[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you're just getting old, games are better now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 19

File: Sword_of_Fury.png (283KB, 480x352px) Image search: [Google]
Sword_of_Fury.png
283KB, 480x352px
>you're just getting old, games are better now
>>
They are not necessarily better, but they are on the same level. It's just easier to forget the shit of the past and focus on the happier memories.
>>
>>387528305

>but they are on the same level

LEL
>>
>>387528436
t. Nostalgiafag
>>
>>387528305
>They are not necessarily better, but they are on the same level.
Bullshit. Games nowadays are loaded with
>45 minute unskippable cutscenes
>qte's, arrows showing you wear to go and what to do, and the first hour of "gameplay" being a tutorial
>open world nonsense where you basically walk around doing nothing
Numale gaming was a mistake.
>>
>>387528458

Do you really believe this?

Where you born in the late 200Xs?
>>
>>387528305
>It's just easier to forget the shit of the past and focus on the happier memories.
Personally I feel it's the opposite.
>>
>>387528180
Tibia was ruined by Brazilians.
>>
File: 1403313586829.jpg (451KB, 4040x626px) Image search: [Google]
1403313586829.jpg
451KB, 4040x626px
Casuals and greed made everything safe and soulless. We had shit games back then but we also had real gems and innovation. Nobody today is dropping 100 mil on someone's promise that they're gonna make a great game, well aside from crowdfunding I guess but look at how that usually turns out (it's not all trash of course).
>>
Literally anyone who says games haven't changed and just got better are fucking normies. The games did get better... better for them. The game market pivoted towards these fuck heads who think games should be movies. Just look at any recent e3: there is never any fucking game play footage, just stupid prerendered garbage - and their new audience eats that shit up
>>
>>387528180
If I was objective, they're simultaneously more and less polished, and more repetitive.

More repetitive in that they're bigger, more time-consuming, and more expensive to make, and so companies are less willing then ever to take risks, experiment, or try something new, so all we get is, for the most part, the same ten or twenty cookie-cutter games with slight twists, gimmicks, and changes in setting thrown at us over and over again. More polished in that, if you do the same thing over and over again, eventually you're gonna get pretty good at it and figure out what works.

Less polished in that half the time they underestimate the workload, don't leave enough time for setbacks, or just set too early a release date and shove that shit out onto shelves half-done and with the edges sewn together instead of actually finishing the fucking product.

I'd kind of hoped the indie scene, with lower expectations, less pressure, and without the demand for the meme graphics, would become the new proving ground for experimental games. Instead it just became a swamp of fucking nostalgia, remaking old games and spiritual successors because people think they want the same thing over again instead of doing something new.
>>
>>387530065
Tibia was never good tho RS is also shit
>>
>>387528180
I used to trap noobs on rookgaard all the time
Good times,good times
>>
>>387528180
tibia? always fucking sucked
>>
Current trends are shit but the best games of these days don't follow them and they're better than the best games of past generations.
>>
>>387528180
Makes me want to play Ultima 7 instead
>>
File: 1497069614007.png (9KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
1497069614007.png
9KB, 300x310px
>Games now are just as challenging as they were back then!
>IS CRASH BANDICOOT THE DARK SOULS OF PLATFORMERS?
>>
>>387533853
This thread is about quality, not challenge and if you think there's any relation between the two please removed your self from this planet.
>>
File: 1373331614181.jpg (123KB, 790x447px) Image search: [Google]
1373331614181.jpg
123KB, 790x447px
>>387528305
This. Nostalgia is a powerful feeling.

