[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did David help them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 15

File: alien-covenant-2-1.png (475KB, 1440x586px) Image search: [Google]
alien-covenant-2-1.png
475KB, 1440x586px
the bastard could have had them trapped with the Alien easily and watched them being slaughtered on live television
>>
>>83454257
He wanted to preserve their bodies to experiment on and refine the Xeno into what we see in later movies.
>>
This scene was dumb because it basically spoils that Walter is David, when he almost starts to jerk off looking at the xenomorph
>>
>>83454434
Anyone who didn't guess the twist right away probably didn't notice that either
>>
>>83454434
The part where they cut away from Walter and David's fight rather than showing us the ending gave it away already.
>>
>>83454530
>>83454458
Yeah, the cut was a heavy giveaway, but I was honestly expecting a better tweest. Some funny shit like Walter secretly smuggling David's severed head on the ship would've been better.
>>
>>83454620
That would've been a nonsensical and restarted twist for a twists sake.
>>
>>83454379
There is 2000 people on this ship, he doesn't need the extra crew members
>>
>>83454735
I think he has fallen 'in love' with Daniels the way he claims to have loved Shaw from Prometheus and wants to use her body especially.
>>
>>83454257
I think he wanted to not give away his identity too soon. If they somehow managed to kill the Xeno on their own then they would have come after David. Also maybe he wanted to see just how perfect the Xeno was, clearly not that perfect if it was killed by a Redneck and a Dyke.
>>
>>83454257

He saw it as a numbers game. If the Xeno killed them, what's stopping it from getting the other 2000 passengers or destroying a vital part of the ship. What's one Xeno when you could potentially have 2000 more?

He probably also didn't want to risk the Xeno not obeying him or trying to kill him. Maybe he grew attached to Daniels as he did with Shaw seeing as Walter liked her.
>>
>>83454434
How the fuck did the alien know what a camera was, and how to attack it so david couldn't see him?
>>
>>83454781
How did Daniels know it was him toward the end,seems like she said "Can you help me build my cabin" & then had a sudden revelation
>>
>>83455333
Because David had no clue what the hell she was talking about.

Walter would have known that Daniels was planning to build a cabin, especially since the wasted the resources to load a ton of fucking WOOD into the covenant ship.
>>
>>83455333
She talked about building a cabin with Walter. When she brings it up to David he reacts like he doesn't know what shes talking about.
You fucking idiot.
>>
I've come to realize that a lot of the problems that people seem to have with Prometheus and Covenant are from simply not paying attention to the details or even the things characters say.

Prometheus and Covenant are both pretty straightforward movies although to be fair the plot is often times advanced by the sheer stupidity of the characters.
>>
>>83455491
I agree 100%, though Prometheus has some really stupid character shit in it that still bothers me. I don't think it was as big an issue in Covenant, but it was still there to be sure.
>>
>>83454434
>>83454458
>>83454530
>>83454620
>>83454721
t. brain embryos.
>>
>>83455638

My biggest issue with Prometheus is the fucking Geologist and Biologist characters.

Like what the hell, you're a fucking geologist. You should be used to being in dark caves and mapping unknown terrain. Why the fuck can't you find your way or calm the fuck down.

And the fucking Biologist. You're supposed to be able to detect aggression signs on animals. That snake like xeno was showing prime signs that it didn't want to get fucked with. Like most snakes on our planet. I know they're another species but there are some baselines that you should be able to follow.

I guess somebody needed to get killed I suppose.
>>
>>83455491
>but it shits all over the established """canon""" of AVP, which we all know is the best alien movie

>IF DAVID MADE XENOS IN 2179 HOW WERE THERE PREDATORS FIGHTING XENOS ON EARTH FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS

AVP already shits all over the real canon because if xenomorphs were already on earth for thousands of years, why would anybody give a shit if one xenomorph landed on earth in Alien Resurrection?
>>
>>83455491
I agree, although I think people overstate the characters' stupidity. People don't really perform well under extreme stress in real life; if anything, movies have conditioned moviegoers to expect unrealistic, hyper-competent characters.
>>
>>83455832
Funnily enough, in a deleted prometheus scene the crew encounters similar sneks first who are perfectly cool with humans prancing around them.
Fuck knows why they deleted that
>>
>>83454257
He was observing how his creation hunts. Looking for weaknesses and ways to improve it.
>>
>>83455491
Yeah pretty much. This fanbase is absolute cancer so it's no surprise they bitch and moan about every little detail.
>>
>>83455912
Because Ridley Scott, by his own admission, shoots an movie he loves that's 2.5 hours long, and then he sits and cuts the movie down to 2 hours.
>>
>>83455832
Not all geologists work in the field. And ethologists, not biologists, are trained in animal behavior.
>>
>>83456013
4,5 hours more like
>>
>>83455912

I forgot about that. Either way, you shouldn't treat all species as the same or a different situation the same.

