[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A reminder that the SAG-AFTRA video game voice acting strike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 49

A reminder that the SAG-AFTRA video game voice acting strike is STILL going on. It's in its 203th day and is the longest strike in the history of the acting union #performancematters
>>
why do voice actors have such high opinions of themselves? Their job is marginally important at best and not even very difficult. For most actors voice acting it's like taking a vacation.
>>
>>376719232
Who fucking cares about them.
Also, it is only in US, another countries do not care about this shit, and games getting localisations in 20+ languages.
>>
>>376719232
>performers received only .03%

good, that's about as much of the experience as they provided.
>some dude shouting CHANGING MAG
clearly worth millions.
>>
>>376719232
That's still 4.5 million just for saying "UAV inbound" in front of a microphone. I can understand high quality performance in a dialogue heavy game deserving more pay, but CoD is a fucking shit example.
>>
>>376719667
But Call of Duty has made $15 billion.
>>
>>376719623
So shitty actors deserve millions of dollars? Or streamers?
>>
>>376719232
>>376719667
Grand Theft Auto would have been a better example, but the voice acting in GTA has always been shit, so they don't deserve anything. I don't know if it's bad direction or what, but GTA voice acting is riddled with intonation errors.
>>
>>376719726
The game made 15 Billion, not the voice acting.

The only lines I can remember from Call of Duty series and I've played all of them on release order, Call of Duty 1" Don't hunch up" Call of Duty 4 "we are leaving" and "Do you smell that"

Everything else was just forgettable, I remember CoD UO having some nice voice acting in that mission where you flying and shutting down enemies but I can't remember a single line.
>>
>>376719992
HOSTILE UAV ABOVE
>>
>Zelda BoTW has voice acting
>it literally makes the game worse

not everything needs voice acting to be enjoyable. There's a ton of games with zero lines of spoken dialog.

Also why the fuck do you think your pay should be proportional to the amount of money the game makes? The fucking designers and developer don't make money on a sliding scale, they get paid a wage just like the fucking voice actors.
>>
>>376719378
They likely decided to be a voice actor in high school, and while they don't actually have significantly more talent than any random bum off the street, they like to think they are of the same calibre as hollywood actors. In reality, there are only like 2-3 quality english voice actors.
>>
>Game production continues like there's no strike on at all

HAHAHA. Troy Baker and Nolan North aren't in on it. I bet they get even more work because of it while those striking morons think they are achieving something.
>>
>>376719378
>and not even very difficult
You clearly have never tried voice acting.
>>
>>376720235
Good voice acting is difficult. The vast majority of video games do not have good voice acting.
>>
>>376720123
Pretty much all the other versions of BotW have better voice acting than the english release, you can blame the hacks at Treehouse for that.
>>
>>376719992
NO RUSSIAN
>>
>>376720298
Or need it. In most games we just need "Good enough".
>>
>>376720335
fuck off dem scum
>>
>>376719378
Almost every time they hire a big name actor to do voice acting, it's shit.
>>
>>376719232
>0.03 of 15 billion
>Thats 450 million
>>
>>376720362
I would actually prefer better voice acting in a lot of games, because people constantly fucking up their deliveries and putting emphasis on the wrong words and syllables really fucking annoys me.
>>
>>376719232
People don't give a shit about voice actors. People don't play any call of duty game for the voice actors, they already have a cushy, well-paying job. They can go fuck themselves.
>>
Quick, release a new Sly game so we can reboot Carmelita's voice, what is this, the fourth time?
>>
I'd like to see how much a fucking codemonkey, the people who actually make the fucking game, makes. They should be the ones striking.
>>
>>376720123
>>376720324
Today's "fun" fact: Breath of the Wild has the same voice director as Mighty No 9!
>>
>>376720324
Wasn't the Latin American dub also done by Treehouse? Because that was easily the best of the dubs.
>>
>>376720123
>it literally makes the game worse
Used to be true. But they've patched it so you can play whatever language you want now.
>>
>>376720123
You can play it with Japanese voices and English subs now. They actually listened to complaints.
>>
>>376720570

That's more voice direction. The VA in all likelihood is in a booth by himself and has to guess the tones to use for the conversation. Bigger productions can have multiple VAs scheduled together, or do a shitload of takes then mix-and-match to create natural sounding dialogue. Lacking that, you get something like Mass Effect Andromeda where 90% of the lines sound like the actor got only one stab at it.
>>
>>376720570
Having "good" voice acting still requires times and money investment, even more so if you're trying to achieve a higher quality product. It's a detriment to large-scale games (like RPGs) because that means the entire script has to be written ahead of time so nothing gets missed when the VAs are brought in. Back in the day, you could put in dialogue and text up to the moment the game launched because you didn't have to worry about setting time aside for dubbing it all.

Voice acting has its place in vidya, but the misconception that EVERY game needs it is what's killing a lot of projects.
>>
>>376721242
I think I could do a better job at voice direction than 99% of the industry. So many times I hear a line delivered in a way that would make sense if it were in a different context, but sounds retarded for the context it's actually in.
>>
I get the feeling some of these actors are the equivalent of writers who do cinematic games because they can't break into movies, and their performance reflects that. The most important thing about voice acting to me isn't objective quality but the personality people bring to roles, I will take shittier voice acting if it's funner to listen to because I'm playing a game at the end of the day not just watching something. Regardless of quality the most memorable voice actors seem to be the ones who really ham it up and are willing to sacrifice being recognizable if it means getting more out of their roles, not people who act like Hollywood actors that tend to star as themselves as much if not more than their characters.
>>
>>376720786
>http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1573995/
Oh well, I guess this explains a lot of things.
>>
>>376719232
I'd take 0.03% of 15 billion
>>
File: 1476217881060.jpg (122KB, 372x445px) Image search: [Google]
1476217881060.jpg
122KB, 372x445px
I completely forgot there was a strike going on and there still aren't any games suffering for it.

It's almost like video game voice actors have much too high of an opinion of themselves when 90 percent of them are shit and another 9 percent are reading scripts written by a 14 year old boy.

But hey, keep striking, maybe we'll find some new talent and Nolan North/Troy Baker/Laura Bailey/Tara Strong won't soak up 50 percent of the market share.
>>
>>376719232
These fuckers didn't make the games. They spoke into a microphone and got paid to do it.

Fucking hate actors. They're so worthless and get paid and treated way more than they're worth. They have no functional skills outside of saying things and they think they deserve the world for it just because of their moron fans who think these people are the actual characters in the movies and games they see.
>>
>>376720561
0.03% is 4.5 million. 0.03 would be 3%

Still more than enough for them, royalties aren't something you should expect when you work for a big company, otherwise clerks in Walmart would be middle class.
>>
>>376719232
>203th
>two hundred and thirth
>>
File: Jon_Irenicus.jpg (30KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
Jon_Irenicus.jpg
30KB, 380x600px
So we should all be putting demos together to replace these hacks right?

Post best voices too
>>
>>376719378
>>376720134
Voice Acting is incredibly important and oftentimes includes MoCap that is more or less "normal" acting.
>>
>>376719232
>Call of Duty

vocaroo.com/i/s0bT63nqflZh

PAY ME A MILLION DOLLARS!
>>
>>376719232
All the strike has done is reduce American jobs since game makers will just source VO from English speaking European countries, plenty of them can do a good American accent, so no one would notice anyway.

Congratulations for hurting your own workforce.
>>
>>376719232
they shouldnt even be hiring these losers. they should just give the job to random people or even homeless people, theyll do much better work. these "professional voice actors" always sound like shit.
>>
>>376724017
>>376724010
>>376723924
>t. 14 year olds studying for AP exams right now
>>
So /v/ is essentially saying people like Bobby kotick deserve billions while the entire voice acting industry deserves pennies.
Go jews, I guess.
>>
>>376719232
>a strike that everyone has forgotten is actually occurring

Kek. Enjoy your jobs being taken by scabs who are just happy to get paid.
>>
>>376724191
Who?
>>
>>376719232

The video game industry doesn't give a rat's ass about the strike when so many non-union VAs are willing to work for chump change.

