/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 774
Thread images: 125

File: 1462017928245.jpg (3MB, 1500x2018px) Image search: [Google]
1462017928245.jpg
3MB, 1500x2018px
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old Thread >>148407675
>>
>>148652447
It means only use one smelter for melt orders.

>>148659282
A stack of 5 (bone), an unforbidden stack of 1, or 25 per crossbow iirc. If you're making dense traps, give a bunch more people the mechanic labor. Once you finish arming set skill brackets on a couple mechanic workshops and leave make mechanisms on repeat to train them up.

>>148665043
When you code it and not a day before fampai.

Use custom professions to assign what you have them do and use nicknames to note special things like prefers steel, prefers x piece of armor, has high siege engineering or a really high agility/str/willpower/recuperation/etc. You can also use profession for general assignment and add mods to the nickname list. Use hauler for your noncombat dumpster bin and recruit for your combat dumpster bin. Reassign and rename anyone you need from that labor pool. You can train pretty much everything from scratch so it's not so much that you need to assign a skilled dorf to fill a hole from a death but that you just need to assign anyone.
>>
>>148668323
Drop some craft shops and make a bunch of shit as fast as you can and you should be able to get enough dosh together. You can also mass produce your mechanisms and masonry furniture and sell the useless crap. It's not as lucrative though.

Always look on your neighbor screen on the embark planner and plan accordingly. Taking a proficient stone bone and/or wood crafter(s) paired with a gem cutter and a gem setter will provide you with a shit ton of 50 buck crafts and totems to trade if you can keep them supplied. You can also take platinum on embark with a metal crafter to make 40k out of crafts with charcoal and if you rush magma or take a lot of coal you can make a lot on maps with fire clay/kaolinite and sand+good tree density with clear glass. You can then decorate with bone, cut cheap gems, cut stone, and cut green glass to up value.

Or just take a bunch of sand, coal, sweet pod seeds, milk, and rpck nuts on embark. Make green glass corkscrews to sell, gather plants in the caverns, disable brewing sweet pods, use the bags to process bushes to leaves, make the milk into cheese and process pods to syrup. Skill up making biscuits then cheese caravans with roasts.

What you're aiming for is able to put out about 40-70k in trade goods in time for the second dwarven caravan. You can buy about that much in ores, bars, wood, gems, kaolinite, meltables then turn around and make about 50% more value with a good gem cutter, gem setter, bone carver, and metal crafter.
>>
File: 1451757104999.png (232KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
1451757104999.png
232KB, 439x290px
>Fire blob forgotten beast shows up
>Don't have constructed floor firebreaks up yet
>Have to burrow everyone inside and station my guards praying that my bait Giant Olm and 15 marksdwarves can handle it
>Swamp titan shows up, Whole surface guard is out of place cause they're inactive for post-caravan hauling
>They get there in time and kill it
>Come back to the cavern
>FB's missing
>So are my entrance cage traps???
>There's a patch of fire clay where the FB dies
YEEEEEEEEEEEES!
>>
File: 2016-07-16_18-44-05.png (57KB, 526x854px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-16_18-44-05.png
57KB, 526x854px
progress
>>
When their training is active the damn dorf spend too much of their time socializing, dancing, praying etc. How do I make them stay in the barracks during the active months?
>>
File: LavaFlowRooms.png (158KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LavaFlowRooms.png
158KB, 1920x1080px
>>148662014
Yeah, they can turn their back, as an adventurer you can't, so for us if you have your shield out it is 100% block rate, for others they have to be at least pointing at the dragon (you can check by grabbing control of them and pulling up stealth view) before it will work.

>>148674772
>habbening.gif
>>
>>148675798
Make sure they're set to train in the barracks? Are you sure they aren't just finishing their socializing
>>
File: 1368050731654.gif (483KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1368050731654.gif
483KB, 500x375px
>>148674772
>all that work before he releases magic and mythos
>>
>>148674772
hyped as fuck. but this is going to take a fucking age to come together, isn't it? a year or more I have to think, to my untrained eye this looks way bigger than the tavern update
>>
File: rapuzelwut.jpg (47KB, 755x729px) Image search: [Google]
rapuzelwut.jpg
47KB, 755x729px
>DF ripoff about to make millions
>Tarn still relies on donations
>>
>>148661894
Did you read the combat reports to see if they were blocking it? It could be that the dragonfire rework is causing it to heat up the ground a lot more now. It almost certainly is, since it's heating up everything else.
>>
>>148673997
Put a grate down before something grows over it.
>>
>>148676861
already dropped a paved road that's magma proof. I'm determined to save my child.
>>
>>148677361
You can gather clay through a grate, but not through a road. Assuming that's what you're excited about.
>>
>>148676553
It's pretty clear that he's happy simply making a living off of it. He's stated that it's his life's work, and I know from personal experience that financial success has nothing to do with "life's work".
>>
>>148676139
Its gonna be hard to give the fan base a magic system that can live up to the hype, Im ok with Toady having time to investigate, read suggestions and go 3 months to live with an african shaman to know how magic and the divine works if he needs to to make a great system

>>148670659
lel true, Seems kinda of if you could pop up on your god's house while he's sleeping and stab him to death
>>
File: Untitled.png (119KB, 1600x838px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
119KB, 1600x838px
>>148677878
Nerd fite
>>
>>148676553
Really though, how fucking sour would you be if you paid 10+ bucks for this shit?
>>
>>148678284
I'd be angry if I paid for one of the df-alikes and then found df afterwards.
>>
>>148678284
I was tempted to buy it for awhile, but I've gotten good enough at DF that I just don't see the point. Maybe if I had money to blow I'd do it just to play sci-fi DF-lite
>>
>>148678117
>The next released version will actually be magic
>Playing the game in the new "Reality" gamemode causes things to happen in the real world
>Toady disables the mode again after some chucklefuck tunnels down into Hell, causing the world to end
>>
How can I decide my site's size in adventure mode?
I literally have no idea, wiki doesn't help
>>
>>148680176
Can't.
>>
>>148676553
What game are you talking about?
>>
File: jesus.png (420KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.png
420KB, 600x600px
>>148681219
well, there's gotta be a way
At least do we know why a site appears with a certain size when it is formed?
>>148680139
>Toady visits /x/
>gets fascinated by rune and written magic in general
>The new code for the magic release has a spell that makes the player's dwarves able to pray for his god to make bad things happen to the player if he has treated them badly
>mfw all those mass killing children summer holydays in front of their mothers
>>
>be noob me
>decide to make walls and floors around the entry stairs to make it stand out more
>have a bad feeling about floors covering the stairs
>yep, the dwarves who are outside can't get in
>migrants approach
>the dwarves outside can't mine because no picks
>can't make up stairs
>destroying the floor doesn't help
>migrants start retreating from society
>abandon fortress to ruin
>>
>>148681427
rimworld, presumably
>>
>Gather plants
>Brew them
>Cook the seeds
>Occasionally get some animal action.
>Have 0 farmers still like 8 years later
Feels gud
>>
>Have 7 blind cave ogres I can't do anything about
>2 tamed voracious cave crawlers
>2 I needed for a breeding pair get punched out by ex-soldier haulers mucking about the cavern
>Out of the 10-20 best case if aren't already dead, 4 are gone from the regional population
Fffffffuuuuuck.
>>
>>148682554
>have a bad feeling about floors covering the stairs
Really.
>the dwarves outside can't mine because no picks
Your dwarves inside had picks though, right?
>can't make up stairs
Why not?
>destroying the floor doesn't help
Then you did it wrong.
>migrants start retreating from society
That's a strange mood. He wanted to make an artifact.
>abandon fortress to ruin
That's how you stay bad.

I know you said you're new, but that is a truly impressive constellation of fail nonetheless.
>>
>>148682554
>>148684362
pretty savage desu, not even him
Even if he showed a cringy and anxious behaviour when confronted with a easy as fuck problem you dont need to be rude
>>
>>148680176
3x3 default, smaller if butted up against another site, no control yet.
>>
>>148684341
on the bright side, 7 ogres is good motivation to set up an auto-butchery machine so that some brave soul can make bolts or crafts out of the bones of sentients
>>
>>148686316
i'm out of the dangerous bit of the game. I need quality over quantity. Really sour Toady never fixed shit so you can trade untamed creatures. Last week I was thinking of doing an animal trade fort next but there's so much evil shit I can't do dick with other than kill and eat.
>>
Ugh. I can't do it. I can't build temporary lodgings at the start because I hate seeing those empty fucking holes later on.
>>
I see reports about civilians being hit by members of the military, and I never see reports about members of military fighting anyone. Does anyone have an idea of what's happening.
>>
>>148684017
how viable is plant gathering
>>
>>148686715
Well, since you already channel out the soil layers for a tree farm, you can just put them in there. Or just take more miners and make them proficient and suck it up until you've dug down to the magma sea or picked out where you'll fort and pump, minecart, or piston it up to.

>>148686731
Probably getting bumped into during spars. They can also start fights if they're onery little shits.
>>
>>148686853
Depends on where you embark. If you're on a desert or a glacier or something, you can supplement your food with cavern gathering if you're so inclined, but it won't be a significant source of food and drink for a mature fort. If you settle in a tropical jungle you can subsist entirely off gathering as long you put enough dwarves on it each summer. There are of course embarks that fall everywhere between those extremes.
>>
>>148686914
>since you already channel out the soil layers for a tree farm
Why would anyone do that so early in their fort that they're talking about temporary lodgings?
>>
>>148686853
100% depends on your biome. If you have a decent level of shrubbery you're good to do. If you trim your useless surface trees in biomes with a decent amount and harvest fruits and nuts you're gravy. I had like 2000 acorns at some point before I started cooking all my shit.
>>
>>148687541
What, dig your exploratory shaft to know where the soil ends and hit the caverns. Once you know where the floor is to your soil you just channel out a little soil fort for your temp shops. Once you settle in you clear up the rest for faster rock mining and getting your plants and saplings going. It takes a good 4,5 years to really take off. Sooner begun sooner done and all that.
>>
>>148686715
>hate seeing those empty fucking holes
>doesn't want his fortress to have abandoned rooms
>doesn't want his fortress to have entire condemned sections
>>
>>148688159
>tfw all that retarded burrow job cancel spam so you can't make ghettos without full retard specialization.
>>
File: :mu:.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
:mu:.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
>toady will probably die within your lifetime
>>
>>148687779
Tree farming is a vanity project that is almost never needed for a fort and has a devastating fps cost if you do it on a large enough scale to be useful.
You talk about it like it's something that every player does or ought to do, but it really isn't either of those things. It has limited utility, partially because by the time that it takes to get going you're not likely to have any great need for wood, but also because wood is so abundant and can be traded for cheaply in large quantities from any not-yet-dead civ. Plus, each cavern layer is already an embark sized tree farm. Last time I dug out a tree farm I ended up walling it off and flooding it with magma because I couldn't use the thousands of logs I already had fast enough, without ever having chopped a single tree in my farm.
>>
>>148688537
>DF will probably be finished in your lifetime
>>
Able to import raw gems fucking WHEN toady.

>>148688737
Muh trainin' bolts
Muh civilian crossbows
Muh charcoal, ash, and pearlash
>>
File: fuck.jpg (60KB, 680x818px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
60KB, 680x818px
>>148688537
>scamps WILL die in your lifetime
why live
>>
>>148688737
>>148689110
Muh light barrels
Muh light large wooden pots
Muh light wheelbarrows
Muh nine gorillion light bins
>>
File: Maru.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Maru.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>148689129
>>
>>148689110
Consider the time it takes a treefarm to be productive and the low yields of mushroom trees. By the time you're 5 years into your fort you will have been able to acquire plenty of wood or bones for every civilian to have a crossbow many times over and most players will be drowning in copper for cheap bolts. You'll probably have magma or be in spitting distance of having it, greatly reducing the need for charcoal (if you need it all; it's a slow player who hasn't outfitted their military in steel or adamantine already at that point). If you don't have surface wood to feed what need you have for ash and pearlash, you can trade for more wood each year than most tree farms will ever produce. If you can't trade for some reason, you can wall off an enormous section of the caverns in the 3 years you're waiting for that very first sapling to come up. Caverns which will already be full of trees already and have saplings closer to sprouting than the saplings in your own farm.
I'm not saying players shouldn't tree farm anymore than I'm saying they shouldn't beekeep. But it's about as valuable an endeavor as beekeeping, and certainly shouldn't be a priority in a young fort. It's something to do after you're established and have labor (and fps) to spare on things that aren't going to have much payoff beyond the fun of doing it.
>>
>>148669496
>that map
When is Toady going to properly emulate plate tectonics?
>>
>>148692551
after bumblebee beekeeping
>>
>>148692763
Life goals. Bumblebee man army.
>>
>>148690667
Ever since the new tree rules I've had a ridiculous surplus of wood.
>>
>>148676553
Tarn is an artist who doesn't seek wealth.

That said the government should send him a grant regardless.
>>
>locate the third cavern layer
>everything is dead
>crundle corpses littered everywhere, with a larger cave monster here and there
>very carefully carve fortifications around the place
>finally find two blinking, named corpses, a 'W' and an 'F', lying side by side
>forgotten beasts
I guess they killed everything in the cavern, and finally each other.
>>
>>148695020
Yeah, last heavily forested embark I did I had 3 legendary wood burners making ash on repeat. They still couldn't keep up with the wood just from the maintenance chopping to keep trees off my walls.
>>
How the fuck do waterwheels work? I can place it on a brook wherever, but it doesn't turn. It's taking water from the correct direction
>>
>>148698337
Doesn't work on a brook. Needs to be over actual water tiles.
You can channel out a brook and the wheel should work after that.
It's built on empty space, so it needs to be supported from the side by an axle or a mechanism.
>>
>>148690667
Soil is ezpz free mining skill and not that 130 imported wood a year isn't significant but you'll use a good 7-15 logs of bolts per squad per fight and more on sieges or arena clears. and archery targets chew through them as anyone who mains bone bolts can attest. That's on top of your 300 or so bins and 200 or so mix of barrels and large wood pots. Maybe it's a 43.04 bug but log harvests while larger than they used to be are never as big as that initial clearcut.
>>
>>148697491
How romantic.

>>148698550
I can confirm from my campstruction experience that the regrowth is always thinner than the initial trees, even when they look the same size.
>>
>>148698550
>200 or so mix of barrels and large wood pots
Is there a good reason not to just use stone pots?
>>
>>148699038
because large green glass pots are way sexier
>>
>>148699038
Muh weight
Muh syrup
Muh Platinum and aluminum everything
>>
>>148699038
They're a little heavier. Not by a significant enough amount that you should resort to tree farming if you're short of wood for some reason.

>>148698550
Wood bolts are useless in fights, and as I noted above, most players will have copper or silver in abundance by the time a tree farm has started to produce what meager production you'll get from it. As for bins, there's no reason to use that many. Bin bugs are a fucking plague on this game, and they should only be used for things that you'll never ever need for anything but trade if you want to avoid them. Pots can be made from other materials if you don't have enough wood (somehow), and syrup going into meals will turn those barrels over quickly unless you want to stockpile it en masse for some reason. And I'll reiterate, if you must have wood for any of those purposes, tree farming is the least effective way to supply that wood. I can hypothesize a perfect storm of bad conditions that will make tree farming the only option for wood, but I've never encountered those conditions in dozens (hundreds?) of forts in the 8 years I've played DF.
Again, I'm not saying players shouldn't tree farm. I'm saying it's not a useful thing to apply your labor to in an early fort.
>>
>>148700975
They add up but their main benefit is letting you train them to legendary then reassign them metal bolts. There's no need to piss all that metal away even if after you finish armoring up your army, militia, and haulers you get ~100 weapons grade bars to work with.
>>
I need fucking caravans and stuff in adventure mode pls
>>
>>148701503
>tfw can't form a band of gypsies stealing everything then packing it your caravan to go elsewhere to peddle and steal more shit
>tfw no qt3.14 and a goat farm in the hills
>>
How do I have the best fish fort experience /dfg/?

What are some cool things to help make df fun again?
>>
>>148695389
Do you ever think he'll make chests hold powders?
>>
>werethings
how do you get rid of those fuckers without traps? I've been getting caught in the beginning of my forts with maybe 10 dwarves when werestuff shows up
>>
>>148701503
>sign on as a caravan guard
>skirmish with bandits that try to ambush the caravan between towns
>have ongoing philosophical debates with the other caravan members
>pass the time in towns playing music and drinking with the locals and other guards
>help the caravan hire new guards and mourn the ones that died during the trip
>head out again into an entirely new environment

>>148701937
I don't know man. every ocean embark I've ever tried ended in boredom. it seems that 99% of the animals that spawn are seabirds rather than whales or anything interesting
>>
>>148701209
I get what you're saying, and I usually don't use my silver for that. But copper? I'm sure as hell not using it for furniture. I mean, if you can turn every bit of your copper into bronze you should, but that's usually not the case. Sometimes I'll turn it into rose gold just for the color, but regular gold is both plentiful and more valuable. By year 5 or 6 I'm almost always training with copper bolts and fighting with bronze or iron bolts. Sometimes even steel, if I've got the resources for it. If I have any wood bolts at that point I dump and destroy them, masterworks be damned, because it's bad for them to end up in a marksdwarf's quiver. It's a guarantee that they'll be ineffective when I want them killing. And prior to then I usually have so many bone bolts that I can't use them all anyway, so wood bolts are optional even before I'm rolling in sharp shiny stuff.
>>
>>148701779
>>148702287
This is exactly why I want caravans.
>>
>>148702713
I agree with this, but in recent forts I haven't even gone to the copper bolts for training stage, I've had so much bone lying around (especially since beak dog mounts were re-introduced) that even with the pathetically small stacks the workshop job produces AND having a hunter constantly using bone bolts, I've never come close to running out
>>
>>148698476
so it's supposed to be hanging and won't work until 4/7 water is flowing through the zlevel below it?
>>
>>148702192
You should be embarking with bronze ores for armor, some steel ores for weapons, once you're hitting around 40 dorfs you should be setting most migrants to train with melee or wrestling with 2 of your skilled soldiers to bootstrap sparring or give them crossbows with 2 hammer recruits, ample bolts and shoot shit up.

