[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worth playing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

File: Rimworld.jpg (507KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Rimworld.jpg
507KB, 1680x1050px
Worth playing?
>>
This looks like some sort of dwarf fort without eye cancer
>>
Hell to the yes

Insanely fun game
>>
>>376056515
Looks like a dumbed-down facorio ripoff. And it's more expensive, lel.
>>
>>376056515
if you like that type of games yes.
Its a simpler sci fi dwarf fortress with actual UI.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (72KB, 628x568px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
72KB, 628x568px
Spent a good 8 hours dicking around in it, though I constantly got my shit pushed in by the third or fourth wave of raiders.

Might buy it if it ever gets out of early access
>>
>>376057058
I hope you are not implying that those are DLC or some shit like that.
>>
>>376056515
yes. Learning curve is rough at first.

>>376057058
Its a way to help fund the game without resorting to kickstarter. Its not DLC.
>>
>>376057559
those DLCs are for adding bullshit lore/NPCs you want in game. no content is missing. although the base game is a bit expensive
>>
looks like a heavily modded prison architect
>>
>>376056515
Yeah, it's good.
This is from a guy who spent 4 years with dorf fortress.
There are much fewer villagers but you micromanage them more. You get attached to them, know the quirks, strength and weaknesses of all of them.
But the combat single handedly makes it better than DF, which still doesn't have fucking squad controls that lets you position your units in combat.

The latest version already has a good amount of content, but it has a good modding community if you want that "everything and the kitchen sink" experience with just a ton of more weapons and crafting.

The random events are fun and varied, and require different strategies depending on if you face crazy robots, space pirates or tribals.
>>
>>376057559
They're kickstarter bonuses, if you buy one you get to add a named character or backstory into the game.
>>
>>376056579
>can't deal with ascii visuals
Jesus, this is advanced level retardation
>>
>>376058005
That's sucks, I hated seeing fan backstories in prison architect. They were badly written and broke my immersion
>>
Good game, incredibly easy to cheat the AI through kill corridors and exploit mechanics though

>Mine into mountain
>Make kill corridor 50+ tiles long
>Line with steel or stronger deadfall traps
>Make sure every empty tile in base is covered by electrical wire so infestations can't spawn
>Enjoy your invulnerable base, you'll only have to leave to trade and to kill tunneling enemies.
>>
>>376058040
> don't want to get a seizure trying to just see a game
> literally needing to be on the autism spectrum to be able to just see the "visuals"
yeah ascii visuals is cancer
>>
>>376058226
yeah it was extremely shit in pillars of eternity
>>
>>376058385
Every similar game has cheesy shit. In DF you can just put down a drawbridge.
It's a single player sandbox game, it's as fun as you make it. Build a village instead of digging into a mountain.
>>
File: 1452417032974.jpg (83KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452417032974.jpg
83KB, 590x400px
>>376058385
>Mine into mountain
Villagers moods fall from living in a mountain forever
>Make kill corridor 50+ tiles long
Takes villagers forever to get outside
>Line with steel or stronger deadfall traps
Trap misfires killing villages
>Make sure every empty tile in base is covered by electrical wire so infestations can't spawn
FUCK TON OF STEEL
>Enjoy your invulnerable base, you'll only have to leave to trade and to kill tunneling enemies
I mean yeah there are ways to break the game but the fun is trying new stuff. Its easy to choose a mountain zone with all season farming. Like ever try making a village in a snow region? shits way different.
>>
>>376058683
Ruined the game for me honestly, the worst part is that you couldn't disable them.
>>
>>376058385
Deadfall traps suck ass, I've had more villagers die to them than raiders.
>>
>>376056515
yes
>>
>>376058691
True, I enjoy creating bases designed around the map generated for me. It's fun to game the system sometimes though.

>>376058920
I wrote a big post but then I deleted it. You're right though.

