[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Happened to Halo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 536
Thread images: 45

File: rip?.png (772KB, 1350x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rip?.png
772KB, 1350x1080px
The Halo General in /vg/ died today. It's been on life support for the last few weeks and has already died before this in the last 10 days.
Whether it stays dead or if someone makes yet another one, I don't know, but this was the only Xbox-brand oriented general on that board and now it's gone.

I think it's fair to say Halo's popularity is a shell of its former self, but why? Surely the answer is more complicated and systematic than just "343 industries" or sonething like that.
>>
It's a mix of multiple things all happening in succession. Think of it as a perfect order of disaster events aligning just right.
To generalize though, the two biggest contributing factors were the rise of call of duty and the Halo series' response to it.
>>
Halo is not a popular series anymore. It hasn't been for some time. It's supported on namw recognition alone. A VERY small portion of the original fans still play the new games, and they're only getting older.
Meanwhile, virtually none of the newer generation is taking up the series. This is something you absolutely need to maintain a healthy playerbase on consoles. Kids today don't even know what Halo is. All they know is they're not interested in it.
>>
>#3327
Get at me.
>>
>>382118015
Halo has been dead since post-Reach as both a viable brand and a fun series of games. The only things to come out of the franchise since Reach came out are the Forerunner books, and a couple of Halo Custom Edition mods and maps.
>>
Halo 4 was the biggest factor but other things like MW2 redefining shooters to this day played a role.
>>
>>382118015
343i killed Halo.

Halo 4 was shit.
>>
>>382119796
MW2 redefining shooters
How?
>>
File: halo-master-chief-coffee-kaffee.jpg (132KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
halo-master-chief-coffee-kaffee.jpg
132KB, 1280x800px
Microsoft was fucking stupid for not letting Bungie make Destiny, which would have been a much better game and a huge hit for the Xbox had Microsoft published it.

As far Halo goes, there's no hope that Halo 6 will be the series' redemption. There have been too many awful decisions and mistakes by 343 - Halo 4, Halo MCC (which should have been the easiest 10/10 game ever. They had one fucking job) and Halo 5's failure.

Halo 4 only sold as well as it did because the brand was still relevant and it was the first main series entry in 5 years. In a couple of weeks, its multiplayer base had less people playing it than Halo 3. I'm guessing that's why 343 did the whole "free updates" in H5 and was so negligent in fixing MCC, because it meant the player base would keep coming back and they wouldn't have the PR disaster of more people playing the older games than H5.

Apparently, 343 is "listening" to the fans for H6, but you would have to be a fool not to be skeptical. They have never delivered a fantastic or even great Halo experience and they fucked up the story so badly that it's better for them to drop their own saga and start over again.

Microsoft's greed and 343's incompetence has killed this franchise and it will never go back to having that amazing momentum that they once had.
>>
You will never see people get this excited for a Halo game ever again.

https://youtu.be/ax1nvd8DF1Q
>>
>>382120151
Cod 4 and MW2 are the earliest models of the kind of game that is attempted tp be replicated to this day on the console market. It's been said that COD "cracked the casual" code and I think that's accurate. Win or lose, every normie gets a rush from taking down someone else in COD and you are always rewarded. It's thats constant stream of unlocks and progression that makes post COD 3 Call pf Duty so addicting for so many people.
Compared to Halo, which is largely win-loss oriented, that's not engrossing or addicting enough for players now. There is not that constant fix of unlocks, which is why in Halo now, if one team gets out to an early lead, players on the losing team will oftwn quit.
Halo 3 still held it's own against COD 4, but barely. Then MW2 released and Halo had no real answer, just a standalone expansion for 3 priced at a full $60 retail. Seriously, ODST doesn't get enough blame for what went wrong. By the time Reach came out, it was too late, Cod was the new king and Halo was largely deprived of new and incoming ypungsters and older players... well, got too old. Most original fans were into their mid or late 20s by then which meant the Halo 3 boom players had to sustain the population and Cod was sucking them up by the thousands.
You NEED a consistant attach rate from younger players to sustain a franchise because okder players eventually just stop playing video games. If I could say one good thing about Halo 5, it's that it peobably has the oldest average age of any halo multiplayer, but that's only because the onky people playing it are old timers that can't let go.
>>
>>382118015
last canon game was odst. everything after that was just "we want the cod multiplayer audience" cashgrab trash with fanfiction campaign slapped on.
>>
Prometheans, Bonnie Ross and the fruitless endeavor of shying away from MC.
>>
>>382121221
People like Frank O'Connor, Josh Holmes and Kiki Wolfkill are also to blame.
>>
You're asking two different questions that are only indirectly related.

>Why did Halo fall from grace
There is no one answer to this. There were SEVERAL things that occured, both within the franchise and outside of it, all happening in succession that contributed to the fall. Think of it like the Titanic. They said they had 5 or 6 emergency failsafes that could go before the ship sank. Think of Halo 4 as the final failsafe that went. We know this because despite everything that had gone wrong between 2007 and 2012, as of the release of Halo 4 there was still a high demand for the Halo brand. You can see by the good sales of Halo 4 at launch and the catestrophic drop off in population that fell off a cliff that the bullet that finally brought Halp down happened there. Halo 5 having a low population is just a formality. Nothing was going to return the series to grace after that. In case you're wondering on what somw of the earluer factors were before 4 happened, they were to name a few: the rise of Cod as a titan of console multiplayer, a shift within the halo custom game community from social varients of the competitive mp to all out mini games,

As far as /hg/ goes however, the general in question is a good example of how the fanbase reacted to the changes: they left. Seriously, the only people left in /hg/ are people that are overly contrarian about the state pf the series compared to what the vast majority feel. If you've bewn in an /hg/ xbox live party, the hivemind mentality is that bungie is the real villain and that Halo 4 and 5 are fine games. 5 especially, which the consensus /hg/ opinion is that it has the best multiplayer in the series and any attempt to argue against that will get you labled anything from "bungiedrone", "destinyshill", or "halo 3 babby". These are the only people still playing the new Halo games. There might be the occasional exception, but the reason the pop is so low is because the only people playing are the ones that like it.
>>
File: 1472159064015.png (93KB, 296x323px) Image search: [Google]
1472159064015.png
93KB, 296x323px
>>382121631
nice phonepost, buddy.
>>
I just haven't been able to get into the newer ones like I did halo 2 and 3, even though I think halo 5's gameplay is pretty fucking good. I always enjoyed the campaigns personally and once 343 started incorporating the books and other halo media into the story more and more I found myself unable to really enjoy it because I had to go on Google and read up on all these characters I had never seen before since they were only in the books or comics. I can also see why people would get pissed about other shit too like sprinting and classes a la cod but that shit doesn't really bother me as much.
Also as much of a step forward that halo 5 was from 4, halo 4 pretty much killed any hype and love I had for the series moving forward. That game was so fucking shit
>>
>>382121631
This. /hg/ actually has a discord, and it's very active, with anywhere from 30 to 60 people being online and posting at once, but the actual "Halo" chat area of the discord is almost always barren. The main chat, which is much more active, is filled with far right wing hivemind circlejerking, anime posting, and meme dumps. This means that there are people that post in discord constantly but can't be bothered to bump the thread. In fact, I was in an /hg/ party a few days ago and several of them specifically stated they WANTED the thread to die and would purposely not bump it.

Not that the thread has been worth visiting in the last 6 months anyway. Any conversation that gets any steam is an argument about why Halo _ is "objectively" the best halo and why everyone that disagrees is "objectively" wrong. So I guess the general has been dead on the inside for a while now and only now realized it.
>>
>>382121631
>>382122118
I played with those guys once. Never in my life have I dealt with such a clusterfuck of imtolerable personalities, randing from mildly autistic to debating the most pointless things. It didn't help that two thirds of them went negative in the game we were in. The only ones that were good at all complete dicks to everyone else.
>>
Doesn't matter to me, I still enjoy the games.
>>
>that /hg/ party last night
Only like 3 people actually playing halo (though admittedly I wasn't either) while everyone argues about how WWII should have ended

Glad the general is dead desu.
>>
>>382118015
Just get a xim4, Xbone, and mcc and replay the single player campaigns over and over until you die. That's all halo has left anymore
>>
People here have been pretty spot on.
Halo was never going to retake it's spot in the sun after MW2, but it didn't have to die like this.
Also yeah /hg/ is... was terrible
>>
>>382121103
ODST is also a terrible Halo game and a bad shooter in general.
>>
The series is dead, and if nothing is done soon, seemingly for good. The Xbox as you know it, is currently a dying console. Microsoft has run the Xbox brand into the ground, 343 has run the Halo series into the ground, and without an installbase anywhere near the size of the PS4, PC, or at least the original Xbox 360, there's now hardly a place for a PERFECT Halo game to flourish.

Halo 4 struck gold and led 343 into a false sense of security, because for all its faults the game sold exceptionally well and the xbox 360's userbase was incredibly large, coupled with the fact longtime fans saw the long-awaited sequel to Halo 3. In the end though, it showed clear signs of failing to retain this audience early in its lifespan, and not many efforts were made in Halo 4 to appease them until the MCC re-release of the game.

It ultimately failed to maintain that new audience for long, but with Halo 5 around the corner there was a couple of things 343 just flat out didn't consider

>The Xbox One console and launch of MCC were very poorly received and many still did not own an Xbox One
>The new audience attained from Halo 4 all bought a PS4 instead, who were already bored of the Halo series with Halo 4.

>Meaning that the only consumers left who actually bought the new console and Halo 5, were longtime Halo fans.

>You still tried to cater to both audiences, retaining neither
>>
>>382121103
This is why games like arma , r6s and other tacticool games will never reach cods level of popularity
Videogames died in 2008
>>
>>382122839
Halo 4 sold well because it was marketed as a sequel to 3. It was literally childhood nostalgia pandering on a stick. If 343 honestly thought the initial sales were a better metric tp look at than the population drop, which is the worst I've ever seen in a game, then they are still completely to blame.
>>
>>382123003
343 is notorious for living in their own little bubble.
>>
>>382118015
This /hg/ lasted almost 2 years, that's the longest a Halo General has survived since /vg/ was created back in 2012.
>>
>>382123003
I'm realizing now that there was a fucking 5 year gap between 3 and 4, holy shit. Yea it was nostalgia pandering to college and high school kids who played it when they were teenagers
>>
>>382118015
Halo 3 was the last true "halo" game in the sense of community strength and overall quality of mechanics.

Halo: Reach was the last gasp of air for the franchise and started the decline with all the classes and bullshit.

The franchise should have died with 3 like it was intended to. Every new aspect of the games that followed were meant to copy call of duty/every new fps instead of providing an alternative.

They fucked over their core fan base for the competitive scene which alienated a lot of people who play it casually.

Fuck 343 and fuck Microsoft for continuing this zombie franchise
>>
>How to make Halo great again:
Release any and all Halo games to the PC, along with robust mod tools. Just look at CE - 16 years later it's still being played and mods and maps are being made.
>>
the only thing halo has going for it now is the game modes
idk much about the new halo but all those crazy multiplayer game types were a blast, something modern console shooters lack

halo basically invented the infected gametype which cod stole
zombies

all in all i think halo slowly lost it's fan base starting with 2, but after 3 it really dipped and the amount popular shooters out there both new and old were more than enough to take it's place
>>
Last decent Halo game was Reach

Just give it up friend
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
>>
Anyone that thinks Halo could ever reach its popularity from 2007-2010 is a fool. That ship has sailed and people need to learn to deal with their game being a niche title.
>>
>>382118015
idk but it hurts

i had some great times in halo 2, halo 3, and reach mp
>>
>>382123593
Fuck off with your biased nitpicking videos shill.
>>
The fight finished.
>>
>>382123480
>the only thing halo has going for it now is the game modes
And then 5 threw that all out the window.
>>
>>382123320
The last 8 months of that have been life support, systained on bumping for the sake of bumping, arguing about MY HALO IS BETTER THAN YOUR HALO, and discord drama

>>382123480
3 had the most fans and biggest population. The population started dipping in 2009. Despite its issues, Reach stayed a healthily populated and popular game through its existance and to this date is more populated than Halo 4 and is only about 13,000 behind halo 5 which sits at about 19,000. Halo 4 was the one that really did it
>>
343 industries, this is not some complicated secret, the games have lost what made them unique and popular, the series is dying itself
>>
>>382123719
Which modes are missing?
>>
>>382118015
>It's been on life support for the last few weeks
It's actually been on life support for best part of a year. People kept anime posting and drama posting, pointlessly keeping the threads alive for no other reason than to keep their secret little club alive.
>>
>>382123817
All of the asymmetrical modes, and Extraction.
>>
Sigmund won.
He is the emperor Sheev of /hg/.

