[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Europa Universalis IV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 21

File: eu4.png (217KB, 256x354px) Image search: [Google]
eu4.png
217KB, 256x354px
Strategy games by Paradox Interactive have really crappy reviews for their notoriously disrespectful DLC policy. Europa Universalis IV for example costs around 40$, but if you want the complete game, you'll have to spend 270$.
This obviously leads to very bad reviews. But my question is: is the game actually good? It looks nice and I'd like to get into it. I know from reviews that Crusader Kings II got some game mechanics changed which more or less forced you to buy DLCs. Haven't found reviews on EUIV that say this, is the base game playable and enjoyable without DLCs?
>>
I haven't played it since launch because I hate some of the mechanics (ruler mana) but from what I've heard, some of the DLCs are effectively mandatory. Say, apparently provinces can no longer be developed without the DLC that reintroduces the mechanic (I believe that was called Common Sense).

However, as with other Paradox games, you can and should pirate the DLCs.
>>
I'd say some of the DLC's are hard to live without. You could, but it just wouldn't be a fun experience. Good news is you can pirate everything.
>>
Is the only way to know which DLC is mandatory and which one isn't by playing the game and finding out?
>>
>>383465272
Game good
DLC policys bad
Tough you do need some DLCs to have a definitive experience
>>
>>383465409
You could never develop provinces before common sense, so it's not a case that you could no longer do something.
>>
singleplayer is awful and easy to exploit but multiplayer is thrilling
>>
>>383465272
The bad reviews aren't due to the DLCs, they are due to Paradox raising their prices right before Steam sales. Good thing is, they made their DLCs very easy to pirate.
>>
>>383465272
>is the base game playable and enjoyable without DLCs?
Funny enough a lot of the DLC added straight up terrible stuff like corruption and made the game worse. The base game was more fun to me than the game is now.
>>
File: JustSheevIt.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
JustSheevIt.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>>383465272
Have put ~3000 hours into this. Start by pirating it and the dlc. watch some lets plays to get a handle on some of the more opaque mechanics. Then, if you get into it, buy it and start into multiplayer. Buy the dlcs on sale only.
>>
>>383465272
>Parajews incomplete games are shit
>6 billion DLC's
>Most of the community pirates it anyway
Old news
>>
>>383465272
> I know from reviews that Crusader Kings II got some game mechanics changed which more or less forced you to buy DLCs.
False. Its just some autists being assblasted for a reason that doesn't really affect gameplay and that reason is also outdated by a at least a year.

>Haven't found reviews on EUIV that say this, is the base game playable and enjoyable without DLCs?
Of course it is. It is how I would recommend you to start out anyways.

1.Get base game
2.play it, get to know the game
3.Once you are bored of the base game, get a DLC which you seem to like
4.play until you get bored
5.get a new DLC which seems cool
6.goto instruction 4

This way, the game will stay fresh for 500 hours at least
>>
How I would recommend you start.

1.Go on torrent website of choice
2. Download base game with every single DLC included.
3. Fuck Paradox
>>
Their games are absolutely barebones and filled with exploits and bugs on release, then to fill it with content you have to buy the DLC and wait for the players to QA test their game

HOI4 released and it was filled with placeholder names like infantry weapons I, artillery I, prewar tank, ect. for allmost all nations, shit you just can google and type into the game, besides the major nations all have the same decisions tree that is just allign with axis or allies or commies
besides production, recources and trade are so retarded in that game that for sure there will be a DLC that will rewamp it
resources work like they do in civilization, you don't stockpile them and if they're not used then they just go to waste, you trade resources for civilian factories(?), vehicles and planes need oil just to be produced and even then you can build them without it
>>
>>383467396
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCE6GHAI9I
>>
>>383467270
It must be said I don't REALLY know what the DLC does and I'm going by hearsay, but from what I heard, you can no longer construct buildings (which used to be the primary means to develop provinces prior to the DLC) on undeveloped provinces and colonies are now worthless because they no longer have increased base tax and they cannot be developed without the DLC
>>
>>383465272
Yes, the games are great and genre defining.
t. played since EU2
>>
>>383465272
It's an overcomplicated Civ with shitty music, autists love it though
>>
>>383468860
I'm not sure why you're linking that video or what you're trying to prove.
That DLC policy has been around for a decade. If you check the reviews, all their games has good ratings only until 2 months ago. How hard is it to draw conclusion from that? Do you just parrot every e-celeb's opinion and use that as an argument?
>>
>>383469941
constructing buildings is not the same as development

developing involves spending admin, dip or mil to boost a province's base tax, production or manpower respectively

that said it's still pretty mandatory because it's the only reliable way to get institutions to the rest of the world so if you're playing outside of europe without it you're gonna have absurdly expensive tech costs
>>
File: LPFTQjp.png (116KB, 638x552px) Image search: [Google]
LPFTQjp.png
116KB, 638x552px
>>383465272
>But my question is: is the game actually good?
No

