[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/who/ Doctor Who General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 47

File: Series 10.jpg (2MB, 5124x3411px) Image search: [Google]
Series 10.jpg
2MB, 5124x3411px
1 Day Left Edition

Last Thread: >>81609526
>>
File: 1408781342247.webm (600KB, 255x339px) Image search: [Google]
1408781342247.webm
600KB, 255x339px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_1-uJ6Ml4
>>
I didn't watch the last Christmas special. Did I miss anything important? Should I watch it before the new series tomorrow?
>>
>How did the idea of bringing back the ’60s style Cybermen come about?

>Moffat: I always liked those ones. And I never took it that seriously, but he [Minchin] kept saying that he thought they were the best ones and I preferred the metal-faced ones. But I did have a look at it and I thought there was something we could do that would make them look spooky and interesting, and there was a story coming up in which they fit. So that’s how it came about. I mean, obviously, I think if we tried this 10 years ago people would’ve laughed at it, but there’s something sort of retro and right about them now that makes it work.

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/moffat-minchin-doctor-who-interview/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Q9oS1fLfc
>>
>>81623747
Reminder that /who/ in less than 24 hours /who/ will be kill
>>
>>81623709
NO
>>
>>81623811
No to both
>>
>>81623811
Fun but disposable.
>>
>>81623811
Nardole (Bald guy from the previous Christmas special) is alive and well. And I envy the dead.

It might come up later that UNIT is now inflitrated by alien brain parasites, maybe not. I suspect the plot will run through Christmas specials, as it started with Husbands.
>>
>>81621799
>His Doctor became a "mad old buffer" who was largely stripped of nuance and subtlety.

10 was the least subtle Doctor though. Every one of Tennant's scenes would be improved if they were given to someone else, rather than having him there gurning and breathing heavily while he pores over his woes like an angsty teen. And that was as much RTD's fault as it was Tennant's. It was RTD who shoehorned in all the "muh Rose" whining. RTD invented the Time War guilt, a neat little tool for the Doctor to pull out whenever he needed to make some rousing speech. It was a lot better under 9, but that's because 9's Time War speeches mostly came from other writers, e.g. Shearman (Dalek) or the infamous "Everybody lives!" moment written by Moffat. Once you get to Series 2, RTD handles more of these speeches and the Time War gets old quick. Moffat made the right decision in ignoring it through most of his era.

>The companions were half-baked and under-developed - they were little more than ciphers, reduced to their narrative function, lacking any real depth or complexity.

Let me guess, you're going to cite Clara as one of these "half-baked" companions? Series 8 and 9 are Rose's arc done right. The whole point of Series 2 was to show Rose becoming more arrogant and Doctorlike as she travelled in the TARDIS, culminating in her comeuppance as she is locked in the alternate universe "forever". But Billie Piper didn't have the acting skills to back that up - not to mention the absolutely appalling writing at the end of the Series..
>>
>>81623811
no and if you want. The Christmas special was good but not needed
>>
>>81623839
>>81623858
>>81623873
>>81623907
Guess I'll put that on the list of episodes to get around to "eventually" then. Thanks Anons.
>>
>>81623883
>Series 8 and 9 are Rose's arc done right.
kek
>>
>>81623955
What else is on that list?
>>
>>81624017
About half of Matt Smith's era
Old who
Oh and Midnight. Forgot to watch it when it aired, never got around to watching it since
>>
File: p0503dz9.jpg (184KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
p0503dz9.jpg
184KB, 1280x720px
Reminder that Peter Capaldi on Graham Norton 5:30 US/10:30 UK

http://www.streamgaroo.com/tv-stream/united-kingdom/bbc-1-live-stream
>>
>>81624179
A pity all the juicy stuff is already on Youtube
>>
repostan

>>81623848

Well, I disagree about 10, as said here
>>81622771 (You)
and so far nobody's said exactly why 11 and 12 are more subtle.

Is there anything particularly subtle about 12 asking Clara "am I a good man?" in episode 2 of his tenure - the theme that defined his entire run? I'd say no, particularly. And what did the arc amount to? "I am not a good man! I'm not a bad man, either! I'm just...an idiot!"

So we had a whole arc that went nowhere, because ultimately it took us right back to "mad old buffer".

The thing is, Ten felt guilt and pain and loss over the Time War. When he pulled out a Time War speech - and I can only really remember Runaway Bride's "Gallifrey" speech for an actual example - he didn't do so triumphantly, like 11's constant crowing. He did it with a sense of gravity and grief. And why shouldn't Ten have woes? I'd imagine after 900 years of loss and sacrifice, I'd start to become bitter and resentful myself. That was a logical consequence of the Doctor's lifestyle, and the fact that you didn't like him because of it doesn't actually mean it didn't make sense, or it didn't make for good drama.

>Let me guess, you're going to cite Clara as one of these "half-baked" companions?

In her initial appearances, yes. She was clearly ill-conceived and developed. She was the "Impossible Girl" and nothing else. Just another quirky, quippy, sassy, feisty, kooky cipher like Amy. She GOT a personality, eventually, but her family or life beyond the Doctor didn't extend beyond dating Danny Pink. She was half-baked, in the sense that only half the character was ever considered or written.

And as for acting skills, I think that's always going to be subjective. I don't personally rate Coleman, I found her "I am the Doctor" speech at the beginning of Death in Heaven a crystallised example of why she's so poor in the role - she can only deliver lines in a single tone or register. She can't colour her performance with the emotion of the scene.
>>
>>81624179
Capaldi is fucking hot with that hair. Would let that daddie fuck me.
>>
https://youtu.be/Xaw9bQb0oT0
>>
>>81624334
I adore you man
You said things I couldnt express myself so well
Thank you!
>>
File: C9VvbWbXkAAXwmh.jpg (106KB, 632x960px) Image search: [Google]
C9VvbWbXkAAXwmh.jpg
106KB, 632x960px
Great cover
>>
>>81624430
75%
>>
>>81622771
>But his self-regard is a major flaw. He's hubristic, narcisstic, and self-righteous, something that lends him a cruelty and malice not usually seen in the Doctors. Yet, for all his cruelty, for all his confidence, he's also lonely and vulnerable - and his cruelty is borne, to an extent, from compassion. He suffers when others suffer - he cares, he genuinely cares for their pain, which is what's lent him such a tyrannical streak in the second and third series.
IDK, subtlety is a hard to define thing but I'd say most of that is explicit in his "no higher authority than me" speech in New Earth. If not then, then certainly in The Waters of Mars, although that's at the tail end of his era and playing off themes that have been there throughout.

>By the fourth, he's had to come to terms with the damage he does to other people, and, to an extent, he's been able to grieve the Time Lords through the Master's passing.
Not sure what you mean by this. I don't think he changed significantly in series 4.

