This is amazing. Thank you so much.
>>
>>165242517
Are those creatures in the forge fire snakes?
>>
File: i feel nothing.png (10KB, 1156x170px) Image search: [Google]
i feel nothing.png
10KB, 1156x170px
>>165242385
:)
>>
File: 1481344104460.jpg (41KB, 404x611px) Image search: [Google]
1481344104460.jpg
41KB, 404x611px
>>165243375
>>
Is it possible to not have any caverns in your embark zone?
>>
>>165243809
If you have them disabled, yes. Otherwise you're probably just missing them. It's possible to hit semi-molten rock without finding any of the caverns or the magma sea. It happened to me the first time I decided to uncover the caverns actually.
>>
File: 1300422250593.jpg (190KB, 1010x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1300422250593.jpg
190KB, 1010x1036px
>01/10/2017
>Ha ha, this rabbit hole is pretty deep!
>mfw DF in ten years

>>165243809
each 4x4 (or was it 2x2?) section of the world has at least one cavern.
So unless your embark zone is smaller than that, it will always have a cavern.
>>
>>165243946
Everwhere has caverns. Not everywhere has adamantine spires, though, which I think you are getting confused with.
A 3x3 embark is guaranteed a spire, and I think a 2x2 can technically not have any, though it's unlikely.
>>
>>165244028
>[adamantine spires], which I think you are getting confused with.
Right, right, that was it. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
File: the wweasel.jpg (498KB, 2568x893px) Image search: [Google]
the wweasel.jpg
498KB, 2568x893px
>>165243120
You are welcome! Had fun with that one.
>>165243252
Yes, never had drawn them before.
Hope they live up to the standers of what it is to be a firesnake.

>>165238824
Here! Hope you like it.
Took a little bit of liberty with his condition before the drawbridge was dropped.

Hope you like it though.
>>
File: 1474117298946.png (2KB, 651x41px) Image search: [Google]
1474117298946.png
2KB, 651x41px
>>165243945
>>165243946
I must've have just been unlucky in mining then. I embarked on a volcano in a glacier so caverns would've been my only source of wood, food, and alcohol. All the human and elf civilizations were extinct too so I couldn't rely on caravans either. Didn't help that my miners ended up dying in a cave in and a lava flow.
>>
>>165242517

Now draw a blood stained hammer Jesus being released from the front gate of the fort at an unknowing force of evil
>>
>>165243809
You can make a custom world without caverns. You won't have underground crops though
>>
File: 2017_01_11_02_47_36.jpg (562KB, 1517x1342px) Image search: [Google]
2017_01_11_02_47_36.jpg
562KB, 1517x1342px
>>165244334
Will do it tomorrow.

till then, good night!
>>
>>165238161
dwarves fighting goblins on a draw bridge over a spiked pit

kobold in the background stealing something
>>
File: Scholarbars 3d.png (764KB, 1269x587px) Image search: [Google]
Scholarbars 3d.png
764KB, 1269x587px
>>165243946
>mfw DF in ten years
There were two incidents before the 0.40 release where the Toad himself became visibly confounded.

The first time was when he ended a dev log entry (where he had tested some new feature) with the following words:
>I wonder if the game has become odd.

The second time was when chaos broke out in a town and everyone started fighting. Toady commented that he just wanted to grab onto one of the NPCs and scream out asking them what in the world was going on.

When 0.40 finally came out, most players considered it a clusterfuck of broken features. Most of them were fixed in the 0.42 release, however. The current version is better than any older version.
>>
>>165246117
>The current version is better than any older version.
I'm certainly not doubting that. In fact I think that even the military revamp was a major improvement.
>>
>>165245031
sarranid scum
>>
So my cosy mountain tavern had just completed the guest house, when a wereraccoon shows up.
It mauls a visiting bard to death and is almost on top of my mason before I can assemble anyone.
My militia are only ten or so steps away but the raccoon is ripping and tearing every limb of this poor dwarf.
They rush it, bashing every limb into a broken mess. The mason is passed out on the floor.
There's no saving him, the curse has surely taken, so I designate a little hole in the wall as a hospital so he can be walled in down there.
He is picked up by my craftsdwarf and bleeds out on the way.
>craftsdwarf cancels bring wounded to hospital: grieving
Turns out she was his lover.
After a couple weeks she goes back to work, and she is the one to make his coffin.
Inter him underground, life goes back to normal.