I'm playing Paradox games ever since EU2 came out. Went through all their main series and all the side-game. Ever since they've shifted focus with CK2 on DLCs, their games suffer shitty gameplay and here is why:
Since mechanics are only unlocked by DLCs and often are exclusive element of said DLC, you can't put any depth in them, since they are not "main game". For example, one of the DLCs adds estates to EU4 - a province with strong control by one of the powerful groups in your country (nobility, clergy, and so on). But because it's DLC, estates are nothing more than bunch of pointers and handful of events that govern nothing more than their loyalty, which adds minor bonuses or penalties depending if they are loyal or not. So instead of interesting, in-depth mechanics you have shit, entry-tier shell of gameplay in that place. And the game won't expand on that, because it's DLC element.

That's without ignoring the fact it's a mana game, but since you are new to Paradox games, you might not even notice that, since you have zero comparison
>It's 3 years and that review is even more accurate than back in 2014
>>
>>383470348
The video explains the increase of prizes in russia ect
>>
>>383470072
You're supposed to play strategy games with your own music
>>
File: t0oiyEi.jpg (435KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
t0oiyEi.jpg
435KB, 1920x1080px
>>383469941
this is exaggerated as hell, mate

>you can no longer construct buildings (which used to be the primary means to develop provinces prior to the DLC) on undeveloped provinces

untrue. You CAN build AT LEAST one(1) building on any province. However, for each 10 development points the province gets an additional building slot.

even with the new system, you HAVE TO sink thousands of monarch points into low develoment provinces to unlock more building slots. This means that you will only be developing like ten(10) provinces from low development to high development since it takes fuckload of monarch points. Your average nation has 300 provinces, which means that 290 provinces still remain undeveloped.

This means that this DLC only adds the means to play tall. With and without DLC, the default expected strategy is wide. Even with the DLC, if you play wide and conquer shit 24/7, then you simply won't have the monarch points to develop provinces - you will be suppressing revolts and coring provinces and shit.
>>
File: 1339276530673.png (260KB, 499x449px) Image search: [Google]
1339276530673.png
260KB, 499x449px
>>383470912
Heh, I haven't seen that one before.
>>
>>383470917
Right, so you just proved my point.
>>
>>383471124
the minimum is 2 building slots, three if it's farmland or grassland
>>
File: 1499037991803.webm (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1499037991803.webm
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>383470072
>shitty music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vAN4B3j2ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmS3XhnvwDw

i'd say its pretty good
>>
>>383465272
EU IV is worse than CK 2 without DLCs. It locks you out from development which makes playing the game far too hard.

It is possible and advisable to buy the base game and pirate the DLCs.
>>
>>383471124
>Missing the point this hard
>Defending shitty game mechanics that you get if not using DLC
Different anon, but here is the deal:
With Common Sense, they've changed entire structure of how buildings work. Not only buildings are now mostly useless, they also need slots. And to have a half-decent income from a colony, you need to AT LEAST build a workshop there and manufacture, so that means you must develop almost all provinces, as there is only a handful of those with 2 slots open from the get-go. And you of course need to build a fort once in a while, plus most definitely market line of buildings in any province with modifier to trade.
And then of course comes the way how income from colonies is managed. You in the same time want them to have strong production (which means more good -> better trade income -> more money) AND good tax base, since that's how colony can generate a cash to you early on, before you build at least the factory and get some half-decent production tech to generate more goods. And the more you develop provinces and the colony as a whole, the more they want to break away, regardless of anything else.