Alternatively, a long 2-z high (Use dig upward ramp) hall of raising spear traps with restrained animals and wood doors in the side walls. A battery of ballistas, catapults helps somewhat as does making a supported plug for cave-in's on demand, channel the sides with lead block floors and upright spears, winding dodge traps with a fuckload of crossbow users.

Generally with your fortress design try to have it so that nobody has to go near or outside your outermost perimeter and at that point you want to restrain some animals, build a lot of wood doors, and have squads training in a barracks that anything coming by has to pass through.

So I guess to answer your question uh, use raising spear traps. Use them as part of a dodge trap for additional effectiveness from multiple trips if it's not a flier.

>>148702713
Eh, if my site has copper I like to put every non-critical dorf in civilian squads without a barracks wearing a copper helm, mail shit, leather armor, gauntlets, bone greaves, high boots, the usual additional leather cover, wood shield and a copper crossbow with 500 wood bolts or a pick if they're a miner. Building a good hoard of 75x[marksdorf] metal bolts per enemy entity in range. I like to double up jobs and offset active by 3 months so they get a little training in. Then I'll start moving trained soldiers into them a couple years down the road as my military matures. I burn through a good 1200 copper like nobodies business.

I dunno, maybe cause I usually only do 1x1 embarks? I'm just itchy about shit.
>>
>DF2020
"Why the fuck is this merchant ship from the human civ across the haunted sea taking so long?"
>A vile force of darkness has arrived!
>Undead/mutant sailors spill out onto your docks, slaughtering haulers at the trade depot and sending your broker into the waves where the named giant kraken lives
>>
>>148702287
It'd be kind of cool to be able to form a band of mercenaries and eventually be able to hire people to follow simple shit like tend to my farm and maintain these item quotas back at the camp.
>>
>>148703654
>Not having airlocked depots
>Not having a high percentage of haulers so you can rapidly haul and dump shit out
>>
>>148703137
Caravans will probably come in as a way of getting money and travelling around for adventurers.
Or robbing.
>>
>>148702192
Traps won't help with werebeasts. They're trap avoid. Bring a military dwarf or two with you at embark, get them training around when the first migrant wave arrives, set watch animals. When a werebeast shows, just send the nearest military dwarf after it. Fully armored dwarves with a little training under their belt can typically 1v1 a werebeast pretty easily. Metal armor is, at the very least, almost a guarantee that your dwsrf won't get infected, and makes them deathproof against most things that aren't armed. Only the biggest werebeasts are a threat if you put in a small amount of preparation. The biggest danger comes from unarmored civvies jumping into the fight. A civilian alert burrow will take care of that.
>>
>>148702192
>>148705475
>set watch animals
this is the biggest thing, in my experience
keep a group of dogs, wagon animals, and whatever pets your first immigrant wave brings some ways outside your fort's entrance.
it's entirely likely that in the time it takes the werebeast to kill them all, it'll revert back to human/elf/whatever form, but even if it doesn't, it should give you enough time to wall off temporarily from inside
and like anon says a civilian alert is a must
>>
Can I play as a snakeman priest with an axe now?
>>
>>148706425
There's no way to join the clergy yet.
>>
How do I join a bandit camp and what sort of stuff will I be tasked to do if I can?
>>
>>148707273
I've never done it before, but my understanding is that you need to talk to the ringleader and ask to be their hearthsperson, similar to serving a lord. Not sure what they ask you to do, but it's safe to assume it will be some manner of violent dickery.
>>
>>148707119
Damn.
I'm gonna start playing Dwarf Fortress again when the game lets me create my own cult of axe-wielding snakemen.
>>
>>148707552
Ah I see, good to know. I've been interested in banditry and was wondering if there were brigand-specific quests available.
>>
If I have my Archers 1 Z level higher than the enemy, How does that affect my Archers accuracy and vision? Is it better or objectively worse and not worth it?
>>
>>148707624
Check back you when the myth update hits, maybe?
If it doesn't happen then it will probably be years.
>>
>>148708295
it will probably be years before the myth update hits anyway
>>
>>148708153
They won't be able to fire on targets directly in front of them 1z down, but they'll otherwise have the same (or close to the same) range. And you'll get the benefit that melee troops won't be able to reach them. Until they run out of bolts and climb down to bludgeon them with their crossbows, but that's another issue entirely.
>>
>>148708515
Unfortunate that bug still exists, Thanks though senpai.
>>
what attributes affect poetry? The wiki isn't saying. Does Musicality?
>>
>>148707701
There should be but they behave weirdly at best, I haven't gotten them to work at all, though I recall someone saying they had.
>>
How do you sort items in the haul to trade depot menu by value as opposed to distance? I'm pretty sure I had a noble for it earlier (and everything else) but he went berserk so I had to make changes.
>>
>>148708873
Speaking for reciting, linguistics (I assume) for writing it.
>>
>>148709008
Never mind, it was my appraiser.
>>
>>148708906
Did he say what kind of quests there were?
>>
>>148708873
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Attribute#Attributes_trained_by_skills
Search on poet
>>
>>148710292
Start trouble/harass people, the usual kill quests for stuff bandits care about (things you get called a hunter for, usually), I think Toady said there is supposed to be a "rob/mug people" quest but he doesn't think it is given out to players currently.
>>
What's some fun or exotic shit to do /dfg/? What helps you stand at full mast night after night?
>>
I see DFhack is out of date, how nasty are current and old fortress mode bugs?
>>
With vert axles, do they travel 1 zlevel down as well as up? do you place them on an open space next to your gears and then build a gear on top of that to move power up a z level?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1KB, 773x16px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1KB, 773x16px
Armok preserve me.
>>
File: collapsalipse now.png (475KB, 1920x1018px) Image search: [Google]
collapsalipse now.png
475KB, 1920x1018px
Alright, so apparently what caused my dorf to die yesterday was him taking down a wall that had nothing on it and that had soil underneath.
I don't get it.
>>
File: 1327234310707.jpg (21KB, 384x256px) Image search: [Google]
1327234310707.jpg
21KB, 384x256px
>I know! I'll embark to the deserts. Make a fort that raises giant jaguars and giant desert scorpions!
>As of 42.04, giant desert scorpions have been removed, with plans to bring them back in a future update.
>>
File: Untitled.png (4KB, 138x187px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4KB, 138x187px
Is there a better feeling than a stockpile of metal ores?
>>
>>148716028
1 tile dump of metal ores?
>>
>>148716229
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>148716229
But muh fps. Shit wigs out when I start getting a big pile of shit in one tile.
>>
>>148676065 >>148676714
They were blocking it up to five times in a row. Actually, after some extra testing I found out they it was not dragonfire what got them, but blood coating which started boiling. Fucking brutal.
>>
Here goes another attempt to get into this game, /dfg/, wish me luck.
>>
>>148716886
Metal as fuck.
>>
>>148718313
May you and your Elk herd face pleasant seasons
>>
>>148718746
Thank you, dorf. LNP or Vanilla for starting out?
>>
>>148719102
Just go LNP because it has DFHack already in + you can choose from several tilesets
>>
>>148719102
Vanilla. The LNP is nothing you can't do yourself and using the LNP as a crutch makes you reliant on people when you don't need to be.
>>
File: 1372558138698.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1372558138698.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>148719102
If you start with LNP you won't be able to play without LNP.
If you start with vanilla you can always play the latest version of the game, and can add stuff from LNP later if you like.
>>
>Kaolinite is 3 points a piece or 12 for 4 pieces
>Silver nuggets are 40
>Both are mat value 10
Nice, though you can't make porcelain battleaxes to sell.
>>
>>148719313
>>148719342
>>148720492
Thanks, /dfg/
I think I will do my best to start out full on vanilla.
>>
>>148720758
No dude, we just want you to read the shit so you know how to get your aquare tileset/graphics pack, dwarf therapist, dfhack and shit. Waiting for some fat cheeto dust caked fuck to follow the same step by step how to install instructions that are on the wiki/forum page is stupid.
>>
>>148721112
I already decided to do all that without waiting for a pack, but after I familiarize myself with Vanilla.
>>
hooray
>>
>larger embarks are possible now without dipping down to 3fps
>>
Is it possible to check if evil biome is reanimating without embarking?
>>
>>148724752
Adventure mode, I guess? Pretty sure DFhack can
>>
How does my adventurer learn new poemz? Can an elf learn doerf poems? I noticed they had zero reaction whatsoever to hearing my elvish poetry.
>>
File: creepy.png (18KB, 723x323px) Image search: [Google]
creepy.png
18KB, 723x323px
>>
File: 1459042408945.jpg (38KB, 308x446px) Image search: [Google]
1459042408945.jpg
38KB, 308x446px
>reanimating savanna embark
It's time
>>
>>148712958
Axels are basically pillars

Figure out the rest from there
>>
I miss my old laptop with i5 on it
Now I'm stuck with a cheap laptop with a fucking A4 in it and I can't fucking play df
>>
>>148676553
>20k sales on steam
Obviously a lot of people purchase off his website, but he hasnt made millions.

Even Factorio did better than that.
>>
>>148712958
To move power up one level, you build a gear, and then build a second gear on top of it in open space. Gears transfer power in all six orthogonal directions.
They have a higher power loss than axles, though, so if you are moving power more than one level, you should place vertical axles between the gears. Vertical axles transfer power only up and down.
>>
>Build mega fortress
>visit in adventure mode
>this is going to be great
>
>no one is at there posts
>military not following schedule at all
>everyone stand around randomly on the surface, throwing up from cave adaptation
Why?
>>
File: 1246110095682.jpg (52KB, 614x612px) Image search: [Google]
1246110095682.jpg
52KB, 614x612px
>>148724371
>It will still end up at 3 FPS after a while
>>
>>148734321
such is DF
if you had any animals (or dangerous things - FBs?) kept in pens, you can expect them to be wandering around randomly too

if you retire your adventurer and reclaim the fortress, expect chaos
>>
How much does proper burrowing improve FPS? If I were to make parts of the fortress dedicated to metalsmithing, to farming, wood working etc... and constrict dwarves to only live there would that cut down on all the pathfinding?

How do burrows even affect pathfinding? Does the algorithm stop upon reaching the edge of a burrow?
>>
>>148734818
You can gain 3-4 fps from my experience. Read the wiki, then read the wiki again.
>>
File: 1365585531347.gif (873KB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
1365585531347.gif
873KB, 346x360px
>>148734818
What is proper burrowing?
Iv only ever used burrows to get everyone inside when the invaders come. Won't they starve if left in a burrow to long?
>>
>>148734460
>>148734321
I ran into my previous fort, and there were cats all over the refuse stockpile outside, just playing with the dead guys I guess. I actually ran into it by accident, I thought I'd swim into the fort through the river then saw grates blocking the water, I thought 'Wow, these generated forts are pretty smart' then realized a couple seconds later it was mine and the magic died, but it was still pretty fun to not intentionally find my fort. I usually end up making new worlds all the time, does anyone stick with a single world for years? Gotta imagine there's alot of history to those.
>>
>>148735165
every burrow would have it's own food. That's what I did already with the metal industry. I built sleeping rooms, made a food stockpile, made a meeting room, smoothed out the stone and stuck three or four dwarves down there to extract strands, smelt stuff, smith and so on.
>>
>>148735165
imagine a caste system in your fortress that is implemented geographically as well as activity-wise.

So for example this is the stone part of the fort, where all the stone workers live, work, eat/drink and sleep. They don't leave this area, because they're contained in it with a burrow, but all their needs are met by rooms and locations within this burrow.

So rather than a single massive tavern/bedroom layout etc that require dwarves to run through half to fort to get to it they live in a self-contained bubble of industrial efficiency.
>>
>>148735580
Do soldiers on active duty have to respect civilian burrows? I mean, if I put someone in a burrow, than some time later recruit him, and he goes into active training, will he still be bound to his burrow or free to go to the barracks?
>>
>>148735412
the longest I've stayed in a single world was ~25 years (3 forts, 1 adventurer)
I really liked that world because despite not being huge ("small," I think), it generated a huge expanse of evil but not reanimating plains which goblins had settled, meaning their civ had tens of thousands of ogres

nevertheless it got kind of dull since all the human civs were dead, the elves were locked away doing god knows what on the other side of the map, and the interesting megabeasts had all been killed by my adventurer. plus, having cave-adapted shitters migrating from your previous fort to new and complaining about whatever drove them out there (and the sun) gets old fast
>>
File: 1380663231969.gif (345KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1380663231969.gif
345KB, 500x375px
Not sure if the science is in on this but,
What weapon requires the lest physical ability to use?

Like how maces do more damage then warhammers in the hands of a very strong dwarf, but less damage then warhammers when used by weak dwarves.

What weapon does the most damage wielded by the weakest?
>>
>>148737884
Battle axes are the best cutting weapon, which doesn't change much whether user is strong or weak, picks are similar but a bit more prone to get stuck in targets with weaker users.
>>
>>148738086
Cripple squads getting a fresh shipment of axes then. Thanks anon.
>>
>>148735580
>They don't leave this area, because they're contained in it with a burrow
That's not strictly true. Burrows only restrict where a dwarf is allowed to take jobs, it doesn't stop them from going anywhere. Additionally, they're broken with respect to the new locations based jobs. They'll sometimes go hang out in taverns, temples and libraries that are outside their burrow when they're idle for both green and purple "jobs".

>>148735779
On duty soldiers ignore burrows except when they have a "defend burrow" order.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Burrow
>>
>>148737884
Whips, scourges and daggers all have small material size, which makes them lighter. The former two also additionally have a good velocity modifier which makes up some for the loss of momentum from a weak or small dwarf using it.
The other guy is wrong, a battle axe's efficacy scales enormously with stronger users. The attack's momentum will largely determine how effective it is, and it scales linearly with the wielder's strength.
>>
>>148738672
Except for military alert burrows which actually force dwarves to remain within them. I know because I left the surface of Cathelms open except for cage traps off and on for years, never lost a dwarf to them venturing up top and getting brained by a falling eagle to lay there vomiting in the blue roophie juice.
>>
My niggaz have no water because it's winter and all sources are frozen. Is the only way to keep them alive brewing ale from plants and fruit?
>>
>>148739150
dig to caves
>>
>>148739040
A battle axe has sufficient edge properties and is far enough ahead of other slashing weapons (besides picks) that even with a weak user you need to get into superdwarvenly tough swordmaster territory for them to win out.

Yes, an axe lord will cleave a dragon in half flat out, but even a weaker user can lop heads off with one easier than a sword.

Axe: [ATTACK:EDGE:40000:6000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250]

Sword: [ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]

Pick: [ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]
>>
>late autumn
>ALMOST done cleaning up from last winter's goblin siege
>>
>>148739514
The contact area and penetration value along with the size of the weapon set the minimum performance in most contests.

Axe: 800
Sword: 300
Pick: 500

So axes have more momentum and a larger area with greater penetration than a short sword slash, while a pick SLASH is twice the contact area/penetration/velocity of a short sword STAB before factoring in the extra 200 size.
>>
File: white_knight-09162024[1].png (81KB, 172x611px) Image search: [Google]
white_knight-09162024[1].png
81KB, 172x611px
>>148739845
>So axes have more momentum and a larger area with greater penetration than a short sword slash
So are swords good for anything?
>>
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_EDGE]
[NAME:edge:edges]
[SIZE:800]
[SKILL:EDGINESS]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:slice:slices:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]

[PROFESSION_NAME:BROODING_LONGER:kid:kids] [PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_BROODING_LONER:edge lord:edge lords]

>nuffin personal
>>
>>148740138
Yes, for fucking me up because I was reading the raw for long sword while typing this: >>148740241 and didn't notice "brooding_longer" on that one instead of "brooding_loner" dammit.

They're only useful as a more versatile but less effective mix of axes and spears.
>>
>>148740241
We can't set these yet sadly, but:
[PROFESSION_COLOR:BROODING_LONER:DARK_GRAY]
[PROFESSION_COLOR:MASTER_BROODING_LONER:BLACK]
>>
>The edge lord slices the thread with his steel edge and the severed part sails off in an arc!
>Psh, nuffin personal kid.
>>
>>148739150
>Is the only way to keep them alive brewing ale from plants and fruit?
You should've been doing that all along, so if you haven't been you should start immediately. The only dwarves who should ever drink water are babies and those recuperating from injuries in the hospital.
>>
File: cave_croc_vs_clothier.png (8KB, 754x784px) Image search: [Google]
cave_croc_vs_clothier.png
8KB, 754x784px
Thought the clothier was fucked for sure when that gray "C" finally came out of the pool and charged at him. I mean, all he does is sew pretty silk robes.
Instead he sent the croc's teeth flying and punched it hard enough to mess up its insides.
If the militia get hurt while finishing it off I may develop some bad thoughts.
>>
File: qdKPT3v[1].jpg (205KB, 1111x983px) Image search: [Google]
qdKPT3v[1].jpg
205KB, 1111x983px
Axes for general combat.
Spears for big bads.
Hammers for undead.

