[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's happening! On a real note, who gives a shit? Almo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 589
Thread images: 62

File: Capture.png (672KB, 614x913px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
672KB, 614x913px
It's happening!

On a real note, who gives a shit?
Almost every single english VA in vidya is awful.

Source: http://nichegamer.com/2015/10/video-game-voice-actor-union-authorizes-strike/
>>
>On a real note, who gives a shit?

The people who actually make the decisions when it comes to making videogames.
>>
fuck them tbh
>>
Fucking awesome. Replace them all with Japs and just use subtitles.
>>
>Giving a fuck about people who sit down in a chair and read paragraphs and grunt and scream

Never had a memorable voice in video games and I couldn't care. Only memorable voice I ever recall is KUSSIN NIIKO. VAs are not hard to find and people will do it for cheaper than any of them.
>>
Why does /v/ hate this so much?

>What about the programmers and stuff? They should get something!

Then the programmers and stuff should go on strike. Just because voice actors are doesn't mean everyone else can't.

Honestly, the entire video game industry is twisted from top to bottom. A step in the right direction is a step in the right direction, regardless of where it starts.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (115KB, 1199x631px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
115KB, 1199x631px
>>312387669
>VAs want residuals
>>
>>312387669
>english VA is shit meme

I dont care about voice actors cause fuck games with any dialogue, but stop shitposting OP and kill yourself.
>>
>>312387902
Best case scenario.

The opposite side of the spectrum is a few projects get canned because it's too expensive to hire a bunch of talentless hacks.
>>
get rid of these fucking vermin

end shit VA in video games NOW
>>
>>312388062
They're against anyone who poses a thread to video games.
If programmers were on strike, they'd call them out on that too saying only designers matter.
/v/ is a shithole.
>>
>>312388080
>everything i dislike is a meme

Kill yourself.
>>
File: 0 F's.jpg (18KB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
0 F's.jpg
18KB, 250x205px
>>312387669
That previous report that was linked in that dude's articles about video game devs thought about the strike, damn.

>“Drop them all,” said one developer. “I couldn’t give less of a shit who the actors are that perform game voices. These people are nuts. They already get too much money for what is arguably a pretty easy gig. We’re working years on single projects for, if we are lucky, fair salaries.”

>“The problem us devs have is that they are asking for royalties for a day or a week of work when devs work on titles for 2-5 years and get none,” said another developer. “Every few years they do this and re-learn that they aren’t that special,” said another developer.

>“And the ONE guy that gets all the jobs so ‘narrative designers’ can jerk off to meeting him,” said another developer.

>One developer responded to a fan saying they want higher rewards for voice talent, while also questioning whether or not underpaid developers could strike as well. “Devs can’t strike. There’s a much higher supply of potential devs than jobs. A dev strike would be met with a wave of goodbye. There’s nothing so special about certain voice actors that I can’t live without.”

>Finally, another developer recanted a bygone time in which game developers got back more from the games they helped create. “There was a time when devs used to get royalties… and you worked your ass off in the hope that when the game made it big you would see a nice pay day. Now, seems that game development is like a labor camp where no matter how hard you work you will never get a big reward for your efforts.”
>>
>>312388050
>tfw college student
>tfw would totally voice a unique character in a game for less than half of what these fucks already get
The industry will most likely tell them to fuck off, and then infighting will start in the union.
>>
>>312387902
>>312388140
So do you guys just not actually play video games or what?

Most games these days rely on voice acting to relay information without breaking the flow of the game. Do you really want to be playing an FPS or TPS where they stop everything for ten minutes so text boxes can pop up? That shit was fine fifteen years ago but it doesn't fly now.
>>
>>312388050
>Never had a memorable voice in video games
You must not play many video games then mang.
Still, VA'ing does go farther than that.
Go watch the documentary on Netflix.
>John Dimaggio will die in your lifetime
>>
>>312388182
I don't believe you honestly fucking believe that. Get over yourself
>>
>>312388291
>Most games these days
I don't play MOST games these days. Those I do, are not enhanced by voiceovers and I actually get a little sad when certain ones have English VAs and not just subtitles on the original deliveries.
>>
>>312387669
>stunt pay
what
>>
oh no, what will we do without all 6 VAs? No one can replace troy baker and tara strong.

The only VAs that deserve high pay are the ones that dark souls use
>>
>>312388078
before actual developers
I hope this just makes every studio use Legend of Zelda style BLOOBLAHGABAGABA speech and use dialog instead of actual speech.
>>312388062
Voice actors are going on strike because they are so fucking delusional to think people buy games for their voice acting or this voice acting is what people take away from a game like Grand Theft Auto 5. They already get paid, maybe they should get better contracts and upfront pay instead of fucking residuals.

>>312388291
In an FPS or TPS I wouldn't give a shit about character dialog exchange, especially inbetween cutscenes. If no voice acting means no more slow-walk-and-talk sections than THANK FUCKING GOD.
>>
>>312388291
>FPS or TPS
>>>/out/
>>
>Voice actors get the most budget out of any one else in the industry
>Some how they still cry about not getting paid enough
>>
>>312388182

Are you retarded?

/v/ has people who have actually made games and are currently making games. What part do you think they'd say actually matters?

Hint: it isn't the voice acting. It's their programming.
>>
>>312388291
you slow or something?
>>
Just means lots of non-Union VAs will get their chance.

Fun Fact: Steve Blum did Cowboy Bebop when he wasn't as non Union.
>>
>>312388184
>“The problem us devs have is that they are asking for royalties for a day or a week of work when devs work on titles for 2-5 years and get none

This doesn't sound like a problem we should get riled up at VAs for. This sounds like a problem we should get riled up at PUBLISHERS for. VAs should get royalties. Developers should get royalties. It's not a competition between the two.
>>
>>312388456
>slow-walk-and-talk sections
god this shit is the worst
>>
>>312388291
No. Studios will just hire the thousands of people hoping to break into VA. Expect to see a surge of shit literally whos. No one cares about these shits, they're hurting themselves.
>>
>>312387669

Good riddance. This will result in more localizations, more profitable development, and fewer normies in gaming.
>>
>>312388062

Because VA pay is shit no matter if it's a cartoon, game or movie. Either they come crawling back or game studios really desperate for VA will find newer, cheaper talent.

It's the same thing with why programmers don't protest for their shit pay only 10 fold since programmer get treated and general paid even worse.
>>
>>312388291
And those games are shit. Who cares about them? The less English voice acting of the current caliber, the better. Cheap shitty VAs shouldn't be hired for a game they expect me to spend 60$ on + DLC
>>
>>312388513
Steve Blum mostly does anime as non-union. I'm pretty sure a lot of people do anime as non-union. Mainly because I don't think the union would even let you do anime to begin with.
>>
>>312388291
"Most games" that rely on that stuff these days, like Call of Duty or Bethesda, try to get A-list REAL actors who are unaffected by this, then just fill in the rest with the production staff.
Nothing of note will be affected by this. Just the weeb stuff that all the people who buy it complain about it being dubbed in the first place.
>>
>>312387669
>Almost every single english VA in vidya is awful.

Kill yourself weeb.
>>
>literally get paid more than the guy who actually MAKES the game to sit and do a few one-liners and specific grunts
>be little bitches

It's like being a fag or a bitch, nothing will ever be good enough for them.
>>
>>312388494
In Japan maybe. VAs generally get paid pennies everywhere else.
>>
Voice acting killed modern games. It's a massive waste of money that should be used on more important elements of the game for something that can't possibly convey as much as the written word can. I hope this is the end for them but I'm not holding out much hope.
>>
Why use a picture of Brutal Legend? Jack Black isn't exactly a prime time voice actor.
>>
0 fucks given.

The difference between an AWESOME voice actor and some wannabe actor you grabbed from a alleyway theatre is negligible.

This is like those kids that pack groceries going on strike. Who the fuck cares.
>>
>>312387902
>Replace them all with Japs and just use subtitles.

But that's only for games that need dubs you realize?
>>
>>312388291
>voice actors will be forbidden to do their work voicing game characters

how are they going to enforce this, im sure companies wouldnt mind, paying out a little extra cash in exchance for voice actors not being mentioned in the credits or replaced with a developer name
>>
>>312388686
>text is more extensive than voice
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>312388741
For those that don't, just drop VA. I can't think of any games I like that would suffer.
>>
File: latest[2].gif (107KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].gif
107KB, 256x192px
>Specifically toward EA and Activision

as faggy as VAs are,, I can honestly believe EA and Activision would shortchange them compared to other companies. I'd rather them just specifically strike companies that are assholes instead of the industry
>>
>>312388686
I agree somewhat, but advertising costs have fucked up more games than voice acting every line in a game.
>>
>>312388456

Oh, I'm hoping Devs go old school and assign a musical instrument for each character, like old-school disney animations.

Like Peter and the Wolf.
>>
>>312388184

>waaah we're to beta to unionise so other people can't

Devs should man up and do the same thing.
>>
>>312388815
>wah we want more money
>no
>WAHH WE WANT MORE MONEY
>fine here's a little bit, now get back to work
>WE DID IT WOOOO

And then we all go back to shitposting.
>>
>>312387669

I'm genuinely surprised they authorized the strike.

I don't think game publishers are going to be as adverse to using non-union labor as the TV networks or movie studios might be. And I very much doubt they are going to agree to royalties or residuals, their role is just too fucking small to warrant it.
>>
>>312387669
>hate the boner games have for cutscenes and long monologues
>get interrupted every 30 seconds by a conversation
>all those wacky randum characters that need to whip out a shitty joke every time you pass by them

For the love of god, just throw all the VAs in a fire. Just give me text that I can skip or at least keep the voice acting to when actually talk to someone and not over the entire game every 10 steps
>>
Never had a game ruined with no voice acting. Can't say the other way around.

Get rid of them. I'll read popup text all day with the occasional grunts and chuckle and shit.
>>
>>312388671
>literally get paid more than the guy who actually MAKES the game

Define "The guy who makes the game".

Do you mean the director of the project? The Hideo Kojimas of the world? Then hell no.
Do you mean the code monkies and level/senario designers? Then their singular checks are larger, true, but proportionally, those people get paid more than VAs do, AND 95% of them are salaried, so they get paid whether they work or not.

In fact, really, the only people who get paid less than VAs in game development is QA, which also sucks, but is an entirely separate ball of wax.
>>
File: 1442120186004.jpg (139KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1442120186004.jpg
139KB, 640x360px
>>312387669
>voice actor claims to be underpaid for their services
>dev team fires them and hires someone who will not only work for less but do mo-cap as well

and nothing of value was lost
>>
File: 1438725135014.jpg (7KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
1438725135014.jpg
7KB, 189x266px
>mfw Fallout 4
>>
>companies like atlus finally stop doing shitty dubs and just release games with subs since it's cheaper than overpaying hack voice actors
>everyone wins

Please let this happen
>>
>>312388291
>without breaking the flow of the game
>having to listen to some bitch I don't care about point out obvious shit, make some 'clever' quip, or state something about the story that can be easily conveyed in several other ways
You're a huge faggot and I hate everything about you.
>>
>>312387669
I hope they all rot in hell.
>>
>>312387669
Except for Strategy part, this game was great
>>
>>312388685
Japanese voice actors probably make even less money than western from their actual job, considering they work through overbearing talent agencies. Being a voice actor in japan is mostly about being recognizable and then selling your image/singing/selling cosmetics and shitting out drama CDs.
>>
>>312388291
So they'd have to depend less on set-pieces and blather and spend more time on gameplay? That's a tragic.
>>
If you've ever played a NISA/KT/Xseed/etc dubbed game, chances are you played a game with non-union VAs/union VA's acting under a false name.

Not so horrible, was it?
>>
I'd rather some random dudes in the dev team get picked to voice characters.
Those are the best VAs
>>
>>312387669
>VA's have a union
Then why are english VA's so shit?
>>
>>312389062
>that's a

why is Mario a game critic
>>
>>312387669
Bring in the non-unionized dub studios, and non-USA based dub companies. Canada has plenty of people they can get to pull off voices just as well as 90% of the big name VAs, and the recent surge in British stage actors busting their chops in gaming in the past few years showcases you DO NOT need LA talent to have a good performance.

The market is global now due to the advancements in digital communication, as well as the entry barrier for studio grade equipment being lowered. Just do like every other sector and outsource it, save some money in the end, and put a stop to having to force us to hear Troy Baker and others half-assing their lines all the time.
>>
File: voiceactingisexpensive.png (1017KB, 1200x880px) Image search: [Google]
voiceactingisexpensive.png
1017KB, 1200x880px
>>312389058
Japanese voice acting actually pays. They also have way more people in the industry and the actually write scripts for a specific voice. They just put more effort forth over all.
>>
>>312388987
Weeb games are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to voice acting, stop being a fucking retard, nothing will happen.
>>
File: 1443674237416.gif (719KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1443674237416.gif
719KB, 480x320px
>mfw no shitty dubs in my japanese games
>mfw Persona 5
>>
>>312389108
Indie VA are the best
>Jeanette from Vampire the Masquerade
>>
>>312387669
>Nichegamer
Fuck off gator
>>
>>312389145
Because they have a union
>>
>>312389108
>I have never played a game made before 2001

That's exactly what they did back then. It wasn't good.
>>
>>312389154
>British VAs
Please no, there's only so many generic cockney and posh characters I can take.
That's all they ever get fucking cast as.
>>
>>312389218

It was just fine.
>>
>>312389058

Just like musicians, tv shows, anime, movies, etc. You don't make the money on the primary market anymore. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
File: 1442263930874.jpg (29KB, 197x190px) Image search: [Google]
1442263930874.jpg
29KB, 197x190px
>no more voice actors

What a shame, it's not like I only play hipster games that have limited to no voice acting.