>Amy's Choice, the Girl Who Waited, the God Complex all really tear down a Doctor who's been exposed, to an extent, for a sham - if there's one thing that drives 11, it's guilt and self-loathing
Those episodes are all pretty unsubtle about those themes. I just mean that in general it's less obvious what the Doctor is thinking and feeling in any given scene. They hide their emotions more and communicate things by implication.
>>
>>81624334
Die.
>>
File: DW.jpg (26KB, 544x183px) Image search: [Google]
DW.jpg
26KB, 544x183px
Anyone else really not looking forward to Bill and seeing that gormless fucking look on her face every time the camera's on her?
>>
GRAHAM NORTON SHOW
WITH CAPALDI
IN 30 MINS
GET HYPE
GET ONBOARD

CYTU BE / R / CASUALWHOSTREAM
>>
>>81624469
>Doctor Who writers/artists no longer hate Colin
What brave new world is this?
>>
>>81623811
Maybe the last little bit with Nardole, because i think it might set the tone of what The Doctor is feeling.
>>
Why are RTDcucks so prone to samefagging?
>>
>>81624616
I'm not going to be viewing her through hate goggles where all of her facial expressions translate as a slack-jawed, dehumanised 'gormlessness', if that's what you're trying to express here.
>>
>>81624616
go back to /got/
>>
>>81624687
Because they're the minority here (25%) and they know it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (602KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
602KB, 1200x720px
GET HYPE
>>
>>81624689
Ok how about the fact everything she says seems to be quirky for the sake of being quirky and sounds like she's reading a script from the early 00's.
>>
>>81624687
>>81624742
nice samefag
>>
>>81624662
explain pls, i dont want to watch that shit
>>
>>81624768
You havent seen an episode yet
>>
File: Capture.png (5KB, 365x104px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5KB, 365x104px
>>81624777
>>
>>81624551
Well the change in series 4 is demonstrated by how appalled he is when Metacrisis Ten exterminates the Daleks. He's past the rage and anger of the Time War, and he's got pity now, even for his enemies.

>They hide their emotions more and communicate things by implication.

Do they, though? What are they communicating? And if they are doing that, is it any different from Ten blithely prat-falling through the alien ship in Family of Blood, only to enact the most cold and ruthless kind of retribution imaginable in the subsequent scenes? As self-deprecating and silly as he is on the ship, is there anything silly about the eternity of torment he inflicts on his enemies, or the total humourlessness of his face?

I don't see Ten's cheeriness being any different from Eleven's eccentricity or Twelve's callousness, and I'd dispute the idea that Eleven and Twelve, particularly, are somehow more subtle and nuanced than Ten on that grounds.
>>
>muh nostalgia
>>
>>81624842
nice shoop
>>
>>81624777
nice projection RTDcuck
>>
File: 25hours.png (13KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
25hours.png
13KB, 360x360px
Less than 24 hours until the beginning of the end.
>>
Is the doctor going to be female?

That would be so stupid and SJW.
>>
>>81624958
>Well the change in series 4 is demonstrated by how appalled he is when Metacrisis Ten exterminates the Daleks.
I still would love to know what Actual10's plan would've been. Metacrisis10 did him a fucking favour.
>>
>>81624981
>implying
why don't you write another eye bleed of a post on the superiority of farting aliens and blowjob slabs
>>
>>81622771
>he's been able to grieve the Time Lords through the Master's passing.

What?
>>
File: 1465081512042.jpg (236KB, 584x581px) Image search: [Google]
1465081512042.jpg
236KB, 584x581px
>>81624752
>>
File: 1492183725986.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1492183725986.gif
3MB, 500x281px
Series 6-9
>>
>>81624334
>Coleman's acting

Say what you want, but Jenna changes her register at the ending scene of Kill the Moon. From when they land back on Earth, and you can see Clara's anger bubbling through, to her outburst at the end, with fear and anger on her face. Then there's the Dark Water scene in the volcano, where Jenna shows Clara's anger turning into desperation and sadness, and eventually pleading.

Even in Series 7b, you can see, in Time of the Doctor's ending scene, Jenna shows Clara's grief and fear as she knows the Doctor's about to change.

None of that is at the same register.
>>
>>81625354
Coleman is very hit and miss.
>>
>>81625323
KEK
>>81625112
I think he just means that it sort of gave him closure or helped him to process it up close. I don't really know if losing all of my people, then getting one of them back, then losing him would help me, personally, but I'm sure someone's psychological makeup could process that positively or cathartically.
>>
>>81624958
>Well the change in series 4 is demonstrated by how appalled he is when Metacrisis Ten exterminates the Daleks. He's past the rage and anger of the Time War, and he's got pity now, even for his enemies.
I guess, but that always seemed kind of bullshit to me. I mean, what would he have done? NOT exterminated the Daleks? They were going to destroy the entire multiverse. Anyway, Donna was the one who really killed them and he doesn't seem mad at her.

>Do they, though? What are they communicating? And if they are doing that, is it any different from Ten blithely prat-falling through the alien ship in Family of Blood, only to enact the most cold and ruthless kind of retribution imaginable in the subsequent scenes? As self-deprecating and silly as he is on the ship, is there anything silly about the eternity of torment he inflicts on his enemies, or the total humourlessness of his face?
That's not really what I mean. That was a Troughton-esque ruse designed to fool his enemies, I'm thinking more of how the Doctor relates to his friends and companions, like the end of Death in Heaven or the way 11 uses his travel as a sort of escapism. In general, I don't think 10 is a dark, angry man pretending to be a swashbuckling adventurer, he's a swashbuckling adventurer who sometimes gets dark and angry.
>>
>>81625112
Well, that's my interpretation, anyway, based on the fact that prior to series 4, the Doctor seems especially vengeful and ruthless - in the series 4 finale, he seems to have come to terms, to an extent, with the trauma of the Time War, given that he castigates Metacrisis Ten for enacting genocide on the Daleks - compared to "no second chances" 10 from the Christmas Invasion, Runaway Bride, the Family of Blood, etc. He just seems especially chill following Last of the Time Lords - which I took to be him coming to terms with being alone - hence the title.
>>
>>81625392
How so? Give examples.
>>
>>81625559
Oh. I misread your post. My bad.
>>
fuck lads won the Thunderball
>>
shit m8 just won the earthshock
>>
>>81624179
>Warren Beatty on Graham Norton

Can't wait for 10 minutes on the Oscar flub.

ALSO FUCK ME DADDY CAPALDI.
>>
File: vervy.png (474KB, 555x600px) Image search: [Google]
vervy.png
474KB, 555x600px
>>81625323
kek
>>
Guys, you have to watch Graham Norton. Capaldi looks so fucking hot it is ridiculous...also the fuck, how is he getting younger each time? Is he sucking Tennant's and Smith's life force?
>>
>>81625668
I won the Euro millions, take that Brexshiteers.
>>
Christ, being made to promote the show on your birthday.
>>
>>81625401

I see where you're coming from, and I respect that. You've convinced me, to an extent - I think 11 and 12 are more subtle in the sense that they are more guarded then 10 was, although 10 I think was guarded at times - when he was hurt, or rejected, for example. I wouldn't say that that made them more nuanced, though. Maybe it's because I see 10 as a more relatable Doctor, someone who's experiences are broadly translatable to real-life, human experiences, whereas Moffat's always gone with "the Doctor is an alien" - and maybe just because Moffat's proliferation as a writer tends to rob 11 and 12 of nuance in his actual episodes.