Couple months later the human caravan comes around. Pick up a replacement tabby cat, a rabbit cos why not, some gems.

She immediately adopts the rabbit.
>she felt fondness after interacting with a pet

/dfg/, the game got me...
>>
>>165246845
Don't forget that DF characters only fall in love once during their lives.
>>
>>165246845
Sudden feels attack,jpg
>>
File: oops.png (23KB, 880x109px) Image search: [Google]
oops.png
23KB, 880x109px
>>165245031
Any chance you could do this?
>>
>>165247634
Lol, did the ram try to save his girl from the coyote, but charge her instead?

Had a nice kek.
>>
>>165229128
>Ha ha
>not he he
oh no, it's finally happened. toady died and someone has taken over development
>>
File: mate.png (4KB, 910x72px) Image search: [Google]
mate.png
4KB, 910x72px
bump
>>
File: SEND HELP.png (520B, 244x24px) Image search: [Google]
SEND HELP.png
520B, 244x24px
bemp
>>
File: pol'ed bay12.jpg (8KB, 294x42px) Image search: [Google]
pol'ed bay12.jpg
8KB, 294x42px
>>165253246
>>
>>165257140
>>165257825
That's cool
>>
>>165257825
>>165257140
Calm down boner .
>>
>>
File: the truth.png (297KB, 1160x822px) Image search: [Google]
the truth.png
297KB, 1160x822px
fresh OC coming through

(this doesn't legally count as slander, does it?)
>>
>>165259351
Im pretty sure that being seriously retarded is automatic get out of jail free card.
>>
>>165259351
that does, legally, count as slander
Should you post it publically as a reporter
>>
File: df-20170111-091857.png (23KB, 798x598px) Image search: [Google]
df-20170111-091857.png
23KB, 798x598px
It took a few tries, but I think I finally got this aquifer business figured out. I've punched a caravan-sized ramp (or space for one, at least) through four layers of aquifer and counting. I'm not totally sure yet how I'll drain the last layer, but so far everything looks good.
>>
>>165258814
Is this a self portrait mr doots?
>>
>>165261673
no
>>
File: 1484154444995.png (26KB, 378x442px) Image search: [Google]
1484154444995.png
26KB, 378x442px
>>165259351
>>
>>165262541
thanks
>>
File: autism fortress.jpg (1MB, 1908x1662px) Image search: [Google]
autism fortress.jpg
1MB, 1908x1662px
I call it "An autistic mess"
>>
>>165263279
disgusting

now you just need to call it hobbiton
>>
>>165263279
At least it's (mostly) set in stone.

Dx
>>
>>164976293
>be thinking about digging enemies and moving fortress parts
>think about what would happen if enemies tried to dig through an aquifer
>consider posting about it
>start scrolling down the page quickly
>decide to suddenly stop scrolling on impulse
>mouse was aligned with this post