Barring Witcher 3 I can't think of one game this year that I would say was improved by having voice acting.

jrpgs especially
>instantly turn on subtitles
western voice actors a shit in jrpgs
>>
>>312388987
It's not cheaper depending on licensing fees
Atlus is a company of jews, you really think they wouldn't just release subs if they could? Fuck, they'd release it with no translation if you'd let them
>>
File: 1442709437599.jpg (170KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1442709437599.jpg
170KB, 500x500px
>What We Stand For
>>Stunt Coordinator on Performance Capture Volume

>Many actors feel unsafe without a stunt coordinator because they are often asked to do things that could potentially be dangerous to themselves or others. For example, once, without a stunt coordinator on set, a video game developer tried to do a wire pull - which means he basically made himself jerk really hard and fast across a room - without someone on set to monitor his safety. He, of course, got hurt and couldn’t go back to work for a long while. This is just one instance among many.

>Stunt coordinators also help train actors how to fight, do stunts and combat and perform motion capture properly so they look more realistic in the game.

Also can anyone find a list of on-board VA's? Can't find shit
>>
>>312388617
VA pay is shit but they don't deserve royalties when the devs who put far more time and effort into the product can't even get royalties anymore, just a flat rate from the publisher with various contractual incentives.
>>
i want to make a Nolan North joke but can't think of anything good.

seriously who cares. there are literally like three game series ever made (MGS, Hitman, TF2) where the VAs actually mattered at all, and two of them have already passed the point of no return in breaking from the legacy VAs (MGS with Haytergate, TF2 as necessity from all the actors being old as shit and retiring/dying left and right). Hitman keeps going strong with Bateman. Half-Life will definitely qualify if and when Valve ever does bring it back, with key characters GLaDOS, G-Man, and Alyx.
>>
>>312389193
Not happening, Atlus and the like will get still get their games dub, even if they can't get their normal VAs for some retarded reason, they will just get some nobody. Stop being an idiot and realized that these fags are going after AAA shitters and their anime dubs are all non-union.
>>
>>312389218
>having shit taste
>>
>>312388602
>Studios will just hire the thousands of people hoping to break into VA.

Not if they're part of the union.

And if they're not part of the union, they'll be branded as scabs for the rest of their career.
>>
>>312389265

Well, if american VAs start to get pissy, lots of new roles will open.
>>
>>312387669
It's not like I needed voice actors to read out lines or messages for me anyway.
>>
All the more reason my weeb games will ignore dubbing and just use the japanese audio. i couldnt ask for anything better. no more ashley burch in my anime
>>
>>312389190
>Animator
>Less than 10k a year

Jesus fucking christ. I sit at a desk all day testing office printers and I get 17k a year. Why would anyone ever want to be an animator in the anime industry?
>>
>>312389190
it only pays for A listers, most cant live off it
>>
>>312389345

The funny part is AAA games will just go professional, hollywood actors that don't care about residuals.

I can't really think of who's elbow the VAG thinks they're bending, aside from their own.

I mean, I support unions, but this is a dumb move.
>>
>>312388686

Don't forget that it's the cause of shit like F4's dialogue wheel instead of more extensive text choices.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 300x230px
>go on strike
>immediately get replaced by one of the hundreds upon hundreds of amateur voice actors trying to make a break in the industry for a fraction of what you were getting paid
>>
>>312389318
The wording is confusing here. Was a voice actor hurt or a game developer?
>>
>>312388542
> VAs should get royalties

For something they worked for 2-3 weeks, in a game that needed 3 years to be made?

No they don't.
>>
>>312389190
>Japanese voice acting actually pays
If you're famous
>>
>>312387669
>demanding recording sessions
How the FUCK can a recording session be demanding?
You stand in a room, and talk.
What, are they going to break their vocal cords?
>>
>>312389452
Passion
>>
>>312389265
I actually love the britbong voice actor from SR series
>>
>>312389292
>>312389350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-vE5vbx04E

I'm not saying this wasn't HI-LARY-OUS, but it was pretty terrible, even then.
>>
>>312389301
You say that now, but if this amounts to something, you'll suddenly be thrown off by the lack of them &/ notice the amateurs they get.
>>312389361
Hope so.
Probably not though.
>>
Did anyone ever want to go for voice acting as a career here?
>>
>>312387669
>english
Weeb, there for faggot, detected.
No reason to listen to you.
>>
>>312389190
Mate, what you posted is not the money they are making for voice acting.
This is the money they are making from all the side jobs. The actual pay for voice acting is pretty abysmal.

http://anime.mmgn.com/Articles/Seiyuu-Spotlight-The-truth-about-seiyuu
http://www.kitakubu.co/2014/07/how-much-do-japanese-voice-actors-actress-get-paid/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2kt3el/i_just_found_out_how_little_seiyuu_are_paid_this/

>They just put more effort forth over all.
They put more effort into making money. Western voice actors expect to print money without going trough all the shitshow japanese voice actors go through and without taking a billion of extra jobs.
>>
>VAs think they are important enough to strike
They will now realize how little they matter when developers find other people to act, like actual actors.
>>
>>312387669
I've seen a ton of posts about showing support for the striking VA but I'm kinda wondering if there's any way to show support to the game companies/devs? Like, let them know the consumer generally doesn't give a fuck about the terrible english VA and that the companies should probably just tell them to go ahead, keep on striking, and come back when there are reasonable demands (or, you know, just not come back at all)
>>
>>312389452
>>312389452
because thats the closest you can get to professionally touching your waifus pantys
>>
>>312387669
I said it before and I'll say it again.

Unions are a cancer to anything and only serves to protect bad workers.
>>
>>312389530
Can I eat that?
>>
>>312389318

Majority of what they ask for isn't that bad, in fact I'm surprised that shit like having no stunt cordinators appears to be a common thing.
>>
>>312389518
Bait
>>
>remove ENG VA
>Give native VA + sub

About time they got rid of those greedy, "I deserve 1m per line" fags that suck at voice acting.
>>
>>312389518
You actually think vocal cords can't be damaged?
>>
>>312389518

90% of their demands are bullshit, but that's almost reasonable. Those combat grunts have to come from somewhere, and after doing an hours worth of takes on them, your voice can get pretty shot.
>>
>>312389470
>The funny part is AAA games will just go professional, hollywood actors that don't care about residuals.

They're in the same union, buddy.
>>
>>312389530
Move to Canada. Make episodes of Johnny Test for 20k+
>>
>contractors go on strike
dude what

1. dev gets a quote from VA or his agent
2. dev decides wether or not he'll pick this over the competition

if they stop sending in contracts they'll just give the jobs to different VAs that don't give a fuck.
>>
>VA's going on strike

What could possibly go wrong?:^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bangt7d9vGA
>>
>>312389058
>Being a voice actor in japan is mostly about being recognizable and then selling your image/singing/selling cosmetics and shitting out drama CDs.

Well no shit? Welcome to every single entertainment industry! Why are people acting surprised about this? It's not like buskers or painters have some union they go on strike with etc, these idiot VA's don't know what their profession even is anymore

>>312389452

Why would anyone want to be a programmer in the game industry?
Passion for the hobby medium.
>>
>>312389470

Yeah look how well that turned out.
>>
>>312389628
Don't bother with shitposters.
>>
voice actors ARE shit, since half of them are animu dubbers, too

maybe the normie scum will fuck off to do something else with the dubbers on strike since they're fucking illiterates who need JOHNNY FUCKING BOSCH AND CRISPIN FREEMAN to voice everything. I wouldn't call it acting since they don't--voice dubbers just show up, rattle off their lines and then whine about how they deserve residuals for their 4 hours of BIG and HARD work in a sound booth. Maybe the fucking sound technician behind the glass deserves royalties, too?
>>
So sick of these shitcunts being the only voices anyone ever gets to hear in any game.
>>
>>312389501
The developer, but it shows the work environmental hazards in question.
>>
>>312389639
>an hour
>of making noises
What a fucking baby
>>
File: 1365717877725.gif (290KB, 307x270px) Image search: [Google]
1365717877725.gif
290KB, 307x270px
>royalties, residuals, and stunt pay for more demanding recording sessions
Oh, fuck right off you egotistical cunts.
>>
>>312389481
>>immediately get replaced by one of the hundreds upon hundreds of amateur voice actors trying to make a break in the industry for a fraction of what you were getting paid

Oh yeah, great idea, break into the industry by being a scab.

You'll be blacklisted by the union.
>>
>>312389745
Scream for an hour straight and get back to us.
>>
>>312387669
Its good. You know how hard it is to get work as a VA? I'm just as good as some better than most maybe I'll get a job.
>>
>>312389758
the union for contractors? lmao dude
>>
> People claim that devs will just bring in cheaper and better people when they go on strike

If they can do that, why haven't they already done that?
>>
>>312389758

Union VAs already take scab work under false names, how the heck are they going to get caught?
>>
>>312389587
No, but passion has the tendency to overwrite your concern for money.
>>
>>312389717

An exception. I could then point out Keith David in Saints Row 4, Kevin Spacey in Advanced Warfare and even Sutherland in MGS5.

They work just fine, might ask for a bigger pay, but don't give a shit about residuals. Once and done.
>>
>>312389535
That shit adds a campy charm to it and makes it memorable.
>>
>>312389193
I fucking wish, but there's no way Atlus will do it or give us dual audio. I'll be forced to import a copy for that sweet JP AAA cast.
>>
>>312387669
i could give a shit if its the latino dub team ubisoft have, i swear is the only good thing they do for being a shit company.
>>
>>312389758
If you're good enough, you can negotiate your contract each role and not even need a union to guarantee you shit.
All it takes is one good role and you're there.
>>
>>312388380
So why do you care at all about voice acting? It sounds to me like you are not interested in anything but weebshit games, so you will be unaffected by any of this. Would having weeb dialogue in a Western-made FPS make you more interested in it? I do not think so.
>>
>>312389827
unrealistic answer: because the more expensive VAs are worth it
realistic answer: they have an alright budget to spend on voice acting and they always spend all of it
>>
File: 1417551149733.jpg (87KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1417551149733.jpg
87KB, 719x719px
>>312389079
Most anons will tell you all dubs are shit but I personally wouldn't mind non-union VAs getting all of the work if the protest ends up backfiring on the unionized guys.
>>
>>312389812

You are not going to break into the industry without joining the union and the union is not going to let you join if you crossed the picket line.
>>
>>312389827
/v/ BTFO
>>
>>312388412
Extra pay if you are doing a DBZ game.
>>
>>312387669
Striking should be illegal. There's about a trillion other people that can do your fucking job and you dare ask for more. Goddamned communists.
>>
>>312389896
How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h4Vt8MR8NY
>>
>>312389827

It already does
>>
File: undertale.png (3KB, 635x483px) Image search: [Google]
undertale.png
3KB, 635x483px
Reminder that a game made by a single young man in his early twenties became a huge critical and financial success and got to the top of metacritic without any twitter political dramawhoring, overblown kickstarters, endless delays, big celebrity/industry names, DLC, early access shit, OR any fucking voice acting.
>>
>>312389203
Grey Delisle is hardly an 'Indie' VA.
>>
>>312389827
Dealing with the union gives you a bunch of people at once to do all the roles, going non-union means you have to find the people for it. Its more time consuming.
>>
>>312389860

When those voice actors get caught, and it does happen, they either pay a fine or get kicked out.

That's how the unions work.
>>
>>312389896
It's terrible. Also campy voice acting isn't going to benefit any game that isn't trying to be over-the-top.
>>
Maybe with the lack of VA people would actually pay attention to ingame text.
>>
>>312389968
hahaha
it's hilarious that you think an union has any importance whatsoever in contractor business. they're just there to leech off the retards who think an union will magically benefit them.
>>
>>312389808
get a real job and get back to me
It wont be an hour long
>>
>>312387669
>mfw due to today's culture all of game companies will give in to them
>these will increase game prices even more
>there will be more DLC for more "serious" "funny" or even "pure artistic quality" voice acting for the game.
>>
>>312389860
>>312389915

So what's the point of the Union anyways if it doesn't fucking do anything?
>>
>>312387669
>Article about VA strike
>Uses Jack black game
Top kek
>>
>>312390047
Correct. She's unionized and part of the strike.
>>
They really shouldn't have demanded royalties even though they obviously don't expect to get any and are just using it as a chip to negotiate for something more reasonable - it's fucking disrespectful to developers to even demand it and has gained them nothing except the enmity of people who would have otherwise been much more sympathetic. It's a really stupid mistake on their part.
>>
>>312390007
>Striking should be illegal.