>muh music was better in the past
>muh vidyer was better
>kids these days don't know what good movies are like
> technology is harmful to kids

Never listen to these types of people, they're outdated and stuck in the past.
>>
Yeah, but alllllllll the awesome ideas came from the PAST!! AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA, woo!
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>387528180
Im just sick of cinematic 3rd person shooters. Also I miss AA games, the only innovation now comes from indies who don't have the proper publisher backing like AA devs used to so while they have cool ideas they fall flat. Or they have good gameplay but have shitty pixel graphics or something.
>>
File: 1484291151641.jpg (6KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
1484291151641.jpg
6KB, 264x191px
>>387530636
>>
File: ps2_competition_curbstomp.jpg (123KB, 1024x901px) Image search: [Google]
ps2_competition_curbstomp.jpg
123KB, 1024x901px
>>387528305
>>387534038
>HURR DURR IT IS JUST NOSTALGIA I AM SO SMART FOR REALIZING THIS UNLIKE YOU SHEEP

kys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_video_gaming
>>
everquest/wow were the worst things to ever happen to MMOs
>>
>>387528305
ballooned development costs pushed a lot of smaller devs out of business and most of the big ones try to make shallow crap to appeal to as wide an audience as possible because it's the only way they're making that 20 billion dollar marketing budget back.
>>
>>387535410
Yeah you find all of those games so good because of nostalgia. None of these lists ever take the massive amounts of garbage and shovelware into account. Keep trying though.
>>
>>387534004
>remove yourself from this planet
I will, but how?
>>
>>387528180
>It looks better now so clearly it's just plain better
>>
>>387536129
Shove yourself up your butt
>>
>>387535410
I'm not gonna argue with a nostalgiafag like you. I've found great games in every gen.
>>
>>387534004
>Challenge is not an intrinsic value contributing to the quality of a game
And this is why modern """"""gaming"""""" is shit.
>>
>>387536164
Even looks are arguable. Modern games often has shitty lighting and filters that detract from the visuals.
>>
>>387528458
t. Newfag
>>
>>387531229
>tho
Discarded
>>
>>387528180
I remember when I was trying to discover Rookgaard's secrets and all I found was a bunch of lore stuff. Fun times.
>>
>>387535410
Nearly half of those games are shit, and/or have been superseded by later entries in their respective franchises.
>>
Tibia was ruined by bots though.
>>
File: IMG_0003.jpg (40KB, 296x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0003.jpg
40KB, 296x400px
>>387536408
>>
>>387528180
it is all abut the new generations. get used to it.
>>
>>387535410
Don't feel bad anon, only people like us who lived through the good eras of gaming know what is good and bad.

We will never have another 1998, where every company was putting out something good all year.
>>
>>387536259
It never was, youngfag. Kirby games have been easy and fun since before you were born.
>>
>>387536638
So you were born well after 2000?
>>
>>387536668
>I have found a well liked game that is low in challgenge - your argument is invalid!

Kirby has late game segments in the SNES titles especially that maintain solid challenge. Also they were games made for entry level gamers.

I mean fuck Sonic was a casual friendly franchise and today's newfag gaming crowd can't stop bitching about the mean ol' robots making them lose their rings :'((((
>>
>>387536963
Your mom was made for entry level gamers
>>
>>387528180
There is no longer a good reason for companies to be creative when making video games
Indie developers don't have to be creative either, just make what people will buy, it doesn't have to be a good game
>>
>>387536963
Yeah and people like you think they're hardcore for beating Mario or Mega Man or whatever when they ain't got shit on the arcade classics. Let me see your Gradius III 1CC then you get to talk shit.
>>
>>387536342
kys bae
>>
>>387528305
No, the stock market ruins everything because of the way it's designed.
By the way, the stock market is not based on profit. It's based on "stock price" which really has nothing to do with profit.
>>
>>387536757
uh no

fuck you, im probably older than all you fucks
im saying, gaming was fucking amazing and now its stale as fuck because devs can't remember what made games good

we NEVER got fucking yearly releases that weren't sports games. sure, we got some SHIT ASS GAMES like bubsy 3D, but too much AAA shit which SHOULD be fucking 10/10 isn't and is more like 6/10 meh.

too much shit is safe now too, can't have a real hard game, gotta make sure you have your pre order dlc, gotta make sure you have a 1 hour unskippable tutorial section!

there are good shit now, its just too damn far and between. you would know this if you fucking lived through the SNES era.
>>
>>387537429
No. I feel Mario and Mega Man should have remained the baseline. Nobody in the 90s was fucking hardcore for beating middle of the road difficulty. It's just fucking pathetic what passes for a "game" now.