I don't see 11 travelling for escapism as being something intrinsic to his incarnation, though - that's in the DNA of every Doctor.
>>
>>81625859
They film on a Wednesday
>>
>>81625812
Can't, I'm watching Fellowship of the Ring for the billionth time and once I've started, I have to see it through.
>>81625859
Pretty sure it's recorded like a day or two before, if not much earlier even than that.
>>
>>81625859
You know he is probably getting money for it, right?
>>
>>81625888
ah, they're only *pretending*
>>
>>81625919

Yeah it's kind of funny when the guests have to pretend how their christmas went when it's on then.
>>
>>81624958
>Twelve's callousness

Twelve's callousness is deeper than that. He's callous in part because he's alien, but also because he's introverted. He has a lot of emotion, but he's not comfortable with being emotional with everyone, so he has a spiky exterior. Another part of his prickliness is that he believes in beinh honest. He's tired of at playing human--he's now being himself, warts and all. That also means he's somewhat less manipulative.

Part of the depth of Series 8 is the audience, and Clara, learning that despite not being as warm as Eleven, Twelve does care in his own way, despite his apparent "callousness." (And another depth to Series 8 is Clara learning that she's callous, in her own way.)
>>
>>81625877
Actually, that brings to mind a problem with the show in general - how do you give a 900-2000 year old creature an arc? I think that's why I've always found Ten's arc enjoyable - in some ways, it's a second lease of life, a sort of mid-life crisis, so his renewed enthusiasm and whimsy make a lot of sense. As does 11's regression to childhood - I feel like his persona, rather than his travels, was what made 11 more "escapist" - he was literally trying to escape the burdens of being the Doctor. My problem with that is that it was an idea Moffat last interest in very quickly, and the Doctor under Moffat doesn't really have any flaws, nor does he have to answer for them.
>>
>>81626062
Yeah, I got all that from watching the show - but how is that subtle?
>>
>>81626066
>and the Doctor under Moffat doesn't really have any flaws, nor does he have to answer for them.
Does he not? Interestingly, under Moffat, the Doctor's become more of a liar, for one thing. ("Rule 1: the Doctor lies"). He's always pulled fast ones and told fibs but not to the extent of 2010 onwards. He isn't always called out on his shit either, apart from when River gives him a slap.
>>
>>81626062
Oh, disregard >>81626097, misread the trip. But yeah, I agree with all that - I was just saying that his callousness was a mask for his compassion, that, fundamentally, he's trying to help, and do the right thing, but that he's suffered so much, and for so long, he's become hardened to his losses. Ten, I would've said, uses his cheery demeanour to mask his age and his pain. Twelve has completely shed any mask.
>>
>>81626156
>He isn't always called out on his shit either

That's what I mean, though. He doesn't have to answer for his flaws, and as a result, are they actually flaws at all? Is 11 actually harming anyone with his lies? Is he shown to have done wrong by lying in any of Moffat's episodes? I can't remember that being the case - in fact, isn't the episode he does that the Big Bang, where it's treated as an ingenious gambit - despite putting the lives of his companions at risk?
>>
10 and 11 don't really have arcs though.
Not necessarily a bad thing, most of the classic doctors didn't.
But they just kind of did whatever with those doctors.

12 on the other hand has had a lot of development and growth imo.
>>
>>81626097
It's subtle, because:

A) It's a lot deeper than "Twelve is rude!"

B) It's never directly stated in the series. To the point where a lot of people missed this, and stopped at "Twelve is rude af"
>>
>>81623709
>mfw I always see the thumbnail and think its a Bill and Ted Excellent General Thread and it never is.
>>
>>81626274
It's an issue I have with some of Moffat's Doctor. He does questionable shit but isn't always called out on it. Compare to, say, Gridlock, where the Doctor tells quite a harmless fib but rectifies it (and apologises to Martha) at the end. That's so important. But then along comes 11 who seems to just lie because he likes it and nobody seems to care. Hmm.
>>
Miranda Hart next Doctor confirmed
>>
File: ag.jpg (57KB, 349x437px) Image search: [Google]
ag.jpg
57KB, 349x437px
>>81626313
It can be if you want it to anon.
>>
>>81626307

Yeah, but I wasn't saying that, what I was saying was that I don't think there's a fundamental distinction between Twelve's callousness masking his compassion and Ten's cheeriness masking his underlying brooding angst. I like Capaldi and 12 a lot more than 11, if that wasn't clear. It's just a shame that in series 9, he lost a lot of the edge and spikiness.
>>
>>81625877
Fair enough. You seem like a nice anon.

>>81626066
>how do you give a 900-2000 year old creature an arc?
I don't see that as a problem in itself, the problem is trying to keep the story going through of decades of character arcs without repeating the same ones or making them feel inconsequential. But it kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and got into Greek mythology, I found it weird that the gods didn't have arcs. How could they just stay the same forever? Didn't they have experiences that changed them, however old they were?

>I feel like his persona, rather than his travels, was what made 11 more "escapist" - he was literally trying to escape the burdens of being the Doctor.
Yeah.

>My problem with that is that it was an idea Moffat last interest in very quickly, and the Doctor under Moffat doesn't really have any flaws, nor does he have to answer for them.
But what about that scene where they're locked up in Day of the Doctor and War and 10 both call him out on his bullshit? Or the whole wrist-breaking bit in The Angels Take Manhattan?
>>
>>81626313
BOGUS!
>>
>>81626307
It's not deeper than that though, is it?

12 has a gay old time taking the piss out of everybody in Into the Dalek, including the bereaved and the dead, and he's positively gleeful that the dalek turns out to be evil because it means he's right. He's not Doctor Who, he's Doctor House, and it's only Clara bollocking him that makes him change his mind - not because he cares that hundreds of people are now being exterminated, which evidently he doesn't, but because Clara doesn't like him any more. There's no depth to his callousness in that episode - the guy's just a prick.
>>
>>81626347
But, under Moffat, Twelve got some raked through the coals at the end of Kill the Moon. And he straight up loses Clara forever due to his sins in Hell Bent.

Danny calls him out. Clara calls him out. Me calls him out. Ohila (the Sister of the Flame) calls him out.

Series 8 and 9 is all about calling him out.
>>
People slapping the Doctor always grates on me, in both RTD and Moffat's eras. In RTD's time, it's essentially a running gag because it's always the mother (apart from Donna who does it to slap him out of it). In Moffat's era, from memory, River slaps him a couple of times and Jenny slaps him. The latter is fair enough because he sexually assaults her ffs but even then he doesn't apologise. River at one point slaps him for something he hasn't done yet (which is kind of stupid). Ugh. I just hope Bill doesn't slap the Doctor. It's one thing that needs to stop.

(I apologise for my incoherent mess. I just don't like the slaps, basically.)
>>
>>81626591
Bill doesn't seem like the slapping type.
>>
>>81626591
It's not necessary for the companion to slap the Doctor and shouldn't be normalised. There'd ne uproar if it was the other way around
>>
File: 1463016394869.jpg (112KB, 485x428px) Image search: [Google]
1463016394869.jpg
112KB, 485x428px
>>81626591
>Ugh
>>
>>81626576
True, but I feel like 11 rarely got called out for his bullshit. Maybe the way they've handled 12 is partly a reaction to that. They give him a line about how he's 2000 years old and made many mistakes and now he wants to fix that. I love that, cos it does seem like the Doctor finally taking some responsibility for some shit he's done. Him saying sorry to Clara for his 11th self acting as though he was her boyfriend, etc.

I just wish 11 had been called out more. Or just been more genuinely nice and less 'laddish' at times.

