[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/evn/- Focus on work, not boobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 769
Thread images: 59

File: ex8eemZ.png (389KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
ex8eemZ.png
389KB, 630x354px
Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
http://pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
https://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
http://pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
http://meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

>Ren'Py Download:
http://www.renpy.org/

Last thread: >>145735089
>>
>>146047816
So what happened to exogenesis again?
>>
where the sounds at
>>
>>146050352
Is this fabled synchronicity at work? I was just reading http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/116
>>
>>146051227
>This site
Well, that was surprisingly helpful.
>>
mmm the smell of a dead general
>>
>>146047816
what vn is that
>>
>>146048667
dev found out he has diabeetus and got really upset
>>
File: storydevs_searchable_options.png (14KB, 490x362px) Image search: [Google]
storydevs_searchable_options.png
14KB, 490x362px
Been working on searchable drop-down menus past couple of days. Some lists are pretty long (I think there's something like 150-ish currency options) so I figured it was worth doing. Went with a custom implementation because Safari doesn't support autocomplete atm. At least this means I can style them nicely.

You can test them live here (if you toggle "programming" there's a couple more): https://beta.storydevs.com/talent

The search options are a little buggy atm so if you just want to see how the search will function leave the options as their defaults. (I've mostly been working on performance tweaks + account stuff so this is largely similar to how it was.)

As before, use https://www.storydevs.com/reserve if you wanna reserve a profile handle and https://www.storydevs.com/mailing for subbing to the mailing list. The beta is just for live testing.
>>
>>146056297
That's neat, but I doubt people will need so many currencies options considering they would probably take the payment in USD anyway even if they're from Afghanistan.
>>
Man, I hope alienworks learns from their mistakes with HB and step it the fuck up for the reignition project. If they can't even code a kinetic novel competently, it makes me wonder how they'll tackle a multi-route one.
>>
>>146056771
how many writers from HB are working on it, I wonder.
HRP demo was bottom of the barrel too (though it was a long time ago t b h, they've probably rewritten it).
>>
>>146055403
Exogenesis.

>>146056056
>Diabeetus
Well, I don't think anyone would be too happy to hear that they have a lasting sickness anon. I just hope that they reach their deadline properly, I saw the comments on their KS and people are getting worried.
>>
>>146056487
I agree. You could probably get away with around 10 or so options like USD, Euro, etc. There's two reasons I didn't do that: first, I don't want to have to deal with figuring out which options to include / not include. Secondly, I just like the idea of people being able look for others locally. Maybe that's better served with a "location" option, but it doesn't hurt having more options when they're easy to search.

In general I like to think in terms of how I want VNs and the associated communities to be, not how they currently are. There's probably not many VN devs who use these currencies even locally. But I want there to be, and including an option helps to meet them halfway (or at least part-way) for when they appear.
>>
>Making a yuri game
>See that this year's filled with it
Dang. Well, this is fun.
>>
>>146059384
Do what I'm doing and release it next year.
>>
>>146059656
Even better, never release it at all!
>>
>>146059656
I might release the demo around October/November.
>>
>>146059384
You can still stand out. Try having a plot.
>>
File: 1465905075151.jpg (236KB, 691x625px) Image search: [Google]
1465905075151.jpg
236KB, 691x625px
Is there anything more retarded than no-name devs touting their own horns? Don't they realize if you come off as an ass and hype yourself up so much, people are going to look at your work through a fucking microscope and destroy it to pieces if you can't live up to the hype (protip: you won't)?
>>
>>146060630
hint: you'll never stop being a no-name dev if you don't blow your horn
>>
>>146060156
>Having a plot
Is that implying that most of the yuri this year didn't have one? I was under the impression that SV was plot heavy.
>>
>>146060915
better hint: just like make game already so you don't have to be an internet clown "muh gaym is totally gonna revolutionize the genre guise, it will be like totally awesome and THE BEST"
>>
>>146061026
>I was under the impression that SV was plot heavy.
haha no.
I mean, technically Starlight Vega has at least the vestiges of a plot and isn't all about school life. However, it's not very deep or involved, and doesn't really make sense (there's still a great deal of argument about whether the separate routes are supposed to be in the same universe or not, because the basic storyline doesn't add up) I would definitely not call it plot _heavy_

I'm still not sure whether A Little Lily Princess counts as a nakige or not. It's got the light-hearted first act followed by a second act where everything goes to hell, but it doesn't have the romance in the middle, the romances happen during the second act.
>>
>>146061187
make game without hyping yourself up first
game is released and no one cares
you disappear into the sea
>>
File: lamiasketch.jpg (63KB, 669x464px) Image search: [Google]
lamiasketch.jpg
63KB, 669x464px
Ara ara~ You're not interested in an old snake like me, are you?
>>
>>146061729
nowhere near enough scales
>>
>>146056056
>diabeetus
You also have to keep in mind that diabetes does fuck you up mentally at times. When you have hypos - which happen a lot more when you're still figuring out your insulin dosage and stuff - your sugar levels go really low and end up making you paranoid and a lot of other stuff. A friend of mine ended up at the hospital because his sugar levels got too low as he didn't calculate the right units.
>>
>>146061729
not enough solid snake
>>
>>146061729
Not enough scales and definition senpai.
>>
>>146062707
>>146064101
Noted. I'll see what I can do while it's still in sketch form and all. Thanks, guys! I'm not an expert on lamia designs so I guess getting the right directions/references to give to the artist was a bit of a challenge.
>>
File: kermit8.jpg (5KB, 195x195px) Image search: [Google]
kermit8.jpg
5KB, 195x195px
>>146061313
advertising does not equal self-congratulatory hype
if you can't advertise your game without some stupid premise that it clearly won't fulfill and value judgements, you're a bit thick
>>
>>146065019
Highway Blossoms is selling copies.
Top selling game in the Visual Novel tag right now
The more we bitch about it the more we cement that it's more important and more relevant to the scene than all the other VNs that have come out lately
>>
>>146061313
But didn't that nurse yuri evn pop out of nowhere with almost no to little marketing? Maybe it's about the quality after all.
>>
>>146065953
>nurse yuri evn
Do you mean the nurse yuri JVN which was a very well-known title in /u/ circles, whose _translation_ was announced with very little lead-up, confusing everyone, and was then subsequently delayed and has not yet been released, making it impossible to know anything at all about how it will perform in the market?
>>
>>146065579
You're not considering the fact the tag goes by what's popular in the week, and it's obvious a new release is going to be selling more than games that were there this whole time. If there were more not-completely-shit releases this week, there'd be competition.

You're also not considering refunds. Selling on Steam is just half the battle and kinetic VNs have it harder.
>>
>>146066775
>and it's obvious a new release is going to be selling more than games that were there this whole time.

It isn't, actually.

I know the 'top sellers' tag is weighted by the current week (and for that matter, current hour)'s results, and is somewhat subject to bizarre algorithms. On the other hand, I keep an eye on new releases. Any new EVN release should at least be in the top ten for a few days after launch, or it REALLY tanked. They don't all stay at the top of the category, though. The game is at least doing better than many in sales.

I have no data on KN refund rates so I can't speak to that.
>>
>>146059856
I'll be looking out for it, fellow yuri anon.
>>
>>146067635
>They don't all stay at the top of the category, though. The game is at least doing better than many in sales.
No evidence of that yet.
>>
>>146068290
I just stated the evidence? A lot of new release EVNs are on top for a single day after release at best, or not at all. Many are only in the top ten, not category topping at all.

If it were getting awful reviews you might think the initial sales will then flatline but the reviews are positive except for one guy who had a single bug and therefore ragequit
>>
>>146068696
For perspective, it's rating higher than the new chapter of Higurashi in the 'top sellers' category, and has FAR more reviews than Kyoto Colorful Days or One Small Fire At A Time which have both been out longer.

It's obvious that it's doing better than many games on launch. That doesn't make it a hit, there's no evidence of THAT yet, but "better than many" is clear.
>>
>>
>>146070859
>people think this is funny
>>
>>146070859
What is wrong with her neck.
>>
>>146070859
>>146070976
Context, please?
>>
>>146067635
Try tracking achievements. It's not long of a game, so if there's a drop off, then it means that people stopped playing and likely refunded it. Some of the achievements were a bugged though, so some didn't unlock until after I beat the game and checked the guest art gallery.
>>
>>146068851
People got sick of Higurashi's slow as crap release schedule and are waiting for the first 8 chapters to come out before buying it. The other 2 vns you mentioned look like shit.
>>
Looks like Highway Blossoms just put out a second patch that broke peoples save again. That makes it the third time when you take into account that the H patch broke them too.
>>
okay so I'm not an expert with Ren'Py, but surely there's a way to not break saves when updating games

I've ran into frustrating issues before with new iterations of my project breaking previous saves, but I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent that from happening, when adding new variables and stuff, or is it just inevitable?
>>
>>146072149
I opted into the Sakura Dungeon beta and my saves from before work just fine. It should usually be fine unless it was programmed in such a way that didn't factor in potential patches.
>>
>>146071948
why do their saves keep breaking? i never had this problem when updating my game.
>>
>>146071948
the H patch didn't break the saves, they just thought it would

>>146072149
only if you do it really carefully, but you pretty much have to coordinate with pytom really closely and it's not very feasible sadly

>>146072530
renpy rewrites some stuff internally when you change things, leading to breakage in the referenced dialogue nodes and the like in the save files
>>
>>146072620
that is, coordinate if you don't know the exact conditions under which the engine rewrites node labels
>>
>>146072149
I don't know how renpy manages saves internally, but for a KN you should be able to circumvent new var problems by checking if said var exists (and assigning it a default value if not) prior to checking its value.
>>
>>146072864
>coordinate if you don't know the exact conditions under which the engine rewrites node labels

Care to share what you know? You seem to understand it.
>>
>The latest HB patch broke achievements

Keep trying, guys. One of these days your game will be working as intended.
>>
>>146073524
wow that's just incompetent
>>
>>146073190
don't know the exact conditions either, but the gist of it is that Ren'Py assigns a textual label to every single statement in your .rpy file, for instance:

a "This sure is a bad game."
b "Then why are you playing it?"

will yield two "nodes" (stuff the engine actually can do stuff with, as opposed to just a bunch of text in the script) after parsing, and both will have their own label

now, this label generation is somewhat finicky, and one big cause of broken saves is changing the script around that much that the label names get changed too. since save games refer to your current location by the node label, it would either jump to an incorrect node in the script or just error out because it can't find the node label. this can also influence rollback, if you deleted three dialogue statements from the script, it thinks it can rollback for whatever (let's say N) nodes, but now that there's actually 3 less nodes preceding the starting point, the engine will freak out when it has reached the beginning while it thinks there are still nodes left

tl;dr Ren'Py's savegaming is a big fat mess and it's a shame
>>
>>146073868
disclaimer, this is what i understood from messing with it a few years back, it might've changed and is definitely not the only cause of breaking save games
>>
>>146073524
I got them all before they broke them, but not all of them were working as intended then either. Maybe they tried to fix the issue and broke them entirely.
>>
>>146073868
Huh. So as long as you don't change the actual node content, saves won't break? But as soon as you add/remove nodes/dialogue lines Ren'py is fucked?

Seems fucking volatile.
>>
>>146071381
meme mode unlocks after you complete the game once
its only there to artificially add replay value and extend playtime imo
>>
>>146074283
i'm not entirely privy on how the node label generation works, it might take content into account as well. obviously it also depends on how much you fuck around and where in the script the save game you're trying to load is located.

but yes, it's incredibly volatile. one possible solution would be to tell the engine every time you're building a release for distribution and it would generate label transition code or something.
>>
>>146074375
It could also be to get Lets Players to pick the game up. Most probably wouldn't touch it with how serious the second half is.
>>
>>146074459
Gotcha. Thanks for insight senpai.
>>
>>146072149
I do not understand how or why some people are breaking their saves when they update. We update our games all the fucking time and the saves don't break. It certainly doesn't require having PyTom hold our hands.
>>
>>146074957
for more first-hand information, saving is pretty much dumping the RollbackLog object here to a file: https://github.com/renpy/renpy/blob/970efedd9ca650bb5b90ac405d2c4e851c50374e/renpy/python.py

although i found Ren'Py code incredibly annoying to read if you don't understand the context of pretty much everything around it and the terminology it tends to use

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/translation.html#translate-statement
you can see the node labels i was mentioning in the example translation code here, the start_* names. this is because Ren'Py's translation system basically just does a full node replacement with new (translated) contents. it needs to know which node to replace, which is what the labels are used for here too.
>>
>>146074283
Generally no? Usually if you load a save and things have changed, the game will back up a little ways. In most cases, smoothly.

You'll break it if you delete labels it was relying on, but that should be obvious. And if you add variables and then try to check them in save games that didn't have those variables set in the first place, then again that will screw up.
>>
>>146075703
>but that should be obvious
it really isn't that obvious if you don't know how rollback works internally. for a user, labels are just that, labels, nothing for the engine to rely on internally in some magic ways
>>
>>146075464
Urgh, I haven't even dived in Ren'py internals so this may take a while to understand. Can we poke PyTom to explain some of the general stuff?
>>
>>146075703
>Usually if you load a save and things have changed, the game will back up a little ways. In most cases, smoothly.
this is correct though, and i forgot to mention it. the issue of course occurs when it can't. it won't straight out crash when not finding what it's supposed to, since it has a full historical log (sorta) at its disposal, but there's only a limit to what it can do
>>
Tumblr art EVNs. Y/N?
>>
Didn't the Rising Angels game have a slightly similar issue with people unable to load saves at the episode points and they fixed it? Do Sekai devs just not talk to each other?
>>
>>146077909
Would you want to talk to a sekai dev?
>>
>>146077889
so, art EVNs?