He tried to defeat Kai and claim leader, but he was unsuccessful, however his discord grew in strength with people that now only post there and not in the thread. The discord has become the new /hg/ and sigmund has become the new leader.
>>
>>382123672
>nitpicking

That would eventually lead to the downfall of the franchise
>>
>>382121103
Pretty much. I have friends that ditched Titanfall 2 because "I already unlocked everything." Knowing that people prefer a pat on the head after every match to actually decent gameplay makes me angry.
>>
File: 1498129797391.jpg (83KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
1498129797391.jpg
83KB, 960x717px
>friend and I consider grabbing a used XB1 and Halo 5 when it comes out so we can crank that splitscreen like when we were kids
>343 comes out and says Halo 5 won't have splitscreen
Fuck it.
>>
>>382124106
Like Reach?
>>
>>382123740
Nice to see someone else from the general who wasn't deluded as fuck. >>382123820 was my post for reference
>>
>>382124151
anon you have nut on your macbook
>>
>>382124151
Better off playing 3 again, or get the remake of 1 on xbone why would you bother with 5
>>
funniest thing is the Halo Killer was Halo itself lol
>>
File: sigmund.png (117KB, 515x477px) Image search: [Google]
sigmund.png
117KB, 515x477px
>>382124090
>>
>>382124239
Actually, it's 343. Nice try though lol
>>
>>382124171
See >>382123740

I have probably the same issues with Reach that you do, but it didn't kill Halo. The game was pretty regularly in the top most played Xbox games. I'm not saying it didn't contribute to the fall, but 4 put the franchise in the grave.
>>
File: worse than griffith.png (40KB, 253x238px) Image search: [Google]
worse than griffith.png
40KB, 253x238px
>>382124239

oh, the ironing

>>382123593

>competitive
>competitive
>competitive
>competitive?
>competitive, competitive
>competitive!
>competitive
>competitive
>>
>>382123569
Shut the fuck up.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1DKmjNJ-_NM
>>
>>382124447
Reach killed interest in the franchise and started the decline. Its numbers were pitiful compared to 3.
>>
/vg/ was a mistake. good god you're acting like having nothing left to say is a major life changing event
>>
>>382124090
Explain, who is Sigmund and who is Kai
>>
File: 1410507438814.jpg (131KB, 540x600px) Image search: [Google]
1410507438814.jpg
131KB, 540x600px
Mandatory Viewing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
>>
>>382124546
/tfg/ is nice because there isn't any cliquiness and secret club bullshit yet
>>
Can someone post a discord invite?
I just want someone to talk about halo
>>
File: bad example anon.jpg (284KB, 1069x1252px) Image search: [Google]
bad example anon.jpg
284KB, 1069x1252px
>>382124475
At least try
>>
No game series can last forever changing so little between releases.

>Muh ADS
>Muh sprinting
>Muh new enemies I don't like

These are all minor changes in comparison to the experimentation in other long running series like Mario or Zelda. The sure fire way to make Halo more dead than it is now was to constantly release Halo 3 clones with almost no changes. To become a titan again Halo needs another Halo 1 moment.

I don't know how you reinvigorate and revolutionize a first person shooter any more though. Almost everything has been tried or done.
>>
>>382124526
Actually when Reach launched it broke tge record for most popular game on Xbox Live ever. It did average less players overall but that's in 2011 when COD was king of the world and Reach had to split its population with the still popular Halo 3.
I hate having to defend Reach. I really don't care much for the game, and I do think it contributed to the downfall, but it didn't kill the series. 343 did.
>>
>>382124935
>Actually when Reach launched it broke tge record for most popular game on Xbox Live ever.
And then a week later Black Ops came out.
>>
>>382124090
Sigmund will cling to the discord for as long as he possibly can. He was the biggest power hungry loser in hg, constantly trying to paint himself in the best light, obsessing over it and trying to create rifts against other members and Kai. I'm glad Kai held on to the Company as it will eat away at him for as long as he does. Sigmund had the typical "nice guy on the surface" persona.

I hope when the next iteration of Halo General losers like himself and Dew, the 2 most contrarian people I've ever met, don't come back. We're clearly kidding ourselves though as the general was pretty much all they had and obsessed over. 99% of the arguments in the threads were them sperging out over even the smallest of lore details, if you ever spent a night in any of the hg parties its obvious who was behind which posts. The same way they speak, the same opinions, the same sensitive snowflakes when their preferences are questioned.

It's a shame because hg had some pretty nice people, some I'd gladly class as friends, but they either left or were drowned out by the shitposting and arguments.
>>
>>382124935
This.
People complained about Reach all through its tenure, but they still kept playing, and the customs community was at an all time high. Halo 4 was the death knell.
>>
File: 1496354496685.jpg (20KB, 320x427px) Image search: [Google]
1496354496685.jpg
20KB, 320x427px
>never get another halo general community montage
>>
>>382124978
Thank you for proving my point.
>>
QUICK!
LIST THE TOP 5 WORST PEOPLE IN /HG/!
>>
>>382125063
The point being that even Halo 4 had a pretty good launch night. Halo 3 survived how many Call of Duty games in first place?
>>
>>382118015
Reach shattered the playerbase that Halo 3 had. Follow that up with Halo 4's drastic changes to the already drastic changes that Reach made from what was really the perfect formula to release every three years or so, and the playerbase wanes again. Halo 5 comes along and kills any hope for the single player for the lorefags, and the multiplayer is hot garbage except for the most hardcore of fanboys wanting to justify their purchase of an Xbone, which, at this point, only has THREE exclusive games.
>>
>>382124828
You're missing the point. Those "minor" changes completely gutted the gameplay without introducing anything new. Honestly I feel like the new successor to halo should be titanfall. They just need better enemy design because the gameplay and level design were on fucking point
>>
Change of tone/themes and CoD happened

when you have a game large enough to compete toe to toe with CoD you have either 2 options

1: risk your playerbase and add mechanics and stuff from the rival series to appeal to other playerbase.

2: play it safe and tweak/fix/perfectioning the gameplay so that your playerbase stays loyal and grows.

Microsoft risked it and tried option 1 and Halo 4/5 happened.

And now they went full panic mode with Halo 6, because they know, if this one fails, they might aswell can the rest of the series for ever.

Microsoft never learned that Halo is a niche series, outside of the multiplayer and FPS appeal, Halo always had this "hard" military sci fi universe, they killed that theme for a easier to understand "anime" theme

instead of being complex and shit, they went we wuz spartans n shit basically, also, you NEED to read the latest books to understand Halo 4 and Halo 5, its a clusterfuck what 343i/Microsoft did with the series.

>>382124526

Halo 3 was always in the top 5 games of XBL till Reach, and then Reach was on the same top (5/10) until 4 and all the shitstorm that came with it

Yes, Reach wasn't as large as 3, but it hold its weight vs CoD and such games.
>>
>>382123692
*fuck
:^)
>>
Halo 5 is great and has tons of players

The general probably degenerated into a tripfag circlejerk
>>
>>382125161
>>382125148
Again, Reach contributed to the decline, but not even a hundreth of what 4 did
>>
File: 1401124836015.png (30KB, 160x159px) Image search: [Google]
1401124836015.png
30KB, 160x159px
>>382123593
This video makes me too depressed.
In fact this entire thread has been depressing to read because I know its all true.
>>
>>382125314
This
>>
>>382125314
Halo 4 came out after a shit game that nobody wanted to play. Reach didn't.
>>
>>382125234
I mean, CoD was getting big, and FAST, so instead of securing their playerbase, they tried to appeal to them.

and thats something they didn't know, you don't COMPETE with another predator, you coexist with it.
>>
>>382125381
But people like reach. Nobody likes Halo 4.
The population drop off was catastrophic.

You can twist the goalposts all you want. Reach didn't kill halo. 343 did.
>>
>>382125314
People were still holding (and still are) onto brand loyalty when Reach came out. The changes to Firefight, the nickel and diming of credits for customization rather than just unlocking gear as you did cool shit, armor abilities, everything that Halo 4 did wrong, short of the poor enemy design in the single player, started in Reach.
>>
>>382125532
The trend started before Reach with ODST, Reach contributed to it, but the biggest contributer by far was 4. Not even close.
>>
>all that "hunt the truth" garbage pre-release Halo 5
>all that hype about Master Chief being a "bad guy"
>MC literally fights Locke for no more than a minute
>shortly after they team up to fight some mechanical bird
The entire marketing campaign was literally geared towards selling this farce about Master Chief going rogue. Also,
>creating enlarged maps to justify the spartan abilities and sprint in Halo 5
>literally copying and pasting every single player ability that was in CoD AW
>automatic rifles that were stupidly overpowered for no logical reason
>excluding classic gametypes like king of the hill, assault, and oddball
>big team battle was trash
They'll only continue to try and milk this franchise and you can bet they WON'T learn from previous mistakes. CoD is on a steep decline, Infinite Warfare was a dud and only sold a decent amount of copies because CoD4 remastered and WW2 looks pretty trash so if ever there was a time for Halo to make a comeback it's with Halo 6 but 343 will fuck it up guarantee.
>>
>b-but reach!
Looks like the discord has arrived
>>
>>382125502
Could you at least agree that Reach was the fatal shot?
>>
>>382125018
Everything you've just mentioned is what is so disgusting about /vg/. It's Reddit Plus.
>>
>>382124526
Reach had really solid consistent numbers for its whole life until 4 came out, even when black ops 2 was released.
Don't forget that Bungie was proud enough to have a population counter in both games and on their website to show. It never reached 3's numbers that's for sure but it was still standing on its own feet.
>>
>>382125650
>Could you at least agree that Reach was the fatal shot?
Not at all. It held a very healthy population all through its life. Hell, it has more players now than 4 does.
>>
>>382125601
Ease up on the Bungie worship, dude. ODST was a spin-off, and the only thing Reach took from it was Firefight.
>>
File: halo-master-chief.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
halo-master-chief.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
It's simple. Think about it, every since Halo first released it was a trend setter.
>Halo:CE made console FPS and FPS story telling big
(Only other game at the time to do this would be Half-Life)
>Halo 2 had an ambitious story and introduced everyone to console online play
>Halo 3 came out at the start of a new generation and showed off the power of the 360 which no one had experienced up to that point.
During this golden age of Halo everyone was trying to make "the Halo killer" in order to out shine Halo.
>>
>>382125689
Compared to Halo 3, it might as well have had 0 players. It was a miracle for the game to hold over 100k a year after launch.
>>
>>382125650
No because the numbers don't back that up. Halo's popularity was declining steadily from 2008 onward. Reach split the population with but otherwise the overall halo numbers were consistant with that decline until 4 released, which is when the numbers plummeted.
>>
>>382125650
No. Literally next to nobody thinks that. Reach is and always will be a more popular game than 4. 4 is widely considered the game that killed halo.
>>
From someone who has always been outside the fandom let me tell you, from my point of view Halo has been dead since like 2009.
>>
>>382125843
Fuck off. Reach came out after that and is still alive and well today.
>>
>>382125741
See >>382125772
Reach split the base population with Halo 3 whivh didn't die when Reach released the same way 2 didn't die when 3 released. The population decline pace of overall halo players was consistant throughout the Reach years until Halo 4 came oiut, spiked in players for a week or two, then fell off a cliff

>>382125910
This guy however is pretty ignorant and possibly false flagging.
>>
>>382125736
It's why Halo is remembered so fondly by most people. It got so big that even non-gamers knew about it.
>Reach was a bit of a change of form, while it did innovate a bit for Halo with forge and custom options it borrowed to m any things from other games
>In comes Halo 4, many borrowed ideas from other games
>It started with Reach, Halo started to become a trend follower and no longer a trend setter.
>>
Halo reach fucked the competitive community
Halo 4 fucked the entire casual and competitive community with its atrocious multiplayer
MCC never worked and still doesn't
Halo 5 had a shit launch with shit story and shit multiplayer with the guise of luring esports fags back in, which no one really likes and is already dead
>>
Can we all agree it was predominantly 343i's influence on the franchise which caused its accelerated decline?
>>
>>382125990
This.
Most people only look at the reach numbers and not the 3 numbers.
>>
>>382123817
invasion, oddball, race, 1 flag, 1 bomb (assault wasn't even in the game until a dlc that came out like 8 months after its release), juggernaut, territories, vip, head hunters, stockpile, regicide, dominion
>>
>>382126048
Halo 3 was able to hold 6 digits easily a year or two after launch. Reach was struggling to hit even 100k a year after launch.
>>
>>382126032
>Can we all agree it was predominantly 343i's influence on the franchise which caused its accelerated decline?
60% 343 and Microsoft
30% the rise of Cod
10% Halo Reach
>>
>>382118721
This. I am relatively young. I don't give even a small shit about Halo and I don't know anyone who likes it or even knows what it is properly. It's dead and thank God for that.
>>
>>382126032
Reach caused Halo to fall out of light with people who don't care a lot about Halo. 4 doomed it to obscurity.
>>
>>382126131
I'm okay with this.
>>
Halo 5 is fantastic
>>
>>382126112
Because it split the population. What part of this don't you understand? Overall halo player decline was consistant until 2012
>>
File: bad, sad bad.jpg (19KB, 419x387px) Image search: [Google]
bad, sad bad.jpg
19KB, 419x387px
>>382125314

Another way to look at this for the edification of the thread: Halo 3 sold about 12 million copies. This was about a 40% increase on Halo 2, which in turn had been about a 30% increase on Halo.

Reach lost about 20% of Halo 3's sales. This wasn't a great sign, but foreseeable given the marketing of the two games. Halo 4 however lost only about 1% of Reach's sales. That's quite decent for a series over ten years old at that time.

Halo 5 sold less than HALF as many copies as Halo 4, less than 5 million. That means that ONE HALF of the people who bought and, presumably, played Halo 4, decided "fuck this, why bother" when it came time to buy the next one.

Halo 5 fucking bombed. It sold worse than Halo 1. It sold worse than ODST for fucks sake. Was that because it was a bad game? Yes, sure it would have clawed back players if it were better, but ONE HALF the people who played Halo 4 decided they didn't even want to give Halo 5 a shot.

Halo 4 killed Halo.
>>
>>382126207
no
>>
>>382126131
This
>>
>>382126216
>Because it split the population.
Then why was Halo 3 not hurting when Halo 2 released? Or CoD4? Or WaW?
>>
>>382126003
When Titanfall released in became the new trend setter. While it didn't break any sales records it was praised for its mobility options.
>Titanfall was copied by so many games, notably CoD
>Halo 5 fell into the same damn category, just look at it. All it's mobility options are inspired by Titanfall
>MCC was fans and MS hope that Halo would be reborn but they fucked it up and now MCC is an embarrassment.
>>
>>382126304
Halo 5 doesn't have any of Titanfall's movement options, though.
>>
>>382126252
Plus sales are not even the only factor. Pop drop off indicates huge displeasure with 4.

