[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

yoko taro tells us about his favorite PS4 games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: 20170711_131854.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170711_131854.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/11/discover-the-creators-yoko-taros-favorite-ps4-games/

How can he have such good but bizarre taste in games?
>>
>FFXV
>HZD
>LiS
(((good))) taste
>>
File: 1408245153142.png (2MB, 1703x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1408245153142.png
2MB, 1703x1080px
>I was creating a title called NIER Gestalt/Replicant when this title was called Versus XIII but because it was very likely that our games would release around the same time, I was thinking “oh man, Versus is an action RPG right? It would suck if the release dates were close to each other.” NIER ended up releasing without having to worry about Versus XIII but then, when I was creating Drakengard 3 I thought “it would suck if they release close to our release,” and it was the same again when we were creating NieR: Automata this time too

Poor Taro spent the last decade dreading this game.
>>
>Mr. Taro if you could please namedrop exclusive garbage we'll give you a check
>Okay, what garbage?
>HZD
>oh... okay i'll do it
Hahahahahahahahahahaha that Sony money knows no shame.
>>
>>383598701

He was hyping it since last year though. Retweeting everything about it up to the jap release and then making a few tweets about it when he was playing it.
>>
>>383598308
Seen that while adding more free add-ons to my cart.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was a far more engaging game, yet if one of the directors had a feature on PSN, people would start rioting. For how boring Nier: Automata was, this still isn't acceptable.
>>
>>383598308
I mean, how many other games are there even?
>>
File: 1489821076996.png (40KB, 228x316px) Image search: [Google]
1489821076996.png
40KB, 228x316px
>Life is Strange
>>
Bloodborne should be a game he'd eat up and yet hasn't touched it. Every guy there has a bad end too
>>
surprised he doesn't enjoy bloodborne at least
maybe everyone else picked it and he's playing up to his le quirky meme
>>
>>383598308
>FFXV
>HZD
>LIS
>>The last guardian
>resogun
Wow, what a shill list. Well at least I hope he made some cash out of it.
>>
>some legitimately good games on his list like Danganronpa and Gravity Rush
>everybody picks on him for the bad ones

:(
>>
>Resogun

My nigga
>>
W-what??? He's not a Nintendo PC Bro????
>>
>>383598897
he was paid to retweet that trash, or he has shitty tastes.
>>
>>383598701
>>383601353
SEETHING
>>
good taste, as expected
>>
>>383601209
>bad ones
There are none.
>>
>>383601209
I still like the guy, but I will never overlook someone saying dogshit like LiS is good.
>>
>>383598485
Nobody cares about your shitpost
>>
I don't think his taste is that good.
Maybe he just picked more recent games because they were on his mind, but that's a bad list if they are his favorite PS4 games.
>>
>>383601314
he probably likes nintendo movies and PC ports too.

he isn't a drone like 99% of this board.
>>
>>383600953
>He gets asked what his favorite PS4 games are
>/v/ gets mad when they are all PS4 games
>>
File: nnnns.png (9KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
nnnns.png
9KB, 225x224px
NO NO NIER IS SUPPOSED TO BE SWITCH EXCLUSIVE
>>
File: 1497306356073.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1497306356073.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>383600953
Nice try
>>
We need more of these lists. I wonder if miyamoto plays other games outside of nintendo games.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/discover-the-creators/cid=STORE-MSF77008-DISCOVERCREATRLP?emcid=so-ga-108543&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Discover_The_Creators&utm_source=Partner_Social&utm_term=so-ga-108543&utm_content=
>>
>xv
>inb4 xv-kun uses this as a new argument why it's good even though he hated Taro before
>>
>>383602632
Not him, but LiS is absolutely shit. Haven't played the other games on that list.
>>
>>383598308
>Life is Strange
>good taste

Literally one of the worst """"""""games"""""""""""" ever made.
>>
File: 1498360243494.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498360243494.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A
>>
>>383602998
Not him, but LiS is really good. Haven't played the other games on that list.
>>
>>383603385
LiS is shit. Nothing interesting is ever done with the time travel in either the story or in the gameplay and the story is built around Max's and Chloe's relationship despite the fact that the player never gets to see the most important part of the relationship which is what made them care about each other in the first place. A romance story based on two people who have grown apart and have now reunited isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't work when one of the people in the relationship is a total cunt and we never get to see any justification for why, while also not seeing why Max would want to put up with this horrible person.
>>
>>383598701
This. Taro isn't the kind to say "oh btw here are my favorite games". This screams advertising.
>>
>people surprised he listed things like Horizon
It's not like he had a whole hell of a lot to choose from.
>>
>>383601209
Those two games are shit though unless you're a hipster
>>
>Horizon is a bad game.