>>376059058
You can put them in a diamond pattern so that your colonists will walk diagonally over them without getting hurt. If you're making a kill corridor though I recommend just making a 2nd corridor full of doors for use by your colonists.
>>
>>376058385
Tynan is changing the ai behavior next patch, same with the bullshit surgery accidents.
>>
>>376059735
I read about that - is the AI actually changing for the enemies though? Like, so they don't just pile into killboxes?
>>
>>376058691
>build a village
Anon, that base is ugly as shit with huge rooms just loaded with junk. I totally agree with you, but you need to up your game.
>>
>>376060005
>huge rooms just loaded with junk.
How else are you going to make storage rooms?
>>
>>376060103
Separate rooms with racks / palettes specializing in the type of stored goods and located closer to where they're useful, of course.
>>
Played this a few years ago. learned about it from a gamergate stream that tynan was in

Was pretty fun, but grew tedious after playing the same colony for a while. ON the hardest difficulty, my colony grew so big that raiders couldn't handle it. It literally devolved into an ENDLESS stream of raiders pouring in from all directions to get massacred in my killbox until they fled in terror. Assuming they even made it there without going insane from seeing all the corpses in their path. Got so bad half the characters on the map couldn't even move most of the time because there were so many of them, resulting in lines so long that raiders couldn't make it to my base before the next wave spawned. After a while, the entire map was just corpses and the supplies they dropped piled everywhere, a lot of it a consequence of them going mad from starvation and from seeing other corpses everywhere and starting to kill each other.

Was pretty funny for a while, but got boring fast. Kinda felt like I had 'beaten the game' at that point so I haven't looked back. Has it changed significantly the last 2-3 years? Do massive colonies still suffer from the above-mentioned problem?
>>
>>376058040
Rimworld is DF for casuals, were you expecting them to be anything else?
>>
File: memeworld.jpg (145KB, 1440x848px) Image search: [Google]
memeworld.jpg
145KB, 1440x848px
>>376059917
according to the beta testers the new ai moves alot more instead of stacking locked in 1 place. They will move after every shot and avoid staying in turret range.
>>
File: 1481316604726.gif (404KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1481316604726.gif
404KB, 342x342px
Should I pirate it?
>>
>>376061127
what am I looking at

can you actually link and travel between different zones on the same 'map' now?
>>
>>376061375
yes its a good game and eventually you will pay for it
>>
>>376061453
Tynan has stated he wants to make travel viable so hes adding roads to make it faster, also hes adding in new content related to the new world map.
>>
>>376058385

Yeah i think i'd enjoy this game much more if the combat was less about making killboxes. Great game but ive played about 10 minutes in total since the big world update
>>
>>376062097
Then stop making them. You're ruining your own sandbox game.
>>
play factorio instead
>>
>>376062710
It's a completely different genre.
>>
>>376059735
>Oh no, one of my villagers just lost a leg, better install a peg-leg.
>Whoops, accidentally cut off his head!

Every time.
>>
Just got done trying it, got one of my buddies kickstarter downloads.
The setting just doesn't do much for me. If it was fantasy with magic, or just something unique I guess. Like the base gameplay but the boring colonists building a base stuff just doesn't catch my interest.
>>
Pirate it and play for a few hours and then never touch it again.
>>
>>376056515
Yes, even better modded
>>
>>376058385
>Mine into mountain
>insect lair spawns inside your base and pushes your shit in
>>
>>376056515
I pirated twenty minutes ago. I skipped the tutorial and chose the solitary rich explorer. In my five minutes of clicking around, all I managed to do was slaughter my pet dog, Mumbles. This made my character sad and then I turned the game off.
>>
>>376056579
Except Rimworld gives me eye cancer with it's ugly models and lazy backgrounds.

Dwarf Fortress with a tileset looks much better.
>>
>>376060608
if you havent played it in 2-3 years, you should play it again. It has changed a lot. And if its still to "easy" for you then there is a shit ton more mods than there used to be also.
>>
>>376057938
>But the combat single handedly makes it better than DF
Can't imagine that. DF combat logs are some of the best parts of the game.
>>
>>376067124
man RimWorld is casual as fuck compared to some stuff out there and you can't even figure it out.
>normiesgetout.jpg
>>
>>376066830
>>
>>376067584
that might be true but its literally read what happens. you have 0 control on what actually happens in combat other than putting the dorfs near the enemy
>>
>>376058226

>broke my immersion

holy shit you guys have some thin skinned immersion capabilities.
>>
>>376067716
That's half of the fun.
You can directly control things in adventure mode. "Grab third tooth from the left" and all that shit.
>>
>>376066830
>>376067693
>edit scenario
>disable infestation
>>
>>376067584
>>376067859
Combat log is the only fun part.
And losing my men because there is neither manual control nor good AI besides "attack closest enemy until you die" is not fun. Not even FUN. Just shit.