>>146077909
sekai is more of a publishing house, so no surprise there
>>
You know, a scene select sure would be convenient to have, considering all these broken saves...
>>
>>146078610
One thread is enough.
>>
>>146077909
Why would Sekai Project provide any actual help to the developers whose money they're siphoning off?
>>
>>146078869
To be fair he does have a point, in that if they're not competent enough to keep their saves from breaking it WOULD be handy for both players and developers to easily jump to different points in the story.

For that matter better internal chunking and scene breaks might make their saves break less.
>>
>>
Is Ren'Py, really the only way to do VNs? Or at least, the most stable one? I heard that Ren'Py can work with Unity, soon. But how soon?

I don't know much about coding but the Unity thing is kinda important in my game and despite considering Ren'Py at first, I feel forced to use the Unity VN Toolkit instead.
>>
>>146081689
Ren'Py isn't great, but all alternatives are a lot worse, so yeah
the Unity thing is just something writing a Ren'Py script parser for it, which probably won't be remotely fully compatible because all the Python stuff it does
>>
>>146081689
atm renpy is the way to go, unless you need live2d and a ton of animation effects. also it's not known if sekai project will let the renpy->unity engine available to the public.
>>
>>146081689
You can always write your own VN framework on top of another engine, bruh.
>>
>>146081689
Of course it's not the only way to do VNs. It's just more flexible than any 'easier' method and therefore the most useful tool to convince clueless flailing newbies to learn to use.

Many clueless flailing newbies will insist that it is too hard because it involves typing very simple words of code, and therefore demand to be allowed to use Novelty or TyranoBuilder instead, even though they are objectively shitter.

However, if what you want to use is Unity, learn to use Unity. Don't wait around for someone to make you a spoonfeed weak porting tool that will still make much of your code break and have to be done over again.

seriously just learn to program and stop trying to find a toolkit that will do everything for you
>>
File: whhhyyyyy.jpg (210KB, 1418x798px) Image search: [Google]
whhhyyyyy.jpg
210KB, 1418x798px
Why would they do this? Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>146082759
do what?
have a male character?
have a sign with a snake on it?
>>
>>146082759
Starry skies trigger me too.
>>
Theory: Calling the wrong name during sex is more likely than calling the right one.
>>
File: how to pick up chicks.jpg (221KB, 1418x798px) Image search: [Google]
how to pick up chicks.jpg
221KB, 1418x798px
>>146083679
>>146082759
>>
>>146083837
just condition yourself to use the name of the current US president or something
>>
>>146083837
You don't love your waifu enough, anon.
>>
>>146084223
oh, i do
that's why i'm desperately envisioning her even though she's not here
>>
>>146082206
>Live2D and AE
Well, fuck me. I guess I'll just have to ask my programmers then. I was really trying to avoid having to use them at all, not until we got funded at least. A lot of them insist that it's okay if they do this for free, but I want to see to it that they're properly compensated for the trouble. This kinda speeds up the entire thing though, I hope that they'd be alright with it. If I'm to release a demo I'll have to hand over the assets as soon as possible to them.

I'm doing most of the creative parts and I already got my hands full. If this is what I gotta do then, here goes.

>>146082289
>>146082346
Other than the fact that I'm already shouldering a lot of the assets in the game (Live 2D, BG, story and other animation), I can't code for shit. All the coding I learned in school went out the window because I haven't practiced it in years. Learning to do it now will be counter productive. I'd rather have someone who knows their shit and help out in the codes/scripts so I could focus on the art and story.
>>
>>146084193
>>146082759
perspective on these screenshots really fucks with me, if he's standing further in the back, why is his sprite cut off at the exact same place as the girls'? Or maybe they're ayyliens and just have huge heads.
>>
>>146084316
Next step is tulpamancy. Schizophrenia is a small price for happiness.
>>
>>146084436
>tulpamancy
what is this rabbit hole i am staring down
>>
>>146084590
Autonomous imaginary waifus that could go yandere if rubbed the wrong way, apparently.
>>
>>146084985
>rubbing your waifu the wrong way ever
look at this pleb who can't into foreplay with anime girls
>>
>>146085068
But imagine the disaster if you tried to summon your waifu and ended up with some other crazy anime girl instead. Stuck in your head. Threatening you every time you looked away.
>>
>>146084396
Is he standing further on the back, though? Looks like he is at the same distance.
>>
>>146085189
Seriously, there should be a limit to how much of a pleb an adult can be.
>>
>>146085306
What is this nonsense? Next thing you'll say is that you don't believe in magic, Battler!
>>
>>146070859
Can one of the devs say who made this CG? Surely it can't be Rosuuri, unless she was just... really lazy on this.
>>
>>146070859
>trying to outmeme based Mugen
not gonna happen kiddos
>>
>>146087050
>based
out
>>
>>146087050
who?
>>
>>146086189
That CG wasn't rosuuri, they had 3 cg artists:
RosuuriCG artist
ShiyunSprite artist/CG artist
WeeeCG artist
Since it doesn't match up with wee's style, it can only be shiyun's, since the sprites are of a similar quality.
>>
>>146087298
>>146086189

The worst part is this CG is re-used constantly in the VN, almost nonstop even.
>>
>>146087138
how new are you
>>
File: WCNSPgk.png (2MB, 1953x1218px) Image search: [Google]
WCNSPgk.png
2MB, 1953x1218px
>>
>>146092926
Looks good, what's that from? Google image search doesn't work for this one.
>>
memes
>>
fuck writing a decent game synopsis is hard.
>>
File: 63655.jpg (215KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
63655.jpg
215KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>146101154
is this oblivion
>>
>>146101929
not enough wraiths
>>
>>146091263
I haven't seen him in a long time.
>>
File: 19926.jpg (121KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
19926.jpg
121KB, 800x600px
>>
>>146092926
seriously? that file is 2 fucking MB.
>>
>>146105915
i'm in the buttfuck boonies and i can still load it.
>>
>>146095239
Well, tineye found it. Walkerman. Seems to be stuck in development hell. Unsurprisingly. No /u/ either. Also not very surprising but still disappointing.
>>
>>146106252
i don't think there's romance routes whatsoever, which is a shame because the girls are all sexy.
>>
>>146106736
That would explain why it barely managed to reach its kickstarter goal.
>>
>>146101154
Can't find it. I'm mildly interested.
>>
>>146107853
Time for this protip again.

If someone posts a screenshot whose filename is a 4 or 5 digit number, it's more than likely a vndb screenshot. Google "vndb screenshot [filename]".

https://vndb.org/v14492
>>
>>146109020
Thanks! Didn't know that.
>>
Hopefully the folks from Sekai think twice before picking up Black Sands, everything the guy says makes him seem like a pain in the ass.
>>
>>146111558
Well, if they do pick him up, they're going to beat Tao and WC and become the biggest laughing stock of the community. And if they don't, there's always the chance he'll cry "racism".

Either way, it sounds fun.
>>
>>146111873

It's literally the only visual novel I've ever wanted to tank so I could laugh at it.
>>
>>146111558
Why would that stop them?

>>146111873
>they're going to beat Tao and WC and become the biggest laughing stock of the community.
They're already working with those people, though.
>>
>>146113013
>Why would that stop them?

I assume no one wants to work with difficult devs unless they are like WC and print money.
>>
>>146114160
Difficult to work with hardly matters if you're SP and don't do anything anyway
>>
>>146101154
This looks weird as fuck senpai. If you already went through the trouble of creating 3d models, why not and go ahead with a full rpg? Why limit yourself with this?
>>
>>146114770
What do you expect an image from a 7 year old vn to answer?
>>
>>14611496
It's still stupid though. 7 years doesn't change that.
>>
>>146114968
Better pointless questions than leaving the thread to die?
>>
>>146114770
You assume they created 3d models and didn't just download a picture from somewhere.

For that matter, slapping a character together in Poser is a very, very long way from being able to create an RPG.
>>
>>146114720

Because when they do something stupid it won't be "dev did so" it will be "SP did so".
>>
>>146115262
As I said, it's still stupid. And even if it was just downloaded by that person. Whoever made that still didn't pull it off. It looks awkward as fuck, if not a little jarring.
>>
>>146114720
I imagine that if Black Sands was published by SP and it didn't sell well, they'd say they didn't promote them as well as they should have because they're racist, which isn't great PR for a publisher.
>>
>>146116017
Isn't the sekai guy asian? I think only whites can be racist in tumblr land.
>>
>>146116465
Asians are a special kind of people of colorful melanin levels caleidoscope rumba rainbow and can therefore be racist.
>>
>>146114770
It's probably just screenshots from an Oblivion sex mod.
They didn't do any 3d modeling at all.
>>
kickstarter was a mistake
>>
>>146119807
Someone's crowd funding didn't go well.
>>
>>146120915
Someone's probably salty about AJ Tilley
>>
>>
>>146123685

I'm all for being flexible for the inclusion of gameplay, but how's a beat 'em up game a vn?
>>
>>146123879
Well look at that exciting talking section on display there
>>
>>146124282

Truly a literary masterpiece.
>>
>>146123685
It looks good and distinctive, which is more than I can say for most generic vns.
>>
File: 96D0XJR.gif (3MB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
96D0XJR.gif
3MB, 800x448px
>>
>>146128784
UAB 2 is looking pretty good.
>>
>>146125876
Redefines the genre.
>>
>>146128784
those aren't hands inside of them right?
>>
>>146134124
It's da D

>>146123135
AJ Tilley?
>>
>>146128784
How revolutionary!
>>
ded
>>
>>146143042
Alive. For now.
>>
What memes does Highway Blossoms have?
>>
>>146145139
The dank kind.
>>
>>146145139
buy it to find out :^)
>>
>>146119807
Spill the beans
>>
>>146144961
not for long now, I need to sleep
>>
>http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=74b800eadf353a0fe4d6dde43&id=437fd875a3

sekai project is releasing two jvn back to back, so i was wondering, does it not matter if you launch a game near a big sale on steam?
>>
>>146148982
I was wondering about that as well. Launch dates are pretty important too.
>>
>>146148982
>Sekai Project
>business strategy
pick one
>>
>>
borp
>>
>>146153927
>>146153919
congratulations /evn/, you have twins
>>
Die
>>
Ugh... Anything happening?
>>
>>146156084
I'm 10% in my script writing and I want to stab my neck for even starting this whole deal. Sooo yeah. Nothing new. Sorry bud.
>>
>>146156084
realised the writing for my new vn is going to cost $1500 if i'm lucky. now i'm trying to figure out what to charge for the game. The irony is that to charge more than i am already, i need a bigger wordcount, and more words = more money.
>>
>>146156949
>paying writers
that's my favorite /evn/ meme
>>
>>146156949
$1500 for how many words? Kinda want to know how much would be worth my script if I wrote it for someone else.
>>
>>146156949
>Paying $1500 for words

Why not just learn the english language bruv?
>>
>>146158148
that's so relative on skill level, work ethic, and experience though. just because a writer is getting x rate doesn't mean everyone can get x rate.
>>
I always wonder why people assume writers shouldn't/don't get paid.
>>
>>146148982
It's hard to say what does or doesn't matter unless you've done a lot of A/B testing. Some games have done okay launched during a sale. I wouldn't do it myself though.
>>
>>146159692
Most devs double as writers and don't (initially) factor themselves into the budget to keep costs low.

It's hilarious because if you suggest that an artist should do the same, everyone goes insane.
>>
>>146159692
It's quite simple. First, if there's a single writer it's often the project lead, and in really indie games it can be looked down on for the project lead to pay themselves directly, they're supposed to invest in the project and then reap the profits.

Second, many writers involved in EVN are not at a professional level so everyone snickers at the idea of paying for that shit (Of course, the counter-argument comes in that if you actually hired a professional your writing might suck less balls. This isn't totally true, there are EVNs with professional writers that still suck, 'professional' doesn't mean 'good'.)

Third, the economics involved make it a little daunting for a lot of low-budget projects. If you're paying 5 cents a word, which is not even a good payrate, just a non-embarrassing one, the cost of your solid-but-not-huge 200K word VN is suddenly a big deal.
>>
>>146160075
>because if you suggest that an artist should do the same, everyone goes insane.
On the other hand if the artist is the LEAD and they want to be paid, we get everyone's complaints about caramel mokkacino.
>>
>>146160115
>which is not even a good payrate
so you turn your nose up at .05c a word all the time, yeah?
>>
>>146160293
Not being a freelance writer myself, that question isn't really relevant. I'm just saying, that's not a generous, wow, I can hire anyone for this, kind of payrate.
>>
>>146160075
>>146160115
>How dare the creator want to be paid for their hard work!

Well, that's dumb. Everyone should include themselves into the budget. As long as they made significant contribution, that's worthy enough of proper payment
>>
>>146160187
What. People are complaining that the person (who is the lead AND the artist) asked that they be paid too? Is the concept of everyone have bills to pay really that difficult to understand? Did SV get the same treatment? For what I heard the lead did most of the work, right?
>>
>>146160075
>It's hilarious because if you suggest that an artist should do the same, everyone goes insane.
Only because artists do so with the same rates for commissions, which doesn't keep the costs low, and just results in them getting paid the same as if they were hired by someone, only to do what they want at their own pace in order to make more money.
>>
>>146161654
Do we know for sure that artists pay themselves the same rates as their commissions? I had a look at the CM Kickstarter campaign and if you divide the amount of art assets by the money they assigned for the art you don't get a very good rate. I don't know, maybe everyone in Chile only eats recycled cardboard.
>>
>>146161850
Yes, we do.