Also, let's not forget about the concept of colonial nations, which you have absolutely ZERO control about, since you can't shape their borders or create historical colonies, but instead get uniform blobs spanning over half of the continent, which means developing them is pain in the ass (more counties -> more separate mana pools -> fast and "cheap" development vs one country -> one mana pool -> shitlong development, and also unprofitable)
>>
>>383471495
>Posts precisely the shittiest music from it
Yes, it fits soooo much to have metal in those games... Fortunately, that's also a DLC, so you aren't forced to having this shit.
>>
>>383471124
trouble is the base game was patched to use the new development system, meaning you're locked in with 2 or 3 slots to build in per territory and you have no way to improve it. It also makes embracing institutions almost impossible
>>
>>383471732
>>383471124
wait I misread your post, never mind
the institution problem is still there though
>>
>>383471495

what's the point of this webm?
>>
>>383471612
>no income
>builds 100/200 buildings in every province owned
shit doesn't add up, m8

once I have the means to fill every province with buildings, I have pretty much won the game already.

or are you one of these fags who considers 10g/month income unworkable?
>>
All you need to know about this game, OP, is the fact you just wait between wars to generate sufficient amount of abstract points generated to you from randomly created monarch. You have absolutely zero control about 3/4 of game elements and throw said points on remaining 1/4 to get desirable outcome. Colonization is a joke, border expansion is an even bigger joke (you can fully subjugate new lands before the truce is over, creating an infinite loop of taking back and forth your own cores should you lose your newly gained province) and of course there is the trade system, which is so unfunny and broken, yet is a core element of the game it alone is going to throw you away.
If you want to enjoy EU series, go play either EU3 with at least HTTT expansion (because once upon a time Paradox was making game expansions, changing gameplay, rather than selling DLCs to add few buttons) or For the Glory, which is final version of EU2. Both of them are entire leagues above EU4, no matter if you get the DLCs for it from shop or pirate them.

The game is just a waiting competition between wars. By 1600s there is usually NOTHING to do, unless you want to paint entire map your color.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>383471687
>Yes, it fits soooo much to have metal in those games...
IMO, metal fits pretty well with history
source: any folk metal band ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--i3pwGGabE
>>
>>383471881
No income from colonies. I never said you don't get income.

Thing is, you can earn shit-tonne of money by NOT making colonies and instead let AI waste time on that, while you conquer all provinces in the "end nodes". Hell, even without doing that, there are regions where you don't need to colonise and still get profit from others wasting time and resources. Hudson Bay is probably the best example of it. Since it has one-way outlet and ist a starting node, you can just leave it to whoever wants that frozen rock. They are going to colonise, develop it and expand infrastructure, throiwing thousands of coins and mana on it...
... while the entire profit will go to next node, from where it will go directly to your home node, earning you shitload of cash.

For every 1.2k spend on that region, the owner of said province gets 1 ducat of profit. You, not colonising it, are making AT LEAST half of the profit generated from those provinces, which will be about 5-6 ducats per province.
While someone else wastes money on them

So it perfectly adds up, you stupid cunt.
>>
File: 1485924904770.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485924904770.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
>>383472179
> IMO, metal fits pretty well with history
source
>>
>>383472179
That just means you have shit taste. And explain to us all how having songs with lyrics in strategy game helps. Or a really fast paced "power" metal in a game about waiting.
>>
>>383471827
no point, just added a little reward for reading my post

one creep was posting those in some threads a few days ago in /his/
>>
>>383472287
he's just a 13 year old who hasn't grown out of their metal phase
>>
File: 1492232046624.jpg (67KB, 680x473px) Image search: [Google]
1492232046624.jpg
67KB, 680x473px
>>383472287
>>
>>383465272
>poorfags bitching about DLC
God forbid we get actual fucking expansion packs in this day and age.
>>
>>383472393
You do realise exactly same logic applies to your "metal is great in Paradox games"... right?
>>
>>383472456
t. uses his moms credit card and has no bills to pay
>>
>>383472504
i'm not the guy but
>i'd say
>imo

Learn to read retard
>>
>>383472508
It's the reverse sadly. She needs to get a fucking job.
>>
>>383472456
>Expansion
>3-6 major overhauls of the game
>Each costing 20-30 bucks
>Final pack costs around 100 bucks
>Gets bundled eventually and sold for 60
>DLCs
>Constant stream of gutted content that often should be there from the start, country packs and literal buttons sold for 20 bucks each
>There is no final pack, since they are going to shit new DLCs constantly to keep the game afloat as a product and not making new one, but so far it's 320 bucks already
>Never gets bundled, always at full price