>>83455854

Let's say that all the movies are canon with each other. That means there is some time travel fuckery.

>why would anybody give a shit if one xenomorph landed on earth in Alien Resurrection?

1. Both sites where Xenos appeared got destroyed.
2. All the information retained by Weyland and Yutani Corporations.
3. So as it concerns 99% of the population knows nothing about the Xenomorphs or the Predator species.
4. A potential unwanted outbreak of the Xenos on Earth could prove catastrophic for the seat of the human civilization that is Earth on 2179

For those reasons, yes it would be a huge deal if one or more Xenos got loose on Earth.
>>
>>83456208
>For those reasons, yes it would be a huge deal if one or more Xenos got loose on Earth.

Seems like the predators would have a way to monitor that shit in case one of the eggs hatched before they were ready for a hunt
>>
>>83456272

Not really. We know nothing about what the Predators where up to on the year 2434 or after the events of AVP 2. They could have found another Planet to host their games after the disaster that happened on Earth. Even if they are still hunting Humans and Xenos on Earth, how would they monitor Eggs from a Xeno that came out of Ripley in a secured high security research facility off in space?

If the AVP shit was canon, which I'm only entertaining the idea because I'm bored then it would still make sense. Just add time travel and the fact both sites got destroyed and all information about the event kept secret by Weyland and Yutani.
>>
>>83456472
Adding time travel to a story thats not explicitly about time travel to begin with is the ultimate form of jumping the shark.
>>
>>83455832
Gary, is that you?
>>
>>83455832
All they fucking needed to do was show them go "oh look that's pretty neat" and try to keep their distance, but have the snake thing continually and aggressively creep closer to them as they try to back off, until one of them tries to scare it off and it attacks.
All they fucking needed to do.
>>
>>83455854
"muh AVP canon" is a retarded strawman. Literally never see this as a legitimate criticism, everybody knows AVP isn't canon. You're arguing against nobody so what's your point?
>>
>>83457124
I'm nobody and you're arguing against me, so what's YOUR point?
>>
>>83457124
well what's ripley think of the first one?
>>
>>83457226
lol
>>
>>83454257
Because those twenty minutes of xenomorph action were just shoved in for trailer footage.
>>
>>83454257
https://youtu.be/wK8kK4hY6PA
then we couldn't remake the end of alien again
>>
>>83455912
>>83456208
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/deleted-scenes/

I also would have preferred they keep the scene where they find the skin of the sneks prior to finding them, it would have helped build some tension.

I'm undecided about the cut Fifield scene where he looks more like a xeno. I think it probably makes more sense but I like how we're not really sure what the hell he's turning into in the final cut.

Which of these scenes would you anons have liked to have seen in the film?
>>
>>83455832
Well let's be honest here: we as the audience already know that the humans should have never fucked with anything to do with Xenos, so I think that makes it harder for us to forgive 'stupid decisions

Their stupid because we know what the Xenomorph is all about. Funny no one gives Alien or Aliens shit for the crew being stupid.
>>
Does anyone have a link?
>>
>>83455333
You were skipping around on a cam copy huh? They chatted about the cabin a couple of times in the movie.
>>
>>83456023
... so why the fuck would you bring such a geologist to a field expedition? stfu
>>
>>83458268
Covenant easily takes the cake for the dumbest crew in the franchise so far
>movie begins with them hilariously losing James Franco in fire
>they willingly endanger lives of 2000 colonists to investigate some dumb planet, there's not even a bonus situation
>their captain is an insane christian
>they don't use hazmat suits
>leave crewmembers behind
>they step on alien spores and just shrug it off
>they don't use scanner thingies from Prometheus to scout ahead
>they blow up their own ships
>"You want me to look straight into this swirling egg-looking thing, Mr. Trustworthy Robot? I sure would love to!"
>their space ship is designed to give full control to random androids despite having functional AI
>>
>>83458582
>movie begins with them hilariously losing James Franco in fire
Somehow they thought it was a spendid idea to suspend their hypersleep chambers from fucking coat hangers on a rack, pump in pure oxygen gas, and build them harder to break into than a bank vault.