They tried that once.
A few times, actually, across history.
One of the most notable was called the Soviet Union. That ended well.
>>
>>312390007
Unions being outdated swindlers are the problem, not strikes
>>
All this does is give non union voice actors a chance to get a foot in the door, with less pay, and you swear that's not happening.
>>
The entire idea of a strike is insane.
>have a job
>happy with it
>some other faggot isn't
>I am forced to leave said job and face possible termination, against my will
>If I refuse I am blacklisted for life from my profession
Amazing
>>
>>312389936
If nothing else, new terrible actors would be a briefly refreshing change of pace from the usual terrible actors.
>>
>>312390059

Obviously the fine must be fucking shit since I hear the same goddamn voices every single NISA game
>>
>>312390007
> Striking should be illegal.
Jesus Christ, can you suck that corporate dick any harder? I'm going to assume you don't think stuff like working environment law should be made illegal as well?
>>
>>312387669
Funny thing is, I really doubt Jack Black is a member of this union.
>>
>>312387669
I hope they get reamed up the ass by scabs
>>
>>312390108

I don't think you understand, there's a lot of places, pretty much all the major producers, that just won't hire non-union workers because the unions will cut them off for it.

Why do you think the writers guild strike worked?
>>
>>312390057
It's downright illegal to employ people solely because they're part of a union.
>>
>>312390237
>Wil Wheaton was one of the key striker
>Someone nobody thinks of in terms of being a voice actor
>Wesley wouldn't shut up and now the game industry is going to become even shitty
>>
>>312387669
So when is the video game writers union going to authorize a strike and make video games great again?
>>
So this delays everything then.

KH3 NOT IN FOREVER-ER
>>
>>312390110
I do have a real job mang, I'm just saying.
VA'ing isn't just sitting and reciting a paragraph.
>>312390146
They guarantee you certain things, stability, and safety from being fucked.
Not being in a union is just being a blackhorse, but like I said, if you have the talent, you don't need a union.
Wish I could say that for writing though.
>>
>>312389827

Cause they have this stupid idea that consumers care about specific voices for a character when those cases are the exception.

Same reason why animated movies pick celebrity voices so they can bank on their fame to sell the movie, instead of makingt he character that fits the VA.

Dreamworks used to do that shit all the time when they started, remember Shark tale?

Stupid producers that don't understand what sells their product.
>>
>>312390395
No they finish voice recording, they just need to make the game.
>>
>>312388304
He probably only plays weebshit and doesn't actually care about any of this.

I do not support the strike however I think there are a lot of talented voice actors who I would be disappointed to not have working in games anymore. The good news is that the games industry will probably call their bluff, because voice actors are easily replaceable. There are thousands of non-union actors out there who can do the job just as well, and so the VA union is going to have to play ball with the publishers if they want to go back to work. They probably made an emotional choice to go on strike rather than a logical one.

Actors are such a tiny piece of the overall production of a video game that most people won't even notice any of the strike's effects, since games will still have voice acting (from non-union VAs), and the important things like gameplay and artistry will be completely unaffected.

If it was a programmers' or artists' strike, then there would be something to worry about, but the problem the voice actors face is that they have absolutely no leverage. Having to use non-union VAs will hardly affect the bottom line for game productions at all, and the only thing that will happen is that some game producers might not to get to use a particular VA that they like.
>>
>>312389354
>branded as scabs for the rest of their career.

whoop-dee-god-damn-do
>>
>>312389827

One /v/ is retarded. Two is connections and knowing people. The biggest reason why artists and actors end up getting jobs is both from who the know and how they act as a person. Drama queen assholes usually end up costing more money and ore problems. Yeah they may be REALLY good at their job but no one wants to spend all day with some asshole. They want someone who can take direction and understand the moment they give it and who better to understand what you are saying and trying to get at then someone who is nice and is probably a friend.
>>
Do they think they can actually win?

It's only been like the last 10-15 years where we get high quality VAs into games. I don't see why developers wouldn't just do it themselves when presented with shit like this.

Fuck, Chris Metzen already voices like 60% of the characters in the warcraft universe.
>>
>>312390419
I never thought Will Smiths 15 minutes would end.
I-I kinda miss it
>>
>>312388291
>not being able to read faster than people talk
what a fucking pleb I zoom through conversation so usually only 1/4th of it is said anyway and it pisses me off to no end if I cant skip to the next sentence/paragraph when people are talking

not to mention I hate fucking 90% of shooters and its not like you cant hire a literally literal who to say some lines and pay them chump change
>>
>>312390146
The point of all unions, to protect the workers if the employers try to be slave drivers or fuck them over. The issue is that this isn't the fucking '20s, and that shit doesn't happen nearly as much now.
Basically they're needed but they don't amount to much until people in the union think they need more money.
>>
Im really torn

I want voice actors to be paid because they are a major part of the game

But I also dont wanna hear Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, Nolan North, Cam Clarke etc etc's voice ever again. I want new blood
>>
>>312390338
you have a really weird fantasy delusion about unions.

They don't do shit, especially in a contractor business. Them authorizing a strike is as good as me offering my personal opinion on the strike. They have absolutely zero influence on the VA industry because everyone but the VAs ignore them
>>
>>312390182
And now Russia is one step closer to being a shit stain without Putin preventing Russia becoming another third world country.

>>312390264
There are regular laws to protect that so you don't need Unions. All Unions do is protect the bad workers and prevent companies from firing bad workers as well.
>>
File: 1368821111540.jpg (157KB, 550x660px) Image search: [Google]
1368821111540.jpg
157KB, 550x660px
Reminder that with the explosion of streaming and widespread availability of subs more than ever before, and a number of series garnering huge western fanbases (even amongst normies) before any localization companies gets their grubby hands on a shitty halfassed dub for it, shows that dubbing is on it's way out and is becoming a more and more irrelevant and alien concept to new people getting into anime, unlike when people had to watch dubbed anime on TV in the toonami days.

It'll happen to videogames too, especially now with everyone already knowing everything about games like P5, #FE, and even Xenoblade months before "official english news/releases" are available. People will get used to not having to rely on the same 3 shitty dub voices. There'll still be english dubs - for those few crazies who want to pay extra for them.

That's just my little fantasy, of course.

>>312390059

And how much did Steve Blum get fined? Everybody knows he's done Spike.
>>
VAs want gibs me dat. What else is new?
>>
>>312390059

>Not part of union.
>Do jobs that aren't part of union.
>get caught by union.
>Get kicked out of something you where never in to start with.

Also if they can get work once that means they can get it again.
>>
>>312388184
Are these devs really that beta?

The video gaming industry us complete ass career wise.
>>
File: 1299872406326.jpg (28KB, 273x240px) Image search: [Google]
1299872406326.jpg
28KB, 273x240px
Why can't companies do something like Rockstar does?

Hire fans of the games and pay them in peanuts for the work
>>
>>312390540
>The point of all unions, to protect the workers if the employers try to be slave drivers or fuck them over.

Then how come so many they do work outside of the union all the fucking time, then
Must be so hard for them...
>>
>>312390514
>>312390419
Finding Nemo was just a bad movie. It had nothing to do with with Will Smith.
>>
>>312390497
>If it was a programmers' or artists' strike, then there would be something to worry about,
Eh, EA among others would rejoice as they could outsource everything to Indians and other shitskin CS majors.
>Having to use non-union VAs will hardly affect the bottom line for game productions at all
For the AAA it certainly will, which will be interesting to watch.
>>
File: 1444018729312.png (40KB, 655x557px) Image search: [Google]
1444018729312.png
40KB, 655x557px
>>312388291
>most games
>>
>>312390556
>Cam Clarke
He hasn't really done any major game stuff lately tbh, i kinda miss him, but anyways the problem is for the most part the new blood is god awful, like Ashly Burch or Kira Buckland (Rina-Chan)
>>
>>312390338
You really can't compare VA's to writers.
>>
This all started with Hayter being a bitch after he got fired from Snake's voice right?
>>
I hope this means WRPGs won't ruin my immersion by having the king and lowly bandit voiced by the same guy with the same enunciation. I miss the talking heads for special NPCs like in Fallout.
>>
>>312390671
Have you ever played Chaos Wars? The guy got his friends and family to do the VA and man was the game a disaster.
>>
So, how can I profit on this?
How do I go about becoming a scab and taking VA jobs during this strike?
>>
People actually think something as ridiculously unimportant as the voice actor's union does shit?

Every single industry has an union, very very few actually have any influence on the industry. Mostly they're just bottom-of-the-barrel leeches making money off of gullible bottom-of-the-barrel people in the industry.
>>
>>312390685
I liked it despite it being pretty dumb and Willy's obnoxious "not ghetto, but just black enough for the white people to oggle at" voice
>>
>>312390674
Because being part of the union also means they're forced to do the work the union picks for them. So they just sign under a different name and bam, loophole. It's so fucking stupid.
>>
File: ewceaczxo2pgcd45fhau.jpg (197KB, 1440x732px) Image search: [Google]
ewceaczxo2pgcd45fhau.jpg
197KB, 1440x732px
Where would games be without voice acting!?
>>
>>312390779
But that was two years ago. Just because he's been bitching about it for this long doesn't mean this is because of him.
>>
>>312390792

You don't because there's more talented people than you that will scab the instant this strike happens. Nobody needs your untrained voice.

Not to mention that half the usual suspects will probably scab under false names anyway.
>>
File: 1399413285805.jpg (65KB, 552x704px) Image search: [Google]
1399413285805.jpg
65KB, 552x704px
>>312387669
>stunt pay
>for talking in a mic
>>
File: 87c.jpg (20KB, 478x373px) Image search: [Google]
87c.jpg
20KB, 478x373px
>>312390264
I think he's merely bait anon. More specifically, he's pretending to be an actual corporation.
>>
>>312390859

But if the union is protecting workers from horrible work conditions, yet they're willingly choosing those work conditions all the time of their own free will, how horrible even is it?

Even if this union strike demands new shit, guess what, all these union VA's will still be working non-union jobs and still be working under the old conditions

This whole shit is pointless isn't it
>>
File: 1438476012138.png (451KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1438476012138.png
451KB, 499x499px
>mfw working on a text only game
>>
Y'know where Yuri Lowenthal and Steve Blum are during this? Still working on some of the most esteemed projects in the world because voice actors are replaceable and bitching about it will get the VAU nowhere lol
>>
>>312388184
>Devs complain about VAs
>Look at all recent games
>Bug filled garbage and cut content
>Only decent parts are audio, including voice acting
>>
>>312390792
Buy a decent microphone.
Print out or put up all your favorite segments in whatever.
practice.
practice.
practice.
then send out demos to positions.
Also volunteer your voice to shitty indie games.
>>
>>312390779
I don't think that is possible, most of his whinny tweets were pretty cringe worthy to most people I would think. He just stuck himself onto this movement(like a leech) after it started to gain some steam.
>>
File: 1417074697633.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1417074697633.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
BACK TO GORDON/ISAAC SILENT PROTAGANISTS AND CHRONO CROSS STYLE TEXT DIALOGUES!

FUCK YEAH
>>
>>312390753

SAG-AFTRA is not just a VA union.

It's a mega-union that pretty much encompasses everything to do with media in America. Film, TV, radio, everything.
>>
>>312390685

Shark Tale, anon. But having Will Smith also DIDN'T sell the game.

A good animated movie sells itself by its story and writing. A good VA certainly helps, but they aren't the sell point.

Did you watch EPIC? Beyonce was in it. How about Turbo with Ryan Reynolds and Snoopy Snoop Dogg?

Epic barely broke even on the US and Turbo didn't even reach 85 million domestically out of its 135 million budget. They both recouped through international sales, but those have NOTHING to do with VA, since each other non-english country have local VAs
>>
File: 83653685.jpg (14KB, 473x333px) Image search: [Google]
83653685.jpg
14KB, 473x333px
>>312388542
Doesn't change the fact that VAs are demanding special treatment that is not being given to anyone else in the production. If developers had enough leverage to demand royalties they would have done it a long time ago, but that is simply not the economics of the games industry. Everyone wants to be a game developer because it's their dream job, which means that everyone in the field has to either get shit pay or risk being downsized.

The VAs are simply being entitled, and that's not a word I use lightly. They look at how movie stars get treated and they see themselves as gaming's equivelent, and they don't understand why they don't get the kind of royal treatment that movie stars get. They do not appreciate that game developers work long, hard hours for 2-5 years per project.

