[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/evn/- Solo vs team edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 711
Thread images: 70

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
http://pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
https://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
http://pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
http://meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

>Ren'Py Download:
http://www.renpy.org/

Last thread: >>145365702
>>
File: i can't contain it.gif (1MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
i can't contain it.gif
1MB, 260x195px
>tfw western artists can't emulate eastern style
>>
A pity bump before I go to sleep.
>>
File: 1341535148747.jpg (17KB, 300x292px) Image search: [Google]
1341535148747.jpg
17KB, 300x292px
>>145736494

Pretty sure that's bullshit, if I posted Danganronpa art you'd say it'd Deviantart tier. Reality it's about skill not nationality.
>>
>>145740708
nobody can replicate chen either
>>
Bumping bred
>>
Who's ready to be disappointed by Highway Blossoms?
>>
>>145736494
Considering all the different styles of "eastern" there are, including stuff that wouldn't look out of place in your standard Sunday Morning Funnies section, you're fulla shit, mate.
>>
>>145742484
It's kinetic. How do you even get hyped for that? I mean, is there even a good kinetic VN out there?
>>
>>145743272
if you're including jvns, remember11 is actually a very good example

it's not quite kinetic but it's close enough to be comparable
>>
>>145743272
how bout higurashi/umineko? Though they're a completely different genre that wouldn't have been able to be boring if it tried. And have a long-ass chapters. And a shitton of cool characters.
>>
>>145743272
Can't tell if this is a serious question or not.
>>
>>145744193
Oh, and considering the main appeal of romantic games is being able to pick your partner/develop relationships with them through choices, making your romance VN kinetic is, well, pretty unusual.
>>
>>145744329
Whenever I hear a KN dev (someone who is SOLELY a KN dev) talk about their work, they're always talking in terms of Their Vision. "You don't understand, man. This is my Vision. This is how I See The Story. You're here to experience My World. If I gave you choices, the story couldn't work!"

And then they give me a fucking slide show. Do something with the medium? Why? You just need pictures with lip flap, boobs, some royalty-free music, and some pretentious writing, right?

You're not fucking auteurs. You're just too lazy to make a movie or animation.
>>
File: 1350258279951.gif (435KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1350258279951.gif
435KB, 500x281px
>>145743272

>Put artificial choices in your linear story or I'll whine nonstop on 4chan about muh branching paths.
>>
>>145746653
For me, it doesn't even have to be choices as long as it's not a fucking slide show. Do SOMETHING with the medium other than partial animation, text, and music. Hidden object games have more of interest for me than a KN because I can interact with the world somehow. Learn from adventure games. WE CAME FROM ADVENTURE GAMES. Learn your roots, whippersnappers. Fuck with my mind a little. Immerse me in your world. Do something other than just have souless animu waifus lip flap at me while spilling your Message like spaghetti on the floor.
>>
>>145747071

Sounds like a case of stop liking what I don't like.

Some of the best VNs ever made were linear with no or almost no choices.
>>
>>145747214
Okay - we'll agree to disagree. I don't think KNs are doing enough. You think they're the greatest. No room for compromise there.
>>
>>145747071
You seem to have this weird idea that to be good or interesting something must be intractable or offer choices in some way. Never read a good novel, have you? It should be about the story, the world, the characters, and how they are represented. Not whether you can choose between left or right, up or down, red or brown occasionally.
>>
File: 1340152634396.png (211KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1340152634396.png
211KB, 500x500px
>>145747830

That's not what you think based on what you've said. Your opinion is you're tired of western devs making KVNs. You don't think English KVNS aren't doing enough.

EVNs in general are still growing, you sound like every other idiot commentator who has never played much JVNs but wants to insist what devs must do to appease specifically you. You sound exactly like JP. It doesn't fucking matter what western devs do because the medium is still growing, budgets is honestly 100x lower right now than what it should be to produce a VN on the level of a JVN right now. So until that happens stop being the fucking anchor dragging EVNs down with your misguided opinions & hot takes.
>>
>>145748018
I'm not that anon, but reading a book is not at all like reading a VN (unless it's presented as a book with no "game" objects like sprites, sounds, is arranged in a NVL format etc).
There was an article on gamasutra I think about the need to break up the routine in any video game (including VNs), and choices and interactivity segments accomplish that. (the deal was something like the intensity of stimuli in vidya is much greater than when you're reading words on paper/watching a movie etc. and the brain needs it to be broken up in smaller chunks or have a breather every now and again).
There's also the issue of price relative to content available, if you price your KN like a book on kindle I'll have 0 complaints.
>>
>>145748837

>Video games
>Including VNs

Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>145749118
kys desu
>>
Reminder: this is the kind of autist you're enabling by adding meaningless choices on a work you were planning as a straight line.

>>145746563
>>145747830
>>145747071

If you don't feel your story requires choices, just don't do it. You're distracting your readers from what matters by pandering instead of just telling an entertaining story. If it sounds interesting enough without branching, go for it.
>>
>>145748101
Oh, if my opinion doesn't match yours, I'm not allowed to have it?

For the record, none of my argument has a damn thing to do with budget or even art style. There is more than one person talking here about not enjoying KNs. Maybe you're talking to them.

>>145749257
My self esteem. It is shattered. I've been called an autist on 4chan. You must really mean it.

I don't give a fuck if someone wants to make a linear game. I've played many story rich linear games and enjoyed them. I actively dislike meaningless choices. If you do that, there's a good chance you're fucking your game up. If you want a linear game experience, that's fine. Make that game. I'm not stopping you. I'm just saying that an anime slide show is not what I, personally, look for. I think KNs can be something more interesting than a slide show, is all.
>>
>>145748837
I had a great time reading sea cats for a while. I still think it's completely up to how the story is told, and how interesting the world and characters are. I think interactivity is absolutely not necessary. Then again, I'm a bit on the older side, so maybe the younger audiences of today are of a completely different mindset. To me it doesn't matter if I can click anything other than the 'next' really as long as the story is compelling. If the story is bad, clicky stuff won't save it in my eyes.
>>
>>145750527

>KVNs are shit, stop making KVNs!
>But that's stupid
>It's just my opinion man!

Naw, if you don't like KVNs than don't play them. Don't tell us what we can or can't make. You're completely allowed to have your terrible opinion.
>>
>>145750527
You're just an asshole and literally no one cares. Please stop shitting up the thread.
>>
Apologies to Jake, but I think this is worth linking: https://twitter.com/jakebowkett/status/743761649815814144

To add my own two cents, kinetic novels have no more gameplay than comic books, so it's not really acurate to label them viyda. Even calling a choice-system gameplay is a bit of a stretch. Choices usually serve to immerse the reader into a world and increse their investment, but rarely to entertain or challenge.
>>
>>145748837
>There was an article on gamasutra I think about the need to break up the routine in any video game
This can be my problem with pure KNs. I get restless and have to take breaks a lot. It's not that I don't like reading, it's the format.

I don't hate them (though they're not really games) but it's hard to stay focused.

And yes, sometimes a fairly artificial interactivity can mitigate that. See 'Magical Eyes'. There's no story branching at all, but there's a good bit of sleight-of-hand to make you feel like you're DOING something to get to the outcome.

I'm not saying every game should try to pull those tricks, of course, just that you can try to jazz up a linear story if you want to.
>>
>mfw trying to keep thread active by starting discussion
>no discussion, only flames and closing the topic
>can't have discussion on other forums because topic too sensitive, apparently
>ok
>>
>>145752469
>starting discussion
>YOU'RE SHIT IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THING I LIKE
Let's just hope you're an artist or something doing assets and not in charge of communicating verbally, for everyone's sake.
>>
>>145752469
>can't be bothered to read the thread and reply to the sensible posts right above me
>will just whine instead
>>
>>145752536
Just how many people do you think are involved in this discussion? (Hint: more than two or three.)
>>
>>145750527
Some people are turning off their brains whenever you say 'anime slide show' because this is too often used as mindless bashing of VNs, so using it makes them think you don't have any real argument and are just being a shit.

The other problem, of course, is that most linear stories in videogames are surrounded by GAMEPLAY, and most evn developers couldn't code gameplay if their lives depended on it. And if they did, they'd suddenly face 'not a VN' and getting kicked out of the club.
>>
>>145751708
Only my Waifu can tell me what to do.
>>
File: 1442988040546.jpg (16KB, 282x262px) Image search: [Google]
1442988040546.jpg
16KB, 282x262px
>Ask an innocent question
>It inevitably turns into shit.
Well... fuck.

Can't we just talk about what makes a good vn?
>>
>>145748837
>>145752054
>>145752397
>>145753015

Would like to hear more thoughts from these people, if they're still around. Probably won't be able to reply until tonight, but will look forward to reading.

Some questions: what did Magical Eyes do? (Spoilers fine.)

Do you care that your game is labeled a "VN"?

Why do you feel choices don't usually challenge or entertain? (This is the one I really hope gets responded to, if nothing else.)
>>
>>145754094
>what makes a good vn
not being a boring slideshow :^)
>>
>>145754094
Good writing. If the writing or story is better because you couldn't/didn't want find any place where exploring the "what-ifs" would work, then good for you, but a big appeal of vns is exploring those "what ifs".
I'd say it's harder to write a good KVN than a branching one, simply because it's harder to be engaging to the reader when the reader isn't able to engage in the story in any way. Reading speeds in KVNs are also a lot slower than a normal book, so there has to be something to keep the player/reader from becoming bored.
Just my 2c
>>
Is this the worst text box of all time?
>>
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dharkerstudio/the-bounce-visual-novel-series

$40,000 with three days left
>>
>>145755964
Why aren't you a succesful businessman like AJTilley yet?
>>
>>145754317
>what did Magical Eyes do?
First, it's a 'mystery' game, so as you go along you're collecting keywords and shit, and then every so often there are little quizzes where the player is meant to demonstrate that they understand the story so far, by filling in questions with those keywords. (In this particular case, getting the questions right also unlocks some bonus scenes, iirc.)

It's just a little quiz, not real gameplay like danganronpa, although you could insert something like that there if you wanted.

Second, between scenes you use a map screen to find the location for the next scene, and to choose between going straight to the next 'main' plot scene or looking at an optional scene first. It's a tiny interruption in the process of reading that makes you do a little something else.

Both of these things sound like busywork if handled poorly, but handled well they can keep the player 'active'.
>>
Kinetic novels are digital plays.
>>
>>145755964
To be fair it's not just one game that they're making. I'm not at all surprised with the results. Though I'm shocked with the number of people with such shit taste in art.
>>
>>145755925
It's up there along with worst character design
>>
>>145754317

Can't comment on Magical Eyes, I'm afraid I'm not familiar.

It bugs me a little when my VN is labelled a game, but it's not something I lose sleep over.

Its not that choices CAN'T entertain or challenge. Off the top of my head, Undertale provides a few choices which really are just for laughs (Anime is real, right?). Phoenix Wright is an example of challenging the player to think in order to solve each trial, with a light penalty for failure. In the case of Phoenix Wright, the clear establishment of a win condition and a failure state is what pushes it more toward the game side of the spectrum.

In Dating Sims,choices such as "tell her you stole her pen" or "lie to her face" don't automatically present a win/loss state. It could be argued that an ending where your partner leaves you isn't a bad ending, but a permutation of the story that is no less valid than a happy ending. That is also a choice which isn't "gamelike," in that making the choice isn't necessarily fun. As another example, a choice such as "Shoot your girlfriend" or "Shoot your mother" isn't fun (unless you are a sad person) - it's to make the reader think about those actions, and to explore the ethics behind them.

Basically, there are VNs which lean more toward being video games, but not every VN includes the elements I'd say define vidya (challenges of knowledge, skill, and/or luck, with a win and/or failure state).
>>
>>
>>
The H patch for Highway Blossoms was delayed by "a day or so", so now I can wait to play it later.
>>
>>145765908
The top of her head is missing.
>>
>>145767118

Your assertion is both logically valid and consistent, but you are forgetting the existence of communist China.
>>
>>145765908
This takes same face syndrome to a whole new level
>>
>>145765908
what the fuck? i can't stop laughing at this. it gets worse the longer i look
>>
>>
>>145767841
Same body syndrome.
>>
>>145767118
Quality!
>>
>>
>>
again
>>
If you decide to make terrible jokes in your game features, please at least have some of the facts in there. I'm going to be passing on Highway Blossoms because I cannot gather any sort of actual information such as estimated length or content on it.
>>
>>145776013
Also small white font on a yellow background should be a criminal offense as a game designer.
>>
>>145776013
Wow, I didn't realise until now that they put that jokey shit in the steam description. That's fine to do in one random blog post when the real information is available elsewhere, but very unhelpful to someone who's not heard of the game before...
>>
>>145776013
Since I am on the complain train and /evn/ is ded, it is also kind of scumbaggy to put your own "user-defined tags" such as "cute", "great soundtrack", and "story rich" before the game is even released. I'm half-expecting to see self reviews next...
>>
>>145776013
is anyone actually buying it?
>>
>>145776013
I don't have control of the Steam page, but I'll see if we can't try and put some legit info in there. The game is rather straightforward though.
>>145776563
Don't think that was us. We had several people play test it beforehand, and some of the tags seem like terminology they would use.
>>
>>145776563
I specifically think it's shit to put 'great soundtrack' in the tags as a dev because it's a value judgment. Other tags I don't think are necessarily so bad. 'Visual Novel' is itself a user-tag, not a defined genre.
>>
>>145776996
>Don't think that was us.
It was. It pretty much had to be. Actual user tags have to reach a critical threshold before they'll display on the steam page, one that is EXTREMELY unlikely to be reached from beta-testers, whereas tags added by the development team before launch are automatically displayed.