>>83458582
To be fair, the captain was james franco who is now dead, so this guy was never meant to be a captain. It's still bad writing, though.
>>
File: literal_who.jpg (48KB, 600x272px) Image search: [Google]
literal_who.jpg
48KB, 600x272px
>>83458582
>there's not even a bonus situation

kek
>>
>>83455292
There was a screen next to the camera showing who is on the other side, watching, When the Xeno attacked the camera, David seemed surprised
>>
>>83458582
>Movie begins with them hilariously losing James Franco in fire
I don't see what the big deal is. Shit happens.
>they willingly endanger lives of 2000 colonists to investigate some dumb planet, there's not even a bonus situation
The one guy scans the planet and says it looks better in every way than was predicted for their destination planet, I don't see why this is such a big deal.
He wasn't even the captain, Franco was, and it's stated through dialogue that he was kept from being a captain because he couldn't make effective enough decisions.
>they don't use hazmat suits
Why would they? They're there to colonize and the computer told them it was habitable, if there's pathogens they need to start getting their immune systems use to that shit stat and starting learning how to deal with the illness that appear on the planet. They have to face it eventually, they're not going to be wearing space suits for the rest of their lives.
>leave crew members behind
They all had jobs to do, the chick had to check out the ship after they landed and the other to were doing science shit or something.
>they step on alien spores and just shrug it off
I don't think the characters could actually see the spores, or if they could it just looked like dust.
>they don't use scanner thingies from Prometheus to scout ahead
Fair enough.
>they blow up their own ships
Fair enough.
>"You want me to look straight into this swirling egg-looking thing, Mr. Trustworthy Robot? I sure would love to!"
I don't see why this is such a big deal. They've never seen alien eggs before, nobody cares that Kane did essentially the same thing.
>their space ship is designed to give full control to random androids despite having functional AI
David had a WY security code.
>>
>>83454257
Prometheus
>extraordinary survival instincts, Shaw
As others said, he's probably perfecting them. The xenos we saw in AC where very animalistic.
>>
>>83458528
Good reminder that at least 70% of the people posting in these threads have barely even seen the movie.
>>
>>83459918
Or they half-watched it while playing DOTA 2 at the same time or something like that.
>>
>>83459799
>Why would they?
The movie literally happens only because they didn't.
>>
>>83455638
What Alien movie didn't have stupid people reacting stupidly to advance a story?

They didn't even xray the first guy to get facehugged in Alien or have him feel an alien of that size growing inside him. Why would he be so hungry with an alien inside? it would have pushed against your stomach and bladder to make you feel full
Why did they wear masks with an unattached breathing tube when inspecting the facehugger?
>>
>>83460472
Ash was intentionally hiding the Alien from the others.
>>
>>83454257
It might be because the xenomorph attacked his image. Also, he has to kill people indirectly.
>>
>>83460412
Like the guy said they would have to live their eventually and besides people trust technology very quickly. If I lived in a world with advanced AI I probably would not care about some random microbes the ship had already vetted either.
>>
LET'S NOT WEAR HELMETS ON THIS ALIEN PLANET LOL ITS PROBABLY FINE
>>
>>83460766
In all likelihood they would've noped the fuck outta this planet - it has crashlanded alien ships, giant temple full of incinerated bodies and complete lack of fauna
>>
>>83460797
I don't think humans of that century possess our fear of microbes. Imagine growing up in a world were no one ever dies of disease or gets sick.
>>
>>83460847
>they would've noped the fuck outta this planet
No way. They have weapons, training, and advanced technology. People have died fighting for small patches of land here on earth. Giving up a whole world because it's spooky would be very cowardly.
>>
>>83455832
Scott and Hollywood made 2 dressed up slasher flicks.
>>
>>83461226
Alien was called dismissed by critics as Halloween in space when it came out.
Aliens to was also dismissed as a fun house ride when it came out. Ebert gave both movies like 2 stars on release.
>>
>>83461364
I thought Ebert said it was the next magnum ops of horror?
>>
>>83462332
That was a retrospective re-review from years later.
>>
>>83455333
And this is why I take most surface level analysis on /tv/ with a grain of salt
>>
>>83456208
assuming you are correct, that still doesn't explain why there's two different Mr. Weyland characters. Charles Weyland founded the company according to AVP, but Peter Weyland founded it according to Prometheus. so yeah, there's either some Time Travel Fuckery® or AVP isn't part of the timeline.
>>
>>83454379
Egg/Facehugger is more efficient than spores?
>>
Vertigo was shat on when it released. Shawshank Redemption was treated as "yeah, it's good I suppose" on release.