Let's just be honest: you could be the writer, the artist, the composer, the guy who delivers pizza to the crew... and no one would give a fuck if you include yourself in the budget unless you're trying to seriously profit from it rather than fund the project itself because that'd go against the whole point of crowdfunding.

People aren't pledging to pay you a salary. That's what Patreon is for. KS and IndieGogo are for funding projects, not your life.
>>
>>146161884
>funding for projects
>not your life
A person's life is also included in the equation anon. They can't finish the project unless they have enough to feed them till its release date.
>>
>>146161884
>Patreon

Talking of which, I saw some vns relying on Patreon for funding and finishing projects. Is this a good alternative to crowdfunding?
>>
>>146162380
>They can't finish the project unless they have enough to feed them till its release date.
You can't seriously tell me commission rates are only to fund living costs. By your logic, an artist that isn't getting the same amount of work as usual every week goes without groceries instantly, and that'd be just a financially irresponsible person who shouldn't be freelancing or crowdfunding.

There is no justification to charging the same as a commission for your own KS project. It's literally getting paid to babysit your own kid when you're a babysitter by profession and would legally have to take care of your kid anyway because it's your kid.
>>
>>146162649
You'd make more money on the long run, but you'd be expected to make consistent progress.

Basically, it's the nightmare of anyone who can't show new shit every week or can't market a product.
>>
>>146162774
Funny you should say that. A certain dev is known to justify that. Hint: it's a woman.
>>
>>146162649
For sure. Unlike KS/IG it's not a one-time thing, so you can even acquire more funds through Patreon.

Obviously funding isn't consistent. So you need to actually put out updates every month or so, to keep patrons from leaving.
>>
>>146162774
>It's literally getting paid to babysit your own kid when you're a babysitter by profession and would legally have to take care of your kid anyway because it's your kid.
There ARE political arguments in favor of paying people to look after their own kids, provided they do a good job at it, rather than expecting them to work an unpaid job on top of a paid one.
>>
>>146162774
You'd be surprised how many people were unable to finish their games because of this. It might be their fault, of course, but if people want to see a project get finished, enough that they'd want to support it, giving the lead a little bit more shouldn't hurt. It gives a bit of a cushion in case the artist got sick or such.

Example, Exogenesis' Kwan just got diabeetus recently. Good thing they got more than what they asked for in their KS. This is just a case of good luck of course, not the norm.
>>
>>146163134
Yes, as there are political arguments in favor of bestiality and pedophilia that get ignored because they're fucking dumb and impractical. Like that one.
>>
>>146163216
>dat slippery slope.

Anon, try subtlety sometimes.
>>
Just a reminder: there are arguments the Earth is fucking flat.
>>
>>146163213

So are backers expected to take the risk of the dev team's life in general on top of the normal financial risk?
>>
>>146163305
My desire to be subtle goes away when someone suggests the dumbest thing possible: giving welfare to half the world's population over something they can do over and over again every nine months.
>>
>>146163414
There are always risks in each crowdfunding.

>>146163415
>topic is about lead devs who might need a little more
>slides into world welfare propaganda

/pol/ please leave.
>>
>>146161364
SV's kickstarter's base goal didn't include paying the lead/artist. The stretch goals did, but she had other people that were going to end up having to do work to put in those additions, like her programmer and co-writer.
>>
>>146163543
>There are always risks in each crowdfunding.

But you don't put all of them in the budget. That's like saying they should have a funeral fund in case one of them dies. Sure, that's a risk, but it's dumb to put it on the backers.
>>
>>146163543
>/pol/ please leave.
First of all, /pol/ was always here, and you have to be really new to think otherwise.

Second, I wasn't the one who brought up the notion that it was a political argument people made for validity of a stupid idea.

And lastly:
>There are always risks in each crowdfunding.
No excuse to try and "prevent them" by asking for more money. If people give you more, great, they appreciate you. Overbudgeting is messed up at the very least, fraud at its worst.
>>
>>146163578
Why is it wrong to pay the lead/artist again?

>>146163628
>All these anger about leads that earn more than what they're "supposed" to do
I'm starting to sense some bitterness here.
>>
>>146163736
Wrong. It was a containment board for autists.

>overbudgeting
>measly couple of bucks added so the lead could live via ramen

Dear lord, I wonder, have any of you people successfully launched a game? Oh wait.
>>
>>146163759
>Why is it wrong to pay the lead/artist again?
It's not, but they're not being commissioned so it is unethical to put a cost the same as if they were getting paid to do something they wouldn't financially benefit further from or that they didn't actively want to do.
>>
>>146163759
>Why is it wrong to pay the lead/artist again?

Because their payment is supposed to be the profit of the game. When they put it in the budget, they are effectively getting paid twice.

It's even more egregious as indie devs doing a crowdfund because they have the ability to forgo that money to have a lower funding goal.
>>
>>146163910
>Dear lord, I wonder, have any of you people successfully launched a game?
Yes, and I didn't have to overbudget to do that because my project actually looked good and my team's members had a track record. But go on, keep projecting if it makes it easier for you to pretend you're not unethical. The only way to make it is to charge far more than what you need, right?
>>
>>146164009
>Good
Show me what you got senpai.
>>
>>146162649
It's very unstable. I know some evn devs dropped around half of what they were getting in a couple months time. They had fairly regular posts, but even that's not enough to keep peoples interest. VNs can take months to develop and people might feel like they aren't getting their money's worth when nothing is release for months at a time. People complained about that with Razz's patreon and a copy of Catch Canvas as a reward.
>>
So you wanna make bread to sell.

You got your hands and experience with an oven.

You ask for a place to work on. You get it.

You ask for people to bring you ingredients. You get it.

You ask for helpers to do everything else that isn't putting the bread in the oven. You get it.

You'll get to keep all the money from the bread sales.

And now you're mad people don't like the idea of you asking for a salary on top of everything?
>>
>>146164009
>Good
That's subjective though. If that's what's ethical then does that mean that people who earn more than they were expected to are supposed to get their hands off the money that were thrown at them? Let's say if a lead's KS goal is only around 6k and they earned 100k. Are they still supposed to lay their grubby hands off the moolah?
>>
>>146164198

But what if the oven explodes and I lose my hands, anon!!
>>
>>146163213
Giving a project too much money can be a bad thing too. It can lead to feature creep and they may have severely underestimated the cost of the stretch goals. And of course lets not forget devs who get way more than they asked for, yet backburner the crowdfunding project in favor of starting new ones.
>>
>>146164063
Nice try, friend.

>>146164230
>Are they still supposed to lay their grubby hands off the moolah?
The ethical thing to do is to put it into the project. If it's not enough for new features, it could be worked into marketing or something similar.
>>
>>146164198
Let's put this in a lead/artist position then shall we?

>Place to work on
They already have it.

>Ingredients
They already have it

>Helpers
They don't have it yet.

>Money from the bread/vn sales
Is probably gonna go to the bread/vn again. Because VN profit are questionable in the long run.

>>146164304
Fabulous.
>>
>>146164352
>Being this against the idea of a lead gaining profits

Wow. I for one I'm glad that VN is getting successful. I'm happy for the lead/artist. You miserable, "ethical" cunts are the reason why EVNs have such low quality.
>>
>>146164398
>Because VN profit are questionable in the long run.
Protip: every business venture has big variables. People are funding your project to completion/distribution, nothing else. That's what crowdfunding is for.
>>
Just in case someone takes this retard >>146164497
seriously, it's not about leads making profits, but making profits twice, as in making profits to make profits.
>>
All this rage about people trying to collect some amount of pay for their efforts, from people who line up to give away money to SP for free.
>>
>>146164769
See >>146164602
>it's not about leads making profits, but making profits twice, as in making profits to make profits.
>>
>>146164769
gg ez
>>
>>146164821
But you can only claim that if the lead is going to sell that game. What if it's a free game?
>>
>>146164897
It almost always ends up on Steam and/or itch.io. Very few crowdfunded games are free.
>>
File: 1439854790188.png (26KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
1439854790188.png
26KB, 128x128px
>Had a strong start to my story with tons of ideas floating in my head
>Write a decent chunk of it
>Get a job
>Every night when I get home I'm too tired to do anything and just sit and watch TV before bed
>Weekends are spent studying for certifications or being lazy
>Haven't made progress in two months

Help.
>>
>>146164897
If it's a free game it's all good. No one at any point in this argument is against people getting paid to do free games.
>>
>>146164991
Quit your job to work on your game.
>>
>>146164991
>Getting a job while working on a project.
Isn't it usually the opposite? Like quitting the job to focus on a project? You dun goof'd man.
>>
>>146165080
>>146165127
Stop trying to ruin their life, you fucking cunt.
>>
>>146164821
>making profits twice, as in making profits to make profits
Like Sekai Project does, by never putting the profits of their games towards funding the next game?
>>
>>146165080
>>146165127
I'm not dumb enough to try and make a living off of english imitations of chinese porn books.

It was originally a fun project to kill some time while unemployed, but now I don't have time for it anymore when I still have a desire to finish it and it's slowly killing me on the inside.
>>
>>146164198
>all the money from the bread sales
But the kickstarter money IS the bread sales. In many cases that's the bulk of the orders they're going to get.
>>
>>146165214
SP is the opposite of ethical in many, many ways. To the point where they try to come here and shift discussions of their business practices towards a favorable look, pretending not to be affiliated.
>>
>>146165214
For all we know all that extra money might be going back to the devs, and do you know how many damaged physical copies they've had to replace because they arrived damaged?
>>
>>146165295
Then stop complaining and stop pretending you want to work on your project.
>>
>>146165303
>But the kickstarter money IS the bread sales
No, it's not. KS/IG are for funding projects, not preorders. Read the terms of service.

>In many cases that's the bulk of the orders they're going to get.
Tough titty then. At least they got to produce this unmarketable product no one but the backers want without paying out of pocket.
>>
>>146165303
No it's not, on Steam they'll get a few hundred to a few thousand extra bread sales by default. And with surges during sales.
>>
>>146165353
>For all we know all that extra money might be going back to the devs

It does. The money they give to devs doesn't come out of thin air.
>>
>>146165295
>I'm so much better than you faggets
>wasting time on an english imitation of a chinese porn site

GG. Now kindly fuck off and stop whining when you're already being a mediocre twat.
>>
>>146165353
They ship physical copies?
>>
>>146165295
>wahh my hobby is killing me on the inside
Would you like some cheese with that whine?
>>
>>146165409
>without paying out of pocket
Only if they paid themselves a salary.

>>146165468
You can't really tell that, since the steam owner count INCLUDES the backers.
>>
>>146165560
Yes. That's a big thing in most of their kickstarters. If a game gets so much as a scuff on it during shipping people won't shut up unless Sekai ships them a replacement.
>>
>>146148982
At the moment, Stray Sheep is barely in the top ten of current best sellers in the VN category. I'd forgotten SP even had that property, so they must not have been marketing it very hard. At the moment its only review is in Japanese. It's clearly facing a much worse reception than Highway Blossoms did.
>>
>>146165632
>You can't really tell that, since the steam owner count INCLUDES the backers.
If only you were smart enough to do basic math and subtract the number of backers who got a digital copy of the game. But alas, you have the IQ of a potato.

And Steamspy numbers aren't accurate anyway. Many people won't crowdfund projects, but will buy the game once it's actually out, unless your game sucks or has a bias against it.
>>
>>146165632
You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>146165854
>a smart person could get the exact sales count by deducting the backers from the owner count
>except that the owner count is extremely unreliable, and not every backer redeems a steam key, so the error margin is such that a game showing thousands of sales might have none at all
>but you're still stupid
>>
>>146165771
Stray Sheep has some really shitty art and there's no porn.

And lets not forget:

>Linux version might not work, we're looking for workarounds.
>Achievements will be added in the future
>Cards will be added in the future.
>>
>>146166036
Why did they even launch if the game is half broken? Why not just wait?
>>
>>146166007
Which is why the owner with the access to Valve's stats is the only person who knows, as opposed to trusting SteamSpy. Not getting to that conclusion on your own is stupid.
>>
>>146166036
No one cares about Linux or OSX. Windows is what most JVNs will only work on unless they're ported and some can't be, or aren't worth the effort to.
>>
>>146166116
Claiming that you know any better is pretty dumb too senpai.
>>
>>146166179
Anyone who's launched a game on Steam knows. It even tells what countries the sales came from. The data is very useful.
>>
>>146166179
You really didn't think this through, huh? A lot of people here have games on Steam and can verify this information.
>>
>>146166116
And that owner wouldn't need to do any silly deductions because it's very obvious to them how many sales they've made, so the snark about math still makes no sense.
>>
>>146166275
>>146166386

Anyone who's launched a game on Steam knows exactly how many sales OTHER developers on Steam have made?
>>
>>146166817
>>146166897
Anyone who launched a game doesn't have to know other people's games made to know SteamSpy isn't accurate.
>>
Worth mentioning: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/36sfby/how_accurate_is_steamspy/crgrf3i

>Anything below 30K is wildly unreliable.
>>
>>146165487
>I'm so much better than you faggets
Where did I say that?