>>382126282
Halo was an unrivaled monopoly in console shooters from 2001 to 2007. When 3 released, it had virtually zero competition. Reach released in an age where Halo wasn't even the go-to multiplayer console game anymore. Like someone said earlier, MW2 came out a year before reach and halo had no answer for it other than ODST.
>>
>no one has an Xbox One
>now let me tell you how good Halo 5 is

wew lads
>>
>>382126282
I don't like Reach, but that's a bad comparison. Halo 3 released under next to no competition. Reach released after COD had already taken the spot as top dog for a wbole year.
>>
>>382126405
I know it doesn't, but why are they there in the first place? Why not just regular Halo gunplay. I'd say they took inspiration from CoD just like Halo 4. And CoD at the time took inspiration from Titanfall.
>>
Halo 5 is an advamced mobility game
>>
It's been 10 years since a Halo game came out that built upon the core foundational mechanics established in 2001.

Halo is dead because Halo is no longer unique, they couldn't handle being second best, they needed the Call of Duty audience and compromised the design in Reach. The fanbase has split into so many factions because of the many different kinds of Halo gameplay and they are terrified to make a decision, so we get a half baked and wishy washy series for years.

Halo is dead to me, unless they go back to no enhanced mobility, colorful and simple visual design like Halo 3, a simplified and balanced sandbox and great maps.

I wont hold my breath.
>>
>>382124701
Hear what he say fucking faggot
>>
>>382118015
>Halo's popularity is a shell of its former self, but why

1. No Halo 3 PC
2. 343 is a bunch of fucking hacks
3. Microsoft Deserves it
>>
File: 129791361374.png (295KB, 385x383px) Image search: [Google]
129791361374.png
295KB, 385x383px
>microsoft strongarms bungie into releasing odst as a full-priced game
>reach makes questionable changes that costs them some of halo 3's playerbase (halo 3 was kind of a fluke so you could also see this returning to the franchise's normal sales)
>halo 4 runs off the goodwill created by 3/odst/reach and completely fucking ruins it by turning it into CoD-lite
>halo 5 not only goes even further with the cod-lite multiplayer, but introduces what is by far the worst campaign in the franchise

Microsoft's greed lost Bungie, 343i's incompetence lost Halo.
>>
File: 1489557709688.jpg (17KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1489557709688.jpg
17KB, 400x388px
>think about picking up an xb1 + mcc to replay all the halo campaigns in split screen with my friend like we used to in school
>both too busy with RL shit to waste that much time on vidya
>>
File: IMG_0883.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0883.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>382126798
>1. No Halo 3 PC
>>
>>382126565
Sprint and thrust are evolutions of Reach abilities, you could probably consider hover as one too. Slide has just become the standard for shooters with sprinting.
>>
>>382126252
Halo 5 bombed because the Xbone bombed, quality of the game itself is irreverent in this scenario. In 2015 they hadn't even broken 20 million consoles sold yet, when Halo 4 came out the Xbox 360 had over 60 million sold. A lot of the Halo fanbase potentially just got PS4s because of how badly the Xbone was doing and moved on to Destiny.
>>
I remember lore-fags getting really pissed because one of the newer games killed a prominent villain from the novels in a really anticlimactic way like it was nothing.
>>
>>382118015
>Surely the answer is more complicated and systematic than just "343 industries"

OPs like you make me laugh. You already know the answer to your question. You just want /k/ to lie to you and make you feel better.
>>
>>382127038
But people had negative reactions to reach AAs.
5 having things people don't like is completely 5's and 343's fault, not Reach's. That makes no sense.
>>
>>382126826
Halo 5's multiplayer is far less CoD than 4's was
>>
File: a corpulent turkish soldier.jpg (373KB, 750x1030px) Image search: [Google]
a corpulent turkish soldier.jpg
373KB, 750x1030px
>>382126798

>1. No Halo 3 PC

i mean im bitter about this too, but cmon son
>>
>>382126546
>Halo 3 released under next to no competition
When will this meme die? Even after 2007, there were plenty of games released that couldn't dethrone Halo 3.
>>
>>382127069
They killed Rookie from ODST like a punk.
>>
>>382127150
I mean, 343 is very incompitant. They might have thought people liked reach more than they did.
They're a terrible company that is seriously out of touch. Far worse than bungie.
>>
>>382126798
Putting Halo 3 on PC would do next to nothing to revitalize the franchise now. Fuck, I don't even think a MCC release could help the playerbase for long.
>>
>>382127150
The community was pretty much split down the middle on Reach's abilities.
>>
>>382127205
Cod 4 disn't grow in popilarity until after it released. Cod 3 didnt turn any heads.
>>
>>382127205
But cod 4 did dethrone halo 3. Multiple times in fact. The popilation decline started in 2008 as Cod grew more popular.
>>
PLEASE.
PROVIDE.
DISCORD.
LINK.
>>
>>382127325
And CoD4 wasn't able to dethrone Halo 3 at its peak.
>>
More info on Reach if anyone wants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvF-Obh_BBI
>>
>>382118015
343 Industries took it in the completely wrong direction and no one wanted to buy an Xbone just to play it.
>>
>>382127913
>33 minutes
Yeah, no
>>
>>382127913
>half hour video
Hownewru?
>>
Man, going back to all the Halo community shit from the franchise's heyday now is so depressing. HIH? Dead. HBO? Agonizingly dead, deader than the Marathon Story Page forums. RvB? Still coming out apparently, fuck knows what the hell it is about at this stage, 10+ seasons after I figured they had wrapped up the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLq4DB9egb8

Who remembers this shit?
>>
>>382127956
>>382128019
There's that much wrong with Reach.
>>
>>382118015
343 killed it
>>
>>382120530
Changing Cortana didn't help the situation, that killed it for me in the trailer stage.
>>
343 is actually just incompetent they keep saying they're listening to the community but they never fucking interact with it. They also claim they care about competitive gameplay but it's easy to see they actually don't give a fuck and just throw money at the scene hoping to sustain it, it took them a year and a half to change the settings to something tolerable but everyone already left. Also Halo 5 launched with jack shit and no social playlists.
>>
>>382128154
https://youtu.be/vg_ZkoUteLM
>>
>>382127913
I'm 10 minutes in and more than half the shit this guy is saying is positive...
>>
Halo 5 MP is really fun, I don't get how forge on PC only had like 30 ppl when i played it last.

I even really enjoyed battleground or whatever the PVPVE was called.

Halo doesn't deserve this fate. I'm going to pray that Halo 6 is amazing but I know that even if it is it'll just sell poorly and no one will play it.
>>
>>382118015
halo is kill

along with my pc copy of halo and halo 2, no idea where those discs ran off too.

but you can only replay a game SOO much, especially when it has no real story and lack luster gameplay.
>>
>>382127173
>>382127284
You seriously cannot tell me that there would not be a dedicated PC following, there are fuckers who have literally modded a shitty free to play knockoff just to come close to having it.

That is probably why it will never be released, why buy Halo 6 on windows 10 if everyone just plays Halo 3 on literally everything else.
>>
>>382128534
>Halo 5 MP is really fun
I completely disagree, but I respect your opinion
>>
Just release Halo 6, and let the series die. I'm one of the biggest fanboys of the series, but it's done and the story will never live up to the original trilogy. Even if they fire Reed and write a decent script, there will never be that tension in the series of "Will the humans conquer?"

I miss this game so much.
>>
>>382128582
>there are fuckers who have literally modded a shitty free to play knockoff just to come close to having it.
Like 5 people. PC players don't give a shit about anything but F2P cancer and esports cancer.
>>
>>382128582
The PC community does not care about Halo. Halo Online has been hacked and playable for over a year and is dead. Halo Wars 2 on W10 is dead. Halo 5 on W10 is dead.
>>
>>382128431
No Halo dev has really interacted with the community.
>>
File: IMG_2272.jpg (79KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2272.jpg
79KB, 480x360px
>>382128154
You forgot one

>theres still new episodes coming out
>>
>>382120530
Halo 5 has the greatest multiplayer of the series. Easily Top 3 last year contending with Overwatch and Titanfall 2.
The story is a mess but it's still following the basic guidelines set out by Bungie. Their art direction just sucks ass, and the liberties they take with fluff characters is horrible. How they can write great characters in their audio drama but consistently shit out characters like Palmer, Tanaka, Veil, the Didact, and Warden amazes me.
>>
>>382128582

PC modding communities are cool and all but they don't keep a console franchise "alive" from the point of view of the people who are funding it.

>That is probably why it will never be released, why buy Halo 6 on windows 10 if everyone just plays Halo 3 on literally everything else.

Surely you see how delusional this is though, come on. Selling to PC players forms no part of whatever marketing strategy 343i pursue and shitty as that strategy is, you can't convince me it should.
>>
>>382128583
Best arena shooter out there right now
>>
>>382128828
Wait what? Didn't Arbiter and Chief kill themselves from a house fire or something?
>>
>>382118015
Good riddance. Any FPS designed for analog sticks deserves to die
>>
>>382128879
You know what, you're probably right. Pretty sad. God what a dead genre.
>>
>>382128879
Halo isn't and never has been an arena shooter.
>>
>>382128780
the only reason its dead is they are pushing windows 10 to sell it.
>>
>>382128956
Halo 5 is
>>
>>382127758
>Me
>Closeted
The rest is spot on.
>>
File: wat.jpg (160KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
160KB, 900x1200px
>>382128854
>Halo 5 has the greatest multiplayer of the series
>>
>>382128816
Bungie did interact though, they had constant community playlists/content.
>>
>>382129017
No it's not. It's Halo with some added movement abilities.
>>
>>382129024
he's right
>>
>>382128854
>Halo 5 has the greatest multiplayer
Um...
>of the series.
UMMMMMM
>Easily Top 3 of last year
Pfffffffhahahaha
>Overwatch
Anon, fucking stop.
>>
>>382128854
>halo 5 has the greatest multiplayer in the series
I just... wat
>>
>>382129068
it's much faster too with much more verticality and hitscan beam weapons
>>
>>382128583
I respect your dissent as well.

Halo 5 isn't amazing but I wouldn't call it bad either, theres really no other arena fps. It played like a good mix of Halo CE and 2.

New shit like spartan charge/sprint/ """ADS""" get a bad rap despite not being that offensive. Bullet magnetism still present (and likely always will be) but precision shooting matters more in 5 than in any other halo ever before.
>>
>>382129128
Halo 2 exists, so no, Halo 5 doesn't have the best multiplayer in the series. Anyone who disagrees is underage.
>>
>>382128854
just because it's the only one you played it doesn't make it the best
>>
>>382129048
So does 343?
>>
>>382118721
This, sadly.
>>
>>382129251
Halo 2 had shitty MP
>>
>>382129205
>>382129171
>>382129024
>>382129269
Ignore him. There is no point in arguing with someone that says something that the overwhelming majority of the fanbase completely disagrees with.
>>
>>382128534
It does deserve this fate, it was supposed to die 10 years ago and Bill Gates put it on a food tube.
>>
>>382129312
good for them I was never much of a Halo fan after 2 was so wholly bleh
>>
>>382129221
Halo 1 is still faster despite not having advanced movement also verticality means shit when it's easy to move up and down.
>>
>>382129221
Again, it's not an arena shooter. It's Halo with some movement abilities tacked on.
>>
>>382129312
This
>>
>>382129436
sure
>>
File: 1466958109114.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1466958109114.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>382129024
>>382129171
>>382129205
All those counter arguments holy shit, /v/ is full video game connoisseurs.
>>
File: IMG_2273.jpg (52KB, 191x263px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2273.jpg
52KB, 191x263px
>>382128854

its true
>>
>>382129251
Halo 2 can't be the best when CE exists.
>>
>>382129425
>Halo 1 is still faster
doubt
>>
>>382128673
>Make modded game
>take it to reddit because of reasons
>constantly break older versions for no good reason and delay any new fixes
>wonder why 5 people play it
There were thousands of people playing it when it was first starting off, the retards working on it are to blame for running all the players off.

>>382128780
>The PC community does not care about Halo
Except that Halo CE is still going strong after 16 fucking years. Hows that MCC population treating you? Superior console experience as always huh?

It does matter though, this franchise is dead as fuck after Halo 6 on every platform.

>>382128872
>but they don't keep a console franchise "alive"
>market to consoles
>get huge support on PC and lots of money
>make game exclusive
>keep marketing to consoles
>no consoles buy game
>game fails
>studio folds
>but PC gamers can't keep it alive!!!!
Next you'll blame piracy or some other retarded shit.