Explain me how "poorfag" is an argument in a situation when company is just selling small pieces of shitty game? I don't give a fuck if Ruskies got BTFO on rubel being shit currency, but I do give a fuck about overpriced bullshit that is a far cry of expansions. Which you apparently don't even remember yourself, judging by your nigger-tier bait.
>>
File: 1499602070455.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1499602070455.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>want to support development of good games
>lol fork over 254,27€
>>
>>383472736
That shit is on sale every quarter during the Steam sales.
>>
>>383472753
So you want to support someone else than Paradox?
Because that company stopped being good somewhere between Sengoku and Vicky 2 expansions. At this point they went full jew and the only thing stopping them from being called worse than EA is the fact in the end they are still small-ass game developer and publisher. But their market practice is on par with the big guys.
>>
Is Monks and Mystics worth?
>>
>>383472858
... at full price.
Nice "sale". And nice to know you can buy a game published 3 years ago for 50. That makes so much sense.

I always wonder - why the fuck people seriously and honestly defend Paradox pricing patterns and sales department. It's like some sort of mental dependency, when they've played their games for so long, they no longer give a fuck about their subpar quality, but are hooked on the dev instead.
>>
>>383472904
Oh please, the only reason most other studios don't do this is that they wouldn't get away with it.

Welcome to capitalism
>>
>>383472996
personally I hate it
>>
>>383472996
Most definitely no. The last really important DLC was either Rajas of India or the one focusing on nomads, depending on your preferences.
Anything after that is a fucking joke and begging for money while giving handouts.
>>
File: 1367003995422.jpg (188KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1367003995422.jpg
188KB, 1280x960px
>>383473053
>>
>>383472858
75% off on a 255€ game is still 63.75€
>>
>>383473037
Welcome to shitty market practices

Here, ftfy. There are other options in capitalism than being cut-throat cunt selling crack to people, because it's fastest way of making money.
>>
>>383473094

They only do 50% now, so it's €120-130
>>
File: dex_build.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
dex_build.webm
1MB, 720x404px
>>383472267
>>383472287
>>383472319
so you would instead fancy

a viking rap?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU5T_dL3gLQ

or a metal gregorian chant?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkVHOoCUmu0

or perhaps a nomadic throat singingin techno?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAwN_4F5L4

or if singing is in the way, perhaps you would appreciate some stone age trance tunes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2oCLSjpXg
>>
>>383465272
Oh shit a Europa thread.
Just got this game and it's pretty fucking fun.

>>383465409
>>383466790
>>383467396
>>383467637
Can you play multiplayer with pirated dlc?
>>
>>383473254
Yes
>>
>>383473239
how about none of it
>>
>>383473239
No, I don't want to have shitty, distracting music that doesn't fit the game (both theme and pace) in the slightest.
Be summerfag in some other thread
>>
>>383473210
>Game released in 2013
>Costs over 100€
>And only if its on sale
What the fuck?!
>>
*hugs you*
https://mega.nz/#!IfQGnQTA!OuxaZaK1cou1p_Ip5pVbjILkn__U_lQJozXi2gyPd8o
https://mega.nz/#!oCgAHZ4L!IOyf0vf0P4iSxsLhB3evVwmn4Oxm7Sd4kQkrziKLGpU
https://mega.nz/#!ZOx1lQ4b!UP2r9jYIjzRFcNjBJio_slxxsjzTzCFdtp_jBZqld3A
https://mega.nz/#!9qAQwbTC!-f8D3sx-WHrE9zsz6nDTgeWrcmPGUAkwZFz-mEBhiJQ
>>
>>383467609
>>383467302
>>383473254
>Multiplayer
>Paradox game
Literally pick one. It would not only require to be a neet, but also having at least two other neet friends.
>>
>>383473518
>weebshit

yep thats a virus
>>
if your not already playing it it's probably not worth.
but there's nothing stopping you from just pirating everything and experiencing the game with either Vanilla or with certain DLC's turned on or off.

being able to develop is a good monarch power sink and the best way to keep ontop of tech institutions but at the same time you turn this DLC off if your going for a world conquest because you dont want the AI developing provinces increasing core costs.
>>
File: Sarapuu-Kalevipeg_Sarvik-1.jpg (40KB, 480x327px) Image search: [Google]
Sarapuu-Kalevipeg_Sarvik-1.jpg
40KB, 480x327px
>>383473429
>viking rap for conquering philipinos as norse
>gregorian chant for the Catholic business
>throat singing for playing as nomads

>d-doesn't fit the game
>b-be s-summerfag in some other thread

nice arguments there, my adult friend
>>
>>383473210
I don't think the total price is even the main issue. It's common for enthusiast games to go above AAA retail prices and in my mind that is an acceptable price to pay for my favored niches being catered to (although that isn't the case with neo-Paradox games, to an extent precisely because of the design their DLC policy forces upon them).