"Game developers should get royalties too!" is no excuse for the VA union thinking that they deserve priority. Someone in the union has to have looked at the condition of game developers and thought "I guess they're not important enough to go on strike. Good thing we are, though!", because otherwise they would not be striking.
>>
>>312391031
I wonder what bloomy and friends think of this.
>>
>>312387669
3 options:
>Do some animal crossing shit
>Hire non-union workers who are cheaper
>If you're a japanese company try to keep only one language if nothing special stops you, otherwise just suck it up
>>
>>312387669
>voice actors wanting fucking royalties
>ROYALTIES
>for 2 fucking days of lazy work talking into a mic

Fuck these assholes. Let's just go back to developer voice acting.
>>
>>312390779
Nope it started because Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day, somehow they riled up actual voice actors and got them to agree that shit isn't good enough
>>
>>312388291
>but it doesn't fly now

Kill yourself, underage faggot.
>>
>>312390993
As a dev for a AAA studio, they deserve more than they get for big budget titles, but residuals? Fuck off. I worked 4 years on *insert title* and I got paid salary.
>>
>>312389147
Something about your comment I found way funnier than it should have been.
>>
video games don't need voice actors
>>
>>312391039
>VA's get fired
>bunch of money freed up for development
>suddenly games are released complete and bug free
>>
>put ad in local newspaper
>need someone for 1 day's voice work
>$100 or whatever
>call 123-456-789 or whatever
>>
File: nito.jpg (90KB, 668x404px) Image search: [Google]
nito.jpg
90KB, 668x404px
>>312388449
The irony is that Dark Souls uses non-union actors, and they are better than most of the unionized VAs that I've heard in gaming.
>>
>>312390590
I believe in watching foreign media in it's native language, which means that's good for me. There's just something gross about corrupting the creative vision of a project's creator.
>>
Most gamers couldn't even name 5 voice actors. They are pretty much never used in the marketing and never even get mentioned on the box. Why would they deserve residuals?
>>
>>312390059
>>312390261
Niche studios localizing small Japanese games never get union actors... or they do but they just don't list them in the credits. Everyone knows its them because people know their voices, but they don't get the byline.
>>
>>312388291
>babby cant read
>>
>>312391082
Fallout_people_&_opinions.png
>>
>>312391163
>developer voice acting
So no more female characters?
>>
>>312390787
The dub was forced on him by higher ups, who held to the industry idea that games without dubs don't sell. He knew his target audience would all be playing in Japanese anyway, so he grabbed family and friends together to fuck around. It was a borderline joke dub without any effort put in, just to please his bosses.
>>
>>312391179
>Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day

Why am I not fucking surprised.

What is wrong with those two? Like really, there's just something off, this whiff of bullshittery and smugness, all while being "yay so nerdy and funnn :)) nice internet celebs!!". It's sickening.
>>
File: 1436935943936.gif (4MB, 280x299px) Image search: [Google]
1436935943936.gif
4MB, 280x299px
>>312387669
>2010+8-3
>Still letting unions exist post 1970's

They're nothing but blood sucking leeches that have you chip in by the twisted arm, and will red tape you to fuck and back if you ever need them to get off their asses and assess a claim or violation
>>
>>312387669
>forbidden from taking jobs
lol
>>
>>312390974
they're talking about mocap
>>
>>312390989
>This whole shit is pointless isn't it
Yeah pretty much. It's why I'm not heartbroken over all this. There are some great VAs and I'd be sad as fuck to see them go, but fuck them this is a money stunt. They've been in the biz for years and weren't starving, no reason to suddenly get hungry now.
>>
>>312391259
>video game marketing works exactly like tv and movies
>>
>>312391248
How do you know that they use non-union actors? Do they have a list of all the union actors on the union website?
>>
File: q.gif (391KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
q.gif
391KB, 300x224px
>No more ashley burch

Thank you god.
>>
>>312391320
They think the name alone is what sells the game. They are that delusional.
>>
>>312391073
I'm not saying it isn't, but television simply can't exist without writers which is not the case with VA's and video games so it's not at all the same situation.
>>
>>312391127

Steve Blum is on board with the strike.

Honestly, you are going to have a hard time finding anyone with enough self respect to turn down getting more money for doing nothing.
>>
>>312391320
Textbook narcissism
>>
>>312391082
>Doesn't change the fact that VAs are demanding special treatment that is not being given to anyone else in the production
Have you actually read their demands? Basic human safety is not "Special treatment".

And what's this bullshit about priority? Again, it's not a fucking competition.
>>
>>312390989

Companies encourage actors to do non-union work by enticing them with particularly good conditions. If there were no unions companies wouldn't do that. It's a spiral.

Also in order for unions to have any effect they need to put the good of the whole before the individual so that sometimes minority suffers (by not getting paid while striking even though they had acceptable conditions) so that everyone has a better deal in the end
>>
File: 14431556669721.jpg (114KB, 608x676px) Image search: [Google]
14431556669721.jpg
114KB, 608x676px
>>312391258
>>312390590

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao

here's how funimation decided to dub a recent show.

This is what you'll eventually run into when you rely on dubs for foreign media.
>>
>>312391548
They want stunt pay for screaming.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 800x600px
> Tony Jay will not come back to life to voice vidya in your lifetime
>>
>>312391163
So you have no idea how voice acting actually works or is performed, do you?
>>
Good, industry desperately needs some fresh talent.
>>
>>312387669
Vidya game developers and publishers I say this.

Fly me out to wherever it is lines need to be recorded and I'll do the shit for half the price these cocksuckers are currently getting.
>>
pros: Laura Bailey gets more money

cons: Ashly Burch gets more money
>>
>>312391548
When one party goes on strike, all parties in the same place get compared and suddenly it's red vs blue vs orange vs yellow.

>the next FOTM gimmick is going to be mute/deaf characters
>>
>>312391331
Unions themselves aren't bad, any institution that has too much power will become corrupt. The key is the balancing act.

Personal anecdote, my nephew needed a heart transplant and was in the hospital for several months. My sisters health insurance covered all expenses but her boss tried to get her kicked off their coverage. The union she belonged to slapped that shit down immediately.
>>
>>312391696
clyp.it some of your favorite lines right now.
>>
>>312391641
They want stunt pay for ACTUALLY PERFORMING STUNTS.
Jesus fucking christ for someone who seems to whole heartedly advocate dropping voice acting entirely, you sure can't fucking read.
>>
File: 1428275044960.jpg (25KB, 463x454px) Image search: [Google]
1428275044960.jpg
25KB, 463x454px
>>312391612
>Doing this in prison school of all series

Voice acting is terrible too.
>>
>>312391604
>particularly good conditions.

How the fuck do poor ass niche anime game dub companies give "particularly good conditions"?

>so that everyone has a better deal in the end

So then they can just go to more non-union deals, all while talking about how the union protects them. It reeks of being two-faced. "I need the union! It protects me from bad working conditions! WORKERS RIGHTS!!! WORKERS RIGHTS!!! Now excuse me while I run away from my protective union for a bit..."
>>
>>312391497

No, no. My point was so much of the industry is in the pocket of SAG-AFTRA the notion you could have a career in America as a media performer without being a member is extremely unlikely as your work options are severely limited. You are certainly never going to make it "big" without being a member.

Doing non-union work is not going to piss off the unions all that much but crossing the picket will. It's a risk to do it if you really want a career as a VA.
>>
>>312391791
>but her boss tried to get her kicked off their coverage.
Any exciting story why, or just generic kikery?
>>
>>312391179
Wil Wheaton, the fucking british nerd who voiced that annoying cocksmoking robot on Portal 2?

jesus christ
>>
>>312387669
>$200 an hour
On one hand, they do have quite a bit of practice and experience doing what they do and many of them are pretty good honestly.
On the other, this sounds more like an act of job-protection than a demand for respect.
$200 is pretty generous and movie-stars only make what they make because they have celebrity status which is a lot of weight behind selling movies sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if, without the fame, Movie stars made the same as voice-actors
>>
>>312388727
>singer
>actor
>natural VA
>>
>>312391874
What stunts would a voice actor even perform? Like hold up gotta drive this car thats on fire over a bridge and do a burnt out at the end
>>
>>312391612
I really hope shit like this becomes more common so casuals start getting into subs. At this point, Crunchyroll is the lesser of two evils.
>>
>>312391791
That can be resolved by any decent lawyer though

Meanwhile, teachers are relaxing in Intermission buildings on the peoples buck for 5+ years over molesting/beating kids or being ass bad teachers
>>
>>312391612
Wow
>>
>>312391998
Wut? That was steven merchant, Wil Wheaton is some cunt that was on stark trek and won't let people forget it, his only voice acting roll was abraham lincoln in that shitty project steam game.
>>
>>312391998
No he was wesley in star trek, you're thinking of the character's name which was Wheatley
>>
>>312392028
Motion capture.

Also there's an active example ripped straight from the list of demands right here in this very thread. See if you can find it.
>>
>>312391945
>or just generic kikery
Pretty much this. The insurance company didn't want to pay and told her boss to find a way to get her off the coverage.
America, if that wasn't obvious.
>>
>>312392054
>That can be resolved by any decent lawyer though

I know if there's one thing the american justice system is known for, it's supporting the party who's been truly wronged over the party with more money to drag the case out.
>>
>>312392023
>Jack Black hasn't stopped working for 15 years
>>312392028
Mo-Cap and voice segments that involve a lot.
>>
>>312387669
I miss the time when voice acting was done by programmers and various development staff. Even if this is true for the US, that won't stop Japanese games from hiring A-listers to bloat their budget, since Japanese voice actors are exponentially more expensive than even Unionized ones.

For fuck's sake, if they make a game about invading Russians, they should get the guys together, drink a few shots of Vodka, and do their best, most offensive Russian stereotypes.
>>
>>312391082

In the movie industry it's not the actors that do the most work hourwise either. Stop thinking that the amount of effort put = value.

In theory every single memeber of the team making a movie/game is essential, but in pratice you can easily get another editor and not suffer in terms of sales while hiring a lesser known actor will fuck you over.

It's less of an issue in VA world, but here it's a matter of competence rather than relevance. There aren't really that many good VAs for devs to be picky. It's a hard skill to learn and a risky one to even try ro learn. Most people who could be good at it get much more money and fame in Hollywood.

Becoming a dev requires time input but after a couple of years of learning you'll be decent enough for non-managerial position where you are told what to do and do it.

VA requires probably the same time input but the result is not certain. It also requires talent and after spending X years trying to become one you'll realise you suck. This is why there are much more devs to choose from than VAs. We're talking about simply competent ones of course, exceptional devs are probably as hard to find as exceptional VAs.
>>
>>312392054
Teachers unions are bloated as fuck. It is almost impossible to fire a teacher, most likely they'll just be sent to a different district.
>>
>>312392028
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbMwxs6w9A
>>
Hayter is seriously taking it too far tbh.
>>
File: 1444267314457.jpg (10KB, 174x188px) Image search: [Google]
1444267314457.jpg
10KB, 174x188px
>>312392097
>>312392105
I feel like an idiot, however thank you for not ousting me for it.
>>
>>312388062

As someone who has been programming for 3 years now. As long as I made enough wages to live in a decent apartment with good internet and A good computer. I would be pretty happy with my job...

I don't see why they should be paid more for no increase in quality when it comes to VA.

If we see a significant rise in VA quality in videogames after this then great it was worth it. But as it sounds right now it's just a bunch of whiners wanting to get paid more for the stuff they shit out now. And thats fucking stupid.
>>
>>312392028
It would probably be for mocap stuff There's a couple of side by sides of some mocapped VA scenes on youtube and it's not unreasonable to think they would want more money for doing physical acting verses just their voice. Having a stunt Coordinator is also pretty smart to ensure everything goes by as smoothly as possible and know one could get hurt. I'm against residuals though
>>
>>312391612
Dubs are for fucking entry level anime watchers anyway. If they get shit on, I really couldn't care less.
>>
>>312392152
>Any decent lawyer
>Letting a company drag ass for anything longer than a month

With the level of information nowadays, every day the Insurance doesn't settle is a day the lawyer can go to town on the media over this tragedy
>>
>>312387669
>almost every English VA is awful

Uh...
I really hope you aren't comparing them to Asian voice actors....
>>
>>312392247
Teachers are also underpaid to hell and anyone that teaches beyond elementary school is doing it for passion. And then that passion will turn into bitterness once they deal with enough shitters.
>>
>>312391331
productivity in the US has gone up just as fast as it ever has in history yet median income hasnt gone up AT ALL since 2000. Guess what that means? rich people dont want to give money to their workers so hard that even with unions it doesnt affect the median income.
>literally what is median income
I know... I know. theres kids out there that for some reason have an opinion about things that dont affect them yet.
>>
>>312388078

Actors get them, narrators for films get them. Why exactly shouldn't VAs?
>>
>>312392227

VA are not responsible for drawing in audiences to anywhere near the degree a movie actor is.

Movie actors get so much because they genuinely are that valuable to the success of a production, VA get shit because they are not.
>>
>>312391910

>How the fuck do poor ass niche anime game dub companies give "particularly good conditions"?

We paid you X before your union went on strike. We will pay you a bit more if you come back under a fake name or we'll let you phone your lines in so you don't have to travel etc.

>I need the union! It protects me from bad working conditions! WORKERS RIGHTS!!! WORKERS RIGHTS!!! Now excuse me while I run away from my protective union for a bit...

I'm not defending people who belong to a union and than break the rules. I think they are scum who abuse the solidarity of their fellow professionals. I'm just explaining the reasoning behind why people take non-union jobs while belonging to a union.
>>
>>312391248

All souls games were dubbed in bongistan. This strike touches only american unionized VAs.
>>
>>312392227
>This is why there are much more devs to choose from than VAs.

You can literally pick anyone off the street and BAM you've got a VA.
>>
>>312392259
Every part of that looks like it'd be a fucking blast to do
>>
File: 1444151822668.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1444151822668.gif
2MB, 200x150px
Post your face when a new era of magnificent VA's incoming.
>>
>>312392462
Now you understand what film has done to the average opinion.
People somehow hold them higher than all other mediums and then we will inevitably spiral down to the art vs not art conversation.

Then again, film does have a significant amount of decades over vidya
>>
>>312392486

VAs are valuable not because they are marketable but because they are scarce.
>>
>>312392516
>we'll let you phone your lines in so you don't have to travel etc.
They just go to a recording studio and send them the audio
>>
>>312387669
And nothing.
of value.
was lost.
>>
>>312388845
Pyotr and the Wolf is by Sergei Prokofiev. Disney just made an animation based on the piece.