>Selling to PC players forms no part of whatever marketing strategy 343i pursue
Halo 6 is coming to PC you retard, their entire brand is imploding and they are getting desperate.
>>
>>382128828
The new episodes have this weird feeling of trying to force some hidden message, and the episodes go kinda slow to me, I've only watched 2 of them because they're like an hour long each, not that into the new ones but at least they don't suck.
>>
>>382129579
>CE
>best
Maybe if it worked right for anything outside of 2v2.
>>
>>382129639
>Except that Halo CE is still going strong after 16 fucking years.
Colombians, Brazilians, and Mexicans aren't people.
>>
>>382129251
>dat bullet magnetism
>giant headshot hitbox
>dat shitty FoV

ummm no sweetie
>>
>>382129664
Just played 4 v 4 the other day. Had a blast.
I can see it being a clusterfuck on some smaller maps though.
>>
>>382129664
It doesn't need to work competitively for anything but 2v2. It's not like anything higher is unplayable, just less controllable.
>>
>people in this thread right now trying to say halo 5 has the BEST multiplayer
>>
>>382129816
Works fine for me
>>
>>382129779
Just for fun with friends sure, anything slightly competitive is a mess.
>>
>>382129816
To each his own.
Halo 1 4v4 is the best way to play it for me
>>
>>382129251
>Halo 3 is a refined, polished version of Halo 2
>People still think 2 is the best
>HAHA LOL UNDERAGE UNDERAGE
It's like people don't use the literal definition of that word, but instead use it for things they simply dislike.
You are genuinely fucking blind with pride, it's actually embarassing. I mean I know this place is known for being filled with insuffereable faggots, but damn, you are an insufferable faggot. Here's your (You).
>>
>>382129816
Nah. Halo CE with 8-12 people on larger maps has always been a blast for friends and I. Works competitively too.
>>
>>382129583
2v2 games are faster than every other 4v4 Halo game
>>
>>382129885
more like
>People in this thread RIGHT NOW are in middle school
>>
>>382130008
>refined, polished
That's a funny way of saying 'casualized.'
>>
>>382129978
This. I can't imagine playing sidewinder with 2 people.
>>
>>382122575
What are you talking about? We were playing BTB, castle wars, then went to do a puzzle map which lasted nearly 2 hours.
>>
>>382129941
>>382129978
>>382130032
It's objectively less competitive than 2v2 play due to how well the spawn system works if you only have a single teammate. That said, it's not uncompetitive or unfun.
>>
>>382130091
I guess I didn't stick around for when that started. I left because of how loud it was and I couldnt understand anyone.
Either way, nice job bumping the thread.
>>
>>382129312
>overwhelming majority of the fanbase

If that were true then Halo 5 would've had better sales since they played it, right?

No, Halo 5 got meme'd to death
>>
File: 02 - sjCEnBP.jpg (101KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
02 - sjCEnBP.jpg
101KB, 1200x750px
How would you have fixed /hg/?
>>
>>382130162
>objectively
Wew
>>
>>382130038
2v2 games in every other Halo ran to 25-30 kills. In Halo 1, they went to 50.
>>
>>382129885
Well it does have some truth into it, it's definitely the most competitive focused in the series with a heavy weapon balance and arguably with the highest skill ceiling. Now, if you're just looking for a more relaxed or social experience on BTB/Slayer just for fun it's where 5 fails because it wasn't the focus of the game design.
>>
Another factor as to why everything went to shit is the fact the fact that the fucking community fractured and cannibalized itself, as you can see in this thread, and nearly every Halo thread, excepting the ones where everyone likes the same game.
But seriously, generalfags need to get the fuck off this board with their gay internet drama shit.
>>
>>382130253
I remember a lot of people feeling burnt by the marketing campaign, but it's like do you not remember Halo 2???
>>
File: MajoraZ.png (13KB, 585x259px) Image search: [Google]
MajoraZ.png
13KB, 585x259px
never forget
>>
>>382128476
It's called weighing the good and bad.
>>
>>382130274
The spawn system is more random when you have any more or less than 2-player teams.
>>
>>382130162
To be fair, it largely depends on what version of halo CE you're playing. The original Xbox version is still the definitove edition and has better spawns. Every other version is based on the original PC release which actually uses an earlier build of the game.
>>
>>382130229
>I left because of how loud it was and I couldnt understand anyone.
That's the problem when you have 14 people in the same party and everyone is speaking over each other.

>Either way, nice job bumping the thread.
Well I just got here and I don't want it to die yet.
/v/ halo threads tend to be nice
>>
>>382130434
This. I can never play any more than 2v2 for comoetitive on CE in MCC because of how bad the spawns are. Played halo 1 on the heug 3 weeks ago with friends. Night and day difference.
>>
>>382130373
That's what happens when every release changes up everything from the previous game for the sake of variety.
>>
>>382130353
the only educated opinion in the thread
>>
>>382118015
A lot of dumb faggots will tell you when 343 took over but the truth is ODST and Reach. After Halo 3, Bungie was fed up with Halo and the Master Chief's story so they did all they can to change Halo for the worst because they no longer had any innovative ideas or ay ideas at all on how to continue the franchise. OSDT was a 2 hour barren piece of shit that was the worst selling FPS Halo game, people will try to say its story was great but it's not, it has you running around going through doing stupid flashbacks that have nothing to do with the story, I lost count on how many times the Rookie picked up something and then dropped it. The story doesn't start until Dare calls Rookie but the game is already over by then. No gives a fuck about Bucks retarded relationships and the canon breaks with Halo 2 and 3 were unnecessary. The game also had one of the worst final missions in the series mixed with film grain, and a worst version of Horde and Nazi Zombie mode. Next came 2010's Halo Reach which started with the garbage beta no one liked and then when the game came out it had one of he worst campaign in the series with terrible level designs, bad characters, no plot (like ODST), canon breaks with Halo 1-3, gameplay that wasn't Halo, film grain, motion blur, 20fps, and every mode that wasn't Forge being shit. The game had the worst maps in the series and Forge maps were grey as fuck. The game also introduced a lot of the cancer we see today. After Halo 3, players wanted faster movement, Bungie instead intentionally made the players slower in both ODST and Reach and stopped listening to the fanbase soon after.

Fuck Bungie and fuck the faggots that kiss their shit filled ass. Halo Reach also stopped selling at 7 million.

343's main mistake was continuing with Bungie's garbage direction with Halo 4, not releasing H2A separately, and sidelining the Chief while removing split screen and lan in Halo 5, all slated to make a return in Halo 6 and beyond.
>>
>>382130402

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>382130353
We will just have to agree to disagree.
Or not.
>>
File: 1497906836069.jpg (91KB, 811x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1497906836069.jpg
91KB, 811x1024px
>halo
any active halo games on PC? loved halo 3 and CE multiplayer
>>
>>382118015
>more complicated and systematic than just "343 industries" or sonething like that.
It's that and a combination of the increasing popularity of Steam. If Microsoft allowed the IP to branch out to Steam then it would have been another story. I'd be playing Halo again right now.
>>
>>382130264
Remove tripfags

Disband the company so no more autism about Achilles
>>
>>382130513
That usually doesn't happen with games that do that, people just pick their favorite one. But with Halo it's like Mad Max factions fighting for superiority.
>>
File: wort wort.jpg (24KB, 550x375px) Image search: [Google]
wort wort.jpg
24KB, 550x375px
When Halo 5 killed split screen, LAN, and basically any form of local multiplayer.

Ever since Halo 1 Bungie has taken local multiplayer seriously to where they utilized the console equivalent to LAN to make 16 player matches possible without online play. Even after Xbox Live became a thing, Halo maintained a strong local multiplayer approach. Playing split screen all day with friends, tons of 4+ player matches at parties and sleepovers, 16 kids playing System Link at the last week of school. This is the magic Halo had, this is what made it one of THE multiplayer experiences of the 6th and 7th generations. Call of Duty from 4 onwards did this too, and it eventually became the console shooter to surpass Halo.

In Generation 7, a bullshit trend started where shooters wouldn't have offline multiplayer. I don't mean singleplayer only games such as Bioshock, I mean that they only have multiplayer if you play them online. No splitscreen, no system link, no room for the magic. This meant that when their online base dried up (and they usually dried up quickly), the multiplayer was effectively gone from the game.

Halo 2 and onwards had online multiplayer, and that feature greatly supplemented their massive successes, but as Halo 1 proven, they could be good without them. I personally played Halo 3 for months before being able to use Xbox Live. Keep in mind that online multiplayer wasn't as widespread as it became by the end of the generation and having great offline multiplayer meant that those who didn't have Xbox Live Gold would still buy and play Halo 3. Those shitty online-only games, on the other hand, get ignored miss out on potential customers right out the gate.

Halo 4 made tons of mistakes, it made have started the franchise in the wrong direction, but at least it kept the tradition of strong offline multiplayer. It was still commercially successful, placing between Halo Reach and Halo 2 at roughly 10 mil sales.

But then Halo 5 happened... (cont)
>>
halo stopped making good innovations
CE showed that there can be fun console shooters
2 was the big leap forward for matchmaking and was the first console game to have a large multiplayer playerbase
3 introduced a great map/game mode editor, much more customization, and had some big maps with tons of vehicles
ODST stole horde mode and didn't have matchmaking so it wasn't that popular
reach continued to improve on all of the innovations 3 made, but didn't really have anything new to add (besides invasion, which was a flop in the wider community)
4 didn't add anything good and the shit they did add was taken from more popular shooters like cod, again, not innovative
5 tried to add in an esports element and modes from counter strike, again taking elements from more popular games and putting them in a game where it really doesn't belong, they also added in warzone mode which was obviously inspired by titanfall and mobas, but the thing about warzone is that it's p2w shit
the lack of beneficial innovations killed halo. going from 1 to 2, there's a huge difference in not only the way the game plays and handles, but the way that you play the game itself. same with halo 3, and reach to a lesser extent. but you don't see that innovation going from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5. now bungie is making innovations with destiny, which is why so many people play the game despite the fact that it's monetization model is a complete scam
>>
>>382130536
/hg/ detected.

And no, 4 being bad is 4's fault, not reach's.
>>
>>382130264
>Banned all dramafags/sekret klub faggotry
>Talk about Halo instead without Halo 5 dicksucking taking precedent over anything else

There you go, it's fixed. But it's not like hg is the only general with that problem. Destiny general is just as bad, probably worse, they're just more alive.
>>
>>382130434
PC's player spawns work identically to the original game's. Item spawns were fucked for a long time before PC modders were able to fix it.
>>
>>382118015
Halo General periodically dies each time a cancerous circlejerk forms and drives all the anons away.
>>
>>382130536
Reach is an objectively more popular game than 4 or 5 and no amount of ebin length posts will ever change that. Cheers.
>>
>>382130580
halo wars
>>
>>382130615
Name 3 (THREE) tripfags who were lurking /hg/
>>
>>382130671
>PC's player spawns work identically to the original game's.
This is not true. In fact, PC spawns get changed with every update.
>>
>>382130628
Halo draws many comparisons to Smash. Both are party games that change up a lot between releases and have fans constantly at war with one another.
>>
>>382122315
>>382122118
Who bodied you?
>>
>/hg/ shows up
>blame shifts from 4 to reach
Every time
>>
>>382130724
>Bias
>Pizza
>Red
>>
>>382130792
It's ok, the majority, the vast majority, will always know 4 did it. /hg/ can shitpost all they want, they don't even have a general anymore. Kek.
>>
>>382130772
>Smash
Dropped.
I don't think you're taking this conversation seriously.
>>
>>382130760
Halo PC hasn't had an update in like 10 years if you don't count the recent one when Gamespy shut down.
>>
>>382130864
This.
I'm glad /hg/ is dead.
It was a group of a few people holding on to mindless reach hate 7 years after release bumping the thread with dick size comparison tier arguments.
>>
File: hg die.jpg (209KB, 1253x661px) Image search: [Google]
hg die.jpg
209KB, 1253x661px
>>382130264
>ban game wars
>ban 343shill, CEfag, reachfag, 3babbies shitposting
>ban discord drama
>ban tripfag drama
>encourage custom sessions (THAT ARE ACTUALLY POSTED IN THE FUCKING THREAD)
>well organized events like that tournament that never actually happened

Here's hoping for a better community for /hg/ 4.0.
>>
>>382130880
This shitflinging is absolutely nothing new. Doom is another example.
>>
>>382130880
Halo and Smash are intrinsically linked. They had similar communities at a similar age.
So some research. Both games literally together founded MLG.
>>
I was surprised it was still up considering everyone should have dropped it in the first few months, everyone went back to Destiny. There are still more random generals that need to be closed
>>
We all just need to kill Chaosdroid 2.
>>
>>382130947
>>ban 343shill, CEfag, reachfag, 3babbies shitposting
t.2fag
We get it, you like instant kills.
Now keep your boner in your pants before you spill your superior taste in vidya all over us.
>>
File: el rato.jpg (389KB, 1026x1469px) Image search: [Google]
el rato.jpg
389KB, 1026x1469px
The discord is currently discussing this thread.
>>
>>382130646
I never said Halo 4 failed because of Reach, I said it failed because 343 decided to take ideas from a piece of shit instead of the last good Halo game that released in 2007.

>>382130720
Doesn't matter how popular it was, it stopped selling in 2012 while Halo 3 was still selling, it got outsold by Halo 4, HALO 4. no one liked it and all it did was damage the franchise. While Halo 4 was unpopular because it pushed Reach's ideas forward Halo 5 lost popularity for sidelining Master Chief , they should have known from Halo 2 that you just don't do that, removing split screen and lan, and then adding content late
>>
>>382128935
They came back to life after Jon bought replacement toys, following an extended stay in Hell.
>>
>>382131074
You seen that SMITE general?
Hah! I don't know why they even bother. They got some weird fucking pride going on over there where they won't admit their shit is dead and they keep making them. It's embarrassing honestly.
>>
>>382131168
>2fag
I didn't know this term was a thing but sure, include them as well, i'm sure you know what i tried to say anyway.
>>
>>382128956
It is though, just slowed down.
>>
>>382131385
Halo has always been closer to Counter Strike than Quake.
>>
>>382131282
You can fuck off along with the rest, keep your gay ass internet drama out of here.
I came to talk about vidya, not autists reeing at each other.
>>
ODST and Reach are primary examples of Microsoft should have either ended the series at Halo 3 or put the series on a 5 year hiatus until 2012 then release a Halo 4.
>>
>>382131282
Nobody cares. Fuck off /hg/, literally nobody else on the internet likes you autistic fags
>>
>>382131292
>it got outsold by Halo 4
Well, I've seen sources that say otherwise, but pretending they don't exist, that's a bad argument. Halo 4 disn't sell well because people liked halo 4. It sold well because people had hopes tjat, being HALO 4, it would be a true sequal to halo 3 in how it played... and it wasn't. Transformers 2 sold better than Most movies ever released. It's not a good movie.
>>
>>382118015
I played all the bungie games, they were all varying qualities of "good".