Did I hit a nerve, Anon?
>>
>>146167259
No one in the thread has actually argued that SteamSpy is reliable.
>>
>>146167786
Wanna try again? >>146165632
>You can't really tell that, since the steam owner count INCLUDES the backers.
>>
Are Highway Blossoms achievements still broken? I've never heard of a patch doing that before.
>>
>>146167870
Yes. Clearly, I see a statement that says "SteamSpy numbers are 100% accurate"

No, wait! That's not what it says at all!
>>
>>146168005
You just established you're either incapable of following a discussion or a really bad troll.
>>
>>146167951
Definitely broken for some people, not necessarily all, if you look at the forums. But it's not uncommon for them to not work for some people anyway
>>
>>146168056
Someone said games are guaranteed to sell a bunch of copies on Steam on top of the kickstarter backers. I said there's not really clear evidence of that, since any listing of how many people on Steam own a game would include the kickstarter backers.

As outsiders who are not the developers of the game in question, we cannot easily look at an individual steam title and say "it got X backers and then also made Y sales".

Do I need to walk you through this more slowly? I never mentioned SteamSpy and certainly didn't say its numbers were completely accurate, since that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
>>
So, how about those video games?
>>
>>146168347
>Someone said games are guaranteed to sell a bunch of copies on Steam on top of the kickstarter backers.
Guaranteed, no. Far, far more likely, yes. Because a) KS only works with credit cards, unlike Steam and b) people are more willing to buy a game to play there and then than to pay for a maybe-it-will-get-done-one-day project.

>I said there's not really clear evidence of that, since any listing of how many people on Steam own a game would include the kickstarter backers.
Not something you can google, sure. Ask any dev on Steam, though. Literally any dev.

>As outsiders who are not the developers of the game in question, we cannot easily look at an individual steam title and say "it got X backers and then also made Y sales".
Correct, but also irrelevant.
>>
>>146168743
I'm interested in that one but I'll wait until I read a few reviews.
>>
File: 95913.jpg (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
95913.jpg
722KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>146170192
is this ero
>>
>>146170831
God... why would you wish that?
>>
die
>>
>>146173353
Crowdfunding is a terrible idea. Why pay someone who doesn't know how to manage money thousands of dollars just so they can pay everyone a salary and not release the game? They also tend to overhype what they're offering. And some are even releasing the games way before they're ready with entire missing parts in the case of NOBY.
>>
>>146173895
>just so they can pay everyone a salary and not release the game
To be fair, most people aren't nearly as irredeemable shits as Dischan
>>
>>146174195
Many don't budget properly though. They think they have enough for 20 CGs and the artist runs off and they either have to have varying styles, or pay to redo everything.

And look at the mess that is exogenesis. They hired a programmer that they didn't even need and had to replace them with the one they actually needed. Literally funds down the drain.
>>
>>146173895
>Crowdfunding is a terrible idea.
Well, duh. Nearly no accountability/people thinking it's free money to do whatever ruin it for everyone.
>>
>>146161884
I can't find the number of art assets on the KS page, where did you find the number to cross reference against Deji's commission prices?

Also, the backgrounds are made by Badriel, not her.
>>
>>146174541
>They think they have enough for 20 CGs and the artist runs off and they either have to have varying styles, or pay to redo everything.
But anon, if they ask for more money than the bare minimum necessary to pay for everything with nothing going wrong, then they're greedy and horrible people and deserve to fail.
>>
>>146162864
Well, that narrows it down a lot!
>>
>>146174837
They did ask for a cushion in their budgeting and they still went over it and can't afford all the voice acting they promised.
>>
>>146174837
then the budget should include the possibility of having to do everything twice?
>>
>>146174676
45% of the main goal is for art. That's $4275. Badriel charges $30-75 per BG. If they had 30 different BGs, which is absolute overkill, and Badriel was charging the most they do, only half of that money would be gone. Which would leave enough for about 65 full body sprites for Deji's commission rates.

So yeah, totally not overestimating costs.
>>
>>146175332
The CGs might be taking up a big chunk of the budget, since those are usually in the 100s of dollars for a single CG.
>>
>>146175238
Not necessarily everything twice but yes, you do need to at least take into account the prospect that something will go tits-up.
>>
>>146163736
>/pol/ was always here
now who's fucking new
>>
File: SakuraSpace.jpg (116KB, 625x853px) Image search: [Google]
SakuraSpace.jpg
116KB, 625x853px
Sakura Space will be a yuri vn.
>>
>>146176165
milking that cow till it's dead, are we
>>
>>146176407
It's stillborn to me.
>>
>>146175914
Yes, but Deji is handling those too, isn't she?

>>146176052
Still you.
>>
File: 1391986506968.jpg (47KB, 355x631px) Image search: [Google]
1391986506968.jpg
47KB, 355x631px
>>146176165
Beating a dead demographic to a pulp.
>>
>>146175332
I can only find the price for one sketch commission, which is $20, though I imagine she charges US dollars, rather than Canadian dollars, for those.

I wonder if Badriel still does stuff for those prices, his Lemmasoft thread hasn't been updated and the last post on it is from someone who didn't get an answer to their PMs. The last examples are from 2014.

>>146176598
>Yes, but Deji is handling those too, isn't she?

You think she should make them at no cost? Or just that she shouldn't have put them in the budget and then used the additional money if she got it? For the kind of deadline she has (December 2016) she wouldn't be able to do all that work on the side. The campaign does say that if it didn't get funded it would be a considerably smaller project.
>>
>>146177030
>You think she should make them at no cost?
Going by the $100/CG thing, she could still afford about 16 of those if she had 15 sprites.

However you look at it, those prices do look quite a bit overestimated.
>>
>>146177030
I wouldn't say no cost, but the whole "I really want to do the fandisk, but the possibility of me charging less to help lower the stretch goal didn't occur to me until literally the last hours" rubbed me the wrong way.
>>
>>146176598
cute how you think you know shit when you probably weren't even here before /new/
>>
>>146177907
MUST. HAVE. LAST. WORD.
EVIDENCE. UNNECESSARY.
THREAD. WAS. NEVER. POLITICAL.
>>
>>146177687
that stuff is all hot air to get backers to donate more.
>>
>>146178112
>EVIDENCE. UNNECESSARY.
you're the one making the claim buckaroo
>>
>>146176165
Tao better get his space yuri game out soon. Nothing worse than Sakura doing something first and potentially better than you.
>>
>>146177440
Man, her rates are that low?

>>146177687
I think she's just stupid, really.

I do wonder, though: I'm fairly sure she had other people do the CG sketches for her so she could make lots of CGs, it could be that she will do that for the whole game as well, to have lots of CGs. 20 CGs would be the minimum I'd expect at this point.
>>
So now that's yuri is mainstream, which autistic EOP fanbase thirsting for VNs will be catered to?
>>
>>146179759
>Man, her rates are that low?
Yep, but she lives in Chile. 2 grand USD is a lot there.
>>
>>146179924
>Yuri
>Mainstream
Just because people are finally doing games about it doesn't mean it's mainstream. If anything it's just a niche getting it's first fun ride in a while. Soon it will be a long, dry season. Enjoy it while it lasts buckos.
>>
>>146179937
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/chile/minimum-wages

I just checked. Fucking hell!
>>
File: tumblr_o2ajr8wsZD1qhts2bo1_1280.jpg (300KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2ajr8wsZD1qhts2bo1_1280.jpg
300KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>146183075
Is this yuri too?
>>
>>146183075
why is the white girl making a vulcan salute
why is the smith looks straight at the camera
where is "auto" button
>>
>>146183460

That's not the vulcan salute, anon.
>>
>>146183185
It's mixed, like usual for him
>>
Winged Cloud is on a role. They're also working on Sakura Shrine Girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC0qy2QOffk
>>
File: tumblr_o91av7bSBo1u51furo2_500.jpg (42KB, 339x610px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o91av7bSBo1u51furo2_500.jpg
42KB, 339x610px
>>
>>146185798
>role
anon pls
>>
>>146185798
>shrine maidens
>they look slutty
What's the point?
>>
File: purifying this thread.jpg (52KB, 500x865px) Image search: [Google]
purifying this thread.jpg
52KB, 500x865px
>>146185798
Sakurashit is literally like porn parodies on popular themes with a bunch of clones in different wigs/contacts/outfits.
>>
>>146185798
who the fuck picked that music?
>>
Would I be looking to hire a writer, or should I look for an editor instead? I want someone to improve the script with the usual things like grammar and flow but also more major edits like changing or adding to plot.
>>
>>146187373
What's not the point?
>>
>>146185798

>Shrine girls
>Miko outfit for like 1 sec the whole trailer.
>>
File: o3BMbd.png (1MB, 1272x715px) Image search: [Google]
o3BMbd.png
1MB, 1272x715px
>>
File: ebin-maymay.png (44KB, 156x224px) Image search: [Google]
ebin-maymay.png
44KB, 156x224px
>>146192987
>>
>>146192987
Tried it a bit. Got bored quickly.
>>
>>146185798
Never-ending milking.
>>
File: 62462.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
62462.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
>>
>>
Highway Blossoms ought to include a performance of Chickenman
>>
>>
What ever happened to Salty Tears?
>>
All your dreams will die
>>
File: ClMw-YoVAAAEb4S.jpg (92KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
ClMw-YoVAAAEb4S.jpg
92KB, 810x540px
They fixed the hand but it broke the saves
>>
>>146210204
>spoiler
kek
>>
>>146206362

If a VN isn't talked about in any of these threads just assume it died.
>>
>>146047816
>http://meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist
>Hi I'm Arthur and I have the best datefriend in the world
>They pronouns
Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>146163926
>Because their payment is supposed to be the profit of the game.

This is a fallacy. If you've ever been in the games industry, you would know that all the devs get paid a salary so they can meet their basic needs while they are busy working on the project. If you don't have the funds to pay a team, or you can't acquire them, you don't hire a team. It's not rocket science friends. Funds that come from sales are for future marketing, company buffering, future game development (which is paid to the team while they are working on the game) or in the case of kids making games with no experience, dowhatever money. You have to understand that if you can pay your team wages while they are working on your game you fucking do it. No excuses, no bullshit, just pay everyone and everyone is happy.
>>
>>146164991
You're living the life just like millions before you. Get used to it and do your best at your current job.
>>
>>146212194
>you don't hire a team

But you don't hire YOURSELF.
>>
>>146212475
Do you think the suits in the industry don't get paid salaries on top of profits?
>>
>>146176676
>>146176407

Thousands of people buy your game. Do you,
>keep making more of them
>do something else
based on your answer I will either believe or not believe you.
>>
>>146212729

suits =/= indie devs.
>>
>>146212475
Actually, for managing a team and contributing to the game assets you would probably get more pay if anything. Unless you just want to sacrifice yourself to hire a couple extra artists, musicians, or whatever. Just because you're the project lead doesn't mean you have to go hungry. If you're paying yourself more for doing nothing then obviously you're a shit, but that wasn't the argument I was making.
>>
>>146168873
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/va-11-hall-a
It's been doing pretty well so far critically
>>
>>146168743
Oh shit, that's out today! Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>146213669
Your payment should be the reward of knowing you've contributed to a creative work
>>
>>146213669
>>146215647
Just stop acting retarded. If it's your project and the money goes to you, you shouldn't get a salary from crowdfunding.
>>
>>146215647
>here's your salary this month guys
>what about you, bro? You've only got three packs of noodles left
>I know, but I can't give myself a wage to live, I have to use it to hire more people
>but how will you pay us our wages if you die of starvation?
>all I know is I'll have contributed to a creative work, my legacy will live on
>>
>>146216296
> "here's your salary this month, guys."
> team does nothing
> dischan.jpg
>>
>>146216185
Why should anyone else get one, then? They can all take shares of the profits! This will work great
>>
>>146217283

But they don't get a salary, that's retarded. They get commission-based payments.
>>
>>146217506
So why would it be weird to pay yourself the same commission payments you would pay a freelancer to do your job?
>>
out of curiosity how much makes you satisfied after making a game? the bottom line profit after costs to hire people and time.

0$? 3k? 10k? More?
>>
>>146217506
You are referring to piece wages, boils down to each job, hour or piece, etc. is paid separately rather than on a periodic basis. These are still things you have to pay. People who do hours serving in a cafe for example earn a minimum wage.

Why would YOU not get the same? Ultimately it's your money and you will set aside your payment, using the rest for everything else - hopefully minimum WAGE so you can live properly, if you're paying yourself to a certain degree of above average you're just a scummy person in charge of your business money.
>>
>>146218052
Because you're going to keep the profits afterwards, they aren't.

Also, it's weird because it's other's people money, so you now not only have you deflected risk, you got paid a salary on top of it.
>>
I'm a complete noob to renpy and programming in general, could someone help me out with a simple question? I'm trying to use a fade transition to go from one scene to another, but the problem is that the sprite doesn't show up for about half a second until the textbox does, so there's a moment where only the bg is showing with no sprite. I want to make it so the sprite and bg show up at the same time.

The code looks like:
scene outside bg with fade
show girl sad

I've tried to find a way to rearrange this to eliminate the problem but I failed to figure anything out. Again I'm a complete noob to renpy and the solution is likely obvious, thanks to anyone who helps me.
>>
>>146218618
You still aren't comprehending the fact you would be an employee and offering work yourself. If you threw a piece of paper, said do whatever and paid people whilst you went to do another job, your argument works.
>>
>>146218703
>scene outside bg with fade
>show girl sad
wouldn't it be...?
>show girl sad with fade
>>
>>146219102
If I put show girl sad with fade, first the new background appears with no transition, and then she fades into existence like a ghost, which isn't the affect I want. I want both the background and the girl to fade in together, at the same time.
>>
>>146218703
When you do a "with fade" or the like in renpy, the processing will COMPLETE that action before carrying on to the next action.

So if you did

show char1 with dissolve
show char2 with dissolve

one character would dissolve in, and ten after that character finished, the second character would start to dissolve in.