That said, dynamic, character-interaction-based soundtracks would be GOAT. Like the gel/laser/grid incidental music from Portal 2, but for everything.
>>
>>312392259

why would a voice actor be doing this shit instead of a trained stunt man.

Literally no reason for an untrained voice actor to be performing these stunts.
>>
Voice actors do little to no work. Don't tell me that it's strenuous to be paid millions for doing voices and nothing else.
>>
File: 141556942755.jpg (20KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
141556942755.jpg
20KB, 283x283px
>>312387669
Fuck you I thought Brutal Legend 2 was announced.
>>
>>312388846
>Hiding behind a union to fight you own battles is considered alpha.

Fuck you lower class scum.
>>
>>312388291
Nah I'd prefer my games with little to no dialogue at all and little to no hand holding either. DOOM had maybe 3 text scrolls and those didn't come until the beginning or end of every episode which not only had 9 missions of gameplay in between them, but could be totally skipped if you wanted.>>312388324
>>
>>312392581
The guy that voices dmc3 and 4 Dante is a stuntman and that's how he ended up getting the role
>>
>>312392586
>magnificent
Magnificently horrifying as everyone and their brother thinks they can be the next Blum or Bailey.
>>
If this affects my Neptunia games I will strike against video games.
>>
>>312392610
its probably why production companies dont think they need to hire good actors anymore... Liam Neeson sucks fuck stop putting him in every fucking movie.
>>
File: 1444195571873.jpg (160KB, 828x686px) Image search: [Google]
1444195571873.jpg
160KB, 828x686px
>>312390590
>SNK finally gets on toonami
>all this "hype" for it building up to it "we're bringing it to the west with our marketing lel, it's an ANIME WALKING DEAD!!"
>finally airs after a fucking year
>constantly gets shit ratings and is a cancer on the programming block
>gets shit on by the whole western 'fandom' who already got addicted to the sub and can't get used to the new voices

A whole generation of new anime fans, raised by subs...A NEW AGE.

>>312392048

I'd rather funimation just die. Their webrips are fucking horrendous and blinding with their brightness. They probably do it on purpose so people buy their worthless dead media that are physical discs. Protip to companies: Normies talk about their NETFLIX watching addiction now, not their DVD buying addiction, it's not 2005 anymore.

They even fucking DELAY SUBS so their shitty "simuldubs" can be posted at the same time a few days later. FUCK FUNI.

>>312392359

Nah the thing is, subs are becoming the point of entry level now, with dubs being a thing of the past and for older toonamifags. Causals wanna talk about all the newest hottestcurrently-airing seasonal anime now, like SNK or KLK or SOA or whatever, and not wait a fucking year for BDs or wait for the non-existent television airings. Crunchy even gets custom advertisements from fucking Game Grumps and totalbiscuit and shit like that, reaching hundreds of thousands of young people.

Anime dubs are going the way of the dodo. Hopefully the same will happen to anime games soon.
>>
Sounds like the VA's just agreed to be out of a job.
>>
>>312392581
Sure, but it also looks like if any part fucks up someone could get seriously injured. Lots of people got hurt during the production of that Spider-Man Broadway show, for example, because there wasn't good safety oversight.
>>
>>312392386

I don't know if you've ever had to actually get a lawyer in your life anonymous, but you may be surprised that they do not work for free, you're billed by the hour.

If you're lucky enough to get a lawyer to work on contingency(unlikely since this would be a wrongful termination case), then they'll creatively account their representation to eat up atleast half of the final judgement(or plain out all of it, if you live in a state without caps)
>>
>>312392615

What makes you think they are scarce?

The fact that you hear the same voices over and over again? That's just because the people hiring voice actors don't give a shit, they just pick the names at the top of the list and it's always the same names at the top of the list.

Although I will agree genuinely talented voice actors, like Billy West for example, are scarce, just like genuinely talented actors are scarce. The likes of Troy Baker and Jennifer Hale are pathetic in comparison to his abilities as a VA.
>>
File: omlette du fromage.jpg (30KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
omlette du fromage.jpg
30KB, 400x286px
tfw I'm a VA and I don't get what all the fucking fuss is about. Just go in, do your lines, and get your check.Though to be fair, having a VA perform mocap is fucking stupid.
>>
>>312392723
>Blum and Bailey actually have really good range if you look up their early work
>Every director wants them to same voice the role
>Now a bunch of newgrounds rejects think they can be big name VAs
>>
>>312392762
Well film is a giant hugbox controlled by a small group anyway.

>Yfw people actually pay money to attend a script writing class only to find out their teacher doesn't think giving an honest opinion is the right thing to do
>>
File: DSC01756_2035517b[1].jpg (57KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01756_2035517b[1].jpg
57KB, 620x400px
>>312392676
honestly have no idea but I know there videos out there of Naughty Dog making the entire Uncharted cast do em.

While it isn't that big of a thing for most of the VAs, Scullys is in his 70's or 80's at this point
>>
Time to go hire European theater actors.
>>
>>312392706

>fighting for better pay and working conditions with your band of brothers is considered beta while taking it up the ass from your employer and being underpayed is alpha

Go be a profiteering Jew somewhere else Schlomo.
>>
>>312390574
>There are regular laws to protect that so you don't need Unions.
Oh great, laws that could easily be replaced with labour union contracts instead. So not only do you suck corporate cock; you suck state cock as well.
>>
>>312392783
Some dub works, some don't.
Like YuYu for example.
An anomaly of a series that both has a superior dub AND animation to the original manga agreed upon by the creator. And all while in the 90's which was a notoriously awkward time for both.
>>
How did Relic do it /v/?

How did they create such fucking amazing VA's in their games with the shitty talent that is western voice acting?

What fucking magic is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm3Z8E4F18
>>
File: 1442846612990.png (116KB, 377x643px) Image search: [Google]
1442846612990.png
116KB, 377x643px
Fucking Troy Baker shit on the original Silent Hill voice actors for doing the same shit 3 years ago
>>
>>312392784
Nah it'll just end with them going back to work without a pay increase, despite what you may think they are like devs where you can fire and hire really easily, there's a sea of horrible wannabes and VA directors and publishers don't want to have to spend time looking for actual talent
>>
>>312392783
This is the most retarded post I've read on 4chan all day.
>>
>>312392905
WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS
>>
>>312390041
It hung on the laurels of Homestuck, the single most popular webcomic in existence. Sorry to burst your bubble.
>>
>>312392905

>shut ins dont unionize
>the (professionally) vocal few do

gee boss
>>
>>312392973

I'm not really talking about whether dubs are good or not. just that they're becoming less and less relevant.
>>
>>312392892
Happens with nearly everyone who gets big.
And most often on their breakout or most popular role.

>Ryan Gosling will never not play an autist
It makes me sad.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQsEEtJw48
when will we go back to this masterpiece
>>
>>312392321
You shoudn't feel like an idiot for knowing as little about will wheaton as possible. It's the only path to a fulfilling life.
>>
>>312393009
>>312393025
Don't be that guy.
>>
>>312392920
I'd like to see one VA do an entire cast for 1 game.

Fuck could you imagine Micheal Ironside being all the voices for 1 game
>>
>>312392581
And the guy doing it isn't part of this strike imagine that.
>>
>>312393017
*aren't like devs
>>
>>312392676
Because the video game industry wants to be"matur" like movies "but is full of retards that have no idea what they're doing and jew kikes trying to pinch every penny.
>>
>>312392676
>Literally no reason for an untrained voice actor to be performing these stunts.
It's cheaper than a stuntman who actually knows how much he's worth.
>>
>>312392920
noooooooooo its what fucked up hollywood movies!
>>
Reminder that capitalism is why we can't have nice things :)
>>
VGVA's too big for its britches. They're not SAG, with huge, binding agreements with every major production company in the US. Any video game developer can hire any voice actor they want, the guild has only ensured that their own people won't be on the call list.
>>
>>312392978
Jesus Christ MOOOOOODS
>>
File: 1373399523413.png (3KB, 203x219px) Image search: [Google]
1373399523413.png
3KB, 203x219px
>Voice actors think they matter
>The highest rated PC game and highest rated game of 2015 on metacritic has no voice acting
>>
>>312392905
What the fuck is wrong with you?

>>312392978
What's the point in shopping the post?
>>
>>312392983
I love that black dude with his hair tied back.
>>
Good I'm tired of hearing the same mother fuckers use the same fucking voice for everything that they're in and that's every fucking VA because it must be a crime to hire someone who hasn't been used before.
>>
>>312390041
And it was still mediocre and full of flaws, good for him.
>>
Fuck voice acting in video games.

Entitled fucking babies, they think the industry is treating them like they're worthless, it's BECAUSE THEY FUCKING ARE
>>
>>312393105
Well that's because he's not really a VA, he's a stuntman who runs a mocap studio and occasionally does stuff with Capcom
>>
>>312393078
Not really.
People can bitch and whine about being tired of VA'ing. But they'll miss it once it's gone. And no matter how much you love jap voices, you'll get tired of them too. Especially the out of place ones once the new glow gets old.

It's just something standard we take for granted.
If only the writing was better
>>
>>312391248
Laurentius of the Great Swamp is one of the most memorable voices in gaming for me. Am I the only one who remembers this guy? He was a real nigga.

Dark Souls had great voice work
>>
>>312393159

Sorry anon, but mature CONSOLE gamers require professional VA to properly enjoy their cinematic experience.
>>
File: 1403107300431.jpg (2MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1403107300431.jpg
2MB, 5000x5000px
>>312393159
>PC
>relevant
>>
>>312393050

That's ture, he got a lot of popularity from there, now can you tell me where it had any twitter political dramawhoring, overblown kickstarters, endless delays, big celebrity/industry names, DLC, early access shit, OR any fucking voice acting?

Pretty sure things like Microsoft budgets (Fez and Phil Fish), or multi-hundred million AAA budgets, are worth more than a (fucking dead) webcomic, the connections of which aren't even advertised anywhere. Unless you think all the reviewers like Jim Sterling and so on were covert homestuck fans.
>>
>>312393208
He's a stuntman that does better VAing than 99% of the English community.
>>
>>312392983
>that woman at 4:01
Scared
>>
>>312393178
Won't help, they'll get big, get told to do the same voice every time, and the process will repeat
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with going on strike.
>>
>>312393223

Nope, I don't care about american VAs, I've been hearing japanese VA's since the PS2 era and I'm just fine.
>>
>>312392905
The number of them. Programmers are just too replaceable because of how many there are. There are far fewer professional VA's, even of the less than satisfactory ones. The thing is here that most of voice acting tends to be a very small and select group, regardless of the size of the project. One actor will usually do 5-6 different fully voiced characters, and auxiliary "grunts" and such for another 10 in 35 different situations. Next time you play a voice acted game, even without dialogue, listen to how many different death yells there are. Those were probably all done by the same guy. Yelling that much is not good for you.

But anyway, small professional pool for VA's, not so much for programmers.
>>
I would be TOTALLY fine with a VA strike if it wasn't obvious that the union is creating an extremely limited pool of actors

WHY THE FUCK IS TROY BAKER OCELOT IN MGSV
HE WAS FUCKING AWFUL
HIS FUCKING ACCENT AND TONE CHANGES EVERY GODDAMN LINE
AND NOBODY EVER COMMENTED ON IT BECAUSE "OH IT'S TROY BAKER HE'S SO GOOD~"
>>
File: 1442184442361.png (46KB, 439x441px) Image search: [Google]
1442184442361.png
46KB, 439x441px
>they're actually going to be striking
>Persona 5's going to be delayed EVEN FURTHER because of this shit and like hell Atlus USA will just give us the JP voices
At this rate, I should just learn moon and import the fucking thing.
>>
File: 1444094870605.jpg (24KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
1444094870605.jpg
24KB, 300x260px
>this thread
>>
>>312393315
Indeed, as long as you accept that the act could result in your replacement.
>>
>>312393264
In 5 years youre going to regret your smugness and realize what a little faggot you were.
>>
>>312388602
This, they've already been doing this a bit the past few years
>>
>>312393140
Theater actors usually give out godlike performances. If video games want to be seen as mature they need to hire people who you know can actully act.
>>
>>312393315
It's pretty retarded to strike with no leverage
>>
>>312393315
There is everything wrong with forcing people to strike
>>
I think this whole thing is stupid as fuck
But I am kinda worried that me favorite characterus are gonna get their voices replaced, so I hope this blows over quickly
>>
Just VAs being salty because they couldn't make it as real actors.

Video games aren't like films. A video game's popularity doesn't ride on its acting talent. No one buys video games because their favourite voice actors star in them. For them to say that they are entitled to residuals, when there are 100 other people on the team whose jobs are both harder and more important than theirs, is sheer arrogance.

No one even cares if the performance in a video game is good. Voice acting is remembered more for being cheesy and bad than it is for being good, and it's not like putting in a good performance will elevate the absolutely awful standards for storytelling in games.