I played Halo 4, and that was "meh".

I never played Halo 5. I guess they're onto Halo 6 now?

I don't care, because they couldn't figure out what made Halo interesting to Halo fans like me. They thought I was the esports crowd. They thought I wanted CoD. They thought I wanted superhero capeshit. They thought I was an idiot and needed all the lore explained to me in cutscenes with no mystery or ambiguity. They thought I'd just accept retcons to push political opinions.

Well, they're wrong. Halo as I've seen it develop since Halo Reach just isn't Halo anymore. It's a game pretending to be Halo by a developer pretending to be Bungie.

Good while it lasted at least. 343i simply squandered what they had due to executive incompetence.
>>
>>382131512
So people bought Reach because they liked it, but nobody could have ever wanted to buy Halo 4 if they actually wanted it?
>>
>>382131512
This.
If anything, Halo 4's sales and then immidiate drop off are a testament to how much more responsiblw it is for killing the francgise than reach. By far.
>>
>>382131441
>Halo has always been closer to Counter Strike
Oh definitely, the limited lifes, movement, gunplay, round-based and overall gameplay are pretty much indistinguishable.
>>
>>382131583
People don't buy games because they like them. They buy them because they are hyped for them. Destiny sold very well because it was hyped to shit.

Stop. Using. Sales. As. A. Metric. Of. Quality.

Population drop off is a much better one.
>>
>>382131687
This.
>>
>>382131615
The movement is pretty similar. As are headshots, a strict weapon limit, and more of a military focus than a sci-fi one. The only thing Halo has in common with Quake is that you pick up guns from the map, and the Plasma Rifle shoots little blue balls.
>>
>>382131441
How can you possible come to that conclusion? It has all of the elements of an arena shooter, just with movement speed limited. You've got a slow TTK, weapon and item pickups which necessitate map control, and gunplay which encourages staying mobile at all times. It is literally just Quake slowed down to be more accessible.
>>
File: hgtage.png (1MB, 1118x816px) Image search: [Google]
hgtage.png
1MB, 1118x816px
>>382125034
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj0swJRlm5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBXxSRjMfE

What went right?

What went wrong?
>>
>>382131687
Fucking this.
>>
>>382131569
>I played all the bungie games, they were all varying qualities of "good".
Don't lie. Myth wasn't good, and neither was vanilla Destiny (which required over a hundred dollars of DLC to 'fix')
>>
File: halo3_20097419_Full.jpg (330KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
halo3_20097419_Full.jpg
330KB, 1920x1080px
>>382130636
When Halo 5 was revealed to have no splitscreen, it was a massive betrayal.

No split screen matches with your friends of brothers.
No 4 player games at parties and sleepovers.
No 16 player summer matches on the last Friday of 10th grade.
None of that magic can ever happen with Halo 5.

To this day I still remember the shitstorm on /v/, and even worse, the apologists who defended it. I know they weren't trying to be assholes, and it was mostly just them defending the game and their egos (I've done it with some other games myself). But it still made me furious. Halo wasn't just a splitscreen game, it was THE splitscreen game. Splitscreen was the fucking bedrock of the Halo experience.

>"Online multiplayer is big enough to where they don't really need to do it"
>"It's better to play it online anyways not much point in splitscreen honestly"
>"It would've a waste of dev time really"

That shit made me so fucking angry. I won't even try to describe the disgust. Anyways, at that point, Halo was effectively dead. Halo 4 was able to hit 10 mil but Halo 5 couldn't even outsell ODST. At that point it went from "not the king anymore but still a big player" to "completely washed out hasbeen that's sad to even look at"
>>
>>382118015
Halo should have died when bungie left it. Then 10 years later brought back as a grand continuation. The problem is the games industry is they milk their brands to death. Companies need to learn to cycle their brands especially after a trilogy is completed. Trilogies should be a stopping point and devs need to move on to new things for a while. Greed ruins everything though.
>>
>>382131749
It has a 2 weapon limit, no advanced movement abilities, regenerating health, pickups on very slow timers, and every player starts with the best gun in the game and full health/armor.
>>
Does anyone want to play Halo: Reach?
>>
File: HaloSales.jpg (132KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
HaloSales.jpg
132KB, 640x481px
>>382131512
Your source is VGChartz faggot, trying doing research next time bitch.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-3
14.5 million

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Halo
(head down to where it says Halo 4 on the Table of contents, ignore the chart)
>>
>>382131569
>they couldn't figure out what made Halo interesting to Halo fans like me
>didn't play 5

lol
>>
>>382132006
>copyright 2012
Anon, it's 2017
>>
>>382131596
This nothing mother fucker, research. See>>382132006
>>
>>382132006
>2012
Sp do you havw an actual 2017 source to show off to contrast VG charts' 2017 source?
>>
>>382132028
Halo 5 is a Halo game made for people who don't like Halo.
>>
>>382132101
Yeah and Reach stopped at 7 million, shithead. It was no longer selling after that.
>>
>>382132028
Can't you fags just fuck off to your containment threads? Oh that's right, nobody likes Halo anymore so the Halo generals died and now you have to post here. rly makes u think...
>>
>>382132121
See >>382131687

I don't know if you know this anon, but most people buy a game before they play it. Like, 99% of people.

Titanfall 2 is great but by your logic it must be terrible because nobody bought it.
>>
>>382128854
>Halo 5 has the greatest multiplayer of the series.
you should stop posting about video games, anywhere
>>
>>382132258
So, do you have a 2017 source to counter VGcharts or not?
It's a simple question.
>>
Let me tell you kids how it really is.

>Cod rises because of mw2
>Halo reach was good but started the armor abilities thing
>Halo 4's campaign was good but multiplayer sucked
>Halo 5's campaign sucked thanks to nigger locke and false marketing but the multiplayer is good besides the low amount of real made maps and shitty war zone
>xbox one not doing as good as 360

These are the real reasons

>t.18 years old guy that played halo since he was 4/5
>>
>>382132258
Show me a current year updated source that proves you correct.
I'm not wvwn saying you can't be right, but you need to post sources that are actually up to date or else you look like a bumbling idiot.
>>
>>382131902
>It has a 2 weapon limit
Hardly relevant
>no advanced movement abilities
Part of making it accessible, doesn't make it CS though. You still have to make use of basic movement techniques to have any chance, if you just run around with your feet on the ground you get destroyed. There is still an emphasis on movement and mobility, while CS is all about recoil control that discourages mobility.
>regenerating health
>pickups on very slow timers
Depends on the game, and the game mode.
>every player starts with the best gun in the game and full health/armor.
Only in Halo 1 because they accidentally made the pistol OP right before release.
>>
>>382132397
>>382132476
He won't post a source. He tried to do it in the /hg/ thread and got blown out there too. The latest he can find is 2012.
>>
>>382132452
Oh yeah the halo 5 engine and graphics also suck compared to 3 and h2a which are the best btw. Fuck shitty halo reach elite designs
>>
>>382127069
Yeah Jul mdama getting got in a cutscene at the end of the first mission was stupid as fuck
>>
>>382132552
It's sigmund anyway. Ignore him.
The guy sucks more 343 dicks than... well, you get it
>>
>>382132182
See>>382132258
I'm going to start reporting any mother fucker that uses VGChartz as a source, it should be a bannable offense like it is on other forum websites since the site is UNRELIABLE.
>>
>>382132663
Anon, I'm just asking you for an up to date modern day source.
2012 was FIVE AND A HALF YEARS AGO.
>>
>>382132663
>being this butthurt
So you don't have a modern source, got it.
>>
>>382132476
>>382132552
See>>382132663
Reported
>>
>>382130382
Halo 2 didn't lie about having split-screen, nor did it lie about master chief being the main character
>>
Ey fags, tell me this. Friend of mine bought an Xbone the other (lol what a fool) and I'm thinking of bringing over my copy of Reach for some good old Firefight.

How does Reach splitscreen run on Xbone back compat? You do have friends coming over to play with you, don't you?
>>
>>382131746
you are a fucking moron.
>>
>>382132529
>Hardly relevant
It's pretty relevant. Quake was about building up your arsenal for each fight. In Halo, you just hit the Y button and you're ready to go.
> if you just run around with your feet on the ground you get destroyed.
Jumping was heavily discouraged in the first game. Bouncing around was only really viable in Halo 2.
>Depends on the game, and the game mode.
They all have some form of regenerating health(shields), and the pickups have always been on pretty slow timers.
>Only in Halo 1 because they accidentally made the pistol OP right before release.
Every Halo game afterward has had BR or DMR starts. The Pistol was always intended to be a good gun.
>>
>>382132552
>>382132624
>>382132759
>>382132815
It doesn't matter. None of this matters.
It wouldn't matter if Halo 4 sold 3 times more than Reach, the point as stated here >>382131512 and >>382131687 is that the fact of the matter is Halo 4's sales are not a metric of its quality. It is objectively, by all metrics of popularity once the game was out and in people's hands, hated. It is in the halo community and gaming community at large, a less popular game than Halo Reach. By a significant margin. And that's why this guy is so butthurt.
>>
>>382132925
Reach is finally playable in multiplayer but campaign is still AAAAAAH tier for frame rates on Xbox One. Obviously split screen is a bit of a mess as well, but it's playable in multiplayer.
>>
>>382132759
>>382132815
Case and point, you better stop using unreliable sales figures, if you want actual sells look for the NPD, wait for the company to tell it, or ask people in the industry how well this shit sold, stop using VGChartz they are always wrong, you would think after the Other M fiasco, you dumb fuckers would stop using the site.
>>
>>382133034
This triggers the /hg/
>>
>>382133001
> Quake was about building up your arsenal for each fight. In Halo, you just hit the Y button and you're ready to go.
The entire multiplayer (bar some game modes) literally revolve around power weapons and where they are on the map. You make it seem like you'll always be fine no matter what weapon you have. That's just not true.
>>
>>382131081
He's literally the only one left who starts Halo 5 sessions
>>
>>382132925
>reach
throw that piece of shit in the dumpster
>firefight
and then kill yourself after
>>
>>382128854

Don't listen to all the other faggots replying to this post. You are technically right about H5 having the best MP. It's the most balanced, the smoothest etc.

BUT, it also highlights why the game failed. Halo may have been one of the primogenitors for the MLG E-Sports MUH COWMPETITIVE" bullshit, but at it's heart Halo was popular BECAUSE OF THE SETTING. The art direction, the music and the lore is what actually gave the game its staying power. 343i taking a massive fat shit on those concepts is ultimately what killed the franchise.

That, and just good old fashioned time and changing tastes. No franchise stays popular forever.
>>
>>382133172
See >>382133034

We have given up on you using a modern source. You clearly don't have one. But nothong you spout will change the fact that Reach is a more liked game than 4.
>>
>>382133212
In most of the Halo games, a headshot weapon is more than enough to hold your own. Not like Halo's gameplay style is bad or wrong, it's just not very much of an arena shooter.
>>
>>382133135
thx fag

you guys enjoy raping that copse i'm sure e3 2018 is going to be great. hahahaha

i was sad too. nothing lasts forever.
>>
>>382133308
Nah. Halo 5 is a dumpsterfire.
>>
>>382118015
I wish they'd just admit it's dead and release the old, good games on PC for nostalgia's sake.
>>
>>382130896
Does halo pc multiplayer still work? I quit a long long long time ago, but used to be really good.
>>
File: 1459344495634.jpg (27KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
1459344495634.jpg
27KB, 500x394px
>>382132832
>>382132847
>announcing reports
>>
>>382133245
Could be worse, he coupd be playong 5 """firefight"""
>>
>>382133512
Oh God don't remind me. 5 just keeps raping my childhood.
>>
>>382132237
>>382132286
>bitching about a game you didn't play
lol
>>
>>382133512
>implying WZ FF is bad
It's "Firefight" in name only but it's a fun mode on it's own.
>>
>>382133308
Meh, I disagree. Most people I've talked dispise 5 and dropped it. I still play it but I'd hardly consiser it that competitive. What a joke of a ranking system. But whatever. As long as you like it that's really all that matters. Gotta grind those reqs.
>>
>>382133001
>It's pretty relevant. Quake was about building up your arsenal for each fight.
Not really, it was about grabbing the best weapons you could and using them until you ran out of ammo. Good map control allowed you to scoop up more ammo, or grab something else that was better and you switched to that. Having an arsenal only really served to give you fallback options if your map control faltered.
>Jumping was heavily discouraged in the first game. Bouncing around was only really viable in Halo 2.
None of the Halo games have any penalty for jumping around at all, there is no in air accuracy modifier or anything like that in play. The only thing you could say discouraged it is the default control schemes.
>Every Halo game afterward has had BR or DMR starts.
Halo 2 you started with the SMG, Halo 3 the AR, and Reach had loadouts which is where the arena shooter elements started faltering. In 2/3 you only ever started with BRs in the MLG game modes.
>The Pistol was always intended to be a good gun.
Jason Jones accidentally doubled the pistols damage right before they shipped the game. He wanted to give it a slight damage boost but by mistake gave it a damage multiplier rather than just adding damage.
>>
>>382118015
It's literally not more complicated than "343 industries". Halo was Bungie's child and they gave it love, care, and attention. To 343 Halo is just a cash grab and they will throw in whatever sleazy change they can make if they think it will make a few bucks, be it "perks", weapon loadouts, armor abilities, sprint, microtransactions, etc. All to cater to a wider audience
>>
>>382133662
Warzone firefight is terrible
>>
>>382133605
I own Halo 5. It's not "the best multiplayer since Halo 2" like you guys proclaim. Halo 2 MP wasn't even that good compared to Halo 3 (Yes, Halo 3 was better than Halo 2. Deal with it)
>>
File: 1497530709747.jpg (932KB, 1196x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1497530709747.jpg
932KB, 1196x1920px
>>382118015
ok here is what I think broke Halo

Good old Halo used to be SUBLIME. It had mystery, a great atmosphere, a world that felt huge, all wrapped up with our modern military. You were feeling SMALL in older Halo games.