No, Paradox DLCs are shit for a number of other reasons:
1. Given that the base game is released broken at the expectation of the game being patched later, and that updates released with DLC often break the game further for non-DLC users, the barrier of entry is enormous. Not a problem for me, but it's a huge problem for the game as a whole. No one wants to buy the DLCs too to give the game an honest chance.
2. Because DLCs must work independently of each other, the features must exist in a vacuum rather than being interconnected. With only minor exaggeration, this dooms mechanics to be shitty by default. And given that the games have been released in a half-baked state (Stellaris for example needs major revamps to pretty much all of its game systems), this makes them essentially unfixable. Conversely, an expansion fully replacing the base game (or previous expansion) could actually rework the systems from ground up, and properly tying these changes to all other game systems present.
>>
>>383473674
It stops increasing at 30 development. In fact, the very reason why it's fun doing conquest in Germany is fuckload of OPMs there, who spend their points on development like crazy (because there is nothing else to do for them anyway), but because they are OPMs, you can easily conquer them and for paying little extra (you can instead take over 2 cheap, underdeveloped provinces, so no big deal, really) get a truly marvelous province out of it.
>>
>>383470912
>>383473851
/thread
>>
>>383473851
This is why HoI4 will be never fixed. They are going to just shit up more country packs now and then call it a day.
>Next DLC: Liberia - Land Of Opportunity!
>>
How do I git gud at this game? I think I'm doing good one second, then get absolutely ass-ravaged by my neighbors the next. There are so many systems that need managing, and it can be pretty overwhelming for a newbie, desu
>>
File: 1481387165014.png (426KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1481387165014.png
426KB, 620x670px
>actually paying for paradox DLC
>he doesn't know about creamAPI
>>
>>383474925

just keep practicing. it can take over 100 hours of play before you even have an idea of what you're doing.
>>
>>383475525

That... doesn't sound fun
>>
>>383470072
>eu4
>overcomplicated

T. Civ retard.
>>
>>383465272
It's fun, but you need at least Art of War and Common sense to actually balance the game because Johan fucking broke the base game with all the dlcs.
>>
>>383476193

it is very fun and rewarding once you figure out the game. you will be very proud of your first major conquests and successes.
>>
File: eu4_43.jpg (815KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
eu4_43.jpg
815KB, 1680x1050px
>not pirating everything
>not playing with MEOW in Texas
>>
>>383476193
Because it's not right.
Basically you just need to play one crash course run through the game to pick up the pace of things on the fly. If you're getting stomped by your neighbors, it's usually the result of two things: Not making the right alliances, and not conducting warfare correctly [such as burning through your manpower by being overaggressive and fighting battles at a disadvantage in bad terrain].

There are a lot of systems, but quite a few of them aren't as intimadating as they look. Trade in particular, for example, more or less runs itself in 8 out of 10 cases. Basically you'll be a lot safer as soon as you acquire a sense for what countries are direct threats to you at any given situation, and what alliances are worth pursuing to counter said threats.
>>
>>383476645
M&T is just bloated shit that adds shit mechanics for the sqake of it.
>>
>>383476807
t.i have a shit PC
>>
File: eu4.png (67KB, 316x139px) Image search: [Google]
eu4.png
67KB, 316x139px
>>383465272
>$270 meme
>includes totally optional music, portraits and model packs

The entry level is $165 for all functional DLC + Base game, and it's only when buying full price. You can still argue that's a lot, but those DLCs were released over 4 years, it's not like they did it with one go. You got console games for 10h costing this much, and people are not outraged like here.
I almost always buy them as they are released, because that's basically the only game I play right now, but there is almost no quarter in a year, where there isn't any sort of sale anywhere, you get Humble Bundle, Steam, local stores. I don't buy games on G2A, but I bet there are cheap codes there as well.

>>383467184
Art of War, Common Sense are the only globally important. The rest is heavily regionalized. You won't know you are missing something, unless you watch streamers or YouTube.
>>
>>383474925
How to learn any Paradox game:
1) Cheat
2) Read official wikia
3) Cheat some more with cheat engine
No, seriously. The best way of learning ropes in Paradox games is cheating your starting position, so you can't be toppled and then just trying to do things, while reading wikia and player-made tutorials.