Any casting director worth their salt could go online right this minute and pull independent VAs who sound just as good as the SAG prima donnas.

SAG rates are something like $600 an hour for one character, with a time-limited work day of six hours.

Non-union VAs will work for whatever the industry wants to pay them.

Tell me who's getting the better deal out of hiring non-union VAs: the video game industry, or SAG?
>>
>>376724191

No, we're saying they are all greedy fuckers. Voice actors do not get brownie points for being better than the Devil.
>>
>>376719232
>i use my voice all day i deserve a cut from the profit

So i guess warehouse workers who move shit all day long deserve a cut from the profit right?
>>
The posters in this thread must be operating with >>>/pol/ tier retardation.

Yes let's all thank our corporate overlords for giving us scraps from their plates!
>>
>>376720526
which is strange because Disney/Pixar hire famous actors to do voice acting all the time, and it's incredibly good
>>
>>376724191
No, the devs deserve the ongoing royalties, not these hacks.
>>
>>376724165
t. Salty American voice actor who can't work anymore because of their guild's hubris.
>>
>>376724380
A game without voice acting is almost always worse than one with voice acting.
>>
>>376724165

Take 3
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0I9GXa0p539
>>
>>376719816
>no Actor
>No Movie
vs
>No voice
>game will use text
>>
>>376724498
A game without programmers/modellers/artists doesn't exist.
>>
>>376724550
Without programmers, yes.
You don't need professional artists to make a game, fag.
>>
>>376724498

It depends on the game.

Hotline Miami would have sucked with voice actors.

If you're making a cinematic MGS clone, then you need VAs.

Cinematic MGS clones suck, though.

It's interesting how the games that are sold on their fun factor don't need VAs, whereas the games that are sold on their movie-style story-telling require them.
>>
>>376724498
Kek

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1qNi2O3Sem4

I can do this all day, because it's just talking. I wonder how much they paid Ice-T to do this.
>>
>>376724726
>It's interesting how the games that are sold on their fun factor don't need VAs
Because they're making garbage that has no meaning and no worth.
>>376724738
We aren't talking about Ice-T, we're talking about Jennifer Hale.
>>
The industry haven't seen good voice acting since the Legacy of Kain series.

YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME OF CONSCIENCE?
>>
>>376724819
>Because they're making garbage that has no meaning and no worth.
Kek

>We aren't talking about Ice-T, we're talking about Jennifer Hale.
Neat, but still
>>
>>376724684
You don't need professional unionised VAs to make a game either, fag.
>>
>it's a "/v/ supports giant corporations because only liberals support hard-working people" episode

>voice actors
>hard-working
Yes, they actually are. And their demands are reasonable.
>>
>>376725028
Right and in my ideal system artists, VA's, etc. would be paid ongoing royalties just below devs/programmers.
>>
Did you guys know that WalMart generated 482 billion dollars in revenue last year, yet their janitors only recieved .000000000000000000000001% of that? Absolutely fucking disgusting. If I were a janitor, I would rise up and protest!

Seriously that fucking statistic is beyond retarded and voice """actors""" can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>376725183
The developers deserve royalties over the VAs. Fuck off.
>>
>>376724819
>garbage with no meaning and no worth
Like professional voice acting? The fucking Imperial guard from Oblivion has received more attention from gaming communities than her collective work, most people don't give a damn when professional voice acting is missing and they probably can't even recognize the same actor between roles in most cases to even appreciate their work. Nobody would bat an eye if all of these people disappeared, people would only notice if a series had a recurring character that changed their voice actor.
>>
>>376725183
>it's a "guy supports giant wealthy unions because only hard-working people benefit from unionization" episode
>>
>>376725196
This is some deep shit man.
I need to get into carpentry.
>>
>agree to work in a bar for 3 hours for $60
>very busy. bar rakes in $60,000 in that time frame
>Waaaah i only made 0.1% of what the bar earned without taking on any risk

You get paid for what you agree to work for.

Celebrity voice actors get too much money spent on them aswell and are rarely worth the money spent on them. Martin sheen in mass effect is the only exception i can think of.
>>
>>376725229
You didn't say that initially, you only mentioned VAs
>>
>>376725329
>normies who have no taste won't care
>therefore let's get rid of it
If normies and people with no taste controlled everything we'd only watch Avengers and listen to Adele you moron.
>>376725372
The VA's are asking for ongoing royalties, that's their strike.
>>
>>376719232
>#performance matters
Guess it really doesn't. I do genuinely feel bad for the actors that didn't want to strike, but had to due to Unionization. They just permanently burned every bridge going forward and in the past.
>>
>>376724372
There is a world of difference between the directors from movies and the directors from games trying to ape hollywood
>>
>>376725430
Except a game's continued sales have fuck-all to do with voice acting and everything to do with the quality of the developers' efforts. They're the ONLY ones who should get royalties but they're too busy WORKING to organize, since without them there would be NO GAME.

VA is a service. You get paid for that service and then fuck off.
>>
>>376719667
15 000 000 000 * 0.03 is 450 million

is my math wrong?
>>
>>376719232
Former actor. Good. Actors are pretentious.
>>
Ban voice acting in games, keep everything text.
That how they had it in old RPGs and thus could make 10+ unique replies for most NPCs with tons of branching plots and hidden content.
>>
>>376725756
This. People who argue that voice acting only improves games are retarded, the decision to implement MC voice acting crippled FO4.
>>
>>376725581
Do actors in movies not get royalties, fag?
>>376725756
>>376725960
Text has no fucking emotion or anything in a game context. You're arguing the raw text of BG is better than the voices in Pillars or Wasteland 2? Fuck off.
>>
>>376725664
Yes, we're talking about 0.03% of 15 billion, not how much is 15,000,000,000 multiplied by 0.03.
>>
>>376723909
And the good ones that do mo-cap get paid substantially more. Good voice actors are far from underpaid, and they don't deserve royalties more than the programmers, animators, modelers, writers, marketers, etc.
>>
>>376719816
One, voice actors are rarely the same caliber as screen or stage actors, and their contribution to the end product is much less significant than a lead actor's contribution to a film or play.
>>
>>376725756
>That how they had it in old RPGs and thus could make 10+ unique replies for most NPCs with tons of branching plots and hidden content.

The only thing stopping that is consumers.
>>
>>376725664
Yes, you converted to a decimal thinking it was 3% but it's actually .03% so to convert it to decimal it would be .0003.
>>
>>376726108
sub par voice acting fucks immersion far more than not hearing a voice does and it costs more and takes a lot more time to do. great voice acting can really lift agame though.
>>
>>376726181
There's no excuse for not paying royalties other than "we can save shekels doing this"
>>376726332
Nothing in videogames is up to par with the best of theatre, music, or art you idiot.
>>
>>376725430
It's not just normalfags, if anything normalfags would be the only ones to care because they fawn over their "celebrity" actors and follow them on social media. Voice actors are simply easily replaceable, if you need someone to play a specific role all you need is the voice, you don't need the whole person, and unless it's someone that uses the same damn voice in every game no one will notice if it's the same person in two different roles unless you point it out. Some of the best game acting, including Jennifer Hale, are people that aren't exclusive videogame voice actors but actors from other fields, and those people aren't desperate like the videogame exclusive voice actors shitting things up right now trying to fawn as celebrities.
>>
>>376726108
Actors get royalties because they sell movie tickets. The only reason people are interested in the mummy reboot is because Tom Cruise is the lead, nobody cares when you tell them that Nolan North or Jennifer Hale are in a video game.

