[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHat did /tv/ think of Dunkino?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 25

File: IMG_2214.jpg (159KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2214.jpg
159KB, 1200x1200px
WHat did /tv/ think of Dunkino?
>>
I liked Ed Sheerans character
>>
>>85407625
Great film and an even better cinema experience.
Only plot driven surface-level casuals who think meaningless comments like "boring" or "nothing happens" are actual arguments call it a bad film.
>>
I enjoyed it
>>
a good film, not a good movie though
>>
>>85407625
the whitewashing kindof broke my suspension of disbelief. where are all of the black and arab soldiers?
>>
I'm not sure yet, the new half in the bag hasn't released yet
>>
Solid film. Decent atmosphere about it.
>>
>>85408310
I was glad that the only two black guys in the french troops were actual african colonised fully black niggers, not some mixed brown pretty boys or whatnot.
>>
>>85407625
Great cinema but will lack for those who like dialogue
>>
Frenchman :(
>>
>>85408310

They were there. Just in the back, quiet, and being "oppressed" like they actually were. No kids gloves. Just what actually happened.
>>
>>85407625
very good film, had my eyes glued to the screen. huge pleb filter though
>>
File: 34213431312.jpg (21KB, 318x315px) Image search: [Google]
34213431312.jpg
21KB, 318x315px
>Jeremy Jahns shit on it, wanting generic cliche war film #34,468

Honestly I feel like 99% of the people that didn't like Dunkirk are those mad that it wasn't like a Saving Private Ryan type of film
>>
>>85408481
>FRANÇAIS! Je suis français.
>>
>>85408895
My asshole was clenched 10x harder watching Dunkirk than it ever was watching Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge
>>
File: 1500754081633.jpg (34KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1500754081633.jpg
34KB, 550x512px
>>85408267
Excuse me
>>
>>85408958
>those people saying Dunkirk was boring

I mean, shit on the characterization all you want, but Dunkirk boring? Are you kidding me? I was in near-heart attack mode, edge of my seat, throughout the entire film
>>
>>85408958
this
b
h
seeing it in 70mm was immersive as fuck. some of those dog fight shots had me getting dizzy. a damn good experience, though I couldnt imagine it having half the impact watching it on the small screen
>>
I loved it.
>>
It was a good film and I'm glad I watched it.

Sure it could have been better. Everything was way too clean and tidy to capture the feeling of war. But it is good entertainment. Shouldn't be seen as a war movie, but more like a super high quality live action episode on some history channel.
>>
I wish I was one of those people that died in that film, except in real life.
>>
>>85408895
that's what my dad said after we finished watching it. probably a pretty common reaction amongst normies
>>
File: 1479885942504.jpg (57KB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
1479885942504.jpg
57KB, 600x444px
>>85407625
Only racist nazis liked Dunkirk which doesnt feature female soldiers or Black soldiers which means its not authentic since it isnt showing that diversity is what matters not history.
>>
>>85409131
Yes, the aerial shots were fucking great in 70mm. I'm kind of scared to go see it on anything other than 70mm now. Even the SDX theater by my house may not even do it justice.

The suspense and tension was perfect. The very beginning of the film set the stage perfectly with Tommy getting shot at by what I presume were tanks in the streets. Then pretty much every land perspective scene was him trying different ways to escape Dunkirk only to fall short every single time. To me that was what made this film so great. It did an amazing job of showing just how difficult and harrowing it was to get out of Dunkirk. I don't think anyone else could have done those men any better justice than what Nolan achieved.
>>
If Tom Hardy doesn't win best support role at the Oscars we fucking riot
>>
>>85409539
Jokes aside, this movie isn't getting a single acting nod at the Oscars. It's probably been said before but it's going to clean house with all the technical categories but won't win Best Picture or Movie.
>>
>>85409668

Why, because it wasn't DIVERSE enough?
>>
>>85409668

Yep, this. Dunkirk will absolutely sweep all the Cinematography and Sound Design categories but it has no chance at best actor/best picture
>>
Those fucking plane scenes, bruhs. How can any other film even compete?
>>
Is there any greater pleb filter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlDqFgQnqQ

How can other directors even compete?
>>
>>>/pol/134814947

D
>>
>>85410390
>>85410497
hivemind
>>
>>85407671
kek
>>
the problem I had with it is that things just sort of happened for two hours, with no characters having any real agency in any of the events.
The only character that made any meaningful decision was the pilot, and he was the only interesting subplot.
>>
>>85409131
>There are going to be people who's first time watching this movie will be at home or on some other small screen and they'll never get to feel the pant-shitting terror that is the jericho trumpets on the Stukas through a cinema sound system
>>
Easily Nolan's best film.
>>
>>85410497
nolan is based
>>
File: 1308079089001.png (65KB, 350x338px) Image search: [Google]
1308079089001.png
65KB, 350x338px
>>85408267
>>
>>85411344
>The only character that made any meaningful decision was the pilot, and he was the only interesting subplot.

>Peter not telling the shivering soldier george was dead
>The Old Man saving the entire boat from the german planes strafing run
>The whole subplot about the boat stranded waiting for high tide, and the soldiers turning on each other while they realized they are pinned down and will drown

did you even watch the movie or were you on your phone
>>
Pretty much this >>85407745. Will probably see it again before it leaves theaters.
>>
Did not like.

To be honest, I love ww2 movies and the trailers and promotions really excited me but I left the theater depressed and feeling I had just wasted 2 hours.

Good points:
- Realism
- The dogfights

Bad Points:
- Bad use of the soundtrack. They kept using that music that makes you feel like the clock is ticking, even in scenes that don't have any suspense.
- Bad acting. All the characters are emotionless.
- The dogfights had too many cuts, hard to stay immersed.

This just felt like Nolan sucking the dick of war heroes and trying to pay them hommage.

The real footage from a documentary is already more alive and interesting than this movie was.
http://youtu.be/w9A1elwb_J4?t=14m27s
>>
>>85407625
i couldn't understand anything the characters said. I liked the movie ok, but next time i'll watch with subtitles.
>>
I don't think it's a masterpiece by any means but holy shit Nolan has made one of the best pleb filters in years, almost every single complaint about it I've heard thus far is basically muh plot, muh characters or muh constant action
>>
>>85413893
yeah the british accent whispers and the blaring HANS ZIMMER SOUNDTRACK really fucked up the dialogue. There were so many little lines that I missed and although they weren't really that essential to understand what was going on I was getting super pissed off that I wasn't understanding them
>>
>>85411980
But before all that shit on the stranded boat even happens, you see from the pilot's seat the boat floating and all of them bailing out so it destroys any tension in that scene because you already know what happened.
>>
>>85413938
i didn't like that it wasn't brutal enough. everything felt so stark and hopeless and honestly i wanted more despair, more suffering.
>>
>>85409668
I could see Rylance getting a best supporting actor nomination.
>>
>>85413857
How is the acting bad? The main character's whole group gets massacred just before he gets to the beach. They are an army defeated. Please explain how to better "act" after retreating through France, losing battle after battle?
>>
>>85407625
Is a one hour drive to see this in 70mm imax worth it?
>>
>>85414010
That's fair but ultimately comes down to more of a creative choice, he wanted the Germans to be an existential threat of impending doom, at the same time it's not like the British were being completely and utterly annihilated on the beaches with alarming efficiency, it was more of a feeling of dread at the time rather than actual imminent military disaster
>>
>>85411344
>>85413857
t. plebs who got filtered
>>
>>85407625
I'm watching it tonight hype
>>
File: 1500597823003.jpg (400KB, 1112x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500597823003.jpg
400KB, 1112x900px
>>85407625
>no stupid love plot
>no stupid cliches
>reality based (kid and french guy actually die a horrible death)
>almost never see the enemy
>music fits almost every scene
>emotional patriotic ending

This is warkino
>>
>>85414071
Theres a difference between looking exhausted and demoralized and just looking like a robot.
>>
>>85411980
>The whole subplot about the boat stranded waiting for high tide, and the soldiers turning on each other while they realized they are pinned down and will drown
Which was shit because none of them have any characteristics other than not wanting to die, I didn't give a fuck when they turned on each other, especially the two outsiders of the group.