I mean, if you had 20 beta testers and ordered them _all_ to use those specific tags you might get them in through testers, but otherwise no.
>>
>>145777267
(which is not to say you didn't have 20 testers, but 20 testers who are all willing to use the tagging system and tag the exact tags you tell them to, because they'd all have to do it without fail...)
>>
>>145777267
I see. I'll ask around and see who tagged them.
>>
WITH YOUR FEET IN THE AIR AND YOUR HEAD ON THE GROUND
>>
>>145776013
The discussion page for the game estimates at least 4 hours of reading time. And the story of the game is really self explanatory. It's a slice of life yuri road trip with a treasure hunt, Americana, and some comedy thrown in. It's also kinetic, so you're there for the story.
>>
>>145779131
What dank meme is this?
>>
Highway Blossoms is now out.
>>
guys stop dying
>>
Torrent where?
>>
>>145783008
Fuck you
>>
mega link where?
>>
>>145782814
Yes, please. Since I fixed my sleep pattern and can't shitbump the thread through the night, you fuckers have died at least 4 times.
>>
File: I puked in my mouth.png (15KB, 917x74px) Image search: [Google]
I puked in my mouth.png
15KB, 917x74px
I am beginning to think I cannot trust these writers to produce anything worthwhile.
>>
>>145783691
Beginning?
>>
>>145783691
Don't let your dreams be memes, amigo.
>>
>>145783008
watch a let's play
>>
>>145783691
memes were a mistake
>>
Is the art in Highway Blossoms all by the same person? The sprites look a bit different from a few of the CGs.
>>
>>145785125
The first few CGs were done by the same person who did the sprites. It's just that someone else colored the sprites (with one sprite being done by Myuto). All the other CGs were done by Rosuuri or Weee.
>>
So is it any good?
>>
>>145786682
it's ok
>>
>that gui
>yellow textbox
>white letters
>1080p despite sparse details
what were they thinking?
>>
>>145786682
It hasn't hooked me yet, but high contrast mode saved it from being returned.
>>
>>145788107
i think the textbox is fine. no i'm not the devs.
>>
>>145788107
isn't it technically their first completed work? It's bound to be shit in one way or another.
>>
>>145788295

That's understandable in part, but the specific feedback that anon said has been thrown at the devs for months, I'm not sure if they expected opinion to suddenly change overnight.
>>
>>145788295
KOJIMA OF EVN
>>
>>145788390

didn't they implement the other optional textbox because of that?
>>
>>145788612

It has better contrast but an even uglier color selection.
>>
File: High Contrast mode.jpg (227KB, 1740x1010px) Image search: [Google]
High Contrast mode.jpg
227KB, 1740x1010px
>>145788107
High contrast mode makes it readable.

>>145788230
Regular mode is hard to read and a terrible graphical design. You want the words to be easily read and stick out, not blend into the both the textbox and the general environment.
>>
>>145788390
What are you talking about? Whenever someone on /evn/ complains they change something. They're like little dogs, it's great.
>>
>>145755964
It's like some businessman with zero clue about VNs, anime, or anything relating to those things noticed something called visual novels were selling well and easy to produce so decided to hire some people to make the game that his market analysis skills dictated would make the most profit for the least amount of work.

"Alright, big boobs are bouncy, and little kids and manbabies love big boobs, so let's call it the bounce series."

"Every guy loves huge boobs, so let's have all the bodies exactly the same. Hot V shape with huge knockers. Yes, I'm sure that will sell just fine."
>>
>>145789309
and it's working out really, really, really well for him.
>>
>>145789760
I'm not surprised. Market analysis + boobs, can't go wrong.
>>
>>145788771
now it's readable. but fuck me, it might be the ugliest ui I've seen to date. even default renpy might be better.
>>
>>145789309
Worst part is that it's working.
>>
>>145790057
If anything, it should be a good sign. The more people willing to throw money towards VN's, and the more exposure they get, the better. As long as it doesn't somehow turn the purchasers away from VNs forever by being terrible and a complete waste of time and money, we might see benefits from it. If no one else will carry the burden of funding EVNs, people who are obsessed with gigantic tits and sameface/samebody will. Just don't forget to add a few to your game, place them as centerpieces in all your advertising, and make the name of your game something that evokes feelings of sexy girls or boobs.
>>
>>145780975
I want to be tenderly loved by the guy with the Brock eyes
>>
I really want to return my copy of the game, this isn't catching me at all.
>>
>>145793037
How far are you into it?
>>
>>145793037
so do it then?
also tell us about it in detail
>>
>>145793037
I understand the feeling. This is going to be an interesting write-up.
>>
>>145793037
keep going for the good of the colony.
>>
>>145793037
I am curious too, give us a review afterwards.
>>
>>145793037
Highway Blossoms? Keep going senpai then give us a review
>>
>>145783691
I'm glad they put so many memes into achievements these days rather than the actual game (even AAA devs do that shit) because achievements are the most worthless garbage added to modern videogaming anyway so there's no loss.
>>
>>145797107
>there are people who literally will not buy a game because it has no achievements
Burn it all to the ground.
>>
>>145797757
>There are people who will do the most tedious shit imaginable just so they can 100% a game
People who 100% FFX remastered are mentally ill.
>>
>achievements in a Kinetic Novel.
Uh...?
>>
>>145797107
I think achievements are actually good overall - as long as you're not one of those that solely goes after them, they can really help lengthen your time with the game which for people who can't buy new ones often is great.

It's just taking the old challenges gamers came up with and adding them officially, which is fine.

For VN type stuff though, ehh, how do those work?
>>
>>145798437
From a developer end, they're handy because they let you track how many of your customers are getting all the way through your story.

From a sane player end, achievements in a KN mostly only serve as some vague guide posts for how far you are from the end.

From someone who obsesses over your "% completed" score, achievements in a KN are awesome because you can set the game on autoplay and get a free 100%. (I'm not one of these people, but they exist.)
>>
>>145798070
Sometimes I think devs add stupidly monotonous achievements just to have a laugh.

>>145798517
Nah. They're shit.

VN achievements are usually for reaching endings or picking choices, or by milestones reached if kinetic.
>>
>>145796286
Hi JP.
>>
>>145798818
I beg to differ, when at least a hint of thought goes into them, they encourage different methods of gameplay.

I remember using play-styles I wouldn't leave my comfort zone for when doing Halo achievements, and I'm glad I went for them as I had fun.
>>
File: ClLqMB4UsAAoKGG.jpg (93KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
ClLqMB4UsAAoKGG.jpg
93KB, 810x540px
>>
>>145800026
Cute!
>see hands
Fug
>>
>>145800026
>Two Left hands
>That warped MC's face
>jagged lines
Ugh.
>>
>>145800283
What?
>>
For the person who backed the physical copy of Dreamfall Chapters and doesn't receive updates:

"But of course, we're not quite done with Dreamfall Chapters yet. There are rewards to fulfil and a 'complete edition' (final name TBD) to be made: that's the version we'll stick on discs and USBs and ship out to backers. But we'll send out another update about the physical (and remaining digital) rewards before the summer holidays."
>>
>>145800283
I'm more surprised at the length of ponytail's right arm.
>>
>>145800535
I think the jagged lines look nice, personally. The other two things are bad though.
>>
>>145800535
>discriminating on 2 lefthanders

They are people too
>>
>>145800928
>People
Nice try heathen. you ain't foolin no one. Light up the torches and ready the pitchforks!
>>
>>145800928
I hear holding hands with someone that has 2 left hands will make you orgasm, is this true?
>>
>>145801203
>tfw two right hands

everyone knows lefty is the fav to fap..
>>
>>145801203
Only if you have two right hands.
>>
>>145801364
I wonder if there have been any studies on preferred fapping hand pre-PC (and especially internet) and post-PC.

I mean, TV and magazine fapping didn't really require much hand usage at all...unless you wanted to keep rewinding and fast-forwarding I guess.
>>
>>145799030
Hi Tao.

But being serious, I'm not JP.
>>
>>145802137
Speaking of Tao and JP, think JP will review Toko a third time when its patches get released?

JP played the Seeds of Chaos demo and said he owed Tao a semi-apology for criticising Menagerie like he did, because he says that SoC's writing is much worse.
>>
next evn to get bullied
>>
>>145804128
Tell us about you VN then, anon.
>>
>>145804128
The next EVN to get released is always the next to get bullied.
>>
>>145804319
I devised a trick to avoid that.
>>
>>145804128
Bullied? Literally the only things being mentioned are how much people don't like the textbox, how it hasn't hooked them, and how one promo art has two left hands. That's kinder than most games get.
>>
>>145804407
Tell me this one simple trick, anon.
>>
>>145804925
I bet it's never releasing your game.
>>
>>145804407
Do it like Winterwolves and let nobody know you're releasing something? The guy even managed to stop one of his games to show up on the steam release list.
>>
>>145804925
Sure. There are two variants to the trick:

1) If you are a talented hacker/assasin/impersonator, you can track all major reviewers, gut them and use their sites as a platform to boost your sales.
2) Otherwise you need to be a talented dev who makes something truly awesome.

Easy peasy.
>>
>>145805178
That works too.
>>
How many of you evn devs are a one man band?
>>
>>145807423

A jack of all trades is master of none.
>>
>>145807491
Excuses. You are simply not commited enough.
>>
>>145807491
idk man i save so much money not having to hire out
>>
>>145807423
My art skills are way too shit. The cost in money and frustration from hiring artists is still a better deal.
>>
>>145807423
Me. But I can't program worth a damn, so coding the more complex elements into my project is a nightmare.
>>
File: get some skills son.gif (6KB, 58x45px) Image search: [Google]
get some skills son.gif
6KB, 58x45px
>tfw don't know how to code or write a story but you're doing both
>>
>>145809483
Just drop all that family, friends and work nonsense and improve your skills, senpai.
>>
>>145807423
I want to be, but I can't write to save my life.
>>
>>145810654
If you are using renpy you can do pretty much everything you need without even understanding what is a for loop.
>>
>>145810676

That's what practice is for, brah.
>>
File: 2014-11-10-gogo-tomago.jpg (364KB, 1518x1121px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-10-gogo-tomago.jpg
364KB, 1518x1121px
>no one will ever make a nukige with shadman art
>>
>>145810661
but i'm spending that time writing and coding!
>>
>>145811126
and thank god for that. she looks like a midget
good art isn't all t&a
>>
>>145811324
Hmf, okay. But once you master those, go learn how to draw, music and 3D modeling!
>>
>>145811126
I'm more of a weeb arstyle fan. Sorry.
>>
>>145808852
Have you completed one yet?
>>
Final verdict on Highway Blossoms?
>>
>>145812263
It's day 1 of release, so not a whole lot of people have gone through it. I haven't finished it yet, so I have no final verdict.
>>
>>145812263
One friends-locked positive review!
>>
>>145811126
Thank god.
>>
>>145812263
Pretty bad. Writing's frequently cringey and the art feels like it was phoned in half the time. Music's good, though.
>>
>>145812370
First impressions? How the Kojima of VNs faring so far?
>>
>>145812885

What about the writing strikes you as cringey?
>>
>>145812968
Very eh. I'm hoping it gets better later on.
>>
File: VN of the year.png (39KB, 620x353px) Image search: [Google]
VN of the year.png
39KB, 620x353px
Never forget.
>>
>>145813936
To be fair, the competition so far is, what, starlight vega? Which had some big problems of its own, really.
>>
>>145813936
To be fair, that's really not saying much of anything.
>>
>>145812968
There's mpreg in HB?
>>
guys
>>
>>145814374
In 2016 we've had:

Strawberry Vinegar
Lucky Me Lucky You
Her Tears Were My Light
Love Is Strange
Starlight Vega
Plum Tea (if you count futa)
A Little Lily Princess
>>
>>145818074

We've also had the english release of Kindred Spirits on the Roof, which he called dry and so boring that he had to drop it.
>>
>>145818231
That's not in the running for yuri *evn* of the year
>>
>>145818231

Sounds like an EVN alright.
>>
>>145813936
>Yuri EVN of the year
That's really not saying much.
>>
File: 1463004110161.png (227KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1463004110161.png
227KB, 600x600px
>>145813936
>yuri EVN GOTY
>is a KN

Can I enter one without audio, visuals, or choices? It also comes on paper but that shouldn't matter, right?
>>
>>145818906

>It's not a VN if I can't pick whose lunch to eat and eventully fuck.
>>
>>145818074
>A Little Lily Princess.
I thought that was a japanese production that just got translated? Unless it was by a western studio but drawn by a jap?
>>
>>145788872
I've never changed a thing from /evn/'s feedback and I never will.
>>
>>145818074
Rising Angels: Hope was fun. Cute wolf girls are cute.
>>
>>145819250
Not sure where you got that idea from, no one Japanese was involved.
>>
>>145820201
Ah, forgot that one, sorry. Not sure why it didn't come up on the VNDB search, it has the right tags and all.