Did I get it right?
What weapon is the best when wielded by steroid dwarves?
>>
>>148744026
more like
>clothier knocks the croc over
>it falls unconscious and is clearly beaten but he can't finish it off
>first militia member to show up on the scene one-shots it
>militia member walks off taking the credit, suffering no bad thoughts
>clothier who did all the work gets no credit and is loaded up with "vengeful" thoughts for months
>>
>>148744870
don't forget picks, which are disturbingly amazing at taking down megabeasts and humanoids alike
I had a dwarf disable a bronze colossus with a (bronze pick) earlier
>>
>>148746743
Will dwaves train with picks or do you train them by making them mine out entire Z layers?
>>
File: GoGoGadgetDesktop.png (178KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
GoGoGadgetDesktop.png
178KB, 1366x768px
>>148747053
Just have them mine like a mofo and then when you set them to active duty you do a bit of micromanagement with the weapons and stuff until it works or just disable mining and have them full-time military skulldigger.
>>
File: marksdwarf barracks.png (7KB, 179x168px) Image search: [Google]
marksdwarf barracks.png
7KB, 179x168px
>>148666075
a year later and it's still there. I think I'll just let them keep it
slightly embarrassing for them is that none of their squad recorded any kills in that siege, but I don't want to piss on their parade

>>148747053
I don't think they do properly. I've heard of people doing the latter but I don't bother, just throw them in a squad and make sure they do plenty of killing (animals, prisoners, whatever). I think the dodging/armor user etc. skills they get from regular training are enough to carry them through their first few sieges
>>
>>148748243
Well it's definitely hilarious, especially if a necromancer comes by.
>>
>hello legendary weaponsmith, would you like to create a half-decent weapon for your soldier husband to use in combat instead of that low-quality imported bronze crap he has right now?
>no thanks, got some reading to catch up on
>>
>>148750610
>He's strong, he'll be fine, plus he can use our kid as a shie- oh shit.
>>
Are goblin sieges still nonexistent?

are towers still the only source of fun?

Its annoying that all there seems to be is werebastards
>>
>>148746518
I think he could have killed it if he hadn't run off the moment the croc collapsed from pain and overexertion. The punches were violent enough to cause organ trauma and whiplash-style damage.
Seems he also didn't feel anything about being in a fight but is rather euphoric because of the booze. He also feels bad because he saw the previous thread's mass murdering werepig ded.
Fucking lunatic, that one.
>>
>>148751129
No, no, see first two answers.
>>
>>148751129
>Are goblin sieges still nonexistent?
they never were, but they're dramatically less nonexistent now.
>>
>>148751129
Personally I've never seen a goblin siege. The only thing that downs my fort is Forgotten Beasts/Werethings/etc single unit powerhouses. I'm not too keen on traps, siege weapons and other mechanic-related items and at most I'll have 2 squads on any given fort because even with 80 dwarves I feel like their work potential is too great to keep from producing. My chefs though generally make the most of my wealth in master food barrels
>>
So I hear something is happening involving turkey?

I could use a sandwich.
>>
>>148756135
>low population
>slower than necessary wealth production
>never sees sieges
>wonders why
>>
File: 1454761207264.jpg (279KB, 670x509px) Image search: [Google]
1454761207264.jpg
279KB, 670x509px
>>148756170
It is sad, but not unexpected.
>>
>>148756593
I can vaguely remember hear a couple stories about a coup over there in the early 90's so it was weird seeing it pop up, looking around to see what was going on, and oh never mind it's over... go back to what you were doing... just gotta dispose of some scapegoats here.
>>
>>148756170
The recent news from Turkey is that the monarch who recently came to power has been riling up the plebs who worship The Jihad of Kebab.
The military commanders rose to stop the ridiculous mandates, almost resulting in a loyalty cascade. The monarch is now throwing tantrums and some of the plebs have gone berserk.
I think they need some booze desu.
>>
File: 220px-AtaturkSwing2.jpg (20KB, 220x309px) Image search: [Google]
220px-AtaturkSwing2.jpg
20KB, 220x309px
>mfw Toady adds fatal lead, mercury, and arsenic poisoning but doesn't tell anyone
>>
>>148757513
that's actually a good explaining
Of all things, what do you think will be the hardest stuff to implement about magic/myths? to make it realistic and satisfying?
>>
>Only 2 immigrants arrive
I'm okay with this. I like having a small fort so I can actually manage every dwarf. What are the essentials to getting the most done with the fewest dwarves possible?
>>
>>148757513
Fuck, that is actually a well dorfed explanation.

>>148758770
Realism I don't care about, plausible in universe is all that matters, and I think having an explanation for why specific aspects/properties of materials/artifacts are what they are will be satisfying but very difficult.
>>
>>148759218
have 2-3 well-trained, extremely well-equipped military dwarves, and manage any larger threats with traps/magma/chokepoints or whatever.
don't bother with hunting or fishing, just use them to kill wild animals occasionally

since you don't need to produce a lot and you can get by with importing almost everything in terms of cloth/plant products, you can probably have one guy doing all of your farming labours
but don't bother with actual farming(fields), just use a herbalist and import a little bit of food

have lots of miner/engraver/haulers, since building things/clearing areas/etc. will probably be the biggest pain in the ass with a small population. you might want to consider giving them a few points in mining and engraving on embark just so that stuff is quicker early on and they have more time for hauling

keep things small, I guess. having everything close together is ideal, you don't have to worry about traffic nearly as much as you would with a big fort
>>
>>148757521
Mercury and Arsenic aren't even in the game yet though.
The fact that Mercury is somehow liquid at room temperature boggles my mind.
Mercury pools in DF when?
>>
>>148760170
Hmm, I kinda want to start over now and do this, make like a dorf tower to oppose a necro tower or something. Have my barracks at the bottom level and an archer or 2 on the 2nd level, dunno if an archer is worth getting. Isn't there a way to limit the amount of dwarves you can get?
>>
>>148760458
I will feel great when alchemist manage to make potions for their kings using mercury and lead.
Well, I would be happy if alchemy had atleast one use
>>
>>148760832
yep, d_init.txt
you can set a popcap (no. of immigrants), a strict pop cap (no. of immigrants and no. of births), a baby/child cap, a visitor cap, etc.

I love playing forts like this, but I usually end up abandoning them sooner than I want because
>there are long periods where nothing happens
>if you try to make something happen like building a megaproject or whatever, it will take fucking FOREVER because you have no haulers
>>
>>148761224
I notice invaders can be up to 120 it seems, maybe I should turn that down to balance out
>>
>>148762049
nah. you won't get a proper siege until you're over 80 pop anyway. I think you might still face child snatchers, but those are rare and usually in small groups (~10)
>>
>>148762962
Will I still get significant attacks at least even if it's not a full siege? Don't wanna be playing ezmode
>>
HOW DO I GET INTO THIS GAME JESUS
>>
>>148763595
YOU HAVE TO STOP BEING A FAGGOT, MY SON, I WAS VERY SPECIFIC ABOUT THIS I THINK, OR MAYBE IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE, BUT EITHER WAY GOD HATES FAGGOTS SO DON'T DO THAT, THE REST WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF
>>
>>148763184
not really. you'll get
>kobold thieves (if kobolds didn't get fucked up in your area)
>goblin snatchers (rare)
>werebeasts
>forgotten beasts
>titans (if you turn the minimum population down in advanced worldgen, I would recommend this)
>necro sieges (only if you're close to a tower, obviously)
as well as the obvious wildlife. maybe you could embark in an evil biome or on a cave entrance or something to make that a bit more of a challenge
>>
>>148763749
thanks mayne, this could help
>>
>>148763595
Play adventure mode, you'll get immediate feedback to all the new things you're learning rather than being overwhelmed by a new game AND fortress mode management on top of it. A graphic tileset might help you also.
>>
>>148763595
try out new buildings, designations, labors, etc. and if you have no idea what something is/will do, then wiki it. Seriously, have no less than 10 df wiki tabs open at once if you're brand new. it takes a lot of failed forts to get a hang of what you're doing.
>>
>tfw you just thought of making a macro to do your regular needs

>>148764076
NO PROBLEM MY CHILD, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TOUCHING YOURSELF EITHER, HAVE YOU
>>
Are unmemorialized dwarven spirits drawn towards a temple when? I have like 3 ghosts chillin there, not hurting anyone (yet) and haven't seen any anywhere else. It could just be chance, but it sounds like it could be right-ish
>>
File: IconGuide.png (106KB, 1906x1640px) Image search: [Google]
IconGuide.png
106KB, 1906x1640px
>>148763595
More seriously, handy little cheatsheet.
>>
>>148765470
interesting, is it a general temple, or is there some theme?
would be neat if they hung around the temple of whatever deity they worshipped most fervently in life, or a death deity or something
could just be that it's a meeting area though
>>
When I place beds in barracks do I have to assign them to the guys in the military?
>>
>>148762962
Snatchers come alone, but you can sometimes get 2-3 in one season. You're maybe thinking of ambushes.
>>
File: 1465149810452.png (235KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465149810452.png
235KB, 800x1000px
>>148763595
Don't play adventure mode. Play fortress mode and follow this guide.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

You will die before you even get a basic fort up and running so don't worry if you are not doing everything right. The fun comes from having each fortress get bigger and bigger before being destroyed by something you didn't know about.
>>
>>148769000
right. they both exist again in the current version but are both really uncommon, I guess I lumped them together unconsciously

>>148768789
no, if you just assign them as a barracks and then tell the squad to sleep in the barracks, they'll figure it out on their own
granted I don't know why you'd do this, I don't think the 2-3 seconds of time they save not walking to the barracks from their room is better than the happy thoughts they get from sleeping in a great room
>>
>>148769369
You've actually seen an ambush in .42+? Or have you just heard that?
>>
>>148768789
I don't think so. You can select the bed you created the barracks "room" from, highlight a squad with the secondary select keys and press Z, T, I or Q to enable sleeping (Z), training (T), storing personal belongings (I) or squad equipment in the room (Q).
The squad's schedule may affect this too.
>>
I keep getting alerts about some asshole canceling give water: needs empty bucket or give food: no food available. How do I make it stop?
>>
File: 1466680959732.png (150KB, 1468x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1466680959732.png
150KB, 1468x1060px
>>148769713
By getting them an empty bucket, or having food available. Dwarves need food and beer to survive.
>>
>>148769606
yes. I've had 1 (one) ambush, and I think 1-2 episodes of snatchers, since the tavern release. this all happened at one fort, and there have been none in the rest of the 5-6 forts I've played since then.
>>
Haven't played DF in a while.

What's the recommended Z-Level you dig down to when you start off (so you don't hit monster caves and whatnot)?

Also, for mining do you just get to a Z-Level and dig in any direction? Do you need to worry about cave-ins?
>>
setting an owner for a chain set as a room will bound a dwarf right? I got two guys bitten by a werebeast that ended up tearing muscle and I don't have a creative way to kill them yet
>>
>>148773358
When multi-z DF came out about 8 years ago, cave-ins like you are talking about went away.

The only real requirement is to dig down below the soil to prevent the possibility of a tree making a hole in your fortress. Otherwise, the caverns will start somewhere between 15 (default minimum) and ~120 z-levels (most I've ever seen) below the surface, depending on where you embarked.
>>
>>148773358
depends, but usually the main part of my fort is 2-3 z-levels below the deepest soil level. every map is different but the shallowest cavern is usually 20 or so z-levels deep, often more. that said, unless you're generating world with only 1 cavern layer like I do, the top level is pretty benign

cave-ins only occur when something has NO wall/floor/etc. connected to it. read the wiki page, you'd have to fuck up pretty badly to get one while mining.
there's no balance mechanic or anything, so 1x1 tower can have an infinitely long plank stuck to the top of it extending in one direction with no support at the other end, for example, as long as the plank is attached to the tower somehow (diagonally doesn't count)

>>148773470
I don't think that'll do it, no. make him a bedroom and use a burrow to force him into it, then replace the door with a wall

check out the wiki page on werebeasts for their transformation date, if it passes and they don't transform you'll probably want to set them free right away cause they'll be awful thirsty/hungry
>>
File: HowOnEarth.png (58KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HowOnEarth.png
58KB, 1920x1080px
>>148773358
Cave-ins happen when there is no horizontal or vertical support.

#### #
###### <- don't mine that last #
#### # it will hold the rest fine

#### #
### ## < this will collapse
#### # diagonal isn't support

The first 5~10 layers should be above the caverns in default world-gen, you can seal them off with a wall or whatnot if you find them early.
>>
File: 1440063901102.jpg (25KB, 244x662px) Image search: [Google]
1440063901102.jpg
25KB, 244x662px
>Humans bring whips for trade
HUMANS YES, SLAVE LABOR NOW

>>148774325
Thanks for that, got em walled in 2 days before transformation
>>
>>148724752
Uh... The answer is usually yes

>>148730258
>tfw 1x1 embark in an evil biome and you have no room before the spooking starts

>>148731336
Even on a 1x1 glacier/desert embark with only 1 cavern, shallower z-levels, a 60-80 dwarf cap, killing all your pets and butchering your animals, and using entity tokens to lower the gobbo siege/ambush req and dwarf king req?

On a 3x3 I'll already be at 200 fps after embark but on a 1x1 I need a few years to dip under that.

>>148734818
Like 10 fps. Use traffic designations too.
>>
>>148773358
Dig a down staircase then updown stair somewhere near a corner where you wont care about it at least 7 tiles in from map edges. Keep drilling until you identify your aquifers, caverns, magma sea. Wall off or up stair any cavern breaches, Then ramp down to the magma sea (Use macros!), drop a depot, dump everything down there, and setup shop.
>>
>>148779059
If you're going to do this you might as well just copy the save and map everything out.
>>
>>148779765
Hmm? I don't follow.
>>
>Get a migrant wave
>It's like 27 dorfs
>All from my last retired fort
>Have like 20 legendary soldiers
Well shoot.
>>
>>148780439
Do they keep their equipment? And does that mean your old fort got rekt?
>>
>>148780439
I always feel bad when this happens. some dude who lived in a palatial room and used elite steel equipment travels half the world to live in my fort
I show him to an unfinished and unfurnished little room, give him a copper battle axe and a wooden shield, and tell him to help himself to the uncooked meat or plain vegetables any time he likes
>>
>>148781056
No. If someone attacked it maybe but it'll probably be getting visiting soldiers so whatever. Plus it still has about 70 more legendary soldiers. It'll be fine
>>
>>148780235
If you're going to go through the effort of mapping out the underworld in a way that won't interfere with your desired fort aesthetics, you might as well just go all the way and map it out in a different save so you don't mar the good one.
>>
>>148782432
It's not for aethetics, just so that it's not in the way of wherever you need to run your shit through. If it's 7 in from the map edge you can just put a wall on the top plug and you can wall, leave it alone, or convert it easily since you aren't cucked by the outside wall/trap restriction.
>>
>>148783764
Exactly. If you want to put it somewhere that it doesn't "mess up" the rest of your fort, just put it in a different save where it can't mess it up.
>>
stop playing monsterhunter
>>
>Umci Vaultdrink, human pikeman, petitions to join fortress as a mercenary
>oh sure, we can use experienced troops
>assign to foreigner squad, order some human-sized mail and other stuff
>aborts Pickup Equipment: Horrified
>floor menaces with 1 trodgolyte tooth
What the fuck, not even the migrant kids freak out about that one.
>>
>>148786923
>buy giant leopard from elves
>train him for hunting
>assign him to my hunter
>he runs outside, gets one look at the camel that his master is trying to kill - struggling on the ground and full of bolts - panics, and runs half the map to get away
"""carnivore"""

dwarves might be retarded, but everything non-dwarven is even MORE retarded
>>
>>148787469
Even Giant leopards 10 times the size of a dwarf know to swerve in front of their betters, why don't yours?
>>
I've dug down in almost every spot of the map and I keep running into water. How do I get past this disgusting crap?
>>
When are we gonna be able to build boats? I hate how I have to swim from one continent to another in adventurer mode if I didn't take the time to generate a world with all landmasses connected to each other. Now that the carpenter skill was added it's a pretty obvious addition
>>
>>148791380
I dunno about player built boats but Toady wants to do boats after this magic artifact stuff IIRC.
>>
>>148789929
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer#Dealing_with_aquifers
>>
>>148789929
Easiest way is just to dump a pile of dirt on it. If the aquifer isn't too deep it'll punch right through all the way to the stone alyer
>>
Is there a "max limit" on the number of people alive during worldgen? Whenever I create a world I can never seem to exceed approximately 20K people (total historical figs - dead ), no matter how many civilizations there are.
>>
File: This-Page-Is-Your-Friend.jpg (80KB, 419x591px) Image search: [Google]
This-Page-Is-Your-Friend.jpg
80KB, 419x591px
>>148793768
>>
>>148794573
Yes I checked the wiki and no, the worldgen page doesn't say anything on population cap. I just find it curious.
>>
>>148794712
Read again underage skimfag
>>
>>148751129
I had one just a while ago that was about a hundred goblins strong or so, which was pretty fun seeing as I only had eighty dwarves at the time.
>>
>>148793768
>>148794712

>design a new world with advanced parameters

literally all you had to do
>>
So I've just reached candy for the second time and I've realized how much DF has lost its shine...