Huh...
>>
>>165263710

:O
>>
>>165263279
That's not bad really, kinda cool in a way. Like seeing it irl would be cool.
>>
>>165263279
I sort of like fortresses like these. Just making the layout as messy and labyrinthine as possible
>>
>>165263865
you must love the worldgen forts
>>
File: autism fortress 2.jpg (363KB, 948x878px) Image search: [Google]
autism fortress 2.jpg
363KB, 948x878px
>>165263479
>>165263580
It gets worse
>>165263865
Kinda what i was going through. After spent 30 minutes stuck in my fort in adventure mode i got the idea
>>
>>165264318
Have you thought about running some skybridges to the other side of that canyon?
>>
File: whiteliont5.jpg (256KB, 518x786px) Image search: [Google]
whiteliont5.jpg
256KB, 518x786px
>Elves become more like Warhammer Fantasy High Elves
>Use metal build massive white towers, pride nobility, beauty, and lust, but are selfish, arrogant and racist
Would it make the game better or worse?
>>
File: 1471826681673.png (307KB, 447x437px) Image search: [Google]
1471826681673.png
307KB, 447x437px
>>165264318
>>
>>165264512
Oh hell yeah, make more bedrooms and the temple there, I want to make open bridges so when sieges come my guys can get shot.
>>
>>165229128
>Ha ha
Stopped reading there. This is not Toady.
>>
>>165264538
Aren't elves already arrogant and racist
>>
parachute goblins when
>>
File: 1464534196275.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464534196275.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
>>165264538
Better of course.

>tfw elven siege with Sworddancers, magical beasts and deadly archers vs steelclad legions of dorfs backed by gunpowder weapons

megaboner.
>>
>>165264538
I like the treehugging hippy elf better, it leaves them more likely to end up in wars with other civs. With ethics like you described, they would never end up in conflict with anything but goblins.
>>
>>165264261
I would love them if they weren't so lifeless and also laggy at the same time, somehow.
>>165264538
Eh, I sort of like the people-eating tree fanatics we currently have. They'd make a good modded race though.

Also, what's the possibility of modding new entity sites in? I know the "blueprints" for the sites are hardcoded and not accessible at the moment, but it would really open up a world of possibilities to be able to make your own.
>>
>>
>>165257825
>>165257140
she is ugly as fuck
>>
>>165265613
Pretty badass, Sir Dots.
>>
>>165266757
>delet filter
>remove wig
>remove make up
>remove weebshit
All that is left is a scrawny ugly girl
>>
>>165266897
I still want to facefuck her.
>>
>>165266991
You need to get out more
>>
>>165267046
Bet you get lots of pooss, brooooo. Ain't that right stud? That's why you're here.
>>
>>165266897
She looks good without the wig and makeup, just not by neckbeard-who-only-gets-off-on-anime-girls standards.
>>
>>165267231
2D and 3D just shouldn't be compared, they're too different most of the time.
>>
>>165267416
She has really puffy cheeks but she looks fine desu
>>
>>165267416
Does she play Dwarf Fortress?
>>
>>165266730
Let's be honest now

Who here actually finds women with beards attractive?
>>
>>165267475
>>165267416
Also I didnt look like that when i had cancer. You look like a literal corpse as a cancer patient. Pale Skin, skinny as fuck, dead looking eyes, etc
>>
File: 799.jpg (46KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
799.jpg
46KB, 640x960px
>>165267343
Anzu transcends the 2D/3D dichotomy.

>>165267416
>I don't know how girls look without makeup
>>
>>165267597
pls don't die anon ;_;
>>
>>165267597
She has all those. If you remove her contacts I bet the eyes are shitty too.
>>
>>165267597
>had
meh
>>
notice how the waifufags completely derailed the thread in less than 20 posts
>>
File: mystery in vidya.jpg (236KB, 1205x519px) Image search: [Google]
mystery in vidya.jpg
236KB, 1205x519px
>>165267709
>>165267416
She is gorgeous <3
>>
>>165267709
She is clearly 3D.
>>
File: 1411689632464.jpg (38KB, 447x686px) Image search: [Google]
1411689632464.jpg
38KB, 447x686px
Please stop this.
>>
>>165267929
Mystery is for fags
>>
File: roach of disapproval.jpg (793KB, 1500x1095px) Image search: [Google]
roach of disapproval.jpg
793KB, 1500x1095px
>>165268063
>Please stop this.
>>
Ok but what about pedophilia in dwarf fortress?
>>
>>165268246
Chapped ass lips. Bitch needs some blistex Don't off topic post.
>>
>tfw you can't report multiple posts anymore
>>
>>165268471
Fuck off
the thread is slow enough as it is, we don't need a fucking shitscord
>>
>>165268471
Yeah, making a discord is a great idea!
>>
>>165268471
the discord meme will never end
>>
File: 1403100026748.png (15KB, 387x192px) Image search: [Google]
1403100026748.png
15KB, 387x192px
>this bug will never ever be fixed
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9004
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7161
>climbing will never be fixed/removed
>the innumerable gamebreaking bugs jam-packed into every single possible feature relating to taverns, libraries and temples will never be fixed
>hospitals will never be fixed
>>
>>165269291
Working as intended
o
r
k
i
n
g