343 took the sublime elements out of Halo. They revealed the forerunners, elevated humans as a race, and ruined the sense of the vast world old Halo games had. They took the foundations out of the building while improving existing floors so the whole thing collapsed.
>>
>>382133774
>opinions
>>
>>382133662
>implying WZ FF is bad
It's worse than bad. It's abysmal
>>
>>382133662
Warzone Firefight is a bullet sponge mistake and clusterfuck of design. It's a terribly designed mode.
>>
>>382133397
Then let's stop talking about sales numbers because it's just going to get the ones with unreliable sources in trouble.

If Microsoft and 343 weren't retarded they could have let Bungie go after Halo 3 to work on Destiny and put Halo on break for 5 years and came out with Halo 4. At least the game would have been built from Halo 3's engine instead of Reach's. Plus we would have never gotten ODST and Reach and that would have been great.
>>
>>382131871
Halo 4 fucked up the series, but 5 outright killed it. 343i would have to pull nothing short of a miracle to renew interest in Halo.
>>
>>382118015
Halo Reach was divisive
Halo 4 sucked
Master Chief Collection sucked
Halo 5 was good but had a shit campaign
Nobody cared about Wars 2
Halo 3 Anniversary, the one game they needed this year to push Xbox One X, isn't happening
Halo 6 is delayed

It's dead. Halo 4 and MCC singlehandedly fucked the entire series up
>>
>>382133662
I don't even hate 5. I mean it's not that great in any fascet, but it's playable and at times even fun.
But warzone/firefight?
Nah man, it's trash.
>>
For me at least, I knew Halo was dead when the first map pack for Halo Reach came out.

Granted the original multiplayer maps for Reach were pretty dogshit; it takes a special kind of lazy to take small sections of the campaign and turn it into levels. These maps were well designed though, despite their repetitive nature, and the enhanced forge mode really helped spice up the variety.

That first map pack though aka the first thing 343 ever contributed to Halo, was fucking awful. The maps were far too big and had no choke points. They looks pretty but played like ass, which is why they got vetoed more than Snowbound.

When 4 was announced and the whole "ancient evil" bullshit was thrown into play, I knew my suspicions were correct.
>>
>>382133695
h3 team slayer had br starts from the beginning
big team in both was automatically br start
>>
>>382133951
>Then let's stop talking about sales numbers because it's just going to get the ones with unreliable sources in trouble
Yeah, those 5 year old sources especially.
>>
>>382133818
>They revealed the forerunners
I can't be mad about this because those Forerunner books were actually great Sci-Fi reads as their own thing.
>>
>>382133951
Agreed, lets sideline it until you can find modern sources
>>
>>382133991
Then why do i like it?
>inb4 shit taste
I like both ODST/Reach FF as well.
>>
>>382134046
No, the BR modes were their own thing that had BR right in the titles.
>>
>>382133807
Yup, I say Halo 5 is decent meaning it's only really better than Reach, it's debatable when compared with Halo 1's mp.
>>
>>382134006
Reach was the turning point for me. I could have maybe dealt with sprint/bloom, but armor abilities AND taking away ranked game play really killed it for me.
>>
>>382133695
>Jason Jones accidentally doubled the pistols damage
They always intended for the Pistol to be a really good weapon. They nerfed it in multiplayer to have the shots spread out if the trigger was being held.
http://www.hardylebel.com/2014/10/universal-truth-game-design-3-part-3/
>>
>>382134125
You like it because it's your opinion. That's all.
The opinions of the masses clearly disagree. That doesn't mean you're "wrong", just in the minority.
>>
>>382134150
no. veto for brs was literally said in every halo 3 matchmade lobby
>>
>Halo 4 has CoD gameplay elements
>Halo 5 ditches splitscreen and CoD elements

Fan reaction:
WHAAAAAAT!?!? FUCKING DIE DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!? BUNGIE WOULDNT HAVE EVER DONE HALF THIS SHIT. ITS HALO NOT CALL OF DUTY FUCK OFF WITH THAT SHIT. HALO IS DEAD TO ME NOW.

>Bungie makes Destiny
>Campaign is garbage
>online only
>No splitscreen
>Copious amounts of Call of Duty gameplay elements, more than Halo ever had

Fans: This is fine, thank you bungie for another excellent gaming experience. Can't wait for Destiny 2!
>>
>>382133221
What about Red? Or Sigmund? Droid, stop posting.
>>
>>382134157
Agreed.
Reach I like more than nothing.
5 i lile more than only reach.
>>
>>382134113
>>382134059
>you
you mean you guys, you're the ones using VGChartz as a source. I'm going to go ahead and delete the sales chart I'm no longer talking about sales.
>>
>>382134006
Bungie made the Noble maps.
>>
>>382134006
I don't think I've ever seen a H4 map picked in MCC's multiplayer.
>>
>>382134267
>wall running
>iron sights
>infinite sprint
>slide
>ground pound
5 has plenty of COD elements, and almost everybody hates them. Nice try though. I'll agree it's scaled nack feom 4.
>>
>>382118015
3 felt like and was advertised as the end of the series.
ODST and Reach were mediocre entries.
4 was bad.
Microsoft then fucked the XBone's launch.
Master Chief collection was a broken mess.
5 was bad.

I am a huge fan of the Halo series and still play 2's multiplayer on occasion. I sold my Xbone after 5 and won't be returning to the series.
>>
>>382134416
There is no wall running in 5.
>>
>>382134416
>wall running
>Halo 5
???
>>
>>382118015

people are finally realizing it's the exact same uninspired shit that all FPS is.
>>
>>382134267
Destiny isn't Halo, they explicitly said at every stage of development and at every showcase that they wanted to do something different because the studio was burnt out on Halo.

>Copious amounts of Call of Duty gameplay elements, more than Halo ever had
Like what exactly?
>>
>>382134486
Sorry i meant climbing. You're right. I fucked up
>>
>>382129764
>literally making shit up

Whatever helps you sleep at night, you utter spastic.
>>
Call of Duty and Battlefield happened.

The game's narrative ended with Halo 3. All the plot lines were wrapped up. The Flood was finished, the Prophets were overthrown, the war between the humans and the Covenant was over, Guilty Spark was dead, Johnson was dead, Chief and Cortana were stranded in space.

That's it really. Multiplayer died because casuals moved on to other games, single player died because the story ended at 3 and everything after came across as tacked on and contrived.
>>
File: 1498084184592.jpg (70KB, 960x729px) Image search: [Google]
1498084184592.jpg
70KB, 960x729px
>>382134267
I'm pretty sure everyone already agreed that post-Halo Bungie has been completely shitting the bed. Whether they continue this trend with Destiny 2 remains to be seen, but i'm glad bungie is finally giving the pc base some love and destiny 2 seems like it scratches that loot pinata fps itch that borderlands couldn't do if randy's wife depended on it.
>>
>>382118015
the new games are bad. that's why.
>>
>>382134472
True.
I'll leave the post up so people can laught at me. I deserve it. Still stand my my main argument, but i'll withdraw feom the convo due to posting like a retard
>>
>>382134687
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocyYwLCDyCU
>>
>>382134351
Shit anon, you're right.
I meant the one after it; totally forgot the first map pack was even a thing.
>>382134193
If only armor abilities were treated the same as equipment in normal gameplay. I don't mind having different gamemodes which have the abilities locked in, like a "jetpack slayer" or "infection with sprinting zombies", but having them on all the time felt a bit much.

There is a special place in hell for the person who thought armor lock was a good idea.
>>
File: 1492051046094.png (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1492051046094.png
9KB, 259x194px
>>382126165
>I don't know what it is
>I'm glad it's dead
>im relatively young
You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>382134793
And yet
https://youtu.be/UL1_ht1EdAU
>>
>>382134795
343 didn't make those maps, either. They were outsourced to Certain Affinity.
>>
>>382134695
They stumbled hard with Destiny's release, but they managed to recover pretty well. Destiny 1's main problem seemed like they massively changed direction mid-development but couldn't decide on a replacement direction before they shipped. Game was lost and didn't know exactly what to be, since then they've found that direction and have built towards it pretty well.
>>
Does anyone here actually want to play Halo. I don't really care which one.
>>
>>382118015
No PC ports worth a shit. Maybe if the MCC comes to PC and isn't garbage, it'll find new life in the PC community.

Halo CE was amazing on PC. They just need to replicate that.
>>
>>382134416
>wall running
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>382134870
That's how every Halo has worked.
>>
>>382134416
Replace wall running with clamber and you're 100% correct.
I'm assuming that's what you meant?
Id not, gwt help. You might bw retarded.
If so, thwn yeah, the cod influwncw is undeniable, but they at least did make it more transparwnt than in, say, 4.
They need to stop catering to othwr audiancws and instead innovate on their own terms.
>>
>>382134793
This kind of shit was necessary because of the shit internet and xbox live back then. It was pretty likely that the characters were 1-2 meters off your reticule by the time your fire command reached the server.
>>
>>382135076
I think your E key is busted friend.
>>
>>382134429
This
>>
>>382135050
Ywah I ducked up and deserve the shame. I meant the climbing. Still a big difference I know.

>>382135076
Yeah that's what i meant
>>
>>382135093
And it still happened on local play.
>>
>>382133693

I despise Halo 5 myself. Doesn't change the fact that at the end of the game it's the most balanced competitive game in the franchise. Which other iteration compares in balance? 2? 3? Fuck nah
>>
>>382135145
>Ywah I ducked up and deserve the shame. I meant the climbing. Still a big difference I know.
What's sad is that I believe it will be in Halo 6 along with double jumping.
>>
>>382132028
>He fell for the Halo 5 is good meme
>He fell for the Halo 5 multiplayer is better than Halo 2's meme

If you're actually trying to kill Halo, bravo, fantastic job.

If you actually believe either of these kill yourself.
>>
>>382134915
> Game was lost and didn't know exactly what to be, since then they've found that direction and have built towards it pretty well.
Different guy, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think Destiny has potential to be a truly amazing game, but let's be honest. They're just not invested in it. Destiny 1 was completely mediocre and underwhelming in almost every aspect (except the art, the art is great). They do't need to make a great game to sell like crazy, they just have to make more of the same boring shit and fans WILL eat it up and ask "When can I eat more shit for $20?" because the DLC were crazy overpriced. Destiny is not a game made for fans, it's a game made to maximize profits with as little effort as possible. And the fact that day 1 players had to spend more than a hundred dollars and wait more than 2 years to get the fixed' version is bullshit
>>
File: IMG_2275.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2275.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>382134416
>wallrunning
????
>iron sights/ads
Identical in functionality to Battle Rifle/Pistol just given to every weapon. Doesnt tighten spread or improve aim like CoD, Get hit and you lose the zoom just like before.

>sprinting
who gives a shit about sprinting

>ground pound
You just make yourself an easy target in the air all for a chance to completely miss your target 90% of the time. Not an argument
>>
I actually enjoy halo 5 atena multi. It's nowhere near the bwst in the series, the people spouting that are just shilling for 343, but it's still a step up from reach and certainly 4.

The campaign however...
>>
>>382127394
>t. kid who wasn't old enough back then

Halo 3 was able to take on and outlive CoD 4, WaW, and MW2. At the release of Black Ops, Reach came out and obviously most Halo fans went to play that. Even then, people started going back to 3, and Halo 3 had a few more years of a decent player base left in it. Wasn't until after Halo 4 when people just got tired of Halo all together and stopped playing. When the new consoles launched, Halo 3 was left forgotten with a player base lucky to even stay in the 4 digit numbers.
>>
>>382135438
>who gives a shit about sprinting
>>>/out/
>>
>>382135438
>This mechanic is similar to something from CoD
>"hurr who even cares it doesnt matter not an argument"
autism
>>
>>382135452
I'm 26 and know the trends better than you do. Cod passed Halo 3 in 2007 and aonly fell back again when WoW split the playerbase but even then it was right bwhind. Overall Cod had permanently passed Halo during 3's tenure.
>>
>>382135438
Sprinting is terrible.
How is this even... jesus christ
>>
>>382135397
I would disagree, because if they weren't invested and didn't care, they wouldn't have bothered trying to get the game in a better place. Regardless of whether or not the fixes came with paid content, they still tried and clearly cared about the state of the game. Just compare how Destiny has played out to the Division, now that is a game where the developers clearly had no emotional investment in it.
>>
>>382128828
this shit should have died
the first few episodes were funny
but it just kept going and going to a painful extent
>>
>>382135290
Halo 5 is like World of Warcraft Legion.

It's not as bad as the last release, but people are delusional if they think it's good.
>>
>>382133818
>343 took the sublime elements out of Halo. They revealed the forerunners, elevated humans as a race, and ruined the sense of the vast world old Halo games had. They took the foundations out of the building while improving existing floors so the whole thing collapsed.

Yeah, this is why I hate Halo lore fags.They ruined the fucking franchise. Halo's story was interesting because of the mystery. It was good because of the military tone that always wrapped everything.

Then Halo Reach, 4 and 5 went "lol super soldiers that kill everything".

One of the biggest mistakes I think that was made to Halo franchise was adding more Spartans. Spartans should've been like seeing Bigfoot. Like that shit should be a HUGE moment. Instead there's a spartan everytime you turn your fucking head. It gives no sense of challenge (outside of gameplay, in an immersive sense). Like hell yeah we're going to absolutely blow through everything. Chief was a One Man Army as it was.