There's no fucking risk/reward at all in half of this shit.
>>
These kinds of claims are always iffy as hell. People around here don't like to admit it, but it's really easy to become biased and jaded.

That said, I think right now gaming is in a decent spot. As somebody who has been taking interest in the industry since maybe 1996 (and retroactively played/expored a lot of even older stuff):
1990-1997 was an era of discovery - of new systems, of new genres, of ways to communicate through games. A lot of very novel and varied projects were there, but a LOT of them really struggled with polish, or with complexity.
1997-2004 is - to me, the golden era. I think maybe 70% my favorite games come from this time. I really do believe that in many ways, most genres peaked in this time.
2004-2007/8 was when things start to crawl down. A bit of the previous steam was lost, studios that previously made the peak games of their genres making weird fuck-ups, sequels that failed to live up on the potential... there were still quite a few good games, but it was also the time when consoles started imposing their limitations and multiplatforming has started seriously negatively affect old PC standards... It's around here where most of the negative sentimes that people still express around here started showing up.

2008-2013-ish: Now that is the real DARK AGE of games. Seriously, sometimes I wonder if most people whining about games today are either still stuck in this period and did not notice things have changed, or if they parrot attitudes that formed (especially around /v/) in those days.
Since then, things have actually been gradually improving. I think 2015-17 may have been a small golden era in itself.

Basically, you have the Doom grand-dads, the Deus Ex golden era kids, the Halo and Cod Generation, and now the Minecraft generation. And I think the Halo and Cod generation was BY FAR the worst era for gaming, and might be the worst generation of gamers too.

I'm pretty grateful for what we have now. Things have been so much worse.
>>
>>387537614
So yes you are a underage retard that does not know that gaming always a few gems and huge amount of meh to crap. Ok then
>>
>>387535810
why everquest? because of the tigole stuff? I never got to play it back then, my parents wouldn't let me play anything that required a subscription.
>>
>>387537995
i wish you would get zapped every time you were wrong, faggot.

you know you are, right?
the amount of good shit we had back in the day MASSIVELY outweighed the number of shit games that came out

just look at the wii, your first gaming system probably. 99% of the fucking thing is shovelware. fuck you, babby.
>>
>>387528180
Every time I go back and play a game that I really used to love, I just get disappointed. The graphics are always shit, or the controls are too loose, or some other problem. I do think that games today are probably programmed better, or at least there are some conveniences that didn't get put into older games.
>>
>>387537614
>we NEVER got fucking yearly releases that weren't sports games.
So you don't remember the billion Mega Man games or how Tomb Raider was run into the ground because the publisher wanted yearly releases?
>>
>>387528503
>45 minute unskippable cutscenes
fucking Golden Sun
>>
>>387537614
>we NEVER got fucking yearly releases that weren't sports games.
Mega Man?
Tomb Rider?
Might and Magic?
Ultima?
Wizardy?
Yeah kid, you weren't around more than a decade ago.
>>
>>387538202
what exactly are tight controls to you
>>
>>387538208
not to the extent that fucking CoD, AssCreed and others. fucking asshole, nice try!

also, mega man had no game out in fucking 1989! it was the one year we didnt, so no, not a yearly thing

FUCK
YOU
>>
>>387538197
You are just proving my point about you being a underage moron fag lord.
>>
>>387538202
>whining about old graphics is the first thing you do
Guess how I know you're a pleb.
>>
>>387536757
I'm a young little girl ^.~
>>
>>387538197
You're retarded. Look at the entire catalog of NES games. 80% of those games are trash.
>>
>>387538520
Go home moot you are drunk.
>>
>>387537225
I wonder if you people even realize how stupid the things you say really are.