If you wanted them both to do it at the same time, you could do

show char1
show char2 with dissolve

because once it hits that with, it will then carry out the whole set of commands before proceeding.

Or you could do

show char1
show char2
with dissolve

if you find it more readable to put it on its own line.
>>
>>146219990
There may actually be a difference between putting it on tis own line or not, I'm not sure.
>>
>>146220094
There is. That should be the correct solution to this problem.
>>
>>146220094
>>146220206
could you not just do "scene outside bg with fade and show girl sad"
>>
>>146220094
>>146220206
Yes, there is a difference and it was the solution. Thanks guys.
>>
>>146219990
I have a problem where I can only get the sprite/bg to fade in but not the side image (head box thing), how would you handle that?
>>
>>146218284
>how much makes you satisfied after making a game?
Is there a one million $ option for grnee roluvozeineting games, like Black Sands?
>>
>>146220517
Oh shit never mind I actually figured it out, was stumped on that so haven't edited shit for a while.
>>
>>146220517
Side images are their own weird thing that don't respond to normal codes, which is one reason they're less popular.

Recent renpy has some commands that are supposed to help with that:

[quote]
Transforms and Transitions

The config.side_image_same_transform and config.side_image_change_transform transforms are called with two arguments - old and new side image displayables - each time the side image is displayed. These can be used to move around side images, or use a transition to go between side images.
[/quote]

but I haven't done it myself
>>
>>146221874
Yeah, I'm using those transforms, and they generally worked, but showing a scene, new sprite AND side image seemed to ditch the side image transition and just make it pop in jarringly after the other two.

I've just used this below, which seems to work for some odd reason so I won't question why.

scene bg test with dissolve
d "You can buy me donuts of course!" with dissolve
show demon-sprite basic at right, sprite_dissolve
>>
>>146216720

No, the team did their jobs, Dani just didn't want to publish it.
>>
>>146222374
It might ruin his reputation as the best, most professional EVN developer of all time
>>
Why does no one post images of what they're working on in these threads?
>>
>>146224894
Because I'm still learning how not to sketch high octane nightmare fuel monsters. I'm doing you guys a favor.
>>
>>146224894
Some do, but progress is so slow that we couldn't possibly stay up on just work screenshots
>>
>>146225431
We've, what, four or five people working on stuff? It's a pretty low number.
>>
>>146226239
Would you really say 4 or 5?
I'd like to see how many people lurking are actually working on something, because it seems majority of discussions are creative disputes which would assume they engage in that stuff.
>>
>>146206362
They're Twofold now.
>>
>>146226437

There's:

MLanon
Quest Failed anon
Anon who sometimes posts delicious brown girl
HRP devs

And some anons working on yaoijam games, but I can't recall if they have posted progress here.
>>
>>146226437
lurker and dev here
not gonna mention what i work on though
>>
>>146224894
If I posted what I was working on it would have no graphics yet and 50% of people here would try to witch-hunt me

So no thanks
>>
>>146226729
>>146224894
I'm doing something but my reason for not posting stuff is it's a bit early and i'd probably get shit on with what I've currently got.
>>
>>146226437
>>146226729
There are a few lurker devs in active, I can guarantee that.
>>
>>146224894
I have posted before years ago but I don't trust neo evn much.
>>
>>146227096
Tell us newcomers about the wonders of the Golden Age.
>>
>>146227296
he's mostly just bullshitting
/evn/ hasn't really changed much at all
>>
>>146227296
There were no wonders anon but actually more people posting their stuff without anyone calling them out for shilling(Perhaps because almost no one was crowdfunding things?) Even if people were equally harsh and trolls were there to shit on everything.
>>
>>146227687

The problem with shilling is that people now come here, post once, and then disappear forever. (Walkerman, anyone?)
>>
>>146226729
I post here too but I'm not really doing much interesting at the moment, just fucking with GUI
>>
>>146227816
Walkerman dev posted some screencaps once a while way before their campaign. They were never that active to begin with.
>>
>>146226729
I'm working on my first game, but I'm not sure if I'll even put it out. Even if I did I don't want to show anyone what I'm doing.
>>
Would I be allowed to post my shitty first VN here or is that shilling? It's not like it'll cost any money I just want feedback.
>>
>>146070859
How would they have coded the text to get that effect?
>>
>>146229152
Manually. It's hilarious.
>>
>>146227028
I would be one. I know exactly what the reactions would be if I posted here.
>>
>>146230118
What would they be?
>>
>>146218284
8k for my first commercial game. It's a pretty big amount where I live, and it will allow me to live comfortably for about half a year and fund my next project.
>>
File: 0.png (114KB, 407x483px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
114KB, 407x483px
>>146227028
>>146230118
I would be one too, but my progress isn't really big enough to be posting anything interesting. Anyone who has seen my project only has to give it a glimpse to want to shit on it so i'm quiet I guess. Plus, I don't think anyone is interested in my shit since it's too early anyway. I might try to shill later down the line if I think it would gather interest.
>>
File: def3-happy.png (2MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
def3-happy.png
2MB, 2480x3508px
>>146226729
>Anon who sometimes posts delicious brown girl
I'm going to assume you're referring to me.
>>
>>146230795
No. Your taste in brown girls is awful.
>>
>>146231051
Untimely comes this hurt. Give me your arm.
>>
>>146230795
>dat awful boob shading
Jesus christ... who is your artist? Tell them to fix that asap.
>>
File: from a bored guy with a tablet.png (1MB, 2428x2160px) Image search: [Google]
from a bored guy with a tablet.png
1MB, 2428x2160px
It is time for y'all to accept the truth.
>>
>>146228871
Well of course you can, no one's going to stop you. They may or may not care though
>>
>>146231430
Tis better to have shaded and lost. Than never to have shaded at all.
>>
>>146231557
What a cute soft transman.

>>146229152
Lots of ways. You can put images in text, or fake text animations on layers
>>
>>146231685
Inafune-san?
>>
>>146231557
"10/10 more progress than I've made all year" - every dev that isn't me
>>
>>146226729
There's a loli anon too
>>
>>146231865
a loli anon?? details
>>
Anyone here played Hierofania 2?
>>
>>146231051
So they meant brown mummy anon?
>>
>>146230795
You get rekt every time you post. Kind of feels bad, but at the same time I agree with what people have been saying.
>>
>>146232745
What can I say, I'm a huge masochist. I only still post here 'cause I owe this place a debt.
>>
>>146232084
Can't say. I've only seen them in passing a few times, but the art they posted looks alright.
>>
>>146233124
What does the character look like?
>>
>>146232084
Ah, I remember now. It's an anon that used to post in /hgg/ (maybe still does). Seems to be doing most on his own, so progress is slow. iirc, the game was about MC cohabitating with (maybe?) 2 lolis. One of them seemed a bit sadistic, judging from the pic.
>>
>>146233503
She had dark skin, red eyes and purple hair. Overall looked like a bitchy type character. She was kicking something in a CG.
>>
>>146234270
>She was kicking something in a CG.
Looked like it was the MC, while he was laying in bed.
>>
>>146226729
I'm doing a yuri game but I just lurk most of the time.
>>
File: BLABLAA.jpg (466KB, 1155x894px) Image search: [Google]
BLABLAA.jpg
466KB, 1155x894px
Making a Yume Miru Kusuri fangame /headcanon whatever the hell you want to call it.

I'm absolute trash at art stuff, but I write well enough. It's probably garbage compared to others, but I'm hoping to at least do something for those that always wanted to see worst girl get a route, just for the hell of it.
>>
>>146235762
>not making the cut little sister route a reality
You make me sad
>>
>>146235906

Could do, after this, maybe.
>>
>>146232332
I never realized it came out. Guess that's the next game I'm playing.
>>
>>146233552
>One of them seemed a bit sadistic, judging from the pic
>wanting to be dominated by a little girl
is this a thing?
>>
>>146237014
>is this a thing?
Is that even a question?
>>
>>146237014
This post is a joke, right?
>>
>>146230795
muh dick
>>
File: 1456999124404.gif (961KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1456999124404.gif
961KB, 240x180px
>>146237014
>is this a thing?
Of course not, why would anyone want a loli step and tease on their dicks?
>>
>waifubartending.com
>Doesn't have any waifu routes
This is not okay.
>>
what will be the best evn of 2016
>>
>>146239780
Looks like it's going to be a best of the worst episode.
>>
>>146222374
Actually they didn't do what they were supposed to or did crappy work, according to Dani.

Lack of Process

Before the Kickstater, Dischan operated as a group of volunteers and there was very little process. We each had our jobs and we did them at our own pace. I thought we could continue working this way, but it proved not to be the case. Work was completed very slowly and while that would have previously been fine, now it was causing us to lose money.

A few months ago I realized something had to be done, and so I began breaking down the work and creating schedules which I got the team to commit to. Things starting moving a lot more quickly after that, but it caused another problem, which I'll discuss next.
Lack of Quality Control

The problem was that the team started rushing. Mistakes were ignored for the sake of meeting deadlines. The result is that episode 0 neared completion, but still did not qualify as "good". We needed to strike a balance between speed and quality, but we didn't have the time to do it.

We also didn't have any kind of process to guarantee quality. People completed their assigned work and then a box was ticked. We should have implemented a peer review system to ensure that work met our standards before considering it "done". When you're working on your own, it's easy to miss mistakes, after all.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dischan/dysfunctional-systems/posts/1098307
>>
>>146232907
I like your posts, anon. Don't give up your dreams.
>>
>>146240192
if only their team had a dedicated member who could organize things and do quality control

some sort of... manager
>>
>>146226729
>not included
Feels bad man
>>
>>146240602
This is why I'm glad that I have two people on my team that helps out managing stuffs for me. It helps work out the kinks in the gear.

I will never understand people who do KS without proper planning.
>>
awaken
>>
>>146231557
So is he our official mascot now or what?
>>
sssssssssss
>>
>>146240995
Post more work
>>
>https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=39050
>willing to draw BxG
>not willing to draw GxB
what

how does that even
>>
>>146249235
More like they don't want to draw hot dudes but only cute grills.
>>
>>146249235
Their work is pretty nice though.
>>
>>146249320
>what I will not draw
>GxG
don't think so
>>
>>146249320
If that's the case then why not GxG.
>>
>>146249613
>>146249687
Probably homophobic?
>inb4 they will draw BxB
>>
>>146249768
What I'm willing to draw:
-Girls
-I can draw guys too, but I do not draw them often
-BxG

What I will not draw:
-Furries
-Mecha
-backgrounds
-BxB, GxB, GxG

Not just lazy.
>>
>>146249768
Eh. He's malaysian. It's probably a given considering how homophobic/islamic that place is as of late.
>>
>>146249854
So, he's basically willing to draws girls and probably effeminate guys. There you go. Also, on hindsight maybe he's just avoiding drawing gay stuffs because I heard in that part of asia, they could get jail time if caught drawing "malicious", "pornographic" material.

What a pain.
>>
>someone played my game after a year
>rated 3 points out of 5 again
never again a KN
>>
>>146250953
>Kinetic
What's so bad about it?
>>
Rise
>>
File: this fucking cat.jpg (33KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
this fucking cat.jpg
33KB, 565x600px
>tfw you get to the exposition part
>>
>>146256281
AS YOU MAY KNOW
>>
>>146257730
>"The what now?"
>>
What vn trope do you hate the most /evn/?
>>
>>146260689
>muh highschool life
>>
>>146260689
definitely the part where the vn splits apart into a gaping maw to the void

I don't want any trouble
>>
>>146260748
I hate this too. Imho, it's alright to have a teenage cast, but just don't revolve it around highschool and highschool activities.

>>146260689
What I hate most are evns that are trying too hard at being weebs. I'm no tumblr nose fan nor am I an animu hater. I just hate it when they use japanese honorifics and names.
>>
>>146260689
timeloops/"it was all a simulated reality" though t b h EVNs at least don't use it that often
>>
File: 1459789024314.jpg (39KB, 177x284px) Image search: [Google]
1459789024314.jpg
39KB, 177x284px
Dev-kun, where are you? Please reply my e-mail.
>>
>>146261629
Nigga name and shame
>>
>>146261089
>and names
I hate it when people throw in japanese words and honorifics, but I don't really see a problem with names. Maybe it's just me, but if you're already going full weeb with the art, it's a little weird when the girls are named Jessica.
>>
>>146262040
There's a japanese character named Kafuka, Japanese art with engrish/euro names are ok. It's just weird when evns are trying too hard at being "japanese". It would be nice if it's based on an american/euro school, for variety. And if it's japanese, a different time period would be cool, especially if they do research.

Take Emma for an example, the author did proper research about the time period and pulled it off well, despite her being japanese. If western folks do research despite being white, that would be a pretty refreshing take on vn.
>>
>>146262351
Just an explanation on the Kafuka thing, she's based on Kafka. It's cool to see people mixing things up, full on weebness is a no though.
>>
>>146262040
What's wrong with honorifics?
>>
>>146263412
Do you call your sister onee-chan? Do you call your mom okaa-san?
>>
>>146263458
This is a really bad example. I was asking only about honorifics without japanese words.
>>
what about japanese sounding names without all the extra stuff like chan tan san? like if there was a girl named shinobu and a guy named kawasaki.
>>
>>146264027
all depends on the setting
>>
>>146264027
I have no problems with this.
>>
>>146264027
Since Kawasaki is a surname, using it without honorifics doesn't make a lot of sense.
>>
>>146264027
Depends on setting and plot.
>>
>>146263735
Jessica-san, Clarisse-tan? Unless it's a japanese character saying these it's pretty silly.
>>
>>146264060
>>146264656

high fantasy setting with dragons and shit.
>>
>>146249854
The 'no GxB' sounds like 'i will draw A guy if I absolutely have to but I'd prefer him to be faceless and invisi-dicked. no way am i drawing three guys for you to date'
>>
>>146265468
Japanese characters should refer to gaijins with honorifics as well.
>>
>>146265519
eh, if it's oriental, I don't see any issues
>>
>>146249854
Hohohoho, $55 for a fullbody with that quality, i shiggy diggy.
>>
>>146266624
How much do you reckon his art should be?
>>
>>146266695
Honestly, I'd say $25-35. Of course it might take him a long time to do his colors and that, so it's understandable why he might charge that much, but I wouldn't go for that.
>>
>>146266804
Lowballer ahoy. Considering how shit other artists are that are priced around 70 for a full body I think a 90-100 should be fair to this guy.