Can Nintentobbys and PCbros lay off the shitposting and victim complex for a second?
>>
>>383603036
sure bud
>>
>>383604523
Gravity Rush is good, it's not amazing, but it is a nice game with a fairly unique concept. It's not life-changing or anything, but it's fun enough for what it is. Haven't played Danganronpa or GR2 though.
>>
>>383603680

So I see you didn't actually play the game
>>
>>383603385
>>383605407
why are you so mad not everyone cares about your poorly written garbage
>>
>fav ps4 games
>its literally the list that gets spammed here as the ps4 exclusives
>>
>>383598308
Doesn't surprise me he likes shitty games
>>
File: 1482211407252.jpg (9KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
1482211407252.jpg
9KB, 262x192px
>>383605261
I would agree with him, somewhat, definitely one of the worst games I've ever played, excluding games that just don't work.

>>383605407
I did, but I stopped at the fourth episode because I couldn't take it anymore. I also find that a lot of people who like LiS can only offer two defenses of the game and those are"You just didn't play it" and "You don't like it because you're a /pol/tard." But anyway, I went on an autistic rant about LiS the other day so I'm just going to go and copy and paste it in this thread because it'll show that I did play it and it'll show most of my problems with the game.
>>
File: 1471529768025.jpg (71KB, 369x358px) Image search: [Google]
1471529768025.jpg
71KB, 369x358px
>>383605671
Chloe's behavior is selfish and unlikable and while Max may have the basis to let it slide because she's looking at her childhood friend, the player does not, and the result is that you have to tolerate this annoying cunt while she walks all over our doormat of a protagonist and I ended up frustrated with both characters because of this. And before you even think of saying "Well not every character needs to be likable!", Chloe is not likable or engaging. If we had seen the nice girl she used to be for more than a five minute tip through time, maybe we could have gotten attached to her and been able to sympathize with her pain, instead we just get the bitchiness without the justification. If her Dad's death is really going to have such a profound effect on her, then I need to see why, I need to see Chloe and her father together and I need to believe that they're relationship ending would shatter Chloe's life. If I'm going to believe that Max would be willing to put up with all of Chloe's shit, then I need to see why, I need to see two girls with a seemingly unbreakable bond, instead all I see is an unhealthy relationship between one annoying girl and one annoying girl with a bad voice actress. LiS provides none of this, and so the backbone of the story, and the game for that matter, can't hold it all together. (I'll continue this)
>>
>>383605972
This is the first part, my mistake

My biggest problem with the game was the gameplay. I'm not against story-driven games, but I still think they need a reason to be a game. LiS had a good idea with it's time rewind mechanic and I thought it would do something like Radiant Historia but a bit more involved, where you would be hopping between timelines and learning about the town, the characters and the mystery of the dead girl who's name I forget in that way. Instead nothing interesting is done with the time travel for the duration of the game, and it takes a backseat to the relationship with Max and Chloe. This wouldn't be so bad, the relationship between the two could be the central premise and it would work just fine, but it still needs some justification for being a game, and the lack of optional content, choices mattering, good puzzles or anything of the sort make it so it feels like it gains nothing for being a game. It doesn't help that the time travel is wasted in the story too by never even being explained.

The story, and more specifically the relationship between Max and Chloe, is my next big issue. The relationship is actually a pretty good idea, I think that the idea of a romance story between two friends who have not seen each other in years and now are two very different people from when last they met has the potential to be really engaging. Where LiS falls flat in this regard is that the basis of the relationship is entirely based on the character's pasts together.
>>
>>383606048
Third is the world. I know they were going for a Twin Peaks vibe, but they could not have missed the mark harder if they tried. If you're going to go for that kind of atmosphere, the most important things are to have a memorable cast of side characters as well as as a small, comfy town that feels alive. Even Deadly Premonition, and while I love it, it is a mess of a game, managed to get this right. Personally, I don't even remember any side characters from LiS. I vaguely recall a guy with a meme shirt and a pregnant girl, but I couldn't tell you anything about either character beyond that. And as for the town, you can't even explore it. I don't even know what the town is called and I couldn't tell you anything about it beyond it having a college that is more like a highschool for unexplained reasons, it has a junkyard and it has a diner. The town is just not noteworthy in the slightest, and it pales in comparison to the town that inspired it.