>>387535937
This was true and serious problem of the industry seven years ago. But things have changed since then drastically. In fact right now we are facing very much the opposite situation.
>>
>>387537614
darj souls is the hardest game ever and slyrim has infinite quest... what else u want??
>>
File: makes_you_ponder.png (182KB, 313x318px) Image search: [Google]
makes_you_ponder.png
182KB, 313x318px
>>387528180
Tibia is what makes me wonder if the "games were always shit" meme is true. It was good but looking back I realize how grindy it is, specially since I played a pokemon tibia clone, and I wonder if I could still take the grind today and say the game is good unlike modern mmos/gacha. 'Course, grinding was the point of the game and not a means to something else so I don't know.
>>
>>387538409
>not to the extent that fucking CoD, AssCreed and others. fucking asshole, nice try!
See >>387538405

What is the point of bitching about present if you can't even get the basic data right? It's not like there aren't REAL things to complain about, so why the fuck are you people insisting on making up bullshit?
>>
>>387538409
>mega man skipped one year so it doesn't count
AssCreed also skipped a year so it doesn't count either, then. Call of Duty might've as well, can't be arsed to check.

Also, you write like a retard.
>>
>>387538409
89 was the burger release of mega man 2. from 87 to 97 there was at least one mega man game released a year including localizations, and from 91 to 95 there was also a handheld release each year.
>>
>>387537669
it's not just about the challenge, music and atmosphere play a huge part. Not saying they were the most challenging, but built right is built right, regardless of the genre.
>>
File: right.png (260KB, 369x334px) Image search: [Google]
right.png
260KB, 369x334px
>>387528180
The idea behind this is both false and true at the same time.

It's false because gaming has gotten worse as developers and publishers realized that modern gamers do not have a higher standard of quality with which to base their purchase decisions on. So they can get away with increasingly less quality titles that get bought anyway on marketing and name value. While this has always been true, it's especially prevalent today as the practice is more popularized by gaming being a successful multibillion dollar industry.

It's true in the way that, because you get older your tastes are more well refined and you know what you want. You stop being the target audience because younger gamers are easier to appease, so you get faded out by the corporations because you're not a profitable group anymore that will just buy ANY game like the younger gamers will. This is why /v/ is filled with middle aged (like me) and mid to late 20's faggots who are always complaining, because games aren't made with us in mind anymore. We get thrown the occasional bone but most of us (who actually have standards) are playing indie shit/romhacks (like AM2R, and Terraria) now or wait for that occasional bone to be thrown to us while we play old shit, like how Nintendo is doing with Metroid prime 4/Their version of metroid 2.

tl;dr corporations never cared about us, only money. If you think that corporation you're defending now gives a fuck about you, wait 5-10 years. The young that were calling us nostalgia goggled or say we wore "rose tinted glasses" are having their tastes and standards fucked now, karma faggots.
>>
>>387538701
one time in high school my girlfriend was grinding me on her bed but we heard her mom come in so I left her room real fast and sat on the stairs with a boner
>>
>>387538531
never said the NES library was ALL fucking good
i hate assholes who fucking have a complete set of shit they will never play

i rented a good portion of those games too back when, so i KNOW the fucking NES has shit. only has like 150 games WORTH owning.

its like you fucks don't get it, at fucking all.
there is a damn reason we don't remember the shit games, because THEY ARE FUCKING SHIT!

who is gonna remember the Wii U?
who is gonna remember the Xbox 1?

it takes at least SOME good games to remember SOMETHING. shit, even the damn Virtual Boy has fucking VB Wario Land, fucking locked on that system forever and would have been damn perfect for the 3DS. asshole nintendo fucks.
>>
File: 1401891465083.jpg (834KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1401891465083.jpg
834KB, 1214x1239px
>>387539134
>>
>>387539134
suit yourself but i prefer my asshole to have a complete shit so I don't have to play musical toilets all day
>>
>>387538197
Oh wow. does there even exists a system where most of the games weren't just either mediocre or bad?
>>
>>387537991
I like you. Wanna make out?
>>
>>387538701
Grinding is always a means to an end, not the end itself. You grinded to level up, so you could access new areas, use new equipment, impress your friends, whatever. Nobody, not now, not before, not ever, grinds for grinding's sake.