The movie was well shot, it was an interesting subject, and the sound was good. But the editing and the writing were just terrible, and maybe that'd be excusable if half the dialogue wasn't coming from soldiers.
>>
>>85407625
Visually spectacular, lots of arresting imagery. Fantastic sound, especially in IMAX. Very dry in the typical Nolan way though, and maybe moved too fast. Felt like a video game cutscene in some places.
>>
>>85407745
Accurate. It's not even "cold" or "emotionless" like people usually describe his movies.

> Mark Rylance almost crying when Hardy's friend crashes into the water, because he doesn't want him to die like his own son probably did.

>Based froggo rescuing people from drowning throughout the film and then drowning at the end.

> The scene at the end when the landing gear gets stuck and you're just hoping that big guy can land safely because he's done so much and saved fucking everyone

> Rylance's son having to learn to be a man and bottle up his feelings to avoid a scene and spare Scarecrow the guilt of having killed a kid that was there to rescue him

And the rest of it isn't mindless action either. It's nonstop terror. Some of the sinking scenes were borderline horror.
>>
>>85414101
If you care about the quality of the audiovisual experience then absolutely yes.

otherwise don't bother
>>
>>85408267
Is it a good flick?
>>
File: 1454648433182.jpg (22KB, 213x174px) Image search: [Google]
1454648433182.jpg
22KB, 213x174px
major spoilers for Dunkirk

>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>he almost drowned
>but then he didn't
>>
>>85414516
> Mark Rylance almost crying when Hardy's friend crashes into the water, because he doesn't want him to die like his own son probably did.

Holy shit, totally missed those two points coming together, thanks.
>>
>>85408938
J'y suis* fix that grammar anon or else
>>
>>85411351

>Normie watching Dunkirk at home while texting and eating a gluttonous dinner
>Planes screech as they prepare to blow the fuck out of the men on the pier and the boats
>Normie gets annoyed and turns the volume down
>Scene loses all impact
>Normie criticizes film on twitter then switches to some meme quiptastic bs flick instead

Watching thsoe dogfights and the scenes of the planes coming in to drop bombs in a gigantic 70MM IMAX was harrowing.
>>
The scene with the men cheering at the little boats arrival gave me some feels. Nolan did a good job building tension and conveying just how desperate the whole situation was.
The sound effects were great. Rifle shots were enough to make you jump.

>michael caine was the guy talking to the pilots at the beginning
>nolan baneposted and introduced a bane origin story at the end

Did anyone see the Darket Hour trailer at their viewing? I love Oldamn, but he does not sound like Churchill.
>>
>>85413980
>you already know what happened.

You don't know if any of the main cast are going to be thrown out of the boat. The audience saw the boat floating, so the assumption the viewer is supposed to have during that scene is that someone is going to get kicked out.
>>
>>85408267
it felt like a proof of concept for a movie
>>
>>85413980
But you don't know which of them survived. I was bummed as fuck when froggo drowned. Like, he saves so many people from drowning the entire film. And then he drowned in that boat. Sure you see the shot up boat from the Pilot's perspective but that doesn't mean anything. It doesn't deflate the tension of what happened to the characters.
>>
>>85408938
>mfw they didn't even get a French accent for the role
I liked Nolan's handling of the French forces, but this was ridiculous.

>maille yeux suis fronssaye
>>
>>85414101
Yes. An hour is nothing. But if you're a kneejerk reaction type person I would recommend against it. Try and see it twice.
>>
File: dunkerque2.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dunkerque2.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
Just watch this documentary from 14:27 to 19:49 it's already better than this movie.

https://youtu.be/w9A1elwb_J4?t=14m27s
>>
>>85414771
fucking this

I'll probably watch it at home because it's a damn fine film but definitely this is one of those films where if you didn't get the full cinema experience you'll never feel the full experience
>>
>>85414192
Froggo's death is fucking horrorkino. He drowns after saving scores of people from drowning throughout the film. kino.
>>
do you guys really think this movie was intense?

it was a bunch of guys drowning over and over again, it really loses it's impact after the first couple times
>>
>>85414990
Being the last one to plug the holes of the sinking vessel no less, rescuing the scores of other english soldiers who wanted to sacrifice him beforehand.

Was a bit mad that Nolan had announced that there'd be no French protags, so he'd be able to keep this reveal a secret (though it was pretty obvious ten minutes in when he hadn't said a word yet).
>>
>>85414192
>almost never see the enemy
why is this a good thing? i thought one of the biggest problems is the film simply didn't do a good job of showing how desperate the situation was. it never felt like an actual encirclement.
>>
>>85415198
I thought the prologue did an excellent job of getting that across. In reality the German lines were like 15km away from the beach but in the movie he's running from German fire and five seconds later makes it to the rearguard and five seconds later is on the beach. I thought it really gave the impression that the Germans were just over the hill, and the fact you never see any Germans in person makes you feel closer to the British soldiers who have probably barely seen the enemy up close to begin with.
>>
>>85414854
>>85414900

>But you don't know which of them survived
>You don't know if any of the main cast are going to be thrown out of the boat
Which is where the problem of characterization comes into play. I don't know any of these guys from Adam so why do I care if the frog dies or maybe it's the British platoon.
If I already know what happened in history and the movie shows me all the conflicts of the movie solved before they become problems and I don't care about the characters and their journey, what am I supposed to get out of the movie?
>>
Shit man. I hadn't been to the theater in almost a decade and I hadn't tried IMAX before.
This was probably a great film to do both with holy shit. Only complaint was that it was slightly too loud for the audio setup. Could hear distortion in the speakers.
>>
>>85415305
Yeah. 2bh I wish the score was less prominent and you could hear distant artillery behind them. The prologue kinda filled the gap, but it made no sense to me that the town looked pristine, yet the Germans were close enough to have patrols (or whatever that was) in contact with British soldiers basically a block from the beach. The air raids were very sparse and it didn't really feel like the Germans were close. IMO it added to the surreal nature of an army that size being that helpless.
>>
>>85415147
I'll admit the first couple of seconds into his introduction I didn't immediately think he was stealing a british uniform off of a corpse, but rather that he was just getting done fucking it.

I don't wanna be naive and innocent again. But I wish I weren't this fucking cynical.
>>
>>85415834
i thought he was digging a hole to shit in
>>
>>85415324
I cared about froggo because he'd chosen many times to go against his survivalist instincts to try and save many others. He kept putting himself at risk of dying or at the very least being exposed as a frenchman, because he was saving people. So I gave a damn about him. And sure, you're right about the boat being shown in the water from the pilot's POV, but froggo's fate, to me, wasn't clear until he died. That was a great moment, and it wasn't in any way spoiled or foreshadowed by the aerial shot of the boat. If anything the shot of the boat with the soldiers swimming away gave me a false sense of security, so when froggo died it was even more shocking. But when the main guy makes it out of the oil slick right at the end it's a welcome surprise. I didn't get as strong a reason from the film for liking him as I did for froggo, save for the fact that he tried to stand up for his friend. But it's all just situational tension. You may not think back to the guy fondly. But do you think the rescuers who went into Dunkirk knew all of these guys personally? No. They just saw a bunch of poeple in a really shit situation and knew they had to help. There was no judgment in the heat of the battle. That's partly why they rescue Murphy and don't throw him overboard after he kills the kid.

And the film did give solid reasons for caring about Rylance and his crew. If you can't dig a character that's charging headfirst into a warzone to rescue people in need, I don't know what to tell you. But even if that isn't enough for you, you get that great bit about his son having been a Hurricane pilot that was killed 3 weeks into the war. Now this isn't the sole reason for why he goes on the rescue mission. That seems to be a measured decision on his end. But the one rash decision he does make in the entire film, of going after the pilot, is because of his son's death.
>>
>>85416271

I couldn't even tell froggo from the other 399,998 faceless dark haired white guys aimlessly walking around and didn't even notice he drowned in the end
>>
>>85415198
>why is this a good thing?