Alot of movies that are now highly praised did not get universal praise when released.
>>
>>83460915

This was like 10 years after prometheus where they wore environment suits...
>>
>>83464146
That's because the atmosphere of that planet wasn't survivable for more than like 2 minutes outside the engineer ship.
>>
i asked in the other thread, but should i watch the director's cut of alien 3 first, or start with the theatrical?
>>
>>83463492
Shawshank was nominated for multiple academy awards
>>
>>83463230
>or AVP isn't part of the timeline.
No shit it isn't part of the timeline. Scott only considers Alien, Prometheus and Covenant canon.
>>
>>83464299

>Scott only considers Alien, Prometheus and Covenant canon.

What a garbage move as director.
>>
>>83458582
>takes the cake
The phrase is "bakes the cake" you fucking idiot.
>>
>>83464299
Does he really not consider Aliens or Alien 3 canon? I can understand ignoring Alien: Resurrection.
>>
>>83465223

It seems only "HIS" movies are canon.

But then again FOX wanted Colonial Marines to be canonical.
>>
File: 1494904693369.jpg (24KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1494904693369.jpg
24KB, 472x472px
>>83455333
It was kinda dumb that David didn't just reply 'Yes, of course' to that in the first place.
If they were trying to show she was kind of suspecting something, she should've asked 'Will you help me build my cabin in the mountains?' to see if he'd get it.

Also nice 3s.
>>
>>83465294
Well I guess since O'Bannon died and he's now made the most movies in the franchise I guess it gets to be his call if it's anyone's call at all, like it or not.
>>
>>83465306
that sounds too much like asking for wolfie.
>>
>>83455333
>retards like this are the type of people criticizing Scott
>>
>>83465350

I wonder how he feels about the AvP series.
>>
>>83458268
And you're stupid because you don't know the difference between their and they're. Kill yourself and never watch another movie again.
>>
>>83454257
he was testing his creation
>>
>>83465401
I wonder if he even ever bothered to watch them at all, I mean he must be a busy fucking guy. He probably just skipped them and got someone to give him the cliff notes if wanted to know if they were worthwhile.
I personally regard them with Alien: Resurrection as essentially being fan fiction tier.
>>
>>83465463

Resurrection was a mocking piece of fan service that knew how hammy it was. But it was also just a bad movie. Thankfully it has no impact on the timeline, as late as it is.

But Ridley is making some pretty bad movies; on the same level as Star Wars Prequel bad.
>>
>>83464238
Just skip it altogether.
>>
>>83454257
Because it would fuck up the whole ship while he tries to do his experiments.
>>
He couldn't control the Xenomorph. I was honestly hoping that the movie would end with Mother recognizing David.
>>
>>83457968
>The Engineer Speaks [4:06]
Should have made the final cut. This explains so much.
>>
>>83464279
Some films grow in stature over time, others burn bright then are forgotten as the zeitgeist changes.
>>
File: prometheus_engi.jpg (44KB, 985x526px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus_engi.jpg
44KB, 985x526px
>>83466131
Who's to blame? The editor(s)? Director? Studio pressure? Why the fuck did that scene not make the cut....
>>
>>83466131
>>83466277
that scene is terrible.
>>
>>83466277
I'd say studio pressure to keep it approximately two hours and Scott's willingness to comply is to blame. Same with Alien: Covenant, supposedly like 20 minutes was cut from the movie.
>>
>>83466309
But it gave more exposition on the Engineers, which was the entire fucking point of the movie
>>
File: pepu.jpg (22KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
pepu.jpg
22KB, 306x306px
>>83466277
>>83466309
>>83466322
>>83466334

>Prometheus
>have to watch deleted scenes to get the engineers' motivations

>Covenant
>have to watch interviews with the director to get David's motivations
>>
>>83466334
Not him, but what? The Engineer just asks why they came.
>>
>>83466334
Am I missing something?

He had like 1 line then it's back to going apeshit
>>
File: IMG_8904.jpg (80KB, 1421x799px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8904.jpg
80KB, 1421x799px
>>83466389
David's motivation is curiosity and resentment, I assumed. Does it go deeper?
>>
>>83466334
the very idea of an ancient alien talking casually in our own syntax and grammar and sharing the same ideas and way of arrange them as us is pretty lame. hes way better silent.
>>
>>83466412
>>83466453
My bad, you two are correct
>>
>>83466485
I've been thinking about it a lot and I think it also is also resentment that he cannot create life as easily as humans (because he cannot inseminate a woman and create a life manually) so has a disdain and resentment for human sexuality and help create something that is essentially a perversion of sexuality and insemination as a weapon.
>>
>>83466485

Who gives a shit about David? The movie should have been renamed:

Davidmetheus

Davd: Covenant
>>
File: IMG_8078.jpg (17KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8078.jpg
17KB, 264x264px
>>83466531
I think you're thinking of the movie everybody thought we were gonna get from the trailers.