And if you want to learn it otherwise, then you are right - the games are unfun and boring.
Just like they get when you learn how to play them.

>>383476392
Try C2C. Then tell me anything about Civ games.
>>
File: 1497245180730.gif (170KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497245180730.gif
170KB, 600x800px
>>383476645
>laptop not good enough to run M&T
>Proceed to call it shite on /gsg/
>>
>>383476961
>The best way of learning ropes in Paradox games is cheating your starting position
You're a fucking retard, Paradox games already have asymmetrical starts so you can learn the game
Just start as a HRE minor to learn how to deal with similar-sized enemies and then blob until you become big enough to have giant wars involving most of Europe
>>
>>383476867
>implying having a top tier PC would change anything with an engine that only supports hyperthreading and multicore on paper
>>
>>383476867
>The only reason people can consider a mod to be utter piece of shit is having insufficient PC to run it.
Different anon, but have you tried not being retarded for five seconds?

>>383476894
>2013 game
>$165
>THIS IS TOTALLY OK!
And like those anons >>383470912 >>383473851 pointed out, it's not the price that kills the game
>>
>>383474415

I unironically played Liberia in HOI3. It's boring and shit
>>
>>383477087
Meiou and Taxes makes EU4 actually playable,i'm sorry that your PC has a shit CPU.
>>
>>383476961

why would you need to cheat? if you want to be unbeatable then play as ottomans on very easy. england is also tutorial island. if you actually get beaten as england on very easy you're beyond help
>>
>>383474925
just play to the best of your ability and read up on the wiki when you dont understand something.

also to avoid getting declared war on find at least one strong country you wont want to conquer for a long time and ally them. pick weak neighbors as rivals and if theyre still too strong for you to take on alone ally their enemies
>>
>>383477074
Son, tell me something. What's going to let you learn battle mechanics easier:
Having an army that is slightly bigger than enemy
OR
Having an army that unlocked important, game-changing tech, years before that will be possibl, to see the change

Also, there is the utterly obtuse money-making system in pretty much ALL Paradox games, so average newfag is going to be always in the red.

t. a guy playing Paradox games since 2002
>>
>>383477125
When I was learning the game (trying to see how it's different from DH and HoI2) I played Brazil for a bit
>align with Germany
>get accepted into Axis
>attack some random neighbor
>Germany automatically gets called in because that's how factions work
>America joins on the enemy side because muh Monroe doctrine
>Germany and America now at war in 1937
That was fun
>>
>>383477175
My PC runs it smoothly, just like fuckload of other, BETTER games. This mod is simply shit.
And any mod that doesn't change the trade system is going to be and stay shit.
>>
File: 1496355375442.jpg (18KB, 464x266px) Image search: [Google]
1496355375442.jpg
18KB, 464x266px
>>383476961
>Try C2C. Then tell me anything about Civ games.

>Thinks EU4 is complicated.
>>
>>383477227
>unlocked important, game-changing tech, years before that will be possibl
>needing cheats to do that
wat
Anyway, the main focus of "learning the game" at this point is just finding out what all the fucking feature bloat mechanics do, and learning the basics is incredibly easy. Neither of those need cheats
>>
>>383477291
But it changed the trade system
>>
>>383477254

Wait, that's actually possible? I thought that the US was locked out of war until '41.

I know what I'll be doing tonight.
>>
>>383476867
My PC runs it fine, it's just full of shit tedious mechanics that slows the game down too much.
>>
>>383477216
>Making money
>Waging wars
>Getting manpower to finish wars
>Getting mana to strike peace deal
Just a couple of things that a newfag might have problems with without cheating, but here is a deal:
Not everyone is playing Paradox for 15+ years. There are people who find EU2 too complex and I fully understand that. So when you are saying "EU4 is accessable" - yeah, for a long-timer, sure. In fact, Ottomans are faaaaar away from easy mode in EU4 for newfags, since they are going to end with a bunch of coalitions against them in no time, trying to figure out what the fuck.
>>
>>383477358
It's been quite a while, I'd assume the US simply cannot join WW2, but they can't do anything about those automatic call to arms
>>
>HOI4 is only fun with Kaiserreich
>EU4 is only fun with M&T
>Vic2 is only fun with HPM
>CK2 is only fun with HiP

Is this about right?
>>
>>383477304
I really wonder from where did you take that idea, but sure, let's jump to utterly retarded conclusions pulled from the ass!