Then again, minus 30 for not trying to step out of his grill box.
>>
>>146266962
I see where you're coming from, and actually I'll retract my statement, because those over on lemn are overpriced and usually terrible anyway so that guy probably does stand out. You can find much better for a lot cheaper if you spent time looking elsewhere though, I'm just saying.
>>
>>146267067
Tell me where to look then senpai
>>
File: 1234567.jpg (504KB, 993x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1234567.jpg
504KB, 993x1000px
>>146267256
You honestly just need a keen eye and to spend time, literally anywhere else man. I've found great people on pixiv, some of them even under priced to me. Deviantart, despite the shitstain that it is, has quality artists just waiting to be found.
>pic related, $35 at time of asking
>>
>>146267518
Nigga don't be shittin' me. Seriously?
>>
>>146267518
> deviant for 2 months
Pretty sure this is an alt account of some popular artist.
>>
>>146267648
Yup, serious. They have a waiting list now and have gained a few followers, but if you were on the look out when they lacked followers you could have ordered as much as you wanted.
>>146267802
They're some type of asian and used other shit before dA, but i'm just using it as an example - I am not telling you to go there.
>>
>>146267862
>some type of asian

What kind? The slave kind of asian? Or the slave kind of asian?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (218KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
218KB, 1440x1080px
Can someone tell me the 4 different ends to this visual novel? I don't want to have to click through it that many times.
>>
>>146268242
>>>/vn/
>>
>>146268242
What are they sold into? Rape?
>>
>>146268314
Clearly, extreme handholding.
>>
>>146268396
I would purchase one for that purpose. If they can cook for me too, great.
>>
>>146267518
This is a case of just because you can doesn't mean you should. For all the shit talking thrown earlier, about ethics and what not. Now you guys are alright with ripping off good artists? Come on now.
>>
>>146270394

> ripping off

I'm all for paying fair prices, but we don't know what factors in a person's prices. What if that only takes them 30min? What if they have low prices so they can get more work? What if they live in a place with a very week usd conversion, so for them that IS a fair price?
>>
>>146270394
It's a matter of context. I charge the lowest any full-time professional in my area does and am full of achievements, to the point of working for world-class companies in gaming. I can afford to charge that and work with indies because of where I live. I will have to up my rates significantly and change my customer base as a result of that once I move to a first-world country. Right now I don't.

It's not always about "fair". The freelancer decides the base price, and the market decides whether their work is worth pursuing for that price or not. If I put my rates at 4x what I ask now, I probably would still get clients, but they wouldn't be the same kind of clients. Right now this works for me.
>>
>>146271357
>but they wouldn't be the same kind of clients

I think most people forget this. Places like tumblr like to tell artists that they should charge professional rates, but you have to be realistic. If your client base is between 15-20 you could be Michelangelo himself, you still wouldn't be getting 500usd per image.
>>
>>146270854
>>146271357
You also have to factor in a passion for doing what they do. I've come across artists who just want to draw something and insist you give them whatever you can (and these were pretty pro artists, I don't scout beginners). Do I feel a bit guilty? Yeah, but if they don't care that's up to them.

You can't fault the client either. If an artist prices their stuff low and the client pays their stated price, that is the artists fault. I always ask the artist for their price, I never negotiate, but some people just don't charge much it's just how it is.
>>
>>146271519
>500 usd
>That jump from 35 and 55

No one said that. Just saying, that 35 is a bit too low for decent work like that.
>>
>>146271604
I think he is referring to all the shitty articles of late that tell artists to charge significant prices an hour and to set quite a high amount as your "living expenses" to justify it. It's just not reasonable to do that in the current market.
>>
>>146271559
The idea of tipping for the extra work they put into the image might be a good idea. It could also inspire people to do better works too. Sometimes artists purposely lowball themselves and it's just too painful to watch sometimes. Personally I make it a rule of mine to add 20-30 usd if they did good on my commission.

We're talking about going the extra mile here. Like once, I requested an artist to do a simple fullbody of my character sitting in a park. That commission got popular quick and that landed her more commissions. Plus I got quality work in return. I'm not saying that all artists should get 500 usd. Just that giving them a little extra if they do a great work (and if their price is too low), is just the right thing to do.
>>
>>146271845
I am all for tipping and I do send a bit extra when I feel it's too good to be that low, but just don't plant your views on everyone. Respecting what the artist asks for is the number one priority people need to do instead of giving them their minuscule budget and asking them to lower themselves.
>>
>>146252569
People think a vn has to have choices and that they're inferior/not worth as much if they don't. It's not just about the story though, people think anything with romance has to have multiple romance options. Some people by default will not like the one romance option in a kn, so giving them at least several choices will increase the chance of them liking at least one of them and becoming invested in your story.
>>
>>146272092
Why does everyone assume there has to be romance, let alone romance choices, though?
>>
>>146272524
The west has come to associate vns with dating sims. They typically sell more and if a game does have romance, people want the interactivity of making choices and want a heroine that's their type. It makes sense to have more than one romance option.

Look at Highway Blossoms, it's a kn with a fixed love interest, but a very frequent complain was that Mariah wasn't a romance option, because people found her hotter and more their type than Marina.
>>
>>146260689
Dominant girl becomes submissive in a relationship
>>
>>146272816
Highway Blossoms is still selling more than many dating sims. People always complain
>>
>>146274286
They shilled it everywhere. I've seen articles all over yuri and LGBT sites.

They're definitely marketed way more than Sekai does just about anything they release.
>>
>>146274097
this is the worst. THE WORST

I especially hate when I'm reading a femdom doujin or something and halfway through the girl is overpowered. Ruins everything
>>
>>146274097
I love this in yuri though. It's just so adorable when the dominant girl is overwhelmed by an overly feminine girl. HNGGGGGG.
>>
>>146274286
It's not a matter of people complaining. It's a matter of what would make the game better and people have consistently given feedback that Mariah should've been romanceable, which was also told to devs months before release when people first saw her design. It's a tease to include such a character and not have them as an option.
>>
>>146274286
It did okay, but it's not a smash hit or anything.

> 1,994 ± 1,124

I'm curious how it'll do when the Steam Summer Sale starts tomorrow.
>>
>>146275147
That's in less than a week, still close enough to launch that steamspy is probably heavily underestimating, more than usual. It's not a smash hit but it's better than okay. (Yes, I know those numbers aren't reliable, but I have some practice in reading them.)
>>
>>146275290
They really hyped it up for launch, but that hype will die down during the Steam sale and with many more games coming out soon. Umineko question arcs come out in 2 weeks as does the yuri JVN that was going to crush Highway Blossoms at launch until it was delayed.

>I know those numbers aren't reliable, but I have some practice in reading them.
They're not really reliable, maybe a ballpark at most. To say you can read them is nonsense.
>>
>>146275731
>To say you can read them is nonsense.
I don't mean 'I can look at their ballpark and tell you exactly how much they've sold' because obviously no. What I meant is more 'I'm familiar with the shape of what a launch usually looks like in their numbers and can make some guesses about the later performance it predicts.'
>>
noobs
>>
>>146278519
Tsk Tsk YES I AM
>>
>>146278912
HELL 2 U
>>
File: My-Little-Kitties-Screen01.jpg (93KB, 799x480px) Image search: [Google]
My-Little-Kitties-Screen01.jpg
93KB, 799x480px
>>
File: 26861.jpg (216KB, 1280x760px) Image search: [Google]
26861.jpg
216KB, 1280x760px
>>
>>146282134
Is there one for pc?
>>
>>146282134
Koreaboo
>>
File: BOkxjeC.jpg (66KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
BOkxjeC.jpg
66KB, 600x900px
>>146282530
You called?
>>
>>146282830
Mmmm made for breading.
>>
>>146284351
>breading
Tonkatsu for marriage?
>>
File: 928.jpg (78KB, 280x335px) Image search: [Google]
928.jpg
78KB, 280x335px
>>146284351
Well, that's questionable.
>>
>The Orchard of Stray Sheep releases
>Multiple endings but same length
>Same price as Highway Blossoms
How do these guys actually price things?
>>
>>146285169
same length, same price, what's the problem?
>>
>>146285228
I mean more in regards to translation. How is a fully translated game $10 but their kickstarters to translate games are usually more expensive than making a complete game from scratch? Especially for things like Witchboy Magical whatever, which is also (supposedly) the same length.
>>
>>146285681
translating from japanese is expensive as fuck + license fees.
>>
>>146285982
Exactly what I mean? Wasn't Stray Sheep expensive and didn't they need to pay for the licensing?
>>
>>146285681
one is shit and the other isn't
I don't care if you're making it from scratch if yours is shit
>>
>>146285681
>usually more expensive than making a complete game from scratch
Because the westerners making games from scratch are putting them together with twigs, gum, and sub-minimum wage work

Stray Sheep is a doujin title, not a company production
>>
fuck summer in its absurdly hot and sweaty anus
>>
>>146288882
sweet sweat loli asshole in summer
>>
>>146262351
But what if I like Japanese names?
>>
>>146291767
Then buy a Japanese game you weeb
>>
>>146292029
I meant I like using them.
>>
>>146262351
>It would be nice if it's based on an american/euro school, for variety.
There are tons of EVNs based in American/Euro schools. If you want actual variety, put your game in Africa or India or something.
Except no one wants to play that.
>>
so sekai put out the new grisaia game, too. i think that answers the steam sale not really being a factor.
>>
>>146292615
Alternately that they were desperate to get everything released before the summer sale because even if your game has just come out, the summer sale is a Big Deal that you don't want to miss
>>
>>146292140
Buy a japanese game and enjoy using Japanese names to refer to your waifu.s
>>
>>146272816
>>146274620
I keep seeing people that want to romance Mariah, but why? When I played through it she felt like a bitch most of the time.
>>
>>146293510
Because she's hot, obviously.
>>
let's make an evn together!
>>
>>146295763
> 10 years later, the project is officially dead.
>>
File: choices.jpg (498KB, 1154x886px) Image search: [Google]
choices.jpg
498KB, 1154x886px
Is there a way to move where the choices are? I'd like to play around with some positioning.
>>
>>146293510
Implying some people don't love tsundere bitches. Plus >>146294112. I really liked the scene when she knocked sense into Amber too.
>>
>>146297404
Yes, there are many ways. You can do all sorts of things. Up, down, wiggling, fading in, sliding in...
>>
>https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39074

Skulls for the skull throne!
>>
Previous thread exploded before I could save that tileset guideline image.

Could someone post it again?
>>
>Order of Ataxia: Initial Effects, IDHAS Studios's latest fantasy visual novel, will be out July 19th!
>>
>>146301515
I hope that will be successful enough to feed his dog.
>>
I hate literally everything
>>
>>146301694
I think it was a cat. Cat probably killed him at this point.
>>
>>146303564
Thank goodness. At least one of them will not starve.
>>
>>146300603
dudes in GxB games all look terrible
>>
>>146305595
Nah, that's just the artist. Guys are passable but not really hott.
>>
>>146307832
A lot of otome games do struggle to do a more rugged/muscular character in their artstyle, though. The best they can manage, often, is drawing a few stray lines for wrinkles and stubble to create a haggard ojisan.

For a proper range of appeal to women, you need your innocent wide-eyed sweet boy, your sharp dangerous villain, AND your strong protector.
>>
>>146303289
How dare you? I'm the very best hater in the world! Not gonna be one-upped by sum random upstart in an anonymous cardboard. Delet this or face unholy retribution!
>>
>>146300603
> not actually a Warhammer vn

well then.
>>
>>146308671
Yeah that. Tzeentch is disappointed.
>>
>>146308289
What about the m'lady shut-in fatboy?
>>
>>146309353
Women are perfectly fine with the "my lady", it just needs to come from a properly attractive knight in shining armor.
>>
>>146301515
How's Rising Angels: Fates doing these days?
>>
>>146311235
It's a massive monster that no sane developer would have undertaken.
>>
>>146311419
Are there sane EVN developers?
>>
Yuri incest incoming.

>Synopsis for Razz's upcoming game

>The story follows Iris, a girl who learns that her younger sister is transferring to her school, and will be living with her for the rest of the semester. Even though she has never met her sister before, Iris is determined to make up for lost time by becoming friends, and more importantly, to show off her dependable nature as the older sister of the household.

>Unfortunately for Iris, however, things don't go as planned.

>Zoey, Iris's younger sister, is a tall young woman who isn’t afraid to ditch class and badmouth others. Zoey shows little respect for authority, especially when it comes to her "older sister's" attempts to play nice. And if things couldn't get any worse, a confusing sexual tension blooms between them...

>Your choices will determine the direction the story takes, with several different endings available. Will you choose to foster these budding feelings of forbidden romance? Or will you seek nothing more than friendship from your long-lost sister?