>>81626660
Completely agree. Nobody should be slapping anyone in this show. Have the companion mouth off (Clara in Kill the Moon, and the Doctor calls her out for saying 'bloody', etc) but never violence. Slaps aren't funny either, Steven.
>>
>>81626470
>>81626408

Thanks. I needed that today. First my tendies were soggy, and the a crippling nostalgia took over. I am gonna go take a shower and cry.
>>
File: fag.gif.gif (4MB, 720x305px) Image search: [Google]
fag.gif.gif
4MB, 720x305px
>>81626699
Sorry to hear that Anon. I'd give you a hug but you'd call me a fag
>>
Capaldi finally talking about the Weinstein story
>>
>>81626694
>Or just been more genuinely nice and less 'laddish' at times.
To clarify, I mean I wish there'd been less of this type of stuff:

"Impossible girl. A mystery wrapped in an enigma squeezed into a skirt that's just a little bit too tight. Oh yeah."

&

Him hiding up a woman's dress in the Series 6 opener, as well as kissing Jenny like some drunk idiot on a night out.
>>
>>81626565
Clara literally calls him out on that in the episode. And he changes his mind because he realizes he's being an asshole at that moment. It has nothing to do with Clara being mad versus happy--it's because he recognizes Clara's mad at a very specific moment of self-righteous rudeness.

Twelve is particularly rude in the beginning--but in context, it's in a situation where being maudlin could waste time. The reason Twelve doesn't cry tears over the dead is because tears won't bring the dead back, or keep anyone else alive. So he doesn't see the point is wasting tears--he is inside the most dangerous creature in existence, and can't waste time in being polite, in his eyes.

House literally doesn't care. Twelve does care, but doesn't think dwelling on his feelings will save anyone.
>>
>>81626837
They ruined 11 after Series 5.
>>
>>81626858
>Twelve does care, but doesn't think dwelling on his feelings will save anyone.
I think this is the angle they were going for with Colin Baker too, but badly mishandled.
>>
EXTERMINIEREN
>>
That Tardis intro was great tbqh.
>>
>>81626446
Yeah, I was thinking about that scene when I wrote the post. War says something like "what made you two so afraid of growing up?", and 10's appalled because 11's stopped counting the dead - to which he replies, "what's the point"? So points to Moffat there. I don't remember the Angels bit, and I won't be rewatching it kek, I just can't summon the willpower - but that being said, I can't discard or dismiss the "but what abouts". The problem is, those same "but what abouts" are undermined by the "but then agains".

How many episodes has Moffat written where it doesn't come up at all? The issue isn't that Moffat should be obliged to keep harping on the same theme, but rather that there are times where the Doctor doesn't seem to carry any pain or sorrow at all, and in fact, is enabled to erase any he does carry. Like, I wouldn't say the wacky silly Raggedy Man is always a misdirection - for the most part, it's unproblematically presented as being the Doctor.

It feels less like 11 running away from his past, than it does Steven Moffat running away from having to write any kind of consequence into his scripts. The Time War is erased, Clara lives in a state of indefinite immortality, Amy's bereavement is somehow compensated by having Mels as a bestie, etc. There just seems so many episodes where the joke is "haha, there was no jeopardy!" - Wedding of River Song, looking at you - that it's hard to buy into the idea of 11 as an aggrieved individual. I suppose you could argue that 12 is 11 coming to terms with growing up and accepting/ living with loss rather than fleeing from it. Possibly.

And yeah, sometimes I'm nice. Sometimes I make reductive and contrarian statements like >>81626565 to """"provoke a discussion""". Into the Dalek's actually my favorite episode from Capaldi's run.
>>
>>81626694
11's entire story is about getting blamed for things that aren't his fault, and each time he deals with it he finds a bigger version of the same thing behind it. Which is really a pretty paranoid and horrifying thing to spend your entire life going through.

Him actually dealing with that all the time might be a little too dark. Spending most of his time running away from it and having fun with his side adventures allows the story in the background to be dark while still letting most of the episodes be fun. Which was a pretty cool idea, and mostly well executed.

The problem is that it does mean it's hard for him to called to task for anything smaller than "[we mistakenly believe that] you destroyed the universe", because he's constantly running away from that larger charge.
>>
>>81626858
I think we're meant to remember that he was on Trenzalore for literally 900 or so years too at this point. He was still his usual happy bumbly Doctory self but he must've grown quite loathing of being stranded in one place for so long, all because the Daleks and the aliens wouldn't fuck off and just leave everyone alone. He probably grew very tired of having to fend off attacks, and barely had any interaction with Clara. Thus, when he becomes 12, he probably feels quite free again but retains some of that aloofness and coldness, until Clara helps him re-find his love and compassion throughout S8 (shown by the fact he hates hugs in the opener but then gives her one in the finale, plus other stuff).
>>
>>81626930
I agree.

They handled it well in Series 8. But I think some people didn't get that distinction. That's why we get the "Twelve is House" comments--the distinction is very subtle.
>>
Will we see those aliens from the Dr Mysterio episode this series? I hope not
>>
:(
https://twitter.com/Oxy_m0ron/status/853006464482516997
>>
>>81626858
Yeah, but he's strutting around inside the dalek well chuffed with himself. He's not actively trying to prevent people from getting death-rayed, he's faffing instead. I don't think it can be hand-waved with "he doesn't have time to be nice!" Surely he should've postponed the victory lap until AFTER the dalek had been stopped?
>>
>>81627047
>and 10's appalled because 11's stopped counting the dead
Which is kind of funny because 10 never really showed signs of this haunting him in his era. Yes, he grieved and he remembered his race fondly... but the children of Gallifrey (a big deal in the 50th) never even comes up until the 50th itself.
>>
Oh, the clip they showed has some redone Ninth Doctor music (I think). They're really going for the Rose angle, aren't they?
>>
Peter's a Jennifer Hudson fan.
>>
>>81627173
"This time there's three of us". It's from the 50th.
>>
>>81627047
>There just seems so many episodes where the joke is "haha, there was no jeopardy!" - Wedding of River Song, looking at you
See also The Name of the Doctor, where River says Clara will die if she walks into the timestream... but then everything's fine and the Doctor just walks in and out of it with ease, carrying Clara out too, and it's never mentioned again. Like he can't be bothered exploring consequences sometimes, or following things up. Another point is that the Daleks forget the Doctor in Series 7, which would be interesting for a story or two, with the Doctor feeling differently around the Daleks, there's scope for a new perspective on the old "mortal enemies, they hate each other" thing... but by the next time they show up (Time of), they've just remembered him and there's no exploration and eh who cares.
>>
>>81627225
>>81627173
It's Madman with a Box actually.
>>
>>81627047
>provoke a discussion

Next time, please say "Devils advocate" or something. Some people honestly believe what you said.

>Into the Dalek

I still remember the Twelve monologue to Rusty in the workprint version. There was no music, no CGI graphics of a galaxy, just Twelve talking to the screen. And it was beautiful.

>reminder of that anon's dream about having an awkward silence with Twelve while they both hear cyborg guy is ramming Clara in the bedroom
>>
>>81627112
Classic Who is full of scenes of the Doctor castigating other people for not caring when he doesn't show any more caring himself. Especially with Three and Four (most blatantly with Astra's sacrifice in The Armageddon Factor).

