[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nepal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: LB Peak.jpg (160KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
LB Peak.jpg
160KB, 750x563px
Anyone here spent much time in Nepal?

It's pretty much been a dream of mine for a while to get into mountaineering and at the end of this year I'll finally have some time. Heading up one of the trekking peaks in Nepal looks like the perfect intro.

Anyone got any advice on which peak to choose? Looking for the 'coolest', most technical peak that a fit 22 year old with some rockclimbing experience could attempt.
Or general advice on climbing mountains and visiting Nepal
>>
>>1289757
No one?
For either mountaineering or general Nepali advice? I'm surprised, thought both topics would be pretty popular.
>>
>>1290132
I'm one of the very few people on /trv/ that does some mountaineering. Wouldn't know about Nepal, but don't aim too high if you've never done this before and have no experience with high altitude.

What I do know is that Nepal is quite expensive for climbing. Almost joined an Ama Dablam expedition last year (was stuck in Africa so nothing came of it) but it would've cost me 5-6k for a month.

Also this is a slow board, give it some time, Nepal will get some answers.
>>
>>1290149
Also, for mountaineering, >>>/out/ is a better place. There's a mountain thread right now: >>>/out/1080948
>>
>>1289757
3 weeks in Nepal last Dec, not a climber but did ABC trek.

I don't know why you think the Himalaya is the perfect intro to mountaineering... have you been at altitude before?
>>
>>1290147
>What I do know is that Nepal is quite expensive for climbing.
Really?
I always figured Nepal would be a pretty cheap destination for mountain sports given their popularity over there.
The trips I've been looking at are falling around $2-3k which seems reasonable for a 3 week trip with sherpas and equipment.

>>1290373
Yeah, I've done some trekking up to 4800m before but nothing technical.

As for why. That's just what I've heard about the ''trekking peaks'', they're supposed to be a level between trekking and mountaineering where you can get the experience needed to tackle taller peaks.
>>
I'll throw my two cents in- I'm a mountaineer and have worked in adventure travel.

Mountaineering in Nepal is really pricey. Nepal doesn't have much by way of natural resources or industry, so a huge amount of revenue is made from tourism and mountain permits. Everest is notorious for this, $15,000 USD is not unheard of for an Everest Permit. Lower mountains are cheaper, but can still be really expensive, just like our Anon who was looking at Ama Dablam said.

As for technical peaks in Nepal- if you don't have much mountaineering experience, no. Learn the basics somewhere else (Rockies, Cascades, Alps etc) and get a few good routes under your belt before tackling anything in the Greater Ranges. Mountaineering has a lot of overlap with climbing and trekking, of course, but it also has some skills that you won't find outside of mountaineering as a discipline (Snow/avalanche stuff, glacier travel).

If you're serious about technical peaks and have the cash to go to Nepal, I'd recommend doing something like a Wilderness Mountaineering Course by someone like NOLS, the International School of Mountaineering or similar. NOLS have one in Alaska that looks superb- https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/courses/alaska-mountaineering-AKM/

Build up your skills, learn your craft and aim to for the Greater Ranges after a few years.

Hope that helps
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.