An unseen foe is often the most frightening. By never being seen (until they capture Farrier at the very end), only felt, the Germans cease to be merely people and become a sort of inescapable force bearing down on the trapped army. If you could see them, the spell would be broken - they'd just be young men, little different from the French & English.
>>
Just left the theater. This was a movie about how Hollywood wants to make cowardice cool

t. Part of Iraqi freedom
>>
If you didn't like this movie I hope you kill yourself
>>
I just home from watching dunkirk and I just have to say this is by far one of thee worst war movies ever made. A character in the movie literally bumps his fucking head and goes blind and then fucking dies. A gliding plane with no fuel out duels a german fighter and saves a bunch of stranded dipshits on a beach. Eight retards in the hull of a small boat try plugging over twenty thousand holes in it as it is sinking. Forgettable score. Forgettable characters. And finally the best part is that they LIED absolutely LIED about why all those limey faggots weren't fucking massacred on that beach.

Dunkirk should have been ten minutes long and it should have been the conversation between hitler and that fat faggot churchhill hashing out a deal which later would be broken by that kike loving blob.
>>
>>85410497
>says he made a film that is suspenseful
>no suspense in it

bravo retard
>>
>>85418601
>>>/dailystormer/
>>
Did the movie explain how Cillian Murphy ended up on that sunken boat in the middle of no where?

We see him escaping on a lifeboat in that night scene. Are we to assume that he gets on another boat later on, which also sinks?
>>
Saw it yesterday already forgotten most of it, forgettable stuff. If it comes on TV I'd change channels
>>
The main problem with the film is obvious from perusing this thread:
Name a single character.

>not "the pilot" or "the froggo"
>not the actor's name
>not a single mention of a name in this thread

I tried to remember a character's name immediately after and the only one I could was the idiot boy George. And now the Nolanfags will rush to IMDB to prove how wrong I am, but I know and you know no one has any connection to anyone in the film.
>>
>>85420135
pls be bait
>>
Easily one of Nolan's worst films. He should stick to scenes of exposition. Zimmer and the sound crew are the only saving grace of this crap.
>>
>>85419519
I thought he was found on top of a sinking uboat. That also confused me.
>>
>>85409029
It gets tedious in the latter half, after the pilot is saved from the sinking plane.
>>
>>85420135
Their names are not important. The important part is you see humans trying to survive a shit situation. Go back to plebbit and keep watching shit tier movies that spoon feed you.
>>
>>85415140
thought the same too. the score was pretty much the same too. just strings accelerating
>>
>>85414101
i live 5 mins from an imax. i need to do this.
>>
>>85414101

I would absolutely drive 1 hr (maybe even a little longer serious) to see Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm. I have to settle for watching it in a regular digital cinema and I enjoyed it.
>>
File: 1335150854351.png (24KB, 684x737px) Image search: [Google]
1335150854351.png
24KB, 684x737px
>that screaming and crunching when the boat bumped into the pier
>>
>>85420788
>Their names are not important.
>maximum overautism

>The important part is you see humans trying to survive a shit situation.
I didn't see humans. I saw brown hair in brown uniforms. The important part is connecting to these people, and there was none of that. There wasn't a person in the clothes to actually care about.
>>
>>85409719
Yes, why else do you think Moonlight won best picture?
>>
File: 1499011891096.jpg (97KB, 626x800px) Image search: [Google]
1499011891096.jpg
97KB, 626x800px
>>85421217
>There wasn't a person in the clothes to actually care about.
>>
>>85421354
I notice your quote has a name with it.Want to know why, and not just "Some dude that said something cool once?"
>>
>>85414577

underrated post
>>
>>85408363
If they hate on it I'm done with them. This movie gave me an experience I've sorely missed: a kino experience
>>
>>85414192
kid=George?
>>
>>85407625
Loved it. Made me feel proud to be English.
Loved the spitfires, loved the sound.
Can't imagine it being anything better than mediocre experience with home viewing though, unless you have a kick ass sound system.
This is a movie for Brits.
>>
>>85414839
I've done so much research into the Evacuations. Everytime I see or read about the Little Ships of Dunkirk, I tear up a bit. This movie man, I was near to breaking point when Branagh looked over at the ships. Almost cried like a baby
>>
>>85414101
Absolutely.
>>
>>85420135
Pilots were Farris and Collins. Froggo's real name was never revealed so he's Gibson, bc thats the identity he stole. I just call him froggo because I like to. Main character was Tommy. Boat people were Peter, George, and Mr. Dawson.

The boat crew and the pilots were incredibly easy to identify. The soldiers were a little tougher, I'll concede. But you have to be not paying much attention if you can't see that the film did in fact invest in its characters and their arcs. Of course, some got more attention than others, but your criticism is baseless. Even if you watched the movie in a theater where it was tough to hear their names, it doesn't matter, because the characters are immediately identifiable and distinguishable based on their actions.
>>
>>85424267
>And now the Nolanfags will rush to IMDB to prove how wrong I am, but I know and you know no one has any connection to anyone in the film.
>>
>>85424267
The soldiers aren't supposed to matter on an individual basis, which is why most of them are unnamed. Even the main character is named 'Tommy' after the generic name for a British soldier. They are supposed to be one big mass of frightened humanity, you are not intended to sympathize with any individual soldiers.
>>
>>85424468
Glad you agree there was a complete lack of characterization.
>>
>>85424341
Why are you so fucking insecure? There's plenty characters I couldn't name, but not for lack of memorable stuff they did. It's because the movie was loud as fuck and I didn't catch some of the names. Even so I remember all the characters for one reason or another. If I'd looked the characters up after reading that dumbass post I would've named more. These are the ones I clearly remember. The one concession I'll make is that I know the lead character's name was Tommy from a clip I saw with Nolan talking about him. But even so, I'll repeat the very simple, basic point that for soem reason can't seem to penetrate your thick, lead-filled skull - just because yuou can't name a character, doesn't mean you can't identify them. You fucking tard. Ever seen The Good The Bad The Ugly? Fistfull of Dollars? For a Few Dollars More? You know what Eastwood's known as in those films? The Man with No Name. A name does not an identity make, you fucking mongoloid. Learn to argue.

If your point is that people in the film weren't memorable and didn't have any distinguishing characteristics, then fucking say that, and we can all get on with letting you know that you're fucking duller than a fucking rock and too autistic to pick up on personality traits.

Fuck off summerfag.
>>
>>85424571
I do agree there was a complete lack of characterization, I don't think it ruins the film which is obviously interested in other things.

Nolan is pretty shit at characters anyway so maybe it's for the best he decided to give up on them.
>>
>>85424577
>triggered so hard
>>
>>85424612
Nolan is shit at most things. Like making movies.
>>
>>85424468
>>85424571

I agree that characterization is not something with which the film is very concerned, and for good reason. But it's the "backstory" style of characterization. I'm just saying that even without names, the characters would have been easily distinguishable and identifiable to anyone with half a brain.

But the civilian boat crew did have a ton of characterization. They were not blank slates or amalgams in the least.
>>
>>85410497
>Suspense is the most visual language of film there is.

Literal nonsense. Nolan is consistently good without ever being great.
>>
Trash
>>
>>85424612

Fair point. Most of his characters tend to be some variation of the basic noir "solitary man with a fucked up past tries to wrestle with inner demons".

I loved Mark Rylance's characterization though. Cillian Murphy got an arc in a really weird way, cuz you see his beginning as a really confident reassuring leader of men AFTER seeing him in his broken down state. Peter grew too, as did froggo, and I don't even think I need to talk about how great big guy was.

Nolan kept it simple and it worked like magic.
>>
The best silent 21 century movie.
>>
Anyone else see it on film? If so, what format (35mm, 70mm, IMAX 70mm) was it and what were your trailers?