They only reason the same handful of voice actors get all the work is because it's a "clique" you have to weasel your way into. These guys are about to find out the hard way just how many amateurs there are waiting in the wings who would gladly accept payment in peanuts just for the opportunity to even BE in a video game.
>>
>>312387758

literally just hire people off the street holy fuck they can act marginally worse and no one will care

you sjw shits dont understand at all do you?
>>
>>312392905
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS.
>>
>>312393315

There isn't

There's also nothing wrong with pointing out that their strike would/will fail miserably due to amount of scabs in the VA industry, and that nobody buys games for certain VAs
>>
File: 1319920052143.jpg (60KB, 649x650px) Image search: [Google]
1319920052143.jpg
60KB, 649x650px
>>312393390
Didn't you fags said that 5 years ago?
>>
>>312393159
I wonder if they're dumb enough to try and threaten that dev teams have to pay some VA work, or will refuse to ever work with that company on anything in the future.
>>
>>312393419
>Voice acting is remembered more for being cheesy and bad than it is for being good
I know you're shitposting but nah mang
>>
>>312393223

The quality of the voices don't matter either, that's what I mean. The immediacy of subs beat out the relevancy of dubs, which only really became a big thing that young fans got attached to because of television. and if there's anything that defines media watchers today, it's that they want everything RIGHT NOW, and subs serve that purpose. With the internet and youtube being as huge as it is now, games like FE and P5 are going to cause some ripples, especially with all the spoilers flying everywhere.

And there are several magnitudes more anime original voice actors than there are anime dub voice actors, so there's already more variety there period. Unless by variety, you mean things like gamergate references in your dub scripts.
>>
>>312392957
So instead of a universal law you want laws that only benefit you.

Got it.
>>
>>312393393
but then they use them for fucking everything. And it ruins an entire media such as movies for decades and maybe forever.
>>
>All the VA defense force itt

fuck em, they're awful/unmemorable 9/10.
>>
File: file.png (148KB, 324x291px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
148KB, 324x291px
>>312393390
>>
thank god maybe they will realize how much of a waste of money and space voice acting is and stop using them.
one of the worst things about modern games.
>>
>>312393017
That really depends anon, they sort of are replaceable in this day and age.

Yamaha has got Vocaloid working to such a degree that it can simulate real conversations in nipponese - essentially Jap VA's are on notice as they could be replaced any time with software.

Vocaloid sounds like shit in English right now, but only as Yamaha hasn't really bothered with the language and its many dialects - but if the Western VA's push too hard, there might be enough interest from Western Publishers and the possibility of western TV/Cinema uses that Yamaha could potentially 'port' Vocaloid to English.

Once that happens, the VA's are fucked.

They're digging their own grave, one dollar sign at a time.
>>
>>312393408
No one is being forced to go on strike.
>>
File: 1435029287968.png (430KB, 1134x659px) Image search: [Google]
1435029287968.png
430KB, 1134x659px
>No Burch in P5

Also, is Keith David in the union? If we're getting a Dissidia sequel, I hope he comes back for the role of Chaos
>>
>>312393497
If I recall, one of the actual rules the strike is trying to push is basically requiring the devs to hire VAs if they have voice acting in the game, the devs can't voice characters themselves
>>
>>312393359

> like hell Atlus USA will just give us the JP voices

TPP plus they can patch in english voices later, they'll just release japanese voices because no way in hell they're gonna be held up by talentless cuckjws

or just hire scabs like everyone is gonna do
>>
>>312393359
>>Persona 5's going to be delayed EVEN FURTHER because of this shit and like hell Atlus USA will just give us the JP voices

That'll just get more people angrier than ever. You know how many casuals love Persona? They're going to wonder what's going on when that shit goes down.

Atlus will cave under the pressure.
>>
Kek david hayter voted yes. Does anyone actually even hire him?
>>
>>312393575
What's your favorite game anon?
Hard-mode: The first game you think of
>>
>>312389704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmeQ0Ya4G8

I honestly hope we get more shit like this.

It's half the fun of playing old low budget games.

Shit is TIMELESS.
>>
Oh no, how will it break my immersion to not hear the apathetic shout "Ramirez, shoot down that helicopter". Maybe those faggots should first do a decent job, like Bell, Templeman and Jay and then demand more money for it?
>>
>>312393491
probably and it is total shit now tbh. real talk though european actors ruined western film once jews found out they work for less than half of what american actors get paid. Shit any good american actor has made his own production company at this point and we are getting good movies once again. It may take another 5 years for vidya to realize this.
>>
>>312392462
Because, compared to film, the amount of work a voice actor puts into a video game relative to the amount of work the development team does is laughably small.
>>
>>312393594
>You might have VA software like 3d modeling, readily available in your lifetime

s-stop giving me hope anon
>>
File: mfw.jpg (47KB, 220x319px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
47KB, 220x319px
>>312387669
shiet
>>
>>312393704
Not him, but you got me. I generally don't care for voice acting but it's one of the reasons I love KOTOR 2.
>>
>>312393594
>Yamaha has got Vocaloid working to such a degree that it can simulate real conversations in nipponese - essentially Jap VA's are on notice as they could be replaced any time with software.

Japanese VA's are big business for the media that uses them. They're actual celebrities that push units for their anime and games and so on, unlike like the west. A show having a "vocaloid cast" will be nothing more than a gimmick.
>>
>>312393647
They sort of are, since they will be blacklisted for life if they continue working after the strike is declared.
>>
I'm actually having a hard time coming up with any upcoming games I'd miss voice actors for. I guess Destiny is the only ongoing series I don't want to see changing everything, especially after the Ghost improvement. Halo would probably be top of the list, but 343 has killed most of that interest and Halo 5 has already finished development. The only upcoming game I'd miss people on would be Deus Ex. And I guess it could fuck up Fallout 4 DLC.

I don't know if it's good or bad that there aren't any series that I'm so attached to that I'd miss someone. I guess it just reflects on where we are now, maybe because of the current gen still being semi-young. Honestly I hope it leads to more variety than Nolan North, Troy Baker, and the same 30 or 40 people being in every game
>>
Time to brush up on my voice acting skills.

Might finally land a gig.

My voice sucks even though I have several hundred dollars in audio equipment
>>
>>312393679
It's more likely that union VAs would change their name and scab rather than miss out on all the Persona 5 milking that's bound to come
>>
>>312393745
>Read that line in Keith David's voice
>>
>well known voice actors go on strike
>vidya says fuck it and hires new talent instead of the same five people every game
>all those talentless hacks like Baker and Hayter are voluntarily out of work

I like where this is going
>>
>>312393647
Except they kind of are.
You go with the flow or drown.
>>
File: nono.gif (135KB, 263x185px) Image search: [Google]
nono.gif
135KB, 263x185px
>>312393572
you probably think george lucas ruined star wars with his writing when in fact it was the shitty no name actors he chose. The writing wasnt bad at all it was the execution.
>>
>>312393698
not really but its partially because he keeps showing up to job interviews with a Guyver suit on
>>
File: 1258092714253.jpg (28KB, 250x244px) Image search: [Google]
1258092714253.jpg
28KB, 250x244px
>Atlus might be forced to stop shoehorning shitty english dubs into everything they localize

FUCKING BEST NEWS SO FAR THIS WEEK!
>>
>>312393679
Atlus have a long history of hiring non unions VAs, but as a Personakiddie you'd be typically ignorant of that
>>
>>312393862
Record something on Vocaroo and post, let everyone know if you're worth hiring or not
>>
>>312393862
clyp.it something please.
I really want to hear some anon who thinks VA'ing is easy do a take.
>>
>>312393349
dont forget
>only want union VA's to be able to hired
>troy baker and burch in every single game
>>
>>312392857
Billy West is a legendary voice actor, but Jennifer Hale and Troy Baker are still good. If Hale and Baker are As, West would be an S++.
>>
>>312387669
>stunt pay

I was with them until I read this shit.

Completely retarded.
>>
>>312393857
>I'm actually having a hard time coming up with any upcoming games I'd miss voice actors for

Honestly only thing I can think of would be that next Southpark game and we don't have to worry about that since the makers voice 95% of the characters.
>>
>>312391320
They have a bad case of USI simple as that.
>>
>>312392905
But they do unionise.
>>
I really hope a few midgets decide to scab.
There is nothing worse than an obvious grown woman trying too hard to sound like a child.

Midgets are perfect for voicing kids. They have the right range and the right size of lungs (even the best female VA can't hide her adult female size lungs).
>>
This better not delay P5.
Or this is fucking it.
>>
>>312393594
You need VA for Vocaloid dumbass...

Also you can't just use the same performance for every role (except in western vidya).
>>
>>312393647

That's what a union fucking is you idiot

Even if you don't personally agree with the union, you have to go on strike with them
>>
I am fine with this as video game voice acting as become stale. The most recent western game that had great voice acting didn't even use people who normally voice act in video games. Maybe now developers will get some new blood and I won't hear the same 5 faggots in every video game.
>>
>>312393594

miku will soon dub our games?

HAPPENING SOON, FELLOWS

also if this slows down fucking xseed's TiTS: SC even more than I pray they just don't hire any fucking piece of shit professional voice dubbers and just have the translator read the battlecry dialogues. Seriously, let me hear some guy named Steve ham it up by trying to properly portray Alicia's SMUG.

We'll all be putting them back to the Japanese despise XSEED's faggotry at refusing to include JPN voicepack (which would be prohibitively expensive to pay for because of THE FUCKING ELEVENS HAD A FUCKING UNION THAT DEMANDS A MILLION BILLION DOLLARS TO USE ORIGINAL VOICES)
>>
>>312394050

What's that?
>>
File: 23498437927094.jpg (33KB, 443x410px) Image search: [Google]
23498437927094.jpg
33KB, 443x410px
>>312393349
MGSV, both TPP and GZ, had awful voice direction, and made Ocelot, one of the most charismatic villains in gaming, and turned him into a glorified encyclopedia
It was a shit game that proved Kojima's a hack
>>
>>312392247
They barely even help teachers anymore. My father is a high school teacher and has seen his already shitty pay steadily decrease over the last decade as the union agrees on lower and lower wages and more and more costly health insurance.
>>
>>312394081
Then leave the union.
>>
File: large.jpg (92KB, 625x892px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
92KB, 625x892px
>>312393527
>>
>>312388291
>playing western games
>>
>>312394048
>>312393857

Shadow Warrior 2. Well, it wouldn't make me NOT play the game, but the banter in the first one was so good it would be a shame if it was missing for the sequel.
>>
>>312394048
Minus Chef, South Park now has a whopping THREE VA's for all its roles.
Four with bebe, and five with ike.
7-8 in the old seasons when they had their secondary characters.
>>
File: 1443825425053.jpg (593KB, 1800x2156px) Image search: [Google]
1443825425053.jpg
593KB, 1800x2156px
YES
NO MORE MOVIE GAMES
NEW GOLDEN AGE WILL DAWN
>>
>>312394094
>Xenoblade Chronicles
>Full cast of literally who VAs
>Some of the most memorable and good voice acting in recent memory

But no, we totally need Troy Baker and Liam O'Brien doing every character.
>>
>>312394104
>(which would be prohibitively expensive to pay for because of THE FUCKING ELEVENS HAD A FUCKING UNION THAT DEMANDS A MILLION BILLION DOLLARS TO USE ORIGINAL VOICES)

I think this is just a lie, honestly. Anime localization companies -always- release the original voice track in with their releases, it'd be UNHEARD OF to not do so.

And yet, game companies can't? Especially fucking huge companies like square or whatever. Even the cheap niche ones are mostly on the same financial level of anime dubbers.

What's the big difference between anime and games, that anime can always include the JP voices, but games can't? They all use the same japanese voice actors anyways.
>>
>>312394009
Billy west is godlike. It s pretty crazy how he can switch from Fry to Zoidberg and to the Professor in one take.
>>
>>312393881
It was the excess of CG what ruined the last trilogy, though.
>>
>>312388496
>/v/ has people who have actually made games and are currently making games.
I don't believe you
>>
>>312394176
Why should you be forced to quit your job due to the whims of others, or not work?
>>
>>312394130
Unwarranted self importance
>>
>>312394282
>Tfw we'll never get another futurama full of all the good people
>>
File: file.png (337KB, 460x480px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
337KB, 460x480px
So this is it. The death of the western game market, and by extension the death of PC gaming. You know that the Japs sure as fuck won't make PC games, and any and all games will run to the PlayStation without looking back.

>tfw you bought a PC
>>
>>312394352
Where did you think notch vs promote his game on?
>>
>>312393647
You are. Not that it affects you economiacally since the union still pays you. Strikes are a battle between corporations and workers about who can survive bleeding out the other the longest.

That's why punctual strikes are fairly common; the union will just order one very important person to go on strike while allowing the rest to work, but the person that's on strike is someone that's hard to replace.