How do I bring wnjoyment back? Can you suggest goals/challenges that are fun and require a lot of time?
>>
>>148800323
Use lower pop caps and avoid item intensive industries to keep fps up. Modify the dorf and goblin entity tokens so you get a king anyway and sieges/ambushes will still show.

Build a dorf colony that only eats vermin and drinks water. Do your best to survive.
Build an artifact mill that rushes magma and seeds weapon/armorsmith/leatherworker moods. Can you get a squad of 10 artifact clad dorfs? How many thousands of artifacts can you make by cycling in new dorfs/chilluns?
Low-tech surface or cavern fort. Only use metal for furniture/non-military picks. can you endure on a tidal wave of wood, bone and stone?
Do an extracts fort. Venom, purring maggot milk, moghopper juice, fire snake liquid, valley herbs, gnomeblight, etc.
Build a silk textile colony. Shoot for max value clothes to sell.
Do an imports only fort. Embark with some raw materials and from there everything you eat, use and sell must be bought.
Build a fort in the magma sea and trap fire snakes 420erryday
You're a band of animal tamers. Catch, tame, and breed vermin and animals for defense and profit. end goal is breeding war/hunting animals selectively and sending 30+ gigantic incredibly muscular, and corpulent war/hunt animals home every year
Build a fortress that uses siege engines for the majority of its defense
Embark to evil biomes and setup fortresses in every evil biome. Note the evil effect in notepad.
Make an ultra-high value and aesthetically pleasing cathedral+library+zoo and sustain it on beekeeping and other exotic means. Bonus points for >10 trapped forgotten beasts.
Set a low pop cap to 7, 20, or 40 and breed your population.
Add roads to all the civs entity entries. Build a tavern at an intersection or roads, over water, through a mountain or anywhere else that'd be a major throughfare. Bonus for a gimmick like all Cave croc meat and mead.
Make a fort out of green glass with clear glass furniture
Pick a color scheme of up to 3 colors
>>
>>148800323
Build a fort inside cavern 3. No pussy faggot raising bridges, cage trap carpet, or walling off
>>
File: Untitled.png (7KB, 582x182px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7KB, 582x182px
Sweet Jesus
>>
>>148808240
Time to draft her in the military and send her in the danger room for a couple months
>>
File: º∞ºdescentº∞º.gif (260KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
º∞ºdescentº∞º.gif
260KB, 666x666px
>>
>>148809783
Fug that reminds me, I was gonna make a fort at the base of an aquifer dam
>>
I am having trouble trying to figure out how to set up my food'n'booze industry.
I don't care wether dorfs eat cooked or raw food, so I originally wanted to set up my Farmers Workshop, Quern, Butcher's Shop, and Tanner up on my farm/animal floors, with the Kitchens and Stills down on the dining floor with the food stockpile, but after reading some wiki articles, I'm starting to have second thoughts about that.
But If I make separate stockpiles up at the farming floor, putting plants that can be processed at the the farmer's workshop/quern, it might screw up the still production, with the closest brewable plants being plump helmets
So the only option would be to move the stills and kitchens up to the farm floor too, but then the entire food stockpile may as well be moved up there too and then it's just like "what's the point, everything's up here now. in the dirt."
>>
>>148810447
You can bucket irrigate a couple 3x3's and 3x7's anywhere no problem.

If that's all you care about, just toggle shit to be cooked or brewed in the kitchen menu.
>>
>>148802675
How does one increase the rate of artifact moods?

Is there some possible increase in the d_init files I could do or a special environment to raise them in?
>>
>>148811759
>How does one increase the rate of artifact moods?

Can't.

They start when pop cap hits 20 and no derf will have them a second time.
>>
>>148811759
I don't mean the rate, I mean take migrants and make armorsmithing/weaponsmithing/leatherworking their highest moodable skill. Once they make an artifact, edit their nickname and once you are almost out of dorfs that can mood start killing them off. Preferably with a drop shaft to train doctors in the process.
>>
>>148812631
On that note, you basically can't allow children or they'll soak up all the moods. You have to keep cycling in migrants.
I do one metal job on my drone dwarfs as a rule, it's really fun to keep pumping out artifact weapons and things and it helps me feel less cheated when a child makes a wooden toy with one decoration.
>>
>>148669496
Clean designation fucking when toady? My faggot migrants are puking all over the surface so I have to look at every tile to know what I want to irrigate.
>>
File: g.png (2KB, 454x84px) Image search: [Google]
g.png
2KB, 454x84px
Best god Y/N?
>>
>>148814663
Y
>>
>>148811759
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood#Frequency

I almost want to not respond to such simple fucking questions and just let you suffer in your own ignorance
but that would be cruel.
>>
Keeping stone and ores in normal stockpiles is a shitty idea, is it? I mean I'd need a stockpile equal to the size of my fortress to keep it all since you can't stack them
>>
>>148814663
Pretty cool, but the god of lust and children someone else posted was my favorite.
>>
Is there a reliable way to store bolts in a stockpile like bins? If I add quivers to the stockpile, would that hold more than 25 per square?
>>
>>148816141
Nah. it works out fine. Early on, stone crafts devour a lot until you transition out of it.. If you aren't gonna mass import barrels, booze and logs for pots, you'll use a couple hundred on pots. A couple thousand on stone furniture and mechanisms. A bit for magma safe mechanisms, blocks for bridges, and doors. Depending on your plan, an assload of stone blocjks Make the sizes in proportion to how many it's supplying, how far away from its sources it is, and how many haulers/stone haulers you have.

Ore you sort by imported weapons grade metals and alloys or imported precious/decorative alloy ore and separate piles for whatever major ores you can mine on your map so they don't choke your imports.

Use wheelbarrows and have a good time.

>>148818405
Read the wiki or use your eyes to actually look at what the game tells you dip.
>>
File: god of gods.png (36KB, 1364x109px) Image search: [Google]
god of gods.png
36KB, 1364x109px
>>148814663
it's good. but if you're going to be a god, why not be the god of everything relevant?
>>
>>148816141
Stockpiling stone is a noob trap. You'll produce more than you can effectively stockpile once you've gotten good enough to make a decent fort, and before then stockpiling stone with leech a lot of labor that you could be applying to mor usefule things. Having small ore stockpiles near your smelters is another matter. If you plan to do that make sure you take advantage of wheelbarrows to shorten your hauling time and limit the number of dwarves that will haul to that stockpile.
>>
Whyy can't I buy a nice house in town in Adventure mode.

I just want to be a humble peasant.
>>
>>148821787
Stone is fucking heavy. Not using wheelbarrows or minecarts is kicking yourself in the dick.
>>
So the lord of one of my civilization's major towns is a gorlak.

What am I supposed to do with him? And how do gorlaks become rulers of human towns anyway? I didn't even know they were capable of speech.
>>
How does you all determine who should be doing what labor? In Dwarf Therapist, for example, I'd sort everyone on their capability per role, but how many jobs is too many per dwarf to ensure that when you want someone to mine/plant/etc, it would be done sooner than later
>>
>>148822479
I do about one dwarf per moodable or quality-level job (except planting which gets several) and everybody else gets all the non-moodable, no-quality jobs so there are always lots available to do them.
>>
>just started a new adventurer
>starting human civ only has bronze equipment, but that's okay as I don't expect to stay there long
>go to a kobold camp to get some easy xp
>mfw they use steel weapons

Did the dev make steel more commonplace with the latest update? That's certainly not the kind of gear I expected to get from kobolds
>>
When will I be able to live in town and do peasantRP?
>>
File: GorlakExaltedMoth.png (55KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GorlakExaltedMoth.png
55KB, 1920x1080px
>>148822001
You can rent a room above the tavern atm.

>>148822352
They just couldn't open doors until Toady fixed it, they talk fine, I had a poet I brought adventuring with me once, it was super cute when I gave him a dagger and he strapped it to his head.

>>148823845
They probably stole them from a nearby dorf civ, I made dorfs build tombs instead of humans to generate more steel loot in game, myself, raiding a tomb for iron at best seems dumb.
>>
>>148824242
How do I sleep in a bed and is there a bonus for doing so?
>>
>>148824242
That makes me wonder, if I pushed someone from a really high place in DF and they fall to their death does the game consider it I murdered him?
>>
File: GorlakPoetWhat.png (292KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GorlakPoetWhat.png
292KB, 1920x1080px
>>148824334
Atm you just gotta lay on it and crash, but no bonus that I know of, though I wouldn't be surprised if you got the option to talk about how nice it was sleeping in a bed.

>>148824561
If you didn't attack them directly, and just "accidentally" jumped into them, then no. Minecarts work too.
>>
>>148824676
But if I throw a punch in non lethal combat and they fall, then it's murder. But if I run into them really fast and bump in them and they fall, then it is?
>>
>>148824798
Eh, not sure it's murder if it was non-lethal, if someone saw it happen it might be, if you do it the other way it's an accident?
>>
How do you forbid eggs in a nest box to ensure hatching?
>>
>>148826115
Only way iv found is to not allow eggs in any stockpiles.
>>
Two fun things with my current adventurer:

1. The elves beneath the human fortress have STEEL gear. I forcibly disrobed an elven qt3.14 and performed sweet poems for her to make her happy again.
2. I didn't realize you could dragoon jump people. Was chasing a goblin, and I jumped into him, causing him to skid along the ground for 8+ squares.
>>
File: WellDamnItFroze.png (185KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
WellDamnItFroze.png
185KB, 1366x768px
Got df up to 6.3 GB used with the whole system at 7.54 GB and it was taking minutes to move the mouse so I did a hard shutdown, gonna see if the site is full of animals or something because collapsing magma+ice doesn't do this by itself usually.

>>148829576
I like to call it Dragonfall, Mamgozumid.
>>
File: TheresTheProblem.png (80KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheresTheProblem.png
80KB, 1920x1080px
>>148829690
Oh Jesus...
>>
Dwarf Therapist will never update
>>
Man, spearmen and pikemen can ruin your shit so fast. I never get that kind of problems with other weapons but those gus won't care if you're a legendary dodger, they'll stab you in the dick and sever a thousand sensory nerves regardless
>>
File: 081[1].jpg (66KB, 400x490px) Image search: [Google]
081[1].jpg
66KB, 400x490px
Noob question:

Is armor layering only for adventure mode, or should I be assigning 3 mail shirts and 6 cloaks to my military?
>>
>>148831546
If you're willing to put yourself through that kind of micromanagement hell then do it.
>>
>>148822352
They're intelligent.
Leave him be? He's apparently a pretty cool dude.
>>
>>148826115
t+f
Or config your stockpiles properly you buttslut
>>
>>148830035

?
>>
>>148833430
Campsites cause animal populations to explode sometimes, all the cyan sense creature icons are extra critters and lagfucking me to death.
>>
What's the difference between "bowman" and "archer"? does archer affect accuracy of thrown weapons as well?
>>
File: 1443072600700.jpg (45KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1443072600700.jpg
45KB, 960x640px
>getting lots of shit done
>discover workflow plugin
>get so much more shit done, 0/90 idlers constant
>big furniture placement coming up; royal dining room inc
>crash, probably a few weeks before seasonal autosave

fuck that, i'm doing it again tomorrow
>all of it
boy i'm fuckin mad
>>
>df 2030
>Human siege brings artifact siege tower
what do
>>
>>148834043
Load your boat and get the fuck outta there.
>>
File: region4-00180-01-01-world_map.png (259KB, 1560x2340px) Image search: [Google]
region4-00180-01-01-world_map.png
259KB, 1560x2340px
>>148833719
Well that world is dead, even retiring and trying to load back up ends up with 5.4 GB of ram right away. Shame, onward to the next!
>>
>>148834347
But they brought along a whole fleet of artifact battleships.
>>
>>148833725
Read the wiki jesus.

>>148833762
Always save after you do a lot of shit.

It's nice having a lot of idlers for hauling, bucketing, and dumping though.

>>148834043
ram enough ballista bolts and stones into its asspussy that it falls apart. Or not really care cause I'll just have my legend squad take it over
>>
>threetoe stories involving flying castles
>YFW that wizard you just tortured to death in the arena was the magical thing keeping his castle floating above your fortress
>>
File: 1436042422996.jpg (284KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1436042422996.jpg
284KB, 500x322px
>>148834976
>>
>>148834828
As soon as they get out of front gate a human wizard chants a spell and they explode into gore.
>>
>>148834976
chaika
>>
>>148834976
>>148835632
>Urist and Armok at the Tavern
>Chaika, when the castle fell
>Mistem, her eyes open!
>>
>>148756170
The world is the same as ever.
>>
>mason is stuck on tree
>figured cutting him down was the best plan
>killed by gringo wood log to the head
Well fuck me.
>>
Ok I can now finally assign work to humans, do they make human-sized clothing?
>>
>>148838319
>gringo wood log
Why is this so funny?

>>148838371
You can special order gear sized for different races.
>>
>>148838371
Not unless you order them to.
Set some clothing to be made and check the job details.
>>
I don't want to go back to 32bits but this fucking vanilla labor management is driving me insane and i even use macros.

Anyone knows a decent preferably video tutorial to the new job manager system? I don't get it.
>>
>>148676553
>DF ripoff

Did Toady license all of the DF mechanics or something? Someone needs to explain me all this hate
>>
>that red C appears again
>how many months will it take the hunter to kill that fucking weasel?
>the Giant Cave Spider is fighting!
>the Farmer Zefon Estilzas is fighting!
>fuck fuck fuck, how did that get past the checkpoint?
>mfw the farmer dodged all its attacks and kicked it so hard it dropped
Have dwarven civilians gotten a lot more competent recently or are mine just lucky as hell?
>>
>>148839416
Oh. It got a name anyway after meeting some embarrassment of a ranger in the hallway. It bit the guy in the head and shook him hard enough to break his neck.

"Leopardcrowds" the Giant Cave Spider was then killed by an axe blow from the foreign rejects squad's commander while it was distracted by a certain human crossbowman biting it in the legs (what the fuck).
>>
>>148838319
How did you get a mason stuck on a tree? Was he some kind of elf-weeb?
>>
>>148841529
No idea. It could be he was scared of a kea.

How do I deal with this next time? Building stepladders or something?
>>
>>148841709
Not sure, you could build stairs up to him I guess if that doesn't work, seems like a pain though. Hopefully your dwarves stop ending up on trees, I've never had that happen.
>>
>>148841709
Chop down all the trees before the next time?
>>
>>148841709
Build a ramp
>>
File: RockosDwarvenLife.png (4KB, 1239x61px) Image search: [Google]
RockosDwarvenLife.png
4KB, 1239x61px
>new fort
>no other kids

I guess the poor lad got bored and needed a useless fucking toy, at least he made it dorfy with bones and spikes.
>>
Anyone playing this on Linux? More specifically, Fedora? Is WINE good enough? What version do you use?
I'd like to start playing it, but I'm not going to Wangblows again just for it.
>>
>>148843120
There's a Linux build that works just fine in Debian at least.
Some of the memory hacking tools may be a bit behind the Windows version, though.
>>
>>148843326
I'll check that when I get home. There's probably a RPM of it. Should I start playing it vanilla? Or use some starter pack? I'm gonna have some free time so I'm planning on learning to play it.
>>
>>148843459
I'm sure there's an rpm, I'm on arch using the native arch package myself, you won't regret starting out and derping around in vanilla, and the tools like dfhack and shit are all generally updated at the same time for the different oses.
>>
>>148842282
I wonder, will he ever actually play with it? dwarves usually ignore artifact clothing/crafts
>>
>>148844680
I saw a kid playing with an artifact puzzle box just now.
May have something to do with it being the only toy in the fortress.
>>
>>148845728
neat. I wonder what kinds of weird dwarven childcare stuff will be possible once the magic/artifacts update comes out, assuming artifact toys still exist
>>
When you embark and take a boot, is that a pair of boots or just 1 boot?

Same thing for when you craft boots, 1 or 2?
>>
>>148846614
not sure about when you embark, but when you craft it's 2
>>
>>148846227
Might get interesting if their personality, needs and preferences were shaped by their experiences while growing up.
Of course the fortress would need to last much longer and avoid FPS death to see the effects from this.
Imagine family lines of cheesemakers and master smiths, each with their own bizarre obsessions passed down the line.
I wish the descriptions of normal items would mention their maker's marks or peculiar embellishments (which would depend on the craftsdwarf's tastes).
>>
>>148846614
You always craft only one of those (socks and gloves too) so Dwarfs can suffer "one of each pair" always.
>>
>>148846775
>I wish the descriptions of normal items would mention their maker's marks or peculiar embellishments
would be neat. if we can't have guild-like family clans within a fort, it would at least be cool to see individual masters taking pride in their work.

but yeah
>the fortress would need to last much longer and avoid FPS death
I'd like a million bucks and a flying car too while we're at it
>>
>>148838319
Build up/down stairs to him.

>>148839312
Use prefs and nicknames
>>
>>148838434
>>148838506
>check the job details
How?
>>
File: pumps.png (6KB, 131x312px) Image search: [Google]
pumps.png
6KB, 131x312px
Is this the right way of building pumps? My niggaz are drinking stagnant water instead of using those pumps so I figure something's wrong with it.
>>
>DF is 64 bit now
How much of a change did it make?
>>
>>148850630
There's a details view for already created jobs/orders that lets you specify materials for rock items, alternate armor sizes, topics for art pieces and so on.
>>
File: 772[1].jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
772[1].jpg
42KB, 800x587px
How do you change weapons in adventure mode?
>>
File: Unnoticed-2069013_266_394.jpg (14KB, 266x394px) Image search: [Google]
Unnoticed-2069013_266_394.jpg
14KB, 266x394px
>>148851060
I really never noticed this, fuck...
>>
>>148850897
It doesn't crash on huge embarks. FPS didn't really improve so they still run like thick syrup roast though.
>>
>>148841709
You can build stairs up to him to let him down.