I get the sense that Moffat sees Ten in that same mould, but not his own Doctors.
>>
>>81627225
>>81627241
My mistake. Too tired right now.
>insert Harriet Jones joke here
>>
>>81627173
It's a new arrangement of A Mad Man In A Box from series 5.
>>
File: sweaty Shin.jpg (196KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty Shin.jpg
196KB, 1280x720px
>>81627190
>Jennifer Hudson

Phwoar has she got some THICC. He should definitely give her the Capaldick.
>>
>>81627048
>11's entire story is about getting blamed for things that aren't his fault, and each time he deals with it he finds a bigger version of the same thing behind it. Which is really a pretty paranoid and horrifying thing to spend your entire life going through.

It sort of is, but mostly it isn't. To me, 11's era started out as a deconstruction of the messianic myth that RTD's era built up around the Doctor - which was itself an acknowledgement of how unlikely it was the Doctor could show up at every significant event in every planet's history and not somehow be remembered.

11 didn't blow up the universe, but he was the "goblin" that fell out of the sky and tore down worlds. He was soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. If he was the "Lonely God" to humanity, he was the Devil to his enemies, and his ruthless, genocidal actions had resulted in him being dreaded amongst some of the races of the universe. Is it his fault that the Tardis exploded, or the Time Lords were coming back? Not entirely. Was it his fault that everybody in the universe was terrified of him? Yes.

He was sowing what he'd reaped. There's a good line in A Good Man Goes to War about the word "Doctor" meaning warrior on some worlds, and River says something about "look how afraid of you they are - to go to all this effort just to stop you."

But did he have to change because of any of that? Was he forced to confront the price of his hubris, reckon with his own lack of compassion? No. Instead, all he had to do was hack a dalek mainframe and delete himself from their memory banks. What he ultimately does is dodge the consequences of anything that he's ever done. He never suffers and never really loses.
>>
>>81627234
>Another point is that the Daleks forget the Doctor in Series 7, which would be interesting for a story or two, with the Doctor feeling differently around the Daleks, there's scope for a new perspective on the old "mortal enemies, they hate each other" thing... but by the next time they show up (Time of), they've just remembered him and there's no exploration and eh who cares.
Yeah, the whole "Doctor erases all records of himself from history" thing was a lot of wasted potential. I think that's something Moffat intended to continue in Matt Smith's future seasons, but then Matt Smith left and he didn't want to carry it over to Capaldi so he just dropped it. I still think it would have been nice if it had carried over.
>>
That new clip was GOAT.

A unique take on the companion entering the TARDIS and it's really good!
>>
Next week, Brendan O'Carroll, Vicky McClure, Rob Brydon and Harry Styles

Next next week, Goldie Hawn, Amy Schumer, John Boyega and Lucie Jones
>>
>>81627388
link please
>>
>>81626987
Really nice direction, love how it keeps zooming out and the whole screen is dark except for Bill and the doors in the corner. Music's great too. Really excited for tomorrow.
>>
Bill a qt. A QT.
>>
>>81627419

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/853009989224415234
>>
>>81627371
>and River says something about "look how afraid of you they are - to go to all this effort just to stop you."
This never really sat well with me, because in Silence in the Library she then marvels at how "whole armies would turn and run away, and he'd swagger off back to his TARDIS" as though it was oh so very wonderful. Yet in that moment in A Good Man, she's ripping him a new one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4VPJJ4yrs
>>
File: Shiggy Negan.png (393KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Shiggy Negan.png
393KB, 450x450px
>>81627404
>Amy Schumer
>>
>>81627433
oh shit that was GOAT
based capaldi
>>
>>81627419
>>
Jarvis Cocker should be the next doctor.
>>
>>81627371
>No. Instead, all he had to do was hack a dalek mainframe and delete himself from their memory banks.
No, that doesn't actually solve the problem for him, and that's exactly what I mean by "each time he deals with it he finds a bigger version of the same thing".

He defeats the Pandorica Alliance, he defeats the Silents, he defeats the River plot, he defeats the Daleks—but it keeps following him through his entire life, and he ends up trapped for 900 years on a planet that will be destroyed if he doesn't continuously defend it.

Three seasons of that would be pretty bleak. (Especially when you consider that 11 is reaping what 10 sowed, not what he did.) It's only because he spends most of his time doing other things (and explicitly does stuff like go off on a 200-year tour that we don't even see) that it isn't.
>>
>>81627371
>But did he have to change because of any of that? Was he forced to confront the price of his hubris, reckon with his own lack of compassion? No. Instead, all he had to do was hack a dalek mainframe and delete himself from their memory banks. What he ultimately does is dodge the consequences of anything that he's ever done. He never suffers and never really loses.
This sums up why a lot of Series 6 and 7 fail to work for me.
>>
>>81627472
what a great scene, seriously
the way the camera pulls back and back and builds up to the TARDIS lighting up
it's beautiful
>>
GOAT series 10
>>
>>81627374
Agreed. Or it could've been an ongoing thing throughout Series 7, to the point where it played a part in the finale or something. Instead, by Trenzalore, he seems to be his usual self and nowt's changed.
>>
THIS IS SO GOAT
I LOVE CAPALDI
>>
>>81627264
Well the thing is, it might've been reductive but it wasn't necessarily untrue. It does represent a weird anomaly, where the Doctor goes beyond the necessarily callous into the needlessly cruel. I do wonder why - maybe by mocking the death of Dolorous Ed, he's making them focus on anger rather than grief.
>>
the current tardis is the best
i don't see how chibnall can top it.
>>
>>81627609
Series 10 is going to reach unseen heights of comfy.
>>
SERIES 9 SOUNDTRACK FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>81627670
At this point they'll probably just lump it in with the series 10 OST.
>>
>>81627534
10 is 11, though. It's 1 thru 10. 11 is responsible for everything 10 did, and more. And the dalek mainframe hack doesn't solve anything just because Moffat's lazy.
>>
>>81627646
I suspect he'll keep it, because why spend a fortune changing it when he can use the budget elsewhere? They might just redecorate it and change the colours, and they should put a moving up and downy thing (technical term) in the time rotor.
>>
cringe
>>
Looks like s10 might just make up for the shit show that was series 9. Shame most of the normies have written Capaldi off already.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h31m54s173.png (1MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h31m54s173.png
1MB, 1920x1090px
>>
>>81627695
Sure, of course they're all the Doctor. But if one incarnation has to spend his entire time dealing with the consequences of what the last one did—that would be like if 3 never got to leave Earth.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h33m20s205.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h33m20s205.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
>>
>>81627742
S10 promo seems like an attempt to get all the normies back on board. They've certainly pushed it more than any series since the 50th desu, and the PR is "ALL NEW!" etc.
>>
>>81627553
>This sums up why a lot of Series 6 and 7 fail to work for me.
My problem with S7 is that the ultimate resolution of the Doctor's character arc is that the fake persona he'd been putting on to avoid dealing with his problems turned out to be the real him underneath it all. Which is a clever idea to explore in a novel, but it doesn't work on TV or film, at least not for a main character, because there's no way for it to come across except as "He was just a shallowly-acted character all along".
>>
>>81627784
It's a shame Capaldi gets 'lost' in the detail of the TARDIS. I love the set and the lighting and the many many many ways they find to direct it, but the characters sometimes appear 'lost' within the frame.
>>
>>81627824
This.
>>
>>81627784
such a GOAT shot
>Time and Relative Dimension in Space
>TARDIS for short
Permission to SQUEEEE!
>>
>>81627785
BBC got lazy after the 50th.
They thought they just coast and let the show sell itself.
Then they started constantly changing the time slots during S9 and airing it later while kids were sleeping.
Seems like this year they're actually trying again.
>>
File: d14-12g-c701.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
d14-12g-c701.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>81627834
Yeah. Close-ups work better for dialogue bits in the TARDIS.
>>
YES
YES
YES
GET HYPE
GET HYPE FOR THE LEFTY BBC PUSHING MORE CULTURAL MARXISM DOWN OUR THROATS
OPENING EP: THE DOCTOR LETS GAY UGANDAN REFUGEES POS HIS NEG HOLE
>>
>>81627784
There's something I really like about the pride of place given to the widescreen monitor in this design. Like they're calling out that it's the most commonplace thing in the TARDIS, but it's also the only thing that couldn't have been in a TARDIS design not that many years ago. It reminds me of when they started highlighting the portable-TV-style scanner in the mid-60s.
>>
>>81627785
Yeah, it's very normie-targeted, probably in an attempt to undo the ratings dip from last series. If all this doesn't increase the ratings, then the show is really in trouble.
>>
>>81627943
hola reddit
>>
>You're safe here! You're safe here and you always will be.