a
s

i
n
t
e
n
d
e
d
>>
>>165269291
it's a feature
>>
>>165269291
>climbing will never be fixed/removed
stop forcing this meme. you are literally the only one who hates climbing here.
>>
File: Bara dwarves.png (460KB, 724x666px) Image search: [Google]
Bara dwarves.png
460KB, 724x666px
>>165267590
I find men with beards attractive. Does that count?
>>
>>165269291
They will get fixed eventually
>>
>>165269463
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6586
Yes
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9252
I
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9061
am
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6625
clearly
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7055
the
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8191
only
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7209
one with any kind of issue with climbing. There's only one person who doesn't like climbing, that one specific anonymous poster!
>>
File: Working as intended.jpg (163KB, 727x863px) Image search: [Google]
Working as intended.jpg
163KB, 727x863px
>>165269291
>>
>>165269718
Clearly it's just you, you made all those reports with different accounts, don't hide it.
>>
>>165269718
>pointing our one minor bug means that you want a big feature to be removed from the game entirely
>>
>>165269942
>fixed/removed=removed
So I guess Toady sure made a big mistake when he removed economy until he could fix it in a later update, right?
>>
>>165269718
Climbing is literally perfect, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>165270167
I wish climbing had a better interface/auto select of the ideal terrain.
Going through goblin pits is a repetitive bore to constantly have to press "grab hold of silt loam (NE)" then "move up/north, releasing hold" every 5 seconds.

Not to mention the fact that goblins will do nothing but run away or stand there saying "Is that a weapon? That's alarming!" while you behead them one by one.
>>
>>165270153
Economy is put on ice indefinitely. I don't want the same to happen with climbing.

Seeing dorfs climb up trees to avoid fires, or seeing a werebeast scale my walls is enjoyable, and in adv mode, I rely a lot on climbing.

Stop trying to ruin the game for everybody else just because it doesn't fit your delicate tastes.
>>
>>165270372
LITERALLY

PERFECT

SHUT UP
>>
>>165270398
>dorf climbs up tree to avoid fire
>never goes down
berfect
>>
>>165270372
Oh god, I thought I was the only one. It sucks that you can't even quick travel through them.
>>
>>165270398
>>165270784
>tree then catches on fire and the dwarf dies anyway
>>
>>165270784
>build a stair
>dorf goes down
>cut the tree down
>dorf goes down

Also, like I said, it's one very marginal bug. It doesn't justify removing the feature entirely.
>>
>>165270929
That's part of the immersion.

Why do so many people here think that everything must have functional purposes? A lot of things are just there to create an atmosphere, an I kinda like it that way.
>>
>>165271004
I'm not that guy, I like climbing a lot in adventure mode, but in fort mode it has lots of bugs and they should be fixed, hopefully the will be in the next version.
>>
>>165271115
Bugs are part of the immersion?
>>
>>165271270
It's not even fun discussing this with you. i just like climbing as a feature. It adds a lot of functionality in adv mode, and it adds to the immersion in fort mode.