>>145818521
We've got at least eight other games to compare against and the year's only half over. Any year other than this, it would most likely be a matter of the ONLY yuri evn.
>>
>>145819250
>by a jap
It's a spic
>>
>>145820240
There were some awkward dialogues. Nvm maybe I'm just being an autist.

If so, that deserves the award more so than HB. Not because it's not kinetic. It was much more interesting.

>>145820376
>Next year's yuri evn
So whoever gets to release it next year easily wins the yuri bowl?
>>
>>145820493

Can we get a discussion going? How did it make itself interesting?
>>
>>145820697
Just the premise alone already piques curiosity. Sure it's the easy way out, adaptation and all. But Adopting this story in particular could get people hyped quick, and it did. It's always been sorta homo-ish, even in the animu adaptation, so turning it into a VN was a total gem.
>>
>>145818074
>Her Tears Were My Light
wat dis
>>
>>145820905

I haven't read it, so could you elaborate? What's the premise? Also, surely hype alone doesn't make a great VN? What did it do right?
>>
>>145820493
That's good to hear. It's next on my list. RA: Hope was fun with some minor issues, I can't bring myself to finish Starlight Vega, and I'll probably be done with HB by tomorrow.
>>
>>145820974
It's wish fulfillment of little gay girls who are now adults. Little gay girls who always wanted to watch a little gay girl animu and now it's been granted.

It's basically that.
>>
>>145821098

Well. That sounds terrible.
>>
>>145821169
Dude, that's how everything is these days, heck even Steven Universe/Gravity Falls is cashing in on that wave.
>>
>>145820175
Depends on the feedback honestly. It's split pretty 50/50 here between "what the hell are you talking about" and genuinely insightful criticism.

And if you're the alpha adventure dev, you really should listen.
>>
>>145821276

It doesn't matter how many things are doing it, that sounds like an obtuse and terrible premise. What does it do right?
>>
>>145820974
>What's the premise?
Victorian boarding school, rich pampered little girls living isolated lives, then everything goes to hell and life is suffering, then eventually it gets better. Standard emotional arc.

Outside of quality judgments, it's notable because the story is classic literature (well known, lots of fans) and because it's a yuri game with a range of love interests to choose between, which is depressingly rare.
>>
>>145821516
Pleasing gay vaginas
>>
>>145821363
Not into yuri, so I haven't been following him. You got me curious though. What is he doing wrong?
>>
>>145821516
>that sounds like an obtuse and terrible premise
What exactly are you thinking the premise is? 'Wish fulfillment' can mean literally anything, especially given the two reference points of Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, which are nothing like each other and even less like the game in question.
>>
>>145821654

If you were going to give quality judgement? How does the writing stack up thematically and stylisticlly? How's the direction?
>>
>>145821857

>It's wish fulfillment of little gay girls who are now adults

Was all I was given to go on. Which sounds like a poor design philosophy.
>>
>>145821683
I don't follow them either, but if I recall correctly there was some pretty accurate critiques of the sprites that got brushed off. There's no drama to dig up though if that's what you're hoping for.
>>
File: kuyashii.jpg (188KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
kuyashii.jpg
188KB, 1280x960px
>>145822235
>no drama
dayummm
>>
>>145822176
It's just a vague description. You should just read/see actual reviews/letsplays of it before judging it so harshly. If it's not for you then there's no need to force yourself to play it.
>>
>>145822176
do you literally think that is the official 'design philsophy' of a game because of a random 4chan comment?
>>
>>145822772

I'm judging the premise I was given harshly. A Victorian boarding school does sound like it could be an interesting setting.

But again, this is why I'd like discussion. Whenever a project discussed here, it rarely gets past "It was boring and the art was shit," or "It was pretty good." I'd like some more depth, so hopefully I can learn more about how to develop my own VN.

For instance, Lucid9 had a solid central mystery plot, and wrote a strong, believable relatonship with two of its lead characters, which led to a fantastic sequence winding down from the main drama, exploring the different directions life can go, which was brilliantly directed with a fantastic musical score. The final scene was also well written enough to be very emotionally effective. Despite all that, the plot suffered from being a multi-route VN, and would have been much better had it focused only on the two leads.

It's not much, but that's the kind of detail I'd like when people finish a VN.
>>
>>145823846

Of course not. I was given a bad description of the premise, which made the VN sound bad.
>>
>>145823991
If you want maximum efficiency, write a screenplay.
>>
>>145824406

How so?
>>
>>145823991
>the plot suffered from being a multi-route VN
I've heard people say there are a few decent books and movies around.
>>
>>145823991
You know you could just google the fucking title of the novel right?
>>
>>145824797
Only if he'd bothered to figure out what the title of the original novel was
>>
>>145824552
You make valid points, but seems like you are too converned about pacing and everything being perfectly directed towards advancing the plot (as I say, a valid concern). On the other hand, c'mon. It's a VN. Waifu sidetracking comes with the territory.
>>
>>145824561

I ws fine with the visual elements, the inclusion of choices, and the soundtrack. But being multi-route meant that it was forced to take time out to develop characters who had no role in the released part of the story, in scenes which were tolerable at best and inane at worst.
>>
>>145824870

What is a plot? There are several low-key scenes which serve to showcase the relationship between the protagonist and one love interest. While the scenes themselves are light entertainment, they serve to get you attached to the character, so there's a big payoff when the drama escalates. The other scenes can tend toward inanity. The dialogue isn' funny or interesting, and it's a slog to get through them. As well, there's no payoff to reading them. They negatively impact the pace of the story, which makes it less enjoyable.

I also don't buy that argument. VNs are whatever they want to be. Superhero comics don't have to be badly written wish-fulfilment, and VNs don't have to have waifuism. It's a lazy excuse for not thinking outside the box.
>>
>>145825721
>VNs don't have to have waifuism
Neither have not to be. That's what I'm saying, not everything needs to try to "think outside the box".
Personally, you might not like the interactions betweens chars (I have a few objections about them too, but since it's just a matter of opinion, I won't go into further detail), but that doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose: get you attached to the characters, as you said; which i suppose will come in handy as the story advances. Those are voluntary events in most cases, and the game don't force you to play them.
>>
>>145826479

Of course, I agree. There's space for every kind of story. But thinking outside the box leads to innovation. Not doing so increases the risk of becoming predictable and boring.

Of course, you're right that it might help as the story advances. But right now, there's only one part out, and I can only judge it on what's there. As well, they are included in the VN. I can skip them, but I can never tell if that's going to cause me to miss crucial information. It's also immersion breaking, which has a negative impact on the rest of the story.

Of course, a lot of people liked everything about Lucid9, so this is just my take. But this is the kind of discussion I'd like to see happen on every EVN that gets released - a real breakdown of what people thought worked and what didn't.
>>
>>145812263
The 18+ patch isn't out yet, so let me get back to you on that one.
>>
File: 1460849291902.gif (2MB, 299x348px) Image search: [Google]
1460849291902.gif
2MB, 299x348px
>>145827054
>But this is the kind of discussion I'd like to see happen on every EVN that gets released - a real breakdown of what people thought worked and what didn't.
Yeah, that would be good. But it's 6:00 AM in East Tacoland and I'm sleepy, so you guys keep the thread alive during the night. Have a cute doggie to make you warm and fuzzy.
>>
>>145827858
It's actually out now
http://steamcommunity.com/app/451760/discussions/0/358415206085893872/
>>
>>145828046

The strayn watch begins. Fuck oath cunts, how many sheilas youse puttin in yer games? I got fifteen
>>
>>145829467
straya survival dating sim when
>>
>>145831115
Would it be about surviving Australia, or about surviving Australians?
>>
>>145831356
Both of course.
>>
>Australian monstergirl game where all the waifus are poisonous.
>>
>>145831356

If I ever get round to writing another, I'll probably set my next VN in Melbourne.

So just Australians.
>>
File: Strap1.jpg (15KB, 355x295px) Image search: [Google]
Strap1.jpg
15KB, 355x295px
Tao's holding a poll about whether people would prefer his sprite to have one or two straps on her eyepatch.

https://twitter.com/Taosym/status/743812676539691008
>>
File: Strap2.jpg (15KB, 355x295px) Image search: [Google]
Strap2.jpg
15KB, 355x295px
>>145832047
Here's the other option.
>>
>>145832047

Clever marketting. The man has great vision, unlike poor Patch the Hyena.
>>
>>145832047
What an utterly pointless poll.
>>
>>145832047
>>145832215
Why not simply add it as an option in-game? Or are they that averse to having choices?
>>
>>145832383
>eyepatch filter
Are you serious?

Then why not a slut lips slider?

Not all designs will be exactly as you'd like them to be.
>>
>>145832586
To be honest, I couldn't give less of a fuck what the character design in a game I'm not going to touch looks like.

The poll just seems so superfluous, and the artist obviously doesn't particularly care either.
>>
>>145832848
>the artist obviously doesn't particularly care either
That's the point. Pick something you don't really care about and let people who care even slightly pick the one they want. That way it engages the audience and nothing important to you has to be changed.
>>
>>145832215
Number 2 is the more traditional chuuni look, while Number 1 is the more traditional pirate look.
>>
>>145833412
I'd rather ask the artist why that character looks like a bird just had a hugh shit on the top of her head.
>>
>>145833575
Either he's a fan of Tokyo Ghoul, or it's just anime colored hair.
>>
I just finished Highway Blossoms.

They pitched it as a treasure hunt but you find the entirety of the treasure a fourth of the way through the VN, cursing the rest of the VN to feel like padding.

The VN, for some bizarre reason, has an option to keep skipping text after a choice, despite being entirely kinetic.

On the subject of the UI, they for some utterly bizarre reason have removed basic Ren'py functions, like a scene selection and image gallery. Despite being linear, it's still fairly lengthy for what it is so going out of your way to remove the scene selection is dumbfounding and inexcusable.

The directing is all over the place, there's a scene later in the VN where Amber is supposedly in a bar, but the game uses an outdoors background for this part. Very early in the VN, she puts on a pair of sunglasses in a cg but rather than creating an alternate, static CG, they instead opt to drop the sunglasses from the top of the screen like some meme loving idiots. This wouldn't be awful if it wasn't for the fact that she whenever she tilts her head the sunglasses load out and then load back in, which looks really amateurish.

The character art is for the most part okay, they all look good on their own but there's some consistency errors between CGs as well as some blatantly useless ones, such as the one where it's just them sitting in a cave, with the CG's purpose to just show them being in a cave. The BGs are also pretty odd: some are hand made from scratch, others use obvious 3d models, and others past that are very obvious filtered photos. Most of them don't mesh super well with the sprite's perspectives.

The music was the strongest element, nothing really bad to say about it, though the credits song rustled me just on the basis of my personal opinions on that kind of stuff.

It's just a bland experience and the errors are obvious. Step above lemma, not commercial quality.
>>
File: Toko4.png (627KB, 600x795px) Image search: [Google]
Toko4.png
627KB, 600x795px
>>145833575
At first I thought it was sheen, but I'm starting to think that he's using black and white hair to show that someone is a human/demon hybrid.
>>
>>145834073
>The VN, for some bizarre reason, has an option to keep skipping text after a choice, despite being entirely kinetic.

That would indicate somebody couldn't be bothered to edit the standard ren'py menu, if the HB is written in ren'py.