Bill's gonna fucking die lads
>>
>>81627947
I still want a huge wall scanner back (remember in Victory of the Daleks when they showed a huge round one, that we never ever saw again *cries*)
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h40m48s970.png (162KB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h40m48s970.png
162KB, 1920x1090px
>>
>>81627943
Nice bait. I doubt doctor who will ever go full political, unless series 11 has "Let's kill trump"
>>
>>81628004
didn't they reuse it in The Girl Who Waited?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h40m36s115.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-14-18h40m36s115.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
>>
>>81626891
Agreed.

11 was so GOAT in 2010.

http://deadhpool.tumblr.com/post/159301482144/so-dont-insult-me
>>
File: 288.gif (462KB, 314x254px) Image search: [Google]
288.gif
462KB, 314x254px
>>81627994
>>
File: wew bill.jpg (10KB, 344x366px) Image search: [Google]
wew bill.jpg
10KB, 344x366px
>>81627943
>>
PEARL IS GOAT AND THAT THEME

https://youtu.be/oM4VPJJ4yrs
>>
>>81628004
The Sixth Doctor had a scanner like that in the comics, and since his TARDIS interior seemed to keep randomly changing size, sometimes it was absolutely enormous.
>>
>>81628051
Those two side panels full of buttons around the edge of the console area... have we ever seen 11 or 12 using them!? Seems like a bit of a waste.
>>
series 10 will be the best of nuwho
>>
>>81628114
pretty sure 11 used them in Bells of St. John for the short hop
>>
>>81628022
You have swallowed the BBCs agenda and don't even realise it.

Ep 2: The Doctor leads his gay and negroid chums to a protest rally on Skaro to protest about the ruling regimes treatment of gay Daleks
>>
>>81623709
Holy shit, it starts tomorrow?
I didn't even know.
>>
File: vacuous11.gif (2MB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
vacuous11.gif
2MB, 500x200px
>>81627824
Yep.
>>
>>81628140
what color is your tinfoil fedora m8
>>
>>81628133
1 episode then, out of how many since Christmas 2012?

Would be nifty to see Nardole using them a bit more. More piloting of the ship would be fun. 12 just seems to tap a few things and then pull that lever and boom sorted. I miss the manic Doctor running around the console doing calculations and trying to steer it.
>>
File: unf.png (694KB, 540x800px) Image search: [Google]
unf.png
694KB, 540x800px
>>
>>81627994
companions never die dummy
>>
>>81627784
Well I found my new wallpaper
>>
>>81628285
>Adric.jpg
>Katarina.jpg
>>
File: baggy utilitarian trousers.jpg (68KB, 305x571px) Image search: [Google]
baggy utilitarian trousers.jpg
68KB, 305x571px
>>81628285
>>
>>81628306
>implying Katarina counts
>>
GET FUCKING HYPE LADS

IT'S HAPPENING

THE BEST SERIES EVER

STARTING TOMORROW
>>
File: whoisshe.gif (428KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
whoisshe.gif
428KB, 500x200px
/who/ is she?
>>
>>81627943
"'Cultural Marxism' has, in a few short years, gone from a real theory to a ridiculous conspiracy theory to something that faux conservatives complain about without even bothering to look up what it's supposed to mean"
--Pat Buchanan, 2001
>>
>>81628385
/who/ gives a fuck?
>>
File: QT.gif (2MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
QT.gif
2MB, 245x245px
>>
Imagine if this had been the first episode of series 8. Could probably have saved the show. It's a shame Moffat had to spend the first two series of Capaldi's doctor doing weirdo VNA style stories. The version of the show least compatible with the general public. That only loners, and losers like.

If this had launched Capaldi's Doctor, he might well have stayed a little longer. He could have been NuWho's Tom Baker. The definitive version of the character for this iteration of the show.

But now, because of these mistakes, we're going to end up with a younger doctor. A more Tennant Doctor. It rarely ever works. Matt Smith did very well, conveying being an older man, but I think the nice thing with Capaldi is that he really does feel ancient and youthful. Mysterious and exciting, and there's never a sense of sex, or love in that sense. He's just a really interesting person, and someone you have fun hanging out with on mad adventures exploring the universe.

Wasted.

Still, series 10 looks like it might be the greatest series since 1!
>>
Calling it right now. Bill will be the best NuWho companion.
>>
>>81627877
I'VE BEEN SAYING "DIMENSIONS" FOR 12 FUCKING YEARS
>>
>>81628325
But companions die all the time.
>Rory
>Rory
>Amy
>Rory
>Rory and Amy
>The Brig
>Clara
>>
>>81628464
I kind of agree, but that line
>That only loners, and losers like.
Is too much
>>
>>81628385
Innocet.
>>
Does anyone have a link to the graham norton episode from earlier with peter?
>>
>>81628266
hnnnnng
>>
>>81628496
Don't feel bad, everyone gets it wrong half the time. Even the Doctor. Even Susan, and she supposedly invented the acronym. Five and Ten are the only Doctors who ever used the singular consistently or corrected anyone else on it.
>>
>>81628464
Capaldi literally just said on Graham Norton that he left because the filming was exhausting and he was concerned he couldn't do his best work if he stayed longer; it's nothing to do with "mistakes" or a "younger, more Tennant Doctor".
>>
>>81628548
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1-bvRYpGE
>>
>>81628597
Nine was also consistent. He only used it once on TV and never in any other medium, but 1/1 is still consistent, right?
>>
>>81628548
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7bjnmoq_X0
>>
THE WOBBLY LEVER
>>
>>81628747

thank you!
>>
I'M SERIES 5 LEVEL OF HYPE

I NEEDED THAT FEEL FOR A LONG TIME
I'M SATISFIED WITH EVERY SINGLE TRAILER AND CLIP
BILL SEEMS GOAT
CAPALDI SEEMS GOAT
EPISODES SEEM GOAT

who /HYPE/ here?
>>
>>81628768
WIBBLY
>>
>>81628801
Honestly, I was worried about Bill, but after reading DWM and seeing the trailer and a couple of clips, she's now the reason I'm most hype about S10.
>>
We made it /WHO/
We're no longer off season
>>
HAPPY WHO DAY
>>
>>81623709
Geriatric white man with an ugly nigger bitch and a fat white faggot. What is Moffat trying to tell us?
>>
>>81624591
Why?
>>
>/who/ is now officially on season
>>
>>81628952
That all sorts of different people can time travel?
>>
>>81628899
Oh no, this is where hell begins
>>
>>81628952
That it's time to go to sleep, ravioli.
>>
Doctor Who is not science fiction, faggots. Fight me.
>>
File: dealwithit.gif (1MB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit.gif
1MB, 500x200px
>>
File: misso.jpg (90KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
misso.jpg
90KB, 1920x1080px
guys
I think I'm in love with Michelle Gomez
Post Michelles
>>
I already love Bill.
>>
>>81628892
Agreed. But if you go back and watch the "introducing asBill" clip from last year, she really did seem like crap there, it wasn't just you.