Scaring him again would probably work as well, as long as you can direct him away from the tree rather than further up. Dwarves seem to use more aggressive pathfinding when in combat, whether they're running away from creatures or chasing after them. Ideally, they'd also do that when starving or dehydrated to reach food or water, but polishing new features has never been Toady's thing.
>>
>>148851172
'p'ut old weapon in your backpack (or 'd'rop it)
'r'emove new weapon from backpack (or 'g'et it from the ground)
>>
What was the last DF Version that worked with the latest Dwarf Therapist?
>>
File: sheep.jpg (19KB, 1039x344px) Image search: [Google]
sheep.jpg
19KB, 1039x344px
Beware the sheep Demo, no mortal can contest his fluffiness !!! Also I want to build a tower with many z levels and add one narrow bridge at the top to throw gobs down. Is it possible for gobs to grab the bridge tile in the moment in which they are thrown down ?
>>
>>148850837
The right way is to [b]uild a sti[l]l so you can brew booze.
>>
>>148853098
Not impossible, I guess, but chance is so low that you'll need to dump millions of them down there to see any effect.
>>
>>148853098
I'm reasonably confident you can't grab bridge tiles, or ledges in general. Only tiles you can normally climb, like natural rock walls and trees.
>>
when i'm bored, I like to go to the wiki and look at the god's spheres and think about all the cool stuff that will be available in the future when gods can actually represent in any way the things they are adored for
like, why the fuck is there a sphere for depravity or boundaries, what does a god of boundaries do? nothing
I live in a constant state of hypeness and despair, and I don't like it
>>
>>148853740
Thanks, project is on than. How many z levels i need to to see some really bloody gore ?
>>
>>148855947
it depends on how dense the landing pad is and whether it's trapped, but if they fall 20+ z-levels they'll be smashed up a bit, and at 40+ they'll really start to explode on impact

but even 10 or so is enough if they're hitting a lead (or whatever) floor covered in serrated blade traps
>>
>>148850837
You have to dig well on the opposite end and pump the water into it to clean it. Don't force your dwarves to drink water though, you bastard.
>>
Is there a way to change site size after embarking? Started at 3x3 location and it looks way too tiny
>>
>>148856745
I don't think so, not without dfhack dickery anyway
but
>Started at 3x3 location and it looks way too tiny
I'm afraid you're going to have to live with it, anything bigger is probably going to cause slowdown problems
having played on 2x2 for some time, 3x3 looks really big to me. you'll adapt
>>
>>148856745
Abandon, reembark on the same place(DFhack "embark everywhere" feature)
>>
>>148856638
Can you draw me a side view of how it should look?
>>
Are there ANY graphics packs that are even compatible with version 0.43?
>>
File: effort.png (84KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
effort.png
84KB, 1536x864px
>>148859015
>>
>>148860286
All of them which aren't twbt sets are already compatible if they were caught up with the last creature changes in 42 something..
>>
>>148860556
I take it the pump is on the right and the well is to the left?
>>
>>148861158
Pump is the big brown thing, well is on the left, right is pond/river.
>>
>>148861146
I'm trying to use Phoebus and Dwarf Therapist, but I'm really not sure which versions to use and what's the latest verison of Dwarf Fort I can use to accomodate both.

Can I please have some help, I've tried so many time.
>>
>>148852538
>>
>so far only goblins I seen are tavern visitors
I'm lucky and did good fort site or this version have problem with sieges?
>>
>>148864297
its either I get seiges or visitors
>>
>>148864297
>not purging goblin visitors
>>
>>148849505
That's wrong. Paired items are always crafted in pairs unless made by a strange mood.
>>
Are minecarts/tracks ever worth it to actually transport shit? It seems like a lot of effort when you can just build more wheelbarrows
>>
>>148865727
Yeah. Setup a catch stockpile near your quarry with wheelbarrows. then minecart it over to the fort. Use impluse ramps and track stops so it's a push and good to go
>>
>The muscular giant cave spider misses you!
>The spinning silver slicing knife strikes the muscular giant cave spider in the cephalothorax, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the brain!
>The muscular giant cave spider has been shot and killed.
>You gesture!
>Giant cave spider corpse shudders and begins to move!
>>
>>148865526
I prefer some little multirace flavor to dwarf fort.
Have some visitors and accept some and made them see dwarf ways, or use as cannon fodder.
>>
Can you have kobolt or animal people as tawern visitors?
>>
File: ProtectorBrigand.png (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ProtectorBrigand.png
70KB, 1920x1080px
>>148866969
Yeah, it's nice having different groups mixing and interacting, more stuff happens.

Here I found what seems to be two different bandit groups fighting, I guess one of them were in control of this hamlet, while the others were starting shit?
>>
File: _1_10.jpg (410KB, 1400x1069px) Image search: [Google]
_1_10.jpg
410KB, 1400x1069px
>>148868396
How do you get that dialogue which you spoke. Did the bandits happen to ask what you thought of them?
>>
File: 1466691972992.jpg (61KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466691972992.jpg
61KB, 960x960px
I donated to Bay12 and sent Tarn an email and he replied!

He didn't say thank you though.
>>
>>148868761
Try to talk to an active combatant and you get
Ask why traveling
Demand yield
Express emotions <-
Never mind

Go into the emotions menu and you can access normal convo options, but in most cases you can also use one at the top "give your impression of the [race] [soandso]" to get that.
>>
Gather round children, hear the tale of Urist McCrossbow, the greatest warrior of our fortress.
Upon the arrival of Kib the Werejackal, Urist alone strayed outside the defenses of the fort, because no one noticed his active hunting labor, in search of the fox that had killed his pet Cavy, Urist Jr.
Urist came upon the werejackal just as it was finishing off the fox. He boldly charged the beast, before dodging into a pool of deep water and drowning.
>>
BOATS

WHEN
>>
>>148869953
Eight years.
>>
>>148869953
After all the artifact stuff you ninny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR234dzDo4E
>>
total noob here, got my firts actual "play", did some diggings, some tree chopping, set up some stockpiles, but i cant dig deeper, and the dwarfs wont make the fucking stairway (guess i fucked up)
so how do i go deeper?
>>
>>148871698
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide#Stairways
>>
>>148871698
I found channeling/ramps less complicated.

Just channel to lower level, dig tunnel from ramp and dont dig around ramp anymore. Do similar thing near and connect those in tunnel and dig what you want. Just be sure none of miners stuck there.
>>
File: Carl point-right.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Carl point-right.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
>>148871160
that's pretty badass
>>
>>148869043
what did he say in the email?
>>
File: Seinfield question right.jpg (5KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
Seinfield question right.jpg
5KB, 318x159px
What's the deal with things like lye, cook/brew mats not being fetchable for their jobs? I mean yeah it's a bug, but has anyone found a nice way around it? I don't just want to make a quantum stockpile and feel like cheating
>>
>try to use Dwarf Therapist for the 10th time
>read dwarves
>DwarfTherapist.exe has stopped working

This fucking sucks, how the fuck can I play this game if every single thing that was designed to help you is outdated like a piece of shit?
>>
>>148873272
I thought those bugs were fixed in recent versions? None of those problems remain on my end.
>>
>>148873610
you wait for them to update you fucker
>>
>>148874219
Which is going to be in, what, a few months?
>>
>>148873272
Only problem I have is with lye in barrels, I just make a stockpile for lye only with no barrels.
>>
File: komputer.jpg (250KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
komputer.jpg
250KB, 1024x768px
>>148872782
Just that he's glad that i'm having fun
>>
>>148874308
43.03 had a dfhack pre-release and I think therapist? I dunno, adventurer mode is much less dependant on that shit so I just ride the update wagons.
>>
*anon gestures*
>>
It turn out I was wrong and Goblins can still siege me (right after seasonal save).

But I will deal with it tommorow.

I hope my one squad will handle it.
>>
Can you have more actions queued on a smaller embark (presumably by having with less paths available) or is the issue just units moving at all?
>>
>>148881124
Item count is a bigger problem, but having larger areas to track fluid/pathing/temperature calculations across doesn't help.
>>
File: 1445241271481.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1445241271481.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>The hammerdward lashes the giantess in the head with her (bronze whip), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
>>
File: SwishBitches.png (61KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SwishBitches.png
61KB, 1920x1080px
>>148884835
Ha ha ha, murder.
>>
rip
>>
File: 1371495340650.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1371495340650.gif
2MB, 640x360px
Hey guys

I got really busy lately, and haven't played DF in over half a year.

If you guys wouldn't mind, could someone please fill me in on the biggest recent changes to the game?

I skimmed this thread a bit, and it looks like he will implement magic. Has he detailed his plans anywhere?
>>
>>148890915
Taverns, temples and libraries and all their related workers.
procedurally generated instruments and artistic expresions, etc.
This new version included weapon and armor damage and more realistic battle system, implementing damage to near joints when hitting a body part, pretty cool
He's now working on all the artifacts stuff, and after that he'll get into magic/myth stuff but it's all in the air on how it's gonna be done.
You can see everything that is known about the myth arc until now in this vid
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zwPdPvN10
min 10:30

That's all the big stuff for now, if you want it in more detail, there's the pic updated with all the new content in the previous thread, i think
>>
I captured a drunian. Should I keep him alive for whatever purpose, or use him as live target practice since actually getting dwarfs to use the damn archery targets is impossible. Sadly it has no mate, so breeding is out of the picture for the time being.
>>
>>148890915
>Has he detailed his plans anywhere?
literally top center of the webpage
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

new features list is 2long4post, just play the game and read the wiki
>>
>>148891779
>>148891847
Thanks guys, that's a whole lot of good progress.

Also thanks for the links
>>
>>148892051
no prob bro.
Talking about how you asked for magic, each world's magic will be closely tied to it's world mythology, that we already know.
As in maybe dwarves get created by a god of rocks and life and the race receive a natural ability to astrally travel to a plane made from solid booze and goblin remains
(could be, not joking)

Yeah, it's a lot of progress, hope he'll be soon working on the starting scenarios arc, that shit will completely change the game
>>
Will a flying creature set off a trap if it's on the same z-level with a ceiling above it? For example, if a kea flew into your fort to steal something would it get caught in a trap?
>>
>>148893324
Yes. They just have to share a tile with a trap, ceilings don't figure into it.
>>
>>148893324
yeah
>>
>There will never be porn of dwarves and kobolds co-existing where the kobolds are subservient fucksleeves and carry mules in exchange for food and shelter

also bump
>>
>>148891836
Build a bed/rack/stand
Set room size
Assign squad to a barracks
Build archery targets
Set room size and fire direction
Assign squad to each archery target
Assign 50 bolts per dwarf in the m-f menu
Make sure you have sufficient crossbows, quivers, and bolts
Manually go hunt some wildlife to skill up to a medium level then forget about them
Watch them train
???
Whoops you used up all your bolts. Nice job

You're a fag and your shit's all stupid
>>
>>148873610
>>148874308
Wait for them to update or just use nicknames and custom professions like tarn intended
>>
>>148903863
All of the marksdwarves are constantly walking around with full quivers and their crossbows strapped to their back. They still never train.
>>
>you will never have a superpowered cpu-server room capable of 16x16 embarks with 500 dwarf capacity at 100+ framerate in larger-than-default 10k year old worlds with unlimited historical figures enabled
>toady will die before he focuses on performance improvements before adding more content
>scamps will die in your lifetime
>zach will die in your lifetime
>forever fps-death inevitable

why even live?
>>
>>148907290
because losing is fun.
>>
File: 1458223960784.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1458223960784.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>first time building a well
>made a channel bringing water from the river into the fort
>even put some grates as wiki suggested
>very proud of myself
>watching my pasture and some woodcutting while water flows
>back to fort
>water everywhere
>actual fucking water pressure

I'll read the entire wiki page next time. At least my retard brain is getting used to this.
>>
I have 5 dancers and 19x14 dancing space in my tavern yet I havent seen a single dance in all 7 years of my current fort.

Does overcrowding of my tavern influence the dancing? I reclaimed this fort before after playing an adventurer and its full of the 'hostile friendly visitors' bug that you get when you reclaim one of your forts that recieve visitors during your absence. but even before I retired it the first time nobody would dance.

What gives?
>>
>>148907865
Such is the fate of us all.
>>
>>148884835
>jamming the skull through the brain
I know that's what it says in the game, but aren't brains supposed to be inside the skull?
>>
>>148911773
yeah. not the reverse
>>
>>148911773
I imagine it as shattering the skull and pushing the skull fragments through the brain.
>>
>>148911773
Skull gets broken
Part of skull moves inward
Moving part of skull goes into the brain

How is that a hard concept to grasp?
>>
>>148912771
pretty fucking hard if you've got a chunk of skull jammed in your brain like anon there
>>
>>148908156
Ah yes, the first well never ends quite as well as one would expect
>>
>want to learn the game
>therapist doesnt support the version that came in the pack
God dammit.
>>
can someone explain mine cart friction to me?

>how much is lost during travel?
>how much is lost during 1 z-level climb?
>how much is gained from 1 z-level drop?

basically, how many impulse ramps do I need for 1 ramp?
>>
>>148914224
Learn to play vanilla before you mod, or you will end up being another one of those retards who can't play without mods.
>>
>>148907239
Did you at least set them to active/training?
>>
>>148914224
Use nicknames and custom professions. It's easy as fuck

>>148914524
Read the wiki it tells all of it and there's more on the forum you fuck.
>>
>>148914524
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Minecart
>>
>>148914886
yes, the table talks about friction

so can you help me derive how many impulse ramps I need for 1 ramp aka

>>
>>148915164
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Minecart#Numbers_behind_the_scene
>>
>>148915348
I'm glad you found the table

so

>>
>>148915462
Are you literally retarded or just pretending.
>>
>>148915843
He's apparently retarded
>>
> A dwarf enters a strange mood
> Doesn't leave her room.
> Nothing different in her thoughts
What do i do?
>>
>>148918420
Build one of every workshop retard.
>>
>>148918420
Build every workshop that can be mooded. Quickly.
>>
>>148918420
yeah it's not hard, just make some room and do it.
>>
>>148919585
>>148919674
Alright, thanks for the help
>>
>>148914224
You learn the game by playing it. Using a utility to avoid playing a part of the game is the opposite of what you want.
>>
>>148727239
Holy fuck, this is hilarious. Saved
>>
>the goblin outpost liaison has arrived
the diversity is getting to be a bit much with this latest version
>>
File: death is certain.jpg (34KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
death is certain.jpg
34KB, 480x640px
>>148926241
How easily you forget the legend of Cacame, the great elf king of the dwarves
>>
Boltgun seems chill. Any ideas on how he could rebalance his succ mod to not be turbo easy mode? More invaders? A condition that triggers constant, massive sieges?
>>
File: 1.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
>Anole women
Well I know what MY dream immigrants are.
>>
>spring of my first year
>undead siege
oh my fucking god, I've never even had an undead siege before. they've been changed right, I won't have an army of fingers and hands coming after me? I don't even have weapons yet
>>
>>148930190
In my experience they don't even bother you anymore. They just sit at the edge of your map for a couple of years.
>>
>>148930705
If toady made them actually surround the fort that could be a pretty serious siege. Undead don't need to eat or sleep, they can stand watch and murk any dwarves that go outside.

Of course that isn't a huge deal given that most fortresses can survive indefinitely without sending anyone outside
>>
>>148930705
they're coming right at my fort. that said, there's only four corpses. the necromancer appeared briefly but apparently is no longer on the map. don't I have to kill him to end it? or will mashing the corpses enough kill them

can they swim? I just got a stellar moat up, I'm gonna be pissed if it's useless against them
>>
>>148931180
They won't drown but IDK if they can cross it or if they'll just flounder around
>>
my strength has been broken
>>
>>148929095
Do beast people visit your fortress?
Have only gotten humans so far.
I know I'm at war with elves (even though they haven't attacked me yet).
>>
>feather wood/marble/silver/crystal glass fortress
>no kaolinite
I could have had it all man.
>>
File: 1448420686268.gif (272KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1448420686268.gif
272KB, 250x250px
>my legendary broker spent the entire duration of the caravan's stay singing, dancing and socializing
>>
>>148930705
Moats are supposed to have spikes in them just in case
>>
>>148932793
Given how I've found beastmen often joining civs in adventure mode, it should be possible, right?
>>
So my world creation seems to freeze after it reaches something like 200 years on large maps
Wasn't 64 bit release supposed to fix that by using more RAM if available?
>>
>>148933015
What's a good biome for kaolinite?
>>
File: 1373414059541.jpg (26KB, 500x205px) Image search: [Google]
1373414059541.jpg
26KB, 500x205px
>DF is now 64 bit

They grow up so fast {spoiler]what does it actually do[/spoiler]
>>
>>148934413
nothing obvious to me. stave off fps death a little longer maybe?
>>
Playing as an elephant man wrestler gives me so much joy.
>>
>>148934956
It's certainly fun once you find it, but gets old pretty quickly.
But yeah, imploding goblins with your godfist is pretty exciting.
>>
>>148934413
All it means is it's less likely to crash cause the program is about to use 2gb of ram in worldgen or a big fort/siege. It does nothing for fps
>>
>>148934956
Aren't you pretty much forced to be naked tho?
>>
File: elephantman.jpg (8KB, 73x93px) Image search: [Google]
elephantman.jpg
8KB, 73x93px
>>148935520
Dunno, I've just been a wandering murder hobo so it hasn't occured to me yet I cant equip things.