And if you're unable to get an emotional response from game text or books you're just a mouthbreather.
>>
>>376719232
>strike still going on
>video games continue to be released
>life keeps rolling on
>almost as if these voice actors didn't matter at all
Really gets those neurons firing.
>>
>>376726410
We aren't talking about sub-par voice acting idiot.
>>376726426
Jennifer Hale is part of the strike you idiot. She clearly cares.
>>
>>376725183
Code monkey deserves the royalties better than voice actor. Without code monkey, there's no game for the highschool dropout to pretend to act in.
>>
>>376726476
If Troy Baker is in the lead role then that definitely plays a part in a successful game.
>And if you're unable to get an emotional response from game text or books you're just a mouthbreather.
A book is different from a game. A book is implicitly a story that you go through at your leisure. A game is something where you're tediously clicking through menus of text that go on far too long.
>>
>>376719232
I would care more about this if it wasn't for the fact that the US VA industry keeps reusing the same actors over and over again.
>Troy Baker
>Nolan North
>Johnny Young Bosch
>Laura Bailey
>Ali Hillis
I'm not saying any of these actors are bad (well, maybe JYB because he literally has one voice) but it would be cool if the talent pool wasn't so small.
>>
>>376725346
He was pretty execellent in those games
>>
>>376726108
Film actors are part of the product
Voice actors in games provide a contracted service to that game.

What is so hard for you to understand about this?
>>
>>376726670
I like what Jeff Gerstmann said: They use Troy Baker and Nolan North a lot because the gruff or manly white male is the predominant role in videogames.
>>
File: 026.png (305KB, 1120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
026.png
305KB, 1120x1600px
>Only play nip games
>Only use nip voice actors
Nice strike
>>
>>376719232
4.5 million for one time performances, lets say there have been 25 voice actors total over the years.
180,000 per person, for a one time performance that would likely be a few months of work.

Yeah fuck right off, people worth 3 times as hard for 1/3rd the amount of pay.
>>
>>376726792
Sorry what the fuck is the difference? How aren't voice actors part of the product?
Are you 18?
>>
>>376725292
>>376726546

All voice actors agree that coders deserve bonuses too. Are you stupid? The whole reason publishers are denying the VA union's demands is that it would embolden coders/developers to ask for (well-deserved) bonuses too.

Voice actors and developers are on the same side of the fight, against greedy publishers.
>>
How come jap VAs can get away with anything?
Or is it just degenerate weeaboos?
>>
File: kiddo.png (608KB, 1813x1022px) Image search: [Google]
kiddo.png
608KB, 1813x1022px
>>376726892
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLW7AN8PJw4

Watch this on repeat until you understand.
>>
>>376726501
You don't need to assume I don't know because I don't assume they care. Many of these people aren't striking because of a genuine care of the industry but because they want to get ahead in life and their careers. She's voice acted for this long accepting role after role and suddenly now has these problems people are voicing? If she really needed additional money because she can't be sure a role is safe, or increased safety measures and the like to make sure you're not obligated to do something you can't in a limited amount of time, she would have left the industry long ago, otherwise she is an absolute fool.
>>
The only consolation is that the retards here are just contrarians who want to support CEOs over people.

Good thing you basement losers aren't the majority!
>>
>>376726892
Kys yourself Troy.
>>
>>376727056
see
>>376725336
Your shitty point has already been BTFO
>>
>>376727035
B&K is terrible, fuck off kid.
>>376727041
How the fuck do you know "the real reason?"
>>
How much voice work went for newer beth games per actor
Just take a wild wild guess and then tell them they don't deserve royalties
>>
>People here probably think SImon Templeman doesn't deserve more money

Fuck you guys, then.
>>
>>376727162
Kek
>>
>>376727159
>It's a "guy supports even bigger corporations because trickle down right?" episode
Your shitty point has already been BTFO
>>
>>376727012
No they can't. If you're a popular VA and you get caught making a porn movie or having sex, you'll get attacked by the otaku fanbase. If Laura Bailey made a porn movie, nothing would really happen to her except for maybe a few game devs blacklisting her.
>>
Meanwhile C list and literal newgrounds VA's are getting roles, and with good voice direction, getting recognition
>>
>>376727056
CEOs are people too, anon. Corporations are made up of people.
>>
So glad I only play Japanese video games with superior professional Japanese voice actors
>>
>>376719816
No faggot, the people that took a shit ton of time to make the game are deserving of it. Sometimes developers are dedicated as fuck such as Game Freak back when they were making the first Pokemon games. They worked longass hours and I believe they even slept in the same office they were making the game in

All voice actors do is scream into a mic or screech utter cancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bozvLUp0f1o
>>
>>376727012
Nip VAs are a whole different breed. They are graded and paid according to their ranking.

Also unlike NA voice actors they are actual celebrities. They do radio shows, sing and sell CD's, etc. People like Sugita can sell a game for being in it.

NA voice actors are a pile of LITERALLY WHO's. They should diversify and make a name for themselves but instead they scream and demand more shit for doing less work.
>>
>>376727249
>bigger than Unions

Oh, boy.
This one's already checked out for the day.
>>
>>376727056
Unless that CEO is Randy lol
Ironically he was a good VA as Crazy Earl
>>
>>376727295
>>376727357
>>>/pol/
>>
>>376727056
How is that a consolation? You get nothing from that, unless you mean to laugh at them, but that's not something you needed the strike to do.

You keep thinking you're Che Guevara rebelling against the mega corporations because you support literally fucking whos getting royalties for nothing and thus making game budgets even more inflated guaranteeing the only successful games are Call of Duty and the like, and niche games becoming extinct from big publishers because they don't make enough anymore.

You're truly the voice of the people, and not about monetary value over all other things.
>>
>>376727340
Troy Baker is the closest thing America has to a JP seiyuu.
>>
0.03% would still amount to 450 million dollars for games with very little acting going on. The fuck is up with these guys?
>>
>>376726794
Well to be fair

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1d5eu4vmDYF
>>
>>376727258
>If you're a popular VA and you get caught making a porn movie or having sex, you'll get attacked by the otaku fanbase
Are you retarded? You would be hard pressed to find a VA who hasnt done eroge work or a boyfriend.

Chiwa Saito is married, Daiske Ono dates all the time.

The only time thats been true is when it was found out Aya Hirano was having gangbangs and orgies.
>>
>>376726174
>>376726405
oh thx familias
>>
This is just to make it seem like they have teeth before the big TV/Film contract. As soon as that's signed the strike will be called off.
>>
unions are gangsters trying to bully actually useful people for gibmedats

why does /v/ support them?
>>
>>376727429
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: 1494536461715.jpg (29KB, 620x645px) Image search: [Google]
1494536461715.jpg
29KB, 620x645px
fuck voice actors
programmers, artists, and animators work so much harder than fucking voice "actors"
>>
File: 1494305205502.png (976KB, 848x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494305205502.png
976KB, 848x1080px
i didn't even notice
>implying there are any good games coming out anyway

Unions are such bullies.
>WAH GIB ME DATS OR ALL MY SHILLS ARE GONNA STRIKE
and Then they complain when people do their piss easy jobs
>FUCKING SCAB NOBODY CROSSES THE PICKET LINE GIBS ME DATTTTTT
>>
I like it if only because it messes with AAAs.
>>
>>376719232
>strike is still going on
It is? Haven't noticed
>>
>"People who contribute to a game want more in return?! Well I don't know the details, but I know 100% that they're entitled!!"

>"I also constantly shit on publishers for being greedy with stuff like DLC, Season Passes, etc. Hmm, wow it's almost like publishers might actually be greedy dicks sometimes!"
>>
>>376727446
And Troy Baker went out and did other shit than voicing vidya, You cant find a single nip VA who only voices videogames.