>>>/u/2077314
Information is supposed to be from Razz's patreon.
>>
>>146311419
what's insane about it specifically?
>>
File: LoveRibbon.jpg (128KB, 1024x479px) Image search: [Google]
LoveRibbon.jpg
128KB, 1024x479px
>>146313560
Love Ribbon GOTY
>>
>>146313817
The scale of it vs the size of the team. He might have the experience, but it is still more than one writer should undertake.
>>
>>146314393
I thought those massive wordcounts he gives out are for the Rising Angels series as a whole, not Fates specifically.
>>
>>146314393
>scale of it
how big is the scale? Does it have 10 routes or something? a million words?

i'm not fucking with you i'm just curious. i rarely see anything useful about the RA series aside from the dev is apparently starving to death with a sick dog.
>>
>>146314604
In his updates, those were just for Fates. I think he's several hundred thousand words into the script and just getting to work on the investigation scenes. Last time I heard in the Hyperspace Forums chat, it had over 50 backgrounds and 100 CG with variants so far. It's going to be the funniest thing in the world when nobody buys it.

>>146314807
It's an investigation game with 7 or 8 routes. It has two protagonists that run parallel to each other.
>>
>>146315409
>It's going to be the funniest thing in the world when nobody buys it.

Think of the dog/cat!
>>
>>146313560
I hope they don't pull a "surprise we're actually not related" reveal.
>>
>>146316104
How about if they're only half sisters?
>>
>>146316261
That's okay, and honestly makes more sense for the plot than full sisters -- how have they never met if they share the same parents and are around the same age?
>>
>>146315409
Zuri's route is supposed to be free, while the other routes are in the commercial version of the game.

>>146315409
I'm starting to get worried about what the commercial version is going to cost. I really want to play Kika's route, but the game might be really expensive.

Him offering the Zuri route free could be a bad idea, since people could play a single route and decide they don't want to play the full version of the game.
>>
>>146316505
Parents divorced when they were super young and they don't remember each other, or the delinquent is the daughter of a mistress that the father had an affair with or an ex-lover.
>>
>>146316780
>or the delinquent is the daughter of a mistress that the father had an affair with or an ex-lover.
That's a half-sister, though. Right?
>>
>>146316582
$15. He's already said he isn't expecting to come anywhere close to breaking even. The Zuri free route was because he wanted people who played Reborn for free to continue the story still. Good guy.

All the sister talk is making me wonder if we can pressure him into doing an incest route.
>>
>>146317092
Starvation can't pressure the guy into anything. Do you really think you can convince him of anything he doesn't really want to do?
>>
>>146316978
Yes, I just throwing out ideas for how the sisters had never met before.
>>
>>146316780
>Parents divorced when they were super young and they don't remember each other
aka the parent trap
>>
>>146317223
I am now wondering if somewhere in the depths of AO3 there is a fandom eagerly slashing Hayley Mills with Hayley Mills.
>>
>>146317092
The game is already going to be massive and a loss for him financially, are you trying to kill him?
>>
>>146317374
Apparently not for the Hayley Mills version, but there are a couple of twincest stories for the Lindsey Lohan version.
>>
>>146315921
Cat, I checked.

>Last time I heard in the Hyperspace Forums chat, it had over 50 backgrounds and 100 CG with variants so far. It's going to be the funniest thing in the world when nobody buys it.

I'm not sure that makes sense. Surely, you don't need to have half as many backgrounds as you do CGs. But then again: what the hell? That's a load of CGs!
>>
>>146318938
The characters are traveling across the universe and, so I'd expect a high BG count, unless you want to see a ton of recycled BGs throughout the game.
>>
has anyone played RA to figure out what's going on? i thought it was a school sim set in space with catgirls

there has been two releases already right? why aren't they having space battles yet?
>>
>>146320051
>has anyone played RA
Believe me, I've tried. It just bores me to death within 30 minutes every time.
>>
File: HeirsAndBraces.jpg (74KB, 209x295px) Image search: [Google]
HeirsAndBraces.jpg
74KB, 209x295px
>>
>>146320146
Same. I tried to play The Red Rose and it was just character after character after character introduction and I couldn't give a fuck about any of them.

Except for Yoi. I really wanted to punch her in the face.
>>
>>146320215
THE game to play with your dad :D
>>
>>146320215
>this game doesn't do well
>WW twitter: "it's because it didn't have gameplay elements!"
>>
>>146320051
Because you can do more in space than just have space battles and fuck catgirls. It reminded me more of an episode of Star Trek than Star Wars.
>>
>>146320462
did you play both releases? are they in a school or what's going on?
>>
>>146320051
>thought it was a school sim set in space with catgirls
Hope is, but it's a space military academy.

Reborn is after the characters are a part of the federation's army. It feels more like Star Trek.

Fates is after they desert the military due to moral issues and it becomes about investigations and intrigue. Oh, and everyone can die and you can doom the universe too.
>>
>>146320513
It's two different stories. There's one in a school that plays like similar to most school story VNs and then there is the one in space where they're chasing down adventure. The space one is the free one.
>>
>>146320460
Oh winterwolves, he means so well, and he seems like a nice guy most of the time but... he should seriously hire somebody with a tiny bit of management skills.
>>
>>146320386
Reborn was meant to be the reboot of the RA series. It's free so you could give it a try to see if it's any better. It's basically just the prologue to Fates though, so the story isn't going to be resolved in it.
>>
>>146320715
honestly i think if he was just not put in charge of picking artwork, at all, everything would sort itself out.
>>
>>146320215
Braces do miracles
>>
>>146320994

This. He has a very bad eye for art. I think his only decent artists are Deiji, Adryn and whoever did Loren.
>>
File: OYRip2m.jpg (552KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
OYRip2m.jpg
552KB, 800x600px
>>
>>146316104
Unless it's the Citrus manga in VN form.
>>
>>146300603
>Asstaroth
Heh.
>>
>>146314195
>Citrus the vn
Now with giraffe necks!
>>
Which is better, Highway Blossoms or Sakura Dungeon?
>>
>>146329495
Sakura Blossoms
>>
>>146329495
idk how you'd even compare them because they're so different.
>>
>>146330109
Sakura Blossoms is the touching story of Ai on a roadtrip in her RV. With it she travels across Japan to see the sites and bed every cute girl she comes across along the way. Also, it has memes out the ass.
>>
>>146330403
They're very comparable. Both had MCs that did annoying things to their love interest and both wanted to fuck every cute girl they came across. The only difference is that Amber had restraint once she was with her love interest.
>>
>>146299906

Hilarious!

How do I do that, then?
>>
>>146317092
$15 for something that's several full novels long with that crazy amount of artwork? That's undervaluing the work and hopefully won't become what people use as a benchmark for what vns should cost.
>>
/evn/ jam when
>>
>>146333641
Never. Everyone is too busy with their own shit. And even if we manage to put scrap ideas together, bitterness and jelly will get in the way.
>>
>>146333231
It's drastically undervaluing it, but who is going to buy the full version anyway?
>>
>>146333231
>undervaluing
>benchmark
newsflash: no one but you gets to define what your shit is worth and if people don't buy it, it won't be because of what other novels cost but because they just don't think yours is worth spending money on
>>
>>146335496
People who want Sol, Kika, and Faye routes among others. Zuri is the only love interest in the free version.
>>
>>146336080
So nobody is what you are saying.
>>
>>146336080
Wouldn't there have to be another one since there are two protagonists?
>>
>>146336224
People usually want more than one love interest. And the paid version has a fox girl.
>>
>>146339296
Yoi is her sister's romantic interest in the free version. Natalie's sister is the one who can romance Faye in the paid version.
>>
>>146331305
Try examining the choice screen
>>
>>146339308
Two fox girls and a wolf girl for the yuri audience. Further proof his cat killed him and took over.
>>
>>146340726
I thought Kika was a cat, while Alexei was the fox. And yes, Faye's the wolf.
>>
>>146340846
Sol just calls her a housecat as a terrible attempt at endearment.
>>
File: GoodJobChief.png (106KB, 867x525px) Image search: [Google]
GoodJobChief.png
106KB, 867x525px
>>146341096
Sol's dialog is amazing. Pic related.
>>
>>146341376
>Caninegirls
>No fangs

Jesus
Christ
>>
We need more vampire yuri
>>
File: cliff.jpg (329KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
cliff.jpg
329KB, 1366x768px
>>146341874
They still look okay.

>>146342806
And they should be like Kohaku from Aoishiro and drink the blood from breasts.
>>
>>146343189
>They still look okay.
Okay is definitely the right word.
>>
Hope almost sunk IDHAS Studios.

http://www.idhasstudios.com/?p=777
>>
Speaking of flops, C14 Dating looks like it didn't sell well. I'm rather surprised.
>>
>>146344506
Dating sims need porn to be successful now.
>>
>>146344506
There are people buying directly through the WW page, I think.

>>146344215
I have no idea why but there's absolutely 0 hype surrounding these games.

I know /u/ is upset about something in an earlier game but the doesn't explain why they're ignored that much. If HB can get coverage practically everywhere, I don't see why RA can't.
>>
>>146342806
Can't argue with that.
>>
>>146344215
i want to feel bad, but i also don't. so many poor business choices that could have been avoided. Hope was an episodic game for no reason, and in the very short time it took to complete the game installments he charged full price for, no one actually cared about it anymore. his other game was divided into pay for routes despite being on pc and not some cheap google store mobage. this is on top of them being a confusing franchise of sequels and prequels, which seem to be increasingly expensive money holes. do those games and work on your baby when you're financially stable, not when you're writing about starving.

>>146344878
there's not some huge conspiracy theory. hb had a pretty aggressive marketing campaign. it's easily sekai project's most promoted evn title, and they covered their bases with anyone who would bother talking up an evn. the RA dev doesn't seem to market at all outside of his website, even when he has an uphill battle with a sci-fi franchise vs a standalone yuri roadtrip.

tl:dr i can't feel bad for the guy whose foot got infected after he shot it
>>
Do memes sell in evns?
>>
>>146346616
Ask the HB devs. It seems to be working out for them.
>>
>>146346616
It might, but you have a price to pay as well. Dignity and shame.
>>
anyone played solstice?
>>
Has there been any decent evn that used Live2D properly?
>>
>>146351814
None so far. Also, almost all games that have it looks like shit. It's so unnecessary, that and it's too much work for a sprite.
>>
>>146313560
>>146314195
What's the point of making it incest if they don't even remotely look like they're related?
>>
>>146355609
That's how it's always been anon. Look up Candy Boy

I noticed that a lot of people dislike Sakura games. Why? Is there something wrong with how they deliver?
>>
>>146351814
not really
>>
Tell me about your chinese flip books /evn/
>>
>>146362151
they are making me feel like an abject failure and like I should just kill myself already! :DDDD
>>
>>146323303
>Adryn
Who's that?
>>
>>146362286
>not killing yourself already
Step it up senpai!
>>
>>146362151
In essence it's about settling if all crows are black or not.
>>
>>146168743

Is this thread where I go to discuss VA-11 Hall-A
Because holy shit I need to talk about it
>>
>>146364127
go on champ
>>
File: tumblr_o8pp1jVgYy1tw77coo1_1280.jpg (55KB, 581x637px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8pp1jVgYy1tw77coo1_1280.jpg
55KB, 581x637px
>>146364176
I think I'm going crazy anon
How did a memegame about bartending and waifus turn out to be my favourite game of 2016

I'M GOING TO MARRY JILL
>>
File: wake up.gif (2MB, 429x241px) Image search: [Google]
wake up.gif
2MB, 429x241px
>>
VN about >>146366886 when?
>>
>>146368475
>VN about speciecist genocidal Castlevania toku heroes in romantic triangles
would probably be better than Kiva was as a show too
>>
So because the new grisaia on steam is a port of the vita version, and using a different engine, we won't ever get an 18+ patch?
>>
>>146369369
That's more a /vn/ question
>>
>>146362554
the artist working on undead lily.
>>
>>146370370
>lily
So it's a yuri game then?
>>
>>146370424
it's GxG/B.
>>
>>146369870
That would be an ecumenical matter.
>>
>>146371473
I could never rewatch that show after learning the actor who played Ted died after filming the last episode.
>>
>>146371939
And that it was probably the fault of the last episode's antics, too.
>>
>>146371939
what the fuck, apparently Frank Kelly died this year too
thanks 2016, I hope I'm next
>>
>>146372120
Don't forget to donate your wealth to /evn/
>>
>>146371473

YES!
>>
itt: brits nerd out
>>
>>146346589
>divided into pay for routes despite being on pc and not some cheap google store mobage

It is a demo and a full version, not a pay for routes.

>the RA dev doesn't seem to market at all outside of his website

From what I gathered, he tried to get attention with other sites and was ignored. It raises the biggest question though of what does Sekai actually do? I get their little newsletters and they never once mentioned him. I mean, the original topic here was the fantasy boob game coming out in a month and nothing there as well. Either they are incompetent or they hate this guy and have no professionalism.
>>
File: maria_sebastian.jpg (368KB, 2008x1250px) Image search: [Google]
maria_sebastian.jpg
368KB, 2008x1250px
Posting progress. (Yes, I know his hand looks weird. I've told the artist to fix it).
>>
>>146374314
Right eye is bigger too.
>>
>>146346589
RA isn't really confusing, Hope is Faye and co's academy years, Reborn is when they're part of the military, and Fates is the direct sequel to Reborn. If you're not a big fan of school settings and since the game has a new protag starting with Reborn, you could probably skip reading Hope entirely.