I saw it in IMAX 70mm and the trailers were The Last Jedi (regular AR), Blade Runner 2049 (regular AR), and Justice League (full 1.43:1 AR).

Also, what was the aspect ratio of your screening? Curious as to what to expect when I see it for a second time in AVX.
>>
>>85425243
I saw it in 70MM IMAX and I had the same trailers Not sure about the last question but I saw it at the Lincoln Square AMC in NYC
>>
Good, Some parts were totally epic.

But for me I need that human connection you get in Saving Private Ryan. Just because a movie tries to be 100 percent realistic doesn't mean it will translate well to film.

Enjoyed myself though.
>>
File: 1480833393382.png (371KB, 832x868px) Image search: [Google]
1480833393382.png
371KB, 832x868px
>that rimlock scene
>>
>>85421217
If their names were spoonfed to you repeatedly over a 5 minute period would the film be better? Kill yourself pleb
>>
>>85414593
>Holy shit, totally missed those two points coming together, thanks.
there's a bunch of tiny shit like that, my personal favorite being when the those guys get back and there's a tiny sequence where we're shown cillian's character realizing what happened while the guy who bottled his feelings notices because of a glance from his dad

so fucking ace, so glad that nolan finally said fuck dialogue
>>
>>85408267
kino post
>>
>>85425363
The shape of the picture. If you saw it in 70mm IMAX it was 1.43:1 for the majority, and (I think) 1.9:1 for the narrower dialogue sequences.

That question is really only aimed at those who saw regular 35mm and 70mm. Sounds like there's a few mattes of the movie from what I can gather: 2.20:1 in regular digital showings, 2.35:1 in 35mm and 70mm, mixed 1.43:1/1.9:1 in IMAX 70mm/Xenon/Laser.
>>
>>85418601
Should have won the war faggot
>>
>>85425846
What do you think of George dying overall? Tho I did like how he affected Scarecrow. But i was just like "Did he just die??" It just felt so awkward to me. Especially after that little build up of him in the beginning. "I'll be useful sir" The scene later when he tells the son about how he always told he wasn't amounting to anything. Just was so cheesy to me. Then when he gets in the newspaper I was just shocked cause I didn't think that moment was earned at all. Am I missing something? I'm trying to see what ur seeing.
>>
>>85426210
It was a local paper. Small towns usually don't have much going on, and the kid did volunteer to help, and paid with his life.
>>
>>85418601
>A gliding plane with no fuel out duels a german fighter
>duels
>fighter
everyone go ahead and laugh at this retard
>>
>>85421149
>everybody trampling over the wounded soldier that they tried so hard to save in a mad rush to get off
Fucking brutal, especially the scenes where the ships carrying the red cross nurses and auxiliaries get hit
>>
>>85425846

Yeah, there definitely is.

Shit like realizing that the wounded guy they were trying to use as a ticket to get out was ostensibly gonna be dead cuz of them.

Harry Styles was pretty much a dbag with no convenient Hollywood tier redemption that you might naturally expect for the prettyboy of the cast.

The guys under the burning oil probably couldnt breathe even when they surfaced cuz the fire was burning up most of the oxygen along the surface.

The one that's grown on me the most is the brief scene you see with Cillian Murphy on the boat with all his men after the torpedo attack. He looks so calm and reassuring, and he's a collected stoic leader to all his men. Then you realize all those guys probably died on his watch and that's why he's so fucked up. (also that shot of him sitting on top of the destroyed ship's hull alone in the cold as the Moonstone approached him was kino)
>>
>>85425994
Jesus Christ that's a lotta formats... I wonder if the Hateful Eight roadshow helped lots of places to prepare and get practice for film projection and indirectly helped Nolan out.
>>
>>85426210
i was only referring to that fleeting moment of glances and fast edits immediately when they get back, not anything after in the concluding sequence

it's the same shit from the rest of the movie really, the 'suspense porn' that runs the whole thing.
the moment he hits his head was kinda random to me (this british soldier is attacking the people he's fighting for??), but by then the movie had already insinuated that 'shivering soldier' is a prick, and after that, like i said above, george's narrative echoed the larger structure of the movie.

aside from that i think there was a bit of a foil thing going on between the two kids, hell, now that i'm typing it out it seems obvious to me that george was in there purely as a narrative device for peter, his efforts with the newspaper included.

before he dies, the main kid we follow from the beginning *almost* dies as well, while the camera goes LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE DYING IN THE FIRE. we learn about george's death only after we think that the danger has passed, making it typical of the movie and nolan in general
>>
>>85409668
I could see Best Picture and Best Director, even winning Best Director. If I had to pick a Best Picture winner from everything I've seen this year, it would probably either be this or Logan.
>>
>>85426942
>Shit like realizing that the wounded guy they were trying to use as a ticket to get out was ostensibly gonna be dead cuz of them.
the shot of that guy being engulfed by water.... god damn

i remember seeing him deny those guys entry into their little boat and immediately thinking NOLAN IS GOING TO USE THE (later shown to be) FRENCH GUY

i also wonder if nolan was trying to make commentary through who lives and who dies, and how they die, i'm suspicious that nolan didn't have those guys die in a fire in the ocean just for the hell of it
>>
>>85427157

inb4 you get ripped apart for having this opinion. I hope you don't though. But I think we all know Nolan put out his kino just a bit too early, and it's going to get the tables turned on itself by other stuff like Detroit and any other Oscar bait that might be coming out in December.
>>
>>85427390

Oh yeah definitely. Frenchman dying was absolutely a allegory for how the French stayed back and helped their allies escape because they knew their own country was going to be unable to help once it was under Nazi rule.

It's sad that Nolan's getting slammed for saying there are no French leads in the film when he clearly did it to preserve the suspense he was going for in that scene. Also shows you who in the press actually watched the film before criticizing it and who didn't.
>>
I thought Nolan's last 3 movies were self indulgent bloated tripe, is Dunkirk still worth a watch?
>>
>>85427396
i think its the best nolan by default, it's a complete consolidation of everything nolan has done up to this point, with the fat cut out

THAT FUCKING SEQUENCE WHERE THE SAME PLANE IS ABOUT TO ATTACK AND NOLAN CUTS BETWEEN TO POINTS IN TIME AND BIG GUY SAVES THE DAY
>>
I enjoyed it, but its a film I would never see at home, so I'll only ever watch it once.

It deserves to be seen on a huge screen with a great sound system. Fuck my ears were literally hurting after the movie the gunfire was so loud.
>>
>>85427478
Dunkirk didn't feel bloated at all.
>>
>>85427549
Cool, how does he handle the large scale action. I don't think he's been particularly good at handling it in the past (inception snow fortress battle, large battle at the end of TDKR). Is this an area where he's improved?
>>
>>85427462
>Oh yeah definitely. Frenchman dying was absolutely a allegory for how the French stayed back and helped their allies escape because they knew their own country was going to be unable to help once it was under Nazi rule.
oh wow, sooooo what's the ship getting shot full of holes supposed to mean haha
shit, i didn't know there was a french lead quota in effect. god, what would i do without critics to tell me what to care about
>>
>>85427604
not that guy

anything that happens in the movie happens for the sake of suspense and elongating the moments of anticipation
which i think is good for nolan, cutting any pretense of action being for spectacle instead of the service of suspense
>>
>>85427825
Good to hear. I'll grab a ticket then.
>>
The only review that counts including Armond White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRtwftiVaU
>>
>>85428018
>ahahahah i always confuse these three movies ahah
>memento.... reservoir dogs... ahaha

>It gets worse
>>
File: dunkirk.png (3KB, 524x17px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk.png
3KB, 524x17px
What am I in for?
>>
>>85407625
Pure unadulterated kino

Only a woman wouldn't understand this kino
>>
>>85428925
Shit. At least wait for Bluray rip if you really don't wanna to go to cinema
>>
File: 1409956509067.jpg (69KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
1409956509067.jpg
69KB, 467x700px
>>
File: 1493247057321.png (311KB, 1465x1209px) Image search: [Google]
1493247057321.png
311KB, 1465x1209px
My problem with the film was the portrayel of the soldiers on the beach. Nolans didn't feel like there was 400,000 men there, more like 60. Yes he did have one shot of a lot of soldiers on the pier but that was very brief.