Once your dorf sees an enemy you better fucking hope he won't chase him into a group of 10 other enemies while the other 9 people in your squad are chasing a routed enemy group.
>>
>>376068632
You're a liar or a casual, pick one.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military_F.A.Q.#How_do_I_make_my_dwarves_kill_things.3F

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military_F.A.Q.#I_can.27t_get_my_dwarves_to_STOP_killing_things.21
>>
>>376068632
Oh please, complaining about a little bit of attrition.
All part of a regular dorfs life.
Or are you one of those fags that hermetically seal their fort and then complain that the game is too easy?

Relying mostly on military with few traps, is the most rewarding and fun way to play this game. Otherwise you are playing it wrong.
>>
File: 12323434324.png (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
12323434324.png
101KB, 640x640px
Can someone explain to me why threads about this game attract so many butthurt DF grogs?
>>
>>376068932
Anon I've been playing DF since the version before DF2012. I know about turning them into civs, but half of the time it will get them killed anyway since they will scatter instead of returning to the base.
It's shit and literally cannot be defended.
All I want is a force move. And maybe a hold position. Is that so much to ask?

It was made even worse with the latest big version, when now marksdwarves will jump off your walls to melee the enemy unless you make horrendously ugly and oversized walls that prevents them from doing it.

The combat controls were shit, and with every version they are getting even shitter.
>>
>>376056515

I bought it, played an hour and didnt really click with it so i refunded

a while later, i pirated it and lost a day, so i rebought it and played it alot, before even adventuring into mods
>>
>>376069230
Well a lot of those games in these threads just rip off DF without even being subtle about it.
>>
>>376069303
You said "I can't pick where my squads go" and "I can't selectively target." You can assuredly do both. Also yes, when you call a full retreat it's usually pandemonium. Probably not intentional design but it suits me. Breaking engagements in melee us fucking hard.

Get fucked you goalpost moving lying motherfucker.
>>
>>376056515
It's alright, definitely worth a pirate. It's basically df lite with a cooler setting and more micromanagement. It turned me off mostly because you can't run your colony with manager options like in df. Having electricity to deal with and the relationships between people is pretty cool though.
>>
>>376069230
Autism.
>>
>>376069568
>taking something that plays really well but looks like shit and trying to not make it look like shit is a bad thing
>>
>>376069574
>You said "I can't pick where my squads go" and "I can't selectively target." You can assuredly do both.
No. Not anymore as soon as they see a single enemy.
Nothing to do with goalposts. All controls are effectively disabled as soon as an enemy gets within 100 yards of your dwarves.
>>
>>376069847
So you didn't read what I linked you? You can select their active targets and they ignore anyone else, unless that's been changed LITERALLY IN THE LATEST RELEASE you are actually full of shit.

Besides even if you don't manage them they pick targets well enough.
>>
>>376069568
So what, you expect your royalties or confirmation of your OG cred?
>>
>>376069832
>take something that looks like shit
>make it look even shittier
Wew, great job there m8.
Even the most basic tilesets look better than the lazy, ugly graphics of this game. Especially the character models are jarring.
>>
File: Double Doubt.jpg (12KB, 261x196px) Image search: [Google]
Double Doubt.jpg
12KB, 261x196px
I really wish I could get into Dwarf Fortress because I like playing civilization games but fuck me the game is incredibly confusing to navigate just looks god awful.
The sheer size of the menu just overwhelms me and idk where to even start.
>>
>>376069989
>You can select their active targets and they ignore anyone else, unless that's been changed LITERALLY IN THE LATEST RELEASE you are actually full of shit.
But that's wrong.
You can set a kill target and they will start moving that way, but they will still attack the first enemy that they will see.