I'd even say gacha is better since you can just whip out your phone any time you have a few minutes to kill.
>>
>>387539019
i never cared about corps, only devs
and when fucking devs start losing their damn minds, like konami and capcom, i worry about gamings future.
>>
>>387528180
> someone thought this perspective was fun

The japs did it well in the 80s with zelda, final fantasy and dragon quest
>>
>>387539296
a/s/l?
>>
>>387539042
> gf in high school

leave
>>
>>387539224
your picture isn't a rep of me, it needs less hair and more fat, also i need to weigh 530lbs and go for surgery that is PAID FOR BY US TAXPAYERS!

also, did he live?
do we have pics of the flying squirrel flaps yet?
>>
>>387539338
Well...it's not like we didn't see those 2 cases coming. Anyone with a brain could see Capcom spiraling into their own death. Konami was a tiny bit more subtle until recent years where all the bullshit got revealed, like them isolating and screwed over their own devs n shit.
>>
>>387539338
>devs aren't corps

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>387539264
A CERTAIN NES GUIDE BOOK WOULD TELL YOU WRONG!
>>
>>387539387
16/f/cali you? ;)
>>
>>387539467
Then fix the pic fag flag.
>>
>>387538772
I don't know if you recall, but people didn't really play video games until the PS2 era. They're making shit up because they weren't born or they were the ones crushing your nuts in the school yard for being a turbo-dork (ie: didn't play vidja).
>>
>>387535410
>HURR DURR IT IS JUST NOSTALGIA I AM SO SMART FOR REALIZING THIS UNLIKE YOU SHEEP
no they're not smart for realizing this, because it's so blatantly obvious.
children are happy and easily impressed so they like pretty much every game they play. now you are probably depressed and tired of life so it's harder to make you feel like you felt as a kid playing a new game. you refuse to believe it's simply because you're unhappy because that would bum you out even more so you tell yourself that you aren't the one harder to make happy, it's everything else that's getting worse.

>kys
admit it, you've contemplated killing yourself at least once this month
>>
>>387539634
but im lazy, just like 99% of this site!
i have no hopes/dreams, i just wallow away life on this site for the last 13 years!
>>
>>387538701
The thing is, grinding in those games entailed a certain degree of risk and preparation that kept things interesting. Nowadays grinding is just asscancer that only leads to more grinding and then more grinding.

In a sense, nothing's changed, but the grind in-between has been dilluted so much there's not a smidge of fun to be found anymore.
>>
>>387539861
What if I told you the majority of my early gaming career happened when I was a depressed teen? Nice attempt at generalization faggot, try again when you've had a few more years to develop intuition and awareness.
>>
>>387539935
Then go die by pooping on your underage face.
>>
>>387539019
>gaming has gotten worse as developers and publishers realized that modern gamers do not have a higher standard of quality
>So they can get away with increasingly less quality titles
Not really. The amount of work poured on AAA games is actually quite impressive, the tech behind some of these engines, the stuff they can do, all the mocapped animations. AssCreed's animation system is pretty amazing stuff even if we have become used to the bling of big budget games and that sort of stuff barely makes you blink anymore.