Atonement accomplished this sense of scale and even did it with a tracking shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU
>>
File: Pepe_3894cc_6045354.jpg (114KB, 900x585px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_3894cc_6045354.jpg
114KB, 900x585px
>>85408267
This guy gets it.
>>
>>85429238
i think you're right, but i also think it doesn't matter; he's not obliged to do this.
i do think there is something to be said about how people are actually doing shit here, in the beach scenes of dunkirk everyone is standing around in very aesthetically pleasing formations, and only doing that
>>
>>85429095
I barely even want to see the flick, let alone wait to see it. I'll just get it over with.
>>
>>85430541
I'll just say that you are missing out on one of the best cinema experiences in recent times. The sound is 50% of the tension, and you'll get fuckall with the sound of a camrip.
>>
Look at what a simple decent haircut can do to someone's looks.
Take notice my fellow neckbeards.
>>
>>85431066
do you have other peoples from dunkirk haircuts? I badly need a new one and I really enjoy this classy look
>>
>>85431183
It's a basic hitler youth haircut, just not buzzed completely on the sides.
>>
>>85431066
>>85431183
You can do that shit yourself in half an hour, just trim the sides not too short, then pick and cut strands of hair with scissors for the top
>>
>>85431516

That's a really bad idea, do not follow this advice.
>>
>>85431066
>take notice on how to look like a nu-male faggot
>>
>>85431548
t. receeding balding thin haired slightly obese neckbeard
>>
dunkirk is a pretentious Oscar bait vanity project by a hack director who can barely be called a writer.
>>
>>85431685
It's too big your small brain. Go watch planet of the niggers.
>>
>>85431543
Are you this bad with your hands?
>>
>>85431736

war for the planet of the apes > a bunch of britbong stuck on a beach doing jack shit
>>
>>85431685
>full white non-american male cast
>war movie, a british one also
>"oscar bait"
sure thing buddy

Also what's pretentious about it? It's completely straightforward and simple. Are you just spewing buzzwords or what?
>>
>>85431828
t. plot driven surface-level filthy casual
>>
>>85411980
the movie is a literal pleb filter. If someone complains about shit like that anon did they either 1. didn't watch the movie or 2. are literal retards with no attention span.

I wish more people would actually watch a movie before talking out of their ass. Everything is explained in the film, it's almost spoonfed again just because audiences are that fucking stupid, yet you still have retards coming out of the woodwork saying they didn't understand this and that and didn't like that or the other for the simple fact that they can't understand what they're seeing because they're too fucking stupid.
>>
>>85414276
film yourself acting one scene from dunkirk better than what the actors did RIGHT FUCKING NOW and webm it here.
then I'll judge your performance and objectively tell you if you did a better job or not. otherwise just fuck off.
>>
Do any of you gents have the pic of Hardy and the burning Spitfire?
>>
>>85431909

What is there not to be understood? The Brits need to be evacuated from the beach and there's Germans fucking their shit up causing widespread panic.
>>
>>85431970
Most of /tv/ is full of idiots who don't even know anything about Dunkirk. I talked to a normie at work and he didn't understand why Tom Hardy got "arrested" at the end.
>>
File: 1497250727690.jpg (13KB, 414x415px) Image search: [Google]
1497250727690.jpg
13KB, 414x415px
>>85414516

It didn't occur to me why he was so desperate to check if the pilot lived when I watched the movie, but now it clicked... I wasn't prepared for these feels.
>>
File: 1500910843799.jpg (40KB, 539x600px) Image search: [Google]
1500910843799.jpg
40KB, 539x600px
>>85431957
Here you go lad
>>
>>85432033
thanks anon
>>
>>85432021
>go watch Dunkirk on the weekend
>don't understand the flick at all
>some autist at work looks down on me and tells me I had to watch a movie called "World War Two" first to understand this one
Pretentious shite for dweebs innit
>>
>>85431838

look up Oscar bait on wikipedia it fits the definition nicely. it's pretentious because its 106 of Nolan making the audience feel like they're looking at something when they're is absolutely nothing going on at all. Maybe britbongs might have a bias towards it but as an American i could care less, the japs in letters from iwo jima are more likable
>>
>>85432021

To be fair, that was a bit confusing, I mean the beaches were filled to the brim with Brits when he was about to land the plane, and then somehow he couldn't be saved with them.

What am I missing here?
>>
>>85432083
>What am I missing here?
your a pleb who just got FILTERD lol or something like that
>>
>>85432081
it's interesting to me to see comments like this and worrying because it pretty much confirms what the general audience wants and feels they need to get to consider a movie being good or even understand it.
A lot of people desperately need clear, outlined characters that they can relate to. They also need the simplest type of storytelling (oftentimes linear and chronological) to understand what's happening.

judging by some reactions to dunkirk with many people bitching about a lack of characters reinforces this idea that people cannot understand a situation or experience feelings or try and understand a scene if it doesn't have two talking heads literally explaining the action and conflict to them. it's a sad reality that commercial filmmaking has ruined film and has turned it into another saturday night no-brainer where you just have everything handed to you.

no longer can someone make a film that tries to discuss something or tries to engage the audience into thinking about various subjects. nowadays, all films need to have a straight good guy - bad guy story with lovable and relatable characters that spout exposition every 5 seconds so the audience doesn't get lost.

I heard about this thing some time ago and refused to believe it:
>you have to repeat something 3 times to make it clear to the dumbest member of the audience
every movie is dumbed down to the point that the actual village idiot in the room can understand it. money has ruined everything...
>>
>>85432081
If you know anything about the oscars then you would know that war films are never favorites for any of the big categories like Best Picture/Actor/Director. Dunkirk will sweep the technical categories and that's it, maybe a nomination nod to Rylance for supporting actor while the big categories will go to a whatever political/hollywood industry themed flick that the Academy jerks off to.

Also meaningless comments like "boring" or "nothing happens" indicate nothing about the quality of the film, or it's "pretentiousness". You were expecting a usual WE THE BEST LET'S KILL ALL THE EBIL NAZIS SO HEROIC SO PATRIOTIC SO VICTORIOUS shootout warflick and got an actual suspensful thriller that is more similar to The Wages of Fear than any war movie.
>>
>>85432248
>They also need the simplest type of storytelling - but that's dunkirk in a nutshell

also i just found the Brits annoying I'm not even a /pol/tard and i found myself rooting for the Germans, at least the japs in LFIJ weren't a bunch of pussy's and fought to the death.
>>
>>85432266

true, i wanted a war film not 106 minutes of Britbongs drowning. lol
>>
>>85432366
>at least the japs in LFIJ weren't a bunch of pussies and fought to the death
too bad their ridiculous """""honour code""""" literally has them commit suicide rather than surrender.
too bad the main fucking character is an actual coward in their eyes for refusing to commit suicide by grenade.
what the fuck are you even talking about?
also
>that's dunkirk in a nutshell
what is? do you understand that you're mixing things up? do you understand what storytelling is?
nolan turned a fairly straightforward situation into something a bit more elaborate and entertaining to watch by splitting it into 3 timelines of various lengths. it's a different approach from something like saving private ryan for example, where the focus is on character drama and the movie being more a character study of people in the face of war and the story is told in a linear fashion so you can empathize with said characters.
>>
>>85432266
>actual suspensful thriller

also how can there be suspense if you don't care about the people that are being killed? lol
>>
>Styles won the role after auditioning against hundreds of candidates.[17] Nolan was unaware of Styles' level of fame as a singer before casting him.[20]
>>
>>85432459

the main character was a pussy i'll give you that, the rest of the japs were cool tho.