>basic Ren'py functions, like a scene selection and image gallery

Both are more or less (readily available) plug-ins for ren'py if I remember correctly but not included in the standard setup.
>>
>>145834073
Now go back and add the H patch, so you can critique their love scenes.
>>
>>145835189

I played it with the h-scenes. They weren't offensive but didn't add anything to the narrative either and felt mostly tacked on.
>>
>>145834073
>This wouldn't be awful
are you sure the deal with it sunglasses meme wouldn't be awful
are you absolutely sure?
>>
>>145835851

It would have been bad, but I've seen worse. The fact that they didn't even do it intelligently (or as intelligently as you can get in this situation) was the real kicker for me, honestly.
>>
>>145834073
Does Rosuuri's CG stand apart from the rest? Or does it just mesh in? My artist love that girl and is striving to imitate her style.
>>
>>145821363
They're critiques that only /evn/ has, and this general is not my target market.
>>145821683
I'm not a guy.
>>
>>145834073
Was the relationship between the 2 main characters satisfying at least?
>>
>>145836925
Are you getting any feedback from your target market?

current year
>>
>>145837159
The entirety of my progress has taken place this year, and all the feedback I've received on lemma/fuwa has been positive.
>>
>>145837018

The writing as a whole, apart from the very large problem in my initial point, didn't really stick out to me. While Marina has a lot of character, Amber was super dry and dull, with the exception of the end stretch where she decides to act like a bitch in some forced-feeling drama. I feel like it might have benefited by making the narration third person, as the main character didn't have anything going for her as a lead.

>>145836741

As I said before, almost all of the CGs are very good, even if consistency is an issue. Unfortunately the worst CG is shown constantly in the VN (of the two in the front seat of the motorhome) and acts as a sort of visual centerpiece. It has some serious quality issues which is bewildering considering how much time you're forced to look at it. Past that one CG they're mostly on point though.
>>
>>145837382
I've had good feedback from /u/ and
/aco/ too.
>>
>>145835851
Could be worse. Could've Joe Dirt 2'd it.
>>
i still want to fuck mariah desu
>>
>>145838651
who is mariah?
>>
>>145838891

The wind.

>>145834073

I really liked the credits song - what got you about it?
>>
>>145839705

I'm just not a large fan of lyrics in VNs, is all. It's personal preference and doesn't mean it's a bad song so I can't fault them for that decision.
>>
>>145836925
I'm pretty sure critiques with art and anatomy extend well beyond just /evn/ and are an attempt by those bringing them to light to improve that work in an unbiased way. It's not as subjective as critiques about the plot, or a character's design or personality, which I would understand readily dismissing. You're right in that small flaws go largely unnoticed, but if you dismiss them and allow them to add up, they will lower the quality of the game in a significant way.

You're also certainly not going to get that kind of feedback from lemma. You can't just focus on the positives, you need take in the negative as well. In general, only the people who like what the see and care enough to post are going to give you feedback, which is obvious going to be skewed in favor of what you're doing. You don't know what the people who pass you and your work up think.
>>
>>145839705
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got that reference.
>>
Did those meme fucking assholes make an extended Run the Jewels reference?
>>
up
>>
In your order of preference, which types of romantic stories do you prefer to read? Is it different from what you like to write?

>bishoujo (male pursues females)
>otome (female pursues males)
>yaoi (male pursues males)
>yuri (female pursues females)
>potpourri (MC pursues multiple genders)

(This is not market research because I already know what I like to write. Figured this was better than "bump".)
>>
>>145844904
Figures someone would up right as I post mine and now I look like I'm spitting on you.
>>
>>145844923

Bishoujo, yuri, otome, potpurri, yaoi.

I think it's going to be a natural consequence of sexual orientation. I don't mind stories told from a female perspective, but I find nothing appealing in paragraphs about how attractive men are. Unless an otome/yaoi story has more to offer than that, there's just nothing that's going to appeal.
>>
>>145845009
hot
>>
C'mon guys. Crap on Highway Blossoms some more. I need it to raise my self-esteem.
>>
>>145846597
It's really not that terrible.
>>
>>145846597
Trashing on another game wouldn't make your game better though. Tough luck.
>>
>>145847883
Very true. Me, I prefer people creaming themselves over the bad games. That way I can go, "Fuck yes. If that's where the bar is, I'll take the demographic by storm."

(It still doesn't make my game good, but at least I know I can do better than X or Y.)
>>
>>145848560
>Implying you can do better.
SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT.
>>
>>145848560
Funny thing is this is probably what the creator of SV thought when they churned out that barely finished piece of a game.
>>
File: Nooo.gif (251KB, 426x225px) Image search: [Google]
Nooo.gif
251KB, 426x225px
>Noooo Stop Liking What I Don't Like: The Thread
>>
>>145848643
Have nothing that wouldn't be shit on right now. Of course, it being 4chan full of piss and vinegar, I expect to be shit on regardless.
>>
>>145850128
Post in anyway!
>>
>>145850128
>anon thinks his game is gonna be the shit
>anon takes 5 years to make his game
>in 5 years production values have skyrocketed and his game is now worse than lsf nanoreno shit
this is your future
>>
>>145851009
>in 5 years production values have skyrocketed
lol
>>
>>145851123
Reminder that Starlight Vega took 4 years to be completed. The creator also thought that it was gonna be the shit.
>>
>>145844923
bishoujo, otome, yuri and potpourri if the MC is female. Though those are pretty close rankings. Same as I like to draw/write but yuri has easiest to draw for me bonus.
I'm not really interested in yaoi or male MC potpourri.
>>
>>145834073
>going out of your way to remove the scene selection
I'm not even sure what 'scene selection' you're talking about, it certainly doesn't sound like a built-in.

Image galleries are very very easy to add but not something that is magically created by the game automatically.
>>
>>145852328
There's a lot of people who still think it IS the shit. (Especially the sort of people who constantly ignore all EVNs and believe they are 100% crayon drawings of bad japanese high schools with photo backgrounds and default UI, and then when finally persuaded to play one game that isn't declare it is a MILESTONE FOR OELVN)
>>
>>145844923
This is hard to answer because the standard tropes affect it more than just the romantic content.

I'd like to be able to put yuri/otome on top but it can be hard in the VN field to get stories for those demographics where the protagonist isn't completely pitiful, and I end up playing a lot of bishoujo even though I'm female because the variety of plots is better.

I'd like to see more dark otome with a protagonist who isn't just a crying ninny but actually fights back. (That doesn't mean she has to win because STRONG, I'm fine with a dark story that eventually leads to rape and mindbreak, I'd just like to struggle first!)
>>
>>145853441
Nah man, even /u/ acknowledges it is shit even if it's just some parts of it. Many are also disappointed by the shoddy cg.
>>
>>145812263
bad
>>
>>145820934
https://nomnomnami.itch.io/her-tears-were-my-light
it's actually pretty nice
>>
>>145834073
>The VN, for some bizarre reason, has an option to keep skipping text after a choice, despite being entirely kinetic.
unedited renpy UI
> basic Ren'py functions, like a scene selection and image gallery.
neither of switch are standard in renpy, but yes, a low bar to miss
>The directing is all over the place
apparently they had to rush it for an AX release, but yes, it's not very good
>art consistency
yeah, it's not very good, also the CGs, especially the driving CG, can be very lacking in quality
>>
>>145854176
You're apparently forgetting the SV-specific thread where /u/ went on and on about how this was an amazing groundbreaking game that would pave the future for OELVN.
>>
>>145858847

While we're here, can we dissect why SV didn't work?

For starters, the characters are the most shallow I think I've ever seen in anything. The only thing I can say for the protagonist is that she's a lesbian, and she's easily flustered. That's it. That's the sum total of her characterisation. Melody was barely any better. At least the demon chick had the grace to try to get to the real action quickly. That lack of characterisation meant that nothing interesting ever got discussed, there was no character development, and there was never any tension.

The art varied ridiculously. The sprite for the backer's character was great, while the Mom, despite being a pretty major character, had one sprite. One expression, one pose.

The direction was bland as hell. The music just barely did its job, but it never felt like it was enhancing the story, it just felt like the director knew music needed to be there, and so got some to fill the void.

Honestly though, the writing was bad, and that meant that nothing was ever going to save it.
>>
>>145859579
The music was what most of the kickstarter money went for, so it's considered barely adequate, then that's very disappointing.

Some people who got Melody's bad end started to dislike Scherza's character, because of her actions in that route.

The fact that the much anticipated harem route with mostly just a mesh of scenes from the main routes randomly thrown together was also a disappointment to many.

And let's not forget that Aria's grandparents backstory was never really explained.
>>
>>145860218

I'm having the second issue a bit at the moment. Whenever I use a cowriter's heroine, I'm worrying that I'm not portraying them in a flattering enough way, on top of writing them incorrectly. The latter's unavoidable, but it's hard to keep characters looking radiant when they aren't in the spotlight.

And yeah, there was a lot that was never explained. Why they moved to the house was a big one. I never worked out where the book came from, either - it just literally appeared out of thin air and was then in the plot. The former could have done a lot to help with the main girl's character.
>>
>>145860667
>Why they moved to the house was a big one.
I'm guessing they were broke, or her mother's income had gone down.

>I never worked out where the book came from, either - it just literally appeared out of thin air and was then in the plot.

Magic caused by either Lyria or Aria's grandfather sensing someone in the house. And in the demo, they found the book a different way, the way they found it changed because people accused them of ripping off Amulet the Stonekeeper.
>>
>>145847039

It's a competent enough first outing but there are so many basic issues (not editing the default ren'py ui at all to remove useless features, really?) that I can't say it's of the standard where they should be charging for it at all. It's better than the bottom of the barrel trash, but not good enough to be charging ten dollars for by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>145860218
A lot of people hated Lyria because of Melody's bad end, and the awkwardness involved in trying to avoid that bad end if you weren't interested in a random demon chick who wants to bang you on first introduction for absolutely no reason.
>>
>>145863597
>not good enough to be charging ten dollars for by any stretch of the imagination.
so in your enlightened opinion what would the right price be, and where do you expect the artwork to come from if your 'right price' is nothing?
>>
What makes people throw money at an EVN?

Seduce Me 2 managed to get 20k from kickstarter and is supposed to be selling well, so it can't be quality.
>>
>>145863597
>good enough to be charging ten dollars for
oh, great
the asshole who decides people's game prices for everyone is back
>>
>>145864675

Maybe they should have opted to hire a better programmer before worrying about their celebrity artists.
>>
>>145864562
>Lyria
>Melody
>Scherza
Why do all these characters have music-sounding names, anyway? Is that at all relevant to the plot?
>>
>>145864886
Adding a gallery and scene selection menu is like 30-60 minutes of copying and editing code from the ren'py wiki. Or you can steal take the code from one of the billion of free VNs on lemma.

You don't need a programmer for any of that.
>>
>>145864886
>hire a better programmer
for... a kn?
what the fuck do you need a better programmer for in a KN
are you still bitching about them not takin the time to remove one needless function from the options, which yes, is a lack of polish and should be updated in a patch, but takes about 10 seconds to do and has nothing to do with a quality programmer, or am I missing something?
>>
>>145864815
thirst and EOP
>>
>>145865103

I'm not the same person, but their visual directing is also very weak from a technical standpoint. Normally this doesn't bug me very much but you can tell they were trying really hard to make things active and interesting so when it ends up falling flat it's a lot more noticeable.
>>
>>145864815
marketing, connecting with the right audience?
>>
>>145865512
>EOP
What?
>>
>>145865103
their entire programming is lacking
bad ui functionality
bad visual direction if you count that as programming
unnecessary clutter
they even packed the original .rpy source files
>>
>>145865879
English Only Plebs
>>
>>145865879
means they can't read jap VNs and have to be content with whatever gets translated/is made in english
>>
>>145865980
also their text box moves by a few pixels between dialogue
>>
>>145865980
>they even packed the original .rpy source files
no ordinary paying customer gives a shit about this though, so using it as justification for 'they should have hired a better programmer to be worth money' just makes you sound really snotty

I'm not trying to say the game is great because I haven't played it and don't intend to, but I find it hard to imagine that investing in a programmer would make a difference to the salability of a basic KN
>>
Did a different artist do the Mariah sprite? The line thickness and shading style is different compared to the others.
>>
>>145866257
okay that sounds pretty annoying. what's it doing, vertical resizing or what?
>>
>>145866405
i gave like 4 other reasons but sure
that point is just amusing
>>
>>145866516
a different y-offset when there's no text, it slightly moves up and down
>>
>>145865980

How would you say the programming is lacking?

What's wrong with the UI functionality?

How could the visual direction be improved?