Of course, you're talking about gameplay when you mention quality, but the point of the above paragraph is that the majority of the people (aka the ones with the money) want quality of presentation, not quality of gameplay. Well, it'd depend what you consider to be "quality gameplay", remember that these people pick up maybe one or two games a year and play them on and off in between other activities, these are people that consider Dark Souls ball bustingly hard. They want an easy, pretty ride. And they're the majority, so they get to have it.
>>
>>387539592
And now I'm having flashback to Yahoo Chat circa 1998.
>>
>>387539846
>They're making shit up because they weren't born or they were the ones crushing your nuts in the school yard for being a turbo-dork (ie: didn't play vidja).
Seriously, posts like these makes me really fucking happy I grew up in a country where this dork/playing games stigma actually didn't exist.
>>
>>387540171
I was there too.
>>
>>387528180
So what was behind that door?
>>
File: nes.jpg (63KB, 859x210px) Image search: [Google]
nes.jpg
63KB, 859x210px
>>387539552
BUT YOUR BOOK IS SCARY WITH STARS AND SHIT
>>
>>387540312
It didn't exist in my part of America for what it's worth. Every kid on the playground, Dean Starfucker or Wimbleton Tinypecs, had a favorite game. It was the common ground that we bonded over.
>>
>>387540368
Ahhhh... the pedophiles fishing in those waters. I still remember some 30 years old British guy trying to convince me fly to London to meet him a have a sex change. Those childhood memories...
>>
>>387540054
>I was a teen in 1998
so maybe you don't like games now because you're in your 40's?
there is also a difference between an angsty teen who listens to Korn and a middle aged person who still browses 4chan
>>
>>387534038
>outdated

meaningless.
>>
>>387540618
that would make them 30s
>>
>>387540716
it's called exaggerating. my point is, he's old
>>
>>387540618
Maybe I don't like games now because they're fucking lame and the same shit I've been playing forever but with infinitely more money and less effort put into them. Quit trying to put words in people's mouths you cock sucker.
>>
>>387540887
you'll be old too. it's just matter of time.
>>
>>387540530
That's because you're underage. Kids didn't stop getting beat up over vidja and nerd shit until like Pokemon for Gameboy.
>>
>>387540530
In central Europe, people smart who could afford a computer were rich elite, and people smart enough to run a game on were considered prospective intellectuals. Since buying pre-made PC's was expensive (nobody really even considered buying a console because that would be a fucking waste of money), everyone had to build their own machine. Arguing about which parts are better and talking about fictional computers we would build was a popular subject for boys in school.

Just about one third of kids had access to a computer, but those were the REALLY popular kids. Everybody wanted to come over and play something. I remember a boy who would be ringing on our doors at 6.30 A.M. hoping he could "hang out" (play something on our new celeron 300a equiped machine) before we'd go to school.
>>
>>387541081
I had Mario 3 and Sonic 1 in mind. That was all around 4th grade. Sorry I should have been more clear.
>>
>>387540952
>Quit trying to put words in people's mouths you cock sucker.
you mean "quit reading me like an open book, it's bumming me out"
>>387540980
not if I kill myself first.
check mate
>>
>>387541221
Lucky then. I was still getting cucked for SNES/Sega games. I remember the mood changed right around Sonic and Knuckles and was in full turnaround by 64 times.
>>
File: sairiaoh.png (337KB, 606x681px) Image search: [Google]
sairiaoh.png
337KB, 606x681px
Problem with the past compared to the present is we filtered out all the bad shit in the past and focus mostly on the good games.

That being said the 90s and early 00s had pretty consistant good hits, problem now is that the gaming corperations are way too big and focus too much on investor fueled focus testing, and people with legitimately fun ideas and potential for good games are stuck with a lack of resources, so much so that many of them are just going back to making board games, which has much less competition.
>>
>>387541282
The only thing that's bumming me out is that a specimen such as yourself shares a species with me.
>>
>>387541119
you're just young
>>
>>387541382
Yeah by 8th grade the football players and other popular kids would fucking hum Ocarina of Time tunes in class.

