[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/who/ - Doctor Who General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 16

File: bluray.jpg (352KB, 1500x1170px) Image search: [Google]
bluray.jpg
352KB, 1500x1170px
GOAT boxset edition

last thread >>80051596
>>
A few years ago I used to own every single DVD release of Doctor Who. All the limited editions. I had like 8 copies of some serials.

OP image is triggering me and making me want to check what I've missed since.
>>
>>80068871
Will Kris end up in the all time GOAT list?
>>
If it's Kris, I imagine he'll do about 3 series then leave. Hopefully if the production team get their shit together, there'll be a series each year. So, Series 11, 12 and 13 across 2018, 2019 and 2020.
>>
>>80068999
Trips confirm

01. Kris Marshall
02. Christopher Eccleston
03. Paul McGann
04. Peter Capaldi
05. Sylvester McCoy
06. David Tennant
07. Peter Davison
08. Patrick Troughton
09. Matt Smith
10. William Hartnell

Objective Top 10.
>>
So, if you're Nick Briggs, Gary Russell is long gone, you're sitting on the rights to adapt any Virgin novels you want. Do you:

a) Call Larry Miles and see if he wants to adapt Christmas on a Rational Planet
b) Call Larry Miles and tell him you want to have someone else to adapt CRaP instead of him
c) Pussy out and skip it and instead do another Andy Lane novel
>>
File: poi.jpg (36KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
poi.jpg
36KB, 640x640px
>>80069107
reminder that the virgin novels aren't canon
>>
If I was bored as fuck and decided to marathon Doctor Who, should I just stick to the modern series?
Keep in mind I'm the sort of person who found Torchwood more interesting when I was watching, so I'd probably be laughing too hard at the older ones to pay attention to story
>>
>>80069176
reminder that Nick Briggs cares even less about whether something is or isn't canon or what that means than Moffat and Terrance Dicks combined
>>
>>80069253
Watch them all, from Unearthly Child.
>>
>>80069107
A, of course. But the actual Briggs will probably do C (if he keeps doing novels at all).
>>
File: C6BX_YzU0AAii9Z.jpg (52KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
C6BX_YzU0AAii9Z.jpg
52KB, 480x640px
please don't go ;_;
>>
>>80069253
If you honestly can't see the story past laughing at men in rubber suits, but aren't bothered by 12-year-old low-budget CGI, then I think you already know the answer to that question.

But still, I'd give a couple of classic stories a chance just in case. Maybe just look for the ones that have better than usual production values instead of the ones with the best story (but don't go too far with that, or you'll end up with the TV movie).

Or go the other way. Watch Horns of Nimon and have a good laugh. What's wrong with laughing?
>>
>>80069098
>If it's Kris, I imagine he'll do about 3 series then leave
That applies to absolutely any actor. At this point, 3 series is the expected amount of time.

>Hopefully if the production team get their shit together, there'll be a series each year. So, Series 11, 12 and 13 across 2018, 2019 and 2020.
I thought BBC already announced that S11 would be in 2019?

Also, I've since realised that I've actually seen an episode or two of Death in Paradise. Can't say he left any impression on me, but I'm sure he'll do fine as the Doctor.
>>
>>80069646
>I thought BBC already announced that S11 would be in 2019?
I thought there haven't been any announcements at all beyond Chibnall being in charge, and the 2019 was just fans guessing based on his interviews?
>>
>>80069748
That sounds likely. I get all my information from /who/, to be honest.
>>
>>80069646
>Can't say he left any impression on me, but I'm sure he'll do fine as the Doctor.
Yeah, this happened to me with Matt Smith. I saw him in some period piece with Billie Piper before he played the Doctor, barely registered with me. I didn't like much of Smith's era but he himself turned out a really good Doctor. It's hard to judge a lot these actors ability to play the Doctor based on a few usually generic previous roles. We don't get to see the auditions usually.
>>
>>80070001
When Eccleston was announced, I remember thinking he's a great actor, and obviously works well with RTD, but he is definitely not the Doctor and this is going to be a disaster.

I also thought McGann was going to be the best Doctor ever and there's no way they could possibly screw it up with him in the TARDIS.