>>383477338
Jesus fucking Christ, which part of "the game has a high entry point for new players" you don't understand?
I've spent two weeks trying to teach bunch of guys Vicky 2 to have people for multiplayer. We sit, we read, we talked, tried different tactics and they were still in read.
Five hours of explainations with cheats and they've learned everything about the game, play it ever since.

Same shit applies to Every. Single. Paradox. Game.
But to realise, you need to meet someone who never played them before.

>>383477356
Still tubes.
>>
>>383477087
>>383477087
It's $39 for a 2013 game. So far people mostly complain is the price, there are very few people that criticize them about anything else.

So they complain about DLC's content, so now we have:
>muh DLC I need to buy costs me arm and leg
>I don't want the content DLC provides
Wow, it's like it is optional DLC you can choose not to buy?

And I wonder what those guys you quoted want? That instead of 3-4 DLC, you get a new Europa Universalis, what would we have right now? Coming close to Europa Universalis 7? Do you think that would solve everything? Because that how EU 1, 2 and 3 were done. Some graphical, interface changes, some events, bam, new EU.
>>
>>383477587
Mostly. Only the last one is wrong.
CK2 is not fun, regardless of what you do. Unless you like to play imaginary role-playing in your head, but at this point, you should just visit >>>/tg/ instead and change your hobby.
>>
>>383477427

I started with EU3 and you don't need cheats to learn the fucking game.

You need a couple runs to figure out
>inflation
>army attrition and optimal army sizes
>how the taxation system works (yes you need a wiki for this because it's retarded)
>cores, because no other game does this
>manpower if you're an idiot

That's about it.
>>
>>383477602
>I really wonder from where did you take that idea, but sure, let's jump to utterly retarded conclusions pulled from the ass!

You literally said this

>It's an overcomplicated Civ with shitty music, autists love it though
>>
>>383477661
>I'm too young to rembember expansions to old Paradox games
Thanks for confirming
>>
>>383477706
>You need a couple runs to figure out
... which leads to what the original anon pointed out >>383476193
Unfun gameplay to see how you fail with no idea what the fuck is going on. I totally see all people being hyped for that. Probably explains why so many newfags in Paradox games are also into Dark Souls.
>>
File: ... you know what, fuck this.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
... you know what, fuck this.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>383477709
>There is only one person on 4chan
I'm not that guy, you fucking summerfag. Jesus Christ, way to fucking go...
>>
>>383476645
So how is the latest release? Is it already fixed and workable? Wasn't playing MEOW for quite some time. In fact, I wasn't playing EU4 since the Prussian DLC came out.
>>
>>383477926
>replies directly to my post
>nobody else does
>YOU SHOULD KNOW WHO IT IS

t. retard
>>
File: 1435603669309.jpg (54KB, 500x510px) Image search: [Google]
1435603669309.jpg
54KB, 500x510px
>>383471495
Of all the music you posted the shitty metal ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grhB7KgUvzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdcwGA6quA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZO3QOlx-Gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLxWvzEIKtA
>>
If you're new, play as the Ottomans. It's hard to go wrong.
>>
>is the base game enjoyable?
No.
>>
>>383478462
It's not me who thinks the entire world circles around him and there is only one possible poster out there.

You don't even know how to use the t. meme, so go figure.
>>
>>383478710
You've spelled "France" wrong. As Ottomans you might end up with bigger cake than you can bite. As France you are going to spend first 50-100 years just to get all French provinces together as a new player, and then the ball will be rolling.
>>
>>383465272
Get both the base game and the xpacs (don't get the shitty cosmetic/music dlcs you dumdum) only if they're on sale.

Download good mods (M&T 2.0) rather than buy more xpacs, they add more content.

And yes, the game is worth it if you like the genre (but in the end it's always a matter of taste, there are HoI/CK/Vic players who hate EU4, and the opposite)
>>
I love EU4 and spend thousands of hours in it but I could never justify buying their game on release, its just too fucking jewy the way they price their dlcs.

always buy their games + dlcs on sale. pirate it first and if you think they deserve your money and want more eu4, buy it then
>>
I feel bad for all the poor faggots that have to pay 20 bucks for an extra button to click. Thank god for CreamAPI.
>>
>>383478106
Go on Paradox's reddit, there is currently a thread about it going after latest fixes
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.