Idk, maybe that's the benefit of a small town.
>>
File: mad.png (150KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
mad.png
150KB, 700x615px
>>387540952
>Maybe I don't like games now
Then why don't you look for a new hobby?
>>
>>387541651
I did, quit making assumptions you retards. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the occasional quality game that manages to get made these days (before it gets ruined with DLC and loot crates).
>>
Better software = Increase in production values = More expensive shit = Developers will try to make games that appeal to the highest amount of people possible = More QTEs/Cinematic-centered games
>>
>tfw waking up to an update
>useless swamp is now Venore
>>
>>387541539
epic zinger bro, did you craft that one by yourself?
>>
>>387541856
Now this is interesting. Did they really add Carlin, Ab'dendriel and Kazordoon stuff just like that?
>>
I don't know.
Minecraft came proved that
A) games don't have to be top-of-the-line-graphical-tech to be smashing hits, prompting more creative approaches to art direction and visuals
B) early development funding works
C) proved that EXPLORATION and CREATIVE EXPRESSIONALITY can be a major selling point of a game again.
D) Notch started the Kickstarter crazy which in return not only opened a bypass of the big corporation, but generally gave the industry a lesson that there is profit to be made in in smaller audiences and forgotten franchises.

Steam introduced Greenlight and Early Access, and eventually opened the flood gates complety - providing MASSIVE opportunities for renessaince of indie and mid-ranged developers and further diversification of the genre.

Demon/Dark Souls proved that challenge has mass appeal and isn't something just an absolute niche would care about.

Quality Expecations from PC ports have risen drastically (I honestly believe TB had a role in that).

DX:HR proved that franchises through to be completely lost can still be brought to life in dignified manner and work on multiple platforms without compromising anything drastically.
Dishonored taught people that shitty U.I. can be fucking customizable. Also that risky new/ancient IP's can do well.

New Vegas taught us that sometimes even something really bad can be salvaged if you listen to fans and get the right people together.

Meanwhile:
The CoD bubble vaned away
The Halo bubble vaned away
The Gears of Wars bubble vaned away
The AssCreed bubble vaned away
The CASUAL GAMING horror vaned away
The MOBILE GAMING horror vaned away
The worst of Free-to-play horror is gradually vaning away too.

Cross platform support and porting is more available than any.
Support is easy and relatively functional.
Steam refunds are good thing.
Demos are making a bit of come-back too.

There is more variety of genres, niches, specialization, sizes of companies and formats than ever. A lot has been improved.
>>
>>387535810
it all dates back to dikumud
>>
>>387528180
I honestly wouldn't be able to play this without rotating my monitor 90 degress
>>
>>387541546
>you're just young
28 is young here?

I mean it's kinda flattering if somebody tells me "You are still young", it's a nice change from the usual "Look at what you are still doing at your age: go be more productive at your age!" but...

I do not feel particularly young myself here now. Being only a few month younger and I'd still be born in socialist Czechoslovakia for fuck sake.
>>
File: 1503082287249.png (342KB, 352x480px) Image search: [Google]
1503082287249.png
342KB, 352x480px
>>387542414
That would just make it worse.
>>
>>387539459
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>387542524
it is when you're saying that only smart people could run games on pc or even had pc. that just sounds sad to be honest. 28? at least w95 was round when you did anything. but you just have to be extra smart to click that .exe file to run your game comrade ^^
>>
>>387534038
Music does seem to be better in the past, but the crap has been filtered out and only timeless classics remain, while today you have so much noise with some gems here and there.
>>
File: 1452805808291.jpg (90KB, 499x368px) Image search: [Google]
1452805808291.jpg
90KB, 499x368px
>>387528436
>>387528503
>>387535937
>>387537592
>>387530636
>>387534935
>>387539019
>>387541773
>conflating western video games with video games in general
>>
>>387528180
I dont know man they seem boring as fuck nowadays.
Maybe I might have seen everythign already so it seems old.
Aside from that still waiting for bannerlord.
>>
File: 1372310690101.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1372310690101.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
>>387544234
>>
File: 1489888013044.jpg (290KB, 1280x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489888013044.jpg
290KB, 1280x1080px
>>387544529
>westcuck outing self with redditard memeing
Every.
Fucking.
Time.
>>
>>387543424
>>it is when you're saying that only smart people could run games on pc or even had pc
In the 90's, man. In the 90's. And I was talking about how it was viewed among our peers, and adults above the age 30 to whom computers were complete magic.And running games back then was not always as easy as it seemed too, especially since nobody played legit copies.