At some point, I stopped trusting my initial take on these things…
>>
>>80069646
I've seen quite a few episodes of Death in Paradise and think he'd make a pretty good Doctor. A the series went on and they stopped exaggerating his character's clumsiness he showed a pretty good range, particularly when he gets angry in one or two of them.

If it is him, dis gon b gud.
>>
>>80070098
Even if he's good, which I don't doubt he could be, it just feels like playing it super safe which I can't help but be disappointed by.
>>
>>80070061
McGann is the best Doctor but you need more than a good lead for a good show. Writing is everything.
>>
>>80070292
>McGann is the best Doctor
He's a nice guy but there really isn't anything exceptional about his Doctor. He's sort of generic.
>>
File: 030.jpg (120KB, 432x459px) Image search: [Google]
030.jpg
120KB, 432x459px
>>80068928
>A few years ago I used to own every single DVD release of Doctor Who.

where are they? i'll have them
>>
>>80069425
Who wrote this?
>>
I have an important question for this thread. So, I want to start Doctor Who, but i want to see the very beginning. I know the dumb fucks of back then destroyed most of the eps, so my question is this. How can I watch DW from the beginning. Or should I just start with the modern series?
>>
>>80070292
>McGann is the best Doctor but you need more than a good lead for a good show. Writing is everything.
Based on Big Finish, he's the second best (after Davison) with decent scripts, and the second best (after Colin) with great scripts, but not the best at anything. And I think he'd be easier to write for on TV than Davison or Colin, but not as easy as, say, Tom or Tennant. So it's unlikely he'd have been the very best Doctor in any alternate timeline.

But my point was basically the same as yours—the very idea I had that any actor could be good enough that "there's no way they could screw it up with him in the TARDIS" is just ridiculous. (Hey, I was young and stupid when I thought that…)
>>
>>80069098
Why can't we have more than 3 series if the Doctor is good?
>>
>>80070583
http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/How_Do_I_Get_Into_Doctor_Who%3F
>>
>>80070583
Fortunately, most of the missing episodes have since been recovered, in pretty decent quality (especially after restoration).

There are still a few gaps with the first two Doctors. For those, you can watch animated recons where available, or telesnap recons, or listen to the soundtrack, or read the Target novelisation, or just skip them, since you've still got about 25 years' worth of non-missing episodes to watch.
>>
>>80070644
Because none of the actors ever want to do more. Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi all talked about wanting to break Tom Baker's record when they started, but after three series they were burnt out. And I doubt we're ever going to find a Doctor who loves the show as much as Tennant did.
>>
>>80070739
>a few
Aren't there still like 90 missing episodes?
>>
>>80070362
In the movie he was in the books and audios he's the most three dimensional of the bunch.
>>
>>80070777
DW is a lot of work. 9 months filming in Cardiff, then shipped all around the place for interviews and conventions. Plus 3 series just feels right for actors to nail their Doctors and then leave before shit gets samey.
>>
>>80070796
It's a lot of episodes but in the old series stories could go for between 4 and 12 episodes, so it's not really that many stories.
>>
File: 1460410746268.jpg (336KB, 1599x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1460410746268.jpg
336KB, 1599x1063px
>>80070362
He's kind of a tragic figure - I think McGann described it as "bruised nobility" once. Starts out very romantic and impulsive, then slowly gets worn down by the approaching War, what he discovers about Samson and Gemma, having amnesia, losing a heart, everyone who dies in To the Death, etc, until at the end he's to the point of renouncing his Doctor-ness and dying. Like he's literally too good for this universe.
>>
File: 1379784889258.jpg (18KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
1379784889258.jpg
18KB, 500x289px
>>80070857
I've read a few of his books and listened to a few of his audios. Like I said, he's a nice guy, and he has a good voice, but there just doesn't feel like anything special about his Doctor. He's not bad, but I can't really see why anybody would say he's the best.
>>
>>80070913
I believe the total is 97 episodes over 16 stories. Which may sound like a lot, but when you consider how many episodes or stories there are if you want to watch all of Classic Who, I don't think you'd feel too shortchanged skipping them, unless you really liked Ben & Polly.