Hell videogame voiceacting is seen as gravy work to them because its stupidly easy to do in comparison to anime. They sit in a room and read off a script as opposed to having to do all sorts of scene direction and retakes with a sound director.
>>
>>376720827
>best dub
The fucking delusion.
No wonder this fucking shithole supported Automata's newgrounds-tier english dub
>>
>>376727573
>The only time thats been true is when it was found out Aya Hirano was having gangbangs and orgies.
And even that only the faggot bassist who didn't get some was salty.
>>
>>376727258
I'm referring to the deification of nippon VAs.
>>
>>376727258
dude that shit didn't work when sasha grey tried to shed her pornstar image and become a z list celeb. if a voice actress suddenly decided to stop voicing anime and have sex on camera, nobody is gonna want to hire her again except for maybe like hentai. also, so many voice actors voice for shitty hentai for extra cash. i remember hearing vash's voice actor in this one hentai on xvideos and it made me laugh because he was still doing his fucking vash voice. the english dub of mezzo forte had michelle ruff and the woman who voiced ed from cowboy bebop (although she is replaced by someone else for the rape scene.) they can get away with hentai but not full blown mainstream porn.
>>
>video game voice actors get paid as much as A list Hollywood actors + royalties
>A list actors realize video game voice acting is easier than their actual job
>A list Hollywood actors now flood the video game voice acting scene
>developers now must choose between hiring Robert DeNiro or Troy Baker
>literally who voice actors no longer able to find work
>>
>>376724191
Bobby Kotick took a company that was dead in the water due to consecutive retard ceos and strung the banks along long enough to turn it into a billion dollar empirw.
>>
>be a developer on the west coast
>put in 60 hour weeks for 6 months
>get paid 100k a year, hardly enough to have a house on the west coast
>some jabronis that put in 50 hours of acting time think they deserve more than 5 million dollars together, not even accounting for the fact that they Have other projects to work on at the same time

Fuck off
>>
>>376724191
Who is this /v/ guy that i hear so much about? I've never met him.
>>
>>376725229
Yes let's inflate the cost of game making even more
>>
File: daffy.jpg (48KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
48KB, 500x451px
>there are people in this thread who think voice acting is a cushy well-paying job and that these VAs are complaining about not getting paid enough while sitting atop their thrones of money

why do you people argue about things that you know nothing about
>>
>>376728089
Do you know where you are? Not just /v/ or 4chan, but the internet in general is built or arguing about stuff with little to no knowledge.
>>
>>376727573
>Are you retarded?
Opinion discarded.
>>
>Spent 15 minutes grunting into a mic
>Expects to be paid more than someone who worked 2 years doing overtime with no extra pay.

Unless you're someone like Mark Hamill doing the fucking Joker you can fuck right off, because "angry US sergeant" and "angry Russian/Korean/Chinese" aren't exactly roles only you can fill.
>>
File: botw.jpg (821KB, 960x576px) Image search: [Google]
botw.jpg
821KB, 960x576px
>>376727792
But it's true faggot. Latin America is probably the best dub, if not one of the best, in BotW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA4RkgzBDFw
>>
File: 1494030788716.jpg (122KB, 1278x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1494030788716.jpg
122KB, 1278x1181px
>>376728089
>wah pay me millions of dollars to poorly dub a japshit game with my kawaii 40 year old trying to be japanese teenager voice
>>
>>376728089
No one cares they demand dumb shit like more breaks.
People laugh when they demand fucking royalties.
>>
"DON'T RUN AWAY FROM LIVING, THAT'S AN ORDER"
>>
File: 242423543253.png (949KB, 1280x1171px) Image search: [Google]
242423543253.png
949KB, 1280x1171px
>spend years working in epic crunch mode doing programming/art/music/levels for a game
>get paid peanuts
>0 royalties
>>
>>376727772
People that contributed did get paid. That's called having a job. You aren't entitled to royalties.
What is your current job? Whatever the fuck it is, you make way less than your company generates
>>
>>376725560
Surely they have the budgets to hire directors of that caliber. Are they too inept to realize the value of a good director?
>>
>>376728089
They're complaining that theyre not sitting on thrones of money. Thousands of people work on those games, why do they think they deserve more than they do?
>>
I'm against both faggot actors and big business. But im gonna side with the faggots just so the big business faggots that are ruining my games gets a little money taken from the.m
>>
>>376719232
Why should the success of the game effect what they've already been paid? They surely signed a contract with how much they were getting for the job and the job is over and they got their money.

They could negotiate for more with the next game.
>>
The only western VA that is worth a shit is Nolan North.
>>
File: file.png (48KB, 1118x388px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
48KB, 1118x388px
>>376728089
$400 for the first hour then $200 for every other hour that session. God they get literally minimum wage.

>inb4 their jobs aren't stable!
That's what you get for working a flexible job.
>>
File: 1489832249990.gif (77KB, 128x150px) Image search: [Google]
1489832249990.gif
77KB, 128x150px
>>376719232
>0.03% of 15billion is still 450million dollardydoos
Don't pretend like they're begging in the streets for another bowel of soup.
>>
>>376728545
because there is the word actor in their profession name they have a self-inflated ego
>>
File: Beavis-1.png (129KB, 534x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Beavis-1.png
129KB, 534x1000px
>>376728576
>bowel
>>
>>376719232
I work 60 hours a week for a company that earned $590,000,000 million in profits last year. I earned about 0.0001% compared to that in pay. Can I go on strike?
>>
>>376728549
>strike is successful
>big publishers start making less money
>begin even more cancerous business practices to fuck you over and make up the difference

you showed them, pal!
>>
>>376728661
>begging in the streets for another bowel of soup
One letter mistake makes that even funnier.
>>
>>376719232
>only 450 million

woooooooow
>>
>>376728089
Social media is not built for worthwhile discussion because all of it (including this website) is built to be an echo chamber. And if it's not an echo chamber, you are being shouted down into oblivion but the popular and dominant narrative. Also, people just love to silence discussion with buzzwords and memes, there is no point at all in trying to talk sense to random assholes on the internet because most likely they are already convinced that they are right and you are 100% wrong.
>>
>>376719232
>$450m to voice actors across 17 games
>Average budget of ~$26m per game
Yeah, VAs don't get paid at all, boo hoo.
I don't know a whole lot about this strike, but that infographic does the exact opposite of getting me to feel sympathy of any sort. I bet it's just hacks like JYB with zero fucking range throwing a tantrum that they can't make the same money that actual stage actors do.
>>
File: 1485898119771.png (19KB, 500x590px) Image search: [Google]
1485898119771.png
19KB, 500x590px
>>376728930
nice intellectual post you sure showed all these intellectual inferior people who disagree with that poster and you. Everyone who disagrees with me is a puppet drone only free thinking individuals agree with me you and that poster.
>>
File: 1479389012913.jpg (25KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1479389012913.jpg
25KB, 719x719px
>>376728573
>$200 per hour
If they're not making enough money they should find a stable job.
>>
>>376719232
I wonder how much the programmers received
>>
>>376727856
Are you being ironical dude?
Who the fuck has ever glorified the Seiyuu industry ever?
>>
>>376729007
0.03% of $15 billion is $4.5 million
>>
>>376728549
>video games now $80 each
Thanks for playing.
>>
>>376729156
Otakus are the only reason the anime industry and seiyuus are still working.
>>
File: 1443059821697.png (59KB, 362x278px) Image search: [Google]
1443059821697.png
59KB, 362x278px
>>376729173
really, bud?
run the numbers for me, i can't open calculator right now
>>
>>376719816
Streamers don't deserve the money they make, they earn it. Lrn 2 capitalism bro.
>>
Two hundred and thirth
>>
>>376728930
>literally who "Actors" demanding royalties for an insignificant role in game creation
>Everyone can see this is stupid bullshit, many of who want them to go away so games stop trying to be cinematic garbage.
>No good arguments to defend VAs with
>Cry about how your being shouted down in an echo chamber

Fuck off SAG-AFTRA.
You fucked up bad by trying to use royalties as a bargining chip
>>
File: 1493934498436.png (644KB, 1284x893px) Image search: [Google]
1493934498436.png
644KB, 1284x893px
>>376729275
Really, bud.