Just wandered into a burrow and had a long fist fight with 7 dwarves.

Gonna try to find a titan and wrestle it til I die.
>>
File: elephantman.jpg (121KB, 658x342px) Image search: [Google]
elephantman.jpg
121KB, 658x342px
I wonder what the value on an elephant man tusk is.
>>
File: 1444247213884.jpg (154KB, 557x595px) Image search: [Google]
1444247213884.jpg
154KB, 557x595px
>>148865682
Does this mean I can end up with an artifact or whatever single fucking boot?
>>
>>148934413
I had to get so many creatures loaded that the computer ran out of RAM (7.54/8) due to df using 6.3, I have no idea how many there were, but I posted a screenshot where you can see dozens of blinking sense creature class icons.

Game would have flat out crashed the first time I tried to build when it went from 1.3 GB to 3.4 GB in 32 bit, and just laughed at me after the 5.3 GB jump.
>>
>>148936987
I dunno, 5 I think? They make for great crafts.
>>
File: 1468163715499.png (3MB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1468163715499.png
3MB, 1600x1000px
>>148838319
What graphic pack?
>>
>>148939829
Looks like Myne, Haowan, CLA, etc. It's literally the square default font without resizing artifacts.
>>
>>148939105
Yes.
>>
File: 1445470544720.png (80KB, 316x208px) Image search: [Google]
1445470544720.png
80KB, 316x208px
>>148940479
>>
What's the best way to build a wall?

Wall
Fortification
Ramp Wall Wall Moat/Ravine

Or is there another, better way?
>>
File: trump.jpg (41KB, 784x702px) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
41KB, 784x702px
>>148941160
An image should help.
>>
File: curses_24x24.png (6KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
curses_24x24.png
6KB, 384x384px
>>148941160
>not getting Mexico to pay for it
>disappoint son, I am
To keep out climbers:

__ <- floor to keep xbow users in
_# <- fortification etc
[] <- second or higher level
[] <- ground floor, fuck you gobbos
>>
>>148700975

Bone bolts often chip bones, tear organs, etc.
Wood is pretty similar to bone iirc.
Metal bolts are unnecessary.
>>
>>148941802
Soldiers will be wearing full armor more often now, wood and bone bolts won't do jack against even copper armor.
>>
I really like Aban's style.
>>
Useful or not?
Can't imagine bone being a good weapon.
>>
>brown recluse Spiderman webs
Oh God
>>
Can you get Elven migrants?
Can you make them chop down trees?
>>
>>148944412
Well it's better than wood. I think.
>>
>>148944943
Not much.

>>148944729
Yes.

>>148944532
I've got an immature brown recluse in a sealed plastic bag in the junk drawer for easy identification against other harmless species.

It's still alive.
>>
>>148914224
>want to learn the game
That's great anon, it's an amazing game!
>therapist doesnt support the version that came in the pack
oh
>>
So Aquifers have limitless water right?
If I dig a small pool and then break the aquifer, I can, with a bucket, get UNLIMITED water from that pool correct?
>>
>>148945605
ye
>>
>>148945605
You're setting aside the steps where you accidentally flood the fort and everyone drowns, but essentially yes.
>>
>want to build wooden houses on the surface
>realize that if a dragon comes my dorfs are fucked
Marble it is. Also underground tunnels under each house that reach to an underground bunker protected by an artifact door.
>>
>watching the video some anon posted about the future of the magic/myths
>Reading everything Toady says about it

Fuck, this is some serious hyping I haven't got in a long time
Like, when you look at all the things that are gonna be implemented, you can see the game is gonna drastically change to be fucking alive and mysterious
Come on, you are gonna be able to visit your gods in their celestial pantheon in another dimensional plane and talk to them
You might be able to transform into a trawbery tree to feed your companions(when their hunger is implemented) and when they are finished eating and you transform again, you can have a few fingers missing

Its madness, and I don't get how anybody is talking about it
>>
>>148945773
Almost happened, oops.
>>
>>148946309
OH wait it did happen, I shat the bed.
I dug a channel where I thought was safe, but under that were actually bedrooms.
>>
>carefully prepared for embark
>mfw I realize I took a warhammer instead of an axe
>can't cut stuff with training axes anymore
Am I done?
>>
>>148946969
Wait for the autumn caravan, it will bring axes, until then craft as many crafts from rock as you can.
>>
>>148946138
I feel the same senpai
Cant wait for a magical book that gives inmense powers the more you read it at cost of physical and mental decay, shit's gonna be cash
I sincerely hope Toady finally gives us a use for alchemy and the use of body parts and plants for making potions
I can already see it
You will have to use already discovered recipes or mix your own and find useful recipes that are generated procedurally each play
>1 dead rat
>3 elven hairs
>1 ash
>3 gremlin heads for flavor
= a sweet, finely minced mint bocal wash, that gives dwarves good thaughts and a social bonus for making friends

See, it creates itself
>>
File: necromancer.png (271KB, 794x472px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer.png
271KB, 794x472px
>>148947086

Yeah like the sick thing is traveling around and trying to bring your character to new heights of power. Like right now the most OP you can get is like necro vamp husk. But after the magic update you can learn all sorts of abilities and like collect magic rings/stones/etc. that can let you fly, shoot fire, fuck with the physical world and creatures and stuff, etc.
>>
File: WaitWhatSeriously.png (74KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WaitWhatSeriously.png
74KB, 1920x1080px
Oh shit, so I always avoided demanding robbers drop their weapons beccause I didn't want to get known as a brigand by people, I tried it just now though... it's for the best?

>>148946309
>>148946616
Glorious!
>>
>>148946616
Pics please.
>>
>generate new world
>carefully select embark zone
>spend half a hour spending points
>dig slightly off-center entrance
>abandon fortress
>delete world
>quit game
>>
>>148947823
Sorry didn't take a screen before i contained it with walls.
>>
Heyy senpaitachi hit me up with your spiciest /dfg/ memes
>>
>>148948554
2cat
lmao
>>
File: DeeEffGee.gif (837KB, 600x1875px) Image search: [Google]
DeeEffGee.gif
837KB, 600x1875px
>>148948554
>>
File: DeeEffUpdates.png (278KB, 1000x4030px) Image search: [Google]
DeeEffUpdates.png
278KB, 1000x4030px
>>148948906
This reminded me I had the "what have I missed" image saved too.
>>
>>148947487
Exactly, and that's gonna change the game so much.
like, imagine there's a ring that destroys the cap on abilities growth, and you train to superhuman levels of strength and speed just to fight with a corrupt deity , bam, you are guts from berserk
It is really gonna change the gameplay, and I hope he really researches magic and listen to the forums' suggestions on the theme.
I figured that everybody would be talking about the magic/myth update too
>>148947517
I ended up recognicing that opinions from dwarves change a lot, in the image, doto, my companion, first loved me, then after I killed a bandit, she hated me, I gave her a helm and my position as lady from dome fortress and she loved me back. Bitch was hating and spitting and now she likes me? they are crazy
>>
>>148950329
We have talked about it, plus the artifact stuff, and I look forward to playing the R.A. Salvatore sim mode when we can name our own weapons .

I'm just baffled that despite robbing someone in front of them and saying "hey, I just jacked that niggas stuff" they kept to the "it's for the best" position and I never knew they would.

I always disarm bandits manually, grabbing weapons, etc. Being able to tell them "hey asshole, put the axe on the floor and you get to live" is neat.
>>
OK, seriously. What sort of witchcraft is this game powered by? I've been playing for nearly 4 years now, done pretty much everything there is to do, seen everything there is to see, I have better games to play, I have better shit to do and yet every now and then the voice in the back of my head goes "You know what'd be a fun thing to do today? Play Dwarf Fortress until your eyes bleed."

Is this shit normal or have I finally started losing my mind?
>>
File: spongemen.png (538KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
spongemen.png
538KB, 1280x1024px
>>148948554
>>
>>148951291
It's toady's vision, just abandon your will and follow his flow, like we all have done
As the game grows more and more complex and intrincate it will only be harder to leave it, run now that you can
>>
>>148947075
They better do because beds and barrels ain't gonna make themselves
Hope nobody will get too upset from sleeping on the floor
>>
>>148953330
They'll live.
Also use pots until you get barrels numbnuts.
>>
>>148951291
Right now I'm building a camp in the middle of a collapsing glaciercano FOR NO REASON, I don't intend to stay there, it isn't at a near confluence of neighbors, there isn't even anything that interesting about the site...

I
JUST
CAN'T
STOP
>>
>>148953404
>until you get barrels
Pots are lighter and hold more. Dwarven syrup aside, he shouldn't use barrels at all. Numbnuts.
>>
>>148953896
>Pots are lighter
Not really since I use Featherwood.
And excluding that, most stone is about ~2670 density according to wiki, 1/4 of that is 667.5, while Average Wood density is 500.
But if I had Jet or my only woods were high density like Glumprong, yeah I'd go for pots.
>Hold more
I don't think so.
>>
>>148954258
Well, they both hold 60k units max, and there are a few cavern woods where you'll be better off with stone like blood thorns (which if you find a cavern with them, produce fucktons of heavy ass wood) but the main thing is that stone is generally easier to get, a usual embark might have dense forests and three caverns with a good amount of the more productive cavern trees, but there are fucktons of stone between said surface/caverns, and everywhere else except hopefully the sky.

If your sky is full of stone, you may have a serious problem.
>>
Can I search for ressources from DFhack when embarking? Say, I want bituminous coal, magnetite and microline.

>>148939829
It's CLA
>>
>>148957067
prospect all before embark will give pretty good estimates
prospect all after embark will give direct numbers
prospect all with an adventurer will give the same direct numbers without needing a full embark first, which is nice if you're adventuring anyways
>>
>>148957204
I'm aware of prospect all, but I was wondering is there was a way to search the whole map and filter out locations based on results.
>>
>>148944412
Military will not pick those but someone can chop wood with it.
>>
>>148957273
Hmmmm, I have to say there is technically, I could see parts of how you'd write a script to do at least the searching bit, but the whole filter interface and whatnot is beyond my ken.
>>
>>148946969
Dedend where you embarked. If you have shallow metals what can be turned into weapons you can dig some, use logs from wagon to made charcoal use it to melt ore into specific metal and made axe of it.

I did this because I realised to late that LNP profiles are not updated and use training axes, lucky I could get iron very quickly. But CUTWOOD job is fucked in DFHack and I need to micromanage woodcutting.
>>
>>148954258
A featherwood pot will be lighter than a featherwood barrel. They're 1/4 the weight of a barrel of the same material across the board. If you aren't making dearven syrup or mog juice there's no reason to use a barrel instead of a pot.
>>
>>148618179
>>148618252
>>148618397
>>148618493
>>148789240
Top lel
>>
File: 1466237003042.jpg (4KB, 156x141px) Image search: [Google]
1466237003042.jpg
4KB, 156x141px
>>148958671
I actually didn't know you can make wooden pots.
>>
Do crippled dwarves automatically get removed from squad positions or do I have to do it myself?
>>
>>148958794
That is a lel of the toppest kind indeed.

>>148959158
I never thought about it, I usually make like three barrels and then a ton of rock pots.

>>148959782
They will black knight it and crawl around biting people until you tell them to stop it.
>>
>>148959782

What do you think?
>>
I made a very basic DF world; 3 gob civs, 1 attacking derfs, 1 attacking humans, 1 by itself, and 1 human village and 1 abandoned human village, that was swiftly occupied by goblins, and I took it over.

The gameplay of being a minor feudal lord is very embryonic, but right now I'm just trying to gather stuff that'll be helpful for a fortress; specifically, they seem to gather vast quantities of crops, which can be taken to my mead hall.
>>
>>148960395
>>148960307
Well shit
>>
File: inception.jpg (103KB, 1920x138px) Image search: [Google]
inception.jpg
103KB, 1920x138px
Well my dorfs just created a singularity.
Nice knowing you guys.
Also what is this even good for?
>>
>>148962452
Artifacts with pictures of themselves are pretty common. I once had a dwarf make an artifact statue of himself raising up the statue. Next level mindfuckery, there.
As for what you can do with it, same as any other rope. Use it as a restraint or in a well.
>>
File: bitesmear.png (22KB, 1366x80px) Image search: [Google]
bitesmear.png
22KB, 1366x80px
>>148962452
>>148963537
according to the wiki, the original planepacked featured 73 images of itself

but I like it when the ONLY thing drawn on the artifact is an image of itself, though. as if he ran out of materials partway through construction and had to use whatever he'd drawn the blueprint on to finish it
>>
Goblin Siege was 10 Goblin strong.
Easy to deal, my main squad plus 2 makeshift ones beat them with only one newbie solder dwarf dying and some injuries (with one human losing hand).
>>
>>148962452
My first artifact in this fort was obsidian ring with image of this obsidian ring on it.
>>
File: Yo dog.png (28KB, 1904x94px) Image search: [Google]
Yo dog.png
28KB, 1904x94px
>>148962452
>>148963537
>>148964142
>>148964484
Isn't it wonderful?
>>
>>148957346
>Military will not pick those

Why do you say that?
>>
>>148941479
Make the Mountainhomes Great Again.
>>
Can I tunnel Z level below water?
>>
What are the main reasons/advantages to playing with DFhack?
>>
File: i_lied.png (192KB, 461x409px) Image search: [Google]
i_lied.png
192KB, 461x409px
>>148967434
>>
>>148967738
101 reasons but basically, you can prospect embarks, you can use a maphack (virtually necessary to navigate gobbo dark forts and NPC dorf forts), but all sorts of nifty things.
>>
>>148941479
Need dat overhang
>>
>>148946069
Constructed walls and floors don't burn. Maintain paved roads in your fort and occasionally dirt road strips on the rest so the brushfire stays put. Use a macro to ease the pain.
>>
>>148967434
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to?
>>
>>148967434
You mean
>Can I mine the z-level below water?
Or
>Can I mine the z-level below water without flooding my fortress?

It's yes to both, as long as you're certain that it's really _below_ water.
>>
how can I pit an item as soon as it enters a certain stockpile?
>>
So I just set up my first squad and for some reason that I can't figure out they go on a rampage (not all of them). They managed to kill my mayor and like three children. Why does this happen? Are they not happy? One of them is lying on the ground having felt a 'grim satisfaction' from seeing someone die.
>>
>>148971678
You're doing something awesome, but I have no idea what.
>>
>>148971678
>three children

He's cleaning your fort for you.
>>
>>148972160
I'm starting to see signs of a tantrum spiral. So he's not just cleaning my fort, but rather obliterating it
>>
I just had the most horrifying battle I've ever seen -- I was in the midst of a ton of night troll lairs, trying to find a place to quick travel, and one found me, breaking my legs.

Before I could get to safety, the NEXT one came over and broke my arm, so I had to engage in a long, protracted battle where he gouged out one of my eyes. I eventually broke both of his legs, and finally chewed on his neck enough to decapitate him.
>>
what do you do with the fucking childrens
>>
>>148973712
I made an Isolation Cell burrow with some beds and just kept them there until they died, and only ever opened the door to let in another child
>>
>>148676453
implementing magic is going to be the biggest update since the 2 year release i believe.
>>
>>148973712
I heard dropping them into caves is useful.
>>
>>148939197
So the game can handle more stuff stuff now?

I wonder how much "more" entails given toms already had more skellies than you could see well before tress were 3d
>>
>Listen to Durins Song a bunch and get a real hankering for some Dwarf Fortress
>Start playing, settle in a nice area
>Hounded by zombie hoary marmots almost constantly
>They even kill one dwarf
>Realize I forgot how to play because it's been three years

I guess now is the time for fun
>>
>>148970037
Thats what I was asking.
I already flooded my fortress by playing with flow of water, I wanted to be sure if all "damp stone detected" was really dangerous.
>>
>>148974780
fuck, knowing that physically hurted

What kind of ''research'' do you think will be able to make for wizards? In the future development page it is said that sites working as laboratory, library, ritual, summoning, etc. will exist, but what will you be able to do in it?
Hope it'sn just not fur world genning stuff
>>
is it normal that I almost want to go back to playing 40.24 just because I'm scared of learning new shit?
>>
>>148676453
Toady said he wants updates to be spread out in shorter timespans

So expect minor releases every 3-4 months
>>
>>148976080
Perfectly normal.
>>
Does fame not travel between cities or even people in Adventure mode now?

I can kill a Bronze Colossus, and tell the king of one Civ about it, but if I walk into the street and talk to someone, they all act like I'm just still nobody, and the same with other Civs. Do I have to tell everyone I met about all my exploits before it registers?
>>
>>148669496
>tfw dwarf fortress wit never have worlds like this
>>
>>148976478
That IS a DF world
>>
>>148976627
no, df cant make lakes like that it can only make oceans
>>
File: 1468521853937.jpg (817KB, 2124x2107px) Image search: [Google]
1468521853937.jpg
817KB, 2124x2107px
>>148976704
Every fucking time.

No, it is a DF map. It was a cartographer's guild challenged where people should fire DF, generate a map and do it.
>>
>>148976704
>df can't make lakes
is this bait?
>>
>>148977112
Not him.
That's a really cool idea.
>>
File: 1451465951345.png (31KB, 520x780px) Image search: [Google]
1451465951345.png
31KB, 520x780px
>>148977476
https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=22798

>>148976704
Here's the original DF map dumbass.
>>
>>148976465

Fame is per entity.
>>
>>148977786
That's annoying then, considering I have to travel a lot to get to a lair or site.