And for Halo 4/5 they completely blew the water open on forerunners. I don't know if it was inevitable but that shit sucked ass, learning all about them and their goals. It was interesting when it was "this weird race of geniuses built some rings around the universe to wipe it of sentient life because there is a virus that can not be killed without them, oh and that virus is back." and that's all you know.
>>
>>382135452
Halo 3 outlived those games mostly because Activision kept replacing them with newer ones. The online scene for the CoD games was overall bigger than Halo's.
>>
>>382135778
I don't think it's a bad game in it's own right. The mechanics are solid, the gameplay is alright, it's a pretty deeeecent game.

But it's a shitty fucking Halo game. The way people hype it up next to Halo 2 is ridiculous and only sets the game up for failure. They should've made Halo 4/5 gameplay a spin-off and continued with """"""real""""""" Halo.

But 343 doesn't even have the ability to make a good original style Halo game, so fuck it.
>>
>>382135835
I get what you're saying, but I think Reach gets a pass. It was a prequel, half the reason Spartans are so rare in 1-3 is because they all got killed on Reach (including your entire team in that game). So playing as a small strike team of spartans there made sense.

Totally agree that 4 and 5 were nonsense though. The downfall of the series is simple... they stopped making good games.
>>
>>382135704
I'm not saying Bungie has LITERALLY no pride in Destiny. But they're just lazy with the game. People complained about Thorn and TLW for 9 MONTHS. It took 9 months to even get a response from Bungie saying "we acknowledge you're unhappy about the state of PvP balance". Shit like that is just not acceptable. I can go on all day with the mistakes Bungie has made and how it hurt the game and consumer but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Destiny even at it's lowest moments (which were very low, mind you) still had plenty of fans. They don't need to make a great game to make money, not when you cut corners, sell the content back months later as overpriced DLC and add $5 emotes that everyone buys. It's not like I hate Bungie or even Destiny, I don't want Destiny 2 to be bad, I want it to be good. I just have no faith in Bungie because why would they care? They already know what they did with Destiny 1 makes money so why bother making Destiny 2 any better?
>>
>>382134537
>actual real deal ADS/iron sights that make your gun magically shoot more accurately
>weapons having accuracy stats
>unlockable weapon enhancements (attachments basically)
>the l1+r1 ultimate similiar in function to killstreaks (not even 4 had that level of CoD shit)
>no weapon pickups on map, essentially weapon loadouts

More CoD than Halo 4 ever DREAMed of being
>>
>>382135835
>One of the biggest mistakes I think that was made to Halo franchise was adding more Spartans. Spartans should've been like seeing Bigfoot.
So much this. Spartans should have been those elite warriors who, against all odds, survived everything the UNSC threw at them, and in doing so, became these super soldiers that were literally walking tanks.

I liked the idea of having people like Buck and Sergent Johnson; soldiers who went through the training process or earlier versions of it, but never made it to become Spartans, but were still very dangerous and powerful in their own right. This is what Noble Team should have been.
>>
>>382135619
>>382135554
>CoD invented sprinting

Make an argument why Sprinting ruins Halo or is even worth arguing about. Go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
>>382135835
>One of the biggest mistakes I think that was made to Halo franchise was adding more Spartans.
Sure, from a logical standpoint, the humans in the Halo universe would eventually do the SPARTAN 4 project, but that only reinforces why the series should've chronologically ended with 3. Halo 3 had the perfect ending but they had to shit on it.
>>
>>382134267
Destiny appeals to a completely different audience imo. I love Halo and hate Destiny (and what Bungie has become).
>>
>>382135582
Again, you're wrong. Halo 3 was the game that it'd be accurate to say every 360 player owned. 4 and WaW were not nearly enough of a competition for Halo 3. CoD didn't become the big hit it was until MW2 where almost everyone was buying into it. Even then people STILL went back and played Halo 3. Reach and Black Ops came out, and a year after their release there was still more people playing 3.
>>
>>382136516
It's a clear grab to that audiance
>>
>>382135835
I like that Reach had us work with other Spartans. It's a prequel. It makes sense. If anything, I wish we saw other Spartans outside of Noble team working alongside the marines you encounter. It would've been pretty cool IMO. But the whole 'Spartans are rare, apex predators" thing is just so watered down in Halo 4 and 5. If everyone can be a spartan, than being a spartan doesn't mean anything. it's not cool anymore. Hell, ODSTs are cooler than spartans now
>>
Halo was never good, faggots. CoD was always the better game.
>>
>>382136176
Oh yeah Reach gets a hard pass from me. I don't want to be a "bungie apologist" but Reach was a legitimately pretty good Halo game. The campaign was good, the multiplayer was solid to Halo core gameplay and atmospheric style (although armour abilities were fucking cancerous and ultimately led to 343 expanding on them with 4/5) overall pretty good Halo game.

At least Halo: Reach is like a "half-spinoff" in that it didn't continue on Halo completely mechanically, or story wise, like you said it was a prequel.

>The downfall of the series is simple... they stopped making good games.

I'm sad as fuck but I can't come to accept this and move on. Halo was so fucking good and the least I can ask for is for the old games to be treated with respect so we can have those forever.

But nah 343 even completely fucks up the Master Chief Collection. Is there truly no justice in this world?
>>
>>382136223
Biggest problem with supporting Destiny 1 came with how the studio was being organized. Once the game shipped the bulk of the studio when right to working on Destiny 2, leaving a small team both working on DLC for Destiny 1 and doing the live updates. This team was extremely limited in what they could do, whenever they needed to make major code changes for something they had to temporarily bring people over from the Destiny 2 team. This team got bolstered slightly following Taken King, but then not long after people were being transferred away to the Destiny 2 team en-mass.
>>
It's funny because when i get into discussions with real fans at releases and conventions i don't see this level of autistic hate towards specific games. 4chan in particular has a particularly large reach hate boner.
I'm starting to suspect this place is a bad place to discuss halo.
>>
>>382136516
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ1cAra_CrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5chT_I3Yt2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9haxpHIHU
>>
>>382136845
Agreed, but prepare for angry shitposts
>>
>>382120151
It was really COD4: Modern Warfare that did it. MW2 just refined the formula. The success was a few things happening in concert.

One was the addition of metagaming (with the various builds and weapon loadouts) which also made the actual play simpler since you only have to worry about two weps and you're not picking up powerups during play.

Second was the RPG grinding elements, which let you continuously unlock more toys to play into the above. Just like in an MMO, this encouraged just mindlessly hitting level after level since you would always be getting upgraded, win or lose.

Lastly, they took the objective-based team gameplay from counterstrike and just really polished it. Good maps, good setups, etc made for a fast exciting game almost every time. And like CS, lots of avenues of approach and hiding spots meant you could sometimes outsmart and surprise faster players.
>>
>>382136937
God's work anon
>>
File: hghost.png (2MB, 1585x578px) Image search: [Google]
hghost.png
2MB, 1585x578px
It's over
>>
>>382136516
previous titles
>caught out of position
>die, or at least have to fight an unfavorable fight
Now
>caught out of position
>sprint away and live because ttk is still fairly long
>>
Let's say I'm making a Halo 2 clone for pc.

What do you want in it?
>>
>>382136918
People post all kinds of ridiculous shit on image boards and other anonymous outlets that they would never say in real life, it just goes with the territory.
>>
LITERALLY
JUST
REMOVE
SPRINT

You can keep the other shit. Even the ADS aesthetic. Whatever, I'll get used yo it.
Just. Remove. Sprint.
Sprint in Rwach is when it really started going down hill and later games only built on it.
>>
I have a bad feeling that 343 will add wall running and zip lining in Halo 6 since they used Forge in Halo 5 as a testing ground for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RbPVT3khBc
2:47:25

I also have a bad feeling double jumping will also be in Halo 6 going by Tim Longo comments on it.

Tim Longo: "We had some early Spartan abilities that didn’t make it into the game. They were a big addition to the sandbox for Halo 5, so we had a ground pound and shoulder charge, double jumps and kind of all sorts of other crazy things, that we ended up kind of focusing down."

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/xwqjg3/the-complete-untold-history-of-halo-an-oral-history
>>
File: halo are there guns in there.jpg (585KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
halo are there guns in there.jpg
585KB, 1152x864px
>>382118721
I still play through CE and 2 pretty often (strangely comfy despite the genre), but I stopped at those two.
I don't even know what happened in 3 and beyond, and while I wanted to play 3, I just don't care about the ones after that.
>>
>>382137172
This desu
>>
>>382137139
A good single player campaign and fun weapon variety, simple multiplayer with lots of customization options.
>>
>>382136975
Oh, and also, MW1 had easily one of the most engrossing single player campaigns ever in a shooter, which helped to reel people in at the start. Finishing it on 1P made a casual feel like an "expert" and gave the confidence to jump in and try multiplayer.
>>
>>382137172
This.

It's the core sourse of everything wrong
>>
>>382137139
Halo 2.
>>
>>382136693
>Zelda BoTW
>Link can jump and sprint
>you can jump and sprint in CoD

wtf i hate zelda now
>>
File: 1492632589165.png (156KB, 304x278px) Image search: [Google]
1492632589165.png
156KB, 304x278px
>>382137360
Holy fuck I'm so glad /hg/ is dead, you autists actually lack no self awareness
>>
it's almost like when you take something good that comes out once in a while and try to make it an annual thing it kills everything that made it good. Look forward to your thread in /tv/ about star wars in a year or two.
>>
>>382136516
>Sprinting means the maps need to be built around the mechanic which often leads to shittier maps
>it's a pointless mechanic that does nothing but make people feel like they're moving faster when really all you need to do is increase the base player movement to a suitable speed
>added balancing issues like does getting shot knock you out of sprint or not
>a fps game where you need to sacrifice your ability to shoot for mobility?
>>
>>382137083
>much higher skill ceiling
>a bad thing

I hope you're not the retard who compared Halo to Smash because that's essentially wavedashing
>>
>>382137618
>lack no self awareness
So they are self aware?
>>
>>382137618
>you autists actually lack no self awareness
>lack no
So they're self-aware then? Why are you praising them?
>>
>>382136549
>Write a stupid fucking lore book and put in it "THE SPARTAN 4 PROJECT WAS SO DANGEROUS 99% OF ATTEMPTED PROJECTS DIE."

There now the game can continue without needing to have (((6 kajillion))) Spartans.
>>
Because Microsoft has no idea what the fuck it's doing with any of its franchises anymore. The only exceptions are Forza Horizon and by some miracle Gears 4.
>>
>>382137889
I can tell you are a scrub who was probably a staff captain social slayer lord in Halo 3 because positioning is literally the most important thing in a shooter, especially halo. Sprint literally takes out any consequence of bad positioning and if anything makes it more casual. I know I'm being batied but still I'm sure there is probably someone who is actually this dense out there
>>
you want to fix Halo here i'll help microsoft. Take off Master Chief's helmet and give him a detailed backstory. You are welcome. If you want to really shake shit up make him a black woman under the helmet.
>>
>>382138562
They'd have to retcon the fall of reach book for that, too. Great idea, isn't it?
>>
Didn't halo wars 2 do good?
Also the new book Convoy was good. So there is still hope. If they play their cards right but it's still looking pretty slim
>>
>>382139009
Fall of Reach was already retconned with Halo Reach
>>
>>382118015
343 Industries ruined it with poor design choices and trying to copy Call of Duty. Aim down sights and sprinting don't belong in a halo game. It lost the sandbox style of the first trilogy and with it, its originality.

I like to think that it could still be saved, but it would require that they completely abandon the last two games and make another trilogy altogether.
>>
>>382139027
Halo Wars 2 bombed in sales.
>>
>>382138562
>Take off Master Chief's helmet
NO!

>>382139256
Reach retconned a lot of things in the main trilogy which is why I ignore it.
>>
>>382128854
>Halo 5 has the greatest multiplayer of the series.
Then why is it so dull?
>>
>>382118015
It has always been babby's first shooter so there is no lasting fanbase.
>>
>>382120992
Is there a video but for Halo 3?
>>
>>382137174
Double jump would have actually been a nice addition, though.
>>
File: marathon_20.png (50KB, 570x296px) Image search: [Google]
marathon_20.png
50KB, 570x296px
Don't give up hope, people. Activision was forced to confirm Marathon 2020.
>>
It's just because the Xbox is under performing. The people who just buy whatever console wins the branding war have jumped to Sony, and I'm betting they were the same people who made Halo so popular in the days of the 360.
>>
>>382140367
Bungie can't make good games anymore, all those guys left a long time ago.
>>
>>382140456
Jason Jones is still there.
>>
>>382132925
I don't know about splitscreen but regular Halo: Reach runs just as good if not better than Reach on 360.
It ran worse when it first came out but they patched it after a few weeks.

https://youtu.be/KAUL1iXw210
>>
So at the end, the Halo killer came, and it's name is Call of Duty. Sad!
>>
>>382140613
He sucks Activision cock now so it doesn't matter, funny how he went from sucking Apple dick to Microsoft dick to the current receiver. I wonder if EA is next.
>>
>>382140613
And he made Destiny and now Destiny 2, without the guys responsible for Halo 1-3 there stop Bungie from adding bullshit ideas to their games, a Marathon reboot would be shit.
>>
>>382141082
"Halo Reach, the best single player campaign ever"
I'm having a hard time watching this.
>>
>>382141470
The first mission in that game was twice as long as it should of been.
>>
>>382118015

Just passing by and don't feel like sifting through the thread but I think a good summary beyond just "343" is that Halo has been declining in popularity since CoD4 back in 2007

I remember Halo was one of the biggest things at the time, I personally enjoyed the first 3 games and they hold up pretty well in my opinion.

But then almost overnight this random installment in a kind of popular but not super popular series was floating around everywhere (modern warfare) and it just kept growing from there, eventually overshadowing Halo and then Bungie stops developing and so on etc.