He wants to release Zuri's route for Fates for free as a favor to fans who played Reborn, which was also a free game, since that's the main romance started in that game. The paid version for $15 is all the routes and a very long and asset heavy VN. I agree that it's confusing to offer an entire character route for free, but it's what he's decided to do.
>>
Any good evns come out recently or are set to come out soon?
>>
>>146374314

Looks fun. What's the project?

It reminds me of a book on cartooning I read once, though, where the author argued that using a ruler for everything can make things feel flat and lifeless. I guess it's hard to tell how much your artist will change, and how much coloring will help, but it does all feel a bit... square.
>>
>>146379041
MINE(tm)
>>
>>146379041
How soon is soon? If it's the next 10 years then you're in luck, my project will reach beta after 9 more years!
>>
>>146379658
How about good evns that are supposed to be released by the end of the year, since we're already about half way through 2016?
>>
summer sale's about to hit, so you can buy your EVNs cheaper
>>
>>146380408
>already about half way through 2016
Goddamit anon, why do you have to remind me?
>>
>>146381042
You still have time to revolutionize the medium.
>>
>>146381302
Can NTR revolutionize evns?
>>
>>
>>
>>146381416
Yes.
>>
>>146381416
Gods, I hope not.
Unless you mean it as way to sink incautious studios and teach the survivors a valuable lesson.
>>
Anything good I can consume in bed on android?
>>
>>146381416
You need to make the evn version of this.

https://vndb.org/v10112
>>
>>146382468
Everlasting Summer is free and I think has an android version. The English translation has a lot of typos and bad grammar, though.
>>
>>146383036
>how to trigger /u/ in 5 seconds or less
>>
>>146383802
If the guys fails to win the girl back, then it's /u/'s dream.

You should ask IDHAS for advice on how to trigger /u/. They have never forgiven him and even after releasing Hope to atone they still don't trust his work. It's like they have some major paranoia regarding him.
>>
>>146381704

I would make that face if I was in Driftwood too. Is that game still alive?
>>
>>146384941
At least he didn't murder a cat.
>>
>>146385491
Who murdered a cat in their evn?
>>
>>146385891
A SHILL! A SHILL! GET HIM! HISSSS!
>>
>>146386813
Sometimes it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself
>>
>>146385491
I completely forgot about that. How many threads has it been since animal murdering?
>>
>Going in to Highway Blossoms, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Despite this, it wasn’t long before I entrusted my time to the characters, enjoying both the physical and emotional ride that they were taking. Yes, you can see how most situations are going to pan out, but it’s negated through the title’s personality and charm. So, if you’re looking for a quiet romance between two cute girls, you’ve come to the right place.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/highway-blossoms-review/
>>
>>146388519
>if you’re looking for a quiet romance between two cute girls

I remember it being full of loud memes and over the top drama that dragged on, so I don't know where he's getting quiet romance from.
>>
>>146388692
the best part about evns is we don't really have any hard/critical reviewers (unless you're a nukige)

so im pretty confident that i will get 11/10's across the board
>>
Highway Blossoms is a decent VN with some obvious issues, but I don't understand the rave reviews it's been getting.

Did it attract an audience that doesn't typically play VNs? The LGBT sites I've seen makes me think this could be part of the cause.

Or are yuri fans so desperate that something decent is suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.

The third option that that not setting your VN in Japan and having memes are major selling points. And overall good art helps too.
>>
>>146389035
Where's JP when you need him?
>>
>>146389241
Bribery and massive pushing on Sekai Project's part. This is what happens if a publisher actually is invested in your game and makes an effort.

/u/ fans who've played other EVNs that have come out this year are less impressed. (I haven't seen anyone actually hate it, but they're not raving about how great it is either.)
>>
If JP ends up playing Highway Blossoms he needs to use the ero patch, since the second scene is one that's been brought up as one of the odd/off things about the game.
>>
>>146390321
Think the Steam reviews are a bit questionable too? The massive flood of them so quickly was weird and a number of them are people who don't usually leave reviews.
>>
>>146389506
>implying he won't gargle alienworks balls after all the press HB has been getting
>>
>>146391290
We Know the Devil got good reviews and press and he said it was shallowly written.
>>
>>146390578
Eh. Not necessarily, a brief burst of enthusiastic reviewing is common with a hyped project. Very few people review all or even most of the games they buy, and people who buy into hype are more likely to post a fast yay. (You also tend to get all the beta-testers posting enthusiastically right when a game first launches.)

I'm not paranoid to pick over their reviews looking for suspicious ones. Besides, the time when people are most likely to be desperate enough to buy fraudulent reviews is when they have almost no reviews to start with. One negative review out of the gate is harsh.

Didn't SP dump the japanese developers who got caught review fiddling? I don't think they'd dare do it themselves.
>>
>>146391445
WKTD personally offended his religion, he was never going to give it a positive review.
>>
>>146391502
When does hype start typically dying down? A few weeks? Whenever something else catches peoples interest?
>>
>>146391842
I'd say a combination of how much there's to discuss + a new, similar release.
>>
>>146391290

He already greatly enjoyed the HRP demo.

Take of that what you will.
>>
>>146392215
Basically, when Nurse Love Addiction comes out in 2 weeks.
>>
>>146391624
>Tell me, why doesn't Jupiter, Venus or Neptune try to save one another? For all of the time they spend with each other and sharing personal stories, they never actively try to save each other from being possessed by the Devil before the True Ending. Yet they were all such good friends, so why?

Well, the answer to that one is obvious. They can't try to save each other because if they did, they would have to be help each other come to terms with their issues before the Devil even shows up; whether it be with their sexuality, gender, or the rules of society. As far as the game is concerned this is fine, because it allows for the True Ending to happen. However, it also comes at a cost: creating a cycle of bringing these issues up, everyone involved saying it sucks and then moving on to the next vignette. Because they aren't allowed to grow, all three remain stunted in terms of character and unable to do more than ruminate in their conflicted natures. It's an empty shell: a zero sum. It doesn't go any deeper than a kiddie pool because Aevee Bee and her friends invested the true weight of the story in the True Ending of the story.

'BUT JP,' One might say. 'All of these people can dig so deeply into the narrative! You must be wrong!' Nope, because it isn't the narrative they're digging into: it's their own heads. Remember, every character shows a bit of themselves in each vignette. This is done not only so that the audience can identify with them, but so that they can fill in the blanks of their characterization. Many who've played this game have felt alone. They've felt that they were never good enough. They've hated the world and those who enforce societal norms. And because they have and haven't forgotten what they felt, they imprint those feelings onto Jupiter, or Venus, or Neptune; or all three.

Boom: artificial depth.

>JP response to a WKTD about the game's depth'
>>
Apparently I'm not the only one who disliked the drama in Highway Blossoms.

>The angst is... mildly infuriating, but necessary for the amazing scenes it leads to.

>Was also pretty good except for that one bit where the MC was a in dumbass

Then there's the positive reviews.

>Between otaku-pandering Japanese productions and amateur OEL wannabes, there's a lot of trash in the visual novel genre. Plenty of gems, too, but wading through the refuse to find one is an art in itself.

>Highway Blossoms is one of those exceptions.

>Played though it, was super cool. Suggested it to a lesbian friend, now everyone in my friend circle is playing it and talking about the story.

>I got the game via Family Sharing (for free), but that's not an important factor as to the enjoyment of the game and my review...This was my first Visual Novel ever, and I'm glad to have set such a high standard for the genre.
>>
>>146379317

Monstrous Lovers.

I assume you mean the background? Yeah, the artist blurs them a bit to give focus to the characters, so I understand not wanting to draw them freehand.
>>
File: eyeroll.gif (2MB, 352x217px) Image search: [Google]
eyeroll.gif
2MB, 352x217px
>>146393638
>Between otaku-pandering Japanese productions and amateur OEL wannabes, there's a lot of trash in the visual novel genre. Plenty of gems, too, but wading through the refuse to find one is an art in itself.
>>
File: dragonfeet.png (237KB, 520x442px) Image search: [Google]
dragonfeet.png
237KB, 520x442px
what do you think a dragon's foot/claws/whatever might feel like, /evn/? I bet it's nice and warm

also if these are getting too lewd to post, even spoilered and censored let me know and I'll stop
>>
>>146396629
But they're cold blooded animals.

Also
>too lewd
>>
>>146396629
what is this

pls respond
>>
>>146396629
Probably the same as a lizard. I guess this is your chance to go fondle some reptiles for research.
>>
I think HB is a pretty good baseline for evns. The writing and art is par, and there's technical stuff like the journal and intro movie. I don't think anyone is expecting a masterpiece out of a yuri kn.

It's just a shame that it's going to be completely forgotten when my vn revolutionizes the genre and makes me into a multi-millionaire.
>>
>>146379041
Hierofania 2 is out
>>
fuck her right in the persay
>>
File: I've lost control of my life.webm (329KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
I've lost control of my life.webm
329KB, 320x320px
>>146402196
>people who right 'per say' instead of 'per se'
>>
>>146402542
In sé e per sé.

Pet peeve.

Salame.

Secret code for cousin.
>>
>>146402542
did the dog die?
>>
File: ClpvTBrUkAI3V81.jpg (76KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
ClpvTBrUkAI3V81.jpg
76KB, 800x539px
Apparently Hope is 50% off during the Steam sale.

Save a cat or a dog. We don't know.
>>
>>146402542
>people who write 'right' instead of 'write'
>>
>>146403341
>people who write 'write' instead of 'right'
>>
>>146403341
I blame it on quoting someone who had typed 'right'
>>
>>146396629
>she got claws
>not gripping the D
Anon, if you are going to make a monster girl game please exploit the fact they are not normal girls. I hope there is a CG variation there.
>>
File: dragonfoot.png (144KB, 480x416px) Image search: [Google]
dragonfoot.png
144KB, 480x416px
>>146405301
My CGs all have various stages to them, it's all good.

It alternates between two parts of lifting her foot up, and then pressing it back down to simulate stomping. She grips him between her claws since I think they're so big compared to him if she tried any other way she might just rip the whole thing off.

Also as a side note my itch.io page is getting traffic from the russian version of 4chan from the looks of things. I-I hope they enjoy it.
>>
>>
>>146313560
>she has never met her sister
Why do people do this? It ruins the whole appeal of incest.
>>
>>146408042
Is it lewd in whatever world they are to hold tails?
>>
>>146408535
It is low level lewd. I wonder if the new one is going to have any real lewdness.
>>
>>146408442
It doesn't ruin the whole appeal, it ruins your personal version of the kink. There are plenty of people who are into the angst where genuine attraction to a stranger is mixed with the taboo of incest. Tons of stories at the very least have the related characters separated for a long time before they meet and get turned on.

True family sex probably hits a lot more people's squick buttons because they can't sympathise with it, or understand why those feelings would suddenly appear in a normal sibling relationship without some weird shenanigans to tip them over the edge (like accidental sex when they thought they were sleeping with someone else, or whatever)

Or, I suppose, if only one sibling suddenly has inappropriate feelings, freaks out, and tries to isolate themselves from their family (cue a lot of Elsanna fanfic)
>>
>>146409735
Fair enough. To me incest just isn't any fun if on a mental level they may as well not even be related. Yuri incest in such a case has even less impact since there's no drama about potential retard babies. I guess I like the darker side of incest, it's hot because it's completely fucked up and both parties know it. In this case it isn't even really wrong, and will just cause some rather pointless angst.
>>
>>146409735
And on the lighter side I prefer something like Candy Boy, something light and fluffy about "siblings so close they fall into a sweet pure love" that completely ignores the reality of incest. Yuri VNs usually gloss over the "oh shit I'm a dyke" issues so it's not that much of a leap.
>>
>>146411563
>Yuri VNs usually gloss over the "oh shit I'm a dyke" issues
that's because the yuri genre has such a history of using that as a major crutch for storytelling and drama. it's old and busted.

candy boy did not ignore the reality of incest though. the dark haired one was in agony many times over her fantasies about her sister.
>>
>>146412345
I'm glad they do, like you said it's old and busted to the point of being boring. And I don't mean the characters as much as the tone. Even though the dark haired girl worries about her sister lust it's mostly for humor and the show portrays their relationship as cute and sweet.
>>
Time to go find me some cheap EVNs on sale!
>>
>>146403079
At least he realizes what a marketable character that Kika is.
>>
>>146416651
and leave insightful reviews such as "10/10 boobs"
>>
Well, well. We actually ran out of posts.
Now we can die in peace.
>>
>>146414803
Or find them for free on torrent websites.
>>
>>146417029
this is why we can't have nice things
and our dogs starve
>>
Is it a good or bad idea to sell niche fetish eroge?
>>
>>146417029
who torrents indie games?
>>
>>146417409
Quite a lot of people.
>>
>>146417341
It's a bad idea to expect much of an answer while we're saging out. Why not make a new thread?
>>
>>146417409

Visual novels aren't games so that question is a fallacy.
>>
someone pls we're about to die
but not me
>>
>>146418135
Last time I tried, NoScript ate my new thread. Even deactivated, that thing is something else.
>>
>>146418135
I am an agent of death who waits to reap the whirlwind. It won't be me.
>>
I'm too shy to make a new thread
>>
>>146418639
Your anon, so no reason to be shy. Just copy this thread's OP.
>>
>>146418859
If I see even one (embed) you're fucking done.
>>
Just let it die. None of you deserve to post here anyway. Bakas.
>>
>>146419395
I was kidding, someone make a thread quick! Quick you bakas quick!
>>
Can't even make a new thread and you expect to make a visual novel. What a joke.
>>
Toko VA stepped down so art patch soon but VA patch delayed.

Stargazers will now have a porn version.
>>
>>146420134
There's more important issues, like the thread dying.
Thread posts: 769
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.