I kind of really miss the old way quests and stuff would work. Makes it way harder to amass a large following of guys.
>>
ok ladies, how do we fix aquifers?
>>
File: InterestingWorldSettings.png (1001KB, 4128x6192px) Image search: [Google]
InterestingWorldSettings.png
1001KB, 4128x6192px
>>148975421
It'll give Toady more room to work with, eventually enable larger worlds and world-gen sites, all sorts of shit.

>>148976465
Fame spreads but at word of mouth pace, so it takes time to get around.

>>148976704
Plus, as others mentioned above, that is an ocean, it just has ice blocking part of it so they interpreted it as a lake on the mapmaking site.

>>148978020
Technically poetry and dancing and stuff makes it way easier because you can massive hordes of entertainers if you're good enough (hint: dancing and combat attribute overlap is huge) and you can do stuff like tell stories about impressive shit you've done in a market or tavern and the fame from that spreads properly.
>>
>>148978851
>implying they need fixing
>>
>>148976704
wait what? I can't remember any of my old maps well enough to contradict but i'm pretty sure that's bs
>>
>>148979258
it's actually not possible to make lakes then?

I guess we can make great lakes, building sized ponds, No bodies of water the side of a square?
>>
File: 1466962251907.png (30KB, 403x379px) Image search: [Google]
1466962251907.png
30KB, 403x379px
>>148979258
>as others mentioned above, that is an ocean, it just has ice blocking part
No, it's a lake.
It has land surrounding it, we just can't see below the ice wall but there's tundra and terrain closing almost everything.
You literally have no proof that's not a lake.
>>
>>148976080
´>Normal
maybe
>Correct
Given the ever growing nature of the game, no?
>>
>>148979561
>it's actually not possible to make lakes then?
Yes, it is. He's just talking out of his ass after being proven wrong that map is indeed a DF map
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Lake
>>
>>148978851
DFhacks drain-aquifer

Yes, I know, I'm a filthy casual, but dealing with them is such a big pain in the ass that I'd rather be without.
>>
>>148980278
so the Atlantic ocean is a lake?

fuck off retard
>>
>>148977112
>dat The Massive Oceans
>>
>>148978851
make them pockets of underground water instead of underground oceans
>>
>>148980278
Uh, I was saying that the map was a df map, and if anything in df terms it would be a sea. A lake on the map at that scale is a blue ~ like the three on the part of the map you showed, to the north and west-northwest.

>>148980435
They were responding to someone else, just so ya know, I wasn't the one denying it was a df map.
>>
>>148980278
It's not a lake. Lake tiles are represented on the world map as a single ~. Ocean tiles, like the ones circled in your picture, are a double ~.
>>
Can I store seeds in wood pots?
>>
is there a mod that adds millions of diffrent fish, bugs and animals to the
>>
DF lakes are more like inland seas/great lakes
>>
>>148976478
> and on down the reply chain

> these casuals and their fucking stupid arguement

look at the fucking wiki, or play the game more. realize that:
fresh water uses single tilde ~ in light blue
salt water uses double tilde in dark blue
fresh water lakes can be very large, if they are mountain-top valley lakes
glacial areas seperated from the main body of the glacier is not cause by melting, but by fixed temperature variation on the map

now shut the fuck up all of you
>>
>>148981679
game
>>
File: 6211961b54ab0d2bba145287b474952c.gif (1021KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
6211961b54ab0d2bba145287b474952c.gif
1021KB, 500x335px
>>148981679
TO THE WHAT????
>>
If I build a floor over a up/down stair, will it prevent shit from the cavern to enter my fort? How about building destroyers?
>>
why cant we have lakes on mountains like volcanos but water
>>
why cant we have lakes in deserts
>>
why can't we have desserts in lakes
>>
File: wall plans.png (83KB, 992x784px) Image search: [Google]
wall plans.png
83KB, 992x784px
How is this for an courtyard or whatever?
Too big? Too small? Any suggestions or tweaks?
>>
>>148982008
Yes, yes. They're _building_ destroyers, not construction destroyers.

>>148982221
>>148982276
Why can't we have decent posts in /dfg/?
>>
why cant we build on the moon
>>
>>148982008
From what I remember, a hatch is actually good for that if you lock it. Because building destroyers can't destroy the tile above them.
>>
>>148982416
Funposting aside, Do you think moon-traveling will be possible in the future, as in traveling through planes?
>>
>>148982380
>>148982514
Nice, thanks.

Two blind cave ogres just entered my fort. I'm 99,9% sure they couldn't get in unless they could fly through the single tile up/down stairs that connected the caverns.
>>
>>148982726
im being serious about the oasises and geysers/water volcanos
>>
>>148982728
>fly
Climb?
>>
>>148981770
Salt water lakes and brackish lakes also use a single ~.
>>
>>148982793
I don't know man, toady has natural disasters planned but he hasn't said a thing about that
>>
Can this lake argument end when we look at how it started.

The guy said a map that looks like
>>148669496
Is not a Dwarf fortress map because "Lakes like that" can't exist.

The argument wasn't about whether or not they're saltwater, how the tile looks in ASCII. But that the shapes that look like a lake, like in the map, doesn't exist.

But it can, it definitely can.
>>
lakes
>>
>>148983816
>Watery bints shitting out posts is no way to bump a thread.
>>
>>148983816
is this a new meem
>>
File: out(1).webm (328KB, 2016x1228px) Image search: [Google]
out(1).webm
328KB, 2016x1228px
>>148982928
How could anything possibly come from this?
>>
>>148984137
Sure that's the only entrance?
>>
>>148984137
It climbed up the wall that's adjacent to the upper-left stairway.
>>
Ettin showed up , first time I see one.
And appeared when human caravan is here too.
>>
File: kiddiefiddler.png (600KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kiddiefiddler.png
600KB, 1920x1080px
>Captain of the Guard is sleeping with multiple children that aren't his
>>
>>148975767
i dont think we're going to go without updates for two years or anything like that. according to toady magic is going to be magical
>>
>>148988550
can dwarves adopt?
>>
>>148988550
Oh dear, that's awkward.
>>
>>148989652
>magic is going to be magical
that strangely calmed me anon, thanks

I mean, this game is easily the best game I have ever played, it's fucking glorious and very well thought in a lot of different ways
It's a fantasy/realistic simulator, so magic/mythology would be one of the biggest pilars of the game.
I know Toady has a perfect vision and doesn't suffer the problems most devs suffer when making a game, but you forget it sometimes
>>
I wonder how the first few versions of DF played
>>
>>148990632
You know you can still download all the public releases, right?
>>
>>148991117
The point is that he doesn't want to play them, he wants us to tell him.
>>
>>148990632
like ass I suppose
>>148990532
calm your tits buddy, you just trust the frog and everything will be alright
hehehe
>>
>>148988550
>>148989761
>He dreams of raping a family.
>RAISING
>I meant raising. Really.
>>
when is next update?
>>
>>148991392
>one year later
>>serves him right he trusted a toad
>>
File: 1452026026940.jpg (45KB, 512x397px) Image search: [Google]
1452026026940.jpg
45KB, 512x397px
>spend an hour designing pretty fortress with my terrible skills
>built water channel on top of some digging spots without realizing it
>damp stone located
>pretty fort ruined completely

every fucking time

I always fuck something up
>>
>>148992297
At least several months from now.
>>
>>148992675
so tomorrow at 10 pm?
>>
>>148992640
You can still mine damp stone, you just need to redesignate it after they cancel.
>>
how do you remove aquafires fucking bullshit why do they even exsit?
>>
>>148978851
Track its water volume regionally.
>>
>>148994014
Remove all [AQUIFER] tags from the inorganic_stone_*.txt files, and generate a new world. You might be able to keep the same one if you edit the raws in the save file the same way, but I've never tried to do that.
>>
>>148981584
no. They're stored in bags that are stored in pots/barrels.

>>148994014
Read the wiki and do them over and over until you get the fuck over it. They're easy.
>>
File: tavern[1].png (1016KB, 1600x640px) Image search: [Google]
tavern[1].png
1016KB, 1600x640px
>>148809783
I love that artist's work.
>>
Haven't played since the early days of .40, I have some questions:

>are libraries, taverns and temples anything more than dig a few squares and forget about it?
>do dwarves get pissy about their needs and crumble down your forts because they can't eat their favorite food which happens to be elephant liver or some random shit?
>do dwarves still get depressed if they show up to your fort without their entire family?
>zombies/thralls still invincible or not worth fighting 99% of the time?
>was the no siege ever happening issue fixed?
>do dwarves get stuck in trees and die because they can't climb down?
>is sparring still 50 times faster than other training methods that don't involve danger rooms or live combat?
>and most important of all, is FPS still god awful compared to .34? I'd get 150FPS in .34 with a 250 dwarf fort and a ton of animals on a 4x4 embark but in .40 I'd get 30 FPS with 60 dwarves and no animals
>>
>>148994579
i fucking do it but i never works my dwarves die before i can get everythign working and the water keeps coming
>>
>>148994579
It's also easy to embark with nothing but a copper nugget and an anvil, but it's still a boring waste of time
>>
>>148994925
thats all you need, also that sounds like a really interesting start, im going to try that
>>
>>148994680
>are libraries, taverns and temples anything more than dig a few squares and forget about it?
Actually, ye, thought the artifact stuff toady posted a couple of days ago involved more temple stuff
>do dwarves get pissy about their needs and crumble down your forts because they can't eat their favorite food which happens to be elephant liver or some random shit?
>do dwarves still get depressed if they show up to your fort without their entire family?

For now, until the effects of inebriation are balanced, dwarves are pretty happy all the time

>zombies/thralls still invincible or not worth fighting 99% of the time?

Nope, balanced

>was the no siege ever happening issue fixed?

Yep, pretty fixed

>do dwarves get stuck in trees and die because they can't climb down?

Well, they are dwarves after all...

>is sparring still 50 times faster than other training methods that don't involve danger rooms or live combat?

Ye, but still worth to use the other ways

>and most important of all, is FPS still god awful compared to .34? I'd get 150FPS in .34 with a 250 dwarf fort and a ton of animals on a 4x4 embark but in .40 I'd get 30 FPS with 60 dwarves and no animals

Read up the translation to 64-bits support. Some say it's great, but the consensum is that it only has a modest effect on gameplay.
It allows more ram thou
>>
>>148990532
>>148991392
>>148992510
How do you think magical professions will be handled, like scholars/scribes, or like miners and crafters?
>>
>>148994646
We call them Ninedots cause they use the name ......... on bay12.

>>148994680
Need to assign performers/set up furniture/supply writing materials/scholars/tavern keepers/booze/and so forth
They have needs but they're all too buzzed from booze to get bitchy, but they do get less effective with lots of unmet needs, there's a significant combat and skill performance bonus/malus in place.
No "misses family" was a bug, they have a similar thought but don't sit there moping about it all the time.
Zombies are smashable now.
Sieges happen.
Dwarves get stuck in trees because trees are evil.
Sparring and such works fine.
As for fps it depends what you're doing, but 64 bit does help push fps death back some more in older forts and such.
>>
>>148996050
Mostly scholars/scribes type stuff, but I expect there will be a range of different ways they are dealt with in fort mode vs adventure mode.
>>
>>148995546
It's not interesting because in 2 minutes you're right back to where you would be if you just picked "embark now".
>>
>>148997550
youre just upset i found a cool new way of playing the game
>>
>>148996462
Would you like to explain?
>>
Which medical skills only affect the labor time and which ones actually result in better results?
>>
>>149001021
All of them only only affect how long a job takes. Faster performance can lead to better results though. If Catten the miller takes a week to determine your champion needs sutures in a gaping chest wound and then another week stitching him up, he could die in the interim.
>>
>>149001021
although>>149001532 is right
surgeon and bone setting results
other just time
>>
File: start.jpg (75KB, 1916x1009px) Image search: [Google]
start.jpg
75KB, 1916x1009px
H-hey guys...
How do I start the game? I try and create worlds and it just returns me to the title menu after completion.
>>
File: received_636504163177435.jpg (35KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
received_636504163177435.jpg
35KB, 720x1280px
>be me
>No easy quests to do
>Spend 20 minutes walking to goblin fort
>Night time
>Sleeping goblins everywhere
>Decapitate all of them

Anyone else do this?
>>
>>149001708
Whoever wrote the wiki articles says that suturer skill affects chance of infection and that bone doctor and surgeon both have some perks beyond labor speed

I'm not sure if that is just conjecture on the author's part though
>>
>>149002037
I've bashed some bandits' heads in while they were sleeping
>>
>>149002037
I did this. Then a thralling mist came and I didn't want to become a thrall. That was fun.
Wish I could peek out of doors.
>>
File: 145688722784.jpg (930KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
145688722784.jpg
930KB, 750x1000px
Outhouses, latrines, and plumbing when. I want sewage pipes leading to a river so I can give those knife-eared fucks something to really cry about.
>>
>>148998418
Toady is the toadman, he'll set up some shit where dorfs get really fucking happy and when there are enough dorfs present they generate some sort of healing field that makes your crippled dorfs start to regain the ability to walk over time, or there will be certain types of magic in that world where dorfs can use it to brew booze on demand of any type desired, but it kills them bit by bit, or there will be magical song and dance which you can play during a siege that forces enemies to join in the dancing just like anybody else that hears the song... but you used a magical artifact you bought to make your soldiers deaf so they wade into the party and slaughter your foes.
>>
>>149002657
never m8, if you want shit, go to /v/ for a while
>>149002747
how exactly do you think gods will behave?, realistically talking, their omnipotent nature must difference them from dwarves, but how?
also
>Toady a Toadman
jesus
>>
>>149002021
Normally after you create a world there's a start playing option. Your worlds might not be generating properly. Look in the data>saves folder and see if there is a region1 folder.
I have never heard of this happening before
>>
File: generated.jpg (22KB, 503x194px) Image search: [Google]
generated.jpg
22KB, 503x194px
>>149003298
Guess I'm fugged. :D
>>
>>149002116
It's wrong about bone doctor and surgeon. A dwarf who takes either task will always succeed at it no matter their skill, and the result of either treatment are dependant entirely on the nature of the injury. After being treated, if an injury is recoverable the dwarf will recover and if it isn't, they won't. There's not a middle ground for variability in results.
I've never noticed any difference in infection rates regarding the skill of the suturer. It's testable, but the science would be such a massive undertaking that I won't believe that someone has actually done it until I see it myself. Unless Toady has said somewhere that suturing (or either of the other skills) can have variable results, the I'm going to assume that the author(s) of those articles was irresponsibly speculating. And full of shit.
>>
File: 1468089624288.webm (414KB, 310x464px) Image search: [Google]
1468089624288.webm
414KB, 310x464px
>>149003298
>>149003645
Just noticed I had zero disk space--steam game updates caught me unaware.
Guess the 'offloading units...' part never finished properly at the end.
Now I can play !
>>
>>149003645
Welp.
Are you playing vanilla, or LNP or something?
Maybe put DF in a different folder, or even on a different dive, or maybe try running it as administrator.
I have no idea man. The game has it's "outstanding issues," but normally there are no installation problems.
>>
>>149003719
I see, that's very plausible. I wish there wasn't so much "lost" knowledge that can only be speculated at without looking at Toady's code.
>>
>>149004424
>>149004428
Great! I would have been sad to see someone get discouraged from the game over something like that.
>>
>>149004617
Well, someone could always ask the Toad about it in a FotF. He's usually pretty forthcoming with mechanical specifics when asked directly.
>>
>>149003119
I see them being a lot pettier than omnipotent, I know, I've been a god in game before, it's weird because anybody you talk to starts to worship you.

>ask about somebody
>choose yourself
>tfw they say they worship you

The creator deities will probably remain distant until the full world-gen stuff is in, but at some point being able to make your god happy/anger them in a fashion akin to the needs system seems plausible.

>you're a worshipper of a god of fire
>when you please them by burning parts of your slain enemies you become immune to fire
>when you slack off it fades
>after a while you start to catch things around you on fire
>then you start to catch on fire directly if you piss them off badly enough
>>
>>149006715
yeah, the thing with that is repercusion of your acts acording to the god, something pretty big for generating stories.
Imagine this, a minor god in the pantheon will be happy with minor offers like you said, because he only has interest in his limited sphere, fire.
But a god of families, power, birth and life could probably try to rule the world and get seriously offended if you kill a baby next to his mother, because you are atacking things relevant to his spheres.
Using his power, if he has direct power from you
(I don't know how that will be handled, maybe faith as personal servitude towards a god? maybe certain gods for certain areas or elements relevant to its spheres?) he'll simply kill you instantly. If he can't do it directly, he will do everything he can to kill you. In this case, as he is a god of power, he could send whole armies after you, etc.
Thats why fucking with a god is bad, and thats when they become truly beings to think of when doing an important action, like in real life
>>
>>149006715
>I see them being a lot pettier than omnipotent
I think this is likely. There will be some variability I would hope, with distant and incorporeal deities that are more idea than thing, but I expect the majority of divine personages to be greek/roman style. Lots of arbitrary supernatural power, but at the end of the day they're all just dudes and chicks getting on about the business of being dudes and chicks, with very mundane day to day concerns. Feasting, fucking, fighting. Petty grievances and baby-mama-drama. Betting on their favorite teams (nations/tribes/heros) and trying to rig the game when they get the chance. Those are the kinds of gods that would really flesh out adventure mode.
>>
Are there any other single player games as big as Dwarf Fortress?
>>
>>149007398
We obviously don't know yet how the new systems will affect the number and variety of deities in a world. But if it's anywhere close to the god count we're getting now, then there will be a shitload of them in most worlds, and probably more than one to cover each sphere. If you risk catching the smiting of a pissed off god of life every time you kill something then adventure mode, and probably fort mode as well, is going to become a lot less fun.
>>
>>149008357
>implying he would make stuff less fun
>>
New embark
>playing on a toaster
>let clothes rot and trade away for more fps
>lots of gold and silver
>all of the civilians are running around wearing bling but no clothes
>>
Does 2D make graphics and menus bigger than TWBT? It seems like 2D makes the tab menus in fort mode take up way too much screen space
>>
File: low kettle with bevor.jpg (88KB, 800x1398px) Image search: [Google]
low kettle with bevor.jpg
88KB, 800x1398px
Help, my miners are being retarded and decided that hauling random is more important than mining out my fortress.