That's also on the DF wiki, btw.
>attack command:
>Dwarves go about this with a little more vigor than required and will also attack any other creatures nearby.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Squad#Direct_Commands
>>
>>376070435
Then don't run them straight into a line of melee guys if you're trying to get to crossbow users you ding dong. They will certainly prefer their target unless their target is very far away or simply surrounded by other faggot elves that need killing first. You're not supposed to be micro managing your soldiers like that. You're a leader not an RTS player. The whole point of the game is that dwarves are nuts, independent entities just like you in real life.
>>
>>376070715
Who's moving the goalposts now?
>the controls are shit
>no they are not
>yes they are
>okay they are but you're not supposed to control them anyway
And I'm sure siege engine controls are also nonexistent because you're a leader and you're not supposed to fire with them diagonally.
>>
I just wish the game would go on sale. I never buy things full price out of principle and because I am unironically a Jew.
>>
>>376056515
Absolutely dude. I'very played every version for about 2 years now. I get at least 30 hours of play time out of every release. If anything pirate it and try it. It's great.
>>
>>376071081
Are jews smart enough to torrent vidya with zero copy protection?
>>
File: 2catlmao.jpg (33KB, 384x315px) Image search: [Google]
2catlmao.jpg
33KB, 384x315px
>tfw you like Rimworld AND Dorf Fort
>>
So are the roads in the overworld easier to travel on?
>>
>>376071154
Israel has tough piracy laws, wouldn't want to get caught.
>>
>>376071395
Staying true to that Lawful Evil alignment, I see.
>>
>>376057058
Do they censor it in anyway? Or do they put it in as is like that one guy with the autistic furry thing in Undertale?
Like could I buy the name and backstory one and then have them put in Hitler and his backstory about how he a good boy, a painter, he dindu nuffin?
>>
>>376070085
>I think Dwarf fortresslooks anything more than dogshit.
wew lad
>>
I like it alot.

It isnt anywhere near as depthful as DF, but it's also not anywhere near as frustrating to play.

It's shallower and easier and there's just so much less bullshit to deal with, that I honestly prefer to DF now.
>>
>>376071753
>alot
>reddit spacing
>>>/out/
>>
>>376071753
>It isnt anywhere near as depthful as DF
Ever tried hardcore SK?
It adds a lot of depth. Single/auto/burst fire on weapons, multiple ammo types (and ammo management), lots more crafting, upgrading, farming and so on. Plants die during winter like in DF.
>>
>>376061127
>roads going into the ocean
TYNAN YOU FUCKING HACK
>>
>>376071903

I havent heard of it, but even with a million mods, the game will never have the depth of DF, just because of its basic setup.

The best thing about DF is the random generation of everything. You really cant do that well with sprited mobs.

You never know what you're going to face in DF

In rimworld you know hostiles are going to be one of 4 things
>>
>>376056515
>con
its not dwarf fortress
>pro
its not dwarf fortress

yes.
>>
>>376072115
HCSK is definitely more complex than vanilla DF. Probably not as autistic as Masterwork, though. It also adds a lot more traps, a dozen turrets like autocannons, chainguns, machine guns that require a unit to operate instead of just being automatic, upgraded implants to turn your people into full cyborgs. Also bots that can do simple jobs like hauling and cleaning. Mobile AI which is like a manufactured villager. New storage types that can store multiple items on a single tile. And a bunch of other shit. It's a TON of content.

And DF doesn't have randomly generated species. You have orcs, elves, goblins, etc. I know there's a unit generator if you play modded, but it's not that great either.
>>
>>376072206
i couldn't put it better myself honestly, that exactly what rimworld is
>>
It's fun but still very new so the long term content is a bit iffy, the main drawback to playing vanilla is the AI just kinda throws random things at you without making much sense. Mods add a lot as time goes on so it's pretty fun. My personal favorite is trying to find places with average temps in the -abillion range and trying to make a colony there work.

In time the game will be pretty darn good as long as the dev keeps churning out updates, with more random events, more biomes/enemies/creatures and some sort of extra endgame possibilities like leaving to other planets or even alien planets the game will really take off.

>>376072115
>You really cant do that well with sprited mobs.

I really hate this meme, please stop saying this, adding any form of sprites or graphics to DF is not an impossibility and having ascii art does not make it better.
>>
>>376072613
>And DF doesn't have randomly generated species.

>I havent played the game in like 5 years but im going to comment on its mechanics
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.