>splitting it into 3 timelines

nah that was just one timeline horribly edited
>>
>>85432493
I believe the choice of having styles in the film as well has have the movie rated pg-13 or whatever was a conscious decision on either nolan's part or the studio's.
Imagine this
>make a war movie
>war movies don't have much commercial appeal
>movie is about dunkirk, something the vast majority of north americans know absolutely nothing about.
>people know about harry styles doe
>harry styles fans are teens mostly doe
so what do you do? make it pg13 and cast a literal pop-superstar to draw in the crowds. excellent business approach t b h f a m
>>
>>85432575
the editing was great though. this might be subjective to some people, but technically, the editing was on point.
>>
>>85407625
As a German, not that great considering the terrible mistake it turned out to let them go.
>>
>>85432635

overall I think it was nothing special, a vast improvement though over his last film though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRCM0jWEQjQ
>>
>>85411344
What do you think war is?
>>
>>85432575
If you payed any attention you would know that the air narrative takes place in one hour, the sea narrative in one day and the land narrative in one week, how else would you do it?
Otherwise you would have Tom Hardy sitting in an airbase somewhere sipping tea and wanking off to pictures of dear old Marge, and Dunkirk wasn't about that fake empathy/sentimentality, it was about being thrown into the event itself.
>>
>>85432650
>not that great considering the terrible mistake it turned out to let them go.

but but muh luftwaffe will stop them!
>>
File: xx.png (1MB, 878x527px) Image search: [Google]
xx.png
1MB, 878x527px
How do I get girl to watch Dunkirk with me?
>>
>>85433097

maybe, i like to think it all takes place in one day and one night. but to be honest i didn't really keep track of time, i was too busy clapping everytime a German airplane sunk a britbong ship. the first scene with stukas received a standing ovation.
>>
>>85433324
If you don't like her just tell it to her straight, ain't no need for that.
>>
>>85408958
>>85409029
Complete opposite for me. Hacksaw Ridge I was on the edge of my seat because I cared about the protagonist. I didn't know anything about the britbongs and I couldn't give shit.
>asshole clenched
>edge of my seat
Why? You were scared that nameless non-characters were going to get killed? It was more a documentary than a movie minus the historical accuracy.
>DUDE A COUPLE HUNDRED PEOPLE STANDING IN LINE ON A BEACH ONLY GETTING ATTACKED BY 1-3 PLANES AT A TIME
Was this a low budget movie or something? It didn't look like there was anywhere near 300,000 people were trying to leave. The threat of the germany army wasn't even there.They got attacked by a couple planes and some soldiers shot up a tiny boat. Wow. You only felt a faux sense of dread because of the tense music and nothing more.
>>
>>85433807
posted this in another thread, might explain it to you plebs:
there are scenes with the lines of soldiers waiting to get on a boat to gtfo. now, I noticed some people comment something along the lines of:
>it doesn't look like there's 400.000 men there
and this is because while nolan did show lines of tens of men waiting, the choice of lens and the blocking of the scene made it look like they're fairly far apart. from a filmmaking perspective, this creates isolation, even if it involves large groups of people.
there are hundreds of men on that beach, but the way they were shown implied that while there were many men there, they were all relatively alone and exposed. having them spread out like that creates a feeling of uneasiness, as opposed to have them all bunched up together to create a strong visual image of many men together, implying strenght. the goal here was to show that they were defeated and stranded/isolated, and they had to show that visually. I feel they did a pretty good job in this regard, again, from a filmmaking perspective.
I can also elaborate on the repetitive nature of some scenes, namely with people drowning:
the mole timeline happens over the course of a week. during that week, men repeatedly tried to get off that beach and failed, some died, some returned and tried again, and again, and again. Just like murphy's character. when you see him in the night scene he's fairly hopeful that they'll get out of there. but by the time the boat finds him he's shellshocked, specifically because the repetitive nature of being bombed over and over again for an entire week and having it seem impossible to escape from that situation.
so the repetitive nature of the scenes acts as a way to show the violent, pummeling, repetitive attacks of the enemy that would just not relent. I feel it does a good job of creating tension/desperation because everyone wants it to end.
>>
>>85433872
tl;dr
>>
>>85433919
kill yourself then.
too stupid to read a few lines of text, too stupid to follow a movie through to the end to understand what you're seeing.
you are too stupid to live.
>>
>>85433952
I didn't even watch the flick, stay mad virgin
>>
Was torn out of it within the first 5 minutes. That fucking landscape shot when he was burying the dead guy and there is a house in the background that was clearly designed in the 1970s.

Nolan is a hack and a cheater. He relies heavily on Zimmer and his movies would have no impact without him. And no, Nolan, having two officers talk about how 300,000 men were evacuated does not make up for you only hiring 200 extras.
>>
>>85434071
>didn't even watch the film
>is actually proud to be a moron that shitposts on a taiwanese basket weaving forum
summer can't end soon enough
>>
>>85431066
He looks cute either way.
>>
>>85434107
who said anything about pride? man you're stupid as fuck. summer's gonna end and you'll go back being "that kid" at school
>>
>>85434174
kek, kys
>>
>>85414516
Did the French guy die? I know someone drowned on the ship, but after that happens you get a shot of somebody standing on the beach and looking out toward the sea before turing around and walking to the city, and I was almost positive that that was the French guy acknowledging his selfishness and going to wait with the French troops
>>
>>85434225
relax incel
>>
>>85409499
>To me that was what made this film so great. It did an amazing job of showing just how difficult and harrowing it was to get out of Dunkirk. I don't think anyone else could have done those men any better justice than what Nolan achieved.

This is what made Dunkirk a great war film, the only other film to top this sense of futile escape probably being the German production "Stalingrad".

It's very similar, conscripts wearing rags for clothes and trying desperately to hitch a ride on some of the last hospital flights out back to german lines. You FELT like you were there trying to escape the frozen wasteland with them, Dunkirk captured that feeling too.

BRAVO NOLAN
>>
>>85414839
Cried like a bitch at both this part and when they got back to the train station.
>>
>>85434071
>ameritard triggered so hard that he feels the need to make multiple posts against a film he didn’t even see just because he can't fathom the idea of a ww2 film being anything other than the usual WE THE BEST LET'S KILL ALL THE EBIL NAZIS SO HEROIC SO PATRIOTIC SO VICTORIOUS american shootout flick

Must be a pretty sad existence
>>
Holy shit all these "muh characterization" plebs are just embarrassing themselves.

The fact that you can't sympathize or relate to the characters is really pathetic. The main character, Tommy, is characterized solely through what we can see and deduce; he's very young (probably about 18), very scared, and very desperate to survive. This makes him instantly relatable and likable because that's probably exactly how I would feel in that situation; out of my depth, frightened for my life, and desperate to escape. You can project any identity you want on to that character given the little we know about him and the film actually works better than most war films. Take something like Hacksaw Ridge. I have a harder time relating to Andrew Garfield because I can't relate to his bizarre conservative religion and pacifist agenda. I admire his resolve, but I can't project my own experience onto his character and thus can't relate to his plight. By giving the character a very specific and niche characterization, Gibson fails at establishing a link with the audience. By identifying his characters as human beings in an untenable situation, Nolan makes me feel for these people regardless of their background.
>>
>>85434883
ruined your whole tirade right from the first assumption, good job
>>
>>85420135
I know them by face not by name, and that's all that was necessary. Caring about character development and plot over cinematic's is the pleb give away.
>>
Lowden and Hardy were charismatic as fuck as the pilots. That whole gliding sequence and the soldiers watching on knowing he probably won't land safely despite coming to save them was kino.
>>
>>85433339
IT DOES NOT TAKE PLACE IN ONE DAY AND ONE NIGHT
YOU FUCKING PLEB
>>
>>85414101

Just came back from seeing it in IMAX. it's amazing, do it.
>>
File: DUNKINO.png (2MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DUNKINO.png
2MB, 1200x1200px
You're using the wrong pic Anon
>>
File: cia pepe.jpg (103KB, 800x884px) Image search: [Google]
cia pepe.jpg
103KB, 800x884px
>>85408267
>>85408310
fpbp
>>
Trying to figure out if it was regular artillery or if they used rockets when shelling the beach, could just be Hollywood sound effects but that VRRRRRR before it hit was scary as fuck.
>>
>>85408481

Really hoped he would make it, he was just a scared kid.