What do
>>
>>149011997
Turn off hauling.
>>
>>149012202
I never had them get stuck hauling logs like that before, didn't expect the fix to be so simple.
>>
>>149012306
Dorfs can be finicky, and their priorities can change like that.
>>
>>149011997
set the designation priority to 1 - 3, that usually makes them ignore other things.
>>
>>148982328
That's a decent size, but
>letting your dwarves go outside ever
>>
>>149014261
They'll have to go outside eventually, Urist.
>>
i want to make an ice fortress how do i keep my dwarves warm when they go outside?
>>
>>149015549
>starts with m
>rhymes with "fagma"
>>
>trying to make a cistern that would feed into a couple of wells 'round the fortress
>do not understand how to kill pressure at all
I am reading the wiki, before anyone points me there, but I am deathly afraid of flooding my fort.
To make matters more complicated I want to also build the wells with escape paths in case of an unfortunate accident.
>>
>>149015961
no i mean outside not underground
>>
>>149016173
Don't worry about it, there is literally nothing that can go wrong, just go for it, let the fort flow through you.
>>
>>149016613
If the dorfs aren't near the magma, bring the magma to the dorfs?
>>
File: water.png (4KB, 195x134px) Image search: [Google]
water.png
4KB, 195x134px
>>149016173
make the water move along a diagonal at the lowest level (ie. where you don't want pressure)

yes, it's an exploit; no, it shouldn't work that way
but it sure makes things simpler
>>
>>149016817
but that might melt the ice
>>
File: 18pemaxs61q4sjpg.jpg (195KB, 711x840px) Image search: [Google]
18pemaxs61q4sjpg.jpg
195KB, 711x840px
If Toady made a weapon/armor of your choosing part of vanilla, what would it be?

Visored Sallet/Bevors would be my vote.
>>
>>149016879
So if I understand this correctly, doing this will cause the water to not fill vertically above the z-level with the diagonal entrance and out my well top, right?
>>
>>149016989
That's how you know it's working.

>>149017264
Literally just rename helms.

>>149017418
Yes.
>>
>>149017418
right. the water drops about 6 z-levels on its way down to the long narrow passage in that pic, and there's a hospital well directly above the rectangular chamber there, but because it goes through a diagonal tile it doesn't shoot upward.

>>149017264
spiked gauntlets or brass knuckles or something, for all the times militia dwarves decide that punching or scratching is their highest % attack and ignore their weapons
>>
>>149017663
but they are going to live on the ice
>>
>>149017784
Then they aren't going to be warm.
>>
>>149017663
>>149017767
Alright, thanks for the help, Urists. I think I can figure it out from here.
>>
>>149017784
just breed enough dragons for everyone to be assigned one, that'll keep them warm. simple
>>
>>149018364
Well naturally this is the best option if you have dragons available.
>>
>>149017663
>Literally just rename helms.

Pretty sure the point is helms that protect more of the face.
>>
>>149018924
Helms are the only headgear that have 100% coverage, but no headgear at all covers any facial features. Not even masks or veils. It's a weird quirk with how body parts and armor coverage works.
>>
I have a buddy who deigned to critique the way I play the game, but when he sent screenshots of his fortress, it was literally a WOODEN FORTRESS.

He wasn't even ten z-levels underground. Oh, how I laughed. How can a wood fort nigger be so delusional? Why does the wood fort nigger strive?
>>
>>149019234
Yes, pretty sure that was the point. Presumably it is theoretically within Toady's power to one day make armor that can cover the face.
>>
>>149019723
What do you mean wooden fortress? He made walls out of wood? Sounds like a pain in the ass to do
>>
File: bevor.jpg (21KB, 347x362px) Image search: [Google]
bevor.jpg
21KB, 347x362px
>>149019234
Sallets w/visors protect the head, back of the neck, and half of the face.

Bevors cover the rest of the face and the throat/front of the neck.

Sort of like how armets often had wrapper plates to reinforce the lower part/cover some of hte neck.

The generically named "helmets" in game offer full head coverage, like a full bascinet/armet or great helm.
>>
>>149022106
I know you were desperate for somebody to give you an opportunity to tell us all about your wikipedia knowledge of armor, but the post you replied to is referring to the fact that no headgear in the game of any sort protects facial features like noses or lips, due to the way that the armor coverage and body part attachment system works. It is not in fact asking about what parts of the body various types of helms were designed to cover.
>>
>>149022329
>tfw you want to use adamantine clothing for a super dorf but rot, civs stealing it, and so little of adamantine ruins it
>>
>Elf Siege
what the fuck, I did nothing! this is the first time I've been able to generate a world with a significant history (770 years), are politics a lot less predictable once they've been allowed to run amok for a few centuries? I've had a goblin liaison and now this.
>>
File: FuckYouCaveToad.png (69KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FuckYouCaveToad.png
69KB, 1920x1080px
>>149022961
Yeah, the settings I've been using end up in regular elf sieges of the dorf civs I'm in/near.

>>149021896
Easier with adventurer mode camp construction I think, but I don't make sites up on the surface, my shit is down under a volcano in the caverns yo!
>>
>>149022961
something like that. it's not uncommon for a dwarf civ to end up at war with an elf civ.
it's also pretty common for a dwarf civ to get taken over by goblins hit [c] and see if your monarch is a goblin too
>>
File: generic siege.png (21KB, 1020x136px) Image search: [Google]
generic siege.png
21KB, 1020x136px
>>149023205
>>149023342

I was wrong, it's an elf crossbowman, who I guess is just hanging out? with a human necromancer. I don't know what kind of siege this is, so far it's just the elf, the necro, his crundle parts, and my dead dogs from the last embark. my former recruits will be joining him soon.
>>
Every time I'm away from my fort for a few days I come back and have to spend an hour figuring out what the hell I was doing.
And I always miss something.
>>
>>149023342
the queen and a number of barons are indeed gobbos.
>>
>>149023535
>my dead dogs from the last embark
Oh god I know that feel bro.

>>149023648
Hah, I know that feel too.

"What the fuck was I doing here... maybe... no, that can't be right... hmmm."
>>
>>149023648
Though I take encouragement from seeing well-laid plans coming to fruition. However slowly.
>>
If I rout a river through my fort, will it carry fish?
>>
>>149024437
Looks like you don't have a pump at the source to feed the magmaduct, so you'll never achieve a useful flow into the caverns. Good idea though.
>>
>>149024590
I think so? It may need to be orthogonally connected to carry stock

You can bucket irrigate a pool and get pool vermin though. It's legit
>>
File: landscaping the clifftop.png (235KB, 1913x1043px) Image search: [Google]
landscaping the clifftop.png
235KB, 1913x1043px
>>149024437
And then I remember that I have 63z worth of pumps left to build on my pumpstack and get discouraged all over again.
>>
>>149024830
Turn on your jams and slam it out.
>>
File: under pressure.png (244KB, 1913x1054px) Image search: [Google]
under pressure.png
244KB, 1913x1054px
>>149024606
I do. It's 8z higher, and has a lot of other space to fill. The plumbing on >>149024437 is actually fed from 2 different points, one on the same z level that flows naturally and one from below that links to the pressurized magma reservoir. Once pic related is done filling, probably this season, the pipes will fill a good deal faster and have a decent bit of pressure behind them. Ultimately I'll link up the upper reservoirs and have ~90z of pressure pushed into it. After I finish the piston. Someday.
>>
>>149024695
I just realized that it'll also carry alligators straight into my fort so it's probably not the best idea ever unless there's some way to make it safe
>>
>>149025527
Grates, fortifications, and a windmill powered pump with a levered double gear linkage
>>
>>149024947
Well, that's the real nut ache about a pump stack. You can only build two of the pumps at a time. If you just let all of them go then dwarves will construct them in the wrong order, and completed pumps will be left hanging without another machine to support them and deconstruct immediately. So you build anchor machines on the top and bottom, set the whole stack to be built, suspend all but the top and bottom pumps, and then unsuspend from the top and bottom as each pump gets built. Eventually they meet in the middle. It's real micromanagey and slow, but one must do what one must do to have a proper water tower.
>>
File: ranthepumpsforafewseconds.png (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ranthepumpsforafewseconds.png
214KB, 1920x1080px
>>149025787
Do the designation from the bottom up, suspend, then unsuspend bottom down, fluid movement is calculated based on construction time, oldest goes first, makes the liquid shoot up the stack.
>>
>>149025787
If you don't care about the build order (which you clearly don't) just put a horizontal axle on every z level and you can designate as many pumps as you like.
>>
File: talk about prime ribs.jpg (288KB, 407x611px) Image search: [Google]
talk about prime ribs.jpg
288KB, 407x611px
>>149022329
I wasn't trying to answer a question, I simply thought he felt that they were redundant.

Obviously the way injuries/armor works currently wouldn't make a big difference, but that is beside the point. You rude ass.
>>
>>149026991
I know the quirk, but doubling my construction time to save less than 100 ticks on the time it takes the reservoir to start filling isn't worth it to me.

>>149027326
We've got too much going on to shut down half the fort's work for a season or two to build axles and then shut down again to deconstruct them all again and remove the logs after the stack is built. The round trip for each job would probably approach 800 tiles, which is fine when you're talking about two dwarves at a time, but fucking insanity when the number gets in the dozens. Just the thought of all the give water jobs makes my skin crawl.
>>
text will be text is working with the latest version?
>>
>>149028872
No dfhack means no twbt.
>>
>>149028456
Use carts and stockpile links
>>
>>149028872
>using text will be text
>>
you guys using the dwarf therapist? or its a pleb thing to do
>>
>>149022106
>The generically named "helmets" in game offer full head coverage,

They're more like a skullcap, they absolutely do not offer full head coverage.
>>
>TFW gold and gems are abundant but not a bit of weapons-grade ore has been discovered yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw
>>
>>149028391
>I simply thought he felt that they were redundant.

Not him. Currently the game has literally nothing remotely like a great helm though, or anything that gives anywhere near close to full head coverage.
>>
>>149029454
They literally have 100% coverage but due the way body parts work they don't protect eyes, nose, ears and lips apparently
It doesn't matter much because eyes are basically indestructible as far as I know so hitting any of these parts will only cause pain and minor bleeding
>>
>>149029619
>They literally have 100% coverage

They have maybe 60% coverage, at best they're about like construction worker hats etc.

>eyes are basically indestructible

Er... no? I just had someone get their eye popped by a punch yesterday (wasn't clear on what the exact move was but it 100% wasn't a wrestling one).

>only cause pain and minor bleeding

Well they can tear out your eyes, tongue, nose, ears, and teeth, absolutely.

Now EYELIDS are bizarrely durable, don't understand why.

So yeah, there's nothing unreasonable about the guy suggesting we incorporate... full coverage helmets, since there is nothing even remotely close to it. Unless your point is just that they are probably intended to cover sensory organs but don't.
>>
>>149029414
It's amazing for reassignment or creating berserker squads. I get by fine regardless.

>>149029565
Best feeling. DF is so much better when you have to appreciate what you have.
>>
If helms offer so little, as if they were like fucked up barbutes/kettles or some shit what the fuck are caps supposed to be? Extra-shitty spangenhelm???
>>
>>149030017
Helms with even worse coverage. They're just melt bait. Wont see me hating an extra 3.7 metal a year.
>>
>>149029169
That's not a solution. If there was even a halfway reasonable place to build a track (there isn't) it wouldn't shave 100 tiles off the travel distance. And even that would just be moved to wood hauling jobs. Minecarts aren't a magical "make everyone work faster" button. The proximity of wood isn't the bottleneck here.
>>
>>149030017
I'd personally like to omit items that solely exist to be retarded inferior versions of other gear and just have them be lower quality versions.
>>
>>149030198
Put a start, a stop, drop track stops and tell them guide. they'll haul a couple a go. You can also just do a drop shaft with a hatch at the bottom and burrow pump teams to keep them close to that
>>
sadly minecraft is more impressive then dwarf fortress because of one thing, redstone and mods
>>
>cant make a minecart ride to hell for my prisoners

why even life?
>>
File: Henry II On Parade.jpg (295KB, 800x1203px) Image search: [Google]
Henry II On Parade.jpg
295KB, 800x1203px
>>149029940
Once I get my smelting industry running (haven't found much fuel so charcoal/eventual magma are my only options) I'll be able to buy an entire armory so it won't be too bad.

Maybe I'll make instruments and random shit in the fort out of gold. Import a ton of sand and make a surface portion out of glass walls.
>>
>>149030017
>helms offer so little
They don't. Helms intervene between the head and the thing trying to squish it 100% of the time. It's easily the most important armor piece. It just doesn't protect facial features.
>>
how do you reach mid game? i always die before early game is over?
>>
>>149030257
That's why I went on about having a variety of helmets/multi-part helmets with varying degrees of coverage/thickness but given how weird DF armor is currently such a thing seeing proper implementation is probably only going to happen during an eventual combat overhaul.
>>
>>149030198
If you're unwilling to accept solutions, stop bitching to us about your problems.
>>
>>149030512
From what? It's retard proof unless you're throwing yourself at zombies in an evil biome
>>
>>149030291
Did you even read the post you're responding to?
>>
I'm looking forward to Toady revisiting night creatures. Maybe some more fortress threats.

Do night trolls come to forts to attack them at all? That'd be a lot scarier than a snatcher, a night troll coming in with looking to make off with a random dwarf to murder/kidnap and use to make more night trolls.
>>
>>149030665
Did you? He doesn't need to carve a whole track and it consolidates the jobs.

>>149030817
Nope. only kind of as part of another civ's attack because they joined it in the past.
>>
>>149030626
It's not a solution, I don't have a problem, and I didn't solicit advice. I posted about my fortress in dwarf fortress general because that's what dwarf fortress general is for. I have no obligation to be gracious when some idiot tells me to build a pointless minecart track in my pumpstack.
>>
>>149030975
>I don't want to finish my pump stack because I can only designate two pumps at a time
>build axles then designate them all at once
>perish the thought! my dwarfs would be so busy!
fuck off
>>
File: plumbata.png (189KB, 828x828px) Image search: [Google]
plumbata.png
189KB, 828x828px
When Toady adds dedicated throwing weapons, what do you expect? Javelins of course, but do you think axes, shurikens, boomerangs, or darts will end up in the game? What sorts of race/civ limitations do you expect?
>>
>>149031621
Blowguns are already in the game so darts are implied.
>>
>>149031067
>I don't want to finish my pump stack because...
I didn't say anything like that.
>build axles then...
Is a bad idea for reasons I politely outlined.
>my dwarfs would be so busy
My dwarves are already busy. They have never not been busy, and they will never be not busy. The pump stack is just a tiny portion of my fort.
>>
File: plumbatae -thrown.jpg (110KB, 979x500px) Image search: [Google]
plumbatae -thrown.jpg
110KB, 979x500px
>>149031696
I meant large throwing darts like the ones in that pic and this one
>>
>>149030294

Its a cringy autism blocks game pretending to be anything comparable to the most in depth simulation game of all time.
>>
>>149030572
It would not require a combat revamp at all, it would only require a minor tweaking of coverage rules.

>>149030817
The local goblins are in a continuous war againts night creatures in my area, I'm curious as to whether I will still see them crossing into my fort -- since in advmode I see them going to and fro 24/7.
>>
>>149031948
I guess you're right, and Toady has been throwing in minor balance fixes/combat tweaks into his regular updates lately. Maybe someday soon, if it catches his attention.
>>
>>149030294
This is a troll. A lot of impressive shit has been done using DF physics and DF has countless mods ranging from tweaks, new creatures/races, to magic systems and combat/fortress playstyle overhauls
>>
>>149030903
Night trolls don't join civs and don't participate in attacks. The only way they can appear in fort mode is by embarking one of their lairs.
>>
>>149032046
Also, I would argue that the recent afterthought of hits sending shockwaves through the body is something like 1000x as complicated, at least, compared to just making it so people can freeform mod in armor coverage (inuit anti snow goggles anyone?) or more closely associate a body part with what its attached to.
>>
>>149029873
>They have maybe 60% coverage
No they don't, they have 100% coverage for all attacks aimed at the head itself. Feel free to check raws. Facial features are currently placed over the head so helm doesn't protect them
>eye popped
Eyes are literally indestructible as of now, they can be damaged but not lost
>>
>>149034552
Migrate.
>>149034552
>>
inb4 "cloth armor exists in mod form" Any idea if Toady intends to include gambesons etc.?
>>
>>148978851
They'd be fine if they spat out 2/7 tiles of water instead of the fucking firehose they are now.
Thread posts: 774
Thread images: 125

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.