Of course once you've watched them all and become a die-hard fan, then you will start feeling shortchanged. And at that point, you can come back and watch the recons or read the novels or whatever like the rest of us.
>>
>>80071006
Not forgetting that, if you can get hold of 'em, a handful of those 97 have since been animated
>>
>>80070583
As anon has said, all the missing episodes have reconstructions. I'd say at least give the reconstructions a shot, you will miss important stuff if you just skip them.
>>
>>80071055
I thought I mentioned that in the first place?

But to add on: I can see skipping, say, Power of the Daleks because the animation is crap if that really bothers you, but when you get to something like Ice Warriors or Invasion, you can probably get through through episodes of bad animation for six episodes of original live video.
>>
File: REEE.jpg (168KB, 695x733px) Image search: [Google]
REEE.jpg
168KB, 695x733px
>>80071144
>skipping Power of the Daleks for any reason
>>
>>80071143
>I'd say at least give the reconstructions a shot
The only problem is that going in order means the first recon you run into is Marco Polo, which is one of the roughest ones, and also one of the longest. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it if I'd only seen three classic Who stories beforehand.
>>
>>80071264
Hey, I rewatched the LC after watching the B&W animated version, and as a kid my copy of the Target fell apart from being read too many times. But I don't want to scare away a new fan by telling him he has to watch the bad animation or he might as well skip all of classic Who.
>>
Hypothetically lets say they brought back ether Matt Smith, David Tennant or Paul McGann how would it work? would they play just a different personality?
>>
>>80071352
It is long but I found it pretty easy to get through because it's a decent story and is still nice to look at due to the sets and costumes. And that was when I had only seen the three classic who stories beforehand.
>>
>>80071558
Tennant has already been retconned into being technically both 11 and 12, and he played them the same say, so he could play technically-15 the same way. Or he could play him totally different, and they could make a thing about how he chose the familiar face to trick people into misreading him. Or countless other possibilities. It only depends on what the writers want to do with him (and his range as an actor, but he's got more than what we saw him do as the Doctor).

For McGann, really, only the hardcore fans would care if he was too much like the BF Eighth Doctor, and more of them would be happy than annoyed, so there's even less of a constraint.
>>
>>80070521
Craig ferguson
>>
>>80071623
OK, cool. I didn't want to assume that my liking it meant anything, but if you went into it the same way as the anon asking, and you liked it, that's a pretty solid recommendation.

Oh, also, you probably watched the v2 recon, and he certainly will, which has a lot more photos to work with than the v1, so it's actually not quite as rough as I was remembering…
>>
>>80071623
One last thought (more for a friend of mine who's considering watching the missing episodes but isn't fully committed yet, than for the anon who asked above):