>15,000,000,000 * 0.0003
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=15+billion+*+0.03%25
>>
>>376728186
<SARCASM>
You're right, mexican VA is truly the best of them all, no stifness at all guys!
</SARCASM>
>>
>>376729275
100% = 1
10% = 0.1
1% = 0.01
0.1% = 0.001
0.01% = 0.0001

0.01% x 3 = 0.03% = 0.0003

15,000,000,000 x 0.0003 = 15,000,000,000 x 0.003% = 4,500,000

Basically people are glancing over the percent mark, and assuming it's a fraction, the infographic is stupid, it also only sources "The Wall Street Journal" with no actual direct source.
>>
>>376729518
Dude I don't even give a shit about SAG-AFTRA but the topic has nuance and my point was that the internet isn't for nuance. You're acting like a huge cunt for no reason at all.
>inb4 where do you think you are
>>
>>376719232
And the last 6 months have been terrific for games.
>>
>>376729275
>i can't open calculator right now
I can tell.
>>
File: 1484386547260.png (720KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
1484386547260.png
720KB, 500x665px
>>376728573
let's say your work 40 hours /month will be something like 8800$/month, 88000/year after taxes something like 45000-50000$. i think that's good money for living.
>>
>>376729238
Well duh, they are the their main public after all.
>>
>>376719232
>203th day
Oh yeah they're so bad they can go SEVEN MONTHS without working
this is asinine
>>
>>376730003
not in California, which is where you basically have to live if you want to get regular work.
>>
>>376730003
Yeah, the only real difficulty with the job is it's unstable nature, but you sign on to that risk when you go for it.

It's like getting a job as a janitor then going on strike because you have to deal with feces occasionally.
>>
>>376727056
Go away, Hayter.
>>
>>376729697
The only place this is true is Twitter because of character limits.
No one gives enough of a shit about the VAs or their strike to have an in depth discussion. It was poisoned the second they had the gal to demand royalties.
Most think that is insanely stupid and even their defenders are just in it to spite publishers.
>>
>>376727056
No, I just want to support the people who actually make the games.
>>
>>376719232
0.03% sounds like a fair figure for their contribution
>>
>>376730141
more than enough for LA. you just can't live in the middle of SF
>>
>>376726108
That's why people don't read novels, OH WAIT
>>
>>376720786
Yeah this helps to explain why it was so shit.
>>
File: 1493455583464.png (186KB, 540x375px) Image search: [Google]
1493455583464.png
186KB, 540x375px
As much as voice acting can help a game I wont really mourn it if its gone.

80% of the time its just needless filesize bloat and limits the storytelling. Plus its more fun to imagine what the characters sound like.
>>
>>376730003
California has 100k a year as low wage anon.
>>
name one game with a talented voice actor.
0.03% is too much, especially when the real talent: programmers get fuck all.
>>
>>376731156

Specifically anything below $150,000 is below the poverty line in San Francisco
>>
>>376731172
Max Payne, thats about it
>>
>>376719232
>the performers
Makes it sound like a fucking play. Took me a while to understand what they even meant. What retards, it's like they're trying to make themselves look ridiculous.
>>
File: 1494139368059.png (486KB, 725x725px) Image search: [Google]
1494139368059.png
486KB, 725x725px
Get this I just read this: These video game companies actually offered pretty much what the SAG was demanding in terms of money but they rejected it because their payment didn't have the name they wanted.
>>
>>376727772
You got the basics, but did you ever stop to ask why? Games are getting more an more expensive to create, and those hallmarks of greed you bring up are the response to the inflated cost.

Further bloating the cost to make games will only hurt us with the addition of more of these practices. "The man" isn't the one being hurt by it. We are.
>>
>>376731156
>>376731284
What a load of shit
>>
File: 7UoFiUZ.png (242KB, 352x325px) Image search: [Google]
7UoFiUZ.png
242KB, 352x325px
>>376719232
the price for hiring me is 200$

>game earns a billion dollars

WHAT THE FUCK, WHY DIDNT I GET MORE MONEY??????
>>
>>376719232
Are these fucking voice actors seriously implying they contribute so much to a game that they need to be paid more?
If anything programmers and artists need to be paid more. They're the real victims in the game industry.
>>
File: 1493652977337.gif (2MB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1493652977337.gif
2MB, 500x625px
>>376726947
or maybe they would have to give a raise to absolutely everyone and achieve nothing because they will still pump out another underselling subpar game
>>
>>376731549
If you make 100k in California you are eligible for welfare.

Trash workers make 85k a year.
>>
>>376731845
California was a mistake.

Anyway I hope all .03% went to this gentleman
https://youtu.be/yKDHCVJWAww
>>
>the SAG-AFTRA video game voice acting strike is STILL going on

>literally nobody has noticed or cares
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,t.jpg (81KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.jpg
81KB, 800x800px
>>376727303

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You couldn't have given a worse example if you tried. Game Freak are easily the laziest game developers I've ever known. They can put in the absolute minimum effort and all their games will sell millions.

Philosophers ponder the meaning of life but I'm more baffled by how the Pokémon franchise is still successful to this day. Imagine a franchise is as innovative as Assassin's Creed and as repetitive as Call of Duty. Once all the manchildren and weebs grow up that shitty franchise will crash and burn along with the insufferable furfaggotry that it spawned.
>>
File: 1408675753307.png (251KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1408675753307.png
251KB, 500x375px
I don't get it. They set their fees. Why complain about their pay if the game makes billions?
>>
>>376719232
FLASHBANG THROUGH THA DOOR!
>>
>>376731549
>>376731942
http://nbc4i.com/2017/04/25/in-parts-of-the-californias-bay-area-105350-is-now-low-income/
>In San Francisco and San Mateo Counties, a family of four making $105,350 or less is now considered low income by the federal government Department of Housing and Urban Development. That means they can qualify for affordable housing.
>To put this in perspective, the average household income for a family of four in the rest of the United States is $55,775. “Low income” families make $24,399 on average.

videogames
>>
File: thinkingwarp.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinkingwarp.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>Japan
>Voice actors that go into VA schools, get every shit job they can get and work their way up the ladder up to the point where their name is actual advertisement to the game
>West
>Director's daughter is hired as a voice actor to make her CUTE CRAZY VOICE X3 as a character and then whines she doesn't get enough money
>>
>the voice actors have been paid $450,000,000
That's more than enough.
>>
Any big names involved?
>>
>>376732267
Can we please remove this awful state from the union already? Or at least just the southern half?
>>
>>376723619
The difference is often a film/tv/stage actor can sell the product, and be the key reason people watch it. No one, and I mean no one is going to have a purchase of a video game dictated by a voice actor in it because they are completely ancillary to the game most of the time. Film/tv/stage you are sitting there watching the actors and enjoyment is most of the time largely dictated by their performances. Video games you are largely making your own fun with the game and as such actors aren't that important.

I mean the Writer's Strike affected tv shows and movies because they were the ones largely responsible for producing the shows and movies. Voice actors aren't, and I cannot fathom why they think anyone would care about their strike.
>>
>>376719232
Voice actor here, not surprised to see retards from /v/ acting like they know what the job entails.

CoD is one of those games where you go into the recording studio, yell for 4-6 hours, then go home feeling like utter shit because you've been yelling for god knows how long.

All those single lines of dialogue pile up, especially if you're recording for the campaign or other actual dialogue heavy parts of the game. There's a lot of grunting, yelling of "GRENADE OUT" and other such bullshit.
Because of how much yelling you are usually out of work for a few days or even a week because your voice can't handle that shit.

inb4 hurf durf weakass babby vocal cords why are you acting
That's not how biology works you fucknut you can't just train yourself to withstand hours of talking/yelling without consequence.