I like Ridley, but this was the same as Blade Runner. It doesn't matter how many deleted scenes or cuts you have; The right footage was never shot, the right script never written.

Just name the third movie "David", it's the the only motivation for watching these films. They're well-made and designed, and have some great scenes without David, but they just fail overall as films. Covenant less so, but still.
>>
File: neomorph-backburster-1.jpg (83KB, 1075x643px) Image search: [Google]
neomorph-backburster-1.jpg
83KB, 1075x643px
I don't care. The movie kind of sucked but the whole sequence of everyone getting infected and panicking with this music pulsating in your head was great. Glad it was rated R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_o19X5D2g
>>
File: 1468314405595.gif (1MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468314405595.gif
1MB, 300x200px
>>83465453
underrated

He wanted to see how his xeno would fare against humans with their walter's help.
It's like intervening to help dying animals when your doing a nature documentary
>>
>>83464515

No, no it really is not. Takes the cake is correct and you're a fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>83466732
Yeah this had fantastic music.
>>
>>83454257
He was thinking about it, but then the Xenomorph attacked the monitor with his face on it, showing that it didn't recognize him like the first one did and so it couldn't be controlled. David couldn't get rid of it on his own and he knew that if he played along and got Daniels and Tennessee into cryo he could continue his experiments without worry.
>>
>>83466757
Take the cake makes no fucking sense. Why are they taking the cake? What exactly does taking the cake accomplish? What does taking the cake have to do with setting everything up? Baking the cake is the correct statement because the winners are the ones who you know BAKE THE FUCKING CAKE THE BEST!
>>
>>83466732
I really enjoyed the wheat field fight that followed this sequence. Honestly this was the only movie since, well, the original Alien that was horrifying. People can shit on Ridley all they want, but he still knows how to create -that- atmosphere without cheapening it (most of the time).

The scene with the Neomorph standing up while David tamed it with Oram watching. Fuck.
>>
>>83466795
Take the cake, i.e deprive another of a cake. If you are attending an event at which a cake is appropriate, and somebody just steals the cake and leaves with it, it would just ruin everything wouldn't it?
You can stand the rest of this shit at the event, but once that cake is gone it's all fucked. It's the clincher when things are fucking up.
>>
>>83466873

I would have been more scared if literally every plot moment wasn't a worn out trope.
>>
>>83466892
Where in the flying fuck does "takes the cake" indicate that they're stealing the fucking cake? Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.
>>
>>83454257
Because xenomorphs are autistic and kill indiscriminately. He wouldn't be alive to experiment and there wouldn't be anyone to experiment on.
>>
>>83466921
Well jesus anon that's what "take" means doesn't it?
>>
>>83466947
No there's many things the word "take" can be applied towards.
>>
>>83466732
Everything falling apart during the quarantine scene was probably the best part of all the ayylium movies. Too bad they spoiled all of it in the r
ed band trailer.
>>
>>83455854
>>83456208
David didn't make xenos, the black goo did. David just played around with black goo. The black goo was around for both of those things.
>>
>>83466975
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/take-the-cake.html
It's take the cake jackass.
>>
>>83467083
>uk

This is America jackass we speak real English here and it's bake.
>>
>>83466558
Plus the whole dialog about how machines are told not to create because "it's creepy" in the scene when he gets the other android to play the monitor whistle thing.
>>
>>83467107
>American education

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/takes+the+cake
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_the_cake
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/take%20the%20cake
https://www.idiomsandslang.com/tag/take-the-cake-idiom/
>>
>>83463492
Shawshank Redemption is a cheesy version of Escape From Alcatraz
>>
>>83467197
Really dude? You're just going to keep spamming wrong links at me? Listen, I get around, I know how language really works and let me tell you buddy not one person EVER said takes. It's ALWAYS been bakes now fucking deal with it or fuck off back to /v/ with all the other underaged cunts who don't know such incredibly basic shit everyone should know.