You are just being aggressive and trying to win points by arguing for arguing's sake. I was willing to make a compromise by admitting that climbing, while fun, had it's issues. You, on the other hand, are just aggressively shouting that Toady should remove climbing by any means.
>>
>werebull bites militia commander seconds become being put down
>shit
>sort of forget about it
>next full moon
>commander goes beast mode in the barracks and savages many dwarves, and bit like 6 or so of them of which like 4 survived
>4 werebulls

I'm wondering if I should try to deal with them by walling them off or something, or just let it play out/make werebull fortress. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Although they'll destroy the furniture won't they?
>>
>>165271561
Let's drop the argument then, since you aren't willing to listen.
>>
>>165271618
They also probably won't drink or eat so they'll be perpetually pissed off. I'd just seal them off and forget about them.
>>
>>165271618
>seconds become
seconds before*
>>
>>165271618
Infected militiadorfs are the absolutely worst thing that can happen, especially since they turn with weapon in hand.
>>
>>165271618
>>165271727
>Have not one, not two, not three, but four dwarves who turn into what are basically minotaurs on the full moon
Make a labyrinth and seal them in.
>>
>>165272774
Actually it turned out to be 3: a child and a married couple, lol. I guess I'll wall them into their bedrooms while I work something out. I'm also considering building a fortification in place of the door and having them shot.
>>
File: MightAlsoBeAFetish.jpg (55KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
MightAlsoBeAFetish.jpg
55KB, 620x413px
>>165244249
Awesome as always.

>>165267590
Well... I prefer dwarf women to have beards.

>>165269469
Eyyy, how you doin?

>>165270372
>not running and jumping across the gaps
>not having the wonderful experience of overshooting a jump and briefly plunging in terror down a mountainside before a handhold looms up and you grab for it
>not missing the first try in panic before bouncing off a wall and barely stopping yourself
>>
>>165273120
Now I just need to wait for the child to walk into his bedroom...
>>
File: CheeryLittlebottom.jpg (376KB, 544x1030px) Image search: [Google]
CheeryLittlebottom.jpg
376KB, 544x1030px
>>165263279
Nice, I always see those waterfalls and wish someone would make a fort in them, I like the layouts but it isn't my ideal fort spot.

>>165244249
Oh god, you got me giggling again dammit.

>Ow fuck, it's biting me, help!
>Well shit, he's done for.
>Wait, I'm not dead ye-
>*BLAT*

>>165246845
Gotta love it. I had a cute little gay couple where the mayor was also one of my hammer users and the militia captain was an axe user, and I loved watching them rush to help each other. Ended up setting a little nook aside so they could train and work on various jobs with their hubby in between boozing it up and arguing in the tavern, woulda been a bummer had one of them died in the arms of another.

>>165258814
>>165261673
Looks like a merchant to me.

While this one: >>165265613 looks like one of the guard captains with decorated high quality armor.
>>
>>165272001
thought steel webspitting was the worst thing that could happen, or elves
>>
>>165274043
>Now I just need to wait for the child to walk into his bedroom...
>>
>>165275498
Steel webspitting bird titan is the worst possible invader to encounter.
A forgotten beast is similar, but slightly less terrible since it's usually pretty easy to seal the cavern.
>>
>>165275949
Ah, but sometimes you can get fun stuff like a winged firebreathing spider fb who helpfully points out the one spot you didn't block off in your caverns by using it to pop up in your dining hall out of nowhere.
>>
>>165275949
>Steel webspitting bird titan
Why not steel webspitting spider with wings?
>>
>>165276514
the bird could be a kea
>>
>>165274043
The child is playing not entering his room but playing with a legendary toy boat soon before the end of the month (I guess that's not the full moon necessarily though right) I'm having my milita station near him. I take no joy in doing this...
>>
>>165276801
>>
File: BecauseFuckYouThatsWhy.jpg (65KB, 336x486px) Image search: [Google]
BecauseFuckYouThatsWhy.jpg
65KB, 336x486px
>>165276801
>>
>>165277045
>that verbal hostility
How? Just watch the free video.
>>
File: 1461120676416.png (10KB, 518x332px) Image search: [Google]
1461120676416.png
10KB, 518x332px
If I made this room a water source would dwarves drown when getting water from it? The water is 7/7.
>>
File: werebulls.png (43KB, 759x943px) Image search: [Google]
werebulls.png
43KB, 759x943px
>>165276957
The child never went into his room and I missed another millitadwarf who'd been bitten.
Anyway there was great carnage and many bitings. I may abandon this fort to ruin and maybe reclaim later.
>>
>>165277770
They won't path into it.
>>
>>165277956
If I abandon the fort the surrounding area will be filled with werebull dwarves who fled the fort right?
>>
>>165278409
In my experience, they'll be the first to immigrate to any new fort you start in the same world.