Yes I have to take a non VA job to put food on the table. No I can't join union because I'm relatively small name and all the companies that think of hiring me now will blacklist me.
>>
Never realize how little respect voice actors get on here. It's crazy.
>>
>>376732667
California will eventually physically remove itself from continental the continental US
>>
>>376732979
Forgot to mention I like the strike going on because I'm getting more jobs since I'm non-union.
>>
>>376727647
>freud.png

Also are women that much into lesbians, or do just dykes fap that much more? Also how does Pornhub get your gender? Was that some sort of survey?
>>
>>376732979
Are you implying anybody cares? Devs could literally ask their fathers to voice act this shit in their free time for free.
>>
>>376719849
GTA uses actual criminals for some of the VAs, IIRC.
>>
>>376732979
No one thinks you should have to work in shit conditions you twat.
Your union is pants on head retarded for thinking they can argue for royalties.
Be mad at them your still dealing with this shit.
>>
>>376732979
>My job is hard
Welcome to the world Anon, it doesn't mean you fucking need royalties from a multi-billion dollar industry.
>>
>>376732979
proofs
>>
>>376719232
.03% of 15 billion is still a shit load of money.
>>
File: 1241241312312.jpg (9KB, 236x179px) Image search: [Google]
1241241312312.jpg
9KB, 236x179px
>>376732979
>Wow my job is hard
It is for like 90% of the world too buddy
>>
>>376732267
>>376731942
>>376731845
>>376731549
>yfw 6000€ a year gets you a comfy living anywhere in central or baltic Europe.

Shit I mean if it can feed faggots in SanFran, it shouldn't be that hard making money via shit like Youtube, right?
>>
File: blank image.png (428KB, 516x493px) Image search: [Google]
blank image.png
428KB, 516x493px
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>376732979
>>376733176
>in support of Union despite being a scab
>if this goes through you will be literally REMOVE DESCAB
>not to mention being impossible to find decent work if YOU ARE SMALLTIME.jpg
>>
>>376732979
Your conditions do suck, but all these high profile VAs thinking they deserve royalties when absolutely no one is buying a video game for the fucking voice acting is why things aren't gonna change for you. Blame them.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 640x360px
>>376719232
So like $450,000 approx?
I'm shit at maths but even I know that's decent for a minor voice clip
>>
>>376726670
Out of the five you posted, Laura Bailey has the most talent out of them all. Tory as well but ever since Last of Us his talent gets wasted as he always type-casted as "Generic Brown Haired Protagonist #132".
>>
>>376734232
Wait hold on, 4500000.
Do they mean combining all of their wages?
>>
>>376719232
Didn't the programmers, artists, and codes all get a similar tiny percentage of the sales? At least when you compare how much percentage of the project they were around for and working on.
The vast majority of profit goes to the actual company, and it goes into a vault or the CEOs use it to give bonuses to the studio heads.

Voice acting is good, but not near as important as good programmers.
>>
>>376719232
Fuck em. When I have the choice I turn voices the fuck off. I play games to play games not to hear some up their own ass actor LARP.
>>
>>376724191
I think the actual people who design the games should make the most money :^)
>>
>>376734283
And they pretty much replaced every role he thought he was too good for with Matthew Mercer.
>>
Whenever you see this image in the OP you can always bet your entire life savings that there will be at least a dozen posts in the thread with people trying to do the math and then arguing with other people about who is right. Every single time.
>>
>>376733017
>/v/
>respect
lol
>>
>>376734623
I want to practise my math again, what's the problem?
>>
>>376734472
>LARP = acting
imagine being this retarded
>>
>>376734550
I hope these retards keep this shit up until they end up getting blacklisted, the strike is allowing real talent to shine
>>
>all the same voices you hear everywhere go on strike
>people get to hear new voices in their games/tv shows for the first time in who knows how long

they can stay on strike forever.
>>
>>376734998
>get P5/SMT IVA dub which is actually decent except for a small handful of voices
I'm ok with this
This
>>
>>376734796
That's essentially what they're doing, you dense retard. Go ahead and boot up a longplay of Sonic Adventure.

No, go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
The longer they strike the more moot they become
>>
>>376721741
That's because they literally get no context beyond the lines on the script itself.
>>
>>376719232
Even just a small percentage of billions is still millions. My lord, I'm the chemical engineer fag here, and I'm struggling to get $14/hr CAD contract work w/o benefits. In Canada for example, the writers and actor's guild is the most powerful union, ignoring police unions. Greedy bunch of actors, and to get in they pretty much are family and friends. Christ.
>>
>>376734998
This so fucking much.

I hope Tara Strong and Troy Baker never find work again in any medium.
>>
>>376735235
The defense for this is always "avoiding spoilers". Like having them sign an NDA is hard.
And yet the medium thinks it can ape movies, what a joke.
>>
>>376734808
Matthew Mercer is basically Troy Baker 2.0, if he was much more likable and nerdy.
>>
>>376735526
I hope Tara finds work in my pants!
>>
>>376732979
>Yelling is hard

Lol k
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1116OAe6II8
>>
>arguing VAs shouldn't get paid more because the conditions of your employment are also bad
>instead of arguing that you should also get more money

this is the cuckest shit i've ever seen
>>
>>376735710
Actors have often proven themselves to be untrustworthy in this regard. Even the list of unstruck games leaked a Telltale game.
>>
File: 1470739437036.png (797KB, 812x806px) Image search: [Google]
1470739437036.png
797KB, 812x806px
>VA union bitching about muh money and royalties when programmers are treated like shit, are more important to development than VA will ever be and have no union
>>
>>376719232
The fact that it has gone this long means they have 0 power over vidya devs and publishers.
>>
>Joining a voice acting union

Why? So all of your potential jobs can get passed off to Troy Baker? Freelance or bust.
>>
File: 1470523611227.jpg (6KB, 249x174px) Image search: [Google]
1470523611227.jpg
6KB, 249x174px
>>376735305

how in the ever living fuck are you a chem E and making $14/hr in leaf dollars. you are either lying or retarded.

if you're neither then fucking move because you're definitely in the wrong place.
>>
>>376735143
do you even know what larp stands for you subhuman zulu nigger?
>>
>>376727935
Now cluck like a chicken!!
>>
I know a singer and voice actor. These kinds of people are impossible to argue with. They are underpaid and underappreciated for their art because they need a second job to supplement the career that they only get paid for maybe 20 hours in a studio in a month, or a week's worth of performances every quarter. They practice and they train and they record loud lines and their voices hurt and breaking into the business is hard and and and.

It sucks because they're my friends and honestly they're not bad at it, but you can't even suggest that maybe just because they call it a career doesn't make it one. Voice acting is a big part of game immersion (you can tell because of how much a shitty VA stands out, laughingtidus) but don't come crawling saying that you aren't being paid enough for that 6 weeks of practice and recording. Especially from what are apparently 'professional' voice 'talent' for these things. There's a reason that only about a dozen people do all the major licensed anime dub voices.

There's no good way to say to someone that "maybe you're not as important as you think you are" without immediately becoming the asshole in the group.
>>
File: 1488402844630_v.jpg (55KB, 720x663px) Image search: [Google]
1488402844630_v.jpg
55KB, 720x663px
>still going on
>no noticable drip in voice quality in games
>many companies are excempt from the strike

Wow great strike. Way to go Hayter.
>>
>>376737070
That's hard to help. They mostly feel that way cause everyone is the hero in their own story
>>
>>376737236
Is the strike still going? Because I literally didn't see any difference.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170512-152739.jpg (299KB, 1132x1306px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170512-152739.jpg
299KB, 1132x1306px
>Judging the fine people over at SAG-AFTRA

You should just sit down and talk with them. They're actually very down to Earth people.
>>
File: 1491923517396.jpg (55KB, 450x604px) Image search: [Google]
1491923517396.jpg
55KB, 450x604px
>>376732979
Wierd how a actual Gary Oldman said it was hard but fun yet "professional" voice actors cry about hurting their poor voices :(

Anyone in the union deserves to be shat on. Even Nolan North hates the union and its "strike"
>>
>>376737802
Its literally the worst strike in existance.
>>
>>376736252
The best trick businesses ever pulled was convincing workers that unions were bad and to actively oppose collective bargaining. Though these actors' guilds are more about exclusive membership than they are about representing talent so it's not really a surprise that the strike isn't having a noticeable effect. There's a line of scab workers waiting for the roles under the 'shitty conditions' that you're trying to fix, and they're only not members because you wouldn't let them be.
>>
>>376732979
Good news /v/, chance is you can kill this guy if you disagree with him since all that screaming probably included death sounds.