Example of this is when some dockworkers won a battle by just letting the dude operating the cranes go ons trike.
>>
>>312391928
How will they make picket lines if the voice actor does his work remotely?
>>
fire all of them. i'm so fucking sick of the same 5 people holding the monopoly on every video game.
>>
Good, fuck that union. Maybe we'll start to hear some actually new voices in games and 90% of characters won't sound the fucking same in every god damn game
>>
File: crazyyyy shit.gif (926KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
crazyyyy shit.gif
926KB, 640x360px
>>312387669
>>312387669

>NA VA want more money
>japs say fuck that
>persona 5 with jap only dub and english subs

Post yfw
>>
>>312394414
>The death of the western game market
THANK GOD
>>
>>312394352
Minecraft, KS and a few others, lots of which are on Steam, came from /v/ or have /v/ posters. CDProjeckt comes here too. Was also the Dinosaur bit in Battlefield.
>>
>>312394414
Real subtle, Kaz.
>>
File: shit.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
shit.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>312394275
had the most fun with a vidya game in 20 years on a recently produced movie game. Yfw movie games are actually getting better than just vidya gmaes.
>>
>>312393881
>I hate sand...it's rough...and coarse

L
U
C
BRAVO
S
>>
>>312394576

Which game?
>>
>>312388653
But it's true.
Fucking Chief Kief dropped the ball, man
>>
>>312394557
>Notch counting as a dev
>KS
>/v/
wwwwwwwwwwwww
>CDPR
>/v/irgins

>rusing naive marketers
>counting as anything

stop
>>
>>312394507
Japs don't do shit with localizing Atlus games, that's all Atlus USA
>>
>>312389503
Wow thats some kind of wacky delly opinion.
>>
>>312394541
It's not so much the fact western games will disappear, as it will be that PC games will no longer exist. In the PS2 generation, there were nothing but shoddy console ports, and the occasional strategy game. This generation onwards will be a repeat of that, if not worse off.

That's the problem with Sony controlling all major markets as opposed to just one.
>>
>>312394308
debateable since we know for a fact the acting almost made it doa. It definitely wasnt the backgrounds that pissed me off.
>>
how much you wanna bet the same 6 people who have a stranglehold on all the va jobs are behind this

i hope every developer hires scabs and pays them even more
>>
>>312394646
Has Notch made a game?
As much as I hate the faggot, he has made a game. I won't deny him that.
>>
>>312394280
>it'd be UNHEARD OF to not do so.
Persona 4 the anime didn't have JP voices outside Japan. I don't think The Golden blurays did either. Fate/zero's box set was the same price here as Japan to get JP voices too.
>>
>>312394636
you know which one dont make me post it because bullys.
>>
>>312387669
I hope this kills all those VA's carrers
>boo hoo, I stand and talk, pay me more if a game sells too much, not just for doing my fucking job of just talking into a mic
>>
>>312394576
movie really hit their peak somewhere in the mid to late PS2 generation

>King Kong the Vidya
>Scarface the Vidya
>Godfather the Vidya
>couple decent to alright Terminator vidya
>Predator Concrete Jungle
Also Jaws the vidya but it was hilariously terrible

Also Ghostbusters the Vidya game from last gen was fantastic
>>
>>312394791
He stole a prototype, and changed a few things, then got lucky on /v/ word of mouth.
>>
>>312394810
Those aren't large, well known animes,.
>>
>>312394356
You can work without a union. If you don't like the union's action why be a part of it?
>>
>>312394789
They aren't, Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day are, they tried using their nerd status to make money and it wasn't working
>>
>>312394894
What he's done to it since the prototype is widely different than what it originally was.

Like I said: I hate the faggot but I won't deny him his due.
>>
>>312394901
>persona 4 anime
>not huge
>fate/zero
>not huge
>>
>>312387669
As a wRPG player mostly, I say let them go fuck themselves. Voice acting in RPGs is cancer that has been killing the genre for at least a decade now.
>>
>>312394414

more like the death of shitty AAA games.

Budgets are already bloated as all fuck, and the consumers ARE resisting growing pricetags by either waiting for price-drop/using discount sites like Greenman/proxying to buy games in for $10 worth of Brazilian pesos/pirating the game/NOT PLAYING GAMES ANYMORE.

Or at least sensible consumers are--console peasants gladly eat shit and pay $100 for it so long as the publisher made sure to go and market how delicious their NEW & STEAMING HOT plate of shit is.
>>
>>312394789
Blum and Hale are in on it though Baker and North aren't.
>>
>>312388184
> no source
Ayuy
>>
>>312388542
Huh. You know, this sounds EXACTLY like the ambulance drivers who get mad at McDonald's cashiers for wanting a living wage.

Stop fighting over scraps, retards.
>>
>>312394789
Troy Baker
Jennifer Hale
Liam O'Brien
Nolan North
Robin Atkin Downes
Probably someone else I'm forgetting

I guarantee they're the main culprits. I would pay extra to never have to hear these samevoice faggots again. They can't even begin to compare themselves to legendary TV voice actors like Dan Castellaneta or Billy West, who can do 30 distinctly different voices on the fly without missing a beat.
>>
>>312394810

That is unusual, but those are both "game" anime.

Maybe there's something about the game industry there that's totally different from the anime one, even though they use all the same VAs.

>>312394901

Actually I was more talking about the smaller series. if a poor ass anime dubber can get a dozen shows and have them all subbed and a few dubbed, why can't a poor ass game dubber do the same? Instead of just usually never getting the JP voices even for small niche games. It makes no sense.
>>
>>312394992
>What he's done to it
You mean how he copypasted a shit load of mods developed by others, shoehorned them into the game, didn't deliver on promises and then released an unfinished Minecraft as a 1.0 because Reddit couldn't stop sucking his cock?
>>
>>312395007
Don't forget
>animes
>>
>>312394875
ghostbusters the video game killed my favorite game studio... It was a genuinly good game written by the original cast and VA'ed by them as well. There was nothing missing but it was a flop. RIP TR you didnt deserve this and so many others did.
>>
File: Weeaboos.jpg (25KB, 455x300px) Image search: [Google]
Weeaboos.jpg
25KB, 455x300px
>hear about this
>people talking about designers and developers
>remember that designers don't actually exist

You know why modern Triple A games are so derivative? It's because designers are rare. Most "designers" literally don't know how to do anything except copy other games.

>overhearing a conservation between two guys making a game and their discussion was talking about whether they should go with the Dark Souls combat system or the Batman combat system.
>>
File: 1438805591294.jpg (13KB, 294x437px) Image search: [Google]
1438805591294.jpg
13KB, 294x437px
>>312391612
Funimation announced that they're going to change that line after the outrage it caused.

For real tho, who the fuck was he trying to impress? Did he think Anita was going to buy the dvds?
>>
>>312394356
FUN FACT: Voice actors often use aliases to do non-union gigs to circumvent union rules
>>
>>312395039
See
>>312393704
but change game to WRPG.
>>
>>312395106
Fate/zero is not a "game" anime.
>>
>>312395039
The witcher 3 had a great voice cast. It was honestly probably one of the best voiced acted games of all time.
>>
>>312394926
to be fair to ole Camel Jane, she was doing alright for herself before getting tied up with Wheaton and his superiority pity parties.

I'll never forget the impotent rage that fucker felt when Syfy channel cancelled his show because people were actively tuning out when it came on
>>
I hope they hire me and realize they don't need celebrities to do the same job, especially with many talented voice actors out there.
>>
>>312387669
what will be the Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog of videogames
>>
I hope this blows up in their face.
Not that I don't think they deserve more but the ignorance they have in thinking that their performance has an active contribution to a game's overwhelming success is sickening to me.
>>
>>312395112
And making sure they work, relatively, coherently, yes.
>>
>>312395163
So someone like David Hayter could've easily voiced Snake, but was too vain to use a different alias?
>>
>>312395162
I'm more confused on the happy days reference
>>
>>312394275
You are just so fucking desperate to review that golden age you would try to emulate ANYTHING related to it. You think those games were good because of shoddy voice acting? You fucking moron.
>>
>>312395045
I'm sure 2007 was the last hurrah of the AAA market, as it had the most innovative and intriguing games of last generation. But that doesn't change the fact, it's largely the western AAA devs that make PC versions of their games. Now the B-rated developers will make "everything but PC and Nintendo" games, just as the case was for 6th gen. You know the Japanese sure as FUCK aren't going to make games for PC, especially when Sony has Japanese developers in a stranglehold.
>>
File: Chris Tan.jpg (59KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
Chris Tan.jpg
59KB, 640x512px
>>312395171
Yes. Yes it is.
>>
>>312395310
>Sony has Japanese developers in a stranglehold
>implying
>>
>>312395171

Fate Zero is a VN

But you're right, lots of other anime are VN adaptations but have the JP voices. This makes no sense at all.
>>
>>312395178

Secret World has decent voice acting as well. it's more wRPG than mmoRPG.

but they hired legit actors--not voice actors. I can say that definitively because I haven't heard Carth Onassi or Jennifer Hale (aka Femshep) anywhere
>>
>>312395270
Thank you, I thought that sounded familiar but I couldn't place it.

>>312395162
>>312391612
Its a dumb line, but it fits the character saying it.
>>
>>312392983
I actually know one of the guys in that video. He's at the computer most of the time. What people dont seem to get is that VAs like them or not are well trained techs/performers. Even what we consider a bland performance takes more effort than film or stage acting, and we're harder to impress because of the lack of visual feedback in videogame VA. I'm not sure where I stand on this. Artists work their asses off doing both technical and performance work for peanuts. Their checks may not look that bad but you have to consider travel time time away from other jobs, the fact that this work is sparse and requires a good professional reputation. On the other hand, as an artist I also know that it's not as if we're providing power to cities and giving people running water. If I was a VA I'd probably join the strike. Gotta make a living somehow.
>>
>>312395356
Fate/Zero is not a VN, you dumbass. Fate/Stay Night is the VN.
>>312395347
>implying tsukihime has anything to do with fate/zero
>>
>506 posts and we're only on page 4
wew
>>
Bunch of over entitled whiners. Just like the rest of SAG. They can all fuck off for all I care. The programmers deserve residuals far more than these over grown children. Yet you don't see them complaining about it. If devs had to pay residuals to actors, you just wouldn't see voice acting in games anymore. Luckily, not all actors are part of this crazy union.
>>
>>312395352
Look at all those Japanese games the PS4 has coming up. Atlus is a Sony only developer, who makes the odd 3DS game here and there. All Japanese developers make PlayStation versions of their games, it's practically law. To say otherwise would be foolish.
>>
>>312389318
>jerk really hard and fast across a room
he musta had a big dick lol
>>
>>312395441
>Implying its not in the same universe
>>
That baffles me. I haven't heard a decent voice acting in a game for the last ten years, let alone something LoK level, and these faggots think they're underpaid?
>>
>>312395445
>Yet you don't see them complaining about it
They should.
If anything SAG is just smarter than them for not accepting just anything.
>>
File: 9VWvNXc.png (342KB, 867x1300px) Image search: [Google]
9VWvNXc.png
342KB, 867x1300px
>>312395423
>but it fits the character saying it.

Let's just change every line. maybe put some abortion or obama or tea party or trump references in at random, if the character seems angry or weird ever. Just whatever the scriptwriter was raging about on twitter at the time. As long as it 'fits" right?

This is what dubfags actually believe.
>>
>>312395356
>Fate Zero is a LN
FTFY
>>
>>312395530
Yes, welcome to millennials.
>>
>>312395510
Well it is.
But it still has nothing to do with Fate/Zero, they share the same universe and maybe occasionally one will something that ties in with the other, but Fate and Tsukihime go down their own routes.
>>
>>312395530
Which LoK are you referring to m8?
>>
File: deleted.png (51KB, 610x354px) Image search: [Google]
deleted.png
51KB, 610x354px
>>312395423
>Its a dumb line, but it fits the character saying it.

Get the fuck out of here Tyson
>>
>>312395590
All of them, even in BO2 voice acting was still top notch.
>>
>>312395548
>>312395592
>Prison School will be the meme-face of dubs for months to come
Fuck my life
>>
>>312395548
No, its a horrid mistranslation. This isn't a case of changing something to fit localization, its just bad.

Its coincidence that it does fit the character, though.
>>
>>312395548
Aren't you literally just describing the dub of Highschool of the Dead?
>>
>>312395445
To be fair that's an universal problem. The VAs end with high profits and the technical staff end with peanuts. And Japan is no better at this problem, in fact the problem there is worse.
>>
>>312395548

Dubbing is a fine profession and often juices and spices up boring generic nip dialogue. It's about making it fit for a western audience, not 'translating" it.

I'd rather hear english vies over screechy Japanese ones any day of the week.
>>
>>312395445
I don't want to hear you complaining about entitlement, lardass.
>>
>>312395423
>>312395548
The line could've simply been "Where did you learn to talk to girls, asshole?" & it would've delivered the same message if they wanted to avoid the jap upperclassmen etiquette bullshit. But no, Tyson wanted an anime to be his twitter soapbox, author be damned.
>>
File: Blessing.png (284KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Blessing.png
284KB, 500x375px
>>312395548
Worked for Ghost Stories.
>>
>>312395643
I can't even remember the last good anime dub.
Literally who cares, especially funishit.
>>
>>312391612
Shit, I don't have sound right now, what do they say?
>>
>>312395760
See >>312395752
>>
>>312395760
cowboy beebop. Even ed is done better.
>>
>>312395706
Stop making your kind look bad
>>
>>312395178
It's not about the quality of voice acting. It's about every modern AAA "RPG" having 100% voiced dialogue that is the cancer.

We will NEVER EVER see more wRPGs with actually well written AND expansive dialogue trees as long as this is the case.
>>
Why not just profit from cartoon VAs as usual?