What comprises the clutter?
>>
>No Choices in the game witch I prefer since you don't need a walkthrough for it, no wrong choices to make :)
>Refreshing Setting for a VN no Japanese High school but Roadtrip in America.
>>
>>145868336
Indeed. Instead of having an interesting cast of characters in generic hs # 83983, we got bland and blander, the road trip! Finally we are rid of the blasted japs!
>>
File: TPS-translation.png (246KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TPS-translation.png
246KB, 1280x720px
Translation is progressing pretty slowly so far because I had no idea how ren'py works before trying this and my main focus is on relearning Russian.

Still, the game is pretty short at 11k words, and I should have the prologue finished by Tuesday at the latest.

>>145868336
>No Choices in the game witch I prefer since you don't need a walkthrough for it, no wrong choices to make :)

I've been wondering - do people actually like those VNs where the influence of choices isn't really discernable? It seems to be mostly something Japanese VN's like to do but I can't really imagine people like to bot through choice combinations to see different routes or events.
>>
>>145868441

>The tsundere, the Rei-clone, the Mary Sue, and the literal retard

>Interesting cast

JVNs have a bunch of things over EVNs, but interesting characters aren't one.
>>
>>145868757

Pardon me, "The one who is literally retarded."
>>
>>145868639
>do people actually like
obvious answer: it depends

Some people want all their choices to be completely straightforward. Some people hate it if they are. Some people don't want any choices at all because it's too stressful. Some people love the agony of indecision.

If the number of possibilities is high enough and people care enough about the game, a lot of players will play a few times and then rely on others posting THEIR playthrough to see how stuff might have gone differently. 100% completionists are a rare but useful minority.

A side effect of this is that games which are too straightforward get talked about less.
>>
>>145868757
You can reduce any cast to a pile of tropes and stereotypes if you try, though. The only difference is which batch of standard tropes you start with.

Most characters will grow beyond those starting points if you give them a bit of time and the writers aren't morons.
>>
>>145868757
>JVNS
>No interesting characters
Do pray tell, show me interesting EVN characters.

>inb4 in muh game
>>
>>145869179
Thanks.
>>
>>145869741
>obvious answer: it depends
Yeah, I can understand that. All of these are preferences I can understand. However, I don't really see the point of including choices where the player can't have the slightest idea of what they'll do.

>Want to see scene Y? Well, you need to pick up the penny in scene A, decide to tie your left shoe first in scene J, and finally decide to buy peach-scented soap in scene Q.

There are bound to be a few people who like it, considering there's a potential audience of billions but I can't bring myself to see it as something that adds positively to the game for the majority of players.
>>
>>145870096

Rin, Katawa Shoujo.
Jett, SC2VN
Muh game
>>
>>145868757
So I'm guessing.
>The tsundere
Mariah
>the Rei-clone
Tess
>The Mary Sue
Amber
>and the literal retard
Marina
>>
>>145870096

My VN is all best girls.
>>
File: 1465963252472.jpg (328KB, 708x676px) Image search: [Google]
1465963252472.jpg
328KB, 708x676px
Okay memers, RenPy or Novelty?

I used to code shitty games a year ago, but I'd liketo see what I'm doing.

As it seems, novelty looks a bit more modern and nice than renpy, but I'd like to know your opinion on which is better.
>>
Why do evns like to have airheaded romantic interests? I find that character type somewhat offputting and half the time they come across as mentally and emotionally children.
>>
>>145870957
>Novelty
>modern
>updated 100 years ago
>>
>>145870957
RenPy. So hands down RenPy that I didn't even have to ponder it for a moment.
>>
>>145871041
>Why do evns like to have airheaded romantic interests?
>half the time they come across as mentally and emotionally children.
Because that's the closest to lolige you are going to get you pleb
>>
>>145871041
>I find that character type somewhat offputting and half the time they come across as mentally and emotionally children.

I'd guess because there are enough people who like that kind of character?
>>
>>145871151
but but but don't you know editing CODE in TEXT is so last-century
>>
>>145870909

I was talking about high school bishoujos in general. Though yeah, Tess is a textbook Rei clone, and Marina could give K-On's Yui a run for her money. Don't think the others fit too well. Mariah's just a bitch, and Amber doesn't really fit any Sue criteria.
>>
>>145870096
You were expecting me to say muh game, right?
>>
>>145871041
>Why do evns like to have airheaded romantic interests?
Because some people like them. Stop liking what I don't like.
>>
>>145871192
>>145871151
thanks for the input guys
>>
>>145870369
>can't have the slightest idea of what they'll do
Ideally, it should make some level of sense, though not necessarily a sense that's immediately apparent. The most rewarding 'hidden scenes' are the ones where the player thinks "Wait a second. So, now that I've finished the game, my best friend was secretly the daughter of the peach orchard owner all along, right? Would she react weirdly if I kept giving her peaches in the early game?"

Then if they do it and it unlocks something, they feel like they've been rewarded for being super clever.
>>
>>145867956
if i was gonna write that all down i would become a reviewer, anon
>>
>>145865980
>they even packed the original .rpy source files
how? in a zip file?
>>
>>145872340
inside the archive.rpa
>>
>>145872340
Ren'py automatically 'encrypts' the .rpy files that make up the game into .rpyc files, so people can't just fool around in your game files with a text editor.

You can then simply move the .rpy files into another directory, as the .rpyc are sufficient to run the game.

So if you find .rpy and .rpyc files in the /game directory, the devs shipped the original source files with the game. If it's only .rpyc files, they didn't.

>>145872692
archive.rpa is where the visual stuff goes.
>>
File: lisacg.png (238KB, 498x476px) Image search: [Google]
lisacg.png
238KB, 498x476px
what books does /evn/ like to read?
>>
>>145872968
and the .rpy files too, in this case
not to mention .rpycs are more like compiled, they remove some original info from the source files like layout and comments
>>
>>145872968
not to mention you can simply classify .rpy files as not being included inside renpy's build configuration, no need to move it out of the way manually
>>
>>145872984
i like young adult come at me brah
>>
>>145873205
comments like this in scene 25a
>#This scene is bad, but I guess editing for it is done
>>
>>145872968
archive.rpa is the default destination but you can create your own rpa packs e.g. images.rpa, sounds.rpa, music.rpa etc.
>>
>>145871803
this laziness is why we can't have nice things
>>
>>145873205
Eh, .rpyc files are there to stop really stupid or lazy people from digging through the game.
>>
Incest true end or do I keep them as normal siblings?
>>
>>145874248
i think it's more important cause your source files usually have all kinds of dev remnants left in them in the form of comments and the like
not always the best thing to have out there
>>
>>145874578
INCEST
>>
>>145874578
Do you even have to ask?
>>
>>145875491
>>145875830
Probably not, I'm like 99% set on the incest, but I just need the final doubt to go away.
>>
>>145865980
Unnecessary clutter how?
>>
>>145876070
JUST
DO IT
>>
>>145876240
a good example is the textbox which is way too big, has silly frills at the top that don't particularly look good and doesn't blend in at all
also i wonder if anyone ever uses the quick menu, i have never but mileage may vary i guess

the visual direction also has occasional movements that i feel pan out way differently than what they were going for, halfway attempting to put characters in a 3d-ish space but then doing completely nonsensical movements in that space
>>
>>145876070
"why does nobody respect EVNs?" they ask. "I just don't understand."
>>
>>145877143
>also i wonder if anyone ever uses the quick menu
I find quicksave handy during development. As for players, some of them don't know how to get to the normal menu, if they're not used to RenPy games.
>>
>>145877143
>halfway attempting to put characters in a 3d-ish space but then doing completely nonsensical movements in that space
i was wondering how the 3D camera worked out. i tried to use it and found it to be pretty distracting unless you spend a massive amount of time directing the timing and every last pan.
>>
>>145877143
I liked some of the direction, personally. Things like Tess climbing on Joe's back or the tourist lady laughing really sold the characters for me.
>>
>>145877215
Yes, there just isn't enough incest and fetishism. Western morality is holding the genre back.
>>
>>145877143
Me.
>>
>>145877143
Me three. I like having quick toggles for Auto and QuickSave.
>>
>>145877656
some things worked and i appreciated them putting in a modicum of effort for that, but there were also a lot of misses for me
>>
>>145877143
I often use q.save and auto features
>>
Does anybody know anything about VA-11 HALL-A?

The homepage and VNDB page don't give a lot of information, and the demo doesn't really show what the story's like either.
>>
>>145877483
>>145877962
>>145878212
good to know actually, i always considered them a waste of space personally but seeing other opinions is interesting
>>145877483
to be fair its just pressing escape like most games
>>
>>145878524
it's been in dev for a long time and will probably be pretty good. i don't think there's an unlying story, you mostly serve drinks and talk to people, and get their backstory i guess.
>>
>>145870667
So two and non-existent ones? That's sad.
>>
>>145878524
ask /agdg/-oniichan
>>
>>145870957
How about Tyranno and Unity VN Toolkit?
>>
>>145878981
too limited
>>
>>145879098
Does ren'py support live2d by now?
>>
File: 135040274457.jpg (141KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
135040274457.jpg
141KB, 1280x720px
>mfw restarting Quest Failed's demo
You're doing good work, dude.
>>
>>145879219
probably not directly, but you can export sprites as movies, it gained animated sprite support last release or so
that said i never quite got the appeal of live2d
>>
>>145879408
> i never quite got the appeal of live2d
It seems like a decent cost-cutting measure if you want lots of poses and expressions.

You pay for the initial sprite, then need somebody who can work the editor, and after that you rope in your friends or local college or acting students for the factial expressions and presto.
>>
>>145881739
I'm not sure it's as automagical as you make it sound to be, at least for decent results. You have to modify your painted sprites files to manipulate them so that they look half decent when moving around and that takes time.

Someone posted their workflow on their Tumblr blog and there was a lot of cutting and repainting involved just to make the facial expressions.
>>
>>145881739
well it looks hella cheap and gaudy to me, so cust-cutting for sure
>>
File: sheknows.jpg (92KB, 671x562px) Image search: [Google]
sheknows.jpg
92KB, 671x562px
>>145879354
ahuhuhu
>>
>>145881739
>after that you rope in your friends or local college or acting students for the factial expressions
What? Do you actually understand what live2d is?
>>
>>145881739
you wish. most live2d people want you to have everything cut up and ready for them before they begin.
>>
>>145882714
Yeah, I do. Although I have to admit I haven't looked up the terms for using the facerig plugin for commercial stuff.
>>
>>145884013
The facerig thing is just a novelty. It's not used to make motion data.
>>
>>145881739
>Cost-cutting measure
Nigger you don't know much do you? You have to prepare a shit ton of material to make one model and even then you might have to make 2-4 models of the same character for added variation. It's a lot more work and if you think they're tacky, that's only because you saw shitty applications of it.
>>
>>145881739
There's a reason why not a lot of people could jump onto the Live2D train properly, it's not easy and even if you cheap your way in, it will just show how shoddy your game is.
>>
No more tumblr noses please.
>>
>>145886387
hay fever is sexy
>>
File: 1462977205190.jpg (35KB, 342x298px) Image search: [Google]
1462977205190.jpg
35KB, 342x298px
>sc2vn
>"There are other popular answers too."
>"That it requires the dexterity of a pianist."
>>
Highway Blossoms teased me with a potential age gap relationship only to reveal that they're around the same age.
>>
>>145888484
Seems like the game has the potential to disappoint practically every player in their own individual way.
>>
>>145886387
What nose has offended you recently?

>>145888484
Did anyone look age-gappy in that?
>>
>>145888637
Ha! I have zero expectations of it and therefore cannot be disappointed.
>>
>>145889015
The meme says otherwise.
>>
>>145888484
There's a one year age gap.
>>
>>145888759
Amber brings up Marina's age and seemed shocked to find out that she's only 18. Due to her reaction and having previously guessed Marina to be a recent college graduate, I thought Amber was in her 20s, but she's only 19.
>>
>>145889283
I meant that Amber thought Marina had finished college.
>>
>>145889283
Would 18 and 20-something be enough age gap for you?

I'm still pondering my own difficulties with writing yuri agegap. I seem to have trouble being into older women. A gap of five years and a 'cool senpai' vibe is much easier to work with but I wouldn't consider it much of an age gap myself, unless one was under 15 and then it's a different problem entirely
>>
>>145890514
If you're not into it, why are you writing it? You're just going to disappoint the audience.

Age gap for me is preferably at least double digits. Anything less feels like they're just a bit older/younger, you know what I mean?
>>
Does /evn/ have a bias agianst alienware?
Why so?
>>
>>145891980
You can build your own PC for much cheaper.
>>
>>145891217
I'm currently not writing it, because I don't get it. I'm trying to figure out if I can get into it for the purposes of writing it in the future. I aim to please.