>>387543424
>at least w95 was round when you did anything
I vaguely remember starting out games in MDOS till we got a new computer (the great celorn 300a beast which was I think 1999.)
I was ten at the time.
And yes, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but we were surrounded by people brought up in Husak's Era - people who lived through the brunt of Socialist Normalization. To them knowing how to operate the mouse was quite a mystical act.
To me it wasn't anything special, of course, but most of the people, including kids who did not have their own computers.... Pretty sweet time.

Never seen any stigma like that later on either.
In highchool, I remember how a week after Oblivion came out, the girls in our class staged an actual intervention for us boys, because they were incredibly frustrated with us boys (all of us, even the sport-oriented Jocks were just getting together talking about it.).
I was a bit too hastened, because it took us two week to start to realize how bad Oblivion really was, and quickly lose interest.
>>
File: 1366729124512.jpg (30KB, 465x373px) Image search: [Google]
1366729124512.jpg
30KB, 465x373px
>>387544841
>Underage retard outing self with butthurt reply
Every
Fucking
Time
>>
>>387542316
>The MOBILE GAMING horror vaned away
?????
>>
>>387545597
It did, didn't you?
When was the last time you saw people freaking out insanely about how whole industry is dead because of phones, and how all big companies will now be doing nothing but phone apps?ยจ

Seems like that was a very overblown histeria.
>>
>>387528180
They might not be as good but they dont reach the same depths of terrible that used to be reached on a daily basis
>>
>>387545812
Oh, I understand now. I thought you meant the mobile game market vanned away, instead of the fear of it.
>>
>>387546150
Nah, it did not go anywhere.
It just wasn't the terrifying ghost hovering above us that everybody was shitting their pants about. God the mobile paranoa was big at one point.

Before that it was PopCap induced EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE CASUAL GAMING horror. That was fun. When "casual" was the word ten times as potent as "cuck" or "normie" or "nu-anything". It was the ULTIMATE insult for a time around here. For some reasons, Call of Duty was really associated with the CASUAL meme.
Free2Play still kinda lucks around as a horror, but even that got kinda sorted out.

Shit changes, we are dodging bullets left and right, so many things are getting fixed or turn out to be not nearly as bad as people thought they would be...
Yet we bitch more and more, whine more and more, get more and more angry. It's kinda weird.
>>
>>387528436
He's right you know. You forgot the bad games and just remember the good ones.
>>
>>387528305
I agree. Games were buggy and unfinished as fuck back in the day, we just didn't know any better.
>>
>>387537991
how old were you between 1997-2004?
>>
>>387548210
I was 9-13 back then.
But here is an interesting thing. I did actually miss out on a lot of those games in that era. For some reason, when I was around that age, I discovered Operation Flashpoint and never played almost anything else for maybe two or three years. Then Morrowind came out and I played that exclusively for another three years.

Then I lost two or three years to pure weeboism and did not play anything, just watched anime and read books about Japan or books from Japan, so I lost most of my contact with the industry.

I only started discovering the biggest gems of that eara a bit later, around 17-20. Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Baldurs Gate 1/2, Planescape Torment, Original War, Silent Hill 2, Vietcong, VTM:B, Fallout 1/2, Arcanum etc... all that I mostly played with about four or five years of delay from those days.

The only really golden era games I can think off I played around the release were Half-life, Starcraft, Homeworld, and a bit of U.T.

I'm still catching up, honestly. I only played both Thiefs few years ago. Same goes for the classic adventures: Grim Fandago, Day of The Tentacle... I'm still catching up on some of those.

So I played most of those games when I was 15-19 or so.
>>
>>387537991
2015 was the worst year for game ever
>>
Sturgeon's Revelation coupled with nostalgia makes it easy to think things were better in the past, but the ratio of good to shit games is pretty much the same as it ever was.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.