>>312393415
Why care?
>>
>>312395635
We will never see a game series with the same quality of voice acting in our lifetime. It's the undisputed GOAT.
>>
>>312393267
It got Borderlands 2-tier shilling on /v/
Also there was twitter drama, something about MGSV I thought
>>
>>312395807
G-O-O-D
>>312395838
14 years is a long time anon.
>>
>>312395752
>what's an exception?

That was a show that was so boring and derivative in the original version that they just ran with it, and from the start you expected stupidity. You don't go serious at first and then throw out whatever you want at random times, especially if it's just to reference dead movements that you only name drop in order to start a personal Twitter argument.
>>
>>312395838
>>312395760
Baccano is arguably better in English.
>>
>>312395869
We won't see good wRPGs at all as long as Bethesda remains to be the face of it.
>>
>>312395869
If we didn't have voiced protags, it wouldn't be a problem.
>>
File: SAVE ME.png (732KB, 1126x675px) Image search: [Google]
SAVE ME.png
732KB, 1126x675px
>>312395592
This really should piss people off than GG reference. This guy is translating pervy cartoons for greasy teenagers, and he's on his fucking high horse? Literally shitting on the audience that is suppose to buy your poorly encoded shit. Not sure who you're trying to impress here, Tyson, but let me be the first to tell you that Zoe Quinn ain't going to buy your dvds.
>>
>>312395943
Same with black lagoon.
>>
>>312395752
It works for some shows, less well for others. Another example of a show with localized pop-culture jokes that works pretty well was Red Jacket Lupin. But a Samurai Flamenco dub that constantly referenced Kanye West or Donald Trump or something would be a disservice to the show.
>>
>>312395842
The Japanese cannot make a goddamn sentence that flows when translated, at all. Direct translations result in stilted as fuck dialogue.
Let's not begin talking about Japanese region specific jokes and allusions
>>
>>312396001
>Same with black lagoon
No. Just no.
>>
>>312395752
I've been conflicted with the Prison School thing.

On one hand, it's a stupid translation just for a soap box and doesn't work for the character.

On other hand, there have been dubs which strayed far from the original script, case in point that.
>>
>>312395643
YEARS to come, anon. People still post things like Guin Saga. Funimation and dubfags will never live it down. People still repost jason schrier saying people who like dragons crowns are pedophiles, after all.

>>312395719
dub scriptwriters sometimes think they ARE content creators and 'real authors'. If they really thought themselves that good, they wouldn't piggyback on other people's creations, and become authors themselves. But they don't, because they can't. So they shouldn't try.

>>312395752
YouTube abridged series before they were real, but nobody says those dubs are "better than the real show!". It wasn't even that funny, you know, you only watched the cut-down version on youtube. If they wanted to do that, they should've done two separate dubs, or just made their own fucking show if they thought they were so clever.

>>312395940
It wasn't even that "boring and derivative", it was just some average show aimed for a more younger audience.
>>
>>312395939
The Ghost Stories dub is good. Its great, even. Hell, I'd go so far as to say its fucking hilarious.

>>312395940
I'll concede I haven't watched any of the dub sans that one clip to make a judgement on it.
>>
>>312395760
I don't watch a lot of anime, and I watch fucking random-ass pics at that, but I've yet to run into a dub that I truly hate. The only bad dubs I ever see are for shows that I don't even care about.

>>312395874
I don't know, there's just some characters whose voices I like, but they're not famous enough for /v/ to give a shit
>>
>>312396046
>Good translation is hard
We know.
>>
>>312395539
Programmers deserve higher wages but residuals is just getting crazy.
>>312395656
Well in Japan, VAs ARE their version of Hollywood celebrities. VAing is a big deal there. Much bigger than screen acting. So it makes sense that their pay is proportionately higher. Especially sense the Japanese public holds them and their lives to the same scrutiny as we a Hollywood celebrity here. However, here, it's the exact opposite. We hold screen actors to a much higher plane than VAs. We really don't give a shit about VAs that much, here. So VA wages are proportionately lower. However, a lot of these VAs do make a killing in the US still. So I don't know what the fuck they are whining about now.
>>
>>312395980
>not sure who you're trying to impress here
Where's that NISA screen cap of the guy saying he loved translating Japanese games so he could "fix" all the content? That attitude is disgustingly common among translators.

I'm all for adapting content to fit the new language, but that's taking it way too far.
>>
File: 1425554159117.png (506KB, 791x906px) Image search: [Google]
1425554159117.png
506KB, 791x906px
>>312392696
>Wanting to give Tim Schafer money
>>
>>312396083
>It wasn't even that funny, you know, you only watched the cut-down version on youtube.
I watched the full thing, actually. I hadn't heard of it before they said it was for sale years ago at a con and I picked it up on a whim as I was leaving.
>>
>>312395752
Ghost Stories was a rip off of a bunch of other horror movies with a spanning of 24 episodes. Funi & bandai must've scavenged all the notable shows at the time leaving ADV with the scraps.
>>
>>312395980

God funi's encodes are so shit
But yeah that line was pathetic. It's funny because even my shitty retail job has fucking signs saying "NO SHITPOSTING ON FUCKING SOCIAL MEDIA", yet you have these tards and journalists of last year doing it 24/7,.

>>312396204

yeah I remember that. one.

I don't know how dubfags live with themselves. I mean, if you have no other choice, sure, but there's no reason to be a fanboy over them.
>>
>>312390787
>Chaos Wars
>>312391306
>That fucking dub
At least it did have some of the best deadpan voice acting I've seen
>>
>>312396192
Well yeah, fuck residuals.
Vidya needs to stop trying to be like big brother Film.
>>
>>312389190

Jesus christ I hope this isn't true.

> Make $18 an hour doing a shit job before they forced me to take a pay cut

> Estimated salary was almost $28k a year

> Used to tell people I wished I had a job that felt as important as Miyamori's

Goddamn.
>>
>>312396083
>If they wanted to do that, they should've done two separate dubs, or just made their own fucking show if they thought they were so clev
The Japanese liscence holders told them to do whatever it took to make the show popular. A slightly-spooky kid friendly horror series wasn't going to do much. Meanwhile, people still talk about the Ghost Stories dub to this day. They were following orders and did a great job with it.
>>
>>312396204
Are you talking about that one shitter from NoA?
>>
>>312395943
>>312396001

They were okay.

I think a lot of shows dubs get overrated due to their rarity, and they're always ancient toonami shit. Both those shows are years old, you know.

Cowboy Bebop is a big example of this too. The original JP voices are still BETTER. Sure, Blum is cool and Jet's voice is good too, but other than that it's either on par or worse. People make up these lies like "The creator liked the english dub better!" for almost every anime or game dub they like, never with any kind of proof.
>>
>>312396348
Everyone above the part timers get royalties.
>>
>>312396276
Every time I see one of these posts, I don't know whether or not to consider myself a dubfag.
I mean, I'll use one if it's okay, but I'm not a blind nigger who sings praises over them or thinks translators are respectable people.
>>
>>312396348
It is. The source went really in depth as well. The studio needs to make a profit selling 3000-10000 blurays and they usually have to PAY the TV station to release them on TV.
>>
>>312396414
Cowboy's is actually true though.
The creator also holds the French dub above the Jap one.
>>
>>312396348
It is

"A typical 30 minute cartoon requires over 3,500 pages of drawing and takes three months to make. Sometimes as much work goes into a 10 second action scene as five minute conversation scene in which there is little movement except for the mouths. Japanese animators are known for putting in long hours, often 12 hours a day, including weekends. Before deadlines they are known for not leaving their studios and sleeping under their desks.

http://factsanddetails.com/skins/country/images/pmark.gif Japanese artists are trained in two-year courses at high-tech schools like the Nippon Engineering College. After graduating they get jobs in Japan’s anime studios. To cut costs Japanese anime producers are farming out work to South Korea. China and the Philippines. Poor pay and long working hours has resulted in the migration of workers to more lucrative jobs in the video game industry and a shortage of talent.

http://factsanddetails.com/skins/country/images/pmark.gif People employed on the anime industry are poorly paid. One survey found that those in their 20s earn only about $11,000 a year while those in their 30s earn only about $21,400 a year. Even, skilled veteran artists in their 40s and 50s earn only about $30,000 a year. Nearly 50 percent have no contacts and 40 percent have no healthcare coverage"

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=1775&catid=20&subcatid=135
>>
>>312396414
But the creator did like the English dub better. Source is in a wikipedia reference link.
>>
>>312396118
Actually I've been sitting on this for awhile now, I really do hate it when they more or less start talking in circles for several metaphorical laps before getting to the point, or at least continuing the conversation forward, I know some characters are legit victims of verbal diarrhea as an honest to god character trait, but fucking Christ do some characters do this for not other reason other then it was translated directly from Japanese.
This actually has nothing to do with the VA thing I realize but I can't figure any other time to drop this other then on /a/.
>>
File: Bad Translation The Game.jpg (4MB, 1920x6528px) Image search: [Google]
Bad Translation The Game.jpg
4MB, 1920x6528px
>>312396569
Literal translations don't work for a reason.
>>
>>312392983

Voice is extra important in RTS since you'll be hearing the same bloody words over and over and over and over again for the next 40 hours.

It's arguably along with, say, moba ironical enough, the genres where voice acting is most important.
>>
>>312396569
I don't mind it as long as it doesn't suffer from DBZ or Tarantino sameness.
But it just depends on the character I guess.

>page 9
ripip
>>
>>312396569
There isn't really a solution for that other than just cutting out animation frames or adding more content to the conersation, though. Both can go really bad really easily.
>>
>>312396414
English dubs can be fine if they get the original director to work on them. They did this with FLCL and they even used most of the Japanese voice cast in the English dub. It's impossible to know what the original director wanted or was aiming for without him working on the English dub. That's why they always suck. Low budgets and time constraints don't help either.
>>
Is this going to be the event which saves gaming?
>>
>>312396725
No, this won't amount to anything and we'll forget it happened next month.
>>
>>312396478

I'm that anon. I like some dubs, anon. I was able to watch Ghost in the Shell and FLCL with without cringing which is an extreme rarity with me for dubs (I always check them out on every dual audio torrent), so in my book they got a pass.

But I recently visited ANN, and to see so many dubfags in one place was strange. Their primary defences were:

>I don't find Japanese humor very funny- like, at all. I'd much rather hear cultural references, Japanese language puns, and the like removed and replaced with jokes I'd actually laugh at.
>Sometimes, cheesy can make comedies even funnier. Anyone else here listen to cheesy bad dubs for laughter? I do.
>I usually can watch anime on a 2nd screen while I'm working, or doing housework, dishes, cooking, etc...

They actually kept on bringing up the bad/comedy dubs over and over as the primary reason for watching dubs on the whole, especial Ghost Stories...I don't get it.

It's very weird to me for people to consider dubs a real creative medium on their own, when I view them more or less as just supposed to be a "service". Subs aren't always accurate, sure...but they don't overwrite and wholly replace such a huge part of the media like dubbing does.
>>
>>312396716
or you know they could watch the anime once before they hamfist the shit.
>>
>>312393267
>big celebrity/industry names
Dude, you just said it. That it wasn't an official connection or that they weren't involved with development doesn't mean it didn't happen.
>>
>>312389452
Animators work multiple jobs. So they make more than that graphic projects. Each individual job just pays pennies. It doesn't help that VAs demand ridiculous salaries and cause a horrible rift in pay differential for everybody else involved. It's so bad so that there has become an extreme shortage of animators in Japan. The ones that are in the market are severely over worked just trying to live. But they can only do so much. So there has become a real problem with new animes and etc where the animation quality is just bad. 1. because animators are so over worked they can't completely concentrate on doing one job well because that have to do several just to live. And 2: There just aren't enough animators in the job market anymore. For obvious reason. It doesn't pay so why do it? This has caused shows to literally hire unqualified "animators" off the street. All this results in terrible quality. A great example of this is Dragonball Super.
>>312389758
Who cares? Devs don't HAVE to hire from the union. The idea of unions was to promise a better quality of worker than a regular person off the street. They do this through union provided schooling and training. Which is why union workers are supposed to make higher wages and get the benefits they do. It's mandatory training all union members have to do. HOWEVER, SAG doesn't do this. They literally allow any "actor" to join and don't provide any training to guarantee a higher quality of worker. Any schmuck who is "associated" with the acting world but really just works in "locations" (which is just a glorified parking cop) can join SAG. I happen to know this personally as a fact. So SAG doesn't promise a better employee than a regular person off the street. Which is the fundamental reason for a Union and they don't do it. So there is literally no reason to hire a Union VA over anyone else. So who cares if they "blacklist" you. They aren't needed to begin with.
>>
>>312397093
GITS has good voices for their main characters though.
I should go back and see FLCL's originals though.
>>
>>312395780
She says something like "Do you got a stick up your ass or are you one of those dumbass gamergate creepshows??" after he's rude to her.
>>
>>312397093
>a "service"
Sorta agree, though I'd call it more of an "alternative viewing experience" stupid as that sounds. Like I don't think dubs warrant some ideological mindset to like or accept, they're just an option to have available. If it works, it works, if not then not. This is also why I think the people rallying for the end of dubbing are bit hard-headed. Sure, people start using dubs less, but why get rid of options? Unless the cost of dubbing significantly eats away at potential profits, I don't see any reason to stop other than "I don't like them existing."
>>
>>312395780
>...or are you one of those GamerGate creepshows?
Thread posts: 589
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.