So, brilliant marketing in 2017, or crap marketing in 2016?
>>
File: C9UI76ZVYAAJOhg.jpg (64KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
C9UI76ZVYAAJOhg.jpg
64KB, 1200x627px
>>81628899
>>81628932
>>81628984
Woooohooo!
>>
what if The Doctor's study at the university is actually another tardis
>>
>>81628952
that you don't like people of any color/race/species/gender/age

are you an alien?
>>
>>81629075
It is not, you are right
>>
File: sue_white_dummy.jpg (50KB, 244x368px) Image search: [Google]
sue_white_dummy.jpg
50KB, 244x368px
>>81629082
>ywn sit on Michelle's lap and be her puppet
>>
RACHEL TALALAY BTFO
>>
Star Wars has a new character called Rose

BTFO
>>
What defines the present? Why are you experiencing time and things as of this very moment? Why can't present be in a second?
>>
>>81629128
And it shouldn't be. (Sorry, Mr Bidmead.) Why should it, unless someone actually believes that "real science fiction" is a respectable genre but sciency fantasy is not?
>>
File: apple.jpg (21KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
apple.jpg
21KB, 615x409px
>>81629082
>>81629152
>ywn be the apple in Michelle's lap
>>
File: 1492000263910.gif (2MB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
1492000263910.gif
2MB, 400x303px
>>81629232
>2017
>caring about Star Wars
>>
>>81629248
You are experiencing things a second later. It's just a different you that appears to be continuous because humans have evolved to fool ourselves into thinking it is continuous, because statistically the you a second from now is very likely to have memories and experiences that are those of you right now plus things that happened in the intervening second.
>>
>>81629259
You are correct again. What a madman!
>>
File: C8-8LFhWAAAuvNy.jpg (173KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C8-8LFhWAAAuvNy.jpg
173KB, 795x1200px
>>81629292
>2017
>caring about Dr Who

kek
>>
I just started watching Old Who and it feels so much better than New Who, what the hell happened?
>>
>>81627058
The Shoal of the Winter Harmony

Dunno. Seems like we'll be focusing on both the Monks and the Master, and if those two aren't connected then a lot of the focus will be spread thin. It seems like Moffat made up the Shoal with the intent of using them more.
>>
File: miles dwm233.png (1MB, 665x2113px) Image search: [Google]
miles dwm233.png
1MB, 665x2113px
>>81629075
>t. Lawrence Miles
>>
>>81624810
i've seen the trailers
>>
File: done with life.gif (493KB, 245x220px) Image search: [Google]
done with life.gif
493KB, 245x220px
>>81629355
>2017
>caring
>>
>>81629370
It kind of depends on which Classic Who you're watching. There's plenty of crap that will change your mind, and most likely also plenty that's even better than what you've already seen. It's a pretty diverse show.
>>
>>81629388
Trailers always take lines out of context
>>
Holy shit, this is the first series since 2013 to not have "who's the mystery woman"

>2013: WHO/HOW IS THE IMPOSSIBLE GIRL
>2014: WHO IS THE LADY IN THE GARDEN
>2015: WHO IS THE LADY AT THE END OF THE TRAILER
>>
>>81629232
Doctor Who has a lot more Roses, so we still win:
>Rose Tyler
>Rose Tyler the dog
>Rose the Cat
>Susan/Arkytior/Rose
>Rose from Devil Goblins of Neptune
>Miss Rose from Benny's class
>…
>>
>>81629544
Rosita.
>>
>>81629444
I don't care if you got trips, mark my words, I'll be proven right, and you'll be crying into a carton of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.
>>
>>81629531
Don't forget:
>2016: WHO IS THE LADY IN CHARGE OF BBC DURING THE REORG WHO KEPT DOCTOR WHO OFF THE AIR FOR A YEAR
>>
>>81629427
I'm going from the beginning, currently in the first doctor. Can you recommend me some arcs?
>>
>>81629568
Yeah, that too. And probably a dozen more. I'll bet TARDIS Data Core has a page full of them, but Wookieepedia doesn't have a Rose disambig page at all (or if they do it's under a "Legends" tab or something).
>>
>>81629667
The Aztecs
The Time Meddler
The War Machines

All very breezy, well-paced Hartnell 4 parters which give you a flavour of the Doctor and most of his companions.
>>
>>81629370
Epic bro! I, too, was /borninthewronggeneration/.
>>
>>81629737
I really enjoy the slow pace of Classic Who.
>>
>>81629370
Old Who is primarily a space opera with the focus on the plots, New Who is primarily a soap opera with a focus on characters. That's what happened.
>>
>>81629901
Me too. Some of the early stories do drag though, even if you watch one episode at a time. But there's always a gem or a great character moment etc. tucked away in there to make it all worth it.
>>
I just tried watching the Deadly Assassin and it bored the shit out of me. Is this normal? What are the most fun episodes of Classic Who?
>>
>>81629964
If you want some fun Tom Baker, try a story which features him, Sarah and Harry... or a Tom/Romana story.
>>
>>81629901
In that case, I have a serious love for the framing and pace of The Keys of Marinus. It's a bit silly and inconsistent in parts, but on the whole worth it.

When you get to Two, The Enemy of the World, The Web of Fear, and The Mind Robber are easily some of his best.
>>
>>81629907
>primarily a space opera
But half the stories aren't in space (more than half if you count all Hartnell's historicals)
>>
>>81629964
Deadly Assassin is GOAT and you should feel ashamed. But if you want fun Classic Who, try City of Death.
>>
>>81629667
By "arc" did you just mean individual stories? (If you meant "story arcs" in the modern-Who sense, they didn't do that often, and generally not that well when they did.)

I assume you want to try all the Doctors, so here's two good ones by each that collectively cover as much ground as possible:

1: The Aztecs, The War Machines
2: The Enemy of the World, The Mind Robber
3: The Mind of Evil, Frontier in Space
4: Pyramids of Mars, City of Death
5: Kinda, Mawdryn Undead
6: Vengeance on Varos, Two Doctors
7: Remembrance of the Daleks, Ghost Light
8: TV Movie

Scramble those 15 stories in random order. Once you know which of those you like the most, it'll be easier to recommend more.
>>
>>81629922
>even if you watch one episode at a time
That's a really important thing.

Some of them, yeah, they're just padded and boring.