>>85408895

Dunkirk is not the kind of war movie people expect but something they should see, 80% of war is dreadful waiting for something bad to happen and 20% is trying to survive that hell.
>>
>>85414598
He's right and you're wrong.
>>
>>85407625
>Film tagline: "How could this series of events get any worse?"
>>
>>85416942
>t. Ididnotunderstandtheunderlyingmessageandthemes.
FTFY
>>
I liked the film. But why did the beach look so empty?
>>
>>85437280
>But why did the beach look so empty?
Dunkirk is a shithole, and in that part of France even in May-June the weather is mostly shit so there's not a lot of people there.
>>
File: Snappy_Filename.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Snappy_Filename.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>85414598
>>
File: tg_i-never-asked-for-it.jpg (53KB, 645x967px) Image search: [Google]
tg_i-never-asked-for-it.jpg
53KB, 645x967px
>have an uncle like Nolan
>get into SAG effortlessly for free
>while millions sweat blood and tears to get into

The biological lottery is a bitch. I am jelly and not even an actor.
(Did you notice how many Nolans are in the casting credits? All his family).

>mfw just a regular nobody
>>
>>85411344
>no agency in a war film
>bad

hollywood has convinced you that an individual soldiers actions can change the course of the war, when in reality it's a whole mass of humanity following orders. 400 000 soldiers how many of them do you think, just waited and did absolutely nothing of note on that beach?
>>
Did Styles had sex with Emma Thomas while Christopher was watching from the corner fapping to get this part?

There is no way Christopher was like "Maybe I ll get that kid from that band I like to listen to on my turntable".
>>
>all those drowning scenes
jesus_christ_how_horrifying
>>
File: 125501925114.jpg (140KB, 706x514px) Image search: [Google]
125501925114.jpg
140KB, 706x514px
Those troops didn't look like 400000 on that beach. More like 40000.
Is this another MUH 6 GORILLION cases of history?
>>
>>85434280
French drowned after spending the entire movie saving other people from drowning.
>>
>>85408895
Yup, most people I've talked too said they were expecting it to be like SPR.
>>
>>85433872
Everyone complaining should read this because this dude actually explains things really well.
>>
>>85432083
He landed on another part of the beach and most of the Brits, if not all of them, had evacuated by then.
>>
>>85438423
>the screams
>>
>>85416774
Only guy with curly hair. You fag
>>
>making a movie about getting raped
>>
Anonymous Brits Drowning: The Movie
>>
>>85407625
Didst thou loves it? Keenly?
>>
>>85432033
That's a big fire.
>>
>>85414958

love my heroic jism
>>
>>85418698
What? The entire damn film is pure suspense.
>>
>>85440138

Gently, gently on the beaches. Whale never surrender.
>>
>>85419519
>>85420395
he was on that boat
it got sunk by a uboat
he was the only survivor

fuck are you guys mentally disabled or something?
>>
>>85433339
So you clapped two times?
>>
I don't usually cry watching films, but seeing an old veteran of Dunkirk walk into the cinema on his own and start crying at the situation the soldiers were in really fucking put me on the edge.
>>
Tbh my biggest gripe was the omnipresent soundtrack. Some scenes would definitely be better with just the sound of waves. Or waves and the noise of a looming plane engine.
>>
>>85440171
It's the Rogue One of WW2. Everybody already knows how it ends and it's completely unnecessary.
>>
>>85421217
You don't need to know their names to see that their people. A real human being evokes far more empathy than the words "Mr. John Smith" printed on paper.

You didn't need to know the character's names to be able to follow, because the soldiers themselves didn't have the time to learn eachother's names in convenient exposition while the world was falling apart around their ankles. Recreating that feeling in a film, now that's a feat of cinema in itself
>>
>>85440334
No it isn't. Rogue One spends two acts throwing exposition at you to try to get you to care about the characters, there isn't a ton of action until the third act. Dunkirk is pure chaos from beginning to end and Nolan avoids bogging things down with sappy backstories. Rogue One is a generic blockbuster, Dunkirk is a thrilling spectacle that's all about the dread and chaos of war.
>>
>>85440463
Pfahaha.
>>
>>85440581
>no counterargument
Pfahaha. Comparing this film to Rogue One is retarded and you know it. They're completely different films. Maybe Gareth Edwards' original cut was similar to Dunkirk but what Disney gave us is a generic blockbuster that doesn't resemble a war film until the last 30 minutes.
>>
>>85440410
>soldiers themselves didn't have the time to learn eachother's names

like when they sat in the grounded boat for 8 hours waiting for the tide to take them out

or when cillian murphy gets brought aboard and looks shell shocked, how difficult would it have been to throw the line in "My name is David Dawson, what is your name, son?"

or add a small scene before the pilots take off when you can actually see there faces. I didn't know that one was tom hardy until the end.

Very minor and organic scenes that could have been added but Nolan was probably like "NO, THE PILOTS REPRESENT "THE AIR" AND HAVING A GROUND SCENE WOULD BE WRONG" and "WE NEED THEM NOT TO TALK SO WE CAN HAVE THE GUY SUDDENLY BE FRENCH"

nolanfags get out
>>
>>85440706
>like when they sat in the grounded boat for 8 hours waiting for the tide to take them out

They had to be quiet you retard.

>or when cillian murphy gets brought aboard and looks shell shocked, how difficult would it have been to throw the line in "My name is David Dawson, what is your name, son?"

He didn't want to talk.

>or add a small scene before the pilots take off when you can actually see there faces. I didn't know that one was tom hardy until the end.

You are a special kind of retard. They were called Fortis 1, Fortis Leader and Fortis 2 since their first scene.
>>
I watched the 70mm version and booked another ticket for Monday too.
Did I like it?
>>
>>85440706
Farrier and Collins address each other by name repeatedly from when their leader is shot down onwards, pay attention
>>
>>85414577
and then he did.
>>
>>85440706
I doubt a load of men who barely knew each other, had just cheated death, and were so desperate they went AWOL and tried to sail across the channel in a broken fishing trawler after hours and hours of fighting for their lives would be feeling particularly social anon.

You'd probably just sleep or become catatonic and think about home, dying, or all those thousands of men you'd be leaving behind.
>>
>>85440266
Ironic that you call us retarded when it's clear you didn't understand the non linearity.

Let me spell it out for you: Cillian Murphy was on the life boat escaping that ship that gets torpedoed at night. The crew get back to the beach. He somehow ends up in the middle of the ocean later on. He must have got on ANOTHER boat.

My point was, was this explained further?

Moron.
>>
>>85440885
>They had to be quiet you retard.
are British people unable to whisper?

>He didn't want to talk
except he did after a couple hours and Mr. Dawson and his rent boys didn't even try

>Fortis 1, Fortis 2, Fortis Leader
Ah yes, Fortis 1 must be a family name. Which one was Tom Hardy again? 1 or 2?

My whole point is "Who are these characters and why do we care about them specifically"? We know as much about "Tommy" as we do the other 300K other soldiers. The characters of the colonel and commander are better fleshed out than our main soldier.
>>
>>85407625
Hated it, especially that little fucker George.