Abandoning a fort with a large werebeast population is a safe-way to break fort mode in that world. It's better to just wait until there's one fucker left, then give him a nickname you can recognise later on.
>>
>>165277770
They will never even go near it, even if you mod them to be [AQUATIC]
>>
>>165279034
I already abandoned it.
Hmm, tricky lol.
What if I play adventure mode for a while. Will they just become normal lair-dwelling werebull outcasts in the meantime?
>>
>>165279418
No idea, I haven't tried. I suspect that lairs can only be founded in worldgen, though. World activation site founding seems to be limited to sites founded by entities.
>>
>>165279597
Hm. I hope they can. I wish more stuff was actually in world activation.
Anyway, it seems like all my dwarves founded a new group (described only as a "dwarven group") in the site after I abandoned it. What does that mean? Are they refugees or still there or what?
>>
>>165279597
I've definitely seen campsites, hamlets, hillocks, forest retreats, dark pits, and I'm pretty sure I've seen several lairs founded because I've had older worlds where the end of the sites and pops list went from being my camp to a shit ton of sites of all sorts after my camp.
>>
>>165279945
>>165280053
When I check the individual dwarves it says they fled into the prairie. Cool. I like the idea of them like percolating out into the world and living their own lives.
And it's sorta interesting to imagine that my fort like incubated the werebull disease and then unleashed it multiplied unto the world.
>>
>>165246117
>>165246367
at least we are slowly and drunkenly actually advancing to a better game
its already most than most devs can say
>>
I'm gonna bump this thread until we reach 750 posts
>>
>>165281542
>>165281678
>>165281426
Eager to make the new thread, are you?
>>
Bumpppp
>>
File: 1457049347213.png (8KB, 72x112px) Image search: [Google]
1457049347213.png
8KB, 72x112px
>>165281426
Nice 750th post fagtron
>>
Bumppppp
>>
>>165282072
rekt
>>
>>165264538
I was gonna ask Timbuk to draw something 40k related when I read your post

>>165263710
>>164976293
It seems that the hivemind works in this general
>>
>>165282741
>40k
>Fantasy
>>
>>165282741
fuck off to /tg/
>>
What is the command to see what a machine is connected to?
>>
>>165283302
Machine empathy
>>
>>165168474
As a newcomer to fortress mode, how do you build vertical structures like that sign, or outdoor buildings, houses, etc.?
>>
>>165282845
>timbuk
>fantasy
ayyy
>>
File: autism fortress 3.jpg (89KB, 1252x338px) Image search: [Google]
autism fortress 3.jpg
89KB, 1252x338px
Well, it was a good run.
>>
>>165265613
Holy shit it is you.

Love your art.
>>
>>165285787
what happens if a kea and a macaque choose the same item to steal? do they fight?
>>
>>165286305
the game crashes because it cant process 2 extreme levels of bullshit
>>
>>165281426
>>165281542
>>165281678
>>165281820
>>165281965
>didn't even bother to make a new thread

>>165288618
>>
I'm scared of the "new" armor deterioration feature, and as such have yet to experience the joys of 64-bit DF.
Does sparring degrade armor? Should I have separate training and combat sets? If armor deteriorates while training, how long does it usually last?
>>
>>165288973
>sparring
No. It gets beaten up in combat. If you read sparring reports they are only light touches. Shields for me last 1 or two good battles. Armour last more
>>
>>165289729
Are artifact armor and shields immune to wear?
>>
>>165290226
I think yes. They are not immune to keas
Thread posts: 759
Thread images: 188

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.