I think MW1 did so well because it was a post 9/11/Iraq/Middle East America in 2007, it wasn't all you saw on the news but WWII was old hat as far as game settings, seeing a "modern" setting like that was neat at the time.

Don't really like CoD myself but that's my two cents on why Halo has died out
>>
>>382138550
So tell me what competitive fps do you play that doesn't allow for sprinting?
>>
>>382140367
Even if what you're saying is true (and I don't think it is). Marathon 4 just couldn't work with nuBungie. They'd remove everything people loved about the original games. The terminals would be replaced with cutscenes. The vague bits of lore wouldn't be vague anymore, it'd be shoved in your face. The gunplay would probably be okay but the puzzling environments would be gone or heavily simplified
>>
>>382118015

Halo was always destined to "fail" as 75% of it's player base at its peak popularity were passive casuals. I honestly think Halo is in good shape. Casuals have been stripped away. Halo 5 multiplayer was the best/most competitive in franchise history. The only thing they truly fucked up was the campaign.

If they really wanted to make it popular again all they have to do is a simultaneous Xbone/PC release for Halo 6, but I hope they don't because KB/M would ruin the nature of the game. Halo is good because it's the highest skill cap console shooter. It would not be the highest skill cap PC shooter.
>>
>>382141659
CS:GO, the most popular video game in existence
Overwatch
>>
>>382141556
Agreed, I also felt it was too big and empty for a first mission too.
>>
It's incredible how casual/ignorant /v/ is when it comes to talking about Halo gameplay. If you think sprinting ruins the gameplay of Halo, you are probably trash at the game and don't understand the meta. You are also shit if you say Halo is "babby's first shooter" or anything along those lines.
>>
Reach is the reason Halo died.
>slower paced than the already slowed down Halo 3 for several reasons
>ridiculously long kill times
>bloom slowed the game to a crawl
>armour lock stops the game completely just to prolong an inevitble death, only fun being breaking vehicles
>jet pack throws the concept of map control out the window provided you aren't a retard flying in the middle of the map for no reason
>sprint is a get out of jail free card that negates a lot of the benefits of good positioning, lowering skill gap
>maps had to be supersized to accomodate sprint, so it adds absolutely nothing to gameplay except boring stretches of running
>armour abilities like evade could have made awsome map pickups to fight over and encourage map movement but instead get put into loadouts which remove balance from the game, turning Halo into another generic modern day shooter
>strafing has too much of a delay, making fights much less skill based and more "who shot first", as you have much less opportunity to out-play opponents
>maps were almost all shit (partially caused by accomodating sprint) and even the "good" ones would be average/low by the previous games standards
>sprint double melee crutch
>skill gap has been shrunk exponentially from previous titles, meaning that there isn't as much room to improve, and therefore less reason to want to keep playing and get better
>lack of proper ranking system meant that not only teams were clusterfucks with good players bored destroying noob teams, or getting stuck with a team of morons, but there was very little drive to keep playing the game, as it wasn't even fun to play in the first place
>vehicles were made of glass and could easily taken down by DMR's, making them deathtraps rather than important tools for victory
>many of these issues were fixed in certain playlists but came too late and everyone had abandoned ship
>return of the sick magnum and cool grenade launcher and forge improvements etc weren't enough
halo 4 was worse
>>
>>382142384
Explain how sprint does improve Halo's gameplay.
>>
>>382128854
Halo 5 is far to visceral for its own good. its intense, sure but it feels like a coinflip a lot of the time weather or not my ground pound is going to kill some one or if its going to wiff clean an i'll eat one in return and just die. this game still has no answer to a lot of the modern shooter bullshit they tacked on.

Also the maps are fucking boring and e-sports
>>
>>382142384
you're a retard. sprint negates good positioning with the press of a button, and any speed benefit is pointless because they made the maps fucking gigantic to accomodate. it shrinks the skill gap while adding nothing to gameplay you halo 4 baby. leave the discussion to the people who know how to play Halo
>>
>>382142425
This
>>
>>382141987
>game from 1999 doesn't have sprinting
Shocking. That's your only real example anyway

And lets say you're right, it still fails prove to see how sprinting is intrinsically a bad thing in any FPS but yet only Halo gets the blame
>>
>>382142463
It gives you more options. Allows you to reach crucial spots more quickly but also puts you at a disadvantage, forcing you to understand when to sprint and when to not sprint. Also allows for spartan charges which shitters will say ruins the game because they don't know how to counter. Sprinting would ruin a Halo game if it was just slapped on. Like you couldn't add sprinting to Halo 3, that would be shit. But Halo 5 is designed with it in mind and implements it well. Tell me why you think sprinting ruins the game, other than "it's like cod!". I get the impression most people that hate the sprinting have never even played Halo 5, or only played it for a little bit and weren't used to it, therefore, it's bad.
>>
>>382140456
Not really, most of the important people are still there. Especially when it comes to the actual gameplay, most of the people who have left are artists or writers.
>>
>>382142650

I'm literally ranked in the top 1000 players Halo 5. Don't lecture me shitter. Halo 4 is shit btw. 5 is infinitely better.
>>
>>382143072
> sprint abuser defending sprint
And?
>>
>>382142650
>sprint negates good positioning

Rainbow Six Siege says you're full of shit. By that logic Overwatch is the best shooter of this decade because you can't sprint.
>>
>>382142425
i reached the post limit but i should also add that if you disagree with this and consider these concepts to be good then you are either a Reach/4/5 baby or a retard. the fanbase doesn't know what they like. the same people who were all like "WOW HOLY SHIT THEY HABE LOADUTS AND JETPUCKS" were the same people who quit the game 3 months in to play CoD instead. Halo 3 did a lot of things wrong but even it managed to keep a strong population with the rise of CoD. I have no doubt that Halo would have died either way but Bungie sped up that death 10 fold with this steaming pile of shit. do yourselves a favor and play Halo Online eldewrito and Halo 2 Project cartographer FREE to play Halo games with good maps, fast paced gameplay, and most importantly, a higher skill gap in a game in which a good player can kill a lesser skilled opponenet despite being down multiple shots
>>
>>382143191

>sprint abuser

Pffffthahah. What exactly is that? Abusing sprint gets your ass killed in Halo 5. You sound like someone that doesn't actually play the game, or if you do, is bad at it.
>>
File: sangheili booty warrior.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sangheili booty warrior.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Halo needs to go on PC and cater to those sensibilities to revive. Console fps is dead. Remove sprint, add dodge roll (double tap direction like in Unreal 2k4), shift the tone from Mass Effect to more down-to-earth military scifi. Design the levels around gameplay, not cinematic set-pieces, even if they are welcome to some extend.
>>
>>382143405
Every Microsoft first party game going forward is an Xbone/PC crossplay game now.
>>
>>382143337

5 is nothing like 4 or Reach though. 4 and Reach are both garbage. A lot of people have never played 5 because 1.) Xbone (dead console) exclusive and 2.) Reach/4 drove everyone away.

Seriously if you liked 2 and 3, 5 is the true successor (other than the abysmal campaign).
>>
>>382143563
>Windows 10
>PC
>>
>>382143405
> Console FPS is dead
> Meanwhile Activision and Bungie are swimming in cash thanks to Destiny
>>
>>382143208
did you get dropped as a child? it doesn't work in halo because of long kill times retard. in modern fps where you die quickly its fine. it works in CoD, not in Halo
>>
>>382142965
I may not have played it but I read some pretty good memes about halo5 that i base my opinion on
#nobungienobuy #notmyhalo
>>
>>382143649
People actually play Destiny? I thought the game was dead as fuck.
>>
>>382142903
Because halo is the only game where it takes more than half a second to kill someone. Even in Cod you can't sprint out of a bad situation becaude you will die in a millisecond. In Halo you have plenty of time to run the fuck away because you can tank damage.
>>
>>382143758
You thought wrong.
>>
File: 20170628_134432.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_134432.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Its just become niche which is a good thing.

you can tell they knew it wouldn't sell nearly as many copies as the old games when you look at the graphics (not even nearly AAA quality but still acceptable)

halo 4 was pretty bad multiplayer wise while the single player was still decent.

Halo 5 had garbage single player but some of the best multiplayer the series has seen

it selling less copies doesnt even matter when it has made more money than other halo game ever made thanks to microtransactions, meaning halo will still keep getting games

either way ive been with this series since the fucking beginning and there isnt another fps that captures the feeling halo has to it
>>
>>382118015
ODST was the last great experience. Maybe not a great campaign, but Halo 3 MP/Firefight/Forge made it good. Halo would have a permanent community if MS just ported Halo 3 to Windows already
>>
>>382143758
Couldn't be more wrong, even at its lowest point ever playerbase wise it still has hundreds of thousands of active players.
>>
>>382143032
Yet somehow there was a massive quality drop in their games after Halo 3. Max Hoberman, left towards Halo 3's release, Hardy LeBel left after Halo 2, Jaime Griesemer wasn't really doing anything after Halo 3, Frank O'Connor left right at the start of Reach, Joseph Staten wasn't even really involved with Reach, Marcus Lehto (the Art Director of Halo 1-3) left after Reach, still wondering how he became project lead for that game. Marcus even stated that Bungie is different now. Even Michael Salvatori left.
>>
>>382125650

Reach was the final meal. Something to finish on that was pretty good for some and not the taste of others

343 came with Nipple Clamps and a Car Battery and gave us Halo 4
>>
>>382143853
>>382144020

But the game was badly received, DLC up the ass and the it's just mediocre grind after finishing the main story?

Why do people play it?
>>
>>382143925
This
>>
>>382144201
Outstanding core gameplay can carry you pretty far.
>>
>>382144201
I think either the raids or gunplay. Other than that, no idea.
>>
>>382125650
Reach was the bullet wound, Halo 4 was the shot to the head.
>>
>>382144068
>Even Michael Salvatori left
No he didn't.
>>
>>382143925
>halo 4 single player
>decent
No. Pretty much everyone agreed it was tumblr fan fiction tier, and spat upon the original trilogy.
>>
File: 1473580840.jpg (47KB, 770x415px) Image search: [Google]
1473580840.jpg
47KB, 770x415px
>>>/vg/181051438
>>
>>382144201
Destiny got a grand total of 4 DLCs over the course of three years, is that really DLC up the ass?
>>
>>382143685
>>382143823
Every halo has had higher ttk, but its not nearly as high as you claim. you could drop behind cover quickly before your shield dropped for bad positioning. Your ability to drop a grenade on them hiding hasn't changed, and running out in the open will still get you killed regardless of sprinting. Shield recovery time has been increased even so you're left without shields even longer.

Why am I even arguing with you still? You clearly didn't play a significant amount of time in Halo5 and are judging it based on your notions of how CSGO would handle it tempered with how you think you remember halo being like.
>>
>>382144068
Forgot to mention here>>382144068, even Paul Bertone left before Destiny was finished.
>>
File: triplebxr.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
triplebxr.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>382144419
>it was FUN though anon
>FUN

however the one thing 343 will never be forgiven for is muh elites being unplayable.

Nothing was better than the normie fucks talking shit and then raping them for it
>>
>>382144419
Story concept was bad and kinda shit on halo lore but the campaign was still really fun to play minus the cancerous QTE boss.
>>
>>382143072
sprint shouldn't be in halo, it's not a halo game if it has sprint in it, and this is one of the things bungie got wrong in halo reach

Halo's best age was halo 1 for lan, halo 2 for custom games, and halo 3 for general matchmaking.

You guys playing halo 4 and 5 just aren't even playing halo anymore.
>>
>>382144403
>Michael Salvatori
One mistake, but see>>382144753
>>
>>382144419
I had fun with the campaign, it kind of gave me that Metroid Fusion vibe, not being as good as it's predecessors but still fun to play.
>>
>>382122793
ODST is a great spin off
I get people not liking it because its not like the mainline games. Great atmosphere and change from elite supersoldier to a story about the side characters durring the war. Wish we got more side games like this.
Its better than 4 and 5
>>
>>382144841
Don't bundle 4's shit with 5. 5 actually plays a lot like classic halo not that a shitter who didn't play it would actually know
>>
>>382144807
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBv8UVOSG8U
Watch this before the thread dies
>>
>>382145267
Not him but we can post what went wrong with Halo Reach, ODST, and Halo 5's campaign as well if you want to play this game.
>>
File: vidmasterasfuck.png (15KB, 356x333px) Image search: [Google]
vidmasterasfuck.png
15KB, 356x333px
>>382145267
>implying im gonna click some normie fucks youtube video about why i should haet gaem
>>
>>382145267
>30 min

You should try forming your own opinions sometime
>>
>>382144841

>I'll just do the no true scotsman fallacy they won't even notice!

Nice non-argument kiddo. Come back to me when you can actually discuss the gameplay.
>>
>>382145421
No shit. No Halo game is perfect. But 4 is clearly the most flawed (not counting 5, I played the campaign only once so no strong opinions on it)
>>
>>382144587
>running out in the open
this isn't the only aspect of bad positioning. just because you aren't in a clearing surrounded doesn't automatically make it a good choice you have to adapt to the enemies postions and power weapons. in these situations the sprint as a crutch for your mistakes is perfectly plausible. why should i be able to run away when i fuck up in a skill based game? in games like quake you can, but getting away fast is actually heavily skill based. there is no skill in pressing a button and pushing the stick forward. in 1-3 you could get out of bad situations ONLY if you were in a proper postion beforehand, and new how to move around the map, and strongside to avoid headshots. just because it is possible to kill sprint bailers doesn't mean it is a good mechanic
>>
>>382145512
If you watched the video you'd know it only states objective things about the game. Besides, that's a dumb criticism. Even if he did only talk about his opinions, should I not watch something because it's opinionated and I have my own opinions?
Thread posts: 536
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.