And yeah, that's about what I thought, which is why I was confused about the "teasing an age gap" comment originally thinking it was 18/20-something
>>
File: 1460856267401.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1460856267401.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>145891980
>>145892513
I see what you guys did there.
>>
>>145891980
We have a bias against sekai project.
Except for the inexplicable people who keep coming in here and going "So, I need a publisher, right?"
Perhaps we should stop hating SP so hard. We appear to be advertising for them. The devil is more powerful than nothing.
>>
>>145893281
That's some grade-A smug.
>>
>>145893281
Looked up the source, and what the hell is the difference between Monobeno and Monobeno happy end? Is the second one a sequel, or is it like an expanded version?
>>
>>145894346
It literally explains it on the vndb page.
>>
File: cirrno4.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cirrno4.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
>>145894562
my bad then, must have overread it.
>>
Oh dear, have we run out of backstab power?
>>
>>145897489
Just because people don't like you and have complaints doesn't make it backstabbing.
>>
>>145897489
This is nothing anon. At least here a solid 40% of the critics go into specific detail about how you suck. When they say "bad writing" you really get nothing out of it except that some anon didn't like your stuff. But when they go with "in scene A, B characters mull endlessly over conerns that have already been resolved to provide a false sense of emotional engagement and blah, bleh..." you get some actual pointers out of it. Even if you don't take them into account because further developments or twists invalidate that, or whatever, I can take--and even seek out--that type of criticism.
>>
>>145897884
What about when they post shopped pictures of me?
>>
>>145899191
People post 3d in this thread?
>>
>>145899191
Are you driftwood scumbag dev? If so, you deserve it all.
>>
>>145899191
Still not backstabbing. That's just regular old stabbing. Backstabbing would be actively attempting to bring down a game while saying you like it and will promote it.
>>
>>145899664
Ah. So, like, when I talk shit about a game here while being nice to the dev in public?
>>
>>145900524
Almost. You can be nice to someone and talk shit about the game. If you take criticism towards your game as you, you're doing this wrong. Not talking shit in public is PR 101 though.
>>
File: retardedscenarios.png (701KB, 1021x597px) Image search: [Google]
retardedscenarios.png
701KB, 1021x597px
Man, theres alot of things Ive been enjoying so far about Evangile but the the plot just loves to keep going full retarded at random points
>>
>>145901253
Is he forcing him to fondle his mantits?
>>
>>145900932
But talking shit in public helps get you attention and all publicity is good publicity
>>
>>145901684
Not that I'm an PR expert or anything, just my two cents:

It depends. If you get some uber retard to complain about how your game killed his family and raped his hamster, you are probably going to get a bunch of streisand effect exposure because, as dim witted as the general populace seems to be nowadays, the accusations are just too ridiculous to be taken seriously.
However, if the shit talked is somewhat on point, or simply plausible, you might have a problem because some people will reject your product on hearsay grounds only.
>>
File: jUmbs28.jpg (123KB, 1438x876px) Image search: [Google]
jUmbs28.jpg
123KB, 1438x876px
>>
>>
>>145906530
That guy better not be based on a real-life store owner or else he'd be bankrupt in a year with that electricity bill.
>>
>>145907728
Maybe those are LED lamps?
>>
>>145908046
As a BG artist studying architecture on the side, my beef here is how low the ceiling beams are. It stops you from putting proper light fixture higher up because it causes an obstruction (which also serves no practical purpose other than accentuate the room's dimensions). Right now, I'm guessing there's 18 LED lamps from this angle alone where 2-3 properly placed one would be more cost-efficient.

It's a forgivable technical mistake no one's gonna notice/care for. I'm just nitpicking, I guess. But seriously, when was the last time you walked into a store in the middle of the road with surveillance-cam spotlights 1 meter apart from each other.
>>
>>145893258
When someone is younger even a smaller age gap feels like alot. In college I thought 16 year olds were very immature. Someone fresh out of highschool can be way different than someone just out of college or has worked for the past 4 years
>>
>>145906530
>tfw no one knows how to draw old people
anime was a mistake
>>
>>145893258
She could've been 28.
>>
>>145909660
Huh, didn't thought of that but you certainly have a point. Maybe they added the beams to fill an otherwise empty space and stumbled upon the problem with the lightning.
>>
File: spiritedawayyubaba_zps7ee3aeab.jpg (47KB, 800x518px) Image search: [Google]
spiritedawayyubaba_zps7ee3aeab.jpg
47KB, 800x518px
>>145910823
Just shamelessly copy old people designs in aniem and you'll be fine.
>>
Just finished SC2VN. It was pretty good for a kinetic( the choices don't really matter, right? Or at least there were very few of them. Does one choice make something a VN?) novel about stuff I don't care about. I even read it in one go.
>>
File: jamesbondage.jpg (145KB, 1000x564px) Image search: [Google]
jamesbondage.jpg
145KB, 1000x564px
I have a newfound respect for people that manage to keep projects mall with ease. It has been a constant uphill battle to not make the jam project another big game.
>>
>>145913749
Conversely, small projects will never reach for the stars.
>>
>>145913369
I believe you can lose if you make stupid enough choices?
>>
>>145915539

Well, I don't really expect a jam vn to revolutionize the whole genre.
>>
>>145916228
Don't think of it a genre revtzng game. Think of it as "this is the absolute best I can do. The one game I want to see become a reality even if everything else goes wrong". Don't you want do make it? Don't you owe it to you to make the one thing you always wished for?
>>
>>145916724
They already got $12k to make their other game the best they wanted it to be. Let them work on their small jam project in peace.
>>
>>145916957
Ah, I see.
>>
>>145916724
>"The one game I want to see become a reality even if everything else goes wrong."

> one year and 12k later, it's no longer jam game.
>>
Dead
>>
post progress
>>
>>145920364
3.5 weeks in, 92k words
>>
File: c1.jpg (2KB, 119x67px) Image search: [Google]
c1.jpg
2KB, 119x67px
>>145920364
Okay. This is a sketch of the main heroine. I downscaled it a bit so nobody steals it. Please understand.
>>
>>145921832
nice tits
>>
>>145921972
Thanks. Giving them that refined shape wasn't easy.
>>
>>145921531
I wish I could do that. Took me almost a year to reach that wordcount.
>>
>>145921832
>steal
Any recorded incident of this happening?
>>
>>145921832
ayy
>>
>>145922865
I meant that as a joke, but I wouldn't go posting around my stuff unless I had a very conclusive way to prove the designs are mine. Like having a public demo or something.
>>
>>145921832
Yoshi?
>>
>>145923512
I think you worry way too much.
>>
>>145920364
So you can nitpick it to death? Nice try.
>>
>>145923997
Maybe, but paranoia has kept me out of harm's way all my life.
>>
>>145923858
Can't unsee now.
>>
File: Indiegogo.png (140KB, 870x672px) Image search: [Google]
Indiegogo.png
140KB, 870x672px
I'm not sure how well crowdfunding will go for them, since they haven't delivered on the Dizzy Hearts kickstarter yet. And it being indiegogo could really limit the funds as well.
>>
>>145927568
>Sell stuff at cons
Is this actually profitable considering fees and the time they'll have to invest?
>>
>>145928238
In my experience not really. It pays for itself if you've got decent product, but it's not really a PROFIT. Sometimes people do it in the hopes that senpai will notice them though.
>>
rise
>>
>>145927568
Why indiegogo? Indiegogo seems decent enough considering you'd still get something even if you don't reach the goal. Is there some down side to it?
>>
>>145930916

Projects there tend to raise less.
>>
File: 1450804674812.jpg (281KB, 599x780px) Image search: [Google]
1450804674812.jpg
281KB, 599x780px
>Our VN was popular
>So, we're doing a prequel
>We're making it longer
>We're going to have more of everything that was good
>Oh, by the way, we're only including a third of the original cast
>>
>>145931779

SC2VN? What's the problem?
>>
Tell me, how do I become the best?
>>
>>145934146
Gotta catch em 'all.
>>
>>145934146

To catch them will be your real test, but to train them must be your cause.
>>
>>145936253

Each waifu to understand, the lewdness that's inside.
>>
>>145939063
Mai waifu! It's you and me. I know it's my destiny.
>>
The desperation is real
>>
>>145943382
You must be fun at parties.
>>
My /evn/ is deder than a zombie's love life!
>>
>>145945126
I'm writing a sex scene without any actual sex, just implied at the end of it
>>
3am pity bump.
>>
File: 1465803538493.png (497KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465803538493.png
497KB, 1920x1080px
>Hey I could help you out! I'll proof read some of your writings!
>5 weeks later
>Sorry I was caught up with my studies. How's the game?

I swear to all the gods in Valhalla, I will flay you and the rest of your kin.
>>
>>145947019
Are there any evn devs that don't know this feeling?
>>
cold embrace of oblivion
>>
>>145948003
Dipshits like that makes me appreciate people who actually help out in the project and cooperates as a team.
>>
File: coderealize1.jpg (127KB, 768x435px) Image search: [Google]
coderealize1.jpg
127KB, 768x435px
Anyone knows the source of this? I only remember it being a SEA EVN. How was it?
>>
>>145951895
Code: Realize, apparently.
>>
>>145951895
wrong img? because if not that is the shoddiest detective work i've seen in awhile.
>>
>>145952346
Worthy of Herlock Sholmes.
>>
Worthy of us.
>>
File: 95795.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
95795.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>145958907
that's... that's not me
>>
>>145959167
Did you get your lips messy, senpai?
>>
>>145959167
Her oil brings all the robots in the dock and she's like it's better than yours. Damn right, it's better than yours. She can teach you but she have to charge.
>>
bug
>>
File: 1313304597985.png (156KB, 295x422px) Image search: [Google]
1313304597985.png
156KB, 295x422px
I already send you the artwork over a week ago, please pay me dev-kun...
>>
>>145964224
Don't sent the full size, un-watermarked artwork to someone with an unproven record (to be honest, to anyone.

Always send something that proves you did the job but that the dev can't easily use in game without you giving the full size file and ask for payment, deliver only after payment is in your account.
>>
>>145964224
>send the sketch/rough painting
>if it's approved, get half the amount paid and start working on finishing it
>send preview of finished work
>get paid the rest
>send hi-res finished work
it's not hard senpai
>>
File: New Canvas.jpg (71KB, 707x119px) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas.jpg
71KB, 707x119px
Dev-kun please pay me if you're in here...
>>
File: 1462617600429.jpg (43KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1462617600429.jpg
43KB, 600x338px
>>145964708
i'll pray for you artist-chan~
>>
File: 1462740591862.png (5KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
1462740591862.png
5KB, 240x210px
>>145964708
d-daijobu????
>>
>>145964708
Worst case scenario name drop the fool to serve as a warning devs and so that other artists would be wary of them. Devs like these are the worst kind of scum.
>>
>>145948003
>long time no see, anon. Whatcha doin'?
>well, I'm writing a VN but you don't need to...
>wow that sounds interesting. I'll proofread it for you!
>*sigh* Okay.
>8 months later
>done reading?
>not yet. I'm super busy with work/studies/fapping! Can't spend 2 hours to read you 45k words demo!

Every single time. I no longer tell anyone what I'm doing.
>>
File: SecretAgendaNutaku.jpg (83KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
SecretAgendaNutaku.jpg
83KB, 960x540px
>>
>>145965136
My crush tried to proofread mine once. Needless to say I CRUSHED her.

Nah. I just tried to avoid my normie account just so I wouldn't see if she ignored my message or not. It hurts ;_;
>>
>>145964224
you should work for a REAL dev instead
>>
>>145966051
Show me how a real dev does things.
>>
I just finished Highway Blossoms. Is there any other evn that has a character faking an orgasm and lying to their lover about how good it was, because their lover's bad at sex?

And it has a Goofball Mode when you complete the game, where you can play the through the entire game again with added memes.
>>
Considering buying HB.
Can anyone who's played it tell me if it's worth the $10 or not? Hopefully not a dev??
>>
>>145968260
Not a dev here, it's 10/10, worth $25.
>>
>>145968260
not worth it, i got it for free and didn't find it worth my time
>>
>>145968403
t. ign
>>
>>145968260
isn't it like 8 right now?
>>
>>145968260
It's a nakige. It's starts off fairly lighthearted, goes through some relationship uncertainty, then gets into what I consider overblown drama with the MC, before reaching a fairly satisfying ending.