I hate when movies try to get me to feel sad for useless pieces of shit that know they're useless pieces of shit and go out like useless pieces of shit but then they get more representation and honor than actual men that died. I also love how rylance and glynn-cartey desperately trying to give a shit about him, that was genuinely funny to watch and one of the more entertaining parts of the film

Actually that's a microcosm for the whole movie - it feels like a bunch of faceless gay porn stars (seriously everyone looks like a boy band member) running from an unseen enemy with zero context, could have easily been a movie about any generic naval battle with some creative editing. I see why /tv/ likes it, it has handsome men to jerk off to, everyone is anonymous, there are people shooting guns and things blowing up for the underage crowd (because haha history is gay and 4 lozerz amirite, we dont need that, we're the NEW GENERASHUN), and it's filled with nolan's pseudo intellectual trash and time hopping. because that's what war movies need, the good ol' memento and capeshit treatment. who gives a fuck about the men that died, let's just make it as pretentious as possible.
>>
>>85441383
Maybe Nolan avoided giving names to his characters on purpose, because idolatry is a sin in Islam, which as you know is the official religion of his homeland.
>>
In the beginning where the stuka was in the bombing run the feeling of the bombs hitting the ground through the cinemas sound system was outstanding. It's a very good film
>>
Had this film been about Pearl Harbour, all the reddit tier yanks itt would be saying it's the greatest film of all time
>>
>>85411780
Tio jej
>>
>>85441557
>muh sound
>muh visuals
Same shit that killed videogames
>>
>>85441383
>"Who are these characters and why do we care about them specifically"?
This was my biggest problem with it. Loved the kinotagraphie, but the film just gave me no reason to care about anyone that died. The few characters it focused on weren't memorable in the slightest, nor were the other hundreds of thousands of men on the beach. Maybe that was the point but it just made me feel like I was watching suffering for the sake of suffering, which wasn't what the actual evacuation of Dunkirk was about and I had no idea what Nolan was trying to do with that angle.
>>
>>85441670
Cinema is a completely different medium, you pleb.
>>
>>85426275
>>85426210

I live near Weymouth. It's tiny.

Also bravo Nolan for having some regional accents in this, like Rylance doing Dorset. And for getting the old-timey accents in there, it really pains me to hear ww2 films with Estuary English instead of period accurate accents.
>>
>>85427091

he wasn't a prick, he was shell shocked, how could you miss one of the most obvious parts of the films characterisation?

>this british soldier is attacking the people he's fighting for??

bait
>>
>>85441670
I'm sorry I enjoyed it senpai
>>
God I fucking hate niggers
>>
>>85407625
Dunnhier was better.
>>
>>85407745
It's not that profound.
>>
>>85407625
Planet of the apes was better
>>
>>85413938
I don't think you know what a pleb is, anon.
>>
Dishonest Filmmaking
(Tarantino, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Alex Garland, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nicholas Refn, Tom Hooper, Tyler Perry, Rian Johnson, Alfonso Cuaron, Noah Baumbach, Andrea Arnold, David Yates, Denis Vilenueve, James Franco, Steve McQueen) are intellectually bankrupt moral whores and charlatans; their films appeal to the modern phenomenon of the 'Pretend Epic' or Pseudo Cinema, often tied to the criticism that "It was a movie that thought it was a film" they have no ideas of their own and are filmed purely to have fancy essays made about them. They obfuscate their lack of insight under a smug impenetrable irony and often contain scenes with disingenuous attempts at depth with characters spouting platitudes that the director takes VERY seriously.
This directly panders to the IMDb reddit sensibility of quote circlejerking since these hacks are masters of the fools wit, "Quipping" (Not to be confused with the marvel co-opting of the word) , it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance, the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonising.

THIS is Dishonest Filmmaking.

They leech the greater works that preceded them; like The Enemy being a rip off Eraserhead, but they have nothing else to say.
They act under the guise of deconstruction with surface layer obvious 'social commentary' and a quirky forgettable score praised as 'innovative'. They are all inauthentic sycophants that rely on oscar buzz and post 9/11 detachment for relevance.

These directors are hacks and will be forgotten to time.

Some notably earnest filmmakers include, but are not limited to

>Mike Leigh
>The Coen Brothers
>Werner Herzog
>James Cameron
>Mel Gibson
>Terrence Malick
>Gaspar Noe
>Clint Eastwood
>>
>>85442250
u done?
>>
>>85439071

That was my initial thought, but come on, he wasn't that far away. It would have taken him 20 minutes max to jog over there.
>>
>>85432366

>also i just found the Brits annoying I'm not even a /pol/tard and i found myself rooting for the Germans, at least the japs in LFIJ weren't a bunch of pussy's and fought to the death.

>being this autistic

There's a reason the Japanese lost so horribly.
>>
>>85441492

You're French, so you can never truly understand what it was like.

Au revoir, mon ami.
>>
>>85432021
Seriously. Spoke to an American friend who didn't even know the evacuation of Dunkirk was a real thing for fuck's sake
>>
>>85443135
I'm Dunn Hier
>>
>>85442250

u fucking child
>>
>>85413980
Sometimes that sense of foreboding improves the plot. Look at Blood Brothers
>>
>>85426942
Also, I think the implication is that the guy who doesn't look at them in the scene before they get on the train was blinded in WW1. I don't have much more to go on but I think it chimes with the context
>>
The scene in the NAAFI of that destroyer right after it had been torpedo'd really fucking unsettled me. Being stuck underwater while exhausted and surrounded by dozens of other men in a tin can right after you thought you found safety. Horrific.
>>
im pretty sure im the only person in the theater that was enjoying the film. the people behind me were talking, the people in front of me were talking, even my friend started talking to ME during it. lol. i thought it was a strange film and not one i'd recommend to people but i wasnt bored during it like everyone else seemed to be.
>>
>It's a pleb needs to know the name, marital status and home life of a protagonist in order to care about a persons life episode
Is it autism?
>>
>>85443642
>marital status and home life
dw mate we already know yours
>>
>>85431548
Absolutely nothing new about a slightly grown out military cut you fucking retard
>>
>>85443595
what the fuck is a naafi?
>>
I want to get Tommy's haircut

How do I go to the barbershop without just saying "Gimmie the Hitler Youth cut"
>>
>>85444159
just do it yourself
>>
>>85444159
If only you had some sort of device that could capture the image of that haircut and store it for long enough to show to the barbers in a convenient way that is not bothersome
>>
>>85408363
this
>>
>>85431744
It takes practice and will not look good in the first times.
>>
so is the kid in the beginning a spy himself?

what is the significance of the return to his him as the final shot with the sound of the page turning?
>>
>>85444618
It's true, but it grows back pretty fast especially the sides. After a few times you'll get exactly what you want, for free, meanwhile at the barber you'll have to pay up and more than likely won't be entirely satisfied with it either.
>>
>>85407671
>The soldiers waiting in the boat for the tide to come in, he's singing one of his shit songs.
>"What song is that?"
>"It's a new one"
>Winks at camera
Indefensible desu
>>
>>85414598
that means I am there you spaz
>>
>>85416910

5 star post my nigger
>>
I know people like Nolan, but most of his work is definitely style over substance, pieces that look pretty but don't actually say much, and I think Dunkirk is no different. People want to call the viewers looking for characters plebs, but more plebian than that are the viewers who confuse vagueness and lack of information as deep when it's just pretentious and any writer will tell you that.

The film looks beautiful, but I don't think it really took advantage of the 70mm because this film needed to have the camera close (which is a hint that the film was trying to focus and be close to the characters but failed to do so for many viewers). The 70mm felt like a gimmick and only a couple shots used it to good effect (I'm thinking of the scene on the beach where the sweeping ocean, city smoke, really gave a sense of location). Music was good, the watch and general escalation of sound was suspensful even if the payoff was kind of weak and undeserving of it (not saying this is bad).

Honestly though, the only remotely interesting concept this film added to the collection of war narratives is it's use of water as a threat.

I enjoyed having a knees jerk jump to all the bullets and in general how loud it was, but I think it's kind of cheap to so blatantly manipulate a body limitation.
>>
>>85407745
Typical mindless Nolanboo comment, he could film Di Caprio shit into a bowl for 2 hours with a cool photography and you will still call that a "great film".

>>85408481
And the frenchman was a coward, quintessentially british film shit talking french even though they died to cover their ass with no hope of rescue.
>>
>>85408267
Unironically true. Dunkirk is FILM. And that's a GOOD thing. And it's BEAUTIFUL.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.