SAGE!
>>
File: 1487643310564.png (768KB, 1280x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1487643310564.png
768KB, 1280x1172px
>>83467238
>>
>>83467238
>>83467292

The phrase is actually "takes the bait"
>>
Based on the ending of Prometheus, I thought this would be about Shaw and David landing on the Engineer's planet and maybe sneaking through the city or something trying to talk to the leader and asking why they were going to destroy Earth.
Instead we get another fucking Alien movie, when I wanted to learn about the blue people and their planet.
Instead we get David shoehorned in. They should have just named the movie after him like >>83466571
>>
>>83458566
>...
>stfu
>>>/out/
>>
>>83454257
how the fuck did that spanish or european guy who got his face burnt have an alien chestburst out of him when he wasnt even properly facehugged???
>>
>>83468214
The face hugger was a victim of premature ejaculation.
Please don't make fun that particular face hugger was bullied severely for it throughout its life.
>>
>>83465306
If she had decided to test Walter/David right AFTER he locked her in the cryosleep, then she would've deserved to die.
>>
>>83459799
>Why would they? They're there to colonize and the computer told them it was habitable, if there's pathogens they need to start getting their immune systems use to that shit stat and starting learning how to deal with the illness that appear on the planet. They have to face it eventually, they're not going to be wearing space suits for the rest of their lives.

holy shit this is the worst rationalization for why SPACE EXPLORERS don't wear SPACE SUITS i've ever seen
>>
David wouldn't get to see how "perfect" his new creation really is if he just opened all the doors and let it tear the ship apart.

He wanted to force it into a problem solving situation.
>>
>>83455333
she was supposed to build a cabin with the (deceased) captain, walter knew of this

walter said even though the captain is dead, she should still build the cabin, because a promise is a promise
>>
>>83454257
He wanted a whole colony to experiment on.

To do that, he needs normally functioning population to create a semi-sustainable colony to raise the embryo children. That way he has sleeping colonists and the embryos.
This requires a.) the ship to make it intact to its destination and b.) people to be unaware of the xeno.

So he legit wanted to kill the xeno. Killing Daniels and Fred Simmons was always the easiest task because they would have to go into hypersleep.

>>83455491
My biggest problem is genuinely the stupidity of the characters. I don't really think there's any aspects to either movies I didn't "get" (maybe I got them in the wrong way, but I saw a reason for most stuff). I think those reasons are shockingly terrible and insultingly stupid.

I hate these two movies. It's like Scott made them to pander to inbred sub-80 IQ hoopleheads.
>you could be a scientist too!
>and go to space!
>don't listen to them arrogant educated types telling you otherwise!
>btw in the future evolution won't be real
>>
>>83455832

People in Covenant die because they have to go take a fucking piss (but ok, that's only half-bad because spores weren't an obvious threath) and splitting off to dark corridors to have a little privacy while they wash their wounds.
And let's not talk about the already meme'd "It's perfectly safe".

It was 80s slasher tier stupidity to move the plot further
>>
>>83466795

Jerry please.
>>
>>83466786
>He was thinking about it, but then the Xenomorph attacked the monitor with his face on it

do you even know how cameras work?
>>
>>83469456
>>83469456
WAAAAAHHHHHH MOMMY MY MOVIE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH EXPOSITION TO PLEASE MY AUTISTIC DESIRE TO HAVE EVERYONE BEHAVE LIKE ROBOTIC STEMLORDS ON THE SPECTRUM WAHHHHHH
>>
Just finish marathon this movie, tell me what I think?
>>
>>83454257
>Why did David help them?

Because the script was written by idiots.

Idiots who didn't understand that by keeping some slight doubt in this way that he had not been replaced, is not worth it when the people who just watched the scene ask this question.
>>
>>83455832
The geologist being confused and afraid makes sense because the structure they're walking through isn't natural. He has no expertise on it, it emphasizes the alien nature of the setting.

One of the better details to the script.
>>
>>83469456
People in Alien 1 die because they let them go off alone chasing a cat, or because they let him go down a dark hole and explore on his own so he could then stick his face into things to see why it opened when he came near.
People in Aliens die because their commanding officer was stupid enough to confiscate their ammo and send them in anyways, accidentally burn each other with flame throwers when taken by surprise. The ship crashes because they were stupid enough to leave the door wide fucking open even though they had good reason to believe they were in a combat scenario.
>>
that shower scene was absolute kino. i was half expecting the alien to start fucking his bitch after he mouth raped the negro. fantastic shit
>>
HISHE of this movie is going to be

> Should we inspect this new planet?
> Nah
> Cue credits

Or basically everyone shooting David in thee middle of his numerous crazytalk rants
>>
>>83458268
The crew in Alien are wageslaves manipulated by someone who is actually working against them.

In Aliens the stupidity is fueled by the corporate character. Him being out of touch with the danger of the situation underlines a key theme of how corporate greed is uncaring of human suffering when there's profit to be made.
>>
>>83469861
These don't even address the stupidest things in the movies.
Ash didn't order Kane go down that hole and stick his face into whatever he found. Ash didn't tell Ripley and Parker to let Brett go off alone.