But a lot of them are perfectly well paced for watching one at a time but feel boring if you binge them.
>>
>>81630101
I binged most of the Hartnell stories and still loved them. I love sitting down and being immersed in the stories for 2-3 hours. I watched the entire War Games in one sitting too.
>>
>>81629964
>City of Death
>The Sontaran Stratagem
>Mind of Evil
>The Face of Evil
>Ark In Space
>Pyramids of Mars
>>
>>81630139
>The Sontaran Stratagem
Experiment*
>>
File: 1486519370608.png (42KB, 399x322px) Image search: [Google]
1486519370608.png
42KB, 399x322px
>all those newfags in the stream
embarrassing
>>
>>81630040
>The Web of Fear
I suppose that's the best way to be introduced to recons.

It's one of the worst recons, so if you can handle that, you can handle anything.

But it's only missing one episode out of six, and one that's not entirely essential, so if you can't handle it, you can still enjoy the serial.
>>
>>81630058
I liked the ideas, but I liked reading about the Gallifreyan lore more than I liked watching it. Found it hard to invest.
>>
>>81630133
I think the 60s episodes are ironically easier to binge than the 70s-80s ones.

I think it's because, even at their worst, the 60s episodes feel like a successful stage play poorly adapted for TV, instead of like a bad attempt at TV, and you (well, I, at least) have different expectations for pacing in theater than TV.
>>
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/10-more-teasers-for-the-pilot-83984.htm

1. Wait . . . is this the Christmas special?
2. There’s a moment at 14:31 that immediately made me tear up. This moment is totally one of my favorite Doctor Who moments, now.
3. Funniest line (that I won’t spoil): “Like a penguin with his *** ** ****.”
4. “Is it my imagination, or is this taking longer than normal?”
5. The obvious flaw in the TARDIS’ disguise is revealed.
6. Psychic paper!
7. I gasped out loud at 38:30, when I realized the specific, familiar place the Doctor has taken Bill.
8. “That’s the Doctor for you: [he] never notices the *****.” “I don’t think **** *** ****.”
9. The specificities of a former companion’s exit from the TARDIS become pivotal . . . and it’s kinda heartbreaking.
10. The TARDIS acronym gets redefined. Twice.
>>
>>81630040
>>81630064

Yeah, story arcs. I'll download them immediately.
>>
Guys, go on the /who/ stream we are watching Curse of the Fatal Death
>>
Doctor: “What you’re standing in here is a technological marvel…”
Bill: “Can I use the toilet?”
>>
>>81630386
XD
>>
>>81630306
>"Like a penguin with his ass on fire"
>"That's the Doctor for you, he never notices the shit"
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>81623709
Can someone tell me what's happening in the background? Is Gallifrey on fire?
>>
>>81624752
Why does nardole look like a fat engineer?
>>
>>81630182
If you really want to experience the best of the first two doctors, you're gonna have to watch the occasional recon.

Frankly, the fact they exist at all is a miracle. Some shows of the time like "Adam Adamant Lives!" only have scripts remaining of their missing episodes. All things considered, we're unbelievably.
>>
>>81630306
1. There's a brief Christmas scene.
8. "That's the Doctor for you, he never notices the tears."
9. "“IF SOMEONE’S GONE, DO PHOTOGRAPHS REALLY HELP?”
>>
>>81630495
engineer?
>>
>>81630513
*unbelievably lucky
>>
>>81630407
>Bill squats and takes a shit on the TARDIS console
>>
>>81630306
>“That’s the Doctor for you: [he] never notices the penis.”

Bill is a trap confirmed
>>
>>81630513
Well, probably eventually they'll all be animated, which may be better for some people.

But yeah, I was being serious, not sarcastic, when I suggested watching Web of Fear to ease into watching recons. If someone likes Web of Fear, you can hand them The Crusade and know they'll enjoy it.
>>
>>81630527
NARDOLE
>>
>>81628899
Reminder that one more day until /who/ is kill.
>>
Do we know how the TARDIS looks like without the Police Box disguise?
>>
File: toiletroll.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
toiletroll.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>81630828
yes, a lame toilet roll tube
>>
>>81630828
Yes, it's a dull grey metal box, or maybe a dull grey metal cylinder, depending on which episode (or comic strip) you look at, but always one of those two.
>>
File: pyramid.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
pyramid.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
>>81630875
Big Finish decided on a pyramid (a bit like the Rani's in S24) before "Name" came out and they switched it to the much shitter cylinder.
>>
>>81630875
That's pretty disappointing. They should make up an episode where it just becomes is the Police Box.
>>
File: Beginning-The-cover.jpg (1MB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Beginning-The-cover.jpg
1MB, 1417x1417px
>>81631047
>>
File: fathersday.jpg (87KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
fathersday.jpg
87KB, 600x428px
>>81631053
>>
>>81630869
>>81631047

That sucks. I expected it to be bigger, like an actual ship.
>>
>Live in 3rd world country
>Watched reboot series of Dr. Who in Netflix with Christopher Eccleston, the 9th doctor
>Then David Tennant
>Then Matt Smith
>Watched the 1st season with Peter Capaldi
>Want to rewatch the whole thing
>Netflix doesn't have it anymore

Anywhere i can watch the whole series online? A lot of the shady sites full on ads barely have all the episodes and a lot of them have broken links.
>>
Are there any really good big finish stories for doctors that aren't 5,6,7,8?
>>
>>81631164
Buy a 1tb external hard drive (they are really cheap these days) and torrent everything. Then you can stream it all to your tv via Plex
>>
>>81631164
Dailymotion
>>
>>81631186
All the Hartnell-era Companion Chronicles are good.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>81631237
>>81631237
>>81631237
>>
>>81631186
Farewell Great Macedon
The Rocket Men
Home Truths/Drowned World/Guardian of the Solar System
Perpetual Bond/Cold Equations/First Wave
The Scorchies
Foe from the Future
Ghosts of Gralstead
The Devil's Armada
The Trouble with Drax
>>
>>81631260
>this early
fack off
>>
>>81630587
Pottery.
>>
>>81631164
Dailymotion has everything, and they're not that shady.

Alternatively, use a front end to the shady sites. For example, install Kodi, add the Exodus or Specto Fork source, and it pulls everything together and you don't have to worry about the ads or the broken links.
>>
>>81631286
>304 post
>on season /who/
>early
no u
>>
>>81627371
You just reminded me of that scene from A Good Man Goes to War where the soldier chick asks the Doctor if he remembers her and the Doctor says yes just to ask who she was after she died. honestly one of my favorite moments in all of Doctor Who.
>But did he have to change because of any of that? Was he forced to confront the price of his hubris, reckon with his own lack of compassion? No. Instead, all he had to do was hack a dalek mainframe and delete himself from their memory banks. What he ultimately does is dodge the consequences of anything that he's ever done. He never suffers and never really loses.
I feel like the Doctor has always been aware of his actions, when River called him out it was less of a "oh shit, really?" moment for the Doctor and more of a moment of confronting who he really is which fits 11's whole escapism thing he had.
>>
>>81631164
Third worlders don't deserve Doctor Who
>>
memes
>>
>>81630869
>>81631047
>>81631158
I like the shitty cylinder. It makes sense that a ship that can turn into anything would be minimalistic in its default state. And why would it be any bigger than it needs to be? That would just make storing them an unnecessary hassle. Unless you store them in rooms that are bigger on the inside :^)
>>
last of the /who/res
>>
File: HOLY SHIT STRING.jpg (211KB, 926x1247px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY SHIT STRING.jpg
211KB, 926x1247px
>>81632586
Not so phast
>>
what
>>
Last of the /who/ lords still
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.