[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into audio books. Is harry potter a good place

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: harry poteer.jpg (371KB, 936x683px) Image search: [Google]
harry poteer.jpg
371KB, 936x683px
I want to get into audio books. Is harry potter a good place to start?

im halfway through the first chapter with stephen fry and it seems like it was written for children
>>
>>>/lit/
>>>/mu/
fucking retard wtf
also making audio book threads made /lit/ really mad because they can't do anything about it
>>
>>84251486
>something for children seems like it was made for children
Did you not know what Harry Potter was before?
>>
>>84251553
is this a bot
>>
Jim Dale is a wonderful narrator, but starting with HP means a massive time investment for each book.

48 Laws of Power gives you more for your time.
>>
File: black company.jpg (13KB, 177x285px) Image search: [Google]
black company.jpg
13KB, 177x285px
>>84251486
Read The Black Company series. It's fantasy but for adults.

Also
>>>/lit/
>>
use jim dale

not that faggot fry

there is a reason why his voices won him awards

>hes that good
>>
>>84252435
This thread isn't about "reading". It's about listening to performances.

Some television and film transitioned directly from radio performances, e.g. Guiding Light or The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Aural performances have a foot in both realms. You're not only being rude, but you're not considering the ambiguity of the medium.
>>
Why is redwood babysitting this off topic thread?
>>
File: image.jpg (417KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
417KB, 1000x1000px
Sanderson's audio books are top tier cuz they use Michael Kramer.
Mistborn is pretty good and has a lot of books that aren't too long, but Way of Kings is his best I think, plus has Kramer and another reader that reads the female character pov chapters.
>>
>>84251486

Watch the first two movies then start reading/listening at Prisoner of Azkaban. It's the first with a somewhat mature tone.
>>
>>84252555
holy shit jim dale is amazing. its like night and day

i only downloaded the fry one because it had the most seeders
>>
>mfw retards listen to audiobooks and actually think it equals the reading experience
Fucking millenials
>>
>>84251486
You don't get into "just any" books, dummy.

Books are a source of information.
>>
>>84253027
It is just nice to have a book to listen to while you are doing something that is productive. Us millennials don't have time to sit around and read like a child. We have to work and fix the fucked up economy boomers left for us after they sold out our country.
>>
Why is a fucking audiobook thread on /tv/?
>>
>>84253379
audio is 80% of film
>>
>>84253027
Allow me to read while driving, that'll work
>>
Just fucking post it
>>
File: 1496092898510.webm (649KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1496092898510.webm
649KB, 640x640px
>>84251486
>like it was written for children

It was, why are you reading it now rather than 10 years ago like everyone else? That ship has sailed

Listen to Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown
>>
>>84253027
There's only so much time in the day and reading is slow, so you listen to audio books whilst doing menial tasks that do not require your full attention (doing dishes, cleaning, mowing the lawn, walking the dog, working out, simple work, etc). More productive than listening to music

I'd advise against doing it whilst driving though
>>
>>84251486
It was pretty comfy when I was 10.
>>
>>84251486
jim dale version is 10 times better than the stephen fry one
>>
>>84251486
Why the fuck is THIS thread allowed??
>>
>>84251486
>im halfway through the first chapter with stephen fry and it seems like it was written for children
that's because it was, I read the last book when I was 13
>>
His Dark Materials is a really good audiobook series. It's fun and interesting plus it's got a full cast and a narrator
>>
Lolita is the best audiobook I've come across
>>
>>84256039
I think I read this 10 years ago, is it the trilogy about killing God and parallel dimensions?
>>
File: 1453656323224.jpg (1MB, 1588x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1453656323224.jpg
1MB, 1588x2862px
>>84251486
Though I'm glad you have a waxing interest in books I must question your judgment with wanting to start with one of the dullest franchises of all time. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>84255179

How much crack have been smoking?
Because it's too much
>>
>>84256507
Never fails to crack me up.
>>
falling for this bait is summer on all levels including physical.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.