You think it would be worth watching the 35-minute summary-recon of Marco Polo on the Edge of Destruction DVD first, and then deciding whether to go back and watch the full 3 hours? Or just dive right in, and if you can't take it, you'll figure it out pretty quick?
>>
>>80072103
I've seen that version and it leaves out a lot of cool stuff, but I guess it could be a good way of testing the waters on recons.
>>
What are you listening to /who/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVhpyJePAk
>>
>>80073407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzGNHXX2luw
>>
>>80073407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5dt_8xXgqo
>>
File: NgsDmQ9.jpg (227KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
NgsDmQ9.jpg
227KB, 1680x1050px
11 had the best group of companies out of any era.
>>
>>80074173
nah
>>
File: enemyworld.jpg (54KB, 608x342px) Image search: [Google]
enemyworld.jpg
54KB, 608x342px
>>80074173
Best companion team: Jamie & Zoe
Second best: Jamie & Victoria
Third best: Jamie & Samantha, even if she doesn't count as a companion
>>
>>80074681
Doctor: Hello, would you care to join us for an orgy?
>>
File: spacepirates.jpg (66KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
spacepirates.jpg
66KB, 720x480px
>>80074827
>Doctor: Hello, would you care to join us for an orgy?
Yeah, his look in this shot is exactly why I picked it over any of the shots with Zoe, because he's usually either passed out or panicky, but that one is perfect.
>>
>>80074173
Wtf is wrong with you? Asshole. Amy was fucking irritating, River Song was just a cunt and Rory was decent. Your opinion is wrong.
>>
File: 1385181507908.jpg (98KB, 700x565px) Image search: [Google]
1385181507908.jpg
98KB, 700x565px
>>80074681
>>80074963
>>
File: 1386353820813.png (11KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1386353820813.png
11KB, 400x300px
Don't forget to visit /lbg/>>80068191
(We miss you guys;()
>>
>>80074681
Two probably had the best companions overall, but if you only count TV, I'd probably put Eleven somewhere on the list. Amy & Rory may be the poor man's Victoria & Jamie, but that's still better than the rich man's Tegan & Adric.
>>
>>80075111
Amy didn't deserve Rory. She basically bullied him.
>>
>>80075111
>if you only count TV… Amy & Rory may be the poor man's Victoria & Jamie
While if you count everything, they're the poor man's Fitz & Trix. (They're the characters Moffat stole dialogue from, after all.)
>>
>>80075280
All Moffat men are looking for a woman who can bully them. The ones who make fun of your bad jokes and order you around, like Lynda from Press Gang or Sue from Coupling, are the keepers; the ones who put up with you are eventually going to cheat on you and leave you, like Becky from Joking Apart. So when Amy goes from putting up with Rory to bullying him, that's when he knows he's safe.
>>
>>80075089
>The mission of /lbg/ is to promote the highest possible standards of film logging and reviewing by providing members with opportunities for professional development, by recognizing technical competence through examinations and by advancing the interests of its members.
Is this where /ptg/'s pasta came from?
>>
Abslom Daak on screen when?
>>
>>80076351
S8
>>
So much for that trailer you liars.
>>
File: enemy-04.jpg (50KB, 761x569px) Image search: [Google]
enemy-04.jpg
50KB, 761x569px
I forgot when Enemy of the World. Only about 10 months before these fashions are in all the shops. I can't wait; 2017 collars are way too small.
>>
>>80076351
Time Heist S8
>>
>>80076562
Oh come now Harry, the ministry doesn't send people to Azkaban for blowing up their Aunts.
>>
>>80077373
I don't get it Minister Fudge.
>>
>>80069107
Last time I heard, Briggs never returned any of Miles' emails. I'm not sure who at Big Finish is even on speaking terms with Larry.
>>
>>80075780
What do I look for if my ideal is Sally from Coupling
>>
File: voord.jpg (129KB, 1000x417px) Image search: [Google]
voord.jpg
129KB, 1000x417px
Could the Voord be done well in the modern series?
>>
File: IMG_1906.jpg (404KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1906.jpg
404KB, 1240x1754px
Lads, what do I ask the barber for if I want my hair like McGann's in pic related?
>>
>>80078851
You show him the picture and say that's what you want.

Just try to say "like this picture" instead of "like pic related", unless your barber frequents 4chan.
>>
>>80078851
"Just fuck my shit up."
>>
>>80078266
Why would you want to? The only people who remember the Voord are hardcore fans, who enjoy them being the butt of the "non-threatening alien threat" joke in half the novels.

But if you really wanted to do something with them, maybe instead of men in rubber suits with silly helmets and no particularly advanced or interesting tech, you could go back to Terry Nation's original script and make them "creepy eel-like alien"?
>>
>>80078924
Basically this; barbers are used to weird requests
>>
>>80076948
Wasn't Enemy of the World set in 2016?
>>
>>80080108
>>
File: Benik.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Benik.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>80080108
>Wasn't Enemy of the World set in 2016?
No, it's definitely 2018.

Although the RT article "Who Sets the Fashion?", from the same week as episode 2, says this Astrid's outfit is what we'll all be wearing in 2017… But then for male fashions in 2017 it only shows Kent's timeless professorly turtleneck look, so I think we men have to wait another year for the high collars and low necklines and shiny mini-corset things that the women are already wearing.
>>
>>80080627
That guy actually pretty real-life early-80s. And Salamander himself would fit in at a new-romantic or goth club in the 80s, too. I think they just predicted too far ahead.
>>
>>80077688
He did that Benny audio back when Eddie Robson was producing the range. And a short piece for a Paul Cornell-edited anthology.
>>
>>80073407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4JGmpnqyHc
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.