It's about 4-6 hours long and was mostly enjoyable besides the overblown drama with the MC. The dialogue can feel dull and dry at times, but over all not bad.
>>
>>145968516
Are you a /u/ denizen that thinks Amber is a sloot?
>>
>>145964708
>>145964224
Name and shame, my nigga. It goes both ways.
>>
>>145968260
you could watch the thing on youtube
>>
>>145968260

I would have paid maybe five dollars for it, though I admittedly didn't finish it, I elected to return it before I blew past the three hour limit.
>>
>>145967941
>faking an orgasm and lying to their lover about how good it was, because their lover's bad at sex
That's just about the saddest thing that can happen in homo sex: the realization you can't even pleasure someone whose body should work just like yours.
>>
>>145967941
>The Hideo Kojima of EVNs was actually the Anthony Burch of EVNs all along.
>>
>>145969875
Is it sadder if you can't even pleasure your own body?
>>
>>145970291
No, because that'd explain why you can't pleasure someone else. But being able to pleasure yourself and not someone with the same set of genitals kind of implies you're weaksauce as fuck.
>>
>>145970368
Those kind of people just need a sex coach to teach them the ropes. Someone should make a VN about it.
>>
>>145970620
Sex surrogates are an actual thing. Look it up.
>>
>>145968772
nope
>>
>>145970620
> another vn about sex positivity

no thanks.
>>
>>145970291
I tend to assume that particular problem is much less common in males.
>>
>>145967941
>a Goofball Mode when you complete the game, where you can play the through the entire game again with added memes
please tell me this isn't real
>>
>>145970880
but memes are gr8 anon why wouldn't you want more
>>
>>145970786
It's not about sex positivity, it's about not sucking at sex.
>Coach fucks your girlfriend.
>That's how it's done, now you try.
>Extra credit on orgy etiquette.
>>
>>145970880

It is.
>>
>>145967941
>spoiler
This isn't what I signed up for.
>>
File: GoofballMode.png (43KB, 600x131px) Image search: [Google]
GoofballMode.png
43KB, 600x131px
>>145970880
>>
>>145970964
Nigga that's just a plain old NTR VN. It's just going to end with her addicted to the coach's cock and me out in the rain.
>>
File: 1462898354543.jpg (60KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1462898354543.jpg
60KB, 400x600px
>>145971126
>>145971008
>>145970947
and these guys thought it was a GOOD IDEA?
>>
File: 1348005263929.jpg (35KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
1348005263929.jpg
35KB, 720x400px
>>145970964
>instead of asking your s/o what they like in bed or what they'd like to try
>you'd rather be a cuck
I hope you're Swedish or Canadian.
>>
>>145971189
Fine, instead of your girlfriend you and your coach can practice on random chicks in a bar.
>>
>>145971272
It's optional. You don't have to.
>>
>>145971272
They have to balance out that overly done drama during the main game somehow.
>>
>>145971189
what if it's a BL and YOU end up fucking the coach?
>>
>>145971887
>what if it's a BL and YOU end up fucking the coach?
I don't care because BL is the shittiest fetish.
>>
>>145971887
Funnily enough somebody recently posted an upcoming JVN where you turn the guy who stole your girlfriend into your sex slave as revenge.
>>
>>145972324
I have conflicted feelings about that.
>>
>>145973603
The guy's obviously a bisexual protagonist.
>>
Did anyone hear about the exogenesis dev having an existential crisis over being diagnosed with diabetes?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2921787/exogenesis-post-apocalyptic-tokyo-adventure-visual/comments?cursor=13472767#comment-13472766
>>
>Goofball Mode is an alternate thing that unlocks after you complete the game once, and it replaces some lines (a couple dozen) with different jokes and stuff, varying in complexity. The overall "true" story never changes though!
>>
>>145974303
>going through an existential crisis over a condition that's easily treatable in the current year
>>
>>145974915
Treatable, but not curable. It's a common contributing cause of death. It's not like you got the flu.
>>
>>145976146
It's still far from a death sentence and hardly a crisis inducing diagnosis.
>>
>>145976475
maybe he was a fatty in denial, you know those who think they're perfectly healthy, just fat
>>
>>145976475
Next you'll say people who find out they're HIV+ have no reason to freak out because we have drugs for that these days.

People spiral into a funk with a herpes diagnosis and that's much less bad than diabetes.
>>
>>145976610
I'm almost certain it's type 2 because he didn't specify.
>>
>>145976610
oh look, an anon who thinks he's clever
>>
>>145976743
It's pretty much guaranteed to be type 2 for adult onset, isn't it?

While the odds of being an EVN author and also a fatty are pretty high, you don't have to be one to get slapped with type 2 though, which tends to do a number on the heads of the people it happens to, since they were sure they were virtuous and good.

Probably not the case here though.
>>
File: what.jpg (15KB, 630x91px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
15KB, 630x91px
>do you want to fuck your dad y/y?
>>
>>145977013
I know a woman who was diagnosed with type 1 late into her adulthood.
>>
File: 1370770378138.jpg (5KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1370770378138.jpg
5KB, 251x251px
>>145977204
wut?
>>
>>145977204
>recommends a fuccboi simulator for Father's Day
bruh
>"it's yaoi, but well written"
bruh
>>
>>145977204
> the game doesn't even have dilfs

come on
>>
>>145977204
Apparently part of the plot is reuniting with the MC's dad.

Also, somebody please tell him he needs to update his site so that his games at least have character bios. Pretty fucking important to know the characters in dating sims.
>>
>>145977897
You and your dad can play it together!
>>
>>145976610
like those guys who think they naturally have bigger biceps than a quarterback but it's actually fat smooshed against their body?
>>
File: 1344551368173.jpg (54KB, 460x908px) Image search: [Google]
1344551368173.jpg
54KB, 460x908px
>>145977204
>Daaaad, let's be the little fuccboi together :3
>>
http://steamcommunity.com/games/451760/announcements/
>>
>>145979717
At least they remembered to put the gallery in now
>>
>>145979717

>Still no scene select
>Forcing me to use the skip function instead if I want to read a specific part of a 6 hour vn

Now you're being stupid on purpose.
>>
>>145979960
Scene select isn't common in KNs that aren't nukige in the first place.
>>
>>145979717
>-Broke your saves again
I'm glad that I already beat it.
>>
>>145980321

Just because it isn't common doesn't mean it's not inconvenient as fuck, especially when it takes 30 seconds to implement.
>>
>>145980465
Barely anyone wants or needs it so why even bother? Look up a let's play on youtube if you want easier access.
>>
>>145980612

There's no reason NOT to include it and it literally takes zero effort. Not having it as a standard feature when it's that readily available is an objectively bad decision, sorry.
>>
>>145980612
I just know that most Lets Players are going to play it in meme mode.
>>
>>145980750
I want it and they don't have it =/= it's an objectively bad decision.
>>
>>145980850
it is an objectively bad decision
>>
Has your evn revolutionized faking lesbian orgasms today?
>>
>>145980898
So why isn't it a common complaint? Hint: because it's not an objectively bad decision and you're just upset they're not doing it the way you want.
>>
>>145980750
You could just... make save games at scenes you want to replay?

Scene selection mostly happens for h-scenes because they're an obvious thing that people might want to jump to. Without that, how would they know where you personally would want scene markers?
>>
>>145981236
i'm not the one who originally had the complaint, i'm only backing them up because you're being pretty dumb about this

there's no reason not to implement that in a modern vn when it realistically does not take much effort
>>
>>145981379
There's also no reason to do it.
>>
>>145981236

Pros to adding a scene select:
-Convenience
Cost to Implement: ~5 minutes of time

Cons to adding scene select:
-N/A

Ergo, it is an objectively bad decision. The only reason to not include it is to preserve some idiotic sense of tradition for linear VNs, which is laughable since Alienworks constantly boasts about wanting to break away from that kind of thing.
>>
>>145981473
There's no good reason to make kinetic novels, and despite that they still keep coming.
>>
>>145983930
You're still not giving an actual reason to do it. No one's not going to buy the game because it doesn't have a scene select, they'll just complain about it like the person posting here.
>>
>>145984443

>Even if it will increase the quality of my product, it's not worth my time if it won't boost sales

oy vey
>>
>>145984718

lmao, now you are just being a shit. Unless it's something they want to include, the only other reason to put something in a game is to increase sales.
>>
>>145984718
It's barely an increase that no one cares about. There's no point in wasting your time to please someone who's going to buy the game anyway.
>>
>>145985035

Well yuri seems like a guaranteed way to make sales off low quality work nowadays so by that logic they shouldn't have put any effort into the game at all.
>>
>>145985152

No, by that logic they wanted to make a decent yuri game so they put effort into making it so.
>>
If a VN doesn't have the modern conveniences established by the grand majority of other games I will not purchase it out of principle.
>>
>>145985152
>so by that logic they shouldn't have put any effort into the game at all
Did they put any effort in?
>>
>>145985381

go ahead and tell me which other kinetic evns have scene selection.
>>
>>145985564

>It's kinetic so it's fine

If there was a VN that was the same length but had a couple choices in it people would be throwing a fit.
>>
>>145985723

It makes a difference because you literally have to do nothing except press skip for a scene.
>>
>>145985960

Same with a VN with choices, except you have to move your mouse up to pick a box every 15 seconds.
>>
>>145985723
The only thing scene recollection is good for is sex scenes and multiple endings. And apparently you're not even meant to fap to the scenes in HB so why the fuck are they even there?
>>
With this kind of stuff why *wouldn't* you put in scene selection?
With it, the people who use it will find it helpful, and those who don't won't care.
Without it, those who use it will be inconvenienced, and those who don't won't care, and all you do is safe yourself a few minutes of coding just because.
>>
>>145986113
>apparently you're not even meant to fap to the scenes in HB
where on earth was this stated
>>
>>145986252
They said something about them being tasteful and meaningful. Or maybe that was SV.
>>
>>145986182
Because the inconvenience a minority faces, which isn't enough to stop them from buying the game, isn't worth addressing.
>>
>>145986685
>fuck minorities: the post

You've done it /evn/, you've reversed your tumblr tendencies

we made it
>>
>>145986043

No, because with a vn with choices you have to pick the right choices in either sequence or to accumulate points.
>>
>>145986939

Yeah, but if you want to go back and revisit a scene you already know what choices lead to it anyway, so it's fine.
>>
>>145986113
To give Amber more angst material and to point out that Marina is bad at sex, while Amber refuses to tell her that.
>>
>>145985152
>Well yuri seems like a guaranteed way to make sales off low quality work nowadays
what moon troll logic is this? I don't see that rising angels game turning in thousands of sales
>>
>>145985723
>If there was a VN that was the same length but had a couple choices in it people would be throwing a fit.
how? why? I don't think I've EVER seen an EVN with this 'scene select' you keep going on about
>>
>>145987276
That's a bit different. The dev made a previous version that had MC's crush NTR the MC with a guy, so yuri fans weren't exactly happy with the track record.
>>
Reviews for Highway Blossoms are in.

>>>/u/2075305
>>>/u/2075311
>>
>>145987809
>cross-boarding to shill your meme arrows
kek
>>
>>145987920
OP here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is
>>
>>145987809
>"Nice try shill"
>>>/u/2075326
>>
>>145834073
Does anyone know the name of the credits song?
>>
>>145989752

I'd look it up for you but there's no scene select that lets me skip to the ending scene.
>>
>>145989752
"The Bear Prayer" by Leather Tramp. It's mentioned on the OST DLC
>>
File: chapterselect.jpg (275KB, 796x625px) Image search: [Google]
chapterselect.jpg
275KB, 796x625px
>>145985564
heyo!

also it's free, you don't need to purchase it
>>
>>145989752
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsP5RuCO-Ko
>>
>>145980465
Where is the code I can copy paste to have scene selection in my VN, where do I paste it, how do I make a menu without having to produce more graphics? I already spent more than 30 seconds googling.
>>
File: n5m3krJJiq1shx5xyo1_1280.jpg (107KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
n5m3krJJiq1shx5xyo1_1280.jpg
107KB, 1024x576px
Why does UI always seem to be the thing VN's fuck up on the most? It's like everyone overthinks it to the point where they make some excessive monstrosity.
>>
>>145991317
>I'm just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>145991948
Are you saying Grisaia's UI is bad? It's readable and non-intrusive. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>145992852
The opposite- I posted it as an example of a UI that works well for what it's supposed to do. If you want bad, I could've just posted another screencap of >>145788107
>>
>>145993078
Oh good. Yeah, I love Grisaia's UI just because of how simple and effective it is.
It's common with EVNs to have over-the-fucking-top UI designs. I also don't like how the "high contrast" solution is literally a black box either.
>>
>>145993225
I puked words.
I meant the high contrast COULD be a black box, and it'd be better. The dark orange is readable, but it's ugly and at 100% opacity for whatever reason.
>>
>>145993225
Used to be common with JVNs, and EVNs tend to be many years behind the curve, so.