Burke didn't tell Gorman to not pull the marines out after he confiscated their ammo, and Burke didn't tell them to leave their drop ships door wide open.

Characters make stupid decisions to drive the plot forward in all the Alien movies.
>>
>>83470044
The difference is that all these points feel like natural human reactions in their given framework, and most happen under duress.

In Promethevant almost every death is initiated by someone doing the opposite of what their motivation determines they should, and frequently during times when they have enough room to breath and think things through straight.
>>
>>83470235
>In Promethevant almost every death is initiated by someone doing the opposite of what their motivation determines they should, and frequently during times when they have enough room to breath and think things through straight.

The gap isn't as big as you make it out to be, especially with the Gorman thing. They've already seen the face huggers in the tank, and acid burns everywhere, and have an eye witness to the fact their are deadly creatures about. They didn't even take the time to look at the map and realize that where the nest was. They had plenty of time to think and plan too.
>>
>>83466485
It's a boring "lol his actions don't have to make sense cause cuhrayzee" motivation. Not really a compelling character and I'm not sure why they're trying to build a franchise around David. David was a fun supporting character in Prometheus because his was a mix of childlike wonder towards discoveries and lack of empathy towards humans. Now he's just a le creepy villian who recites that one poem murikans know (from BrBa) and plays a flute
>>
>>83471317
You clearly underestimated him in Prometheus, everything there feeds directly in to how he acts in Covenant.
>>
>>83455333
>this post

I start to question if people who criticize Covenant even saw the movie.
>>
>>83455491
this

In the age of capeshit, no thinking is allowed.
>>
>>83455333
Do you fags even pay attention to movies or just sit on your phone like teenage girls the entire time?
>>
>>83458582
Nah, as dumb as some of them were, nothing comes close to the retards in Prometheus.
>>
>>83454530
Did anyone else assume it was an error before the tweest?
Like they had to get the film out really fast and accidentally edited it out?
>>
File: 6735433.jpg (179KB, 1200x761px) Image search: [Google]
6735433.jpg
179KB, 1200x761px
>land on Origae VI as planned
>asks the colonists who wants to go to another, possibly better world
>fly there with volunteers
Problem solved. Why did they act like there was a ticking clock on that decision at all?
>>
>>83469648
That excuse doesn't work when they had literal robot maps mapping the place out, and it's hardly very "Alien" when it's just basic corridors with slightly strange architecture.
>>
>>83465306
Wait are people actually not getting the scene? David is tipping his hand to be cruel. That's it. He absolutely could have played along but he didn't want to. He knew she was powerless and smirked over it as he did his reveal. He's into theatrics.
>>
>>83454257
Because David broke the bank in Monte Carrrrrlo
>>
File: 1496357703864.jpg (666KB, 1125x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1496357703864.jpg
666KB, 1125x1600px
really makes you think
>>
>>83472315
>they had literal robot maps mapping the place out
The robots fed map data to the ship, the sandstorm cut off their communication with it.

>and it's hardly very "Alien" when it's just basic corridors with slightly strange architecture
If you want to approach situations characters experience in films from a purely armchair perspective I don't see why you bother watching in the first place. Finding "Slightly strange architecture" light years from Earth would be cause for concern in some people, especially ones who thought the mission was going to be a wild goose chase.
>>
>>83472499
Because the expectation for characters to act reasonably or have sufficient justification for unreasonable behavior isn't a lofty fucking one. I'm not asking for everyone to make perfect decisions, I'm asking for the movie to better explain itself. Dallas arguing with Ripley and Ash interfering is okay. Dallas being an idiot is acknowledged by the movie and it's later revealed that Ash was intentionally sabotaging. This is fine. Captain Forgetable following David blindly seconds after being ready to cap his ass for defending a mindless killing machine is the movie being retarded, not Captain Religion. All the movie needed to do was have him check in with the camp, weigh in a bit. Would have helped the pacing a great deal and would have removed pretty much my only issue with Covenant logic-wise.

Prometheus needs Star Wars Prequel levels of retooling to fucking work. What a God damned mess from script to botched editing. Jesus.
>>
Why does nobody ever mention that retarded woman that blows up their spaceship? Holy shit I have never seen a more incompotent character. Her entire role was just failing to do even the basic things correctly.