Two things I often see complemented by fans of the game are the soundtrack and comfortable atmosphere. The soundtrack was no good in my opinion, it all sounded like generic music that would be heard on an ad for a car or something, but then I really can't speak objectively about music because I know nothing about music, so while I think the music isn't noteworthy, I won't call it bad. The atmosphere might have been good if not for how the waste of a gameplay and awful characters interfered with it. Hard to get invested in the world when you're constantly taking out of it by encountering what an old French man thinks an American university student is like. One other thing about the game that is not widely praise but gets mentioned form time to time are the visuals.
>>
File: 1478481857556.gif (1MB, 342x284px) Image search: [Google]
1478481857556.gif
1MB, 342x284px
>By the way, the release date of this game was only one week apart from NieR: Automata, the game I created. I thought I was going to die.
>Well, I did die.
T-taro?
>>
>>383606395
They tried something that can make games look timeless, but I cannot view LiS as anything other than ugly today and it will remain ugly ten years from now. Probably would have been better to make it look good today even if it woudl be ugly down the line, but I appreciate their effort nonetheless. And seeing as I know nothing about visual design I won't say it's objectively ugly, but I, personally, do think it looks like someone vomited all over the screen.
>>
>>383598308
Are we gonna start seeing appreciation threads for Horizon now?
>>
>>383606395
And in replies to others:
>I think I see where you're getting confused. Have you ever read a visual novel where the 'gameplay' was limited but it had good characters and story, so it's more like an interactive book? (ie the genre name) That's kind of what I consider Life is Strange to be, but more choice-defined. For me the main reason for playing is the characters and story, ie like you said max and chloe's relationship. I guess calling it a 'game' isn't correct wording, but visual novels are also considered 'games'. I'll concede some of the dialog is the worst I've ever heard but even then I think the """""quirky"""" dialog adds character. Also, unless you've only played like the first episode, the time travel is pretty much 90% of the game and is very central to the plot.

The story and characters are awful though see >>383202762 (You) I would love to hear what makes you think they're good, because it is beyond me. Also the time travel is absolutely not a major part of the game, I stopped at episode 4 so I can't speak for the last episode, but up to that point, the only time the time travel was relevant beyond making you use it for some menial task was when you went into another timeline to see cripple Chloe, which turned out to just be completely irrelevant filler in a story that was already going nowhere fast. I haven't played the last episode, but I do know some of what happens in it and I know the time travle is never explained, which the developers admitted was because they intended to explain it but couldn't come up with a good reason so the y just decided not to bother, as if to prove how little though they put into the time travel angle of the game. And on a side note, it's such a waste how the time travel was handled. I do know that the tornado in the end was caused by Max's powers, so what if there was a hidden meter that raised everytime you rewinded time the meter rose and changed the intensity of the tornado in the end?
>>
>>383601756
I do faggot
>>
>>383606786
It would be such a simple way to give the game a good reason to be a game while also giving your choices meaning. Use your powers conservatively and get the best end, use the haphazardly and get the bad one where you have to choose whether or not to sacrifice the town. And why did she even get powers that would bring about a tornado? So she could learn NOT to use them? What purpose does that fulfill? Why Max, of all people? Who orchestrated all this? Why is Max's ultimate lesson that she should have not gone back in time to undo her mistakes, which she rectifies by going back in time to undo her mistake?

>Firts thing is your criticisms of Chloe sound like they would make sense... to someone who's only played the first free episode. There is literally an episode where you go back in time and see Chloe with her dad William still alive and she is 100% less of a bitch. Also I'm not sure who you're saying has a bad voice actress, because excluding a few small slip ups I felt like they were all good except for the fat chick Alyssa. And regarding non-exceptional background characters, I guess you just have a bad memory because I loved every one of them...

>Also I thought that the atmosphere was fine, but I also loved the soundtrack completely.
>>
>>383606895
That segment where you go and see Chloe for five minutes isn't nearly enough. It was less than ten minutes, not nearly enough time to show me why Max is so attached to her that she would forgive her heinous behavior, nevermind the fact that it wasn't even a showcase of Chloe's younger personality, it was more focused on her dad, which is unimportant. Chloe's relationship with her dad is what needed expanding on, and to me it just seemed like a normal father-daughter relationship. I knew a guy whose father killed his mother with a dumbbell, and in spite of that both he and his brother grew to be perfectly normal people, so I have a hard time believing that Chloe and her completely unremarkable relationship with her father ending being such a cataclysmic event for her. People grieve over these things, but LiS just drags it out for drama's sake. For the voice acting, I was referring to Max and her voice actress who is incapable of emoting 10% beyond her neutral tone. Not the most engaging narrator I've ever heard. I don't know what to say to you about the side characters, but they were all so forgettable that I can't even criticize them because I don't know anything about them.
>>
>>383598308
>Resogun

Man, someone oughta recommend him Nex Machina on twitter.
>>
>>383600708
>>383604535
>b-but muh console wars
What the FUCK? What kind of shitposting is this?
>>
>Dangit Ronpaul
>Life is Strange
>Gravity Rush
Aside from maybe GR, I can't imagine these being favorite PS4 games for people.
>>
>>383604523
If by "hipster" you mean niche interest, that could literally apply to any one of Taro's games.

Gravity Rush isn't amazing by any means but it's mechanics are a cool novelty and it's fun. It's immediately obvious that Danganronpa isn't for everyone but it's easy to understand why Taro likes it (a game with a weird premise and atmosphere that also tries to tell a semi-serious story without taking itself too seriously).
>>
>>383604523
Dangan Ronpa is not hipster, it's really popular. It is bad though, how the fuck does the PC release have the gall to keep in the "sorry we didn't have time to give original content to island mode" and get away with it? Also fuck UDG
>>
>>383604523
>Big name AAA games are shit
>small time indie games are shit

ok /v/
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.