I respect you and your work a lot, and always seek out voice actors for every game I play, so I most probably heard about you and value your work. Can you tell us more stories?
>>
>>376738082
Tell me that's a trap and there is porn of it.
>>
>>376725183
Their demands are royalties/residuals with the long-term goal of putting games on par with film and TV in terms of actors payment structure.

Ignore any morals, it is never going to happen. People don't buy games for the acting, so the union has very little leverage. The union is clueless about the industry and is happily throwing videogame VAs under a bus, because they represent a tiny amount of their income, to try and make a twisted point.
>>
File: nietzsche-marx-3.jpg (74KB, 647x960px) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche-marx-3.jpg
74KB, 647x960px
>>376719232
Correct me if it's not as simple as this.

>games are produced for a market
>that market chooses whether to buy those games or not
>if games needed to have well-paid VA to satisfy the market then any company which did not do this would lose sales
>and then only companies that paid VA well would survive, eventually all companies would

So are they striking over something that has no market value?
>>
File: 1489942380664.jpg (119KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489942380664.jpg
119KB, 1080x1080px
Would you place VA's around the bottom of the payroll along with the testers? I would. These assholes have their heads too far up their asses.
>>
203 days?
I thought it had to have been 3 months, max.
>>
>>376738789
They are SAYING they striking over working conditions that have been proved wrong.

Really they want more money and a cut of game sales.

Blizzard is excempt from the strike because they continually need to bring the actors back for new lines so they dont wanna lose that money or they will just be replaced like mercy, lich king and hots kerrigam was.
>>
>>376738970
Yup, most of the best games have little voice acting. The money should go to programmers, the artists, and sound people.
>>
>>376735927
>when Twilight Sparkle gobbles your cock
Can't contain the clopping in my pants.
>>
>>376738789
The fact that there's thousands of freelance people lined up and ready to take any VA job shows how useless this strike is.

It only singles out the jackoffs who are part of this union and shows devs who NOT to hire when they need a roll filled.
>>
>>376739526
It was a joke from the start. Literally just a result of David Hayter's mgsv tantrum.
>>
>>376739279
>They are SAYING they striking over working conditions that have been proved wrong.
But my greentext summary accounts for that, no? You can't ensure a good level of working conditions (or even the existence of the job itself, kek) if the work does not have notable market value. Market value is what allows things to acquire protection, since protection requires money to provide.

>>376739762
It's quite ironic since Hayter did a much better job with the VA than Sutherland (Hollywood actor that did 24). You'd think he could at least take a modern pride in that. That among enthusiasts his work would be lauded.

Instead he had the narcissistic greed to put his trade on the level of something much more important, film acting.
>>
>>376740264
>modern pride
*modest pride
>>
>>376739279
Compensation is a part of working conditions. But yeah, it's a power grab to get parity with other professions that put "Actor" in their title. But games aren't focused on character or line delivery, so they don't really have the leverage to do jack shit.

My favorite bit of voice acting in game was in SimCity 2000, the sound effect for selecting one of the power options was just a developer going "BZZZT" into a microphone. You aren't pulling my heartstrings because you can't buy a house after doing that.
>>
>>376732979
Trained actors barely ever lose their voice, just like trained singers.

You're a massive liar.

t. singer at disneyworld
>>
These are the most obvious shill threads on this board. Literally nobody here think voice actors deserve any more than they're getting. Try reddit, retards.
>>
>>376719232
So you should be Hollywood actor tier of being paid but they only employ like... 15? 20? people to ever voice games.
>>
>>376719232
NO ONE BUYS THESE FUCKING GAMES FOR THE VOICE ACTORS PLEASE FUCK OFF WITH YOUR GREEDY ENTITLEMENT
>>
File: dawn-of-war-3.jpg (613KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dawn-of-war-3.jpg
613KB, 1920x1080px
>>376740967
I would have bought this if the VA work was decent.
>>
>>376732979
You don't deserve more money. End of story. Your own anecdote is an argument for better working conditions not making a shitload of money doing a piss easy job. The only retard here is you, and it makes sense, considering you're a VA that supports the strike.
>>
>>376740967
You don't buy a sandwich for the mustard either, but you still want it there. Turns out there's a ton of other mustards out there when one runs out though, so you might notice the difference but the sandwich is still good.
>>
>>376719232
I can't believe they think they're worth shit
>>
>>376719378
2bh most complaints are aimed at voice acting these days.
>>
>>376741428
>You don't buy a sandwich for the mustard either, but you still want it there
No i don't, i hate mustard.
>>
>>376719378
If you think acting is so easy maybe you should become the next Laurence Olivier bud.
>>
Reminds me of that South Park episode where Canada goes on strike

In another 100 days or so, they'll announce they've reached a deal, and gloat about the victory even though the loss of income for most of the people actually affected by it was not worth it
>>
>>376724369
literally nobody cares about voice actors

if visual artists or programmers or game designers or even musicians took a strike maybe I'd give a single shit
>>
>>376741428
A food analogy that doesn't even work unless you're stupid enough to think people can just add their own voice acting to game like its fucking mustard you retard.

Stop being fat fucks /v/
>>
>>376724369
What? These people are the upper class moaning at the even upper-er class that they don't get enough.
>>
File: IMG_20170512_222404.jpg (59KB, 993x207px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170512_222404.jpg
59KB, 993x207px
>>376719232
>>
>>376731976
>the first pokemon games
Learn to read.
>>
>>376742196
.03 = 3%
.003 = 0.3%
.0003 = 0.03%

Learn 2 math /v/
>>
>>376727303
I want to FUCK Orendi!
>>
Just voice all videogame characters with Microsoft Sam. It's cheaper and less drama
>>
>>376721741
Like he said, that's the Voice Director's job.
>>
>>376719232
How will poor Kevin Spacey and Kit Harrington afford their next meal???
>>
>>376741830
Pretty much what happened this month about Trudeau putting tariffs on lumber or something about the milk thing. The US did not care, and it's workforce grew by 500k or so in a month.
>>
>>376727303
how dare you leave burch in the lurch
>>
>>376727835
Wouldn't you be too? Man I'd be fucking pissed.
>>
>>376735235
>>376735710
But shouldn't the director have access to the full script? It's his job to make sure the actors deliver the lines in a way that makes sense. I have a feeling a lot of it is just incompetence, because I hear it in animated shows, too. How do I get a job as a voice director?
>>
File: Gdimainenemy.png (32KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gdimainenemy.png
32KB, 640x400px
>>376742007
Nothing stopping the devs from just recording their own lines. Hell, as an example, Westwood's FMVs were just programmers in front of a green screen.
>>
>>376728168
Stop putting your delicate emotions into the definition of a word. Guess what? You're literally retarding this conversation. That makes you a retardant, but we can shorten that to retard.
>>
>>376720134
American actors, you mean. Many bongland actors are talented theatre actors.
>>
>>376726181
>they don't deserve royalties more than the programmers, animators, modelers, writers, marketers, etc.
Those guys never get royalties.
>>
>>376743591
What the fuck does any of that have to do with what I said?.
>>
>>376723427
Persona 5 actually got slightly better with the strike.
>>
Okay guys. Let's see how future videogames work for you without voice actors.

Fucking spazztic retards saying they're worth nothing. Take Witcher 3's VA and emotional tone out. Take misc voices in combat situations. Take away voices in any setting.

I better not hear any "immersion" threads, because your own deluded heads are not good enough to make up voices for characters constantly

Also not a voice actor, just lurked this entire thread. You're all such fucking retards that its almost unbelievable.
They're demanding a lot, yes, royalties for voice acting is not kosher. But they should get better conditions or better wage, and steadier hours.

inb4 'but anyone can VA xD ask ur neighbor"
Game VAs have been getting better/more focused over the years. I want you to go back to nothing, or this >>>376743591 in this day and age
>>
File: 1396750499932.jpg (20KB, 312x294px) Image search: [Google]
1396750499932.jpg
20KB, 312x294px
>Charge a certain price for VO
>Game makes a lot of money
>Get upset that you didn't make a significant percentage of that profit
>>
>>376742007
Have you not modded L4D voices?