I always feel like it's a wasted opportunity if you just have one of those damn black gradients. Sure, they work and they're readable, usually, except when some idiot places the text too high so the gradient isn't really kicking in yet, but they have no style and do nothing to enhance the experience of reading the story.
>>
File: suffering.png (62KB, 232x165px) Image search: [Google]
suffering.png
62KB, 232x165px
>Told the HB devs a few months ago their about page said "Midwest"
>It still says "Midwest"
I guess they really don't listen to anyone. Even on catching their own mistakes.
>>
File: HyGzhO.jpg (1MB, 3840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
HyGzhO.jpg
1MB, 3840x2400px
>>
>>145994570
sure they do, they added the galery because we complains
>>
>>145994670
Shame that the background is so rough, I like the composition.
>>
>>145994189
Yes, but how often is your universal game UI, used across hours of reading in a number of variable locations and situations, really going to "enhance" the experience of your story? Unless it's actually an immersive element, its primary purpose is to serve as a platform for delivering your text in an easy-to-register way for the reader. Anything beyond that becomes a distraction from the story and other visual elements of your VN.
>>
>>145995761
Personally I vastly prefer a UI that has some kind of thematic connection to the game.
>>
>>145995761
I think it adds to the overall atmosphere, for things like horror and cute girls doing cute things a matching UI can really improve the experience for me.
>>
>>145995853
But you're implying that's impossible in a simplistic UI; you can still tie core thematic elements into a UI without making it a mess of shapes and textures.
>>
>>145996114
HB's textbox isn't an explosion of shapes and textures like some, it's just an unpleasant color.
>>
>>145996579
I'll agree it doesn't suffer some of the more common problems, but it certainly has flaws beyond just the color choice.

And I was speaking more generally, I don't think you have to look too far to find more UIs like >>145755925 in the EVN scene.
>>
>>145996114

It's not impossible, but most people tend to default to either the black box of the gradient.
>>
File: 37216.jpg (93KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
37216.jpg
93KB, 1024x768px
>>
thank god the CM ks is ending already.

> I really want to do this but only if I can get paid fairly for it
> it's not like being an artist gives me the freedom to lower my prices for the sake of a passion project
> oh wait it does
> I only realized this after we've hit 300% ;)
>>
>>146001335
yeah! artists should do everything for free because ~passion~ pays the bills
>>
>>146001496
they should do everything for free except you
>>
>>146001496

it's pretty common for indies to underpay themselves for work they do themselves for the sake of flexibility, yes. It's why many evns manage to have lower budgets - either the writers or the artists (two biggest costs) tend to foot the initial cost and make it up in sales.
>>
>>146001496
Let's be honet: charging commission rates to work on your own product at your own pace is kind of dodgy, morality-wise. You can do it, but you probably wouldn't if you really wanted to use the money to just get it done and planned on profiting off sales rather than the KS itself.
>>
>>145994570
I honestly just forgot to change it. That and I gain great satisfaction by teasing Raithfyre
>>
>>146002274
Perhaps they have no faith in their ability to sell copies
>>
>>146002517
In which case tackling it as a donor-based project on Patreon as opposed to KS would benefit everyone involved.
>>
Here I am 10 months after setting out to create an awesome EVN. I have nothing to show for it. I haven't even really started other than writing some vague notes about how the story will go. Maybe tomorrow.
>>
>>146003769
pit of shame
>>
> Might be the most realistic live2d sprites in history.

Ah, black sands. The gift that keeps on giving.
>>
>>146001335
CM?
>>
File: 1465207116108.png (138KB, 500x564px) Image search: [Google]
1465207116108.png
138KB, 500x564px
>>146004681
>sprites
>live 2d
>>
>>145990270
You really bitching on twitter because nobody responded to this?
>>
>>146004863
Caramel Mokaccino.
>>
>>146002887
I'm not sure what's the problem. It's fine if they get paid through Patreon but not if they get paid through Kickstarter?

If someone else came along and decided to make a project with her art and asked for the same amount of money, would it be better just because this other person is the one who "owns" the project? The artist would be paid the same amount of money in the end.

>>146002274
Supposedly they're going to deliver in December, which is hardly them going to do this project at their own pace.
>>
>>146005426
>The artist would be paid the same amount of money in the end.

No, because in this case they ALSO get the profits of the game.
>>
>>145990270
If it makes you feel better, I don't respond to your posts because I'm not interested in your game. Which technically means I can't shit on it, so you're still right I guess.

You're also not the only person who frequents here to have finished a game or be successful.
>>
>>146005721
do you live in canada or russia? I'm confused as to how someone so insanely jelly can maintain a strong enough solid state to operate a keyboard
>>
>>146005981
the fuck are you on about
>>
>>146005981
I only know what he said because of >>146004972
>>
>>146006180
I guess Canada developed goo girl technology?
>>
>>145988819
Implying Steam reviews mean anything when games like Sakura Spirit have high scores.
>>
>>146006403
they're both cold, genius
>>
>>146007205
that wasnt very good
try better next time
>>
>>146007205
I would rather imagine a socialist goo-girl conspiracy thanks
>>
>>146005426
Imagine if someone commissioned you to do something for yourself that only you would benefit from, and you can do that at your own pace. Rather than invest in your vision, they're paying you in the same way as your clients to do something you wanted to do anyway.

That's what KS as an artist charging their commercial rates is like. Like being hired to babysit your own kid.
>>
>>146004681
>Black Sands
>Live 2d.

What's the point even.The art is kinda gross, not like Live2D is gonna miraculously make that shit look good.
>>
>>146008064
On that topic I find it really weird when I see artists taking commissions to draw THEIR own characters doing something. Why do people pay for that stuff? It's mostly uninteresting commissions as well.
>>
>>146008562
My honest opinion is most people who commission artists in general are severely mentally ill. Thank God for them.
>>
>>146008562
>Why do people pay for that stuff?
One would assume, for the same reason they pay for commissions of any other characters. Because they like the characters.
>It's mostly uninteresting commissions as well.
Character-specific commissions are likely to be uninteresting if you're not really into the character, I'd think.
>>
How many years have they been working on Caramel Mokaccino? How many more do you think they will need after adding so many extra things to it?
>>
>>146008838
It just doesn't make complete sense to me when the artist is always drawing them a lot to begin with.
>>146008810
Honestly this is probably somewhat true. When I'd browse dA I'd see hundreds of people paying big amounts for poor quality shit or to "collect" something. There's one where they have about 300 pieces of the same badly designed character from different artists.

Anyway, tiny rant over.
>>
>>146009231
>It just doesn't make complete sense to me when the artist is always drawing them a lot to begin with.
It's an "I need money" thing. If someone already draws my waifu and draws them well, and then they post that they need money and are taking commissions, I might commission them to draw more of that character because I really like it and they're good at it.

Although if you already draw that character a lot the requests are more likely to be weird variants that you wouldn't normally do, which could get awkward.

As a commission artist, expect to learn more about other people's fetishes than you ever wanted to know.
>>
>>146009231
>It just doesn't make complete sense to me when the artist is always drawing them a lot to begin with.
You can hope they draw [character] doing [activity] or you can commission them to do it, and exactly the way you want it too. Not only that, but you'll get a little one-on-one interaction with the person who created the characters you like. It's not that weird when you think about it.
>>
>>
>>146012115
It's quite a bleak backdrop.
I wonder what Frater the Tater is about to say.
>>
File: 86426.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
86426.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>146016894
why
>>
>>146017213
current year
>>
>>146017213
wouldn't you?
>>
>>146016894
No.
>>
File: 13130.jpg (163KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
13130.jpg
163KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>146020187
well he does not look happy at all
>>
File: bark.gif (71KB, 207x207px) Image search: [Google]
bark.gif
71KB, 207x207px
>>146020187
>using wall twice in the same sentence like that
>>
>>145893281
Is there an EVN where the PC can be the smug little girl?
>>
>>146021337
Why would you want to be the smug little girl drilled countless times by her oniichan? Are you one of "those" people?
>>
>>146020872
TO THE WINDOOW
>>
>>146021337
Does she count?
>>
>>146021482
No.
I want to be the smug little girl who holds hands with oneechan
>>
>>146021567
Yes, that's an acceptable amount of smug. I've already played that, unfortunately.
>>
File: wdk_left.png (41KB, 480x434px) Image search: [Google]
wdk_left.png
41KB, 480x434px
>>146004972
Sure, why not? I don't really care about it that much. Good to know some of you check my Twitter though!

>>146005721
Admittedly there is like a handful of people from here who successfully released their games, I was just exaggerating, though I don't hear much about them anymore.
>>
What does it feel to have a game people care about so little that they won't even shit on it?
>>
>>146024321
I'm OK I guess. Once in a blue moon someone tells me that have played and they kinda liked them.
>>
>>146024321
It feels okay after witnessing highway blossoms repeatedly get reamed.
>>
File: 7107.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
7107.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
>>
>>146025783
Not like it's not unwarranted. HB got hyped a lot and but it didn't deliver. Plus, it's pretty mediocre.
>>
>>146027378
did they forget to remove "out here" when changing it to "down here" or something??
>>
>>146030119
People don't always speak in perfect grammar
>>
>>146030438
No shit sherlock.
>>
>>146028295
It's almost certainly fine and people here just like to bitch
>>
>>146032281

It's not the worst thing created, but I certainly wouldn't call it "fine" either.
>>
wait what does /evn/ stand for
I was real quick going to ask a question about a vn but I don't know if it goes here because I have no idea what an /evn/ is
>>
>>146034218
English Visual Novels.
>>
>>146034338
as in originally made in English? I'd imagine since it says translated japanese stuff belongs in /vn/ that they don't count
>>
>>146034338
And by that people tend to mean everything not japanese.
>>
>>146034427
technically japanese visual novels are supposed to be in /jp/ but nobody really cares and just sticks them in /vn/, but translated japanese ones definitely go there
>>
Does anyone know why Mariah is wearing black during the Vegas events? Seems weird to have another outfit just for that.
>>
>>146032281
It was missing scripts when it launched. The journal entries didn't all show up like they were supposed to and it confused that section of the story.

They broke saves for the game twice, once when the H patch was applied, and once when they released an update to address some of the issues.

The art had some issues, especially the repeatedly used CG of the 2 sitting in the motor home.

The drama in the latter half was not executed well. The reasoning came off as moronic, the MC became very unlikable, and it went on for way too long for such a short VN. The fact that the love interest forgave her so easily was fairly unbelievable as well.

This didn't really bother me, but I know some people are pissed because of the way the second ero scene played out.

As for what the game did well, I thought was music was pretty good. Overall the art was decent. And the story was enjoyable at the start and at the end.
>>
>>146034906
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

I wish Mariah had a route, or at least her own love interest.
>>
>>146035175
>The reasoning came off as moronic, the MC became very unlikable

I'm not so sure about that. I think that's a somewhat realistic reaction to grief. Over dramatized, sure, but it was built up over the course of the story and made sense for the character.
>>
>>146035175
Personally the first two don't much to me. I mean, those are valid issues that you can take into account if they ask for funding for a new game, but they don't affect the quality of the already released game.

How would you say it compares to starlight vega?
>>
>>146036369
I'd say I liked Starlight Vega better. It had romance options and the story was more interesting. For some reason Highway Blossoms story just came off as really dry (no pun intended). Both games had some art and programming issues, so I'm just going to consider those areas a draw.
>>
>>146037108
>just came off as really dry (no pun intended)
I feel like an idiot but I have no idea what the pun here is.

>Both games had some art and programming issues, so I'm just going to consider those areas a draw.
Yeah, that's why I asked. I know starlight vega got a lot of shit about the art and such, but honestly most of it didn't bother me and it was enjoyable.
>>
>>146035371
>implying her and Joseph aren't OTP
>>
>>146036158
It's like she's fine when they first confess, but then practically the next day, boom, she doesn't think they can be together. I wish there was more time before the explosion, because it just felt like the game was rushing from one point to another. The over dramatization just made it more glaring.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of nakige, so if I had known it would be one, I likely would've passed on it. I was expecting a slice of life adventure with some romance and comedy thrown in, not the major dose of drama the game delivered.
>>
>>146037360
The dry pun is because it takes place in a desert, which are typically quite dry.

>>146037459
She straight out says they aren't and that she might only pity marry him in 10 years if he's still single, implying if she couldn't find anyone herself either. She also picked up on Marina and Amber being gay really quickly, and her and Amber had some nice belligerent sexual tension going on.
>>
>>146037801
>She straight out says they aren't and that she might only pity marry him in 10 years if he's still single
I almost felt like that was tsun coming through
>>
>>146040625
Never expect any female character to be straight in a yuri game. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a spinoff of Mariah getting her own girlfriend.
Thread posts: 711
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.