Whole theatre burst in laughter when she blew up the shuttle
>>
>>83472695
Because panic and adrenaline in someone who isn't combat trained results in shit like that? The only two head scratch moments in Covenant that really took me out of the movie was the second neomorph victim and the standing captain following David. Which honestly overall didn't damage the movie near as much as the absolute fog shrouding everyone's behavior in Prometheus did.

I feel Covenant's only real issue is in pacing over anything else. The moments of reprieve were too short, like the movie had ADHD. The movie was really working well in up to the night wheat sequence too. It just needed to slow the fuck down and build into its finale better at the end.
>>
>>83472766

She couldn't even go to help carry the infected guy, she had to make a call first ffs, then she freezes and doesn't even move to help.

She should've been shot immediately
>>
>>83472614
I was talking about Prometheus not Covenant, if there's more you didn't understand maybe I can help.
>>
>>83472285
Because there wouldn't be a movie if it took them 14 years roundtrip.
>>
>>83472871
No fucking shit you were talking about Prometheus but your assertion broadly applies to a matter discussed over several films in the franchise.

Fucking literalist retards I swear.
>>
He wanted to keep them alive so they could still colonize the planet they're going to.

Of course, that plan is pretty much ruined now that Daniels knows who he is. He could just have her mysteriously die in her cryopod, but can you really colonize an entire planet with just Danny McBride?
>>
>>83472766
>I feel Covenant's only real issue is in pacing over anything else.

>engineers killed in a short flashback
>David acting like a 100% certified psycho fucker the entire time and nobody decides to just put a bullet in him
>the crew finds a planet with wheat, a crashed alien ship and an entire alien city with psycho android there that wiped them out with monsters roaming around and springing out of people and nobody is particularly phased by it
>literally 90% of everything that happens in the movie is taken from other, better Alien movies

Entire movie was playing it safe too much.

It would be more interesting if everything was seen from David's POV and the first act is just following him as a continuation of Prometheus and the Covenant shows up halfway into the movie so all the boring tropes are avoided.
>>
>>83472285
>ask the colonists
What? You realize that the embryos were the colonists, right?

The only actual, sentient people on board were the crew.
>>
>>83474425
No, there were a small crew, actual colonists in cryo (can't recall the actual number atm but it was sizeable), and 2,000 embryos.
>>
I liked Prometheus a lot and I also liked Covenant, but I'm starting to wonder if this whole "the crew is a bunch of idiots who make stupid decisions" thing is intentional.

When it happened in Prometheus, I passed it off as a fluke. I'm Covenant, the crew just got even stupider and it's making me wonder if Ridley Scott is purposely having the normal humans make poor decisions as a thematic device.
>>
>>83474491
That's right. I forgot there were cryopods hanging around in that hallway. My bad.
>>
In what way did David enhanced xenomorphs. He made an air-transmitting disease into a parasite. Seems as a downgrade to me.
>>
>>83474425
What? I thought the 2000 number is grown people in cryopods who were supposed to build shit while the embryos grow. Why would you pack only 2000 embryos on a giant colonization mission? Thats asking for of inbreeding
>>
>>83455292
>how did the perfect killer organism know how to attack
The intelligence of covenant haters, everyone.
>>
>>83474625
I guess that's only the first batch of colonizer. They're not going to send 1 million of colonizers to a planet no human has set foot on
>>
>>83474525
The Covenant crew don't act stupid like in Prometheus, I don't get why people are saying this
>>
>>83474756
Mostly the captain scene for me. It was really bad. The rest is general panic or clearly intentional characterization that I can excuse.
>>
>>83474756
The geologist was high as fuck and probably he gave some to the biologist before they met the snake.
>>
File: Innocent Drax.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Innocent Drax.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>83454257
I'm so incensed by this film that I'm going to write a GotG/Alien crossover fanfic where the post-Volume 2 Guardians land on David's planet. It's not going to be terribly long because Quill watched The Terminator and Drax is the only one infected, but his body's so tough that he winds up just shitting out the Xenomorph which dies during the exit. The end's mostly navel-gazing as David tries to upend the Guardians' contempt for him being a robot by pointing out that Rocket is a cyborg and Groot is a goddamn tree.
>>
File: 1395167358652.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
1395167358652.gif
480KB, 493x342px
David flat out tells you why he does what he does in the end... He's been stuck on that god damn planet for ten years but he's lacked the mother fucking humans to further experiment with his new breed of aliens. What better way to do this than on a fresh new colony ship full of mother fucking humans? Even in this dumbed down piece of shit movie there are simple elements that are flat out told to you by characters yet people act like it's never fucking explained. Modern retards can't understand things through body language, dialogue and actions yet somehow when they're spoon fed explanations in trite scenes of exposition.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.