You shouldn't take food analogies so seriously. Unless your the kind of person who carries mustard in their purse all the time, it fits.
>>
>>376743754
But they should get royalties before voice actors do is his point.
>>
>>376743014
Great now I'm going to spend the rest of my day off finding the most serious video game quotes just for Microsoft Sam to ruin them for me.
>>
>>376743954
>Take Witcher 3's VA and emotional tone out.
...but Witcher 3 wasn't SAG-AFTRA.
>>
>>376743986
Are you high? None of this has anything to do with my post.
>>
>>376743954
>>376743954
>TW3
Polish VAs aren't the ones on strike. American VAs are, and they happen to be the worst overall actors in the industry
>>
>>376744015
They never will because they don't have unions and are easily replaceable.
>>
>>376743968
The real kicker here is that the people who made 90% of the game possible, the programmers, probably got paid less than the "actors" in spite of doing about 5000000x more work.
>>
>>376732979
>That's not how biology works you fucknut you can't just train yourself to withstand hours of talking/yelling without consequence.

you do realize drill sergents in the military do exactly that
>>
File: 1428144893140.png (110KB, 269x271px) Image search: [Google]
1428144893140.png
110KB, 269x271px
>>376743954
>developers will have to sell games based on their gameplay rather than the game's story/acting

ummmmm guys wtf do we do??? END THE STRIKE!!
>>
>>376744123
>>376744143
How does this fly over your head so easily

First off the American VAs for W3 did a fine job, and delivered to the point that I never thought about the characters being voice acted by someone. That's probably why you're all throwing them under the bus, you don't think about it during the game...but if they were gone you'd notice and bitch about that instead.

Secondly its what SAG-AFTRA stands for. It may not make a difference now, but the more you morons perpetuate this whole "oh voice actors don't mean shit" the more frustrated people will get. When the ones you like die and new voices take over, imagine what its like coming into a cesspit and seeing your work reduced to shitposting/neglected.
>>
>>376744451
Okay dude. So many people enjoy MUDS and Dwarf Fortress, definitely not a minority of people who sadly share a fanbase with a retard like you.

Videogames have gotten better over the years, voice acting when done right adds a lot to an experience
Get off your cynical bitter high horse, you useless contrarian idiot
>>
>>376744587
WITCHER 3 WAS DUBBED IN BRITAIN NOT AMERICA GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD
>>
>>376723825
>implying /v/irgins or any sort of "amateur" VA is any better than the "pros"
Reminder Rina-chan is a pro VA now and she's just as shit as the rest of them
>>
>tfw teamfourstar could be the cast of any game in the future
>>
File: 12434457457567.jpg (83KB, 926x693px) Image search: [Google]
12434457457567.jpg
83KB, 926x693px
>>376744587
Fuck off you crying delusional twat. English VA's are fucking dog shit. When your kind starts actually putting effort into your craft to the point where I don't need to ask for jap dubs because they actually do a stellar job, then you can beg for more money.
Until then, nobody gives a fuck. Your whining is music to my ears.
>>
>>376744961
Same shit. I'm using American loosely, you're just reaching for strawmen. All videogames have VAs and the experience would lessen if they never did in the first place. Your EU, American, Japanese games all use VAs. Some better than others, it doesn't fucking matter. What matters is thinking they're all trivial

And yeah rag on me for using American instead of Brit, I should have just said English but now you have some ammo to pick apart allll my points with. Good boy.
>>
>>376745145
How about when Jap VAs do the same?

You are missing the point but it's not like I expected anything more from this echo chamber

You can't take your head out of your ass far enough to see that this isn't a "my dub/sub choice is better than yours"
>>
>>376745230
No one is talking about no voice acting, just that voice actors don't deserve what they're crying for financially. Better working conditions might be something to strive for, but no VA is "quality" enough to sell a game on their own. They don't deserve any more fucking money than they already get and its maddening that those egotistical fucks are crying for shit like royalties when developers and programmers are who actually deserve anything like that.

I buy games based on gameplay, not because of some douchebag that played Mcree in Overwatch.
>>
File: 1367975932684.jpg (9KB, 156x134px) Image search: [Google]
1367975932684.jpg
9KB, 156x134px
If voice actors want more money why don't they charge more?
>>
>>376745338
>Muh Echo chamber

You VA shills always pull this out because you have no reasonable defense for why your kind deserve fucking royalties of all things.
Fuck off.
>>
>>376745665
Fair enough, I got a tad too annoyed and missed that part in lieu of all the shitflinging that goes around here

I don't expect anyone to buy games because of VA, I just hate how much flak they all get and think people are truly delusional by saying it won't make a difference if a game has VAs or not
>>
>>376719992
>RAMIREZ!
>>
>>376746793
my point wasn't on royalties anyway...it's the fact that everyone thinks they're worthless
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RSHXY1PmQn

>tfw actually had a really good one but deleted it and then started overselling
>>
>>376747949
Rollmirez
>>
>>376748340
is your name Steve?
>>
>>376724369
You're right comrade! For far too long have these evil capitalist pigs been controlling the video games!

We must seize the means of production and ensure everyone gets an equal cut of the profit. CEOs, Developers, Voice Actosr, Warehouse Workers, Q&A Testers, everyone!
>>
>>376747949
le roll
>>
>>376748340
you're a shit "VA" faggot
this entire thing is retarded but you're also a shinning example of bad VA
>>
File: IMG_0015.jpg (17KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
17KB, 236x236px
>>376726476
>if you are unable to tell the difference between fiction and reality, and one designed to glean money from you, your a mouth breather

Wanna know what happens when you take a stupid book too seriously?

Religion
>>
File: bowie costanza.jpg (1MB, 1071x1435px) Image search: [Google]
bowie costanza.jpg
1MB, 1071x1435px
>VAs try to strike for undeserved royalties
>cheaper non-unionized VAs take their roles immediately
>union continues to REEEEEEE while underappreciated talent takes more work for an agreed upon price

Christ I love the free market, if these fuckers deserve royalties they can negotiate for them. If they don't have the LEVERAGE, they lose the NEGOTIATION. Welcome to the real world fuckers. Your talent is only worth what people will pay.
>>
>>376749224
not him, but you're an idiot. you're leaping from "the written word can be emotionally evocative" to "hurr durr if you believe a book you're a religious nutjob"
>>
>>376749505
>>union continues to REEEEEEE while underappreciated talent takes more work for an agreed upon price

The union doesn't really care about videogames.

That's the underlying problem. They are TV/film folks, that's where all their members and money comes from, meaning they can throw the small-time videogame VAs under the bus to try and make a point.

They would look stupid as fuck to back down now, so this shit is going to run and run.
>>
File: 1487817572730.jpg (22KB, 317x267px) Image search: [Google]
1487817572730.jpg
22KB, 317x267px
>they want a percent cut of total profits

hahahaha
HAHAHAHHAA
HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHH
>>
When will we feel the ramifications of this HARROWING ordeal?
>>
>>376749910
>cut of the profits
>not cut of the gross

hahahaha
HAHAHAHHAA
HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHH
>>
>>376719232
Wait, 203th day?
Oh yeah, I still don't care.
Voice actors ruin games more than they help.
Maybe if they did a better job, they'd get paid more.
>>
if it wasn't for the fact that /v/ keeps reminding me the strike exists, i would not even notice the effect

that's how inconsequential "professional" voice acting is

if anything, video game writing should only become better over time since they are less likely to be fully voiced
>>
>computers and machines will take over this industry
Oh well
>>
>>376751172
Yup, won't be long until voice acting is fully computer generated
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.